Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm and I'm Stephen, and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheersmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you? Yeah, I'm okay?
Speaker 2: How are you not bad?
Speaker 1: Tiring? First day back? Yeah? Yeah, So I'm update for the podcast. I'm changing my job. Whoa, And today is my first day back after Christmas, and I'm leaving in a few weeks. And let's just say today cemented that I'm pretty glad I'm leaving. You reade the right choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exciting times ahead, Yeah, hopefully. How long have you got left?
Speaker 1: Three and a half weeks? Not long? That's good. Now, how's everything with you? Fine?
Speaker 2: Catching up on all the emails that have stacked up over Christmas, which feel battling through, but we're nearly there. We'll by the end of this week we back up to normal cool.
Speaker 1: Last week's hair was love is a Stranger It just shows like love is a stranger thing than anything else in this world, even if it is for a bloody football club. Did you spot it? Nicely done?
Speaker 2: I didn't actually spot it. Now there will be another one somewhere in today's episode.
Speaker 1: Keep an eye out, of course, as always.
Speaker 2: And today we are back with episode two of series five. Quite a big one. I feel death be not proud.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: The summary from Instavnum nine wiki. Young couple Beat and Sam are finally on the property ladder, but the only flat that they can afford has a darkened, sinister past, one that demands to be heard. This episode of the crossover seaquel to Shearsmith and Peberton's previous projects. Indeed, yeah, I guess we get it out the way immediately. So for people that haven't seen it, this is a return of two characters to very popular characters from their previous series Psychovill Yeah, which I believe you've seen as well.
Speaker 1: I have. Now, I was going to bring this up the fact that obviously, you know, when they made this, there's an element of some people will have seen psycho Villains. Some people won't. Yeah, And when I was first watching through Inside Number nine, i'd not seen it.
Speaker 2: No, and I debated with you how much I should tell you in advance, and like whether I should say anything. I'll just let you see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you told me anything, did you know? I don't think I did. And from what I remember, I still enjoyed it. I mean, having gone back and watched Psychoville since I think it's enriched it. Yeah, but I think it still works even if you haven't seen it, Yeah, because they sort of tell you everything you need to know. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of obviously little nin jokes that you probably wouldn't get. Yeah, but yeah, Inside of Nine I think was the first of their works that I saw. But by the time of this series, I think I had already gone back and watched the Gentlemen' Psychoville, so I didn't know about them obviously. And that moment when the door opens and the music and the theremin kicks in or whatever it is, yeah, like oh wow, because I hadn't had it spoiled for me at all. I think this is when I watched live. Yeah, it was awesome, fantastic, But we're jumping ahead, we're jumping ahead.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah. I was curious as to why why they chose to do this though, Why they chose to bring back two characters from another show. Well, I sort of have answers. Ah.
Speaker 2: So apparently their plan they'd always thought the crux of the story being wouldn't it be interesting to have a story about someone that moves into a flat where some serial killers lived, and like I think it was Steed had grown up like in close proximity to where Dennis Nielsen had lived and apparently used to walk past this house and wonder like what the subsequent occupants of this house would think? Mmm, and like, yeah, you've got a bargain. But you also know that people died here horribly and that's sort of spark the episode.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then they kept going on the line, you know, working it out, and they were like, well, we've got to come up with who the serial killers are? Yeah, and then they were like, well we've got some. They were like, okay, this would work. And apparently the line of get that baby boiled was what sold into them when they came up with that, Yeah, and they were like, yeah, okay, we've got to do it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I suppose because obviously Psychoville got kind of terminated and not renewed when they had ideas of what they wanted to do. So I think maybe this gave them the chance to. Yeah, they explore some of that.
Speaker 2: There was always the plan apparently that David and Emily would end up together have a baby. Yeah, so yeah, it's nice they got to sort of carry on in a way.
Speaker 1: Yes, So should we kind of go from the beginning then, yeah, it probably should because so we've got, you know, this nice young couple being sam sweet couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, moving into the recently renumbered number two to number nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, is that how realistic is that to be people do that?
Speaker 2: Oh no, but I think I remember them saying somewhere on an interview or something that they'd gone back and looked and hoped against Hopia would have been a nine by chance.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately it wasn't. It's just a bit like, you know, it's a little bit of a stretch that they were like, oh, you know, because of what happened, they had to change all the numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone in the whole building now lives in a different flat exactly. Yeah, the confusion with people turning up and knocking on the wrong doors later, Yeah, for the next six six months, Grandma's two flows down because you don't know where you live anymore. I identified so hard with the like bagging the nail in the wall, like can.
Speaker 1: You do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we owned the thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Yeah, she's quite a sweet character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they both are. Actually I buy them as a couple. I mean you don't get to see them together for very long. No, there's not many scenes where they're actually together.
Speaker 1: But no, it's sort of a fake one in a way, Like not fake, but you think the whole story is going to be just about them. Yeah, and you've got no idea that it's this other thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They said that they're trying to treated it a bit of a Janet Leey situation in Psycho that they build Jenna Coleman as being this main character and it kind of isn't really that much to do with her, and used that to mask what the real story was. Yeah, because they desperately tried to keep the actual story a secret.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Apparently it did leak though, because of some Chinese YouTube channel. Oh you coup the Chinese YouTube. They did their own Inside and nine trailer for the series airing, knowing that needed to be kept secret. I see, and they tried to keep it like hushed it up. But yeah, they'd try and really push the pictures of Jenna Coleman and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, because especially I guess.
Speaker 2: Around this time she'd have been in Doctor Who not long since she was still probably riding that a bit in the public consciousness. But apparently because obviously they recent her had worked together in Sleep No More, of course, and she'd said that she was a big fan, so they'd managed to her. Oh nice, find an episode for.
Speaker 1: Her, that's nice, yeah, lovely? Yeah yeah, an episode that you're hard. Yeah. Well I did see as well that Steve was saying that for any sort of super fans and eagle eyed people, when the titles get released and you know that it's called death being not Proud, there's a there's a chance for you to work it out if you know the famous scene in Psychoville, Yeah, which gets replicated here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to sound really bad, like I have watched Psychoville, but it's that long ago that I'm struggling to remember everything about it.
Speaker 1: I've only watched it once same as well. I watched it probably about a year ago. I think I watched one episode today to sort of refresh myself a little bit. The rope one, Yeah, that is a great which apparently was the kind of catalyst for the whole series of Insnumber nine, wasn't it doing something in one? Yeah? One room? It's nice.
Speaker 2: It's sort of come full circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, anyway, so spooky stuff starts happening to be Am.
Speaker 2: I reading too much into it that it being four fourteen adds.
Speaker 1: Up to nine? Are you what was four fourteen?
Speaker 2: That's when the clock show is four fourteen on earth alarm clock. When she wakes up and crap happens.
