Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most Prized possessionets.
Speaker 2: Hey, good actor, younon everybody. Welcome to you Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, Yo, mister Quinn. I am Mike Quinn. Good to see you.
Speaker 3: Mike.
Speaker 2: It's good to be back. And I got fired last week. You did well. We had important stuff to talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's think it was an important show and so I didn't get invited. You did not make the important list exactly. But my guys Want and Ray are back for that. Were ever hear for the important day. But the hell was important. Oh it was a passion of Cedric Dempsey. Yeah, that's a big deal that continues to be Yes.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming they're going to have something here sometime this summer to pay tributes to him and what he did.
Speaker 3: You were student when he was here, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah powerful. So it wasn't enough to get me invited to the show, but it was.
Speaker 2: I gotta come with more game than that. Smart like that. A lot of stuff went on. So I haven't been on since Wednesday, had an assignment in Scott's Stale for four days. Uh So a lot of things have gone on when we were here last guys, because it broke the Burke that she was going to be the at the end end of the show, I think. And there's been a press conference since introductions, her family all that. You went to the press conference. I saw the press conference. One, what were your impressions of her? She looks ready, She's very excited about the opportunity. This is her biggest level that she's been at. And one I would say with high expectations given recent history. You know, four years or four or five years ago, Arizona was in the national championship game and that that and that's what she talked about her and Desiree refrancois one of the first questions she asked and the main questions she asked. Where do you see this program in two three years? Desiree said, playing for now championships or defending national championships at that point. So expectations are high for Burke. Sure. Let me ask you, mister Mike, so you you in your business of time or two I know you're teaching out you or an instructor. Uh, did you hire and fire people?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean a different So do you give them that? What do you hope to be in five years?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Because why it's just what's the purpose? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it's like, well one, it's many times it's a trick question because it's like when you don't know where the organ how the organization set up for this, It's like, where do you expect to be in five years?
Speaker 2: What are they going to answer? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What's the you know, it's like, wow, I expect to be fired and working for somebody else, you know, I'm hoping for a better Actually ask me the questions. Yeah, what are you where are you going to be in five years? I hope to have your job? Yeah, hope to have your jobs.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? He says, Well, by that time you'll be sitting by the beach and having sodas. You're gonna read on tiring and do that. Yeh yeah, you have your job. Well, what's the wrong there's no wronger? Right answer?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Of course you're going to say I want to win a title in two three years? Is that realistic? Realistic? Look up the word if you don't know what it is. Yeah, I don't believe. So. I think if they're if they're competitive and there, I think they're going to be committed.
Speaker 3: I like, I do turn what she's saying, and I think it's a Arizona is a good destination.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmm hmmm. I think it's going to be a good higher. She was impressive to me. Did you see the press company? No, she was impressive to me physically and what she said. Her backstory is fantastic, right. Uh, she didn't want to be given given anything. She's worked hard for it. Obviously she's been all over the place.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about her more. But is that what you came away with? Did you? Were you there after the press conference where they kind of lingered and talked more to her very little. I didn't get the chance, because that's when you get this true, that's when you get the other good stuff, the real Yea Becky Burke, right.
Speaker 6: I haven't got that chance yet. I hope to have her on the show here at some point. But impressive. Did say she seems authentic. How old is she?
Speaker 2: I have no idea forty thirty five? Also, she was younger than I thought, forty years oloter just I say older, because she's been all over the place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, I really think this is a good hire. I mean it's a young coach with a lot of experience, a lot of energy.
Speaker 2: Idea was a good recruiter. She was a no question, pretty bad retainer. No, no, no, to be fair, exactly, to be fair, that's exactly true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she was a great recruiter, poor retainer. I think that this we can recruit to the universe Arizona.
Speaker 2: So to both of you, especially to you one, because I know you're kind of out there in the internet world. So people who listen and watch watch the games for the women's team and the men's game. So she so ideas leaving or whatever is who are going to get? Right, Who are going to get? Who we're going to get? There's always someone else you're gonna get. Look at when Sean left, Sean left or got fired. Now what we're gonna get? Oh the world is gonna fall? Yeah, and everything turned out fine. Sure, So typically everything turns out fine, right, Arizona's a good destination. They had very good candidates apply for this job, so it wasn't like that they were short on people like wanting to wanting to work here. Yuh, so you're gonna get quality. Yeah, you noticed her salary. I did six sixty five around there, sixt sixty five, about seven hundred thousand less than then idea, which of course means the program of saving money, and that's about the right wheelhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean, that's a legitimate I mean, now come here, do something, you know, get a get a national championship in two or three years. Yeah, okay, then we're going to talk about renegotiating sure contract.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 2: Well, look at look at how Adia made hers timing and circumstances. Yeah. I don't know what she was making before she made one point one or one point two, but it was a time of crisis. I think COVID time, right, COVID times, with the chance that she might go to Baylor make a lot of money, and the darling of the program right at the time, and you don't want to lose her. So what do you have to do? You pay her? Yeah, in a desperate move to keep her, you pay her timing and circumstances right, right, Although the level of payment didn't equal the success afterward, right, I mean, well, you certainly pay for path performance, which doesn't guarantee future performance. Well, look at you. I like that. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: You've been studying something, but he's trying to prove his point for important days.
