Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Chaal, that's a terrific idea. All of you should stick around for Nightside. Rob Brooks and I am definitely going to stick around. We'll be here until just about two minutes before midnight for the next four hours, give or take a few minutes. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside, starting off another full week of programming here from eight to midnight every Monday through Friday night on w BZ, Boston's news radio. We have four guests coming up. Let me tell you that. Later on this evening, beginning at nine o'clock, we're going to talk with We're not gonna talk with. We're going to talk about the dismissal yesterday of New England Patriots head coach Gerard Mayo. I'm not so sure that was the right move, and I'll be in the minority on that, but we can discuss that. At ten o'clock. Going to talk about Boston traffic. It may not be the worst, but it's nearly the worst of the top twenty five most congested American cities. We will get to all of that, but first of all, we have four very important guests here coming up this how we're going to talk about eight foods that will add to your diet. In twenty twenty five, going to talk with a Syrian American doctor from Boston who is returning to Syria for the first time to help rebuild healthcare in that trouble company. And actually we'll be talking with the Boston Club sports reporter Chris Price about the firing of girod Mail. But first, first, delighted to welcome the mom of a marine as I understand that, Maureen Burne. She has started a program or she and others have started a program called Miles for the Military, bringing dozens of active duty marines home for the holidays. Maureen burn Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 3: How are you great, Dan, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Well, first of all, Miles for Military. How long has this this great idea been operational?
Speaker 3: Thank you you're well. We're a new nonprofit. We started up last year sending some kids home for the holidays, and this year we sent about fifty military marines, naves, sailors, soldiers home for the holidays.
Speaker 2: So this is across this is across all branches. The beneficiaries here are oh yes, a military person. Okay, fine, I.
Speaker 3: Know a junior and listen, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right from one to four to one to spect four. Your son served the Marines or is he still serving? What's what's he's a.
Speaker 3: Veteran now his name is Ronan. Yes, he and his best friend Danny, they both served together. And the Marine's done in Camp June. Well, they spent some time also in Okinawa as well. But yeah, but.
Speaker 2: They now are veterans. And I assume that the finance you burden that, you know, I have lower rank members of the military. I have to get home for a holiday or a birthday, assuming they're lucky enough to get a three day pass or a four day pass. Uh, and it makes it worthwhile. Uh they're not earning all that amount of money.
Speaker 3: Uh so they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I'm familiar with that, very familiar with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So was that what prompted the idea? And you you absolutely.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what happened. It was one Thanksgiving and I flew my son home and the ticket was astronomical to come from North Carolina to Boston, and I said, no, and how do the other kids get home like this is crazy. He said, Mom, nobody goes home. Nobody goes home. I said, why not, and he said, I thought they're going for Christmas.
Speaker 2: Hang on the name.
Speaker 3: He said, no, Mom, nobody goes home.
Speaker 4: I can't afford it.
Speaker 3: He's like a lot of kids, they actually send money home to their parents. And I really kind of really broke my heart.
Speaker 2: Back in when I was in the military, a lot of the airlines allowed you to fly stand.
Speaker 4: By for.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 2: So that's been taken away.
Speaker 3: Huh wow, you know I don't. Somebody said that to me a couple weeks ago. I had never heard of that, and I've been on every website of every airline thinking this can't be my I'm the only one who came up with this idea, and I've never seen it, so I don't think that's me.
Speaker 2: This This was back in the nineteen seventies, so it's a long time ago. And I think after the airlines basically were allowed to function, there were often seats available, but obviously they tried to fly full. Now so normally they're asking people to surrender their their seats and paying them to surrender the seats. So you've gotten so far about fifty members of the military. Through your great work and your use great work, you have been able to get about fifty folks home.
Speaker 5: So first of all, Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do we spread the word? Okay, really word of mouth from the Marines. I went down to Campbell Joon area last year when we decided to have our first pilot, and since I knew the area it was, it was easy to choose there and I just sort of asked the whole bunch of nonprofit organizers to come to this little house I rented. They didn't know me, I didn't know them. They all showed up, every single one of them, and we had dinner, We talked, and then I invited the other woman who works on the marine base and she let her, you know, the E one three four that she knew in her area, know about it our little pilot, and it just took off. We had about two hundred signed up within like a couple of days. And the struggle was it was late in the season, so getting their their volunteer work done was okay.