Speaker 1: I would say, yes, but actually probably not. You probably aren't reading too much into it. Yeah, probably they needed a time. They thought, I'll make the digit set up to nine. Why not. Yeah. So this is one that obviously on a first watch, is completely different to when you know what's going on, Because on a first watch, I think all that spooky stuff happening to her in the night is quite terrifying. Yeah, but when you actually know what's happening, and you know the character that's coming so stupid, it's kind of funny, like the ping rolling down the corridor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really know why the hoover's on the table. I'm guessing there's some reference that I can't remember. I don't know one little nippick. Why is the I CGI that's rolling down the hallway? M I don't know why it needs to be And it's so jarring for me now every time I watch it, I'm like, why is this really obviously CGI eyeball ping.
Speaker 1: Pong pole rolling down the hallway?
Speaker 2: Because I was watching the second time, second re watch a day and I was like, oh, well, maybe it's because they need it to end facing upwards or something. Yeah, and they couldn't do it, but it doesn't. It just cuts while it's rolling. I don't know why they couldn't have done that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, because it probably costs more to do it in CGI than you just roll a ping pong ball along the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that shot costs fifteen p you've already got the ping pong.
Speaker 1: Who knows? Who knows? I don't know how much for listeners who haven't seen Psychoville Because they might not understand a lot of these references. But then I don't want to spoil anything. Wo, that's a good point to me that you go and watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll spoil what we absolutely have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can get it on Amazon, I believe. Yeah, so, yeah, I would recommend it.
Speaker 2: Then Sam turns up and they have a little chat. Now, I want to know what that you are susceptible line means, well, what has happened in the past to them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What she done?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I have no idea what she might have done in the past, But I feel like it's there for two reasons, like obviously to give us a bit of foreshadowing for the end, and then also, like I was saying, like this, it's sort of like a slight fake out of a story that you think so that they think there's more going on than there actually is. Yeah. True, that's going to be explored before the other characters come in. But yeah, yeah, susceptible to what susceptible to being possessed? I assume she's being possessed at something or been haunted. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've just moved out of the Amityville house.
Speaker 1: But the thing is he's he's really skeptical, like he doesn't believe in anything's going on. So does he just mean she's like gullible and suggestible and believes in all that stuff. Maybe that's what he means. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe Yeah, maybe she's massively into tarot cards and mediums and all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, he says they're going to get in touch with the previous owner, see if they can shed any light. Yeah, which, you know, give a what we find out later. I'm like, how how do they get in touch with the previous owner? Yeah? I don't know, and he comes very quickly as well.
Speaker 2: I don't want to find plot holes because I love this episode. Yeah, but there are a lot of weirdness of like, well, if they've just renumbered the flats, surely then the previous owner is this serial killer. That's the reason their house is cheaper.
Speaker 1: No, oh, I see what you mean, like that they've only just done it, so it must have just happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, surely the previous owner is the.
Speaker 1: It was about ten years ago that this all happened. I think so, because I think they did it in time in the timeline of when the actual show aired.
Speaker 2: But wouldn't you just think that the massively cheapened house would only really stand for the next seller, and then after that they brush it under the carpet and plhen it never happened and put it back up to its nobel price.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's been empty for all this time? Oh true? Maybe? Yeah? Yeah, no one wanted it, who knows. I have a question. I don't really understand why why her dinner looks like a face then turns the sausage around to make it smile. It's such a weird little bit. It's something I would do, something I would do. I always think of this.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, is it just coincidence that it looks like a face and then she's noticed it and she's gonna we'll correct that and turn the sausage around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, what's the point of putting it in the episode?
Speaker 2: Like I'm guessing it's, like you said, it is trying to build the being some sort of other plot and maybe she's a bit crazy or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, possibly, But it's so bizarre, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's that hot and cold showers thing. Again, if you just had a creepy scene we'll have a joke here and light in the mood for a moment. I also imagine there's some runner somewhere cooking a sausage, trying to make it curl into a smiley face when it fetching of the pack. That's old. He's all cooked straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is the moment the reveal lock at the door.
Speaker 2: It's the fact that you already know who it is by the terrible haircut, terrible even turn. Yeah yeah, good old David's Towerbut yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Is very weird because the Psychoville universe. Obviously this takes place in the Psychoville universe. Yeah, and the characters in that are so cartoonish and like sketch characters, and we've had Beattie and Sam they feel so real. Yeah, so it's very strange when David comes in, and I feel like Steve's toned it down a bit for the for this scene, like he's playing a slightly realer version of David. Then you get in the flashbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he is ten years older. Some shit's happened to him, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's it's just very funny that you've got these very real characters like Jenna Cormon is playing this really real woman and she's sitting there having this conversation like trying to act how she would act meeting this person in real life, like who is out of a sketch show basically, But yeah, I just thought that was interesting.
Speaker 2: It is I'd say, I love this episode so much that I'm willing to overlook Oh yes, so many things to be like we got it, Like it doesn't work. Really, we have to accept a lot of things for this to really play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we talk about David a little bit as a character. He's a very interesting character, fun character.
Speaker 2: Bless him. He's so innocent but obviously not but so innocent as well.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he's a child in a man's body essentially, isn't it. And I feel listeners drawing in their breath and thinking, oh god, here he's going to bang it bang has drum about this. But he's obviously an autistic stereotype, right to me? Okay, and you know I say stereotype, but like you know, people not dissimilar to this do exist. And obviously he's he's played for laughs largely, but I don't think that's a problem with that necessarily. But I just thought it was. It's funny, isn't it. How A lot of a lot of the tropes that we laugh at and characters do come from neurodivergence, like his his complete misunderstanding of social norms, like when Emily gives him the smoothie and he just takes it and shuts the door in her face, and he takes things literally, like when you know, he says about his mum died and bees like, I'm so sorry, and he's like, well, it's not your fault. And obviously the hyperfixation and special interest in serial killers. Yeah, like it's I don't know if that's deliberate and intentional, but whether they deliberately thought where he's an autistic character or not, that is the kind of person that they're basing him on. So I just thought that was I just thought i'd call that out, yeah and say, yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that tricky thing that it probably wouldn't work with certain characters. Like when you have it, you bring a character back from years ago and like then they're under modern lens and they're down to modern scrutiny. These don't feel too bad, but there certain characters that you couldn't bring back like I don't know if I can. They've gone into League of Gentlemen and you can't have Babs from the taxi. No, you can't know certain characters like that. It's awkward, yes, but I think they get away with it here just about Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that this is this is bad or anything that they've done anything wrong. I'm just I just wanted. I feel it's my duty as a recently diagnosed autistic person to sort of point out the traits that I noticed and be like, it's it's interesting how because so much you know, watching TV shows, so many of the characters that we find entertaining they do have neuro divergent traits. Like again I've mentioned before, I'm watching Buffy, one of my favorite shows. There's a character in that called Anya, who was a demon, a vengeance demon for a thousand years, and then she gets trapped in the body of a teenage girl and she has and she basically is to grow up living as a human. But she's this person who doesn't know how to be human, doesn't know how how to get along in the world. And it's like well, she's she's literally just like an autistic person. You know, she's far too blunt and too honest with people and they don't like it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, I guess a lot of comedy is just subverting expectations and people doing things you don't expect them to do exactly, and that often ends up looking like or is I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and taking things literally, like so much humor just comes from taking things in the in the literal way rather than yeah. But yeah, he's a very entertaining character. Yeah. Is he just doing that with his mouth? Or has he got any teeth in or anything?