Speaker 3: Exactly some day I'll invite it to the big show. But you're exactly right. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well that's it. I mean you we thought that we caught lightning in a bottle when they went to the one to the final four, and it turns out that we had a good player. And then it turns out that we started letting good players go. Yeah, and you know, circumstances happened. She certainly didn't live up to the expectations that we had, which were very high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and here's here's the other issue. And I think a lot of ad I think she's a good, good coach, like a good recruiter, not a good retainer. I know we're not up on a personal level, but you know, we've talked before. I did a story for Bistus on our magazine story. But the way she went out the door was kind of troubling. You talked about the interview with Dallas right on the radio or whatever it was on the side and kind of criticizing some some coaches, you know, the mid mid level coaches. Well she kind of started that way, but not really, not even at that level. She was not a coach at all, or she was, she was a assistant coach. Yeah, but you know, I hate to beat the state horse because we'll talk a little bit more about it with lev because he knew more because he spoke to her, spoke to the principles. I'm sure they went off the record on a number of things. Uh, so we there's always more to the story.
Speaker 3: Well, she can't fortunate in getting this head coaching job, I mean with with Arizona, you know, and she did because she was a great player and she was yeah here, and so it's like, okay, she was a good assistant. Okay, hey, we're gonna take this chance on her being a good head coach. Did she skip over her mid major time?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did she consider herself fortunate for that? No, she thought she was just blessed, which is different. Okay, true, probably that's a good one. You're probably right.
Speaker 2: And then timing circumstances gave her the chance to have this great ride convince the people that go, which was amazing. Hey, if I'm what's her legacy?
Speaker 3: Do you know what her legacy would be the fact that she went took her team to the phone floor, But then I think she couldn't keep anybody good players here.
Speaker 6: She should be considered probably and possibly the best women's basketball coach in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I think her and her former coach will go one one A, one B.
Speaker 6: This is kind of similar to the way Jed Fish went out. Realistically, Jetfish has one of the greatest seasons and Arizona football history correct that that maybe that season is not going to be remembered as much because of the way the Fish left in the way it turned out last season.
Speaker 2: What was his legacy, I don't know, turning turning the program around. I think three years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe even two and a half if you if you want to count that first one with COVID and different era two to half.
Speaker 2: And then half of the half. I mean, he got tim in circumstances given that the quarterback, uh Delora kind of face flamed out with the injury, and then yeah, that's that's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, if he doesn't get injured, does he you know, do we have that great season or do we stick with Delora.
Speaker 2: So okay, we'll talk more about all that stuff later, especially the the the Idea Barnes thing. Basketball continues to do. Okay, right, they get or the recruits from last week. We saw that Monday or Tuesday or whatever it was, and then and then people are coming back. Uh, there must be finding some money to pay these guys with who I'm gonna take some of your stuff, but you can go back with it later. But the orso coming back with Bradley coming back walk out last week. I plus I said that he was coming back. So the some of the main pieces are coming back. Yeah, they just need they just need h Carter Bryant to come back. Yeah that that that would definitely be good. Uh good for us.
Speaker 3: I mean we got these we got these great recruits that are coming in, you know, top recruits, you know, one of the top recruiting classes.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really funny.
Speaker 3: These guys are like, oh, you know, coach Lloyd is so wonderful Coach Lloyd, and you're not coming here for Coach Lloyd. You're coming here for Ben Franklin. Okay, Uh yeah, so don't you know, don't tell me how greatly your.
Speaker 2: Coaches for scring Yes, I did exactly.