Speaker 2: So you got fifty, You've got transportation for fifty pretty much out of Camp June, I assume, but maybe some others heard about.
Speaker 4: It last year.
Speaker 3: Yep, last year. Well there's new river as well. It's right there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now how can people support the program? What's your website? Yes, I assume, Yeah, this is the most important part. How people could send you a few dollars? Are you a five O one C three at this point or are you still?
Speaker 3: Yes? We are? We are registered. No, we are a registered five to one C three. They can go to miles for military dot org perfect and.
Speaker 2: That dot org and then there's a donate button there and people can get involved other than financial support, which is critical. Do you need volunteers for any of the paperwork or any anything like that?
Speaker 3: No, we don't. That's some kind of you to us. We have the generous help of a friend of mine his home office, and they're amazing. I mean it's not just me, it's there's a team of us. But as we grow, I might call you back later.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, you could call us back later three four, five months from now, and we can do this again around Memorial Day for example, uh, the fourth of July. I know that people, And again the fact that it's five oh one C three donations that people make if they itemize their charitable deductions. They can take that donation as a U and which is so Mareene. So it's it's again just Milesfromilitary dot org. Best way that people to get in touch? Now, I'm going to ask you this. There are some people who listen to the radio who still do not have a computer. So is there any way and please don't give out a personal phone number, but is there any other way in which people can communicate with you?
Speaker 3: Well, they can email me, Maureene at miles from military dot org.
Speaker 2: Okay, we also have you to do that, but that's okay, Well, yeah, you're right, they can.
Speaker 3: We'll have a phone number. It's I just want to make sure I have the right number. I believe it's six zero three four five six one two eight eight, but I really need to check that.
Speaker 2: Six oh three four five six one two eight eight. Is it on your website?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is it on your website? Because I can open up your website website right here? Yeah, in two shakes, here here's a contact. Let me see what it is. Uh, yes, six oh three four five six one two eight eight. You hit it right on the button. And there's also an address on Huntingdon Avenue, miles from the military one oh one Huntingdon Avenue, twenty fourth floor in Boston, Massachusetts, two one nine nine. Uh and Rob, if anyone wants to call Rob my producer in the next you know, half an hour, so Rob will I isolate all that information as well, worrying, best of luck. Thank you very much, it sounds.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, very well, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Come back and talk to us. Okay, thank you very much. Happy New Year two as well. You're doing God's work on this one where we get back while it's going to talk about a different form of God's work, and we're going to talk with a Syrian American doctor from the Syrian American Medical Society. Big changes in Syria. Maybe maybe we can help that country get back on its feet after the reign of that family for fifty years. We will talk with doctor Abdul Fatah Aisha. Coming back on WBZ, Boston's news radio. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. Stay with us.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios i' WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Those of us who follow the news know that there have been some big changes in Syria in the last few weeks, the Asad family no longer runs that country and with us is doctor Abdul Fatah el Shah. Remember the Syrian American Medical Society, Doctor Elshar, Welcome to night side. How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm doing fine. Thank you very much for hosting me.
Speaker 2: So first of all, tell us about the Syrian American Medical Society. I think the name does kind of explain what it is, but I'd like to know a little bit about the group, and then let's talk about what your plans are.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: The Syrian American Medical Society was established in nineteen ninety eight as a professional medical organization whereby Yian physician in the United States get together and arranged and stated, Okay, let's guys get to meet once a year, let's do a conference in Syria. And the physician from all over the United States used to go to Syria once a year and govide attend, organize a medical conference and do some medical relief and then come back to the state. So that's how it started. Then when the conflict erupted in Syria in twenty eleven, the American Medical Society activated the SAMs Foundation the American Medical Society Foundation and focusing on a medical relief work. And since then this organization has been very active. We have now about the thousand member in the United States, mainly physician, we have pharmacists and dentists, and we've been very fortunate to be able to help those in need in Syria and in the neighboring country. For example, last year this organization provided over three point five medical services to the northern part of Syria. This organization supported forty seven medical facility in Syria. Last year, this organization supported provided the salaries for staff about two thousand, three hundred staff member inside Styria and then about two hundred and fifty staff member in the region neighboring country. We have an office in Jordan, in office in Lebanon, an office in Irbil, and headquarter in Turkey, and we have an office in in Greece as well. And these offices were established to provide support for the refugees who left Syria because of the unfortunate crisis the war they faced the last fourteen years.
