Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky? In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 2: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 6: No, we' just necesary foid. We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of plus semsay details.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it is Ryan.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing. And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 8: No, just necessary Dad, where every I lost? EA terms editions eighty.
Speaker 1: Plus Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky?
Speaker 3: In line at the deli, I guess.
Speaker 2: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You do?
Speaker 2: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landslots dot com play for free right now.
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 6: Nope're just necessarily long eighteen plus terms and conditions plus se Wester details.
Speaker 7: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free, anytime, anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 8: It's never Imedie, Everybody Lost the Earth Difi, It's a eating class.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker, DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 9: Good evening. When you think of serial killers throughout history, the names that come to mind are ones like Jack the Ripper, John Wayne Gacy, and Ted Bundy. But what about Tillie Kilmick Kate Bender. The narrative we're comfortable with is the one where women are the victims of violent crime, not the perpetrators. In fact, serial killers are thought to be so universally overwhelmingly male that in nineteen ninety eight, FBI profiler Roy Hazelwood infamously declared in a homicide conference there are no female serial killers. Lady Killers. Based on the popular online series that appeared on Jezebel and the Hairpin disputes that claim and offers fourteen gruesome examples as evidence. Though largely forgotten by history, female serial killers such as Urzebet Bathory, Nanni Das, Marianne Cotton, and Darra Nikolovna Saltakova rival their male counterparts in cunning, cruelty, and appetite for destruction. Each chapter explores the crimes and history of a different subject and then proceeds to unpack back her legacy and her portrayal in the media, as well as the stereotypes and sexist cliches then inevitably surround her. The first book to examine female serial killers through a feminist lens with a witty and dryly humorous tone, Lady Killers dismisses easy explanations she was hormonal, she did it for love, a man made her do it, and tire tropes she was a female fit, a femme fetale, a black widow, a witch. Delving into the complex reality of female aggression and predation, Featuring fourteen illustrations from Dame Darcy, Lady Killers is a blood curdling, insightful, and irresistible journey into the heart of darkness. The book that we're featuring this evening is Lady Killers, Deadly Women Throughout History, with my special guests, journalist and author Tory Telfer. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for a Greenness interview. Tory Telfer, Hi, thank you so much for having me. Thank you so much. This really is quite eye opening. We more than alluded it to it in the introduction. I want to ask a little bit about, because we put it in the introduction, about Jezebel and the Hairpin, the online series, and how this was based on the popular online series, and where you dispute the claim that there are no female serial killers. So tell us a little bit about your background and how you came to this writing Lady Killers, and tell us a little bit about Jezebel and the Hairpin and this idea that you wanted to spell in this book Lady Killers.
Speaker 5: Sure well, I before I started writing about female serial killers, I was just kind of starting out as a freelance writer after working and publishing and doing some time in an MFA, and I really wanted a column. In my mind that was like the coolest thing ever. So when I saw that this website called The All was looking for historical columns. I racked my brain to think what would be fun to write about, and I thought of female serial killers because I've always liked creepy history. I've always liked weird history, and I've always liked sort of deranged individuals that history has overlooked. So I pitched the idea to the All and they shot it over to their sister site, The Hairpin, and that's where it started. And I was really pleased how much people liked it. I think, you know, as you probably know, women love true crime, and I just had all these amazing readers who who really enjoyed reading about these killer women. And then the reason it ended up on Jezebel is because my editor at The Hairpin moved to Jezebel, so she took their home fair, which is nice. And I only ever did four installments of those, and then I started working on the book. But all of those columns are in the book, but in a more updated format with new research and I think some smarter conclusions. So it was a fun process.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. So you came to write Lady Killers and tell us the criteria for inclusion in this what you were looking for? What was the sort of breath of variety's you were going to display in this book. Tell us some of the criteria for stories that were included in this book.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad you asked that, because I thought long and hard about it, and no one ever asked me that. So I had many criteria in my head. I only wanted to do quote unquote vintage serial Killers because I wanted to keep it more of a spooky book rather than it. Oh man, this world we live in is so depressing book. So I stopped. I stopped in the nineteen fifties. You know, the world was very different back then. The serial killer from the fifties just just feels different than Eileen Werno's or someone else. So I had that. I also tried to make it as diverse as possible in terms of time period, country of origin, method of killing class. You know, serial killers both male and female are very white. But I managed to find a little diversity there. And so I was kind of looking at when I had my women, when I had some of the women I would have to like. Whoever else I wanted to include had to sort of fit into the ones that were already in there. If that makes sense, sure, and I just I also just kind of looked for ones that just made me excited and intrigued me. And that's really you know, you just sort of know when you come across a serial killer that you want to learn more about. That's kind of a personal criteria that I can't really articulate. But just all the women in this book, there's just something about their stories that I was like, ooh, that's she sounds complicated or something. So I think that that was all.
Speaker 9: You also really go out of your way to find stories. Well not only that had a huge myth, and the mythology grew and the story, as they often do, grows and a lot of misinformation comes from that. So there's a lot of myths. And then the spelling of the myths in this book isn't there. So there's a lot of really what we thought was a story is not the story, and that's going to be frustrated in the first story we talk about with his Erzabit Bathory. But before we get to that, is there some other theme, like when you talk about nineteen ninety eight, you know, the famous profiler Roy Hazel would declaring that there are no female serial killers, and then you say, well, we can find fourteen. There's a little bit more discussed in this book than you just happen to find fourteen female serial killers. So respond to that statement, I have and compared to what Roy hazel would sayd in nineteen ninety eight and what you.
Speaker 5: Found, oh, I found way more than fourteen female serial killers. I think what Roy hazel Wood was saying, I mean, people use that quote all the time to show that he was wrong, So I do feel bad for him. I think what he was saying is, I think he was thinking of serial killing in a more narrow sense, like you know, the serial killer who kind of stalks, rapes, violently kills strangers. And there aren't I mean, aside from Eileen Werenas, there really aren't too many women who kill like that. But all the serial killing is is, you know, I would say, I think the XBI says too, killing three or more people with a cooling off period in between. So just because women are poisoning people and that's maybe not as quote unquote scary, that doesn't mean they're not a serial killer. I mean, you poison three people with a cooling off period in between, you're totally a serial killer. And so I think that's why people, you know, have thoughts that there haven't been any historically. Does that answer your question?
Speaker 9: Yes, certainly. Now let's talk about the first subject here, and this is the one where you talk about at eight black metal bands. There's been movies, there's been so many things, and there's such a mythology about Urzebete Bathory. You dispel some of the myths, but let's go back to what you knew about her, because you say she's been memorialized, sexualized, and vamporized since records of her trial were discovered in the seventeen twenties, and you say she's the grand Dame of serial killers. So talk about she was born in fifteen sixty, talk about her life, some of the things that shaped her, Talk about as you do about the peasants, and you talk about at some point where they have even less rights than they did when we open this story. So tell us a little bit about as you do, about her early life and the society that she was born into and was surrounded.
