Speaker 1: Mister, you are grounded and no TV can take you all the exciting colors out of your crayons. When you're out of my sight, you must constantly twitter me exactly what you're up to, even though I don't know what Twitter is and have no desire to find out.
Speaker 2: You guys are the meanest appearents ever.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Four Finger Discount dude.
Speaker 3: Welcome to four Finger Discount. With this week, we're gonna be sending some podcasts, some podcasts from the Wedge.
Speaker 1: Are we in the Wedge?
Speaker 3: Where are we anyway? I'm Danda.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's some fun wordplay there. Yeah, I am guy. By the way, Yes, Postcards from the Wedge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's that a play on? I didn't do any research on the title of this episode, did you know what? I thought? That's gonna be your new bit. You can tell us what the title is? A spin on podcast from the Wedge? What's that I spin on?
Speaker 1: Well? This this requires me to do homework. How funny that this episode is about that, and I would like that. I would rather not do one much. But Postcards from the Edge is the first book by Carrie Fisher. Oh really, yeah.
Speaker 3: She's on the edge of insanity. Most she entered Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Right pretty much. Well, yeah, she was born into a show his family, and I started acting from a fairly young age. Even before she was Friendcess Lage. She'd been in a few movies and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it wasn't Hamble the only real unknown going into the main cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even Hamill was sort of on the on the rise as well. I mean, Harrison Ford wasn't even that well known. He'd been in a few movies and he'd been an American graffiti for George Luke. That's the one, I mean, really a star parent that was Alec Guinness. Yeah, I mean that's that's the one that gave star was a bit of credibility, but no. Postcards from the Edge was Carrie Fisher's first novel, as very sort of thinly veiled story of her life and her sort of career in show because it's about a young young actress in Hollywood sort of navigating her professonal professional life. She's sort of in and out of rehab. She's flirting with flirting with drugs, heavy petting with a drug show, we say, but yeah, it gave a lot of people in indications like, oh, we thought she were just Princess Leia, But you know Carrie Fisher, as I think we've alluded to on we might have talked about this with Lennond Moulton on the Movie Guide with Malton Davis how she was a really successful script doctor for Ages and then she wrote her own scripts. But she also if a production needed like this could use four funnier lines, or this character is a little undeveloped, they'd go to Carrie Fisher. And she was a really good writer to be able to punch it up. So she published a few more books, but Postcards from the Edge was her first one, just before or after Star Wars. It was after Star Wars. I think it was the late eighties early nineties. I remember having a copy back in the day and look, there's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Look it up. So what does that title have to do with this episode? What does because usually the title is a spit on something that can relate what was they talk about the wedge issue in this though, Ah, the wedge of the parents. There you go, well done, sir, there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Postcast the Edge was actually made into a movie with Meryl Streep, Shili McLain I've seen that post and now you're talking about yeahs quades and there Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfus, and the benning is Dreyfus.
Speaker 3: I've always said Dryfus could.
Speaker 1: Be either could be potato potato. Wait a minute, no one.
Speaker 3: Says potato except who the songwriters who are trying to rhyme the word or through.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Postcards from the Edge is yeah, Kerry Fisher Joint Posts from the Widge. Is this episode of The Simpsons, Yeah, which I enjoyed more.
Speaker 3: Than last week. Really, I didn't like cal Yoh at all. I know you did not. Yeah, I enjoyed this one a lot more. I think it's because I am going through what not going through what they're going through. Because my kids don't go out of their way to manipulate, but they're at that point now where they getting old enough my kids where if they get announced that they don't like, they'll just go to the other parent and not go, well Dad said this. They'll just go and say, I'll just see what the other one says. And because if one of them says okay, then we're good. Yeah, but they won't say Dad said no, But what do you reckon, it's just okay, well dad said no, Let's see what mom says, and Nichola says, okay, Nick supposed about me out because I didn't know you'd already said no, And they're like, well, what is it, guys?
Speaker 1: This is something I wanted to talk about with you, because, yeah, you're coming live from the trenches of parenthood.
Speaker 3: Which is why I think I relate a lot more to this.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But hey, I'm wondering if you and Nichola have to sort of sit there before, even before you had kids, sort of had to go right, what's our game plan here? I mean, I know you have to approach everything on a case by case basis. That's life, that's parenthood. But yeah, if there are certain big issues that come up, or certain big issues that knew were going to happen when you had kids, when you had Elliot, when you had only it's like, okay, look, we have to be a united front on this issue. This is the way we're going to take it, even if it may sort of run counter to the way you would normally think about something. It's like, Nicola may have a strong stance on homework, for instance, using this and you mean I'm like, look, it's overrated. I don't know what you mean. It's like, Okay, we have to have a united brun and this has to be our position. Yeah, I'm wondering if that's the case. I don't know how other couples do it. But we never really sat down and had a discussion about things like that. But before kids, it was just a lot of parents don't before.
Speaker 3: You had kids. This is us in general. Before we had kids, you just you got along because you just you got along. There's a reason you were married because you were friends. And that's what having kids. We've had a conversation since even much just like six months ago, is you need to remember why you're married together in the first place, because it's almost like to become work colleagues as opposed to best friends because you're working at it's like you watch the kids, why exercising, it's always like you're chopping each other out. And then my parents God Blessing took the kids for their first little mini holiday away this week just to their their house. They took the kids for four I think it was four nights, three three days, four nights, whatever it was, and we didn't know what to do with that. It got to like Saturday in the morning and we went, what are we going to do? Are the kids on here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh, this is what it was like when we could just and like we said, we said to each other, it's not that we don't want them here, but it was just nice to be able to just do something without having to worry about, of course what they're doing, you know, and it was just having time and we sort of remembered, oh, this is why we're married in the first time.
Speaker 1: Went back to the old normal as opposed to the new norm. Yeah. There's a great line in the movie Before Sunset, you know those ones with Ethan Hawk. Yeah, where I think Ethan Hawk is going through a separation from his wife with whom he has kids, and he and kind of in the weeds about it, and he says, yeah, it's like running a daycare center with someone who used to date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it gets that way. Sometimes you get better at it. When it was when we struggled for a bit, when Holly was starting to talk a lot more and just sort of batchat she was more rebellious than Alliott. I wouldn't call my kids naughty, but they just you know, if they didn't get what they wanted, they would react in a way that most kids would just react to, what do you mean? I want to get what I want? They didn't go oh, like Bart does this episode, I'm gonna plant these seeds and manipulate and things. That's just why am I not getting what I want? And then you get angry and I find myself sometimes I ask myself, am I being a good father? Am I being a good person? I feel like that sometimes their behavior brings out the worst in me. Oh, I understand, and that's why I watching this seeing Homer going, you go do your homework, and then Marge's like, you know you do this? You feel sorry. Sometimes I find Nikola and I Nichola will be struggling to get them to do it. They're todd, get your pjs on, do this, and they're just taking the piss, taking the piss, and Nicholas just come on now, and I just go put your fucking pjs on, like where the bosses, and Nicola goes, Dad didn't mean to get I'm like, don't, no, no, no, And that's where the frustration for us will start stemming from us, like you weren't getting they weren't listening to you. I laid the I put my foot down. Yeah, we've got an object. And then it was I almost felt like, don't make them feel bad because they got youlled at it. They weren't doing what they were told, which is what I watched Homer in this episode. A lot of the cases like do your homework, and for the first time home is actually trying to be a good parents. You told you have to do your homework, you might just like just do a little bit, just do a little bit. I was like, I'll be there.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay. Look that brings a lot of stuff into focus for me, or clarifies a lot, because you look, I just start a parent, don't have kids, haven't had to sort of go through an of this stuff. I was watching a lot of this episode. This should be a lot easier than it is, but no, it can be quite difficult when you've got two people with two different personalities, two different approaches, not necessarily different approaches everything, but certainly to one issue, this wedge issue. Yeah, in this case, it can cause a bit of a bit of a divide.
