Speaker 1: It's the three Whiskey Happy Hour, the podcast dedicated to single molts and blended opinions with your hosts Steve Hayward, John You, and some mystery woman named Lucretia, along with the floating cast of regular guests. So pour yourself, adrom and settle in for another episode of one hundred Proof Conversation.
Speaker 2: I want to start today by first giving a shout out to our new voiceover artists for our introduction. It's Colin MacLean of Norwich, England, and I'll say more about him on our closing show notes at the end or in the actual show notes printed on the website. But for today, because John You is away traveling and doing his usual nonsense, we are delighted to have Phil Munio's from the University of Notre Dame joining us, filling John seat as the I guess sort of a legal andlst but generally just all around hail fellow, well met.
Speaker 3: Just seut of curiosity. How does John feel about that? Phil?
Speaker 4: I think we should all look like this, as you know, like an upgrade from economy to economy plus.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, but we want to get the business class. But look, you know, we already hadn't mind having you on the show in John's place now and then, but it turns out to be really timely because you have just published an article that the kids these days would call a banger. I think it's your article in the First Things that just came to my mailbox three four days ago, maybe last week, I'm not sure, called the Founders and the Common Good, and it's getting some buzz I have noticed, which I think is you know, also significant and interesting. So the Founders of the Common Good you're taking on, you know, the post liberals, I guess, and the whole revival of the idea of the common good. And a lot to be said here. But I want for our listeners who are not schooled, and you know, as much as we try to educate our listeners in political philosophy and so forth, many of them are not well schooled. And some of the things that are so familiar to us and five levels deep. So I want to start out simple in any case, So why don't we do this when we say liberalism, let's start really simple. Liberalism is not, I always say, just tax and spend and big government regulation, not the Democratic Party platform. I understand why that's the commonplace word for it. But I mean it's something different and richer and deeper than that. So why don't you Your article gives a couple of definitions, So why don't you fill start out and give us your thumbnail definition of what is meant by liberalism when we're talking about it in these terms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, thanks for having me on. I'm no substitute for John Yu and I love listening to this show, as you know, so it's real fun for me to be on. You ask what do I mean by liberalism? I mean the term. Different people use the term in different ways, And for a while I would distinguish what I would call classical liberalism, and I talk about the founders classical liberalism as opposed to modern liberalism, and people get confused, and what about political liberalism, you know, which by you know, contemporary democrats. So for the purposes of this article or with the post liberals called liberalism, I narrow it down to two kind of key elements. The first is that human freedom is wilful choice, and there's an implicit anthropology, or an implicit understanding of what human beings are. Human beings are creative, willful, beings. To put it in a different way, we are our own gods, We are creators, our own legislators, and so that some people say, you know, we need to author our own laws something like that, as opposed to play the role that our creator has authored for us, or accept the place that the creator has authored for us. Okay, So that's the first time liberalism that the human will, human desire is the fundamental attribute of human nature. And then the second attribute of liberalism, as I'm using it here is the role of the government is to be neutral. The purpose of government is simply to for as many people to let them author their own lives in whatever way they want. And the academic way of putting this is that the government is neutral towards competing conceptions of the good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I want to hold that thought, and I actually want to ask Linda to answer the question, is her stay liberal state in practice actually neutral? Hold that for now, because I suspect it. We'll summon forth an epic rant or not all promptu lucretia. Now I hold it for now. I want to dwell on that first point a bit about sometimes if I'm asked for a one sentence definition I will say liberalism, classical liberalis is the idea that individuals should be free to pursue their own self chosen purposes, which is will forless. It's as parallels yours. That's also John Stuart Mel. It's not original to me. I've just paraphrased him. But of course it does then imply if he just ended there, that there's no standard of judgment. All purposes are equal right, equally good or equally bad, because we've abandoned a judgment on good and bad. But then also, this is something lately I can't believe I've never thought of this before. I've been having a back and forth with Paul Gottfried, one of the famous old paleocons. I've come to like the guy a little more. Of course, he's very old now and he's mellowed a bit, and you know I mellowed when I was five years old anyway. And he points out that.
Speaker 4: Look, you're.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, it's because I never mind. Where was I going with that? Oh no, it was about how uh, if you're a progressive, or even worse, a tyrant, you really want people to think of themselves as autonomous individuals cut off from any other wider communities because it makes you easier to govern and tyrannize over right, And they said that's the one part of the liberal tradition that will Woodrow Wilson the Progressives actually wanted to keep. I thought, oh, I think he's right about that. I'm not which part, well, the part of you you want people to conceive of themselves as willful individuals, creating their own purposes, owing no obligation to any social community or even their own families, right their churches, their union halls, because it makes them easier for a large government to dominate. I think there's something to that. I'm not sure if they ever put.
Speaker 3: It in that I would probably that's a central tenet of Marxism. Steve it cut a little bit watered down, But of course the idea is that you everything in the state, nothing outside of the state, whatever the stupid phrase is. And one of the but but follow on Marx. Marx had the same idea that you destroy those communities and those relationships that that make people truly human, and then you replace him, of course, with a complete and total reliance upon dependence upon the state, and then you make people very easy to control and so I think, I guess what I'm saying is is that to the extent that progressivism or liberalism is just watered down and less and less watered down these days of socialism, communism. I think that that's absolutely true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I was trying to say something like that. I was just winging it. Let me do this. I want to read to you a couple of sentences from your first paragraph and then bring up an other term to be talked about a bit, and that term is common good. So here's what you wrote. Liberalism, so understood, is both relativistic and ultimately nihilistic. It makes the individual's will sovereign over reality. It denies the existence of a common good because it holds that there are no rational, intrinsic goods that human beings hold in common. The essence of man, in the liberal view, is willful individual choice, asserting one's view of oneself and of reality, and then shaping one's life in light of that positive worldview. That's the end of the quote you do. Before that quote the famous Mystery of the Universe class from Justice Kennedy, which i'll leave out for now. I wish i'd written that passage I think it's really good. But then I think it should be added that to the extent that there could be. I mean, maybe someone would argue back to you that the common good or the public interest. I mean this is something that I remembered at Irving Crystal and Dan Bell when they founded the Public Interest magazine in the sixty said they said something like, we don't think the public interest, if that's equivalent of the common good, is simply the sum total of private preferences. You know what's the common good just sort of lays a fair view. Let everybody pursue their private purposes, and it'll spontaneously order itself, in the libertarian view, into the best of all possible worlds. And so there's still no substance of view there. It's a procedural view. Is that a fair characterization or how do you I should be thinking about the term common good in the context of this current conversation going on?
