Speaker 1: The justice system always aims to correct what is wrong in the world, ensuring those who commit violent crimes are locked up and families who are victimize find the closure they need. However, no matter the regulations, the legislations, and the bureaucratic red tape, there will always be a way to fight back against the system. We are not a perfect world, and to be humanist to error. But in nineteen eighty nine, when a murderer was set free from prison due to overcrowding, the justice system truly failed humanity as they had just set free a monster to roam the streets. This is the story of the notorious Roomstick Killer aka Kenneth mc duff.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Graham Cried podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hell yeah. The following podcast contains graphic content and material intended for a mature audience. Listener discretion advised. So we're live, two hundred episodes later, and here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here we are.
Speaker 1: Okay, we need everyone to give us like a big old cheer or something right now because we're live at Trench Brewing. How's it going. We have our first ever live event and it is it's sold out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty cool. Who would have thought? Hey, I thought.
Speaker 1: I honestly feel a little bit of pressure because I'm pretty sure everyone else who's graaced this stage before is like, oh, I'm going to sing some songs to some cool jokes. We're just like murder. Okay, someone's gonna fucking die.
Speaker 2: That's cool. That part's not cool.
Speaker 1: It's fair enough.
Speaker 2: Fair the true crime you know, fan is cool.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. Okay. One thing I actually didn't ask before the show, and I'm curious about, just by a show of hands, how many people here have actually listened to our show before? And who here got drugged to the show because their wife is really into true crime? Knew that was gonna happen. Feel Yeah, that's actually how we initially got started. Nicole was a true crime person and I was content creator.
Speaker 2: But this was all your idea.
Speaker 1: It was we weren't spending a lot of time together, so we're like, let's spend some time together, and we like this.
Speaker 2: To work while we spend time together.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: All we do.
Speaker 1: Actually fun fact, before we get and Grim actually had another podcast, and my co host that podcast is sitting right there, so yeah, shout out to Mike over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's cool. Good times. So we got quite thesode here today. This is because it's a live event and it is you know, sensitive topics and stuff. I wanted to make sure that we had one that was really well rounded. There is a sexual assault involved, but it's yeah, you're going to be angry, and I really hope I don't get assaulted after this because someone's pissed off at me with how this goes so fingers crossed.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm generally angry usually while you're at the cases and you, I guess both both.
Speaker 1: Usually at me. Yeah, that's that's an ongoing theme consistently, is Nicholls just angry with me? But what are you ready to go through this? Yes, okay, we're ready. So the story of Kenneth Allan McDuff. Though not the friendliest folks in Rosebud, the McDuff family weren't exactly considered the worst of the worst. They were industrious, They were frugal and regular attendees of the Assembly of God Church. One of the family members was that of Kenneth McDuff. He was born March twenty first, nineteen forty six in Row was but a small town in central Texas. His early life was filled with dysfunctional family dynamics in an environment that seemed to foster a lot of criminal tendencies. And Kenneth's father, J. A. McDuff, well, he was sment finisher who earned a good living during the construction boom in the late seventies and the early eighties, so he set up his family pretty well.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: His mother, Addie McDuff, was a domineering figure who ran the household, and she ran it with an absolute iron fist. She managed the family's finances, operated a laundrymat across from their home, and fiercely protected her children, particularly Kenneth. Okay, that don't get me wrong. I have nothing against a protective mother. All the power to you. That's awesome, But in this case I bear exactly the moment bear right. In this case might have been a little bit much in some sense, but you'll get the picture here in a moment. So, despite having a younger sister, Kenneth was considered to be the baby of the family, always well rested, with money lining his pockets whenever he needed it. His mother had that overprotectiveness of him, and it bordered on enabling, as she often defended Kenneth against any accusations or disciplinary actions. Now, whether he was in wrong or not from either school or the community, she was there to back him up without hesitation. Teachers and locals referred to her as the pistol packing Mama because she regularly carried a gun on her hip with her aggressive defense against her son.
Speaker 2: Okay, honestly, I actually thought it was kind of a cool nickname. I want that it is.
Speaker 1: A cool nickname, But I mean, I can't imagine just going to a regular PTA meeting with you know, just like a nine iron on your hip or something that's pretty aggressive.
Speaker 2: It's a bit aggressive.
