Speaker 1: And now doctor Watson, back to our final story.
Speaker 2: Will mister Harris. When I was packing my peer fishing paraphernalia this morning, it had put me in mind of the horrible catastrophe that interrupted a certain trip Homes and I were indulging in. Fishing was one of the few sports you know that Holmes enjoyed. Yes, the last character in that tragic episode died just last winter, the poor lady who lived in a lodging house in total seclusion, going out only at night, and then all was heavily veiled. Yes, I have finally decided to tell the case of the double tragedy at Abbess Parva.
Speaker 1: Abbus Parva, that's a curious name. Doctor.
Speaker 2: Was it in Italy? No, mister Harris. Abbas Povert is a small village in Berkshire. Rohonda's circus had halted there for the night on its way to Wimbledon. They were simply camping and not exhibiting. As the place is so small, it wouldn't have paid them to.
Speaker 3: Open Ronder's circus. Sir, I don't believe I've heard of it, doctor. Was it a big one ru for.
Speaker 4: The those days?
Speaker 2: Yes? Ronda was at one time a household word in England and on the continent. I don't believe he ever went to the United States. He was the rival of Wmwell and of Sanger, perhaps the greatest showman of his day. There is evidence, however, that he took to drink, and that both he and his show were on the downgrade at the time of the Great tragedy. Well, it was spring and the trout season was on. Holmes and I had gone to Berkshire to a place we knew for a bit of fishing. Late one afternoon we received a message from Rohonda's circus that it was encamped in the neighboring hamlet of Abbess Power. It seemed Jojo wanted to see us. It was a fine evening, so after supper, Homes suggested we stole over and have a chat with him. Jojo was an old friend.
Speaker 1: Of Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 3: Mister Holmes certainly had a great variety of acquaintances doctor everything from clowns to cabinet ministery.
Speaker 2: It is quite and I rather suspect he preferred the clowns. He always said they were more human. Where we found Jojo behind the cook tent, smoking his evening pipe. A peculiar, exhilarating smell that a circus carries with it, hung heavy in the still air.
Speaker 3: I know it's made up of animals and peanuts and sawdust and canvas and pink lemonade.
Speaker 2: And that's as good a description as any mister had is Well, everything looked peaceful enough, but there was an undercurrent of excitement about. Somewhere in the distance, A lion roared.
Speaker 1: Wrong with that lion, jojo, he sounds uneasy.
Speaker 5: Oh you mean Sahara King getting near his feeding time?
Speaker 2: Sounds vicious?
Speaker 5: That he is vicious came near the morning Genie when she went into his cage for last night's show.
Speaker 1: Who is Jeannie? Now?
Speaker 5: Don't tell me you don't know Jeanie, Mister Olmes a bell you Genia the greatest artist on a slack wire, this kind of her head until she cut a ligament in her right leg one night last year when I drunken raster about hadn't put up an equipment proper light.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, A fine girl.
Speaker 5: Jeanie, born and brought up on the sawdust and doing spring through a roup before she was ten.
Speaker 4: The prettiest youngster you ever did see, Air like.
Speaker 6: Red gold and cheeks as pink as roses.
Speaker 5: Well, she's only twenty eight now, and an and some woman still, but she's seen a bit of live mister Romes, and it's left its mark.
Speaker 1: I guess, oh what happened?
Speaker 5: Well, when she was going on eighteen, she married.
Speaker 1: Rhonda to me, the man who owned for something. Yeah, that's him, August H.
Speaker 5: Roonda, and there rained a wild animal in any of his cages. Can touch him for pure dann right meanness and cruelty.
Speaker 2: Well didn't, I didn't. He youngly didn't know that, but she married him.
Speaker 1: She knew it right enough.
Speaker 5: Ain't anyone in show business don't know about Rhonda. She married him to save her dad from going to prison. You see, Ronda got him for forging a check. Some say it was a put up job, and I'm not saying it wasn't, lightly seeing as Genie's father never learned to read or write. Alsoever, Ronda seemed to think he had a case, so Jeanie married him to keep things hushed up. Yes, sir, that check was for one hundred pounds, But I guess Genie has had a million pounds worth of suffering since then.
Speaker 1: Ronda kept getting.
Speaker 6: Worse and worse.
Speaker 4: First it was.
Speaker 5: Drink, then women, and then he took her beating her up michiget it blackguard, Yes, I kind of figure. He hated her because he knew he wasn't fit to clean up boots, always figuring out new ways to torture. And when she fell and cut her leg and couldn't walk the wire anymore, he said she had to do something in a living. He put her in the cages, doing an act with the big cats.
