Speaker 1: Monster House Presents. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant, hairy creature Part eight parts.
Speaker 3: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 2: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster tal.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 5: I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Spooky.
Speaker 5: Greetings.
Speaker 4: It's finally October again and we're kicking off the month where everyone else finally remembers the gothic vibe that Monster Talkers hold deer all year. And it's time to start season four with a friendly little chat with Karen and her husband Matt Baxter about our theme for October Vampires. We'll be talking about a Croatian vampire whose name maybe Arnold Paoli Pioli or maybe it's Pool, who was hinted at in our previous episode with Professor Nick Groom. I was amused to notice in preparing for this episode that Arnold was a hi duke, a word I previously only recognized from the lyrics of the viral song Dragons Tied Dente aka the Newma Numa Song. When they have this line helloo heiduk, which means hello, Hello, I am an outlaw, So we'll be getting into his outlaw story and how it ties in with our modern understanding of vampires. But this also got me thinking about stuff that I read as a monster kid growing up, like the idea that hypertrichosis, or the hair growing medical condition behind famous sideshow figures like Julia Pastrana or Jojo the Dogface Boy might be behind werewolf stories.
Speaker 5: And then there's that whole.
Speaker 4: Idea that vampires might be explained by the disease porphyria. But where did that idea come from? I mean, I knew about those two diseases, as well as neurofibromatosis, which is the condition that John Merrick the Elephant Man may have had, all from reading books about monsters and weird medical conditions growing up.
Speaker 5: But it appears that the first paper.
Speaker 4: Connecting these diseases to monster lore was a journal paper called on Porphyria and the Eteology of Werewolves by Lee Illis in nineteen sixty four, And then in nineteen eighty five, Canadian scientist David Dolphin suggested that porphyria might be behind vampire legends.
Speaker 5: Porphyria is a.
Speaker 4: Horrific disease, and we don't need to invoke this rare genetic condition to explain vampires more accurately. The condition can resemble some of the worst effects of what movie vampires go through when they're exposed to sunlight. It's a fascinating set of symptoms that do overlap with some vampire lore. But it's such a rare genetic condition and so appallingly debilitating that it's a bit absurd to imagine anyone suffering from this condition lived long enough to become the basis of a vampire legend. Yet invoking the word porphyria outside of a medical milieu is kind of a shiboleth that you're plugged into eighties vampire books. Anyway, We've got several vampire episodes in a row for you, and now let's get onto the monstrutle. Okay, first of all, listeny, welcome back to another Monster Talk tonight. We have Matt Baxter joining us. Hey Matt, and Hey, we're going to be continuing because you know, by the time this episode comes out, we will have officially inch into two things. First of all, the spooky season of October, and second of all, our fourth season considering that our first season was more than two hundred episodes, that's such a weirdo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things up nowadays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so well we're going like fifty two to fifty three episodes of season, so that's pretty cool and fantastic. So we'll beat This will be season four, episode one. And we just got through talking to Professor Nick Groom about vampires.
Speaker 5: But even though we.
Speaker 1: Could sound like we just got through, no, no.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, it was like it's fresh.
Speaker 4: No, it was absolutely delightful, and I felt like we could have talked to him for several more hours and still just spent the whole time learning new things.
Speaker 6: And that's that's funny, because I think all of us have been lifelong fans of vampires, except for I told you about my recent discovery that my wife.
Speaker 5: As well that I guess, I don't know how else to put it. She's a vampire racist.
Speaker 1: She is more of a fan of were Wolve's correct.
Speaker 5: I think she likes were wolves. Yes. In fact, she likes to say that the first movie we saw.
Speaker 4: Together was an American werewolf in London. So she likes to say is that Well, it's one of those things that it's an important part of our marriage lore. It's also broussly inaccurate because it's the second movie we watched together. But that's another story.
Speaker 1: She oh, well, won't get into that. That would truly be monstrous.
Speaker 5: I don't want to open those old wounds again, arose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess why are we talking about vampires again since we spoke to Nick Groom. Well, I've got a vampire related project that's coming up, and this is Halloween season two. And as you say, most people love vampires.