Speaker 4: Well, you know the example I use with my students, and you know, I teach a notre dame. So this you got to speak the language they understand and.
Speaker 3: Which means what, by the way, not Christian Catholic doctrine. I'm to assume no, I know something, but it should be even more more fundamental here at Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: So what's the common good of the Notre Dame football team?
Speaker 2: Winning?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, So what's the good of the quarterback? You know? When? Is how in? And the quarterback doesn't have a good that is really can be comprehended or understood apart from the good of the team. When the team wins, the quarterback wins, but the quarterback's enjoyment or satisfaction or excellence in the winning uh is not diminished by the running back also winning. It really is a good enjoyed, enjoyed, experienced in common and that's part of a team, right, And it's it's it's a very simple way. It's not perfect, but it's a way of understanding the common goods. So common goods and sort of a technical definition or goods that when I enjoy it, if we have a common good, when I enjoy it, your enjoyment isn't diminished or decreased at all.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So, so healthcare, sorry to bring that up just off the top of my mind, is not really a common good because it's a scarce resource. And if I and if I enjoy it, you can't you can't enjoy. You know, if if if the doctors doing surgery on me, he can't be doing surgery at you at the same time. Whereas if the nation is providing defense for me, it's also providing defense for you.
Speaker 3: And I play Devil's advocate. Say that again, Yeah, I played Devil's advocate for a moment. By that definition, Sorry to do this family show, But since Minneapolis has recently resurrected this lovely institution, people gays who who hang out in and have public sex and public bathhouses can all be said to be sharing a common good, and one's sharing of it does not reduce the sharing of by another person. That's way. I don't really fully believe that, but I'm I really am trying to play Devil's advocate that. In fact, it's not just enough to say that that a common good is something that you and I can both enjoy without diminishing it for the other person. There is something more to it, and that's my point.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, sure, sure, I mean you can say that's a necessary but not sufficient common goods. So there are different common goods, right, So the common good of the football team is winning the real question is what's the common good of the political community, because that are not within the political community too. I mean this is this is part of the problem. People assume that whatever whatever common goods I mean there really are common goods. Whatever the common good is, the political community must aim at it. No, there's a political common good proper to the political community. But there are other common goods. There's a common good of the moon Yo's household and is for the moon Yo's household. There's the common good of the University of Notre Dame, which is separate. You know, it's a private school. It's its own thing. There's the common good of the nation. There's common goods within the church itself, right, and those are not So it's it's the real question is what is the common good of the political community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's let's linger on this a little bit and bring in a constitutional dimension. Perhaps the first point is I'll just make this we don't have to discuss. If we can come back to it, is what is the common good? Let's use your football metaphor. Yeah, you want to win. Do you want the people on the team to be happy and play with you? Play the roles and so the team prospers together. But even that is controversial. You know, is it a run player or a pass play? You know, I want the ball, You're not giving me the ball often enough? Right, And now that's a you know, kind of simplistic analogy. But the point is that what is the public interest of the common good is inherently controversial. It's not just a matter of will we differ about what the good is? Right, that's arguing about justice. Right.
Speaker 3: What about instead, instead of using a football team as an example, let's use a w NBA team as an example. And I'm being very serious about that and purposeful because of course, winning obviously is not the only common good as defined by at least by the owners, by the organization itself, winning, the winning, making money off of winning, being you know, all of those things that we probably would attribute to a football team, whether a high school, college or professional. The WNBA kind of messes up the whole thing and just goes to show you how easy it is to take what should be an obvious common good. Maybe I'm sounding like a good liberal here and turn it into something that you know, the people with enough power have have substituted something entirely different. And there's the heart of their argument. I think a faulty argument, by the way, But the heart of their argument is who's to say what the common good is? Right? That's what it always comes down to.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the nihilist and relevus part that Phil points out. That's the way I thought. I wasn't sure where you were going there. I thought maybe you were trying to sneak in a way to get me to admit that Sophie Cunningham has replaced Sidney Sweeney as the object of our affections on the shoe okay with.
Speaker 3: Both of them. I'm okay with both of them. Sidney Sweeney is a little more solid across the board, but Sophie Sophie's standing up as well. So good for them. And they're both beautiful, so you know me, I have a thing for beautiful blondes that are.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you knew this was going to happen, Phil, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I actually you know I had. What I had on my mind was Clay Travish offering a ten million dollar bet with a high school team versus the anyway, Sorry, I am not trying to tribute for anything like that. Phil, I'm just coming at you with what every argument would be by some dumb girl who actually took the time to read your article.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what we're that's what we're We're gonna get some question of what is the remedy for various problems?
