Speaker 1: It's nice eye Dan Raye, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, a little bit after the eleven o'clock hour, my name is Dan ray We have reached the twentieth hour of the week, as we do at this time every week, and just we always like to look back quickly at the variety of topics that we have talked about, either in the eight o'clock hour we call the nightside News Update or in the more full discussion with listeners. So we started off on Monday night talking with an expert about the fact that sleep gets tougher as you age. We talked about the Bruins fire sale, which for a couple of days a couple of games, looked like it had worked out pretty well for the Bruins. We talked about the death of Gene Hackman and his wife. She died Betsy Arakawa died of hanta virus, a very rare disease. We talked about army recruiting, talked with Chris Anderson in the nine o'clock hour and Monday night, the founder of the Massachusetts Opportunity Alliance. And of course on Monday was really the first day where the stock market took a big hit, and we talked about the stock market tanking on Monday, and a lot of that was the result of Donald Trump's answer to a question about the possibility of a recession. On Tuesday night, we talked about the best cars for twenty twenty five, particularly the best cars for families. Talked about a scholarship fund that's being run by the Ford Corporation for Auto technicians. Talked about the dangers and the need for colo colon rectal cancer checks. Not pleasant subject but one that we had to remind people of. And we talked about fentanyl laced drugs. It is spring break, and it is that time of year when a lot of your children and your grandchildren are heading to faraway places for spring break from college. And drugs were around, sadly, and many of them are laced with fentan'l talk with David Urban, newest member of the EMK Institute, News director of the EMK Institute for the US Senate. That's a wonderful facility over at Columbia Point and Urban is now a CNN contributor, And we talked about high energy bills here in Massachusetts and who's to blame and I put it squarely on the Department of Public Utilities commissioners, three people who dropped the ball in November in my opinion. On Wednesday night, we talked about the Democratic Party searching for a message in the wake of the Trump victory. The victory by President Trump last week. Talked about the Patriots free awning, free agent signings with Chris Price from the Boston Globe. Talked about New England slang with Stacy Milbauer of a website called Granite News, and talked about hospital bed shortage around the country with a doctor from UCLA. Talked with Julie Sullivan about long COVID recovering from long COVID. Shees with Brigham and Women's Hospital MGH Brigham and Women's Hospital. And we talked at ten o'clock about the decision by Jean Shaheen, Senator Democrat from New Hampshire, not to seek reelection. And we talked about Mahoud Khalil, the Palestinian student at Columbia who is now facing deportation. Last night, talked with an expert about the push for people to return to the office. Talked about the Twitter outage with an expert the Twitter or ex outage. We talked with a gentleman about how tariffs are going to hurt farmers, and we talked about young kids as young as seven being concerned about their body image. With Kelly's Shoup, we will have her on at some point in the next week or two to take phone calls. And then we talked last night, we did two hours on the various type of boycotts that have gone on in this country in recent years, and we focused a little bit on the Tesla boy clot some of the physical damage that has been done against private and public property, commercial property, and talked about that compared to the bud Light and also the January sixth protest. Obviously January sixth was a very different type of protest, but the bud Light was a protest and economic protest which was in effective boycott very effective in that regard. And then talked about the FEDS not shutting government down. Senator Schumer blinked, which I think is pretty accurate. Tonight, we talked about a new movie any day now about the Gardner Heist with Eric Aronson, and talked about speaking circles international getting past the fear of public speaking, and talked about pinnipeds and penguins with Christian McMahon of the beautiful full location downtown that all of us go the the arbor where where we go and see all the the the the fish and everything at New England, at the New England Aquarium. We're so blessed to have that facility in our community. Talk with Mark Jarman about the company called Futurian a one b ai being used for security. Talk with doctor Edward Christino, president of the Animal Rescue League of Boston, about their efforts to get some legislation passed which will help older folks and folks with disabilities be able to keep their their animals. And last hour we talked about the federal judge rejecting the Karen Reid case the double jeopardy claim and with us now is the Senator from South Boston other places as well, Nick Collins Nick Saint Patrick's Day weekend is upon us. Welcome to the show. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm great, Dan, thanks for having me on. Happy Saint Patrick, Stan, happy you have had delationis day right.
