Speaker 1: All right, what's going on? Drivetime Wednesday afternoon. We're looking at about nine minutes past the hour, two o'clock. It is another beautiful day outside. It is about fifty two degrees clear and sunny here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, as it is every single day.
Speaker 2: It is good to have you along for the ride.
Speaker 1: Spence checkets Beyond the Mike, Porter Larson Beyond the Glass today on this hunt Day edition of the program, this Wednesday edition of the program. You are halfway through your work week, You're one day closer to the weekend, and the madness of March is upon us. We've got the ACC Tournament second round action going on right now in the studio, North Carolina with a twenty point lead.
Speaker 2: Over Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Iowa State took care of Cincinnati earlier in the Big twelve Championship second round action, which means Iowa State advances onto the quarterfinals where tomorrow Iowa State will be looking for a little bit of payback. It is Iowa State and it is BYU. That's going to be a ten to thirty a m start that will be on it ESPN two or ESPN Plus.
Speaker 2: In Big Twelve tournament action.
Speaker 1: So we'll get you all the latest from the conference tournaments going on. We'll do a little bracketology update. How many Big twelve teams are high speed ahead of the tournament. What does it mean for the seeding for BYU. Utah State clearly in the mix to make the NCUBA Tournament, So we'll get to the latest with the local stuff. The University of Utah will not go to the tournament and will not have postseason basketball.
Speaker 2: In their reality.
Speaker 1: It's been nine years, nine years, nine times Ferris Bueller for those jet exers out there since the Utah Utes made the NCUBA Tournament. They had a twelve point lead there in the first half, then everything fell apart. Ucf ran away eighty seven to seventy two, and Utah basketball done for the year. So now we talk about what's next and what's next under the new head coach for the Utes, Alex Jensen, the seventeenth head coach in Utah men's basketball history. Little insight on the program today about how this all went down a little bit of new information we're going to bring to you on the program. A phone call that sealed the deal to bring Alex Jensen back home to coach the ute, So stay tuned for that. Utah Jazz are back at action tonight. They're taking on the Memphis Grizzlies. It is a jam pack night of NBA action after a little bit of a quiet night at least for March.
Speaker 2: In pro basketball.
Speaker 1: Last night, Cleveland Cavaliers won their fifteenth straight basketball game. Donovan Mitchell continues to be incredibly impressive. So a little bit of NBA action last night, but not a lot. There's not a ton So we get a full slate of NBA basketball tonight while you're waiting for the local stuff. As far as the college game goes, you can tune into the Jazz and the Grizzlies tonight.
Speaker 2: The latest with.
Speaker 1: The NFL offseason carousel, My goodness, a lot of NFL news to get to on the program today. We've got a good NFL guest to get to the free agent stuff, which officially began today, but unofficially the information came spilling in about forty eight hours ago. The San Francisco forty nine ers are gutting their roster to prepare to pay Brock Purdy. The reality of being an NFL fan is once that rookie deal is up. You got to pay the quarterback, which means talented players must be moved on from So.
Speaker 2: We'll get to the latest.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 1: Utah Hockey Club back in action tonight. They're taking on Anaheim. They are technically still alive for the wild card. I don't want to be the wet blanket, but I don't think it's going to happen this year. Bill Armstrong, friend of the show, very intentional with his process, very intentional with how he's got about building this thing up.
Speaker 2: So we'll do a little hockey on the program today.
Speaker 1: Midweek means we're a little bit closer the weekend, which means we're a little bit closer to the next match for Reale Salt Lake RSL on the road, taking on Houston, a road trip that has not spread a lot of results historically speaking for this soccer club, and right now it is not a great time for RSL fans after a really, really pathetic start to the season. Quite frankly, do a little RSL on the program today. Is Aaron Rodgers high speed ahead to be the next quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's your latest rumor. So we'll get to a bunch of a bunch of different topics on the show today. We'll kind of bounce around a little bit over the next four hours of Live Sports Sook Radio. We'll start things off today with Sean Moody, who is on the call for US former Ute calls games next to Bill Riley as our colored analyst, So Sean was on the call last night. We'll do a little bit of a oh bit as the Utah basketball season came to an unceremoniously end last night, and then we'll kind of look to what's next. As Sean has not joined the program since it became official that Alex Jensen is high speed ahead to come back home and coach the University of Utah, So we'll get Sean's thoughts on that right off the bat. We're gonna bring it Aaron Shaft to talk some NFL latest with the NFL free agency latest with the quarterback carousel, Sam Darnold to Seattle to Seahawks. Choose Sam Darnoald over Gino Smith. What's the next? Aaron Rodgers justin fields to the Jets. I guess Aaron Shatz will stop by. Sarah Todd covers the You Todd Jazz for the Deseret News five years ago. Yesterday, the NBA and then the world shut down as a result of COVID. As a result of the lockdown, Rudy Gobert test positive. The Jazz are down to OKC. Sarah was part of the traveling party, if my memory serves me correctly, so she'll stop by.
Speaker 2: We'll do a little story time, some memories.
Speaker 1: With Sarah Todd, and then the head coach, the manager of RSL Good vibes guy, but I'm a results over vibes guy, Pablo.
Speaker 2: Master you when he stops by.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to get with Pablo today to see if he's concerned about the start of the season for his little soccer club and what's next starting coming up this weekend against Houston. So Sean Mooney, Aaron Shatz, Sarah Todd, Pablo Master, Jenning, Me Spence Checkets, I'll be the great listeners.
Speaker 2: Happy Wednesday, Happy fifty.
Speaker 1: Two degrees sunny and clear Wednesday, as some snow and rain is high speed ahead for the weekend. Me Spence Checket's all be the great listeners. That guy Porter Larson auDA Wednesday afternoon. I gotta say I feel like the way that Utah lost that game last night was kind of an embodiment of the season, and I think it was just time.
Speaker 2: To get this thing over with.
Speaker 1: It would have been fun to see him maker Rod, but if we're being real, I think it was probably time just to let's put this one behind us now, let's focus on what's next.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think that's that's kind of where everyone's at. That's where the program is, and that's, you know, as you said, kind of how last night felt. It encapsulated where the program is now. From what I understand, there is a potential of them accepting one of the like obscure tournament invites. They actually are probably going to do that if they if they get the invite, but again, as you said, results means in the NCAA tournament, in the Big twelve tournament, and it just didn't feel like we were going to get that. Even though I liked the fight, I liked the energy from this team to kind of finish up off the year, go out fighting against BYU. You know, it never seemed like the team totally gave up, but they did run out of gas. They kind of ran out of energy there and credited Josh eiler in the crew for not letting the wheels fall off. But yeah, you turn the page, you look to what's next, And what's next for this program is something a lot of folks on the Hill and a lot of folks in Salt Lake City are pretty excited about.
Speaker 2: No doubt, No doubt.
Speaker 1: So it's always fun to have some optimism, and I think Alex Jensen has brought that optimism to this market.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to it on the program today.
Speaker 1: Sean Mooney will be our first guest right out of the gates on this Wednesday afternoon. But before we get to Sean, courtsy if our good friends, you're good friends too at Prize Picks. It is time now on a Wednesday, for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check its on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Here's the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: So Big twelve Tournaments Big twelve Men's Basketball Tournament. It was the first four a in to Big twelve tournament play for the Utah Utes, taking on the UCF Knights, the team that beat them in Orlando just a few weeks back.
Speaker 2: It was the final game for Craig Smith.
Speaker 1: After that loss in Orlando, Craig was shown the door and last night at Big twelve Championship Kansas City, Phillip sixty six shout out to the sponsor.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear.
Speaker 1: In Kansas City, the UCF Knights were able to really run away from the Utes after a solid start to the game, so Utah was up twelve in the first half. They were really utilizing their massive size. The starting lineup. The coach Eyler marched out, the smallest player was Gabe Matts and Gabies six' five and he's all of six to five and he's a big body, kid and he was the smallest player in that starting.
Speaker 2: Lineup and it was working for a.
Speaker 1: While a lot of rim, runs left of, dives a lot of, dunks a lot of, layups a lot of driving, kicks a lot of aggressive. Play early they were dominating the glass early lost and had some good dunks and good. Layups Keana daz was an animal and we'll get To kano in a, minute but they were crashing the, glass they were getting layups and. Dunks they were not relying on the outside shot because quite, frankly they're not a great three point shooting. Team and then After utah went up, Twelve Johnny dawkins went, zone and then everything changed Because utah does not have outside Of gabe and Probably Hunter, erickson they don't have a lot of big time three point shot. Makers Merro little had a really good game Against Brigham. Young he struggled last. Night he did hit one, three but he fouled out in twelve minutes of. Play so Coach eiler tried to. Adjust he tried to essentially tinker with a couple of different lineups to match up with that zone defense and counter What Johnny dawkins. Did but nothing was working because they could not hit the broadside of a barn Shrov jamps was zero of six from. THREE i actually thought it was gonna be work that because my man was jacking up.
Speaker 2: Threes he just could not hit a. Shot gabe was only two of.
Speaker 1: Nine as a, team there were four of twenty six from, three AND ucf essentially was daring them to shoot it because it was the attacking the glass attacking the painted, area As Huge brown would, say getting dunks and layups that Allowed utah to get off to that twelve point.
Speaker 2: Lead and then defensively it just wasn't good.
Speaker 1: Enough Keishawn hall had twenty, three he shot fourteen free, Throws Darius johnson had twenty and ULTIMATELY ucf was able to utilize a defensive. Adjustment they got a random good game out Of Jordan Ivory. Curry you had fifteen points off the, bench and he was questionable prior to the start of the. Game weren't even sure if he was going to be able to actually, play but he gave them a little bit of a shot of, life and after that twelve point lead in the first, HALF ucf runs away with. It so as porter, reference there are some obscure postseason tournaments maybe on the table for Coach eilert and This Utah utch, team but for all intents and, purposes the season ends once. AGAIN i, mean for, me the standard that we should hold this program to is THE Ncaa tournament every single.
Speaker 2: Year that's just my. Opinion is that reality probably.
Speaker 1: Not but If utah basketball is going to get back to where we're used to seeing it be at least back in the day for those of us who were around when it was good year and in year, out every single, year they should, be if not making the, tournament knocking on the door to be considered as an automatic qualifier if you don't win The Big Twelve, Championship and if we're, honest they're not close to. That so the conversation turns to now what's? Next And tim, McMahon who joined our show On, tuesday who covers The Dallas mavericks FOR, espn reported That Alex jensen will finish the season with The Dallas, mavericks but has been given complete permission in karte blanche from the ownership of The MAVs to do what he needs to do to hit the ground running here In Salt. Lake tim reported That alex was at The Big Twelve. Championship he was going to be there for the. TOURNAMENT i didn't see him shown on. Television IF i missed, IT i was fast forwarding through a lot of. Commercials MAYBE i missed a screenshot here or. There but if You're Alex, jensen what did you see last night and what does that mean about how you would like to? Proceed last minute bad news For, utah WHICH i didn't even know was a. Thing ezrasar got hurt Against Brigham, young and right as they started the, broadcast the very first shot that the camera captured Was ezra on the bench in street. Close so he did not go last. Night, Now Kianu daz got the. Start the counter does storyline as the season has unfolded After craig was let go has been probably the most fascinating thing that we could talk about with his. Team and, LOOK i don't know if it's just as simple As Josh eilert Liking kiano does more Than Craig smith Liked kiano. DOES i have no insight, here but the fact of the matter is After josh took over For, craig the splits were. Following so the three games prior To craig's, Firing kiata played fourteen, minutes twelve, minutes and seventeen, minutes and the games after that twenty six, minutes twenty three, minutes twenty one, minutes twenty one, minutes and thirty eight. Minutes yesterday last night he played thirty eight. Minutes he had twenty one, points he had fifteen. Boards both of those were career highs. Now he's got some limitations, Offensively he's not super. Skilled WHAT i love is he tries to dunk. Everything he's got a lead, athleticism lead. Athleticism he's got intense ability to. Attack he's always playing with an aggressive. Nature doesn't shoot it well from the, outside doesn't handle it very. Well he's not a, playmaker but he is a dog as an. Athlete and twenty one, points fifteen boards in thirty eight. Minutes he had fifteen points and eleven rebounds AGAINST. Asu he had eighteen points and ten boards Against. Arizona so in three of the five games The keano's played in After craig was fired And josh took, over he's had a double. Double and if You're Alex, jensen did you see that, athleticism did you see that aggressive? Mentality and did you say to, yourself that's a kid THAT i would like on my roster next. YEAR i Mentioned ezra who is a junior eligible to come back next, Year Hunter, erickson a. Senior you, know you kind of tipped the cap To, hunter who had a couple of years At Brigham young went he went tassel slick and played some. Hoops then came here and did a good job in his. Role so we say goodbye To Hunter. Erickson we say goodbye To Caleb, lohner who took the path less traveled by starting his career For larry here At, utah heading down to play For Market Brigham, young going down to play For Scott drew At, baylor coming back To utah to play football and, basketball and Now caleb is going to go try his hand at pro. Football lost and lovering tip of the cap big that really developed and turned into a very solid.
Speaker 2: Pivot he takes off as a.
Speaker 1: Senior Gabe matts In leeds campus is the all time leading three point shot maker In utah.
Speaker 2: History his Brother mason also a. Senior Shrav jamps is a.
Speaker 1: Junior he's got great measurables at six,' nine there are a lot of holes in. His game he's a league guard that doesn't shoot it well from. The outside do you believe in? His evolution do you think you can? Keep Improving Is alex jensen interested In having Mike shrav jamps back on campus. Next Year jake walaleen is the Other player i'd. Point out jake had some moments in the first half it was not his. Finest game he had, Seven points he had four assists in twenty. FIVE minutes i missed all three of his three, point shots but nobody could hit the broad side of a barn from three. Last night so those are the players that If You're, alex jensen if you're At the big twelve tournament and you're following, this program of which Of course, alex does you're kind of debating whether or not you know you want them on the roster. Next year we'll get back to THIS because i do have some insight on the process that Led to alex accepting, the job some new INFORMATION that i was able to uncover over the past twenty. Four hours we'll get to that coming up in a. Little Bit sean moody is going to be our first guest right out of. The gates but before you catch, A break i got to tell you about my Friends At, prize picks which is the best place to get a real money. Sports action with over ten million members and billions of dollars in, Awarded Winnings prize picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible. To all you just picked more or less out at least two players for a shot to going up to one thousand times.
Speaker 2: Your cash you can run your game all season Long On.
Speaker 1: Prize picks it's very easy to do and if you've been interested in getting into the world of kind of betting, on sports this is the way to do it because you don't have to worry about all the terminology that can. Be confusing all you do and will Use tonight's jazz game as. An example jazz are taking On The. Memphis Grizzlies so jah morant more or less than twenty three point. Five points walker casters are more or less than two point five blocks something. Like that you pick more or less and if, you're right you can win up to one thousand times. Your money it's as simple, as that and they're giving you, free money so you may as well take advantage. Of that Download The prize picks, app today use the PROMO code espn, seven hundred and when you place your first five, dollars bet you're going to be rewarded with an extra fifty dollars. Completely free you don't even have to win the five, dollars bet you just get the fifty bucks with our good friends At, Prize picks so Download That prize picks. App today use that PROMO code espn. Seven hundred you get fifty dollars when you just play your first five dollars bet with our good Friends At.
Speaker 2: Prize picks run your game all.
Speaker 1: Season long utah basketball season for all intents, and purposes comes to an end last NIGHT Against ucf Big, twelve championship, first round eighty seven to. Seventy two we'll see if they accepted INVITATION to i don't know whatever is NOT The ncaa tournament OR the nit OR the cbi or whatever a series of letters you want to. Put together not sure if that's going to, go down but our next guest may have. Some Insight Sean mooney, Wednesday, Afternoon Sean, happy, wednesday sir how are?
Speaker 3: You pace? Take it? I'm good how, are you?
Speaker 2: My brother, i'm, Well man.
