Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App as Amy Kay.
Speaker 3: It is five o'clock, straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Wednesday, October twenty third.
Speaker 3: Good morning, I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and pretty soon we're going to be live and out of this world.
Speaker 3: Big day for wake up Call. We're super excited.
Speaker 1: We're connecting to the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: Actually we're already.
Speaker 1: Connected by zoom to the Johnson Space Center in Houston, and we're going to be talking to our friend Nick Haig.
Speaker 3: You may remember him. We've talked to him several times.
Speaker 1: He is a Space Force guardian and a NASA astronaut and it's Colonel Nick Haig who is up on the International Space Station and we've got to talk to him several times as he was doing his training and leading up to it and learning about.
Speaker 3: The space station.
Speaker 1: And we get to talk to him live from space at the bottom of the hour. Very exciting. So let's get going with everything going on, because there's a lot going on. So here's what's ahead on wake up Call. The Dodgers plan to pay tribute to legendary pitcher Fernando Valenzuela before Game one of the World Series. It starts Friday night at Dodgers Stadium. Valenzuela died yesterday at the age of sixty three. La Metro will be unveiling a new pilot program designed to keep writers safer at bus and train stations. Officials are going to show off the system at Union Station. It detects concealed weapons. It comes a day after a man was stabbed at a Metro station in downtown La The technology is only being tested it out at Union Station for now. The La Times has decided not to endorse a presidential candidate for the first time since two thousand and four. The paper's owner didn't say why. The Trump campaign says the La Times decision is a humiliating blow to Vice President Harris. You know, I watched her interview on NBC because with less than two weeks away, everybody's out there just crisscrossing the key battleground states and trying to earn those last votes. And Harris did a couple of interviews today. One was on NBC, and so I thought, I'm going to watch that because we're still, you know, wanting to know more about her and who she is and what kind of president she might be. They played four minutes. Really at five twenty, we're going to be talking with KTLA tech reporter Rich DeMuro about a new tool that can take control of your computer.
Speaker 3: Okay, that scares me.
Speaker 1: Also, Google is taking steps to protect you from scams. We've got Jim Ryan coming up in just a couple of minutes. Next time you hail a taxi, you might have to look up. And speaking of looking up, if you look way up and out of this world, you may catch a glimpse of the International Space Station. And as I mentioned, our friend's Base Force Guardian Colonel Nick Hague is up there. We're going to be talking with him live from the space station. Coming up at the bottom of the hour at six oh five, it's handle on the news. McDonald's is not loving this. An E Coli outbreak in ten states tied to quarter pounders. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Legendary Dodgers pitcher Fernando Valenzuela has died at a hospital in La. The team made the announcement yesterday on X just days before the Dodgers play in the World Series. Baseball Commissioner Rob manfred says Valenzuela will be honored during the series at Dodgers Stadium. The cause of Valenzuela's death was not released. The Mexican pitcher won the National League Psy Young Award and Rookie of the Year in nineteen eighty one when he helped the Dodgers win the World Series and inspired Fernando Mania.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: It is the most puzzling, wonderful, rewarding thing I think we've seen in baseball in many, many years.
Speaker 1: That's announcer Vince Scully. Valenzuela left his job on the Dodgers Spanish language TV broadcast last month without explanation, and was reported to have been in the hospital earlier this month. Fernando Valenzuela was sixty three. Ironically, a mural of Fernando Valenzuela is going up in Boyle Heights. The muralist, Robert Vargas, started painting the Fernando Mania Forever mural just yesterday and said he hopes to complete it by November first, which would have been Valenzuela's birthday. Vargas also painted the sho hey Otani mural on the side of the Mianco Hotel in Little Tokyo, LA County. DA George Gascon says he'll have an announcement soon on a possible re sentencing of the Menendez brothers. Their lawyers have been pushing for a re sentencing based on what they say is new evidence supporting their brother's claims of sexual and physical abuse by their father. Gascone says his office has been working on a response to the defense arguments.
Speaker 6: Ten days ago. I said I would make a decision within ten days or so. I planned to have a decision by the end.
Speaker 2: Of this week.
Speaker 1: Lyle and Eric Mendez were sentenced to life in prison for the murder of their parents in nineteen eighty nine. OC supervisor Andrew Doe has resigned and will forfeit two properties and more than two point four million dollars as part of a bribery plea deal.
Speaker 7: The scheme essentially functioned like Robin Hood in reverse.
Speaker 5: US attorney Martinez Trada says Doe stole COVID relief money meant to feed the poor and gave it to himself.
Speaker 7: Mister Doe publicly touted the meals program as a benefit to his constituents. He was featured in video saying that the organization was providing twenty seven hundred meals per week to the needy.
Speaker 4: That was not true, he said yesterday.
Speaker 5: Up the nine point three million dollars dough directed to a nonprofit, just a bit more than one point three million dollars actually went to feeding seniors at the Federal Courthouse in Orange County, cor Ben Carson k if I knew.
Speaker 1: I just want to let you know that you might have heard the buzzers in the background. Nick gave us a heads up yesterday that they were going to be testing fire alarms in his building. I hope it doesn't drive you crazy this morning, Nick, look up in the sky. It's a bird.
