Speaker 1: Gee, fist that fucking cass.
Speaker 2: A good data, have a good day.
Speaker 1: Name it's a good data, have a good day, Jimmy Deep.
Speaker 3: And we're back laps Pan Wrestling Podcast WCW Bash at the Beach nineteen ninety four. This really isn't one we can fuck around with, boss.
Speaker 2: No, it is not. We cannot fuck around with this, you fucking bitch.
Speaker 3: And if thank you, I don't even have to hit the sound bite, but I can remind you that the lapsed fan takes the stage Comedy Village Sunday, August third, high noon. Get your tickets at Comedy Village dot com and join us in the city that Never sleeps so the co chairman can issue an appropriate pounding for being a wrestling fan.
Speaker 2: Damn right, damn right, feel your pain, feel the pain and get what you deserve.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of every last thing you just said, I believe it's time for the nineteen ninety four Bash at the Beach Death Toll.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have fifteen Wow. Fifteen, which you know, all things considered, is kind of high for a WCW show. We don't usually. It's weird how w CW just didn't have a lot of dead people on contract at the same time. But we have Hank Aaron. Sure, it's not funny to laugh, but I just think it's funny. I kept I added this person onto the list. But we have country music star Darren Norwood, referee Randy Anderson, Bobby Heenan, Gene Oakland, Brad Armstrong, Bobbin's, Eaton, Antonio and Okins, Harlance Race, Voddrs.
Speaker 3: Come on, folks, look at the man. That's exactly correct.
Speaker 2: El Angel, the Guardian, Yeah, Terrence Funk, Paul Orndorf, Kevin Sullivan, the SENSU with Sharance and Nick Bockwinkle. You said Heenan, I said Heenan. Those hurt. Yeah, Oh yeah, it's a it's a it's a it's a bad one.
Speaker 3: Those are the core memories of a Hasbro era.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean these are I mean yeah, these these are a lot of I mean, you know, even even on the w c W side, Like it's it's like these are some these are some some tough ones, you know, some real tough ones like Bobby Eaton and Race and whatever. Like it's like, you know, because so many of like so many of those guys, it's it's a little more recent a little more recent than you know, so a lot of died in the last couple of years, you know, or Funk ornd or Sullivan. Yeah, all of them have just died very very recently, you know, within like five years.
Speaker 3: So we're not going to you know, if we did this for ten years, we're not going to get to another ten with everyone left and with anyone left.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, that's it. All our heroes will be dead. It's going to get worse before it gets better. In fact, it's not going to get better. It's going to get worse.
Speaker 3: To that point. The aforementioned Darren Norwood, who provides the national anthem at Batch at the Beach nineteen ninety four, definitely felt some kind of pain. According to Wikipedia, a year after this, he decided to retire from music because of an alcohol addiction.
Speaker 2: Hey there you go.
Speaker 3: And he died in twenty fifteen, wow by causes that weren't apparently confirmed, but there was. Let's put it this way, there's no trauma, none, none, whatsoever. We start the pay per view with an image of sunrise and a voice over a man who wants us to know Boss that since the time people have dreamt.
Speaker 2: You mean you mean this guy right here, this guy.
Speaker 4: Since the beginning of time, people have dreamt of the unfathomable. The dreamers have turned into champions, and the champions too immortal. Tonight, wc W brings you the unimaginable one.
Speaker 5: Two twelve times WCW.
Speaker 4: Champion Rick Flair and five Champion Paul Hogan.
Speaker 6: When these two worlds collide, a new universe will emerge with only one ruler, one champion. Live from Orlando, Florida, the Match of the Century has w c W percents Black at the Beach.
Speaker 7: The audiences can expect just a great overall entertainment movie.
Speaker 2: Rock.
Speaker 3: Here's a question, quickly, if you have a second Rock, just quickly before you get into before you go into the premiere, what can audiences expect?
Speaker 7: I think that audiences can expect just a great overall entertaining movie.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dwayne.
Speaker 8: Oh Man.
Speaker 3: I hope people realize that that's what we're here to do. It's press little buttons and giggle until the only people who are left are people who actually support us, something like us. Huh okay, did you plan obviously, you plan to isolate that sound of the intro of the pay per view with the voiceover guy w that guy rules anyway, Who the fuck that guy is? I need to get him on cameo. But did you plan on doing those little dil you called that in the fly?
Speaker 2: Those are perfect because it's like, I don't know why, I just the no doubt needed to happen. And then all of a sudden I was like, well, wait a minute, there's more he wait flare and Hogan bites fucking went off. Oh Cogan here.
Speaker 3: It sounded organic, it did. It didn't sound like over the top. It didn't sound like it was added afterwards.
Speaker 2: I know. It's why it hurts so bad. It's patch of the beach, bitch.
Speaker 9: Right Sunday, August thirty, a lapsed fan takes on Times Square tickets at Comedy Village dot com.
Speaker 2: There goes the neighborhood.
Speaker 9: You fucking bitch, You fucking bitch.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I mean I can, so we go to Land of Florida. Wow, brings us in the Match of the Century. I'm very much into Match of the Century. I'm very much into the intro.
Speaker 2: I like it. I do too, I do too. Listen they the it's it's weird because like I said before, it's it doesn't feel like an epic show, but it's certainly an epic match. Yes, you know, I kind of in my mind I want to have the epic match be the culmination of an epic show. But you know, we get what we get here. Yeah. I can imagine that Hogan didn't want an epic show in case he was afraid of being shown up.
Speaker 3: So brother, Yeah, now all right, well brother, you know, I'm really happy there was less friction than I expected and getting to the fizz inish on this whole d bay zoo. Brother, I'm glad that we got this all on paper and everyone's on the same page. Now begins the real work. Brother, How we book in the rest of the card? Yeah, Terry, I didn't really think that that had anything to do with you necessarily. We were glad to take care of that on our own.
Speaker 2: Well I'll do. I'm saying, what makes you think it doesn't have anything to do with me, dude?
Speaker 3: And how am I to interpret this, brother, in terms of what are you afraid of bringing to old Hoogan?
Speaker 2: I mean, brother, did you know I have you know, creative control?
Speaker 10: Dude?
Speaker 2: That just doesn't mean brother? On like you know my booking, dude, but it also means, you know, dude, I need to know how things are being booked.
Speaker 3: Well, we spent all this time talking about subpairer that paragraph eleven, section E. What people don't know is in the initial contract there was a final clause twenty nine and it read, mister Bill, I'm just making this up. Okay, mister boleya shout decide who wins every match in WCW Perry Good.
Speaker 2: That's that's the thing about. Here's the thing, dude. See, I don't actually have creative control. Mister Blaya has creative control, dude, So we have to kind of talk to him and see exacly what's going on. Brother, kind of what that is is, dude. So maybe if you want to kind of give you mister Blay a call, brother, we can kind of settle this thing up, dude.
Speaker 3: But we're a little too close to shit Chizo time right now. Brother, I'm already in full gear. I'm hold hill. Mister Bulay is unavailable, dude. If you want to get to mister Bolla, the one PM in the afternoon of the show is the cutoff time in the trap.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you something to do. I'll tell you what. See. What people don't know, brother, is that when it comes to mister Blaya, dude actually have power of attorney over mister Blaya on certain occasions. The power of the power of attorney. I have the hour of Hulk Amenia Attorney. Just imagine that people just like just like staring at him, like these people who have never.
Speaker 3: Worked with him before, and they're all asking themselves, this is the biggest guy in wrestling. Is this how it actually is in New York?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, do we have Is he being serious or is he just kind of fucking around like Hulk Amenia Attorney? Brother, I heard you, dud. You know who I didn't hurry you brother?
Speaker 3: You know why I picture being one of those people in the meeting right who Have you ever seen the credits Dan Biningham before?
Speaker 2: Yes, I've seen the credit.
Speaker 3: Sort of like a production supervisor kind of typeus W and he, you know, played a big role in producing a lot of things here. He spoke several years ago to Conrad Thompson on his Insiders series on his ad Free Shows platform, And I think Dan is the exact kind of guy I'm talking about where WCW was like fully staffed up with people who thought they knew how to do pro wrestling until Hulk comes into the company.
Speaker 11: Talk to me a little bit about nineteen ninety five, I like WCW starts to change a little bit. In ninety four, Whole Cogan comes in. They have their most successful pay per view of all time with Rick Flair and hul Cogan at Bashed at the Beach. But in ninety five you're leaving WCW.
Speaker 12: What happened, Well, Terry Bolayon is what happened.
Speaker 13: Oh, when he came in, he and I did not hit it off, let's say. And to me, he's a narciss's personality to disordered sociopath and a terrible person to have to be around. He's a shoot heel as far as I'm concerned, and he made me not want to be in wrestling anymore.
Speaker 12: Didn't get along.
Speaker 13: With Terry, and I really really really didn't get along with Terry.
Speaker 12: So, wow, my experience was very bad.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you guys get along? What was this? Is all news to me?
Speaker 11: So forgive me for being off.
Speaker 13: I know, and I probably shouldn't have cafe this Now that I'm on your show telling their story.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna have all tail on the least on me.
Speaker 11: No, I don't know about that. And by the way, we can edit out whatever you don't want to air.
Speaker 13: But I know I said it, I stand by it. But he just came in. I mean, my first interaction with him, we were shooting promos at center stage, and it was a two camera shoot and I had a wide shot.
Speaker 3: It was him and I.
Speaker 13: Think Jimmy Hart was his manager, and Jim Ross was probably an interviewing him, and so I had the three shot of them and they jim goes to Jimmy to do his promo, and I cut to a shot at Jimmy and then all of a sudden, somebody screaming cut, cut, cut, and then Hawk into the camera.
Speaker 12: He said, you had never take the camera off the Hulkster and you're never too close to see the pythons.
Speaker 13: So after that, I used a one camera shoot, and you know, uh, and that was and that just that's how it was. And so it was not a it was not a cordial working relationship, and uh, it was.
Speaker 2: His way or the highway.
Speaker 13: And really what happened was he was tired of being the babyface. Uh And he wanted to be a heel, but he didn't want babyfaces to get over on him, so everybody else had to be baby had to be heels, So it.
Speaker 12: Became just a heel fast.
Speaker 13: And if you do not have the dramatic arc of the babyface and the heel, the heel cheating to beat the baby face over and over again until it's really important and the baby face still didn't cheat, and a will to overcome the heel, then that's the morality play. And if you don't have a morality play, to me, you don't have anything in the sport, because you've got to tell the sport. The story is everything. The story is what gives the sport its power. So I didn't think the story was uh was worth it? So uh and and I'd had enough, so I moved on.
Speaker 3: He also said that there was a meeting where they were discussing when Hogan would close line Sherry and Dan bid them, who admittedly couldn't keep his mouth shut, pipes up and says, was he turning heel attacking a woman? I don't know, he's turning heel and everyone looks at him and blows him off, and then Eric calls him into his office afterwards, and, accord to Dan, Biden says, this is Dan, you leave your morals at the door.
Speaker 2: Yes here, it doesn't sip. What do you think this is? What do you think this fucking is?
Speaker 3: We're signing up the hulkster pal onwards and upwards.
Speaker 2: He's a son of a band.
Speaker 3: Yes, Nashville's finest Hogan just tossing people off payroll by hooker, by crook. They're fucking jumping off the boat.
Speaker 2: I thought that was just so.
Speaker 3: Great that some guys who could give a fuck about who thinks he is exactly tremendous. He went on to work for the PGA Tour in television production.
Speaker 2: To Dan by good, look look at him, legitimate good for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And he also hit Eric with that in his interview. He's like Eric had said, PG is never going to hire you, you know, because you're wrestling.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love I love how Eric is like, you know, here here is the uh, the executive producer or executive VP of the fucking of w c W. And he's telling somebody else that you're not going to find another job because you worked in wrestling.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't remember saying that I don't call I don't call it sound like some one thing I would say, but even if I said.
Speaker 2: It, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But you know, we always hear about people in the business belly aching about how no one in polite society or in broader entertainment and advertising take wrestling seriously, and how they kind of, you know, consider any experience in the wrestling business something to be almost ashamed of, to hide from your resume like a scarlet letter of sorts in the entertainment business. And I'm thinking, yeah, you know who says who says that the most to a wrestler, fellow wrestlers and their buying exactly right, those are the ones who want wrestlers to think exactly that no one takes them seriously.
Speaker 2: Ah. That amazing. Yep.
Speaker 3: So they're showing images in the crowd here of Hulk Hogan signs and shirts, and they're showing a Hogan posing and they're showing the ticker tape parade with the w W number one sign, and I'm just it immediately hit me when the show open manned a, Vince served this one up to them by not doing this.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 2: Yep, they absolutely did. I mean this could have been They.
Speaker 3: Would have so much less if he had done it just once on pay per view.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, just one time. It's all he had to do one time.
Speaker 3: They still would have done it, WCW it just it wouldn't have had this much pomp and circumstance to it.
Speaker 2: No, because you know again, yeah, they would have done it because Hogan. Because it would have been done only once on pay per view. Yeah, you know, like would they would not have been done again. And if he'd just done it, you know, it would have been been so much better. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ww re match would have been good as far as like compared to what else they could offer the general public, but it would not have had this kind of pop and sizzle to it. So they have Hulk ripping his shirt in Flair's face, people going on, so we shoot the Orlando Arena and Boss. It's definitely as we kind of forecast it in the beginning parts of this batch of the Beach nineteen ninety four coverage significant that this is taking place in Orlando, and it's always it's always played up, as you know, at least in the book accounts of how Hogan and w stub became together. From Flair to Hogan himself, Terry Bischoff that it was just sort of like this, this happy accident, that they were both crossing each other's paths on the set of Thunder and Paradise in the worldwide tapings. But in fact Orlando is very much plugged into this whole line. Orlando brought them together in a way as well. This is from The Orlando Sentinel, April seventh, nineteen ninety four. It's about to happen. Hogan's comments designed to Okay, wait a minute, picture this as the lead pro wrestler, Hulk Hogan muscles bulging peers into the camera and says Orlando is safe and fun for tourists.
Speaker 2: Mmmm, It's about to happen.
Speaker 3: Hogan's comments designed to ease fears about tourism crime. Tourist crime rather are now do they mean crime committed by tourists or do they mean crime committed against tourists?
Speaker 2: Are maybe a little bit of both.
Speaker 3: Are the basis of a deel nearly struck between Orlando and Orange County and producers of the indepenit TV series Thunder and Paradise, which stars Hogan. In return for Hogan's assurances, plus filming the show in Central Florida. Orlando and Orange officials have a greed and principle to give the producers two hundred and ten thousand dollars in cash and in kind services. Big fucking combs up for the deal making. Burke Schwartz Pone and Productions, Inc. Of Los Angeles Has sold twenty one hour episodes of Thunder and Paradise to stations covering ninety percent of the nation. It intends to spend the public money on filming costs, said co producer Kevin Beggs, and definitely not to go right straight into their pockets. Government representatives such as Orlando mayor Glenda Hood praise the agreement is a great advertising and economic development package. If it's successful, it would be a wonderful marketing opportunity, had said with a big thumbs up. Orlando County Commissioner Bob Freeman, whose district includes the Attractions and International Drive Tourist Corridor where likes the financial spin offs promised by Begs and his associates. They say the show will inject at least eight million dollars, among other things, directly into Central Florida's economy roller, ranging from payroll for lighting grips and drivers, to renting apartments for actors, to purchasing supplies, lumber catering. Where do you get your paper clips?
Speaker 2: Eckered? That kind of thing?
Speaker 3: Bigs you know we're bringing we're bringing this production of Florida. We got We looked around and ask ourselves, where were we going to get our paper clips?
Speaker 2: You know this probably we came down here. We didn't you know, we didn't know. We have to find places to get all of our tools and things. So we thought we want local vendors.
Speaker 3: We don't want to be traveling all over the place to get our paper clay apps. Where we where are we going to get a paper clips in our landow?
Speaker 2: Fuck Eckert. I got somebody right over here.
Speaker 3: They can take care of that for As a matter of fact, for two hundred and eight ten thousand dollars, his company, he said, has hired eighty percent of its one hundred and thirty person production crew from Central Florida. The jobs, he said, frequently pay at least twenty dollars an hour. The company also has pledged to buy ninety percent of its supplies from Central Florida.
Speaker 2: Vendors.
Speaker 3: They have been filming episodes at a cost of one hundred thousand dollars a day since January all over central Florida. The pilot, however, was done last year on Florida's West coast, at least partly because Hogan lives in clear Water. The Tampa Saint Peter exactly what I gotta Why is that going to be in there?
Speaker 2: Dude? Brother address to do? Yeah, what do you want? My drug? My drug mule lives brother.
Speaker 3: You wet that exact address too, I get, I would guess a Tampa Saint Bulgaria then tried to land the show full time. That's when Orlando and Orange County started negotiations brought it on, but the Economic Development Commissioner of Mid Florida taxpayer dollars in the presence of Studios Universal and Walt Disney World brought Thunder and Paradise to Orlando. Begs said they Central Florida are very film friendly. He said one of the keys to Ardlando in Orange County was getting Hogan to speak highly of the city beautiful, which, like the rest of the state, has been hurt by headlines detailing cribs against tourists anything we can do to improve our image. I'm ready for Freeman said. The show, set in Florida, but not in any particular city, likely will featured episode where Hogan and a youngster decide to visit Disney World in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Begs, Oh my god, that's one such a fucking Hogan thing, Ah, isn't it?
Speaker 3: So the vomit here's watching this series and all of a sudden, it's just for no reason, they go to Disney World. You know, it's like forced in the middle. That's when Hogan will mention the ara. That's when Hogan will mention the area is safe. Hulk Hogan's testimonies are for sale, ladies and gentlemen. His representations are for sale. If you want something to be true, if you pay Hulk Hogan, he will say it is true. And I think that tells us so much. Disney's renting studio space to Begg's company. Promoting Central Florida through a television show is not uncommon. More and more products are making their way into movies and TV as a way to advertise, and just as Miami Vice and The Big Easy in New Orleans gave nationwide audiences a glamorous vision of those places Orlando officials help Hogan show will make central Florida look good to the nation. Hogan also will make one public appearance, the type of dates and determined on behalf of the city in county. With those inducements, the Orlando City Council has agreed to pay fifty thousand dollars cash, then give up to thirty thousand dollars worth of services, which include free use of city land and an airboat. The County Commission has tentatively approved paying one hundred thousand dollars. This is just six figure, five figure, all these little bits of money. Paying a hundred thousand cash and offering up to thirty thousand worth of nkind services such as use of Sheriff's office helicopters. Commissioners may vote on the pros and next week. With Freemen predicting passage, we're trying to generate on a local level, some energy, some excitement, whatever, to get some television production here, he said. Fans of Under the Cinemat know how that goes?
Speaker 2: Man, Oh, you're damn right. It's like that's dangerous.
Speaker 3: But why is it dangerous telling people what you've learned all these years cinematic well.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: It, big thumbs up to increasing the palms of locals.
Speaker 2: If if, if, because I'll tell you what number one. Whatever you think is gonna happen, it ain't gonna happen as far as like, okay, creating energy in the city, creating energy in the city, creating you know, you know, making it seem like everything's gonna run smoothly. No no, no, no, no, it's not gonna run smoothly. And even if it does, the beginning, now this is this is the truth. Here does the beginning You're gonna wear out your welcome so fucking fast, so fucking fast, because as soon as the traffic starts building up, there's trouble, so.
Speaker 3: Does there's one inconvenience, too much noise Exactly as soon as someone who's connected in the city can't get access to the set to take pictures.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter how much you've paid off the people whose businesses you are a fan, they always could have earned more, right, It's always a pity. You know, how am I supposed to know that I wasn't gonna get even you know, a big flooded you know, all week long? Who knows I could have gotten. I could have gotten three million people coming in my little bit shop here that.
Speaker 3: I got a bitch shop instead of Hogan's beach shop.
Speaker 2: So give the bit shop.
Speaker 3: I know how much we're getting, mister Maya, but how much are we giving. Put a price on that and make sure it's higher than what we're getting.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you, if we're being completely honest, you we better be getting more than a given.
Speaker 3: So these must be snowbirds here and run these businesses.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, my brother's a Boston coffee here. You go, all right, and I'll tell you this, all right, they have plenty of plenty of things going on up there, right. They always get more money, and I'm gonna tell you right now, I'm gonna get more money.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question. Do any of these film sets need details? Because my brother can come down here, no problem, absolutely, I'll tell you he'll take a leave. I brought my cousin, Yeah, my second cousin and my half sister. They're all Boston colls, and they can take a leave. And they can stand here and look at a hole and make six figures to do it.
Speaker 2: Listen, they look great when they put their arm in the arm when they fold their arms, they look absolutely fantastic. You believe, you.
Speaker 3: Believe they're working, You believe that, believe theyre worth six figures, all right, So fucking you want me to be happy with this production? Make me happy with this production. Such good stuff and under the cinemat you know jaws, I mean, fuck yes, you don't get it by now. I don't know what to tell you. Also on Patreon, fucking the live calls of all in that we decided to do with Mama Sorrow will go down in history.
Speaker 2: I don't care what.
Speaker 3: Anyone says things she says when when Adam Page attacks with the fork and many other things had happened. The fact that she thought ocado was Polish.
Speaker 2: To me, that's just that's the That's the fucking icing on the cake right there. That is the cake, the ice, and the fucking cherry. Is the fact that she thought that Okada must be Polish, and even to the point where she saw him and was convinced that he was. She wasn't coming off that at all. Because she heard kazuchika, she thought it was kazuko or like some kind of right with the cz in it, you know, right, and we went we did not We did not let her down easy. No, it's it's it's you will never hear anything like that like this, as far as like audio of people watching wrestling, it's it's it's on a whole other level. Not a shame for a second to come a la carte with the pricing on this one. If we're going to experiment with pay to play, this was it and it's available now Patreon dot com. Slash the lamps absolutely so to the Areta b WW logo with the arm bicep pose and the wave which I love in the graphic. They did a great job with this. Yeah, I like that one a lot. I don't remember how long do they keep that long? For ninety five right the ninety six it was gone, I think.
Speaker 3: And ninety six when they started doing like that shark underneath the black and orange bash at the Beach on the coast with the right, Yeah, like the shimmering water. I always thought Bashed the Beach did a terrific job of making you feel like summer, which wc wwf al the summer slam didn't make you feel it.
Speaker 2: It's hot, it's heat.
Speaker 3: They they WCW really made you feel the seasonal stuff because well exactly, well they they also it was theme. It was the theme of it all. Like to think about it, they had they had all seasons for like a winter show, because they had Spring Stampede, they had Bash of the Beach, they had Halloween Havoc, Fall Brawl, you know, fall Brawl exactly, like they put it right.
Speaker 2: In the name. They didn't funk around exactly. And also the thing about Summer Slam, and while it does definitely evoke summer, it's the end of the summer. Yes, it's always like, Okay, Summer's coming to an end, so we're gonna get Summer Slam. Whereas Basch of the Beach happened in June, you know, and most of the time happened in June, I believe, right, it didn't Yeah yeah, July July, Yeah did happened July two even so like June and July, that's like that's like prime summer it right, And that's the thing you made it a great point that I ever think about when I think of Summer Slam, I think, oh my god, I got to go back to school soon. This sucks, you know, Like Summer Slam means it's over. No matter how many times they've done Summer Slam, which is several times on the first weekend in August, still you feel that way about Summer Slam. The fact that, I mean, I don't want them to change the month, but the fact that it happens in August. August as a month, right, you know, that's it. That's when it's ever.
Speaker 3: When they did it on July thirtieth in Nashville, were you happy then?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I was miserable, exactly. Fucking Keep it in August. Just because that's the downside doesn't mean you switch it up.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, you know, you look forward to the fact that because it's one of those weird things where it's like, oh, I can't wait for Summer Slam, but I also don't want summer to end, but I also can't wait for Summer Slam. Yeah, you know, like that's the fact. You go back and forth with that all the time. That used to happen all the time, especially when Summer Slam would happen like the I forget the if it was ninety three or ninety four, that was the last Summer Slam happen on a Monday. Yeah, because Summerson was also a Monday thing, which is so fucking weird, so weird to think that's so fine when you were a school age it's totally except that it often happened the day before, Like it would happened the Monday, and I'd have school on Tuesday's serious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh that's no. I never had that problem.
Speaker 2: That's awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah I had that problem like like two times. I always forget problem. So many parts of the country and even other states went to school before the end of August. It was always after September to everyone I knew.
Speaker 2: But yeah, really, yeah, no, we always started. Yeah, we started usually the last week and like the weekend. We started the week before Labor Day.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a joke. At least let people have August. The fuck's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Nope? August Nope, nope.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things I meant about wrestling. For all the war memories I have, I never also forgot the pit in my stomach when I realized how close to bedtime, like, there was nothing I could do after the show was over, I had to go straight to bed, and that that sucks, You know, that does suck.
Speaker 2: So all I want to do is go straight to right during the show exactly. Again, I'm.
Speaker 3: So don't don't come fucking around and acting like we're not as advertised when we say on the live calls on patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan that we watch modern WWE, so you don't have to because we fucking you can hear it in our voice.
Speaker 2: Evolution live call. Is there for you.
Speaker 3: The Saturday nights Man event with Goldberg's retirement is there for you.
Speaker 2: I love, by the way, I do love that he's pissed.
Speaker 3: Oh altimately, Oh my god, bless this guy for having the balls to be cranky about WWE publicly.
Speaker 2: It is. It is just so goddamn funny what we need. I mean that he can't. He just cannot get over the fact like that something you know is he's such a little bit exactly, and that's what we know. More like, I'm like, I'm thinking myself, what do you what do you expect to happen? Like he says like he he didn't like and not only did he not like the fact that he was cut off, which I mean, dude, who cares, Honestly, it's it's right, like what the fuck? But also the fact that his match didn't go as well as he had hoped, Like, what did he fucking expect? Does he not know that? He is just like completely just not it's not appropriate for him to be in the ring.
Speaker 3: And Guntherar did a fucking marvelous job exactly.
Speaker 14: Fan Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan. He's an lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 3: Now for him, it's all like for him, it's all He's one of those guys that isn't happy unless he feels like he forced WW to do something they didn't want to do on a power play. Hogan's that way too, like they don't feel like they actually won unless they got a concession. I mean, he's getting huge money, but to him, like I bet he's got a chip on his shoulder about being a WCW guy and all the bullshit with Triple H and Triple H making the calls probably somewhere sunk in the back of his mind. So he's going to interpret these little things that they would go out of their way to make special for a Rick Flair or an Undertaker that they deprived him of, including much in the way of like notice. According to him, they started talking in November about the final match, and all of a sudden it comes together and fucking warp speed. After they shoot the Bad Blood angle, it comes together in warp speed because you know, frankly, and he wouldn't say this, but frankly, they just needed to fuck with aw and this was something they had that they could deploy on this particular night and get Atlanta put together. But yeah, I mean that's Wwewwe is a place that first and foremost makes sure that after they're done with you, you look like a bitch for complaining. Like, yes, they get it to Phil, They'll do it to anybody who thinks that they can match wits in the court of public opinion. After they're out. You cannot because everybody, everybody basically thinks you are what we just talked about, less than a real star, less than a real celebrity, right, And you have absolutely no say in how you ought to be treated, and you ought to be absolutely grateful for whatever they decide is an appropriate framing and treatment of what you're gonna do next. There is no negotiation here. There is only appreciation or you know, what a bitch and it's it's it's been marvelous to watch that it happen again, because so few guys, especially the newer crop, are able to come out and say they'll they'll send pass aggressive tweets and stuff, and even then the hordes descend. But Goldberg's a guy who you know, has gotten a lot of money over the course of his life by being publicly cranky about things. It's worked for him, doesn't work for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yes, because his.
Speaker 3: Phone will ring, not everybody's phone will ring after they talk shit, you know, tremendous. I hope everybody when they leave that company talks big shit about everything, because that's the only way we get the truth of these people.
Speaker 2: He's such a he just is so like I just love I mean, because the bottom line is it wouldn't matter. That's the thing that I love is that it wouldn't matter. It could have been the greatest fucking it could have main invaded SummerSlam. He would have fucking found something about it. I love it.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what we all, That's why we were all excited. Is Hee punk back, you know, because here he's he's in again, and he's gonna call he's gonna stir the shit up, you know. But he made a bet of WrestleMania, so he's all good, Yeah, okay, right, pathetic. He'll he'll come around, He'll find that he uh come next WrestleMania. He'll be He'll be out there telling media like, oh yeah, they tell me that that was a real WrestleMania. And I argued for that, and I convinced myself of that. But I'm staring down the barrel of forty four or whatever, and I'm starting to think that that that really wasn't what it was made up to.
Speaker 2: It chucked up to me, Well, now you know what, Now he's going to win the main event of WrestleMania. Of course, what he wants is to win the Royal Rumble and win the real Belt from like a Cody at WrestleMania in the last match of the night. That's all he means. That's all he was deprived of. I mean, there's no difference between what he did last year on Night one and what he did with Undertaker in New Jersey. It was just if it was a two night or that would have been the Night one main event as well, in fact, the Undertaker match was much bigger, I think than the rains roll on Triple Threat. Yeah, break he knows that.
Speaker 3: And the fact that he won't say it is it's kind of like, okay, well we lost Phil, you know, we lost what was so much fun about film?
Speaker 2: Yep, Yep. Listen, he's a company man now, folks, All right, listen, listen, just keep waiting. Here's the because because you know, here's the beauty of it. Okay, because because in this position, Triple H is not afraid to lick an asshole. Okay, he is fine getting his tongue way up there to clean out that fucking brown star. Okay, because yes, I get carried away most of them. Most of them got a w and frustration hurts to No, I'm kidding, but like certain people, I'll say, because because now he really can't talk shit about him, right, he really can't complain too, Because exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: As soon as you think you stand on principle in this business, they will rest. They will stop at nothing until they've managed to get you to compromise those principles. They will throw the amount of money at you.
Speaker 2: Yep. In a way, Paul is even more ruthless in this position with the way he's doing business because he's sneaky motherfucker. Let's fucking go, all right, he is a sneaky motherfucker, and he's now going to sneezing to you. He's going to own you by making you think you're the shit.
Speaker 3: He's sneaky enough to achieve the same ends, but on the front end, making you think they're doing business in an entirely different way. And when you when you take the final assessment, you're like, wait a minute, that's that's probably even worse than what would have happened.
Speaker 2: If Vince was there. Nag exactly.
Speaker 3: So the Pyro fires off here in Orlando, and Tony says, it's the one night the entire world, the fans of professional wrestling have been waiting for, the one day we've been talking about for so long.
Speaker 2: You get part of that, right. I don't know about the whole world, but the fans of professional wrestling have been waiting for this yet.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's absolutely Sunday, July seventeenth. It's Orlando Arena, It's Bash at the Beach, Rick Flair, Holkogan Finally, Deny, Tony's in his talks. Bobby's in his red jacket. Gene Okerlinn is at ringside as well. To kick things off. They've got the Purple clown knows on their microphones and Jane says it's something that finally has come to fruition. And in Orlando they are hanging from the rafters. So glad Gene is there to say those things.