Speaker 3: It was funny for me last night watching these reviews to do these reviews that we're doing today because we actually recording the next episode as well, back to back here next week one, which is stealing first base. It is, but I'm watching this going I don't think I would have liked these episodes ten years ago, and I compared it to I've been watching the Beatles Anthology mentioned it recently on her podcast, and I love the Beatles growing up, and then I loved Lennon's I loved his solo stuff. But there are a lot of songs where I was just like, they're good songs. And the older I got, he got married, starting having kids, songs like just like starting over, Yeah, beautiful Boy, all those songs, I was like, oh, I get them now. I like to the Maladies, but now I understand the songs. And I was like, I think about a point in my life now where Lennon was, and that point in his life where he's writing things that related to him as a late thirty year old, and now I'm in my late thirties, I'm like, oh, I get these songs. These episodes here, I feel like I'm going through what the writers might have been going through as they were writing these episodes, which is why I think I relate to them a lot more than maybe what you do.
Speaker 1: At this point. Well, I'm glad you're hear that, yeah, because you probably got more to say about this particular episode than I did, which I thought was eh, okay. I mean I think I was approaching it more from a just entertaining Is this an entertaining episode? And it is in some ways, but in other ways it is. I think that was Actually I think I've written down fucking down an episode. Man. Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: There was a subplot here that I feel like could have been its own episode, probably should have been its own episode, the Springfield Subway. There is so much to do with that, and it became just sort of this mini subplot of how Bark caused an earthquake. But I was like, there's a Springfield Subway. That's a whole new world to base episodes around, Like have the episode. I know you've had mar Dresses the monorail, but I think Springfield, for whatever reason, they needed to having to reopen the Springfield Subway and it just remaining open. I think would be a fun new show, adventure and world for them to base episodes. Just for example, I'm thinking playing Simpsons Hit and Run. I know why my brain went there when I was watching this episode in Simpsons Hit and Run. I think it would have been so cool to jump on the Springfield Subway and drive around like I just think there's so many things you could have done based in the Springfield Subway, could have become a new beloved location. But it's just sort of fobbed off.
Speaker 1: I'm wagering when they never gonna hear from it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly right, And that's a shame, I think. I think it's I think it's a really interesting location.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're not wrong, You're not wrong. I mean, sorry to jump ahead to favorite moments were. One of the things that I really liked about this episode was that opening animation, that whole Springfield or Tomorrow thing, and you know, showing that Springfield was indeed a city on the grow at some stage, and it's like, yeah, I like the idea of it being, yeah, a city that's got this whole kind of infrastructure and we're in Geelong, the Springfield of Australia. It's like, I remember we used to have DRAMs and stuff like that, oh way way way back in the day. And I think when you have your hometown. You sort of look at it and go, there's so much potential here. Why are we following through on that march versus the monorail.
Speaker 3: To me, the difference would be that the monorael felt unnecessary and it was clearly a scam from the get go. Right, the Springfield monrorael and a subway must have worked at some point, sure, and then as decided we didn't need to Yeah, man, but had it going quickly?
Speaker 1: Exactly? What do I always say? We used to build things in this kind of It looked really beautiful. Yes, even Bard comments look at that iron work.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, Like this location would have been so beautiful to see up and running you maybe, hey, Al Jean Matt Salmon, Simpsons movie, bring Back the Springfield Subway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, we spoke recently. Come on, you're clearly listening to it. I want to get your thoughts on homework. Yeah. Do the kids have homework? Not yet?
Speaker 3: The only homework they have at the moment is, you know, do some reading, not do an assignment on this?
Speaker 1: Not yet?
Speaker 3: Is any grade grade too? I think grade three is when it really starts kicking into gain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just thinking about diorramas. I think I never had to make a diorhama for a homework or anything like that. But I remember back in like grade six, we had some project was basically like make a plaster of Paris map of Australia or something.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have got make volcanoes and things like that. Yeah, Machet like, it's.
Speaker 1: The point of this, honestly, And I mean the one that I made with a lot of help from Mum turned out to be kind of but ugly and geographically inaccurate.
Speaker 3: We did it, but you got a good memory about it. You got a good memory, but making it right?
Speaker 1: No, not really really.
Speaker 3: Making dioramas and things with my parents. Yeah, that's sort of a key chig memory from that.
Speaker 1: I think both Mum and kind of like, what's the point. What are we doing here, guys? And then this was not like a year long project or something, but it was semi major. He actually had to do it during school holidays as well. I remember coming back from school holidays and someone had made something that looked absolutely beautiful, like one legit professional.
Speaker 3: They didn't make it, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe they didn't.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. I feel like I'm gonna be that parent that wants Elliott's to look good, nice sort of take over. Oh no, that's not what we do, so do we do it this way?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I was thinking about homework, and you hear a lot of sort of parents saying or even you know, wow, God, what's the point of that? Why can't we Why can't our kids learn what they have to learn within school hours and then after hours? You know, that's when they can either extracurriculus or they just get a chance to be kids, just get a chance to relax. Well, yeah, maybe the work the homework is not about the work or not about the task it's been set. It's more about do you have persistence, do you have organization? Do you have good time management? Not? Do you have these things naturally, but we're trying to maybe instill these into you. I think, Okay, well that's valid. That makes a bunch of sense.
Speaker 3: It's for me, My core thing, and I've mentioned this in a podcast, is stressing to my kids. It doesn't matter if you don't get a great score, as long as you're having an effort. As long as you're putting in the effort, that's what I want the most And obviously you want your kids to do succeed and do well in school. But you don't have to succeed in school to succeed in life. No, it's just as long as you are doing what you want to do, you're happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's happy. Yeah, But I mean the structure.
Speaker 3: Of learning and this pertains the homework as well as Yeah, can you do it outside of the structure of school. Yeah, while we're not sort of looming over you, so you know, and there are going to be times when you're not being monitored. Yeah, and that's the time when you have to sort of sit down and go, Okay, well I need to can do ABC and D. Do I have it in me to sit down and do all these things? And what's the most efficient and effective way to do it? I think the older you get, I know, when I was in year twelve anyway, what we call VCE you do less classes so you have more study time at school. So when it starts getting to the nitty gritty, the serious side of things, we've got to get a good score to get into university and things like that. It's all right. Instead of doing you know, ten sessions of classroom. You might do seven and you got five through it, and you can pick when you have your study sessions. Yeah, and you're studying at school. Some kids obviously go the extra mile and study outside of school and they get better scores, but they give you at least that time at school to go. We know that you're probably not going to want to do stuff outside of school, so you can have some study time at school. But yeah, Ali's at that point. He's doing homework yet, but he wants to. He says, I want to do some homework. He'll say, can you give me ten words to write? Or And Ali's he's just a smart kid.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I know you buyas for your own kids, but he's just smart.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, he's motivated.
Speaker 3: I guess you could say, well, it's well, it's good to have the both, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I took him roller skating for the first time the roll skating rink here in Geelong, and he'd never roll scatered or rollerblade whites in his life. And the first fifteen twenty minutes he was struggling and he was falling over and I said, look, I'm gonna go get it there and help him because he's just kept falling over. I could see he was getting I wouldn't say he was getting frustrated. He was getting embarrassed because you've seen other kids sort of scat and he was like, I don't want to look like I can't do this and other kids are falling over, but he doesn't. That's not what he's focusing on. He's just focusing I can't do it, so it. Then I helped him and I got in between. He was holding onto the wall, so I held it. I'm your wall, you hold onto my hand and said I said, you want to have a break, and he goes, no, I'm going to get this. I'm going to get this. And within an hour he was having me time him doing laps because he just he's like, I can do this. I know I can do this. I've just got to practice. And it's just trying to instill in him it's okay because I reckon. A year ago, he would have cracked it, and he's now thankfully learnt that it's okay not to be good at something from the get go.
Speaker 1: That's a valuable less list.
Speaker 3: Persist, you know, just try and it doesn't matter if you don't pick it up. But just try not everything's for everyone.
Speaker 1: Well that's the only I've quoted this interview that I did on ago, and it's probably less valid these days because this guy's going to persona nograda, not persona no grada. But I did this interview with Will Smith back in the early two thousands because he played Muhammad Ali in l A and he referred to himself as a clumsy geek. And he said, but he's the thing. I'm a math guy, and he is. I mean, he got to head a scholarship to MIT to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Smart guy. You know, I believe in math. Like if I do this today and I keep doing this, this, this, and if I keep doing it, it will compound. You know. I was you know, I wasn't able to box like Muhammad Ali. But if I kept training, you know, if I set myself a curriculum and I did it day after day after day after day, I would get muscle memory and eventually I'd be I wasn't able to box like Muhammad Ali, but I was certainly convincing enough to make you think that I could. That makes it. That made a whole bunch of sense to him. It was like Will Smith the smart guy. Yeah, shouldn't have slaped First Rock the.
