Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine. Ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it?
Speaker 2: We offer you Escape.
Speaker 3: Escape Transcribe to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are standing on the rolling deck of a pirate junk in the China Seas and facing you as the sinister figure of the most feared man in the Orient, a general who has just doomed you to death.
Speaker 3: Today, with Bill Conrad starred as O'Hara, We Escaped to China and the gripping story of pirate treasure. As Charles Booth told it in his fascinating novel, The General died at dawn.
Speaker 1: Yemp. China was spitting me out like a cherry pit. I was sitting that afternoon on a bench in the strip of park that fronts the harbor of Shanghai, and all I had in my pocket was an English shilling, and it was counterfeit el. I sat there and stared at a ship in her berth at the Asia Pacific Docks. She was a crack liner named Pearl of the Orient. Due to sail at eleven the following morning, Europe bond by way of Suez, hell, bitterness, a counterfeit English shilling, a need for physical action. All of a sudden they melted into each other and bubbled into an idea. I left the harbor and made my way to Frenchtown, to a narrow street of two and three story buildings, and into one of them, and up a shabby stare, and along a dim corridor to a door with mark Ramsgate printed on it in gold letters. Ramsgate. I've come for the fifth teen hundred? You or me?
Speaker 2: Would you mind shutting the d double ore? There's a simply killing draft.
Speaker 1: The fifteen hundred Ramsgate. I want it now?
Speaker 2: Aren't you the persistent one?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Where was it you say you advanced me this huge sum.
Speaker 1: Of money chunking four years ago?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, chunking. I was in a nasty mess with the police, and you simply flew to my aid as a fellow American. Isn't that it? Hmm?
Speaker 1: Delicious?
Speaker 6: But two too.
Speaker 1: Fantastics start counting out the money, ramscatell You listen to the man.
Speaker 2: I'm a private investigator, mister o'haran, not a banker or a missionary.
Speaker 1: I am not the most patient man on the China coast, Ramsgate, mister O'Hara, can you crack a walnut between your forefinger and thumb?
Speaker 6: I can.
Speaker 2: You see? Would you mind leaving now? I've scads of things to do.
Speaker 1: What's this? Defel careful?
Speaker 2: Let's ming now?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Gorgeous, isn't it? I use it for a goldfish bowl.
Speaker 1: It's empty.
Speaker 2: I didn't feed them. They lasted six days.
Speaker 1: Hell, if you have no goldfish, you don't need the ball.
Speaker 2: I'll smash you for that.
Speaker 1: I can be smashed. Try it. He was strong and very fast, and wore an enormous ring which was damaging whenever he landed a punch. But he lost his coolness, his best asset, really, and it didn't last very long ago.
Speaker 7: Do you treat all your visitors like that?
Speaker 1: Mister Ramsday? Oh? Hello, come in, come in, shut the door. I have a seat, miss sir, missus Mallory, Irene Mallory.
Speaker 7: Why yes, we speak privately, mister Ramsgate.
Speaker 1: Well, my friend on the floor is fast asleep. What can I do for you?
Speaker 7: I came to ask you to locate someone for me, A man here in Shanghai's a job to be done, and he's the one for it.
Speaker 1: Oh, what's his name?
Speaker 7: O'harah Gerald O'Hara. Do you know him?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Who sent you to me?
Speaker 7: Papa County. O'Hara was at the Hotel County this morning broke and told Papa he expected to collect some money from a man named Ramsgate. Has he been here?
Speaker 1: He's been here. I I can find him for you, but it's going to be expensive. My fee will be.
Speaker 7: Fifteen hundred dollars five and five one two three four five. He you are, thank you, Please work very quickly, very quickly.
Speaker 1: Is there anything I can tell him concerning the job for which he is the one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 8: Tell him.
Speaker 7: It involves General Yang Yang's business agent half a million dollars in gold. I'll be waiting at the hotel CONTI mister Ramsgay, Good afternoon, Good after.
Speaker 2: You play the loveliest hand book her. Mister O'Hara got the fifteen hundred you came for, didn't you?