Speaker 2: Oh? I assume they're not real.
Speaker 1: Oh he's got fake teeth in. But he's doing something with his mouth as well asn't he?
Speaker 2: Like you know, they all aren't they Emily? I don't know what the hell she's doing with.
Speaker 1: Her mouth, Emily. I love what she does with her mouth is constant, sort of.
Speaker 2: Like half of it's kind of like lost its hinge. It's just bless her. I don't think I've seen the actor in anything else, and I struggle to imagine her as a normal person. Yeah, I mean, so that character.
Speaker 1: Apparently she lives in La and she came back for this. Yeah, so I'm assuming that means she's she's busy working as an actress over there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I saw that, Yeah, that her and the so the director of this also directed all of Psychoville. Yes, and that both of them sort of fell over themselves to come back and do it, and that they were like, we'll move heaven and earth to make sure that we can be in it. Amazing, which, you know, testament to the show and how good an atmosphere it must have been working on it, which is really nice to hear. So many of these shows you find out were awful places to work on. It's nice to get the gang back together. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I listened to the official podcast for this one and they were saying about how they had to get I had a different set designer from Psychoville, but the person had to kind of try and replicate the set from ten years previously with no there were no surviving plans to go on, so it was all just from watching the show and trying to recreate it and.
Speaker 2: Working out, well, the fridge is this high, and later therefore extrapolate Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's seen.
Speaker 2: I guess there is a little bit like I was reading up on it and how they went into storage and god knows where you store these things, but apparently like the kitchen existed, that's the real kitchen, oh right, And the beds were real. They just somehow were still kept in storage so they could reuse them. But a lot of it obviously had to be made from scratch.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I sposed find It.
Speaker 2: Wild, that TV series from probably ten or more years before this still has some of it's set in storage somewhere. There must be so many warehouses full of literally old shit. That's just they're waiting that someone might possibly want need it one day, or they can sell it for a charity auction.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They do a great job though of like redressing it and you're not being able to tell that it's the same space, but when you know, it's kind of obvious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see it's the same like floor plan and all that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Half my notes are just quotes that I really enjoy. Yeah, my favorites is the did she make the smoothies in a blender?
Speaker 1: No, her name was Maurie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were more than flatmates. Yeah, you were mother and son.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well the rest of that scene questionable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So my partner Ben, who when I first started watching Inside Number nine, he watched the first couple of series with me and then he kind of said, oh, I don't know if this is for me, you can carry on with it on your own. So he hadn't seen this episode, but I rewatched it again just before recording to keep it refreshed for myself, and he was he was in the room doing bits and bobs, and he kept stopping what he was doing and looking around and being like, Okay, Yeah, it's one of those, isn't it. I did say, so this is probably one of the weirdest episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have an odd relationship they do.
Speaker 1: It's very worrying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously he's that we assume in the he's the bad one, but Maureene is by far worse.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she's the cause of all of this. Like, yeah, I've been thinking, I don't know if I want to commit to this, but I think it's how I'm feeling right now. I will say that I think Maureen might be my favorite Reese character. Yeah, she's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the most removed from Reese as well. Yes, Like it's such a character, yes, and I buy her totally.
Speaker 1: Oh completely.
Speaker 2: It's such a beautiful cost like down to the padded ankles and lake.
Speaker 1: Oh god, the cankles. Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: The horrible cardigan.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of my favorite lines is when she's you'll love this as well, I know. But when she's she's given him her recipes. You could do a carbon Rah spaghetti hoops in salad cream with a bag of frazzles mixed in. And for pudding you can add my New York Cheesecake Deamily Changle and a digestive. So funny, that's.
Speaker 2: Just what I'm having for all of time now. There's two recipes, the New.
Speaker 1: York Cheesecake Daily Triangle and a digestive. It's just so sort of graciously served up, you know. Before The thing is they're so weird and she is horrible to him a lot of points, but there's also a huge amount of love there. Oh yeah. Like it's quite touching at some points as well. Yeah, and like.
Speaker 2: Clearly how sad he is to be losing her and we find out she's caught cancer. Yes, she went out with wet hair.
Speaker 1: It's a funny turn of phrase, isn't it, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really sweet, like he's worried about her, and obviously she's worried about him, that he has no life.
Speaker 1: Skills because she does everything for him. Yeah literally, Yeah, what did you count? Best to tell? You? Don't tell anyone, be prepared. I also love how you know, we're sort of getting in this introduction to Maureen in their relationship and she's she's going on about the serial killer and how she should have painted a silver vagina on my face, and then it just cuts the beauty, going like she sounds lovely. I've got to say something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't say she sounds like sounds horrific. You're better off without her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We also we haven't mentioned the Soldier Boy, which I mean, it's a thing, isn't it. They commit so hard to love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you said he wanted to have the entire song.
Speaker 1: Apparently, So we also get the black lace at the end Superman and that one was in Psychophlle, wasn't it. But the Soldier Boy one was new for this, wasn't it? I think? But the reason being because that also has a reference. It's a Superman in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they will dance apparently to any song that has the word Superman in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And so the reason for that is for anyone who doesn't know, is that so the psych of an episode I mentioned earlier that was based on rope the Alfred Hitchcock film, which is in turn based on a play for Patrick Hamilton Layers of the Onion, Yeah, which is a great play and one I've always wanted to direct but never got around to. But anyway, that is in turn based on a real life case of two students called Leopold and Loebe who were convinced that they could commit the perfect murder and sort of brag about it and get away with it, basically because they read a lot of Nietzsche and his idea of man and superman, and they thought they could be Superman or be better than man, and they were the best. That's a really rubbish explanation, but no, I didn't know that, but yeah, So that was a real life thing and that then inspired the play, which then inspired the Hitchcock film, which is famous for being for appearing to be all in one take. Yeah. And so the Superman why they chose the song Superman for them to dance too. I love learning new things.
Speaker 2: We've have to dance and through all the routines starting about in our year five Christmas parties.
Speaker 1: She's cool. Yeah, oh wow.
Speaker 2: They play all those horrible, cheesy songs from back then, like Star Treking and all that sort of stuff. I think that had an action or a repeatable Oh yeah, but yes, Steve said he wanted the entire song of Soldier Boy, but they could that. This is the most they thought they could get away with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but apparently they've released YouTube videos of themselves doing it. Yeah, I saw they did it.