Speaker 3: Way he did it was Ricky Gervais. I was watching an interview recently, just a clip of it on social media where he goes, I don't think we'll want to do the slap. I think he watch him. You watch his face and he gets up, and he can tell before he even gets to Chris Rock he's regretted what he's done, but he's gone so far to do something. He's reached the point of because he goes he could go up there and just not Chris Rock's block off, but he goes. You watch him when he slashed him, he sort of like leans back on it. It still hits him hard, but he can just tell in his face he was just he went, oh, I've stood up. Now I've got to do something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and confused enough at the moment is like, oh, I could probably turn this into a bit. You know, I could get up and sort of like put him in.
Speaker 3: A headlock or something, just like yeah, it's headlog is like wind by the lights man. Yeah, man, So anyway, but don't slap people.
Speaker 1: Before all that happened, Will Smith at least had one valuable thing to say as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: But I really liked the ending of this. So the whole story is that Bart for those of you that haven't watched the episode, because there are some listeners out there, just don't bother watching the episodes in WHI let's listen to our reviews. So the main story is that Bart is causing a riff in between Homer and Marge because he's just being his normal naughty self and he wants and he he's using them both against each other to get what he wants. Yes, and then they realize, you know what, our marriage is more important. I think Homoss is something along the lines of, we can't let him break our marriage up. We got the reason we got mad in the first place was because of him. Yes, So it's like they didn't focus on themselves and they it was just nice seeing them getting along again, like just and this is what it was like for us in the weekend. It's like, oh, we're just going out and went to the restaurant for a restaurant, had dinner and it wasn't put that down. Sit still, sit on your bum, sit on your bum, don't watch bring the glass away from the edge of the It's always the same routine. Glass away from the edge of the table. Stop talking with your mouth full, sit on your bum. Don't know you want to go to toilet? Okay, no worries, get to the tour at the other one. I need to go to the toilet now, Okay, you're gonna go. Yeah, I'm gonna go. Chop out. It's just it's just nice being able to just relax and seeing margin Homer, just enjoying each other's company and just going, you know what, we don't give a shit, you know. But then they realize that's not how it can work. You need to find a balance of being a good parent and or just being your parent, yes, and working out what works for you guys as well. And then you think that Lisa has overheard a conversation of Bart saying I'm going to cause an earthquake in Springfield and destroy the school by running the subway. But no, he's actually used Lisa's whatever stationary to write a letter too muge, saying as he's Lisa dobbin on Bart, they catch him. He gets caught, He gets in trouble, back to normal, back to the status quo, and is revealed at the end that Lisa's like, I didn't write that note, but tried to get himself caught so that he could go back to the status quo, and Lisa says, I'm not going to say anything. I thought, at least it's a nice moment between brother and sister, because I'm so sick of them being mean to each other all the time. I get the I get bickering brother and sister bickering, but I don't feel like they're bickering anymore. I feel like they genuinely with the recent episodes, they just don't like each other anymore.
Speaker 1: No. No, I mean, look, I don't want to sort of sledge the riders too much, but yeah, it felt like they kind of lost the knack of just writing the kind of banter that a bickering brother and sister would have as a Yeah, I mean, this is just snark as opposed to just yeah, little bits.
Speaker 3: Of niggling it one another genuine disdain for each other, yeah, which is not entertaining fun. No, the only thing I would have liked for this episode is one final scene of margin Homer just acknowledging that they're going to be fine going forward. But also still going to be parenting, because you have. I think the last thing we see from them is them yelling at Bart for what he did with the subway and causing the earthquake and whatnot, and then he hugs him and says, thanks for being mean parent, guys, I love you. And that's the end of it. And you think I wanted to see margin Homer go, well, going forward, we're still going to be best friends. We just gotta work on this together.
Speaker 1: I think we can make that assumption. Yeah, but it takes ten seconds.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there was some sort of filler gag in this episode he could cut out to add that little extra scene and.
Speaker 1: Just another filler gags in the next episode, which is the next one, stealing those bays. It wasn't too bad. It was not good. Okay my favorite.
Speaker 3: Were your favorite moments from this one?
Speaker 1: As I mentioned, I really like the Actually I love the Springfield Tomorrow animation. I like that. I just liked the animation style.
Speaker 3: It was weird for me because I like the style of it. I went, what is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was trying to sort of picture exactly what it's from. I mean, it feels just very sort of nineteen fifties. The future is now. So I mentioned the subway in that they do it, yeah, because they talk about is it subway sam.
Speaker 3: Ah, because you've got so planting of sets of the subway.
Speaker 1: You got the guys they go on a bus or something. You got a bus, then you to stop the guy m yeah, modic Carmel, Yeah, that's right. Yeah, but I just like I love the local Jetsons. Yeah, it felt a little Jetsony also not peanuts like, but certainly that kind of nineteen fifties, nineteen sixty star Yeah, definitely style. Yeah, and it felt very I don't want to go up on a tangent here, but something we've lost as a society in the twenty twenties is the ability to get optimic, to make people optimistic about the future. There's a lot of doomer has been going on right now, and look, maybe someone's warranted. When were we ever optimistic about the future up until the turn of the century, we were.
Speaker 3: Looking back to the future. Look at Terminator, Look at all these pop culture icons. None of them are positive in the future. Brad Blade Runner, fifth Element.
Speaker 1: I think no, I think even in the in the nineties, I mean, there was always a sense that's like, no, things are going to be good.
Speaker 3: I don't know that really got flying cars? What does that mean things are going to be good? Or is that a better technology?
Speaker 1: No? I think there was always always a mind that like, not necessarily the technology was going to make things better, but we are going to keep inventing things and things that are going to benefit humanity. I don't know when when the tide turn was kind of like, well, now the planet is farked, yeah, and now the economy is stuffed and you're not really going to have a job anymore. Computers to do that. You've got some people who were saying, I know the future is actually going to be amazing thanks to AI and things like that. But I don't know. We used to be able to be sold things a bit better and that you se put your head in the sand, not not necessarily that a good story about what might happen would possibly create a bit of optimism and create a bit of sort of forward momentum in that regards like, no, it actually is going to be good. I think I think pessimism creates pessimism. I think optimism creates optimism.
Speaker 3: Well, I think social media started the trend of pessimism that could well be Twitter in particularly you're on Twitter and it is just doom and gloom. And I found myself not always, I found myself spending too much time on Twitter and just being convinced that this is what reality was, and reality. Social media isn't reality, No, it's not at all. It's where everyone goes to vet their frustrations.
Speaker 1: I'm not fine, and that's the case. But I mean, I mean I don't spend well, maybe I do spend a bit of time on Twitter, but I mean I'm you curate your feed, you sort of you curate the people who you're going to listen to, and mentally that can cause a bit of a feedback loop. But I haven't necessarily found a whole lot of like, oh this is fine. I mean, of course occasionally is going to be some, but it depends on Also, I mean, Twitter's got that thing it's.
Speaker 3: Like for you, and so I always have the for you so to follow.
Speaker 1: I know, Yeah, that's a big, big mistake. Something else I enjoyed. There weren't too many in all, honestly, but I did think this gag was pretty funny. When Homer and Marge is sort of finding things to be angry about with one another, something like, it's fine to pee in the shower as long as you're in the shower.
Speaker 3: I'll pay that it. What's your stands on peeing in the shower?
Speaker 1: I for what if you're in the shower, Yeah, there's no problem there. It's all going down the drain.
Speaker 3: What if someone's in there with you?
Speaker 1: Oh? What if it gets to the night.
Speaker 3: I liked in this episode the Itchy is Scratching House MD, Mouse MD, because I thought it was just a very accurate depiction of what House is. We started watching House and I just got to the end of it. It got to a point where I was like, so every episode is just he fucks up, he sucks up, he fucks up, he sucks up, and then has a light bulb moment and cures the person.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much House.
Speaker 3: It was just the music player. I yeah, and we did obviously took my notes for stealing in first Space. It feels like they're going back to itching scratching cartoons again. It's like the writers have realized, Hey, you can pad these episodes out with these things.
Speaker 1: You really can.
Speaker 3: The other one was just like still going right?