Speaker 2: Back at you. You have a big responsibility. The breakfast, the annual Saint Patrick's Day Breakfast is on Sunday and I'm just wondering, which of the the politicians are you going to have for breakfast on Sunday?
Speaker 3: If you get my drift, Yes, everyone is on the menu for the roast.
Speaker 2: Yes, spread who is signed up? Sometimes we get surprised by sometimes guests from far away places. Any chance that President Trump is going to make a remote appearance.
Speaker 3: Well, we're never too sure. We can break last minute, and we're gonna We're gonna leave that up to the audience to find out on Sunday morning. But we have a great lineup that's already committed from federal, state, and local elected leaders, and we have some foreign leaders that are joining us from the Irish government, So it should be an exciting day. We have a great parade planned as well, with a lot of preparation that has been made over the last year. And you know, it's a great time of year. It breaks away from winter, and we turned into a town from thirty five thousand to a million people overnight, and we're celebrating great history in our city and our state and really in our country with March seventeen, seventeen seventy six being both Saint Patrick's Day and the first victory in the American Revolution here in Boston and known as Evacuation Day. But I think the most fun part of the day for sure for me is the Saint Pat's Day breakfast where we get to have some fun with a roast that's been around for over one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me ask let me ask you this nick minderstanding. Have they moved the parade up? I know they're concerned about rain later in the day. The breakfast is normally what nine o'clock? That the breakfast starts early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the breakfast is normally at ten clock, and it's when we bumped it up an hour early to accommodate the earlier start for the parade. So you can watch it on TV on nesson the Women's Sports Network, the womand cable News NYCN along with BNN if you live in Boston. I'd also be streamed live on Cottonsulty dot com. But it's a it's just an adjustment that was necessary to accommodate a better safety plan for the parade led by the South Boston Now I had World Westerns Council.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the parade will will step off at what eleven o'clock? Is that? What I'm eleven thirty, okay, and they hope.
Speaker 3: Will give nine to eleven and the parade will kick off at eleven.
Speaker 2: Thirty, okay. And my understanding is that they're looking at some heavy or rain later in the day and that's why they're moving things up. The weather forecast, what time will the parade wrap up? What time can people expect to be starting to.
Speaker 3: The parade should wrap up around two two thirty. It's a combination of well, I think this year really was about the storm that was on the streets of South Boston last year with respect to the the out of control revee. And there's a there's a notion that bumping it up an hour early would allow people to get in earlier and out earlier. And also, you know, it does help us mitigate any weather issues that we expect to have later on the day. It's you know, the weather report is changing ever so slightly, but it looks like the rain will be a little bit later in the afternoon, if not early evening, so we'll miss most of that for the parade. But it also get people a reason to you know, pack up and go when the party's over.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, Nick, thanks very much. I know you got a lot of work and a lot of preparation to do, and again, have your way with whatever one of those politicians are brave enough to venture into South Boston for the breakfast. They know what they're gonna get. They're going to be served up as well as they'll be served breakfast, and a great day for everyone in South Boston, whether they're Irish or not. And of course on Sunday, everyone in South Boston is going to claim they're Irish. Nick Colins, State Senator, Thanks so much, Nick for joining us tonight, and we will we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, Thanks Jam, welcome right.