Speaker 3: We know why you're coming here. Yeah, they well I think they yd. I mean, Lloyd Is is a good recruiter and you know it is a pretty good coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, no, no, nobody just prove that this year. If you're gonna get paid, why not enjoy your life at the place you're gonna get paid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know absolutely, I mean they're you know, you're not going to play for some you know, bug tussle tack, right, even if they can come up with the cash. You know, uh, some of these guys you know, are actually interested in winning.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, we'll go to that. The Tennessee quarterback. We talked a little about it off there there. Well, we'll talk about that for the for your breaking news, because we both have opinions on that, sure and probably the likelihood of that continue to happen. Being held hostage. Okay, for our first hour, we're gonna have a gymnastics coach, John Court. They had a pretty good not a pretty good, very good yeah season this year in the postseason, so we'll talk to him about it. He's been headed this direction for a while now. Every year getting better and better. So he'll be at three seventeen to honor that team. And then at four to seventeen we're going to have mister Michael lev who's been in the middle of all this, the women's basketball, the men's basketball stuff, the baseball team that's riding right now. So two things.
Speaker 6: One, just to go back to Burke's introductory press conference.
Speaker 2: One thing I did like if.
Speaker 6: I was an Arizona fan and I am on the side, is her mindset of twenty four to seven, three sixty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Or she talked about how players if the jersey practice jersey and tuck, She'll tell him there's no days off. She's not going to slack off one day, but then be hard on it the next day. It's it's twenty four to seven, three sixty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And the other thing I want to be up is Arizona baseball. I believe Saturday for the game, right, crazy crazy stuff happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah? Pretty were you there? I was not. Okay, I saw the video I saw do we know what happened?
Speaker 6: Like to go ahead, Brian said that Brian Peterson, one of the my boss at Asy doesn't Swarm, said that one of them had a dislocated shoulder and the other one had back injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they felt pretty hard, obviously they did.
Speaker 6: In the video it looks like one of them both almost both of them broke their legs, but I guess not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't didn't come down very well. No, no, I wondered how long the delay was. It had to be some kind of I think it was half an hour to forty minutes. Oh really, yeah, yeah, I had heard it over the over the internet whatever, and then I saw the video and I said, wow, they're surprise. That doesn't happen more often.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they rarely jump in that kind of wind, you know, And yeah, it was windy, and and then and that's what happened. You know, Oh you see it in your past life. Oh sure, yeah. I mean they you know, they jump into every Army game. I mean it's like, you know, Army Navy game. They're jumping in. I know a lot of guys that that do that stuff. Yeah, uh for a living. And you know they checked the wind and if the wind's bad, they don't jump.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My guess is that they were like, you know, we can do this, we can make this, and yeah, and they didn't. And then and then what they did is they you saw them fall really hard.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 3: You're supposed to do it what they called pelf and you know you kind of roll on, you know, on your side. One guy rolled on his side and that's how he just located his shoulder. The other guy didn't roll on his side. He fell fell down like straight to his legs, and yeah, he hurt his back. You could definitely tell, you know, like I said, I saw the video. It's like, yeah, it's not a good thing.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break here and come back with Coach Court on the other side.
Speaker 7: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus box just after this nationwide keyword on our website money money.
Speaker 2: That's money.
Speaker 7: Enter it now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more, thank ever with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Enterprise of Fasco Yuki try.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for resident and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix syncredit rates and available loan programs or subjects to change with nut notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 2: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 11: Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 12: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, brout.
Speaker 2: Sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 13: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Why mining so important?
Speaker 14: It's the foundation of everything that define those society. Everything you see is a product of mine. No matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the intervals papbook process. That's why mining is so IMPORTANTBM.
Speaker 9: Dot com The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware, and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you or shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 7: This is I on the Ball on Box Sports fourteen finding want to take part for the show called up Steve now went five two oh four, one, six seventy four days.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Mike Quinn. Now on the phone. We have court of the Arizona gymnastics team. John, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm good? Steven back how are you doing.
Speaker 2: We're doing fine. Hey, what a fantastic season you've had.
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you when you have time to kind of reflect? Are you too busy to reflect? Or you a guy that kind of maybe can you know, smell the roses?
Speaker 5: I like to celebrate the small victories, but at the same time it's probably going to take a couple of months to really let it set in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did it meet your expectations?
Speaker 5: I would say it met them in and met them in a lot of ways. Yes, we you know, we had it. We had a really good game plan from the beginning of the year. We knew we had to do things a little bit differently. We knew we had to pack the athletes later. We had a great buy in from all of our student athletes for the things that we needed them to do in order to be successful, and we were able to execute throughout the entire season and really focused on process not outcome. And that's just really important. When you can't control what the other team does, we can control what we do. So it was so much about process and uh and never giving up and having the wee over me mentality, really reminding them of that that all of us it's not just one of us, it is all of us. And that's just not the things that we do with gymnastics, that's just everything with the program. You know, whether you're in your in your social life, in the classroom, representing Arizona Athletics, representing ours of gymnastics, it is a we It is a wee thing.
