Speaker 1: Unsolved mysteries.
Speaker 2: Some crimes of murderer mysteries because the murderer, having foreseen every difficulty of avoiding detection, has successfully overcome these difficulties and.
Speaker 3: Has therefore actually avoided detection.
Speaker 2: But there are crimes in which the mystery lies in the manner in which the crime was committed. Such is the case of the bridge whist expert, as the New York Police termed the slaying of J. V. Maxwell in his apartment six forty four West seventieth Street, New York City. Since some of the characters are still alive, names of characters and places have been changed, but the dramatic reenactment is authentic in every detail. The scene is the six hundred block West seventieth.
Speaker 3: Street, New York.
Speaker 2: The milman on his rounds waves to a milkman across the street. Police Officer brown saunters down the sidewalk, and at that moment a woman walks down the street, up the steps to number six forty four, takes out the latch key, opens the door, and walks into the apartment as the clock strikes eat.
Speaker 1: I'll watch it. Who hell word, come here? I have a lock. You hear me? You need to still the rest in the room.
Speaker 2: Well he's dead now they'll clean through the head. When I call headquarters, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 1: What comes out of order? I'll use the one next door. Hey, you doutman?
Speaker 2: Then just standing at the door gaping, Get on the tone and call headquarters.
Speaker 1: Oh, cal, I'll get a body work. I haven't touched the body. No, I should say not. Why are you anyways? Why? No, he wasn't married. I'm the house keeper. I came in with a few minutes the door.
Speaker 4: I was gonna tell him something.
Speaker 1: I came in. I'm in up there. You were right? Uh, he leaves the door open when you went out.
Speaker 4: No, I was just coming into the day.
Speaker 1: I'll leave it in the one home you found the door locked? Yes, I had to even my chee to get in. How many people have pleased the next win?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well the lock was changing me last week.
Speaker 1: Anybody got in through the back door.
Speaker 4: There is no back door. There's a basement door. You gown the unsidy he this to the next one must have killed himself.
Speaker 1: Nobody coulda got him, killed himself and then went out and hit the gun. I suppose, Oh, I didn't think about the gun. Anybody who went him last night, not before I left.
Speaker 2: Mm, Max will smoke over his cigarette, not that I know, or was this one here on the matter shelf when he left last night? Then left burning and charged the show wasn't hiven ILSs uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is probably the DA and he's investigated.
Speaker 4: There's something else I don't understand.
Speaker 1: There was a lot I don't understand.
Speaker 4: But mister next over all whig and and he had artificial teeth. He was very particular, but nobody ever.
Speaker 1: Stilling it out him. And yeah, yeah, yeah, he doesn't have on his wig and he doesn't have his teething. Well that's the DA.
Speaker 2: And here, mister what if you uh found out offic And he was shot through the head. House was locked, both boys knocked down the inside and the old gun. Yeah, he was reading his morning now when he was shot. Heyes, Kelly, we got to his married him.
Speaker 1: He must have got him too. Mm.
Speaker 2: It was dead when you came in, you know. He he was still breathing and he he could have let the murder in his not the murner couldn't get off the motment.
Speaker 1: I called you head chorus. I was in the street to love the note for twenty minutes and not a say, but the more more more man? You saw him? Sure? I want to him. How long before this woman, missus Lawson arrived, Oh, less than five minutes. I Wait a minute, let's get this straight.
Speaker 5: No one has come out of this house. And the mail man delivered the name. Yeah, and whoever killed Max Well was still in the house.
Speaker 1: Sorry, mister Kelly, but that one do.
Speaker 2: I searched the post while we were talking in here, and there's more of than.
Speaker 1: This flat to shy there. Yeah, wait a minute, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: Maybe you didn't see anyone come out of this.
Speaker 1: Flat, but someone did.
Speaker 3: That's that.
Speaker 2: Oh, mister Wilson. I was working my beat, and I would have seen anyone leave. And he was killed all the over and repaint. Oh kidn't he garry? He's got the mail in his hand.
Speaker 1: I realized that as soon as I spoke it. Something else to puzzle over. Look at the bullet hole smack with the settle the SPoD. Yeah, but look where the bullet hit the role? Can you beat that? Tell thee where would a man have to stand in order to fowle a shot on that angle? Okay, down here, sir, that's right, It's all right, except for.
Speaker 2: One phone, starting fifteen feet away from Maxwell, and the shot was fired within.
Speaker 5: Three feet The powder bones for the man would have to be lying down on the floor the fire the shot.
Speaker 1: Of pat who powdered bone, So it would shame. But what was Maxwell? The way waiting for the murders to take aim got me? Bee's got more than movies, Wilson. Yeah, I'm going out for a minute. Then they call the phone comedy. Yeah, yes, I've got an idea. I'll be back in a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Are the wether killed? Maxwell must have Well, it must have been well known to him. Well, we know that because he admitted the murder himself. But more than that, he was particular about his appearance, which, as Arson said to he wouldn't have admitted anybody, that is, anybody he didn't know very well for that first put him on his wagon, put him in his artificial teeth. So there was a murder was a man and not a woman, and he was a man from whom Maxwell had no secret. All the reasoning Browns, but it neither gives us a motive. Orders could explain how the murder got out without being won. Yeah, Butter, Wilson, it does have to explain how the murderer got close enough to Maxwell to kill him at three feet without arousing his suspicion. You're right, Brown, your deadlike wheready at least marrows the fee the frits down the next roy the media friends, Oh here's carry.