Speaker 4: Let me let me get let me get two points in real quick. Okay, So that Steve's question was original question is you know what is the common good? And I and I use the football team as an example, and and here and then Linda, Linda points us to another dimension. So my first point is on Steve, my second point on Lucretia.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: The first point is the football team clearly has a common good, Like there's a purpose. There's a purpose of the team. It's to win games. Now there might be other purposes, and you know, and if you really think about it, actually the real purpose of the football team is to develop the character of these men. And but but but look just in the simple sense that the team has an end, a t los a purpose and that's the's say, to win. Okay, what Lucretia and then introduces is with the w n B A is well, hey, but we're using it for other things to have a gender equality or whatever it might be. And that's to say, that's to admit there is a purpose. It's just saying it's not to win the games. It might be to make money or to social transformation or whatever. And so there's disputes about what the common good is. But my point with this point st brought up was why this nihilism? How's nihilism if there's no common good? Because the modern liberal position or the liberal position is there's only private goods, because there's only private wills, So there really is no purpose to anything, and therefore there can be no common good because common good and purpose or tilS are connected.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wanted to have a quick ad break here and then I want to come back and ask the second half of that question. So don't go, everybody, We'll be right back. All right. We're still working on this question of the common good, and I've got another question that's on the constitutional level. But first, Lucretian wants to play on a couple more aspects of this, and I have one more aspect of the current focus as well. So Lucretia go.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to go just a little bit deeper to something you said about that in your article. You said that liberals believe that creation has no purpose. And I don't disagree with that, but my tendency is to look at it just a little bit differently, and that is that the modern liberal, the modern leftist, whatever you want to call it, progressive, does not believe that, first in the first place, we are created. They actually and the role of the theory of evolution, the philosophical idea of evolution, is so critical here in the sense that one of the things, let me throw this at you, one of the things that evolution did was it made it possible to deny not only that there was a creation, but that that creation would have a purpose. Because if you can attribute all of life, all of the complexity and beauty of life, to the primordial muck uh, and then the rest of it's just a you know, a series of accidents, right, And so I think that that in and of itself creates its own set of nihilistic facing, the abyss and the absolute need to create your own universe, be your own gods, and then force that force that on others in order to have the comfort of knowing that it's something beyond that abyss that you can't face. Does that make sense? Again, I'm not disagreeing with the way you put it, but there's implications to the idea that modern liberals just don't believe in any kind of creation because that would in and of itself assume a creator, and that they deny.
Speaker 4: I agree, And you're getting you're digging much deeper into how did this form of liberalism arise? And I think you're pointing us way beneath the surface, and I think Darwin is exactly right, and it's the really the idea that it's all chance, it's all purposeless, there is no purpose, there are no ends, and.
Speaker 3: Which is again why the old Throsymachus way of ordering the universe just is the advantage of the stronger survival is the advantage of the stronger right, and so therefore it's very necessary, not just you almost lose that what the founding father saw is is a way to work out our differences in a way that would contribute to the common good. Not just because you don't believe in it, but because you can't. You have to be the stronger. That's how you survive.
Speaker 2: Well, my angle on this is maybe a little simpler. You know, I was startled when I started thirty years ago, pointing to all the data I assembled about how environmental conditions are getting better in America and all prosperous countries. Environmentalists would erupt into a rage. They hated that things could be getting better. Why because fundamental to a lot of environmentalists is the environmental apocalypse, the end of the world's coming. It's their secular eschatology. Now, similarly, you know these fights we've had the last several years of Obamacare requiring that little sisters of the poor include abortion services and their health care plans and so forth. Why the compulsion to mandate that? And I know they'll give you a wonky reason that's unpersuasive, But I actually think the deeper reason Lucretia hints at, which is the way I put it, is this way though, ways, I think they are offended, outraged, unnerved by people who actually believe in something that there's a basis in reality. It could be a transcendent basis if you're a devout religious person, and they have to be hostile to it, and that manif itself there for me, that's just you know, my rant on this.
Speaker 3: I agree and I want filter respond, But but that explains, for instance, the DOJ going after parents, at going after fundamental Catholics or Conservative Catholics whatever they call them, all of us after you know, preachers praying outside of abortion clinics. It explains all of it, Steve, it's actually a really good point.
Speaker 2: Now now the question.
Speaker 3: But I was going to let fil Oh.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, I don't know if you want to tell me.
Speaker 4: So I agree. I mean, it's much like being on the podcast. As much like my experience of listening to the podcast. You guys say things that are perfectly reasonable, and then I wait for John to say something that irritates me.
Speaker 2: He's hard replacing that role. You know. It takes a certain amount of masochism in his way, and.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to play it a little bit, but I'm not very successful at when I agree with everything.
Speaker 2: But right, So, the further point about the common good you you prompted me filled with your observation that the preamble or he says to you, the government shall provide for the common defense, right also says promote the general welfare, not provide the general welfare. Well, now you then think about a couple of debates in the early Republic. And this is one thing we've lost just as a historical matter. I don't have to get too fear in philosophy on this. I think you may know that you know, New York wants to build the Erie Canal to connect the Hudson with Lake Erie. They asked the federal government, would you pay for this? And the Congress says, no, you pay for that yourselves. That's not the general welfare, that's just the benefit New York and New York commerce. And they did build it with private bonds from the State of New York. Okay. Oh, and then Article one says, all those powers of Congress that could you know, army and navy and so forth and build post roads oddly specific, but why well, it's a it helps facilitate a necessary federal function of delivering the mail. So you probably know the debates. It culminates in the famous Webster Hainey debate, and that argument was, well, how about we build just general road Joe for transportation, not just for the males. And you know it's going to connect a couple of states and open the Cumberland Gap, I think, and so forth, And you know the argument of the strict constructionists of the time was that's not in the general interests, that's not the general welfare, that's for just these particular states. And I think it was. It's been a long time since I've read this, but I think Webster's argument was you can construe it that way. But in fact, this kind of what was the Henry Clays what the phrase for Henry Clay's the American system he called it, or something This will knit the country together, even if it doesn't connect all twenty states, however many you had. It will help create and nurture a national identity and you know, more connection between the peoples of America, which I think is not a frivolous argument. There is a slippery slope to the welfare state, as we well know today, and now you know every spending bill has got money for the Daniel in a Way aquarium and Hana Lulu, and which is there's no way, there's no way that can be in the general interest. But so that clause has disappeared. But I think there used to be some constitutional rectitude about these matters that we've lost for all kinds of reasons. I don't know if you want to weigh in on that or not. But I was like to point.
Speaker 4: That that's a small story. I mean, there's a low co op, and that this is a few years ago that they were touting how they got one hundred thousand dollars for the federal government and they could expand the co op and add some more refrigerators and and you know, they're really proud of this. And and I asked, you know, one of the managers, you know, why should people in New Mexico be paying for us to have expanded refrigerators? Yeah, like we should feel guilty about I said, very So it's a very liberal place, so they you should feel guilty about this, not proud of them. Yeah, even like I who goes bizarre like are you against organic food and healthy food?