Speaker 5: By great sure so, Urzabet Bathory was born into a very very wealthy, very Hungarian family in fifteen sixty. She was a lucky girl in a way. She was highly educated, just given the best of everything, but she had issues as a young child, and you know, we can speculate, we don't really know exactly what they were. Some people think that her parents might have been cousins, so she might have had some sort of I don't know, noble illness that happens in that way. Some people there are rumors that she had epileptic fits. Of course, none of these are things to turn someone into a serial killer. But she also seemed to have a penchant for violence. It was a violent time back then, and she would have seen a lot of violence. She probably would have seen some public executions. There's a rumor that she saw a peasant who had been accused of stealing, that she saw him being sewn alive into the belly of a horse, which is almost worse for the horse, and she laughed and cackled. I mean, you have to be really careful with these things, because it's like it's sort of a hindsight. It's twenty twenty with serial killers type of thing, Like, how do we know she actually cackled diabolically when she saw this peasant being sewn into the belly of a horse. Do we just think that because we know about her later crimes. But there are a lot of there's a lot of rumors in folklore about her early life as kind of troubled and violent, but also very privileged and wealthy. So she got engaged when she was four, No, when she was ten. She got engaged when she was ten to a fifteen year old son of another incredibly wealthy family. So they were like this superstar match. And there's a rumor that while they were engaged or so, that took a lover this peasant boy and became pregnant by him, and the peasant boy got caught and got thrown to the wolves by her fiance. So it's all very violent stuff, and as you'll see, it's starting to get kind of sexual. So anyway, her fiance was named sarrienk Not not Dusty, I'm not. I'm not used to saying these names out last, just writing them. So he was a violent man himself. He was a sort of career warrior and he was constantly going off to battle. So the two of them didn't see each other very much during their during their whole marriage. It took them ten years to have their first child, which was really unusual for the time. You know, that wasn't that wasn't what a wife was supposed to do. And I hate to keep saying rumor says, but a lot of this is rumor. Rumor has it that her husband, Farreank, would learn torture and just sort of terrible cruel things when he was away at war and would come back and teach these things to his wife, who also who was developing a statistic streak, so he would he would teach her how to torture her servant girl. He would teach her these very creative punishments where he would cover a girl with honey and force her to stand outside naked and just get stung by bees and bugs. He also apparently gave her this romantic gift of a glove with claws attached that she could wear and just splash at her servants if the mood struck. So I think we kind of had these two sociopaths who happened to get married to each other and encouraged each other, and it was kind of their way of bonding because they didn't often see each other. And while all this is happening, they're getting incredibly wealthy because pharrenk is going off and he's fighting Let's see, I think he's fighting the Ottomans, and so he's like sending back these streams of treasure back to or said it. And it turns out that they get so wealthy that the King of Hungary actually has to borrow from them. So they're not only rich, but they're sort of in this very powerful political position where the king is in their debts. So you can sort of imagine how that could go to the head of someone who's already got some sociopathic, narcissistic tendencies.
Speaker 9: You talk about he is called because of his great valor and his ability to always be in war at war, he was called the Black Knight. You say that, no matter what, if some of this stuff is exaggerated, you don't get that name the Black Knight for nothing. And you talk about as well as that there was an unpayable like not only did they borrow money to the king over and over again, it was an unpayable debt when the Black Knight finally died in sixteen oh four. But you talk about that there was some people that moved into the house and Darvolia. They also had this you talk about and again this is some of the stuff that this is why this woman is so infamous. Talk about a torture chamber in this castle that he has given her his wife, and then she has this assistant Darvola. So and also what we haven't explained is how is it that the you know the time, is that the peasants are so dispensable. What is it? As you explain in the book, the status of the peasant enables this person not only to be able to do whatever they want, but literally do whatever they want, no matter what happens. So explain that as you do in the book.
Speaker 5: Yes, so that is I forgot about that. That's an important thing. So Hungarian peasants back then they just they just had no rights. Nobles had all the rights. So a noble could do whatever they wanted to their their servants. And it wasn't just that the law would look the other way. It was just totally fine because the peasants are the property of the nobles, and you can do whatever you want your property, said the law.
Speaker 6: So or so that had all these Lucky Land casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky.
Speaker 3: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess, ahid my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 2: Actually, do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: You do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing it lucky landslats dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 6: No necessary for eighteen plus sursis plus servant girls.
Speaker 5: She had several castles. You can imagine the huge staff that it would take to run all those places. And she had all these servant girls, and she had this one castle in particular that was given to her as a wedding gift. Now, the torture chambers I don't think started until her husband died and she was in her forties, but the violence was definitely simmering before then. And yeah, before her husband died, she had this this kind of I don't know what to call her, this creepy friend slash peasant woman move in named Anna Darvoglia, and the locals of the town really didn't like her. They described her as a wild beast in female form, and she was just a bad influence on Ursabet, and she moved into the castle and the servant, the servants started seeing or Sabbat's personality start to change, and then her husband died. Should I move on to that time in her life?
Speaker 9: Certainly? And you also talk about as well that there's a not only were the parents finding and knowing that their their peasant daughters, that something was going on at the castle, at the castle with Pathory, but also that a local pastor had enough guts to confront her. And you say that Nadaski, Nadaski had enough influence to comment at that time, but it was well known what was going on, it seemed at this castle.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, the rumors were flying, people were seeing frightening sights like girls with marks on their faces, girls with black and brewed black and blue body, just these terrified, abused girls coming in and out of Ursabeth's castle. So yes, a local pastor at one point actually had the goal and the bravery to pull her aside. And just remember how powerful she was and how little power a local pastor would have, and he just kind of said, like, listen, you got it. This isn't right. You know, you can't you have to stop doing this, like this isn't right in the eyes of God, and she got really angry and just hissed at him that you know, she was powerful, she was untouchable. He couldn't do anything. And yeah, her husband did manage while he was alive to kind of squelch those rumors and keep things under control, but that all ended when he died in sixteen oh four, when Ursabette was forty four years old, and that was one thing started getting really oh go ahead, no, go ahead, I was just gonna say. That's when things started getting terrible, terrible, awful, awful for her servant girls. And that's when you know the rumor in the confessions that the servants who helped her torture, in the confessions that they gave at the end of their life, they say that this is like a real changing point in her personality. And you know, maybe it was that her husband was gone and she suddenly had all this pressure completely on her shoulders to manage all these estates, to manage all these people. You know, maybe she was mentally cracking in some way. And then there's also speculation that she hated getting older and wanted to stay young forever. I mean, that is mostly just goth rumors, but you know, that's another thing to throw into the pot.
Speaker 9: What you would write about is that she had assembled the virtual torture squad with this Elana Joe, a woman named dorka wash woman named Cataline, and some young boy inmed Fitsko and der Voglia. So what torture did they specifically? Like you talk about the myth and what people think they know, and we talk about the blood bath and her request for youth, but what did you find out? Because again this is public, this was records that surfaced in the seventeen twenties. Like you say, these people testified, So tell us what these servants said about the kind of torture and the things that they did do in reality to these women.
