Speaker 1: The Shenley Laboratories, producer of pessil and Shenley and Sanley Pharmaceuticals, presents the Yon Core. Theare be Yon Core, thea of play. Tonight, A Man to Remember. Our star is mister Lionel Barrymore. Tonight Shenley Laboratories presents another and a new series of great traumatic programs.
Speaker 2: Some of our stories of fact, the.
Speaker 1: Struggles and accomplishments of great men of medicine. Others of fiction, stories of devotion to an ideal individual, heroism or great courage. By these programs, Shenley Laboratories would remind you that medical science and progress are not cold in personal research or pages of statistics, but a warm human story told in living terms, whether it's the life of one of medicine's immortals or the everyday record of service rendered by your family physicians. Now A Man to Remember, starring mister Lionel Barrymore.
Speaker 2: For the doctor was dead. The funeral was over.
Speaker 1: It had been an impressive afternoon. The town band had walked before the funeral coach, and the people of the town had plunged the sidewalks to pay their last respects. The doctor was there, the earth was in place, and the stone and the words that honored him, And before the afternoon sun had sat, the vultures had gathered in his lawyer's office. George Sykes, the banker, Homer Ramsay, owner of the local department store, Jode Harkness, president of the school board.
Speaker 3: Sit down, gentlemen. I've got doctor Rabbit's strong box with me. I find that in most cases of this nature, the creditors prefer to wait until well the day after the benediction has been delivered.
Speaker 4: Now look at your Clyde. That ain't fair. The dog had want us to have our money. I hold Doc Abbot's personal OAE for six hundred dollars plus a hundred interest. How about you, Homer.
Speaker 5: I had the bookkeeper figure up his account to day. He owes the store seven hundred, twenty six dollars and thirty seven cents. Hasn't paid a bill since nineteen twenty eight.
Speaker 3: And you, Jude, you owees me eleven hundred dollars. His son gave this box to me this morning when I explained how eager you were to get his father's affairs in shape. Gentlemen, here is the estate. The estate that's right, A black signet ring an I trained some papers. Suppose we take the papers one by one. This one is headed Westport First National Bank. It reads sixty days after date or on demand. I promised to pay to George Sykes and or the Westport First National Bank the summer three hundred dollars with accumulated interest at seven percent of Signed John Abbott, dated June sixteenth, nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 6: That's the date, all right.
Speaker 4: He walked into my office with Dick Nick was a whobody. Then two of them looked about as poor as church mice. Well, if an aye, John Abbott, Yeah, how you'll find finds it own?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 6: That's been a long while.
Speaker 4: Putting you twenty five years?
Speaker 6: That's right. You'll left for college right after we graduated from high school. And yeah, and you were voted the boy most likely to succeed, weren't you.
Speaker 4: It seems kind of funny now of that.
Speaker 6: Sure, there is aiming to stay here for a while.
Speaker 4: Well, as long as I can be useful to the community. George, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 6: We got some doctors here already.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought there might be enough room for one more might be at that A lot of poor folks on the other side of town build up quite a little factory section over there.
Speaker 6: A lot of them folks need doctor, and.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess i'll stay there. I need a little eating money though, how much? All three hundred dollars. That's a whale of a lot of money, John, Well, I aim to do whale of a lot of eating in this town.
Speaker 6: What have you got to offer his security?
Speaker 4: Seventeen years experience as a practicing physician. Yeah, you know, what do we say about horses, John? There's horses and then again there's horses. I always say that about doctors too. Well, I've done pretty well here, bro, can't you. I'm meant about keeping my patience alive. That's my business, you know, all right, John, I'm going to make out a note for three hundred dollars and I'll give you two hundred and fifty. Got to have a little bonus, you know, when there isn't any security. But I always like to help an old friend. Do you help out many of your old friends this way?
Speaker 6: George h sign on this line.
Speaker 4: They should have elated you the boy most likely to succeed.
Speaker 6: That sure was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Here's the second paper, it's a deal. One of doctor App's statements. It's made doctor Howard Johnson. It reads June seventeenth, nineteen nineteen, delivery of child, twenty five dollars. Beneath it is the notation Johnson has no money.