Speaker 1: I'm well so let's just start in a vacuum with what you saw. Last night, you know the start was, pretty encouraging and that starting Lineup That josh eiler marched, out there a bunch of big dudes in the, you know the straight line dives to, the rim the ability to have some pocket passes in, the interior layups and donks led them to a twelve point lead And Then johnny dawkins go zone and it kind of all. Falls apart but, Tell, me sean what you saw from?
Speaker 3: Your, seat, yeah, no, kids job you did good to.
Speaker 6: Be scribing do you have any time for extra fellow work on. THE air i know you spend a lot of time on.
Speaker 3: THE radio i want all, Of.
Speaker 2: IT sean i want a breakdown.
Speaker 6: For you you'd, Be, good. NO listen, i, mean so here's. The deal we were really good in that in that. FIRST half ucf is not typically a, good Defensively and i've got to give them a little. More credit LAST night i got a little over my SKIS because I think i. Was frustrated so that, First Half kuana does comes in. Picks up obviously we're really missing as right as is such an integral part of. Our team but we looked a little Different with as out in the sense that we do run a little more emotion and we get a lot of back cuts at. THE ram, i, mean gosh we probably, HAD like i, don't know ten dunks in that. First Half kunta does alone probably ripped the rim off four or five times total in, the game and then they went to his ZONE late ucf did and THERE'S zone i was calling it pretty. SIM books i was frustrated last night in. The air it's a little more complicated, than simple meaning that they look like during a two, three zone and they'll show that through an, entire series or they'll go box, in one or they'll go matchup out. Of it so it's a little more complicated THAN even i was saying.
Speaker 1: Last night so what's fair to say about the lack? Of Adjustments When johnny dawkins did go to that, excuse me did go to, that zone, and yes he would stagger it up top and then they'd break into a, matchup zone and it was it certainly was more complex than simply a straight two to three or a one to, three one even though it times had looked.
Speaker 2: Like that but it took the it took the error out of the Tires for.
Speaker 1: Utah offensively is it lack, of adjustment sean or is it just not having the personnel because they could not hit the broadside of? A?
Speaker 6: Barn, YEAH yeah, I mean i mean you've kind of got to say. IT'S adjustments i want to say. Adjustments first so against, the zone there are lots of things that you. Can do, and again like give uc a credit because it wasn't just. A three but, you know obviously we got a lot of what's Called a. Jordan cutter we got a catch in the paint free throw line to restrict, a circle and we made. An adjustment We put hunter, in there And when hunter was, in there he was a little. More Aggressive when laws was getting, that catch it wasn't quite. As good, you know they're kind of begging him to shoot, from there and we didn't really change it side. To side we kind of got stuck in that catch in.
Speaker 3: The paint we didn't go.
Speaker 6: Short corner we did go deep corner a couple, of times And like jake while lean early had it wide open three and you kind of hope you make one of those because and then it Maybe makes dawkins think. About IT and i Talked to you've probably heard THIS because i know You Follow coach larson came on after.
Speaker 3: The Show.
Speaker 6: Tyler larson, great coach, great kid great. Young man everyone was a kid. To, Me Sorry, coach larson and he, just said, you know it doesn't even really matter what we didn't do against his own because we couldn't defend Him and. He's right we could not defend them in the. Second half and we talked about loading up, the paint meaning helping On The darius, johnson drive helping On The, kishan hall not Not Fouling, kishan hall and.
Speaker 3: We just didn't get. It, done spence we couldn't get it. Done defensively, ALL.
Speaker 2: Right i want to ask You About kana.
Speaker 1: Kanu does first, Of, all sean could you dunk it back in.
Speaker 3: THE day, i, mean yeah but not. In, traffic okay.
Speaker 6: There's a difference between dunking and dunking. And trafficking keana does obviously can do.
Speaker 1: That well THE reason i bring it UP is i always said that it's a GOOD thing i couldn't dunk The way keanu, could dunk BECAUSE if i, COULD dunk i would only try to dunk EVERY time i got. THE ball i would try to dunk it. Every time AND what i Love about keanu is he tries to dunk it every.
Speaker 2: Single time he wants to take.
Speaker 1: Your, soul now three of the five Games after josh took Over, for craig he put up, double doubles and he had a career high in both points and boards last night with twenty one. AND fifteen i don't want to be as reductive as To say josh likes him more. Than whatever but why do you think we waited this long and kind of unleashed?
Speaker 2: This, Weapon.
Speaker 6: Complicated but the main reason Probably why katie didn't play as Much with craig is.
Speaker 3: DEFENSIVE assignments i would.
Speaker 6: Say that you know sometimes and he's. A sophomore he played a Year, at RICE and i think He Was all, league academics so certainly FROM an, iq standpoint he's capable of understanding. The assignments sometimes what happens, with coaches and this is just my assumption based ON what, i saw is, you know he got in the doghouse because of. His assignment he missed his, assignments defensively and then also maybe he was a. Little tentative you can certainly see the confidence that he has and that he's been playing WITH and i would say as a Whole, after CRAIG and I think craig Is in hawaii, right NOW so i hope he's. ENJOYING himself I asked landon and he said that's where it was good. FOR him i think they some of those kids felt a little more on Agshells Around coach smith in, terms of, you know when they made, a mistake and sometimes as the coach is hard to get him back into the flow. Of things, but, man yeah. He's blossomed and YOU and i talked about this early, early ON and i TOLD you I thought kadi was an important part of. Our team and it's turning out that he may have the highest cilien.
Speaker 3: Of anybody and that's.
Speaker 1: Saying something any any other takeaways from your eye after watching this, this team When when craig was, let go and And and josh. Took over any other, schematic changes lineup changes that stood out to you outside Of elevating giano and letting him play more minutes.
Speaker 6: And not not, not entirely there were a couple Of Different coach larson did a lot of the side out and. End outs they ran. Similar STUFF but i do think that you saw the schematic difference That Really coach eyler talked about was punching it in, the paint trying to get into. The paint that that, was successful and even though we won the paint, last night there were other things that we. DIDN'T win i do think that the kids intensity AND practice i we got to see probably their last practice of, the, year possibly, you know depending on which which acronym we get if we. Get one and the intensive level was. Very high bill has seen more practices and he was especially talking. About it we we had as a team When under coachmanjaris an intensive live that. Was insane by the time we got to, a game our starters were ready to play anybody other. THAN us i think that that that floated well for them in terms of preparing for what was coming.
Speaker 3: Their way, all.
Speaker 1: Right before we get to, What's next let's give some of these young men a little bit of love who deserve it as.
Speaker 2: They kind of kind of kind of walk out.
Speaker 3: The door.
Speaker 1: YOU know i said this last Year After brandon. CARLSON graduated, i said, you know any youth fan should Always Remember brandon carlson as a youthe legend because he, stuck around he, played well, he grew, he evolved, he improved and now he's making money in. Pro BASKETBALL and i think we should say the same Thing. About Gabe About. Gabe, MATTSON now I think gabe himself would tell you this year did not go the way. HE wanted i continue to remind people almost on a, daily basis if you're just looking at, his splits if you're just looking at, his numbers you probably think he had a pretty. Down year AND like, i said by his, own accord my guess is he would say that, he did but every team sold out to. Stop him but He leaves utah basketball as the leading three point shot maker in the history of, the program which certainly. Isn't, Nothing, sean so as You watched gabe the past, few years what do you have to say about him as he exits.
Speaker 6: The, program yeah it is certainly. Not nothing there's so many things to Say. About gabe but LAST night i was saying this on, The, air gabe he just struggled with they shot, This, Year spence and, you're right he was top of the list in terms of teams trying to defend him and. Stop him and that kind of changed.
Speaker 3: A little bit towards the end of the, year because like, you said his percentages weren't. The same he lost.
Speaker 6: His competence he kind of got in an alex shooters and do but he never ever stopped being, a leader in particular with. His Defense often gabe was defending the other shooter on the other team or their. BEST player i, would say like the Biggest improvement gabe had from year one to, last night it's his defense and his desire and he was such a Good leader spence on so, many levels a quiet. Even killed, you know every team Needs A gay matson because he you can always look to him and expect to get something out of him on.
Speaker 3: Every possession and he.
Speaker 6: Did that, last night even though he didn't shoot a great till the. Very end he hit a couple and he had some wide open threes and you know he missed the layup and it was tough. WATCHING him i mean there's always some SADNESS because, i mean when, the ends then that's that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: For everybody what.
Speaker 1: About Loss And lowson lovering who clearly evolved, and improved and You know craig And, coach eilert they ran a lot of their offense through him because of his size and because of. HIS skill, i mean he really is a skilled, you know the free throw stuff is what.
Speaker 2: It is but, You KNOW lowton i.
Speaker 1: Think leaves here with his head, held high and, his father a very vocal social, media presence, you know points Out that lawson will leave with his, confidence intact his head held high and also. His degree So as losson exits, The, program sean what do you have to say?
Speaker 3: ABOUT him i love what his.
Speaker 6: DAD said I think i actually reposted that because we spent.
Speaker 3: You know this year in.
Speaker 6: This business in, the, end man these, are people right and get in a degree is what. IT'S about. I, mean NOW everyone i think has a different idea about whether they think that's.
Speaker 3: What's about but.
Speaker 6: Certainly, for me for, my family that degree has made a. BIG difference I think losson gave his heart and. His soul he's a kid who plays with a lot. Of passion he learned how to temper that a. Little bit, you know he's the kind of kid that would get balled hard and then, you know come running back up the floor and throw himself. Into somebody he got better and better. At that he was under a lot of pressure. This year you could really see In the uston game because as we use him as. A valve we used him as a valve in, our offense which means he would come get, a Catch and houston decided not to sag off of him but to put pressure on him as. A passer and, you know every other team did. SOMETHING different byu did the. Same thing they didn't, sag off and then, You, KNOW laws, i, THOUGHT honestly i thought he got. Better inside but one of the strengths Of a big twelve coaching style is they give a kid what they think he, can't make and so sometimes they.
Speaker 3: TEMPTED him.
Speaker 6: I thought my favorite thing about him at the end of the season and half half part of, the season at last half part of the season was he would look at the basket and his defender would be helping on somebody else as or somebody and he'd.
Speaker 3: Take one dribble. And dunk.
Speaker 6: You know that was kind Of the that was the famous The good laws going strong to.
Speaker 1: The hoop Last player i'll ask you about then we'll, move on, excuse me move on to. What's Next hunter erickson spent a couple of YEARS, at byu goes to Solid. COMMUNITY college i don't know who he thinks he is with that put back DUNK. AGAINST byu i didn't know he had that, In him like, goodness gracious But his hunter exits. The program kind of. Same question what would you say?
Speaker 6: About, him, YEAH yeah i mean another great. Kid man he never needed the limelight or. The spotlight he tried to defend as high level as. He could he was. Really physical he's a really. Nice, kid yeah. Super ethletic that's gonna be One that i'll. Not forget BILL and i could not believe it was a big. Time, dunk yeah in. My dreams And then hunter just he's all about.
Speaker 3: The. Team man he didn't care if he would.
Speaker 6: Say this, YOU know i don't care where he, used me how you. USE me i just want to be a part of. The team and he truly. Meant that and, You, know hunter he does have a year left now because of the new ruling with the junior college. Not COUNTING oh I, Think, HUNTER yeah I think hunter is a classic example Of a. UTAH kid i get to say This because I'm from utah who had a successful but not like.
Speaker 3: Over the top. College basketball, all.
Speaker 1: Right one, more question you're ACTUAL because i forgot to Ask you gabe's. Basketball future what DO you i don't know if HE'S an. NBA guy i wasn't Sure About, sam merrill And obviously sam has proven. Me wrong he's not JUST an. Nba guy he's a champ and he's making a lot. Of money but do You think gabe's basketball future includes, you know the ability, to uh, you know play somewhere for.
Speaker 6: A paycheck, i mean he definitely can play somewhere for. A paycheck i don't think that's going to BE. The Nba sam merrill is a good playmaker on top of a very good shooter and maybe, you know, more athletic which is. SAYING something. I think this is my. PERSONAL opinion I think gabe's knees aren't one. HUNDRED percent i think we saw him fight through some stuff that no one really ever. Talked About and i'm not saying that he's got an injury or anything, like THAT but i would say that he can definitely make, a paycheck and they're a lot of fun overseas places to. Do that if he had shot it more consistently this year and or if he goes if he gets, an invite, you know and he shoots it, really well you got to HAVE one nba skill and if that, WAS it i think maybe last year he came out with a little more pop in his shot than he did. This year but he can definitely make a paycheck if he wants.
Speaker 1: To somewhere, tim McMahon who Covers The dallas MAVERICKS for espn joined the Show on tuesday and Reported That alex jensen was going to be At the big.
Speaker 2: Twelve tournament did you, See, HIM sean.
Speaker 3: I did, see, Him yes.
Speaker 6: SUNDAY night i got, there Early and sunday night he And coach islert were coming off the out of the ELEVATOR and, I, said hi, gave him, you know dapped him up a little bit now and he kind of. Knows me but, you KNOW like i tell, YOU this i was, no GOOD but i was one of the first Guys In coach macjeris's walk, on hierarchy and so, You know i'm the guy who would go go up down, to say, you, know wow it's just nice to. Meet you he was very time he was there with. THE kids i talked to the. COACHES afterward i think there was some mixed emotion, about that, you know for him and for the coaches and. The athletes great that he. SHOWED up i. Love that not an easy situation. For anybody BUT then i think He left. Monday morning he wasn't at the tournament.
Speaker 2: As FAR as. I, know, oh okay.
Speaker 1: Ten, Four well i'm just wondering because my, guess, is well whether he was there. Or not i'm sure he watched. The game and my Guess Is kano dawes might catch. His eye my Guess Is ezra sar might catch. His Eye Or jake Waaleen Or shrab jams could not hit a shot, last night but he's six, or nine there's some measurables, to like or maybe even the mirror. Little kid any thoughts on who potentially could return to Play for alex, Next, YEAR.
Speaker 6: Yeah, i Mean If, i'm alex, you KNOW obviously i want to come in with, my BLUEPRINT what i think is best for, the PROGRAM what i think is going to be best for myself and my, coaching staff and obviously you got to get your coaching together as soon. As possible, and yeah absolutely he. Was WATCHING and i think the vibe from the kids was that he was. Easy going we know That about alex and that they felt comfortable. Around him so that's a.
Speaker 3: Good, Thing yeah KEANA does, I Mean i'm I'm a.
Speaker 6: Kadi fan i'm an as Fan As ezra alser brings. Joy man he is just a. Joyful kid and Other Than, keishawn hall he probably made people found him more. Than anybody that's probably, not accurate but he's in the top four as Far as Miro and Mike. And Jake jake wilelean did everything for us. This year he was a great. Utility player he needs to continue to work on his shot to get better because that's going to make. A difference but he was a great. Defensive player he's a legit. Six' ten mike's. GOT the Measurables i want mike to be maybe a shooting guard more than a point.
Speaker 3: Guard next year.
Speaker 6: IT'D be Great i hope alex has exactly what he wants in his head and, maybe you know some of those kids want to say and we'll.
Speaker 3: See HIM again so i.
Speaker 1: Know you've already referenced That you and alex aren't best, bugs or anything, but you know ultimately you guys do share, something in common and you Both played for rick and you Both ultimately are. Utah BASKETBALL lum and i like to think that's a family and a fraternity where you kind of all are in the same little pie or. What HAVE you, So, i wonder sean if you could illuminate us a little bit the reaction that you had and then the community that you kind of find yourself a part of when the news Became official that alex.
Speaker 6: Was, THE guy, yeah i mean, First of all. I'M super, excited i, was you know watching With coach Early Wine and coach connor that. Ninety eight final we made It Down to san Antonio and begg dwayne into. A hotel ROOM at. Least i did Connor And coach early. Wine Has something coach earline was one, of My Coaches and coach connor is my best man, in my wedding and we're we're absolutely close. To the friends, and you know we we we've Been Cheering for alex jensen for.
