Speaker 1: What up.
Speaker 2: It's Rogan and Rodney a five seventy LA Sports. You can always find this show as well too on the iHeartRadio app. No Fred, No Rodney. It's Jason Smith over there, it's Jonas Knox right here, and it's you guys there, and we are in for those two here on a Friday. As we get you talking Dodgers, we're gonna get all the latest on the NFL rumblings from around the league, especially locally here and Jason Smith, I know you've got a little bit of a bone to pick with the presentation of the Olympics, which I feel is an outrage in a disgrace, But apparently you're gonna go there early on in the show.
Speaker 1: Now, wait a minute, where's your famous Everyone is spitting in the face of everybody else like that, that's normally your thing.
Speaker 2: You want me to dust that off? Not a problem. Hey, For those of you wondering why Fred Rogan is not here right now, it's because he is spitting in your face. As a listener. He has told you to go screw yourself. I'm too good to be here on a Friday. He is long gone, and so it's Jason and I hanging out with you here on a Friday afternoon in July.
Speaker 1: But you know, here's the thing. You say July, and there's the magic there's a magic word, Jonas, because you say July. But I'm in a Christmas mood because I'm watching the opening ceremonies to the Olympics, and it feels like I'm watching the Marina del Ray boat parade.
Speaker 2: It does it integrets me.
Speaker 1: Really, it's the same thing. Like, look you're talking to a god. Look I'm a Marina del Ray boat Parade veteran, right, Like you know, I go back a ways, like with the Marina del Ray boat parade, and it just looks like the same thing. Here come the boats and people are waving to everybody on the side. And here come the boats and everybody's waving the people who are watching. It's the Marina del Ray bat Parade.
Speaker 2: I would argue the Marina del Rey boat parade is better because of the lights, Like this is in the middle of the day and so it just it doesn't look as pretty and the presentation isn't as nice as it is in Marina del Rey because of the Christmas lights and everything. Like I had a buddy who lived in Marina Delray for years and he would always sit out on his patio and he would see the lights and it was fantastic. This is just kind of like, all right, here we go, Like it's like a bunch of cruise ships that are lining up to be cleaned. Like, it doesn't look the same as the Marina del Rey boat parade from that standpoint, So I think you had it better than the Olympians did.
Speaker 1: Now that's a hot take, because what you're saying is the lights of the Marina del Rey boat parade are more impressive than Paris, which nickname is the city of Lights. So Marina del Rey lights greater than Paris City of Lights.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, put that in line with a list of bones to pick that I have with the Olympics. Because A, then do this at night. Why are we doing it in the middle of the day. If it's a city of lights, why are we doing it in the middle of the day. Doesn't make any sense, So do it at night. B. Why were there already events that have taken place and happened before the opening ceremonies. It's not the opening ceremonies. If events are already taking place there's a sushi place not far from my house and they say happy hour all day. Well, if it's happy hour all date, it's not happy hour. It's just your regular prices. Like, why why give it a title if you're just gonna go against it? So opening ceremonies. Yet, I was watching handball women's handball yesterday morning while I was doing the show on Fox Sports Radio. So there's that. And Andy can't drink at any of these events. That's that to me get with the times. I can understand that you're worried about people throwing bottles out onto the onto the playing field and whatnot. But there's a reason why we've grown up. Put it in some plastic cups and let these people have a couple of cocktails, lick the lid a little bit and watch some of these events while they're paying all those prices for it.
Speaker 1: Well, clearly they wanted a soft opening to the Olympics. Hey, you know, let's make sure we get people watching before. You know, we don't want to just give you the open. Let's have a soft open. Let's open our doors for a little bit. See if we get some traffic people talking about the Olympics let's get that Canadian drone controversy, spygate, Michigan scandal going. Let's juice things up with that. Then we hit them with the opening ceremonies and now it's not now we haven't hit on our hands. And who's just a soft opening? Yeah to it?
Speaker 2: And also, who's got the guts to jump in the water that apparently can't be cleaned that they're worried about from a sanitary standpoint, So yes, have we've.
Speaker 1: Seen the mayor since the mayor jumped in the water. Hey, I don't worry it's I don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: It feels it feels like that's a problem. It feels like that's a major problem. But nonetheless, the Olympics are here, opening ceremonies are going on, and we're going to have, you know, several days of people learning about events they didn't know existed. But the coverage and all that will be fun to monitor throughout the course of the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: But of course, caring so much about it, caring so much about the event, I didn't even know about it. Nine o'clock this morning. We have to win.
Speaker 2: We have to win this equestrian all the other great events that are out there, which to me, I mean equestrians basically you know, horse racing, except you know, you don't have like degenerate flunky gamblers who just got out of jail, sitting rail side smacking a pamphlet against their leg because they bet everything they own in the family mortgage on the number two horse. So it feels like it doesn't have as much of an edge. But those are the Olympics. We got bigger conversations that have in this town. Ronnie Fossio, Take it away.
Speaker 3: Spotlight on Blue is presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino.
Speaker 2: Eric Dickerson's favorite spot in the Coachella Valley.
Speaker 3: Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for the best entertainment, or sign up for twenty nine rewards where you play, earn points and spend them however you prefer. You'll see why Spotlight twenty nine Casino.