Speaker 2: Back at you, Nick Collins, thank you so much. Okay, here's what I want to do. This is the twentieth hour. I want to hear from as many of you as possible. I'd love to hear from you if you're Irish or if you're not Irish. If you're Irish, I'd love to hear from you. If you have taken the step to get your dual citizenship. If you're not Irish, I'd love to hear from you, if you've taken your step to get dual citizenship. If some of you would like to if any of you would like to call in and join us and tell you tell us what Saint Patrick's Day means to you. For me, it's like one of the first harbingers of spring, because even though we can still get snowstorms April first, nineteen ninety seven, I'll put on the table as evidence of that. I think it really does finally tell us that we've broken the back of winter. So there's a lot to be happy about. If any of you have been to Ireland, I'd love to hear a story if you've ever gone back and met some of the family who's still in Ireland. Let's turn this into a nice positive finish for the week. All comments and questions related to Ireland or to your heritage or welcome and who knows, if I hear a good story or two, maybe we can get you an Irish T shirt from our great friends at college Hype dot com. They have a wonderful website, my city Gear. Wherever you live in Boston, you can find some great sweatshirts and T shirts and hats at my city Gear. That's the website mycitygear dot com. Our friend jack Darty and I'll also mention, by the way, Jackson been such a great friend of our program for so many years. His daughter is finishing her hockey career. She plays for Hingham the Hingham Harbormen, and they're in the state finals on Sunday at Boston Garden at eleven o'clock. So our best wish is to all the girls' hockey teams who have made it, who have played this winter, but particularly we wish best of luck to the girls' hockey teams that will play. Have the thrill of playing on the home ice of the Boston Bruins throughout most of Sunday, so that's one of the great thrills and I hope all the parents enjoy it as well. I so miss the hockey games that my kids played in in high school. You think they'll never end sometimes, but they do, and when they end, you're very sad as a parent. Trust me on that. Okay, go to open up the phone lines. Let's talk all things Irish six one seven, and you know, if you want to bring your your heritage into the conversation, what's wrong with that. Us Irish are very open minded. We love everyone Irish. The Irish don't get involved in wars. Uh for the most part, uh, and we we love people. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. How are you going to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day? Let us know. I know one of the things I will do is I will watch the stream of students from Boston College head to the MBTA here in Newton, and they will be going into South Boston, many of them for the first time. And uh, it's it's quite it's quite an experience. Let's put it like that. We'll be back at Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ.
Speaker 2: The news radio. All right, we're looking Uh, this is Saint Patrick's Day weekend, let's get it going here. Six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. If you're Irish, come on, give us a call. If you're not Irish, the only two types of people that can call tonight are eligibill call. Either have to be Irish or anything other than Irish. It's as simple as that. We'll get right to the calls. Let me go to uh, Steven Weymouth, Steve, welcome first this hour on Night Side tonight. Well, we dropped off. We dropped him off. Look at that now, I actually rob hit the coreer. He he must have dropped himself off because I did hit the right green button. Let me go to Dave's David in wear him. David has his radio track. That's very good. Let's put David on hold and see if you can work with these folks here tonight. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness. So it's gonna be one of those nights. Huh. I hope not. Six one seven, two five four ten thirty. Got an open line there and six one seven nine three one ten thirty. That was the line that Steve was on. And what happened was Steve had us on speakerphone and speak. Steve hit speakerphone and disconnected himself. Steve called back, you would love to hear from you. Let me go. Let's try David and wear him. David, do you have you radio turned down?
Speaker 4: Radio is bound?
Speaker 2: Sir boy. I'll tell you before it sounded like it was blasting. How are you welcome to Night Side?
Speaker 4: It's because I love your show, that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well that's good. I'll tell you better check your hearing in the morning. Because having a radio that loud could be a problem.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Well I'm not Irish, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Said as I said, the only two groups of people that could call on St Patrick's Day Friday night, you got to be Irish or not Irish. That's that's your eligible ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in that category. But I do love quanbe for cabbage.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's I think it's the worst meal in America. I've never I've never. Do you actually like it or no?
Speaker 4: Of course I do, and and I have a I have to. I want to bring something up about that though. Of course that was the kind.
Speaker 3: Of meat that was cheap in them days.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, right, that's why they used it, you know, affordability.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 4: Have you noticed the price is now corn.
Speaker 2: Well, particularly this week, I assume, yeah, I particularly this week. It's it's much sought after. Yeah. I have never been a fan of corn beef and cabbagy. The only time that I've liked corn beef if I can slather it with mustard, then I'm okay with that. But now I'm not not at when I was a kid, that was always on the table, and that was the one meal that I never was a fan of And I don't know why I'm at Jessin Never. I'm sure people are going to disagree with me, but that's you that maybe you dude, maybe you are Irish after all if you like gorned beef the gabbage, Dave, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know you're Iris, so you're supposed to.