Speaker 1: Still, when made a sandwich, when took a leak? Yeah, at a shower, Luis's gone to the toilet and you might step them to the side.
Speaker 3: Would you might leave in the house. I just could get a loud I home. His justification is why he liked crouching tiger hidden. Yeah, it's no line and close to the toilet.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's what you want from from an eatery. Yeah, next question you there eating the paste?
Speaker 3: Trivia time hit me with your first question.
Speaker 1: Sure, how long did bart I have to do his homework project? Three months? Three months?
Speaker 3: You sat thirty seconds ago? Yeah, what's your thoughts on that? I that was my childhood, that was my schooling. I'm doing a last minute Yeah. Yeah, I tend to do that more often than if I had a two thousand word essay. You on a Monday. I didn't start to all maybe Friday night, but Sunday morning, I'm like, right, you have to day.
Speaker 1: You can do this, And I always did. Well, oh yeah, yeah. I think the thing is it called Parkinson's law that I don't know. Look, a task will take as long as you have as the time you devote.
Speaker 3: To it is one of the two observations made by the naval historian Parkinson and fifty five essay Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. Yeah, the number of workers within public administration tends to grow regards of the amount of work to be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I mean it's like I've got five hours to do. It's, oh, then it'll take five hours. The task may actually take five minutes, but it's like I've set as five hours of this. You will inevitably take the five hours. It's like you get it done quickly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's the end of that is though, that is the built in mentality of being an office worker, because you'll have eight hours worth of work to do, and you get paid just as much as if you did it in two hours if you didn't eight So if you finished it in two hours week for six hours, if you do that, right, you learn, well, I do all this eight hours worth of work in two hours, they don't have to do more work. They'll give me more works. I'll drag this out for the full work day. And that's where you just slowly it chipped away and chipped away and chipped away.
Speaker 1: One of the great documents of our time is the movie Big you remember where Yeah, Tom Hanks has got his first job and he's going to work at the toy company and he's like going, It's like, oh okay, I've got to do this, this and this like it's love it's John Lovets's coworkers like slow down. I literally had this experience.
Speaker 3: I've talked about it before where my first day at Ford, I guess set with these old guys to do this job. You can just help these guys out for the day. They'll show the ropes and I'm working and the supervisors like you doing a great job. Keep it up, keep it up. And the supervisor walks off and the guy's just like slow down. I'm like, what is slow down?
Speaker 1: Over time?
Speaker 3: Don't finish it now, drag it out over time.
Speaker 1: The lord like that, like you know, seventy year old Yugoslavin guy've been there for forty years. He's like, I like that. The you do the money.
Speaker 3: It didn't actually say slowly, he just did this and it's all about hand gestures in fomus you couldn't hear. So they had like that set smoke on and things like that. He's doing and want what do you mean he goes slow down over time?
Speaker 1: I like that, like the finger things to taxes that needs to come back, have cash anymore? I know, yeah, just slow down over time, tap good man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you ask me? Yeah, you asked me. What was the what did I have to build the assignment? What was it the first assignment?
Speaker 1: Oh? It was like a Hoope Indian settlement or somethinglo yeah where blo? Yes, you mentioned the Itching Scratchy House cartoon before. In it there's a blackboard with some instructions, medical instructions. One of them is replace heart with what.
Speaker 3: I don't know what was it? It was a spider spider all right. My next question for you is what was the temperature of bart to get out of school? It was in one of three three yeah, and it was thirty nine degrees our temperature celsius. But I did like the bit about go do it at the butt un Lisa said something like, you know, you close you eyes to think of millhouse and then he somehows the temperature up is?
Speaker 1: But how did you do it?
Speaker 3: You don't want to know it's funny.
Speaker 1: I don't think that. I thought that was unfunny really, just that whole closer. I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 3: Closuise, think of Millhouse? You know what that means?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. Because she was shoving off his backside. Yeah, so he's getting sucked by Millhouse.
Speaker 3: She was obviously making a joke in.
Speaker 1: England when someone's getting penetrated. Yeah, that's the joke. Yeah, I don't get what the joke means.
Speaker 3: She was just being smug saying close, think of Millhouse, just because she knows he's faking it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know why he should think of Millhouse? Is he thinking because hill House is putting that inside me? Is because he will in the Millhouse?
Speaker 3: Because he wouldn't want to think of That's the joke, is that he wouldn't want to think of Millhouse in that moment.
Speaker 1: So it's just she's just.
Speaker 3: Being a smart ass.
Speaker 1: I still don't get it. Okay, that's fun. My next and possibly last question you is what are the two squishy flavors at the quickie radical redes? It's something blueberry. I'mo can look at my notes. What is it? Blue blueberry blasts? Blueberry blast? I do like the old literation, and we got slurpies here don't we we do. I drove past seven eleven the other day and.
Speaker 3: I thought, I said sloppies every summer it used to be one dollar slurpies and you'd have the you could fill it up yourself. And the key I mentioned on the podcast, I will say it again in case anyone missed it. The key to filling up a good slurpye or only thing where you're filling up your own drink, right like a frozen ice drink. Yes, don't fill up the cup and then put the lid on. Put the lid on first, the dome on top, shove the thing inside and fill the dome. Don't fill the cup, fill the dome.
Speaker 1: It's in valuable life lessons from Nando. If you get like an extra inches of slurpy, you eat a dome fall. Yeah, that's way better. You gonna sound very ignorant. We still have seven elevens. I mean I know the one.
Speaker 3: That's why I say. I drove past the other day and it said one dollar, the one on the corner out there. I was like, one doors, let's still do one dollor slurpies. Oh, go get one in this economy? What so kind of time oh Yeah, stone Gunna shout out time, starting with the incredible katG with her one hundred dollar support. Thank you so much, Katie for being the numero uno stonecutter here at four Finger Discount. Also shout outs two d following Stonecutters. We have Glen Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shannimacker, Elliott, j O'Neill, Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Dvie, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental Plan, Flood, Bella winder Bank, Jack McFadden, Eith Appleby, Adric McLeod, Mark Trelevan, Ginger, and Pickle Preston, Murray, Tale, Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Shephard, Joe Readenseec, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lang, Damie Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharp, Carter and Craig Alt smash Glossto. Thank you for being top tier supporters here at four Finger Discount, hopefully keeping the lights on for many years to come. All Right, So, the original edit of this episode Postcards from the wedge was March fourteenth, twenty ten. It's not three films at US box office when this episode aired in number three we have She's out of My League?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine. Are you aware of this one? And you know Jay Barroshell, he's the voice of Pickup in the How To Train and Dragon animated movies. Okay, yeah, and he's sort of like, not necessarily a nerdy, weedy guy, but he's sort of, oh, I know the guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's sort of squeintz when he talks a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for some reason, I got the post on my head. We sort of like, he's like.
Speaker 1: What because, yeah, for something, he's working with this woman I think at the airport. She's an actress named Alice Eve, and she is hot, damn good goalie, and for some reason she's got an interest in him, and he's like what. He's also like, she's out of my league. It's very much one of those like the hop Yeah you don't need to see the movie. Poster is the movie? Like what she's like? But you're you're so cute. It's like, okay.
Speaker 3: Out of this discussion with Nicola the other day about the movie posters and I was just like there was this post a pitch going trending on Twitter of like a video store, and it's like, yeah, streaming really ruined everything, didn't it? Can we go back right? And it's like, no, you need to find that balance. Well, it is convenient. But the thing is movie posters now suffer because they don't bother that need to make an effort anymore. No, No, they're just tile yeah that scrolling through and they can change and whenever they feel like it was like when the poster came out, that was the movie's poster. There were there were, there were alternatives, but it's like there's one big post that everyone knows the movie for absolutely.
Speaker 1: Like I said about I'm about marketing for we've lost our ability to sort of market the future. We've certainly lost our ability to market movies. Gosh, when I was a lad, you have your post of that French movie Betty Blue or pulp fiction or train Spotting or something like that, and that would be all over sort of like high schooler and University Daumentary Wars. He's going to have a fucking Avengers end post. But I mean it's it gets the job, kid does I'm sure, But It gets the job done, but it's not exactly art. For want of a better term, and a good poster and a good marketing avan will really sort of get you get your blood pumping. Nowadays, if you want posters, usually you know it's companies like Mondo who will do it after the fact. Yeah, number two, Yeah, but you're right that she's out of my leg post. Okay, Well, I don't need to see the movie now. I'm pretty sure they're going to end up together. It'll be like, guess what I learned to you will lessen about self esteem and all these mates will go like, yeah, we learn a lesson about not judging books by their covers. And then Rodney Danger for Pups and says, hey, everybody, we're all gonna get late you want.