Speaker 2: Is Coachella Valley's best bet all right, Jason Smith. The Dodgers, with a trade deadline approaching, have got some things they've got to figure out. They got to make some moves now. They did make a move earlier today. James Paxton, the basically only healthy starter the Dodgers have had all season long, who they dfa'd a couple of days ago. He has been sent to the Boston Red Sox. In return, they bring back minor league infielder Moises Bolivar on Friday. He's seventeen years old and that's about as much as I know about him. So he has been brought into the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Randy A.
Speaker 2: Rose Arena, who they were looking at as a potential trade target, he is gone. He's in Seattle now. So with that being said, the Dodgers are sitting here where a few days before the trade deadline, a minor move, one move that went by the wayside, and we wait to see how LA approaches this trade deadline here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Well, let's deal with with with James Paxson. First. It just happened earlier today, and this was a gift for the Dodgers. Anytime you dfa someone and you wind up getting something at whatever it is, it doesn't matter whether it's stocking a soda machine for three years like in Moneyball. Hey what we got for James Paxton. Paxson was a guy who his record looked good, but he walked way too many people, and he wasn't going even five. I mean, you can't even go five innings, right, So you have other people that can say, hey, that wist walk less and hopefully they'll be able to go five innings. Kershow hasn't pitched in a year nearly when five innings in his first start. So I get it. I get making room and trying to figure things out. And you know they they had to make room for river Ryine on the on the forty man roster. So I get it. This is a trade that hey, look, whatever happens happens. I know there's a lot of people upset at the Arosa Raina deal when the Rose Raina trade broke. Last night on my show, it was all why didn't we get a Rosa Raina? Why did we get them? Why didn't we get him? And I just say, you know, the Dodgers have enough hitting. I get it. I get it. Most most guys they bring up from the miners they hit three point fifty for the rest of the season, and it's boy, this guy's a superstar. I'm not worried about the hitting. The pitching is a huge deal. Not that they needed to keep James Paxson, But wow, you really need something because the deadline's coming up, and my concern for the Dodgers is like it at ten, not from making the playoffs, but because this is a World Series or busty for them like that, you're all in on Otani, who's having an MVP season. You need to be in the World Series. And the way the starting pitching looks right now, it's glassnow and Kershaw who pitched four two thirds innings yesterday, because everybody else you have no idea, right, Yamamoto may come back in September. Anytime you say, hey, we're looking for this guy to come back near the end of the year. Maybe yeah, that is that really gonna happen. No, Walker Bueler may never be the same. You know, he's got another couple of starts and he's trying to figure out. He says he's figured out what's going on with the mechanically, but who knows. Bobby Miller's got another start in the miners tonight. Before they make a decision. You can't keep relying on, Hey, these guys are coming back. Maybe they're coming back. They need to go get two starting pitchers at the deadline. Two there's not a lot out there. That's why my concern is out of ten because it's not like there's a pitching rich environment. We can go get Verlander, we can go get shirts who we can go get So there's not a lot of guys out there, So they need two starters in a market that doesn't have a lot of starting pitching. Hence why my concern is about of a ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know'd be sweet for the Dodgers. I was thinking about this if they just said, you know what, f it, why don't we just get healthy, because it feels like that's the best path for them. If you could get Yamamoto back at some point and he's healthy, If you could get Walker Bueller at I mean, you're shoveling dirt on his career, which I can't even believe that that's a Fred Rogan move. But Walker Bueller, if you could get him back, that would be ideal. If you could get some of the guys back, Mookie bets all, like, I feel like I would be a little bit more confident in this team as opposed to having to go chase big time names at the deadline and who knows. Like we were talking earlier this week with Jack Harris, It's like, who knows who they're willing to part with? From a minor league standpoint, everybody knows they're loaded in the miners. Who knows who they're willing to walk with if they look at a player like a Crochet or there's been talks maybe a Justin Steele could be available, depending on what the Cubs decide to do. Nico Horner's Name's been thrown out there. There's a real chance that maybe there's not a big time blockbuster move, and maybe the best approach is let's wait to see if we can get some of these guys back. This was the team we thought we were going to field at the start of the year. I don't know why I get this impression, and I know that your concern level for them is a ten. I just get good vibes about this team this year. I don't know why I shouldn't. They're riddled with injuries, They've had bad luck on that front. There's something about this team. I have a good feeling into the postseason. I think they're gonna get healthier. I just don't foresee a big time blockbuster move out there, like we've seen them pull off in the past.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing. You just you know all the people coming back. Hey, those are all people we can look at. But you said, if, like four times, if Yamamoto comes back, if Miller is good, if Clayton Kershaw continues to be continues to progress and is good, if Walker Buehler can get back to being himself, that's a lot of chances. Like if you're talking about if for one player, boy, Hey, if Yamamoto comes back, Okay, that's what that's great. You wonder that you have everything else, but you really don't have anything else. And I mean, and look, and there's not a lot of guys out there. Crochet is out there, and the guy's twenty five, and he wants the moon, right, he wants a contract extension if he's going to pitch in October. Like how insane is that this is the best guy on the market. You can get him out of Chicago. Who are gonna lose one hundred and twenty five games this year? And he says, Oh, if I'm gonna pitch in October, I need a contract extension. Wait what Like not even lebron and Bronni would try to pull something off like that, and he's the number one guy.