Speaker 4: It is not amusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's outstanding. The So, you know, you talk about expectations, you talk about a team buying in. I see Elizabeth LaRusso is coming back. What are your expectations for next year? I mean, it's like people have bought in, want to stick around.
Speaker 5: It's great to bring back Elizabeth. She was injured last year so she didn't play. And Elizabeth also graduated a year early from high school, so she's the same age as by sophomores.
Speaker 2: Wow right now.
Speaker 5: And she'll be a staple on the vault and for exercise next year just like just like she was this year. So it's definitely excited to have her back. And she's working on her graduate degree in speech pathology. Great major here.
Speaker 2: So let me say we've had you on the show kind of every year, and every year it progressed, right, is it building? It got to this point in a building method and continue with that building.
Speaker 5: Method, Yes, without a doubt. I mean when you look at our regional results, in our regular seating results, they've kind of been equal, but last year it wasn't equal. Last year we went into the regional's ranked I think nineteenth to twentieth, and we just we didn't have a great team performance. We dropped the thirty first in the rankings we were and we were pre season thirty one this year, and we also finished sixteen because we made the Sweet sixteen this year in gantastics, and I believe the buying was really there. We had twelve underclassmen, which you know when some can sometimes be a challenge, for sure, but we had wonderful leadership with our seniors and juniors in our fifth year, a lot of dats, and that buy in and that leadership really was the difference for the end result that we had.
Speaker 2: This might be a doub question because I've covered sports forever, but better, better athletes, better conditions, better situations, what's been the difference?
Speaker 5: I thought this year we had better buy in. And that's not not to knock teams of the past, but just this year that buying level was at an elite level. I thought. We also made sure that we said, okay, what can we do differently from prior years.
Speaker 2: We changed around the.
Speaker 5: Equipment in Michael. Yeah, so it did not look like it did in prior years. We brought out both east and west side seating all the way to the baseline, so the fans were six feet away from the athletes. So it created an entirely different environment. Sometimes it was loud, you couldn't hear yourself, you know, speak to someone, and the fans had a good time. We brought up the fireworks, some power technics for introductions. We had a new electronics scoring system. We did a lot of things for fan engagement. We had a new marketing guy. He did a great job. We did some things differently to get Zona Zoo. We raffled off of Giant Screen TV this year to get some students to show up. So we just did some things a little bit differently, and we'll sit down at the end of the year and say, hey, what worked and what needs to get better so we can keep capitalizing on the momentum from this year's season.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we keep hearing that nil transfer portal room in college sports.
Speaker 2: Uh, how does that affect women's gymnastics?
Speaker 5: I think you know, for us it's alive. You know, the transfer portal is alive.
Speaker 4: And well in those.
Speaker 5: Things that you just said, I think you just have to navigate the best that you can. You have to stay true to your principles, but also you have to know, hey, this is this is the this is the college world that we live in right now, regardless of the division. And I think you have to say, okay, this is what we want to do as a program who fits those profiles.
Speaker 2: So I'm sorry, dinner to keep going no.
Speaker 5: Because because because for me, I don't like transactional relationships. I like gugutent relationships and sometimes I stalk, can interfere, And you know, for our program, we want to be certainly as competitive as possible, but we also want to make sure that in four years they're ready to go, they're ready to graduate because there isn't a pro level with our sports. They have to get out, they have to get a job, they have to go to grad school and ready to put themselves into society and be successful. That's also our job, as well as winning championships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're.
Speaker 3: Definitely into into the buy in which the transfer portal can make that difficult, you know, bringing bringing people in in the middle, uh that are that are transactional as you mentioned. Uh So I commend you on being committed to that that effort and sounds like you certainly have people that are bought in because you're bought in on that.
Speaker 5: It's it's starts at the top. I have to leave from the front, you know, for sure, myself and my and my staff. And it doesn't mean that the portals. You know, sometimes it can be something that's good and sometimes it can be something that's bad. For lack of a better word, whatever the reason is that you go in or you stay in or you come out. People just trying to do, at the end of the day, what is best for them. I can't fault anybody for doing that, honestly, you know, that's that's just that's just life. And I hope that everyone that goes in they land someplace and they're happier or second try, or sometimes sure or sometimes the third try. It's up to us as coaches to vet to vet the process and you know, make sure that we have our trucks and ballots. So whoever that we do bring in on the portal, we're making sure that they you know, that they are what we need, you know, certainly athletically, academically and a cultural fit for our program.