Speaker 3: And yeah.
Speaker 1: So number two was Green's own. Oh yeah, a very different film, very but see if you look at the post of that, I think that she has Matt Damon sort of looking to turn with the guns with a gun, yeah, because it's black Hawk Down, very similar. It is. Yeah, it's sort of a yeah set in the war in Iraq. I think they're yeah, or in Afghanistan or something like that. But it's it. I think it's by the guy who did the Born, the second, second, third Born movies as well. So it's like it's like a Born movie but real it's like it's also boring. And number one was still Alice Wonderland a parably. That movie does really well, like like four or five straight weeks. Number one it made sound like a billion dollars. That's crazy to be it is and it's I've never watched war crime of a movie. Is it is no good? I mean that was one of the I think I walked down to me. I think I hate Tim Burton. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where people started going, oh, can we get we're done with Depp and Burton?
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think maybe Charlie that I'm done.
Speaker 3: I'm fucking done. Yeah, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you stop being.
Speaker 3: Quirky for the sake of quirky. Even people who are quirk you think this is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, but a lot of people liked Alison Wonderland and our girl Anne Hathaway, and it did it? Really his girl? She was the queen, wasn't she. She was one of the queens, one.
Speaker 3: Of the queens. I thought there was only one Queen of Hearts?
Speaker 1: Was she the queen of hearts? I thought Helen the bottom carter was the question?
Speaker 3: I thought, is there more queens in? Maybe it's been a long it was. I watched that and I watched it made movie maybe once when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: It was never my jam.
Speaker 3: Alice in Wonderland.
Speaker 1: It's for girls? Is it for everybody?
Speaker 3: So? The original edit, as we said, March fourteen, twenty ten, production code M A B F zero four, written by Brian Kelly and directed by our man Mark Kirkland. The couch gag is the repeat of the catch gig from Going Make It Gone? Can you remember what it was?
Speaker 1: I cannot?
Speaker 3: Was this the flower plant one were they're like a vegetable? I was at the next one, the Catches of Pinada, and a blind fighter rough hits it and the family falls out. Yes, so that is the end of that one, the repeat and couch gags. I don't scratches in I did this.
Speaker 1: I think I accidentally hit skip intro on that one. I was like, oh, accidentally, I don't skip intros, dude, ed I it's very important not to.
Speaker 3: It's just in a stage. I think I might have I think it doesn't matter in the grand skinny things, but it's like a personal thing to me, going, I know I didn't.
Speaker 1: But in this particular instance, I might have skipped intro. And my apologies to everyone everyone in the world.
Speaker 3: But we have Springfield of tomorrow. The videos we're already discussed Springfields and it sort of have a little button at the end where it's Springfield still great in the future. At the end, missus k though she doesn't know what the point of that was, and I was going, yeah, I don't know the point that was either at least the spring at least the Springfield city on the grow played into our Springfield shit. Now like I had a transition. This is just watching something at school. Okay, well, this will give you an indication that we have a subway.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: But I didn't come out of that thinking that though, And when I got to the subway, I didn't remember that. It wasn't like, oh, that's right, because I mentioned the subway and the intro.
Speaker 1: I say the seed, but the sprout was not exactly flourishing. But yeah, I'm just not a fan of when an episode or any comedy will have like I don't know what the point of that.
Speaker 3: Was, and it's like, you made us watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, if there's no point, why did you make it? This didn't exist before you created it. You could have gone any number of ways with this.
Speaker 3: It's like a comedian getting on stage thing that was a bad joke. So don't tell us, we know, just move on. But she asked here for the for the homework, the hope, I hope the Indian pueblow he said blow. Martin shows off his presentation, talking about how there was an injustice once but at least he gets an A on his report card. That's all that matters. In the end, it felt like everything felt like there was a lot of padding. Yeah, there was a lot of padding. Yeah, thats just what was Bart seing the Twister? So was he hoping that Twister was going to ruin the school? Yeah, knock down the school, okay? Or just be like, oh no twister alert everyone, Everyone leave the classroom. And then it disappears, saved for another day. But then missus Kay is disappointed by Bart's efforts. He's basically, she explains, here, you've broken me down. You know, I used to have a passion for teaching, and now I don't because of you, because you just don't care. She mentions how she watched to Serve with Love as a little girl. Nelson mox her for being old. She says she watched it on VHS in the eighties. He says that's an outdated medium, and I was like, isn't it funny though, how things are starting to be released on VHS again?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and it'll never be it's a nostalgia thing, right, and it's obviously it's a novelty.
Speaker 1: But I like, I just laugh. How the world when it comes to physical media, we're going full circle again? Oh god?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How many times have I said recently? It's like, I mean, I can't believe we're selling vinyl again and we're selling it yeah, I mean not actually not selling it for the cost again, but I mean at this insane these insane prices and.
Speaker 3: It's selling Oh yeah, absolutely, Because I think people are starting to realize there was more to a video store than convenience or necessity. It was the experience. Yeah, a routine original going to a movie is an experience. It's not just I want to watch it on the big screens, Like, no, you go to the movies. You're with your spouse or you're with your kids. You're buying the popcorn. You have the smell, trust the process. Yeah, it's that's and that's what we're buying the violel It's like, oh, it's the process of it's the experience of going to a store, picking up the cover and going I like this, taking it out of the cover, putting it in the play. The kids love putting blue rays in down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. You look on the bank like, wow, I'm learning a bit about this. Wow.
Speaker 3: His audio commentary, Yeah, he's a bit of a blur by Guy.
Speaker 1: Davis from Legelong Advertiser. That actually happened.
Speaker 3: That's the That's the thing that hits me the most is the special features. Right, And I know I sound old, but Nicholas's cousin I won't say a name, but she was like twenty two. I was talking about, Oh, I like this has a commentary a special feature, and she was just like.
Speaker 1: It wasn't ever so much what that was, Like, why would you care about that? It's like they've trained the younger, like why do you care about.
Speaker 3: How the movie's made? It's like to settle because there's yeah like that, And I was like, but don't you want to know you She's like, I don't care how they made the movie. It's like that the young generation don't give a fuck. It's like they don't care that I want special features because they've never had them.
Speaker 1: You know, when it's time to ask for time for us to re educate them.
Speaker 3: Because so many filmmakers, for example, Spielberg and in the seventies, what they would have loved to have had commentaries of films that they love this kids and things like oh sure, yeah, yeah. The whole reason I'm podcasting now is because I listened to the Simpsons commentaries when I was a kid. That's the reason. Of course, special feet just man bring him back. Oh no, we're all for him, Yeah, we are for him, indeed, But this is where but he tries to make his last second and yeah, missus K's just like, yeah, you've breaken me down. And then she writes a note to his parents and she goes to send it, but it's like I can do it. She said, Nope, I'm not going to do that. Not that silly. I wasn't born yesterday. And Nelson's like, hey, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So I was like, everyone's mean to each other. Yes, I'm finding that a lot.
Speaker 3: And it feels like Skinner and missus Kay in particular, the authority figures in Springfield have always been dumb down, right, But Skinner and missus k always had the authority of what the kids knew, that they were the boss. They might pull pranks on skin, but when it came to missus Kay, they didn't backchat.
Speaker 1: Her like this.
Speaker 3: And now it's just so blase a I'm backchatting you and she just cops it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. I mean, there's a difference between sort of the traditional cheekiness between the class clown or the class tear away or whatever and the authority figure. Yeah, you'd get a little bit of backchat, but I mean this is more like we're all co workers in the same office. Like no, you're not no, you are not no at all. What you're going to attention, you're getting suspended, you're getting expelled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're getting spanking or you're getting spanking. But their bart sets off the firearm so that Martin can't get to put the mail in the apparently he's a mail delivery service.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, what the fuck is this? What? What? What are we even doing here?
Speaker 3: But he eventually gets sixth gradst distracted?