Speaker 2: He's dictating terms like he's the guy calling the ship. It's like when my kid tries to negotiate with me, when I tell him, hey, you got to pick up your monster trucks. He's like, well, no, no, no, I gotta do this. No, no, no, that's not how this works, Like you're not dictating to me. Ultimately ends up getting whatever he wants anyways, because I cave in easily. But yeah, that is funny how he's basically saying, well, I'm not pitching out of the bullpen. I need a contract extension. I need it to dude. Just you need to get the hell out of Chicago. The teams that just di you need to get somewhere and you could be a part of a Pennant race. So that is a kind of a funny aspect to all this stuff. But yeah, it's Look, the deadline's coming up around the corner. I don't know that Randya Rosarino was gonna be the end all, be all solve of whatever their issues are. And what's he gotten like two eighteen this year?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but here's the thing. The last month and a half he's been great, Like the first month and a half he was, he's at like one oh five and now he's got it up to two. It sounds awful, but the last month and a half he's been fantastic.
Speaker 2: I So the Dodgers are sitting at this point, They're gonna obviously take calls, kick the tires on some names out there. Maybe they'll make a move, maybe not. Would you feel let's say the trade deadline comes and goes, they add a couple of small time pieces, but they don't add that big frontline starter. And the approach, which was part of the reason why James Paxton was designated for assignment over the weekend or on Monday, the approach is, we are going to trust that we're going to get better, healthier walker Bullers, fix the mechanics. How would your optimism level be for this team towards the back end of the season endo the postseason.
Speaker 1: Exactly the same? Mi Concerner be at a ten, I'd be exactly the same. They could walk into the first round of the playoffs and get buzzed like they did last year. I mean, like it's if you're talking about and I don't mean at this point you need those big front of the lot because they're not available. But if you can get a couple of really good pitchers that are gonna go six innings, I mean, that's what you need. That's all you need. You can't have guys going four innings every other outing and you're dusting the bullpen and trying to figure things out. I mean, that's not a recipe for success. If they do nothing, If they stand pat I would say the Dodgers have just a big a chances going to the World Series as they do getting knocked out in the first round by a team that's hot. That's a little bit deeper with starting pitching, because a lot of stuff equalizes when you get to that short series. So you know, if they don't make moves, if they don't try to bring in some sort of depth, if they're trying to bring in two more starting pitchers to be your second and third starters, a third and four starters, that's where I be because you're also talking about navigating the rest of the season now. So now you're gonna navigate the season without anybody new coming in, and these guys potentially coming back, they could come back and then get hurt again. I mean, how many teams you've seen now that are staying in it because I have six and seven starting pitchers and they lengthened guys out. You're gonna come out of the bullpen be along end. Oh no, we got an injury, You're sliding right back in. Like that's becoming the new way the teams do it. And it's not loading up with a superstar ace at one, two and three. It's let's have good pictures that can go five six innings, and if something happens and there's an injury, then you know, we can slide a guy right in and not have to miss anything like that. That's the strategy that's been working.
Speaker 2: This is why I defend Dave Roberts because people make it seem like, well, they've got this big payroll. They're gonna pay seven hundred million dollars for Otani, who's the greatest player in the history of the game. They're gonna add you know, Yamamoto glass, Now all these pieces, no more excuses for David for Dave Roberts, And I look at it and I go, this is kind of a pain in the ass to deal with, Like he's got a lot go on this year the mookie bets stuff. What do you do with the middle infield? Like you know, ta Oskar Hernandez. Nobody saw that coming. He's been huge for this team. Now, the pitching injuries, who you can depend on. You're bringing Kershaw back and we'll get into that conversation here eventually. But Kershaw comes back and it's in a limited role. So is it necessary, as Jack Harris pointed out, or is this somebody that you feel like is actually ready to go. I look at the job for Dave Roberts and I go, he's got a lot to try and juggle as they get ready for the postseason. On top of the fact that everybody is expecting, well, they're going to melt down or fall apart. He's going to make a bullpen move that's going to be the wrong move, and he's going to be the guy in the hot seat when if you're dealing with all of this. To me, he deserves a lot more credit than he gets for somebody that's been juggling all this state, even Keel the entire time, with everything thrown in his lap, trying to get ready for the postseason. I'm fascinated to see what reaction in this town is going to be depending on how they turn out in the postseason. On Dave Roberts, you know.
Speaker 1: You mentioned, you know, it's funny, you know who he reminds me of now getting to see his managerial career now for the better part of a decade, not just here's a couple of years, and what kind of lineup are they putting out there? And yes, every bullpen move he makes in the postseason is wrong. He should a lot of this guy. Of course, you can say that after someone gives up a three run homer, but you know who, he reminds me of a lot, and this is crazy. He reminds me a lot of Joe Tory, the way Tory was able to navigate that Yankee dynast. They obviously, you know, one championship for Dave Roberts and the Yankee you know, the Yankees won four, but every year world Series threat, they're in the World Series, they're deep in the playoffs, and there's different challenges with a superstar roster that has it's amount of turnover every year, getting the young players to come up, keeping them happy, knowing when you can kind of coddle a young superstar like Cody Bellinger when you know you need to kick him in the ass a little bit, like he that is a thankless job, and he is someone who has navigated these waters a lot like Joe Tory did. Every day is either it's lady or the time, it's everything is wonderful. Oh my god. The Dodger need to trade seven different guys, so it's a really difficult job. And after seeing him do it now for ten years, you realize he's been the perfect guy all along and it's just you know, hey, at some point, something's got to change in the playoffs. But you know, for him getting the team there and and performing, Yeah, he does not get the credit he deserves because that's kind of what he reminds me of.