Speaker 1: I mean the lions and tigers.
Speaker 5: Yes, mister Ownes, Well, Genie's always been afraid of him ever since she was a baby. Couldn't even stand aside of a common ordinary house care. Some folks are like that, mister owns Yes, it's a not uncommon phobia.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: And so when Roonda may Genie work with the big cats, it was pure torture doer. And maybe he didn't know that, Yes, sir. He even makes her feed them, so it's because they'll feel more friendly toward her if she does. But between you and me is because they always roar so at feeding time.
Speaker 6: And that terrifies her.
Speaker 2: You see, present medieval gentlemen, he should have lived at the time of the Spanish Inquisition. Look, yeah, why didn't someone in the circus interfere go to the police.
Speaker 1: But we don't dare for her lose that jobs.
Speaker 4: Besides, what could we prove?
Speaker 2: What's in the circus.
Speaker 7: Is a world of its own, and the people in it are born, brought up, and finally they die under canvas. They travel here and there, never making any real contact with outside life.
Speaker 1: If one of the performers had stepped into protect Missus Roonda, he'd have lost his job and never been able to get into a circus again in all probability.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, that's right.
Speaker 7: As I said, the circus is a world of its own. It has its own loves and hates, its own laws and standards.
Speaker 1: And Rhonda as it's a it's Caesar, it's God, the circus performing. There is no life outside the circus. Take him away from the sawdust, and.
Speaker 7: The circus smells its eternal wanderings, it's audiences, it's hardships, and he's as lost and out of places you would be on Mars.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, And that's why no one's ever calling the police, first, because we don't dare in second, because we don't like outsiders poking around our affairs, have it. You're different, mister Olmes. You understand this. Besides, you're not a regular blue nose.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what is always saying, not one of the official.
Speaker 5: Police, Yes, sir, and so that's why mister roons are I thought, maybe you kind of take a look around.
Speaker 6: Maybe, well, maybe you might be in time to prevent something.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by something, Jojo?
Speaker 5: First, if I know, miss drones, but something's going to happen, it ain't going to be pretty. I got a feeling a kind of warning. And I ain't the only one. The rest of him they got the wind up too. We don't know exactly why.
Speaker 7: Yes, I noticed that everything was unnaturally quiet as I came past the tents tonight. No singing and shouting, none of the usual couples walking around arm in arm. Everyone seems to be under cover.
Speaker 5: Yea, that's what they are said, undercovered and listening, waiting for something to happen.
Speaker 4: Some people say we circus spokes is superstitious.
Speaker 5: You call a watch light, but we always knows when something's going to happen. The night before the big blowdown outside of Dover when twenty people was killed there was a feeling like this all through the camp, the same way when Lilian de Land Strappee snapped and she broke her neck.
Speaker 2: Even the animals seem.
Speaker 1: To feel it.
Speaker 6: I tell you, miss Romees, something's going to happen, but we don't know what.
Speaker 1: Perhaps you do subconsciously.
Speaker 5: I've praid I didn't get that, Miss Jones, A pretty big words, sir, whatever it was.
Speaker 7: Subconsciously, all I mean is this, Jojo. We are aware of a lot of things on the back of our minds, that well, that we don't actually think. Out the back of our minds notices a lot of little things we don't even remember, and it adds all these little things together and reaches some rather surprising conclusions. Now on them, these conclusions a month to a knowledge of danger, and the subconscious mind tries to flash us a warning, and we feel uncomfortable because we cannot go back into our unconscious minds and dig out the items that have gone to make up the total.
Speaker 6: Well, if you can't chakad, I guess.
Speaker 1: But sometimes you can. If you have helped now then, Jojo, you say you're worried, and Genie Randa is obviously uppermost in your mind.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, I don't feel right about Jeanie, not since Sahara King tried a maula last night.
Speaker 7: Ah, it's a fact, I see, But she doesn't have to go into his cage again until you reach your next stand.
Speaker 1: Am I right well?
Speaker 5: No, that is she supposed to feed him to night, but I heard to say to Randa this afternoon she wasn't going near the beast again.
Speaker 1: Ever, Hm, defliants rather unusual after all these years, he jojo.
Speaker 5: Yes, mister Romes, it's an hour pass Sahara King's feeding Timmy.
Speaker 6: He's getting worse several.
Speaker 1: Minutes, jojo. What has happened lately to give Genie Randa the courage to defire her husband?
Speaker 7: Well, sir, well that is a I really don't know by right, but you'll suspect something. Well that is a well, now, I really wouldn't like to say, you see, well, uh, I'm fond of Genie.