Speaker 1: Yah, it's a bit munch and it sounds like that's the kind of person she was, So pistol packing Mama was something that was going around town quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Kenneth was raised in an environment where he was never really held accountable for his actions. There's lack of discipline and the boundaries allowed him to really develop a sense of entitlement and quite frankly, in vulnerability as well. Now, perhaps it was because of all this, or maybe he was just you know this way to the core when he was born, but from a young age he displayed some troubling behaviors. He bullied his classmates, intimidated teachers, and reveled in causing absolute chaos. Despite this outward confidence, Kenneth struggled academically, possessing a below average IQ of ninety two. Now what really brings up a red flag to me, though, is that he made a point of flaunting his poor academic performances, turning his failures into a source of dark pride instead of something else a little bit less desirable. He's like, yeah, I suck at math. Fuck you like that sort of attitude, right, I mean, good on you for being confident, But at a certain point it's not something to really throw in someone else's face. But that's really what he was doing.
Speaker 2: So he's like insulting people for being like.
Speaker 1: Good at maths exactly exactly the whole like you know, oh you or a nerds sort of thing. I'm better than you because I'm not good at these things. Like I get the I'm a cool guy aspect, but it only goes so far.
Speaker 2: Well, once he's stay in school, it doesn't go far at all.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah, when you get into adult life, that sort of stuff catches up with you real fast. Eventually you'll end up, like, I don't know, hosting a podcast or something.
Speaker 2: What the.
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Now, as a teenager, Kenneth began engaging in more serious criminal activities. His only close friend was his older brother Lonnie, nicknamed and I love this nickname, rough tough Lonnie McDuff. Yeah, he was the family troublemaker.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Clearly this this town had some had an affinity for nicknames, because they're laying it out there. And now, for example, though, regarding Lonnie, he once pulled a knife on a school principle. That principle was DL Mayo. Now, I mean that on itself sounds like a really scary situation, but funny enough, this principle didn't take no shit. He was not a pushover, and he promptly threw Lonnie down a set of stairs.
Speaker 2: So, oh, man, I mean that wouldn't fly nowadays. No, No, it really wouldn't.
Speaker 1: So Lonnie encouraged Kenneth's resentment towards society, reinforcing the notion that the world was actually against him. And I think that really builds up in the fact that he was, you know, terrible at things like academically, and he's all like, you know, I'm better than you because I'm bad at these and then saying, you know, the world is against you. Societal standards are you have to do good in school and he's like, yeah, the world is against me because I'm different. I'm bad at school, like that sort of stuff, you know. So it was really reinforced, especially when it came to his older brother. Now by his late teens, Kenneth was breaking into buildings and engaging in petty theft. At seventeen, in nineteen sixty four, he confided in Lonnie that he had actually raped a woman and left her for dead.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what a winner, ain't Yeah.
Speaker 1: No shit, And this is the first time that we really get into actual violence with him. Now. As it turns out, though this story, as far as his brother just thought it was, it was actually true and not just the words of someone trying to act tough. Kenneth had raped a woman, cut her throat, and left her for dead in a ditch. Good lord, But the woman survived the attack. Okay, she survived the brutal assault and later actually gave birth to his daughter as a result of the assaults.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yes, it's brutal. That's some brutal shit.
Speaker 1: Now that daughter would going to be named Teresa. His crime went unreported at the time, which allowed him to avoid immediate consequences. Teresa didn't know who her dad was, probably good. Probably she grew up not knowing him until she was twenty one years old, which is eventually later, several decades later, when they discovered that he had actually assaulted this woman. But she got to know her dad a little bit. She got to know the man behind the name Kenneth McDuff, and eventually, once she really got to know him, she fled the state.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she knew what was up there with him, she did. Oh that's brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, this guy, I mean at the time when she actually met him and got to know him, is much later after some of his crimes that we do. But it's just kind of set in that bar for what kind of guy this is? His first act was something like this, and his daughter, after that many years finally.
Speaker 2: Seeks him out, wants nothing to do with that.
Speaker 1: Gone. What she did, well, she learned when she learned who he was. Yeah, she was out not having.
Speaker 2: Him fair enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, in nineteen sixty five, Kenneth was convicted of multiple burglaries and was sentenced to a total of fifty two years in prison as a result. However, due to the concurrent sentencing at his age, he was released on parole in less than ten months.
Speaker 2: Came he had fifty two years, Yes.
Speaker 1: Fifty two years and he had ten months.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Totally right, Yeah, that checks out. Holy shit. So Kenneth underwent a subtle but lethal transformation as a result of his ten month short prison sentence. He believed he had gotten away with murder, and he was hardened by the brief and lenient prison terms and developed an exaggerated sense of invulnerability the one that he already had going in As.