Speaker 3: It's a plane. It's a taxi. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Good morning, Jim.
Speaker 8: Yeah, air taxis they're coming. They cleared for takeoff. Essentially, the FAA has taken the next logistical step in this whole thing. Amy I've been I'm on page sixty four of the eight hundred and eighty page document the FAA released this week the rules regulations how this will compare these air taxis to previous aircrafts. So the issuance of this document really opens the floodgates to the companies that have been designing and building and hope to produce these small aircraft in the next few years they'd be used. Essentially, let's say you wanted to get from t Mecula to lax Well in a few years from now. You'll pull out your phone and you'll have an app, something like the uber app or the lift app. You'll punch that and you can hail a ride on an air taxi. A small tilt rotor aircraft will fly out to your location wherever that might be, or a designated landing zone. You'll climb on board, flying over to lax There you.
Speaker 1: Go wow, but it doesn't sound or maybe it will eventually like drop down onto the street in front of your house or like more designated you're going to have to go to a landing space.
Speaker 8: That's a great question that the FAA is looking at that, and it's at least in the beginning, is going to designate locations sort of like you know helipads. But again, I mean you've seen helicopters land in unusual locations, and technically this aircraft could do the same thing and probably fit into a smaller space because these aircraft generally are smaller than a standard helicopter. And so yeah, I mean, initially you probably would go to a designated unlike or go to that designated spot. You'll be picked up and then taken over to the airport and presumably have easy access into the field if you're cleared through security before you get on.
Speaker 1: Okay, and do we know how many people the taxis are going to.
Speaker 8: Carry depends on the company that's building it and what they've designed into it. Most of these carry three passengers with a pilot, maybe four to six passengers. They'll be fairly small. And if you remember, if you've seen the V twenty two Osprey, the tilt rotor aircraft that the Marines have adopted, built by Bell Helicopter Textron, this is much like that, except much much smaller and infinitely quieter than any helicopter or airplane flying right now.
Speaker 3: And what about luggage. If you're going to lax and it only fits three people.
Speaker 8: There you go. I mean, they've got to design this thing with those things in mind with the luggage capabilities, they're weight requirements. I was just now looking at some of the weight requirements the car or the potential payload that these things could carry depending upon their size. So I mean the FAA, this eight hundred and eighty page document lays out a lot of that stuff. Of course, much of it refers to other FAA documents related to training, for example, so you know, at the point where it says pilot training, Yes, pilots will be trained initially by the company that manufactured the aircraft, and then it says, see the helicopter pilot provisions of far whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, okay, and do we have any idea like how much it's going to cost.
Speaker 8: You mean, I mean the aircraft themselves are going to be you know, these are these are million dollar aircraft, But in terms of how much it might cost you to book the thing, I don't think they've gotten that far ahead yet. I mean, they've been busy dealing with the FAA and dealing with the engineering of these these but I mean, I'm told that it'll be similar to the cost of a an Uber Black. So let's say you wanted to fly.
Speaker 9: From really to LaGuardia.
Speaker 3: That's not bad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not sure what the uber, but I guess that's top of the line uber, right, that may be a limousine or something, so it be similar to the price of renting a limousine from midtown Manhattan out to LaGuardia.
Speaker 3: Okay, and I miss this if you mentioned it.
Speaker 1: Do we have any idea when they might actually have something to roll out?
Speaker 8: Well, this is really the first government stell. I mean, this is a comprehensive set of rules implemented by the FAA. So with this in hand, those designers, those companies that have been working on these things have a blueprint now, at least a regulatory blueprint to go on. And so I had to expect these things within the the next couple of years. But they're already under development. They're flying at least in a test bed capacity. I've been looking at videos from the various companies that make them, and they're very cool.
Speaker 1: And do we know where they might first try to roll them out? I'm thinking of like if they put it into a city like I would think that like Dallas would be a better choice than San Francisco, just because it's flat.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's a good idea. I mean, because it's flat. That's a good point there. In visibility and the visual requirements of these things are something to take into account. Yeah, maybe someplace like a Dallas Fort Worth, maybe someplace. You know, maybe it'll be John Wayne and carrying passengers from somewhere in a less congested area than LA. But you know, it's going to be baby steps essentially, but they're gonna be baby steps taken fairly quickly.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I just can't help but think of the Jetsons. Thank you, Jim Ryan, appreciate it. All right, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A candidate for the Fullerton City Council is going to stay on the ballot even though he's not allowed to take office if he wins. The Orange County DA's office is Scott Markowitz is ineligible because he falsely claimed he witnessed thirty people signing his nomination papers. Marco Wwitz pleaded guilty this week to false affidavits and was sentenced to one day time served plus community service. The man arrested for allegedly beating a valet at Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood is homeless.
Speaker 10: Ory and Gray allegedly committed a series of unprovoked attacks before beating the valet.
Speaker 4: They ranged from a battery to assaulted deadly weapon.
Speaker 10: LA County Sheriff's Detective Brandon zef says Great punch the valet in the face and allegedly stomped on the valet's head as he was unconscious. The valets spent three weeks in the hospital following the attack.