Speaker 5: Sure, so, yeah, she had these trusted servants who would help her torture and these were not These women definitely enjoyed it too. These were not servants who she was necessarily forcing to do this. I mean, I'm sure she's forcing them to some extent, but they got sadistic pleasure from the torture. And what they confessed to years later was that Ursabet was very creative in her torture. So if someone was stewing and made a stewing mistake, she would start by maybe snatching their needle and shoving it into the girl's hand, and then she would say, if it hurts the whore, she can pluck it out, and then the girl would pluck it out, and Ursabette would come at her with shears or something and cut off her fingers. So she would play these nine games with her girls and do these quote unquote little things for them to hurt them compared to what happened later, But a lot of what went on in these torture chambers was truly tortured to the point of death. She would beat and beat and beat them all. Her torture squad would help. They'd beat the girls with irons, they would burn them. There was testimony that they would use pincers to rip out chunks of flesh. They would lash them. Just a lot of brutalizing the body to the point of where it wasn't recognizable, and a lot of bloodshed. And it was just like an obsession for Usa that she couldn't She would get very anxious after socializing and she would need to come home and torture or one of her servants, one of the torture squad servants said she couldn't eat or drink until she had seen one of her maids killed in a bloody way. So very story stuff.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you talk in the book that it gets so bad that everybody knows what's going on, and she's throwing the bodies to the wolves, and the peasant women in the town are hiding their daughters because when she comes in town looking for workers. So in her again somewhat madness, certainly, she has this genaesium plan where people don't care about the peasants and then there's the nobles, but she's still regardless of that, decides to create this genaesium. So tell us about this genasium and what her plan is. And this is the beginning of the downfall with this idea.
Speaker 5: Yes, so the genaesium is her the world's worst startup idea. Basically, as you said, she's running out of girls to kill, she's running out of peasants to kill. So she decides, hm, who's left, Well, I could get some of the daughters of my noble friends. But of course she's gonna have to come up with a sneaky plan to get those daughters. Noblemen aren't just gonna let their daughters go wherever. So she tells everyone that she's opening this finishing school. It was called a genasium, and you know, she lures these young noble women in and she's promising that she's gonna, I don't know, teach them good posture and how which forks you use and how to sit up straight or whatever. And she hasn't really fought out the plan past that she didn't the plan was clearly doomed because you know, the law might not protect peasants, but the law certainly protects nobles, and noble parents certainly have resources that peasant parents didn't. So she hasn't thought this plan through. She's just got this blood lust happening. So she ushers these young noble girls in, kills them all, and then she's sort of like, whoops. The parents are mad, they're wondering where their daughters went. I've gotta I've gotta throw them off the scent. So you can tell her she's really cracking because she comes up with this elaborate story where she says, okay, here's what happened one of the girls stole everyone's jewelry because she was really she was really jealous about it. And I'm sorry, that's not it's even worse. It wasn't that the girl stole the jewelry. It's that the girls one of the girls was jealous of everyone's jewelry, and so she murdered everyone else because she couldn't have their jewels. She was so jealous, and then she was so sad that she murdered everyone that she herself committed. So the parents hear this story and they're like, that definitely didn't happen. We have a mad woman on our hands. No, you can just imagine hearing some you know, trembling, pale faced Hungarian countess telling you that story and how terrified you would be. So that wasn't exactly what led to legal action being taken against her, but that didn't help. And and like you said, her down, Paul was starting.
Speaker 9: You talk about how this man named Thurzo has the authority to look into it as it comes to this attention. But he happens to be Nadasti's best friend, so he has to proceed very cautiously and respectfully as his friend's wife. So he what he does. He writes a letter to Bathory's son on how to proceed. So, what is It's very telling as you write a book. What does Bathory's son say about her guilt or innocence and how to and how does he choose to proceed? How does he suggest they that Thurzele proceeds?
Speaker 5: The son says, the son doesn't protest. The son doesn't say anything like, how dare you bring these outrageous accusations against my mother? It's actually her son in law. He just the family members, the children, They just say, listen, you can investigate her, you can do what you need to do, just don't bring her to trial. We don't want a public spectacle. We don't want her standing up there and ranting on about the girl and the murder suicide. You know, we just we don't want to be shamed. So yeah, the son in law literally wrote, public punishment would shame us all. And as I say, I think that's telling because to me, it says that they suspected or they knew because they weren't flustered. They were almost resigned to this idea that she was going to get caught, and they just didn't want to be embarrassed. It's pretty damning. I think.
Speaker 9: You talk about the four accomplices that trial claimed there was thirty to fifty victims. The king had heard that there was three hundred. Tell us a little bit about this trial, and tell us about what the public at this trial or what was she depicted as.
Speaker 5: So the trial, so what happened was or so that was never you know, brought onto the stand or whatever, but her torture squad of four was and they were tortured, and they were confessions are extracted, and then they were the only ones. All in all, three hundred and six people testified against her. This wasn't necessarily that they got up on the stand and testified, but that there's O who you mentioned earlier, who was sort of leading the charge against her. He I guess you could call it due diligence fifteen hundred style. He went around and collected all the evidence he could before bringing an accusation against her. So three hundred and six people gave evidence. But as we've touched on before earlier, the most absolutely, the most damning testimony came from her torture squad, and they were the ones who were saying, you know, she's tearing out chunks of flesh. She's beating these girls until their bloody bodies burst. She's beating them so hard that she herself was covered in blood. She's torturing them ten times a day. This is all coming out of her servant's mouths. It's very damning. And yeah, there was no number of dead girls that was ever really officially decided upon. The rumors were flying one young witness that there were six hundred, and then the accomplices of the in the torture squad did put it lower around thirty to fifty. Still a huge number of victims for a serial killer. So that was what happened on the witness stand. And then let's see, three of the torture squad were executed, and then one woman, Kataline, who had always been more soft hearted and always been more reluctant, she was thrown into jail. And then what happened to ursa bet as she was never taken to trial, as was promised to her son and son in law, but she was imprisoned in her own castle and she was literally bricked up in a room with a little swat to get food through. It was a Gothic Gothic punishment, very befitting our Gothic Hungarian countess.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and she always maintained her innocence, you say, and she was depicted as a beast, basically memorializes that as a beast. And you say, one very interesting thing that her crypt in nineteen ninety five. Tell us about her crypt in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 5: Sure, so her crypt, her body was moved at least once, because at first she was buried in holy ground and the residents were like, oh no, no, no, no, no. Her body was moved to the bathroom crypt and it was open nineteen ninety five, and they didn't find a single sign that her body was ever there. So she could be among us today, We don't know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you talk about the myth that everybody has heard about, and we'll just get to it, the blood bath that she was killing, spilling the blood, bathing in it to remain young forever. Tell us about what you found about the myth. And yeah, as you do, you offer reasons why this myth may have emerged.