Speaker 2: And no meltdowns, like no, no podium meltdowns, Like you're not seeing him throw anything. You're not seeing him like who was that Hal McCrae years ago who liked had a tantrum? Oh he turned over his desk, got oh yeah, like lou Panella fought Rob Dibble Like you're like, you haven't seen any of that from Dave Roberts. And all the guy's done is produce at a high level. They've got the World Series from twenty twenty. They are perennial threat, as you pointed out, and all he does is get criticism. This is the year Roberts is on the hot seat. If he doesn't get it done this year, he's gone. Just even Keel keeps calm the entire time. The guy deserves a little bit more credit than he gets.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: The biggest controversy he gets in too, is always, Hey, all right, Clayton Kershaw is starting and it's like, you know, the seventh or eighth inning, and you Roberts call somebody over, Hey, go down there and ask Clayton now he's doing See if he's okay for the ninth, if if he needs to come out just and then just come back and just really slide me. Tap me once. If he's ready to come out, tap me twice. He wants to go out there and pitch like that's the only bit of controversy. It's like, hey, just you know, I don't want to upset Clayton, So just go down there and find out how he's doing it.
Speaker 2: Come back and tell me, Oh man, it's gonna be it's gonna be fun to watch the trade deadline fast approaching here for the Dodgers moves to be made. One minor one, Randy A Rose Arena is gone, Hey, let him go, let him go, hang out in Seattle and deal with rain three hundred and sixty eight days of the year. Bottom line is Dodgers are gonna make some moves. Trade day, trade deadline rather right around the corner, and we will keep you up to speed here on A five to seventy LA Sports is how that transpires.
Speaker 1: Take me.
Speaker 3: Where the game means in full swing?
Speaker 1: Where five okay?
Speaker 3: With spots and more. Spotlight twenty nine loves the Blue from first pitch to the final album.
Speaker 1: So come to Spotlight twenty nine, the true fan show, Come Blue.
Speaker 2: Jason Smith Jonas Knox in for Fred and Rodney here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Up next, a lot of smiles, even some tears at Dodger Stadium, But could it be the end of the road despite all the good signs. We'll tell you why that is right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Make sure to tune into the Spotlight on Blue every Friday with Rogan and Run presented by Spotlight twenty nine Casino.
Speaker 2: Eric Dickerson's favorite spot in the Coachella Valley.
Speaker 3: Check out Spotlight twenty nine dot com for the best entertainment for sign up for twenty nine Rewards, where you play, earn points and spend them however you prefer. You'll see why Spotlight twenty nine Casino is Coachella's best bet.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Is it a we don't care Friday? That's how we're calling it. We don't care. Well, I officially don't care about the Olympics. I'll tell you that right now based on what I'm saying for these Olympics ceremonies.
Speaker 1: What he did? You bet on the parade and you're losing? Is that why? Like you have? You have this built in hate already for the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Hey, guy's got needs. Okay, a guy's got needs. I'm just a little bit upset with the opening ceremonies, but they are already be in games that are being played and happening and all that other fun stuff. But nonetheless, it is Rogan Rodney here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, Jason Smith, Jonas Knox in for the guys here on a Friday coming up in We'll call it a little over ten minutes from now here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, we are going to tell you about how somebody might have ruined their season in the NFL before it even started. We could already count two losses in the books for one team in the NFL, and we will get into that for you again a little over ten minutes from now so, Jason Smith, it was all smiles, even some tears. Yesterday at Dodger Stadium, Clayton Kershaw makes his return. Underwent the scope surgery over the offseason, He's missed several months, gets back out there, throws four innings. A little bit of a trouble early on in his performance, but nonetheless it was great to see him back out there, and considering what he's coming back from. You see the numbers, we can break it all down. Yeah, he didn't go nine innings, but first game back, I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw from Clayton Kershaw. Clearly not what he once was and probably never will be, but pleasantly surprised. And I think everybody there at Dodger Stadium was there yesterday as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look at it like this as much as look my concern level. I told you at a ten because of starting pitching specifically for Clayton Kershaw. Okay, after seeing him yesterday swinging miss rate was okay, gave up a couple of runs in and out of trouble even he said, I can't go eight innings right now. But number one, you know he doesn't want to keep pitching in Rancho Kukamanga. I'm ready to come back. This's your measurine, right, I'm ready to come back.
Speaker 2: What's wrong with Rancho Kook.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, you know, he's not one that's gonna make this big long Hey. When when I'm ready and I can get guys out in the Major, I'll tell you. Because I'm Clayton Kershaw Okay, I'm not gonna go there. I mean I watched Matt Kemp playing Rancho kou Kamanga once. I was like, he can't wait to get out of here. He can not wait to get out of it.
Speaker 2: But you almost can't.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't have an attitude around the players that are there because then you you feel like a bit of a douche because it's like, oh, I'm too good for this, Like well, you're too good for it. This is all I got, buddy, Like I I least paper catering.
Speaker 1: I'm watching Kemp play center forcause when out there a friend of ours worked on the anniversary of the Sandlot and so say, we're having this whole big thing out there. We're showing the movie after and tickets you want to go, Yeah great, We brought my daughter. She loved it. And it happened to be one of Matt Kemp's rehab games. And he's out there and it's like you can't even see him all the way out in center field because the lighting is so bad and like the grass is really high and it looks like a just like a you know, a stadium that you're saying to yourself, boy, here's Matt Kemp playing center field. Like if if if a UFO would could come down and beat him up, he would have said, yeah, come on, take me, I'm ready, I'm ready, get me out of here, get me out of you.
Speaker 2: And it was a Sandlot annimrocery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that was the game they showed Sandlot on on the big screen. TV's like the twenty fifth anniversar you ever whatever it was.