Speaker 5: Most many, many people. That's right, but not my wife.
Speaker 4: So I guess I could say whatever because she won't listen to this because it's got vampires in the title.
Speaker 1: So well, then she'll listen to this to see if you're talking a bit about her.
Speaker 5: She doesn't even know I have a podcast.
Speaker 1: It's kind of kind of like that with my family too. Even though Matt sometimes appears on here, that doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 2: I thought this was a joke on Blake that we really don't have.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I've been talking into a bucket for since two thousand and nine.
Speaker 5: What what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We have spoken about vamp? Yeah, vampires, back to the topic. I think we did a live episode on vampires once before, speaking about our favorite vampires. Yeah, and so, I mean it all comes back to Osbourne Osborne on Usborn Guides, because that's where I first heard about vampires. I mean it was probably an Osmosis thing, hearing about vampire movies Dracula, And that was one of my first encounters with the vampires, was in one of these supernatural guides on vampires where wolves and demons. And it's interesting because Blake, you and I kind of came together because of stories like Jeff the Talkie Mongoose and Lord Dufferin's ghost story. And I think that this was a connection that Matt and I made that we both came across this particular tale, the story of a fellow called we thought it was we both thought it was Arnold Paol And we've recently been hearing more and more people pronounce his name is Arnold paul.
Speaker 5: Ah interesting, correct, Matt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 4: Well, all vampires are pale, pale, Yeah, at least in the South they are this, you know.
Speaker 1: But Matt, how did you hear about on a poll?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: I I don't think I had like one particular place. It was probably in a book that that I might have checked out from the school library or something, but it wasn't from the uh the Born books like you guys. You guys had all the cool stuff. But I remember reading about it and thinking, this is the coolest thing ever. It's like this, this was a real vampire. And it's interesting because I had written a piece of Highlander fan fiction as we.
Speaker 5: All do, as we all do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty pretty average, you know, I'm I know what I'm talking about it, But yeah, I thought, okay, this is great. You got these these immortals and everything. So what would happen if if somebody died and came back to life and thought that they were actually a vampire and not just like one of these immortals, you know, because why would they know? And what horrible things would they you know, get up to not knowing any better? And so yeah, I wrote this whole whole story. You know, Duncan McLeod, you know, and he has his little flashbacks. He flashed back to that time when he and Arnold were on that Hey rack or they trailer and he fell off and became an immortal and everyone thought he was a vampire, and it was a really fun little story, and how he had to Trent now in modern day, had to go track him down because he's still alive and helped his other you know, new be adjust to life as an immortal.
Speaker 5: So it was just a vampire, yeah, possibly, you know.
Speaker 4: You know, I haven't seen any Elvis is still Alive stories in a long time. But those, man, those were all up in the eighties. I mean they were all over the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember that a kid because what his middle name was misspelled on his tomb and all kinds of folklore about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I still always will love the Tommy Lee Jones comment in Men in Black that he didn't die, he just went home.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, so with the story of Arnold Paul Blake, are you familiar with it?
Speaker 5: No, please tell me about it?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I was going to read from the book if that's okay.
Speaker 5: That's sure, I mean from the Osbourne book pages long.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I've got it here, accompanied by all of.
Speaker 5: The fan I know. The illustrations are.
Speaker 4: Also, it's so funny because I think it's I've definitively come down that my introduction to Jeff had to be from the Osbourne books.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So, uh, it's just funny because there's these small, little children's books, yet they managed to cramp so much.
Speaker 5: Legendary coarse material there. I mean, and sure you can learn more, but I mean.
Speaker 4: Golly, they get the basics really good.
Speaker 5: They do a great job.
Speaker 4: Or as my wife will say, they get the basics very well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, reading from this story, so that the story of Arnold Paul. In seventeen twenty nine, a young soldier from Serbia named Arnold Paul was sent to a remote and haunted part of Greece. One night, he was viciously attacked by a vampire. He knew that unless he acted quickly, he would die and become a vampire himself. The only solution was for Arnold to find his attacker's grave, eat some earth from it, and smear his body with the vampire's blood. Although he carried out this remedy, Arnold was so afraid that he left the army and returned to his home. Arnold settled on his small farm in the village of and I think it's Medvega. It's got a little kind of diacritic on the d and have asked a Serbian friend to if that's pronunciation. He said, yeah, so we'll go with that.
Speaker 4: If any of our Serbian listeners want to correct us, you know how to contact us, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Please please do and they will ah so, and he seemed to be quite unharmed when he returned. However, during the harvest, he fell from a hay cart and died soon thereafter. He was buried in the local churchyard, but he did not rest there in peace. Within a month, Arnold was seen wandering the village at night. People who saw his spirit became very ill, and four died within a few days. Panic spread and it was decided Arnold's body must be dug up and checked for any signs of vampirism. This gruesome task was carried out one gray winter morning, about ten weeks after Arnold's funeral. The grave digger dug up the coffin, watched by officials from the capital city and army doctors, as well as local dignitaries. When the coffin was opened, what it revealed made everyone certain that they were dealing with a vampire. Arnold had moved to one side of the coffin, his hair and nails had grown, and his mouth was red with fresh blood. He looked like a living man. Arnold's corpse had to be dealt with in one of the traditional ways for ending vampirism before his soul could rest quietly. The villagers scattered garlic over Arnold's body and said prayers for his spirit. A steak of white whitehorn wood was driven into his heart with one blow, warm crimson blood gushed from the wound, as if Arnold was still alive, although he had been buried over two months. The corpse writhed in agony and let out a dreadful yell. The four victims of Arnold's nighttime attacks were dug up in case they had become vampires too. The reports of this epidemic of the undead in Medvega do not mention the condition of these corpses. However, it seems that they were vampires, as they were dealt with in the same way as Arnold had been stabbed by white thorn stakes and beheaded with a spade. Finally, all the vampires were thrown into a roaring bonfire and burned in the fierce flames. Fire was supposed to be the ultimate weapon for destroying vampires. A pile of smoldering ashes is impossible to revive. Once deprived of an earthly home, the vampire's soul was forced to go to the spirit world. Although all the vampires had been staked, burned, and reburied, within six years, a new epidemic broke out in the village. Once again, people were taken ill and became pale and weak, as if from a loss of blood. They died suddenly, just like Arnold's victims. The villagers now knew how to deal with the danger, and another party of investigators arrived from Belgrade. They examined every suspicious grave and found many corpses in a vampiric state. These included children and even small babies as well as adults. All were full of fresh blood so they would delt within the usual way. The ashes were then thrown into a river to carry them away. People suspected the new epidemic being caused by eating meat from animals once attacked by Arnold Paul. So that's the story, and I think it really encompasses a lot of that kind of Bulkan law you know prior to Dracula, following tales of Vlad the Impaler, But it really does cover a lot of the kind of peasant law as opposed to the vampires of fiction.
Speaker 2: I think it's also interesting that it also implies that there were vampire hunters. They called them investigators there, but yes.
Speaker 1: That's true, and I do wonder about that because I'm hearing a lot about even museums finding vampire hunter kits, and certainly a lot of YouTube videos, and I'm just a little bit suspicious about them. Do you know anything about vampire hunters?
Speaker 4: Blake, and yeah, so spoilers. It appears that most of the kids, well as far as I know, all the kids that have been identified, appear to be late Victorian recreations of what they think they should have looked like, which is disappointing because they look frigging cool. I know, Joe Nichol has a really nice one, and I've seen a lot of them in museums and it's just kind of sad because they look like authentically like they would be something. Well, they look like movie props. They look exactly like you would expect a vampire hunter to have. But they're mostly in response to sort of the rise of vampires in fiction, and as we kind of discussed in our previous episode, in the late eighteen hundreds, right yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Not like we'd have too much leftover from the medieval era anyway.
Speaker 5: But well, true enough.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's interesting because I think in an interview with Professor Groom, he talked about the Habsburg dynasty and that they had been responsible for doing investigations into Eastern European vampires, and this is one of the two cases that that was kind of famous. I guess the other was Peter Blagojevich. I'm sure I'm slaughtering that name in the same way that he.
Speaker 5: Slaughtered as victims.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, but it's the whole idea of predates on he does.
Speaker 5: He does.
Speaker 4: But my understanding is that that they're both Habsburg related cases, that, in other words, that that there were official royal investigations, which kind of ties up all these sort of I guess a lot of people who read modern understanding of these vampire cases read them as sort of primitive understanding of forensics, like the first time people really start to pay attention to what happens post mortem to people.
Speaker 5: So there's there's a really interesting sort.
Speaker 4: Of science tie in there, because we know way more now about what happens when people die and how that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but at the same time we've got things like supercarbra sightings and cattle mutilations.
Speaker 4: And I'm not saying we're smarter, but yeah, that's definitely true.
Speaker 1: Just to get back to the vampire sure, sure, yeah quickly, Matt made a good observation. Are you watching a video on one of them, and you're looking at the little containers that they had of aztec and little cute bottles full of poisons and things.
Speaker 2: The person that was kind of showing this kit, which did look pretty authentic and everything in terms of aged they said that this was the kind of thing that was marketed to travelers that were going to strange lands, and that seems really act like a great demographic to buy a vampire hunter kit. That seems like the perfect person because they don't know what they're coming into in this this new country. And if you've got somebody there going, oh no, no, trust this, you know you'll you're gonna need this. This seems like a great market right there. Still not authentic, but you know, an authentic fraud from from the get from.
Speaker 5: The get go.
Speaker 2: Now the thing is is I noticed that, you know the crosses that were also steaks of wooden stakes at the end were kind of held in the box with these clips that you had to kind of undo and really clumsy to get them out. And I'm thinking, Okay, if a vampires like you know, come and at that's probably not the best way to have those in there. And then like they had these candle holders and stuff, you know that you had to you know, there was some assembly required, and I think that's another great thing to have, is the vampires upon you. And then they showed this little packet of matches that you could strike a match and because fire is not the vampire's friend, was how it was stated, and I thought, oh lord, the only thing the vampire could do in its defense is to go.
Speaker 1: Maybe they can't.
Speaker 2: Well, but so yeah, just a lot of it just seemed absurd from the get go.
Speaker 5: But they are the coolest looking kids.
Speaker 2: I would love to have one of those kids, but I know that they are all fraud.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the lesson there is that LARPing did not begin in the twentieth century. I mean people were role playing way back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they were out metal LARPing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know where we want to go to from here, because I just put in some notes for kind of general discussion, but we kind of started with the story and well I didn't take it anywhere we want to ticket Well, one of the.
Speaker 4: Ways I want to I was going to say, I wanted to.
Speaker 5: Talk about the latning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there is that whole flattening thing exactly talking about how you know, I think it's a very European thing to make everything that drinks blood a vampire, you know.
Speaker 5: And there's another thing.
Speaker 4: In fact, we'll probably dig into that more because I'm very interested in talking about some of the other so called vampires.
Speaker 5: Maybe we should do.
Speaker 4: Let's try to make an episode this month on Asian vampire pyrrhic creatures. I'm not willing to call them vampires, but they certainly they sort of fall in that category.
Speaker 5: And that concludes this.
Speaker 4: The Filipino monsters the head comes off and searches for blood, and the I think it's been Malaysian, Hey why not both at the penn and Gal is the Malaysian version of this monster, and the Myna non Gal is the Filipino version of this monster. And we'll probably be talking more about them in future episodes. And then the Chinese hopping vampires, all kinds of varieties.
Speaker 1: Well, I wonder if we can find an expert in that time to talk about that, because that does make me think of earlier stories and talking with Professor Groom, we were talking predominantly about vampires kind of eighteenth century and beyond, and yet there are a lot of claims that vampires are universals and that they have existed across time and space. And from all the reading and research that Matt and I have been doing, we hear about ancient vampires and always have that link, as you say, Blake with to blood, that connection to to blood somehow, either drinking blood or being bloodthirsty, something like that. But a lot of the ancient vampires don't necessarily seem to be the kind of it's a word I'm looking for, but just the canonical, canonical vampires, classic classic vampires.
Speaker 4: I've seen people describe Lamia and strigas like these are bloodsucking creatures, but they're not vampires.
Speaker 5: They're demons or something else in it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I'm thinking of too, because you, Matt and I've been talking about Lilith and La Mache too. Going back to Jewish mythology and Mesopotamian demons as well, and yet they're a lot of sources will say, well, they they're the earliest vampires because they would drink the blood of children or attack pregnant women and children.
Speaker 2: So maybe we need to have a.
Speaker 1: Content noted here as well. But even Goddess is like segment from ancient Egypt, and it's claimed that she's one of the earliest references to vampiism, that she was the blood drinking goddess of war. So I don't know where do you draw the line in.
Speaker 4: I don't know where to draw the line, but I we should probably see if Joe Laycock would come and talk with us, because he's done a lot of research about vampire culture. And I think a lot of this erupts after the creation of Vampire the Masquerade, the game from White Wolf.
Speaker 2: Awesome game.
Speaker 4: Awesome game, and it sort of kicked off a really well what's interesting, I don't know how many A big chunk of it is people identifying with vampire culture and wanting to larp it full time and like like becoming full time vampires and saying that that's their sort of that's their thing, and they some of them literally drink blood. And then there are people people who would call themselves psychic vampires.
Speaker 5: Who who you know and.
Speaker 1: Colin, yes, his name from Colin Robinson. Yeah, I was thinking in the Shadows.
Speaker 4: Oh, I see from what we're do in the Shadows the TV show, right and not the movie.
Speaker 5: And also there are people who.
Speaker 4: I mean they they self identified that way and they take it quite seriously.
Speaker 5: So I think it.
Speaker 4: You know, Lake Cox done a lot of work on that, and I'm curious about what of that.
Speaker 5: Predates the game.
Speaker 4: I mean because obviously the vampires are obviously far older than the game, but the game, well.
Speaker 1: When did the game come out? Do you have any idea?
Speaker 5: Had to be late eadies right, Uh, ninety one ninety one.
Speaker 4: I game with people who worked for White Wolf, so and my brother in law used to work for White Wolf. So I've got I've got lots of the gaming side, I know real well.
Speaker 5: But but but it crept out into the real world. I mean, people.
Speaker 4: Actively participated in vampire culture in a way that is i'd call it LARPing, but they seem to really identifies that were really happening, So I don't you know, and when you're really drinking blood?
Speaker 5: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Well? I think we should also mention Brian Sharpless's book The Monsters on the Couch. Oh yeah, yeah, and he talks about what was it called Matt Renfield syndrome.
Speaker 2: Renfield syndrome, Yes, white man, look at his dye. Why the name's gone crazy?
Speaker 1: But apparently as part of that Matt correct me if I'm wrong, people will have a bloodlust or want to actually drink blood and you know, physically go in search of blood, and that it can be even a kind of sexual paraphilia.
Speaker 2: Woh yeah, absolutely, absolutely, that's hot.
Speaker 1: Yes, you too may have this syndrome.
Speaker 2: So, but it's not only you know, these these things that are that are interesting. I want to talk about how, you know, vampires were terribly feared throughout that period when they were just folklore, and then when it became fiction with with brom Stoker it again, people were terrified through the years, the Hammer films, they were all horror movies. They were terrifying, and then we reached a point where suddenly vampires are not so terrifying anymore. And and with me, I mean I as a little kid loved Dracula.
Speaker 5: He was the.
Speaker 2: Coolest thing in the world, and you had like on the Monsters, and then you had the count from Sesame Street, and it's like we were kind of the little kids were now getting exposure this vampire thing without it being terrifying anymore. And so then suddenly what happens, Boom, Bob's your uncle dry Sparkle. You know, it just you know, it just went through this really weird process where suddenly vampires aren't scary anymore, but they're still incredibly beloved, but now we identify with them, we want to be them, and it's it's no longer this thing that we're terrified of. You know, we don't keep garlic in the house because we're trying to see.
Speaker 1: Vampire anyway romantic. And that is a question I wanted to ask Professor Groom. We just kind of run out of time, but I wanted to say, it's entirely speculative, but where will vampires go to from here? Can we kind of make some forecasts into where the direction that the folklore might go and the literature might go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't even want to speculate, except to say that since they deal with life, life force, and there's probably a lot of stuff that could be said about sort of economic sort of versions where people, you know, suck out the life force from a culture or suck out the economic resources from a culture, so that I mean they're a parasite. They're a parasite.
Speaker 7: I mean ultimately, well, doctor yeah, Professor Groome was talking about that as well, about I guess vampires as leeches and throughout time, how political figures have been branded vampires and so yeah, I can.
Speaker 1: Certainly see that as a as a metaphor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean they've been a metaphor for contagion and all kinds of interesting.
Speaker 5: And one thing other.
Speaker 4: Another thing I'd like to talk about over the course of this month is you know, I'm sure you grew up on the same monster books I did, which which they always talk about natural explanations. Now, as vampires representing con agent, they get tied in with things like cholera and tuberculosis. Maybe, but how many times have you heard of porphyria as being an explanation? I mean, like, you know, for many proferia for vampires and hypertrichosis for werewolves. I mean, every every kid's book has that, and it's like it's not it doesn't really address the sort of the fact that this is folklore and monsters and they don't need to have a medical basis to spread. There's so many you know, you don't really need to have spiders erupting from boils for the folklore of that story to work, you know, like folklore does not need a real world basis.
Speaker 5: I guess that is one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think that there are no two vampires are the same. I think that it could possibly account for some cases maybe, but I think that you just have so many things at play, so many potential illnesses or just folklore or stories, and you really have to look at each individual case to be able to ascertain what's going on. But certainly that's one of those kind of chestnuts that is coming up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, skeptics, we love a natural science explanation anything, but letting vampires be real.
Speaker 5: Come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, it's just not one size fits.
Speaker 5: All, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, like, did you ever have a favorite vampire?
Speaker 5: A favorite vampire?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He does, right, and people should go back and listen to that episode.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, do I have a favorite?
Speaker 1: Remember? No, I've forgotten Highgate.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, yes, no, I totally love that story. Oh my god. Yes, the Highgate Vampire is absolutely a favorite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh my god, yes, no, that is fantastic.
Speaker 5: I really do.
Speaker 1: An episode on that topic because.
Speaker 5: That is Yeah, I think the like side of it slowly dying off.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, probably probably safe, probably safe to discuss at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, safe safe for Yeah, what about you, Matt, because you know mine is well I've spoken.
Speaker 2: About yeah, and you know he's he was a great introduction into real world vampires for me. But that is a tough one. I mean, I did really like Gary Oldman as Dracula, you know, at the time. It was a lot of fun seeing it portrayed more as you know, Lad Impaler being Dracula. That was that was a very interesting take on it. I love the count from Sesame Street, especially Blake. Have you seen when he's censored?
Speaker 1: Just introduced me to that.
Speaker 5: No, are they just beeping out what he's talking about? Is that what they're doing?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: He sings a song about how much he likes to count, and every time he says the word count, they bleep it.
Speaker 8: You'll know that. I am called the cow.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 8: Sometimes I sit and told day, but sometimes I get cally away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, when I'm alone, I count myself nice.
Speaker 2: That's really funny, it is, it is counting hilarious.
Speaker 5: I want to say that, like as much as I love.
Speaker 4: That story with the Highgate Vampire, the Gorbels vampire story, where the nineteen fifty story of like the kids in Scotland hunting a vampire in the graveyard Ginny with the iron teeth is now becoming one of my favorite vampire stories.
Speaker 5: And I know we've talked about it before.
Speaker 1: But I think you said Gibels vampire.
Speaker 5: Gorbles Gorbles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but just the the idea of a bunch of kids in Scotland roaming a real graveyard with weapons, trying to fight a vampire one of their parents don't know what the hell is going on.
Speaker 5: That is just it's so it could make.
Speaker 4: Such it's a true story. It could make such a great movie. Yeah, it would be so good. It would be so good. So yeah, that's it's increasingly haunting my imagination.
Speaker 2: What about let the Right One in?
Speaker 5: No, that's a great movie. It's a great movie. I have not seen the American version, but I love the European version.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I'm still a fan of Nosferatu. I think that's my.
Speaker 4: Thing, which is coming out soon as a remake. That'll be very exciting.
Speaker 1: Gosh just to think about. There's so many angles to this topic, and I think it'd be a good idea to bring Joe back on and we should. I really like to get into historical vampires and go back to Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathory and barely touched upon them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's right. Well, and it's interesting because you know, you really have those two different kinds of vampires, the ones that look kind of like nos Feratu and the ones that looked more like you know, Dracula. Yes, And but then it became a thing that the older of a vampire you were, and more powerful you were, the more you look like nos Faratu. Yeah, and I and the like the less human you looked.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 4: That whole idea of scripteds that fiction drives folklore, and folklore feeds.
Speaker 5: Back into fiction.
Speaker 4: Vampires are one of the key places where that happens, and and where wolves I guess where it's the literature that really drives the imagination, which leads to the way people experience vampires and and and sort of play act in this space.
Speaker 1: So it's it's really yeah, it's aut imitating exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our empathies life, then life impathates art, and it's just a cycle.
Speaker 5: It's just a circle. It's it's a it's a or boros.
Speaker 2: Well, then they did that great thing with Shadow of a Vampire with Willem Dafoe of playing uh Max Shrek, yes and so, and it just carried more of that sort of folklore and legend that there was just something wrong with Max Shrek. It's it's yeah, it's you know that he was somehow sort of haunted and inspired by the whole vampire thing. But uh, yeah, that was That was a fun movie too.
Speaker 5: It was a fun movie. Yep, yep. I enjoyed seeing that one. Yep.
Speaker 4: I got to see that one in the theaters. Weirdly enough, Yeah, well, Rare, we.
Speaker 1: Should probably we wrap things up, I think, yeah, I think another episode.
Speaker 4: And absolutely we sort of set a template for how we're going to handle October and this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, vamperific, vamporific exactly.
Speaker 5: I'll see if I can get Joe to join us.
Speaker 4: That would be really fun and sort of dive in on these things I'd love to I would really love to sort of sort of, if you'll pardon me, if you're saying so, hammer down some of these topics and so. Monstertle, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You just heard a chat with myself, Karen and Matt Baxter about vampires to kick off our fourth season and a spooky October vampire marathon. I mentioned some research about porphyria and the opener and have put links to the Illis Paper into a New York Times article about David Dolphin's presentation in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 5: In those show.
Speaker 4: Notes, vampires are such a big category, and hopefully over the course of this month you'll learn some new factoids for your Halloween party chat. We love it when we can help make you more interesting. We hope you enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Our goal here is to bring you the best in monster related content with a focus on scientific skepticism and critical thinking. If you enjoy our show and want to support our mission, start out by visiting monster Talk dot org forward slash support. That's monster talk dot org Forward slash support. There you'll find links to our Patreon page, as well as a donate button if you'd like to just make a one time contribution. A great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon wish list.
Speaker 5: These are books that directly help.
Speaker 4: With our monster research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we're also very fond of kindle editions because of their easily searched content and without spending any money at all. You can support and raise the profile of the show by leaving a positive review you at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners. Finally, remember to share episodes you really like with your friends and family. You can help make Monster Talk the nightlight that keeps monsters away from someone you love. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 3: One thinking about living in Santa Carla, A never a good summer, All the damn vampires.
Speaker 1: This has been a Monster House presentation