Speaker 5: Yes, so the popular myth is yes, she did it all for vanity, because she needed virgin blood to bathe in. I don't think I even mentioned this in the book. But one of the reasons that can't be true is because this is so gross. But apparently blood congeals very fast and you can't like collect it and bathe in it. But basically what happened was the guy who rediscovered her trial transcript in the seventeen twenties was a Jesuit scholar, and he's sort of the one we have to think that we know about her at all, but he's also the one we have to not thank for some of these legends. So he the blood bathroomor I don't know why, but it first appears in the book he wrote, and it does not appear in the trial transcripts, and but people have watched on to it. I mean, it's compelling, it's fascinating, it's creepy, it makes it explains why she did what she did. You know, well, oh, she was vain, she needed virgin blood, and the bloodbathrumor is become like part of her symbol. So there are a lot of black metal songs about her, and they mentioned bloodbaths. There's a lot of art about her, and she's always in a bloodbath. That sort of become the number one thing people think about when they think about verst of that bassory, But there's no proof that it's true, and there's a lot of there's a lot of proof that it's not true, like the fact that it's not mentioned in the trial, or like the fact that some of her torture squad mentioned her beating these girls so badly that her blood or that her shirt would get drenched in blood and she would have to stop the torture and go change. So you know, she's clearly not collecting the blood if that's what she's doing, She's just it's just sort of like a gross side effect. So yeah, the blood baths are not true, as much as you know, it would make for a spooky story.
Speaker 7: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 7: Are you a fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 7: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to deem serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, So don't wait start having the most fun ever at Shumba casino dot com.
Speaker 8: No, we're just necessary deadly. Where if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus?
Speaker 9: And what do you conclude with this story? What did you come away with? I guess and what do you leave for the reader as sort of a conclusion on this incredible again the grand name of serial killers? What do we take away from this story?
Speaker 5: Well, a, humans are terrifying and history is weird. But mostly what I took away was that people we tend to sexualize our female serial killers as a way to deal with them and to make them less scary and to understand them. Ursabet is incredibly sexualized. You know her legend. I mean, if you just as I say in the book, if you just run a Google image search on her, she's like nude and all the images, so she's just become like this ooh, sexy vampire. Maybe she was a lesbian, like this tittilating figure. And I think that's stupid because for trial transcripts, you know, if you read them, they didn't that's not what she was.
Speaker 10: She was a sadist, and she was a psychopath.
Speaker 5: And she was a terrible person, and to me, it's like, you don't have to sexualize her to make her story compelling or interesting or creepy. It's terrifying as it is. It's even scarier for me if she's just if we just treat her as the evil Countess that she was the blood Countess, rather than like this symbol of oh, kind of a vampire and kind of I think we should just like space the potential of your evil. They're dead in the eye and that's terrifying enough.
Speaker 9: Certainly, certainly, Tory, We're going to use this as an opportunity to just stop for a second to talk about our sponsor, which is Blue Apron, and Blue Apron is the number one fresh ingredient and recipe delivery service in the country, and Blue Apron's mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone. Blue Apron achieves this by supporting a more sustainable food system, setting the highest standards for ingredients, and building a community of home chefs. Blue Apron has established partnerships with over one hundred and fifty local farms, fisheries, and ranchers across the United States. As a result, seafood is sourced sustainably beef, chicken and pork come from responsibly raised animals. Produce the source from farms that practice regenerative farming. Now there's featured upcoming meals. I get to get these meals, so it's incredible. I tried the garlic butter shrimp this time, and corn with green bean salad and roasted purple tomatoes. Now all these combinations of spices and all the fresh ingredients, every step by step instructions on how to do this is sent to you. So this gourmet I always say this gourmet meals made by me at home. Garlic butter, shrimp and corn with green bean salad and roasted purple tomatoes. Amazing. I would have never thought to put any of that stuff together. It was incredible. And also tried to skill it vegetable chili with corn meal and cheddar, drop biscuits and again amazing combination of spices and incredibly fresh ingredients sent right to your door. It's affordable for less than ten dollars per person per meal. Blue Apron delivers seasonal recipes along with preportioned ingredients to make your own delicious home cooked meals. Choose from a variety of new recipes each week or let Blue aprons culinary team surprise you. Recipes are not repeated within a year, so you'll never get bored. Customize your recipes each week based on your preferences, and Blue Apron has several delivery options so you can choose what fits your needs. And there's no weekly commitment, so you only get deliveries when you want them. Like I say, each meal comes with a step by step, easy to follow recipe card and pre portion ingredients and can be prepared in thirty minutes or less. Now Blue Apron knows you're busy, so now they're offering thirty minute meals. These meals are made with the same flavor and farm fresh ingredients you know and love, and are ready now in thirty minutes or less. Check out this week's menu and get your first three meals free with free shipping by going to Blue Apron dot com slash murder. That's Blue Apron dot com slash murder. Blue Apron a better way to cook. We talked about at length about Bathory, and this is just the introduction. This is one of the many chapters is in your book. Let's move on to a chapter you call the Worst Woman on Earth. Lizzie Holliday. And this is in late eighteen hundred. So Lizzie is serving time for Arson in a Pennsylvania East State penn attentiary. And you say he's a model prisoner. So take us back to this story Lizzie Halliday the Worst Woman on Earth, and tell us a little bit about Lizzie Halliday and why on earth she'd be called the worst woman on Earth.
Speaker 5: Awesome, Wow, I love livesay Holiday story in a morbid way. She was called the worst woman on Earth by many newspapers, including the New York Times. So when we meet Lizzie Holliday in this chapter, she is doing time for Arson, as you said, and she's doing just sign to the two year sentence, and right before she's about to be released, she just kind of switched flips and she starts acting insane. And so she gets transferred to an asylum and does the rest of her sentence there and then she walks free. She gets out of the asylum, she goes straight to this little town in Pennsylvania called Newburgh and meets an older man who is looking for like a housekeeper, and she kind of charms him, even though she's definitely a weird person her whole life. People were both interested in her and repelled by her. She charms him and she gets the job, and then soon enough he's like, well, if I marry her, it's cheaper, I don't have to pay her the forty dollars a week or whatever he's paying her. So they get married. And there they get married, and.
Speaker 10: This guy's name is Paul Halliday.
Speaker 5: He already has a bunch of kids. His kids do not like Lizzie. They think she's weird. They don't understand why she suddenly in their lives. They're just very confused. Paul Holliday also has a son who is handicapped and still lives at home with him, and Lizzie comes into their lives and it is the worst thing ever, one of the many crazy things she did. While Paul Holliday was still alive, was burned down his entire house with his poor son inside. And when they came racing back and saw the rubble, Lizzie was standing there and she had She claimed, oh, he died trying to save me. He went back into the fire to try and save me. But somehow they could tell from the sun's bedroom door it was locked and Lizzie had the key with her, so they could tell she had her locked this poor son in there and he had died. So that's like her first murder that barely even gets mentioned because she there were so many more. But basically, Lizzie is from Ireland, very originally as a young child. She came over to the US when she was young, and her family kind of lost touch with her because she was always difficult, troublesome too much. She would get very angry at you. She would she attacked some of her family members, but she also loved them very deeply. She was just unpredictable and wasn't that much fun to have around. I think she was married with it five times. She went through all these marriages, often with older men, that ended really poorly. No one died yet, but they were just filled with drama and screaming, and in some of those marriages they were both terrified of each other and bad news all around. So oh, and over this period, there's so many details in her story, so please sedat me if I'm getting bogged down. But she had a son with one of these men, and he was taken from her when she went to jail for arson this was a separate thing of arson. This wasn't the arson where she killed Paul Holiday's son. And while she was in jail, her son was given away to Foster Home and she was never able to find him. So that was, you know, one of the early tragedies of her life.