Speaker 2: By the way, did you say, I don't know how recent the video was, but you know, the kid who played Smalls in the Sandlot, so he's now an adult and apparently he's got some issues because there was some like ring doorbell camera that showed footage of him, like breaking a brick through his neighbor's windshield. Yeah, shirt off, complete slob, looks absolutely annihilated out of his mind. Apparently got arrested. I think he had to like check into rehab, and it really took away from the movie for me because I can no longer watch that movie because now I know the real ending. The real ending isn't Benny the Jet ends up playing it Dodger Stadium. It's Smalls turns into a full blown alcoholic and throws a brick through his neighbor's windshield. Like it's just the whole thing's disturbing though, So when you bring up the Sandlot, it kind of spoils it for me to be, well.
Speaker 1: Now you're killing me Smalls means something completely different. Yes, you know when the cop said that to me, they put him in the back of the car, killing me small Now.
Speaker 2: I'm almost positive he pulled like a machete out as well. Too, like he came ready to rock who knew?
Speaker 1: Like who knew? I'm ready to rock man man. Look, but Kershaw, this is the best thing I can and I think it's accurate and it's positive. Is that there is no reason to not be cautiously optimistic that he can be the best version of himself over the course of this season, because we see it now and this has become like a Ladder Day phenomenon in the last two or three years, where now older athletes like Kershaw lebron A d now in his early thirties, you expect injuries, like they're not going to make it through a whole season. You expect injuries, and the best thing you can hope for is that will the injury happen at a time where we can overcome it. Like if it happens at the end of the season going into the playoffs, well we're screwed. If it happens in the middle of the season and they're able to come back with a month and a half to go before the season ends, that's great. It happens at the beginning of the year, they come back, but it's like, you know the injury is gonna happen and when can you avoid it? Well, Kershaw had his injury last year, and now you know, if you had him from the beginning of the season, is he making thirty thirty five starts? Of course not. He's look great in April and May and then something. You know, all the innings that he's had are gonna creep up on him and it wouldn't be the same Clayton Kershaw. But now the timing of this really falls in line with the Dodgers because you're looking at twelve starts. Now you're looking at a Jacob de Grom, like, hey, can you make twelve starts this year and make a handful during the regular season and then be it your best in the playoffs? Can you peak and starts ten through fifteen or sixteen, because that's all you're counting on him for. So I almost feel like they had they had a great a time with dodging the injury, because now what you're asking to come back for isn't something yet you know, hey, eventually he's gonna wind up getting hurt, gonna be on the il. Can he come back? It's like, now you need him, Okay, let's have let's have twelve weeks that's what we need. We did twelve weeks of baseball and twelve to fifteen starts, and I think that's a very fortuitous thing for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: To see his wife crying. I think spoke volumes to me about how difficult the time since his last appearance has been. Because my thought on it was when there was conversations about him retiring, I said, there's no way in hell, if it's humanly physically possible, he's letting that be his last appearance as a Dodger. What happened in the postseason that was a disaster. And listen, he's had rough performances in the postseason, those have been documented. That was really bad. There's no way in hell he wants to let that be the final chapter of his career and to see her emotional like that. And I think he even talked about it with David Vasse after the game, where he was saying, yeah, you know, my wife and my family have had to put up with me for the past however many months. And I think a lot of that was it was really draining on him to know, first surgery of my career, all the injuries that he's had, He's never had a surgery before. This is the first one of his career, and his career was really in jeopardy had they done the full surgery. So they took this approach because they felt like it would give him a better chance to get on the field sooner and to see him out there it was almost like a sigh of relief for him. And it was his wife who just thought about all the moments, all the doubt that had crept in. So I'm with you whatever version you get from him, Yes, it's necessary. It's not going to be the Clayton Kershaw that we've seen, but I think he feels a sense of Okay, now I can kind of go out on my terms, maybe not having the injury going into last year melting down in the playoff game. To me, I looked at it and said, that's a good story. He's not going to be your as, but that's a good story to see him maybe close out the final chapter of his career of the Dodgers on his terms from a hell's standpoint, and in a better light than the six or whatever home runs he gave a blast postseason.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you this, because you saw how emotional it was I want to know at what point you would take the over. If I said to you, Clayton Kershaw, the number of starts he has the rest of his career before he retires. If I said thirty, would you take the over? Thirty starts the rest of his career untill he hangs up, would you take the over?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: If I said twenty five, would you take the over? No? If I said twenty, would you take the over? Yes?
Speaker 2: But I would also have an eye towards my kid's piggy bank, because I would probably need to take money out of there to try and make up for losing that fat I'm look, I'm I'm with you.
Speaker 1: And so twenty's the magic number for the over under. Then twenty's the magic number the number of starts he has left in his career. Yes, yeah, I think that's because you're talking about whatever he has this year, yes, and then whatever he has next year, most likely, which is a bit because another big injury, and you know how many you know, how much long can you keep doing this and and how many can you write him down for next year? I think between twenty twenty five, Like that's the sweets, that's the number for how many starts he has.
Speaker 2: Left and I would ask you this, they won a World Series this year, is he coming back?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think he retires in the in the in the in the in the celebration on the field, like he takes the trophy and leaves with it, because because I do.