Speaker 2: It is nice to have Jean there, you know, kind of. I mean, it's it's weird. It's weird that Jean's there. It's not his position ever, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's always in the aisle, wait to get pitched tight exactly and ready to fucking you know, Hawk is fucking.
Speaker 2: Hotline, you know.
Speaker 3: But of Spring ninety four ws WTV is an indication. It's his intrepid reporting on the ground in Orlando that led to Hulkegan coming here in the first place. Of course he doesn't. He'd make sure to be there with bells on. And he looks to he and he goes Bobby, heena, no, you're not happy, and he says, I'm gonna be happy when Rick Flair gets his hand raised in victory and Hulkegan leaves Orlando with his hands and knees on his hands and knees and all the humanoids are going to be saying loser, loser, loser. So Heenan absolutely understands this role here, absolutely just picks up where he left off.
Speaker 2: Something something that's always so when whenever w CW would cut to the arena, you know, or have a wide shot of the inside of the arena, now, it always looked like there was something about the lights that made it so w CW. And I don't know why I think.
Speaker 3: They I don't think they arrange their lights differently on the rig. I think the lights I feel like in ww were visible on the hardcam you could see the actual rigging, whereas WWF put their camera below the lights. Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 2: But well maybe maybe that could be it. That could be it. But I also don't know. I wonder if because like I always remember, they're like the you can always remember the colors of the lights, and well.
Speaker 3: They colored their w's WWF to't even color their lights really.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe that's what it is. Then, That's what I noticed, is the coloring of the lights, like because they they always had colors and it was always like it just it that always meant w CW. It's fascinating. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Probably probably was that they put the gels up there. I mean WWF color their lights, like if you had like the owen Hart entrance with the projection on the mat or on the on the carpet.
Speaker 2: Right, but not just right, not just to open the show. They didn't have light right lights that because it didn't look like the arena was any color per se. But they did have That's that's it. They did have like they had gels in the lights that made it streaking out, made the light cud. Yeah, the lights looked different, you know, it was always crazy.
Speaker 3: And they're you know their entrance ways too. I mean that was just w You knew your WCW when you saw the beach set or the cemetery, you know, it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this.
Speaker 3: They had no respect for that, but that was also so core to the ww memory, Like people like don't even realize that that little extra like spark of creativity on the on the on the sets made such a difference and and made people remember w W so much more fondly than they would if it wasn't like that.
Speaker 2: Well, and just to be the fact that they that they weren't afraid to celebrate, you know, kind of the seasonal yeah thing.
Speaker 3: You know, life is about seasons, folks. I mean, I hate to tell you, I don't know how much, how many more times we got to prove this, but it's about is it the is it seasonally appropriate? Does it feel right to see this now? Because yes, we can see this at any time. Why now is one of the most important questions in this life.
Speaker 2: Why now? Yep?
Speaker 3: And that those little kind of details answer that question. Why not next month? Well, next month it's not going to be summer, is it, Or it's not going to be peak.
Speaker 2: So Jean's there.
Speaker 3: That would be a cold day somewhere, he says about Flair beating Hogan, not an Orlando pal Right, no cold days there at all. Tony says, Shack is here to hand the championship to the winner, and that gets a big pop. They're in Orlando. He had just signed to the Magic and as we talked about in part one, was an absolutely cross cultural sensation, not just in basketball but picking up. He was huge remembered blue chips. I do, I do? I saw it in theaters?
Speaker 2: Is wow?
Speaker 3: I didn't see it in theaters yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw it. I fell asleep. This first movie ever fell through? Is that good? I do want to Actually, I always wanted to revisit. I've never actually gone back because I think.
Speaker 3: This qualifies it. Honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I think Shack actually qualifies a bit because he's a It's not like he's not. You know, he's made several appearances.
Speaker 3: In This appearance is directly coincident with the theatrical release of Blue Chips. The this stuby step here so his first one.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm all about that.
Speaker 2: Nick Nolty and uh, you know, you know who directed it.
Speaker 3: I don't know who directed it.
Speaker 2: William Friedkin is that right? Director of The Exorcist directed Blue Chips.
Speaker 3: I would have never guessed that a million.
Speaker 2: How does that fucking feel? Jesus take some time that I know exactly.
Speaker 3: I'll soo say, Tony does it? Mister T will be an Holster's corner, because why not. I mean, if if we're going whole hog trying to bring back the the old feeling as well, bring mister T.
Speaker 2: But he does not.
Speaker 3: He does not look like he's supposed to look.
Speaker 2: And hey would bring he does not that bringing uh Muhammad Ali by Halloween havoc too. So you're right about but let's just fucking keep it on going with the Man in.
Speaker 3: The South, Jimmy Harris and Sacial sharing a Flair's corner and with us from Giant Records, Darren Norwood singing the national anthem and he does.
Speaker 2: That, Oh my god, oh here I got that because I think it is just awful in.
Speaker 3: His evil can eevil shirt.
Speaker 2: I know he's it's just bad.
Speaker 6: Who say damn see by the dolls?
Speaker 15: It starts off, Okay, what's so proud?
Speaker 2: He's fucking off the reservation? What are you doing? Last?
Speaker 5: Who's broad stripes.
Speaker 16: And bright stars through the page?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 17: The rampart sweet, we're so Ganlands d Street.
Speaker 1: And the rocket Swamly.
Speaker 2: He's gonna he's gonna bring him bursting in it. He knows he lost her.
Speaker 5: Gay food through the light that I Wolf Steve.
Speaker 1: Wolf saved? Does that star spainle Bader?
Speaker 5: Yeah, where.
Speaker 2: Hold the note to get that che.
Speaker 5: Land of the Free.
Speaker 1: And the Home of the Bread.
Speaker 2: There you go. I just I'll tell you like I'm not I'm not here trying to say that, like you know, he defaced America by doing that, because it's you know, it's it's a fucking song. I know it's the national anthem, but it's still a fucking song. I what I can't stand is is this attempt to show off.
Speaker 3: Oh God, doing it the national anthem is always ground zero for that kind of shit.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like, if you like, just stop, okay, just sing it, do something if you want at the end, at the end, not during the whole melody, do it, you know like he did the rockets. Great, that's fine. That's when you kind of can do a little something there because you are singing pretty high. It's got, it's got, you know. The whole song is like crazy with octaves. It goes all the way over, you know, all over the place. But no, no, no, no, like, dude, don't don't fucking start playing with the melody. Just hit the spots that people hit the spots like do uh you know what's her but their living Garcia When she does the high note at the end, great, I love that. I think that's great. It's a very unique thing that is her. This clown just what a fucking idiot. Just sing the fucking song and let's get it over with Okay, people.
Speaker 3: Don't know how to do that. Man, No, they don't put their flavor on it.
Speaker 2: He's he's a he's a he's a country music artist or whatever the fuck, and so he's gotta yes, rest in peace. But man, what a what a piece of shit?
Speaker 3: Tony thanks him for that, and we go back to ringside. First matchup for the television title. They mentioned Stain was injured on a live interactive telecast Saturday night.
Speaker 2: Did we talk Did we talk about the dark match? I don't know if we said, oh no, please dark match, but yeah, they well, they talked about it briefly, the Molly McShane. They talked, you're talking about this one, this sassy boys. But they don't talk about the Armstrongs defeating Steve Kern and Bobby Eaton.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, but that's not breaking news coming across the transom. As far as I know, that did not air. I mean, I think the only thing that we consider a pre show was the main event show on TBS earlier that Sunday. But they didn't do like one of those live from the arena thirty minute countdowns for this, which is crazy because it's fucking a whole cod and like you would think TBS would well, especially because Turner Home Entertainment's getting paid in the back end. Just give them a half hour right before the pay per view on TBS, you fucking move units like crazy, But uh, they didn't for Hulk Cogan's debut. I mean, fucking all the executives are there. It's it's a no brainer to me. That was always so crazy to me, Like as important as WWF was to USA and as important as WWSTBSTNT, that the pay per views didn't get like pre shows on those channels, because that's so goddamn effective. I know Sunday and the Heat became that, which is great, but that was I think more happenstance than anything because that happened to be a timeslot USA and wanted to fill Sunday nights in that position. But man, I would just I would. That was if I was running things in those companies. That's I'd fight hardest for that, honestly, because that's revenue. Like if you could put thirty minutes on the biggest cable networks in this country, live from the arena, soaking up that energy, hitting hard the matches, big interviews, maybe an angle. God, you would sell so many more pay per views, but it's you know, probably a lot to ask these huge cable networks to set aside that time once a month. But that's where it's at, that's where the action is. That's why UFC pay per views, the prelims are so important on ESPN and before that spike that's the ticket, man, that's how you do it, how you hook people in. They're like, I'm not gonna watch this, I'll watch I'll watch the free prelims. I'll watch this free thing, and they fifty percent of the time they buy it. I swear to God, of course. So they go back to ringside first match for the TV title. They mentioned again Sting had been injured on the live w CB Center Night telecast in the hands of Sherry, and so they talk about how he won't be here. They show Hulk sitting a ringside that is to say, the fake Hull, but they play a replay of the Saturday Night, Last weekend telecast and in that that's when Hulk first came to center stage and literally sat in a chair at ringside or a. Rick Flair wrestled Sting and got involved in the end of sting turns Flair over in the figure four and then Sherry comes in, jumps the rail dressed as a fan, they say, and she slugs Randy Anderson and tosses him into Hulk. And where the fuck Doug Gillinger was during all this?
Speaker 2: Listen? Is that in the back eating a don'tnut. Clearly that's what he does best.
Speaker 3: And it's that involvement of that quote unquote fan that brings hult Cogan into a WCW ring in a lot of ways for the first time.
Speaker 2: I guess you know the clash too, but well, yeah, yeah, I'll say the clash he does. Get in there. It's in there.
Speaker 3: They pop with his red pants and does a delate atomic drop to Sherry and they talk about who is this guy? He's about one hundred fifty pounds trying to identify Sherry dressed in drag, and Hulk does the you and she's got a Sherry a ridiculous wig on her.
Speaker 2: I mean it is in the mustache, the whole thing. It's just it is absolutely hilarious. It's one of her best outfits. Honestly becomes of ridiculousness.
Speaker 3: Cherry is top ten. Oh, absolutely male or female as far as making it feel like it's supposed to feel.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, listen. She she knows how to go out there, and she's like Heenan. She's like Heenan in that she knows what she needs to do. She knows what the payoff is, and the payoff is her getting funny enough assaulted. But nobody thinks of it that way because she kind of because you know, I'm not saying I agree with this in real life, but in the world of wrestling, she earns getting an atomic drop. Yes, because she is so vicious and she is so violent, like not to spoil things, but like going up, you know, fast forwarding here when she when when when Flair does the cowardly thing of holding Sherry in front of him, she's fucking like. She's not like Elizabeth was. She's not like scared or nervous.
Speaker 3: She's like, come on, come on, sucker, that's it, come on, sucker, Like that's she's laughing her boyfriend in public. Ye three times, exactly, know what I mean, no problem for doing nothing, for just being alive. She's slapping him amazing, all right. She doesn't give a shit, and you know we can say all we want about how we moved on from that as a fan base and our appreciation for it, But I ask you this question. When it came time to signal that Adam Page was coming into all In with an extra heightened level of intensity, what did he have to do to get that across? He had to take Marina Shaffir's head off with the buckshot Larryet.
Speaker 2: That's what he had to do. And whenever he eat.
Speaker 3: Moxley for the title, what did he have to do to prove he meant business? He had to give her death valley Driver off the apron through a table and it shattered in a million pieces. So, you know, and he's supposed to be the the the the the the keeper of all that is, like you know, politically aligned and wrestling politically you know, calibrated, and uh, he's the one absolutely destroying this woman.
Speaker 2: It is. It is so funny, how you know you just never thought twice Now when somebody hits sharing.
Speaker 3: And and and him doing it again and getting huge pops for it, reminds us why Because when you when you make it forbidden fruit, it doesn't matter if the wrestling fan tells themselves that they are too sophisticated to enjoy that, or they've evolved past that. All you do in wrestling when you say something is off limits is make people want to see it so much more and make it so much more impactful when you do it again. Happened with chair shots to the head, it happened with pile drivers, it happened with violence on women. Anything you think is taboo, it's coming back because when Bush comes to show, these guys show up at the building for a big pay per view and they've got to go somewhere that hasn't been gone in a while to make this one feel different than the rest, and that's where they're going to go, that third rail every single time. So with Hogan getting in the ring, he does you to Elizabeth and Elizabeth Sherry and she starts like peeling the goateee off her face, and the announcers start to uh to put it together, and they say, she's dressed like a man, and I'm looking at those suspenders, I'm thinking she's dressed like irs.
Speaker 2: That's what she's dressed.
Speaker 3: So Hold rips the shirt and lunges after her, and then Rick has to chop lock the leg twice and Heenan's cheering him on to attack the knee. Hul Cogan break his leg, break it on live television.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's fucking it's not even live television.
Speaker 3: He's been waiting for. So it was that night that was the calling one. Yeah, oh is that calling one that they did? But he man, Heenan knew And we say this all the time, abou nWo And we did Batch to the Beach ninety six. We've got to say it every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The arc of Heenan ultimately being right about Hulpe being a bad guy, yes, and I mean not a good guy, but like a piece of shit is like some of the most fucking satisfying stuff I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It is It is, It is because it's it's a it's a lifelong thing. It is all right, it is a lifelong and that's what you know. It's and I've said this before, it's it's kind of a thing that I always really hoped. I thought that Jerry Lawler would have done the same thing in WWE with Brett Hart and the Heart Foundation in ninety seven. Like it bothered me that he liked them because they were heels like to me, he's missed opportunity. Jerry Lawler, Jerly, it was because Jerry Lawler should have hated them, because because he hated Brett Hart so much, because that feud was so legendary for for just you know, for just so much animosity, so much brutal.
Speaker 3: Great question, as Jerry, like, that's true. You're sitting in that chair. You made your entire WWF career off saying Brett's a piece of crap, and now he's shitting like America's.
Speaker 2: Family, making fun of his family, making fun of everything, and it just yeah, and even if you were.
Speaker 3: A heel, people would be behind you standing up for the United States. That would be a plausible reason for you to change your tune as a heal announcer. Yeah, what was there a discussion of that? Was there talk about maybe actually should be pissed that Brett is doing this?
Speaker 2: But no, it just it just felt it was such a I was so let down that he It just felt it felt cheap that he that he sided with Brett Hart.
Speaker 3: And everything we learned about Hogan, you know, as far as like his personal life and what a mess it is and the manipulations and his personal life and all the lawsuits and gamesmanship and pr stunts and all that, Like, it's so compelling to think about Bobby Heenen. It's being right all along, even even when he was speaking through k FA, like I don't care, because you know, it's very clear that Heenan had a great degree of admiration for Hulk Cogan in real life and the things he said in his book and shoot interviews and the such. He understood that Hulk was the reason everybody who was a millionaire in wrestling in the eighties and nineties was a millionaire. But at the same time, what he had to be coming from some place. I don't know if he's channeling his hatred towards some other prima donna he ran intoing wrestling, but he like nailed this guy in the little things he'd point out where it's like it's Ventura esque, Like why aren't we faulting him for doing something that we would fall any heel for doing, such as attacking Sherry.
Speaker 2: You know he would.
Speaker 3: He had a fit about that tremendous stuff. And when he ultimately is vindicated and he's at Bachel of the Beach ninety six, almost he's not celebrating being right. He's sad that he was right.
Speaker 2: Mmm mm hmm.
Speaker 3: He gets very somber after the nWo angle, and he essentially becomes a w CW Homer baby face announcer. Yep, yep, so good. So it's great stuff, it's great and it wasn't even by design, but I don't care. Heenan knew where to go with it. That's my point. He knew where to go with it. He didn't like to your point, just say, ah, you see he pulled the wool over all of you, and I think it's great. No, he said, fuck you, like I'm still the heel announcer, but fuck you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So powerful he was. He was betrayed, you know, and that's what made it so fucking money.
Speaker 3: Mister t hops up on the apron and they're going forward and flare Bales with Sherry. This is still on Saturday Night. Jimmy Harts in there, Hulk has the white belt off, ready to swing it. And that's uh a little bit of an appetizer for what's to come. Johnny be Bad will take the place if Sting, We're told, But then they simply the maybe Sting might be in the corner. We thought he might be in the corner of Johnny be bad, but that won't be the case either. Someone get this story from Sting because he'll know seriously, he'll just say it was an injury, but it was more. There's more here. I'm fascinated. He's got to be pissed that Hulk's getting the treatment he's getting and that Sting was immediately shoved to the side, and that unification match.
Speaker 2: You know, dude, you know I don't listen get your thunder Paradise. Brother, Well you know what do you know, dude? I'll tell you what. Brother, here's the thing, dude, you know what I don't think you you know, dude, I don't you even not show up to the fucking bash of the beach? Brother, What's you know, what's the point?
Speaker 3: What's what's the upside for you and show up?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just I'm just thinking to you, brother, because you know, I'm not worried like I'm like, I'm not worried about me, dude, for the Stinger.
Speaker 3: If all of a sudden he shows up anymore.
Speaker 2: I just I just feel like, if there's if if all these guys, brother, you know, are kind of like, you know, these, I don't I don't want to take anything away from anybody, right, dude, I don't want to take anything way from anybody do. I'm just more thinking about how everybody is. You know, we're here, We're now the W's W family. Brother. You know, we gotta contake this thing on the next level.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: So if we're gonna take this thing in the next level, do we've got to kind of create an idea that everyone's kind of on an equal ourn equal level. Brother. And if you're kind of playing you know, if you're you know, playing opening match the hul Cogan, that doesn't make you on evil level.
Speaker 3: Well, Terry, then the solution is to not put me in the opening match.
Speaker 2: Well, your brother, you know, dude. But here's you know, I don't control I don't I don't control the you know, the booking of the whole show. Dude. You know I have I have some creative control, brother, but I don't have you know, the control over you know, everything.
Speaker 3: You're going to At no point in the process where you asked to decide where my match would.
Speaker 2: Be ill, they said, do you have any suggestions? Brother? I said, well, you know, I don't know what the you know, you can kind of lay it out for me, brother, And they were like, well, you know, do you question here? Well, see, I didn't, but I didn't have any say per se. I like, you know, they asked, you know what what I had me like what my opinion was? Brother? My opinion was, Dude, I think that it all benefit Stint to not be on the show because I don't want to hurt your aura things.
Speaker 3: Just looking down his hands folded in his on his knees, he's like in his gear for some reason, he's.
Speaker 2: All fucking ready to go. Jude. I'm doing this for you because I think you and I got a big match brother, you know down the line.
Speaker 3: But I don't, brother, not for nothing, dude. As bad as it went down between me and New York, I still have open lines serah, communication brother, if you want to talk to them, dude.
Speaker 2: Brother, dude, if you feel like you can get a get him out of the company altogether. This number one basic. You know, I'll tell you what you know. You though things went down, Brother, I still got some pull up there, dude. So if you ever felt like you know, you can't have got a better deal up there, brother, think we've all at some point, brother, as fans, just so what we do? Just brothers sat there and thought, you know what, what would stay in WWF look like exactly, du You know everyone's kind of wondering that, brother, especially you know Brett Hark's stealing your move. Dude, Like you guys gotta have a feud over that. I'll think. Tell you what, brother, let me give a call, Let me get a call in New York. Dude, Hold on, brother, just stay there, brother, dude, you just by coincidence. Brother, I don't know if you know that just this is totally HAPPI stance. Brother. I did talk to the Bishoff and he's totally fine with the terminator your contract.
Speaker 3: He got a buried the lead there, Darry. In fact, we have the papers drawn up right here and he had hands them in a minute envelope.
Speaker 2: If you want to sign your sign right now, I'll get you a job of New York.
Speaker 3: Brother, Well that's one way to deal with the incumbent top baby face.
Speaker 2: I'll put a pen in your hand, brother, and let me take your hand. You know, I'll just sign it for you, brother, like with your hand. Dude. It's all good, brother, dude, you've already got tell you what, du you got guaranteed money? Brother up New York. Dude, you gotta you're gonna main event WrestleMania with Brett Hart. Brother.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna get you out of here, dude, it'd be totally cool. We're just gonna get you out of here. Oh great, thanks Terry, God you make it so easy.
Speaker 14: It's a fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lampsed Fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno and Jpro.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking to you, dude, it's a big stinger brother.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna not show up at the vapor of your brother.
Speaker 2: I mean, so now you got this deal in place, dude, So you're gonna you're gonna not show up, brother? Right? Tell me not gonna show do you hear from me?
Speaker 3: You hold on, You're not gonna show up, brother, right? And then he says, just tell me you're not gonna show up. Desperate, desperate, desperate to at least have something that he can throw in the guy's face if he shows up. Look you easy, I mean the sting man, I know sting Man is hot. Brother, I know he's important, but he told me to my face, dude. And if this is how it's gonna be here, if people are gonna say things all Hubin's and then show up anyway, dude, I'm not quite sure we can keep this going much longer. I think this thing's already off the rails.
Speaker 2: Brother. What's gonna take dude? I'll give you, Brother, I'll tell you, I've got ten thousand dollars in cash right now. What are you offering me this money for it? But to just not show? What would you get for you? What would you be your payday?
Speaker 10: Brother?
Speaker 2: Probably like fifty Honestly, I'm gonna give you one hundred thousand dollars to not show up. Brother, Just do the fuck away.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna give inexplicably Jimmy Hard one hundred fifty thousand and two show up so bad will take his.
Speaker 2: Place to give you night. I'll give you one hundred thousand dollars in cash right now. Probably got a briefcase all lined up, dude, what's gonna take You gonna show up? Brother? You gonna do business? Brother, You're gonna fucking be a bitch.
Speaker 3: Sting accepts the offer at about three thirty pm Eastern Time and goes back to his hotel showtime eight pm on the dot, the hotel phone rings in Sting's room.
Speaker 2: Hello, Bro, they're not showing right, dude. Still there, brother, Still you're in the hotel.
Speaker 10: Dude?
Speaker 2: Why you in the hotel?
Speaker 3: Have this call forwarded?
Speaker 2: Do your brother?
Speaker 3: Do you're Sally? Wait to Kevin Sully? Wait, you're not coming right? I just look, I am not going to not notice that Sting was completely absent.
Speaker 2: From Hulk Cogan's dumbasy W debut show. I'm not gonna notice that, especially since Hogan saved his ass a Clash the champ. Do you think he would guaranteed to be here and he can't even make bad enough? Is isn't it bad enough that fucking that Sting is going from within within a matter of weeks, going from a world title match to fucking TV champion, Like, isn't that enough? Exactly? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Isn't that like enough of a slap in the face probably to get Sting to not want to show up himself. It's got probably three D chess, you know, it's like, all right, we don't want him to be there. But we can't say that. So let's put him in a completely insulting match and have him work himself by not showing up at a frustration, thinking he's sending the US a signal, when in fact he's playing directly into our hands. Brother, when's the last time you went in? And dude, you're I'm not showing a camera? Camera ready? Brother, d you know we're we're an lesando. Dude, how are you not? Tam brother should be tanness from walking outside? What was that say about your dedication?
Speaker 2: Dude? Did you right? And Broler, are you you know you can't cancer? You're dying? Dude? This to me, it looks like you're cancer patient. But I just want I just want to do just like you talking.
Speaker 3: I love how he explains the terms of engagement and standing of just instead of just engaging, he explained he's always setting the table.
Speaker 2: This guy Turkey. Brother, Are you gonna be dead soon? I'm not. I'm not hoping that.
Speaker 3: I mean that literally obviously figured you're gonna be dead soon as far as.
Speaker 2: That's what I know. Dude, are you like? Are you in your way out? Brother? I just oh, this thing has said nothing? You know I don't.
Speaker 3: He's just looking at him, blinking his eyes, not even nodding. Are you coming to the show.
Speaker 2: Dude, But you're not coming on the show, dude. If you have to die, I'm not come on the show. That's fine, brother, but you're not coming the fucking show.
Speaker 3: Come in, brother, Uh halk I understand yet you had something for us to run down for you. Yeah, you know, brother, I needed to keep an extra close eye out for the Sting man because brother, probably but.
Speaker 2: Kind listen, yeah, I know I know what Sting is injured or whatever, brother, but I'm talking right now, dude. I want to make sure you know. I just want to make sure that he is safe, dude, because I've been put himself in harms. Point dude, we all know the guy. I'll we've all been there, dude. Well, we're kind of like, it doesn't matter how injury we are, brother, We d We just want to get out there and get to the show. But I'm very concerned about him, so I want to make sure that he is okay. So I want to make sure we have fifteen people outside his door and that he is not going to show up fifteen people with guns for his protection. For his protection, brother, not for Hulf. But let me tell you if he leaves, we fucking shoot him right right. If he tries to leave his fucking room, brother, you fucking peg him down.
Speaker 3: Half hour to the show, little hello, Hulk, I just want to check with you on something. Sting says he wants to go to the vending machine to get a snack.
Speaker 2: How do you want to handle this? Why is there a reason why give it to us? Is there a reason why we can't have someone bring us back to him?
Speaker 3: He's starting to question if this guy's in cahoots. Yeah, I wasn't born yesterday.
Speaker 2: Dude, Hey, why can't we have fifteen people watching this fucking guy? Why can we have one? Guy? Carr He's working the phones all night.
Speaker 3: Trying to make sure Sting doesn't leave his room. Hilarious. I love it so much. No one's ever considered this and like.
Speaker 10: And uh.
Speaker 3: Oh, he just can't stop thinking.
Speaker 2: About it on his big night listen until he walks out to the arena. That's all that's on his mind. Like, this guy is so fucking stressed out.
Speaker 3: Over this creates a whole new kind of overlay to all that Sting. Holgan tnh stuff where he's like terrified of Stinging being in his office or being in the building when he's not supposed to be. The face where he's got the you know that Hogan face, that famous scene where he's got the paint, the red paint. Oh yeah, that's the look on his face if he had any hint that Sting is actually on his way.
Speaker 2: I'll get yes bathroom in his room, right, brother, I'll get you.
Speaker 3: Back in ninety seven. Brother, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna build for four years. Brother, a big payday, dude. And the crow has to go away. The crow, Brother, the crow just but we gotta build up the right way and the right ways. You're not come on the show's.
Speaker 3: Stingen's got like a Florida ceiling window and his hotel balcony. He's sitting there with his feet kicked up on the bed, just like steaming so mad, and he's flipping the channels aggressively, and he's just like looking towards his door and he's like, I should fucking fucking and then all of a sudden, a window washer descends.
Speaker 2: He's got it.
Speaker 3: He's like loitering on Sting's floor like looking and.
Speaker 2: He's got that fucking that that Hogan can hat that he had, ring ring ring, ring, ring ring.
Speaker 3: I'll see you, dude. Hey, brother, what's up, Terry? Those windows looking a little spotty, brother, Lick Like, don't you fucking think I don't have eyes everywhere?
Speaker 2: Listen, dude, you those winnows may be spotty, brother, but you're not doing any spots, brother, TERRYK Yeah, what's up? Easy?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 3: Can I can I talk to you for secon?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's our brother? No, come on in, Terry before we get it. I just have to figure this out because I got a bit of a crisis in my hands. I'm getting calls from agents. What what's the big deal if Steve shows up. I don't understand why you're so locked in on Steve not being here at.
Speaker 2: All, because I just don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to steal his heat, brother, right. See, this is the thing, dude. See people don't understand brother hopping in this. There's a long time. Now, there's a long time. And what I know, dude, is I see a money mashup down the line with me and Stinger right now, but just not right now, dude. And if we're in the same building brother, on the same big card, Dude, it's just not gonna play, brother, it's gonna take away diminish his heat. Wait a minute, is he coming? Did you wait a minute? You didn call him the fifteen guys that I had fifteen guys? Dude, I gave him one hundred thousand dollars payoffs to not fucking shot.
Speaker 3: Are you asking me this question, brother, because you're trying to get cover for what you've already done, which is he tells Sting to come here.
Speaker 8: Brother?
Speaker 2: Is he here? Did you get staying here? Brother? Did you give him a car? Is he here? Dude? Where's my camera? Brook? Jimmy, dude, give me the give me the fucking fee to the camera.
Speaker 5: Brother.
Speaker 2: The window washer, you have the fucking window washer, dude, do it? Empty bed? Brother?
Speaker 3: He gets quiet, he gets he gets like contemplative. Like that's when Hult kicks over from paranoia to game planning. When that, when that octave goes down like that, that's when you know now he's actually scheming. So Johnny, all that is to say, Johnny b Bad is going to be taking Sting's place here, right, But hold on.
Speaker 2: Heman's got a singer at the end.
Speaker 18: That's pretty great, thought O'Neal in the back shat Kelle, Who cares? I saw him and his shoes off. The guy's five to eleven shoes up. The guy's five eleven, No wonder it used to be better the Bobby. It's very exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: There's wrestling with Bobby Heenan and wrestling without it. You tell me, can you tell me if wrestling without it stands a fucking chance?
Speaker 2: By comparison, wrestling without Bobby Heenan is worthless. It just is.
Speaker 3: Jeane says, until five thirty today, we had the intention of seeing sting a pass at the beach. However, the doctors say the dude was slashed cornea. It's not the right thing to do, yo, brother, Just steamwoer sunglasses, right, dude? So Heenan laughs them. Maybe we should keep an eye out for him.
Speaker 2: Huh, And he slashes cornea? We do that? Dude? Is that illegal? What happens we slash Cornier brother? Great question, like is he sleeping right now? This little fucking slash right now?
Speaker 3: Can on the copizorn brother's cause? Is Kazorny so we can see a nochi in the middle when he didn't move, so that's going to be introduced later. But I'm like, is that antnio? No, Yeah, he's better believe there's a nine hundred line plug listening behind the scenes interviews. Uh, Mike Tenay and a guy named Tom Hunt who I don't remember at all is backstage manning the lines.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 3: The fun that was lair Hogan, maybe even Bill Shaw who knows on.
Speaker 2: The call, anybody doesn't matter who it is.
Speaker 3: Cavanni rings us in it says time to start banging heads, don't you think?
Speaker 2: And Heenan says brother.
Speaker 3: The five eleven line about yourquil O'Neill, it's something some Johnny be bad and and here.
Speaker 2: He looks just like looks just like little rich.
Speaker 19: And no.
Speaker 2: Friends.
Speaker 14: God?
Speaker 3: Is that Norwood on the song Gary Michael competitor your ring an answer? Here comes Tunny sing. We'll be getting a lot of that until Mike Buffer comes out and big foots all over him.
Speaker 2: Johnny sing king Is that what it was?
Speaker 3: Yes, Junny, he's just noises, he's not words.
Speaker 2: Oh that's exactly right. He's got nothing.