Speaker 4: Wow, Doc, you have a fine baby, girl Johnson. Girl, and a healthy one too.
Speaker 6: Girls ain't no good on a farm.
Speaker 7: I want the boy. I wanted somebody who could help me work this land when I get old.
Speaker 4: Girls are for people who can afford him. Out my wife Johnson. I I did everything I could. I'm afraid she wasn't in very good condition to begin with, and well I had. I did everything I could. I know how you feel. I lost my wife that way.
Speaker 7: She never had nothing like She lived bad crops, bad times. Who was gonna have a good crop this season?
Speaker 4: I was gonna buy something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I'll keep the baby warm.
Speaker 9: And you get out of here.
Speaker 4: Get out of here.
Speaker 7: Don't ever come back.
Speaker 4: But man, man, you you want to know how to take care of the baby.
Speaker 8: I trld you to get.
Speaker 9: Said boy.
Speaker 10: That was some shin of pop.
Speaker 4: It is a beauty and sounds like a baby crying. It's out, sir, Come on look I'm well, I'll be come on and let's get her inside right away. He had a son, the doc. I'm sorry I hit you. Give the kid to somebody who'll be good to it. Johnson. She sure is. Well, Son, looks as though you got a baby's sister. I had forgotten Jean wasn't his own child. Now what's the next paper.
Speaker 6: This is a bill to doctor Rabbit.
Speaker 3: It's from you, Homer see Homer Ramsay, General Merchant Days, June seventeenth, nineteen twenty three to doctor Abbott account one baby doll twelve dollars. Please remit well, happy birthday do you?
Speaker 4: Happy birthday, Jean, Happy birthday to you. Now you take a big breath and blow the candles out on it. Hey, that's wonderful, all for it. Once. That means you're going to get your wishes. Now, then what did you wish for a dolly? Well? Well, well, I suppose you go and look in your bedroom and see what you find. You go with us undern the lights. Huh, yes, sir, come on, oh yep, oh oh, Homer Ramsay, what's the matter. Oh, I see Doc Robinson's.
Speaker 9: Out of town.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll be right over, doctors have the dog on his time, trying to give party. How is she? Doc? Well, Homer, your wife has a Q dependic on this. I'm going to have to operate right away. How much you're gonna charge me for this operation? I understand? Are you, by any chance interested in how your wife is doing?
Speaker 5: I certainly am, Doc, But I don't want any of this funny stuff about the price of the operation. I want a fair price, but I don't want to be stuck.
Speaker 9: You understand.
Speaker 4: I understand. Are you interested by any chance in how your wife's doing? How is she? Once? She's very low? Hello Homer? Hello, Doc?
Speaker 9: What can I do for you?
Speaker 4: I have the bill here with me for your wife's operation?
Speaker 5: One hundred dollars. That's right, John, that's right, Homer. How much of your time? Did the operation take?
Speaker 4: About four hours to calculate?
Speaker 5: Pretty good money for four hours work? Well, here, John, let's get down to the facts. I don't mind paying a just fee one hundred dollars for four hours.
Speaker 9: It's pretty steep.
Speaker 4: You really mean that, don't you, Homer? You bet?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 4: What do you pay your janitor around here?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: Forty cents an hour?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You see, I made a mistake in figuring the bill. Homer, Well, that's more like it. Yep, yep. The only place we differ is the value each of us put on your wife. I was a mid too high. So I'll settle right now for forty cents an hour, a dollar sixty cash.
Speaker 5: Now, John, I didn't mean that perfectly willing to pay a fair price.
Speaker 4: Give me a dollar sixty cents.
Speaker 5: But I I feel ashamed to settle for that, John, really not you norm give me the money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I'll just fix the bill. The Homer Ramsey count depend aside his operation. Missus Ramsey one hundred dollars settled for a dollar sixty cents cash. You got a bargain at that, Homer. You'd have had to pay a grave digger for six hours.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, we interrupt our play a man to remember to bring you an important message from Shenley Laboratories.