Speaker 2: I think was it at the BFI or somewhere that they were doing some interview on stage. I think it was at the BFI or somewhere like that, with a screening and answering questions. And yeah, there's a video of them doing that routine in suits of many people.
Speaker 1: Oh. I think that what I heard was that they I haven't seen them, but apparently they've also done the main character and in costume. Oh, just not connected to the show, but just uploaded randomly. I think that's what question and I got. Yeah, and yeah, you were saying about they've got a strange relationship, and I feel like we do have to kind of mention the toilet scene. Sorry, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to know how that ends.
Speaker 1: No, that was one bit Ben was watching and he was like, he basically came right out and said to me, are they incestuous?
Speaker 2: Well, there are other lines that imply things, So, yeah, what.
Speaker 1: About I was filling a hole where mum had been and something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess the toilet scene is a good shortcut of they're really messed up.
Speaker 1: They're really messed up. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I think if this is sort of normal, what else is going on?
Speaker 1: Yes, But also I mean it's it's like it's very unsettling obviously, like because because David is so innocent and so at her mercy basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's fully taken advantage.
Speaker 1: Because he doesn't understand what's going on, you know, and he's just like, oh, thank You's draw No, yeah it is. It's the way makes eye contact with him.
Speaker 2: That's one of the life Skilty just doesn't have.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately not.
Speaker 2: But yeah, then we get to I don't think anything else happens before she dies, does it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I couldn't remember that this scene was a recreation of the scene from Psychoville. Apparently quite faithfully, just from a different camera angle.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I don't know why, what the what the need was to recreate it.
Speaker 2: I guess they needed the scene she died in to make the story work.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, But because because re said on the podcast he said he assumed they were just going to drop the footage in from Psychoville unless I guess it just didn't look enough camera quality, Maybe yeah, it would have been jarring. Maybe I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Plus they all presumably now we'd look a bit younger in it and it'd be look weird, never mind the camera quality true, and it would show the setup as well potentially as being a bit yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, ye, lots of reasons then sorry, But yeah, this has one of the best, one of the best funniest jokes in it, and I can't believe. I mean, surely someone's made that joke before. It's so begging to be done. No pun intended, John did, David's John did. Yes.
Speaker 2: If those that aren't aware, it's the title of the episode comes from the title to the poem that David.
Speaker 1: Reads the last two lines.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, Death be not Proud by John Donne because it is an odd title if you don't know where it comes from.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, I suppose, Yeah, but yeah, I just think that joke is so perfectly crafted and set up, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Did you just make that up such a serious moment. Yeah, And he's trying to be all philosophical.
Speaker 1: And also the way she dies like she's she's fairly with it, and then she suddenly just slumps.
Speaker 2: I must impart this grammatical information, and then that will be it.
Speaker 1: That will be me or my deathbed, I'll be correcting someone's grammar, which there did you just use? Yeah? And then we've got this sort of continuing sad music after the death over a montage of David trying to cope on his own, with some hilarious scenes of him put a potato in the microwave but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Turn it on. Not only doesn't turn it on, thinks it only takes about three seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way he just tries to bite it. Yeah, bless him. And there blood when he's cutting himself in. It is poor little face he needs looking after, doesn't he. Poor sausage sasage.
Speaker 2: So Emily comes around. I'd forgotten that she was in Taigerville as well, But Yeah, so, like you said earlier, knocks the door, thanks for the smoothie her face, and then the fact that she just knocks and he lets her in.
Speaker 1: It's like she doesn't react to that. Actually, no, exactly, That's what I think. Like she knows him and she understands him, and she's also probably on the spectrum, and so this is it's like a beautiful sort of autistic love story. You know, they share special interests together and they can just be themselves with each other. Like, yeah, to our eyes, it's very weird and they're very weird people, but to each other, they don't seem weird, and I just think it's very sweet. It is quite sweet.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, from that point of view that they probably just found someone else that understands them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they can just be themselves. Yeah, mostly. Yeah, they obviously have a shared interest in the macarb because they both in psychable. They both work for this murder mystery evening company, don't they.
Speaker 2: But don't think that the murders are realistic enough?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, they have great interactions and like we were saying, with her mouth, she kisses him and then she does this weird sort of ooh off to the side that was strange, so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the teaching her about all the Jack the Ripper stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like how he his personality kind of changes when he gets really into his special interests and he's like, you know, no, no, no, whoever it was was not considered one of the canonical five come on and again that there's something this episode does a lot is the kind of framing something as really sad and serious but actually being hilarious. Like again the montage of you need to move on with your life, pack away the things that around you, of your mum, and it's just the ping pong ball eyes like sadly you know it's time for them to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Like it's I don't know her most prized possessions, it's the probably were because you know, the little dress that she was christened in some family heirloom.
Speaker 1: No on them. I love in this scene.
Speaker 2: I hate a trope that's done loads of things, but the photo that changes from being happy to unhappy.
Speaker 1: M of Maureen. That's very funny.
Speaker 2: It will never not make me laugh when someone does that joke in anything.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: I know it's so stupid and silly, but Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a good example of where I was saying, like, this is obviously the psychovill universe, which is a bit surreal and doesn't have to necessarily make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the laws of reality don't need to worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you've got Jenna Coleman just like this very real woman just listening to this story of being like what the fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could do like a little picture and picture in the corner with her reactions to the Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like a YouTube reaction like BT reacts to. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The director did say that they like intentionally shot it differently the scenes that are in the modern flat to the scenes that in the past, and like how his directing style and like how everything was a lot more close ups and things and the old scenes, which is quite cool, which I guess adds to the weirdness.
Speaker 1: Mmm. I mean it feels a lot more sort of static and plain in the modern ones. M like the kind of star you would expect from that kind of episode of in so number nine.
Speaker 2: More grounded, more inverted commas boring, like yeah, just like and then you cut back to the fantastical world of weird people. Yeah, reality doesn't really matter. Yeah, Speaking of which, m So this would be where ghost boring turns up. Yes, well, I guess firstly, the self playing bond Tempe that must have been quite expensive. Presumably they don't make those like they have had to presumingly Jerry rig a bon tempey to be able to because it looks like it's actually playing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was wondering this. They must have. They must have done something clever to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, assuming there's whir like threads in it, like fishing wire and stuff that having to pull keys down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks really cool though. Yeah. And I just love that touch to her character as well, that she used to just sit and play U bon tempee. It's such a.
Speaker 2: Silly word as well, I know it's a real thing. It sounds so her as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, playing it on tempe. Yeah. And also the funny thing is when it's playing by itself, and obviously it's supposed to be her ghost is playing it and she's playing abide with me. It's not perfectly played. It's slightly sort of oh I'm trying my best or not quite very good, you know, but the sort of sloppy I like that bit in the montage when she's playing and David's turning the pages for her, and she's just playing one note over and over over.