Speaker 2: I do wonder if there's some of that as well too, like, yeah, you know, we won the World Series in twenty twenty, but you didn't get all the moments afterwards because of COVID, because of where it was. I wonder if he looks at it like, man, if I could win a World Series and go out with a better look than I had last year in the playoffs, but I can win that World Series, we can have the parade and just sort of have the big celebration. He's got nothing else left to prove, Like he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, he'll have two rings at that point. He can go out on his terms. He doesn't have to fight back to come back from the injuries, he doesn't have to perform at at a lower level than he has been in his peak and in his prime. I think if they win a World Series, he's done after this year.
Speaker 1: Oh, Yeah, no, he, like I said, he grabs the trophy and he Jason Tatum is like, I'm not I'm gonna steal this from everybody, not let anybody else touch it. I'm gonna take photos with it now. I may not be the MVP, but this is my trophy. I got no because because then then you say, Okay, he goes out the way nobody else can. You don't know what the rest of his future is gonna be. Is he gonna come back for one more year for a farewell? You know, that's not how it works in baseball, especially with starting pitchers, doesn't work that way. So yeah, he would, he would go right away, and then it would be then the bit, is he the best left handed pitcher in the history of the game. Yeah, Like, clearly he's the best of the last fifty years. And you're going back to Sandy Kofax when his career cut short when he was thirty. I mean, this is how far you're going back to find somebody a left handed pitcher better than Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 2: And if he pitch as well in the postseason, which would kind of exercise some of the demons from all the narratives surrounding him in the past. If he could put together a couple of decent performances in the postseason, it's a hell of a way to go out, man, And just but to see him out there yesterday, I'm looking at the numbers, I'm like, yeah, he only threw four innings, but I mean he's probably pretty happy with that based on where he was, and they'll slowly ramp him up, you know, as they get to the sea. And the fact that look, Nick Ahmed burned his former team with the go ahead home run in the eighth sho hey, Otani's been absolutely fantastic and being able to deliver them that win yesterday. So that was fun to see him do it against the Giants. And quietly, you know, while everybody's concerned about the trade deadline, six and one post All Star break, I mean, it could be a lot worse, Jason, Right, There's a lot of teams that would kill for six and one at any point in the season, and the Dodgers are six and one post All Star break and getting ready to make a couple of moves at the deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, and you're right, and for any other team would say I'd love to have their problems, right, But for the Dodgers, it's unfortunately they are judged better and harsher than everybody else because of the team they put together. Where if this isn't a World Series appearance, like that's a failure and that's a lot to live with every single year, and that's the Dodgers have lived with for the better part of the last decade. So yeah, the whole concern I have for this where they are, it's it's not about getting in the play It's not about winning the NL West, because they'll win the West and they'll you know, hopefully of what you know, avoid what they can avoid the matchups they don't want. But this is about getting to the World Series. And if you say, okay, our main starters are Glass now, and then we have a Kershaw who was maybe seventy percent of what he was at his peak, and you got question mark, question mark, question mark, that's what the big deal is. You know, if you if you come back and say it's Glass now and then you have a couple and then Kershaw's your third guy or your fourth guy, or someone who can start one game in the in in a playoff round, because you get get an extra day's rest for people. Suddenly, then I feel a hell of a lot better about the Dodgers than I do going in, only because this is about World Series, not about hey, getting into the playoffs, which you know ninety percent of the other teams are going, oh yeah, I'd love to have all the Dodger problem love to get in. There'd love to be twenty games over five hundred running away with a division. But it's okay, But remember that's not your victory. You know, you're not popping champagne. The Dodgers aren't popping champagne last day of the regular season because we won another NL West. This is something that is supposedly, you know, hopefully three or four weeks later they're talking about bigger champagne.
Speaker 2: Well, you're gonna be popping some hofey later on tonight because the Dodgers take on the Astros tonight with first pitch at five to ten. Listen to every play on AM five to seven LA Sports, and stream all games in h D on the iHeartRadio app. And it's five dollars Friday at Albertson's and Vond's featuring Hopey Bacon Rap hot Dogs in Hollywood's original natural Old casing b Frank Frank Furters. You get your pack today while listening to the game later on tonight Dodgers and the Hated Astros coming up later on at Dodger Stadium, and we will be getting you ready here on AM five to seventy LA Sports throughout the course of tonight, getting ready for that matchup over the course of the weekend. It's Jason Smith, It's Jonas Knox here AM five to seventy LA Sports. And coming up next here we are going to tell you about how an NFL team might have already guaranteed two losses this upcoming season. And it's a team with a lot of fans in this town right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Don't you dare poke the frog? Don't you do it?
Speaker 1: You do it?
Speaker 2: You're gonna feel the wrath. Rogan and Roddy AM five seventy LA Sports. Jason Smith, Jonas Knox in for the guys, and today's afternoon delight is dead Man by Alessia Kara. That and you already knew this, but this song is set to appear on the Canadian Natives forthcoming fourth solo studio album, which is scheduled to be released in the fall. When talking about the album, she said it quote feels like a collection of all the things that I love and features cameos from John Mayer and others. Again, Today's afternoon delight is dead Man by Alessia Kara.
Speaker 1: I think Rodney Pete's one of those cameos, right, probably, Yeah. I mean, if he's not, let's just say he is. Oh you missed him.
Speaker 2: Just got him on the yacht. He just went to the yacht and found him there and just said him.
Speaker 1: And Holly just waving to people. Hey, how you guys doing all right? Great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, so you know, get it.