Speaker 2: Sure, let me ask you. Because of the success, I'm sure that you're getting more inquiries, body better more and going out and finding a better gymnast, if that makes any sense, if if that's a phrase. But does the quality of recruitings get raised a little?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? It does. You know. Towards the end of the season, you know, we had the championship run Big twelves, we would running round there and we had a recruiting weekend between the Big twelve championships and our regional championships, so we had we had two prospects out and that went very very well for us.
Speaker 2: So till probably the season. Let me interrupt you, So how long you've been here? A few years now?
Speaker 5: Right, just just you know I've been here and there, yeah, twenty seven years.
Speaker 2: Love, But as a head coach, as a head coach.
Speaker 5: Head coach, I just finished my seventh.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I'll think you in five or six, Okay, So seventh tell me given the long range history. I've been here for thirty seven and saw some some gymnastics meets through the years, but the quality of the quality of athletes must have gone from this to this in all that time you've been here, right, and even now it's kind of maybe ramped up in the last seven years.
Speaker 5: It's I mean, the quality of athlete has has always been good, you know, certainly at Arizona with twenty years ago or that or today, you know, they're they're doing this, they're doing the same skills, they're just doing.
Speaker 2: That doing it.
Speaker 5: I think a little bit different setting. When you put live television into it and put social media into it, it's like everyone's seeing your routines every single night that you're playing. Yeah, and that and that, and that changes and that that changes a lot of things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: For for someone eighteen to twenty one years.
Speaker 2: Old, was it was there a time coach in the season that you said, hmm, we might have something here or did you kind of already know?
Speaker 5: No, So we talked about process and then we were having a staff meeting and one of one of the coaches said, you know, we haven't lost at home or you know, we haven't been out of the top twenty all year long. I think it was at the midway point in the season and it was like, yeah, yeah, you're right, and I said, who have we You know, we might have two losses up to that point, and it was one was to Utah and one was to Michigan Historical Programs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Utah has been very, very very good over the years. Let me ask you too, So I'm going to give you this magic wand what would you like people to know about this, because I'm sure you would ask for more people to show up and be more engaged, and how maybe help with that and out what would you maybe give one or two thoughts to people who don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that people need to come out and see the one. There's an entertainment level to what we do, and there is a huge athleticism to what we do, where it doesn't matter if you know a little gymnastics or a lot or none at all, but if you come and you see what our team is doing and just the physical rigors of the sport, whatever workout it is that you know that you might do, whether it's something hard or something easy, and you come and see what they have to do and the level of performance that we have as a team. There's also a great family value in the Kale. Tickets are not that expensive and in and out in less than two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have five to six home meets a year. I just asked that everyone gives us a chance. We're doing some really really special things. Tucson's a great place to play, regardless of whatever sport you like, you know, Tucson's is an awesome place with that, and I just think that if we can get more people into McHale to see it, they're going to like what they see. They're going they're going to enjoy it. And we've had a lot of new folks this year that have come. We've set up some things for kids, you know, in the in the competition venue. Everyone's really enjoyed it. And I definitely want to give a shout out to our you know, to our corporate sponsorships that really helped one of ours want to help fitness one of the Chick fil A, Irvington and uh in nineteen. There were big sponsors this year for us. And everything helps.
Speaker 2: Move the needle right, no, no, take the village.
Speaker 5: Every every bit helps, every bit helps and it takes a village, you know, without it, without a doubt, but it's it's that it's that magical. You know that that is for sure. And you know, I gotta give a shout outs to my to my coaches that were awarded you know nt double a Regional Assistance of the Year, all three of them, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 5: Three people on the first team All Conference list in the Big twelve, first through in the Big twelve. Some great honists.
Speaker 3: I can see how the uh these you know, your your women would be such great role models for young girls. Uh, just to come out there and see the strength, the power, the agility, the poise. Yeah, I can. I wish I could drag my if if I had little girls again, I'd be dragging them out there.
Speaker 5: I know that drag yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh I definitely wi, I definitely will because you HITM and his wife do go to these events.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. Are you one of those coaches? You you win matches on Saturday, uh, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, you win during the you win during the week.
Speaker 5: Absolutely what you how you play their affection of reflection of how you practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you put them through tough. Is it you put it through them through tough situations or them putting themselves through both.