Speaker 3: As it says on his on his cape, Johnny b Bad's Cape, when you're hot, you're.
Speaker 2: Hot as as it is is brother me, I mean my hot, dude, hot brother, I mean brother, who's got he you're hot about me coming into the company.
Speaker 3: Dude, brother, why did you wait a minute? When did you what? This is an ultimate It's all here. There's no chance on this episode. There's too much at steak. There's too many things he has yet to iron out in his favor.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, listen until he comes out victorious at the end. Everything is in flux. Everything is in flux, like everything, it could potentially be disastrous, all this crashing down exactly.
Speaker 3: Come true here. He's he's unprotected, the perimeter is unsecured. The barbarians are at the gate, yes they are, as well as the mings. So you better watch it very closely for any signs of slippage. Tremendous stuff. You thought Summer Slam two thousand and five, it was a deal.
Speaker 2: Everything's on the line here, so true.
Speaker 3: As we're staying. One of the things that uh Gary Michael could as he makes an appearance here, says in his book about the Stinger, the successfulst thing at Ben in w W the early eighties. The stories of Hulk Hogan's political chicanery that preceded his arrival the promotion caused the Stinger concern.
Speaker 2: For his top position.
Speaker 3: Wow, Stinger was concerned. I like this scary. Take me, take me more into the mind of the Stinger. Yes, I'll be doing. Were you afraid? Yes, afraid the gigs up? You're afraid the real stars here? You afraid that you're really just a whole clan? Are you afraid that this is no longer?
Speaker 2: Could that be it? I don't know. Well, if I can on a Sting dude, Hulk Cogan and Sting same guy.
Speaker 3: There, could we talk about that? Dude, I'm actually interested in that.
Speaker 2: I don't mind taking You know what if I have what if I played Sting dude board and you know, one or two often I came out as Sting andgan the compromise.
Speaker 3: They reaches him coming out with the Sting paint. It's just a matter of months. Actually that's what it took. He's like, all right, I'll just be a whole comaniac. Okay, you can come back, Steve. Sounds good to me. That's all you need to do it comes Johnny be bad? Do you want to make him mad? Sparkler's off the end and here he grabbed the All right, he's got a big it's not T shirt gone, No, it's one of those things that shoots confetti, the big fucking batons.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like, right, he's got them in his in the sleeve of his robe. He's got these things. It looks like he's got like crazy extra long arms, but instead they yeah, they shoot out confetti.
Speaker 3: Like and he puts it right wheres dick Is blows his load on the people of Orlando. He says, bad wants to walk out of here. US Champ, he goes, I mean the television champion. I mean he wants to walk out of here US Champ too, But I don't think that's gonna happen either. There's stuff everywhere, glitter, huge circle cardboard circles of glitter everywhere. They get stuck to the wrestlers all throughout the first match of the night.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's it's all. It's awful. It's really bad, Like, why don't even clean this fucking place up? We're so hard about that? I mean, why is it so hard? To just come out there and sweep them up. You know, here we go.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at my watch. It looks like nineteen ninety four. It looks like Steve Rigal's coming to the ring. It looks like I need to just lay out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go. Don't let them off.
Speaker 3: And turned a Papa bom bom boom boom.
Speaker 2: From boom boo boom.
Speaker 1: Boom boom bom bom bom.
Speaker 2: Boma po.
Speaker 5: Roll and Papa Papa bump.
Speaker 20: Balm p pum bomb bump pa.
Speaker 2: These fishes. Da, it's the norm, merchant, this is.
Speaker 10: What is the.
Speaker 2: You're coming off like like pantari ar rah.
Speaker 21: Lla rah.
Speaker 2: That koar. Oh fuck, it's a good theme. It's all right.
Speaker 3: Hogan, Gary Michael Kapeta writes in this book was everything that Bishop idolized. He was a household name, he had a masked considerable wealth, and most of all, he was Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Whenever Hogan arrived in the scene, Bischoff followed him around like an attention starved puppy dog.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 3: Capitalizing on his notoriety and wrestling the haulk Stort accomplished what Eric dreamed about for himself from the first day he signed on as ww's newest announcer. He hate Bischoff, hates when people say that.
Speaker 2: Hates it. My god, Yet everyone fucking says it makes you wonder, makes you.
Speaker 3: Boys trying to push the company more in the direction of Woolshire Boulevard.
Speaker 2: Peachtree Peachtree Street.
Speaker 3: He does say that that guy wants an office on bullsh Are so bad.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck yeah, listen, he wants to have he wants to have, you know, offices underneath. Imagine he wants he wants to work twenty hours a day and dressed like he works too. Yeah, exactly, he wants to work right underneath Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, all right on the little fucking corner. I mean they still have that office. I don't know. I don't know if they did.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they remember when you did the regal theme in Philly on stage is what it comes down to for us. After ten years, you're standing at punchline on the stage. Noyone's sitting there watching you do it.
Speaker 2: Fucking idiot, tremendous.
Speaker 3: So here he is regal with the Sir William aka Buildlundie and the TV strap on and even one guy has the Union jack in the crowd, so they've got some support.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 3: Fake sign alert. Johnny b Bad is so pretty held by a woman. She was handed that sign. I will get dollars to donuts, he says. In the golf War, you could see the whole thing on CNN tonight. You'll see another war ironically too. You can't see this actually ironically, you can't see this on a turner. You can see this on a turner brand as well, just like you could the golf War.
Speaker 2: There you go, There you go.
Speaker 3: All right, Nick Patrick, boys, the strap mustachiout and uh looking very concerning Nick Patrick. He's got a buzz cut, and he's trying to make me think that he might be, you know, thinking about bomb bombing a building or something. I mean, he and he it's it's it's not like he does anything to really change that that that that suggestion. He is so bad tonight, Yeah, on this on this show, Yeah he is. I mean, it's an all timer in terms of his shadiness and his shitty fucking refereeing.
Speaker 2: Oh he's setting a supper star kid in ninety seven, is what he's doing. I guess, so setting us up for fucking years as it is, But man, is he awful.
Speaker 3: As bad tells the camera at showtime and a good day to be a bad man?
Speaker 2: Was he good? Was he a good referee when he was on SmackDown? And ww I don't think he was bad because I don't know what it is. But he is just an awful lazy because it's not even like he's a bad referee in terms of he moves a lot slower than he he moves a slower, but he also doesn't specifically in the tag title match, he doesn't like he doesn't make an effort to kind of not see things. Yeah, yeah, he's just standing there cheat right, and especially the finish of that. But I don't want to talk about it yet, but man, he's just awful And I don't understand, like how a referee can be that bad for this long, like this consistent, like and still have a I mean, oh, he has a job because of his dad, but like, how do you how do you fucking how do you not improve over time?
Speaker 3: It's a great question, great question. So we get John to be bad Versteve Regal TV title.
Speaker 2: On the line. Whenever I see Regal during this era, I always think of his interview on Jericho's podcast from years ago, maybe eight fucking ten years ago, I don't know. He talks about how he would decide the style of the match based on who was in the crowd. Wow, you know, he'd look out in the crowd. I think he said he would do this with Guerrero and to look out in the crowd, and they would see, is it mostly women and children?
Speaker 15: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it you know, teens? Is it is it adults? You know? And he would and he would adjust his style for whatever that was going to be, going from more comedic, comedic with you know, the h younger with the kids and stuff, and then going for a more technical, you know, intense fight for for different crowd like for adult crowds.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: It just was like this so fucking amazing. So if you don't really I don't think. I don't think people I know they don't. They don't consider that.
Speaker 3: They think wrestlers have a whole fucking routine handed to them. They know that wrestlers call things in the ring, but they think wrestlers just call things to a predetermined order, like not back then, no, not necessarily.
Speaker 2: Like you could ads. He could ad just based on who was there and like know what he needed to do to get the crowd, because it's all about it's all about how you're going to get the crowd to react.
Speaker 3: It's all about how are you going tonce the crowd that you're in control too. It's like, because they can sabotage a match if they think chanting boring is gonna you know, accomplish something. But he's a guy that knows how to work a slower style and countenance the boring chance in a way that once those boring chance fade, they still realize, well, Regle's in control, and I kind of have to respect that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So the rings covered and glitter has said. Regal is doing his walk around the perimeter and snapping his head off to the side like he used to do. You know that means it's time to lock up. Oh in the corner, there's a break. Keenan calls Regal his lordship.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 3: Butterflies the going because uh, you know how big of a show it is, and he says, Gene has fleas. So Steve Wriggle goes to the arm ringer bad tumbles through and cranks on the shoulder to a pop, and Tony says, so it's a full arm dragon twist, so you can take your shot there if you're playing the Tony Shivanni drinking game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you'll get You'll get drunk by the end of this show.
Speaker 3: So Regal then flips forward. I used to love how he used to take that front flip when someone gave him an arm ringer yep, yep, and then off his back. He entangles his foot in Johnny B Bad's grip to break that uh and gets to a side headlock. And then Johnny b Bad tries to go back to the arm ringer, but Regal pins him in the corner lock up. Bad goes back to the arm USA chance still going and Steve Rerigal slaps his shoulder and rolls because in wrestling, when your shoulder is being twisted like that, if you slap it, I don't know if you know that, it kind of right sizes all the muscles.
Speaker 2: And everything well, and he gets the blood flowing is what it is? Blood flow? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because when you crank someone's arm, the blood just stops. I understand that just stops.
Speaker 2: You got to re engage, So after.
Speaker 3: He flips, he grabs Johnny b Bad's hair and yanks him down to the canvas and Dad comes up pissed at that, so Steve Regel with a great umbrage on his face as Bad closes it and the ref keeps them separated. Bad goes back to the arm head locked to the ropes. Regel pulls out the arm and yanks down Johnny be Bad to the canvas and smothers him with the lateral press for two. Goes to the knucklelock neon Belly gets too Johnny be Bad builds back up. They go to the knucklelock position and Regal leaps into a monkey flip and then back flips up back on the shoulders for two.
Speaker 2: Like Okay, am I crazy?
Speaker 8: Or is?
Speaker 2: Did I guess? When Regal looked at the crowd, he said, I gotta do a more high flying stop right, he's taking he's taking flight. I've never seen him move like this before, Like he's it's insane how he's moving, like he's doing flips and flying like he's like he's a lucha door he is.
Speaker 3: He's mixing a lot of that, like everything instead of just selling like that slow, deliberate pain he's selling like I'm getting lock knocked off my feet by every single thing Johnny b Bad does to me. So when he backflips back onto bad shoulders, he gets the two, allowing Bad to pull him down a sounset flip position for one, and then both have the circles of glitter stuck all over them. The canvas is more gray than I remember, boss, I remember it being more blue than this. But we do have our yellow buckles, the uh the target logo in the middle of the canvas in the black rope yes, so the crosshairs walk up to the ropes, push off leap frog. Bad comes with the jack.
Speaker 2: I could be well, when we were coming New York to we have kind of gray. The kind of gray mad dude, the same Broler might be something to considered, dude.
Speaker 3: That is one thing Bishoff said big time was like he got a little sick of it after a while. Hogan would never hesitate to take a moment to say that's you know, that's not how Vince does it, though brothers would do it, and they him, ah is it should you know? It's so ww have to be like, look, I mean I know you guys do your thing the way you do. Harros want to let you know as if, like if he knew how Vince did it, he would change his mind obviously.
Speaker 2: But it's like, you know right because he went, well, brother, if you want to work big time, did he get to come up form vincetas dude? It would never Brother, He's he's a big time brother. I don't know what you're trying to run down here, but I'm a shit show Carni Town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could say that again. To the Ropes, push off leap Frog Bad with the Japanese arm drag, Tony calls a Mexican arm drag, which is fine. Bad with the foot shuffle and Regal dives on the ankle to shut down.
Speaker 2: Johnny B.
Speaker 3: Bad picks up the leg and Bad spins and Regal ghost flying as a result of that, Tony credits Steve Regal for taking an opponent's change in stride from sting to Johnny B. Bad, and Heene said Regal doesn't matter. It doesn't matter to Steve Regal. All Americans to him are inferior. Regal goes to the side headlock and Bad tries to shift to the top wristlock, but Regal pulls it back into position. Bad Now pushes off and gets for a Regal with the tackle over the top another Japanese arm dragged by Mark Merrill, who then cranks the arm ringer, but Regal sucks him in the face some hard forearms.
Speaker 2: Now from Regal. I love it. I I I never I say this every time. I think I never really appreciated Regal back then. Yeah. I just always thought he was boring. I didn't like him. I thought he was dull. And I just think he's he's just got a much more grounded style than I think anyone maybe realize. I don't know, I don't know how he was generally received back then, but man, he's just he's just I just love watching him quiet taste.
Speaker 3: Yeah, once you get the taste of what he's actually doing, and you like to your point, you hear a few interviews, you get a little color around, like how much ingenuity goes into his style, it's like, yeah, let's let's enjoy these matches for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean it just it's just it's just great, Like he just I don't know, he get I get very I mean it's in a weird way. It's kind of like when like watching football. Like when I was younger, I used to not like watching football, so they didn't understand what the fuck was going on, right of course. But then you know what's when when you kind of learn the rules of football, it's like, oh shit, like this is great, this is a fucking great, great sport. Yes, the same thing with Regal's that kind of same you know, that same veins.
Speaker 3: Putting the strategies to work. Yep, that you now understand and can appreciate. So Bad goes for a foot, it gets caught, it gets spun around. Regal grabs a front face lock, but Bad snaps out with a hammer lock. But Regal goes face first on the hammer lock, doesn't stand, goes face first. That's how you selles clutching the shoulder and takes a powder to get some advice from us. Sir William Heenan says that you know what's the problem. Why are they viewing him? Quarterbacks were into the sideline all the time, and they cheer them for a smart play when they do it. Here are the champion, the television champion, takes a breather, has a legit ten count, and all these humanoids boo them for that, and Tony says they boo the quarterback depending on who he was if he did that, and he then says nothing wrong with disappearing here and there, give me.
Speaker 14: A laptan wrestling podcast. The wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lampsed Fan. He's an a lapsed fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 21: With Jack and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it says if he takes a walk, he'll also I don't think anyone would boo I mean, name one. The only the only way you'd boo it is if they're playing your team right and you're and you're like you're there, then you boom. But I don't think even then people would boo for that.
Speaker 3: I don't even think then it would really be I don't think it's personal driven. It's more like the play like you know, he he he, he did something that was kind of cheap. You know, he didn't give the guy, he didn't give him his team a chance to advance. They're not gonna boo that though, They're just gonna like they're going to decry it. But because you're not when you run out of bounds, you're not going to boo the guy because the team that did it is happy that he did it because he stopped the clock and the quarterback didn't get hurt out of tackle, and the other team doesn't care because he instead of trying to get extra five yards, he went out of bounce exactly. I don't know who's mad about that, but anyway, Heena asks if Steve Riegle takes a walk, he'll lose the title?
Speaker 2: Will he? Then?
Speaker 3: He then take a walk, as they explain, no, he won't lose the title. Take a walk, That's what I do. Take a walk to Tampa, he says. He gets back in the corner, they go regal ship. What whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa you're talking about to Tampa?
Speaker 2: Do big night tonight. Bobby looked.
Speaker 3: This is let's drink to a great night here, Bachel of the beach. Brother, I want to thank you for being magic. On commentary, dude was going over everything that we talked about, and just one note on the opener, there was a point, brother.
Speaker 2: Dude, he takes out a fucking notebook. Did that's what brother? I saw here? Dude, you know there was a point during the opening mash brother, you talked about you know, Regal taking a walk to Tampa.
Speaker 3: Do what was that about my Tampa? Well, Terry wat figured where it's the next nearest big city in central Florida. I mean we're right there.
Speaker 2: All well, brother, you know I lived there, Dude. Why would you tell somebody to go where I live? For you telling him like you're basically telling him? Dude, why don't you go to Hulk Cogan's house and like go inside, like have a beer.
Speaker 3: Tell me you didn't pick Tampa. There was nowhere in your mind, brother, was Hulk cocing on your mind when you picked Tampa.
Speaker 2: Mean, why don't you say around in Miami, dude? Why not go to Miami, Bros? Why don't you go to you know, for Waterdale right there? You know dude Jacksonville. Why do you kiss my Why don't you kiss my brother?
Speaker 3: You're gonna tell me as long as we've known each other, Bobby, you didn't tell me, brother that you didn't say Tampa because I lived there.
Speaker 2: You're not. I been been going since Minnesota, Dude. We've been down a w a brother, and you're telling me right now, dude that you just happy to say Tampa. Brother, that you said Hey, you know I don't take a take a hike down in Tampa, brother without any sort of you know, kind of subtext, dude, that you were basically saying to to Stephen Rigal, brother, Hey, why don't you go break into whole Coagan's house everything he's got, you know, fucking take his wife, brother, take his kids, take his title, I mean, take a tour, take my house. Why'd you say that to somebody? Dude? Why would you damn brother? Well, I would just say that on air, Dude, that you want Stephen Regal to go take and destroy Hulk Hogan's house. You said that verbatim. Brother, You said, Stephen Regal, take a walk with a fucking box of matches, dude, to fucking torch whatever, brother, Hulk Cogan's torch and torch his fucking house. Those are the words you said on the air. Fucking brother, And you don't expect me to bring that up. He looks something to be nervous, Dude, we're you been talking to exactly what dugla sting.
Speaker 3: I love how it's like this prosecutorial like I've got all this evidence, like you are screwed, Like I've got you corner you can't say nothing. Then he goes, who you talking to? All of a sudden he needs All of a sudden, he's back and like trying to get information out of Bobby mode, like Bobby's not gonna say anything to you now. After that, I who are you talking to?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: What are you? Bob? He's just like he's he's mortified, he's confused. Do you know what? A lot of it started?
Speaker 3: And I think back it was road wild when we're doing the Jay Leno paranoia in a full circle with him doing Leno before Batch at the Beach ninety four. Yeah, right, and he goes to Jericho. He goes, did you have a conversation with him?
Speaker 21: Brother?
Speaker 3: That's what I realized, Like, yeah, just a conversation alone is enough to raise his suspicion.
Speaker 2: Exactly what are they talking? The questions why why did you have a conversation?
Speaker 3: Talk to anybody? You talk to Leno? Dude, you talk to the guy I'm in the ring with here in a couple of hours, Dude, did you did you have a conversation with him?
Speaker 22: Brother?
Speaker 2: You're talking to Leno? What what are you talking about? It's a good T shirt? You're talking to Leno? Dude talking pretty great, pretty good, it's pretty it's pretty great. That's a deep cut. That is a deep cut. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So yes, they get back in the ring. They go to the corner, regal shifts at a European upcut, a snap mare, and he's club and away. Johnny bad drums the front face lock, does the quick wrist grab to the hammer lock duck underneath. Tony says, they've been saying wrestling's cool again. They hit that one one too many times. God, mean, wrestling's cool again. It's old Coogan, He's but this wrestling is the same as it's been for ten years.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's it's not cool again, No, I mean, first of all, come on, cool and I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: And that's such a that's such a low key cell phone, you know, like we haven't been cool and we know it, Like why would you ever admit that?
Speaker 2: Oh so sad.
Speaker 3: Wrestling is not cool when you put the same guy in your main event that's been in the same main event WWS for ten years. It's exactly any sense. He knows w watch ww put a hold on you. Hegle has his left arm hanging limp John to be bad, just standing there, not attacking Regal is.
Speaker 2: Trying to draw him. They talk about everyone, no one, no one's talking about it like here, I actually got that clip here.
Speaker 17: Listen to this entire city, this entire area of central Florida.
Speaker 23: In the newspapers yesterday.
Speaker 17: On the television stations, the only thing they could talk about Haltalking and Rick Flair.
Speaker 15: You know, just last Friday, gen Oakerland and I were in Los Angeles making a movie Time Masters, and everybody in Los Angeles.
Speaker 23: Was talking about the pay per view.
Speaker 15: They were talking about this match, Hogan Flair, and not only that, they were talking about Vader, they were talking about the Guardian Angel, they were talking.
Speaker 23: About Sunny Steve Austin Steamboat.
Speaker 15: Everyone's talking about WCW.
Speaker 17: Reversal well as they've been saying, wrestling's cool again.
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah, sounds sounds like it w put a hole on you.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I mean stop, nobody's talking about that ship.
Speaker 8: Stop.
Speaker 2: No one's talking about stop like no stop. Awful? Yeah, that was really, I mean, it's it's embarrassing. No one and his said wrestling is cool, okay, nobody, not one fucking person, And.
Speaker 3: I think one person is a reasonable ask before they're allowed to say that, you know, it's it's a reasonable kind of per requisite.
Speaker 2: So by the way, of course, a time master coming soon under the c.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I'm glad you mentioned that. Did you know about that one before this pay per view?
Speaker 24: No?
Speaker 2: I did not know about that one before the pay per view.
Speaker 3: Gene Oakland and Bobby Heenan.
Speaker 2: Geene Oakland and Bobby Heenon. It's also got uh also got our boy Nils Alan Stewart. Oh shit, that's a fucking he He was Jesse Ventura in the Jesse Ventura movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, probably probably already got the connections to yeah, because they could w W was heavily cooperative in that movie, lending them nitro and everything.
Speaker 2: Remember that. Oh yeah, they probably and they probably met him. Yeah, they probably met him around here, you know.
Speaker 14: In this one.
Speaker 2: Got Michelle Williams in that fucking is that right? Holy shit?
Speaker 3: Looking forward to it now, this is the fact you might have to fast track that one. I might why she got cooking there in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: But I had some things, but I don't know. This one's this one comes very appropriate if we're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: He should do it after the pay per view surface. Now anyway, let's see and look at that.
Speaker 2: Look at that. You can get it now, all right, we'll see. Maybe maybe that's it. Yep, maybe that's it. Brother.
Speaker 3: So regaliz his left arm hanging limb, trying to get Bad to go after it, but he's just standing there. Finally goes to the hammer lock, back elbow and European upper cut by Regal. Regal tries to sup lexits block. Bad goes to the wrist. Regal goes back to the elbows and a head butt puts Bad on his seat. To the middle rope. He does the dumple, jumping knees and then a drop kick, and he slaps Marrow in the face. Mary slaps him in the face with the dropkick. Meryl fights back, though swinging to the gut. He drops down on a fireman's carry and starts cranking on the arm. That's very much like No Mercy Boss, where you grab a submission out of the nowhere fireman's carry just because the guy's hurt. You want to win, like you abandon all You abandon all pretense of trying to make the match look dramatic and realistic. You just go for the submission out of nowhere with no psychology. Heenon calls out Thunder and Paradise co star Chris Lemon, who's front row looking super cool speaking of wrestling, is cool again?
Speaker 2: Look at this guy? Yeah right, he is miserab Okay, such a fucking goof. I mean he's got listen, he's got sunglasses on inside. He wants nobody to know that he's there.
Speaker 3: He didn't goes Probably I'm probably stuck in, he says. If Chris Levin merrou lifts him up in the arm ringer and wrenches down on Regel's shoulder, hits him until he drops cut again into Chris Lemon. He's next to Linda Hogan. Indeed, so we start to notice Linda, and.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know that was I could. I was like, you start seeing the moment you see you see Chris Lemon, and then all all of a sudden, you see Linda's there. Then you see the kids, and then you're like, I can't watch any I can't nott watch anything else. All I can do is I gotta watch them the whole fucking time.
Speaker 3: To think at the time before Hogan knows best and stuff. We had no idea, but Linda Hogan looked like no clue never that she was forever the whole time. Now that we do know, to your exact point, we can't see anything else. And she's overdressed and she's looking all, oh yeah, she's missmissed America.
Speaker 2: You know, come on, so you think this is it's fucking come on. You know he's gonna win. Well, he didn't tell you that he's gonna fucking go. He's going over flair. Please knock it off. I'm not time for the shit.
Speaker 3: Linda Headen says, he's a real lemon. All right, he is, isn't He don't look at me like that, he says to Tony on the.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not wrong. He's not a fake lemon, because he definitely is. He's Jack lemon Son. He's a real lemon.
Speaker 3: Regal tucks in a wild head kick to the side of the head to break free and back to the European uppercuts. Now corner to corner. Irish whip by Johnny b Bad is reversed and Regal puts the brakes on and turns around into a big drop kick for the count of two. Whip is reversed Bad with the tilt to whirl head scissors that he used to do, and man, did Regal know how to front flip and tuck that head at the very last second. Yes, indeed heel out of the corner to that point. As Regal again gets to tuck at the last second, Irish whip at a backdrop. Regal goes up and over. Johnny be Bad is cooking here and he signals he's gonna hit the big left and he drops Regal with it, and Regal rolls to the floor to prevent being pinned, and Bad goes out after him and takes out both he and Sir William with a piscado dive to a big pop. Bad hits a shoulder from the apron comes outside in with the sunset flip, and at this point, Sir William lifts up his umbrella that he brings to the ring and Regal grabs the umbrella to prevent being pulled down in the sunset flip, and then Nick Patrick sees this and kicks the umbrella out of their hands. This causes Regal to fall down for a two count, and then Regal kind of flips back over and ties up and shoots on Marrow, puts him on his back, stacks him up for the one, the two, and the three. So Regal pulls the rug out.
Speaker 2: From under that.
Speaker 9: That was.
Speaker 2: Kind of a I kind of dug that that finish, that Regal power out of it. Yeah really, but yeah, that it wasn't just kind of like a slick wrestling, you know, reversal or whatever roll through. But the fact that he he fucking powered out of it and stacked the motherfucker and then held his tights.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yeah, he didn't. He didn't wilt. He just went for it, you know. He he didn't chicking his way out of it. He just saw an opportunity and took it. Ten minutes, forty seconds. Lord Stephen Regal retains the WCW World Television Championship defeating Johnny B. Bad in the opening contest at Bash of the Beach nineteen ninety four. Crowd kind of flat for the finish because it did look kind of it did look kind of goofy, a little sloppy a little bit, you know, it was kind of like forced almost like they intended it for it to be smoother, just because it wasn't smooth. It doesn't mean it didn't look good, but I feel like the crowd was kind of like they struggle to get Regal in the right position there. William gets up in the apron, bad Sling shots him in backdrop for Bill Dundee, and he SCRAMs to give the crowd something to be happy about, and Johnny b Bad stomps on that perverted little hat that build Unto used to wear in a fun beach ball multi that sweeps across the screen on the lookplay. It's a fun wipe. Marrow strangely refuses to release his grip as Regal is trying to backflip out of a sunset. That was the thing about the finish that was really kind of weird. You know, you had a situation where if Merrow just kind of let go and stop fighting so much for the sunset flip, it wouldn't have allowed Real to do this to him. But that's minor details. The grounds crew is out trying to clean up all of that glitter. Tony Shivanni notes and a ringside. Tony and Bobby are trying to kill some time, it seems. Bobby says he has to check on something concerning later tonight as you know Bobby always receiving information from his quote unquote sources backstage, being the broadcast journalist.
Speaker 2: All listen, he's very, very very involved, like he needs he listen, he needs information.
Speaker 3: And Heena knows he's got a scram And Tony says, well, stay with me for a few minutes. As it becomes clear that he didn't kind of jump the gun on that piece, Tony mentions Chris Lemon and other dignitaries. Chris Lemon and other dignitaries. There's a phrase it's never been uttered before. Yeah, and nor shall it ever, He said again. The please Hogan look a lot guy is right over Tony's shoulder, as he would be for just about every Red and Yellow Holk Cogan match. In WCW Tony talks about Hogan being on readising Kathy Lee and he and and s Hiss Flair doesn't have to beat him. Hogan's been running five miles a day, George Forman training him.
Speaker 2: He hopes it works.
Speaker 3: It does have to beat him, Maybe that's what I meant to say, so w CWS Elson negotiating the ward in The Observer was to even have Mike Tyson be involved in some of the training vignettes for Hulk Cogan. Bischoff flat out denied that. But he's been kind of weird about his talks with Tyson. I think he's kind of sensitive about the fact that they could have preempted WWF getting Tyson in ninety eight because they were in talks with him.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like he's got like a default position of acting like he never talked to Mike Tyson in his life. I'm sure he can find sound of him saying he did, but I always wonder about that. But of course Iron Mike was I think in prison at the time, so that would have been a little bit difficult. I think the observer sin in permission in exchange for permission to film Tyson w w's offer to air the bet ash at the beach for free throughout the prison. That would be something to see.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 3: Tony says he'll be joined by Jesse the buddy Ventori here in a few minutes. As he Heenan waves his arm and checks his watch because he's got a lot going on and he wants the thing to move along. There's a woman in the ring with Gene introduced for you, ladies and gentlemen, currently Japan's premieer superstar, but also a tremendous human being elected recently by a popular vote to the House of Counselors, the equivalent of a senator. Please welcome the great Antonio Andoki and he comes out to a minor pop and a full tuxedo. This is Gene Oakland in the ring here and here with the dignitaries from a Plan Japan also muscacai eto. Gina says, can we get a translation for this for all of us at WCW. We want to present to Antonio and Oke on July seventeenth, nineteen ninety four, recognition of your tremendous contributions. This blaque standing ovation for Antonio Andok is called for. He gets a kiss from the woman in the ring. Flowers are exchanged, and this was all part of a no he's trying to find like an opponent for a WSW you know, Japan crossover thing. Regal was kind of thought to be someone that would plug in nicely to Japan as a working heel, and as mentioned, Bischoff really tried to restart the New Japan relationship through Brad Ringgins after it kind of collapsed under Bill Watts. So Brigel comes back in. They're kind of shooting this for Japanese television as much as they are for American television, and he gets to the microphone. He says, am I led to believe that this man from overseas is receiving a plaque for being an honorable wrestler. What a noble Englishman like myself, elected to the House of Lords and who has beat everyone you have to offer does not get an award?
Speaker 2: Am I to believe? Right?
Speaker 3: I put an end to a legend in this country? Now you have to fly in suppose the legends. I just came back from Tokyo, where I beat the greatest. I didn't see this man anywhere to be found Antonio the whole time. Antonio and ok, he's given him that money, like dead serious, up and downstair, Like he doesn't understand every word he's saying, but he understands enough to know that he's asking for an ass kicking. Regal says, beating Ali and Andre doesn't wear with me. I am far superior to you, and it's a bloody job you're retired right now. Otherwise I'd give you a lesson like I did everybody else. And then Antonioki starts like marching him around the ring and says something into the mic. You can't really make out what he says, something about wrestling, and yeah, it takes off the coat. They pop when he takes off the coat. He has those instincts, I'll give him that, and they're popping and calling out and the woman's laughing and smiling.
Speaker 2: That that is listen my experience when whenever a wrestler from Japan is taking off a coat, you get the fuck out of that, right, absolutely, that's what happened with Kobashi. Took off that fucking coat and oh yes, mark my fucking check.
Speaker 3: On YouTube still lives on YouTube. So Regal bounces, you were lucky. He says, I'm sick of these so called bloody legends, and Regal even steps to a fan who hit him in the aisleway. Doug Dilander, of course, Johnny on the spot. Now Tony's with Jesse Ventura. Turn around, Jess, you're on camera. Oh you talk about checked out? My second he heard at Hogan's coming in.