Speaker 2: I'm Irish, but yeah, we look. I'll tell you this, the Irish cuisine. I first went to Ireland I think it was nineteen eighty two as a TV reporter, and the food was horrible. It was hot, it was in edible, it was inedible. But Irish cuisine over the last forty years has improved dramatically, dramatically. I can remember being in Ireland in eighty two and there was They had nothing like Dunkin Donuts. I said to myself that I would I would. I would start a dunkin Donut franchise and retire to Ireland. I should have. I would have been a multi millionaire by now. All you would have would be a pub. You go into the pub at ten o'clock in the morning and they would give you a white bread sandwich with one slice of flat slice of ham, and that was considered a lovely morning snack. Not great, not great, but but Virius cuisine has got better. It has gotten better over time. Trust me on that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, well I don't cook it.
Speaker 4: I know all these restaurants that have it right now.
Speaker 2: Well, probably the restaurants do better than than it was when I growing up in my family. Some members of my family liked it. It was not my favorite. David. Great to hear your voice. This is your first time calling the show, baby Chancell know.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but I'd listened all the time.
Speaker 2: I got to give you a ride of applause. Is the first tight caller, David. That's you know, that's part of your reduction into the order of nightside go ahead.
Speaker 4: But what I'm really doing is I'm I'm one of those old fashioned guys that if you can't sleep, you go for a ride out by the water or something. You know what, bag you know, I couldn't, you know, I get restless and and I put you on and listen to you, and well, you know what I'm doing. I'm waiting for the stroke of midnight.
Speaker 2: You know why, I have no clue.
Speaker 4: The stroke of midnight is the IDEs of botch.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, so make.
Speaker 3: Sure you keep keep you.
Speaker 2: Keep your back to the wall. At two, brote you too.
Speaker 4: We have to.
Speaker 2: Well. Happy birthday, Happy birthday. I'm gonna ask you how old, but happy birthday. Get it another round up from wear him. Here you get two rounds of floss. First time caller, and on your birthday, David.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, I'll tell you after a few hot operations, I'm turning seventy. Thank you lord.
Speaker 2: Wow, good for you. Good for you, a big one, a big one. Enjoy the day and do something special. Thanks David. Touch you soon, all right, good back, good night, all right, cad. I let me go back on to try Steve and uh in wayman, Steve, I have no idea what happened. I was afraid your house blew up. Go right ahead. We lost?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh Dan, this is Steve from North Weymouth, Massachusetts. And uh yeah, I'm the truck driver.
Speaker 2: Come on, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, that's where I used.
Speaker 5: To live, Dan, I thought, I told Rob. I said, let's throw Dan off.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 5: Tell him I'm from North Weymouth, Massachusetts, where I live for two decades.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: You, soasa, how you did get me? How far are you from the tappan Zee Bridge, because every time you come, you're either going over it, Teddy heading to Pennsylvania. See, I know you're route or you're coming down.
Speaker 4: How you do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm about twenty minutes from the bridge.
Speaker 2: At the bridge for you is not the Sagamore or the board.
Speaker 5: For you, it's the no no, even though I've been over both of those bridges many times on the truck. But no, I'm I didn't get to see the lunar clips in the morning because it was really thick cloud cover in New York. Yeah, I could see it partially in Massachusetts Connecticut border, but the clouds were getting thicker and I couldn't see it. But I have a friend in Homer, Pennsylvania, and they said.
Speaker 6: That they saw it was clears, guys.
Speaker 5: And of course the minute I drove into Pennsylvania it was clear skuys. But it was too late by then. But I'm sorry I missed it because I really get into that.
Speaker 2: Well, great if they had held it off for a couple of hours for you, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know what funny you were funny with Bob to call the too about a reference to seems like somebody's already taken the bar something old like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think Bob knew what I was saying. But oh yeah, he got about it, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: So in between his books, Yeah he understood what you were saying.
Speaker 2: No, no, you get classy callers here. Don't worry. So look, I know, when when do you When does your day or when does your ride in? You got what four hours left? Maybe?