Speaker 2: A result, totally yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, no longer a boy, Kenneth had grown into a six foot three inch tall, two hundred plus pound man. The size made him a really imposing figure. Although prison hadn't taught Nneth how to make friends, it had actually showed him how to attract smaller and weaker individuals who he could intimidate and manipulate to be alongside him.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it actually made him much worse.
Speaker 1: It made him worse as a result. Yeah, okay, and it's only over the course of ten months. So now, one such unfortunate companion was that of Roy Dale Green. Now, Roy was a younger boy who lived with his mother in Marlin and worked for Kenneth's father. Two years younger than Kenneth, Roy was captivated by Kenneth's tailor of sadistic sexual acts, such as what he had done as a result of his daughter Teresa yours earlier, Kenneth boasted of raping and strangling multiple women. To quote him, in fact, killing a woman's like killing a chicken. They both squawk, serious, fuckingly, that's fucked up.
Speaker 2: That's real. Fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were talking because we had chickens. We were talking about chickens earlier, and I was like, yeah, there's something to do with chickens in this episode. That's what I was alluding to.
Speaker 2: That wasn't really what I imagine. How did you guess that? Holy shit, this guy is a real piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, full on douche kinem for sure. So Roy was never really sure if you could believe the stories that Kenneth was telling though, that is, until the evening of August sixth, nineteen sixty six. It was a Saturday, and Kenneth was itching to prowl. He and Roy had spent the morning pouring concrete a construction site in Temple. After work, they cleaned up and headed for Fort Worth and the new Dodge Charger Kenneth's mom had just boughttom upon his release from prison.
Speaker 2: A gift, A little gift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, oh, you're free from prison. Here's a brand new Dodge Charger. Holy shit, I said he was the baby money lining his pockets.
Speaker 2: Huh, It's true, Okay.
Speaker 1: Roy, who was eighteen at the time, had never been to Fort Worth, m Kenneth, having worked there four years earlier, claiming to knew some girls in the area. So they went cruising through the small town of Everman, just south of Fort Worth, drinking beer, visiting friends, including a girl Kenneth knew from church. Later that evening, after dropping the girl off at home, Kenneth found what he was looking for, what he really went to the town for. He found a pretty teenage girl in a red and white striped blouse and cut off jeans standing near a baseball field talking to two boys in a nineteen fifty five Ford car. Purely by chance, Kenneth selected these three as his victims. They were sixteen year old Edna Sullivan, her boyfriend, seventeen year old Robert Brand and Robert's cousin, fifteen year old Mark Dunham. Now they were just chilling out, and Mark the cousin was visiting from California. Roy Dale watched with a mix of curiosity and horror as Kenneth approached them and pulled out his thirty eight caliber pistol from under his car seat and pointed it directly at the teenagers. Things escalated fast immediately. He held them at gunpoint and demanded the boy's wallets. Then he forced all three of them into the trunk of the car, locking them inside, and to quote him, they got a good look at my face. I'll have to kill him.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, okay.
Speaker 1: They then drove off with the kids in the car, all stuffed in that trunk, and Kenneth took them down a dark and narrow dirt road, while roy followed in the dodge closely behind, still not entirely convinced Kenneth was really gonna do anything. Harmful to these kids. Up until now, it's just been stored.
Speaker 2: He's just observing this king.
Speaker 1: He's going along with Kenneth. Like Kenneth is really, like they said, from prison, he's learn how to manipulate people to really be as like, I don't know, sidekick if you will, right, And he did that to Roy. So Roy's like, eh, you know, like we hang out, you tell me stories, we have good time. I'm close to you. We're doing this thing. Are we really doing this thing? I guess we're doing this thing? Is it actually gonna like he didn't really know. He was just going with whatever Kenneth said, because that's how they operated.
Speaker 2: Okay, that just seems so wild, hey, like make your own choices. Yeah, fair enough, don't kill three people fair enough.
Speaker 1: Now. Eventually they turned off onto a road and ended up in a field where they stopped. Kenneth opened the trunk and pulled Edna Sullivan out by her arm and instructed Roy to lock the other two boys back in the trunk of the dodge, which he did. The boys, as they're being locked in the trunk literally began begging for their lives, begging to be set free. But they're pleased, though fell on deaf ears as Kenneth raised the gun, pointing it directly at the boys and shot them both in the face.
Speaker 2: Just like that, Eh, just like that.