Speaker 1: How you bounce back fast? How much did you?
Speaker 5: Hear?
Speaker 1: Ramsgay?
Speaker 2: That's for me to know you'd find al I will. Good afternoon, mister O'Hara, Good afternoon. Would you mind closing the d double door?
Speaker 1: Yes? Well, I had what I came for. All right, I would argue the ethics of it with myself. When the planks of the Pearl of the Orient were beneath my feet and I was on my way to an atmosphere that didn't rot a man's brain with the dampness of things dead and done. I turned into Nan King Road and stopped in front of the Asia Pacific Office and the plate glass window the Gerald O'Hara who'd helped build the Trans Siberian Railroad, who'd gone after Ivory and Ruby and gold. That Gerald O'Hara. Took a look at the Gerald O'Hara who'd roocked Irene Mallarray out of fifteen hundred dollars, And then I hailed a rickshaw and told the boy to take me to the hotel Pierre.
Speaker 9: Conte Ah sure, old, my friend, some marche.
Speaker 1: Smash, Papa conte a marsh, do me a favor. Will you have missus Mallory paged and brought here and let me use this office for a few minutes?
Speaker 9: Hello your desk, woo you Mallory. Coun you lie like or sage you lou.
Speaker 1: Papa about the money I owe you? I I thought i'd have it for you today but my lead blew upper. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh you sorry.
Speaker 9: We have known each other all these years. You bear the scar of a knife that was meant for me, and you expect me to pause you for money.
Speaker 1: Huh jer Well, it's the bill and it's got to be paid.
Speaker 9: Then let me worry about it. There's no point in us both worrying. Oh, that will be missus. Mallory does cognac on the desk.
Speaker 7: Good evening, mister O'Hara.
Speaker 1: Oh, I suppose Kanti told you who I was?
Speaker 7: No, I recognized you this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Ah, here's the money you gave me. Oh do you know what the yards were when you handed it to me? If your ever seeing me again, I was ready to cut my best friend's throat for the price of a ticket West.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't you prefer to leave with a good bit more than that?
Speaker 1: Oh the half million you mentioned?
Speaker 7: Yes? Would you care to hear about it?
Speaker 1: Well? Perhaps care is too strong a word, but I'll listen.
Speaker 7: Is a man named George Martel registered here. He's General Yang's business agent. Do you know him?
Speaker 1: Your eyes are lovely? I like your eyes.
Speaker 7: Yang had five hundred thousand dollars worth of gold bars here in Shanghai. Can you guess why he kept his funds in bullion?
Speaker 1: I haven't be hard to abscond with almost half a ton of.
Speaker 7: Gold, and Martel has been converting that into American dollars for some time now. But there are two things he doesn't know. Yang is aware of what he's doing, learned about it last week. And Yang will be here in Shanghai tonight.
Speaker 1: Yang enjoys a good deal of tolerance in the city, but he's still an outlaw with a price on his head. He has no legal recourse.
Speaker 7: He's got thumb screws and jack boots. Don't you see what I'm getting at? Martell's life isn't worth a grain of rice? Once Yang arrives.
Speaker 1: Yang's here, now? What he's here? Now? I saw Sergeant Wang is adc dressed as a koolie downe at the docks this morning.
Speaker 7: All the better unless Martel shares the money with us, we won't help him escape from Shanghai. You uh, you could arrange a way out for him, couldn't you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I know ways. But I am not the man for the job, Missus Mallory. I'm as empty as a sucked egg. I'm tired, very tired. I just want to crawl out of Asia. I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: No pride, nothing certain positive, not even enough to resent that or this?
Speaker 1: Why are you little?
Speaker 7: You're hurting my wrist.
Speaker 1: O'Hara, come here to me. Mm hmmm. Where's Martel now?
Speaker 7: In the bar? Then he goes to dinner. That's his routine.
Speaker 1: You know his room number? Yes, well lead me to it? Was that the last volise in the closet? Yes, well, we know now that Martel doesn't keep the money in his room.
Speaker 7: That would have been too obvious.