Speaker 5: Uh, probably seven six and a half. I got to take my half an hour break. So I'm direct. I'm a direct flight from York, Pennsylvania our terminal, to Leiston, Maine, to our other terminal. That's my home base. So it takes two hours, like I said, from York, Pennsylvania to the Pennsylvania New Jersey border. Then from there it's real long, you know, ninety five through Connecticut.
Speaker 3: But I love to drive, so it's not long to me.
Speaker 5: Plus you entertain me. I get to hear you all the time.
Speaker 2: So well, if you if you watch the evening news tonight, there was a lot of wind out in the Midwest and Texas and some of the big eighteen wheelers were literally being blown over, So please be careful.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, it doesn't take much even if you're fuller empty your trailer. That win. You know, it's amazing how powerful it can be. I mean, I've been down the road and forty mile prowl a fifty mile per hour gusta. My tractor will want to go into all lane. So it's good to have two hands on the.
Speaker 2: Up. We just lost him, Steve. We lost you. You weren't cut off. We lost you. You cut cut off in mid sentence. Be well, Steve. Have a great weekend, Happy Saint Patrick's Day. We're ready to break for the news at the bottom of the hour, coming right back on nightside. My name's Dan Ray. Feel free to join us. We're getting you started on the Saint Patrick's Day weekend. And if you're out there and you want to, you know, open a beer or have a glass of wine tonight to toast Saint Patrick, one of the great saints, drove the snakes out of Ireland. I'm not sure there were snakes in Ireland, but as legend has it, he drove them out. And you want to give a toast to Saint Patrick, you can. I have to wait until after midnight, which I will coming back on nightside. After this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling here. We're gonna go next to We got Gregory in Dorchester. Gregory will get you in. Then I got Laurie and Idaho, Jennifer and Yarmouth Port, Karen and Rhode Island, and Doreen and Chelsea, although not necessarily in that order. Gregory, how are you going to be at the Mary and Brett food pantry?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. Sorry, I'll be there.
Speaker 2: I'll be there representing you.
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah. Do you see Bill Breath around the tall?
Speaker 2: Of course I do. Bill, absolutely, I'll tell him you said hello, I.
Speaker 7: Haven't down a corner.
Speaker 2: He's there tomorrow. He's there, Bill Brett is there, Jim Brett is there, Harry Brett is there, all the breads are there. And I'm the MC tomorrow and we'll raise some money for the Mary.
Speaker 7: Brett food I'll make it next year, hope. So I'm still live.
Speaker 2: In Happy St. Patrick's day. To you, I can tell whether the little I know that you're one hundred percent Irish? What what town? What Cork? What? What? What county? Did you eminate?
Speaker 7: I was born in Dingle County Kerry Dingles most I know you read the Globe stage it's an article with an Ireland on.
Speaker 6: It and set.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 7: Language for from we speak all Irish Gaelic. Have you been back, Oh, I've been quite back back quite often. Yeah, not lately because my parents have passed away, and I still have a sister and none know their sister a retired school teacher, a brother home and the home place and another sister and.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 7: I used to go. I used to go a lot, but not as that just happen as they used to. You know, I used to go once a year one time, and you know, I was married with a couple of kids, and it wasn't that easy. The one time you go back. Then then this you go back, and you go for six weeks or something. Now they're going back and forth like every other day.
Speaker 2: Greg, what year did you come here?
Speaker 7: Nineteen fifty nine, sixty nine, fifty.
Speaker 2: Nine, fifty nine.
Speaker 7: How tough over the twenty second I'll never forget it, nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 2: How tough was it to get into the country back in those days?
Speaker 7: It wasn't tough for me because we did the right thing. You know what, My mother was an American citizen and she worked in Cambridge, and when things for Badge, they tell me all about America and Boston, and she was telling me how proud the Irish were that they wouldn't even go on the breadline or something. And she was a house keep her a cook or something in Camerage for some rich family over there, and she was cooking Irish bread, sticking it out the window at night. They used to come around just to give them something to eat, but they were too proud to go going to the front and the soup line or whatever they called it. You know, they set up. They weren't set up in hotels and giving vouchers or anything. That's It wasn't tough for meat all it was. It was easy.