Speaker 3: A long time. We like him He's everything that utah basketball and coach.
Speaker 6: Mcjerifs was about He is. The paris mccurty you're not going to. Know the name he Played a Ball state of utah men's Basketball For coach coach majeris would always talk to us about, His Previous Player sidney, moncree paris mccurty and we had to hear about how. Tough, they were well that Is Absolutely who. Alex jensen is and if you're going to have a team coached by a person that has that persona he's. THE perfect, GUY i mean i don't know that you could hire anyone more than will connect the pass to the present and bring us.
Speaker 1: A New future so I'm Told, That andre miller i'm told that that is. In the works i'm not Going to say i'm told, that it's done but, conversations Are ongoing and i'm told that there's mutual Interest In. Making andre Miller, IF not alex's i would imagine he would be.
Speaker 2: THE lead assistant. I Don't.
Speaker 1: Know and, sean for me as, a gen Xer as a utah basketball fan and student, in the nineties the cachet and credibility you have when you walk into A Gym with andre miller on your, bench is like that, makes, Me excited Right and maybe i'm just of, a certain age and maybe the youngs don't really understand what a bad.
Speaker 2: Boy he was but give.
Speaker 1: Me your thoughts If, It is andre if They Land on Andre miller is, alex's lead assistant what do you?
Speaker 3: MAKE of, that, I mean yeah i.
Speaker 6: Hope IT is Also, i mean. Andre he's special he came into the program and your.
Speaker 3: Listeners are probably old enough.
Speaker 6: To know this HE was at, prop forty eight which means he had to sit out his first year and. Concentrate on school and, he did it and he came in and he and his mom were a huge Part of the university of.
Speaker 3: You talk community.
Speaker 6: He's the best i'm going to put him at the top of my list Form my favorite utah. PLAYER as, ever i mean he was a. Rebound down guard if, anything went wrong he e rectified it immediately on. The defensive end he had. A great, body i mean, just YOU know a i, would say like if You You have Alex Jensen and andre miller, and your staff the fans are going to really enjoy. What they see and certainly From a relating andre was in the league for sixteen years as a point guard and a. Good, POINT guard.
Speaker 3: Yeah i just think it's it's gonna.
Speaker 6: Be really helpful, and you know this move towards kind of, the pro style meaning that you bring people in that understand what it takes to get to the next level and what it takes to.
Speaker 3: Be a pro you can bring. That into college we're hearing. All about that.
Speaker 6: Those, Are two obviously alex is Already There and andre miller's been there and HE'S Coaching. The g league it's.
Speaker 3: A dream matchup it's a Dream. MADE in heaven i.
Speaker 1: Agree with you are you hearing any other rumors concerning names as far as filling out? The staff goes any thoughts for our listeners, Who, Are, CURIOUS sean.
Speaker 6: Yeah i, Haven't HEARD anything and I mean that i'm not JUST saying that i, am connected, to you know the team in a way. That IS unique and, I mean basically i know the current staff had a chance to, talk WITH him and i don't know what, those conversations were but you need to bring in some college coaches that have been coaching in college and they know, what's going on and you got to do. That Right away And i'm sure alex is working on, that right now putting, his staff together because We, know this spence it's crazy and it's hard and you got to. Get after it and it's a seven, day a week twenty, four to seven three hundred and too.
Speaker 3: MANY days job I wonder.
Speaker 2: If ALEX would, be, I Mean look josh eiler Played In.
Speaker 1: The big twelve he's been an Assistant In the big twelve at, two different STOPS and maybe i. Just feel bad my guess is he moved his, family out, here, you, know like yeah the transient coaching, life you know LIKE maybe it's, ptsd for me like growing up and moving a bunch of times because my father was. In PRO sports but i was feel bad, for the, FAMILIES you know I wonder if alex would be interested in having a guy that knows the Landscape of the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: Like, JOSH eiler yeah, i love, THAT you know.
Speaker 6: I love THAT i love I think coach. Eiler is great his affect is a little, hard to read so meaning that sometimes he's. KIND of flat i think that's. ALSO his strengths i think he's got a. Lot of, passion you know he's a. Big man coach he would. Consider himself, that but yeah Seventeen Years at west Virginia And, under bob huggins and He Played. At KANSAS state and i just talked to his. Wife last night kids and his wife were coming in and we just talked about how. Hard it, is you know what are the chances two years in a row is an? Interim head, coach you know no one really wants that title because there's just so much pressure and often you're not going to. Get the job he had A Year, at WEST virginia but i like. That a lot but you, know WHAT you and i know Is it's. Ultimately, alex's decision.
Speaker 1: Well and, also as men you walk into a room and you size people up, and you're, LIKE all right i could. KICK his ass i could. Kick His Ass when josh eiler walks, into a gym you know That's. A big yeah you want him, On your side you want him.
Speaker 3: ON your side i. Agree, With, YOU yeah no i wish my. Knee so worked i'd love to. GO out there i know he.
Speaker 6: LIKES to play i know he likes, to PLAY still but i have a filion that we would have fun playing.
Speaker 3: Against each other i'd love.
Speaker 1: To, see that, Hey last Thing sean that i'll sell You loose and I'm gonna play devil's advocate a. Little Bit here and i'm Not necessarily saying I'm right.
Speaker 2: OR i'm wrong i don't.
Speaker 1: Do combative radio this is, not FIRST take but i would be curious to get your thoughts, as an alum because for the, Last Two coaches Larry Kriskoviak, And craig smith i've had alums join the show that have complained that these two coaches Didn't necessarily embrace utah alums the way that they would hope, here's my question is that part of, The JOB description like i have a hard time believing That, if you're larry Or, if you're craig or Now, if you're alex like your job is to, coach this team, it's to recruit it's to build. Up the program it's not to make sure every alum that calls you get gets the most access. They possibly can and this is coming from somebody that Has a very i'll even use the term Reverent.
Speaker 2: Respect for Utah basketball.
Speaker 1: And UTAH alums and i do think part Of maybe restoring utah basketball to glory could be, embracing the community maybe A way That larry.
Speaker 2: And craig didn't but.
Speaker 1: Sometimes those complaints, in my opinion greek of a little, bit of, like you know you're wanting more than a guy whose job it is to focus on his team is willing.
Speaker 2: To give you does, That, Make, sense, sean yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: THAT makes sense i. AGREE with you i. COULDN'T agree more I know the larry.
Speaker 6: Staff REALLY well, Like I said coash connor is, my best man, my Best Friend and DAMARLANE andy and i Got interviewed by larry to do a job that it just. Didn't pan out it. DIDN'T work out i was going to be, the strength COACH and so i Got to know larry.
Speaker 3: A little bit i think.
Speaker 6: YOU'RE right on i think this sum alone like to complain about maybe what they see as, Themselves being slided but most alum. Don't do that but the ones that do do speak out a. Little bit, LOUDER and yeah i do think it's a part. Of THE job and I don't think craig did a good. Job With it and i'm not trying to be, mean TO him but i don't think he ever truly Bought into what Utah is or. Utah Can be and alex, obviously does know and he is very close probably with most of the alum that our fan base would like to know is a part of the community again IN whatever, way i, don't you know showing, up to games showing up for events where fans can, talk to him all that kind, of Stuff matters and alex has got a direct link and he's going to be really, good AT it and i think he's going to. Bring them, back you Know we Know josh and jimmy are coming, back for. Sure among others they're all going to be here and You May see drew hanson.
Speaker 2: In the.
Speaker 3: Stands, who knows now.
Speaker 1: Let's, Not get weird let's. Not get crazy Sean To see. Drew, HANSON'S sense man i. Appreciate your time it's been fun to get to know. You all year would love to swing a golf club with you as the weather improves and, be well.
Speaker 3: Man, travel safe, Okay thanks best thanks for having me. On your time. You Got.
Speaker 1: It sean mooney he's the color Analyst for a utah. Men's basketball broadcast he was a Walk On. For rick majeri some, good insight there as you've tossed season for all, intents and purposes came to an end last Night in The Big twelve tournament ROUND one against ucf eighty seven to seventy two by. You and action tomorrow they're going To Take on iowa state. In the quarterfinals sean brought to you today of Our Friends at Overtime cards and collectibles the addresses one oh six Seven To Three south State. Street in sandy. Here's the deal if you are a man of, a certain age, namely my age maybe in, your mid. Forties all stop there chances are at some point you may have, collected basketball, cards baseball, cards football cards or some sort of sports.
Speaker 2: Memor or billia and chances are as, you grew up you put.
Speaker 1: Childish things away biblical look it up and they might be collecting dust in your attic or your parents. Basement or whatever go grab that stuff and then Go Out to Overtime cards and collectible Because my guy chris is going to go through. It for, you all right it's one oh six to Seven To Three. South state STREET why do i, Tell, you that WELL that's what I did When i heard chris had open. Up his spot He Found A kobe bryant ROOKIE card that i DIDN'T even, Know i had and now it's in a nice plastic cover and it's sitting, on MY mantle and I didn't know i had it in this huge box Of cards that.
Speaker 2: I've had forever so you should.
Speaker 1: Definitely do that you can buy all Your favorites at, overtime as well from rare sports cards to local legends and Hard to. Find pokemon cards start a new fun, hobby of collecting and there's no better spot to Do It than Overtime.
Speaker 2: Cards and collectibles check them Out online.
Speaker 1: At, overtimecardsocollectibles dot com where you can buy your trade or just go check out their, brand new location which Is. Great in SANDY it's, one o six Seven To Three. South state street my Good Friends at Overtime. Cards And, collectibles all right The madness. Of Marge continues Iowa state beat, Cincinnati earlier today round One Of The. Big twelve championship they're going to Advance To play brigan young tomorrow. In the quarterfinals we'll get back to some of this a little, bit later on but, it has, been my goodness a very busy forty eight hours as far as the news cycle in the world. Of pro football good friend, Of The, show aaron shatt stops By on. A, Wednesday, AFTERNOON aaron happy Nfl.
Speaker 2: Free agency wednesday, how, You, Doing man.
Speaker 7: Hey, i'm good yes start of the league year. An hour ago of course we knew all the news for two. Days before, that but yeah.
Speaker 2: Here, we are, here.
Speaker 1: We are indeed so let's just get to some of the moves that have gone down and just kind of. Your instant reaction let's talk About the decision seattle made to Move On from geno smith in The Name. Of, sam darnald aaron what's your take on the quarterback Situation and how seattle decided to go.
Speaker 7: ABOUT this, Process i mean i'm one of the many people Who Questions what sam darnold is going to be able to do without the structure that He. Had, in Seattle sorry In Minnesota with Justin Jefferson and jordan Addison, and PAY howkinson and i don't know who's going to be Playing. Receiver in, seattle you know They Have, a smith njigba And They Signed marquez, valdez scantling today but there isn't a lot of receiving. Talent there now as far as, the Blocking goes the seattle offensive line is, not very Good but the minnesota offensive line was actually not that good in the second half of. The season Either and the seattle offensive Coordinator, is a koubiac so he comes from a similar Tree as. The minnesota offense so, In that way darnold should, be you know it should. Translate fairly well but it was a real surprise when They Traded, away gino smith who, is getting older, but you know has been pretty successful for the last.
Speaker 1: Couple Of Years so san francisco is now moving into the reality the pro football manifest when you've got to pay a rookie quarterback and they're clearing the deck to pay to, put you know To. Pay rock party did they? Miss a window and what do you make of what is going to Happen Next. In, san francisco yeah.
Speaker 7: They've lost a, lot of guys but, not a, ton you know not their. Most important guys for, THE most part. I don't think i think we Should Still see san francisco bounce back with better. Health next year they were the most injured team in the league according to my adjusted games lost stat so they should bounce. Back next, year but yeah, they you know they do have to lose some guys because if you have, to pay party you have other guys. You can't pay and they've lost something like. Ten different guys.
Speaker 1: Tell me your favorite move SO far before i get back to. Some, specific, questions player. Team Best Transaction, ACCORDING aaron Chats I like Joey.
Speaker 7: Boasta the buffalo it's only. For, A year obviously bosa's, had injury issues so you question how healthy he's. Going to be But what does buffalo need more than anything else To Get to patrick mahomes, in the playoffs and, so you know all the edge rush that, they can Add They. Added michael Hoyt They. Added joey bosa all the edge rush that they can.
Speaker 2: Add is good biggest head. Scratcher, So far Eron.
Speaker 7: Oh why Houston Traded. AWAY laramie tunsel.
Speaker 2: I would imagine you like what the commanders are, Doing, so.
Speaker 7: Far yes, somewhat you know they re signed some older veterans. AND that's nice i Don't Know if peebo samuel is going to be as good as they think he's. Going To be jonathan allen is a good player and it's hard to, see HIM go although I will say i talked To someone FROM washington when I was in indianapolis, for the combine and there's a lot of that is. A personality issue It's not that, alan can't play it's that nobody likes, him so honestly he does not get a lug. With his, Teammates, oh wow wow that's sort of the Story.
Speaker 1: THERE with alan i did not Know that The Rams acquire DeVante adams And They. RELEASE cooper cup, i get, IT you know i understand as far as the, Dollars, and cents yeah you have to make.
Speaker 2: These things work but we're not too Far Removed.
Speaker 1: From cooper cup not just being one of the best wide receivers, in pro football but considered one of the best players. In pro football so give, Me your thoughts aaron On what the rams decided to do.
Speaker 2: And what do you think Is Next.
Speaker 7: For, cooper cup yeah the injuries have sapped A. Lot from cup he did really bad last year in ESPN's receiver tracking metrics that are based on, next GEN stats so i don't know how much he's got left. In the tank he's a great guy to take a flyer on and see whether he can get back to the greatness of, three YEARS ago but i don't know. If he can adams is. An interesting addition he is not A. Replacement for cup he's a very different. Kind of receiver he's really The Upgrade, on debarcus robinson who, has gone elsewhere and they're Going to replace cup, in other ways.
Speaker 1: What do you think This it means as far as the continued Growth of pooka nakua local boy who played his high school and college, ball, AROUND here, WELL i.
Speaker 7: Mean i Think everybody agrees pookinakua is one of the best receivers in the, game RIGHT now so i think he's clearly the Established number one he's the number One Guy. In los angeles there's no.
Speaker 1: Question, About, that Well aaron as i've, TOLD you before i am a longtime suffering Fan Of The New, York football jets and you know what is?
Speaker 2: This bottoming out is that?
Speaker 1: WHAT it, Is I mean justin fields a, couple of years, one year rental and then you're trying to potentially draft a quarterback in a what apparently is a good quarterback class in a.
Speaker 2: Couple of years what do You think the jets are trying?
Speaker 7: TO do here i kind of think that that there is sort of this feeling among a lot of, People Because look justin fields does some, really awesome things and so people want to believe that there is this above average quarterback that.
Speaker 3: Is hit it.
Speaker 7: In there somewhere it's, been for years and he was kind of average last year in a, small sample size and he was really bad the three years before that in a much. Larger sample size and the odds that he is a good QUARTERBACK in the nfl after four years. It's really unlikely, and if anything it's really unlikely it'll Happen with the jets because what we've seen, is, the opposite right Guys leave.
Speaker 3: The jets and then.
Speaker 7: They PLAY well so, I you know i think it's Likely that the jets will struggle, and then yeah they'll they'll they'll go after a quarterback in the twenty, twenty six draft which is supposed.
Speaker 1: To, be better yeah oftentimes guys Do leave the jets. AND play well i do wonder what you make of any sort of Potential Future. For zach wilson, who you Know we had zach out here AND during, The Covid year brigham young was able to cobble together A schedule and zach shined against teams, that weren't great, and you know being able to watch him up, CLOSE out here i was very skeptical that he would ever be able TO be, an nfl quarterback let alone for my. Favorite football team didn't Work Out. In new york you spent Some time in denver as. A third stringer now He. Lands in miami do you THINK there's a nfl Future Ahead. For, ZACH wilson, NO i.