Speaker 4: In September.
Speaker 10: Deputy spotted and arrested Gray and West Hollywood last week. Gray has a prior record that includes property crimes and indecent exposure in West Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Blake Trolley KFI News.
Speaker 1: LAPD officers have arrested Demand for a series of armed robberies at food trucks in seven eleven stores in the San Fernando Valley. The robberies happened last month in the Mission area Van Nuys in North Hollywood. Billy Say detectives got a search warrant for the alleged robbers home and found clothes he had worn during the crimes. A car allegedly linked to the robberies was impounded. Two people convicted of murder in La seventeen years ago, so may be freed from prison.
Speaker 9: Lombardo Plasios was fifteen years old and Charlotte Playtez was twenty and pregnant when they were arrested for killing a gang member on Sunset Boulevard in two thousand and seven. LA County District Attorney George Gascon says he believes they're innocent and is asked that they be released.
Speaker 6: The evidence that we presented to the court overwhelming supports their conclusion.
Speaker 9: Gascone says the pair was convicted after being badgered by interrogators, but that the actual killer may have now been identified. A judge will hear the petition next week in downtown La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A production company behind the movie Blade Runner twenty twenty forty nine, has sued Tesla, claiming that Elon Musk's company fed images from the movie into an artificial intelligence image generator to create unlicensed promotional materials for its Robotaxi. The company says it doesn't want the movie associated with Tesla because of what it calls Musk's extreme political and social views. Okay, we're just about fifteen minutes away from hooking up with the International Space Station, so we hope you'll stick around for that. And when we come back, we're talking tech with the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. Rich to muro Chat. GPT's main competitor has a new function. It can take controller of your computer. Rich is going to tell us whether that's a good thing or not. We're going to be talking to NASA Astronaut Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick Haig live on the International Space Station in just about between ten and fifteen minutes. We're hooking up with the Johnson Space Center and we're excited to talk to our friend Colonel Nick Hag in just a few minutes. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Walmart's going to pay more than seven million dollars to resolve allegations that it illegally dumped waste in California landfills. The settlement comes after the California Attorney General said dozens of audits found thousands of containers of toxic aerosols and liquid wastes, including spray paints, bleach, and medical waste. UCLA has been sued for violating First Amendment rights during a pro Palestinian protest. More than two hundred people were arrested for not leaving the camp they set up on campus in April. The lawsuit claims the university and uce regions unlawfully caused the arrests of students and faculty engaged in nonviolent protest. LA Dodgers star Slugger show Hey Otani's historic fifty to fifty ball has sold at auction for four million, three hundred and ninety two thousand dollars. It's the highest price paid for any sports ball sold in history. Otani hit the ball for a home run in Miami last month, becoming the first player in Major League history to hit fifty home runs and steal fifty bases in the same season. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. John Kelly has a warning about former President Trump. Bill's going to tell you all about that.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to the host of rich On Tech KTLA Tech reporter Rich Stimuro.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Rich, Hey, Good morning to you.
Speaker 5: Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you send a rather ominous tease to us today that chat GPT's biggest competitor can now take control of your PC.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is just where AI is going. So Claude, which is the AI that I love to use. It's really good. It's chat gbt's biggest competitor. They have announced a feature where it can now control desktop applications through a new computer use API. So this is in beta, but you can program if you're smart and you know what you're doing. You can program the AI to control your mouse, type on your keyboard, click things. It can browse the web. It can interact with any website or application. But yeah, this is pretty wild to me because if you are smart and you're sort of a programmer. Of course right now, later on anyone't be able to do this. You can literally make this AI do things on your computer that is just wild to me.
Speaker 4: So the example they give is like.
Speaker 11: Booking a flight, or you know, there's just so many things that you can think of that you might let this thing do. But want it's out in the public, people will see what they do with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So basically you tell it what to do and then it just does it.
Speaker 3: Like you'll say, computer, please book me a flight.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that's so the idea here is that this is in beta. They don't know what people are going to do with this, and so they're just gonna let this out into the world and see, obviously there are some safeguards that they told people. They said, look, you know, we won't do social media postings, we won't interact with government websites, we won't access sensitive data on your computer unless you give us permission.
Speaker 4: But given that, you know exactly.
Speaker 11: But again, this is a test to see what people do with this, because their reasoning is that in the future there's gonna be a lot more of this, so we'd rather have this in a controlled, safer method of use before everyone in the world has access to this and they use it for you know, obviously evil purposes.
Speaker 1: Okay, what if you have a shopaholic a and it just starts ordering stuff off Amazon for you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, look, the possibilities are endless with this kind of thing, and that's the beauty of putting this out into the world is that we will see what people do with it. You might run a small business and there's just one little simple thing you do every single morning that you can now automate. Or you may have a work at home job and now you can do something else where it downloads a file every morning, and it summarizes it for you. I mean, there's so many possibilities that are beyond just like you doing what you do on your computer. You can have this sort of AI agent do this for you. And we're going to hear a lot more about these in the future, believe me.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this could be cool, but I could see where it could be.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know, I just think of you said work at home, and it made me think of when we were working at home, not at this job, at another job that I had where all the salespeople had to report in every day and basically say this is everything that I did and these are the people that it contacted, and this is what I worked on and blah blah blah. You could just tell your AI just hey, make up a schedule for me and you oh absolutely yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, look, there's gonna be there's gonna be positive benefits to this and negative benefits. And some people will use it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: Look, when people are working from home, they have those mouse jigglers, you know that made it look like their computer was being used all day long.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, I never heard of that. Oh yeah, this is like a known thing. Oh I told you I'm not techy.