Speaker 6: This is just now.
Speaker 2: Once the civil war started in twenty and eleven, was it more difficult? I assume it certainly was more dangerous to physically go into Syria, to go into Damascus or anywhere else. And so therefore, has your work been outside on the periphery of the company country or are you still annually going there and holding a conference.
Speaker 5: Now since the war erupted, We were planning to go to in twenty eleven for our conference. The lost conference took a place in twenty ten, and then in twenty eleven we were planning to do a conference in Olimpo, the second largest city, but then when the war erupted, we end up doing the conference. Then since then we start doing our conferences in a neighboring country. We've done in a conference in Amman, We've done a number of them in Turkey, We've done a conference in Germany and Berlin. We've done a conference in Suraevo in Bosnia as well. So that's where we've been doing our annual conferences since the word up. It has not been saying to go ahead and do medical conferences. Now, what changes that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my that's my next question is obviously we still really don't know. My understanding is that the fellow who is in charge of the group that forced Aside to leave or or made this aside to leave that he himself had been involved in ISIS for a while. And I assume that our intelligence agencies are still trying to figure out whether we're going to be able to deal with him. What are they telling you in terms of your ability to get back in on.
Speaker 5: The ground, well, in terms of getting back underground. I uh Syrian members, Syrian Committee members from the United States have been willing to have been traveling to Syria now since the sad regime left the country. I was fortunate to go there myself about two weeks ago. I went there for a short period of time and I'll have to tell you it was the best strep for me going back home. I was happy to see people so happy. They've never been as happy as this time, having the regime that controlled the country for over fifty years, the family and the war they've struggled with over the last fourteen years. What the Syrian community Syria has daised the last fourteen years was the worst humanitarian crisis since World War Two. So there's nothing has been witness in this on the globe and as tragic since World War Two. What happened to the Syrian people Unfortunately, the Syrian people were tragically suffered and killed by their own regime. Over half of the population were displaced, about six point seven million displays internally, about six point eight displace have to leave their countries. Over half a million people die. So you cannot really imagine, I mean, the tragic situation that the people have to go through, the mental impact on the Syrian community, it's a huge Every family, every Syrian family has been affected by this crisis. So to see the regime leading the country and to see the changes that took the place to presency, this is a big relief for Syria and for the region.
Speaker 2: You know, when you talk about six or seven million people leaving, six or seven people, six or seven million people being displaced internally, half a million people being killed. How of Syria is a big country physically, but how big is the population there? Just to put it into some context.
Speaker 5: The population about twenty four million, so they talk.
Speaker 2: About half the country was either displaced in turn or left the country. This is a huge humanitarian crisis. How optimistic are you that the mere departure of a sade is going to open the windows of a better life for this country in the next fifty years.
Speaker 5: I am very optimistic. The Syrian community is very optimistic that we are starting a new chapter in Syria, a chapter of peace, a chapter of prosperity and well being, and chapter of respect. Syrian community has suffered so much the last fifty years, but worsely the last fourteen years. As we've mentioned with the numbers that you repeat it as well when you go and look at this. Steria was faced by the war, Steria was faced with the COVID and then Syria was faced with the earthquake that hit of twenty three. So you don't find any country on the planet that had to deal with the war for fourteen years, had to deal with the COVID pandemic, and had to deal with an earthquake or about two years ago. So this is this is it's very difficult really to describe. So it's to see the regime leaving the country, to see this is the best thing that happened to Syria. I mean when I been there to see my family and to see everyone so happy, never been happy as this time. To see a regime that was really just killing his own people, was making their children suffer. I mean, imagine fourteen years what happened to the children in terms of their education. People living intent, people living intent weather in Lebanon, living intent weather in the northern part of Syria. Until today there are people live intent and those people are hopeful that they will be able to go back to their home. And a lot of people just you know, their homes are destroyed, but they will be really willing to go and rebuild their homes because you know, this surgeam is not there anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, we wish you the best of luck, you courageous man to do this, Doctor Elkshaw. Is there a way in which people can help Syria or help your organization? Is there a website you'd like to direct people to?
Speaker 5: That's correct, yes, so just one I'll get you the website, which is the Syrian American Medical Society, So one moment.