Speaker 2: He is done. He is just you can tell on his face. He is just like, Hey, can I get the fuck out of here playing Hey, hey, hey, I don't want to be here anymore Shavanni.
Speaker 25: Jesse hated Hogan, hated Hogan, hated the fact that we hired Hogan and being the primited, down a little bitch that he was.
Speaker 7: You know, the fact that there was so much focus on hul Cogan and no more focus on Jesse Ventura. You know, he got his undies all wound up, but he and he couldn't hide it, you know, he just couldn't pretend he wasn't pissed off. And that's exactly what you saw there. I mean is he was at his unprofessional best. In my opinion at that point. It was, like I said, it was as unprofessional I think as one could be, you know, And it's easy for a guy like like Jesse Venturer, not Jesse particular, but for someone like him who's playing a heel and is trying to do what everybody doesn't think they're going to do and say what people don't expect them to say. I get all that horseshit, but yeah, to leave Tony hanging out on a ledge like that because you've got a you know, particular acts to grind because the focus isn't on you as a talent, and the focus is on a guy who you personally don't like for whatever reason, is so immature and unprofessional. And I'm literally I haven't watched Jesse in so long I can't remember the last time. And when I saw that this morning, I went, cat, I'm really glad I fired him.
Speaker 3: What a bishop's been a rants Honestly, I can say, geez. Maybe part of the reason Jesse was cranky was because he had just found out in the deposition, well, it had just wrapped up the case he filed against WWF over collising and video likeness rights, and it was in deposition for that lawsuit that he found out that Vince undersworn Oath said that Hulk Hogan was the one who rated out Jesse's attempt to unionize the locker room before Wrestling two, so that might have had just a little something to do with it. And Jesse had just closed the deal to settle for high six figures with WWF because they didn't pay him as they should have for his appearances on Colosseum Home video, all the while paying people like Hogan and some others who they swear weren't getting royalties or royalty streams, So that was part of why I'm sure Jesse wasn't necessarily interested interfacing with the Hulkster. A lot of what Eric said, just to be clear, there was couched in what happens much later on the broadcast where Jesse is asked directly by Tony Shavanni in a clear attempt to kill time who he predicts in the Rick Flair Hulk Cogan match, and Jesse, instead of saying anything, just says, I already gave my prediction and absolutely leaves Tony hanging and have to kill yes, doesn't want to say it. And in fact, in Jesse's defense, he had made his prediction on WCB television and this is what that sounded.
Speaker 21: Totally, And they'll get their shot, as you said, Tony, it's just hours away.
Speaker 8: And the big question is can.
Speaker 2: Hulk Hogan do it?
Speaker 21: Can Hulk Hogan come out of hiatus, out of being out of wrestling now for what almost a year, can he comes nature Boy Rick Blair and become first time ever WCW World Heavyweight Champion, or as I predict, will the nature Boy prevail? Because it's my opinion, Nature Boy Rick Flair's on top of his game. He's like a precision piece of machinery right now. And Hogan is going into this match with literally no warm up match.
Speaker 19: Well, you're right, he's gonna have mister Key in his corner. He has been training with George Foreman Shaquille O'Neil. Tonight will present the built to the champion, be it either Flair Hogan.
Speaker 23: It is going to be exciting.
Speaker 1: It is going to be to night.
Speaker 19: And we still in this program have comments from Hulk Hogan here on the main event.
Speaker 21: I just hope Shaquille O'Neil doesn't bother me too much there. The guys put the word out his greatest desire in history is to get an autograph from me. I've got things to do tonight.
Speaker 19: He would lother get an autograph from you the win the scoring title in the NBA.
Speaker 21: You think I would say they as, wouldn't you? I know you'd say, yeah, well there you go, And where would you ask me? If you already know what the answer will be.
Speaker 23: I'm in a reposition you go to work with.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, what happened? A w c W was brought Hogan in and that stuff. The end for me. Hogan wanted me gone, and it was and my contract had about six months to go on it when they brought in Hogan, and I was never called back. So for six months I just sat at home and they paid me.
Speaker 2: Why did he want want you gone?
Speaker 8: I mean because Hogan wanted to control and he knew he couldn't control Jesse Ventura. And he knows that I'll say anything on the micah and and and I didn't even know they were bringing him in, and I badmlfed him and they never didn't tell me that. Bischoff didn't tell me he was bringing him in. And so right there, Bishop's loyalty was to Hogan because he managed gets an angle and when he left Vince and that cut me loose, even though I helped Bishof get to the position of power. Bishop's a little backstabber.
Speaker 3: A little backstabber's that's what you get when you get a guy who was never satisfied with what wrestling gives him. Right there, money in absolutely that's with a wrestling ink there. Jesse Ventura speaking not too long ago about the ww row Cogan wanted to hold. Cogan wanted to control Jesse. The body Ventura and you can control Jesse the body Ventura. H I don't blame Hogan.
Speaker 2: Not gonna happen. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: The things he would have said on the mic after that fucking core fiasco about Hogan Hogan would have been the fucking painted is the biggest crook in the world. For any little misstep he man in that ring, Jesse would have gone off the handle about him clotheslining. Sherry would never heard the end of the last thing you'd hear at Past to the Beach. Instead of this big celebration of Hogan's crowning in his first match, would be Jesse's screaming about Sherry the whole time. You can imagine it.
Speaker 24: I do.
Speaker 2: I am kind of bummed that, uh, it would have been great that he didn't Well, I'm bummed that he wasn't on commentary for this too. That's it.
Speaker 3: That's just it too, that we never got I'm bummed that we didn't get Jesse even tourer commenting one Hull Cogan WCW match. I would have loved to hear what you want to come up with h You imagine if they worked it out and Jesse was in the Nitro booth. Oh my god, that's something you never think about. That would have been unbelievable. Imagine that sitting here picturing it. I'm picturing Jesse in the in the seat instead of heen And at Bash of the Beach ninety six. Yep, it would have been better, but it would have been different, in a fascinating been.
Speaker 2: It would have been. Hey, I told you all the time, I'm not surprised at all. I'm not surprised. Look at this whole Cogan coming out to save the day. Huh, look at this. He turned just back on everybody. Big hero. That's what he does, big hero, Big hero. Why don't you go hit a woman? Right? Exactly?
Speaker 3: And then I'm just like trying trying to get like the company line across, and he's just like going into business for himself.
Speaker 2: I love the hook. Hogan's a son of a bitch. I've known that for years.
Speaker 3: I love how salty Bischoff is about Jesse.
Speaker 2: God bless you. Oh it's great, It's fucking fantastic.
Speaker 3: So here, Jesse says, I had a fortune of wrestling in Okie. One time, Tony looks around like he's pissed that Jesse is talking about this.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know his fucking thing.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, the Land Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio m JP sorrow.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 10: Look.
Speaker 2: I did try to look it up this uh I wrote it down here when he talks about wrestling and Okie, are.
Speaker 3: You trying to find the match?
Speaker 2: I did? I looked, he does. He did wrestle him, but it was not like it wasn't what he said it was. Yeah, it was different. I think I have it here somewhere, but I don't know. Okay, maybe it's later on.
Speaker 3: But so he said Regal shouldn't shouldn't Regal go to the back? He says, and Jesse goes, do you have to ask?
Speaker 5: You have not me?
Speaker 3: And he calls Jesse, your honor. That's gotta be a comment on the court case. You gotta put that on the h that's my contract. You gotta call me your honor because I'm the judge jorian executioner, but mostly the judge. I'm the judge jury executioner of Minnesota have been for years. They come to me, right, mm hm, I'm the decider. I'm the decider. That was uh yeah, that was That was the George Bush line. Yeah right right, I am judge jury and Buddy Rose so the executioner. So he's got hair in his back. He's got hair in the back, Jesse does. So that's a problem. But he's still trying to keep it coming.
Speaker 2: Oh it's I don't understand that. I don't understand that. It's it's really it's inappropriate. It's it's inconsiderate. It's not it's not okay. So it's not okay.
Speaker 3: It's Vader, it's w W it's ninety four. Let me see here, Yeah, this will be boons clang clang, clang clang.
Speaker 2: With Harley. Look at a bump. Oh my god, absolutely, oh my god, Oh my god. And this is he bumped. If that if there was ever a time when somebody fucking like, you know, lapsed, you know, lapsed theory comes to fruition.
Speaker 3: Holy ship was laughing my ass off watching Harley bump in this one men and a Men's Warehouse suit and he's.
Speaker 2: Sailing seriously ah mm hmm. Fucking he is. He's out of his mind. Come on, come on, come on, he's out of his mind.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 2: He absolutely is like that.
Speaker 10: That.
Speaker 2: That tubby little bitch is just out of his fucking mind. Come on, I need it, I need it. I need a bump. I want to feel my organ an. I need to feel the bump. I want to feel the bump. I need to feel build the bump, Build the bump, bump to the build word.
Speaker 3: Dear mother bumped me home and said, West Virginia Gonfree Rhades bumped me home. Oh my god, Harley Race with a stomach full of Kansas City but barbecue, No question about that. This guy his smoked fucking meats and his tragger grill like smoking sky high. I'm smoking a bump, smoking a pancake.
Speaker 2: The more the more I eat, the more I bump.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, come on, let's lock up. He's in the backyard at a barbecue lock up and gets pushed off on the grass.
Speaker 2: It's like it's some it's some fucking you know, like normal neighbor, you know who, just like he lives in the neighbors saying all right, look, I know, I know, honey, I know it's a it's a pain, but we gotta go to the races. Okay, he's having a.
Speaker 3: Is he gonna say? Built to the bump again? I still don't her stand with that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know. But look he's you know, we we like to the neighborhood. Okay, we like to keep it. I don't even keel. Okay.
Speaker 3: Five minutes later, he's taking taking the corner of his wooden deck like he takes the buckle over.
Speaker 8: Daryl.
Speaker 26: Come here, come here, Daryl, give me out. Let's belt the bomp. Come on, Daryl, fucking barbecue. I'm gonna bump.
Speaker 2: What the need in need in need? Okay, okay, okay, Harry, how do we do this again? All right? There we go. Here we go, Here we go. There's a whole fucking ball game, my dear, Here we go. Lock up. We're gonna lock up. Okay, okay, okay, all right, Uh you're sweaty.
Speaker 3: Pushed me, damn it, pushed me. Come on, go on, push me, just put me here. He does the things where his arms flail and off the floor exactly.
Speaker 2: He's on the fucking grass. He's in like, you know, shorts and a tucked in you know, like a polo shirt. Okay, just fucking one foot on the ground, one foot up, straight up, two arms out. He just fucking bumps and then does like a backward roll, you know, having bumped. He's in a state of having bumped normal. Okay, Okay, Harley, you're right, ah, do it again, Get it again, Get it again, get it again.
Speaker 8: You a bitch.
Speaker 3: Guy's money, guy's absolute money. And he faces Ray Trailer, the Guardian angel here, not the one, oh fuck, not the running for a mayor of New York City, but in fact, Ray Trailer for Vader. This says it all that he's as soon as home comes in. Here he is after going for Flair in the world title the last time they were on pay per view or two pay per views go now he's in the mid card, as he says in his book, after the Thundercage, executives took me out of the main events scene. I knew it was coming, and it bugged me. I knew not to say anything, but I figured maybe I could make my action speak louder than words in the ring and force them to keep me in the mix. My first mite card feud was with Ray Trailer, who many may remember as Big boss Man in w W if you had just come in pretty hot office stint with Vince in WCW. They just called him the Boss at this point, no, but would later call him the Guardian Angel for legal reasons. Ray was excellent and worked really snug or matches were better than they had hoped, and for some reason they attributed this to me and my storytelling. Therefore, they decided not to just kill off my stock just yet. They had me defeat him at Spring Stampede and try to figure out what to do with me next. Next they put me with another person sitting out from the Flair Hogan Main Events spotlight, and that was Sting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, what what is his timeline?
Speaker 3: I know he saw slamboury ninety four, which is before this, the month before this, and uh yeah, he's definitely forgetting.
Speaker 2: That was his first match with With with the Boss Man.
Speaker 3: Says it was at Spring Stampede, which.
Speaker 2: But it was actually a Slambery. No, Slambury was the Sting match. Oh, Sammy was the thing match And this was the first time with with With the Boss Man.
Speaker 3: This I think was the second time he remembers working him as the bus and then a Guardian Angel. But it wasn't before it stings in between, I believe is what he's what he's saying. But yeah, that's pretty it's pretty funny. Like actually that sting just gets relegated back to the old Vader feud. It's like, all right, go over there. That works, like, get out of here, we clearly have no plans for you. So here he comes for the opponent, of course, from Cobb County and comes out to a song that sounds a little bit like Bad Street USA. The man who stands for law and order.
Speaker 2: And I I hate this gim it's so bad. It's so much.
Speaker 3: It's like he was a cop in WWF. He can't be a cop because that'll be too close, so we'll just make him a guardian angel.
Speaker 2: That's just another version of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just it's dreadful. The protector of ww the man who stands for lawn order. Like the fact that he's wearing a white T shirt and khakis is just deplorable. Well, that is one thing he has in common with you. He stands. He stands for lawn order, right, I do.
Speaker 2: It's very true.
Speaker 3: He once did not guilty, not ye Winkle had been stripped.
Speaker 2: Worst worst call ever? Why oh, the fucking clown was totally guilty. Yeah, you had no I wanted him to be fucking I mean, that's you know. I think I might have said is when I auditioned, he was guilty. When I auditioned, the verdict was guilty, and then they change it to not guilty.
Speaker 3: Do you think that they give you a k fabe thing for auditions so you don't go out there act like.
Speaker 2: You know it's possible. I also think they might have changed it to make it sound a little more. You know, sometimes with those shows, it's like you can't you can't always have a happy ending on a lawn or white show. You kind of need to have justice not prevail in a way because that's life, you know that that's that's that's due process.
Speaker 3: The ad a kind of walking down the courtroom steps after losing the verdict, exactly, looking looking back at the court and then walking to her.
Speaker 8: Car, you know.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, but I mean I would have liked to have had him be guilty anyway, just because he's a guy with a break, huh, not to be.
Speaker 3: They mentioned that Commission Nick Bockwinkel had stripped the Guardian Angel of his handcuffs and nightsticks, and that the Guardian Angels, the actual ones, had come to ww television taping and took him to the streets of New York to train on how to be a Guardian Angel. Okay, so Vader versus Guardian Angel here at bash at the beach and Harley gets it in so.
Speaker 2: I understand, So how do you train to be Guardian Angel? But like, are they supposed to be non violent anyway?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're supposed to be basically like a like a force that keeps troublemakers from feeling like they can commit problems without being noticed, witnessed, intimidated.
Speaker 2: Yeah they were.
Speaker 3: They roll in the streets and they helped the police and all this. So Harley gets in our Angel's face and Trailer tosses him out of the ring and you better believe Race is pumping within seconds. Oh absolutely, and that that allows Vader to pounce on Guardian Angel, and yeah, there it is. They mentioned how JV loves it. They took the eyes off of Vader and I was paying for it. Jesse Ventura of course loves that Vader did this, and he says that a Backwinkel did the right thing, taking the stick from the guy. Why should anybody be allowed in the ring with a foreign object? So Jesse's on his logic. Tip Vader with the headbutts Iris Whippen does a spinning heel kick.
Speaker 2: I swear to god. Vader does a spinning heel kick at Basher at the Beach nineteen ninety five. Yes he does, Yes he does.
Speaker 3: Takes down the Guardian. Angel Ado steps forward with a big lariat. Guardian ducks though and lifts and jumps Vader with a big backsup lex drop in.
Speaker 2: Vader's just he just leaps. He does. It's like a variation of Scena's spin out powerboard thing there, and Vader's just making noises. Oh my god, is he ever Like he's just grunting and groaning. I mean, it's it's hilarious.
Speaker 3: There's on him with the ray trailer right hands it's ray trailer and takes off the mask. Of course there's whatever ray trailer lands one of those slapping punches. This an ouf unimpact aa yep, and it takes off the Vader mask and the head gear is tony kind of like kind of like that, yeah, except that's Luger.
Speaker 2: Receiving the move.
Speaker 3: Trailer goes, oh, when he hits the guy, that's true. That's that is, that is his impact sounds much like Race with Right Invader with Oh, there's some moments in this one where he goes full Vader. Oh, yeah, totally does and the Guardian Angel scoops with a delay and slams him in the center of the ring, and Tony says, Guardian Angel goes but the credo three strikes and you are out, And we cut to Hank Aaron speaking of which next to Antonio and President W. W. Bill Shaw as Guardian Angel hits the ropes and runs over Vader with the lariat and then kicks Vader out to the floor goes out after him. Then Torris says, how do you know the TV Champion wasn't couldn't couldn't. Oh my god, does he really say this? The Champion wasn't convincing disapproval over Pearl Heart, wasn't voicing disapproval over Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 2: Oh that soundless something Jesse would say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Regal was in the ring with a nocchi and they were talking about how Regal got run run out of the ring justifiably so and and uh Jesse suggests hard.
Speaker 2: Or something to do with it. Good.
Speaker 3: Guardian Angel turns and slugs Race another big bump me to the floor from the four n W A world heavyweight champion. Race showed up in Orlando for one fucking reason, and that is to feel his back flare up from trauma. Yep, yes, okay, and it's come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on. Not alive unless he's he's not alive unless he's bumping.
Speaker 2: I bumped to live and you're gonna You're gonna bump it alive exactly. I bumped to live and I'm not dying to night. Bump me, you bitch, come on, come on, you fucking asshole. Bump me.
Speaker 3: So screaming it out loud, fucking asshole, awesome fan bump me, and Aida ambushes from behind with a big barge and then he pops him with the right in the face and Guardian Angel falls down. Race lurking and a dark green blazer and curly brown nafro blonde afro, looking like the security guard that Michael Jackson rolls dice with in the last Dance. Referee Jimmy Jett presiding. Guardian Angel goes to the apron climbs in Invader is on him.
Speaker 2: To the corner.
Speaker 3: We go and I and I fucking invite you to experience the high low coffing blows of one Vader Aida Aida, Ada, Ada a correct and then Guardian Ngel starts throwing rights and left to counter and they go to the corner. In Vader goes off again corner corners reverse whip and Guardian Angel hits and Vader does a big barge with the chest to chest and puts him down. Vader is whistling like crazy for some reason, and they're whistling. I'm thinking, should in Vader be the one to have heat with an oak, not Steve Regal, considering their respective histories, That's what?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 3: Vader goes to the mirror open leaps with a fucking sunset flip. What is Vader trying to prove?
Speaker 20: What?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: What I means? Seriously, he decided that I guess, I guess. You know he's not wrong. He's trying to prove his worth to the to the higher up. He's doing fucking middle rope sunset flip.
Speaker 3: It is hilarious that he thinks doing sunset flips it's going to be the key to prevent him from sinking further down the guard I mean, this was like a goof doing it fails, and Guardian Angel basically sits on him. Vader pokes the eye on the approach and does short arm clothesline, killing Guardian Angel, and then Vader kind of does a step over toe hold. I don't know what that was supposed to be. And Tony says, Vader has competed in Japan, so that explains why he's putting this move on.
Speaker 2: He says, he just he applies his leg lock and there are just a lot of sounds coming from all different directions here. It's put on a.
Speaker 17: Record hole a submission, hol right, you know Vader has competed in Japan, Tony on no Gate knows him very very well.
Speaker 23: Right, Japan, they love the submission, right, Maybe something metricks to Antonio.
Speaker 21: Hold on right right now, Vaders and her race pullet and break it, pullet and break its Harley race.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, break in, Vader.
Speaker 12: There's just so much going on.
Speaker 2: You cut fucking you got Rachel, Oh my god, ah, you gout, fucking Tony Chivanni trying to rationalize a wrestling hold. Then you got Harley race bracket.
Speaker 5: Come on, Vader, break heart.
Speaker 3: Bracot and absolue cacaffeany.
Speaker 2: It is just fucking insane. Now to the half Nelson. Also, I don't think I've ever fucking heard boss Man scream like that before.
Speaker 3: You know, a whole few opponents had the size to do that to the man. I guess out of the half Nelson riding the Guardian Angel is Vader. He goes to the keylock gets too and Vader just goes damn it, like he doesn't know what to do next. And then Guardian Angel goes off with uppercuts from his knees. Vader rakes the eye Guardian until starts running in place like he's the ultimate warrior. All of a sudden, it's the damnedest thing you've ever seen. Vader snatches him of the front slam climbs, Vader bomb scores Hard who's the man? Well he appeared to be right now Vader, because that was one hell of a Vader bomb. Then he goes to the middle rope. Then Turu says, the problem is he has to take his eyes off his opponent to do this one, and what does he do? Does Vader come to Orlando to settle for a middle rope Vader bomb boss? Or is there is there something else going on here?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's it's funny to me because you know, in WWE, he never he never connected with the Moon Salt, right. It was like, if he goes to the Moon Salt, you know he's not going to hit it. I don't know why they did that to him, but you knew he was never going to hit it, cause he never did. But so it always makes me think that he's going to miss it in WCW. But that's not the case. In WW. They know what to do with him. In WCW, they respected what he could do and listen and listen, all right. He wants to show the WCW brass that he's the main eventor and so he goes up top Vader four hundred and fifty pounds of just pure food, and then he decides he can sell like a fucking He could sell like a food bank shipment. Sound like something that rives on the pallet at a food kitchen. I mean, look, four hundred and fifty pounds. This guy is not right small, and what is and what does he do with that fact? What does he do with that information? He says, fuck it and he leaps as as I mean, it's like watching it's like watching a humpback whale fly, Like do do a fucking like a dolphin leap in the Battle of the water. That's what this is, okay, because the great humpback Vader sores yeah, like a bird in the air and crashes down like I do not. We all know Vader was not no one. He was tough to work with. He was tough to work with. He hits you heavy. I don't know. I don't want to know what it felt like to be the guy that was receiving the moon salt from Vader, because that just cannot be fun.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine sitting on your back and watching him go up and like that second before his big ass body hits you, you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Like the fact that more people don't naturally like either roll out of the way or like kind of grab their body or whatever, like kind of squish up is amazing.
Speaker 3: Know that they sit there flat for it, and he scores. He comes to bash to the beach, climbs to the top back right there. That right there is what is probably what I love these days about wrestling the most is that despite you know, the stiff shots that Vader was known for, you trusted him enough that when he did something like that, you weren't gonna fucking die, because really you should shot. That's probably why WWF. Yeah, maybe Freddy land on him. Maybe because he wasn't uh the time he got there. He wasn't the spring chicken he was in the Vader matches. He he was struggling to get around, and I bet it was very hard to convince somebody that he had enough control and command over his body at that point to land it where you wanted him to.
Speaker 2: I guess. I mean he certainly did land it. He certainly fucking did it.
Speaker 3: Landed on his feet a couple of times, even landed on his feet.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that at all. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think in the flag match against the Hearts, he does it. It's our foundation. So Race gets up top because they just basically even though Guardian Angel get hit with the moon salt, he certainly doesn't sell it like he's dead.
Speaker 2: He's right back up.
Speaker 3: Race gets up top and Gorilla gets Grilla pressed off the top rope because hardly Race came here to bump as well.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Guardian Angel clotheslines Vader out of the ring and Race sores to the ropes and bangs his back on the steps on the way down. They had the steps kind of center to the apron right there in the isisleway. Yeah, a couple of guys take that bump, and Race is one of them. Guardian Angel out Jode Jackson. Vader hits Race back in suplex.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? I mean, what the fuck is that about?
Speaker 10: There?
Speaker 2: It's like taking he's taking sick fucking.
Speaker 3: You don't even see him, like he just fucking He's just doing it. But he just doesn't care.
Speaker 2: If they're They're like, I'm sorry, but this just proves he has a problem, really really does. This is like the ultimate example. He has got a real addiction when it comes to bump. Really. You know, most people want to you know, take a bump off their fucking you know, off their thumb or whatever. But he wants to take a bump up for his fucking life.
Speaker 3: Hogan's here, I'm gonna show him show a bump.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I've been bumping my whole life.
Speaker 3: Dan at the bar afterwards, Flers either hardly took more bumps in the organ.
Speaker 26: And he did, damn right, I did. I always bomp, I bump more than holding more more than anybody. I'm gonna bump, bump bump life.
Speaker 3: With someone in front of me who bumps more than I do. I dare you, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna bump, bump, bump, mamma, bump bump, king the king bump fu so uh working on it.
Speaker 3: Guardian Antel souplexx Vader in from the apron big heavy lift on the impact hits him, bangs innovator. Vader backs into the referee ref sells the shoulder as if he's had his shoulder separated here by touching Vader. H Harley races that hands Vader the night stick baton, the one that flicks out when you flick your wrist yes, and Ventor goes, what the hell is that Vader's holding it up and Guardian Angel punches the shit out of Vader. Tony says, it's those I've never heard of this term. What did he say at telecopic night sticks?
Speaker 2: Whatever he said? Gorilla gorilla telescopic telescopic telescopic. I don't know if that makes any sense. It does well because it extends like a top.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, telescopic. Yes, that is what I meant to type, thank you. Yes, the e was left over from those. So Guardian Angel has that telescopic night stick, looks to the crowd.
Speaker 2: They go nuts.
Speaker 3: They want him to use it. The raff is like, what is that? And before he can even use it, he calls for the bell and that's our finish. In seven minutes fifty eight seconds, Vader defeats the Guardian Angel by disqualification. Here Patched at the Beach nineteen and ninety four, Tony. He didn't even hit him with it. He's a Guardian Angel in Vader.
Speaker 14: Give me a laptan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's a Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnassio m JP Sorrow.
Speaker 3: After the Bill clips him from behind, Valariat and then leaves, and Guardian Angel gets right up and resumes arguing with the referee. I don't know, kind of a shit show to me. I'm surprised that Vader perceived this as improving his lot. I mean, he was doing well, crazy things, but it's a mess.
Speaker 2: They did better later on. I mean they had a couple of other matches and there, and they were better. This was not their best.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: I just felt like it was kind of haphazardly going from crash course a crash course, a crash course.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I agree.
Speaker 3: So Race is cackling in the eye along with Vader.
Speaker 2: Van because they would I know, I know they would do. Was it a three way at Yes? No, No, it wasn't a three way It wasn't a three way at at the three way at.
Speaker 3: Fall brawl, him and him and Sting and Trailer, Him.
Speaker 2: And Sting and Trailer.
Speaker 8: But it was.
Speaker 2: It was, uh, the two of them again at Halloween Havoc, which was better. That was better their Halloween Havoc match, Vader and Garden Angel.
Speaker 3: He's probably congealing all of them together in his memory too. Tony says he's the Guardian Angel again. He declined to use the object, so that's that's key, and uh yeah, Ventur agrees it's referees discretion, even though it's even though the object was simply in Guardian Angel's hand and the ref didn't see him use it. It still grounds for disqualification, if only so. This is where Tony Shavani asks Ventor at ringside to comment on Hogan Flair, and Ventura leaves him hanging, says, already made my pick, nature boy Rick Flair, and he looks away, giving Tony nothing to latch into. He wants nothing to do with this time train. It's amazing. Tony says, we have behind the scenes situation here. Cruise, Chris Cruse, and Mike Tenay are backstage, and and then who walks in talking shit? Uh, someone walks in talking ship and then they come They cut back to Ventura. I wrote Terry, but that's it's not Oh Terry Funk.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: He comes in. I Ranton and Raven, but you can't hear him. They got him on mute. You can tell he's causing chaos on the I mean, listen, listen, you let that man in, You're in for trouble, all right. He's he's not gonna follow Anyone's not gonna rest until what he's I mean, someone, someone's gotta be. Someone's gotta have one foot in their grave before he's done. Then it'll be happy. Someone needs to be near death, and it needs to be because of him. They need to be talking about him exactly right. That's what he was good at. So Tony plugs the phone number of kids, get your parents finished permission, and they'll be commentary of the Flair Hogan match on the hot line as well. And then they pitched to a lot going on between the Roads and the Funk family lately. In WCW they talk about Dustin Rhodes having a tremendous match recently against Buck House Buck. They take us from April until now, a lot of things happened on the different pay per views involving Slamboree. Terry Funk gets involved. You can't get me out of here, he says, because I won't leave egg sucking dog Dusty et cetera. Dusty of course soon be involved in the program when I want to be Yo Patna and and they have the Big Hug, the Big Reunion. This is a great angle. I can whip the son of a carpenter. They say he's the son of a He's the son of a carpenter. That's what Terry Funk says. Bull rope match, Dustin wins that one Terry comes out with a branding iron and runs it, runs him over with it, and they do like a spike pile driver. They kind of fuck up big time, but they're doing the big gang warfare beat up with Colonel Parker involved as well, until officials hit the ring. This leads to Dustin trying to recruit arn Anderson as his tag team partner to take on Terry Funk and Bunk house Buck, And after a while, arn Anderson decides to do it. If I take this match, we're turning the hurting around, he tells Dustin Rhodes. My answer is yeah, I'll be glad to be your partner. Tony says, so Jesse Ventura, no, pardon me. Ventura says, Dustin couldn't pick a better guy. If he says he'll stand with you, he will go back to back with you. And of course Jesse probably knows the hill turn's coming, so he's setting that one brother beautifully.
Speaker 2: I remember all this. It's it's funny to me because I I knew all the recap because of because of Halloween havoc, because I've seen Halloween havocs so many fucking times. Yeah, as far as I watched it so many times, and so yeah, like I I've seen like they would recap the whole fucking thing all the way back to to what we're talking about here right before what you just did. Yeah, I'll be your part. Yeah, you know, like and so it was just it's always it was kind of weird for me because I'm not as familiar with this show as I am with Halloween Havoc ninety four, and so to see this and kind of see stuff play out in real time was kind of like I was like, oh shit, yeah, this is what's this is what's happening here? Like oh fuck yep, like I forgot about that. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was very much out of the you know, the Dusty Saving Flare in eighty five and they closed the cage door on them and fuck them over anyway kind of psychology. So that's, uh, that's pretty much that we do have to deal with this. I don't know what this is about. It must have been for the local promotion. I'm sure it was for the show. They cut some kind of deal with a show that I guess was prominent on FM radio the end of the time, called the Ron and Ron Radio Show. They said it's red hot, and before the matches Tonight began on pay per view, there was a very special match where Rondas and Ron Bennington from the radio show, involved a guy.
Speaker 2: Named Ron Dias, Ron Diass, Yeah, very.
Speaker 3: Fast, Eddie and Fez Watley, Molly McShane the wrestlers is involved female wrestler and they're empty seats in the front row. Jimmy Hard is the referee. They would do these like Man Cow and a couple Bubba. They would just, you know, in exchange forgetting promotion for the show on the most listened to Drive TOFF radio show, they would allow the DJs to do fucking matches in the dark match.
Speaker 2: It's really stupid.