Speaker 1: But what even are we doing here? The sixth gradest stuff? I'm sorry, I don't know if you watched this with the captain, you could probably hear what they're saying. Anyway, it's like, oh, sixth graders, and of course they're all a little bit older, so they're saying they're taller, grown up stuff. But you know, you hear one of them say, oh, I haven't then wanted boner. It's like, how did he say that? Yeah, oh yeah, that's ship. It's like, I'm not trying to say, oh, that's inappropriate, but it's just not even quest to Nate. Yeah, the only time unmod Bonus are bunny is when it's in the pans of Jimmy Molmer because Nate.
Speaker 3: But eventually he gets to the delivers the mail. Then Bart like go thinks he's going to the mail shoot but it's actually old ice cream wrappers and really takes the mail away Bizare. Next day, Lisa sees Bart trying to fake his illness to stay home becase he's gonna wait for the letter to be delivered. I'm like, that's a quick delivery service. Yeah, what has this ever happened? Do they ever deliver mail in the mail? Will they just send it home? I trust a kitty at home.
Speaker 1: But it's like we're talking about twenty ten here, right.
Speaker 3: They would never post a letter to your parents in the mail, right, I know.
Speaker 1: I just we're talking about you twenty ten. We all had email addresses. Yeah, why is she writing a letter? I don't know. I don't know anyway, because the story required it.
Speaker 3: So Bart's faking an illness so he can stay home and collect the mail.
Speaker 1: One hundred and three. No school today. Then again, there's only one way to get a truly accurate reading, Bart dance. Just close your eyes and think of mailhouse. Yep, one O three. You're staying home. How did you?
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: And it just gets home. Just reads the mail because it was because Bart's was the thing. Bart gets distracted. He's like, I'm going to focus on the letter box, waiting for it to get delivered, so I can make sure on the first one that gets it gets distracted by video games and TV and everything, and you know I can relate, you know, this is me when I'm trying to I'm trying to edit, and I'm like, I want to see what's happening on Twitter, and it's like, no, put let me just watch one YouTube vide just for three hours. Yes, then this is where Homer finds the letter up and it just it was old in this episode that Homer seemed to be the one that wanted to put his foot down in March.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Again, well that's Bart manipulating March. I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: But it's also, you know, maybe just the writers trying to shake things up. Oh, you didn't expect that Home will be the one who'd want to you know why? I didn't expect because it doesn't suit his character. There is that, But we have had this episode. We have had this story though in the episode when did She Scratch a Movie? When Barn is naughty and Homer puts his foot down and won't let him watch the movie, I think even March or some points like he's sure you should like, no, you asked me to stick to my guns. I'm sticking to my guns. But where he gets caught to the school, I did like that. But but when he finds his letter, and Bart says, look, I tried really hard to make sure you didn't read it. Does that count for anything? A little?
Speaker 3: Then Skinner is showing them all the homework that he's been late for this month, and this is where Marshall goes, that's a lot of homework. It's true, but it's never it's never at this level, especially what is grade four that it seems like the second company. Yeah, March He is just like, oh, it seems like you give my son a lot of work. I feel like what you're doing is you're causing him to not like school because he's got so much homework to do in home. It's like, now I give him more wanted to be Korean? When he's done, then Homer over the dishwasher here. Obviously you live alone, but I've had numerous times I've going to put.
Speaker 1: Something the dish washer and I'm like, oh, it's a cleaner there. What do I do? Yeah? You know what you're doing? That goes you cleaned up one plate and put it in the dish in there what you're washing the sink and yeah, so put that in the cupboard, leave the dishwasher to be emptied by somebody else. The Lovely always has a dishwasher, and I will frequently empty it. But at the same time, I don't like to pack it because something I've discovered is that people get very specific about how you pack the dishwasher. They do. Yeah, So I'm like, I'm sure you have your way of doing this. Anything else I can do to help let me know. I mean, I'll go over and you know, if she's been generous enough to cook me a delightful meal, I'll do the dishes. But I'll generally do it in my hand. No, no, it's flash away. It might be a Davis thing. We find it all very therapy. You've said this before, yeah, Margaret, Mary, God bless he's still doing the dishes by hand at the ripe old age of ninety five.
Speaker 3: I remember Nicholas Stepdad's like that. We had like a lunch and there's like maybe like four plates, not not much, you know, and he fills the secat with his hot watered bubbles and stuff, and I was like a dish washer. He's like, no, I want to clean them. I'm like, yeah, man, it's like two glasses of four plates, like a waste of water.
Speaker 1: Fuck man. He used a whole lot of well maybe his years.
Speaker 3: But the set was like fill out of hot water and bubbles, and I was like, this seems excessive for four plays.
Speaker 1: Well how much? How much the water do you imagine the dishwasher?
Speaker 3: Is he using but washing an entire load? At that point, It's like, would you chuck two shirts two shirts into a washing machine and run do a full run?
Speaker 1: Sure? No, no, I agree to wash them. I han't wash my clothes. I just run around the rain, will the walk away, don't stirring spoon. No, I'm very conscientious when it comes to the washing machine, the clothes washer, like, that's far too few clothes, that's not enough clothing. Yeah, then I'll just roller it and the just to make the dirty throw. I was like, uh, I've already used these tails work twice. Okay, yeah, time for washing.
Speaker 3: What Homer does here, though, is he realizes the dishwasher is clean, so he dirties up everything in the dishwasher again and then turns it on.
Speaker 1: I think I've written down here, man.
Speaker 3: Fuck, really, it was just funny and Marge's and she comes up, and Marge is worried that Bart will be turned off school forever. As a result of all this homework, and Homo sarcastically calls Hollywood about why is he called Hollywood? Oh oh, it's something about oh boy who doesn't want to do homework?
Speaker 1: How original? How original? Let's turn this into a movie. Oh, I got to write the movie. I think I've written. Yeah, I don't know about this mixed messaging about blah blah blah. And then realize, oh, okay, that's the plot point. It's the idea of this episode that yeah, they still have been drivening it. And then Lisa very thoughtfully explains it, doesn't.
Speaker 3: She She does, yes before the bar, it's watching Pokemon instead of studying and then homaged.
Speaker 1: And they say, I do not know Pokemon. Some kids are asking me about this the other day because I was working in something Pokemon related. So do you know anything about Pokemon? I said, Oh, the picachoos and that one right with the Poka and chairs are in there snoll acts turn so I got that snoll axe, like I.
Speaker 3: Just had to watch through blood and bone.
Speaker 1: But don't they say? This was like because I actually say the word digitmon in this. Yeah, but even I'm sort of cluely enough, he goes, I said digitmon, but I'm pretty sure that's Pikatu from Pokemon.
Speaker 3: Digitmon was just a rip off of Pokemon. Oh okay then ye, digitmon means no, it's a digital mongoloid in the what's in the thing, but you would know that it's a digimon digital monsters. It's digital digital, digital mongoloid.
Speaker 1: That's me.
Speaker 3: It's in the title.
Speaker 1: It's what it says on the rare bit digital monsters. I've had, like my justification, it says it an intro, like you would know the intro for digital Dude, I'm the guy who will sing the growing Pink Pain's theme at the top of that. I'm not gonna know the digitmon thing. Yeah, but Pokemon's just Pokemon's gotta catch them more. Yeah, Pokemon's capitalism out. It's fine.
Speaker 3: They're not digital monsters. They're genuine creatures in Pokemon, but digit one they're digital. Okay, the same thing, but they put a cluck in it. I remember the kid that was like, you're either digitmon kid or a Pokemon kid. Okay, my beetles or rolling stone. Let's move on, bar. It's distracted by a Pokemon and but Ham's annoyed by this, so He tries to move the TV, can't, so he draws over the front of it, and Marge says, comes back and whispers, just do a little bit and you can come out some cookies. I was like, Marge, this is not a productive way to do this.
Speaker 1: Why are you doing this? Yes? Exactly.
Speaker 3: Then Lisa is reading the Atlantic Kids Edition, and but why are the parents saying two different things like I don't get it. I'm just saying it's okay, Dad saying it's not. Lisa says, it's like a wedge issue in politics, things like immigration and gay marriage, where they really they might agree on some things, but there's some things particularly the just will never agree on the opposite's on. But things well, I can play them against each to prevent having to do the homework. And he says I would all life on this planet to prevent doing fractions.
Speaker 1: And I was like whatever.