Speaker 2: Please, Well what they can probably google the Syrian American Medical Society and they can get much more information from there. And I appreciate you taking the time tonight to spend some time with us. Thank you very much, doctor Elshaw.
Speaker 5: It is my pleasure. Yes, they can go ahead and just look stamps and with Syria and then they will be able to access our website, they'll be able to learn more about the organization than they will be able to support. And this is the website. One second, it's sounds.
Speaker 2: That's okay, go ahead, you want to if you have it there quickly.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Yes, yeah, I have it here. So the website is sound s A ms hyphen usa dot net and e T this is our website.
Speaker 2: Okay, s A ms Hyphenusa dot net. Thank you very much, doctor appreciate it very much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, and to have a good evening as well.
Speaker 2: YouTube when we get back to talk with doctor Patrick Porter about eight foods he's a pH d. He's not a medical doctor, but he's a PhD. About eight foods that can help you in your diet in twenty twenty five to be more happy. Sounds good to me. I can't wait to hear from him back right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio, We're.
Speaker 2: Going to talk about food and sleep technology with us is doctor Patrick Porter. Doctor Porter, we got about eight or nine minutes here, but I think we got a lot of things to cover.
Speaker 4: How are you, tonite, I'm doing well. Thanks for having me. It's great to be here.
Speaker 2: You're the founder of a group of an organization called brain Tap, the leader in technology enhanced meditation, and you pioneer the use of brainwave entertainment to improve clarity, sleep, and energy. You got to explain that one to me, doctor garretta Heead.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, what we know is that the every cell of your body is interacting with its environment, and we can use light, sound, and vibration in a headset and we can change brain waves. The reason that's important is that when you're stressed out, you don't have a full spectrum brainwave, so your body doesn't create the natural mood altering neurotransmitters you need. And also redo is stress hormones. So we started off doing it for pain control, but now we use it for everything from learning disabilities to helping people with dementia, to you know, mind over menopause, to sports. You know, Tom Brady uses it within this group called tbr X, which.
Speaker 2: Is let me ask you this, do you do you think this guy Brady will be successful in football?
Speaker 4: Well, you've been successful.
Speaker 2: Holy joking with you, doctor, this is bosted. I'm only joking.
Speaker 6: With you, all right.
Speaker 2: You got it all right, Okay, you're quick on that. That's okay. Look, so how is this accessible to people even who aren't Tom Brady?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, right, Well, you can go to brain tap dot com and get some free tips, and there's free things on my YouTube channel to help your brain. But you can learn about it. It's an app first of all, so you can download it and try it. It's a it's a free app. So the number one thing it does is help you sleep. When you're talking about sleep technology, we need to downregulate them nervous system so that the stress and anxiety is trying to think of it as washing it out before you go to bed, so you can your brain can be free to move into that rest and relaxation state and recover.
Speaker 2: Now you were not a medical doctor, but you're a Are you a psychologist? As I understand it helped me out here.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm a psychologist. Yeah, I'm a psychologist. But my undergraduates and electronics. So I've always looked at technology, but we didn't have technology like we have today when I went to school in the eighties. But I admitted to technology in eighty six and been evolving it ever since then. And now just seems to be a time when more people need it than ever because of the stress you're all under.
Speaker 2: You went to school in the eighties, when I went to the school. When I went to school in the seventies, they were developing this concept. It was a device called an avocus. So I'm a little bit behind you as well. So the app is simply brain Tap br ai n capital tap.
Speaker 4: Yep, yep. And they say the Brain Fitness Company when they do the app because some people are you know, because we're pretty big out there. We have one hundred and twenty thousand users, so people will use our name to market, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they should therefore seek what brain you said, brain fitness companies that I thought you.
Speaker 4: Brain tap the Brain Fitness Company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, fine, okay, great, okay. No, we want to make sure people get to the get to the right place now. In addition, I see a note here that there are eight foods that we can add to our diet in twenty twenty five for more happiness. Is that connected? Is that part of what you advise people to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Actually, I've written several books, and one of the things I say is the phase one for brain fitness is your nutrition because you cannot think a bad diet. So there's foods you can change that can change your mood. And that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, one of the things I want to go through these eight because I actually dark chocolate. I incorporate dark chocolate into my diet to be really honest with you. And bananas, I'm a big banana guy. Coconut is number three. Uh, I'm not so much coconut, But tell us what coconut does for you.