Speaker 1: He shot Brand twice and done him three times, then lifted done and again by the hair and shot him one more time for good measure. Roy was horrified when he saw the gun being fired with the kids and covered his ears and looked away, but not before witnessing the look of joy on Kenneth's face.
Speaker 2: Oh man, so he was like really enjoying.
Speaker 1: Oh he was full on it, like sadistically enjoying this. He knew what he was going to be doing, and he probably knew that Roy didn't believe him, and doing it probably made it even more like enjoyable for him the moment.
Speaker 2: I can't even fathom that, Like, I just can't that you would just like like just take two people's lives, like no big deal and it was nothing for him. Yeah, then he enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: So. Now unable to close the trunk with the two deceased kids inside, Kenneth chose to back the ford up against a fence. He and Roy then drove away in the dodge, leaving the terrified, Edna Sullivan still walked from the trunk of that car. They headed south, crossed over the Johnson County line, and eventually he came to a stop at a dirt road approximately eleven miles from where they left the boys. Kenneth forced Edna out of the trunk and made her undress at gunpoint. He then threw in the backseat of the car and began to rape her. Afterwards, he made Roy do the same, and then after that he took a turn again too.
Speaker 2: Okay, after that, I thought you're going to say they killed her, but well, they're just prolonging this.
Speaker 1: We're getting there, okay. So after enduring this horrible trauma for a while, Edna was then taken via the car to had another location and was told to sit in the middle of a dirt road. As she walked along that dirt road to the spot where she was told to sit, without any other choice, she just did what she was told. So with Kenneth's large frame and body weight, he then climbed on top of her and began choking her with a broomstick, pressing it right against her throat, and then Roy's own words quote he mashed down hard, and as she was kicking and trying to defend herself from the attack, trying to survive, Kenneth instructed Roy to hold her legs down and from there Kenneth crushed her throat until Edna stopped moving.
Speaker 2: Okay, good god, I thought you were picking like a chill true crime case. This is not fucking chill.
Speaker 1: It's relatively it's not chill. It's just not super graphic.
Speaker 2: But I'm like sweating, this is quite intense.
Speaker 1: Have some more of your drink. I'm good.
Speaker 2: So now the broomstick Killer is born.
Speaker 1: That's how the broomstick Killer is born. And honestly, this is the only time he uses a broomstick. It was just like the one off that was like people are like, oh my god, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: And yeah, wow, that poor girl.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine the horror that went through her mind in that moment. So, without a care in the world, and with what he had just done, Kenneth threw her body over a fence and then headed back to the two or sorry, and then the two men headed back home the night left with Roy being completely traumatized with what just happened. He followed Kenneth did exactly what he was told, but never wanted to be a part of any of it. He never really believed Kenneth was capable of this. All those stories he just thought were exactly that, just stories. But he was wrong. The next afternoon, while you know, taking a Sunday drive with some more friends, the news of the killings came on the radio in the car, and instantly Roy became overwhelmed and he blurted out the entire story to his friends in the car, crying, oh my god, I've got to tell someone.
Speaker 2: Really, So he just couldn't keep that in whatsoever.
Speaker 1: He did not want to be any part of it. He was forced to be a part of it in one way, and at.
Speaker 2: Some point I feel like he could have maybe backed out.
Speaker 1: Now maybe. I mean, Kenneth's a big dude, and he also had a gun, and there's a lot of things to go as far as what people can do with manipulation. Kenneth knew what he was doing. Okay, I'm not saying Roy is without fault. He took part, he raped her, trust me, he's a piece of shit too, But he didn't want to really, at least go that far, at the very least so anyways, he had become the prosecution's star witness against Kenneth within the trial. Roy would go on to serve five years for his role in the crimes and return to Marlin, where he still lives today. As for Kenneth, his mother hired a lawyer from Waco and attended the trial with her daughters. Kenneth of course denied any involvement in the killings, suggesting that Roy was the actual real culprit, claiming that the Falls County sheriff also had a vendetta against him for years. He's completely innocent.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I mean that doesn't even surprise me.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think generally people like that do just like not me. Yeah. So the court was, of course not buying his bullshit. In the face of the overwhelming evidence and testimony from Roy Green. Sorry Roy Green, Kenneth was given the death penalty in nineteen sixty seven. As we all know, many people who are given the death penalty, he can sit on death row for years, and Kenneth was no exception. Twice in nineteen sixty nine and again in April of nineteen seventy, Kenneth came within days of his execution date only to have been pushed back each time. While he was rotting behind bars, the landmark case of Firma versus Georgia was making its way through the courts. Now, this was a Supreme Court case in nineteen seventy two that had a profound impact on the death penalty itself within the United States. From this case, a Supreme Court ruled that the power given to the juries in capital trials in an ability to sway the decision towards the death penalty amounted to cruel and unusual punishment, effectively overturning all capital convictions within the country at the time, including Kenneth's. Within months, the death sentence of all total of eighty eight inmates on Texas Death Row, including Kenneth, were instead changed to life in prison. Now, generally, after trials, convictions, sentencing, all that sort of stuff, it's usually the end of the episode, right, and we've been recording for how long is it slready twenty three minutes?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: There's not much of a story really to be told after that, to be honest, However, in this case, we're just getting started because a lot more, trust me, happens in this case.