Speaker 2: I'm good here and and you're you're an American by choice, Greg, I got to run, I got packed lines, happy, very proud.
Speaker 7: I love this country and it's the best cook in the world. And if anybody who knocks today, I ate it. I love it. There's no country like it in the world. I got one thing in common with you. I never heard the carn beef and cabbage in Ireland til I come out here.
Speaker 2: Now now I feel better. I feel better, Greg, I got a run, I got packed right, So.
Speaker 7: Wish and make sure.
Speaker 2: I'll tell them all. I'll tell them all. I promise you, Greg, talk to you. Thank you, good night. Let me go. Laurie is in Idaho. Laurie, welcome. How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm well.
Speaker 9: My refrigerator died tonight?
Speaker 2: So will there be some services that we could attend if? Oh, my goodness, good fridge.
Speaker 9: But it's just I didn't it's running, but obviously the condenser must have pooped out because it's not keeping anything cold, which is not what I need to discover at eight o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: But no, I know, can you put it out on a porch or something and that at least is closed in so the animals don't get it?
Speaker 9: Or no, it's cold enough. I don't. I don't know what kind of critters can crawl back and forth, but I mean something stuff. Maybe I'm just going to go.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna get to get a little one tomorrow and then see what we want to do about I don't know if it can be serviced. I mean, do they fix refrigerators anymore? Did they just bury them and any one.
Speaker 2: Probably not. They hold a lovely service and they take it to the well.
Speaker 9: Moving on. Happy Saint Patrick's Day weekend right to you as well.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it. It's it's a it's a nice way stop during the year kind of to me says winter is finally over. You know. We can talk about Groundhog's Day Valentine's Day on March first, but Saint Patrick's Day, that's.
Speaker 3: That's my holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're going to celebrate it tomorrow, tomorrow and all out in Idaho. There's no parades in Idaho, I'm sure for Saint Patrick's.
Speaker 9: Day, right, Probably not, but I wouldn't go to one anyway, So no, I you know, I I kind of like leave amateur Hour to the amateur hours now. But I love friends and I we did we did. We did the the Hodge to the Black Rose for many many years on Saint Patrick's Day and it was it was always fund to stay a life for a while.
Speaker 2: But it's it's a it's that's a bit of a religious experience, I'm told, probably when you're.
Speaker 9: In twenties, yes, but it was great, didn't you didn't eat I like the gray corn beef. I do not like the red stuff. So I kind of cook my guy corn, my own brisket, and I have my own corn beef, and I love the music.
Speaker 6: And how much cherry?
Speaker 2: How much Irish blood do you have in you? You are you thorough?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 9: No exactly. I mean, I know my mother's grandmother was a Kelly. My mother's mother was a Kelly, and so they had that. There's a little bit of Scotch in there somewhere, and we also have a lot of English. So that must have been a fun family reunion way back when.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, no, you know, hey, they buried the hatchet and they they they now yet it was yeah, well they have. But back in those days, I think that there still was good feelings amongst families. That's all. We might be related. I had some relatives who were Kelly's, so who knows, you know, we're we're all in some form of fashion related. Anyway, Have you got I want to give away a night side T shirt? Have you got a night side T shirt out there to wear now that spring is about to spring to spring to spring past its Yeah, no, it's not. Unfortunately it's gray. It's great. So you can take you can take it or leave it your choice. You let us know here. Okay, is it?
Speaker 9: Is it an Irish steam or is it a night side T shirt?
Speaker 2: Nice side T shirt? Night side T shirt? I can get you an Irish I can get you an Irish T shirt if you want. Would you like an Irish T shirt?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 9: I do have a gray one, but green is my favorite color.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I don't have any green knightside T shirts. But I'll get your green T shirt from our friends of college Hype. That'll be That'll be a nice, uh spring addition to your wardrobe.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes my night much better?
Speaker 2: All right, excellent, excellent, that's coming to you from our friends at college Hype. And you just leave the all the information, size, et cetera address and we'll get it in the mail in the next couple of days for sure. Okay.
Speaker 9: I appreciate that, and thank you and happy things have to pay that got them the other guy.