Speaker 4: Well, coconut is they say, it's a short change. Trigothrite means it's a fatty acid. And our brain is made up mostly of water and fat. But it needs the me It needs a Mega trees, not a Mega sixes and nines as much. So it's really good for your brain and it'll give you quick energy and you can cook with it. It's it's a lot more healthy than some of the passionized oils that are out there.
Speaker 2: So there, so there is a coconut cooking oil is Well, I'm not a cook.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really what they're talking about here. There They when because not a lot of people can eat coconuts, you know, they're they're not in season all the time, but you can go to any grocery store and get coconut oil and just start substituting that. In fact, people like it so much they use it instead of butter sometimes. Yeah, okay, it has a special taste to it.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you something what I learned a long time ago, and I sort of have a compendium of useless information in my head because of what I do. I learned a long time ago, believe it or not, that there are more people killed every year around the world by coconuts than by shark attacks. Have you ever heard that statistic? It's true. It was done out of a study in Montreal about ten years ago, which is extraordinary when you think about it, because we're.
Speaker 4: All, yeah, yeah, when you know, they're pretty high up there in the tree, so I guess if they come down on your head, you're gonna And usually when like when I go to India or to one of the Asian countries and there you get the coconuts right off the tree and they give you a straw and you get to drink the coconut us. It's really deliciou just and they're standing right under the tree so I could see that maybe they would get clobbered or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me I want to hit these other I took you down a little bit of a side path there, But that's a true story. Is you can check it out. It was a study out of Montreal back about ten years ago. Anyway. The fourth item is coffee, and I'm a big coffee guy, which is great. H So you know, for so many years people were terrified of drinking a lot of coffee. Coffee's great. Avocado. I'm not big on avocado, but my daughter is and she swears by it. And Tom Brady swears by avocado, by the way.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right. Yeah, So we've got a couple of things that yet. Avocados have two things that we need in abundance. One is fat, healthy fats for the brain. But it also has fiber, and fiber will absorb two hundred times its weight in toxins. So if you're eating a lot of other foods or you're stressed out, you're creating toxins in the bloodstream, and you want to have a way to clear those out. So avocado's becomes a very healthy way to do that. And you can add it to salads or you can eat it raw even you know, and it's going to have It actually aids in your nervous system function and mood regulation. They've they've had studies that prove that, and it improves blood flow to the brain most of all for those people that need a boost in their cognitive function. It's a really good way to do that. And you know, if you had a half of half of it for lunch and a half for dinner, I mean, you see magic happen in your brain. And I always recommend that when we're working with somebody with dementia because it's an easy way to get their their essential fats.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great. And then there's three more items. One that's great berries. I assume that includes blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. That's what we're talking about there, I assume, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And there these are. Besides, the banana has a lot of fast acting you know, sugar. You know a lot of people will leave it for energy, but the berries will give you sustained energy. Especially the strawberries and raspberries and things like that. They're gonna they're really good for your body and they're good for your brain. Because they give you slow acting sugar. The more sugar, that's what alcohol does. You know you're drinking sugar. The buzz is really from the sugar overload to the brain, and so we want to reduce.
Speaker 2: That, okay. And then there's two more fermented foods sour kraut, kimchi, which I know is a Gilian food, keyfer yogurt. All good all good things create prot biotics, I guess correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, what happens. Most people don't realize that serotonin ninety percent of it is made in your gut. So you need foods that are going to do it. If you're going to feed the good bacteria, which we need. There's a gut brain access and if your guts out of whack because you're eating a lot of foods that are high in lectins, like a lot of the bad grains and gluten and things like that, the kimchi and yogurt and sour crawt will help to buffer that and get your get you more normalized there.
Speaker 2: And then last but not least, mushrooms and these legal mushrooms.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right. Yeah, So when you think about mushrooms, they do the same thing. They're actually a modulator for serotonin, and think of serotonin as the happy hormone that in the neuro transmitters that work with it. They help you to feel good. But we need a way to modulate them. So it's not just increasing them, but how do we get the body to actually use them. And that's what mushrooms do. They have a they have the ability of the capacity to do that, which is exceptionally good for the body.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, doctor Porter. I really enjoyed the conversation. Let's go back to the way in which people can can get in touch with a brain tap. It's going to say brain tap as an app, but the brain Fitness company is that? Is that the am I corrected?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they want to learn more about it, they go to brain tap dot com and then there's links there, or they can check out Dr Patrick border dot com. I have a lot of free advice on there and things they can start doing at home tonight if they wanted to.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, You know again, thank you for what you do. You're obviously a compendium of valuable information. I sort of am a companion of useless information. But I really appreciate the time you gave us tonight, and I'd love to have you back at some point periodically.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'd love to do that.