Speaker 11: If you work from home, literally people go on Amazon, look up mouse jiggler. It just literally moves your mouth all day long so that you're you know, monitoring software from your work says. Oh, this person's working all day.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's technically available now, and like you said, really techy people can use it, and then do we have any idea when it might roll out for dummies like.
Speaker 11: Me, Uh, it's gonna be a while. It looks like it's you know, this is very early stage, so I mean, it still struggles with scrolling and zooming, so you know, I think we're still we still got the leg up here, but we'll see. I mean, I just think of one thing of like those bots. You know, we already have the problem with bots with tickets, so I'm just wondering if this is going to make it even worse when anyone can just program this to like buy the tailor Swift tickets in advance or something.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, oh wow, yeah, or get into a Disney queue or yeah. Okay, Google's texting app is now going to protect you from scams and from nudes.
Speaker 11: Now, this I thought was actually pretty good because a lot of people we talked to a couple of weeks ago about how they're switching over. Most of the Android devices are now using Google Messages. We're getting so many scam text messages these days, so now they're going to have on device machine learning AI that will scan your messages and basically figure out if they're a scam. So the two they're starting with our package delivery scams and job scams. So when it senses those coming in, it will just throw those into the spam box. That's the first thing. It's also going to give you sensitive content warning, so if you try to send a nude image, it'll say, hey, you know the repercussions of.
Speaker 3: This, don't do that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and it also will blur them if you receive one. Now, for adults, this is opt in. If you're using your phone under eighteen, you have to opt out, which means this will be enabled by default. So again just kind of protecting people, giving them that one extra layer because the nude image exchange apparently is pretty big these days.
Speaker 4: Let's see what else.
Speaker 11: Improved link protection, so this will warn you when there's a link from an unknown sender. It will block suspicious links. And already, by the way, Google says they are protecting two billion messages every month, so they're like blocking two billion suspicious messages every single month.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so and you guys have probably dealt with this too. You get something saying, hey, the USPS is holding your package. Click this link if you want to get it released. Not the USPS, but sometimes these look real, Like I get something from PayPal. It's not from PayPal, but it sure looks like it could be from PayPal.
Speaker 3: So this is.
Speaker 1: Going to flag those kinds of things, yes, And I think cool.
Speaker 11: What I always say that the scammers do is they take a real message, like let's say you have Chase Bank and they're like, hey, did you just make a transaction at Target for you know, seventeen dollars. Those are real messages that banks send out, like those fraud alerts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So what the scammers do is they take that and they twist it a little bit and they basically emulate that, and so you think, you're you know, you've seen that before, and so you interact with it and you're like, oh, wait a second, I just logged in with my social and my password, so hopefully this stuff will become more automated. It's almost like email spam protection now but in text.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good news. We like that, okay. And then here's something else that I like.
Speaker 1: There's Canva, which is a video editing program that I know a number of.
Speaker 3: People around here use it.
Speaker 1: I haven't tackled it yet, but it's going to let you add Disney to your designs.
Speaker 11: Yeah. I love Canva. Love love love Canvas. So it does image editing, video editing, whatever you want. It's basically I don't know if you remember this name back in the day, but like print shop, like, it's basically an online you know, you just design whatever you want, whether it's a social media posts, whether it's a poster, a document, whatever. And so they've added some Disney designs inside so you can use like legitimate Disney characters and things inside Canva, which is pretty cool. I looked at the last night. They have like little invitations and things that use the Disney characters. And yes, you can always drag and drop a Disney character that you find from outside, you know, Canva into your program. But these are officials so they look real and they're also licensed so that when you print these things out. It looks better and it's you know, you're just on the up and up, especially if you're using these things for I think it's just personal use but in education, but I think there's some professional use cases here too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you want more information on the things that we've been talking about, you can go too Rich's website which is rich on Tech dot TV, And of course you can listen to Rich as he talked about this and lots more that has to do with the tech universe on Rich on Tech Saturday from eleven to two right here on KFI.
Speaker 3: You can follow him at rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: And you can see him of course on KTLA because he is t KTLA's tech reporter, Rich Demiro, thank you so much.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Amy.
