Speaker 1: Good morning and happy Tuesday to ye. Thanks for joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas it is Kentucky and this morning news Coffee and Company NIT Coffee with you. The company manage on all on alongside, and unfortunately, the two big stories nationally are mass shootings that took place here yesterday in America, started in Nevada, in Reno, and then of course the one that is really the lead story right now as I look right in front of me here, we've got it on WKY and our monitor and they're still covering, of course, the mass shooting in Manhattan where a gunman killed four, including a police officer, and of course killed himself. Here's what we know about this situation, and again we'll give you the details on what we know as far as what happened in Reno, Nevada as well. But when it comes to this massacre, we know that the victim, I'm sorry, the suspect, I should say, has been identified as Shane at Timura. He's a former high school football player from southern California, and he arrived in New York City over the weekend and entered three forty five Park Avenue around six thirty last night with an AR fifteen, opened fire in the lobby and described as spraying bullets by l MPD's commissioner, and he wrote an elevator to the thirty third floor and ultimately shot himself in the chest. So when it comes to the victims here, we know again one of them is in fact a police officer, which again is just I mean, just absolutely tragic. A guy who was a police officer who was off duty but working I guess off the clock in some of some kind of a security role.
Speaker 2: So just a tragic situation.
Speaker 1: And in this individual, he left a note or I guess there was a note found in his pocket that described him. And let me make sure I've got it correct here. Yeah, he claimed the note says football gave me CTE. You can't go against the NFL, They'll squash you. So that was that was in his pocket when they found him dead, because he killed himself and he claims to have CTE. And the note cited Terry Long, who's a former Steeler who died by suicide after suffering from CTE years back. So again just unfortunately this is not so surprising that that these things are happening, and we'll I mean, we'll keep you updated as best we can. But as far as from here, I guess the important information that people want to know is is those that were shot that haven't been killed, what is the status as far as their their their condition? This? Uh, this, And by the way, when it comes to the football connection here, the NFL happens to be headquartered in this building. So he showed up and I mean it certainly seems as if he was wanting to show up and and and take out the NFL headquarters or something. I mean, again, that's not a coincidence as far as why he ended up being there and the fact that they found that note that mentioned him having CTE and him claiming that you can't go against the NFL. So there was an NFL employee that was critically injured and a Blackstone executive was shot and killed. As Blackstone as another company that has office space, I guess maybe some of their corporate offices are in this building at three forty five Park Avenue. So twenty seven years old drove from Las Vegas across the country to New York City, arrived over the weekend, and I would imagine this was his plan and he followed through with it, So just a really scary situation overall. But again, before that took place yesterday evening in New York City, across the country in Reno, there was another mass shooting where somebody opened fire at the Grand Sierra Casino, which I believe is one of the bigger casinos in Reno, and three people dead, three others injured. And we don't know the identity of this suspect just yet, at least I haven't seen. Maybe that's been maybe that maybe we have been given that info in the last couple of hours, but as of this morning, they still hadn't identified who this was. But it is an adult male and he was shot by police during the arrest and transported to a hospital. So no motive and no identity when it comes to that. And the Grand Sierra Resort is a major hotel, casino and entertainment venue in Reno that that, of course, you know, probably has a lot of people there that are tourists and of course probably some locals as well. But this took place yesterday in the valley area at that resort at about seven to twenty five am. So again who knows what the motive is here, and I'm still getting used to that being clearly a talking point, and it is. It's it's for I mean, it's for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: It's news.
Speaker 1: But there was there was a while there where I was discussing motives for certain things, as if like that was going to end up being a justification for some of these awful things that people do.
Speaker 2: But as to what led to this, who knows.
Speaker 1: We're talking gambling, we're talking to casino and I mean, but I'm sure we'll get to We'll get more information as this develops. But yeah, two mass shootings taking place yesterday here in America. That is your lead story really across the country. And it's unfortunate. It's tragic to be frank, But I'd be a liar if I said I had any real shock and surprise when these things are in the news, which is unfortunate. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather. We've got a hot one in store for today. Matt Melosovich. W okay, why we'll give us the details. We'll get a check on the roadways with Bobby Ellis, and we'll keep this thing rolling along right here on Kentucky. And it's Morning News Coffee and Company, News Radio eight forty whas. It is Kentucky and it's morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas Coffee and Company.
Speaker 2: That's us.
Speaker 1: I'm Nick Coffee. He is John Alden, and we've got another sport to be coming your way in about eight minutes or so with the one on Only Scott Fitzgerald, John Shannon.
Speaker 2: He love it in the news update for you at seven thirty.
Speaker 1: And if you are somebody that is traveling across the Kennedy Bridge each and every day, I'm sure that there's been good days and there's been many bad days where you sit in traffic because of a wreck or just rush hour, or maybe because there is construction going on. And currently there's some real construction going on, as it looks as if the rest of twenty twenty five you're going to have three lanes closed. So yesterday they were putting up some barriers that I guess led to some added issues with the traffic. But now, yeah, the fourth lane was closed temporarily where they put up those barrier walls, But now moving forward, I guess those barrier walls are there to indicate that that whole side is going to be closed out for quite some time as they work on those those other three lanes to get those expansion joints put in.