Speaker 2: I know, Yeah, but I don't think you've been drinking. Thanks Lloyd. We'll talk soon. Don't hang up. Get that information a rob Okay, what are we gonna do here? Well, we got four more calls. We're gonna get everybody in we're gonna be a little quicker. We're gonna take a break and we'll be right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling. You're going to go to Jennifer in you aremo boy, Hey Jennifer, welcome back. Happy Saint Patrick's Day. How are you?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 10: Good Dan? Thank you? Yes, the same to you. What I do for Saint Patrick's Day being and I do home healthcare. I make a millions of share More cookies and bring them to a lot of the nursing homes in the area residents to enjoy. That's very kind of you, and that's my gift for Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 2: That's an annual tradition. Know what, because you've been so general, I'm going to send you. I'd like to send you a night side T shirt.
Speaker 10: Oh thank you, that's so nice. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, what you got to do is you got to give your name and address and your phone number. Remember, get the phone numbers, Rob and whatever size you want. The biggest they go up to is two X. I'm sure that you're no two X, but whatever you need, you let us know. It's kind of a great night side T shirt and you can wear it. Summer is right around the corner. You can show your pride in Nightside and show it off in Yarmouthport this year.
Speaker 10: Okay, yes, And if you ever get the inkling to come down here, I'd love to have you as a guest to my home.
Speaker 2: Well, you never know, you never know. I do spend some time on the cape in the summertime, and I'd be more than happy to give your call and stop buy and say hello. So you just leave all of that information. And when did you start this cookie tradition, because that's pretty nice.
Speaker 10: Oh gosh, probably twenty five years ago.
Speaker 2: Good you you've gotta be a good person to do that. That's great. Well, Jen, you hold on and we'll get you that Nightside T shirt in the mail in no later than Monday.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, that's great. Thank you Dan very much.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Rob will take all that for you. Okay. Let me go next to Doreen and Chelsea. Doreen, you were next on Nightside. Welcome.
Speaker 5: How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great?
Speaker 6: Toy san patties to everybody out there.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 8: Them well and good luck.
Speaker 6: I remember what they say when Irish eyes are smiling, the whole world smiles with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm guessing that you must have a little bit of Irish blood in you. Yes, I do.
Speaker 7: I do for you, and I love the dinner.
Speaker 9: I love the dinner, especially the cabbage, curly cabbage.
Speaker 6: Are you too, Yeah, I've.
Speaker 2: Never developed a taste for it. It's funny people.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 8: It's good for your blood.
Speaker 3: Good for your blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the that is good to know, Dorian. Yeah, well, I you know what I'm I'm going to send you a nightside T shirt too. How's that? Okay?
Speaker 6: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Show it off well, I would appreciate that. Summertime's coming and very very comfortable. They're gray with I think it's blue lettering. So you leave your information with Rob and we'll take care of you. Okay.
Speaker 6: You hanging there, and thank you very much.
Speaker 2: My pleasure, Derry. Thanks for being such a loyal Nightside listener. Let's go to Karen in Rhode Island. Karen and going to get you in here and a couple more. Karen, You're next on Nightside.
Speaker 11: Hi Dan, Happy Saint Patrick's Day.
Speaker 2: Right back at you. A happy weekend. The weekend is about to start for all of us. Tgi F it's Friday, that's for sure, Yes it is.
Speaker 11: This is the first time I can honestly say I am pot Irish because I recently did my DNA and I came back twelve percent Irish.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh wow? What what are the other? What's the other? Eighty eight percent? Is it?
Speaker 11: Well, big surprise?
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you a mutt like many people?
Speaker 11: If you know what I'm saying, I'm my mother on my mother's side, both her mother and father have English ancestry. On my father's side, his father came from Sweden, his mother, the ancestry was English. So I knew all I knew was English that I could actually trace back to a person. So I finally decided to do my DNA and find out if I could find like connections over there, to do more, do more research because it's hot with records over here, to get records over there. And yeah, I'm twelve percent Irish and I'm twelve percent and twenty eight Swedish and the rest of it is English.