Speaker 3: But why they put it on the pay per view Maybe that was part of the deal.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I have no clue.
Speaker 3: They're running into each other, barely doing anything, and they roll up Molly McShane, who was a wrestler for the one two three, with Ron Diaz in her corner and Jimmy Hart raises her hand. All I can tell you about Ron and Ron is this letter that was printed in the Tampa Bay Times in nineteen ninety three before they were back on the air missing Ron and Ron. This is from Al Sason clear Water regarding the Rod and Ron morning radio show. So Ron and Ron is gone and gone. The Times has shown its approval of the change by placing its editorial imprimature on the departure by its cartoon depiction of the disinfecting of the Bad Boys studio. Admittedly, R and R engaged in a bit of blue humor and sarcastic treatment of some of the many sexual happenings in this area. Thankfully we won't miss their descriptions and references to any of those events since The Times, I am sure will continue giving prominence to those salacious stories about cops seducing kids or the occasional predatory actions of coaches, clergy and medical practitioners. R and R strong support of local sports teams, fundraising for the needy, support of charities and disadvantaged kids, et cetera, can all be taken over by the likes of kindly Rush Limbaugh. If Limbaugh's loyal lemmings all buy more of his books, t shirts, coffee mugs and newsletters, I am sure he would send some of that money to the Bay Area. The Bad Boys spoofing of sex, religion, and race is easily replaced by Limbaugh's witty bashing of female leaders, liberals, black speech, mannerisms, et cetera. I would rather that kids listened to R and R than Rush windbag Oops, sorry about the R and R humor CBS Blewett. Al Sachs concludes, so have some of its other three letter dinosaur brothers like ib M, R, C A, and g OP. I missed the show, even though my neck is white and so are my whiskers. Al Sachs fired up that Ron and Ron, which apparently they were sort of like, you know, shock jock types. Yeah, one of the top rated, uh, one of the top rated morning radio shows in the Tampa Bay area throughout the nineties, right up until until this, and they would have a lot of you know, innuendo and stuff. They're basically doing this, you know, everyone trying to do their local stern you know version. Of course, a lot of double entendres jokes about menstrual cycles. I'm seeing here, you know how it goes in the nineties, But that's what they were looking for.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, it's just yeah, awful.
Speaker 3: And Toura thinks Tony could have beaten the Sassy Boys who were in the match. Would you be tag team partner? Get Lois. He says that Tony Giavanni's wife, who now has become kind of a cult figure.
Speaker 2: In her own right, do a shout I know it, so that's really funny.
Speaker 3: A shout outs on Tony's podcast, I would have no clue watching in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: Who the hell?
Speaker 3: Yes, he was talking. No gat Lois shoes better. It's the Kid of the Kid now on the Apron with one of those ron shirts, and Tony thanks them for helping promote Bash of the Beach and says the time has come for the tag team the grudge match, if you will. Bunk house Buck shows up with the trailer and the septic tank. He's going to dump in the city storm drain in in National Lampoon's cristification. I mean, he looks exactly like Oh he.
Speaker 2: Does look like because he looks like fucking Randy. That's got to be what they were going for with this look, man, because it's too spot on. I mean, I I really I never thought that until watching this show, and I wrote that that's crazy. I wrote down that he fucking bunk house Buck looks like Randy Quaid.
Speaker 3: Just think, especially like Randy Quaid. Then on this one for us both in isolation to think of it. Yeah, so yeah, Terry Funk comes out crazy as fuck, threatening a backhand fans and that that a Chris guy from the Garden is there, the Vlad's buddy. They cut to him several times playing his role. Now that I realize and know to look for him, this resting fan from Manhattan. Every time they cut to Summer holding up a page of the WCW magazine, it happens to be him. I'm like, Okay, that's how it worked. Oh really, that's how it worked. A Funker stepping through the ropes, pointing, gesturing, threatening, of course, Colonel Robert Parker shaking hands with the referee like it's all a formal occasion. JV calls him the Jesse Ventura calls him. The Colonel's a gentleman, he says, are an interesston In, Dustin Rhodes walk out for pretty cool music. They look good out there together as a tag team, but it would be short lived. Dustin, of course, with that sparkly jacket with the CAC dye and shit on it and Arned with the standard teamster's jacket, like he just came off the shift. I mean, I don't know if you knew this about Dustin Rhoades, but he's not true.
Speaker 8: Did you know?
Speaker 3: That doesn't look like he's on the juice? But it does surprise he didn't. I'm said, he didn't have that song this time. He's got the natural song. They call him not true, not drue, they do. They call them unnatural, unnatural. They should have they should have had him have that same theme song when he came out of gold dust. That's a great idea, first time idea, arn Anderson. The only thing he's missing is a thermost and he'd be ready to put in a fucking eighteen hour trucking shift. So Funk puts the fist stop talking shit right out of the gate. In this one threatening the backhand, Ventur references Roads and the Funk family and their history, and Ventur remembers Funk in a one hour nineteen seventy six match he had with him in Seattle soured.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's the one. That's the one that was this one hour thing. It wasn't an noch, it was it was this thing.
Speaker 3: I can see you looking for that one much more than I can see. You try to find the Enoke match. Yeah, I was like, those are seventy Terry Funk is impossible. He had the world title and you can hardly find any defenses.
Speaker 2: I know he did wrestle Funk. I did find him Jesse Wrestling, but not not to not to a draw. He Funk won two out of three falls. Oh really and the one that I yeah, the one that I found it was I think it.
Speaker 3: Was him going around the country defending the WA world title. That's that was right, and go right to Don Owens. It's pretty wild and I'd love to see that match actually see how that worked back then, I know. So Double A and Buck lock up, break Funk standing on there a rope barking at arn Anderson. Is that the best you got? Trying to get in his head? Buck wants Dustin roads, so Double A obliges. Dustin comes in, throwing like crazy and knocks down Bunk house Buck and the crowd likes it. Terry Funk comes in, gets cut off, throws himself into the rail and lunges back into the ring, and Dustin just takes it to him all over again. Funk getting pushed around and does the plank walk off. The apron comes up like he's gonna throw hands at Meng. Meng is the big intimidating bodybuilder that would come to the ring with the studs table, and he's there and is looking like a bouncer with his sunglasses on, and Funk is so out of his mind he steps to Meng because he thinks he's a foe too, and may Men just looks at him, doesn't even lynch fucking hack Coo exactly.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget.
Speaker 3: Fucking uh king Tonga body slamming John's stule.
Speaker 2: Right here.
Speaker 3: Lock up to the rope, s Terry Funk chipping away, elbow to the head, to the gut, winding big time shots, slams Dustin down on the canvas. There's a headlock push off and a tackle down goes Dustin Rhoades get up. Terry screams as he hits the rope, screaming get up the whole time while he's in motion. It's fucking funk. And then Dustin Rhodes meets him with slams. He slams buck and tosses Terry right out of the ring. Checks the referee before he goes out after him.
Speaker 2: That's that's over the top rope, right, is that when we sends him over the top. I didn't know if it was top rope or not. Well, because they do have the you know, you know, Jesse's not a fan of that. He goes over the top rope and the referee doesn't do nothing.
Speaker 1: Yes, shut up, yeah, shut up?
Speaker 8: Over the.
Speaker 23: Right up to the one.
Speaker 10: Now come, you're up yelling no somebody, Well, any time it happens to your favorites, you sit.
Speaker 8: And yell about it.
Speaker 5: Now, when Dustin Rhodes doesn't, you say nothing.
Speaker 17: I think the special circumstances dictate.
Speaker 10: And you call me a politician, yeah you oh yeah, right, special circumstances dictate.
Speaker 3: It, Celco.
Speaker 2: He's such a trick. Oh god, special circumstances dictator.
Speaker 3: There's not anything you can say he's Jesse Ventura that he won't turn around and say in that exasperated tone of.
Speaker 2: Voice, oh he's gonna buy the salary. It's like, yeah, like that.
Speaker 3: You told me last week. He doesn't like buying, and now he's is he buying Celery? Now, come on, when he's not gonna buy it? But the second he buys it. There's a problem. So then he says, oh, special circumstances dictated. He fuck YOSHEV. We're gonna make exceptions now in an equal country. I thought all men were created equal under God. I guess the Declaration of Independence of the Bill of Rights doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 2: Do you Hey, what happened to due process?
Speaker 18: I have it?
Speaker 2: Do you have it here in the w c W I have Tony, I got my union. I got my union. I don't need your union, Tony, I've got mine.
Speaker 19: Me.
Speaker 3: Jesse says the Screen Actors Guild. Does that mean Dusty the wily veteran doing that with the referee not looking? And does it make him a wily veteran? And Tony says, sometimes, you know, you got to do what you got to do. A man's got to do what a man's got to do. And Vandora says, I just want you to remember that quote Shavani Shivani's thing in the back of his head. You're not long for this world, Jess, So I'll be glad to keep it in right.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Funk and Dustin mixing it up, lock up, Funk to the waistlock Dustin hits atomic to both members of the opposition, and Irish whips bunk House Bunk into Terry Funk in the corner and then it lands a downtown right hand and then a snap mare and an elbow drop by Dustin. Rhodes goes back to the headlock standing, but Funk lifts and dumps Dustin tough with a high backsuplex. So let's not forget under the lapsed Funk history here that this is Terry going back to WCW for the paycheck. When he's telling everybody who'll listen on the indies about how he's just gonna have to rough it because he can't stand being controlled by the big two. And he says that before he goes to this WSW and after he comes back hilarious, of course that's the Funker Terry and all four is jabbing at the head and Dustin comes up reaching for anything he can get his hands on and spinning around, he gets his hands on bunk house Buck, but then bunk house Buck whips Dustin into the ropes ducks and Dustin does a flying cross body and you know how that goes. When he misses it. He stumbled in WCW. He not only crashes to the canvas, but he rolls momentum wise under the bottom rope and then go down the flight of stairs. Right, that's that's a that's a bump the dustin roads decides he's going.
Speaker 2: To take in w CW. I mean, look, I mean, I don't know, I don't know what the fuck he's thinking. I don't know why he's doing that. But man, flight of stairs, it is like, you know, and these are wooden so sharp edges, they don't they don't look like they've been well sanded, you know. I just I mean, and that ain't nothing to what fucking steamboat does. It's nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those steps are fucking steps tempt people to do things. So funks on him in the aisle, goes unto the rail men. Tauris's Funk will wrestle in the ring if the ring happens to be there, and to cries all the garbage that Johnny b Bad left out at ringside looks like they're wrestling in a garbage bit. He says, whatever a garbage pit is. Uh, Funk kicks the ribs.
Speaker 2: Hey, it looks like they're wrestling in a garbage pit. You have one of those in your backyard shown the Minnesota thing, Jess Tony, what are you saying about Minnesota? You're talking trash. That's funny, you talking garbage pit about Minnesota, you bitch.
Speaker 9: Sunday, August third, at noon, the last Fan takes on Times Square tickets at Comedy Village dot com. There goes the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: You fucking bitch, Funk, you fucking bits the ribs of Dustin. Rhodes rolls him back into Bunk house Buck, who rains down punishment. Buck digging knees into the kidneys of Dustin roads and a camel clutch is applied and he abandons it and starts pulling at the hair. Buck then slams Dustin and stomps him, puts the abdominal stretch on funky yanks on Buck's arm for some extra leverage from the apron. Bunk actually waves in Terry and he clubs him. Does the funker. Nick Patrick gets in his face over the fact that Terry Funk did not tag in, and they both win mil the punches felling Dustin. Arnt gets in kind of half heartily pretending that he's here to save Dustin, but doesn't do much. And then you kind of realize at that point not much from Arden so far in this match, High No tagged out and just been kind of hanging out.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: Terry Funk with a hangman's new neck breaker, rocks Dustin roads on a delay, gets a two count, then as a pile driver, spiking Dustin into the canvas, and another one with a great delay by the Funker. He knew how to throw those pile drivers like he really had to struggle.
Speaker 2: To get you out, you know, just brutal. Yep, absolutely and double.
Speaker 3: He does get in and peel Funk off on the cover, back up, headlock, push off tackle. Dustin goes down. Terry hits the ropes all wobbly legged and falls off towards Bunk house Buck and then flails like a fish to make the tag. What a pro Terry Funk is. Buck gets his job. He's just making every step count. You can't take your eyes off the ring when he's in there doing his thing. Bunk house Buck comes in Funk still spelling all over the floor.
Speaker 2: At ringside.
Speaker 3: Dustin hits Buck, who swings at the wind, regains and dodges back after him, goes back after him, and he rams Dustin into the corner. Funk holds Dustin open and Bunk goes to work on dust in front, face locked by Bunk house Buck, trying to prevent Dustin from making any kind of attag. Buck tags Terry Funk, who gets all over dustin Roads again. DOUBLEA comes in and grabs the ref, like what the hell is going on here? Ref backs him up. Dustin trying to fight out of the corner, but he's double team because the ref is attracted back elbows. He starts hitting back and then finally people are going off as he's turning as dustin Roads is trying to put together a rally here he throws elbows for both. They start doing the big Florida whoa who every time he lands yep yeah, and both take the bums Dust and then whips Bunk into fuck wait a minute, fuck fuck or Buck into Funk and Funk. Hilariously, Pratt falls on top of Bunk house Buck all up on his legs and shit, he's gone. Funk actually looks like he's so absent minded and messed up that he's trying to pin Bunk house Buck, and ventre goes he's pinning the wrong guy. I just want you to picture the disheveled, disoriented manic Terry Funk just like stumbling all over the rings such that he ends up on top of his own partner in the frakes.
Speaker 2: He's a fucking He's a fucking man. I think that's the take home point. He's a fucking man.
Speaker 3: Irish whip Funker goes up and over in a high backdrop courtesy of Dustin Roads, who whips Buck in and sends him over to he runs Terry Funk into bunk house. Terry's walking around like a broken toy in there, flip flop and fly from Dustin and tribute to his daddy to Terry Funk clothesline. Butck goes up and over the top rope, Terry sitting Duck in the center of the ring and Irish whip and Dustin hits a jumping clothes line, goes for cover number gets one. As Buck comes out on top, Dustin cuts him off, crotches him, toss his bunk Buck into Funk. Tony says that Dustin wanted it to be a one man fight and just have arn Anderson his backup, so that explains why Dustin's doing all the fighting here, Arn was really only recruited to come in if it gets really intense. That's kind of create a psychological reason why Arn doing nothing in this match is fine by Dustin Rhodes and not already considered a betrayal of such. Finally, Torno Parker gets up on the apron and boom, Dustin nails him. Finally, the tag from Dustin Rhodes to the enforcer who comes in all fired up like he's gonna start really handing out beatings to Terry Funk and Bunk house Buck.
Speaker 2: And then what does he do? Then? What does arm do? As only let's let's let's let's just listen to it, okay, and.
Speaker 5: D Dustin.
Speaker 3: Jesse with a good cell there, ye aren't just DDT's the fuck just gets in there like he's like he's got the fists up, he's ready to go. And then he just immediately without any kind of breaking the plane, any kind of change in his countenance, he's turns around and DDT's dustint like that's gonna happen now, God damn it, and it does. He plants him yep, and spectatic great Horseman turn here at a bash of the beach a Horseman, member of the Horseman, not not the four Horsemen per se, and then again arn Anderson putting Terry Funk on top of Dustin Roads four the one, two three, as you heard so. In eleven minutes and fifteen seconds, Terry Funk and Punk house Buck defeat Dustin Roads and Arn Anderson here at Bash of the Beach nineteen ninety four. They're all together now, and of course Arn Anderson this forward would be part of the stud stable, thus participating in the nineteen ninety four Fall Brawl War Games cage match where Colonel Parker leaves a little gift for everybody in Winston Salem and into a right out of the blue Chavanni. Who what a thought? Well, I don't know anybody that studied arn Anderson for the past decade. They hold Dustin down, and just to get further to the nineteen eighty five angle, they break Dustin's arm, just as the Horseman broke Dusty's arm in the steel cage in the Omnia nineteen eighty five. They do the big group assault angle. Dustin is screaming in agony, doing his best sale job. Meng is in there stomping too. Parker even hugs the ref, which hilarious, like the ref is jubilant.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know right, trying to keep it's just the whole thing is just fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: I love doing it, also half doing it to keep the ref out of their business.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Finally, things don't calm down until fucking Greg Gania in a suit hits the ring. That's all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: I mean that is him, right, That's that is what I saw. Yeah, he was one.
Speaker 3: He's working as an agent back then. Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: I mean, just just seeing him come out just makes me fucking just wamp wamp, you know, I know he seriously is. He's such a fucking Debbie downer just seeing him exist as a Debbie Downer and.
Speaker 3: Tour says, and here he was your hero before tonight, Shavanni orn Anderson was. There's one guy jumping like crazy heat.
Speaker 2: He was one of your favorites, but not anymore.
Speaker 3: So great, Hey, when they replay the turn, you can see one guy right next to the aisle just jumping up and down. He's so excited and aren't turned on Dustin And uh, that's great. Steff Tony says, was he bought off or something? And the nice jaws. Serendipity is they use the shark transition effect there.
Speaker 2: It's true. That is true.
Speaker 3: In the aisle, perhaps one of the most disgusting, despicable things I have ever seen. Greed has had to have reared.
Speaker 2: It's ugly.
Speaker 3: Had something is a miss Arn, who do you think you are? You want to talk to me? Come back to the party. Arn says, we're celebrating right now. Jane just gives up. Jeane says a bunch of words, a true word salad, and pitches to Tony.
Speaker 2: He's such an he's so fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: Tony says, possible broken arm. Here we're dealing with. He mentioned Hank, Aaron who gives some waves to the people and has no problem with what he just saw. He tells everyone he's enjoying himself very much.
Speaker 2: They ask him here, this is just fucking great. He doesn't even know who's wrestling Hank. Karen does not give a shit.
Speaker 23: Hank, thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: I tell you, we're seeing some great action tonight.
Speaker 2: It's like there and I'm enjoying myself very much.
Speaker 17: In just a few moments, Rick Flair and Halkoga the match everybody's been waiting for, who you think's gonna win.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm pulling for both of them, no doubt. Hank's gonna run.
Speaker 23: For president in four years.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: I'm a great politician.
Speaker 23: Well, Hank, it's always good having you with us here.
Speaker 2: Thank you gram so much. And I'm sure everybody's enjoying themselves. I'm happy to be thank you very much.
Speaker 23: Heyk Karen the all time home run champion with us here. That's one of our many celebrities on hand.
Speaker 5: So so hit her.
Speaker 2: He didn't try to do what he can.
Speaker 3: Dude, come up, say Hulk Hogan, how hard is that governor of Maryland? You should have used him for this? Seriously, Tony plugs fall brawl with the tank and everything and the match beyond, and they they promise it's going to be part of it again this year. As Heenan goes on to say the Dustin Rhodes had it coming and he should Terry and Company should have beat the whole family up. And Dusty's going to bring the pickup truck. And he says, Dusty, bring the pickup truck and take.
Speaker 2: Your kid home. And Tony brings up a good point. Boss.
Speaker 3: He says, what do Dustin Roads and Molly McShane have him come in this particular evening, and probably Missy Hyatt?
Speaker 8: What is it?
Speaker 3: I don't remember they took on two men at one time. Oh, brother Gene is with Flair, with Sherry as well. She's sensuous, by the way, not scary anymore.
Speaker 2: No, no, yes, she's definitely the sensuous Sherry.
Speaker 3: He's got the black gloves and the face paint now and Slair's got the big gold belt.
Speaker 2: How about double A? Is he back? Rick says? I guess he is? Oh, here, here we go.
Speaker 16: Let's listen to Flair, all right, Tony Schavani, I'm with Censure with Sherry and the TUBBEDYCW heavyweight Champion of.
Speaker 1: The world with a big smile, a big grin on his face.
Speaker 5: Rick Clair, how about double A?
Speaker 23: How about it?
Speaker 5: Is he back? I guess the Dustin Rhodes. What's he gonna do with double A? Runs wild?
Speaker 16: You've got other things to contemplate tonight the biggest match of your career, Rick Clair, There is no doubt about it. Standing pie on the wings to challenge you for this title. It's none other than Haulkogan.
Speaker 20: I walked in the door, they said, Natum, rick as Ow standing room only, Dusty Hogan and Flair go at it for this, I said, boys, that's just.
Speaker 23: The way the hookster and the next.
Speaker 10: You want waters, we want it sold out, we want it live, We want a worldwide.
Speaker 23: Dignitaries from all points of the world are here.
Speaker 5: And Noocchi, Hey, Garon Herbard, Hey, Thankes, Sjaq, you and the they're all here.
Speaker 27: But to the why, because the greatest of all time is gonna walk do aisle and tonight the importal ones because history rites.
Speaker 5: Said to us one.
Speaker 23: Yes, right, Gene Oakland.
Speaker 5: For years and.
Speaker 1: Years you've been saying to be the man, you got to beat the man.
Speaker 5: Rick Flair is always the man. Rick Flair has nothing to prove.
Speaker 23: You, Hulk Hogan are the challenger.
Speaker 1: You, Hulk Hogan, are the one that had a failing career. You Hulk hogans have to beat the man to be the man.
Speaker 20: We are lives right, kiss Stealing Wheeling, Galas win us and Champions of the w C.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It's great promo. It is a good promo. Excited.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of thing they should have put on TBS before the show. Yeah, agreed, So steamboats music hilarious. I know his w W music is very odd hard it'djust to yeah, no, man, hold on, I can do. I gotta I listen to it because it's it has a it's very it is very weird here. I guess it's called opening ceremony.
Speaker 2: Monimaima boom boom boom MANI bom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom ba boom boom boom boom boom boer purper bo bur purperer bo.
Speaker 18: Boom.
Speaker 2: It's weird. Yeah, it's a manimum. It takes a lot to get used to. Yeah, it's not it's not, it's not very This is a.
Speaker 3: Point when you know he's fucking Ricky steamboat. He was Ricky Steamboat to the Max in eighty nine. For you guys, he was Rocky Steamboat to the Max in mid Atlantic before ever going to events. You don't have to have him come back wearing the fucking dragon costume.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, i'll tell you what. I'll tell you what. I I don't mind the wings as long as he's not wearing the fucking headdress. The headdress is really the worst.
Speaker 15: Like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's weird, like he's bringing his WWE thing. Basically, it's very it's very pathetic. It's kind of like bringing ray trailer in calling him the boss. It's like, really, I know, I mean it's it's just it's weird that he's you know, they're bringing in like everything. But because he's he wears the shoulder things, he wears the little medallion on the on the chest. He's just not wearing the stupid fucking hat, which I'm grateful for because the hat's the worst part of it all. I can deal with a little, with a little, you know, a little costume here and there. You know. It's the wings aren't as bad as they were in w They're they're shorter than they were, so again, not as bad. I do like the tights. I think the tighter is the best. I like the tights. I've always liked those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like him too. But he's got the torch. He's blowing fire. It's worldan what it's concerning, Tony says, fitting on a night like this, that Ricky steamboat get a title shot. That guy from New York I mentioned from before, He's got the Steamboat magazine, page wide open for the cameras, and Ricky does the fire breathing, and I don't know if Bonnie's at Ringsidne. I don't know if he's still even with her at this point, but they kind of cut to somebody makes me think it's it's his wife. Bobby Heenan calls Ricky Steamboat a human bic as in a lighter. And here comes Austin to the Hollywood Blondes music and tin.
Speaker 2: Pank sing kang kang.
Speaker 25: Ye?
Speaker 2: What a walk? What a hair? What ahead of hair he's got? He's you know, the Austin Steamboat feud one of the most memorable. I mean because this is when I I said, this is when I started watching WW much more regularly, and so this was the feud this was for me. Austin Steamboat is one of the w CW feuds, no question, you know, quintessential yep, And it was. And I love their matches and yeah, it's really it's this few that made me a fan of Steve Austin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is what puts on display how much of a three tool blayer he was? Five tool whatever I'm going to say, Yeah, yeah, really great stuff. Title on his waist US title smirk, the eyes wild to like kind of just trying to picture his hair being shaved off. This is actually, you know, I thought of stunning. Steve Austin is just appearing so visually distinct from Stone Cold. But when I watched this, I like, I can see him maybe it's gonna get the black trunks on.
Speaker 2: He's also got a little bit of that Stone Cold swaggers is what it is. Yeah. Yeah, he's kind of doing a little bit more of that. He's he's not just you know, the the you know, pretty boy character. He's a little bit more badass, like I don't give a shit. Yep.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And for him, as we know, it would only be a matter of time before the FedEx envelopes in the mail from Bischoff and he is fired amidst an injured arm and all kinds of static And this is, you know, no excuses. He's he's he's performing his ass off. He's got the black trunks look down. At least he's got the rap going. You know, if you didn't see money in Steve Austin, then you probably don't deserve to have a decision making position in the wrestling business.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't be what exactly you should not be behind the scenes wrestling because this he's he looks like a'm fucking money player here. Yep.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and you know it would it would follow Austin as far as how he felt about Hulk Cogen. It starts here and it carries all the way to O two when they refused to work with him when he came in. Yeah, they're vitalized, nWo. And all those years later, Hulk sits down with a stone cold for his podcast and Austin traces it right back to ninety four.
Speaker 22: You're immediately you know, you don't need to be shined up. But I mean, in theory you're the baby face, but but you don't need to be shined up. You're fighting from underneath the entire match.
Speaker 5: It made sense.
Speaker 28: It was there from the moment we walked in the rings, such as it would have been there if you would have ever wrestled me. That's what would have happened. It would have been we could have looked at each other and the roof would have blown off the place. You were so over at the time, and they hated me so much from trying to put w W out of business for ten years. They would have been great. But I'll get off that now. We'll get that's in my craw brother, that I never got to work with you, dude.
Speaker 22: I was in such a different headspace back when that window of opportunity presenting yourself, and sometimes I kicked myself in the ass over it. And I think, man, I don't know, I just kind of I was so frazzled towards the end. I was just in a bad space and I don't know, I just it never happened, and it should have happened. But you know what, what I think if we could have just gotten in a room, you and I and just just just talked, because you know what, you probably never told you probably never knew this, But I was down. And we're gonna jump back to a little bit of you know stuff back in the early days of WWF. But you remember when you had, you know, those headline, those eight seven out of eight WrestleManias down then down there in WWF. You left, man, what ninety three ninety two, but you ended up in ww You ended up in WCW in ninety four, Yeah, ninety four, Okay, I remember all of a sudden the word on the street. I'm starting, Steve Man, I'm I'm upcoming. I'm gonna be the next Ric Flair. Well, we always know that there's never gonna be another Rick Flair, There's never gonna be another hun Kogan. There's only gonna be the next whoever you are. But all of a sudden, here comes the biggest attraction in the history of the business.
Speaker 2: To w CW.
Speaker 22: And I'm thinking, great. And you know, I'm sitting there right across from you, wearing your house and I say this with respect because I've respected your career, but I'm thinking, Okay, here comes the top of traction in the world. He's coming to w c W. I was fine when you were in WWL, but all of a sudden you come down there, and now I'm another nice father down the letter. And I always had this grudge against you because now you know you were the guy. Now, how am I going to overtake this when I can't even get past you know, three quarter mid cart status.
Speaker 23: So there was always that grudge, and it was competitive.
Speaker 22: I was like, man, why is this guy here?
Speaker 5: Now? Well, I know why you're here.
Speaker 22: Now, you know, in retrospect, when I look when I look back, but when you're in the trenches and you're in the ring here and there's that competitive part. You watch NBA players or Major League Baseball players, NFL players talk about another player, they'll they'll put them over to a degree, but it's never very much because it's so competitive. The same with our business. Just back when I was I would say, talk about Sewn Michaels. These days, I call him the greatest entering performer of all time as far as execution and being able to do everything. Back in the day, a.
Speaker 2: High spot artist.
Speaker 22: You know, that was my perception back in because I couldn't put him over then, and so anyway, it was always this thing. And then all of a sudden I turned into stone cold, and then you come back from w CW where I got squashed down another notch. But I think if we'd have ever gotten to a room and had a just a chill conversation, we probably could have done business together, and that'd probably be one of the I guess it is one of the biggest regrests of my career.
Speaker 14: Keep the last fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Corn and JP Soro.
Speaker 3: So he says a lot there, basically, you pissed you pissed me off, and that's why I didn't want to work with you.
Speaker 2: But uh, what could have been?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know, if he could have, if he could have lobbied to work with he had been like a like a Paul Orndorf opponent to hul Coke, and potentially I feel.
Speaker 2: Like, oh yeah, oh in uh in in w c W. Absolutely yeah, absolutely, I mean that that would have been. That would have been huge, huge, But I for everybody, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Hacksaw Jim Duggan's attached to Hull Cochin at the hip from the very beginning on this show. He's one of the people that welcomes Hulk in the back. And it would be Hacksaw Jim Duggan that would totally run over Steve Austin in four seconds to take this US title from him. And that's when we knew it was curtains for Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the.
Speaker 3: Drama follows the drama that starts here in nineteen ninety four between Hull Coke and Steve Austin. Most of course on the Steve Austin side. I'm sure Hulk big league Steve just like a big league just about anybody else that was perceived as you know, being upper crust before he got there. We go to WWF and it still doesn't happen.
Speaker 28: A lot of people don't realize that certain.
Speaker 3: This is Hulk trying to explain why people would have felt like he big leagued them, but of course he had no He's just you don't know what's going on in hul Cochin's head. He's got a lot of stresses going on.
Speaker 28: A lot of people don't realize that certain You got to treat people on a case by case basis, and certain people have a grudge or a heart on, or they don't misunderstand, or they're out of their mind, or they're consumed with something because it could be business or personal, or a lady could drive you crazy your fee. You just don't know what's going on. And when I went down to WCW, I had some personal stuff at home that I would walk down the hallway and there would be twenty people in the hallway and I didn't see anybody. I was out of my mind. I was so worried about my home life and the problems I were having at home. That you know, stuff happened, and I don't mean to call anybody out, but stuff happened, for instance, where I was and maybe this was in the WWF for whatever it was. When I went back for the raw, I was fifteenth anniversary. But I walked in the dress room there and there was a guy there named cm Punk. I didn't know who he was, and I heard I had heat because when I came back, I didn't say, oh it doing when I walked through the hall. But I remember that night flying in with RVD from California, and I was going through so much crap on the phone when I landed, and my whole life was falling apart from home that when I walked through that dress room, Brother, all I could think about was I just need to get home and fix my life falling apart. And I don't remember seeing meeting, talking or disrespecting anybody that day, but I had to live with that because I was in that space at the.
Speaker 2: Time, you know.
Speaker 28: So I went to the WWE and I knew I was working with the rock. I'm all about making the money, brother, and as a heel. I could put anybody over and go back the next week, say stone Hold never beat me. I mean I could lie in my ass off. So and so when I got the reaction I had with the rock, my sites were set on you.
Speaker 2: Of course they were.
Speaker 3: But now Steve is in the position to flip it around on you from what you did in WW and so fuck you. How about that exactly? That's what happens.