Speaker 5: You know, we do a lot of mental training, but we also do quite a bit of you know, game day scenarios and situations because we have to be able to step up.
Speaker 2: To the pressure. Yeah, well you put yourself and you have to welcome that pressure. Well, you welcome the pressure. Well you can have to pressure yourself again because you continue to do that trend up right, So you know you sold ten cars last week. I guess what you have to do this week? John, Yeah, well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I raell fifteen. I want to sell twenty.
Speaker 3: And you know what have you done for me lately? I'm I'm excited about your next season, that.
Speaker 2: For sure, coach. Don't put too much pressure on.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's all it is is an opportunity. Yeah, you know, it really is. Every day it's a different opportunity to to get better without a doubt. You know, we're gonna, you know, we want to enjoy the what just happened, and you know we want to sell. We want to celebrate that, you know, but we're gonna we're gonna turn the page here down the road sure, and we'll get ready for next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, when you're at a barbecue and may or June you said, I don't know if you drink a beer or two. We did have a pretty good year, so you'll be able to enjoy it. When when does your season?
Speaker 5: I enjoy it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? When does your season start?
Speaker 5: Competitions will start in January. Okay, we go until April, so we you know, we just we just finished up and all the coaches were recruiting last week. So we just got to town. And tomorrow can I uh have a daughter function and then tomorrow will uh, I'll be out at Vinie's Pizza and Sia Vista. I'm the coach's caraventor.
Speaker 2: Let's start tomorrow real quick. Thank you for bringing that up. Tomorrow it starts right Uh. Tell me about that, the reports of that with Desirae in in the past eighties doing this stuff because you need that engagement.
Speaker 5: It's about bringing Yeah, it's one hundred percent about fan engagement. We're bringing us to the fans, you know, and really hoping to force for some new relationships and uh, you know, and also enjoy some some old ones that we've all already established and you know this. This tour is going throughout the state. It's already started last week. It kicked off last week. This will be my first first stop and I'll be there. I believe Ben the swim coach, is going to be there and bring some athletes with us down to Sierra Vesta.
Speaker 2: We'll talk.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about the season and promote our sports and promote promote our athletic department.
Speaker 2: Right right, okay, coach, but.
Speaker 5: Also see what Hey, as a fan, what's important to you?
Speaker 2: What do you need? Yeah? Be important from their end of it, right, no question, coach, Thanks a bunch for joining us. Congrats again. Yeah, what a great year.
Speaker 5: I appreciate I'll see you guys around.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks a bunch of John Court from the Arizona gymnastics team. The coach obviously for a long time, twenty seven years, seven years as a head coach. Just take a break and it will take some calls on the other side. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Take a look back at the Loudelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 2: What's your goal?
Speaker 12: A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With the over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health. Our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead Edge an exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: Craving Tucson's Best Burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 9: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 17: We believe less is more. Let's bees need more money in your Pocketless hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more pendants in your financial future. Payramids a lessons More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum pair Maid Federal Credit Union. Where less is more federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 7: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, You or Mike Quinn. We got I am one and Ray catching the phone call. So you guys ready to call, please do five to two zero four one six seventy four four zero. We'll take your calls. Any thoughts on what's going on another I'll wait for you to get the recent most recent announcement because we get about fifteen minutes before we go to breaking news again. So things going on with the men's basketball program, which is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean all good news seems like yeah, I mean, it was tough to have Henry leave, but I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, I wish you would have you know, Okay, I want to be positive. I wish he would have stayed. I really liked him. I really liked the way he played too. But I tell you, I waka stayed. I tell you what that that's a difference maker, I think, Oaka. You know these guys with you know, who's I think might be? And I dive, who's my kiss? The death guy last year? Oh? My Deloso he was my right. I think he's gonna be just a death guy again because a year under his belt, maybe more confidence, maybe a little stronger maybe and maybe he can shoot. He's not your volume shooter. That's the other kid, right, yeah, yeah, the other you know. I mean the thing is that, Look, it looks like we've got some shooters. I hope that uh, you know, Delorso like gets the lead out of his feet. I mean, I think he needs changed his shoes from you know, steel boots, because the guy moves his feet.
Speaker 3: So he's not a defender. You don't pay him to defend, Yeah, you don't. You don't pay him to defend. You certainly don't. But I tell you the other team knows that too.
Speaker 2: It's funny. Now, guess what. You don't pay him before five years ago, you don't. You're not supposed to. Now you have to pay him. You gotta call, we gotta call. Hello, you're on the air nine in the ball.