Speaker 7: Mean i, think he's, got you know a few more years. As a BACKUP but the covid. Year was weird that was just a. Really weird year the stat scout guys look, At You know trey lance for. Crying OUT loud so I Don't think zach wilson. Has a Future, and certainly, miami you know Two attack of iloa is. The starter there And you know mike McDaniel has had problems adapting when he.
Speaker 2: Has to go.
Speaker 7: To A backup so i don't know how good that's going To be if wilson.
Speaker 2: Has to play where?
Speaker 1: Do you think this Is not, a JETS question but i was at least encouraged they moved On. From throw ROGAN that's What I. Call aaron rodgers where Do You think aaron rodgers is playing?
Speaker 2: Football? Next, year.
Speaker 7: Oh god it sounds like he's going to. END up, somewhere i mean there's a lot of This. WHISPERING about pittsburgh i don't think that he's a good match with, Their Offensive. Coordinator arthur smith he likes to run a lot of under center. Play action stuff rogers doesn't, like doing that and he doesn't like turning his back, to the defense and he wants to Be IN shotgun and i don't think that's, a good marriage but it sounds like that might be the. MOST likely marriage. I don't know i wouldn't he he was a below average. Quarterback last year when you add the questions about what he means to the locker, ROOM and everything.
Speaker 3: I just wouldn't i. Wouldn't Go There.
Speaker 2: If russell wilson Isn't, back in pittsburgh where's he playing? Football? Next year.
Speaker 7: Cleveland maybe there's apparently he had a Meeting WITH the, brown i mean He's Better, than kenny Pickett.
Speaker 2: So maybe cleveland, huh goodness? Gracious all right who else?
Speaker 1: Is out there when YOU look at i mean most of the, big name guys it's already reported that they're that they're kind.
Speaker 2: Of locked up but who else? Is out there they're kind of waiting to. Hear the.
Speaker 7: NEWS wide Receivers I think stefan did, for an example. Is still available i'm trying to think who else. Is Out there draymont jones is. A Defensive tackle cam. Robinson offensive tackles some people think he maynd Up. WITH the patriots a lot of the top free. AGENTS are Gone, i, Mean cup right cup, is now available, So he again cup is a real high floor, sorry low floor high feeling kind. Of a signing you could have to give a lot of money to guys going to do.
Speaker 8: Nothing for you but he.
Speaker 3: Could be awesome you.
Speaker 2: Don't really know what do You think the giants are?
Speaker 1: Going to do you think they're going to play their hand of the draft or they going to take a shot of one of.
Speaker 2: These aging qbs.
Speaker 7: HERE'S the problem i think that a lot of People Feel that shador sanders is not worth the. Top THREE pick, so i Mean if the giants, want a quarterback they if They, want cam ward they really have to trade up To. Get cam ward they really have to make A trade with tennessee and get into the number one spot To. TAKE cam ward i don't know if they're, gonna.
Speaker 3: DO that and i don't know what.
Speaker 7: THE alternative, is i mean they've been linked by Some people to. Rogers as well there just don't seem to be enough starting quarterbacks right now for all the, teams that need for all.
Speaker 2: The love that shador Is getting.
Speaker 1: Cam ward's getting let me ask you about another local project who played his high, school ball Here And, that's jackson darts who seemed to have a pretty good. PRE draft process i don't know if he's played his way into the area of where those, Two were at but what do you make of the pro Future Potential.
Speaker 2: For jackson dart I'LL admit that i don't know.
Speaker 7: That, much about dart but he's, not seen certainly nobody sees him as being. IN the Area i think ward is very clearly, seen As one and sanders has, seen as two and no other quarterback has really seen as a first round.
Speaker 1: Pick this year Speaking, of the giants their former quarterback is Now. With The colts daniel jones Signs with the colts and the reports are he's going To Compete with anthony richardson for. The Starting Job and anthony richardson is a quarterback who we saw here in A town with florida and played the utes a lot of. Intoxicating physical attributes but, IT'S never well i. Shouldn't say never so far our first couple of years hasn't. Really clicked consistently what do you make Of what the colts? Decided to do is just is this, like a hey come show him how to? Be a pro or Do You think daniel jones could?
Speaker 7: GET that, JOB i mean i think they're kind of Trying. To poke richardson They're hoping that richardson claims the. Job and, improves RICHARD said if i believe is still Younger than Cam Ward. And shodor sanders he came, out so young, so you know there's still the possibility that he's going. To REALLY blossom and i think that's what the cults are dreaming is. Going to happen they don't want to Have. To play Jones they want richardson to. Claim that Job they want richardson, to stay Healthy they want. Richardson to improve but this is an insurance policy in case those. THINGS Don't, happen.
Speaker 1: Dk metcalf You referenced earlier seattle kind of getting rid of a. BUNCH of pieces i don't know how this dealer's quarterback is, going to be but If, it is russell will they? Know each other do You think the Steelers going after metcalf is an indicator that maybe they.
Speaker 2: Want, russ back.
Speaker 7: No but it might be an indicator that they want to Move On, from george pickens who only has a year left on his contract and is a very similar style OF Receiver, to dk metcalf only with some issues. With HIS personality so, i you know this may be the sign that that pick they're not Going to resign pickens.
Speaker 2: After this, year all right let's.
Speaker 1: Look ahead, a little bit and obviously we, have the draft and we have plenty, of you know the personnel decisions that are left. To be made you reference some of The decisions the bills, decided to execute, and you Know bringing in Bosa And paying josh allen a. Bowtload of money but if you look through that at the LANDSCAPE of the, afc right now who are just some of the teams based off of who's returning you think have a chance to come out.
Speaker 2: OF the, conference i.
Speaker 7: Mean we're Still, talking about listen the four best quarterbacks PLAY, in the Afc and the bengals. Have defensive problems so the best teams of, the other three Right, it's The, chiefs the Ravens. And, the Bills now the ravens were the healthiest team in the. League last year they are unlikely to be as, healthy next year so they're going to decline. A little bit but they also had some weird losses with some bad luck that they probably aren't going to. Have NEXT year, SO i mean i think those are the top three TEAMS. In the, AFC you know i think when we talk about, competition next year we'll talk about those three teams and then some team we're not expecting. That surprises Us?
Speaker 1: What about, houston you know it was a little bit of a tough sophomore campaign after a GREAT.
Speaker 2: Rookieyear.
Speaker 1: For cj stroud what do you Make of the? Texans next year do you think they continue to move in? The right direction the Struggle.
Speaker 7: For the texans is that they were so built around, defense last year and defense is less consistent and less. Predicted than offense and the offense. Really had problems the offensive line. Really Had problems tank dell probably out for. The ENTIRE season so i see the world in which another TEAM Wins the afc south as Much talent as houston has on the defensive side, OF the ball i think there is an opportunity there For someone like jacksonville to jump up and surprise people. With the DIVISION not That i think jacksonville is going to really compete, for the conference but surprise people.
Speaker 3: In the division moving OVER, to.
Speaker 1: The nfc Where The defending super bowl champs exist with a roster full, of really good. Really young players they paid saque. Of the Offseason is it philly?
Speaker 2: And everybody? Else next year who else you think can throw Punches?
Speaker 8: With?
Speaker 2: THE eagles no i Mean.
Speaker 7: It wasn't philly and everybody, else last, YEAR you, Know i mean philly had a nice run, in the playoffs but. That was great but there are, PLENTY of others i mean strong look First, of all detroit Second Of, all green bay which is very young and was very. Good Last year the rams are Certainly competitive With puka and stafford and their. Young defensive. Line defensive line washington is an interesting. Team to watch minnesota is an interesting. Team, to watch yeah there's no reason to Believe that it's philly and everybody Else just because philly managed to win the Conference In.
Speaker 1: The Super bowl is minnesota's PLAN just now jj McCarthy or are they going to try?
Speaker 6: To?
Speaker 2: Bridge me oh it is okay.
Speaker 7: In it there's Some talk about, rogers GOING there, but i mean why would. You do that if you believe in, your draft process then YOU believe. In jj McCarthy why would You bring in rogers and sit McCarthy.
Speaker 3: For a year it.
Speaker 7: Doesn't make, Sense ALL.
Speaker 1: Right before i, set you loose, Appreciate, The time aaron i'll ask you about the team that most people around here tier four based. Off of, proximity not everybody but we have A Lot of denver bronco fans. In this market So YEAR Two. Bonicks afc west what does it look like Next?
Speaker 7: Year, IN denver yeah I mean if bonnicks can continue to play the way he did in the last three quarters, of the year that. Looks very good their defense. Is very talented they have added a really couple of Nice Pieces with Drake Greenlaw, and talanoa hufanga who both come over from the. Forty NINE ers so i definitely think it looks Good for the broncos to be. Competitive NEXT year when i said that it's probably going To, be The, ravens The, bills the chiefs and one other team that, could surprise you that Definitely, could be denver especially with the defensive pieces.
Speaker 1: That, they're Heading aaron your, twitter bio says once upon a time YOU.
Speaker 2: Were radio dj i've got to know what that.
Speaker 7: Was, ALL about Absolutely, Wbru In. Providence RHODE island W Kro, In. DAYTONA beach florida i did afternoons and was music directors back in nineteen ninety six and ninety seven at the height of. Alternative rock, radio.
Speaker 2: Oh wow what an. Interesting career path where can people go?
Speaker 7: Find Your work erin you can Find me At, ftnfantasy dot com as well as a lot of good fantasy projections for baseball, and other sports FOR football and dfs optimizers and All my Work. Ftnfantasy, dot com.
Speaker 2: Aaron, thank you sir.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the time have, a good, week all, right all right you have a, good week, Too all right aaron shafts busy forty eight hours in the world. Of pro football we're still a few weeks AWAY From, the nfl draft but a lot of players. On the, Move Local boys Cody Barton's, At Tennessee titans Zach Wilson's. To miami dolphin if anything else comes down while, we're on, air of course we'll bring. It to you aaron stops by today courtesy of our Good Friends. At burt brothers with over thirty years of experience in, Nearly Thirty LOCATIONS burt brothers asc certified technicians bring expertise and professionalism't to every interaction industry leading warranties and low, price tire guarantees one stop shot for reliable, repairs and maintenance from tires and alignments to, Fluids and breaks offering a full range of automotive services tailored to. Meet your needs now offering value tire Options such as americas and some at tires starting at just sixty nine dollars with warranties that go up to. Seventy thousand miles as one Of THE few triple a Certified, Shops In utah burt brothers upholds the highest standards. And automotive Service Stop by Burt brothers a tirebusters' locations or schedule an appointment today to experience the trusted service that has Made them a utah favorite for.
Speaker 2: Over Three decades burt brothers doing it better.
Speaker 1: Since day one more information can be Found Online at burt. Brothers Dot com iowa state Took care of cincinnati rather. Easily earlier today cincinnati is actually the last TEAM. To beat byu crazy, THING to Consider i think BYU's won eight straight eight straight games to, finish The season so iowa stayed advances on To Take on brigham young Tomorrow in the. Big twelve quarterfinals as a result of grabbing that top four seed, IN the tournament byu gets that double buy into the quarterfinals, coming up tomorrow and a bevy of college basketball action going. On right, now of course throughout the course, of the Night It is, conference championship week we Will have our We're Doing Our Station, tournament bracket challenge THE one that i win every year on. The, TALENT side, oh i mean if my, memory serves correctly every. Year i've won like what we do, for our listeners you SHOULD go to espn seven hundred. Sports dot com we have all of you fill, out a bracket you, compete against us and then we can see your scores, on one side and then everyone on the station there's a standing on.
Speaker 2: The other side and this is my sixth year the station.
Speaker 1: After coming BACK prior to i spend seven YEARS here, before i Left and now i'm back FOR six and i believe All six.
Speaker 2: Years i've won the station, SIDE of things i very much.
Speaker 4: WON one year.
Speaker 2: I do Know i believe i'm. Five and one then because, you won once.
Speaker 3: It was and it was kind of.
Speaker 4: A fluky one it was like my FUN bracket that i DID on the espn seven hundred side of my serious bracket was. Just completely washed but that's how. It sometimes, goes but yes we are Doing The Million. Dollar bracket challenge it'll BE up on Espn seven Hundred. Sports dot com you actually can go there already and enter and then of course you'll get an email to remind you to fill. Out the bracket so if you want to get an early, start on, it go enter give, us your email give, us your data send it. In to us then, we'll keep it, will harvest it and then of course we'll send you an email for. The million, dollars, calm, down elon geez you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna scare people are you gonna start sending? Out, dosee emails well we're just going to send you, updates on sports just, to be clear and then sell your data. At other companies is that where are we?
Speaker 4: In THE business, can't, I can't really. I'm, not sure well.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear.
Speaker 1: About ONE thing my psa of THE day that i basically do every year on the station basketball knowledge will do no good when it comes to filling. Out a bracket every year ABOUT this time i get some emails and some text from aunts and uncles that have office pools, and, they say hey can? You HELP me and, I say no because it doesn't matter how much college. Basketball you watch this thing is the, ultimate wildcard event WHICH is, why i believe, in my opinion this. Is just me this is the best individual sporting event we have, On Our. Calendar march madness i've loved.
Speaker 2: IT ever since i. WAS a kid i consume it.
Speaker 1: EVERY single year i badly missed The years When university of utah was not just, not just qualifying but. Advancing SEVERAL rounds maybe byu will HAVE a. Fun Ncaa Tournament maybe utah state.
Speaker 2: Makes some.
Speaker 1: Noise who knows but it does not matter how, much you know does not matter how, much you watch you will not get. This thing right so as we get, closer and closer the Tournament starts on, march the nineteenth which is one. Week from today we'll. Get you ready we'll help you. A Little bit ken palmroy is going to be In, studio on friday so he'll. Help you out if there's anyone, to listen to It. Would be Ken So? The big twelve how many tournament Teams Will the? Big twelve get according To This, is jerry palm one. Of the bracketologists the locks right Now In, the big, twelve Of, Course, Are, Houston Arizona Brigham, Young, iowa State Kansas.
Speaker 2: And texas tech those are the lots, On the Bubble Baylor.
Speaker 1: And west virginia And here's what jerry has to Say about. The big twelve, As of now houston on course to be a number one seed for THE third. Straight ncublea tournament houston ran away with, the conference title winning by Four Games. Over texas tech they're going to look To reach the sweet sixteen for THE fifth, straight ncublea tournament but of course have higher. Aspirations Than that calvin Sampson has a national. Championship Contending Squad red raiders iowa stayed in the hunt for a top four. Seed as well It looks, LIKE BYU's well i don't want, to SAY ceiling because byu certainly could go on a run and win some games. And change it but, as of now It Looks like brigham young's gonna be. A, five seed kansas your, preseason number one just to struggle to play. At that level ever since the Calendar, turned to december back to Back losses To, creyton and missouri they have one three game winning, streak since then And that was january fifth, through the eleventh which is right after the first of their. Three home losses THE seed and Byu truck Them KANSAS and provo u ninety One fifty. Seventh february eighteenth that's the worst loss ever handed to a preseason NUMBER one team byu eight game winning streak after that Bad, loss to cincinnati and during that eight GAME winning streak byu as all Of their five. Quad One Wins so west virginia, On the bubble baylor.
Speaker 2: On the BUBBLE.
Speaker 1: Baylor, has vj edgecombe who's a top, five projected pick and If you're, a jazz fan hone in on some of these, projected you know top four. Or Five picks Ace Bailey and dylan harper will not be, in The tournament unless rutgers might. ALREADY be out i haven't, checked The score but rutgers has two of the top three prospects in the land and they're not even going to. Make The tournament so baylor had that HOME, loss to tcu which. Of course stung so we'll See how many big twelve, teams get in and WE'LL see what byu is able To Do against iowa state.
Speaker 3: Coming.