Speaker 2: Okay, I honestly thought this was like the already the second part.
Speaker 1: No, that's basically the first half.
Speaker 2: He kind of already got away with a bunch of shit he did. Okay, God, I don't I don't understand on people like this. Okay, this person should be in jail and then they just get to go and recommit and ruin other people's lives.
Speaker 1: Did I not tell you you'd be angry with the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was earlier today too when we recorded our Patreon episode myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a similar situation.
Speaker 2: So calm theme here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Kenneth was transferred to the Ramsey Unit and assigned to work in the fields, a placement for inmates requiring the strictest of supervision. He was considered to be extremely dangerous in a high escape risk, so a watchful eye was always on him. In nineteen seventy seven, Addie McDuff hired a new attorney, and Kenneth's new representation, Gary Jackson, embarked on a long and costly mission to prove Kenneth had actually been framed, arguing that the true killer was in fact Roy Green. During his six years on death row, in seventeen years in the general prison population. Kenneth wasn't exactly a model prisoner, but he managed to avoid significant trouble along the way. He knew how to play the roles in prison and always seemed to put himself in a high societal position within the whole prison system behind bars, being able to manipulate people. He was like. He was very good with that manipulation and that manipulation tactic we often see in psychopaths and true statistic serial killers. It's a very prominent attribute that they all have. It would be in nineteen eighty when Kenneth's name came forward to the parole board. Kenneth tried to bribe his way out to freedom, but was unsuccessful. The bribery led to a third conviction, giving the jury the option to sentence him to life once again, which ultimately would have delayed his parole date until nineteen ninety two. However, with the assistance of his lawyer Gary Jackson, he got off scott free from that bribery. Then in nineteen eighty nine, despite being aware of his criminal history, Kenneth was set free on parole.
Speaker 2: Serious man who.
Speaker 1: Was on death yeah, is just like out and about Yeah. He wasn't the only one though, either. Eighty percent of parole applications were being accepted at this time due to overcrowding in Texas prison facilities. Eighty fucking percent.
Speaker 2: That is crazy. They were letting monsters walk like you would not want to be in Texas at that point.
Speaker 1: No, I guess that's why everyone carries a fucking gun down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so wow.
Speaker 1: So as a result, they just let this man back into the public and and it was a man that was not going to change his ways now. In fact, they even had a second chance. Not even a year later, in nineteen ninety, Kenneth was charged with making a terroristic threat as he yelled racial slurs at a group of young colored men. He even chased one of them down with a knife in his hands. Yeah, it was enough to revoke his parole entirely and return him to prison for the rest of his life. But again he was given the chance at freedom, and on December sixth, nineteen ninety, Kenneth McDuff was once again released to the public. Yeah, this is an ongoing thing. It almost seems like some of these people just have like luck or something. I don't know if it's luck I honestly think it's just a fault in the system. I really do. I think that there's people out there who are just not doing their fucking job.
Speaker 2: I guess. But also Karlos wills to be a bitch, And how do these people just keep getting like free?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Something bad has to happen him.
Speaker 1: It does. But we just covered a case recently on j. C. Dugard and she someone held captive in a backyard shed for eighteen years. Parole officers searched that person's house multiple times. FBI TOOI yeah, but they never went into the backyard and never found jac. They only searched the house. That's negligence so close, and I think in this case is negligence as well. So the authorities in the area of Waco knew that Kenneth was going to strike again and he was going to do something horrible. He was unfortunate, but there was nothing they could do but wait since he was out officially and legally. Sheriff Larry Pamplin said, quote, the most frustrating part is that we knew he was going to kill someone, We just didn't know when or where.
Speaker 2: Who said that?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Sheriff Larry Pamplin.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, no, they just know. Yeah, Okay, holy shit, that is so disturbing.