Speaker 2: And not?
Speaker 4: No, but why should other people have to pay for it subsidized?
Speaker 3: Remember that Eisenhower had to appeal to national emergencies to build the interstate highway system.
Speaker 2: Yeahs Defense Act? Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And asked and as was the the I forget what was called the Education Act that was passed after Sputnik also National Defense? Right? And yeah, James Q. Wilson, by the way, I was reading all your great quotes from James Wilson from the Founding and of course you know James Q. Wilson late in life he was obsessed, obsessed, essentially concerned with questions of character and moral virtue. So you now prompted me to think about writing an article on from James Wilson to James Q. Wilson on full circlect.
Speaker 3: That'd be cool. One of the things, Phil, I was just going to mention quickly, one of the things that that sort of popped up in my head was when I was reading your article this morning for the second time, was the we're so far from being able to consider something like a public virtue. I keep seeing these articles about how uh young wealthy.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I guess gen x or is something one of those younger people people are all people are younger than me these days, who consider it appropriate, who consider it appropriate to go into whole foods and steal the choplift. I mean, never mind the the you know that the poor people and blah blah blah blah blah, but the wealthy people, young people are doing.
Speaker 2: This, that we are so far micro looting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's the term of micro looting. I couldn't remember, but I kept thinking that kept coming to my mind, like, how did we get so damn far away? Well?
Speaker 2: Can I can I pull it back to the general topic and encompass that question this way? By the way, for listeners that that brief reference. There's a great article in the Daily Wire out yesterday, I think, or maybe the fourth link to it, right, yeah, link to it. But it's called Liberty. Wait a minute, I got it here. It's called The Neutrality Myth Liberty Order and the Common Good. Authors Andrew Walker, who I maybe have heard of him, but I don't know him anyway, but a very good article. And again it's part of the buzz around your article, Phil, which prompts me to want to read another sentence from the next paragraph in it that gets us to, well, the recovery mode, I guess I'll put it that way. So here's the quote. It's shorter than the other one I read. Postliberalism's intellectual mistake has been to presume that modern liberalism's conception of the person is the inevitable, evolutionary outcome of the American political and constitutional tradition. Then your next sentence, this is simply not true. So expand from there, because I think you're absolutely right, and this is the nub of the problem. Is this a lot of I'll do it this way. A lot of young conservatives are saying, gosh, you know, all wokery and all the places that we've landed to now and people thinking it's okay to shoplift. They're saying that the American founding was defective because it was liberal or or it's proved an insufficient barrier to this kind of moral corruption of the regime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me.
Speaker 2: Put it.
Speaker 4: In language. Maybe that will be memorable to the demographic that I presume this show gaters too. Remember when Mary Ann Glendon wrote a book many years ago called Rights Talk, it was kind of a lot of conservatives were like, too many rights and why were we saying that in the nineties and everything, And because you know, free speech or the First Amendment meant new dancing right, so long.
Speaker 2: As they're paid the minimum wage, as Irving Cristel famously stated, right now, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, too much emphasis on rights, not enough emphasis on duties. And I agree with all that, of course, but there was actually a fundamental misunderstanding of rights in that earlier discourse and that rights were unbounded, that rights were merely assertion. And what I'm trying to do in this article, and I think we need to do more generally, is understand that rights are part of a moral fabric. The way I like to put it is natural rights. The exercise of natural rights are bounded by the natural law, and that's how the Founders talked about it. And the natural rights are part of the natural moral law. But the exercise of natural rights is limited by the natural moral law. So you have a right to free speech, but you don't have a right to lie about people not lible. Yeah, there are. So we think rights are trumps. That's a popular phrase, but that's actually a misunderstanding of rights. Rights aren't trumps. You have you have the you only have the right to do things that are reasonable. And what is reason but the the moral law of nature. So the rights are by their nature are bounded. But that requires a thick moral anthropology, an understanding of a natural moral law. Like our whole language of rights and liberty gets distorted when we lose that thicker moral they work in which in which was initially authored. That only makes sense when we try to understand it.
Speaker 3: So if you look at it from an ancient versus a modern point of view. For the ancients, it's not unfair to say that laws were prescriptive. You were free to do what the law allowed. And it is you know, common to say that we have a proscriptive or do I have it backwards? I always get this backwards. Whatever it is, we are, Yeah, we are free to do whatever is not forbidden by the law. Right we are not by the law in most cases. I know there are exceptions guided about how we should behave and about how we should conduct ourselves and so on, but one of that the reason for that, and I think the founders tried really hard to make it clear that this was, as you put it several times well in your article, liberty not license, when it became necessary to separate politics from theology to resolve the political theological question the way in which our founding fathers did, where your allegiance to your god could be in fact separate from your allegiance to your country. Because universal don't have time to go on all that, but most of our listeners are well acquainted with that argument. But if you don't have a god or gods that have created the legal order, and that thereby you can trust that you know, if I follow the law, I'm doing the just thing. You do have a kind of tension between obeying the law and perhaps what is right, what is a matter of your reasonable conscience, and so on, and so that creates, I think has created throughout the entire history of the American Republic, a kind of tension about exactly what your article is trying to resolve, and that is, how do we define the common good? How do we define how human beings exercise their natural rights in a republican form of government committed to protecting those rights, established to protect those rights in such a way that we don't let that liberty turn into license. And we do that again by appealing to a fundamental understanding of human nature defined for us by natural law and so on. But do you see the problem? Go ahead, I'm sorry, Steve.
Speaker 4: You have to have a creator moral framework. This is directly links with what you were saying earlier, right, I mean you could say, first, we have simply the laws given by God, and our duty is to follow the law. And then we have no God creates us, but he creates us free. But our duty is to freely follow his law in the natural moral law, and then we just have freedom without the natural moral law, and that's the degradation from liberty to license.