Speaker 9: You say there was, only it was only a month after she had burned down the house, she burnt down the barn and the mill, and declaring that he needed a new one anyway, and then she ran off with another man, and then she was hadn't thrown back in jail where apparently again she was acting insane, pulling out her hair and screaming, and that thought her acquitted of those charges, and then yes, and she go ahead.
Speaker 5: So so that was sort of a classic Lizzy thing, do something really wild it didn't really make sense, get thrown into jail, start screaming, get transferred to the asylum. And while that happened, her husband, Paul, this latest husband, was like, oh no, she's perfectly sane, don't listen to her. So she stayed at the asylum for a year and then the doctor said she's cured, and she got out, and another year passed and then Paul Holliday goes missing, and Lizzie says that he's gone on a business trip. So he's gone, He's gone, I'll be back soon, but everyone is suspicious. Her neighbors have heard really strange sounds coming from the farm at night. Paul Holliday's kids were never cool with her, so instantly they're like, I don't like this. We don't know where dad is. So basically what happens is these neighbors decide that they're going to search the farm and see if they can find poor Paul Halliday anywhere. And what happens is they search the farm house, they don't find anything. They search the barn and they find this big pile of straw, and underneath the straw there's like garbage. And then underneath the garbage they find two bodies. They're looking for one and they find two, and these are two bodies of women. So that was when the town and the police, who quickly got involved, knew that they had sort of an exceptional case on their hands. This wasn't just one of your husband, you know, wife kills husband in a fit of rage, but this was a far bigger crime than that.
Speaker 9: Now, what happens with the search for Paul Holliday after they find these bodies, How does it? How do police proceed in? What happens with Lizzie Halliday?
Speaker 5: So the police let's see timeline, so they Lizzie gets thrown into jail. But what happens before that, after when they're searching for when they're searching the farm, right before they find these two female bodies, is that Lizzy starts acting really strange. She screams at the police that they can't come in. Then she starts talking about how she has bugs calling all over her and she's trying to pick them off. She just like starts acting weird, but people report that she has this clever look in her eyes, so they aren't convinced that she's not acting. So she gets blocked up put in jail, where she starts immediately doing her thing where she's screaming and she's being very performative. And meanwhile, Paul Holliday's kids are still worried about their father. So one of the boys goes over to search the farm with a friends, very worried about what he might find. What he finds is that there's a floorboard in the kitchen that looks a little unusual. He lifted up the dirt underneath has been disturbed, and they sort of he and his friend put a like a metal rod down to kind of see what's down there, and they hit something that's sort of firm but also soft in a way, and I assume they went screaming out of their and their worst fears were confirmed when it's dug up and it's the body of Paul Holliday, their dad, and he's been shot and he's been hit beaten in the head so hard that his left eye had fallen out of a socket. So now she's got three bodies kind of around. So she's in jail now, and there's these three bodies that have been found around her home and her farm, and people immediately start questioning whether or not she's insane, because I mean, we still have, you know, the insanity plea. People are very conflicted by her because she's doing these things that we think of as what someone who's not in their right mind would do, Like she's raving and screaming and picking at her clothes and froughing is a mouth more or less. But then people also sometimes catch her in moments where she seems like she knows what's going on, Like, you know, if she doesn't know anyone's watching, she'll just sit on her bed very quietly. Once she knows someone's watching, she'll start to scream and tear at her hair and stuff. And she has this knowing look in her eye sometimes that people point at. So people don't know what to make of her, and people really never never do. It's the theme that haunts her whole career as a serial killer. It's people don't know if she was insane or not. And so the bodies of the women are identified, and they're they're sort of random, like they're not even really her neighbors. They live in a nearby town, and it's a mother and a daughter, and she basically lured them over to her house one after the other on the pretense that she wanted to hire a meeting woman. And she said her name was missus Smith. And you know, we don't there are no witnesses from the night they died, so we don't know exactly what went down. But she had shot them in the heart and wrapped them up and put cloth around their heads, which is so creepy, and wrap them up and drag them to the barn and put them under the hay. So all that is that their identity comes out. And as the as she's being held in jail and the trial is getting underway, and then the trial is a lot of speculation about her mental state, and you know, the prosecution has doctors go in and examine her, and she flies at one of them with she picks up the lid off her toilet and her jail cell and tries to crack his head open, and she raves at them, and she talks about the Holy Spirit and the number thirteen, and she says there's a river running outside of her cell door, and they're not convinced. One of them says that she's overdoing the art, which I love. He's just like, no, you're trying too hard. So basically what happens. But she has this great lawyer. I love her defense layer. There are a lot of really sweet, well meaning defense lawyers in this book who are just like you can just tell they were very empathetic people. And her defense lawyer is just like everyone looks. She's completely friendless. She's silent, she's not speaking for herself, She's completely silent in this courtroom. She's just this pitiful figure, and she's clearly insane because there's absolutely no motive for this crime of the two of killing the two women, and a motiveless crime is an insane crime, is basically his argument. But the jury does not buy that argument. The jury debates her a couple of hours, and then they come out and they say guilty of murder in the first degree and not insane in the slightest And I think that no. I know for a fact that with that verdict came the electric chair, and that would have made her the first woman to ever die in the electric chair, I believe, And in fact, the sort of monumentousness of that idea that she would be the first woman in the electric chair changed people's minds. Immediately after the verdict was handed down, People all of a sudden, we're like, wait, wait, wait, wait, okay, we weren't sure that she was insane, but we didn't actually think she should get the death penalty. It suddenly started seeming too serious and just too terrible to people, and so people started petitioning the governor. The governor of New York I think to take another look into her case, and he listened, and he actually appointed this special commission of doctors who were, you know, I guess, less biased than the prosecutions doctors to inspect Lollie Holiday and sort of hand down a new verdict on her sanity. And these doctors are also really great. They were appalled at how the trial went down. The trial was way too sensational. They said, it was just too much of the public screaming that she was saying and she needed the death penalty, and just too much drama, and it wasn't like a fair scientific examination of her mental states. And basically, what this new special Commission of doctors decided, and this is what I believe too of Lizzie Holliday, is that she was a smart woman. She was not completely clueless. She knew what she was doing because not only could she maintain sort of a normal life and social appointments and pay her bills, but the crimes were well executed. She hid the bodies, she killed normal people. This wasn't the work of someone just kind of raving around with a gun in her hand and no idea where she was. So they acknowledged that she was smart and she was with it in some way, but they said that she had something called conscious impulsive insanity, which was kind of violence that just burst from her that she couldn't help, and she was sort of, yeah, she was helpless in the face of her own violence. So they couldn't They said that they couldn't decide if she knew that what she was doing was wrong, but they were positive that she was unable to stop herself from doing it, and so they declared her insane, which got her off the electric chair, got her out of the electric chair, and got her life in the insane asylum at this town called Mattiawan. I don't know if I'm pronouncing that right.