Speaker 3: Then we come out from commercial on bart Sea's Marge. He races back to his room. Oh so much homework, my childhood slipping away. She feels so sorry from She'll just go outside and play. Millhouse is already out there waiting for him with his grapeisoda shaken not stirred so you can open.
Speaker 1: Up and shake it and explode it all over him.
Speaker 3: I found a new joy, you know, having cats. There are so few things in this world. You know, having cats is a burden at the best of times, sometimes right, but sometimes funds that just sort of spook them, just not terrify them.
Speaker 1: Just two things.
Speaker 3: So I've found that you open up a bottle of like PEPSI is it? I walking to the cussionary and its like and just cats scatter.
Speaker 1: To go a line from later in this episode, you're officially associate. I'm glad that the Dando household endorses animal cruelty. No, it does, but I'm not doing anything wrong. Cat's just hilarious. Man, They're smart. There also incredibly stupid, one might say, like human beings. Yes, we're now at the church, which offers free WiFi. During the sermon, Marge and Homer are both trying to pray about you know, God will make the other person see the light yadiad YadA, and they discuss prayer blocks.
Speaker 3: You can't block me. Then we get the itching, scratchy cartoon house mouse m D I.
Speaker 1: Should say, got the massive attack music. The Yes it's tear drop. I believe, is it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very accurate of how an episode of House goes. So I haven't walked in and said, you've gotta stop watching cartoons. You're supposed to be doing your homework. And Marge anyway, Marge is annoyed that he's trying to contradict her over the top, and they're just they're fighting as a result of Bart he's not doing its he's told and they just make angry noise to each other. Then they go to the mall. March suggests that we should eat at the Crouching Tiger Hidden egg roll. Homer agrees with her, and Bart poise good good. We mom lying like like that to make sure that what if you wanted to go there, because there's no be out the end place, it serves no be out.
Speaker 1: Looking at this, it's kind of like, and I've said this many times about many recent episodes, it's a good idea. It's a germ of a good idea. It's like, my parents disagree about this one thing, and I can play them against one another.
Speaker 3: That's why I was disappointed. I didn't need the subway aspect. Can bar do something else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, yeah, that's the idea. Then you work outwards from that, it just feels like it's got so many other little bits and pieces that don't add anything to it, or just feel like I feel like filler. Yeah, a shame.
Speaker 3: But this is where Homer says, you want to go to Moe Express and they fight again. At least it calls him asociopath, and I don't know. At least I'm on a path and they're still fighting before bed.
Speaker 1: I don't mind if you're be in the shower, but only if you're taking a shower. No freedom, I have no freedom around his house. After sex, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 3: Well, then there won't be any sex.
Speaker 2: You can't sex fire me.
Speaker 1: I sex quit.
Speaker 3: Next morning, they're brushing their teeth, still angry with each other, and they're basically you know when you've had a scubb with someone. It's like, I'm just gonna wait it out. She's gonna apologize to me. I hate apologizing. Then Margine goes to chat to Ned. I've never had this, I was apologiz, provides in Ned, and Ned brings up how he had a fight with more just before she passed away about the towels, and she was perhaps this isn't worth it, you know, it's just not worth all the trouble, and then has a dream about running over March was is at work once again. Sleeping at worker saved my marriage. So we cut to back home and Marge's there with Patty and some were talking about what's going on at the moment. They say, stick to her guns, because if you compromise, it won't work, and you never compromise. Eventually you'll be free and happy like us. And they're eating chocolate and smoking cigarettes and clearly just coping coping mechanisms. Yet then they go to see each other. Marge races out of the house, they see each other in the cars. They kiss and makeup, and they explain how we can't let Bart drive us apart because he's the reason we got married in the first place. The Wigan arrives and hugs them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so what what what are we even doing?
Speaker 3: We come back and Marge's cooked breakfast in bed for for Homer. Here your breakfast and bed guy, No me neither. Actually sometimes Nicola.
Speaker 1: Likes toast and bed. But yeah, I've never been a breakfast and make guy, like I mean, you see the traditional kind of like, hey, moment's mother's that you don't really see father's get breakfast in bed all that oftens. Usually it feels like very much a mother's day thing. It's like, Mum, we're surprised you with breakfast in bed, because in traditional gender roles, mum is usually one making breakfast. You're getting a treat.
Speaker 3: If you know what that date gets. It gets mum takes the kids out away and he slips in.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think I might be like Nicola in terms of I won't like get a tray with bacon and eggs. It's like watching your stories with a slice of toast and coffee in bed. That's me. I'll put a bit of music, have some toast and a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: So do you go out and make breakfast and go back to bed? Well, yeah, I've never understood that concept. I understand people making you breakfast in bed, but I would never get out of bed, make some breakfast and then go. Are you one of these people is like I'm up now, Yeah, I'm up. I'd rather sit on the couch in peace. You know, I just don't like the idea going back to bed.
Speaker 1: Now. Any opportunity to lie down, I'll take it. Yeah, fair enough, I feel you. You certainly are stop it.
Speaker 3: But this, as we said, Marge's made have a breakfast of a Homer in bed much better than breakfast in a chair. She then goes to paste his face back into all the family photos. She's apparently cut them all out, but it attempts to annoy him by walking in second.
Speaker 1: I've got all these.
Speaker 3: Fireworks and and be mischievous, and Homer says, you're on your only a kid, We're not going to bother anymore. He's like, what do you mean you don't carry anymore? So he goes to leave. He's a bit confused, and Marge walks in looking bang it hot rose in the cleavage.
Speaker 1: Which Home mistakes for yeah, I got a little Schmitts in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yes. Skinner is now relaxing in his yard with some hummingbirds, and Barton Millhouse shoots some sugar water at him.
Speaker 1: No attacks during outside of school hours. I don't endorse this.
Speaker 3: No, I mean they've been doing it since the beginning of the Simpsons, but I don't endorse it. It's not it's not fair as it. No, he says, legally, I can spank you your bare bottoms here. I'm not at school. I like that because at school I can't do anything outside of school. I can do something.
Speaker 1: The other way around here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the joe. Yeah, so they hide this is some a very patient man. I once waited an hour and a half for a haircut. What's the longest you've waited for something? I think we've asked this question before. For me, it was besides the Force Awakens, where I waited like seven hours in line, it would have been we waited four hours for a ride at Universal Studios. Yeah, not worth it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Maybe our American friends are because there's more of more of them. Yeah, yeah, they're very patient when it comes to queues. I found that when I've gone to theme parks in the US. It's like, wow, the waiting really is the hardest part, right because he'd be standing there for I think if it did anything like four hours, and that was probably like two to and a bit.
Speaker 3: I think my theory was you go there and you go, right, how are we going to be here till we were here for like eight hours, nine hours? Do you want to be spending sixty percent of that standing in a line or do you want to be going pick two or three rides that you really want to go on, and let's go and just experience the park.
Speaker 1: It's good thinking. Yeah. Then then I did get to go on that ride. I was like going to a little later and when I went back the bigger.
Speaker 3: But so they've run away from Skinner. They're hiding now and Milhouse takes them to the old Springfield subway station and they take off in this in a subway or somehow get it going and sprint for it. All shakes, the lu shann Stare, all the chandeliers break, the slushies are going crazy, the radical red and the blueberry blast at the quicking mar there's a town meeting here for the emergency earthquake response meeting. It shakes and it becomes the Emergency quake a Meeting. All the Quakers arrive. So Quaker is like a religion, right, yeah, it's like a religious sector.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw them and thought that they were Mormons. They look like Mormons. No, no, no, no, no, sorry. What's the ones the beard and the hats. That's the Amish Amish Armish Amish. Yeah, Homer and Marge and now knitting together reminds me of watching pictures down there on an old modem.
Speaker 1: I liked this as well.
Speaker 3: So im is doing the mocking the modem sound. I think we've all done that at least one point in our life where we had the nostalgia for the modem sound at the end, because it's just it's so crazy to think that that's what we did every day to get onto the internet. You used to have to get onto it. Oh yeah, I'm offline now, I'm yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm living on the rear.
Speaker 3: And it would be nice if we could still be that way, and you could by putting your phone down. That's true, but it's like we your brain's wired to always be on now.