Speaker 1: Someone has joined the circus lately as someone who isn't afraid of Randa, But who is fond of Genie? Am I?
Speaker 5: Right, well, I wouldn't say he's really fond of her. Maybe it's just because if Randa dies, the circus belongs to his widow, and anyone can see the Randa's liable to have apoplexy any day.
Speaker 4: We don't give up drinking like a sponge.
Speaker 6: Well, bless me, how did you guess, mister Romes.
Speaker 7: Nothing persuades a woman to defy one man as quickly as a knowledge that there's another man to back her up.
Speaker 1: And who is this chap who isn't afraid of Randa?
Speaker 5: It's Leonardo, the new strong man. He's answered all right, strong as an ox. But I don't trust him, mister Roomes. He don't look you straight in the eye. Who are not blaming Jeanie? I guess compared to all London, he looked like the angel Gabriel. Besides, he's the first man that ever did show her any attention. She's been pretty lonely sometimes.
Speaker 1: Do you think Randa suspects this certain attachment that I don't know, misster Omes?
Speaker 4: I wish toever and I did.
Speaker 5: Seems he came home unexpected last night. As a ruler sits drinking in some papara until closing time. But last night he came on early and Jeanie wasn't in their wagon. He liked to tore up the place, or whether he found out something I couldn't say.
Speaker 2: I wish someone would beat that beast of it to stop that cat of walling. It gives me goose flesh all up and done my.
Speaker 5: Spine, And well it may if he ain't fed soon, he won't be safe for anyone to go in his cage.
Speaker 1: Yes, come along, Watson, I think the sooner we reach it the better.
Speaker 2: You mean you're going to interview that lamb?
Speaker 5: What what do you think it is, mister Roomes, what's going to add?
Speaker 1: I'm not certain, Jojo, But doesn't it strike He was curious that if Rhonda isn't going to force his wife to feed the beast, he hasn't sent someone else to do it.
Speaker 5: You think he's just letting her put it off until the beast in a filthy, dangerous rage.
Speaker 1: In a killing rage.
Speaker 5: Perhaps why germiny that if they just like him to make a go in there.
Speaker 1: And not a chance exactly, and no one could ever prove he meant to her.
Speaker 2: He must be almost there. That he sounds a perfantly closed just around his tenser. Oh it was why you're cocking your revolver.
Speaker 3: You don't actually think someone on the other side of the tent talking, Oh, yes, well.
Speaker 4: Think you're going to find me my girl, I'll show you.
Speaker 8: But I'm afraid please just this one.
Speaker 2: How could that Kate and get in there. I'll plug the skin off your back.
Speaker 4: I'll show you who's your master. O. I didn't know you were sneaking out nights.
Speaker 2: I love that case. Oh hurry, we'll stop it.
Speaker 4: She can't go in there.
Speaker 2: Help help, so hormful, Help, there they are. Sara is out of the.
Speaker 7: Cake man b Watson, I've got your shoe.
Speaker 9: You Jenny, Jenny, are you hurd f Oh it's torn the faces she's.
Speaker 4: Covered with blood?
Speaker 1: Is he Watson? Is she dying?
Speaker 2: I think we can save her, but she'll be horribly disfigured.
Speaker 1: And this man over here, and I take it this is Rhonda.
Speaker 6: Yes, mister Holmes, Sahara must have got in too.
Speaker 2: He's gone. I'm afraid. Back of the skull completely crushed. Good Lord, that animal must have had a pull like a sledgehammer. Look at the claws tore the scalp. I wonder I'm not saying I don't see anything that about whom the lion escaped from the cage and winforday.
Speaker 7: Both of them, just to find out the other man as well? What are the men the one who screamed and ran away?
Speaker 4: Oh, he could have saved me.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 3: The makers of Clippercraft clothes are thinking not only of the suit you by tomorrow, but of the suit you'll buy next year and in the years to come. That's why you can always depend on the clipper Craft label. Why Clippercraft makes a business of bringing you one of the greatest values in America. Behind that smart looking Clippercraft suit is the amazing Clippercraft Plan responsible for Clippercraft's unique values. You get the benefit of tremendous savings through the Clippercraft Plan, whereby ten hundred and thirty six of the nation's finest independent low stores from coast to coast, voluntarily concentrate their buying power. Because of this plan, your fine new Clippercraft suit costs only forty to forty seven to fifty, your tropical only thirty three seventy five to forty dollars, and your sport jacket only twenty six to fifty. For selling expensive clothes at inexpensive low prices at the nation's finest stores is the great, big idea behind the Clippercraft plan. That's why men who know insist on clippercraft clothes, be sure to visit the Clippercraft store in your city.