Speaker 3: Have a great day you too. Okay.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we are going out of this world, connecting with Space Force Guardian NASA astronaut commander of the Crew nine mission to the International Space Station, Colonel Nick Haig. We'll be talking to him live from the International Space Station in just moments. Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom as those final prefers preparations are underway. The Dodgers are mourning the loss of one of the most iconic players in team history, just two days before the start of the Dodgers Yankees World Series, pitcher and broadcaster Fernando Valenzuela, whose phenomenal start to the nineteen eighty one season ignited Fernando Mania so sad he died yesterday. Fernando val Swaler was sixty three. Andrew Doe has resigned as Orange County's District one supervisor. The announcement yesterday came after Doe agreed to plead guilty to federal corruption charges for funneling COVID relief money into a nonprofit agency where his daughter served as an executive. An investigation showed Orange County gave the nonprofit more than thirteen million dollars before his daughter bought a million dollar home in Testin. More than two million votes have already been cast in California. With less than two weeks before election day, County elections officials started sending vote by mail ballots to registered voters over two weeks ago. Voters who didn't register by Monday's deadline, you're not out of luck. You can still cast your provisional ballot on election day. Okay, we're getting ready to connect to the International Space Station. We've been talking to Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick Hag for months now, and now we get to talk to him live on the International Space Station.
Speaker 4: Are you ready for the event, Houston? I am ready for the event.
Speaker 1: Excellent KFI radio.
Speaker 3: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 4: Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 3: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 4: Amy? This is Nick and I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 3: Oh right, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Nick Haig, Colonel Nick Haig, Space Force Guardian, NASA astronaut, live from the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: We are thrilled to talk to you this morning.
Speaker 4: It's awesome to be able to connect with you again. I've loved kind of periodically checking with you leading up to getting up here, and now I'm here, so floating in space, and I.
Speaker 1: Love this because we actually can see you. And just so you know, we're going to put this out on our social media and our website and everything after it's done, and I believe it's also on NASA Plus now. But Nick, I want to go back just a little bit because the last time we talked, you were doing your final training, and then we were supposed to talk to you as you got closer to launch time. But then everything changed because you all had to make accommodations to bring Sonny and Butch home as they as we know, they went up in June on the Starliner and weren't able to come back on that. So your mission changed, and during that time you got a promotion, and now you're the commander of your mission. So I'd love to go back to launch day as a lot of my friends and I were watching on Earth and watching you launch from Cape Canaveral and I said, hey, our friend Colonel Nick Haig is right there on that rocket. So there's a couple. First, you're a mission commander for the first time. Congratulations. You're the first Space Force guardian to head to the International Space Station and even the lawn location was a first. Can you tell us about that? What was different about this one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for the first time on Space Launch Complex forty, which is on the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station side of the launch complex there at Kennedy Space Center and the Space Force side, we launched humans into space and so we now have that capability from two different launch pads to launch people to the International Space Station using our US providers. But yeah, you point out a lot of interesting interesting First, I think the thing that is constant and all of that is change. And really, you know, life for everybody is full of change and surprise. And if you had asked me when we first were talking six months ago, if it was just going to end up being Alex and I launching up here to create room to have Butcher and Sonny join our crew and do our mission up here, I would have never expected to have that. But the ability to do that is really the strength of our training program and the strength of the professional astronaut and cosmonaut core is we adapt to what life throws at us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I remember during our earlier conversations you kept saying, we do this plan, and then we plan for the things to fail and fall apart so we can come up with contingencies. And it's just on our end. It seems like you guys have taken care of this seamlessly. Can we go back to the launch for just a second. Do you remember, as you're sitting there strapped to a rocket, as you have said, being getting ready to be hurled into space as you're counting down to zero. What goes through your mind? And what does it feel like when liftoff starts.
Speaker 4: It's when you're sitting there, You're full of all kinds of emotions. And I think the emotions have gradually changed for me over the course of my launches. The you know, the first launch, you really don't know what to expect, and so five years ago that was a lot of adrenaline, a lot of a lot of anticipation, a lot of nervousness, not wanting to make a mistake, and to be perfect in the moment. As I've progressed, you know too, this is the third launch now. I think the difference this time is is I kept thinking about all the people that make it possible. You know, you sit there on the launch pad for about two and a half hours before you ever launch, and there's not much to do, so you think a lot. And I kept thinking about all the people that make it possible for us to do this type of mission, you know, and that's that, you know, the NASA teams that prepare us, the SpaceX teams that prepare us, the Space Station program itself, our international partners, there's so many there, but you know, it was even more special sitting on Launch Complex at forty there on the Space Force Station, because I felt even more connected to that other part of this gigantic team that makes it possible. And that's the you know, the Space Force guardians around the globe that do some fundamental things that make it possible for us to operate up here, like GPS and you know, debris avoidance and making sure that we stay safe and nothing runs into us while we're orbiting the Earth. So it just it really makes you feel connected. And that was the difference this time around.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about life on the space station, Colonel Haig. First of all, how many of you are now up there on the space station. I just saw one of your fellow astronauts go floating by behind you.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So currently, right now, we have eleven people on the space station, and today is kind of an exciting day. Crew eight is preparing to undock, so four of our crewmates are getting ready to hop into their capsule and return to Earth and splash down on Friday. So there's a buzz of anticipation and excitement. I'm happy for them to be able to get back to their families. It's also it's also an exciting time because it's turning over another chapter, another crew handover. You know, they're passing the baton to us, if you will, and that baton passing has been happening continuously for two and a half decades. And their floats matted, screaming by getting ready to go up into his dragon and continue packing and getting ready to leave.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that brings us back to where you were planning for contingencies, because we got a note from NASA yesterday even saying, hey, we're set to go, but things might change because Crew eight is getting ready to head home and so we might have to delay.