Speaker 2: So just be prepared. I'm sure you're.
Speaker 1: If you're if that's part of your daily commute, I'm sure that you were. You were already well aware of.
Speaker 2: That, all right.
Speaker 1: So this was something I found to be interesting when it comes to just those who consume college sports content on television. And I think we know when it comes to which sport is is is more dominant than others when it comes to just the viewership. But there is a let me make sure I've got it pulled up here. So Nielsen they put they they they provided some some data and information that I think is just interesting and it tells you the percentage of those who responded to their I guess most recent poll as far as what they're watching, how they're what they're watching within college sports, meaning if you're watching, like for those of you that that got one of these, and I'm not sure if it's any of you listening, but twenty seven point seven percent of people who watch TV regularly said that they that that includes college football. Twenty one point one percent of those that responded, said, they watch college basketball. So that surprises me a little bit because I just would have expected college football to be a bigger number. But I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that college basketball is not that far behind the NFL, is king, But we're talking just college sports here. So what I have here is a nice breakdown that tells you, when it comes to those that are watching college football and college basketball, which conference they're watching. So this is going to surprise some folks and it may spark some outrage from the SEC. But five point five percent say that when they watch college football they want to watch they seek out Big Ten football. Four point eight percent say SEC. Now, what that tells you is something that I think it's pretty easy to determine that the Big Ten the reason why they have I mean, I think currently they have a more lucrative mediae ights deal then the SEC does. Now that'll change. They'll go back and forth. When one gets a new one, then the other one will be up not long after that. But the Big Ten has such humongous fan bases and such big alumni bases, and with nearly all their schools, it seems to where there's just a lot of them. Therefore you can get those big, big TV deals. And obviously you have a lot of people who watch and tune in to watch. On the college basketball side, three percent watch the Big Ten, two point seven percent ACC two point three percent SEC.
Speaker 2: So not a big shock there.
Speaker 1: But man, the Big twelve talk about just not having a huge alumni base and just not having not being in areas that have a ton of people. They are dead last by a long shot in both football and basketball. So I just thought that was interesting. And again the Big Ten they've got me. Just think about the states that the look at that, the Indiana fan base, the Illinois fan base, the Michigan fan base, Ohio state, a lot of people. All Right, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way. Also we'll get a other sports update with Scott right here on news radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon, it is Kentucky and this morning news coffee and company with you here on news radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee, that's me the company man, John Alden. He's back from vacation and we're so happy to have him back.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: Are you have you ever seen the vehicles that drive around really everywhere with a camera attached to the top of them.
Speaker 2: The Google. Yeah, the Google Yes, Yeah, I've seen a few times.
Speaker 1: So I've seen him as well. Really really fascinating. And I have Google Maps on my phone, but I don't I don't typically use it, but I occasionally just get lost in Google Maps because those vehicles do exactly what you think they do. They just walk around and get views of every street they can. And if you go to Google Maps, and you like, if you just put in an address in Google and the first thing that you see is just a street view of whatever address you put in, and you can click on it, and then you can actually go back if you go to the bottom I'm only talking about from your phone, but if you go to the bottom right, it'll say show older dates, and then you can look at many years back a shot of this address in twenty fourteen and twenty sixteen. And I've done that a couple of times with places that I haven't been to in a long time. And then it became kind of a tree. It became I wouldn't say it was viral, but it became a trendy thing for people to to like go back and look at what some like areas that no longer really exist, right like because a neighbor. You know, there's a lot of houses in certain cities that just you know, they become abandoned and they end up getting taken down because they're condemned, and it's just it's almost like a weird way to go back in time a little bit. So anyways, I've also noticed whenever you are because you could actually move within the app. So like if I put in our address here four Street Live and I clicked on street View, I just I can you an arrow and click it five times and it'll put me one block up and then I'm looking at you know, sixth Street maybe or fifth Street. And sometimes I do that just to kind of see what it shows. And you can see people that are out and about whenever they're out filming, and more often than not, i'd say about nine out of ten times, if you see somebody, they're they're blurred out, like you can't see them. There's like a censor kind of thing. But then there's sometimes where you can't get a good look at him because it's far away and it's not a great shot. But they're not censored. Well, somebody has managed to turn turn them being uncensored on the Google on the Google Map to where they've made They've made some money. So I don't know if you guys have seen this story. This is fascinating to me, but there's a guy in Argentina. He is from a small town in Argentina.
Speaker 2: He ended up.