Speaker 10: These leading stores in the metropolitan area are proud to add their names to Clippercraft and your suits, sport, jackets, and tropicals. In Manhattan, John Wannamaker Men's Stores Broadway at eighth and sixty seven Liberty Street, Sacks thirty fourth Broadway at thirty four. In Brooklyn, Abraham and Strauss in Newick, New Jersey Boulevard Men's Shop presdy Ewick. And in Jamaica the B and B Clothes Shop, one sixty four oh eight Jamaica Avenue.
Speaker 3: And now back to Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson. We find Holmes smoking his pipe, deep in contemplation as he waits for doctor Watson to finish caring for missus Rondon. The night is black and breathless, even the animals are hushed.
Speaker 1: A heavy footed figure approaches, well, Watson, she'll live, but you won't enjoy it. I'm afraid part of the disfigured.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Look here, Holmes, it's getting late. Let's be getting on home. There's nothing more we can do here. How to contrast a lion for murder?
Speaker 1: You know if it was a lion, Watson?
Speaker 2: Or what do you mean if it was a lion? We saw him, didn't we take that poor woman's face.
Speaker 7: I'm not thinking about the woman, Watson, but her husband. He was lying full of ten paces from the cage. I doubt if the lion ever got that far.
Speaker 2: Oh, rubbish homes. You're trying to build bricks without straw. This isn't the case for the police. Perhaps it may very well be a case for Sherlock Holmes. Oh that's conceited, pure and simple, come along homes amnated dead for sleep.
Speaker 1: So you don't think it's a case Watson, No, I don't, And would you mind telling me what to your way of thinking? Did happen?
Speaker 2: WHOA? That was rather obvious? Genirond had opened the cage, the enraged lion jumped past her, killed her husband with a blow, and then returned to finish her off.
Speaker 1: It was the back of Rhonda's skull that was crushed.
Speaker 2: Remember well, naturally he turned and ran when he saw the beast coming for.
Speaker 1: Him, and the man's voice, the man we heard shouting for help, or.
Speaker 2: Holmes, don't be pig headed. Of course, Randa called for help when he saw the lion was out of control. You mean to tell me a man can still cry out with the back of his head battered in Woa, No, that is, and we could still hear his voice after his wife's cries had been stilled. Whoa, of course.
Speaker 7: Furthermore, Randa's body was lying with the head pointing towards the cage, not away from it, as would have been the case if he'd been running away and attacked from the rear.
Speaker 1: No, Watson, Randa was facing the cage when he was struck down.
Speaker 7: Struck down by the man who called for help, but ran away when the lion ate it by the smell of human blood, turned on missus Randa.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's why she kept saying, coward. He could have saved me.
Speaker 7: That man could have driven off the lion with a weapon used to kill Randa if he hadn't lost his nerve.
Speaker 2: Yes, but look here, Holmes, Rhonda was killed by the lion. He must have been. The mass of his claws were left on the skull. You saw that.
Speaker 1: Yourself, mister Howes, Mister houns, Oh, there you are, jo Jo.
Speaker 7: What does she say? Did you see who killed her husband? She won't talk, mister Jones. I can't get a word out of it, but I think she knows right enough.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's terrible.
Speaker 6: She just lies there moaning and crying for Leonardo.
Speaker 1: And where is that gentleman?
Speaker 5: I try to find him for her, but they tell me he went off to town soon after supper. Well there he is now coming up the road from abys Pather. Now I'm just running. Tell him what's happened. Ginny wants to see him. He's the only one who will comfort her.
Speaker 7: That should be an interesting interview. Watson suppose he wandered over to missus Randall's wagon. I believe it has a convenient window. You mean you're going to eavesdrop that is mine?
Speaker 2: Hose have you known moral scruples?
Speaker 1: None whatever, my dear Watson, none whatever. Here, Watson, get down behind these bushes out of the light of that window.
Speaker 2: He's pray, I shan't be able to see anything.
Speaker 1: Have you known moral scruples? Whatsh We don't have to see. All we have to do is hear Ui, Come Leonardo and Jojo. Hello, Jennie.
Speaker 2: Leo, Leo, why did you do it?
Speaker 8: You promise?
Speaker 1: JoJo's here?
Speaker 4: Oh I didn't know.
Speaker 8: I can't see you with these bandages.
Speaker 11: Yeah, just told me what happened? Have you on the road coming back from ABA's father. I'm sorry, Jeannie, he got pretty badly more.