Speaker 2: You made your pal.
Speaker 3: And the fact that Austin dude people to do that too. I make Heathers Clem's bed. But and the fact that Hulk Cogin's in ming WWW. Steve Austin is cooking with a Rickeys steamboat and underneath this just.
Speaker 2: Fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he attacks a steamboat from behind as steamboats just getting ready and getting his gear off and hauling off of those wide right hands. His stunning Steve, Oh yes, he is good. Throw from way downtown and.
Speaker 2: Again just totally underrated as this as this particular character.
Speaker 3: Absolutely driving his knee into the draped knee of Ricky steamboat steam but of course comes back with chops.
Speaker 2: Out of the corner. You know the drill.
Speaker 3: You know, a steamboat comes back against the ropes. Austin has dragon Slayer written on white letters and his black trucks.
Speaker 2: I love the dragon Slayer and Tights give it to me all day, every day, twice on Sunday, you mother fucking bit love it.
Speaker 3: Austin keeps sick, sticking the knee, kicking the knee out when Steamboat tries to launch a comeback, step over toe hold kind of deal, and Steve Austin gets kicked off into the ring post, and Tony is ticking off all the titles that Steve Austin has won.
Speaker 2: Oh this is no, no, no, it's it's what Steamboats won. This is fucking hilarious. Fucking Heaton chimes in.
Speaker 17: Steamboat's first title was the television title, and he bet Rick Flair.
Speaker 23: To become the television champion years ago. He's been the World heavyweight champion.
Speaker 17: Eight times, the World tag team Champion, US Champion on many occasions.
Speaker 23: Who he hit the ring posts? One of the greats in our sport.
Speaker 2: What do you do right?
Speaker 5: Resumes for Steamboat.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 2: How defeated is no?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's so defeated, says He's saying all these things for the benefit of fans watching for the first time. So there course telling themselves that a lot of people are watching for the first time. You know, they might be watching WCW for the first time, but I don't think they're completely unfamiliar with Rickey Steamboat.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong, Yeah, yeah, I mean they should know who, you know what Rocky Steamboats at.
Speaker 3: Any fan that Hulk brings w Stebby for the first time is gonna know who Rocky Steamboat is. So Steamboat walks the ropes and rains down an ax handle and slams Austin on the hammer lock. Tony says that our Colonel Parker was, of course, formally Steve Austin's Managerbert Parker thought he was best suited Austin was to be on his own. So that's that's interesting. I never really sat sat and thought about how those two separated, and I guess there wasn't anything formal or a big angle or anything. It's just they drifted apart.
Speaker 2: I guess to the corner they.
Speaker 3: Go, Austin hits the gut back yelbow, Steamboat chops out of the corner. Austin goes to the middle rope inverted, and Steamboat hits a drop kick, and Austin gets hung upside down on the rope. Steamboat goes to the floor and slams the right hand and steve Austin's head. Austin can't go anywhere. He's trapped in the tree of woe. And then Austin, even here hits the.
Speaker 2: Ca a weird one. It's weird. It's over the apron right right, good point, like it's not it's not the tree of woe like normal. It's like he's outside the ring. It's very bizarre.
Speaker 3: He's very much in a tree of woe. Yes, oh yeah, we can lowercase the term. And Austin is flailing about, even hits the cameraman and makes it foggy and streaks the lens a little bit because he's flailing about so much. And then Austin gets the referee and stumbles down into the robes with no control whatsoever. Steamboat tucks in a book or t like standing sidekick, and then h's an arm drag, puts on the arm wringer. The whip is reversed over and over again, but finally Ricky Steamboat kicks Austin. Kind of an awkward cross up there. They have a few moments in this match, kind of like that Steamboat floors him with a chop and puts on an armbar in Austin slapping the shoulder as you have to do, right.
Speaker 2: We talked about that. Just physically it's important. I mean, listen, you need to get the blood flowing. Ye okay, that's what matters his whole coach.
Speaker 3: He says he understands that hul Coging's dressing room right now was jammed with security. Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: There's got to be five hundred people back there. Yeah, most of them are signed to one for sting. Austin tries to leap frog and collapses, clutching the knee that had been worked on, and Tony recognized it is an old Hollywood blonde trick to pretend to feign a knee injury, and indeed he was right. He says, they should give him a twenty minute rest here for the.
Speaker 2: This is fucking great.
Speaker 1: That's an old Hollywood blod trick.
Speaker 23: We Steamboat doesn't realize that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 15: The fans here no why he was just hung upside down while the pressure was on his knee.
Speaker 23: Now they should give him about a twenty minute rest here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what why it happened outside the ring?
Speaker 2: Okay, Hemp and outside the ring it makes sense, I agree.
Speaker 3: Steamboat says fuck it and stops taking it easy and stomps him in the corner. Austin talking up a storm. In the process, Colin spots hip toss drop kick. Austin falls to the floor and Flare flops down on the outside. He is pointing to his knee indicating it it's hurt. He says he's not playing possum. His knee is hurt, and Austin stands and does a time out gesture.
Speaker 2: I think that was Ruth.
Speaker 3: Blay on the hardcam side. Later on, Hulk does say, indeed his parents were in attendance, and I think you catch a quick glimpse of them here. At this moment, Austin drags Wicky Steamboat out, chip away, and Tony starts and chops away, and Tony starts going okay, now, as they're hitting hard and Steamboat chops, he says it must be a trick mee on Steve Austin, that's right, Trickney. As Austin runs like a cry baby back into the ring with absolutely no mobility problems whatsoever. And uh he's got his speedback. Imagine, okay, see Austin flying around the ring. You see him just like a springing human super bowl in there. I'm to consider a Steve Austin who could run like this, a stone cold Steve Austin, and WWF who could listen.
Speaker 2: That's that's all we dream about. Okay, that's all we ever wanted. We wanted in Austin who could be a bad ass but also do the fucking work that he was doing during this time. This is this is the magic. This is where it all fucking mattered. He was the most to appreciated member of the roster in many ways. I might disagree with that. I don't care. I think he was totally just misused in w CW he could have been. I mean, listen, I'm grateful that he that he was misused, you know, because I mean would have never gotten Steve Austin.
Speaker 3: Are you excited when he came over as ringmaster?
Speaker 2: Fucking thrilled, thrilled. I when I saw him, when I when I recognized that it was Steve Austin, I said, holy shit, the earliest boss index here, all right, I said, now that we're because because because this was one of the first times in a long time that a w CW guy came over w W A, yeah, I said, we got him now, Steve Austin.
Speaker 3: Steve Austin such as he was then, fucking fucking.
Speaker 2: Ring Master Steve Austin. I was like, all right, because because you know, with Hogan gone, I mean I even I did sense like I had fear, you know, because as much as I was happy to see Holkogan, I was still thrown through a WW guy. You know, that was my home and so without without Hogan there, it still made me nervous, you know. But when Steve Austin came over in ninety five or early ninety six, whatever it was, I was like, yeah, okay, all right, we're good now. I don't know why, but like it just I was convinced she was.
Speaker 3: I mean, after a savage you know, it's like in Boss Man and stuff, It's like, yeah, this is just like they're all abandoning me, hacksaw.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, like everyone's going over there right. It was a very you know, it was very hard because I'm like, these are guys who are supposed to be WB guys. Right, like, what's happening here? Why is everyone leaving me?
Speaker 3: Took it very per and you thought, wwfoot, there must be something wrong with them. They can't attract any anybody right and right and not only here. And what he does with this opportunity changes everything forever. Austin, Austin, Austin, Okay, yes, not very complicated. It's not the answer to most questions you have about the business, Austin. Yes, So he runs over the drop down twice and into the sleeper hold. Then he pushes Austin into the corner. Does Steamboat school Boy gets to heenan does that great noise where he's like clenching his teeth hoping the heel doesn't lose, yes, betraying it. He was nervous for a second. Then steam Beat snatches the arm bar. They do a panding shot of the capacity crowd. Tony's wsw's but the world is watching now? So that's how they he fucking says that that's before the where the big boys play slogan what the world is watching now?
Speaker 2: They took w's slogan, okay, and they said what the world is watching now?
Speaker 3: Because if WWF is what the world was watching when hul Cogan was there, and we have hul cog and it only makes sense.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking you will say, what the world's washing?
Speaker 3: Brother, It's just say back in New York, brothers, what the world's watching. We'll guess what, brother, w W that's what the world's watching now, dude, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I'm washing it.
Speaker 8: What so.
Speaker 3: Bigs here his hair like moving when he when he goes right exactly to the corner of Austin kicksteam boat and the balls. Uh, he didn't say, there goes that trick knees trick.
Speaker 2: Me, my god, the fucking trick me every fucking time.
Speaker 3: And sometimes it goes the other way. Sometimes it goes to the side.
Speaker 2: You never know what something like that.
Speaker 3: Austin hits a high back. Suplex says, my arm is starting to feel a little better. He says that out loud, which is funny. Tony's like the knee. Huh, how about the knee? He didn't says, you never know when that will that'll flare up again. It's keeping that in his back pocket. Oh god, I just I just love him whipping back fantastic.
Speaker 2: Hilariat.
Speaker 3: Ricky steamboat keeps bouncing up and Steve Austin keeps knocking him down. Steamboat gets up and rolls out through the ropes, over the steps to the floor. Another guy using the steps there, everyone doing that bump.
Speaker 2: Tonight everyone, I mean that fuck and again I think I think steamboat doing it was just ridiculous, and.
Speaker 3: He Steamboat didn't miss a step. That is true to the apron.
Speaker 2: They go.
Speaker 3: Austin with a high vertical suplex brings Steamboat back in the hard way for two backsuplex, Steamboat lands gooseles and throws Steve Austin down to the canvas. That was always great when steamboat just exploded and just snatched it by the throat and showed unlikely strength. Stacks him up to steamboat after the impact and gets to Heenan lets out a ha at the prospect of Austin nearly losing.
Speaker 2: What a powerful thing.
Speaker 3: Bobby Heenan with the flare style rooting interest for Steve Austin.
Speaker 2: Yes, only makes sense. I mean it does. It does make sense. I mean it makes it. You know, you wonder did it has something to do with the idea that he was being ex Rick Flair the right the next Ric Flair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would think so back up on an Irish whip. See b Austin ducks Ricky's team belt with an arm drag, and watch Austin.
Speaker 2: To be too.
Speaker 3: He's too far from the ropes here for a second. So yeah, I think with heenan relative to the next Wick Flair, I think it's interesting that that point is made because you gotta remember, Hult comes in and undoes all that hype about Flair Austin, Right, It's not like, you know, it's not like only in retrospect we realize he had the potential to be something like that. They were actively saying when he was in WCW that he had that potential, right, and Hogan comes in and big foots all over it. In Austin is an absolute nothing instantly, And we're supposed to not believe that part of Hult Cogan's mission, of the thousands of missions he had in WCW, wasn't to sideline or relegate Steve Austin to lower status. I mean, give me a break. They weren't blind to that side. They were promoting it. He was the US champion, he was having singles programs, He wasn't a tag wrestler anymore. The promos, were.
Speaker 2: There, fucking US champion for God's sake, like he was?
Speaker 5: He was?
Speaker 2: He was it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he was the guy. Absolutely. If you look closely next to some of the new Japan representatives around Anoch in the audience, you will see in a tuxedo, my friend senior consultant to World Championship Wrestley One, Jimmy motherfucking Barnett.
Speaker 2: Really I missed that?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh ship hard to spot, but he is there, and he's he's he's observing because Sterling is back.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, I'm so nervous. I can't. Sterling, Oh my god, so long. You look so good. You look fantastic. Can I touch? Did you lean out? You're looking finn but in a good way. Don't get me read I'm wrong. I don't know you eat? Are you eating food? It's hot, Sterling. I'll tell you. You know here we are right, you know were we're sitting in the w C W and I just I can't handle it. I just can't. They want me, you understand, they're asking me to book. I can't exactly. It's too much. I'm drinking again. He's so stressed out.
Speaker 3: So with Steamboat driving these into the arm on the canvas. They do it over the shoulder shot of Tony and Heenan calling the action, and Tony points out that's the brain, by the way, because they can see themselves on the monitor, and Heenan says, and that's the other part of the anatomy. And you can see Tony's shoulders shaking with a chuckle even though.
Speaker 2: It's backs to the car.
Speaker 3: My god, that's fantastic, Tony says. Ricky Steamboat likes matches to go long time because he's got the conditioning edge. He's got conditioning, unlike this crowd. They're boring. Chances starting to trickle through.
Speaker 1: They're wrong.
Speaker 2: It'll obliged to mention that they're wrong. They're dead wrong.
Speaker 3: But you heard them right, not just shaking them up. Yeah, no, I know back.
Speaker 2: They don't understand what they're watching. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: There, you go, Austin pushes off Ricky Steamboat into a tackle up and over and they do it this disaster. They just cross each other up. It looks bad, really bad. And then Austin's going up for a leap frog and Ricky is jumping too at the same time. That's just the spot I'm talking about and they collide in mid motion and Austin kind of flops down and Steamboat he does quick he does a quick recovery. Do his credit, you know, Steamboat one of the best at making anything that might be a miss a misstep look like, okay, well, that's what happens when two guys are trying to execute complicated moves in each other in a real fire every now and then they're gonna miss. And when they missed, is the other guy, you know, look like a deer in the headlights announcing to everybody that something was wrong, or does he immediately go for a cover as you do if someone went for a move and missed.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's exactly what you would do.
Speaker 3: It's what he does for jackknife cover from Steamboat that gets too body slambery ricky Steamboat and he soars with a cross body for two. Then we have Steamboat hits uh Steve Austin lifts him. It's a huge spinebuster, almost like the one Hardcore Holly used to do. Interestingly enough, don't remember.
Speaker 2: That we that yeah he yeah, he lifts them up and then yeah, like like it's a standing spinebuster maneuver of sorts.
Speaker 3: Remember him doing that, but that got the reaction that gets them back into it. That's how impact stuff. Austin to the bottom rope and lifts a finger at him. You can hear this female voice. She's close to a hot mic. I don't know who she is or why he can hear her, but all I can hear her say is, I think everyone's wrestling for Antonio. Everyone's wrestling for Antonio.
Speaker 2: I was thinking the same thing.
Speaker 3: It's somebody calling them out for you know, they're just doing a match that is supposed to get them booked in New Japan as opposed to a match for the people here in Orlando. I think that that's what I interpreted that remark to be, which look is probably a fair comment because some of these people are shitting on the match in the building, but they just keep going. Is almost like they're they're wrestling past that. You know, Austin rubbing steamboats head in the mat and Austin to the middle rope, flying knee to Ricky, steamboats back, and we hear her again. We can't really bring up what she's saying. Austin is mocking the martial arts hand motions of Ricky steamboat, which is hilarious the way he hunches over and like does karate hands.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I mean, look, he's the best. That's right, all right, there's a reason why he is the best.
Speaker 3: All the while, ricky steam all the wild ricky steamboats doing the cell job that he learned from boxers, where he's like barely on his feet waving Austin on, like come on, bring it, ye Austin with some chops. Steamboat with a shove, barely standing, Austin staying on him. Rickey chops double leg catapult, Austin eats it in the corner and falls back into a cover by steamboat for two back up and Austin explodes with a falling larry At catching him. Very nice, how Austin cut off the rallying ricky steamboat there. Steamboat tries to stand and wave on Steve Austin and he chops him and a whip his reverse and Austin backdrop. Steamboat hits a swinging neck breaker and suddenly Heenan says, as soon as Michael Buffer introduces both contestants' history.
Speaker 2: Will be made.
Speaker 3: It's like he got this fucking thing. You got to mention Michael Buffer for no reason right in the middle of this US title match. I wonder who gave that signal from the truck Jesus Christ. Austin gets a two count, turns over Ricky and puts his neck between his ankles and kind of pulls at him. Kind of a weird sequence there. Ricky gets to his knees, climbs up, tries to the electric chair drop on Steve Austin with him on his shoulders, but Austin kind of rams Ricky's head into the mat head first. He gets free and Ricky stiffs up like a board the way he takes that header into the canvas. Oh, I know, just an elementary grabbed the guy by the hair when he's flat down, face down on the mat and just slam his head and Steamboat finds a way to take that ass over.
Speaker 2: Tea kettle looks great.
Speaker 3: And a nice entangled cradle by Austin, gets those legs all pretzeled in there and gets a two several times he goes for it, and then he goes to the mountain, gets two, grinding his foreum on Steamboat's face, holding down forcefully. Not enough of that in wrestling, grabbing the guy's hands and like, you're not kicking it out.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's very simple. It's very simple, it's and it's effective. Yes, just fucking do it.
Speaker 3: And he's doing it. That only gets two though, over and over again. Finally, Steamboat bridges with Austin on top of him, and Austin goes up and boom comes down. Instead of landing with his shins on a steamboat's gut, Steamboat gets both of his knees and Austin's crotch and then he kicks up with both feet and Austin takes an absolute crazy backwards bump. Is that a that kick off your back like that? That upkick has potential to generate a hell of a lot of power. Austin from the back grabs the wrist and kicks the inside arm to the middle rope.
Speaker 2: They go.
Speaker 3: Austin is choking him and runs and sits on a cross Steamboat's back and waves Rocky Steamboat's arm into the camera. He grabs him and turns him into a puppet. Here at bash at the beach, tremendous stuff from Steve Austin. He says, Hi, everybody with the limp wrist and then Steve pulls down his own knee pad. Steamboat turns and hot shots Austin. Kind of that stun gun. Austin's move across the top rope. Boston goes to the apron. They slug it out there. Austin knees and toss the steamboat off the apron into the guardrail side headlock and Austin shoved off into the post on the floor.
Speaker 2: Back in.
Speaker 3: Steamboat climbs with a tomahawk chop, takes them ount rains down right hands big come back here from steamboat back up where Austin goes up and over in the great backdrop.
Speaker 2: What a cell job.
Speaker 3: Yes, steamboat knocks him down, covers him for two. Austin jabs the eye though and throws steamboat over, and steamboat skins the cat as only he can. Heenan says, a steamboat jumped over, Not that Steve Austin tried to throw him over. So before you go screaming disqualification against Steve Austin. Steamboat gets on him to the corner, chops and then lunges and a backdrop, and again steamboat hangs on, charges in, grabs a cradle, gets to another inside. Cradle gets to their backup steamboat with a double egg take down jackknife. Cradle gets two. Tony says, Steve Austin was trying to get disqualified there, and Heenen says, oh, if that was true, he just have to punch the ref and he didn't do that, so clearly that's wrong. Tony and I whip is reversed. Steamboat hits Austin. Okay, it's tombstone time now.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If we spend enough time thinking about how it was Steve Austin who was a mark for the spot that paralyzed him at Summer Slam nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Yep, but it's here and all that I was, and I was nervous watching this. I mean, my mind goes right.
Speaker 3: There, so nervous. It's summertime after all. Exactly, come on, now.
Speaker 2: All the pieces are there, and it's just it's very, very very uncomfortable watching him go for the move, take the move, all of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, steamboat just collapses forward and just lets the chips fall where they may. Regarding Steve Austin's head, yes, he doesn't like he doesn't try to spike him straight down. He doesn't try to. He doesn't try to pinch Austin's head between his two kneecaps to prevent, you know, impact, He us.
Speaker 2: Goes forward.
Speaker 3: He just falls on his knees and whatever happens to that, it's unreal impact. Wild that it was Austin who calls that spot. Yeah, crowd is now fully with it. Seembo climbs the ropes leaps and Austin shoves the ref Aside gets in, the ref gets in his face. Crowd is kind of dead. I don't know, they're not really as alive as they should be at this moment in the contest. I feel like, I don't know if it dragged on too long. I don't know what the deal was. Maybe this crowd is just here to see Halkogan and it's that simple. But I do feel like the effort wasn't commensurate to the response as far.
Speaker 2: As I I yeah, I don't know what I mean. I didn't really care what they were how they were responding. I was I was just loving it. There's a whole much fucking work rate going on, yeh. I mean, maybe they were a little bit out of juice. From from Marnin Anderson turning right beforehand. Big moment, no bad question. You know, if they're not enjoying their fucking bitches there you go pretty simple.
Speaker 3: So the wef is waving like no, and Steamboat holding his arm like don't you weigh this thing off? And then he gets his hands on Austin starts hauling off. Whip is reversed, Austin misses two closed lines. Steamboat is the cross body block, but Austin rolls through one two not enough, shoulder up, and then Austin goes for it again, this time with his leg on the ropes one, two, three, Steve Austin pulling the rugout from under Ricky Steamboat twenty minutes and six seconds to retain the US title.
Speaker 2: You see, it's great, Like you know, like again, these these moves, like the finishes here are not being done.
Speaker 25: You know.
Speaker 2: If you look at like they're they're being done a little more realistic. Yeah, you know, the way that they get the pins, they're they're not they're not slick, They're a little bit clunky, And I think that's great for this. Yes, yeah, I'm with you. It's interesting.
Speaker 3: They have this finish, the same finish in the Marrow match. And pretty much the same finish in the cap this match, all three go down to like these these sort of like half hazard cobble together pen attempts and yeah, the guys in the ring are good enough, but exception the folly one, which is god awfuls we'll get too well.
Speaker 2: I mean it's also I mean it's it's it's also just ruined by Nick Patrick.
Speaker 3: Yeah he doesn't, he never helps. It's just completely ruined. Always a negative.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Austin springs out of the ring upon getting the pinfall and goes up with his arms in the air like fuck yeah. Power walks to the back and we go to Tony and Bobby signed behind Tony Hulk who if only they got a Hooters girl there. Chris Cruise is with Roman orndor if Heenan says, is that Chris Cruise or doctor Govorkian? Heenan says, pick me a winner in the next match. He picks Sullivan a cactus check.
Speaker 2: I got I got this here for you. Pick me a winner.
Speaker 23: Pick me a winner in the next match. Kevin Solomon cactus Jack.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that?
Speaker 17: Cause they're so unpredictable, there's no way to defend against him, no.
Speaker 2: Way to defend against them. It's simple.
Speaker 15: You get him at big nice sports what they like, you know, the one that ties behind in the back that they wear so nice, at the nuthouse where they reside.
Speaker 5: That's how you beat them.
Speaker 2: Then that house where they reside. I love the idea of like the straight jacket. Oh totally, you know, it's such a it's such a I mean, do people even does that even happen anymore? Like that much? The straight chat that I know of? I mean, yeah, like you don't hear about that that much.
Speaker 3: That's a kind of an old fashioned thing. And we go back to the packed locker room. Meng and woman are in there, and this is the of course, the stud stables celebrating arms pigre turn. Gene comes in just a second.
Speaker 2: Oh man, listen to I got this one. This whole thing like when he when he says he's got like credentials or whatever, just fucking unbelievable.
Speaker 16: Hold on my second, mart Anderson, Martin Anderson, I want to get in here.
Speaker 23: Wait a minute, I've got credentials. I've got credentials.
Speaker 5: I can anywhere in here.
Speaker 2: What the fuck, Jean, what the fuck?
Speaker 18: Hey?
Speaker 23: I want to talk.
Speaker 5: This is a private party.
Speaker 23: Here's you can see.
Speaker 24: We're smoking cigars, drinking beer and frankings.
Speaker 23: Champagne hold his glass out for him.
Speaker 5: Jean, watch the funer right here.
Speaker 23: Huh, we're gonna pump the top hair hot.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm got that on Edison.
Speaker 23: Number one man right there, brother, a real gem.
Speaker 1: I said, I don't want to talk to Dustin Anderson.
Speaker 5: He's a strong thing. Hey, let me say one thing. We was coming back from the ring and this kid leaped over.
Speaker 4: He leaned right on to the top of the ray lambs and he came up to me and he dropped to it through and he had me like that.
Speaker 5: He said, why did you do that thing? Why did you do that for dozing roads? He's such a great best linger entertainer. And I kicked him away from him.
Speaker 2: He's what I couldn't please my ears. I really, he's such a great wrestling entertainment. What the fuck?
Speaker 3: Where did that come from?
Speaker 2: Terry? I mean speechless, And I said his daddy was to.
Speaker 22: Let me try it up before you talk to You know, it's very few times you make an agreement with a man that you could trust.
Speaker 5: Him in his honor and I won't say that.
Speaker 29: I won't a toast ride now, I won't everybody with the glass in there to toast one of the most honorable finest.
Speaker 24: Man, this man right here that just joined our stud stable Bindy and Falsa and the.
Speaker 1: Sand or So. I can't believe you.
Speaker 23: I tried to talk to you earlier.
Speaker 16: That is the most disgusting thing and honest to god, I've ever seen gen o'klin.
Speaker 29: Less than a year ago, I was laying in a hospital bed in England.
Speaker 5: Beat I trusted, Colonel. I trusted.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's a shit stabbing right right is unbelievable. I forgot he ever made reference to that. Ever once he does it for the sake of the promo, though.
Speaker 29: It's unbelievable, playing in a hospital bed beat half to death right down the hall.
Speaker 2: For me was my constituent beat half to death? That I thought, for what is he talking about?
Speaker 3: Sid to yeh, I don't know what it would be his constituent, but okay, I think I don't think he knows that word means.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not a crusader.
Speaker 29: I'm not gonna lay up here bete half to death to represent what I think is right, I'm gonna do what I think is a Dustin Rose. I told you if you wanted me to be in the match, you would have to take the old iron Anderson, the old iron Anderson who had smack his benny in the mouth of fifty cent. You said, fine, whatever it takes. Well, Dustin knows you got him to night. You made a pack with the devil, and the devil called his mucker in a little.
Speaker 8: Bit, so tell him.
Speaker 16: Apparently Prince had been trussed doesn't mean anything in as Cesspool. Let's get back to you, ladies, yourselves.
Speaker 2: Beautiful girls like you. Hilarious. I I I love this Arn promo. Good stuff, It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: They're choking him with Champagne too while he's talking, to the point it's burning his eyes and he's like trying to force his eyes open but he can't and he has to keep wiping them away, which I think that's a rib like when a guy's on camera. I feel poor Champagne, he's gonna struggle to keep his eyes open. But yeah, I love he just uses the thing like you know, I almost died, so like I'm done worrying about anything but myself. That's my epiphany after being in that position, and so here I am. Yeah, good stuff. I also watch for a guy frantically trying to load cable into this room at the very beginning of the segment, trying to run cable and also hide himself from view at the same time. Oh my god, it's it's it's something to see in the corner there. So here's pretty wonderful. Paul Roma and Paula Orendorf and the Sequins and everything. As they part the curtain, Kevin Sullivan comes out with the tag team title, formerly of Singapore, now residing in Daytona Beach by way of Southey, along with his brother Dave as Kevin Sullivan and his partner and co tag team title holder, Cactus Jack, the forementioned fan from New York doing his part holding open the WCW magazine for the cameras with Cactus and Dave. Sullivan already has his Hogan shirt on, so he's already a whole co maniac, and he insists those are his jammies.
Speaker 2: I wanna be a comaniac, have fun with my family and friends. Absolutely, I wanna be a co maniac. I can't believe they put that on. I need to take off my pants.
Speaker 3: Cactus sticking the tongue through the tooth gap, and Cactus and Celli had beaten the Nasties Slambery for the Tag Team Championships. Tony notes, it was supposed to be Dave Sullivan, not Cactus is the partner, but that's the way it shook out. The fake Hog guy has a Paula sign, which of course was the taunt back then towards Paul Orndorf, and he says that's not Holcoke and that's some idiot. He then says he doesn't think. I don't think Dave knows who Kevin is. Yeah, he doesn't think Kevin knows likes Dave. Yeah, And he doesn't think Dave knows who Kevin even is. So this is a controversial time for Mick Foley. He's in a totally different space. Yes, he had done a W step in ECW promo. At the time, w CW and ECW were very freely exchanging talent. Terry Funk is an example of that. So as Arn Anderson aren't had done the ECW Arena in the same year, we just saw Bobby Eaton. Others had made their way over there and Folly goes over to do the Saboo match. Kind of touched on the match but didn't watch it in our Saboo tribute really because he was underwhelming. The internet was kind of all a buzz with what it would mean if this, you know, table smashing Maniac came up against Cactus Jack, the Ultimate risk Taker. So they had the match at the arena and they pulled out as many stops they could, but it was overall received as kind of underwhelming. So Cactus, as he was so great at doing, we do a promo railing against the fans for their inhumane expectations. And one of the things he does to express how dissatisfied he is with the current state of affairs is he in this promo on ECW Television, spits on the WCW Tag Team Championship belt. He holds it right up there and spits on it and then goes off in his tie rating promo. Now, Rick Flair, as aforementioned, was pretty much booking WCW at this time and was in a position to kind of discipline the locker room, and he calls Mick according to Mick and his Book, and choose him out for spitting on the title, or at least asks him in a very kind of like arms folded kind of way, this is true, did you spit in the WW title? And pretty soon fully can start to feel things diminishing in terms of his push and his position in the company. Well, Rick, I explained to my boss, he writes in his first book, even with more excitement in my voice. I wanted the fans to understand that as much as I valued that belt, I valued my pride a little more By spitting on the belt. I felt that I was adding an exclamation point to the fact that I knew how important this match was for WCW, so I wanted to give a little something extra. Would that Flaire said he needed to take another call. I was all fired up. Fuck him, I silently mouthed, while raising my middle finger in a stone cold salute. When Flair got back on the line, he said he had to go, but that he talked to me at TV. It would be great to say that I went there and verbally tore nature new asshole, but the truth is that, not wanting to create waves, I apologized for disrespecting the image of the belt. Flair was pleasant enough about the whole thing as I watched this forty five year old man Koma's back, his hair as he looked in the mirror as if he thought he was the fawnds. Hey, A nurse showed me. Hey, right, that's the funn Hey A nurse showed me my MRI result because he was hurting at the time, Mick, which revealed two bulging discs and one herd needed disk in his back. If you think of the disks in your back as jelly donuts, a bulge of curs blah blah blah. His jelly had squirted out. The nurse left, and Doctor Rosen, the name had been changed to protect my bank account, walked in a few minutes later. He started in by saying, well, Michael, looks like you've got two bulging discs. I kept waiting for him to continue, but he didn't. Finally, I continued his diagnosis forum. What about the herneda disc, I asked, which startled him. Oh, how did you know about that? My reply was simple, I read the report. He was clearly caught off guard and began back pedaling with his brain. Well it is, but it isn't, came his somewhat less than scientific reply. That was all I needed to hear. I took my MRIs and sought a second opinion. Dtor Armstrong was the guy wrestlers went to when they didn't trust Rosen. Armstrong took one look at my MRIs and strongly advised me not to wrestle until I saw a back specialist. He said, the MRI detected a portion of the disc that had fragmented and was floating freely in my spinal column. If this fragment lodged in the wrong area, it could be serious trouble. Unfortunately, I had to leave for Florida the next day and didn't have time to see a specialist. Doctor Armstrong wished me luck and sent me off with a note that read, do not wrestle. To do so would risk serious and permanent injury, including wow but not limited to, loss of control of bowel and bladder functions, loss of sensation and extremities, and paralysis. Do not wrestle until se by a specialist. I called WW you and told him the news, but told him that I would come to Florida anyway. When I got to the residence in Kevin called me to his room.