Speaker 2: Well, we need to go to a quick ad break because each of these segments is running along, but we'll continue the subject when we come back on the other side, So don't go away. Well, you know, Lucretia, I summarize what you just said a rather simplistic as usual way, which is, it's a long way from John Stuart Mill saying liberty is do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt somebody else, to what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, which is where we are today. Right.
Speaker 3: That's but neither of which are what tenants I would live by.
Speaker 2: Of course they're completely unsound, but that you know, and we've touched on a little bit.
Speaker 3: But you're right, it's gotten much worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So anyway, you that paragraph I was just quoting, Philly, you go on and explain that what we call liberalism today and what the postliberals are trying to the common good conservatives are trying to overcome, departs from the founder's views. And then you conclude that paragraph with this sentence, which poses our question for this segment, rather than jettisoning to it again, rather than jettisoning American principles, we need to recover their genius. Now, the article goes on and really captures and expresses that genius pretty well. I was thinking practical terms, how do we go about that? What is? And I hate to reduce this to marketing and communications. That's you know, stupid at a certain level. But how do we go about that? I'm you know, we've been beating with this for a long time as academics and writers and so forth. But boy, it's hard to be optimistic sometimes.
Speaker 4: And I don't know. Look, I'm a writer in an academic so I don't know that credential prudential wisdom. I mean, two things come to mind. The first thing is there is some intellectual archaeology to do to say, hey, liberty properly understood is not license. Just making that distinction, you know, when I'm when I'm teaching these things in class, I mean, students immediately get it. They understand the distinct opinion license, but you got to give them that moral vocabulary. They immediately understand, Oh no, my write to free speech doesn't mean I can say anything. I can't lie about this my classmate and classmate and make false thing. They immediately know that, and so part of it is just reintroducing these common sense moral concepts and making sure when we say liberty, we know what that means. We also know that it doesn't mean maybe the other thing this is simply not to despair too much. A friend of mine likes to say nature always bats.
Speaker 2: Last yep, yep, yep. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And look, we see modern liberalism, this idea of simple willful choice. We can do anything, there's no moral right, there's no moral wrong, there's no creator. We all know people who believe that. And we see that philosophy being adopted by the young, and we see the unhappiness that it brings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think, look, it's the changing of the changing of America. American society is going to be built through happy families and people wanting what is good, that natural human goods and people living ordered lives, and they'll be attracted to it. And so really, through the virtues of French and living well, living as well, we can one at a time, one person at a time. That's really going to be It's not the only thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what about no, let me before before we go on, Steve question about that again? You know there there's sometimes I have to turn off the news, I have to turn off stop reading things. I have to stop going on to any social media because I'm so overwhelmed and depressed about you know, that idiot in Michigan winning and AOC being talked about as a possible presidential candidate in twenty twenty eight and you know me Mandami destroying New York and Okay, so the Muslim guy won barely. He was supposed to win by twenty points, but he still won. People voted for him. I mean, come on, a lot of people. Seven hundred and fifty thousand people voted for that despicable excuse of a human being because he promises them things like medicare for all and defund the police and O they're stupid. Oh I'm a capitalist, but I just think, you know, just on. So what scares me is that there aren't enough good families and good people out there. Maybe I'm being a little too despairing here, but all of this is good and I'm I'm glad to see it. Happening. I'm also glad to see people like Trump. I'm gonna praise Trump for a minute saying, look, communism, would you get it? What's wrong with you people? And I think there's gonna have to be some fighting at that level for a while before we can go back to showing Hey, traad wives don't really mean that I'm gonna wear you know what do you call it, Margaret something or there? It means that I care about my family and you know, whatever it might be. I think that at the political level, at the societal level, there's some big battles that have to happen before we can get back on a road.
Speaker 4: To virtue public virtue. I agree, I mean, you know, I mean, Trump is is an interesting vehicle, right, you know, at least in his first term. Second term has been different. In his first term he was the most pro life president in our history, and we talked about the babies, talk about the baby. No second term hasn't been nearly as good. But no one would have ever thought, you know, Trump won would be you know, and look, the appointed justices of disagreements with some of our conservative justices, but they did overturn were oversus way another thing. Look, Trump, Trump is really the first color blind president. I mean, who has who has led the country to adopt a colorblind principle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know, our.
Speaker 4: Fathers didn't even do They articulated it, but they couldn't do it. It's a remarkable achievement. You are right, Sorry, there's gonna be doing because of it.
Speaker 2: Well, our late you remember, our late friend Michael Yulman, who was very anti Trump, but he did say, and I remember he died in twenty nineteen, so he didn't live long enough, but he did say, if Trump actually changes judiciary and overturns roversus weight, I will lead the parade for his re election. And you know miss Mike a lot of times. Right, that was a great moment for him. But since you brought up the courts into Duciary, let me ask about that. I was going to bring up, you know, neutrality. I was going to queue up Lucretia to say, our state's not neutral. One of my one of the phrases I hate the most in our constitutional discourse is compelling state interests, which means whatever the elites want. Right, all right, leave that aside for another day. You have this very interesting passage toward the end. I'm just going to quote it here again for listeners. The Constitution was not design for judges to balance rights against competing state interests, or for judges to find in history and tradition how earlier generations of Americans protected rights. That's such a plausure. That's kind of a shot at you know, the way. Well really more leto I think than Thomas, certainly in the Dobbs decision. I think that's true in some other ones.
Speaker 3: Amendment, Go ahead, let.
Speaker 2: Me continue whatever might be said about these interpretive approaches. Both progressive and conservative philosophies of constitutional interpretation empowered judges to determine the contours of the people's rights, which is a departure from the founder's constitutionalism. I think that's absolutely right, completely sound, and so as much as we may celebrate recent decisions, the restoration of originalism, I think rightly understood, is woefully incomplete. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got in trouble a few weeks ago at Nerdane's Religious Liberty Summit, full of look errors as you might imagine, and in great work, you know, fighting for religious people of all faith and you know, especially like the little sisters of the poor and these nuns who get picked on. And you know, my message to them was winning lawsuits. Filing lawsuits and winning is not the way to actually win. Yeah, you know, the real way to win is political, and that these laws which you're filing for exemptions from and trying not to get applied to your client. Actually what we really need to do is not have these laws in the first place. Yeah, and real self government is the people governing themselves exactly.