Speaker 2: I think it was I'm sure it said Superman on the on the sheet music. I did it, so I'm not sure she's playing the Superman theme music, but I couldn't recognize it as being the beginning of anything. No. Yeah, ghost Maureen turns up at this point. She's been on a cruise ship of the dead.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is brilliant, isn't it? Absolutely brilliant? I mean so much to say, where do we start? I like the choice that they didn't make her a transparent yes figure, she's just lit a bit ethereally, very weirdly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very beautiful effect they've done. And it doesn't bleed into anything else. It's it's oddenly on her. Yeah, they've done it very nicely, very simply, but very nicely.
Speaker 1: Really well done. Then, I just I mean, you know, you're so used to ghosts traditionally being so sort of elegant and you and she's literally just herself. Could you go see the Queen of the Poe? Oh, I've done she takes edges. I look a bit when she's like, oh, it's totally tied. Do I and be on the veil? I can do this, So then just makes a draw fly out.
Speaker 2: It's so matter of fact. Yeah, the line before do you hide in the cupboard? And wood Green gets another show out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't notice that, but yes.
Speaker 2: The blowerse that he got her is in Woodgreen Dog's trust for thirty p How does that make me feel?
Speaker 1: David? Maybe pouline or buy it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or what's his face from cold comfort with the other branch of what?
Speaker 1: Yah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that Stephen Reese just really liked the name Woodgreen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I mean, obviously she's in hell mm hmm, because.
Speaker 2: She would be with all the best people.
Speaker 1: But the way she explains about oh, it's like a cruise ship. I haven't got access to what you'd call the upper deck, but I tell you it's much more fun down below.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey did this cat noises for me?
Speaker 1: We're going to, obviously, you know, address the fact that this story really is about. It's a classic trope of this jealousy between a partner and mother in law and the like, oh feels that the partner is taking the son away from her, and how you know, she gets jealous and she calls her a whore and all that very normal baits. Yeah, and the fact obviously that she essentially her goal is to for him to die so that he can join her in eternity, and so she's tempting him with all his favorite serial killers that she's met down here exactly so well written and well performed, very funny.
Speaker 2: And then so in the seeds about like you know, she's not old, she thinks you think she is, Like why she got a second phone early Wednesday to her clark, Yeah, what'll happened then?
Speaker 1: Because obviously you think you immediately think, well, affair, yeah, dog standard affair. But it turns out to be something a little bit different to that. Yeah, just a little bit. This was another moment where Ben turned round was.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, yeah, so we walk it. Yeah, well it starts as you think it's an affair as well as you can just get the audio off the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a little suck on that. Yeah. Oh you are a big boy, aren't you. Yeah, And then we round the corner and no, you describe it.
Speaker 2: I've got a load of grown adult people dressed as children. One not a changing that I think, like, yes, yeah, apparently that was the other thing. They had it in their notebook of the whole adult babies thing, and like wanting to get that in an episode somewhere, not knowing where it would come in, and they were like, it works perfectly here, let's use it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, of course it does, because the weirdness of Psychoville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything they can get, you can get away with doing any It is.
Speaker 1: An interesting concept and I know, obviously you know it happens in this world. I'm sure it does. And not to make myself sam, but I can sort of understand what he means when he explains it, Like I.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to say in case I come across as a weird out. Yeah, but yeah, he puts it quite eloquently, he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm I'm not going to go and do that, but I can understand where he's coming from. Sure you're not, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: Emily's available for hire. Yeah, Wednesday, he.
Speaker 1: Said, what you knew job is? Oh yeah, well yeah, there was a reason I was keeping that quiet. Yeah, but yeah, we should say as well. This is obviously another returning character from Psychoville. Their boss Robin hm nice for another face to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting as an actor playing that scene.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean he does a brilliant job, doesn't he The way he switches between the dis owner of the baby and then just as himself just explaining the time, brilliant and where he's like, you know, oh, you know, I'm sorry to hear about your mother and all that.
Speaker 2: And then just starts sucking on a bottle and walks off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please excuse me, but I will have to just say before we move on, I have to just do the me, not Robin me, Sally Anne, Sally and frightened Sally and go poop.
Speaker 2: I've just changed it doing that again.
Speaker 1: Is the little pink bow in his hair? I love that he's got an entire character. Yes, and he's not just himself as a baby. He's this character called Sally Anne likes very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could dissect that so many ways. Who knows what's going on in his private life. Yeah, but this scene also has possibly one of it's up there with the Operation You Tree thing from Bernie Clifton and one of my favorite jokes of the entire thing. No, David, don't throw the babies out with the bathwater. How seriously she says it, not in any way you think, realizing what she's said.
Speaker 1: It's a joke. Yeah, for me, it's the you know, talking about the funny things she does with her mouth. It's that when he calls her a whore and that very strange noise she makes as she goes off to the side. Oh, I don't remember that. So he called. He says, Mum was right, you are a whore, and she just her face starts to crumble. Then she just goes off. They're so strange.
Speaker 2: There aren't words, how strange they are. Yeah, so she packs up and leaves, and then he realizes made a terrible mistake by not taping his favorite a documentary and upset.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the thing, isn't it. We were saying before, But like just somebody having somebody not having the sensitivity that you expect humans to have is just funny. You know. You just assume, oh, of course he's talking about this, this his partner leaving him. But no, it's about videoing this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously that's more important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very funny. But yeah, they they sort of decide on pretty much a whim that they're going to make a baby.
Speaker 2: This is worrying. So anyone can have a child. It's it's concerning that you don't have to have a license for it or be vetted well or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's not get started on that, because you know the things that couples who adopt have to go through. Yeah, and then you know, people who are able to have children can just pop them out by any thing. Yeah. Anyway, that's an entirely different conversations, an entire different conversation. I like how they're like, you know, I'd like to have a barber bery, I'd like to have a baby, and shall we make one? If it's just like, oh, shall we just make up a tea?
Speaker 2: I like cake, You like cake, Let's make a cake. Yeah, slightly more responsibility. I like to think that obviously they have to go to hospital and have this baby, and like all the ravocations, like the social workers around their house every other day. The social workers are terrified of this couple I mentioned looking after this child. Yes, find any excuse to take this child off before they kill it? Yeah, through utter negligence.
Speaker 1: And so we get another big reveal m which ties into Psychoville. Yep. And I just love that moment because again it's that classic thing. So they're having to live with his mother, like, oh, one condition, you've got to get rid of your mother, as if she's just there getting in the way, but actually knows she's been fucking her body's been rotting in the bar.