Speaker 6: Today. I'm supply room of.
Speaker 1: Eight thousand, three hundred eighty three American hospitals. You will find penicillin. Yet, only three years ago, the wonder drug was almost a medical rarity. The firms who devoted themselves to increasing the supplies of penicillin available struggled against many obstacles inherent in its production. Numbered among these firms was Schenley Laboratories. Although these companies have seen the realization of their goal enough penicillin to feel essential needs, they cannot feel their work is done. Up to the present, search workers at Chenley Laboratories have developed such products as penicillin tablets and trophies for administration by mouth and penicill anointment and of folm a ointment. Now these men are looking forward to the perfecting and production of other, and perhaps entirely different.
Speaker 2: Types of pharmaceuticals.
Speaker 1: It is ever the aim of Shenley Laboratories to know more of what benefits to mankind may be derived from medical research. It is our aim, too, to translate the knowledge we gain into reduction of more and greater aids to healing for all members of the medical profession. Now back to the second act of tonight's play, A Man to Remember, starring mister Lionel Barrymore. The doctor was dead and the afternoon sun was still haloing the freshly turned earth. The doctor was dead, and in his lawyer's office sat his creditors, the banker, the merchant, the president of the school, board.
Speaker 7: What's that next paper there, Lawyer perkinsenting of value.
Speaker 3: Not for you, Joe, it's the announcement of Richard's graduation from Curtis University. We all remember how proud Ducabbitt was that day. Richard was valedictorian of his class.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was nineteen thirty four.
Speaker 4: Right after graduation, Dick went to the New York Medical Center for postgraduate work.
Speaker 6: What's that paper there?
Speaker 3: The bill October eighth, nineteen thirty six to Paul Lubinowski.
Speaker 4: Diseased Paul Lubinovski.
Speaker 3: You remember Paul Lubanowski, don't you too?
Speaker 6: Course you do.
Speaker 3: The Duck mentioned him when he was arguing with you about building a hospital. As a matter of fact, all of you there, Homer, George, as well as Joe. It was a board of supervisors meeting past week.
Speaker 4: His board of supervisors appropriated eighteen thousand dollars to fight hog Koura. I've always worked on the theory that a man is more valuable than the hog.
Speaker 7: Now that in fair, Doc, new Lord. Hog's a big industry around here.
Speaker 4: Also, people, you figure that a dead hog represents twenty dollars loss, and a dead man caused nothing isn't that. There's much your business to take that human beings as it is, take care of horse. Far as I'm concerned, the whole scheme is ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Our budget won't stand it.
Speaker 9: Old thing's impractical.
Speaker 4: Oh right, gentlemen, all right, all right, Sorry, I can't spend more time with you, but I got work to do. There's a fellow on the other side of the town named Lubanovski. He's a foreman at the flour mill. They tell me his crew puts out more flour than the outfit in the mill. He's a good man, almost as good as a hog. Yesterday he got his arm caught in the mill. I had to amputate. I couldn't move him because I had no hospital to move him to, no ambulance if there had been a hospital. Now, I don't think Paul Lubinovki can pull through. Now, you take care of the hogs. I'll take care of the people that way, are you, doctor Rabert?
Speaker 6: Happen?
Speaker 4: What's the matter? It's my art. It was my fault, so I was showing her my gun. It was an accident. Come in the other room, quickly, come on, come on, Howard, I'll need you to. How is that feel, honey? Fine, you're a good doctor. Well, at least I'm the best one. Handy, he's not very serious.
Speaker 9: Howard may leave.
Speaker 4: A small scar, but that's about all. I'm awfully sorry, sir. I know there isn't anything to be said for me, but I'll do anything.
Speaker 7: I can to make it right.
Speaker 4: You mean that, Howard, Oh, I certainly do well. I got a little plan in mind. Anything, I'll do anything. Relax, Relax, it is that drastic now? My plan is this? Your father love you, doesn't he? Yes? And you're sorry for what you've done, so sorry that you'll make your father show but he loves you, Yes, sir, Howard, Gene may have needed surgery at night, X rays, transfusion and time might have been very important. You wouldn't have been a very happy boy, Howard. If Jeene doc I didn't know this near tragic little accident may be a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 3: Howard.