Speaker 2: Up tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Utah, by the way so porter you referenced you're hearing The potential of utah accepting a bid to play in one of. THESE postseason tournaments i don't have any. Insight at all we know it's not GONNA BE The. Nc doublea tournament it's probably not, gonna be well.
Speaker 2: It's not GONNA be.
Speaker 1: The nit tournament do you have any insight on what this tournament? Is Out there the utah is looking at. Potentially, Playing it sorry i'm losing. My well email let's just.
Speaker 2: Look over some.
Speaker 1: OF these, possibilities i mean THERE. Is, the cbi oh you know. What it Is It's The, college BASKETBALL. Crown the cbc. That's, The one yeah So It's The, college basketball crown which is a brand. New, Postseason tournament okay and ACCORDING to what i have in, front Of Me The college basketball crown is added to the. Landscape this year so YOU HAVE The, nc doublea tournament which of course is the tournament everybody wants. To play in it's the main reason college basketball is. Still a, jet you know they. Still generate revenue it's a revenue generating sport Only Because, of march madness which means that if YOU are a p four institution with a basketball pro that's not QUALIFYING For the ncaa tournament And Playing, in march madness you're leaving a lot, On the table like you need a basketball PROGRAM that's an ncaa tournament team more, often than not because if you, don't have that you're losing out on a, lot of revenue losing out on a.
Speaker 2: Lot of opportunity so YOU'VE Got, the.
Speaker 1: Ncublea tournament YOU have the nit which has always kind of, been the backup AND, then The cbi which utah played in not, too long ago And Now The, college basketball crown which is going to BE At The Mgm grand garden ARENA And The t Mobile Arena in Las vegas from March thirty FIRST april sixth i, don't know this but my mind is telling me that is Actually During. The final Four So This college basketball Crown that reportedly utah is in the mix four is, a single elimination sixteen team tournament that features Schools From, the Big Ten, the big East And.
Speaker 2: The big TWELVE so no SEC and. No acc huh.
Speaker 1: Fifteen games will be played, during the week with all Games airing ON fox. And Fs One college basketball. Crown will air oh, here it Is So The college basketball crown is going to air on the same Days As, The March madness Elite Eight. And, final four well good. Luck With That The college basketball crown is starting this year they're going to Compete with the elite eight in the final four RUNS during the nit semi final. And championship, games and so ACCORDING to what i have in, Front of me utah might be in the mix for what's known as The.
Speaker 2: College basketball crown, here's the question do you want?
Speaker 4: To Do it That's that's, what i'm wondering because we were we started, the show, off you know kind of talking about how it felt like the team ran out of gas, a, little bit right and obviously they've been dealing with from, an emotional standpoint a bunch of stuff over the. LAST few, weeks i, always you, know think, that you know why would you want to go? Play another game why would you want to keep playing when when this is? Where you STAND but then i put myself in the ship news Of Seniors, of josh eilert maybe, of you know guys that are interviewing essentially, for A job and i'm probably campaigning to play a little, bit. More basketball right that's that's just the the inner ethos, of an athlete. Of a, competitor so yeah. Go play it if someone's gonna invite you to come play, in a tournament even if they're Competing With the final, four on television even if nobody's gonna maybe necessarily WATCH. It on tv you might be playing in front of an arena where it's your mom and your grandma and the opponent's. Mom, and grandma hey you're. Still playing basketball and if, you're a Senior If, you're josh eilert if you're any of the guys, on that staff that's probably better than going home and. Doing your paperwork so why not why not play a little? Bit? More, hoops.
Speaker 2: Conflicted yeah, so real quick.
Speaker 1: Some Breaking news sham sharon he Has Reporting the utah jazz have been, fined excuse me one hundred thousand dollars for violations Of The. Player participation policy, the context Here, according to shams is the violation Occurred when the jazz failed to Make Star forward lowry marketen Available against The wizards, on march fifth as well as. Other recent games the RELEASE From the nba communications departments simply JUST says what i.
Speaker 2: Just told you that's all you. Need to know.
Speaker 1: You could find teams every. NIGHT for this i don't fully Understand why the jazz are the team they're. Honed in on and, by the way let Me be clear. I'm for this it's the and THE problem is nba, owners these days most of, them are billionaires and one hundred thousand dollars for them is what you find in. Your couch cushion but the only way to curtail this issue that, pro basketball has and it, IS an issue i don't care, what anyone says go ahead and send.
Speaker 2: ME, YOUR statement nba i don't. GIVE a rip i think is to do. This more consistently and.
Speaker 1: The plan was like way back, In The day greg popovich actually started all of This with san, antonio a long, long time ago quite frankly Started It when david robinson was set to return from a back Injury and, san, antonio said oh you, Think you're. Healthy you're not you're going, to stay home and, while You're Home watch wake forest and watch the senior that plays For Them. Named tim Duncan robinson sat spurs get the number one Pick They.
Speaker 2: Draft tim duncan the.
Speaker 1: Rest is, history Later, On, As duncan jnobili parker and that group, Started to age popovich incrementally held them out Here There and david stern threatens and then did find him for sitting players when they were healthy. Ready to go this is kind of the deal where everybody just, started DOING it so i guess you can't fight. Everybody every night i'm not exactly sure why they pointed Out Specifically the, utah JAZZ when, like i said every single, team Does this but jazz have been five one hundred thousand dollars for violations of the. Player participation policy all right back to what we were. Just TALKING about what i can see and understand is reductively said simply. Playing more, basketball and, certainly you know if you're a player where basketball is not part, of your future and, if we're honest most of the players that are moving on probably have played or if they Go To This college, basketball crown thing will play their final game AS a player i would want. To Play Now the josh eilert side of this is interesting because there are a lot of things To Like. About josh eilert as an Assistant Coach, for alex jensen he Played In, the big twelve He Coached for west virginia for seventeen years as an Assistant, to coach huggins and then obviously it's been here for the past. Couple of years So Understands the big twelve And If, you're alex jensen is that something that's.
Speaker 2: Appealing to You If, you're.
Speaker 1: Josh eiler do you want another game where you can show people that you are?
Speaker 2: A good coach that.
Speaker 1: SHOULD be considered i mean you kind of Feel bad for josh as he was the interim Head Coach in west virginia and that didn't, work out great and then he just took over a SITUATION here where i don't know what he was.
Speaker 2: Supposed to do it.
Speaker 1: Reminded me A Lot when mike pijakian Took Over for andy ludwig during. The Football season when utah Fired Coach lud mike, pijakian Took over and mike himself during his first media availability told all, of us Like this is andy's system and THERE'S nothing that i really can. Do with this we're Just gonna, run andy's system which, makes you wonder like why do you? Fire, the guy anyway but whatever. Done is done And as coach, eyler took over, And You know sean mooney was some. Good, insight here uh they more or less ran kind of. The same sets The Difference was Kanu Dawes and miro little, Got more time so there were, some rotational adjustments but there weren't really, any schematic adjustments and so you kind of Feel bad for josh that he was put, in this situation which really was. A lose lose i don't know what he was, supposed to. Do all right staying with this tame. A little bit with the four o'clock out, of the show we're Gonna Bring in sarah Todd Covers the utah Jazz For.
Speaker 2: The deseret.
Speaker 1: News Breaking news the jazz have been fined one hundred thousand dollars for violating the league's.
Speaker 2: Player Participation policy.
Speaker 1: Pablo master when he stops, by later on we'll DO a little rsl midweek training sessions underway for the match Coming up On. Saturday at houston We'll see if pablo has any insight on reinforcements badly needed on the Way For. Real Salt lake kurt schmidt joined the, program this week indicated they're working on a number. Of different things we'll see if pablos, some insight there even though it's not, necessary his job but a little. BIT of insight i thought this was interesting porter take thirty seconds and say something.
Speaker 4: Very, Very fascinating well i'm gonna update you a little bit on goings On. With the jazz that one hundred Thousand dollars fine shams is expanding on that it is Specifically related to lowry Markten and The jazz. Holding lowry out and what, that tells ME not that i know or have any insight you'll be able, to expand here IS that the nba must have found a inconsistency in communication in one of, the injury reports in something there that gave them the excuse To give the. Jazz the fine they Know. They're resting lowry everyone Knows. They're resting lowry everyone around the league is resting players in a certain. Form of fashion but if you move them to the injury REPORT without, like i, guess an excuse or you just kind of throw, them up there you're you kind of lose your storyline as far as. Resting THE player the nba is gonna come down on. You for it and it kind of appears that's probably what Happened here with lowry missing better part.
Speaker 1: Of this, Month, ALL right man i was doing so well after the past couple OF days where i was limping to. THE finish line i made it nearly two hours without having a little bit of. An issue here we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Make it through we're. Gonna be okay the four o'clock hour right.
Speaker 1: Around the corner but before we, catch a break SOME interesting insight i thought on the Process That led alex jensen here back home to be the seventeenth Head coach in utah. Men's, basketball history so According to what i've been told, last time around so five, Years Ago now mark carlin alects to Move On, from larry kriskovak a decision that wasn't super popular. In certain circles i'll kind of, leave that there but.
Speaker 2: YOU get, IT i Mean. I like larry i.
Speaker 1: Always liked him he was, good to me he was, a great guest and when he went out, of in Fact let's. Get larry on Reach. Out to larry let's have him on because he is a fun. Guy to interview he's, a nice guy and there was an argument to be made that he he actually was. Showing, some progress nonetheless the decision was made to Move On. From, larry KOSKOVIAK well what i was told over the past forty eight hours is. Five Years ago mark carlin did make Some Overtures to alex jensen before He Landed.
Speaker 2: ON craig smith i have no insight on how far.
Speaker 1: THESE talks went i have no insight on how close it was Back then for alex to, take the job or if a offer was ever formally.
Speaker 2: EXTENDED to him i don't. KNOW those details i want to. Be.
Speaker 1: VERY clear now a couple of things here that make this go around different than. Five years, ago number one, Five Years ago alex jensen was the Lead Assistant for quinn snyder Here in sau Lake For.
Speaker 2: The utah jazz.
Speaker 1: Alex was being paid very well as, a lead assistant a number one ASSISTANT. In The nba the jazz had a really good team that was right, in the mixed right in the Midst Of, The, Gobert, mitchell conley, bogdanovitch you know that team that won a lot of regular season games but never was really able to get much done.
Speaker 2: In the postseason but it was. A good team it was a team that.
Speaker 1: Most people, thought all right if things, go their way if they Get a steph curry, sprained Ankle Here or lebron james low, ad management there maybe this team is good enough to. Win something special. I'LL be honest i never was. THERE with them i loved That iteration. OF jazz basketball i was with the flagship Station of the jazz. DURING that run i got to, KNOW the coaches i got to know, THE front office i got to, know THE players and i was a big fan of what they were doing and what. THEY were building i just didn't think they, had, the force physicality the defensive perimeter size to match up with some of the best teams. AS they, Advanced i mean donovan, Six' to two mike conley's. Six feet six' one their Best perimeter, defensive player was royce O'Neil who's six' to, four On a good day right and royce. Was a fine perimeter defensive player. He WASN'T anything all that special so i never thought that. They WERE gonna win a championship but i thought they were as Close as We've had PROBABLY since.
Speaker 2: JOHN and carl and i believe i.
Speaker 1: KNOW other people disagree With this i think the team Quinn Had at their peak With goberton mitchell as the lynch Pins were better Than the teams Jerry.
Speaker 2: Had with boozer.
Speaker 1: And d will that's my Opinion That team, went to a western conference finals but revision His history a little bit remember dallas The number one seed in the West That year with A Peak, dirk nooviski Ran Into golden state Coached by Don nelson who drafted dirk And, don Knew How to guard dirk and golden state did An. Amazing job of shutting down navitsky They Were, able to Upset the dallas mavericks and the jazz were pretty fortunate to run, into Them, in the second. Round not dallas nonetheless Credit Them they went to the western.
Speaker 2: Conference FINALS where They.
Speaker 1: Got, smoked but i Think quinn's, TEAM like the peak quinn team I think that Beats the peak Jerry.
Speaker 2: Team with booze.
Speaker 1: And D will that's my opinion but alex was, the lead assistant on that team and it wasn't just that he was. The lead assistant for that team he was a hot commodity in THE world of potentially. Getting an nba head Coaching job HE interviewed with the calvs back i think it was twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: TO take over their head job I.
Speaker 8: Think.
Speaker 1: They gave that to jb bickerstaff and so there was A lot going on then with alex, that isn't going on now right and so that. Needs TO be kept in mind but i was also told During the process five years ago alex wasn't necessarily, keen on the offer or Whatever or the, situation IS how i'll put that because i don't know, that there was an offer made but the conversation. Stalled pretty quickly, five years ago so, This time around five years later mark makes The.
Speaker 2: Decision to move, on, from craig what's.
Speaker 1: Different Now, well A Few things number one after quinn snyder decided that he didn't see any way forward here and didn't want to, Work for this new ownership group alex had. ONE year left on His deal i don't think will Hardy Was ever, going To keep alex jensen around but alex coached out the rest of his contract And spent one year under will Right, and Then He lands in dallas where Dennis lindsay at the Time was dennis is now in detroit Doing. A Great job with the Pistons so dennis Goes Down to Dallas And ultimately jason kidd brings alex jensen on board.
Speaker 2: As one of, His assistant coaches.
Speaker 1: Three years later alex IS not, interviewed for a head mba job and you Have to wonder whether or not, alex DID the calculation to say if i ever, want to be a head coach this. Is, GOING to be my opportunity also i don't know what the Terms, of the deal are for Alex but my guess, IS if Craig got five years i. Bet alex gets five or six alex has, a lovely wife and young, children AND they're all from here and i Think the stability is something that alex certainly was looking at because he was coming up on The. End of his contract in DALLAS but the most interesting anecdote i was told about the Process this Time around is as alex and mark engaged, In conversations and. Back and forth alex was undecided I'm. Told that they Really love dallas i'm. Told that dallas Really loved Him i'm told, the Dallas wanted alex, to stay and Alex was conflicted, According to what i've been told and It Was one phone call that alex. Jensen, made that eased his concerns porter do you have any guesses who the phone call Was Made to that ultimately led alex jensen to taking the job As the head coach. Of the utah men's basketball Program Spence. Checkets it was not SPENCE jackets he tried to. CALL i was DOING the show i told him i hit him. Back later never called him.
Speaker 4: Back man put me on the. Spot again twice. In one segment you're doing.
Speaker 1: This you've, been doing the show long ENOUGH you. Know that that's what i do i've JUST the Big dogs at the u who alex could. Have called to alleviate any CONCERNS and you're overthinking it when I tell You, WHO it is.
Speaker 4: Coach wit okay i was told that that's probably the guy you reach out to when you and. Not like when we're talking, sports i'm talking about you know a guy who. Is working within the athletic department you know those are the people he's gonna be working on.
Speaker 2: The hill with day to.
Speaker 4: Day no one's. Been there longer i'm pretty sure i'm almost positive no one's been there longer than what nineteen, ninety two.
Speaker 3: Or three.
Speaker 1: Ninety four maybe thereabouts but it makes sense when you. Think about it through this prism alex doesn't know What. It's like to work for mark alex doesn't know What It's. Like to work for taylor randall alex doesn't know what it's like to be Part Of the new iteration of utah athletics BECAUSE last time he was. Here I was in the nineties so i just thought that was kind of interesting, as he was weighing his. Options because this was a choice, This was not a no brainer this wasn't, something that was made right.
Speaker 2: Away a decision that was made this is. Something we Definitely.
Speaker 1: Want to do alex and natalie i'm sure they, Waited A bunch of different options but i thought it was interesting being told that The phone call that really put Alex over the Line Was, to kyle was to kyle winningham and they spent a number of number of hours on the phone together talking, about a bunch Of different things, according to what i've been told And that was enough to convince alex that he did want to Come. Back home, to coach the. Utes All right there you go utah. Jazz are back in action Tonight They. Are taking on the memphis grizzlies that is. A six o'clock mountain time Starts Our next guest covers the utah jazz and does it so well that.