Speaker 2: For years presumably at this point. And it's the way that Evily just doesn't seem to care, well, not doesn't care, but like it's just been it's normal. Yeah, oh well, I guess I'll deal with it. Yeah, like he doesn't take the bins out. It's a fat Oh yeah, yes, I've had enough. You've got to get rid of mum.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, that body is is something, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I forgot that you get the close ups of in the topperware as well.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, I tried to kind of put that out of my head, but yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it's the it's the head and the sort of recognizable hair that amuses me.
Speaker 2: I think when she's in the bar in the same costume.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The designer on the podcast was saying that they had many conversations about how much hair she would still have and this and that. Yeah, like I don't think realism is really that important in an episode like this, Yeah, probably not. Yeah. And also apparently in Psycho her when she'd been left in the bath, she was the other way around. Her head was the other end. Oh, but they needed.
Speaker 2: Her, oh, because he was sat on the toilet talking to her, I think.
Speaker 1: But obviously they needed her that end for the opening the door, for that reveal. Yeah, so they decided that at some point in the intervening years, he must have got her out and turned around and put her back in. I don't know what he did with her in the meantime, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe I had to take her out to pull the plug out because she was full of water from all the melted ice or something.
Speaker 1: True. Yeah, but yeah, it's quite a prop, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They have a picture somewhere I saw of them, just like in between shots of them just sat around filming with her, just in like a director's type chair.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's that's grim. And again another moment for Jenna Coleman of just like sorry, what David is, Just like, oh sorry.
Speaker 2: I've just noticed in the picture of her in the bath there's a bottle of mate next to her. Still, you know, she loves MATI.
Speaker 1: Of course there is. That's a nice easter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, he just thought it just not across his mind to tell her at any of this point.
Speaker 1: And apparently he'd been keeping her because he thought that he'd be able to bring her back.
Speaker 2: To life yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so they take her to the dump in separate pieces.
Speaker 2: The recycling center in wood Green.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, well that's what we That is a dump, isn't it. That's what we is? That what you call it? Well, we have a recycling center down the road that is just known as the dump, the tip.
Speaker 2: It's the tip, Yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I have questions because I'm thinking back to how Beattie and Sam know that this house is this flat is cheap because there was a dismembered body found in the bath. Yeah, so when was this found by whom?
Speaker 2: Has he heard of other people?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, doesn't quite make sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, they've taken her and split the beca garden waist, general rubbish and metal which bits that they have to split between garden waist and general rubbish?
Speaker 1: I don't like. Yeah, what's garden waste? I suppose she's organic? Yeah, general robbish could be her clothes.
Speaker 2: I guess a metal for a hip. Yeah, I've taking it seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like to hope that they at least dumped the top of wear or gave it a good wash.
Speaker 1: I hope they got rid of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope so, but who knows.
Speaker 1: Although knowing them, they probably just had sandwiches in it the next day. Yeah, So we get the arrival of baby John. Baby John, Baby John.
Speaker 2: Is there reading a bedtime stories for the Ripper book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's so unbrand.
Speaker 2: It is fun story though. Did you ever watch Whitechapel back in the day, So there was a ITV series called Whitechapel with I want to is it Rupert Penry something Jones?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is that the name Jones?
Speaker 2: So he was playing a detective in Whitechapel. And there's like a Jack the Ripper copycat person like recreating the entire thing as closely as you can, the same locations, blah blah blah. And so they call in a ripperologist who's likes someone a more normal version of David who is played by Steve And in that series, Steve's written Steve's characters written a book, which is that book Oh that is fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, that's very fun. That's nice.
Speaker 2: It's nice that all this is sort of a three series crossover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it even crosses over to V Yeah. That really is beyond the veil.
Speaker 2: If any permission for it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a good series. I recommend. Yeah. I think my parents watched it.
Speaker 2: A few of them obviously. The first one was about chat the Repper, and then I think they went off a bit. I think that the second one might have been the craze, but I can't remember.
Speaker 1: So they have the brilliant idea of giving a newborn baby a birthday party.
Speaker 2: I suppose it's his first birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his zero birthday. And who did they get, of course mister Jolly. No.
Speaker 2: The fact that you recognize it immediately, just the hook is all you need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well you would if you'd seen Psychoville. Yeah. Yeah. When I've watched this for the first time, I was like, what the fuck am I watching?
Speaker 2: Now? Is what we wanted to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I will say this is one bit that again, I can forgive it now that I've seen Psychoville and I understand what's going on, But first time I watched it, I wasn't too keen on this because the fact that it was Reese playing an entirely separate character, so he's playing two characters in the same episode. That took me out of it slightly. The first time.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, for what was the character does he play?
Speaker 1: Maureen is so a person? She is? She's not. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Genuinely looking for a character that Reese was playing.
Speaker 1: Yea, but yeah, so I thought that was I found that tricky the first time, that when I didn't know Psychoville, and I was like, Okay, they've never done this in Soudem I'm for and whereas obviously in League of Gentlemen and even in Psychoville they do multiple characters all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you just go with it, sometimes even interacting with each other.
Speaker 1: So exactly. Yeah, and that's Psychoville, like it's it's sort of it's more of a drama, but it's also got as they I think they put it themselves. It's got one foot in sketchiness. Still. Yeah, it's remotely real, yes, but yeah, I mean, mister Jelly was great to see again, great character. Yeah, and Ben actually laughed at him. Yes, it was the line about you know he can do balloon animals. He's like, what's his favorite animal? Monkey? Oh? Fuck that, I can do sausage, dog, snake, or giraffe. I mean that's a great joke, isn't it. They're just they're long, thin balloons, and it's like, I could do a snake, sausage, anything that doesn't require any manipulation at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's his favorite animal as well? To in like he's like a day old favorite anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also love where he says, oh, what's its name? And they say John is like John imagine shift.
Speaker 2: This performer that utterly hates his audience.
Speaker 1: Yea every time. Yeah, wonderful character. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's going working nights, David's having to look after the baby, and we get more in pop back up again, another great line of but we recycled you to rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I suppose that's all any of it is when you bury or whatever or cremate recycling, isn't it. So it turns out that he hadn't actually fully recycled her. He's kept one important piece of the puzzle, a big toe. He's kept his mother's head and bricked it up in well, and she says to him. You did an Edmund Kemper, which I was a bit curious about, so I googled Edmundkemper and went down a bit of a rabbit hole. And I won't give too many details because it's quite upsetting, and I think that's a different podcast.
Speaker 2: Is enough of those podcasts?
Speaker 1: Yes, but it does seem he had he had a thing about heads, and he hated his mother, and one of his victims apparently he buried their head in the garden facing up at his mother's window because apparently she always liked people to look up to her.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then he later killed and decapitated his motherly. Yeah, but the thing that all those horrible things that he's done to people like obviously awful. But the thing that really upset me was that apparently when he was a child he killed the family cat.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: And I was like, it's's just whenever you hear about an animal, it's like sunt outs. Some how seems worse, doesn't it, because they seem so much more innocent, Not that you know you should kill anyone, but yeah, there's a cat that made me feel bad. I don't know what that says about me. I mean, they are supposed to have nine lives cats aren't they even? So I don't think that helps in this one. No, sorry, tittles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the one, the one circle that I mentioned that I didn't Actually I don't think i'd heard of before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know, yeah, yeah, I mean it was interesting reading up about. But yeah, people are there are some awful people in this world.