Speaker 2: That's a good combination. Good combination there, that's for sure. Hey, that's great. That's great, Karen. Let me. We're just giving away night side T shirts here, so let's give one more to you. You have you don't have one yet. No, well we're gonna get you one. But you're gonna do the same thing. Leave all your information with rob name, phone number, and whatever size you want. Okay. The biggest we go was two X, but I'm sure that you're less than.
Speaker 7: Two X I am.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, we'll get your good gray T shirt and it'll work for you. And they're pretty warm, by the way, they're really good quality T shirts. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Dan, and have a nice week again.
Speaker 2: Don't hang up, don't hang up. All right, let's keep rolling here. I got Tim and Woolber and Tim. A little Irish blood.
Speaker 6: Here, a lot of Irish blood. How much my mother was My mother was a rooney from Cork. My father McMahon, right, a hundred percent Irish.
Speaker 2: Well, you got it all, You got it all whereabouts in County Cork. My four meres are from Mala, which is.
Speaker 6: That I not I'm not. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: You got to do the research on that. You got to do the research and then at some point have you ever been back over?
Speaker 6: No, no, my mother has been over there. We sent my mother over. She passed away, but we sent our mother over the years ago. She loved it.
Speaker 2: Well, you should see if she left you some notes of relatives. It's it's a it's something everyone should do. We should talk about it sometime.
Speaker 6: Okay, could I ask you? Are you Italian?
Speaker 2: Nope? Nope, Irish with the A on the end, right, AE, I owe you were the vowel.
Speaker 6: I thought you might have been.
Speaker 2: Anyhow do you know any people who have the last name of Shay s h g A. You kind of get more Irish than Shay.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's right, yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyhow, let me tell you a quick story years ago, right, I came home.
Speaker 2: You gotta be quick on this, tim You gotta be quick on this one, because they got one more behind you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, okay, tell you what.
Speaker 6: Anyhow, I'd love a night side T shirt. I wear it to the function at Namoli.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what, why not? Go ahead? Well you stay right there, We'll get you a night side T shirt. Okay, Okay, thanks you hanging there? Okay, on one boy here, let me go to j L in Boston. J L welcome, How are you hi?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 2: Hi? JL.
Speaker 8: I wanted to call because I just recently learned this past week that my maternal grandmother has been recognized in the Boston Women's Heritage Trail.
Speaker 2: Excellent, how about that?
Speaker 8: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: What was she recognized for, j L?
Speaker 8: Well, she was a lost resident of the old West End at three seventy nine Charles Street, all right, all right, and fought the taking of the West End.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A lot of people thought that that was terrible for that community. But yeah, unfortunately, there's a lot of communities that get themselves gentrified. There's no question about that. Have you called before? I never had a JL call this show. I have not. No, We've got to give you a run of applause. JL, thank you so much for our digital studio audience. JL. I gotta let you run. I've had five T shirts to give away. If I had one more, I would give it to you. So I'm going to get you maybe next time when you call. Okay, Okay, thanks JL, appreciating congratulations on your grandmother. That's quite an honor. That's wonderful.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thank you, Thanks, JL.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 8: Oh she was one hundred percent Irish.
Speaker 2: Well then you've got to be at least I'm guessing fifty percent. So happy Saint Patrick's n you as well.
Speaker 8: Thank you. That's the whole reason for my calling.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, thanks, Thanks Jay, I'll talk to you soon. We had done for the week. We're done for the night. Rob Brooks, great job, Maria, great job. Happy Saint Patrick's Day to everyone. There are people who are still calling, but I can't get you in because we're run out of time. I will be on Facebook again. I would remind you if you want to join us for a brunch on April twenty seventh. Uh, make a reservation seven eight one three seven five two five nine four. Oh call me at WBZ and I'll give you all the specifics. Done for the week, I'm going to be on Facebook. Just go to Facebook night Side with Dan Ray and I'll talk to you in the next couple of minutes. Have a great weekend. Everyone on dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my Pelle, Charlie ray Is, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's where all your pets are. Where past they loved you, You love them. I do believe you'll see them again. We'll see again on Monday night everyone, and of course you can listen to Best of night Side at Sunday Night at eleven. Have a great weekend, everyone,