Speaker 3: Who's this?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: Steve? This is done? Hey, what's up? Not too much? I Mike?
Speaker 18: I got everybody good, good good. I'm glad Mike's on today so I can have my opinion. There you go, not not not like the last couple of times that I called not naming any names, but Troy Hutchinson. But anyway, you know, everything looks good for Arizona for next year. I agree with what you're saying. But what nobody's mentioning is greeb Us has a foot injury. Aristotle has a foot injury. And these these are not ballerina dancers. These are big guys. And you know, wasn't it wasn't it Bill Walton's feet that did him in? You know it's it's it's like like that's the part that makes me nervous because we could be in the same boat again where we could lose a guy, lose two guys, we could lose completely different guys. But uh that that part kind of it worries me just a little bit. I hope, I hope that everything goes well and these guys get plenty time enough to heal.
Speaker 2: Well, we got to call it. It's Troy Hutcherson. I think he's once to tell you that it's only it's only April. Relax. Relax.
Speaker 18: Well, I mean, the thing is is Crebas ain't gonna get any smaller come October.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not gonna get any faster. He's not gonna get any faster either. Yeah, yeah, that that either.
Speaker 18: Luckily, he's got big he's got a lot of rains. He didn't have to take that many steps, but he's.
Speaker 2: Just such a big force he needs to. You can't ask a dude like that to be more mobile because I don't know if he can be.
Speaker 3: You wish he would be. Well, Henry can be a big force in the middle.
Speaker 2: That's it. I agree, Henry.
Speaker 18: Henry was was like if he if he'd have stayed and developed a little bit more, how much how scary would he be? Because he's he He could be your four yep and and Crevas stays in the middle and try to get a shot off. No, you have, especially in this especially in mid range, you know Big twelve, because there's a lot of guys take a lot of mid range shots in the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have really liked to Henry Crevas a waka.
Speaker 18: Just on the floor at the same time.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, but just just a little combination with your other dude, that rotation.
Speaker 18: That rotation, none of them would get tired. That would have been so awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that may be why I would have been. That may be why Henry left. You maybe didn't want to be part of that rotation. He wanted to get a little more playing time. Hey, don we gotta go. We got another call.
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling, guy, Thanks, thanks for listening. As always, we got another call. Hello, you're on the air. Nine in the wall. Who's this? Hello? Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: This Brian?
Speaker 2: Hey, Brian, Hey, what's going on? Brian?
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably the best thing I heard all weekend.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's nice to have a walk up back and everything. It was what the Tennessee football team did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were going to talk about it, but go ahead and say what you're gonna say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think it's about time someone said, hey, enough is enough. Yeah, you know, and I think more schools have to do it. But unfortunately, uh, it's not going to happen. You know, it's got to happen. Something that has to be a stop to this somehow.
Speaker 2: I mean the kids.
Speaker 5: Okay, I he basically made an I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if he signed a contract or made an agreement or something in writing whatever you know it. Firstly, I guess it was like eight million for four years, basically what it is if you didn't go to this draft. And then he finds out those the quarterbacks and transferred back and somebody else made four million. He says, well, I want money too. I want all that money too, and it's just got to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, look you're like you just said, it might stop in some place and might not stop in other places, but that's the world we live. It sucks to me. Mike and I were talking about that before the show. To me, I love my job, I love what I do. I hate that part of the job and I'm not even involved. I just have to write about and talk about it. But but it's just so sad what we've come to with sports at the college level, right right.
Speaker 4: You know, it's just you know, I know, it's free agency, and I understand it that you know, these kids want to, you know, strike while the iron's hot and everything, but still, I mean, if you put kind of like it's like blackmailing the school if you don't do this, and I'm not gonna do anything for you, you know, But it also too but you're black milliing the school, you're black million the fans at the same time. Yeah, this stuff, this stuff just turns fans off the college sports.
Speaker 3: Now, no, no question question. Yeah, the pie is going to get smaller with that. The Uh yeah. So this guy, I guess uh was part of a number of athletes who said he if you want me to play in a bowl game, it's it's scary enough to pay me more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh right?
Speaker 3: Did it come from him or his dad? I heard his dad was involved somehow. Well, I'm sure his dad is involved. He's got a whole entourage, agents family. I mean, I don't know if he ever speaks for himself.
Speaker 2: Brian, this is a personal question. Let me ask you a personal question because I have Mike. He's a booster too, He's a lum. I want to see you buy tickets, right, Mike, I do you do you give a little scratch to the teams, the guys. No.