Speaker 1: Oh, never be deceived by the obvious, mydea. The techniques of hiding and finding haven't changed since Poe stated them in the Pearloined letter. Next time someone's coming down the hall, out of the light. What else behind the screen? H what perfume do you use? It's marvelous?
Speaker 2: Well, oh, the heavenly room you have, mister Martin, My so comfy.
Speaker 10: Get to the point, mister Ramsgate, what is it you wanted to speak to me about.
Speaker 2: General Yang Shanghai funds? And what do you intend to do with them?
Speaker 6: Have you been prying into my affairs?
Speaker 2: Just no, busybody, don't try for a gun.
Speaker 8: Just don't.
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 2: You want all the money.
Speaker 6: You have and the alternative.
Speaker 2: I'll tell Yang of the naughty, naughty.
Speaker 1: Thing you've done.
Speaker 6: Mister Ramsgate.
Speaker 2: I beg you. Either give me the money, you'll be prepared to face Yang.
Speaker 1: And tell Oh harah, how about George. I ain't see if Ramsgate has a gun? George. Have you met missus Maworray?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Heah, how good?
Speaker 1: Now see if George has one? Ah, easy, George, here it is all right, now put it in your purse. George. You know me, don't you? I mean you know me?
Speaker 6: Eh? I know you? O Haarah?
Speaker 1: Were you going to except Ramsgate's offer? I think that it wouldn't have done you any good. Yang has a price on your head right now, didn't you know?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, Ramsgate would have taken your money and turned you over to Yang anyway.
Speaker 10: And I thought that I'd be able to think of some scheme while Yang was on his way.
Speaker 1: On his way, Yang's in Shanghai right now.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Look, now here's our opposition. One third apiece to each of us, and I'll help you escape.
Speaker 6: One third to.
Speaker 1: Each of us, one third to you. You better take it, George, well, but tomorrow morning, Yang will have blocked every exit from Shanghai. You could think of you need us, George, and you know I always fulfill my end of a contract.
Speaker 6: Help me, help me? Please accept?
Speaker 1: Yes, good y. Where's the money I wanted in my hand before I so much as make a move in your favor.
Speaker 10: It's not here in the hotel. I mean, it's in a safe in my office in the rue. Let's go after a George, Let's go after it.
Speaker 1: We left the hotel Conte, I hailed a taxi and George gave the driver the address. It was just past the dinner hour and the night traffic was thickening across the harbor. I could see the lights of the Pearl of the Orient. Tomorrow morning, I thought to myself. Tomorrow morning I'd be on deck taking a last long look at China the fortune of my pocket. Irene followed my glance and then smiled up at me and squeezed my arm. Have you ever been to France, Irene? Yes, you know the stretch along the coast of Normandy between off Floor and Traville. No, I uh, I'd like to show it to you sometime.
Speaker 7: I'd like to see it sometime good.
Speaker 1: We got out at the shabby end of the Rue monteven Martel was trembling so violently that I had to take the key from his hand and open the door myself. Hazy, George, and I just take it easy.
Speaker 6: I am in a bloody blue funk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know the feeling, George. Now, where's the money.
Speaker 6: It's in the safe, small volie in the safe.
Speaker 1: I'll get it.
Speaker 10: You really can get me out of Shanghai.
Speaker 1: Look at me, George, I really can cat I.
Speaker 6: Right right, ah, nothing left.
Speaker 1: You know there's a drink they drink in Normandy called Calvados, a brandy.
Speaker 6: Did you have a tasted?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Really, vast horizons will soon open for you. I think there have you got it? You're out taking Now, where's the key? The bag's locked, I always carry it, O'Hara. Well, face at the window, the light, shoot, shoot, and I don't think I hit anything. Let's get back to the hotel. The street was deserted as we left Martel's office. I expected almost anything, but nothing happened, nothing at all except that I slipped on the broken glass scattered about the sidewalk, almost broke my neck. And we took a taxi back to the hotel. Conti. No, we won't go to your room, George, Irene will hold up in yours.
Speaker 7: Do you think we're safe here?