Speaker 3: But luckily we didn't have to.
Speaker 1: When we get to talk to you today, so I want to ask you some like silly things. One, what time is it on the space station?
Speaker 4: So we use Greenwich time, So it's currently twelve forty two, okay.
Speaker 1: And we were wondering about like oxygen and water because we know that you have to have resupply missions to bring you food and supplies and stuff. Do they have to bring air up there? Do you somebody just went over your head? Do you have to recycle air. Do you recycle water? How does that work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's a fairly closed loop system, meaning we have to recycle everything. And currently if we focus on water, the station is operating about ninety eight percent of the ability to recycle the water that we use. And so even right now, there's air conditioners that are scrubbing this air and as we perspire moisture, they're condensing that, putting it back into a system that purifies it so we can drink it. And so we're able to recover ninety eight percent of the water that we consume, which is important because water is really dense, it's really heavy, and things that are heavy or expensive to launch. It'll be even more important when we start having a sustained presence on the Moon to be able to recycle without having to resupply and use our resources that are in place already.
Speaker 3: So you kind of have an endless supply now that it's there.
Speaker 4: It's pretty endless, but we still rely on cargo vehicles every month or two to bring up some supplies to resupply us. One of the things that we are working on but we haven't figured out yet is how do we grow all the food that we need so that we don't have to resupply with food. Currently, we resupply all of our food from the ground, and so we rely on those transport vehicles to bring us up food every couple months to make sure we've got enough to eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So is that some of the experiments that you're working on is growing things on the space station?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: While I'm up here, we're going to conduct roughly two hundred different experiments, and several of those are focused on how do we grow things in space? How do we grow leafy greens that are fairly easy to grow without having to grow and consume without having to process them too much. We're in the infancy of figuring out how to do that in space, and it's going to be critical going forward that we figure out how to do that in mass.
Speaker 1: So it's not quite like Matt Damon on Mars just yet, but you're getting there.
Speaker 3: If you're just joining us.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick hag live on the International Space Station and Colonel Haig, I wanted to ask you a couple of questions about living together on the space station, because you said there's eleven of you a couple are going home very quickly. But do you guys just kind of grab and go or like for meals, do you sit down and have dinners together?
Speaker 3: How does that work?
Speaker 4: So our workday is roughly seven thirty in the morning till seven thirty in the evening before the workday starts, and after the workday starts, or when we have breakfast and dinner, and those meals tend to be more communal. We all will gather around in the galley. You can see in the back behind me there's a table back there. That's where our food warmers at. That's where our little refrigerators are at. So we gathering there and just enjoy each other's company while we have breakfast and dinner. Lunch can be a little hit and miss because the day is pretty regimented up here and everybody has a list of assigned activities and we're trying to get them all done, and so lunch basically is a grab and go type mentality.
Speaker 1: Okay, and is there let's be honest, is the food good on the space station or is it not so great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the food is great up here. There's plenty of it, and there's a variety of flavors. You know, this morning I was able to have some coffee with cream and sugar. I had some citrus fruit salad, some strawberries, oatmeal with blueberries in it, and a vegetable kish That's what I had this morning. It's delicious, no complaints.
Speaker 3: Sounds better than the breakfast that I'm having. Okay.
Speaker 1: So we had talked earlier that you had been training for spacewalks and you were doing it in that big old pool and it was very much like life in space except for the bubbles that you see in the pool. Have you had a chance to go on a spacewalk since you got to the space station?
Speaker 4: So far, no spacewalks.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: We are planning to do a couple spacewalks later in our expedition. The timing of those depends on a lot of different factors. You were talking about how we might have to adjust real time today just for the undocking of Crewate. There are a series of major events between now and when we would do the spacewalks that will drive the final timing. But I look forward to going out the hatch when the opportunity presents itself.
Speaker 1: And here's another question for you, Colonel Hag. Does everybody get to do a spacewalk or do you guys have to do like rock paper scissors to see who gets to go out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's more like rock paper scissors. Unfortunately, there's not enough spacewalk. I wish. I wish everybody could go out and experience a spacewalk. Sometimes there's an expedition where there's no work that needs to be done on the outside. Spacewalks are a dangerous activity, a risky activity that we take, and so we only go out when we have to. And so the things that compel us to go out there are to fix things that are broken, to kind of maintain our laboratory. The other things we go out to do are put science in place, or to repair science experiments or increase the capabilities of the station. So we don't go out all the time, but when we do, we sure try to enjoy it all.
Speaker 1: Right again, if you're just joining us, we're talking to Space Force Guardian Colonel Nick Haig, who is also a NASA astronaut, just happens to be buzzing around the Earth at about seventeen thousand miles an hour on the International Space Station. Colonel hag how many sunrises and sunsets do you get in a day?
Speaker 4: Roughly sixteen, so about every forty five minutes. If you float over to the Kupola windows, you're going to see a sunrise or a sunset.