Speaker 4: I I buy the tickets, thesent tickets, whatever. And that's it, you know, And it's I mean, it's these tickets have gotten more expensive. Yeah, and I can't see paying more for the tickets than there going. Okay, I'm going to get more money to a spoiled kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you're not alone. You're not alone especially and I know you probably don't make one point five two million dollars a year. Get you're giving people who make that more money.
Speaker 4: Right, It's hard. It's hard for me. I'm retired. It's hard for me to want to get money to somebody who's going to make two or three times the money I make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right exactly, you know. And it's like, well, you know, I'd like to have a good team. You know, if you want to have a good team, you got to do this. I'm like, we're all rod team. I'll still see you from the side. Yeah, I'm gonna get to jeopardize my retirement so somebody can, like some spoiled kid, can you know, buy another car.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And with that settlement from the NC Double A, it's probably going to get worse because it's going to be more money involved now. And unfortunately, the lesser sports, you know, are going to be the ones who are gonna get screwed on off this whole thing. Well, because you're you're not going to have you know, you're not gonna have a lot of money for baseball tennis, golf, you know gymnastics that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, you saw the uproar basketball, we'll get it all. You saw the uproar with the DA only getting two to four percent of whatever they're going to get, right, and that was hard all done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I understand you know how you know how she feels. You know, she needs to go to a place. And fortunately now in coaching, it's also you need to figure out a place I can go right and get money so I can recruit, you know. And before when she first started recruiting, it was a pretty level playing field, you know. I mean, I know there was money passed from my only camp by and not be naive about it. There was stuff that was going on. But now that it's all out in the open, it's even worse.
Speaker 2: Right right, Okay, thanks Brian has always, thanks for calling, Thanks for listening to it. Got about five minutes, four minutes, I'm saying, we yeah, I've got about four minutes. Yeah, we may take a call or two if you want to call real quick five two oh four, one, six seventy four forty. That's the issue. I have. I make X amount of money now very why would I pay it to do who makes ten twenty times what I make?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then what we're going to see and we're well, we're seeing. What we are seeing is these teams are now funded by billionaires, you know, I mean they're like pro sports, you know, uh, you know Oregon is funded by uh Nike.
Speaker 2: Home state, those guys, the oil well in Texas, the oil.
Speaker 3: Texas oil, Oklahoma's Oklahoma state. Who was the guy that just funded Michigan said go out and buy a football team.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But it was like, yeah, the you know, uh, that's where that that money is going to come from. You know, sit there and ask you know, and I know they do, but sit there and ask, you know, the regular people that are out here. You know, hey, give up some of your money so we can go, you know, pay this eighteen year old kid two million dollars.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I don't know if I'm that, but think about it. It's not just one kid, and it's the whole starting lineup, yeah, which is going to be what eight to ten million dollars If Matt in my math is right, Holy moly. You know I know where you live. I know where you live, right, you have a nice place. Don't be surprised if you have a neighbor who's yeah getting his degree.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, oh I know these I mean, these guys definitely can afford a better house.
Speaker 2: And I'm in. And that's no no harm, no foul, because you know, more power to you, good luck, good luck with that.
Speaker 3: I don't blame the kids. I mean absolutely don't blame the kids. I mean they're gonna get They're gonna try and get what they're gonna get. I think I think the kids. If there's a guy from the Tennessee quarterback, well, the Tennessee quarterback. You know, someone told me once is like, uh takes to get fat hogs get slaughtered, you know. I mean, if you're gonna be if you're gonna go after greed and you're gonna be part of the sloth, yeah, you're gonna be. Uh at some point, it's gonna come back at you.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If this guy's gonna get four million dollars, the guy is not that good. I mean, Arch Banning is our Arch Banning is getting twelve million dollars. But heyes, twelve million dollars. His the one guy that doesn't need started like one or two games. Yeah, well you say payment for past performances. Yeah, past performances no indicator of future performance, yea, as past results no indication.
Speaker 2: Uh no, but that's how I bet my horses, baby, Absolutely, past performances, exactly. Keep looking at that. By the way, the Kentucky derby three weeks, I'm excited about that. Journalism gonna win it. Yeah, journalism, Journalism is gonna win it. It's back. Journalism is back, at least in the horse racing business. Maybe the only they're they're at the place. Yeah, you heard it from me. Now I gave you a few first time. The journalism will pay off. Hey, let the.
Speaker 3: Jokes come from the professional exactly. Sorry, sorry about that. I should have written that down and slid it over to you. Say this, say this, Hey, let's go this with that will go?
Speaker 2: I know,