Speaker 6: Love to be very much.
Speaker 2: And again, as they say, I like to keep these these conversations a little light hearted. And that's why I kid a little bit. So please don't don't be offended if I try to run and sneak a joke by your here or there.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fine. The morning shows do a lot better job at being funny, but that's all right. I mean, even on the phone, they're just just telling jokes among themselves. So it's nice to be on the evening where we actually get to have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we'll do it again, Doctor Patrick Porter a brain tap the Brain Fitness Company. Thanks again. When we get back, we're going to talk with Christopher Price or the Boston Globe about drawed males dismissal for the Patriots, and we're going to talk about that next hour. Give you a chance to weigh in on it. From beginning after the nine o'clock news back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 2: We yesterday, as everyone knows, the Patriots finished a disappointed year in an upnoe beating the super Bowl bound Buffalo Bills. Much of the consternation of everybody in Jollette Stadium with us is Christopher Price. Chris Price, longtime Boston Globe sports reporter Christopher Price. Welcome to Nightside. How are you, my friend?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well, Dan. Is there something that you know that I don't know? The super Bowl bound Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think they're going to super Bowl? What do you think you don't like them? To go on?
Speaker 6: I love it, I love it. I look, Dan, I have a well known affinity for the Bills over the years. Every time I've gone up there to cover a game, it's all. He's exciting. The fan base is tremendous, and they love their football. They certainly deserve a winner. So if it's gonna happen any year, this this this year looks like a good year to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. But obviously we're going to talk about you, Rod Mail. I think he kind of got the short end of the stick yesterday. I know I'm in the definite minority here. I've interviewed Mayo on a totally different topic about five or six years ago and found would be a really nice guy. Nice guy, says Leod Rocha said finished last. So I guess he and Doug Peterson were the Were there any more victims of Black Monday than than Peterson had done in jackson Jacksonville?
Speaker 6: There were? Well, the thing was, there were a couple of guys who were fired during the year that maybe would have lasted, you know what, otherwise would have been fired on Black Monday. And I'll say this too. Our own Dan Shaughnessy kind of alluded to the same thing the other day that that look nice guys, finished last. This is a this is a hard league. It is a foot called league, and it can be a very cold place sometimes when you do not win. And four wins over the course of the seventeen one season is not a real formula for success. I think there were some ways he was kind of set up to I don't want to see he was set up to fail. That's maybe too harsh a turn. But look, they suffered a number of injuries this year. The offensive line was underperformed for much of, if not the entire season. They were shuffling guys in and out. The record, you'll be interested to know this one. Dan. The record for most dating back to nineteen ninety nine. The most offensive line the starting offensive linemen in a season was held by the twenty twenty two Los Angeles Rams at fourteen. The Patriots had twelve this year, which is an extraordinary total. And with that sort of instability up front in a rookie quarterback under center, that's not a recipe for success. So I do think there is something to the idea that he may have gotten a radio. But also the flip side is some of his decision making over the the year I think to me proved that he maybe was not quite ready for prime time.
Speaker 2: As they say, no, I hear you, I hear you. I think there was one offensive lineman yesterday. I think he had three penalties number seventy.
Speaker 6: And I mean, yeah, King Wallace, a rookie out of Penn State. It was not his finest hour. So yeah, I mean they had They had two rookies along the offensive line for a sizable portion of the year in King Wallace and in Leyden Robinson as well.
Speaker 2: So I mean it was they lost their center early in the season.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, not just not just any center too. I mean David Andrews is a foundational element of this franchise, and to lose him so early in the season and then kind of have to, you know, patch it all together, I think made it very very challenging. Again for a rookie quarterback back there, you want to do everything you can do to set them up for success. And I think Drake May played very well at times. I would love to see what he can do behind a more capable offensive line moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, David Andrews a good citizen and a great center. I was stunned yesterday at how well Joe Milton play. I mean, I have some friends who are a big University of Tennessee people, and they told me last August he's going to be great. He's going to be great. Obviously he had to wait until January fifth to show how great he was, but he looked like an NFL quarterback yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Almost.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Drake May is not going to be unseated by Joe Milton with what just one game. But I wonder if we have a potential quarterback controversy brewing in Jellette.