Speaker 1: I know that's a failure of the system through through.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Initially, Kenneth moved frequently, going from place to place such as Temple Rockdale, Cameron Bellmead, Tyler, Dallas, et cetera, typically staying close to his mother or one of his sisters, often with no visible means of income, but still driving nice new cars and spending a lot of money frivolously comes from mummy and daddy's money.
Speaker 2: I'm spurs. Mummy and Daddy are still supporting him, especially since he's like, yeah, he was on death row, he's a convicted fellow. Yeah, like he's a terrible person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, hey, parents love. We don't have kids. I don't understand that. We got dogs. I do anything for our dogs. How's that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're pretty. They're cute though, and dogs are better than people.
Speaker 1: I know that one came from DEMI.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: His random movements made it nearly impossible for Sheriff Pamplin and the mcnamaras, who were also other investigators on the case, to link him to any crimes. That they suspected him of committing. In the spring of nineteen ninety one, Kenneth actually enrolled in Texas State Technical Call in Waco and moved into the dormitories on Canvas. And whether his real intentions were to actually educate himself or not, it's a bit unclear, but the results are still the same.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. You see he's living in a dorm.
Speaker 1: He's living in a dorm.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is that's really not okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, at this time, living in this dorm, several Waco area sex workers were going missing. One incident involved a woman named Regina Moore, who was seen kicking and screaming in the cab of Kenneth's red pickup truck as it passed through a police checkpoint. Although the police questioned him several days later, nothing came of it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, Like he was going through like a roadblocking yep, and this person was like scared for the life and they just like go through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just went through. Yeah, there's a police blockade. He has a woman kicking and screaming for her life in his vehicle and he just drives through. This guy would just.
Speaker 2: Get away with anything.
Speaker 1: Many pretty much. So he was getting away That's my next line. Literally he was getting away with everything, with everything. Yeah, he was getting away with beating up and nearly blinding a fellow student and threatening threatening several others with being reported to the police. Sorry, that line doesn't make any sense. He was beating up people. Okay, that's basically what I was getting out in that sentence. So by day he was an asshole of a student and by night he was a drug crazed prowler. Nobody still an asshole, yeah, just extra asshole, a super asshole. Yes, it's like Batman, but asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, late on the evening of March first, nineteen ninety two, Kenneth parked his tan Thunderbird at the New Road Inn just south of Waco before he vanished that same night, less than a block away. Twenty two year old and Melissa Northrop was working the nice Ship night shift at Quickpack, which is a convenience store. Her body was found weeks later, bound and floating in a gravel pit in Dallas County, near where her car had been abandoned as well. Her body was in bad shape and indicated that she had suffered greatly before she had died. Kenneth took her from the store, forced her into her vehicle, and drove away, leaving no immediate trace of her whereabouts. A few weeks after she was a few weeks after she disappeared, police discovered her badly decomposed body. But they also discovered the badly decomposed body of Valencia k Joshua, who was a sex worker who was last seen on the campus of the college that Kenneth was attending, and at the time she was searching for Kenneth's room.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, And meanwhile, this guy is still supposed to be in jail. Oh yeah, yeah, Like, well, actually you shouldn't be alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was days away from death row. Yeah yep. So in a shallow grave and wooded area behind the college is where she was found. So given Kenneth's history, authorities knew they had to act swiftly. Luckily, they were already keeping a close watch on him, knowing he was going to hurt someone. Kenneth had recently sold drugs to an informant, which gave authorities an opening. They charged him with possession of firearms and distribution of drugs and officially made him a federal fugitive. He was on the run, and a manhunt was officially on.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, here, I thought that we were just getting started with more crimes. To be honest, Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is the man hunt at this point. So there's a lot of things that are going down. We have two bodies that have recently been found. Kenneth can't technically be pinned to either of them yet. They just found in the vicinity and where he kind of was, so they need him for questioning. But now with him actually selling drugs to an informant, they can pin an actual case on them. What's the sorry case? What's the word I'm looking for crime? Crime? Yeah, he's a federal fugure fugitive. They can pin a crime on him. This is a true crime podcast, and I forgot the word crime. That's the word. Yeah, thank you, that's okay, you're doing that. I appreciate that. Now. The search was intense, and the search was extremely grueling, with Loman pulling a total of sorry, sometimes up to eighteen hour shifts at a time without any days off, often sleeping on the floor of the Marshal's office in the Waco office. Gradually they began piecing to Genneth together Kenneth's trail, So like, this is.