Speaker 9: You talk in the book, though, and I thought it very interesting with the parallels today, that people were at that time, despite the description of insanity a lot of symptoms of insanity or characteristics that would be linked to insanity, or that they were really afraid that she would be deemed insane and it was just a dodge her physiction and that she would be somehow let out. And as you just said, she was sentenced to never get out of the insane asylum. So people even at that time were afraid that people might dodge justice by the insanity defense you also talk about very interesting character. Also was a intrepid girl reporter that she was already did investigations into the women's lunatic asylum on Blackwells Island. And she was named Nellie Bly and she had interviewed Lizzie Holiday. So what is some of the stuff, as you write in the book, that she got Lizzie to say or what Lizzie did say to her?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nellie, Yeah, Nellie Bly is amazing. Maybe some of you have heard of her before. She's kind of like a cult figure in Journalism's very cool, and yeah, she scored these this two part exclusive interview with Lizzie. So it's awesome because it's one of the few cases where we have, you know, quotes from the killer from the sources that we can trust. So basically, she finally got Lizzie to talk about the crimes. It took her a long time. Lizzie just wants to talk about her finances. She wanted to talk about, you know, make sure you get my horse to go, you know, she just wanted to talk business in a weird way. But Nellie finally got her to talk about the crimes and what Lizzie did was, and she does this a couple times in her life. Is she kind of acknowledges that she was there, but she uses very passive language and says that some shadowy other figure did it. It's really weird because you know, if you were gonna, if you were completely with it, you would just deny that you were anywhere near the scene of the crime, I assume, But.
Speaker 10: She says, she says that there was this quote unquote gang. She doesn't really say who or why, but this gang came by and killed these two women, and Lizzie didn't even know that it had happened because she was corformed. But when she woke up, the women were gone.
Speaker 5: And even though there were you know, bloodstains on her carpet and bullet holes in her walls, she was just like, well, they've probably left, and just went on with her day. And so, of course journalist Nelly is like very skeptical because it's just a crazy story, I mean, core a form and a mysterious gang showing up to murder, and she pushes and pushes to get a confession out of Lizzie, and finally she can't get a confession. So finally Nellie says I believe that you and you alone killed your husband and these women and buried them. I don't believe you were ever insane one moment in your life, and that you are the shrewdest and most wonderful woman criminal of the world has ever known. And creepy Lizzie just gave her a big old smile and didn't say anything. And then Nellie goes, did you or did you not kill these people? And Lizzie says, some other time. My head feels bad now some other times, And then Nellie's about to leave, but she decides to try one more time, and she just asks, do you repent of your crimes? Do you think you did something wrong? And Lizzie says, God will send you back to me, and that's her last blind and Nellie, which is so creepy. And in the article, Nelly says she left the prison with a little chill running to her body.
Speaker 9: You talk about her time in the insane asylum of Mattawan mattia Wan, and you talk about a woman named Nellie Wicks, one of the attendants, only twenty four years old. So tell us about the continuing sag of Lizzie Halliday once she's locked up. There's all kinds of incidents, seasoned solitary confinement for attacks, but tell us about what happens.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, So by the time Nellie Wicks comes into Lizzie's life, Lizzie has been in prison for a long time, a couple decades. She's in her mid forties, and she's you know, gained weight. She used to starve herself and be really skinny, and now she's just kind of like comfortable and peace full, and it's like, oh, that's that old murderess Lizzie Holliday. You know, that's sort of the vibe in the asylum. People aren't scared of her. She's given sewing privileges, so she has a little basket of supplies. And Nellie Wicks is the head attendant of the women's department there, and she's just a great the great girl, great worker, and she has dreams of leaving the asylum and training to be a nurse. But in the meantime she's doing it great. She's doing great work in the asylum. So Lizzie and Nelly get very close, and Nellie just trusts Lizzie. She thinks that her violent days are over, and she thinks they have a special bond, which they do, but it's a special creepy bond. So finally Nellie gets the news that she's you know, she gets into a nursing school or whatever. So she comes into the asylum and she tells everyone, yeah, I'm leaving to pursue my dreams. And Lizzie really does not like this, and Lizzie begs her not to go, begs her not to go, and Wick says, you know, I have to go, but everything's gonna be fine, and Lizzie starts murdering, sorry, it's Fridian slip. Lizzie starts murmuring, oh, I'm gonna kill her if she goes. But that was Lizzie. People were used to her making threats. She talks about murdering people under her breath all the time, and she never did anything, so people didn't think anything of it, which was a huge mistake. So one day before Nellie's last day at work, Lizzie takes her gets her basket of sewing supplies and she gets the scissors out of it and she follows Nellie into the woman's bathroom and Nellie doesn't see that she's there, and Lizzie springs up behind her and starts beating her to the floor and grabs the keys and locks from Nellie's you know, belt or whatever, and locks the door from the inside and begins to stab Nellie. And she stabs her over two hundred times in the face and the heart and the neck, and by the time the other attendants at the asylum here her screaming and managed to break down the door. She's unconscious and bleeding out, and she dies twenty minutes later. And actually Nelly became because of that. Nelly became the first known female law enforcement officer in the US to be killed in the line of duty. And someone asked, Lizzie, why did you do that? She was your friend. You guys got a little like, how could you do something this awful? And Lizzy said, she tried to leave me. Yeah, incredible, terrible.
Speaker 9: Now what did they think? And now that she's in insane asylum, kills a law enforcement person, a twenty four year old person with her life ahead of her, what do they do now? As this asylum, what do they think about her?
Speaker 5: Insane?
Speaker 9: Now they believe she's insane, Now what do they do?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm pretty sure she goes back into solitary confinement. She's already done a stint in there for attacking another female attendant years before. But yeah, they believe she's insane. I think the people at the asylum always thought that she was insane, but they had thought that she had just calmed down and she wasn't violent anymore. But you know, she's already in the she's already in the asylum of her life, so there's really not much they can do, and she just lives out the rest of her days there. Nelly was her last murder. I think that makes her fifth murder. She had attempted to kill a sixth person, but so Nelly was her last murder. And something that's unique about Lizzie is that it's the randomness of her killing. I mean there's no you know, a lot of people kill family members or like Ted Bundy, like Brunette girls, but Lizzie was just such a random killer. You know, a husband here, some neighbors there, you know of what would you call Nelly, like sort of almost a supervisor figure there. Just really scary. But yeah, she stayed in the asylum for the rest of her life and she died. Let me look up where she died. I forgot. I think she was in her sixties. She was fifty eight. So she was in the asylum after killing Nellie for a decade and a half.
Speaker 9: I think, and just there you talk about the title that evolved, the Worst Woman on Earth, and you talk about the media sensation, and it was a newspaper headlines tell us a little bit about how big this story was, and again, where this worst woman on Earth? And how big was that? How important was this story? How far did it go around the world.
Speaker 5: It was a huge, huge story, especially when she was captured the first time for killing her the two neighbor women, and her husband. It was, you know, people panicked. People thought she was just the most terrible freak show horror they'd ever seen. And it got so bad that people rumors started flying around that she was actually Jack the Ripper and that she had just you know, done her crimes in England and then come over to America to kill more people. So yeah, it was absolutely a huge story. And then she was still famous. I mean, she became a celebrity like serial killers often do, and she was still famous when she was doing her years in the asylum before she killed Nelly, who journalists would occasionally come out there and check up on her, kind of write an update, but by the time she was dead, she was pretty much forgotten. So this worst Woman on Earth, I couldn't find.