Speaker 6: I don't know if there's a quarterback controversy, but I will say this that there were questions about him coming out of college. In his consistency. We would sit up on the hill during training camp and you can watch him throw, and you can watch him kind of perform. And this was a young man who, to put it politely, was a bit raw in his accuracy specifically, And for him to come out yesterday and look, he was playing against backup, second and third teamers. I'm fairly certain the Bills were pulling people out of the stands by the end of the game. But he completed his first eleven passes, and he was able to move the football and he was able to have success. So I think ultimately the bottom line here is I think he proved himself to be worthy backup to Drake May moving forward. And I think that's all part of the conversation when you look at this team in twenty twenty five and beyond, I have.
Speaker 2: Never seen an NFL quarterback six foot five do a backflip like.
Speaker 6: I have a quick story about it. I have a quick story about Joe Milton, if you'll let me hear. I did a story on him back in July because he, for me, was the most intriguing prospect other than Drake May obviously that they drafted, and I talked to his personal quarterback coach, and his personal quarterback coach told me that when he got out of his car, when Joe Milton got out of his car and started walking toward him, he was like nineteen years old, but he was already like six five two twenty and his the guy in his head says, this kind of looks like an action figure for God's sake, So he is. He is a magnificent. He has a tantalizing talent. He's very for what it's worth too, he's very engaging, very conversational, very pleasant to talk to. And again, look, you know, you can't go wrong when you have an arm that can throw the football, you know, with eighty plus yards. So he's he came together very nicely this year.
Speaker 2: I'll say that, Well, it's very rare that you see, whether they have backup corners and safeties or first string corners and safeties who are NFL players to get beat on that forty eight yard touchdown. I mean, his guy was fifteen yards behind the nearest defender. Normally that's the sort of pass that the Patriots would drop. But told it, Yeah, he looked around, said, and there's no one between me and the goal line. Let's go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we turned out day and that was the second longest pass play the Patriots had this season, which gives you some sort of the idea of the maybe the offensive instability that they had. Look again, he's never I don't think he's ever going to unsee Drake May. But in a sad and sorrowful season, he provided a little bit of hope moving forward.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean if if, if they ever wanted to use him. Obviously, his performance yesterday cost them the number one pick, which, in the in the best of all possible worlds, could have gotten them some some pretty good linemen, you know, in a in a package deal to some team that needed a quarterback. Do you think that Patriots would ever turn around and say, hey, to some team, would you like mister Milton and maybe give us a few more few more offensive linemen or something. Does he become trade material at this point?
Speaker 6: You know what I'll say, I think if he has a good preseason next year, and that's going to be the next time where he's really going to get significant snaps, I think you could start to have a conversation with some other teams about using him as a potential backup moving forward. I think a lot of it depends specific to the offensive line, how they're going to go about fixing it, what they might do in free agency. There are a couple of really interesting names out there in free agency. And also, look, with the fourth overall pick, you're still in line to get the best offensive lineman. I think they might trade down a little bit. But I'll give you three names, three names for people to look for. Actually, I'll say a couple of mararity eliminated. But there's the left tackle from Texas. Kelvin Banks Junior is one of the best offensive linemen in the draft this year. Is a bona fide top ten pick. The Patriots could be evolving him now, let's use Will Campbell is the other one, and then the third one is Josh Counterly from Oregon. Those are three names that Patriots fans should keep in mind when you're talking about this year's draft specific to the tackle position. Those three guys are all probably first round. I would have to imagine the New England is going to keep its eye on all three of those guys as the pre draft process really gets underway.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Chris Price really enjoyed it. I'd love to have you back. Thank you so much. I love talking sports. Normally we don't talk sports here on Night Side, but well we will be talking sports next hour and see what the fans have to say. Thanks so much, my friend. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I love it. Take care. We'll talk soon, Dan, talk soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, good night. Weaking back. We are going to talk about what happened to Gerrod Mao. I got a soft spot on my heart. I think the guy's a real decent guy. I think was putting a tough spot. We'll hear from Bob Kraft and we'll hear from you six one seven four thirty six seven nine talking football right after the break.