Speaker 2: A guy that gives a shit, Like he's like trying here, yes, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: There are detectives who are on his tail, who are trying to catch him. Who do you give a shit? It's like the judicial system. It's like the courts that just keep letting them go.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and it's probably keeping them up at night, like the detectives because they like essentially you said the one sheriff was like just waiting for him to kill his next victim. Oh, that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, and I just said that these guys are hunting down. They're pulling eighteen hour chefs without days off, sleeping on the office floor, not even going home.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: I'm sure many of them ended up getting divorces or were separated from their spouses as a result.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just like ruining more and more people's lives that not aren't necessary victims, but like other people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So these dedicated individuals assembled a very dedicated task force in Waco, which included local police, Texas Rangers, FBI, the DEA, and the Bureau of Alcohol tobacco and firearms, with significant support from the US Marshall Service as well. They were getting pretty much militant at this point. Thankfully, due to the persistent effort of these law enforcement individuals, strategic use of media, relentless tracking with his associates, with his associates that they knew, and gathering vital information about his whereabouts, they began to make some serious progress tracking him down. One of his associates in specific, specifically by the name of Alva Hank Warley, even confessed to Kenneth's involvement in the abduction and murder of a woman by the name of Colleen Reid. It seemed that four days after Christmas, Alva had ridden with Kenneth to Austin to go find themselves some drugs because hey, why not, right, That's when Kenneth spotted her. Colleen Reid was washing her black Mesa in a car washing bay on Fifth Street. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time, just as Edna Sullivan was in nineteen sixty six, like just washing her car, just washing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, but that is one thing that I do where I don't have fear, and now I have fear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck washing your car next time. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: So Kenneth parked his car in the adjacent bay, so watch out with the adjacent bay next time you want her.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm not going to be able to do this.
Speaker 1: Okay, go through the touchless ones next week. You can lock your door.
Speaker 2: I know because I like going to this very once. But this isn't going to be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not anymore. No, no, So Kenneth parked his car next to her, and he attacked Colleen, grabbing her by the throat and lifting her up off the ground so her toes barely touched anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Honestly, now, I'm just thinking that would be so easy to do, like to go in just a car wash and like steal someone.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go a tack someone.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm not, but I can't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: I'm SayMore.
Speaker 2: No this the car washes. You took that away from me.
Speaker 1: Now again, what's your body count?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, twenty?
Speaker 1: Just kidding. If I go missing after tonight, guys.
Speaker 2: Honestly, you go missing, I don't think anyone will think it's me.
Speaker 1: Just kidding. Not after tonight, anyways, we digress. Kenneth parked his car and the adjacent bay attacked her, and his size gave him a huge advantage over her, and he quickly threw in the back seat of his with Vaccine's car with Alva, and they both drove off. A few miles out of Austin, Kenneth pulled over and swapped places with Alvin. I'm sorry, Alva, and while Alva now drove along the I thirty five, Kenneth stripped Colleen nude, put out a cigarette between her legs, and began raping her as well. When they stopped again to change places. As Kenneth drove, he told Alva to do the same.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The car turned off the interstate to Texas Highway number three one seven you Kenna's parents' house. They stopped on a narrow dirt road. Kenneth ripped Colleen once again, and once he was done, she was taken out of the vehicle. She stumbled to her feet. She put her head on Alva's shoulder and pleaded, quote, please don't let him hurt me anymore. Kenneth shoved her into the trunk of his car and slammed it shut they drove off again and Alva was dropped off at home and he asked Kenneth, what do you intended to do to Colleen, to which he said, quote, I'm going to use her up and drove off.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's definitely gonna kill her for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please believe. Kenneth buried Colleen in a field a few hundred yards from his parents' house. Unfortunately, her body was not found for a long time. It wouldn't be until nearly seven years later when her remains were positively identified in October of nineteen ninety eight. The discovery came after authorities received a tip from an informant which led them to a shallow grave near the Brazo River in Falls, Alas. Statement regarding this and what happened to Colleen was released to the media and brought national attention to the search for the monster known as Kenneth McDuck. But the biggest break in the case came when it actually was aired on America's Most Wanted on May one, nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: I love America's Most Wanted.
Speaker 1: That's a good shit, right, Oh yeah, So this exposure actually guarnered a significant number of public tips, including one specific one from a viewer in Kansas City, Missouri, who recognized Kenneth as a man who was working as a garbage truck laborer under the alias of Fowler.
Speaker 2: Really okay.