Speaker 2: All she does.
Speaker 1: Is stack Trophies No Big deal two Time utah Sports Writer Of The, Year From the desert Red news. Sarah, Todd On. A wednesday afternoon. Sarah happy wednesday, How, are you i'm doing?
Speaker 9: GREAT svince, How are you doing i mean i'm Doing Better than. The, wall, of bryan smith today yes.
Speaker 2: Indeed why don't, We.
Speaker 1: Start With The breaking news sarah the utah jazz have. Been fined one hundred thousand dollars it looks Like. It's for sitting lowry against washington? Do, YOU have any insight here.
Speaker 9: Yeah i mean what's interesting is that the press release that comes out today it says that they Violated the player Participation policy on march fifth against washington quote, as well as, other recent. Games which is like not surprising i've been wondering, over the last couple of weeks like one of when one of these signs was Going, to, COME down, for the jazz because i mean They're Resting twenty three year, old walker kessler every other game and they've been using the. Injury report very liberally this season, So it's, FRANKLY not a surprise And honestly i think that the jazz and everyone involved would willingly pay one hundred thousand dollars to know that they're going to be one of the three worst, teams in the league this year so kind, OF non consequential in.
Speaker 1: THE end i concur with that i will follow up to ask if you haven't knowledge as to how exactly they land on when, They're, GOING to implement these fines sarah, i watch pro basketball every night and, Every night teams Are sitting players like why?
Speaker 2: The, jazz and why right now.
Speaker 9: YEAH it's really really interesting. BECAUSE i don't know exactly when i mean a lot of it Has to do with like all star star level players and whether or not. They're resting during, nationally Televised games that being, said THE jazz don't. HAVE those so i don't know. I don't know when they decide, it would be, really really easy as you've mentioned to go through and look at teams resting healthy players and find. A lot more than. THEY do, and so it's strange i mean they have a player, partition participation policy, that like, outline teams have to you know make sure that no more than one star. Is unavailable for the same, game and then there's you know the way that they define star depends on like years of Service and, if they've. Made all star teams et cetera and THEN also if it's a national tv game. Or an in season tournament game they have to maintain a balance between resting the players, for road and for home games and so This might be a case where lowry had missed more road games. At that point than home games. I'm not one hundred percent sure it'd have to, go back and look at it but. That would be, MY first guess other than that i think that, probably there's, someone that's just. Like all, Right this is enough.
Speaker 1: YOU know i'm Chuckling here because i have my twitter feed pulled Up and you can see the Shams tweet breaking the news the JAZZ, have been fined a hundred k and then, a Couple of tweets after that the jazz tweet, Out After updated, Injury Report available, Jordan Clarkson. Available lowry Marketing available jaden? Springer are the jazz trolling us or is this? Directly In response to the? Fine, now marketing is playing tonight.
Speaker 9: Oh this is in their defense this is about the time that the injury report would. Come OUT tonight before the game so i, don't think that that's direct trolling but there might, there is some HUMOR to it at least BECAUSE i saw the same, thing I got the injury report and i thought the. Timing of, This, Is pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: All right sarah before we get back To The, CURRENT state of the utah jazz i need to, pick, your brain a little bit, because if memory serves me correctly you were part of, The. Traveling, party five years, ago jazz okase when you know The whole thing, went down and rudy test positive they cancel the game and then we Get the alert that they can't so the season you, were part?
Speaker 5: OF that?
Speaker 2: TRAVELING party weren't, you i, Was. I was there all right sah so five, years later to the? Day yesterday what are your memories what? DO you remember about that night i think our listeners would. Be, INTERESTED to hear your perspective.
Speaker 9: Yeah i was talking about this yesterday with my fiance and just it's a really it's strange the things that stand out the most to me now compared. TO when it was all happening i think that when it was happening, and in the thick of it, it was, very LIKE work based jazz based and i was just THINKING about All Things basketball And Nba. And rudy gobert AND donovan mitchell, and now when i look back my mother at the time was supposed to be flying out to visit me the next day When, we WERE coming back to utah and i was already, feeling a, little bit wary because you know the old the only thing at the time that we knew was, just that like people were dying and. Especially older people were just Dying and when we, learned that rudy, had tested positive and you know they defined what, close contact meant and it's like have you been speaking to this person longer than five minutes? Standing within five feet, of, him and we were like oh you're. Just describing. What our Job is so yes and so i'm kind of in the, tunnels of the arena and okay see there's people and has that suits That are Walking by, from the department of health team, like Heading into the locker room and i'm on the phone With my mom telling her that i'm going to, cancel, Her flight and she's like well i'll still. Come If you want me to and, i'm like crying ON the phone telling her like i don't want to. Be the person that Kills You and it's just and tony jones was there and he Was just like hugging me while i'm crying, on the phone WITH my mom telling her that i don't want to. Be the person that killed her and that's like the most enduring memory for me is just having to be comforted in a moment where there was so much uncertainty and we. Really, didn't know what.
Speaker 2: Was happening, man that is wild so again my memory Is a little.
Speaker 1: Bit foggy Because i'm getting old but the jazz, didn't THEY fly you, guys home, if i remember correctly you know as you guys, were kind of figuring things out didn't it didn't they find a?
Speaker 9: Way, To GET you guys, home yeah, because i mean so you know we tested with the rest of the jazz staff and traveling party, in the locker room that night and we were told that we would have to quarantine for up to two weeks after our last, interaction with someone who tested positive which the next morning we find out the fourteen days started that night because Even though we hadn't been around, Rudy for a. Couple of days donovan tested positive and, we're all sitting there that night, hanging Out waiting to. Be tested and, donsan Was there But, The yeah, the, department of health we're like, yeah you guys can't fly, commercially, and so we were like okay well how? Are we, supposed To get home and. Yeah the jazz were incredibly gracious i'll forever'd be Grateful for Them putting me and andy and tony on their. Chartered flight home the next day and so we were there with the team and The Hangar at the airport when angela dunn was kind of explaining what the next two weeks would be like and fielding our questions and trying to make us all feel at. Least, a, little bit more comfortable, so Yeah the three of us the beat reporters were there.
Speaker 2: With the team through it all i'm sure they Were happy to allow, you AND tony to fly home but i guarantee there was a healthy debate about whether Or not they wanted. TO let andy on the plane.
Speaker 9: I think that there was a healthy debate to. Not let anyone. On the plane at. THAT point, everyone was so confused i mean they were having trouble getting a chartered flight because pilots and, flight, attendants were just being like no we don't want to fly these people if they're like, they're, because they're being told like well all of these people. That will be, on the flight all tested negative but the incubation period for the virus, could be up to two. Weeks so there is some risk and so like they were just being told no left and right by pilots until they finally. Got one, FOR the next day and so i mean there were number a number Of people that worked for the jazz, that, Were, trying to figure out like okay, how if we rent a car how long is it going To Take? To drive home from oklahoma city like there were it. Was ALL up in the air, so i think that number one they would have they, could, have very easily been like. No figure out your own stuff and number two they could have they by the time that they actually got a flight and a pilot, that was willing to do this they were, like whatever everybody on hmm?
Speaker 2: Man that is that Is wow what was there any.
Speaker 1: Was, there any instant or you know immediate indicator that this situation was going to throw a big time Monkey wrench In. The, RELATIONSHIP between gobert, AND mitchell.
Speaker 9: No i don't think. I mean NOT like that night i mean i know that there. Were there were tweets that night I'm pretty sure from like, from, woes That were indicating that uh that rudy had been a little Flippant about the. Situation and that donovan wasn't happy, but h, that was also like you know those tweets also felt like they, were coming from one sided sources and so it was like you. DIDN'T really, know what to believe i mean there was NO indication at that point that i felt like there was going to be the blow. Up between them that there was I'm also really really appreciative seeing donovan's comments more recently and also talking to him in the years that followed about how he looked, back, on the, situation as like yeah of course, like looking back on IT now like we know that I could have given it, to rudy and that you know, we didn't know how, things worked and he, WAS like but in the moment, i was just so pissed off and like there was a little bit of, tension between THEM to start with and so i think that was just like it was like, Putting a, match just on gasoline.
Speaker 1: All right, there's no way of knowing this but kind Of a fun, hypothetical exercise because i've, ALWAYS said and we'll always SAY covid forever changed that, team covid forever changed that group and there's AN argument to be made that covid directly ended it Quite frankly. Based off of the freid relationships And It was the summer of, george Floyd and emotions were high and donovan Started kind of leaning into and i've. Never, had any issue With It donovan, as a young african american male just started caring about issues that may have, changed his desire, To live here which. Is FINE it's totally his right and i Think some of the reaction to donovan being front facing about his, opinions Was pretty. Embarrassing around here if I'm honest But the relationship Between gobert and mitchell and then donovan clearly, not wanting to live here anymore and part of me will always wonder if there was, any meat Left on that bone or did.
Speaker 2: Danny tear it all down.
Speaker 1: Pretty quickly, A little bit prematurely who knows, but we are where we are so, as somebody who covered that team a team that was winning in a regular season setting in a way that we hadn't, seen here in a long time and one of the best Regular Season teams in the entire western conference. OVER the course of five years i think they won more regular season games than any team, over THE course, of five years if i remember but the playoff stuff. Never fully WORKED out for him but, IF covid doesn't interrupt that, path i guess for that?
Speaker 2: Group, What, do you think happened sarah.
Speaker 9: YEAH it's interesting to know because i think also a little, piece that we have, to consider which like NUMBER one like we, can't, put covid in a vacuum right like it happened concurrently. With a bunch of other stuff, but we also HAVE to consider like how did COVID change the landscape of the nba for the next year and A? Half, As, well as the. Jazz RIGHT like we, don't know if Covid doesn't happen maybe do the jazz are they able to do something else that? They didn't do during, free agency, because like free agency the draft all of that that next year were really, really late and really really weird and you Know that Led To, like the jazz getting derek favors who was really at the tail end of his career at that point and had to pay the, full mid level exception for it. And then, getting off that deal you know creates a situation where right now we're in we're we're still, seeing the side effects of that WHICH is the protections On the okc pick that the jazz are trying to avoid not dealing with by tanking and, Trying to get a high pick and that includes what's going to happen next season because, That pick is still hanging around, and so that's, all tied together and it's like would there have been better options ON the free agent, Market, head COVID not HAVE happened like would i know nba wheelers and dealers have, met differently, and had more conversations and like could they have added something different to that roster That Might have helped them in los angeles when it felt like they were just right there but couldn't get over, the hump at the same time, like Injuries and stuff that year like Donovan's ankle, Injury going into that clippers series like we don't know how injuries were impacted by like the start and stop and resetting and shortened season and weird SCHEDULES because of what, HAPPENED after covid and so like i think it's all all mixed in together and all of that to say that When it ended and when The jazz blew Things up And quinn left. AND donovan and rudy were, traded i think at that point like everyone including myself that were, close, to the team. Was like yeah this is when of course, there's no way to fix this and so there's always going to be questions of like what could happened and how Things ended up and how much covid, impacted that or, if there was like you. Said meat left on the bone but it really really, felt at The end. OF it, AFTER that mavericks series i mean i didn't even feel any sort of excitement or anything after that, last year that they Were. Together going out against, the, mavericks it was. Just like yeah this is over it's been.
Speaker 8: Over.
Speaker 2: For More than a year yeah even locke During, the Final Game, against The MAVs even david locke even david locke. That This feels like, a funeral if locke is, saying it feels like a.
Speaker 1: Funeral everybody, Died two years ago you know like when when the people that are employed by the team to propagate the message they pay him, to propagate cannot do it, anymore that has TO say.
Speaker 7: Something, You know what i mean yeah and that's how it felt, it felt.
Speaker 9: Just SO anti climactic like It was, i think after the clippers series like everybody knew, That it wasn't going to work but, that's the moment when everybody thought maybe there's just a little, bit meat left on the. Bone like let's, try it again please feel like. Let's do it one more time and so that's why It felt, so bad after the maverick series because everybody knew a year before, That, it was over all.
Speaker 1: Right sarah moving, over to the here and, now you wrote a really good Yet Really depressing piece About The utah jazz stated the utah. Jazz rebuild a timeline for contention so let's just start from? The thirty one thousand foot view? What motivated you to write it. Then UNPACK it a little bit then. I, HAVE some specific.
Speaker 2: Stask, you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, i was just thinking you know like the, thirty thousand foot view is like what's. My job as a beat writer it's my job to be the eyes ears and the voice for the fans right in the places that they, Can't have Eyes ears, and voice AND so i'm thinking what do i Need to tell them about what i'm seeing. Before we head into the draft the lottery even and the off season, or the beginning of next season because this season we. Already know what the story, is and, so, FROM that perspective it's Like Well i kind of have it's i'm obligated To tell, them, that from what i'm hearing like this is not The, end of tanking for the jazz and so don't expect for things to get. Cheery and, start winning, next season.
Speaker 2: And ultimately you know as much as it is painful to hear the dirty little secret is it's. Probably the right course of? Action?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 9: You AGREE with that right YEAH and i think there and I think, there's people, within the, jazz organization you know decision makers people on different sides, of different staff that number one they think we got to be bad next year because we have. This pick that's top eight protected we. Don't, want it going, to Okay See and you know, the cooper flag draft is Fine and Like If we get cooper or dylan harper or whatever it may be. In this draft will be great but the twenty twenty, six draft is also absolutely. Stacked and ESPECIALLY at the top and, so i think that you know when you have a top eight protected pick and you're looking at both of, these you, think we'll you know No one no one within, the, jazz organization is thinking Like Oh our Foundational Core Is Keyante george, and isaiah collier. Like i'm sorry they're just not and so when you're looking, at what, could be, A Core we're Like you Know Cooper flag and deck. And darren peterson sounds pretty good and so that's, what they're looking at as like what are the, Big pieces that we could get and they are holding space for a world in which that could still include lowry market in but. There's a chance that it doesn't and so all of that is being decided and kind of. Being worked through in real time.
Speaker 1: So let's have a little fun Let's operate off hypothetical that the jazz luck into One This. Year and they get cooper flag how does that color. THEIR perspective on approaching next season.
Speaker 9: I think the immediate aftermass of getting the number one pick in the draft lottery is, serving the landscape and, seeing like are there any huge huge, moves TO be made this summer because i think that's the only thing that Could happen that could stop. The jazz, from tanking next Season, it's like If, they get Cooper. They, have Lowry They have walker okay is devin Booker going to ask out of phoenix? Because things are Getting so bad there are the celtics gonna have to blow things up and not gonna be able to pay for their roster and someone becomes available. There just those are two examples but like, big, name guys across the league like is there anything that could be done or anything that could be manufactured out of the chaos that's happening. Across, the rest of the league now if that does not happen and they're not able to get like, the big name guy this offseason Then what happens is. That the jazz tank next season and from there you have To Decide, Can, We tank With Cooper flag lowry markin. And walker kessler on The roster now we've seen the jazz do some. Incredible injury report managing this season it's a little different if one of your really good players is a rookie and you're trying, To act like he can't play so. That gets a little Bit Difficult there's a chance that cooper flagg comes into the league and hey has learning curves, like every other rookie usually does and you can still. Tank WITH him on the roster but i think that does open. The door a little bit too we might be too, good to tank with those guys so we Might. Have to look, at trading, lowry.
Speaker 1: So What happens best guess if lady Luck does not shine on the jazz and let's say they even fall out of the top five or six, and end, up With A player You, know like jeremiah fears from oklahoma they don't get one of, the top five or six, players like, worst case scenario happens they lose but they fall out of this top three or four area, where apparently generational pieces are available and they march into, next season, with An Unknown rookie you. Know a trey johnson or, something he's a pretty good player but they don't. Get one of these generational pieces how? DOES that, COLOR their approach year.
Speaker 9: I mean i think that that just makes it even more important that they get one of the, top three picks again next season right like. That's already the goal right now and, if the worst case, scenario happens then they don't get frankly a top two pick out of this out, OF the twenty twenty five draft i think it makes it all the more important to get a top two pick, in the, twenty twenty six draft and.