Speaker 1: What if I know?
Speaker 2: You say, Brown that this phone is out of heard of this morning, Jessel, I try to use it, and missus Allison said, for several days. Well listen to this the phone company's records or call an incoming call the previous.
Speaker 5: Morning, and that's well called rockaway one eight poor one and at six y nine they called hi numbering Garden's idiot. But you, missus Lawston, say that the phone has been out of order for days.
Speaker 1: You know because the other day the shot that drove over there for the phone, because well it's beyond me.
Speaker 2: The fellows shot through the head apparently makes nowhere for the pipe must have been shot by someone lying on the floor.
Speaker 1: Door both up and bolded, the house under observation for at least twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: And the man doesn't work that long with the bullet to his brain. I tell you what, yeah, what the eight This play shows me jibbery. Let's go around a headquarters, send out the fingerprint boys and talk it over down in my office where things like this.
Speaker 3: The fingerprint boys went out to the Maxwell flat.
Speaker 2: They found nothing, No fingerprints but those of the legitimate occupants of the house.
Speaker 3: Cigarette on the mantel shelf. The Lotus cigarette meant nothing.
Speaker 2: The investigator has never knew before that the Lotus brand of cigarette was so popular. They's remarks about talking it over in the office became a joke to the department because every day Kerrie Brown, the police, surgeon Wilson, and the fingerprint boys collected there to discuss the murder of the bridge whist expert.
Speaker 1: I tell you, chief, it.
Speaker 3: Was all rubbish.
Speaker 2: The man had five hundred dollars in bills in his pant parket, five thousand dollars worth of jewelry, lying loans on his bureaus. And if it were robbery, how come the thief gets within three feet of him before pubs it. And I don't care if it's robbery, mayhem or anything else. That doesn't explain how the murderer got into a locked house. Wind was bolded killed a man with a forty five A fly on the floor of dick walks out with the milkman watching. A milkman who swears, but no one left the hole, backed up by the policeman on the beat.
Speaker 1: There's for the woman. The housekeeper says that the murdered man was breathing and chaired the room.
Speaker 2: Everybody in the neighborhood seems to have been watching the house and no one, not a sal sings.
Speaker 1: The murderer leave and not a soul. Here's the shot? What's that you said?
Speaker 2: Not a soul heard the shot? A gosh, here's the solution, if only we knew how to apply it.
Speaker 1: What terriblein is eight o'clock. He's dead, stock to the brain? How they burn? So the shot was fired? Everything three beat doors, not.
Speaker 2: He's outside, No man outside, postman brings mail, so we know he was killed after that day, person, that's a second puzzling remark. You passed in five minutes. Not a soul heard the shot?
Speaker 1: And do we.
Speaker 3: The chance remarks of a policeman on the beat.
Speaker 2: But they were the answers to the riddle which has haunted New York's police department for fifteen years. But we believe that we have an answer. Ladies, and gentlemen, the solution for what you have been waiting. The scene is the six hundred block West seventieth Street. A few minutes before eight, a figure the mail man walks down the street and up the steps to number six forty four rings the bell.
Speaker 3: Oh, forgot some mail to you. I just came to the doll a moment ago and got the mail.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not the mail man.
Speaker 3: Do oh on earth is the idea of the the sky.
Speaker 6: Don't take me standing here?
Speaker 1: You got my letter?
Speaker 3: Yes, I got it? Come in, come in here? You uh, don't mind if I continue to read my mail.
Speaker 6: I'm only interested in one letter in your mail?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Will you give it to me?
Speaker 3: Well I won't.
Speaker 1: You know what I said to you yesterday over the prone quite well.
Speaker 3: And I haven't came over my papers and run up a book.
Speaker 6: Mist jab, there's a mother.
Speaker 1: I will go down in my moon.
Speaker 3: To you, set up off your knees and forget another drammer.
Speaker 1: Look here, JB, my handbagging little pool.
Speaker 3: Don't touch that gun.
Speaker 1: Listen, JB.
Speaker 6: I'm going to kill you, idiot. You can't get away with this, Oh I can, I planned it, don't you. I'm promising you you've all kill you. He asked about my disguise.
Speaker 1: Now is it clear?
Speaker 6: No one notices a male man and this gun?
Speaker 3: JB.
Speaker 6: You recognize it, my husband. It has a silence, but you, you JB, won't even hear it.
Speaker 1: Click. How a letter? Where is it? I'm a chair, I willed it. Oh he's not so heavy.
Speaker 3: The kneeling woman, the mood chair.
Speaker 2: These were the two things which confused the police when they investigated the acute angle the bullet had made. The male man's disguise suggested itself to the woman because it was a letter she wished to recover from Maxwell. The mail man's disguise was what confused the witnesses as to the time element. Some of them saw the real male man, others the murderer in disguise. So the murderer, partly by luck and partly by planning, had left the New York Police another unsolved mystery.
Speaker 1: Unsolved mysteries.
Speaker 2: Down the ages, Man has been seeking the answer to the riddle what happens in the unseen realm beyond? With all our science, we're as far from answering that question as man was in the beginning. But with the accumulated records of the past. The conviction is borne strongly upon some that there is a link joining us mortals with those who have fast this way before.
Speaker 1: The day of the birds. Not everybody has not.
Speaker 3: The film is the famous American newspaper correspondence Home