Speaker 3: Madison says, a dependence on the people is, no doubt the primary control on government. And my argument, I was thinking about this a lot lately with the Fauci nonsense. If somehow, you know, all of these different schemes maybe for actually holding Fauci accountable, somebody pushes one through and it goes to the courts and it ends up at the Supreme Court. It reminded me how incredibly what I don't even have the right adjective for it, so I won't try. Roberts was about the early early COVID when he had the opportunity to issue an injunction. I think it was against California, but there were several that would have stopped the nonsense being promulgated by either the executive branches or just public health officials, and he wouldn't do it, saying we are going to defer to the public health officials and the experts. This isn't, you know, for an injunction. Ultimately, I guess they came out okay. But the point was that the American people never should have tolerated that nonsense in the first place. And it certainly wasn't for Chief Justice Roberts to decide if I want to hold a religious service in my home. It's none of his damn business. It's not his, it's mine. And but the people have actually turned over to the courts the final decision making on what rights are, which they never should have done.
Speaker 4: Too often, I think we those who are in the political arena think if we can just get the courts and just win at the courts. I'm not there's no role for judges, and there's no role for courts, of course there is. But but think of I mean, what did COVID, What should have COVID taught us? Federalism is really important. Yeah, Governor Desanta's in Florida. He was great during COVID, and mine was pretty good. People moved there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, All Rightiana.
Speaker 4: Wasn't so bad. I was going between Indiana where I live in Seattle, where my parents lived at the time, I go into a different country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, Seattle is a different country these days. Okay, never mind that. Let me do last last big theme here, and I want to draw to a close for to day, and I want to quote from a different article in First Things on this subject from last month's issue. It's by this guy named James Wood, who I don't know, but he was reviewing two books about post liberalism, and he has this passage that I want to read and see if you think it is, what you make of it, if you think it's right, or and so forth. So here it goes. As Pierre Manon has argued, Christianity presents a distinctive political problem because the Church is a quote real universal community unquote, which claims all persons and therefore or thereby relativizes every political order. It's familiar stuff to us, right. Early modern political theory can be read, in part as a sustained effort to neutralize this rival. Thomas Hobbes resolves in scare Quotes this tension to the su through subordination by placing the church under the authority of the sovereign. John lost strategy is more subtle and more enduring. By redefining the church as a voluntary association concerned with inward belief and otherworldly ends, he preserves its formal freedom while stripping it of public significance. You think that judgment is you think that's right? I mean, is that the best way of putting it? Phil, Lucretia's shaking your hand, but you go first, Phil.
Speaker 4: Look, you could talk about the same phenomena in this way, and let me just use Locke, who's more accurate in this or more Germaine in this context. The most remarkable thing about Locke is actually Locke says the state must be concerned only with protecting our lives, our property. At one point he says our furniture. That the letter of toleration concerning toleration instans. But it's the state contracts, its jurisdiction and its sovereignty. And why well, another way of looking at it is to respect the proper authority and domain of the church. The state's not responsible for saving your soul? Why not? Well, that's the job of the church, So I would I don't know mister Wood either, but I would say, actually, there's a different way to look at what liberalism, this classical liberalism that Locke was doing. He's trying to say, you know, the state is only going to be concerned with common goods pertaining to this life, common political goods like the general welfare and national defense, the salvation of souls, which is obviously important. More important that is the proper domain of churches. And that's the resolution of the theological political problem that Linda was that Lucretia was referring to.
Speaker 3: Early everybody knows, and so, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I actually think these these architects, especially the founders, these architects of republican natural rights republicanism, to use the language of the Founders, they were saying, no, you, church authorities don't have political authority. But they were also saying, importantly, but we that have political authority, our authority is limited, and we're limiting our authority out of respect for the divine authority of churches. And the post liberals have forgotten that point. Limiting the authority of the state is done in part to recognize the more fundamental authority of the church.
Speaker 3: I would go one step further, about our founding fathers and say, I'm thinking of Jefferson specifically here that when you try to enforce some kind of religious belief, you make one half, he says, one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites. You said, it's very well yourself in the article which Steve will link to. Part of the reason that you have freedom is your freedom of conscience, which, again Jefferson tells us as a natural right. It cannot be taken away. You can force somebody to pretend they believe in God or believe in a certain way but in action, but you can never change the real conscious about it. And so the it's simultaneously a freedom not to be coerced into believing or practicing something you don't believe, and at the same time creating the freedom whereby you can truly worship God in your own way, which again is a natural right. And did that mean that that was going to allow for atheists or Muslims or probably? Probably? And that's always attention. Also, where does freedom of religion stop and end all of the Steve wants me to be brief, I'm trying, But the point is I am trying, Steve, the point is is that the Founders came up with probably what was the best possible solution to that millennial old problem that you know, either the authority of the Church and the authority of this tied or if they're separated, which one's going to come out on top. And I think that their answer to that was pretty pretty sound. We've gone away from that.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to let that be. We'll have to let that be the last word on this topic for today. But don't go everybody. We'll come back with a listener question and this week's cameo appearance from Henry Kissinger don't go away. So I decided, with all kinds of things going on in the world that despite the fact Marco Rubio is a great Secretary of State, we really needed to talk to the master of the subject from the last century. And so I got out my Ouiji board and I have contacted from beyond the mortal realm doctor Henry Kissinger. Doctor Kissinger, thank you for turning up on the three Whiskey podcasts.
Speaker 5: Well, frankly, I was already well rested, did.
Speaker 2: Right well.
Speaker 5: The thing is, with two major wars going on, I felt it was just too important a time to remain dead.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll come back to those two major wars. Let's start with the one that's most on the mind of Americans, and that's what's going on over in the run. I don't know. I can't figure out what's going on, and it increasingly it seems like Schrodinger's war. If you know that, you know Schrodinger's alive or dead. Cat. What do you make of this whole thing?