Speaker 5: Man that.
Speaker 9: Would be that would, BE bad but at that point i think you're you're looking at all scenarios because you have to. Get back something really really good since you didn't get a top, five pick in twenty twenty five that might even make a lowery trade more probable, because they'd be looking at like we really have to have something that's going to. Last us the next, ten years and so it's yeah there's a lot of plates that are spinning. THAT and lottery Night coming up i think it's may twelfth this year is a really really. Really IMPORTANT night for the, jazz.
Speaker 1: Before i say you loose what sort of sense, are you getting, from this community. From this, market from jazz fans you know we HAVE data, as far as local TV ratings and the. Jazz local tv ratings have tanked they're the fourth lowest from the bottom as far as the gap. From one YEAR to the next so the tv. Audience isn't what it, once was From my vantage point, every time i'm at. A game the crowd is good but what sort of sense Are you getting from jazz fans if they're in for this again. Next year and maybe even beyond what sort Of pain tolerance, Do, you think jazz Fans have.
Speaker 9: Yeah the sense that i'm getting is that the tank. FATIGUE is starting to set in i think that it probably split down The, MIDDLE on fans saying that okay i can, do this for one more year and, THEN there's fans that are like i. Can't do this, one more year like you Said In, the building at the delta center. THE crowd is really really IMPRESSIVE i mean it's something that i don't see around, the league for other rebuilding teams like fans Don't show up the way, that jazz fans do. In person and that's really impressive but. That's just one building of people and so, LIKE the larger jazz fan audience, i THINK is feeling really restless and i in large part because they haven't had to go through this for such a. Long period of time like that it's been so long since they've, had to go through losing seasons and the losing season didn't drag out as, long as it did like this and, It didn't feel so blatant either and so. This is IT'S a new feeling and so, i think with newness and change, no matter what we're talking about. There's going to be uncomfortable feelings, but with all of that said like my caution And my words of wisdom to jazz fans as someone who has, seen many teams go through rebuilds like. It won't always be like this there will be a, point when they start to. Win like try to, win games whether it works out whether they actually are able to contend, for a title up for debate and, No ONE has the crystal ball But i wouldn't suppose that the jazz are going to be tanking longer than at like, Two more years at the most like they are. Going to want to win games they're gonna want to try, and put together a legitimate team and whether or not the fans can stick with them through the next couple two three years while they start to move, towards ACTUALLY trying to win, games, Is, i guess.
Speaker 1: We'll see, Right yes, we, Will all right so well well i'm glad that everything worked out and you stayed alive and your mother stayed. Alive and all that fun stuff so while that it's been, five years but quite an experience you'll be able to tell The grandkids about.
Speaker 2: When, you, and colin get busy okay uh we.
Speaker 9: Won't be happening never having children absolutely else.
Speaker 2: It'll be a.
Speaker 1: Great, story for someone else's. Grandchildren, SARAH thanks for, THE time okay i think friends i.
Speaker 2: Got awkward there at. The end i'm not gonna, lie i'm just, SAYING someone's kids. She, getting married. I, don't, know yeah not judging.
Speaker 4: YEAH uh you haven't. Kids anymore.
Speaker 2: I have a child. I'M good i got. THE thing i Did the thing i love that. Dave was making, you ENTIRELY uncomfortable. That was uncomfortable and tv too he. CONTINUED it on his television program i saw that, my dating Life Is. Nobody's BUSINESS Certainly NOT dave fox's it's kutvs now.
Speaker 1: I guess it is all right the non awkward portion of that Interview Is brought to you by burt brothers with over thirty years. Of Experience and Nearly Thirty locations burt brothers as certified I've got some self self reflection with over thirty, Years Of experience Nearly Thirty locations burt brothers as certified technicians bring. Expertise and professionalism to every interaction industry leading. Warranties and low price tire guarantees one stop, shop for reliable repairs and maintenance from tires, and alignments to fluids and breaks offering a full range of automotive. Services tailored to meet your needs now Offering value tire options such as americus and some attires. Starting at, just sixty nine dollars with warranties they. Go up to seventy thousand Miles AS one of the Few, Triple A certified shops in utah burt brothers upholds. The highest Standards In automotive Service stop by burt brothers or tirebusters' locations or schedule an appointment today to experience the trusted Service that has made them a. Utah Favorite for over three decades burt brothers. Doing it better since day one More Information can be. Found at burt Brothers dot. Com the badness of marge continues we'll get back to some college basketball STORYLINES in the five o'clock Hour Byu. Knows its opponent at highwa state utah season comes TO. An end last NIGHT against ucf midweek training for oursl and preparation For, a tough road trip to houston. And it's been way too long the vibes on. The show are about To Improve The head Coach Of. Raal salt Lake is, Pablo Mastruetti On, a, wednesday afternoon pob's happy?
Speaker 2: Wednesday Buddy?
Speaker 5: How.
Speaker 8: Are we, doing happy wednesday spence, you're right the vibes are great and it starts. With, THAT tribe called quest. Intro, man i love that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well the vibes are. Great when you.
Speaker 1: Join THE show so there's that, but, i got to ask you man how are. The vibes in that locker room it's not been.
Speaker 2: The, start you.
Speaker 8: Were hoping FOR no definitely not, and again, i think season overseason you know it's, really interesting and and you know it just takes a couple of pieces to kind of throw things. Out of Kilter a little bit but what i'll tell you is we have an Amazing group of guys that again, i've been here now five years and, this group is the most committed the, most professional and really you know willing to be accountable and learn and. And dig in and, speak up and, so you know after You know a, rough start like i'm you know even the uncoverings from this last weekend's, game and and and you know sitting with the guys and just talking through some things like it's it's, been so collaborative and so positive which for me says a lot. About the character of this group and and really in the direction that we're going to head because, we learned something from every game and, and both as PLAYERS and coaches right and and i think the togetherness and and and and what we're doing. Is REALLY probable at the moment so i know.
Speaker 1: Your job description is, not going out to sign players. Sin SCOUT players and acquired, Talent, but i will ask you pablo THERE is a significant portion of rsl fans right now that feel a little bit frustrated that all of the money that was brought into the club after a, Number of, different transactions were uh we're executed has not been, reinvested in talent for the, club namely in the. Attacking third namely at number nine do?
Speaker 2: You do you share that frustration are you in a spot of frustration as well waiting for, REINFORCEMENTS on the way.
Speaker 8: You know i WAS just talking to porter before i got on AND and one thing that that i, can't be, is is looking for you know reasons, To Absolve myself as A coach right i'm in THIS i'm in this, profession BECAUSE i love helping players and i love helping them get better and think about the game in life a lot different than, they did before they got HERE and AND and so when, i when, I look, at it you know, I think IF it was egregious i would i would probably. Be a little bit, more frustrated, but the truth is you know we had we had a nine that we traded for, and decided not to come right, and so, then we made it you know we so we have two, young nines who have unbelievable potential but they just don't. Have the experience at the moment, and to be fair to them they each have a, goal, In the first three GAMES right so if if if i was going to be tough on somebody, or on a couple of guys, It'd probably Be, our you know diego, and diego who are playing well but we're just not, getting a production at the moment and, so like instead of you know putting all the the onus on on two, young guys, that don't have experience you know what we're talking about internally is how do we be more productive from that ten position whilst waiting for maybe one or two attacking players to join the group, that can really improve, you know the the the execution, the finishing, because this to this you know looking at all the stats that we have, from from the, first three games is you know we're, we're, significantly under our expected goals right and that to me says we're, creating a lot of good. Chances we're, just, not finishing, them and so uh you, know we're WE'RE working, extremely hard as like i said as a collective to find. Those percentages that, otherwise you'd find and you Know Like, last year we, had andreson chico who you know they'd hit it from twenty YARDS out which is a zero xg but still. Find the back of the net and so we're looking, at this more as you know we got to. Find goals from, the collective mindset positioning is important, execution and the box is important and guys showing up ready to go on game day in. Those very important moments are, IMPORTANT.
Speaker 1: Since you Brought it, up i, Wonder because i've Asked excuse Me i've talked to jason AND kurt about this Deal. With i Thought It Was Elias APPARENTLY it's ilias ilias manuel manuel i. Guess it's, How to say it, and look bob's from my perspective it's always interesting because our pro basketball team here in the market for years and years and YEARS has had major issues with nba players who they wanted to bring. Here not wanting to come here and it doesn't seem like that's been a. Huge deal on the soccer, side so from your vantage point how did this whole thing break down and what sort of effect?
Speaker 8: Did, that have, ON your, group yeah so again, i mean this was eleventh hour so we're we're assuming that he's. In for, First day OF preseason you know kurt and i sat. With him on a zoom call he was super engaged and asking unbelievable questions about the game model and what the asks are, on both sides, Of, THE ball and he says oh i, LOVE the WAY you guys play.
Speaker 3: I love i.
Speaker 8: Love this idea this is wonderful, and then like, a, WEEK later it was Like Yeah, i can't. Come to salt lake you know and so you know a lot of times there's there's especially, player people That move You Know from say brazil, to new york in his case and, they, might have family, members there right and they have they have a. Setting community in a certain place and so it wasn't so much that He Didn't, want to come to salt lake is he, didn't, Want to leave me work right and so it's the. First time THAT this has happened and so i don't think it's not wanting to come here because everything that, we showed, from, the city perspective. He said oh it looks beautiful we talked about the people and the culture and the fan, base that is just you know loves football and wants to wants to have a championship team and he could. Be a big part of this and so the, whole THE whole meeting, was incredible and i was convinced like this is going to be a guy that's going to. Help us be great this, year and at the eleventh hour for, WHATEVER personal reasons he's Had Said i JUST can't leave new york or I. Have to go back to brazil so there's a lot of circumstances that. Are beyond just the professional. Side it's also the, personal side and and you know he's, married and they have you know they have their wishes and desires and so but but it was, really you know it you know so we were left. Kind of handcuffed, at that moment and You know We have to bring ari. From australia at the last second and you know he's been he's been a. Real bright spot in the group, so you, Know we're moving Forward you Know and and and, kurt and jay are you know looking at all over the world to pick up one or two players that can come in as soon as possible and help. Both both of the attacking group.
Speaker 1: Tell me your understanding of. Where we're at IN that process kurt Hopped. ON i think, it, WAS monday i don't know man i don't remember. What Ate for breakfast this morning but kurt hopped on, this week and. He was, honest he was forthcoming. He Said it's in the works and, i've been doing this long enough been around that club long enough to know that a transaction oftentimes can be, derailed by the. SILLIEST of paperwork misaps or whatever i, know these, things, aren't super easy but look man. You got to get some assistance you just need a little bit, more talent up there up. Top at least that's, My opinion so where we at pablo in the process of getting some HELP on.
Speaker 8: The way, so again I think you know we. Have we've identified three different players and here's, a difficult thing with these, transactions as you rightly pointed, out if it's an international, player whenever that signing is done you can expect three to four weeks before you can actually step on. The field because of these issues and that's. That that's not good for us although that's probably the those players. Are their most skettable right now the other ones are domestic and those, players you can get a side you can get those they can play. The next day after the signing the problem with those is now you're it's it's it's it's harder to find players through trades because certain teams don't want to get rid of a striker that maybe not may not be playing at the moment because they want, to use them. For you know a reserve role and so it's it's, just finding the right you know marrying the two teams that that want, what you're willing to.
Speaker 3: Give up and.
Speaker 8: Getting the player that you want so that that's the. That's the tough part of this and so there's no real, timeline in this on this spense, AND that's why from. My, role i just focused on okay, So if we don't have that so if we're not scoring a, lot of goals at the moment then we. Got to TIGHTEN up our defense and so i just my role in this, whole thing is a lot different and it's how do we maximize the the players that we currently have and the team that we currently have in the situation that we currently have to make it better for the next, game whilst, waiting for these guys because again new players, coming into, an environment that's like you, know when you're not getting results it's it's going to be difficult for, them, Because they're not superheroes either right so the more that we can study the ship in the next few weeks with good, performances that lead to great results it'll be much more of a of a conducive environment for these these players that are going to come in to to. Be able to really screw forward.
Speaker 1: At the risk of, asking the ultimate dumb guy question do you have a preference of international or domestic when it comes to the options or is it, just, Like, give me the.
Speaker 8: Best dude yeah, that's it's sense i'm you know beggars, can't, Be choosers at this point right we just want to get a guy or two in the, building that can. Really you know and and, get so to answer your question it's it's either it's it's whoever we can, get, and who fits the team uh to give, us the best chance to win because, at the end of the day that's that's, that's what we want to.
Speaker 3: Do and that's that's the aim, so every year.
Speaker 1: With THIS stuff WHEN, IT comes to mls and rsl i always remind people that the hot start will not continue and. The slow start will, not continue this. Is a slog it's. A marathon it ebbs and flows but four goals in Five GAMES If You, include the conky, caf champions cup and you know ultimately an expansion team rolls into town and.
Speaker 2: Kind of gives it to you You Go. ON the, road to san jose.
Speaker 1: I mean you, Know, the deal at what point pablo does a slow start in your mind become problematic and you.
Speaker 2: Start, TO get a little.
Speaker 8: Concerned yeah i just think then when you've. Pulled out all the, different stuffs so in other words, where as from a coaching perspective where we've looked under every nook and cranny, and haven't acted upon the information that's been presented in other, words like we have you know so we've, been, focusing on the attacking side right and so for the first five games and saying. We got to get any, spots so we are doing that but we're just not capitalizing or Executing Like. This last GAME against san diego never have i coached a game where we've had three breakaways, with, The goalkeeper and not scored. Right so, that's that's an anomaly so okay so if we're creating those, kind of chances and not scoring what's. The next, thing, to look at it's like well. We can't be given up goals so now we're rebalancing it to keep make sure that we keep zeros whilst we are creating chances and we, might score one and hopefully two but but we can't. Rely on the goals going in so therefore we, got, To FORTIFY or back line right, and i think that's, you know that's the important thing and that's something that we can take with us. For the rest of the season, even when we have you know one or two other players that, can contribute on the goal scoring we still want. To Be a solid, defensive team so i'm you know from from my advantage point is that we, learned something about ourselves every game and and until we've exhausted all different faith of the game, where we can make, ed improvements and we've done that. And yet we're not getting. Results That's where it becomes, worrying BUT i'll tell YOU what, like i said when, i STARTED when we started talking, is I believe in this group and i know that. We're going to get it right and it's just a matter of clear, understanding of what, the roles responsibilities and more Important the collective mindset going to houston is. Make sure we keep it zeros we're going to get our opportunities, and and and maybe you know it's always a lot easier to score goals when, you're, Not having to chase it right it's it's because you're playing from a place of calm and clear thinking when when you're behind it now you're forcing square pegs and round holes and passes that shouldn't be made and, decisions that are just you know made in. Haste AND all these different things but i really believe, in the character of this, group the quality of this group and we just now have to put TOGETHER a, complete performance because like i said our two young strikers do, have a goal that you know they. Have two goals amongst amongst themselves it's it's REALLY the other cast members that i think need to step up a little bit more to help them and in the meantime collectively defending the right way. So THAT we're not chasing.
Speaker 1: Games before, i ask you this next question you, just Reference your two Young Strikers. Which i'm assuming is arian forrester any other nine options on the roster? You, feel comfortable playing right.
Speaker 8: Now no we don't.
Speaker 3: Know that we don't. Have any those are. The two what a perfect.
Speaker 1: Answer THAT was the perfect answer so i want to hone in on those two for a moment because that's what. We have in front of Us let. Me ask you about ari first is he is he a little bit more? Nuanced in just a nine like is he? A?