Speaker 2: There are, But I can I can.
Speaker 1: Say, you can understand being I can.
Speaker 2: Understand David being obsessed with them. Oh, I find them fascinating to read about, as awful as it all is.
Speaker 1: I can understand to capitate people and.
Speaker 2: Well, when you've worked in customer service.
Speaker 1: But bless him, he says he wanted her close by so she could keep an eye on me. Mm. So he's bricked her up in the wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do, like, I don't know if you are you find of sure?
Speaker 1: Shank not seeing it? I need to, I need to. Oh I don't. I shouldn't say then, Oh, sorry, a spoiler. It's a spoiler for anyone else listening as well, if they haven't seen it, well, it.
Speaker 2: Is, but it's also such a well known spoiler it was considered a spoiler anymore.
Speaker 1: But I won't say anymore. You sure if you know? You know? Okay, does it? Does it actually ruin it? No?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah it does. Okay, I won't say anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry once again, my.
Speaker 2: Lack of it is a fantastic film. Please watch it, Steven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I honestly, there's so many films I need.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite films. Yeah, it's a masterpiece. I think it often gets ranked in like IMDb and stuff has been the best film ever made. Yeah, it is an awesome film.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So she then throws out her biggest sort of lore for him to join her beyond the veil that she's now best friends with. Jack knows who he is. He's lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that how she just calls him Jack like first name terms, and he's like the Ripper and she's like, oh, it's a lat's be called that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's certain protocols. Yeah, it's like she's had to sign out of like sign out of Hell or something to come visit him. Oh, well there's a logging out book.
Speaker 1: She needs to be back by six. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he can't kill himself because he's got the baby. Yeah, like I would if I could. But you know responsibilities and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I generally think if the baby wasn't there, he would have probably just done it. He's so he so looks to his mother foot to tell him what to do for everything.
Speaker 2: Especially if Emily wasn't in the picture as well. Yeah, if you're still living in that flat on his own, I think he'd made it to this point.
Speaker 1: No, but yeah, she is an evil bitch really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's some great lines here though. If he doesn't want to kill the baby, you'll do words you're told kill the baby. Yeah, we're gonna get it boiled. But very luckily Emily pops in, Yeah, and find him dangling poor baby John over the I mean, how many carrots he was planning on cooking.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure?
Speaker 2: This is enormous.
Speaker 1: Yes, I didn't mention as well when she when Maureen appears in that scene, and she's just like, you're gonna want assault than that, damn it, like even beyond death. She's commenting on his cooking.
Speaker 2: All right, missus New York cheese cake and yeah, crackers.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so thankfully she catches him. Yeah, pretty baby boiling, I mean, yeah, it's horrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he never sees poor little little Baby John again, and in.
Speaker 1: The voiceover he's talking to thingy. He says that he get he gets taken away, but it's not made clear whether that's what that is, whether that's prison or like a sort of mental institution or hm.
Speaker 2: I would probably guess the latter.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and you know, why is it after all this time that he is free to come and come to the flat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of this that now I'm analyzing, it doesn't add up. Yeah, but in psychovil it wouldn't need to.
Speaker 1: So well, yeah, we'll just forget it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've said enough stuff that you can sort of square the circle in your head if you don't pause on it for more than ten seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah. Then Mauran appears in the present with David and Beattie. We find out she's in the wall, she's what's been causing this.
Speaker 2: Crack, it's time to do a bad murder, and that she's not talking to David and suddenly Beattie's like, yeah, okay, and stabbed him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Well, when they mentioned earlier that she was susceptible, apparently she's extremely susceptible. Yeah, she's literally only just met this ghost woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, within twenty four hours she's murdering someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Weird though, isn't it, Because obviously David had the incentive of you know, or you can find out Jack the Ripper and all that, whereas Vice's got nothing. She's just it's just just randomly just killed this man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and unfortunately this is when Sam turns back up again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great timing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and cut to black. How long are you meant to thinks pasted?
Speaker 1: At this point, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's not leaves on the trees anymore, so it's quite a while. Oh okay, and you think that I guess she's gotten help. They've covered it up together. But no, she has also murdered Sam. Yeah, and left him in the bathtub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's done a coffeecat. Yeah, in a way.
Speaker 2: She did another bad murder. But she'll leave the radio on for him so he's not lonely, which is.
Speaker 1: Of course that's just so we can have a song. Yeah, to finish.
Speaker 2: Off full circle back to Superman. Yeah, even if it does end worryingly.
Speaker 1: What happens at the end of Forgotten, Well, one of the lines is kiss oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: See them going very lovingly too lovingly. Well, and then it cuts away.
Speaker 1: What happens in the afterlife stays in the afterlife?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, oh yeah, and they both goes at this point, yeah, I've I've got the glowy green thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, thoughts, how much had this happened? Are we meant to.
Speaker 2: Take it all as actually happening? Because if it weren't for the bit at the end with bat killing them, I would have taken it as this is all in David's head and he's imagined all of this because he can't cope to be without his mother. I don't know, what do you think I had?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so you one of your catchphrases. I hadn't considered that.
Speaker 2: Say that that waight you do?
Speaker 1: Actually? But yeah, no, I I had just I just assumed it was all yeah, as it is. But no, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: All of the flashback stuff could have just been in David's head.
Speaker 1: He could absolutely, yeah, And like he's.
Speaker 2: Wanting to get back with it, No, I guess he is. But he's wanting to get back to his mother. So she comes to him, and he's thinking of ways to like, if he kills himself, maybe you will get to see her again, And it could just be beat is just a bit unhinged and she's heard all this crazy stuff and just kills him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could well be. Yeah, that's a good point actually, because he's he's now filled her head with with all this stuff of Maureen. Maybe she's now hallucinating Maureen.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Marean and her never interact, so as far as we know, she doesn't see Maureen. Well no, but but apparent just David talking to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see what he means, so she doesn't necessarily even she just stabs him just for her own shits and kiggles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then gets caught so obviously stabs the boyfriend as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe, or she could be she could hallucinate Maureen to tell her potently Yeah yeah, but then who's David talking to when he turns. I don't think we need to think over it that much. No, probably not, But yeah, there we go. I love this one so much. It's a very fun one, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's so stupid. I just find myself earlier watching it again. This is so silly, but I love it so much. But how seriously it tries to take itself at the start. Yes, and like when you're watching it not knowing it's actually quite creepy.