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: He asked, they don't believe me, do they, I said, sadly, knowing that my question was mettally rhetorical. Of course they don't. Kevin shot back. Rick thinks she did this because he yelled at you about spitting on the belt. He did this, got a doctor's note?
Speaker 2: Did this?
Speaker 10: Ye?
Speaker 2: I was getting hot? Where is he?
Speaker 3: I went to a boardroom where Flair was sitting with several other members of the Book and Committee Cactus. Flair began the tone of his voice sounding like trouble to me. Kevin tells me you won't be able to wrestle tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Yes, Rick, it is, I answered, Are you sure? He shot back, as if I were on trial? Yes, I am, Rick, I answered again. Now he hit a nerve. I pulled out doctor Armstrong's note and, with more than a little anger in my voice, addressed the nature boy. I've got a legitimate medical note from a respected orthopedic surgeon that tells me I would be risking loss of bowel and bladder control and paralysis if I wrestle. I'm actually scared, Rick, and none of you seem to give a damn, And for once in my life, I'm going to put myself and my family before this business. I'm not going to wrestle. This is true, he said to someone whose identity escapes me. Well, the unknown man told Flair. The doctor did say he could use some time off, but what about tomorrow, Flair inquired. The doctor says that one more match shouldn't make a difference. The unknown man answered, now it was well, I'll put those words in Flower's mouth. Now it was my turn to step back in. I explained that it is, but it isn't diagnosis, and stressed the second opinion, that's true, Rick Unknown said, actually backing me up on this matter. A lot of the boys don't trust Rosen, so they go to doctor Armstrong. Look, I said, my note says don't wrestle until seeing a back specialist. If you can get me to a specialist who can give me a milligram and a cat scan, and if that doctor says I can wrestle, then I will away. I went to the Sandlike Regional Hospital. Unfortunately, the hospital was not able to give me those tests on short notice. The doctors echoed doctor Armstrong's advice before I left. I should have listened, but I didn't. When I got back to the residence. I went to the boardroom, opened the door and said, I'll wrestle, but I'm not doing anything risky. You see how soon they forget. I was on the floor stretching at the Orlando Arena at his bash of the Beach when a familiar gruff addressed me. I looked up and saw Harley. There was sadness in his eyes. Everything you've done for them, and this is how they repay you. I didn't say anything but nodded my head. If I'd spoken at all, I very well might have said I very well might have cried cactus. He continued, I hope you remember this night for a long time. You know something, Harley, I will. I sent Harley a Christmas card that year that said, simply, I wish the office had done half as much for me as you have. Two years later, his wife told me how much it had meant to him. I did wrestle that night, and I was scared as hell. It was the worst pay per view match that I have ever been in, and the fans knew it.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 3: I've been in some stinkers before, but I always had this feeling inside me that no matter how bad things sucked, I could always somehow pull it out of the gutter. I got that same feeling in Orlando that night as we cluster fucked to a symphony of silence. But I waited on the ring apron until the feeling went away. After twenty two minutes of a match that was about nineteen minutes too long, we dropped the tag team titles to Orndorf and Roma, just as they had so mysteriously predicted did over ten weeks earlier. Yes, there was a snaffu where they basically, you know, knew they were going to shoot the tag title change, so they put it. They accidentally put it something on television early that called out Roma and ord Orphis champions as if they had just won them before the match had taken place. So they were still struggling with some of those continuity issues around filming so many weeks of television at a time, including shows that were to air after the upcoming pay per view where the title switch would take place. But that's mcfoley. So this match we're about to see boss and talk about is the worst pay per view match mckfoley ever remembers having. Yeah, I mean it's not great, wretched, wretched, Yeah, yeah, wretched.
Speaker 2: No one knows. It's a shame because I love fucking Pretty Wonderful. Yeah, they're pretty awful here, I think I think Pretty Wonderful is such a great, underrated ww tag team in the mid nineties. But man, yeah, it's just a shit show yep, and a lot of it.
Speaker 3: If you don't know Mix hurt, you're really frustrated and confused because so much of the match is Kevin Sullivan throwing these bolo forearms and stiff chops, trying to draw the crowd into the fact that he's really exchanging and hitting hard, and no one gives a fuck. No one cares about Kevin Sullivan's offense yep, And you're like, why is it micking there? He's the most interesting wrestler out there, Like he can do cool stuff, and you don't know he's hurt, and it's just like it's like they're sabotaging the match on purpose. It almost seems like. But the finish comes together in such a sloppy way that you're like, yeah, oh, it makes sense that like they were kid loving Mick because he was, you know, in such a perilous position. Yeah, but a woman from the locker room scene comes and gets the robes. Same woman who was celebrating with arn Anderson and punkass Buck and dairy Funk. Jesus, I was coming to get Paul and Roman. Anderson's wrote up Orndorf's robes, and we see Orndorf and Kevin Sullivan get it started. Some flexing, of course from Orndorf and yeah, one of the that right arm has already given up. The right arm is already starting fade. Yeah, mister Wonderful, Oh yeah, it definitely is.
Speaker 2: It's very noticeable. Yes, it's starting, very noticeable. Weird' said, Yeah, the air is being let out. That's exactly right. Lock up Ornbro for the arm.
Speaker 3: Dragon a pose Sully lighter on his feet than I would have expected, because he's trying to really make this work, knowing Cactus can't do too much.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's it's it's such a fucking nightmare.
Speaker 3: Tag to Cactus and Roma. Roma pinches his nose like, look at this nothing this zero and then look at me, he says. He does the go behind and trips Cactus and gloats, and then goes to the hammer lock and shoves him to the corner and gloats again. They're doing the He's basically Paul Roma doing the endw Dice clay Oh every time he pull something off.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Cactus bites Roma's nose, tags Sullivan push off tackle drop down, Sully goes under the leap frog, Roma ducks the line and then I cactus headbutts to no reaction dropping Paul Roma. Crowd not digging this orangeor fan kicks and punches Sully in the corner. Uh fully threw himself over the buckle to block Sully.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I like that. I'll tell you what. I'm always a fan of that spot. Yep. People people should do it more often. Yep. You know like the fact that people that that that teammates don't try to block the post the corner. The post is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it works here and it's a good move for him to pull out because it's low risk in a moment like this. So Sully chops. Roma tries, but Sully redirects him and fully kicks Roma up on the hammer locked position. Pretty wonderful. Bail out of the ring and fully and Paul Oendorff re engage tackle down goes Orndorf, but he hits a knee lift on the way in and forearms in the corner on fully to the four floor, Fully blocks and throws and Sully drops Paul Roma. He's whipped into sully clothesline and they take the bump pre four brawl dead crowd YEP. Cactus acted like he's going to launch the elbow off the apron, but Paul Roma is standing up, so Cactus just has to walk down the steps and throw them in the ring. So it's Orndorf and Sully in the corner, exchanging. Sully goes off with the slaps to the chest, takes on Roma as well, trying to get the crowd behind the idea that's just not okay fighting both men. Heenan's wondering who the legal man is. Cactus is in on a hammer lock. I mean, this is like, what the fuck is this? Why is Cactus working a hammer lock right now? And he goes he almost appears to me to know what he's doing as he applies a wrestling hold. Sullivan comes in working the hands stomping gimmick. Noow where he stomps your hand one hundred times, and Tony says, we have heard report, no report yet on Dustin Rhodes. Remember he's still severely injured, and Heenes says he's waiting for his aid to come back with information on that front. Paul Owen Dwarf boots Cactus on the drop down and yanks him down.
Speaker 2: I would have loved to have been one of Heenan's aids.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know, to be working his sources in the back and to feed information to him. Heenan gets an update and laughs, I guess he has been taken to the hospital. He says, what a piece of shit. He finds that out and laughs, he laughs, I love it. Roma comes in stomping away fully with that. That's a lot of that. Cactus with a head butt out of the as he's backed into the corner. Orndorf makes the blind tag. They double team fully a bit. Nick Patrick presidings, you can imagine how easy that would be. Orndorf prize is suplex. No Cactus hits in with one instead, So that's gonna be the big move from Cactus. Really in this match is this suplex tag to Sullivan, who comes in going off trying to do a baby face fire comeback. No, no one cares, not good, It's not no one wants to see Kevin Sullivan firing up. You know, he rams up paul o'dwarf into the corner over and over again, grabs Roma too. He's got both of them doing it at the same time, Big nogg and knocker to the finish.
Speaker 2: Tony calls it double coconuts delicious.
Speaker 3: Kevin Sullivan drops paul o'dwarf for the right double foot to the gut, gets a two count, you know that little short double foot stomp that Kevin Sullivan used to It gets saved from paul Roma. Cactus whips color Dwarf.
Speaker 2: Chris Lemon looks bored out of.
Speaker 3: His fucking mind. The older rings I don't wonder what the fuck am I doing.
Speaker 2: He's miserable. Well, they cut to Hank Aaron and Bill Shaw and they're just talking. They're ignoring the match. They're just talking to each other. It's fucking hilarious. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a better idea. Can you imagine it being a better idea to cut to two people talking to each other instead of showing what's happening in the room. Cactus with a whip orn Dwarf reverses it, fires out with the back yelbow, Sully bites Orn Dwarf, Cactus hits a head butt, and then they say that Kevin Sullivan ate Orn Dwarf's eyebrow. Okay Enian continues to marvel at the concept that Kevin Sullivan and Cactus have teamwork going on. Here, Sullivan's in one of the arms of Paul Orndorf. What in God's name or they're waiting for I'm starting to ask myself. I think they're doing something in the crowd. There is a moment where the crowd starts to do something to distract themselves. They do the wave, the bash at the beach wave. That's very fitting there take that work, but that slows the match down even more as they wait for that to pass. Cactus in and sits on a front face lock. I do think there's probably some time thing too. They seem to drag this match out to hit artificial time. I really feel that way, Yep. I don't know if Hogan wasn't ready, or if Hogan didn't want to go to the ring till a particular time, whatever it was. Yeah, to your point, they show Aerin and Bill Shaw paying attention. Heenan says, which one Shaw he's such a Tony says, we'll have that one on tap when we negotiate your next contract. That you don't know the difference between the two. No, he says, Wait a minute. Tony says, we got that one on tap brain for the next contract negotiation, and Heenan says, don't worry, I'll sign him another word, thinking he's he's on the W'SB side of the contract negotiation that Tony's talking about. Sonyon No positioned strategically behind Hank Aaron and Bill Shaw, no doubt, so that he can report back to Eric what it is they were talking about. Of course, Sonnyono always watching very closely with a fujisque smile on his face. Definitely not up to no good full.
Speaker 2: There's a so who is so who sitting next to Chris Lemon, Because it's a guy who looks like he's like two people to the left of Chris Lemon glasses on. Yeah, he looks like Danny McBride and the Righteous Gemstones and and uh that. But what really matters is that there's a woman who's sitting next to him who at one point looks like she's sucking his ear. Really, who I missed that. Yeah, it's like she's just like, I don't know what what she's doing. I imagine she's not sucking his ear, but like she just I don't know, she's just like in the side of his head. It's very weird.
Speaker 3: The guy with the glasses, those Hollywood glasses, is Howard Hughes. Howard Hughes was Hogan's big attorney.
Speaker 2: Howard Hughes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's his name. It's hard to believe.
Speaker 2: It's that's his name. His name is Howard Hughes.
Speaker 3: Wow, he is a Hulk's attorney. And then next to him or maybe two people next to him is Peter Young, who was a Hulk Coogan's agent as well as the agent of George Foreman, explaining why those two were together and why, you know, why they work together to promote passion the beach rather easily, and why Hogan can try to credibly claim that he was in line for the George Foreman grill opportunity. That they called Peter Young about him before they called Peter Young about George Foreman.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm sure they did.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, he just wasn't home at the time and they had to move on. They just couldn't they wanted Hogan, But only between the hours of one and three pm do they want Hogan. And then they just stopped watching, and all of a sudden, it would appear so fully clips the face of Paul or Dwarf in the corner, attack to Sullivan, who comes in with right hands and an arm ringer still working on the arm here just to keep the crowd enthralled. Paul Roman now on Sully, throwing rights and lefts in the corner. Sullivan fires back, and they're going back and forth, big slap, chop and right hand to a battle. Cactus comes in, becomes a peer four as Orndorf sneaks in a big pile driver on Kevin Sullivan and gets too. He does Steve Sullivan putting the foot of his brother on the rope to save him from defeat. The crowd stomped.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: I can't tell if they're doing that though, to amuse themselves and distract themselves, or because they're into the actual match. Kevin Sullivan sits down with a jawbreaker on the sleeper holding Paul Ooren Dwarf Roma comes in. Then they're exchanging all over again, rewinding the whole exchange over and over again. Is Kevin Sullen Rombo the body slam leaps to the ropes like he used to do. But yeah, to your point, one of the great things about Pretty Wonderful is when Roma does that elbow so high from the sky, it jumps to the ropes in a fluid motion. But if he's going to trip doing that spot like he did here, now all of a sudden, it just looks like Amer shower. Yep, Heenan does say his cat like agility, and Roma hits the elbow with basically no impact. So he tries it again and gets to Now they're trading off sneak attacks behind the referees back as Orndwarf does his wiggle need elbow drop to no response whatsoever.
Speaker 2: That is not good.
Speaker 3: If you're gonna do that big involved yeah, you know, gyrating elbow drop that Paul En Dwarf used to do, at least make sure the crowd gives a fuck.
Speaker 2: It's it's fucking weird, so weird, it's it's very weird, and it's like it's too much. He's trying to he's trying to get a reaction as opposed to just getting a reaction absolutely bad news. Big difference.
Speaker 3: This match brought to you by Crickets Wireless, as far as I can tell, so much for vets who know how to adjust to the crowd or whatever the fuck. Sullivan backs him up, elbows, runs into the sleeper of Paul Oorndorf. Sully runs him into the corner to break that up, and then Orndwarf tags in Paul Roma, who stays on Sullivan. It's a high elbow for two. Sully then kind of just I don't know, Judo throws to get free and collides with Roma, and then Rome's around spinning around. Heenan says, he doesn't know where he's at. Of course he's had a lot of days like that, Bobby Heenan says of Kevin Sullivan, Dave Sullivan slapping the match, trying to get the crowd in. When is paul O and Dwarf is in going off on Sully who's being held in place. Sally does not make a great baby face in peril here, I determined as Kevin Sullivan's whipped to the corner and gets the boot up on Orn Dwarf who's charging him. Tagged to Paul Roman. Now who comes in just punches whipping a clothesline, and Sullivan just timbers off to the side, and like, okay, it's like they had the comeback six times in the match.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 3: They do the spot where Sullivan's supposed to get the hot tag and then they just cut it off because Cactus presumably isn't ready for hot tag rally spot, and they do another sequence over again. Awful to build to another tag that doesn't come. Tag after tag after tag between Orndorf and Roma is they're kind of feeling around in the dark for something that's going to catch the fans, whipping a backdrop on Sullivan elbow drop tagging to Orndorf He's gonna do the elbow again, but this time he misses it, so then Orndorf gets the tag. Cactus now gets the tag two to a minor pop. Cactus comes in punching and headbutting, sits down on one of the guys across the middle rope whip boot caught Spun and Larry and almost like DDP does by Cactus, Jackie then slams Roma goes for the double arm DDT Sully punches Roma out, Cactus covers, Dave gets on the apron with his crutch, which he had for some reason, something happens and Sully like pushes Dave out of the ring and he's falling and they're trying to hold on and it's terrible.
Speaker 2: It is terrible.
Speaker 3: They're trying to evolve Davis and you don't know who's hitting who by mistake or on purpose.
Speaker 2: Why don't they just have Dave like wrestle Ford fucking cactus?
Speaker 3: He has a great question, I assume because he has the crutch. He's probably hurt like im obile somehow, I don't know, but whatever it is, all of a sudden, someone trips Cactus from outside and just holds Roma.
Speaker 2: Roma trips and does the Bobby Heenen type thing and he just.
Speaker 3: Holds the leg down and all of a sudden one two, three, and follies.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem. This is the problem. This is the problem. Though okay, Folly gets tripped up, Roma's holding the leg. Nick Patrick and Orndorf goes for the cover right, and as this is happening, nick Patrick walks back around and he blatantly sees Paul Romas holding Polly's leg, looks right at it, but he and and not only that when he goes down, he goes down to register thereecount if I'm if I'm not mistake, if I'm not mistaken. He's also like instead of trying to like like shifts that he can't see it, he's like facing it as he registers the three count like it is. It is one of the fucking like what is wrong with him? Basic stuff like to get right. He just it's like he didn't either care or didn't understand, Like he's just he's the worst. He's the absolute worst referees and and like because he he just ruins wrestling by existing.
Speaker 3: He wanders around like that Will Ferrell character that suddenly would just walk in front of the camera during an SNL skit. Remember yeah, right right right when he's out the pasture.
Speaker 2: Right he said, oh, all right, I guess Penn, we're going for it. Okay, cool, okay, oh all right, he's holding Lake. Great, that's what we're supposed here for one, two, three, great?
Speaker 22: Yay.
Speaker 3: It was twenty minutes and eleven seconds.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, shoot me, pretty wonderful.
Speaker 3: Defeats Cactus and Kevin Sullivan here at Bash of the Beach night four.
Speaker 2: Honestly, what are you doing, Nick Patrick. Nick Patrick is involved in more fucking screwy finishes than Earl Hadner. Yeah, Linda is happy, though Linda is happy, that is Yeah, she's applaudingly crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say this in terms of exaggeration, but I do feel like it's it's necessary to tell people that I wrote this down as soon as this match finished. I'll tell you where I was at. I wrote the worst match I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: That's what I read. Wow, look at that, Look at that new champs.
Speaker 3: Tony says, millions of homes are watching our paper I view telecast. No, not millions, millions have access, but they're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and I'll tell you what, No one's watching this one right now. People are just taking a shit. And he says, you know they went away.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, they're trying to get that bathroom break in. Tony says, if you've been like me, you've always wanted to see Flair and Hogan, I.
Speaker 2: Got this one for you. This is great, little final hype piece.
Speaker 17: You've been like me, a wrestling fan for years, You've always wanted to see the nature boy, Rick Flair face Haulk Cogan. It's the match we all talked about as wrestling fans, the match we always waited for as fans, and tonight World Championship Wrestling is proud to bring you that match. And Brain, I know you've been very opinionated about it. You know hul Cogan as well as I do.
Speaker 23: You know the nature role, I know him better than anyone. Well, you know the nature boy Rick Flair as well as I do.
Speaker 17: And even though you did not want to see this match, even though you do not like Hulk Hogan, you have to admit we are on the threshold. We are at the moment that wrestling fans, that sports fans worldwide have been waiting for.
Speaker 15: You know, one way or the other, it's going to be a new era because when Flair beats Hogan, they're gonna say, that's right, we.
Speaker 23: Knew Flair could do it all along.
Speaker 15: If it goes the other way and Hogan beats Flair, they're gonna say, see, we always knew that Hulk Hogan could beat Rick Flair. But Hogan, if you do beat Rick Flair, I'm going on record right now, it's a fluke. Well that's the opinion of Bobby the brad Heat And then for the past well. Ever, since the fourth of June, when Hulk Hogan announced his signing with WCW, all of us in World Championship Wrestling have been just thrilled to have Hulk Hogan a part of us.
Speaker 23: What are you talking, I'm not thrilled to have him a part of us. Don't include me in on this rap, he finished, Go ahead, We.
Speaker 17: Are thrilled to be bringing you the match that everybody wanted to see, Hulk Hogan, the Hulkster and the millions of Houkomediacs all around the world waiting for his return to the rig against the man who has been the standard in World Championship Wrestling, the nature boy, Rick Flair.
Speaker 15: You know, this is a match I've always won to see, not Hogan and Flair, but I've always wanted to see Hogan made a fool of and this is the man to do it.
Speaker 5: It's just a shame.
Speaker 15: It's just a shame that I have to sit here and wash these humanoids cheer Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 23: I think Hogan should be have a broom in his hand.
Speaker 2: Sweeping this arena.
Speaker 5: That's what he should be doing.
Speaker 23: And you should be very proud.
Speaker 17: You should be very happy that we are at Rinkside able to call the greatest match in the history of professional wrestling.
Speaker 15: You'd rather be here than doing a World Series, than doing the Super Bowl, doing the Stanley, Well, so would I, because I'm gonna love it when Hogan walks out of this building tonight and twenty some thousand people are chanting loser, loser, loser, I'm gonna feel good, insight. Then I'm gonna go to Bucks nort I'm gonna hang around with Terry Funk, arn Anderson, and I'm gonna have myself a glass of the Bubbly How do you like that, Chavanni, and you can go home and have your little warm cup of Oval tea and a cookie.
Speaker 23: It's the match we've all been waiting for.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 17: We present to you the biggest match in the history of our spot, Rick.
Speaker 23: Flair and Hulk Hogan. As we go to Michael.
Speaker 2: Buffer, Ladies and gentlemen coming to the ring at this time.
Speaker 14: It's the last fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lampsed Fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno MGP Soro.
Speaker 3: One of the executives of WCW from Saint Paul, Minnesota, himself a former four time world heavyweight champion and now the WCW commissioner. Let's hear it for the honorable Nick Bockwinkle. Boo hey, boo, thegainwile.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. They don't see him.
Speaker 3: At first, he doesn't come out, and he goes hope he didn't get locked in a room, and finally he finds his way out into tuxedo and here is ladies and gentlemen from the four time world champion. WCW Commissioner Nick Bockwinkle says it again. Still no reaction. Heenan says, are you sure that's Bockwinkle or is that Lloyd Bridges?
Speaker 2: And now it's It's fucking great, that's fucking great. It's so true. He does look like Lloyd Bridges.
Speaker 3: And now tonight, ladies and gentlemen, as a special guest of the WCW. One of the greatest superstars in the world world of sports today. He weighs three hundred and three pounds, wears a size twenty two shoe. He stands at seven foot one inch. He has an NBA number one pick in nineteen ninety two with the Orlando Magic Ladies and Gentlemen number thirty two, The Shack Attack Shaquille.
Speaker 2: I mean he calls him the Shack Attack, Like, come on, man, what is the problem here?
Speaker 3: Yeah it's aw Vader is a snack attack earlier. But yeah, right, big pop for for Shack here in Orlando. T shirt says all Sport on it. Not sure what that endorsement was there for one Shack, but all Sport don't remember that. So skinny compared to like what he is now, Like when you see him.
Speaker 2: Oh I know, now that he's retired, he's just a fucking He's just a fucking massive whale. Yeah, he really is. Like it just it just goes to show you, like you know, like with some with so many of these athletes, like when they're when they're working out and they're exercising all the time, they eat whatever they want, and but when they retire, they still eat whatever they want, but they're fuck working out.
Speaker 3: They veg out like you wouldn't fuck that ship. Oh yeah, sake house every night.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine how I mean, imagine how sore his fucking legs are. All right, he's so goddamn tall, and his knees are shot, all right, they got to carry around his gargantuan body, you know, and all he wants to do is fucking eat steak and tacos. Well, I guess exactly fucking chills out watching TV with like a plate of nachos on his chest.
Speaker 3: Comes out and shorts a bit of an entourage.
Speaker 2: Just just picture Shack, all right, feed up, you know, in this massive great room, okay, in his house, and again just a fucking heaping plate of nachos on his chest. Last long, Nope, not going to last long.
Speaker 3: Heenan points out that he's got these really unfortunate sideburns. His head is completely bald, Shacks, except he's got a tuft of hair right at his temple.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like this weird these weird little stripes.
Speaker 3: Little patches.
Speaker 2: Not okay, it's not okay.
Speaker 3: And then goes so those pasting on sideburns, and.
Speaker 2: It looks like it looks like he took his eyebrows off and put him on by his ears.
Speaker 3: Nick Bockwinkle keeps whispering something to Shack.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know what it is.
Speaker 3: He's just trying to, like, butter him up and maybe make him feel comfortable.
Speaker 2: To you, what do you do exactly?
Speaker 3: And Nick goes out to lunch anyway, Flair music hits heen and goes, let's out of woo. Yes, yes, yes, he goes in a full mode. He says, I love it so much. Flair steps out in a purple robe, spark Hey, how come the champions coming out first? Chevan, that's why he's not on the call, so he can't point that out. Yeah, Flair steps out why on this show?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh no, probably wouldn't have got a paycheck if he didn't show up. Yeah, but you know the fact that they had him completely avoid Hogan in every way is so telling. So Flaire steps out, resplendent in his purple sparkling robe, and Cherry in the white and black lace and Flair smiling, strutting and twirling. It's a big moment for him. Sparkle was shooting there. He made it happen. He didn't just deliver on this night. He got Hogan into WW in so many ways.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Tony says that Churery'd have to admit it. A lot of the great athletes. No, he says, you'd all have to admit that of all the great athletes, this is the biggest. Michael Buffer is applauding and for flair as he steps in the ring.
Speaker 2: I don't know where that came from, the mother of all wars.
Speaker 3: Right here, we're told, as Tony says, the years he was champed, they always said, well, what about Hogan? Tonight we get the answer, and here's that music.
Speaker 25: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're aware of this, but about Hulk Hogan. But he is America.
Speaker 3: Made so glad to confirm that he's a man.
Speaker 2: Can may changing. And then wee man, he's got the.
Speaker 5: Red wating door running through his veins.
Speaker 2: Where was he like to eat? He was born writting him in the US a very and then I go into my custom lyrics. He's something on his son and he's us grade. If you like to munch on a shuckle the pane and then if you mess with the best, you're gonna have to run pay. Does that mean? I don't know. Did it stop me from repeating it for ten years, twelve years and forty years? No way, no way, amazing, that's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 3: He calls it to me, he does great, even though he's railing against Hogan the whole time. As soon as a music comes out, Heenan knows his role and he goes the roof's gonna come off here, you know. He immediately has to acknowledge the power of Hogan and the pod the pop gun pyro goes off above the entrance way. Jimmy Hart comes out with the megaphone. Mister t comes out with a towel in his hand and waves out the Hulkster and we cut to him after we see the idiot imitator in the crowd holds out cupping his ears for the first time on his way to the ring to wrestle in WCW flame shooting off. They gave him all the special effects and he's pointing on the way to the ring with his whole crew in tow And this is what I picture this exact entrance whenever I hear this entrance theme song. Is him walking out with like four people around him and just pointing at the ring like here we go.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's like that, that's the but in that, that's the Hogan that we would that we kind of know like become the no because he he you can't picture Hogan without a posse right anymore. You know, Hogan. Hogan is only Hogan if he's got his posse. So true.
Speaker 3: Heenan says, he's back and they're loving it. Yeah, smoke, fire and pandemonium. He then says, even more the Hulk Coloagan look alike. It looks even more like the guy we always see that they find in the crowd somewhere in a black bandana, which is interesting foreshadowing. Hulk chairs the shirt, hands it to Shaq. Heenan says, what I can't hear you? You know that goes They're on their feet. Cogan has returned. He theen says he's picking up where he left off. Shavanni. He wants to rule professional wrestling. Hulk rules, Yeah, Hulk rules, he says, not for long. Tony says, wsw what the world is watching now?
Speaker 2: He said it again.
Speaker 3: He said it again right at this critical moment. I mean that that that makes you realize that it is not just it wasn't just a slip of the tone. It's now like, oh shit, like that's what they're going for. Horrible, It's awful. There's a reason people still mention where the big boys play, but they don't mention you know what the world is.
Speaker 2: Watching now, Yeah, because that one sucks just awful.
Speaker 3: You can see as he steps behind Michael Buffer how tall Shack is like. The print on his shirt is over the shoulders of Michael Buffer in the foreground. He's such a fucking beast. Ladies and gentlemen. This match sanctioned by the WCW Championship Committee and will be supervised by w CW Commissioner mister Nick Bockwinkle. The referee assigned is Randy Anderson. Ladies and gentlemen. Just a few days the world will celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary of one of the greatest moments in the history of the twentieth century, Man's first steps on the surface of the Moon. Tonight, a quarter a quarter of a century later, just miles from the very site where Neil Armstrong and buzz Aldren were catapulted into outer space to meet their destiny, Tonight, two of the greatest stars and the world of professional wrestling are about to collide. Ladies and gentlemen from our Lindo, Florida. Let's get ready to rumble. Hogan pulling on the ropes flare with the tile pacing back rub for the Nature Boy by Sherry Ring is full of people, so many hangers on, it's like, oh no kidding a boxing ring. Introducing first accompanied by his manager, Jimmy Mouth from the South Heart Mouth from the South. Yes, you're to watch his back, providing security. The maniac Mugger from the South Side of Chicago. The infamous mister t. Do you know what infamous means?
Speaker 2: Infamous? Don't?
Speaker 3: That's not something to wear as a tagline.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Looks like such a fated celebrity in they're all bloated and still clinging to the look he is. He's a faded celebrity. He's got nothing left. Our Challenger comes in wearing yellow, weighing two hundred and seventy five and three quarter pounds. He is, without a doubt, one of the most well known faces in the world. Tonight, But tonight, the magazine covers and the movies must take a backseat tonight. O Hey, Hogan, force that one in there tonight. After a three year layoff. He said it again, he said three years again, three years he must, Ladies and gentlemen. Introducing the Challenger, a former five time world champion, the six foot seven inch Hulkster hulk Hogad he.
Speaker 2: Rips off the bandana rows. I love Michael Buffer, but man, he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Sometimes that's true, he really doesn't.
Speaker 3: Just reads what he's told to read, rips off the bandana as the ulksterra after his name is announced, throws it at Flair and the crowd explodes when he does that. I didn't see a WWF wrestling buddy in the crowd. Wild to see all this WWF merch being brought to the w C show. And good on them for introducing Hulk That was a nice detail. They didn't introduce him second, even though you know they rarely care about champion introductions.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I I did appreciate that he came out he came out last, but they did introduce him first, and that was a wise move.
Speaker 3: I thought, very much so, because it lets Flare kind of shine a little bit here. Yeah, because he's about to go down, but he he gets moment in the limelight as bigger, feeling bigger at least in this moment than Hulkogan, which is important for him and his opponent wearing the color purple. What did he get Spielberg's approval on it? Weighing two hundred and thirty four and one half pounds from Charlotte, North Carolina. We have one of the all time greats and professional wrestling. He enters the ring tonight in the company of Sensuous Sherry. And he enters this ring doing what he has done his entire career, meeting all obstacles and accepting all challenges. Why is he doing this proving again and again that he is indeed one of the all time greats. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the eleven time heavyweight Champion of the World, the Nature Boy Real and they break out and booze and Flair hits the rope signs as Flair as the man, eleven time champ Woo shack up, hoists the big gold especially high in his muscle shirt and shaking his head and shaking his head at Flair and Hogan next to Shaw like me and you fuck how fuck you up? And Hogan with the wristband of course with this is Hogan. So who's got to start wearing those sweat bands all the time in w CW. That's very w C W. Hogan to wear those Yes, the ring clears, Randy Anderson signals for the bell. Heenan says, I never thought i'd see them back in the ring, Shivanni, And here they are Hulk Hogan versus Rick Flair Bash at the Beach nineteen ninety four. They circle wild Hogan jogging around the ring. Oh yeah, he's got a cover base.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a flight seeing him because he's so fucking scrawn.