Speaker 1: Well, it's relative. We're safer in the country than any other place else in Shanghai. Not that that's saying much. Least we have an ally here, Papa Conte himself. Here you go, George. Thanks now, Irene, here's the money. Don't let this valise out of your sight for a moment. Take the gun out of your personal you know how to handle it. Some sit down, George. Yeah, no, no, not on the chair. Sit on the floor, facing the wall, and look, Irene, you've got a double job. Keep George and the money in and everyone else out. Understood or horror, you're not going well, I have to arrange your exit. Do you expect me to do it by telegram? Or that reminds me I'll need that fifteen hundreds of years again it How much do you weigh?
Speaker 7: One hundred and eighteen?
Speaker 1: Hum delicious.
Speaker 7: Here's the fifteen hundred you'll.
Speaker 1: Be repaid out of. George's under the cut going now, I'll be back in about oh three hours at the latest. Lock the door after me, I see you soon.
Speaker 7: Take care of yourself, O'Hara, right.
Speaker 1: Wish I can think of something entirely reassuring, But all I can come up with is this. I think we've got a fifty to fifty chance of making it. They'll tell you Shanghai is the coldest blooded, most cynical city in the world, as none of the charm of Paris, or the comfort of London, or the youth of New York. But as I made my roundabout way to the docks, past the food shops and the dens, and the coffin makers and the hockey talk joints, I suddenly no longer cared about that. I felt vaguely excited and eager for the next moment. And then finally I found the man I was looking for after a tour of the bars. He was a big bearded suite named Nelson, the owner and captain of an old bum freighter, and after an hour or so of negotiation, we had it straight. He'd have a taxi driven by himself, parked near the alley two blocks from the contee, ready to pick Martel up at dawn and carry him to the ship fifteen hundred down and another fifteen thousand from Martel when he was safe on deck. And that was that. I was back at the hotel by two thirty Irene irene itt O'Hara, irene Irene. I put my ear to the door and listened nothing. I grasped the knob to shake it, and the door swung open. The lights were on, and the room looked as though a tornado had gone roaring through bureau drawers open, clothes flung out, luggage slashed, and Martel lay upon the bed, staring at the ceiling, his face ripped badly, his hands and legs tied tightly. I walked over and put my fingers to his neck. He was dead. The small valise lay next to him on the pillow was open and empty. Made my way to the back room. Iren, ohharah, turn off that water.
Speaker 7: I was trying to stop the bleeding.
Speaker 1: Give me the towel and I come on in the other room. What's happened?
Speaker 7: I don't know. A couple of hours after you left, there was a light knock at the door, and a voice that sounded like yours said, open the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, don't look.
Speaker 7: At me like that. It was time for you to be back. And I had the gun. I opened the door just a crack and suddenly I hand appeared and it turned out the light him. That's all. When I came to it was the way it is in there, and I had a bump on my head.
Speaker 1: The money's gone, I know. Have any idea who did it?
Speaker 6: No? None?
Speaker 7: It could have been anybody.
Speaker 1: Could have been you. Ohharah, why not? You had the chance. And as you say, you had the gun, it could have been you.
Speaker 7: Yes, and it could have been you, But I don't think it was.
Speaker 1: Connect me with mister Cotty. Please, oh harrah, Hello, Papacotty. Uh this o'harah? Look, will you come to missus Mallory's room immediately?
Speaker 6: Please?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: What are you going to do?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 1: I want to speak to Papacotta. He's probably the wisest man in Shanghai.
Speaker 7: Do you think I did it?
Speaker 1: I didn't say you did. I said it could have been you, and it could have too. But I want to talk to CONTI. There are things that bother me about the whole deal. I connected in some way with slipping on the broken glass in front of George's office and George being beaten to death. Now, why should anyone have done that. The money was there and George was tied securely. Why beat him? And something about Georgie's having to depend on me for a getaway. I always considered him a very cautious and careful man. He had the money, surely he would have planned his own escape long before I. That's probably probably conty. I'll get it.
Speaker 8: He desired.