Speaker 1: And what's your so far you've been up there for a few weeks. Now, what's your favorite thing about being on the International Space Station.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of things that you really enjoy, so it's tough for me to say this is my favorite thing. Going over and watching the Earth glide by is unbelievable. In ten minutes, we can go all the way from Washington State, all the way down to the tip of the you know, the Florida Peninsula and Key West and see the entire US glide by, and you can look down with your naked eye and you can see the city city, roads and buildings, and it feels so close, even though you know you're two hundred and fifty miles away. Uh, that's it's just it's all inspiring to have that perspective. But you know, when you come back inside, it's you know, it's it's fun to be able to do tricks and flips and be upside down and what she's doing right now, continue to talk and and and so that never gets old. We have our own little competition of you know, who can do as many flips without wrecking into something or transit the lab in the most dynamic way. But I think the singular most favorite thing I like doing up here is doing things with with other humans. You know, that shared experience of whether we're we're competing in and doing zero G gymnastics or whether we're both looking out the window. That shared experience makes it even more special.
Speaker 1: Okay, then another quick question. We're running out of time, so I got to try to get a couple in there. But you were just doing some flips and we were talking, and I've been thinking about zero gravity, and I was like, well, what does it feel like if you're upside down in space?
Speaker 3: Do you even know if you're upside down?
Speaker 4: If I close my eyes and I flip upside down, I can't tell I'm upside down. So the only way we can decide which ways up and which ways down is visually, and for the most part, it really doesn't make any difference. Inside the station, we use every surface, so this lab is covered with wires, and it's covered with sunny just passed underneath me. It's covered with experiments on each side, and computers and cameras, and so we tend to not touch anything, just these blue handrails that I end up grabbing on. So it's up down makes no difference.
Speaker 1: Well, you are up there, and we are so excited to be able to talk to you, Colonel Nick Haig. We know you got to go because you've got experiments to do and you've got to help some people pack to get home. It has been an absolute pleasure to talk to you on the International Space Station.
Speaker 4: Parting words, Yeah, Amy, I just want to say thank you for you know, talking with me over the past six to I think almost eight months now and helping me share this experience. Space flight and the human exploration of space is so important. It's so life changing, and anybody that has the dream of getting involved with it, I urged them to just chase that passion. There is room for everyone as we explore deeper into space.
Speaker 1: Thank you again, Colonel Nick Haig, live from the International Space Station. Ooh, and we did it just when we were supposed to. We had at five point fifty two and it's five point fifty two and he is off and doing his thing.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a treat.
Speaker 1: And you know, we've talked to him a few times, and in fact, if you want to go back and listen to some of those interviews, they're still up on our website at KFIAM six forty dot com slash space. I went back and listened to him because I you know, like he said, it's been six months since we started talking and just absolutely fascinating. He talks in previous interviews about what the size of the space station is. You know how big it is that you could literally drop the whole space station, including the solar sales, into a stadium like end to end. It's about the size of a football field. But their living space is about the size of a four or five bedroom house. And then he talks on another one of the interviews about what it's like to sleep.
Speaker 3: He said, it's the best sleep he's ever had.
Speaker 1: He has this little like a cubby and he can close the doors and turn everything off, the lights and the sound, and he says, you just kind of float around, and he said it's the best sleep he's ever had. So again, thank you to NASA and for everybody setting all of this up, and the people at Space Force who've allowed us to do this. Colonel Nake Nick Eggs such a treat to talk to I hope we get to talk to him again when he gets back on to Earth. And it was fun if you go, if you see the video which we're going to post on our website, we saw Sonny of Sonny and Butch, the ones who are kind of stuck up on there for months. She went floating by and then recording again the Crew eight capsule.
Speaker 3: They're coming home. So how fun? How fun?
Speaker 1: All Right, We've got a few minutes Les's and wake up call before we go to handle on the news, So let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom that can catch up on real quick. LA County District Attorney George Gascon says his decision on the Menendez brothers case is coming by the end of the week. Gascone's office has been reviewing new evidence in the Lyle and Eric Menendez case that suggests the brothers may have been sexually and physically abused by their father, Jose Menendez. The Menendez brothers, who are now in their fifties are currently serving life sentences without the possibility of parole. With less than two weeks until election day, competing polls show both former President Trump and Vice President Harris leading the race. A Reuter's IPSOS poll has Harris leading by three points. The Hill Decision Desk HQ's election forecast has Trump with fifty two percent of the votes or of a chance of winning with Harris at forty eight percent. A state ballot measure giving cities more power to control rent prices has been endorsed by city leaders in La.
Speaker 9: Prop thirty three would repeal a state law that limits wish properties cities can target for rent dabilization efforts. LA City Council in Hugo Soto Martinez says the rules are weird and the city needs a change in order to address rising housing costs and homelessness.
Speaker 4: It makes no.
Speaker 2: Sense that we can rent stabilized units built in nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 7: But we don't have the power to do those for buildings built in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 9: The city council voted eight to three to endorse a yes vote for Prop thirty three. Opponents have argued with rent camps it would discourage builders from creating much needed housing in downtown La.