Speaker 3: I know, it's such a like when he takes that shirt off, it's like whoa.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just you know, he when you see him so thin and you see kind of everything's long, it's very weird because you.
Speaker 3: Never thought of long. We thought him as tall, but no lanky. Right right here he is and his lenkiest best. So they're circling and Hulk's getting a feel for the ropes and bouncing off of them. And Heenan says, the world title looks like cufflings or shaquill O'Neil, which is true, That is very true. Hogan smirks as they stare down, knowing they got to this point and it's something special. The main is a problem on Hogan does that it go too long in the back.
Speaker 2: It is a little too long, big problem, Yes, no question there there there are, There are problems. There are problems among us.
Speaker 3: Hogan all smiles, is there jaw jacking. Flair goes to shove and Hogan gets the brotherer face like we're gonna go that, We're gonna.
Speaker 2: Go like that.
Speaker 3: So then Flair the headlock shot off over the top he goes and Hogan tackles down Flair to a big pop. When Flair hits that mat, Flair like, holy shit, I can't believe the power I just felt. Back back up, lock up to the corner. Hogan shoves off Flair and you know what Flair does. I mean, if he's gonna get pushed off the corner, he's gonna go head over heels as he should, one corner of the ring of the other.
Speaker 2: For the industry. I mean, what do you think we're doing here? All right?
Speaker 3: Flair is wearing the light purple of his San Francisco toy maker's toy. Yes he is hard to deal with, but there it is.
Speaker 2: Yes he is, he says.
Speaker 3: Hogan is trimmed down, say the least.
Speaker 2: And he's definitely leaner that's for sure. Flair question about.
Speaker 3: That, ducks under and complains of a hair poll and acts like he's going to step to Jimmy hard and Heenan says, I'm gonna tell all the great points about hull Cogan that way when Rick beats him, so that will make me feel really great. So in other words, he's he's trying to like come up with a reason that he is a hull Cogan hater would be emphasizing so many positive qualities during the call of Hull Cogan, So credit to him for thinking that one through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Definitely when Bush comes to shove, they're gonna want Heenan to celebrate that bought that hul Cogan's in WCW more than to cry it. So Flair ducks under a lock up and struts around a bit and they cite the uh, they cite something, so the Flair tugs the rope. Heenan says, no one's buying popcorn or in the kitchen. They are glued to this match right now, which feels accurate, which is always nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, listen, I agreed to a degree that that is the case. It's still it's a weird bold claim.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just one guy getting popcorn and he ruins the whole thing. But right, right, I don't know when wrestler would announced. Wresting announcers make especially boisterous claims and they seem like they could be borderline true. Then you know you're actually dealing with something that actually is special because it doesn't sound like unfounded hyperbole, which they'll say whether it's justified or not. So Heenan says, talk about the butterflies that both have in their stomachs. Right now, is Hogan ducks under a lock up and does a strut mocking Ric Flair, even combs his hair like Ric Flair does, brushes it back, does the woo, and they kind of love it. They love that he's in here cocky enough to mock the nature boy and Flair has to stand there and take it. The way he popped up with his hips with his hands on his hips, Hogan, it's so funny. Yeah, the way he's brilliant doing the right guard pose or whatever it is. Hogan, think of his face like stroke at his chin at wrestlemane.
Speaker 2: Oh god, he's so annoying. He's annoying brook teen. He's excited though, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A little eight year old to whatever she is. Yeah, yeah, good eyes. She's ready lock up. Flair to the headlock and the hammer lock, and he picks the leg of the Holkster and hammer locks him. And you can hear the fans like that that Flair is out wrestling Hogan and Flair puts the arm ring around Holk gets onto his knee and Tony says, fans are responding to every movie here as Flair is creaking the wrist, Hogan gets up.
Speaker 2: Nothing's happened. I know there's work in the arm like nothing like Shavani. They haven't had enough moves for people to react like they've done nothing.
Speaker 3: They do love that Flair put Hogan on the mat. They do love that. But Flair then trips him down and maintains control. Flair with a woo for the people and talk about how even the referee must be nervous.
Speaker 2: This is so big.
Speaker 3: That's what they say in commentary, which I thought was a nice touch. They don't want to make it. You know, the ref is feeling pressure too. They point out, he doesn't want to make a bad call or have to disqualify somebody and be the bad guy and then ruin this historic matchup. I really like that one, kind of getting you into the psychology of the ref a bit. They don't do that enough.
Speaker 2: Hogan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, you know what I mean? It works, Yeah, making them feel kind of human too. You don't want to overemphasize because the ref should never be two gratuitous a part of the match, but to never mention them it's kind of weird too, agreed. Hogan comes up and Flair yanks him down again. Tony says, Sherry is barred last Saturday. However, Flair made sure that Nick Bockwinkle told us she would be here at ringside, so she was instrumental and Flair becoming the unified champion, they point out, and she will they expect to have an involvement here. Hogan is reversed and pulls down Rick Flair to will pop. He does the new Japan arm bar for the industry.
Speaker 2: You know that goes, I mean, Jesus Christ, he definitely, you know, he steps, he does, he does. Listen, he brought in he brought in his arsenal from from Japan because he's here to wrestle. Not just fight the bullshit they do in New York.
Speaker 3: Claire Flair stands up, gets on the chin and steps on Hogan Hogan's face as a matter of fact, puts the boot on the chin and Hogan pops up and does a hoof at that one, and Flair takes off, takes off, pulls sherry in front of them, immediately shield fans want and this is it?
Speaker 2: She fucking tons.
Speaker 3: He's pointing at her, she's pointing at him.
Speaker 2: What kind of champion is amazing? It's amazing.
Speaker 3: Jaw jacking, Flair keeping it school on the floor, not worried, Hogan doing this, arms back and forth, pumped up thing. They get back in the ring, lock up, Hogan shifts to the drop toe hold because again, we're not on the side of the Pacific.
Speaker 2: You think we are, No, we're not.
Speaker 3: Is concerned that ring at bash of the beach is the jurisdiction of Japan.
Speaker 2: I guess. So that's what I'm learning, because he's working holds like he's exactly he is out there. He's chain grappling. Thank you, Okay, the chain is out and he's grappling off the chain in a lot of ways. What the fuck's amazing. So he does really drop to such a wild thing.
Speaker 3: Drop toe hold, like, come on, Hogan, big goofy ass hole Kogan.
Speaker 2: He's seriously like, yeah, exactly with his fucking like tree trunk legs, you know, like these these these long things, and he's just dropping down. God trip that, like, brother, you'll do I think we should do drop toward calling it in the locker room, you know. Flair to the middle rope, Ahogan running back on Flair's head on the ropes, and Flair comes up and charges and uh goes into the corner. Flair bumping for these hard and fast. He's knocking them around. Flair is so intense, the way he's taking these shots. Whipped to the corner, Hogan clips him with the lariat and Flair flops backwards into the center of the ring, begging off. Now back up whipping A boot goes up, but Flair hangs on and bales before he eats the big boot. Flair gets behind Sherry again to shield himself. Hogan comes out with the fist cock. Jimmy Hart at this point comes over and Hogan pushes Sherry off to the side and Flair catches Hogan on the way in with the knee of the face and some boots to the corner. Chopped by the nature boy, Hogan stumbles out and another from Flair, and we get the over the shoulder shot of Shaquila Neil watching very intently.
Speaker 3: He just takes it all in. He doesn't disappear. Flaire goes to the gut and her right hand to the face and a snapmre. He calls for the knee drop. We can hear it loudly on the broadcast. He does hear that, and then indeed he does it. Hogan comes up hoofing, though he comes up hoofing from the knee drop, and Flare is begging off in the corner. At that Hogan does a corner mount ring down, some punches, then waves the finger. He's not gonna punch, He's gonna bite. He starts biting with Claire in the forehead. Finally, Flair punches away at the count of nine, corner to corner.
Speaker 2: Whipon.
Speaker 3: Flaiir bounces off, Glariot down goes Flair. Flare's begging off again. Hogan sends him into the far corner and then the opposite corner. A right hand wobbles the nature boy. Sherry grabs the ankle on the ropes and Rick ambushes him with a flying knee to the back. Sherry with her hands on her hips, doing a little gloating dance, very proud of herself at ringside, and he says, Hulk was going to kick her. That's what happened. That's Flaire chops Hulk up and over the ropes, Hulk taking the big bump off the chop man. Holp's here to each chump plunge over the top.
Speaker 2: He's listen again. He's here, he's here to work. He's got his boots on. Okay, boots are on. He's ready to go. And uh.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 2: Like, can you imagine that? Part of me was one thinking to myself, so so so Flair's got Hogan going for the ride, and what if what if Flair fucking just took Hogan right in front of his family and just fucking took a razor to Hogan's head right in front of his fucking kid kids, you know, and his wife and Chris Lemon Hogan agrees too, you know, exactly, yeah, exactly, that's the thing, Brothers, some color dude, Let's get some hisy dude, and get some color right in front of the fan. Brother, I love it. That's great idea. Maybe we could stab him in the head with a fork too, He's got that ball and there we go. Oh god, this is a fucking vile.
Speaker 3: Things that could have been. After Flair chops Hogan out of the ring, But what does happen to Sherry grabs a red a folding chair, she lifts it up and Jimmy Hart makes this the save to a pop, takes it away and here we see Linda watching in the front row as Flaire stomps from the apron to Hulk's head. Flaire rams Hulk into the guardrail. Hogan chance break out. As Hoglan's rolled back into the ring, Flair climbs up and rains down a single axe handle blow. Flair walking around, pointing and talking shit to Bill Shaw and Tony and Oki Aaron, Hank Aaron, and then he turns Hulk's body around on the mattin lines up the knee drop perfectly. Heenan says, don't waste a second, Rick, don't waste a second. That's just such a wonderful attitud from Bobby Heena to be saying that because he's still nervous, and he still wants Rick to just grab the victory as soon as you can possibly get it. It's such a lack of confidence. You know that Hogan isn't gonna at some point come back. Jimmy Hart with the megaphone gets the Hogan chant going. Heenan tells him to shut up, but they don't. To the corner, they go and Flare with the right hands. Hogan starts firing back and takes some chops and fires through and throws chops of his own right hand drops the nature boy.
Speaker 2: Heen doing the hole.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on. When Flare starts losing ground the greatest things in wrestling. When he does that, Flair begs off. Oh talk about it.
Speaker 2: It's just I mean, all of this between Heenan and his reactions Flair Flair. When when Flair backs off Hogan, We've seen him do the same thing a million times to other people, but when he does it with Hogan, there's something about it I just cannot describe. It's there's something more electric about it. There's something that it means more when it's Hogan who's not responding to Flair's yes moves, It's just it's great.
Speaker 3: There just seems to be more genuine fear in Flaire's eyes that there is absolutely nothing he can truly do to hurt this man. Yeah, and the way Hogan carries himself and the size differential is perfect to get that across, Like even Stain similarly sized to Flair. So it was like, yes, it was hard to believe that Flair was really freaking out that his chops weren't working. But with Hogan, it's like, oh my god, this guy keeps coming forward and and and you know what adds to it, honestly for this particular match is Tony because there is something just I love hearing how passionate Tony Shavanni gets when Hogan is like getting on the attack, an attack with Hogan.
Speaker 4: Shut up, he's taken the tow.
Speaker 2: My mom.
Speaker 23: Took his desk top and he's walking right straight toward the nighttime.
Speaker 2: Boy again fucking Bravo, Like like Chavanni is in there, he is, he's fucking money all right, like you know, really he's he's he he brings such a passion like you get you feel like he's genuinely excited that Hulk Hogan is there. Yes, you do and it was.
Speaker 3: But he's watching Hulk Hogan. Yeah, he gets to call all the Cogan matches. Now, that's like, yep, the pinnacle of announcing at the time. Yeah, yeah, it must be something to be to feel like, oh my god, I'm watching something that is not clearly inferior from a public perception standpoint to WWS wrestling, and in fact I'm watching something that actually has an honest shot of taking us pay more seriously, which I would like, just professionally to be the case. And yeah, so heen is losing his mind. Flare begs off hold him with the right hand. Flair drops down with a double leg and tries to get two feet on the rope to cheat and get a count.
Speaker 2: But no count.
Speaker 3: I don't even know why the ref didn't bother Flair with some chops corner corner reversed and Flair hits Hulk drops him with a Larry Flair hits the buckle, and Hulk drops him with the Big lariat and covers him for two. Heenan says, Rick's got to realize how much time is left and where the ropes are cover Come on, come on. Flair goes up to the gut snapmar on a sleeper hold by the Nature Boy. As Jimmy hard is saying watch the choke into the megaphone, Hogan chant breaks out. They get a nice panting shot of the Orlando Arenas. Tony calls it the biggest wrestling pay per view if I ever, because these two, the two greatest superstars in the history of wrestling, are battling it out. And he says of all time, as a matter of fact. And Tony says, I think that's what I said all the time. He says, I can here. It's deafening in here. You don't have to yell at me. He says, quote, you don't have to yell at me, Shavanni, I'm not blind, Bill Shaw. They're still standing next to Nick Bockwinkle watching things. He's locked in like he's watching Julius Irving or something like that. And Jimmy on the megaphone, this is what we waited for, baby, All the hula maniacs over the world. Man, come on, baby Hulk and the Hulka Phone is what they call him, the Hulcaphone.
Speaker 2: The Hulk of Phone. Come on, What the fuck is that about?
Speaker 3: You see Linda shouting I love that. I love people who know it's a fake when they go to the match, is still cheer on their relatives like it's real. Anderson raises the arm twice, but not the third time. The fingers start waggon.
Speaker 2: You know what that means. And you know what even fucking Randy Anderson is exciting that right when Hogan's arm, Yeah, you look at his face. He's excited that Hogan's arm doesn't drop the third time.
Speaker 3: Business is picking up. Everyone has a role to play, so the fingers wag Hulk builds up. Heenan, I don't like the looks of this, and he says. Hogan elbows out of the whole tackle tackle.
Speaker 2: Flair begs off.
Speaker 3: Hogan throws on the head corner a corner Whitflair goes inside out to the apron because Flair's about to turn the fucking heat up.
Speaker 2: All right, listen, listen, He's here. He's here to take everything up.
Speaker 3: A notch, takes the buckle like that, lands on the apron and bam eats a lariot and takes the big bump off of the apron. His Tony says, upside down downtown Orlando, He's fired up. Hogan, Oh yeah, goes out after him. Flair swings Douc. Flair takes a backsuplex right there on the floor. He then says that's a bad move. If Flare counted out, he keeps the title. If Flair is counted out, he's going to keep the title. He's screaming, he's panicked. We need more panic denouncers and wrestling. We need someone at ringside who's panicking at the prospect of one or the other guy losing. Flair goes to the apron, Hogan snatches him outside in soup lex from Hogan. Hogan's signals he's gonna get the one, two, three cups. The year goes up, missus the leg drop. We haven't seen Hogan miss the leg drop since fucking wrestling.
Speaker 2: He's six wool and that's and that and again, like I mentioned earlier, the fact that Hogan goes for the leg drop like in the middle of the mask. Yes, that's right, that's important. That is incredibly important.
Speaker 3: At the end of the comeback, the punches in the boot, right, he needs to slap the figure for on him and take him to school. And uh, he even calls He even calls back to the episode of w W Saturday Night when Flair clipped the leg of Hogan and that ping dibbn's ear. So Flair hooks the leg and steps over, but an inside cradle and their nuts for that one too. Not enough for the Hulkster, but men were they into it. Flair back on the leg, steps over, Hogan kicks them off. Flair takes the bump on the matt ailing as Hulk Hogan as Rick Flair closes in, steps over and again he's kicked off. Flair closes in once again, hooks up a sup plex and my god, does Flaire deliver the best sup plex Hulk Cogan has ever taken in his fucking lift. He elevates, he delays, and he dumps. It's awesome and Hogan immediately turns and stands up and he and he goes yes, yes, yes, when Flaiir hits it, and then when Hogan stands up, he goes no, no, no, Hogan Ogan wagging the finger, No big boot, right hands, they're channing the big boot. He kicks him and then he whips him in and hits the big boot right here into the face. Cover one two for the ref can slap three Sherry pulls the referee out and throws the ref into the guard rail, and Jimmy Hart comes over and Sherry decks him as well. Hogan is now kind of like pointing down at Sherry from the ring, and Flair Chop blocks the leg from behind on the Hulkster. He's dragging Hulk to the corner now so Sherry can climb the ropes and she's and she goes up and she's fucking great. She just soars and splashes Hulkgan off the top.
Speaker 2: Roy, please, I need more like just Sherry O.
Speaker 3: Reason he called upon her to make this first WCW match work.
Speaker 2: Yes, he knows what she can do.
Speaker 3: Sherry slides out of the ring, the referees out as well. Doug Dillinger is out chicking on things, and Nick Patrick.
Speaker 2: Is the referee now, Jesus fucking Christ exactly as if we need Nick Patrick.
Speaker 3: Again, all your prayers answer Boss, the worst of the worst.
Speaker 2: He slides in.
Speaker 3: Heenan notes he's not waving it off here, he's letting it go. Flair turns over, drop down, locks out the figure four. There's a pop there for sure. Sherry starts celebrating. Heen and hey, the legs. Take it that he sees. He keeps saying, those are legs that haven't been in the ring in three years.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, enough with this ship with stand.
Speaker 3: The figure four, snap it like a chicken wing heen and says their fever pitch in Orlando. They're standing, they are. Hogan is reaching for the ceiling, trying to draw the strength. Hogan fans leaning over the rail and everything. Hulk backs into the ropes, grabs the ropes. Flair gives the break. He grabs Nick Patrick, and Sherry comes over and she takes off her pantyhose and chokes Hulk with it and.
Speaker 2: Rags his face. I fuck please, I love it. She's such a fuck crook.
Speaker 8: She is she is. Oh.
Speaker 3: Flair kicks the leg. Hogan is standing but limping. Heenan with a great Hogan's hurt like he smells blood in the water. Tony says she looked to Nick. He said it's fine for Nick to continue the match since Randy is unable to. It's fine according to Nick Buckwinkle that Nick Patrick continues referee with Randy Anderson undisposed. Rick kicking away the leg chop. Hulk's hair is stringy now man, he is in full sweat. He is soaking, and that means the hair is cascading down almost like icicles another and Hulk is like no, no. Heenan says, oh my no. Flair attacking the body. Heenan switches gears and says, says, switch gears, turn it on nature Boy, and Flair is backing up, realizing that nothing is working, and he it's panicking because it's not work, and he's telling himself that Flair can just kick into another gear and hurd Hogan again it's not working. Hogan's slugging away six times with the right hands corner to corner whip. Flair takes a back elbow. Hogan sells that great. Sherry gets on top, ref sees it, pointing her out. She leaps aimlessly and they pop at that. She leaps and misses. Flair goes up, Hogan cuts him off. This is the wrestling business. This is Rick Flair on pay per view in the main event. He's going to get gorilla pressed off the top rope. And that's exactly, of course, that's what needs to happen, all right, What do you think we're fucking here to do? Flair picks up Sherry. Hogan hits Flair with a lariat and uh and that doesn't that cause him to swat at Sherry yep, and she drops out.
Speaker 24: Ye.
Speaker 3: Hogan strets around, cuts the year, steps into the figure four. Tony loses his mind to the prospect of Hulk Cogan applying the figure four.
Speaker 8: This is yes.
Speaker 3: I did not remember this spot until I watched it back. That Hulk goes for the figure four. It's insane this match, is it really?
Speaker 2: Yes? This is what's going on for a huole comania.
Speaker 3: Heenan says, if he beats him with his own hold, this will be the biggest disgrace in the history of wrestling. Sherry gets on the apron trying to get the object out of her legs. She's got some foreign object, and Hogan grabs their object.
Speaker 2: It goes flying.
Speaker 3: Sherry falls down onto mister t whose ring side, and mister t just holds her like he's taken her across the threshold and walks her off. He's gonna take care of her, that's his role, as Heenan says, he's kidnapping her. Linda with a great cell. As Sherry falls down onto mister T. She like recoils from the guardbrail, like, oh my god, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Flair.
Speaker 3: He's got the object now, the one that Sherry tossed before she gets knocked into the waiting arms of mister T. Yeah, he's got the object. It's basically white knucks and he nails Hogan in the face with it, and Hogan falls down, and you think this is it. You think they're gonna screw Hogan. Flaiir covers one too.
Speaker 2: You do get that vibe, he really did, do you honestly get the vibe like it seems like it might happen because Hogan's already gone for the leg drop, you know, all all these all these things. It seems like it might happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were smart about kind of like you're saying, taking those cues that the match might be over and in front loading them in the match, and all of a sudden, it's like.
Speaker 2: Oh where else are they gonna go? Here?
Speaker 3: So Flair covers one two, Hogan kicks out. He hulks up. Damn it, Heenan says, realizing what's happening. Oh boy, Claire hitting him to the knees. He says, I've seen this so many times, he still gets the hair shaken. He's got the adrenaline.
Speaker 2: Hulkaman. He is alive.
Speaker 3: He declares like he like it's Frankenstein's Monsters, and then Flair swings. No cell but the Hulkster over and over, No Cell. Flair hits and he's dropped by a tackle, hits the ropes. Hogan right hands, crowd counting along with him, Irish whip, big boot.
Speaker 8: Here we go.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna We're gonna play this because it's home Pal Hogan in the w W ring.
Speaker 5: Hogan is still going.
Speaker 8: He is still going.
Speaker 5: Back.
Speaker 2: No, yes, I do like, I don't want to think that, so no, no, I no.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine tucking that into the announcement of Hogan winning his first w c W belt.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is wrong with that guy? So random seven get out of here cares? Who fucking cares about six foot seven idiots?
Speaker 3: So they get some real fireworks up in the air. He didn't great on the go home. I'll do anything because he knows he's hitting the ropes. It's over, yea, great stuff, great stuff. They're all in there, sweating like crazy with the title. Holgan has a hug for Bill Shaw. Fireworks dissolve over the image and Heenan's as Tony tell me, it's a nightmare. Is Hull Cochan the heavyweight Champion of the World and Tony says, it's for real, hulkmen he is alive in World Championship Wrestling. Heenan says his first month in WSW he sets the all time attendance record, pay per view record for WCW searts match rather, i should say, and becomes heavyweight Champion of the World and breaks down like he's crying at all of these things that Hulk Cochin has achieved. Man, did Bobby Heenan earn his money on this night or what?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: This was a good one. This was you know this, this had shade that There's nothing that can, of course top his his two royal rumble calls, But you know this is for an individual match.
Speaker 3: This is top notche Yeah, this is what WCW paid for when they paid for Bobby Heenon right here, right exactly, Arkler shooting up the aisle way, Hogan posing. Heenan says, it's the worst day and Tony says, it's a great day. And the history of professional wrestlings two great champions come together and the Holkster becomes the w W Heavyweight Champion of the World. Heenan with the what is going to happen on Saturday Night line and uh Holdan gloating and flanding. They're wondering is he going to goat and flaunt about this? Jimmy's cackling away in the megaphone. Is Hogan cups and poses for all four sides of the ring here in World Championship Wrestling. You can see Nick a little Nick there down with with with family, Linda standing up as well, Hogan telling him to get up and cupping, and Tony says, a lot of build up. You've got here, one of the greatest matches we've ever had. Both men were ready, both in phenomenal shape, Both men had come to fight, and in the end it was the Holkster's big foot and big legs. See you and Heenan says it's the greatest match he's ever seen.
Speaker 2: He does to come out and say that, well, I mean that is that is a fucking that's a that's a statement, that is a statement, great, greatest match I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Hogan up the aisle time he says time that it's time left. You can tell they're dragging this one out as cam.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I know, because there's like a ten minute PostScript for christ yep.
Speaker 3: They they they show Hogan walking around in the back. You catch a shot at Bischoff for a second. You can see him there. You can see a better angle on the white forne object. They replay that that flare hit him with there in the critical final moments and they ask Hulk gine Oakerland does what can you say? And you see Bishoff there. I told Brutus, I told you three months ago what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm wondering where fuck Bruteye was. I'm during this fucking match. They have mister t in shack, but not not brute Eye.
Speaker 3: See Brian Blair as well, Hogan's other buddy from Tampa Brothers there. Then he steps to Hacksaw. He says, you look and Slim and Trim brother, the hack attack is back, brother, I like it. To the dressing room get and they say we're going to get more word with the Hulks tournament. And I don't know why they do it twice, but they do.
Speaker 2: I know it's it's ridiculous, but over heal heart and.
Speaker 3: The ability to come back from the figure four and uh, Jimmy Harrit comes in all the whope maniacs. He's often like an interview location. Jean greets him to some applause. I have been down the road with this man.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 16: Here we go, all right, I thank you very much, Tony, Bobby Heenan, and this capacity crowd on hand and dignitaries are filling this reception.
Speaker 1: Are you, ladies and gentlemen. I have been down the road with this man.
Speaker 16: And they used to say, back in the prohibition days, the good old days are back.
Speaker 1: And believe me, hul Cogan, congratulate.
Speaker 16: Boy, whatever ventilations WCW Heavyweight Champion.
Speaker 1: You have done it again, my friend.
Speaker 5: What a day. Well you know something mean, Gene, Everything that was old is now new again.
Speaker 15: Brother.
Speaker 5: And I told all the Hulk of maniacs, how'd you like to go on one long ride?
Speaker 2: And he said, yeah, Brother, we like to go.
Speaker 24: I said, well, that's cool, just as long is the hostess driving brother in tonight in Orlando, all the way around the world, all the way to New York City. Brother Tokyo Japan, Africa, Asia, at all points in between. Hawk Mania is running more powerful than it's ever been. Jimmy Hart was watching my back, Mister t the Maniac Mugger was roaming the crowd. Shack Attack, who was hanging on the belt, was shaking his head all the way through.
Speaker 2: For Hulk of Mania.
Speaker 24: I had George Foreman on my Hulk of Home Brother giving me beat by beat instructions, and all I.
Speaker 5: Got to say is I pity the fool brother.
Speaker 24: I feel sorry for Rick Flair because as the thousands of Hawk of Maniacs we're stocking the arena.
Speaker 5: Hack Saw Jim Duggan, one of my number one Hawk of Maniacs. The saw the crowd.
Speaker 24: Great product for coming out. Man Pilman was there, Johnny b Bad was there. We were rocking and rolling the place. And what is the w c W gonna do now that Hulkster still rules?
Speaker 1: WHOA what I gonna a great idea.
Speaker 16: I'm certain that these fans here are gonna partake in a little food and drink that I ryan great to see you, Brutus the Barber Beefcake.
Speaker 1: Brian Pillman is here.
Speaker 16: Bill Shaw, President a world champ, The Guardian Angel, and what about the contingent from Japan Saito Anookie and dignit Terry's from all over the world, hammering Hank Aaron is here, shut keel O'Neill.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a turnout.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, we knew this if these are not new people, old news like I don't. He's acting like we haven't seen them all fucking night.
Speaker 3: Know who we do see for the first time? Did you see Brian Pillman?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did, standing behind Holt, just looking at the camera just like he's in it. And that was another fucking guy put off to the sidelines. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well he was there, I guess as a potential fill in for the Johnny b Bad match.
Speaker 2: If oh okay, if Johnny be bad, what could.
Speaker 3: If they picked if they picked him instead of Stinging. They knew they needed somebody to replace Sting, and I guess they had Pilman there and standby. But according to what I was kind of sensing from people watching this back, Pillman kind of inserted himself in that position. You know, he and Hope Pulp calls on him, Hope calls his name.
Speaker 2: Out and everything.
Speaker 3: But as far as like being right there and a way, you can't possibly not see him, you know. It's uh, it's pretty hilarious. Actually, it is funny because he's just like he's almost he's like photo bombing hul Cogan, you know, is what he's doing. And uh, it's it's pretty it's pretty hilarious. So watch for that as well.
Speaker 21: Here we go.
Speaker 23: This is my life.
Speaker 5: Oh, brother Flair was caged in, dude.
Speaker 24: The shack attack told me that all I had to do was stand there and lay the brother up, you know, lay him from one corner to the other. And then as if he tried to make his escape, mister t was there to bend him in a big old pretzel. And if we bet him in a ball, Shack was gonna slam him. And as he bounced off the floor, Hammer and Hank was gonna knock him back into ring.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 5: So Rick Flair, you had no.
Speaker 24: Choice, no choice, brother, You had to face haul come in. Yet you had to feel the power in me and Geane. Can you imagine now with all those little maniacs in the WCW, with the shack attack, with George Foreman, with everybody wearing the headbands hiding their dome, with everybody ripping the shirts off, brother, with my shirts being torn all around the world, can you imagine the pythons the power I'm gonna have when I step in that ring again with my next opponent.
Speaker 16: Brother, And I'd like to know who that's gonna be, because I've got a feeling there's gonna be.
Speaker 1: A lot of them standing in line.
Speaker 5: I just feel sorry for the next dude.
Speaker 24: Rick Flair walked that out on profile too many times. As far as I'm concerned, I told the brother to leave his limo running fill the lerigit up with gas, because as soon as we get done partying, me and all my brothers here at the WCW, we're fighting all the way back to Fedis Beach and we're gonna.
Speaker 5: Be riding tiger Sharks this weekend. Dude, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 16: Well, I'm gonna be there to do it and be part of it. Ladies and gentlemen from Orlando, Florida. Run the Receptionnario for Tony Savannibadi Ventura, even for the brain Bobby Heenan, who's really done on his luck.
Speaker 23: Let's go back to you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to see gene on a fucking Tiger shirt. Yeah, we'll get factor it in. Man.
Speaker 3: Everything they could do to kill a whole Comania has failed, they declare, and whole Comedia is the most powerful force in the universe. WCW Boss. But the world is watching now, and.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah it is what they're watching now because wrestling's cool again.
Speaker 3: And for all of us at WCW, Tony Giovanni says, here, well you.
Speaker 2: Got it, because this is just fucking this is just ridiculous, WCW.
Speaker 17: What the world is watching now advance for all of us at WCW, I Tony Shivanni is saying, presling is cool again.
Speaker 23: Have a good night.
Speaker 3: I'll say what you will. But as the credits roll, what a feeling going to bed on a summer vacation in nineteen ninety four to this happy music, knowing we're good, We're good, Hulk Hogan is still Hulk Hogan and everything it's gonna be all right, damn right.
Speaker 2: Is a Presiding Announcement as a Tea J.
Speaker 14: DeSantis production. Its content is intended for private use only.