Speaker 1: Suing Google because the Google street View captures him naked. And I mean, somehow I guess that slipped through the cracks for Google, because I'm sure they're supposed to censor everybody, but especially if somebody is naked. But yes, Google ended up having to pay this man damages because you could see him in his yard naked. So it happened in twenty seventeen when a Google street View car captured a naked man in his backyard in this small town. The man, who was a police officer, was behind the six and a half foot wall when the image showing his bare backside was snapped. His home's address was clearly visible and later shown on TV in Argentina and spread across spread spread a cross social media, and he argued this exposed him to workplace, ridicule and embarrassment in his neighborhood. A lower court had previously dismissed the case, saying he should have known better than to be outside naked, which it's not a bad point, but Google also argued the wall wasn't high enough to block the camera's view. However, an appeals corps disagreed, calling it a blatant asian of privacy, and he was ordered or that Google was ordered.
Speaker 2: To pay him.
Speaker 1: Any clue what compensation this man received in USD.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, yes, I'm gonna see like fifty.
Speaker 1: I would have guessed more than that because we're talking about Google, but he got twelve thousand and five hundred dollars USD. And I just I feel like, if you're gonna sue Google, of all people, you got to go for more than that. Right, So again, keep in mind, you probably should never be outside nude, but if you are and you end up, you know, near one of those vehicles, well I guess now they gotta be careful, But I don't know, think about the entire world that they cover, like they're gonna they're gonna slip through the cracks. You could probably scheme your way into maybe profiting from this, right, Like just plan it out and hope that you go unnoticed and then sue him.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: I Like, if you the thing of a place that you like, if you are some buddy that grew up in another state and you haven't been to the street you grew up on in however many years, put it in and go to the street view of Google, and I bet it'll be a nostalgic experience for you, because if you haven't seen it in forever, like it'll. I mean, it may be sad because it may not look like it used to. In fact, I'm sure it probably doesn't look like it used to if we're talking about, you know, forty fifty years ago. But I've done that at times, just remembered random places that I hadn't been to in a long time that I have a memory of, and you can go back and you can see what it looks like today, you can see what it looked like ten years ago, and just interesting. Technology is a powerful thing. All right, let's get an update on travag and weather. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up on the roadways out here as we get Tuesday started. It's Kentucky in it's Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas. I don't know if this is accurate. Maybe it's just because I'm paying a little more attention to it, but it does seem like we've got a lot more construction and road work going on than we typically do. But just keep in mind there's going to be some closures continuing tonight if you are out and about in the east End. So if you drive through sixty four and the Brownsboro Road Bridge or the brown Brew Road interchange, Uh, there's gonna be some closures here. Let's see, looks like starting last night through early Friday morning, there's gonna be some bridge demolition work on that Brownsboro the Eastern bridge, and also some ramp closures from eastbound I two sixty four waters An Expressway to northbound I seventy one. It's gonna be completely closed multiple nights this week. So in the evening usually not as many people out in about, but I'm sure there are some of you that will be out and maybe you'll be in that area. So just keep in mind there's gonna be some delays and some closures, so just be prepared. Looks like eight pm to six am is when the majority of the work is gonna be done, and it's gonna be It was last night and h and tonight and then yeah, so it looks like I two sixty four West traffic's going to be detoured at Exit twenty two. That's that's last night and tonight and then tomorrow Wednesday, And third you got I two sixty four East traffics is going to be detwitttered Xit twenty two and rejoining on the other side. So this is part of a big project. We're talking one hundred and thirty million dollar project that is to.
Speaker 2: Improve the roadways over there.
Speaker 1: So just be prepared also if you are looking to if you're looking to, I guess, get some feedback and share your thoughts on what's going on with JCPS. They've got their parents and parents and teachers were tonight is at Fairdale. I'm not sure where it was last night, but they're having another forum where you can they're calling it the Community Conversation Series where you can you can bring up some concerns, ask some questions and just get information as schools about to start here in nine days. So last night they had their first one again There'll be another one tonight at Fardell High School at five point thirty to seven o'clock. Is when when when that one? When that will take place tonight? But the concerns raised last night, a student assigned staffing, shortag just legislative relationships and educational equity, those were things that were brought up last night. So again I'm pulling for the new superintendent, doctor Yearwood. I mean, he knew what he signed up for when he pursued this opportunity, and of course he got the job.
Speaker 2: But I just there's a part.
Speaker 1: Of me that just feels like, no matter how good this guy could end up being in that position, he's just got a lot of working against him because of what that entire situation is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As much as I say that, you know there are people here that still I mean, like there's so much I feel like, just negative noise about JCPS, and I do understand why that happens, but like that doesn't represent the entirety of the Jefferson County Public School System and all of the people that do work there and do their best to make it a good school system. And as I talked about earlier, we've never needed teachers seemingly more than we do right now. And clearly there are people who do it because they love it, but that's not now, I think what it used to be. And there's shortages everywhere, and there are people who leave the industry to do something else. And I don't have the perfect solution on how to fix that. I'd be the last guy to tell you how to fix it, but I hope they figure something out because teachers are very, very important. I don't think anybody would disagree with that. All right, let's get another update on traffic and weather, and of course we'll also get another sports update coming your way here in about four minutes. We'll love it on another news update with John Shannon coming up around eight o'clock. As we roll along here, it is Kentucky and it's morning news, coffee and company right here on news radio Waight forty whas