Speaker 5: Well, I think that the basic problem is that there are no really good choices that are left. And the problem is that you can cut off the straits of Hose with just a few rockets. And they tell me about these things called roans. What the hell is a drone? Anyway, you can knock out a huge ship with just such a device, And and this is a problem. As the major power in the world, we have always guaranteed re navigation, just as the British did before us. But we're but this is a problem. On the other hand, if you go and you try to wipe them out, then there's the problem of regime change. And and it's a big country. It's it's i'm told bigger than Texas, which I've been told is actually a state in our own union.
Speaker 2: Now, I remember one of your memorable statements back in the eighties when there was a war between Iraq and Iran, and you said, it's too bad they both can't lose. Is the solution this maybe to get Iraq to go back to war with Iran and with that solve our problem.
Speaker 5: No, I think I think that that now is being used by the Democrats. Did They would like both the Trump administration and the Iranians to lose, but if they had to choose, they choose the Trump.
Speaker 2: Right now, you mentioned two wars. I assume the other one you mean is Ukraine and Russia. And I don't know what's going on there except is my perception right that the Ukrainians have kind of turned the tables on the Russians by showing they can attack them more effectively, not only in theater, but deep inside Russian territory too. So what's your latest reading on this now what almost five years of fighting?
Speaker 5: Well, you have to be impressed with the Ukrainians, and frankly, I think that the Ukrainians are not only winning, but they've been the thing that's been missing and a lot of the discussion is that now crime is virtually cut off by the Russians. I think that the crimea which is the real golden portion here for the Russians. I think that they're going to to lose it. But the Russians are going to lose it. And the secondary effect of this whole war is that it is made clear that Russia is no longer a great power. The great power is China, and Russia is a subordinate power to China. Put PUDNT really can't get out of this war. He can't get out of this war and remain, as we like to say, above the grass.
Speaker 2: All Right, last question, Uh, you know, I refer to the wars on again. It's off again with Trump. If you or if I persuaded Trump to get out his Wuigi board, contact you for some advice. What piece of advice would you give President Trump right now on this whole business.
Speaker 5: Well, I hate to say. The first advice would be don't fight again in Vietnam. That would be my number one piece of advice. I think that I think that he probably needs to recognize that if he lets this for with Iran Dragon, they're in a position to create absolute hell for him. In October, before the election, so he has to do something that resolves it before then, and he can't simply back out, and that would leave the iraniance Witch control of the straits of hormones. So no, it's I'm afraid they say the first rule of digging holes is to stop digging, but the other rule is to to finish, to go ahead and finish the job. And I think that that's the big that's the big story here. The reporters are that they're trying to get a deal on the straits of hort moves, but frankly, I think it's going to be very difficult to get any deal on the nuclear material. They've just devoted the entire regime to building to building a nuclear so that's I hate. I have an appointment with my embalmer very soon, so i'll be I'll be leaving now, but I hope I've answered most of your questions.
Speaker 2: Well, someone likes to say, doctor Kissinger will just have to see what happens, and when it does happen, we will get out our UIGI board again and call you back.
Speaker 5: But that's debate, it is.
Speaker 2: Right. This week's listener question comes from Michael Lee, who's been a frequent commenter and listener and reader of all of our stuff. And he, by the way, describes himself as he says, he guesses a common sense progressive that's small P, not capital P. I'm not sure any means like progressive we think of Woodrow wilsoner today's progressives.
Speaker 3: I think he meant it as against what we said talked about last weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, he's start your progress and the common sense understanding. I think that's what he means. But he does raise well, he does include I'm summarizing a fairly long note he sent me, but that has some economic arguments about changes and the distribution of income that I think are significant. But I think also it's not the whole story about that. But never mind that. But what he's really interested in mostly is we're seeing populism of the right trumpets not cons post liberals, and a certain extent and populism of the left. Maybe this is a different way of thinking of what was called these days the horseshoe theory right, you know, the left and the right, or the far left and the far right, or at the same place. Certainly that's true of the Israel question these days. But he's thinking about, right, he just brings up globalization, de industrialization, the financialization. This part I think is right, that the gains and wealth for the last thirty forty years have been overwhelmingly achieved by the upper income groups. Right. I don't necessarily think that's unjust or a problem. But to the extent that the large portions of the public thinking you're being left behind or that they're stagnating, whether their perception is correct or not, it does become a political and social problem. So he's wondering what we make of this? Why are we seeing this kind of Maybe he's asking for an explanation of pop I don't know, but he he wondered he wants to hear from us on this subject of has populism replaced?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, the party supposedly ideological. On the other hand, we have the populism of left and right competing with one another. Right now, Phil, have you thought much about these problems? I can't make f I have.
Speaker 4: I'm curious to hear that Lucretia was gonna come. Oh.