Speaker 1: Come in, Papa.
Speaker 2: Good morning, mister O'Hara rams inside, Papa khanty. All clear, General.
Speaker 1: Ohara, Hello Yang your Ramsgate?
Speaker 6: Close the door, all right?
Speaker 5: He see? If Ohara is a pleasure, I have it. General, So the dog.
Speaker 1: Is dead and the bone is buried.
Speaker 4: Oh I will find the bone.
Speaker 1: Well, first you must find the other dog.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I'm looking at him.
Speaker 1: Try to prove it.
Speaker 4: If you do not kill Marteo, why have you not sent for the police?
Speaker 1: Shall I telephone them? Now?
Speaker 6: Oharah, what would you.
Speaker 4: Do if you were in my position?
Speaker 1: Well, I'd search the luggage and personal property of all of those here. Then if I didn't find the money, I'd question us, all of us, including Ramsgate. And if I didn't find what I was looking for, I'd make my apologies and look elsewhere.
Speaker 5: It is good advice or accept it.
Speaker 4: Kanty, you have a baggage truck in your garage, Go outside, give the keyto Sergeant Wong, and no tricks.
Speaker 6: Conty.
Speaker 4: My men are at every entrance and every floor ramsgate. Yes, General, go it, County. Tell same food to take a squad of men. Pick all the bags belonging to missus Mallory and Papa Conti and George Martail. Bring it to my headquarters. Tell them to take all some more Tail's body.
Speaker 2: Yes, General, come along, can't he?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Harah, You and missus Mallory will come with me too, to the pier of yin Lewin Company and suit your creek, and then to my Shanghai headquarters. The Lao Ping, a sea going junkie lies in the anchorage.
Speaker 6: Come o'here, come.
Speaker 1: It's almost four o'clock. How long do you intend to keep us aboard? Yang?
Speaker 4: Their money is neither upon your person nor among your belongings. I must now persuade you to talk. Will you do so willingly? And if we do not, I will turn you over to my bodyguard.
Speaker 6: You have heard of them?
Speaker 1: Who hasn't?
Speaker 2: What have you heard?
Speaker 1: I know something about your destiny being their destiny and their lives being your lives, and that they would do anything under heaven that you commanded.
Speaker 2: That is correct?
Speaker 6: Will you talk where?
Speaker 1: Look, General, I know nothing of Martell's death or the location of the money, as I've already told you.
Speaker 7: Missus Marlery, I can't add anything to what I've already said, not can I?
Speaker 6: In myrtale has been silence, pity?
Speaker 1: General? Aren't you going to ask Ramsgates?
Speaker 2: Ask me why? The General and I understand each other thoroughly?
Speaker 6: Don'try?
Speaker 2: General? It was I who told the General where to find you all, didn't I?
Speaker 8: General?
Speaker 2: What could he possibly ask me?
Speaker 1: Now? During the past hour, I've thought of one or two things he might ask you? Yang, you've noticed the cuts on Martell's face?
Speaker 6: I noticed them.
Speaker 1: Now have you noticed the cuts on mine? They are like? And have your notice the ring Ramsgate.
Speaker 2: Wars General, Excellency, there's a conspiracy to injure me in your eyes?
Speaker 4: Let me see the ring. Let me see it, excellency, still flecked with blood.
Speaker 2: You kill a dog? Yes, yes, Excellency, I did, but only to avenge you, only to avenge.
Speaker 4: Where is the money?
Speaker 2: I don't know? I swear, I don't you lie? No no.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: When I opened the volice the woman was guarding it, it was empty lies empty. No, General, General, don't touch.
Speaker 8: Me, don't touch me.
Speaker 1: God, he has a knife.
Speaker 2: Okay, excellency, No, I didn't mean to.
Speaker 6: No, don't shoot.
Speaker 2: Excellent, don't don't.
Speaker 8: Shoot one.
Speaker 4: One one chins are you O'Hara?
Speaker 7: What is he ordering him to do?