Speaker 1: Acting on this tip, Kansas City police quickly located him at a city dump where he worked, and, upon realizing that he was now surrounded, Kenneth surrendered without a struggle. They had him. I can see your gears turning you good.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm just like so intrigued that he went into be like a garbage person.
Speaker 1: Ye that I guess mummy's money ran out. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but or he probably thought that he could hide that way right, like he wouldn't be seen or noticed.
Speaker 1: Really, maybe he really took that hide in plane sight to like a literal term. Yeah, yeah, probably. Yeah. So, after Kenneth McDuff was arrested, he was charged with abduction, rape, and murder of Colleen Reed, Melissa Northrop, and Valencia K. Joshua. Authorities believed he was responsible for as many of nine different murders committed after his parole in nineteen eighty nine, but were only able to charge him with the three.
Speaker 2: But nine people that could have been saved to nine people that we know of.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The trial took place in nineteen ninety three and the prosecution presented a very strong case against Kenneth, including the testimony of Alva Hank Warley, who detailed the events of Colleen Reid, the abduction and murder, physical evidence including DNA and witness statements. With all of the overwhelming evidence presented to the prosecution, it left the room for no doubt and the jury were able to quickly make their verdict. They found Kenneth McDuff guilty of capital murder of Colleen Reid, guilty of the capital murder of Valencia K. Joshua, and guilty of the kidnapping and murder of Colleen Reed, all three cases which were actually done separately in the court. Considering the heinous nature of the crimes Kenneth had committed and the violent history that he had actually possessed, Kenneth was for a second time sentenced to death. To death second time.
Speaker 2: Okay, did it happen or about now?
Speaker 1: I want to hear you do you think it happened? No, you don't think it happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I'm like almost ninety nine percent sure, But.
Speaker 1: There's that one percent that says maybe I guess, but I'm almost one hundred percent sure. Oh yeah, okay, ninety nine percent to one hundred somewhere with him there, gotcha. Now, his legal team filed numerous appeals attempting to overturn this death sentence, but we're ultimately unsuccessful.
Speaker 2: Why would anyone want to, Like, he just needs to be in there.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine being a defense attorney for this piece of shit. I excuse my language, but he is well, I mean it's like.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, much's job, right, and they're making money, and I get it, But yeah, that would be definitely tough because you know that he's such a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your name's probably got to be carled if you're going to be a defense attorney most likely. Yeah, do people get that? Some people, I'm sure to.
Speaker 2: Okay, someone was wearing a not cool car or ult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are somewhere, any I don't know where they are, but they're somewhere.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know where they are either.
Speaker 1: So November seventeenth, nineteen ninety eight, Kenneth McDuff finally met the consequences of his actions, and he was executed by lethal injection at the Hunts Unit in Huntsville, Texas. Like legitimately he was put to death.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yea, this is so nice. I always want to cheer at that, but I feel like I can't. So then all these people pend out for us, and that's so good.
Speaker 1: I know. We kind of want to play Devil's advocates sometimes and like we understand some people aren't aren't for the death penalty and stuff, so we kind of like try not to cheer at those moments. So thank you for doing all behalf of us.
Speaker 2: Well, No, if I do cheer at those moments, someone will literally send us an email tell me that.
Speaker 1: We've gotten hate emails for that before. Trust me. So this marked the end of a criminal career, one that had spanned decades and claimed numerous lives, and with his execution, the world had rid itself of one absolute big douche canoe, one that got off death role onto parole, did the same shit again, yeah, and was convicted and put back onto death row.
Speaker 2: I think it almost just makes you feel sick. I know that he had that opportunity to do that again. I know, I'm real.
Speaker 1: That is the story of the Broomstick Killer, also known as Kenneth Alan Nick Duff.
Speaker 2: Who no longer exists in this world.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, thankfully. Okay. So there's something we always do at the end of an episode. I'm sure a lot of you are very aware. Nicole is a lot better at it than me. But we always say stay wicked at the end. Yes we do. We want you guys to be a part of it, please, So we're gonna do a three two one countdown, and we're all going to make sure that everyone listening to this episode does, in fact stay wicked. So you guys ready for it.
Speaker 2: Keep But we're just gonna say stay Wicked. We're not going to like extend the stay just stay wick.
Speaker 1: Just stay wicked, stay away. Okay. So how many whys? One?
Speaker 2: Just one?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm not like that one teachher we have where Yeah, okay, one we stay Okay, give them the countdown, you go for it.
Speaker 2: So three two one, Stay Wicked.