Speaker 3: I wasn't trying to anyway. I'm gonna keep it to a kind of narrow subset of that. Uh, you know, I think it was that LSA ED guy who said he's not a he's not against capitalism, against corporatism. Now, that, of course, to a socialist means any any concentration of wealth inside of some kind of business organization, kind of whatever. All of the things that the unions fought against and socialism fought against in the past. That's not what we have anymore. What we have, of course, are these large operations that are able, if not to have a monopoly, and I don't think they need a monopoly, but they are able, in fact, to continue to attain wealth. I'll keep it simple. Why because of government regulation, Because the mom and pop store can't you know, the mom and pop restaurant really quickly, Steve. I read an article this morning saying it wasn't Cisco's problem, Cysco, not the computer Cisco, that all restaurant food tastes the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The problem, of course, are all the regulations that make labor so expensive that restaurants have to buy chicken nuggets and already breaded this and you know, because labor is just too expensive. Now, that's a silly example of what I'm talking about, that all of these progressive ideas for advancing the interests of the of workers have in fact undermining everything. And that's why wealth is concentrating at the top, not because of you know, some sort of wealth and greeds and whatever. It's because of government interference in the economy in ways that benefit those who can who can overcome with their lawyers and their tax accounts and so forth all of the government regulations and come out on top. Well that's a simple answer, but yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think there's a lot to that. I mean, look, you know, I used to marinate in regulatory issues and analysis, but I think that there's a political angle to this that's a better one. Michael Lee doesn't really bring up here. And one of them is, well, the globalization stuff that's cost us jobs. Well, I think, yeah, okay, there's there's a large element of truth to that. I think a bigger thing, though, is if so many of our big corporations now make more money from their global sales, right they operate all around the world, and Apple, you know, they make a lot of their money from selling their iPhones in China and everywhere else around the world. And so what does that mean? So great? Great for us? It's going to money flowing into American companies and for American shareholders and American pension plans. On the other hand, I think, and I can actually I'm not prepared to today, but I've over the years tracked all this. I think it was the CEO of PEPSI ten years ago or so it was talked very much about. It really revealed that they do not have an attachment to the American regime. They're not patriotic. They're they're not anti American, but they're not patriotic Americans the way US steel just think of the name, right, Bethlehem Steel, Ford Motor, right, General Motors. They operate all over the world, and so you know, I think their economic interest is not always aligned with the American national interest, and I think that is a serious political problem. And absolutely you know the way Wall Street look, I mean, and Wall Street has gone pretty far to the left. They surrendered immediately to WO create all the rest of that Silicon Valley has learned a rough lesson all this. I'm half tempted to vote with a stupid billionaires tax here in California, just to punish these people for two decades of stupidity supporting the people now want to do. Yeah, right, so anyway, but I think it is I'll just stop here and say that the phenomenon we called populism now goes back a long time and it is so protein and always hasn't and always will be that we're never going to get our hands around it, and so, as someone likes to say, we'll just have to see what happens. Phil, do you want to weigh in any of.
Speaker 4: That or Oh no, I mean I think there is both on the left and the right, And this is really just a dovetail with what Lucretia said, and it's consistent with what you just said, Steve. There is a perception that the wealthy, the connected, the elite, those in universities game the system for their own advantage. And it could be bankers, it could be academics, it could be big corporations or whatever, and that you're seeing both the populist on the right and the populist on the left are saying that's not fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's actually some pretty good empirical work from these two political scientists I think are liberals. It's Page and Gillen's I think it's I forget their first names, but they've done your basic modeling and statistical analysis that is not always bunk. And what it shows is that the wealthy overwhelmingly get their preferences satisfied at in Congress, from the regulators and from congressional legislation and tax code. We know all that. And of course I always say, if you want to get rid of corruption high places, let's get rid of high places.
Speaker 4: Point right. I mean, the big government is going to advantage those who are connected, right right, and far more than the lobbyists. Yeah, the middleman all and let's be honest, the three of us traffic in the world of that. And and I'm at the University of nore name, I mean place is funded by the hackspayer dollars even though we're a university. So I think people are like, why should we be paying for you guys to take advantage of us? And that's the commonality, is right.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's do one last very quick break, and then we're going to come back and close out the show very briefly with our friends from the Babylon b to relieve our misery. So we'll be right back and now to relieve art misery, Lucretia will share with us the best of the Babylon b this week.
Speaker 3: So for for Phil in honor of Phil annoying Man's faith in God's plan is getting in the way of his political doomerism. Middle East expanded to include Michigan. Right if you were following any of the unfortunate in and out In Idaho, Business Democrats rest concern over increase in gun violence against active shooters.
Speaker 2: O man, Yeah, sorry.
Speaker 3: Government runs stores. This is for John, who's not here in case he makes it on as a cameo appearance. Government runs stores to allow anyone to buy groceries as long as they have special sixty sixty six mark on hand or forehead.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna enjoy watching that debacle unfold. It's gonna take months, but it's just going to be complete detastarby anyway.
Speaker 3: Main Democrats explain they can either do no rape or no incest, but not both.
Speaker 2: This is you can't make this up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, it's crazy real quick. On Spain, Spaniards horrified to see their country turning into Minnesota. Spain turns to experience borders. Are Kamala Harris for help with migrant invasion and since I've brought it up, I'll end with and W NBA coaches stumped as to what the W stands for.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I saw that one too. Oh my goodness. All right, let's get out today. Just two sort of lightning round questions for you, Phil. We because we're taping midday, we don't have our whiskeys out in front of us. But what are you drinking these days? What do you plan to drink tonight? Have you thought about it yet?
Speaker 4: I will hopefully have a nice class of California cab.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, yeah, okay. Then the other question is what are you reading? Are you reading anything interesting right now? Lis'sally grabbing you a book or an article or something. What do you what's on your reading list right now? Note, if you're like me, I know you're still I always have too many things, and I you know, I get all you.
Speaker 4: Know I am. I'm really diving into the Civil War. I have been reading Civil War histories. I don't know the military battles that much. I'm actually reading the classic The Battle Cry of Freedom right.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm reading the Lincoln's his book on Lincoln as Commander in Chief, McPherson, Right, McPherson's book, That's what I'm reading right now, Phil. It's really good too. So when you finish Battle Cry of Freedom, which is my absolute favorite book on the Civil War generally speaking, this one's really good. On Lincoln's Lincoln's His Very Short Course, a self imposed course on becoming Commander in Chief.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, all right, we're going to call it a rap for this week. Listeners, so remember always drink your whiskey neat, especially when you're listening to the three Whiskey Happy Hour, which is sponsored by the Civitas Institute at the University of Texas Austin, produced and hosted by Ricochet dot Com. And I want to add here at the end that the voiceover you heard at the beginning is from Colin McLean of Norwich, England, and you can read more about his voice work at the link I've supplied in the show notes and also the YouTube channel where he has I put. He goes to a lot of poetry. It's called the Healing Voice, and he's a lot of fun to listen to, and he's just a lot of fun to be around. And at some point I'll probably have a chat with him to include as one of our cameos at least that in any case, be sure to come back next week for another edition of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour. Bye bye everybody, Ricochet, Yes, Join the conversation.