Speaker 11: You know, the first publication to give for that title, but it was so it was at least ubiquitous enough that when The New York Times reported her death, they referred to her as someone who had been called the worst woman on Earth.
Speaker 5: So I think it was just kind of floating around in the zeitgeist back then. And I think that's an interesting title because I mean, we've just talked about Bathory, who you know, probably killed more people if her story is true, and so it's like, well, she wasn't the worst woman on Earth if we're going to rank killings. You know, she didn't claim the most victims, and she was insane in her way. She had this conscious, impulsive insanity, you know, I don't know, I don't I didn't want to diagnose her with like a term we would use today, but she wasn't sane. So it's just interesting that she got called the worst on Earth. And I think it shows how just horrified people were of her and how grossed out they were of her. There was a lot of referring to her as an animal or this sort of wild, feral beast, which they said about Bathory too. Actually, so yeah, those I think there's a lot to say about the fact that she was called the worst woman on earth or absolutely.
Speaker 9: You take us now to a story called Viper. So you talk and take us to Egypt and Alexandria, and you talk about two sisters or two women, Raya and Sequina. So tell us a little bit about the time in Alexandria and where what what time period we're talking about here first, and tell us a little bit about sort of a little bit of a background there that would set up the situation for Raya and Sequina at that time.
Speaker 5: Sure, and yeah, there were Yeah, So World War One has just ended. We're in Alexandria in Egypt, and times are very tense. Not only are gender roles changing as they were in many, you know, many countries across the world at that time, but this huge, devastating war has just ended, and the Egyptian people are thinking, Okay, the British troops are supposed to leave. Now, We're supposed to become a self governing nation. This is what we're promised, and they don't see that happening. So this is like nineteen nineteen, I think, and Alexandria is very tense. There's a lot of riots, there's a lot of violence breaking out, there's strikes going out. The Egyptian people, the Alexandrian people are very angry at the authorities. And because of all this violence, the police are kind of distracted. And so our tale takes place in the poorest district of Alexandria, which is called a Laban. And not only are the police distracted by these riots and demonstrations, but the police were never paying that much attention to this district in the first place, because I mean, we've you know, we've seen how this go. You know, the poorer districts, the poorer places tend to just sort of slip through the cracks. The authorities don't really care if a dead body turns up here or there. So Riya and Sakina are sisters, and we there's one. I don't know a ton about their early lives. I will say there is a great book about them that is very well researched, and it is in Arabic, and I cannot find a translation of it, but it is in the footnotes or it is in the end notes of this chapter, so if anyone wants to dive into them further. But basically, they came from a broken home with a narcissistic mom, and they just kind of moved around Upper Egypt a lot and lived this sort of transient lifestyle with full of petty crime. So they were just they were petty criminals from early on, but they were also very well, it's not either or they were petty criminals, and they were very enterprising. They were kind of like entrepreneurs. They were hustlers. They always had a scheme going to make money, and they got into the brothel business because it was lucrative because they lived near these British camps and the British soldiers were happy to frequent these brothels. So for a while they were making a lot of money, and they had husbands who were kind of secondary characters because it honestly seemed like Ryan Sequino or the brains behind the operations. But what happened after World War One and all this tension was that they started making less money with these brothels, and basically they just power dynamics were shifting both in the world and in the city and in the microcosm of their neighborhood and their brothels. And it's complicated, but that led to violence because they, especially Riah, the older sister, was very paranoid and was very what's the word for when you just you think everyone's out to get I guess literally paranoid. She just was suspicious. She always thought people owed her money or the people were trying to con her. So what happened was their girl, you know, the sex workers, the girls that worked at their brothels. Were back in the good old days of World War One, when they were making a ton of money, they were able to buy their girls gold bracelets, which was sort of the thing to where as, you know, to advertise yourself to the Johns, you wanted as many gold bracelets and gold jewelry as possible. And then when time started getting tougher after World War One, when they were making less money, Rya started getting really suspicious, like she would the girls had to buy their own bracelets, and she would get really suspicious that maybe they'd gotten money for an encounter with a client and hadn't given ray or her cut. So it all kind of happened around gold. And the rumor that's endured that I don't really think is true is that Ryan Sequina would actually start hunting down women who were wearing a lot of gold in the marketplace, just random women, and lure them back to their apartment and apply them with drugged wine. Should I get to the crimes or is there anything you want to talk about before? I?
Speaker 9: Well, it seems like very similar again because the you talk about people looking the other way and not noticing, and there is a society at that time, at the time, there was people that went unnoticed, and so they were able to do that. So and it seems like what you talk about is that Ray and Seqina had been hauled off to the police before for questioning. And it have been numerous times, numerous missing women, but they had always they had always managed to convince the police they had nothing to do with the cases. So tell us how everything comes undone?
Speaker 5: Sure? So, yeah, women start to go missing and people start to complain maybe a family member here and neighbor there, and yes, the police do occasionally. Oh what happens is there's the common threat in a lot of these missing cases is oh, they were last scene with Seqina. Oh, they were last sing with Riya. But the sisters managed to talk the right out of it, especially Sequina, who is just kind of the more outgoing, clever, brave one and exactly like you said, I mean, the police didn't care about the inhabitants of this neighborhood. They didn't this a Labon was a poor district, and it was also kind of if you were like a European sailor, it was where you went to find vice. You know, you could find some drugs and some boods and some women and the police didn't care. And I mean we see this throughout history in cases where the victims are prostitutes or sex workers. You know, it's you just they people don't care as much as when it's like the cheerleader from the Chicago suburb or whatever. Sure, there's a sense that these people are disposable. And there's a sense too, I think that Ryan Sequina were disposable. So yeah, the police are not doing a good job here. There's a lot of shady stuff happening and they're just kind of ignoring it and what's really happening or Okay, so I'll jump, I'll jump ahead to how it really started to unravel. Basically, neighbors this is so gross. But neighbors start to complain that Riat's house smells really awful. There's this the caying stench coming from it, and no matter how much incense she burns, she can't hide the stench. And Raya's like, well, people drink here, it's we have parties here. It gets thirty people are like, oh, so the police are getting complaints about that. And then simultaneously, in a house that Sekina used to live in, uh, the owners decide to redo the pipes, and so they're digging into the floor and the guy who they've it's their cousin they've hired to dig up the floor hits something hard and it's a human arm. So sort of at the same time, Sequina's old apartment floor is dug up and they find bodies under it, and then Raya's apartment, with all the accusations that it's smell bad, is dug up and they find bodies under the floor, and they even find a couple bodies under the floor of their old land lady. So all of a sudden, it all kind of snaps into focus for the police, and they're like, Okay, we've had all these missing women, we've had these reports of missing women, and now we've got like these seventeen bodies and they're in the they're all connected to these sisters. So the sisters get dragged in for questioning and Sakina manages to deny, deny, deny, but apparently Riah, the older sister, ends up breaking and that kind of dooms them both and she confesses.
Speaker 9: You talk about to the media response. The newspapers even published photos of the victims, and they find some of these victims are skeletal remains only.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm. Yeah. That's really sad to me because well, I mean, can you imagine seeing a photo of skeletal remains published in the papers today? But it really it really shook the neighborhood because it was like, Okay, not only did this horrible crime happen right here under our noses, but the fact that these bodies were there for so long that they've turned into skeletons or like some of them, it sort of started to mummify.