Speaker 1: Something about? Killing us? Yang? This is a thing I never expected to see a man of destiny stabbed by a fat fool while his bodyguard is loyal bodyguard of twelve stands by and watch us.
Speaker 4: You'll find it the music Before I die, You and your friends will be dead. Can you laugh at that?
Speaker 6: Also?
Speaker 1: Perhaps, but not as much as all. China will laugh at Yang's loss of face. China will laugh for centuries to come at the story of how Yang was killed while his devoted bodyguard lived.
Speaker 4: China will not laugh at Yang. My body God will not live. They will have shot one another at whose command, at my command?
Speaker 1: It will be there.
Speaker 4: We'll also they have lost face too, and unbearably can they continue to live?
Speaker 1: No one will believe that your body God foolish enough to let you be stabbed, would a bear a command to kill themselves. H your name will be a laughing stock. No, they will joke about you in the tea houses. No, your sons will die of shame. No, and why because twelve dead fools with rifles in their hands will be all that you have to speak for you?
Speaker 6: You lie? You lie?
Speaker 2: I will sure you what dick ming.
Speaker 8: Quite not? You quiet?
Speaker 4: Where you qua see how they line up facing each other, six or six.
Speaker 1: They face each other, But they do not aim at each.
Speaker 8: Other, mayn't yeh?
Speaker 4: Do you see how they take aim at each other?
Speaker 1: They take aim at each other, Yang, but they do not fire.
Speaker 4: They will they will win, not command. Now watch and you will see a thing to make you marvel, to marvel again whenever you remember, Yang, God, Papa.
Speaker 8: Was Yang not right?
Speaker 6: Was he not right?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 6: This I said?
Speaker 1: Good bye Papa, County, good bye General.
Speaker 9: Then much good luck? And do you want so, missus.
Speaker 7: Mallory, thank you, Papa Candy. I'll send you a piece of the wedding cake.
Speaker 1: Do that. Thanks for everything. I I'll repay you the loan as soon as I can.
Speaker 9: Of course, of course, in general, missus Mallory, could you stand there have a bitter joke upon yourselves what's that about the money you two sold? A letter came for George Mattel this morning. It is from a brokerage firm here in Shanghai. It says, Dear George, this is to confirm our conversation of this morning. Unless you can raise forty thousand dollars additional margin, we will be forced to sell you out. We regret doing this to so good a customer, especially in the light of the half million dollar loss you suffered these last two months. But business is sincelio, you understand h Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought it might be something like that. That's why he didn't arrange for his own escape. Each day he expected to recop.
Speaker 7: His losses, and he checked us in his office on the room monte An. He didn't want us to learn the volice was empty, and so we pretended to have seen that face at the window.
Speaker 1: That's right. And then when we put out the lights, he must have thrown something through the glass, a paperwaight to the like. That's what puzzled me about a broken glass that was on the sidewalk and not in the room.
Speaker 2: It was also why Ramsgate killed him. He couldn't make a Rumskate believe his story.
Speaker 1: Papa, can't he may I have the letter I get for a souvenir, But of course thank you well.
Speaker 6: I wave to you from the show.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, goodbye, Papa.
Speaker 7: No regrets, Oharah regrets.
Speaker 1: None, No regrets for the past, and no doubts for the future.
Speaker 3: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Today we have presented transcribed The General Died at Dawn by Charles Booth, adapted for radio by Walter Newman, with editorials provision by John Duncle. Starred as O'Hara was Bill Conrad. Featured in the cast were Estelle Dodge, Larry Dobkin, Ben Wright, John Dayner, Jack Prusian and Peter Prowse. Special music was arranged and played by Ivan bitt Mars. Next week we Escape with the unusual story the Great Impersonation by E.
Speaker 2: Phillip Oppenheim.
Speaker 3: Be sure to tune in at the same time next week when once again we offer you Escape. The adventures of Ozzy and Harriet are now heard every Sunday night on most of these same CBS stations. Just before the Jack Benny Show. This is Roy Rowan speaking. Now stay tuned for five minutes of the latest news and the let's pretend program which follow immediately over most of these same CBS network stations. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System,