Speaker 1: Every day he is off, yo, and when when you and I fill in at different times. Every time, you know, Kevin figures calls us, hey, you know Rodney's off, Like like when Fred is off, I'm picturing Fred like running around in Palm Springs doing a whole bunch of stuff and just trying to stay cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Every time, Oh Rodney's off, I'm just picturing him on a yacht somewhere. Just yeah, I'm off today, I'm on a yacht and I'm hanging out and we're just doing like like the what I picture from. Both of those guys are incredibly different from them.
Speaker 2: All two different social lives, yeah, in social circles. Yeah, I mean yeah, completely different guys. Now, did you know that Fred is actually on the East Coast on a baseball tour, So he's going to be seeing your Mets, like he's going to see them. That's part of his vacation. So he'll be on the East Coast. Scene three, I think you're seeing like the the Phillies, the Mets, and somebody else. Like he didn't see the he doesn't want to see the Yankees because he's already been there. Yeah, the Red Sox or the other one. So he's seen the Phillies, the Mets, and the Red Sox. That's his vacation. Meanwhile, Rodney's on a yacht yeah of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, so just like can you get that TMZ video from like Far Away Going when they zoom in and here's Rodney just standing there with a glasses, champagne, no shirt on of course, no shirt, you know, swim trunks. Yeah, yeah, I need today off, guys.
Speaker 2: He's gott caviare and the champagne going and the Crystal and Fred's eating nachos out of a plastic baseball helmet, Like like, that's the difference between Fred and Rodney if you needed to know what their time away from he was, like, you know what, I was thinking about this as well too, with the Dodgers obviously being in Houston, do you think fans like, because we know Dodger fans hate the Astros, do you think Astros fans hate the Dodgers? Because if they do, why, Like, like, what are you pissed about? Like Dodger fans and the Dodgers are the ones that should be upset. It's like the guy who robs your house and then gets pissed that you hit him in the face, So what are you doing that for? Like the whold on a second, like this, that's not how this works. I just wonder what the reception is like they're still all these years later after the cheating scandal in the World Series.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, they just hate everybody. They they hate they hate everybody. It's wait a minute, we cheated for all those years in one two World Series we kind of said we were sorry, that's not enough. Oh now it's us against the world, Like that's what the Astros have done. Oh now it's us against the one. You didn't get any punishment at it. Well, you pet the World series rings? What it talking about? What do you mean you? Oh now you hate it. We kind of said we were sorry. We're not really sorry because we won. But oh now you have Okay, now we're us against the world. Now everybody hates us because we're not here. Let's galvanize this and use this as a moment where you can rise up and win another World Series.
Speaker 2: Like I just like none of it, Like I just think about it. Go that's probably still happening. And it's it's it's the most bizarre thing in the world because you're the one that made the mistake. You're the one that committed the crime. You're the one that's upset. It's like, okay, well I guess that's just how it works. So again, Dodgers in uh in Houston and I take on the Astro.
Speaker 1: So there's gonna be people, you you know, like you get those those obituaries once in a while, and and someone will say in a biture, hey, you know, blah blah blah, so and so was this and this and the last line is always and and he was always very upset that the Dodgers didn't give Brad Penny more of a chance, you know, or something really rare. There's gonna be obituaries in thirty forty years from people and it's gonna say blah blah blah this, this, this this, And he never got over the fact that the Astros cheated in one two World Series, like that's how long this is. Of course, this is gonna fester with baseball things.
Speaker 2: Of course, listen, it's why we love sports. People hold on to grudges. There's nothing better now, speaking of grudges, speaking of rivalries, Raiders Chiefs is a great rivalry. Now, the Raiders have had some good moments against the Chiefs recently, mostly in the regular season, not in the postseason, because they generally don't make the playoffs. The Chiefs do, and they're winning Super Bowls nowadays. So the Raiders had a Kermitt the Frog doll at practice or some crap like that, and they said that Patrick Mahomes sounds like Kermit the Frog. Now I would push back on that from this standpoint. I think he sounds like a mix between Kermit the Frog and Louis Armstrong. All right, that's the way if we really want to break this down Patrick Mahomes and how he sounds, That's that's what I would go with. But you know, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs saw it. Andy Reid made a comment and said, well, you know, we don't really play with puppets here. That was sort of his dig at the at the Raiders. You know, we don't really play with with any puppets here at at camp. And then Patrick Mahomes said, it's still early in the year. It'll get handled when he gets handled. So have the Raiders already guaranteed themselves in what's kind of a kind of an important year for the Raiders there in Las Vegas since they've moved on and DeVante Adams wants to be happy or else he wants to be out, have the Raiders already guaranteed themselves two losses this upcoming year against the Chiefs little motivation.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Maybe they guaranteed like like eight losses the next four years. Okay, you know, because is Mahome's gonna forget they had a puppet of me at camp that time. Every time he goes out there. You know what I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 4: At least it's something I'm dealing with where it's not my brother, it's not my wife, it's not all kinds of stuff happening.
Speaker 1: At least I can go out and I can handle touchdowns gonna happen? Now?
Speaker 2: Is that fat out?
Speaker 1: That sounds like fat Albert? Oh? Man, that's a pretty good mom. It's a tough one because he's always got no voice. He's like the Doc Rivers the NFL, that's all. It's always like, what do you do? How is your voice still like this? Like? I know you're barking out signals all the time, but at some point during the off season, don't you have like nice rich base levels in your voice when you're talking? And there no? So no, it's what's happened? What's going? So I'm telling it how it goes. Just get really excited up in the air. Ye, So do we have?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: You and I would would be experts on this because we do a lot of radio. We talk on the air a lot. When's the last time you lost your voice?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: This laft this past weekend?