Speaker 4: Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News, LA County Sheriff Luna says a ballot measure that's tough on crime could overwhelm the county jails if it gets passed.
Speaker 10: Luna says he's remaining neutral on Prop thirty six. He says the proposition would repeal elements of Prop. Forty seven that need to be changed.
Speaker 9: There needs to be accountability for, specifically people who are repeat offenders with theft and drug usage.
Speaker 10: Lunas has The current system, however, does not have the facilities or staffing to handle a significant increase in people a California Legislative Analyst office, as Prop thirty six would likely increase county jail populations like trolley Ka Fine News.
Speaker 1: LA County supervisors have approved a motion for the use of gender inclusive language in the County Code. The code is a compilation of ordinances which have been codified for more than one hundred years. Supervisor Lindsay Horvath noted in the motion that the code includes gendered terms in some ordinances, referring to county officers and employees, as he in several sections A man's been arrested for allegedly stabbing someone at a Metro B line station in downtown LA. The man stabbed yesterday morning was taken to the hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. The attack happened at about six in the morning near seventh and FIGAROA Security officers held the alleged attacker for police. Two students and two faculty members at UCLA have sued the university, alleging people were unlawfully arrested inside a pro Palestinian protest camp.
Speaker 13: More than two hundred and fifty people inside the camp refused to vacate after the university issued a dispersal order this past spring. Professor Graham Blair says students were peacefully using their voices to take a stand against a crucial cause, and I also.
Speaker 4: Agreed with their message.
Speaker 7: I don't want my workplace to continue to be complicit in Israeli's genocidal campaign in Guzza.
Speaker 13: The complaint filed yesterday alleges UCLA used the excuse of students safety to clear out the camp. A judge ruled in August that UCLA could not allow students to be blocked from any portion of campus during protests.
Speaker 4: Chris Adler kea FI.
Speaker 1: News Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln is back in the Middle East to try to broker a ceasefire deal in the Israel Hamas war. Blncoln says a ceasefire is needed so the remaining hostages taken by Hamas can be released, especially now that top Hamas leader, yeah Yah Sinwar is dead.
Speaker 7: A conversation that I'll pursue in the region with other partners. But as the President said, this is and we have to make sure that this is a moment of opportunity to move forward.
Speaker 1: Lebanon's Health ministry says the latest Israeli strikes in Beirut have killed at least thirteen people. California sees more than seventy million dollars worth of illegal cannabis in just the last three months. That's according to recent numbers from Governor Newsom's office. The s Newsom says California is continuing the charge in cracking down on illicit cannabis markets to help protect consumers and support the legal cannabis industry. A couple nonprofits say they want to have a statue of Mountain Lion P. Twenty two in Griffith Park as a memorial to the Big Cat. He lived in Griffith Park for about ten years before he had to be put down in twenty twenty two because of long term health problems. President of Friends of Griffith Park, Jerry Hans says P twenty two helped change the way people look at living alongside wildlife in urban settings.
Speaker 12: We now realized the possibilities of co existing and appreciating abundant wildlife, even right here in such a large city.
Speaker 1: The group Friends of Griffith Park is partnering with the National Wildlife Federation and LA Recreation and Parks Department for the memorial. McDonald's customers are not loving that quarter pounders have been linked to an E. Coli outbreak in ten states from Wisconsin to Oregon. At least forty nine people have become sick. One person has died. The most cases are in Colorado. The CDC says it's working with McDonald's to determine what ingredient in the burgers was contaminated. It could be onions, or it could be beef. No E Coli cases have been reported in California, and lebron and Bronnie James have become the first father son duo to play in an NBA regular season game together. They checked into last night's game against the Timberwolves together with four minutes left in the second quarter. The Lakers beat Minnesota one ten to one oh three.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Want to say thank you to Space Force guardian and NASA astronaut Colonel Nick Haig, and to Space Force's Angel Roscoe who got us connected with Nick in the first place, and Nick Pouliochini who got us connected with Angel, and all so Sarah at NASA. What a fun time we had talking with Colonel Haig live on the International Space Station. We're going to post it on our website along with all the other interviews we've done with Colonel Haig, that is at KFIAM six forty dot com slash space. And we're also going to see if we can get the zoom call because I was able to see Colonel Haig as we were having the conversation. We're going to see if we get that zoom call setup so we can post it on our social media. It'll be online at Amykking and also at KFI AM six forty And of course I would love it if you follow me at Amy Kking, Thanks again to everybody for making that happen. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI. Sunny with highs in the seventies at the beach's load of mid eighties for Metrola and Inland o c eighties still o nineties in the valleys and Inland Empire, mid upper eighties in the Anelote Valley. A few degrees cooler tomorrow through Saturday, with highs in the low to mid seventies at the beach seventies to about eighty four Metro LA and Inland Orange County load uper eighty's in the Valley's ie and High Desert. It's fifty eight in Dana point sixty in Long Beach, fifty seven in Orange, sixty three in Sherman Oaks. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Alma Elmer, also traffic specialist.
Speaker 3: Nick and engineer Rick Rich.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm just a little tongue tied after our day, but thanks to everybody, I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wickup call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.