Speaker 2: Guy you can. Play elsewhere yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely he is and and that's another wrinkle that we're looking to add to it because he can play out why and. He poses a real, speed threat he's got great size, but he's, got really soft. Feet nimble feet really good technique and so the reason why we can't play him in another position at the moment is because we then we only, do left with one nine right, and so as a young pairing we feel really good with one going, sixty the other one, going thirty, and depending on form you know either. Of those two can switch up, So he is definitely flexible tactically, he's got a, great soccer brain and you know he's definitely really like so if we bring, in another attacking player up front he's definitely a guy that can slide out wide and really cast. Some damage, from that wide position All.
Speaker 1: Right, let's MOVE over, to forrester now who i mean there are there are moments with him, like he's he's got, good size he's got good athleticism and that just always, stands out to me because oftentimes. Don't take THIS the wrong way you're watching Mls soccer and your striker is. Jason christ who's five to four It's like he's. Not A great i'm just kidding but forrester has an athletic physical presence about him that oftentimes. You don't see in this league so as you continue the, process of learning more about him what has stood out so far that maybe we're not seeing, in training because he has scored but there also been so many moments where you feel like he's got to, get, That one to be fair right so what stood? Out ABOUT his growth so Far.
Speaker 8: So i, would say with forrester he's got, like you're right to point out his physicality is is top like that kind of body could play. In any league in the world and what he is is he's he's still learning, the game from, a forwards position in other words what side of the defender to be on, The balls on said side right like little nuanced movements to put him in better positions to be. Able to protect the ball better, he's working on his first touch which is. A little bit rough at times but one thing that he. Is IS a is a learner and i would say with all our young players, that we've brought him this year they're incredible. Learners and students of the. Game they want to get better they're. Meeting with the coaches every day they're coming. In and you're seeing the growth and the tough thing about pro, sports, It's it's a now, business right so all these nuanced. Little little margins of gains aren't you don't realize it because they're starting so far. BEHIND what what you would expect a top. Nine in this, League to be, but you know, forrester for example is you know one of the things that we worked on in preseason was when he receives the ball back to goal, and he sets the ball back he wanted to. Open up to receive it, again, and one of the things, HOWEVER stopping, practice, in, soa, apartment i said no no no anytime you set, the ball back to a tend you turn and spin. And you run your tail, off you just if nothing else, you're moving that back line back so. That tene now time to drive you're creating space, for your ten but more. Importantly you're threatening the back line and so when he scored that Goal, when he came in against seattle it was like this moment was like it started back in preseason and now he's really he's applying it in real time and and. He got the reward for it, so he's a really good finisher but time, struggles, When he's finishing at speed, right so that's another you know That, goal that, he scored in seattle you know he missed a couple of those in preseason and also scored. A couple OF those in preseasons so again i, think it's just with these guys is it's. The expectations are are, too high if you're you know a fan and you want. To you want to win, now but from a coaching perspective the growth that they've. Had in eight weeks is, incredible and if we can again if we can solidify our our defending as a collective and not put so much pressure on them by having our tens be a bit, MORE productive on the offensive side i think these guys in a year two years could be. Big time forwards in this.
Speaker 1: LEAGUE so some interesting stuff there i want to FOLLOW the couple of things because i understand the club's ethos of betting on young talents and developing said talent and.
Speaker 2: THEN moving talent, on FOR premium i. Hate, IT but i. Get it okay i get it i've, Been, Drug along.
Speaker 3: FOR the ride.
Speaker 2: Pablo i'm on i get it is, that challenging as the coach though because, outside of, Outside, of YOUR keeper you're young pablo and i understand. That that's what the club, does but from a manager's perspective that's got, to be, A little frustrating.
Speaker 8: Though, you know i think the biggest the toughest frustration for me has nothing to do with their ability to execute as much as it is understanding, the game from, a collective standpoint, in other words like game management moment moments like why are you moving where you're moving to and really understanding what, the game needs.
Speaker 3: In this moment.
Speaker 8: And those things YOU can't, teach those things are i, mean we teach it through video. But you have to feel it and the real way to feel it is to get pulled because you're not doing, it when you're a YOUNG player and then going, When i get my next opportunity. I'm going to do it, right and unfortunately at this moment.
Speaker 3: We just don't.
Speaker 8: Have that option to do that, so we're learning on the fly. And so, IT'S it's really tough and again i think our leadership, group we meet once a week we talk about those the ways that those, players with Experience in this, league or like rafa for example, who's been all over the world can really lean on, these guys in, moments you know whether it's halftime whether it's pulling them a. Side after an exercise and training and so this isn't all hands on deck. With with with with this group as far as we got to mature quickly, there's, no there's no, you know bitching there's. No complaining there's no excuse. Making this is this is us we got to love who we are. And, we got, to move forward so you know for as Much as you, know you think i'd be frustrated it's really about always, thinking about solutions to these. Situations because, again it's never ideal you know you can lose a big, time player with a, KNEE injury and as a coach I could either, be frustrated, or i could say oh, right THIS is my new reality and I got to do the best i can with what we have and really drive, the group, from a positive perspective. Learning perspective and a togetherness perspective and.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 1: We're AIMING to do all, RIGHT before i set you loose i Do, want to ask you ABOUT yogo who is the only dp on the roster, as of, now and last year you know he, lands during the summer Transfer window and so and and jason Made A Really, good analogy About javier javier morales who when Javier landed here the first few jason on the show a couple of weeks ago, said HE thought about cutting Him which i didn't know, because javier didn't settle in Initially and there are moments with diogo where you see that type Of creativity, and flair that, that javier had, who ultimately became in my opinion the.
Speaker 2: Best Player we've ever had here so i'm.
Speaker 1: Not ready to, anoint OR dismiss it's still early but i think it's safe to say that there are a lot of people THAT. Are expecting more from a dp so tell me what you're seeing and what you hope to. See, as he continues to.
Speaker 3: Acclimate yeah that's, A great question and.
Speaker 8: You know i think, when he came in last year. It was it was really difficult we were. Going through a topsy turvy time we had a, lot of, issues off the field you know and there's and then that that, kind of permeated onto the field and so it was never going to. Be an easy transition For him the one thing that i've noticed with him this year is his commitment TO the team and and what i mean by that is like one of the first, guys, In that training EVERY day, right and from a dp perspective you get you got to lead. More than just on the field so that part he's he's working two x, versus last year for so. Output physical output is two. X his quality speaks for itself the Only thing missing right now from diego is that, final piece whether it you know and more, importantly for us in. The moment is really the goals and and The thing is he's getting himself like at the weekend he had that He Had a great opportunity against san diego one on one, with the goalkeeper and didn't finish and. He's beating himself up about it but. He's getting himself in great spots. He's doing all the things right and so like, everything else suspense in every sport right you're when. You're when you're playmakers are confident it's almost like the ball just hits in. His backside and goes in right it's like it. Just it just manifests that way but he's doing all the little things behind the scenes and all the little things in THE games to be. A great dp in, this league and SO you know and and and i really believe that it's a, matter of time before you know if, ONCE he scores his first goal i think now teams, wire going to, play him different play us differently which is going to Open, up options For, guys like Dom. Guys like, ari guys like diego right, NOW it's where we're you, know i, don't think teams are you know necessarily worried about, our attack going into the game because we haven't. Done ANYTHING to make them fearful but i think, it's, a matter of time, When when when it all clicks diego, Gets back on the score. Sheet diego starts, putting up, goals dom continues, to you Know set Up goals and AND ari or forrester finishing where i think the, whole front line, will be empowered. Full OF bleed FULL of Confidence and i think i think diego is one goal away from.
Speaker 1: From from achieving that last thing it's Always, a tough road trip to houston But at least it's. Not freaking july where it's impossible, so what, Do, you just simple simple question pablo what Do?
Speaker 2: You, open to, see on saturday yeah just.
Speaker 8: Again a, market IMPROVEMENT defensively for the, group because, i think that's where you know if you're if you're not gonna, you score a lot of goals. You've got to be solid defensively, and WE'RE going on the road and i believe that if we're solid defensively and we're operating. FROM a zero goals against perspective i think. It will, free up, a group and so you know even though, The results haven't been going away i've seen. A lot. Of, real positive things you know again we're this last Game Where's one to one against san diego before, we can see. Too you know an injury time so like those little moments are deflating when you just kind of you're you're going all out to score the goal and, then you end up, conceding, Too and that's not professional right, and so this week in training it's been amazing to see the guys work collectively defensively and then and then from that the amount of times in training this week that we've been able to break from that position and create some really, good and. Score some really good nice goals so JUST an overall solid performance and, I think if we do that i think we'll find ourselves in a favorable position To. Get a, Great, Result, IN houston all right.
Speaker 1: Buddy well i appreciate the, time This is a long year so i'm. Sure you're gonna turn it around. Always, pulling, For, you save travels.
Speaker 8: Okay Thanks Bud APPRECIATE it to boblo.
Speaker 1: Master Ruddy rsl Back. In action on saturday at houston that is a Six TO. Thirty first kick on apple tv brought to you Today, by my friends at prize picks which is the best place. To get real money sports action with over ten million members and, Billions Of dollars in awarded winnings prize picks has Made daily fantasy sports accessible tall you just pick more or less on at least two players for a shout to win up. To one thousand times in cash run Your Game. All season long on. Prize picks very Easy to do we'll use. Tonight's Jazz Game As an example jazz grizzlies john morant more or less, than twenty three point five points Lowry market and who's playing after jazz got fined more or less. Than twenty two point five, points that's really easy to. Do and they're giving you money you might as well go grab that. And see If You like it, download the prize picks app TODAY use the promo code to espn seven hundred and you get fifty dollars when you. Place your first five dollar bet don't even need to win that five. Dollars bet, to get the fifty it's guaranteed so. Download, that prize picks app today. Congratulations halfway through that work week you are. One day closer to the weekend it Was Another Lovely. Day today in salt lake city was. About fifty two degrees and clear that is about to come. To an end for a moment we got. A chilly three day stretch coming looks like there's gonna, be some rain in the benches.
Speaker 2: Maybe some snow In the.
Speaker 1: Mountains. Nothing wrong with march forecast man, you never know in this state so, Almost to the warm weather consistently so Appreciate your. Ears, on A busy wednesday show, locally the jazz Are. In Action Taken on the grizzlies utah hockey Club. Is in action taking On Anaheim. That is here in Salt Lake. It is at, the delta center by the way when did this whole dumb conversation Start About whether or Not It's. Delta CENTER or the delta.
Speaker 3: Center.
Speaker 2: I'M i clearly missed something.
Speaker 4: Ah i think it's always kind of been. Like A somewhat of a topic, but i will say that recently as recent, of as the change IN ownership there has been a i will say, a kind push from the organization from folks in the pr from folks who are clearly, receiving direction from folks above them to Influence Us, to CALL it, the delta center, which i understand that's the name that's. What they want to go with, but when you're talking in sentences, sometimes you can't speak that way so.
Speaker 2: It makes, it, kind of tough wait wait wait so They Want. Us, to Say The, Delta center No just.
Speaker 4: Delta centering that's what i'm saying sometimes you need the the, in order to complete a.
Speaker 2: Sentence you, pick a different, hill.
Speaker 4: Just yeah just the no the it's. The it's it's.
Speaker 2: It's the dopes how about this Get us A Jazz guest. And i'll say? Delta center there, how About That, just a thought the Utah Jazz the it is the Utah Jazz, and it is the Delta Center Which is where the utah hockey club. Will be playing. The game tonight there you go?
Speaker 3: SO is.
Speaker 4: IT a game match i believe i believe.
Speaker 2: In hockey it is. A game soccer is a match i think they. Call it just a.
Speaker 1: Hockey game soccer is. A, Match Hockey Is a game anyway utah hockey club, in need of points in regulation can't go to overtime if, they Want to catch the wildcard which i'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Is going, to be a.
Speaker 1: Possibility so Busy busy show Today are the cowboys or the jets?
Speaker 3: Going?
Speaker 2: TO be watchable next. Year, No, i Didn't think so.
Speaker 4: No, well the cowboys will be watchable but they'll be like kind of. How they have been last decade. They'll be like h five. Ish, maybe it'll Be.
Speaker 2: Real fun Well at.
Speaker 1: Least, i'm Not a jets Fan Yes the Jets, officially waived aaron rodgers throw rogan who is a free agent for.
Speaker 2: The first time in his career where? Is that dude gonna end up and what? Does that look like Next.
Speaker 4: Year it sounds Like Maybe. Pittsburgh I'D rather have russell wilson and I Don't really want to, have Russell wilson right now either but I'd Rather. Go that direction than, AARON rodgers i'll tell You what. I May Be a jets fan if, Tyrod taylor's your Starter Next.
Speaker 2: YEAR i'd, Rather Have tyrod Taylor I mean aaron rodgers or.
Speaker 1: Russell wilson isn't Even an argument i'd rather Have Russell brand playing quarterback. Than, aaron rodgers at this point man. Another dude who's, LOST his mind by.
Speaker 4: The Way I do believe that. THE aaron rodgers ship is sailed I told you, that before the. Jets signed him as she did that. Was what two plus years ago. Apparently we're still having that combo?
Speaker 2: Would, you do a darkness retreat yeah. You, do, it, ALL the time no no No i mean. Like the WAY aaron did it like IF i decided to pay thirty K to send you up to, Oregon for your pay five days. I'm all, you would do. That oh yeah like five days all they do is keep you alive with food and you're in like. A little hut FOR five days.
Speaker 4: You're telling me i can stay in. A, hut with. Probably sound dampening no there's. Nothing, It's darkness with no sound right so. You're, not hearing, much of, anything no you're, not you know talking to folks you're, not sending emails back and forth, You're not paying attention to games you're, not doing anything for five, days just chilling. In the dark, maybe some herbs i'm all in.
Speaker 2: We're gonna we're gonna raise some, funds TO send you up there because i don't think you're. Making it, longer, THAN a day oh really. Yeah i think you're tapping out.
Speaker 4: Wow in a little dark.
Speaker 2: Room, in a little dark room well all. We're doing is, keeping YOU ALIVE you, got Nothing.
Speaker 4: If i i mean if, I'M taking IT as a challenge. I think I could do it i, think. I, could do, it fairly fairly well but yeah. SEND it in a dark room. I, do that. All the time.
Speaker 1: Okay fair enough, i'm Not judging i'm Not judging and i'm ambadatt but i'm not. Trying TO do, a darkness retreat like i said save the money and go in your. Room and, turn the, lights off but anyway all.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Let's get out of? Here porter what comes our way we are, Out and about? On remote Tomorrow what. Comes there Wearing a thursday show.
Speaker 4: On, A Thursday edition. Of the, program tony jones joins the SHOW. Talks of jazz talking some nba will flip over to the Youtes Hoop, side with our friend josh grant who was Very Excited. For the potential of alex jensen we'll Get Him. For the reality, Of Alex, jensen on the hill neil Smith We'll Discuss the aforementioned the Utah Hockey club. Playing at the delta center tonight dave. McManaman will stop by as well. Lebron return to La for treatment not with, the lakers as of right now and of course They. Are number two In the West we'll get the lakers the West of the Rest of the WEST Storylines From. Dave on the. Nba daily assist.
Speaker 1: There You go, That'll be a fun thursday show so tune in And Special, Thank You, Today To sean Mooney aaron shatt sarah todd and, pablo magh joinny bit of everything which is what we like to. Do on this little radio show. If you missed, any of IT website's an Option which is. Espn seven hundred sports dot com download our mobile app and then you can take us.
Speaker 2: On the GO wherever you go. It's the espn seven hundred App It's for free In the App.
Speaker 1: Store, of, the google play store then finally for what we do in our, space every afternoon for four hours we have a podcast and. We ask you to support it if, you're a listener to the show it helps us. Out wherever You Get your Shows. It's called The drive with, spence check it subscribe rate review, say nice things in the, comments give us all the stars. And You, Will Be, eternally blessed he's porter i'm spence saying To night. And have a good wednesday Evening talk to you on a thursday show and as always. You CAN find that right here aud ESPN seven hundred ninety two and Ifm PROUD To be. Part of utah's espn radio network