Speaker 2: Did you really?
Speaker 1: I was? I would you know? I came back to had vacation and I came back. We went to London, we went to Scotland, and you know, in Scotland in the summer, it's like forty degrees, so it's like, you know, you saw the Open Championship, like we're running around in fleece and and warm pants. I'm like, it's the middle of bleep in July. Man. So I came back a little bit of a cold. Okay, that's fine. And then I was kind of feeling it on Friday night. The boy my voice little horse, but okay. And and now now I sound like a kid who goes to the store for ear medicine all the time. So I have an allergy to dogs and cats, and we dog sat one of our friend's pets over the weekend. And sometimes once in a while if I use my inhaler, it it really affects my voice. It's like just whatever it is. They say, once you hit fifty, you gotta have a different kind of of of of mix and your inhaler. Okay, great, And so I took it, and my voice just like I had no power in it. Like anytime if I would try to really get high in nut it was it was I was up here like this, I can't do it. I can't do it. So I couldn't work on Monday. So I was sick on Monday and rich Ornberger filled in for me, and it was it's scary when that happens, but at least I knew this is gonna be very temporary and it'll be back to normal. And it was back to normal the next day.
Speaker 2: But for the most part, if you do a double like you're doing two shows in a day, like you do quite often or something like that, for the most part, your voice stands up correct. I mean, like you're good to go. So like if your Doc Rivers or Patrick mahomes, like, I'm not trying to tell them how to handle their off seasons, but like don't you get with like a vocal coach and be like, hey, so what's your secret? You know what I mean? Like like I'm tired of having a throat lodgeings in my mouth at all times because I can't feel what's going on. Like I learned from doing singing lessons, you go from the diaphragm right. There's a reason why opera singers look like they're fat. It's because their mid sections are so strong. Because that's where you belt everything from. So it's like, Hey, Patrick Mahomes, You've already got the throwing motion down, You've got all the mechanics, You've got every gift in the world you could possibly want. Doc Rivers, you've got an NBA championship. All right, You've somehow figured out a way to be a TV guy for an hour and a half and then get another head coaching job during the off season. Why not work on maintaining your voice so that people can actually hear what the hell you say, so that you knoweople aren't calling you Kermit the Frog at training camp in Las Vegas. Well, it feels like that would be the approach.
Speaker 4: This is Patrick Mahomes for bigelow t It coach your throat. It's not a lot of caffeine. It works out great, Hey, Doc, you tell him right? Oh yeah, no, my voice is up here. It's much higher. People are gonna blame me if this tea doesn't work, But it's not my fault. It's never it's not my fault. I didn't have Giannis.
Speaker 1: I don't know the cut cut cut cut, Doc, just just just read what's on the prompter.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: No, but people are gonna blame me for the They're gonna blame me for the bucks. They're gonna blame me for the sixers. I gotta get this at doc, Doc, just just read what's in front of you, Doc, Just read, just read that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and if you need any help, we'll walk you through it like this, and you know, we will walk you through all this stuff. Get you ready, you know, you just gotta go from the diaphragm, you know. And also another thing as well too, try and stay away from dairy that'll mess up your vocal cords. Yeah, and spicy foods. I made the mistake of getting mango hobbin aro boneless wings from Buffalo Wild Rings, which is across the street from uh the Fox Sports Radio studios and the Gallery in Sherman Oaks, and tried to do an update afterwards. Oh, it was an abomination. I can't like, I can't even believe. But kay, it was so bad because I couldn't find my mouth was numb, I couldn't find my words. So like you just you go through these things and you realize, all right, maybe don't take that approach, so just you know, keep it as clean as possible and then maybe next time the Raiders want to have something to bully Patrick Mahomes on, which, by the way, the Raiders, listen, you've got bigger issues, dude, Like yeah, I mean, what the hell like I do? I wonder if they look at it and go, you know, maybe we shouldn't have traded Derek Carr or gotten rid of Derek Carr. You know, maybe, you know, maybe we could have had a better solution here to keep DeVante happy in Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: I think they should say, hey, listen, guys, you know that we're trotting out either Aid O'Connell or Gardner Minshew against Mahomes in two games this year. Okay, you guys know that, right, Okay, just so you know, right, you don't have Josh Jacobs anymore, just so you know that, right, Okay, you know this is going on. You know we're not gonna have Devanta Adams with that second game because we're going to trade him by Halloween and he's going to be a New York Jet. You guys understand all of this when you want to make fun of Patrick Mahomes, right, which.
Speaker 2: By the way, how is there no tampering charges on the Jets at this point? I mean like it is so blatant.
Speaker 1: Boomer Issiasin is not employed by the Jets. That's fair. Dan is not employed. That's fair.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's all right, Yeah, you're right. Listen, Let's Boomer is employed by the Giants. I stand corrected. It is Rogan and Rodney here on AM five seven e LA Sports. By the way, Saturday, August third Boxing World Championship, it returns to Los Angeles with Terrence Crawford Bud Crawford versus Israel Madramoff taking place at BMO Stadium and featuring Pitbull Cruise and Andy Ruiz, along with three championship fights and the card and a special performance by Fred's Guy Eminem a Detroit. Guy eminem is going to be there. Get your tickets now at Ticketmaster. I mean, listen, if you're looking for a peek into the future here, If you want to know what a couple of teams in this town are going to do this upcoming season, don't go anywhere. That's yours. Next here at AM five seven e LA Sports