Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It is Mother's Day, and baseball and Mother's Day always seems to coincide with each other, and we're to join right now by a man that not only is a great son, but he's a great father and has a great wife that raises their little baby boy. And that's the one and only Tommy Edmund. Happy Mother's Day, Tommy.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it. I don't know if you can say that to me, but Happy Mother's Day all all the mothers out there, yeah.
Speaker 1: No doubt, and especially your wife, because you guys are raising a little boy right now. Kristen Edmund is doing a great job at home while you do your thing with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yep, she's doing an amazing job. You know, it's not easy for the wives of baseball players with how much we travel, but you know, she's a rock star. She's doing a great job and you know, just an amazing mom.
Speaker 1: Hey, you can appreciate this. Growing up a Dodger fan and growing up in SoCal, we always used to hear Vince Scully give his wife Sandy a lot of praise. But now that you're living it. How true is it to have the support system of a great wife and a great mom at home that's raising your son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is so important, you know, just to be able to come home and have the peace of mind, you know, of having that that good support system. You know, two people that love you so much, you know, my I love I love spending time with my son Eli in the mornings when I get home from games. And then obviously having my wife there too, who's been busy all day, but you know, is still there and still there to greet me when I get home, and you know, it's just amazing to have both of them there waiting for me.
Speaker 1: So, ten game, ten day road trip that you're wrapping up today on Mother's Day day game coming up right now, do you believe that you'll have time to treat Kristen to a great Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Yes, it'll be a little bit of a busy day, but got some Mother's Day shopping done in Atlanta on this road trip, so you know, hopefully, hopefully it turns out well. But yeah, I know we'll we'll get to spend the day together after the game, you know, flying back to la and then we got the off day on Monday.
Speaker 1: Look at you, Tommy had been planning ahead.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm terrible at planning usually, but yeah, I don't know. You know, it's Mother's Day, a special day.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Tommy Edman is our guest and your mom, Maureen. She's been a big part of your life, obviously a support system as you grew up wanting to play the game of baseball. How much has she meant to your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's you know, she means a lot to me. She was, you know, one of my biggest supporters growing up, to go to every game and you know, constantly cheering me on. And she's a huge baseball fan and continues to watch every game that I play today.
Speaker 1: Did she get you into baseball? Who had a big influence on you?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, my dad's a baseball coach. He's coached baseball for you know, thirty what is it thirty years now? Thirty five years? But yeah, so actually the first baseball game I went to though I was I was about two or three days old, and my mom took me to one of my dad's I think it was a high school game that he was coaching. So yeah, she was, you know, always taking me to games, and yeah, the two of them together kind of got me into baseball.
Speaker 1: How are you handling this time away from the team being on the i L. I see you putting in work every day, So how are you keeping your mental health in a good spot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm still able to do a lot of things, you know, baseball. Why so I'm just trying to do as much baseball activity as I can, just so that, you know, when my ankle's ready to come off the ie L. You know, there's not any kind of transition period where I got to build back up to baseball stuff. Just trying to stay fresh as best as I can. And you know, I think doing that helps me to kind of keep my mind in a good place.
Speaker 1: It's so wild that you're able to do everything except running a straight line. Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just kind of the nature of the injury. You know, I'm able to take round balls, go side to side, and then getting up to full speed is the last step, all.
Speaker 1: Right, before I let you go. Tommy edmand two nights ago, show how Tani and your teammates came back with a six run ninth inning. Oh, Tani bat flipping and just what he did for you guys. What from where you were sitting here in the dugout, can you describe what was going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, you know that that was one of the craziest games I think, you know, definitely the craziest regular season game I've I've seen and and uh, you know it just it seems like whenever we play at this stadium here in here in Arizona, there's some some wild games for whatever reason, and uh, you know that that game was certainly one of them. You know, I think when show hate came up in the ninth inning, definitely all the Diamondbacks, you know, players were pretty nervous, and I think we all just had confidence that he was gonna do something special like he always does, and and he certainly came.
Speaker 1: Through all right. Tommy Edmond, thanks a lot for the time. Great to share you on Mother's Day with all the moms out there, and certainly I know you've got a special place for your mom, Maureen, and certainly your wife Kristen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, happy Mother's Dad. Everybody out there, you know, we appreciate all of you and and all the all the work you do.