Speaker 8: Yes, but that doesn't matter, oh, Leo. We won't have to run away now, Rhonda, he's We can get.
Speaker 4: Married, decent life married. What makes you think I'm going to marry you, Leo? You promised?
Speaker 11: You think I want to be tied up for life to a woman with only half a face left? Might as well expect me to marry one.
Speaker 2: Of the freaks, don't.
Speaker 8: It's your fat Saharam hold me.
Speaker 4: You could have driven him off with the club you used to shop.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 4: You can't you touch Leo? I warn you, well, listen to who's talking.
Speaker 11: Jojo, get out of here before I cripple you so you can't walk got out here here, Leo.
Speaker 8: Don't hurt him, Jojo, please go. You can't do any good. We get on better if we're alone, please, Jojo?
Speaker 4: All right, but did you let me know if you don't treat your.
Speaker 2: Get out before I kick you. You are to see him run?
Speaker 1: What's quiet?
Speaker 9: Leo?
Speaker 1: You didn't mean what you've just said.
Speaker 4: Didn't I I'm pulling out of here tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Leo, the circus it's mine now, you can have it if we're married. You've always wanted to run a circuit.
Speaker 11: No, sir, I am sensitive. I am I never could stand looking at an ugly woman. Why I'd as soon as marry a gargoyle as a woman without a face.
Speaker 8: I can wear a mask.
Speaker 4: No, it's no good thing.
Speaker 1: Out of here tomorrow. I was gonna stop me. I will.
Speaker 4: I'll go to the police.
Speaker 8: I'll tell him that you kill Randa, they arrest you.
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 4: Your hands aren't any too clean? Remember? But I didn't kill him. I didn't know you were going to.
Speaker 8: All I wanted you to do is keep him from sending me into.
Speaker 11: That cane, going to believe that we're in this together. You can't hand me over without putting a rope around.
Speaker 2: Your own neck.
Speaker 4: And I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 8: I never wanted him killed. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 2: You can't leave me like this.
Speaker 4: Leader, don't go man, stop screaming. You want everybody and captain here.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 4: I won't let you go.
Speaker 11: That's good, that is won't let me go. I am gonna stop me. And another thing, I never did love you. Oh and you get that all the time I was after the circus. But now I don't want it. Not if I've got to have you along with kill you.
Speaker 2: I'll kill you for this word.
Speaker 4: You haven't got the nerve? Well, I'm going.
Speaker 2: He whom You're not going to let him go like that? He's guilty?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 2: She shot him?
Speaker 1: Quick, Watson, We've got to see him. Perhaps he's not dead yet.
Speaker 2: I wish we'd stayed home tonight.
Speaker 1: Hideous Watson, help me tell him about right?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Yes, he's dead, right enough? Hit between the eyes? I shot? So she did have the nerve after all, No, Watson, Genie Rnda did not shoot leonardown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Homers looks for.
Speaker 1: Her eyes were bandaged. Come on, Watson, we're going home. I think I could use a bit of sleep myself.
Speaker 2: When I say, Holmes, look here, aren't you going to stay around and find out who shot him?
Speaker 1: I don't think I want to know. Watson. We solved the first murder. That's enough for one evening. Besides, did I ever tell you that JoJo's father was famous for his tricks with a rifle?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I believe his sons weren't half bad either. But doctor Watson, didn't the police ever discover who killed Leonardo?
Speaker 2: No, mister Harris, they didn't. His body was discovered on the road to abbys Paba. I dare say some of the circus.
Speaker 1: People suspected, dear coupeit, but circus people are notoriously close mouthed.
Speaker 3: Well, doctor, there's one more point I don't quite understand. How did the marks of the lion's claus happen to be found in Rander's skull If Leonardo killed him?
Speaker 2: There there was really a rat, simple, Mister Harris. Holmes eventually found a club with five spikes in it at the bottom of the scum covered pool in the neighborhood. I don't believe he ever mentioned the fact to anyone.
Speaker 3: However, Well, that was certainly a very powerful story, doctor Watson. In fact, Doctor, I'd say it was one of the best stories you've ever told. Thank you, mister Harris. I like to finish on our high point, don't your nerve?
Speaker 1: But you're not going to go away and leave us for good?
Speaker 2: Are you you you really want me to come back in the fall.
Speaker 1: You know we do, doctor Watson.
Speaker 3: Why the week would be kind of empty without a Sherlock Holmes's adventure to look forward to.
Speaker 2: Well, in that case, I think it could be arranged