Speaker 1: Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Sorry, no I didn't either. I was too engrossed.
Speaker 2: It is on the white squares divider thing between the bedroom and the kitchen in the modern day. Oh okay, you can most easily see it at the end when they're doing their Superman dance. Okay, it's just there behind them and one of the boxes.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, you know, I said, I watched the psych of An episode earlier today. There's a little ornament in that that she picks up at one point that is a It's a dog, not a hair, but it looks very similar to the hair. And I was like, oh that's funny. Yeah, so rating, M let you go first. I have actually bumped it up a notch from what I had earlier. Right earlier, I was ready to give it a seven. M. I think I'm going to give it an eight. Yep, yeah, good choice.
Speaker 2: I think i'll probably. I think I'm going to give it an eight as well. Okay, I feel like a nine is too strong. Okay, I really want to, but I think, yeah, I'm going to give it an eight as well. Okay, I think I think I'm going to dock it one point for the sheer number of nonsense things that you have to accept exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true.
Speaker 2: It's like when it's like when someone falls over in an ice skating thing and they don't knock them loads of points because the fellow over you get a cursory one point knocked off. We'll carry on as if it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Yeah, so yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to do that, even though I ultimately don't care that there is.
Speaker 1: No exactly crazy things. But yeah, eight out of nine not to be sniffed at.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. I'm conscious of giving out too many nines as well. Yeah, I don't want to cheapen them.
Speaker 1: No, it's like your Paul Hollywood handshake. Yeah, you don't give the nine out of that easily. We have a shout out to do, don't we. The lovely Livy, who I'm sure many of you will be aware of from TikTok and the like. She is a big fan of recent Steve and she's given us a couple of shouts outs on the socials. It was so sweet, very very sweet. Thank you for that, And yeah, I would highly recommend checking her out as well on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Lots of Task Master, Vampire Talk, Yeah, and yeah general TV stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic And she knows what she's talking about, yes, having worked in TV as well. But yeah, the other thing this is sort of tied in as well. At the time of recording, last night was the final performance of Stage Fright, and Livy was lucky enough to be in attendance.
Speaker 2: I'm so jealous.
Speaker 1: The Hamma Smith Apollo. So this is so funny, isn't it. You said to me the other day that you had a prediction for the final guests they were going to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if it was a prediction or a This would be the most perfect person they could have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as in, how realistic was it.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was ever going to happen, but if it did, that would be the of every person on the planet. This will be the best person to have, yeah, which was obviously Bernie Clifton.
Speaker 1: The Bernie Clifton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Bernie Clifton. Now, all I knew about him at this point is that he's eighty nine, and for all we know, he could be very frail and barely leaves his house. Yeah, so I didn't have a clue. Turns out you were right.
Speaker 1: I was right, You're right.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that would have been so special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just for all three of them as well.
Speaker 2: Like you get to eighty nine, you are used to being this big comedian back in the day, have an audience and blah blah blah, and then you, you know, you retire and you don't ever get that again, and then you suddenly get the Hammersmith Apollo all loving you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that must have been incredible, amazing. Yeah, yeah, I'm very jealous me too, if anyone who got to witness that. However, we do have a voice note from Livy which we have permission to play out. So here is her explanation of Bernie Clifton.
Speaker 3: So so much happened in that Bernie Clifton bit. So they basically just kind of let him run it, which totally understandable, but it meant it ran twenty minutes over. But it was really really funny. He sang, impossible, dream Reese gave up being in character. Steve held it together until about like the very last moment. He also said, as a family entertainer, what the fuck. He then also called them a pair of twats, and yeah, I realized it was Bernie when they started doing the charades. It was when they said bear and I was like, oh, could it be him? And then I second guessed myself. And then it got to the Clifton part and they said Lyft and I literally yelled out, Oh, my fucking god, they've done it. And it was just really cute, and he got like a massive round of applause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was really nice. It was like perfect, Oh, yeah, that sounds.
Speaker 1: Awesome, amazing, It must have been such an experience. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just sent you the clip earlier as well of them from the wings, like that Leon masking. I'm so glad we got to see at least that.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you were saying, how you know each night when they do it, Reese doesn't know who's coming.
Speaker 2: Well, as far as I'm aware. Yeah, that's at least what they've said is the case. Whether it's Jo or not, who knows, But from his reaction and the fact that he seemed to drop all of the accent and everything, I think he was genuinely else.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, it's literally the perfect way to wrap it up, isn't it.
Speaker 2: And presumably evil have known this for days, weeks, possibly months, who.
Speaker 1: Knows, who knows? Yeah, because I.
Speaker 2: Did see them doing an interview on BBC Breakfast, I think where someone asked, like, what would your dream person for the last night be? And they said a load of names, but they never mentioned him, So I wonder if you even knew back then.
Speaker 1: Who it was going to be. Yeah, well, very happy that that happened. Yeah, that's lovely, amazing, And also given that it was the final performance, apparently there were a few other notable things that happened, So I do have I do have a second voice note.
Speaker 3: Because it was the final show, there was just like more applause and like really nice vibes in general. The Chekhov's pun line got a really big cheer and Steve went finally and yeah, he was really happy with that. In the second act, when bav Joshi's characters being all method actor and stuff like that, Steve just turns around and says, fuck you, asshole, and I don't think that's ever happened before, and Reese had to turn his back to the audience because he almost corpsed at that point. And then right at the end when they're doing the Afterlife Cloud nine bit when Reese and Steve raised their coffee cups to each other, they actually just went up to each other and just hugged, and it was so cute, and the entire audience went h and started applauding, and the bowels went on for a bit longer. There was also a standing ovation and rightfully.
Speaker 1: So oh amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm so jealous. Yes, it was my birthday as well. I wish had gun for it.
Speaker 1: You know, it would have been perfect, wouldn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I've already spent a lot of money in this and seen it twice. I don't think I can quite justify trying.
Speaker 1: To get tickets.
Speaker 2: But it would have been so nice as well, because obviously it's going to be mainly fun at these things, but for the final light, it's going to be exclusively die hard fans.
Speaker 1: That really love this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that would have been nice, a nice sort of atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, what a nice ending for them as well. Yeah, to go out on a real bang. Thank you so much, Livy for sharing your experience. We were there with you in spirit. Apparently. Death Being Not Proud was the first episode of Insidem nine that she ever saw as well. So yeah, she did say that. Yeah, it's a good reason for bringing her up on today's episode.
Speaker 2: What an episode to start with?
Speaker 1: Well quiet? Yeah? Yeah, so this has been huge fun. We will be back next week for an entirely different episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look forward to that one. I'm sorry no spoilers. No, you guess which one it is. And in case I forgot do it earlier? Did you spot our hair? We'll point it out next week if you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But for now, I think it's time to close the door on number nine. But you never leave, do you, especially if your head spricks up in the wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll happen.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts.