Speaker 1: All right, here we get started with the Minnesota goodbye and see what we can dig into in the bag of e mail. Here we go, Dave, Jenny Bailey. I feel like you can ignore the person who wrote in about vant and or Jenny saying female. They seem like they just want to be offended about something that is an offensive saying female to refer to women as respectful. I am a soldier. I say male and female all the time. It is from Sydney, by the way, that is a woman or a female. She's a female. That makes me assume it's maybe a cultural thing. That's all I have. Eyes are rolled back into place after hearing that complaint, cheers staff writer Sydney. So yeah saying female, Bailey, you just have to get over it.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just I don't like it because it does seem weird that we don't call men males. That's what's weird to me. And it's like female. Oh, I hello, I love a good I love a good female. Oh, Bailey is a fine specimen of a female. That's what it feels like to me.
Speaker 1: We need to come up with more names for the sexes, like dude, bro, what else? That's it. There's really nothing else, dude.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: For women, there's a plethora. Yeah, there's chick broad Now that's all I got.
Speaker 2: Ladies women, No one says broad. No.
Speaker 1: I was joking.
Speaker 2: God, you too.
Speaker 1: You're so easily triggered, such a good actor. I'm done with you.
Speaker 4: Too, Okay, And a lot when he's like people do that now, when he's getting excited telling a story, it's like, yeah, but dude, like and I'm like, okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not a dude. It's okay.
Speaker 5: I'm not like, I don't care.
Speaker 4: But I can tell when he's like excited, because he'll start saying dude, dude.
Speaker 1: Here's one from Jessica Catch Out of the podcast from earlier this week and Jenny Bailey and Dave we're talking about guys, God given right to peace, standing up. I got to tell you about my standing up experience. I am female. Now she calls herself a female. That is a description of a gender rather than a term of That is not a noun. Would you say I.
Speaker 5: Well, female?
Speaker 4: So I feel like that is in a different reference than saying female.
Speaker 1: I know I had to pee so bad. I was on a vacation near Grand Moray. We were at Mount Josephine just before a hike and there is nowhere to go. But I have what's called a she pee, and I want you to google this. You get a chance sagpee which allows a woman to pee without squatting and peeing on her feet. And I got to tell you that it worked amazingly well and was so incredibly liberating. No mess, didn't have to take my pants off to do what I needed to do. I highly recommend it for any female, and I think it will keep I will keep one in my glovebox just in case I find myself in this situation again.
Speaker 2: The she p I have one.
Speaker 3: I've never opened it from the package, but an old boyfriend gave it to me. We used to go camping all the time and we would I would have to, you know, obviously, squat in the middle of the woods to pee on long hikes, and so he bought me one and then I've never used it yet, but I have one just in case.
Speaker 4: Side note. Mount Josephine is my favorite hike in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Josephine.
Speaker 4: It's almost to Canada. It's up been Grand Portage. I think that's a city up there, right that's someone like, that's past Grand Murray and now I'm getting it confused. It's right past Grand Murray and it's just beautiful. It looks up onto what's the isles? What's it called the National park up there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, the Grant not the isles. I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, it's just so gorgeous. It looks like something off of the West Coast or something. Once you get to the top of it. And it's not a super long hike. It's a it's a quick elevation, but it's not a very long hike. It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I need to do more hiking. I would really love to do that. I'm going to look up because now you've got me curious. What is the name of those isles? Is it is Royal or Royale or something? Here it is i'le Royale National Park and it is a I don't know much about it, but I love stuff like that, And I'm just bummed that, you know, that's not really Susan's thing. You know, she wants to go to like Hawaii on vacation, and that's great. Who doesn't want to go to Hawaii? But I really want to just like, I don't know. I would love to go, Like I'd love to go to the Boundary Waters and go canoeing through the Boundary Waters, and that is just not her thing. And since I'm not a boy Scout anymore, I'll probably never go back to the Boundary Waters.
Speaker 2: Could you become a boy Scout again?
Speaker 1: A leader?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what I meant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to have a kid in Scouts to be a Scout leader.
Speaker 4: Let's be honest, though, is it a little weird to be a leader without one of your children in Scouts?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Really, you're kind of the same to be like a coach of a team. You don't have to have your kid on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think so, because we had. I think there was a lot of people whose kids had grown. There was one leader who was like a big leader in our district and it was a woman and her name was Mary, and she was probably seventy years old, and I don't think she ever had any kids, and she just loved Scouting and so she was a you know, a great figure. And yeah, I mean I could, but then it comes with its obligations. Yeah, Like in every Wednesday night meeting. I don't want to go to the meetings. Comedians aren't any fun.
Speaker 2: Can you zoom in? Can you just zoom?
Speaker 1: I mean not really no, because they do activities and things like that that sounds fun. One of the coolest activities that we did that the boys just loved was, I'll just tell her you really quick, was making fire starters. So what you do is you take an egg carton and you get a bunch of old candles and you basically you take all these old candles and you scrape them into an old pot that you'd never want to use again, and you heat it up like over a little you know, like we did doing the parking lot. So it would be like a little I don't know, a little portable stove, yeah, and we would heat it up and then you pour the candle wax into the egg carton holes and then you cut it up and then each individual hole is a firestarter, so you strike a match to it and it catches up right away and you don't have to like blow on it like you know, shaving wood shavings. It's just it's a great little thing.
Speaker 2: What's it's made out of candle.
Speaker 1: Candle wax, candle wax and egg cartons and that just lights up. Yeah, you like the cardboard part of the egg cart and catches the wax on.
Speaker 5: Fire and wow, wow, Why not just use a match?
Speaker 1: Well, you do use a match, dumb ass, because you had to start that. You have to start the What do you think You light it with lights itself?
Speaker 2: Throw it on the ground and it lights a fire.
Speaker 1: Why don't you use men? Do you pay an attention to anything that I say?
Speaker 5: I thought you were saying. It's a fire starter in the sunset, it helps, like start the fire. Can't you just use a match to start the fire with wood? Why do you need all of that extra stuff?
Speaker 1: I want to see you built a fire in your life.
Speaker 4: I trust me. I cannot survive. I mean like kindling to terms like kindling. Yeah, no, I mean I haven't started a fire, but I've kept a fire going by putting another long hut.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that's such a talent. Yeah, Jenny, God, that's great.
Speaker 5: I keep people warm around the bonfire.
Speaker 2: She has the poking stick. She's like, I'm doing my part.
Speaker 1: No, So, when starting a fire in nature is moderately difficult, it kind of depends, and a lot of the time, if it's windy, you strike the match and it blows out right away. And if it's wet then it's really difficult to find would because you've got it. There's different ways you can do it, and I won't go into them because that's boring. But yeah, it's it's you take the match and it easily starts this egg cart. Let's move on. Yeah, well, God, pay attention to what I'm saying, Jenny.
Speaker 5: I say attention.
Speaker 4: I was just wondering if there was a easier way, that's all.
Speaker 1: Is there an easier way to start a fire? Yeah, bring a propane stove?
Speaker 2: Yeasay? Writing it down? Writing it down?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to the next one. And I close the tab, So here we go. Let's see do you believe in ghosts? Kirstenberg wants to know. Do you believe in ghosts? Just curious? Love the show. I don't disbelieve in them. I feel ghosts in a different way. I feel ghosts as a presence, like not a material thing that you can see here, smell or experience necessarily, but like when I go into an old house, like a friend of mine has a house built in like nineteen fifty three, and it's been updated a couple of times. But I can feel the ghosts of the people that live there. Not in an eerie sort of way, but I can feel like, what was this house Like when Dad came home and told the wife Poormia Scotch, it's been a long day and she was wearing around pearls and an apron. I can feel those ghosts in a house. My house in Colorado has the ghosts of not only my mom and dad, but of me as a little boy. So I don't believe in ghosts like haunting boo, yeah, but I believe in the ghosts of the things that used to happen there.
Speaker 3: Sure, I think, I mean, I guess I don't really have any experience with ghosts in general. I think what I kind of agree with you, Dave, that there's like a reverence for like who walked these walls before me. But I definitely believe in like signs from the other side, especially like right after someone's died, Like what, well, Okay, I'm going to use a dog as an example, but like when I was younger, we had a dog who died and then we went on a walk with our other dog a couple of days after, and he like ran into the woods and came back out with a tennis ball that wasn't It wasn't in his mouth when he went in. So he found a tennis ball in the woods and it had a hole ripped out of it that was in the shape of a heart. And so we just thought that that was our dog that had died sending us a message because we used to play tennis, like we used to play fetch. Yeah, and so in that same field and he ran in, came back out with the tennis ball with the heart and it We're like, oh my god, it's a sign. So we are the Hess household definitely believes in signs from the other side. But it's usually you get like one within a week of the person passing, and then you don't get another. But it's just kind of saying like, hey, I'm okay, and just so you know it's fine over here, you know, wherever they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a constant thing, but just like a kind of a one time.
Speaker 3: And it happens, you know, pets and humans too. And my mom feels like she's gotten lots of signs from her or her.
Speaker 1: Dad, Jenny, do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: I think my only experience though with it is I was in New Orleans once and I was in something like a house of voodoo shop. I think it was called like Marie La Voe's or something, and I remember being in there and almost feeling like something was like pushing me back and forth, like I felt weird, like it was. I don't even know how to describe it. It just felt so weird that I eventually like walked out while some of my friends were still in there looking and I was like, guys that I felt like weird in that shop, And my other friend A reed too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I don't know exactly what I believe in.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever experienced anything where like I think a ghost is in my house. But that was a weird, like otherworldly experience for me, like.
Speaker 2: Eerie, feeling like I shouldn't be here.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think there's some people that fervently believe in ghosts. My friend Wendy, the nurse Wendy, she's on the show once in a while, and she went to a haunted cave and they take you on the haunted cave tour and you get a little candle and you're walking through and they talk about the ghost and she's like, oh, yeah, I definitely felt something. I felt something tapped my shoulder and I know that it was like a ghost or whatever. And I'm like, you're so full as shit. No, I didn't say that, but some people fervently believe in that, and I'm just you know, the jury's out, but I don't have any evidence to say that they exist. We're gonna go back a couple of days and talk about peeing in the pool. Here to chime in on today's discussion of chlorine in pools. I half believe the supposed rocket scientists and have don't remember, there's a video where a rocket scientist took pool water and put a bunch of chlorine into the pool, like a bucket of pool water, and he smelled it and he said, it doesn't smell like a pool that I remember. Doesn't smell like a pool that we all associate that pool smell. Yeah, he said, he took a little like a shot glass of urine, poured it in there, stirred it up, and now it smelled like the pool we remember. So when you smell a swimming pool. You're smelling the chlorine.
Speaker 2: Like activated by urine exactly.
Speaker 1: Ye right. So he goes on to say, I also grew up with a pool, and it too had the same smell. It wasn't as powerful, being saltwater based, but it was there, and I know, damn well my dad would have had a fit if my brother I had taken a leak in there. Secondly, what about water slides? In my experience, usually the inside of the tube has the same smell, even though the water powering down the slide is pumped directly from the filtration system. I know this because my parents' pool slide can have its speed increase by shutting off any return jet and rerouting the water blah blah blah. On the other hand, hot tubs give this experiment a little bit more merit. It seems like they have even stronger chlorine smells than pools, and they're notorious for being Petrie dishes for bodily fluids. We weren't rich to have one, so I never get a test it myself, but I guess this will continue to be a mystery in my mind. Just wanting to provide some food for thought to add to the discussion. I am no scientists, so take my words with a grain of salt. Thanks for teaching me something new. Now I can tell my boss I'm listening to educational content during war, all right? From Kevin. I have a jacuzzi slash hot tub, or spa or whatever you want to call it at the house in Colorado. And one of the things that I don't do well is maintain the chemical pH chlorine balance. It's too confusing to me. I get in, I enjoy it. It probably is way off balance. I don't know what chemicals to put in. The guy who sold it to us' is like, oh, you get a test it every time you like test, test test, and you put water with a couple of drops in a little test tube and you compare it to a little colored chart. And if it's too red, it's to this, and if it's too blue, it's to this. I never do it. I never do it. I get in. I will say that if it's full of bubbles, a good jacuzzi should not bubble up like it's full of mister bubble. Oh it should not. That means you got too much sweat, shampoo, deodorant, and dead skin in your hot tub.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you can, you know, you can go into like a pool store and they'll explain all that pretty simply.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I will call down to the pool store and I'll say like yeah, no, no, no, absolutely, and to them it's like so simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'll call down and be like, yeah, my hot tub's really foaming. What should I do? And they're happy to help because we spend a shit ton of money with those guys. But they'll be like, oh, yeah, well you take some of the pH balance liquid, or you take some of the chlorine or the boost, or the take the yellow bottle and put a couple of cap folds of the yellow bottle in there. Okay, sometimes it works, sometimes it works, doesn't work.
Speaker 2: What I said, is he going to do it? No, No, he's not.
Speaker 1: Well, I do, but it never really seems to work, or I'll put in too much.
Speaker 2: Sure, So yeah, I've never mastered that science.
Speaker 1: Science.
Speaker 4: If my mom can figure it out, you can figure it out, because my dad took care of all of that stuff before my parents got a divorce, and then my mom had to learn how to do it. And I mean, our pools still functioning and doing great.
Speaker 1: And you have a pool. Yeah, okay, yeah, I don't know. And just I think when you get into a hot hub a jacuzzi, A good temperature for a jacuzzi is about ninety nine or one hundred degrees, so you will get warm and you will sweat in there, probably sweat. You might sweat maybe a cup of sweat every time you get into a hot tub. Gross, I mean you might. Yeah, we wouldn't be unreasonable.
Speaker 4: I believe you explain then a little bit more of the bubbles. I know people are peeing in hot tubs, but doesn't that play come into factor then, like just sweat your sweat.
Speaker 1: The same chemical makeup I think as urine. I think we never pee in our hot tub. I'm sure that the adults that I've let stay at my house also do not pee in the hot tub. I don't think I've ever had a sex a couple out there that might have had sex in the hot tub. But that frightens me a little bit too, with UZI things coming out all over the place, and you know, so.
Speaker 2: That doesn't fun at all.
Speaker 5: No, huh, get too hot? Yeah, like that's not the vibe.
Speaker 4: I'm sure plenty of sexes happen in hot tubs, but I don't feel like I would enjoy that.
Speaker 5: Are you're already sweating enough just moving your body?
Speaker 1: No, I get it, Yeah, I gotcha, all right. One and this is a very different one, but I think it's worthwhile because it might help some people. Hey, guys, says Steve. My wife and I really enjoy listening to the morning show in the Minnesota Goodbye podcast. I have a question for you. We just lost our golden doodle, Daisy of eleven years suddenly. I'm so sorry. That is such a hard loss to lose your dog. It is one of the hardest things we've gone through. Our hearts are crushed. She was one of a kind. I'm going to get choked up just hearing about Daisy. My question for you, guys is, we have a three year old golden lab Luna that is really sad and taking it really hard. Have you, guys ever went through this and what did you do to help your dog deal with the death of their sibling? How did you cheer them up? Thank you for taking the time to read my email from Steve. I don't have any advice for you. I've never had I've had dogs that they you know, Josie had a callie friend and the collie died Rex but they you know, I didn't notice anything, Yeah, really different.
Speaker 3: I mean I've had dogs that or like even like bonded pairs in the past and one of them dies, but like the other one was just kind of kooky anyway, And so I don't know if she even realized it, like maybe she napped more.
Speaker 2: But she was also old.
Speaker 3: So we always had like growing up, like if we had two dogs and one of them died, we would get another one, and then that dog, the older dog that had been there in the first place, would have somebody to hang out with. I guess, okay, And so it would be kind of it sounds awful, would be kind of like a little musical chair situation where one would die, we'd get a new one, then the first one would die, and then we'd get a new one yep, to keep the Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you'd always almost always have two dogs.
Speaker 2: We'd always have two dogs, yep, every all the time.
Speaker 4: I didn't ever go through that. We didn't really have dogs growing up, so I don't have anything to.
Speaker 5: Help you with.
Speaker 1: I always say that that, you know, it's funny because Josie my girl. She is the best dog I will ever have, and she's been my buddy. She follows me around the house. She's funny, she's friendly, she loves everybody. She is really I hate the term going downhill. But she pees all the time. She'll pee in her kennel, which dogs don't pee in their kennel because they hate that. She can't help it. She'll lay in a puddle of her you know, she's got towels and blankets, so she'll like sit there in her own pea all night, and then we've got to give her a bath because she stinks. She wears diapers around the house. She doesn't even try to go outside. We do put her outside and she'll pee. She loves her walks still, but she can't hear at all. Old is she fifteen and a half?
Speaker 2: Fully crap, she's old? Wow?
Speaker 1: And I feel a little bit guilty because I'm already thinking about getting a dog after she goes. But I will never have a dog as good as her. Yeah, she's just the best. I remember on Saturday. She doesn't do it anymore because she's older, but on Saturday mornings, when she used to be able to sleep anywhere, she wanted to. She was never allowed to come upstairs. I don't know why, but she would wait for me at the bottom of the stairs on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and I'd come around the corner and she'd see me and she'd get up and she'd wag her tail and I'd sit on the bottom step and I would scratch her for like as long as we wanted to, and she just loved it. And I'd wake up for my nap in the afternoon, and as soon as she saw me wake up, she'd hop up on the couch next to me and look for scratches. And she just doesn't anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, she's lady.
Speaker 1: That is it for the Minnesota goodbye. Thanks for the advice for Steve. Let us know, I would say dogs love walks. Take your dog on a walk because somebody said that a dog out sniffing is like a dog is like us scrolling through Instagram, because yeah, they get the dopamine or whatever and that's their information on the world. So us scrolling in Instagram is just like a dog that is a sniff sniff sniffing, So take them for a walk. But if you got advice, let us know