Speaker 1: The term that's coming up a lot these days is friction. Yeah, you've got to have a little bit of friction, and it feels like you've earned something when you've got it. I mean, yeah, the whole that's friction. It takes you a little while to it's putting the record on the turntable, yes, exactly, as opposed to I don't know exactly why it is, but I can fain it on my phone. It's like that's a really smooth experience and it smooths out your brain as a result.
Speaker 3: Well, your brain no longer thinks to store things anymore with this. Yes, it's like, well, I've got the answers in my pocket, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got Google ub right now, I have.
Speaker 3: Indeed, yes, I win this episode of originally aired.
Speaker 1: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: And I'll remember it.
Speaker 1: No way whimped it.
Speaker 3: But Marge is glad that having a real conversation here, and that's what we're doing. Having dinner the other night, it was like, we're just chatting here. It's not about the kids, not that we don't like the kids. Explain to me, we're just chatting about life, just having a conversation with Nick cos Nicholas working from home full time. Now, we go for walks at lunchtime, were in their phones here.
Speaker 1: Isn't this lovely? Just we're just hanging out, just chatting about whatever.
Speaker 3: Barn's disappointed, though they don't care that the earthquake could have potentially been his fault.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to know if I have anything to do with this mysterious seismic activity of late.
Speaker 1: I'm saving my yelling for where it gets some good. Lisa, you're a wonderful child. But the good work, thanks dad, But you're so loud. He's turning my ears. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I just think that gag would have worked better if she said maybe, for example, she might have been in the room already.
Speaker 1: And he's like, Lisa, you're doing great.
Speaker 3: She goes, Dad, I'm already in the room. But thank you. At least some acknowledgment that your dad's praising you. Yeah, it's like your dad's praising you. Yeah, but you're hurting my ears, Like, oh god, you're.
Speaker 1: Miserable, miserable, or just yell back thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, just make it funny.
Speaker 1: Make her in the room, yes, looking for like thank you, and hey, that's so loud right here, Like just make it a joke or do you just do a little pan And she's like, she's sitting right next to you.
Speaker 3: It's just everyone's miserable. Then Bart and Nelson are on the swings. This doesn't really go anywhere. They're swinging and Bart's explaining how he can't understand why he doesn't feel a rush anymore. He says something is missing, and Nelson says, you haven't really pranked your parents if they don't care, you know, No, one's getting If no one's getting mad, then are you really being bad? And Lisa overhears this. This is why you think that she's the one wo's written the note to double Bart, but she hasn't. Then Willie points out that the tremors could cause the school to come down completely because they've been causing all the cracks in the wall, and Skinner puts up a low bearing poster hop into a book and Bart overhears this, and he thinks, oh, this would be a good excuse to really prank my parents, will prank the town and get my parents angry. And you think he's got a Nelson thought bubble, but it's actually Nelson. Nelson Burdie the window and he's burning textbooks, playing textbooks, so he pushes the smoke out of the way. Margin then finds the letter from what I thought was Lisa, explaining that Bart's subway prank, says we'll have to be good parents for our son and just worked twice as hard on our marriage. We come back from the commercial again, Bart is driving the subway, the school's about to fall down, and really just wants to QUI quickly finish buffing the floor. Then Homer says Homer gets to the subway. He looks in the ladies room and as a sofa there is there a joke I'm missing. I think it's because they're fans.
Speaker 1: I think public bathrooms used to be a little more lushily appointed. I mean, this looks like a very sort of it looks nice in twenties, nineteen thirties kind of thing.
Speaker 3: It's not too late to bring back the Springfield subway. Still, I'm serious about this. I think it's the location you could work with. Sure, But yeah, ladies tours always much cleaner than men's toilets. True, he's a little more lushly appointed men's toilets.
Speaker 1: Oh disgusting.
Speaker 3: Has a toilet at like three quarter time out of a football game?
Speaker 1: Horrific? No, it's seventh circle of all. It's not good. Yep.
Speaker 3: He tries pulling the kill switch.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 3: Then he envisions Bart's neck being the switch, so he's choking him. Works, the school is saved. They unfell the flag, It tips over, hits the school, and it all collapses. Missus Kane Newson then give a high five. There's no why, yeah, why why do they do the high five? But also the school get rebuilt. Next episode is back again? Whatever margin Homer now young at Bart once again, no TV, no this, et cetera. And when you're not insight, you're going to constantly twitter me, even though I have no idea what Twitter is, and I can learn Bart is glad that it's being mean again. Then Bart's doing homework. Can I say, you've got something to say?
Speaker 1: I do? Sim is responsible on one of the great lines about not just modern life but life in general, Like I used to be with it. Now you know whatever it is you scares me.
Speaker 3: Mused to be with it, but now they've changed what it was. Yes, what it is and what's it's weird and scary to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, it will happen to you two. This line, even though I don't know what twitter is and don't want to let that feels like an exam. The writers are surrendering in a way. They've turned into Grandpa's Simpson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they have Sul'm not quite Grandpa, but they've Yeah. They would have been in their thirties twenty years ago, I guess, so earn their fifties now, which is why I think a lot of the jokes work for you. Sometimes I go, I don't get to that, and you're like, no, it's this, and I'm like, ah, I see, because it's a bit like the no there's working for me. But I think the life experience sort of relates more to me. Maybe I'm going through like the having the kids. Yeah, but Bart's doing his homework now. Lisa says she didn't write the note you wanted to get caught, and he misspelled elementary. That's how she realized it was him. And she promises not to say anything, and he says thanks. He puts the Book of Chomper poster on her back. And at the end of that one, it was a nice little ending there and the Family of the Future are over the credits and you're just talking about how you can flush freeze your kids so little. Yeah, that's the end of this one.
Speaker 1: That's the end of Postcards from the Weed.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed this a lot more than the color Yellow, because I feel like this one at least had a purpose.
Speaker 1: As I said, I like the central idea of it. I don't think they explored it as deeply or as cleverly as they could have. Been good gags in there, don't get me wrong, but I was a little bit let down by what do we learn bomb?
Speaker 3: So what you learn from postcards from the wedge, mister Davis?
Speaker 1: But the but what this episode said, there's really no such thing as an unwanted boner.
Speaker 3: I reckon there might be talk to Jimmy about that. PADCS is about Nate. From this day forward, your names will be all right. It's time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship. That currently the board stands at this in first position, we have Philip J. Hawkins on nineteen points, in second position, Nathan Briggs on eleven points, and in third clever Kyle Muldoon on ten points. Take it away, okay.
Speaker 1: One point goes to homer work. Homer work, that would be clever. Kyle is now equal second and eleven points. Well done, Well done, Kyle. Two points goes to atomic Wedgie.
Speaker 3: Dave Rand McNally two points. That now moves him up to ah He's about three points, I believe, yeah, three points one on Dave.
Speaker 1: All those pretzels are moving him up the ladder. And three points goes to two wrongs don't make him bright.
Speaker 3: Two wrongs don't make him right.
Speaker 1: Race Beasley with the three point I think that might be your first three pointer of the season. She is the Beza.
Speaker 3: She's on four points. Now, well done. All right, so the top leaderboard hasn't really changed all that much. Still, Philip Jay in first on nineteen points. We've got clever Kyle and Nathan Briggs now outright oh sorry, joint second on eleven points, and outright third. We have Mike Salter on nine points. Don't forget. You can be a part of the Guy Davis New Name Championship by supporting us on Patreon. If you get your name right out, if any of your names get through, you go into the wild card draw at the end of the month to win a secondary prize.
Speaker 1: Wow, secondary prize. No, No, but second secondary just comes right after first, it does, indeed, all right. Next episode of season twenty one, we shall be reviewing Stealing First Base, which I believe has a goth chick in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exciting time.
Speaker 1: Well, we were like a good goth.
Speaker 3: I think Sarah Silverman does the voice of the character.
Speaker 1: I believe so. But you'll have to tune in to find out. You're tuned in to find out. In all you know, you could check Wikipedia or Google or anything like that. But why do that when you could listen to your pals Dando and Guy.
Speaker 3: Indeed, thank you guys again for obvious support. Don't forget he support us on Patreon for as little as just one dollar per month would have got a long way to keeping the lights on here at four fingure discount and get in touch Mailbag at four figure discount dot com dot You to have your question with it on the next mail Bag episode, but for now, I said that as any final words for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 1: Just close your eyes and think of Dando.
Speaker 3: Sh