Speaker 2: I mean, that.
Speaker 5: Showed that was just graphic visual evidence of how long the police had not cared, how long the police had not been doing their jobs. They had not been doing their jobs for long enough for a female body to turn into a mommified skeleton was just a little hair attached to the skull. I mean, it was like this really gruesome, obvious sign of the police not caring. So the journalists at the time there were some impassion and very sad editorials written, and one of them said the common refrain was just like where are the police or the police? One of them said, where are the police when these crimes are committed? Some of these bodies have turned into skeletons, showing that the victims were murdered a long time ago. So, yeah, it was that sense of abandonment by the authorities in that sense that no one cares about these victims, and no one cares about us, the neighborhood where these crimes have been happening.
Speaker 9: You also say that it seemed at the time, nineteen twenties Egypt, that glaring It was a glaring symbol of everything that was wrong with a society where women walked unveiled through the streets.
Speaker 5: Yes, that is what the papers bought, like, that is what society thought that or yeah, let me back up Basically, the sisters became so infamous so fast, even though there's plenty of evidence that their husbands were involved in the killing, and that these two men who are kind of the bodyguards of the brothels, were also involved. So there were six people accused of the crimes, but the men were just totally forgotten because it was like these killing sisters were I mean, they were so perfect for the headlines, and yeah, they turned into these symbols. The case ballooned beyond the facts of the crime, and they turned into these symbols for this decline and female morality. So these editorials were written like that really blamed the victims for sort of getting themselves to the point in society where they would even encounter a Riah or a Sakina, blaming the victims for moral failings, for walking down the streets where people like Ryan and Saquina lurked. And so it was like, you know, Egypt and Alexandria was already in a place of anxiety about the fact that women's roles were changing and women were walking around and being a little bit more free and maybe even frequenting cafes and bars, and so this case was like a perfect warning sign, I guess for people who wanted to argue that when shouldn't be allowed to walk around the streets, because it was like, well, look at what happens you walk, and you walk around the streets of Alaban as a woman, you get yourself murdered. So yeah, it became this, They became this pawn in a cultural battle. I guess you could say about female morality.
Speaker 9: You also talk about them being portrayed as beast with claws towering over a trembling girl and hissing, no escape for you from my talons, And there's all kinds of inhuman depiction beasts and foxes and wolves, and you say that there is even a rumor that Ray and Ryan Sequina were being displayed at the zoo, and people ran to the zoo to make, you know, to see if that was the case. But you also talk about the women's crimes generally demand an element of mercy. Was that the case in this case.
Speaker 5: That this was not the case. So the prosecutor was arguing that these sisters should get the death penalty, even though no woman in Egypt had gotten the death penalty before. And what he said was, okay, we had reasons for not giving them the death penalty in the past. First of all, women's crimes generally demand an element of mercy, and he meant he was talking about crimes where you know, sort of you kill. Well, his example was when a woman is when women are driven to kill their husband's second wives, which is sort of a dumb example, but you know, he's talking about things where there's sort of an emotional reason or something like jealousy or abuse, or not that abuse is an emotional reason, but he's saying, Okay, women's crimes generally demand an element of mercy. But Yenza China's crimes were not done in self defense or jealousy or anything, and so they don't deserve compassion. And he also said that the death penalty used to be a public thing, and so that was reason enough not to give it to a woman because you didn't want to have society see woman be Hong. But now the death penalty had been taken sort of folded inside the prison, and so he was like, so reason number two for not killing a woman is gone, so we should give them the death penalty. And indeed they did get the death penalty. Whose argument was effective and people were so horrified by them, and actually all six of them got the death penalty. So the sisters, their husbands, and these two bodyguards who were implicated in the crimes.
Speaker 9: You say that right after the sisters were hung or hanged, they entered into public mythology almost immediately six months after their death. Talk about some of the things that how they entered mythology by virtue of.
Speaker 5: Sure. So to this day there there they kind of haunt Egypt. You know, I've spoken to a couple of people from Egypt and they've said that Ryan Takin are like they still these figures of evil. They immediately started or people immediately started putting them in plays or poems or books, so they immediately became characters. There was a film from nineteen fifty three called Ryan Sequina that showed the police as these heroes who caught the sisters just in time before they were about to do their final murder. Obviously that's a little propaganda ish, because as we know, that's not what happened with the police. They were in a TV show in I want to say, two thousand and five, and my friend has watched it and I've just been apparently it's just like really pulpy and hilarious. So yeah, they were in a lot of a lot of sort of popular culture things, and their legend definitely spread all across Egypt and I think remains that way to this day.
Speaker 9: You have some quotes from her as well that Sekina one of the guards when they were taken for their execution, he said, tough enough, be strong. What did Sequina say to him? Which is demonstrative of her defiance.
Speaker 5: Sequina when the guard told her that, she kind of snarled and she said, I am a strong woman. If I can take on a hundred, I can take on a thousand. And then a little bit later she said, I murdered. I murdered, but it's okay because I fooled the government of a Labah. And then as she was nearing the uh, what's it called the gallows, she said, this is a place where strong one, this is a place where strong people stand. I'm a strong woman, and I've done things that even men can't do, and I mean very impressive bowld fiery words, and oddly enough, when those words are published, people, a certain type of person who is maybe a little bit more anti establishment, was like, oh, I'm kind of liking Sechina. Now she's sort of this anti establishment hero. And those are also some embarrassing final words for the police and the government, who because that's exactly what happened. She did fool the police, She did fool the government for a long time by being this strong woman. I mean, you know, I don't want to praise what she did at all, but she did. She did kind of con the system, and so I think people were weirdly impressed by her final words, and like, Okay, she's not just some you know, shrinking violet whose husband manipulated her into killing or something. She's she's a strong woman, as she says.
Speaker 9: Defy it to the end. Absolutely, and they've become the they become boogieman in their home country. The Rayah and Sechina will get you, the mothers tell their young daughters to this day.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's creepy and fascinating.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. Now we don't have any more time to go into the other stories, but maybe you can just tell us how we might be able to get this book. If you have a Facebook page, I know this is a Harper perennial release, yes, and if you do any Twitter or how people might find out about this work. And also if you do any social media at all, let us know about that.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, thanks, yes, yes you can pre order it. It comes out October tenth, and you can pre order it now on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Indie bound Her per Perennials, website, Apple, really anywhere. I think if you Google it should come up pretty easily. And then yes I would for social things, I would just go to my website Tori Telford dot com, which I am redoing, but it's still there. And I have a newsletter and you know, you can follow me on Goodreads or Instagram or whatever, and yeah, that would be great. And if anyone's in Chicago, I have the launch is happening on October tenth, and the details are on my website. So I'm excited about that absolutely.
Speaker 9: And also you have some we we just talked about in the introduction to You have some very very interesting illustrations by Dame Darcy that are included in your book. And also I wanted to thank you very much for coming on and talk about lady killers deadly women throughout history. It's been a real pleasure and I want to thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I hope you we hope to talk to you again. And thank you very much for coming on and talking about lady killers. And you have a great evening.
Speaker 11: Good night you too, good night, thank you.