Speaker 4: I want you to go to your father, tell him a man as big as he is should engrave his name in the history of this town. He should leave something big for the town and for himself, like what like the George Sykes Memorial Hospital. That was a fine gesture you made church building that hospital. Well, I probably would have done it anyhow, I must admit it come in handy.
Speaker 3: It was rather small of you, though, I think restricting doctor Arabbott to.
Speaker 5: The charity ward well, the charity cases were always his pets.
Speaker 9: Anyway, let's get on with the box.
Speaker 4: This is a deal.
Speaker 3: A statement sent September twenty first, nineteen thirty seven to Missus Walter Lamb account Sally.
Speaker 4: Lamb six dollars.
Speaker 7: Oh, I remember that.
Speaker 3: I think we all remember that.
Speaker 4: I'll keep Sally in the house, Missus Lamb, and don't, under any circumstances let any children come in. I'll ride out exactly what I want you to do. Of course you'll be quarantined, but I'll be back this afternoon. Do you think it's anything serious, doctor, Yes, I think it's typhoid fever. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I'm sorry to have to interrupt a board of the supervisors again, but what I have to say today won't take very much. You're having a county fair in two weeks and I've come here to ask you to cancel it.
Speaker 6: Cancel it? Are you crazy? What for?
Speaker 4: Unless my diagnoses are completely wrong. We're in for an epidemic of typhoid fever.
Speaker 3: What gives you that idea, Doc, I have four patients, you have all the symptoms.
Speaker 4: I'll quarantine them. Four people out of a town of four thousand don't strike me as being an epidemic. Four cases of typhoid, gentlemen, are quite enough to start preventive measures so there won't be an epidemic. The merchants of this town have put up twelve thousand dollars for the county fair. You suggesting that we throw that money up a flo just because four of your patients might have typhoid. Hurry, all right, you leave me no other cost than the gold the newspaper. I'm going to warn this town, whether it costs our merchants twelve thousand dollars or not.
Speaker 7: Newspapers won't, Nathan, we tell it not to doctor.
Speaker 4: How much is your son worth you, Joe, that's not a fair question. You're willing to risk him for twelve thousand dollars. He won't get it?
Speaker 7: Will he typhoid fever?
Speaker 4: He might? He can only don't worry, Jode. I am going to say he doesn't get it. I hope all you gentlemen sleep well tonight.
Speaker 10: The boys are all waiting on the front porch dead. I have ten of them.
Speaker 4: Good given me each a pilo handbills. Tell him I want one in every house in town and all along Main Street.
Speaker 10: Here, let me see one warning typhoid fever. Do not attend the County Fair. Boil every drop of water you drink. I am making a house to house canvas to assure that everyone is examined. I will give each of you medical advice on purification of water, and provide chlorinated tablets for those who have their own water supply. If I do not get to your house, come to me in the evenings, John Abbott.
Speaker 5: Oh, doctor Ravin, I'm so glad you came.
Speaker 10: The children were all inside, and I talked to every mother in the block. They brought their youngers over here to save you time.
Speaker 4: Fine, final, let's get to work.
Speaker 8: There's we weren't home today, doctors who we came here to your house.
Speaker 3: I haven't got any money, doc.
Speaker 4: But I'll pay you.
Speaker 11: Pray day.
Speaker 4: Good evening, folks. Now, if you line up by one, we'll take care of you in the living room. Dad.
Speaker 10: The city Council is all serted up about us. They say you beligned the whole community and ruined the Fair. I'm afraid we're in trouble again.
Speaker 4: Uh probably, Jean. I'm tired. I never felt it before, but well, I'm an old man.
Speaker 6: You've heard the charges.
Speaker 12: Doctor it because I think person in them, the County Fair and the reputation of its all has been put in jeopardy by what we must consider an warranted action in your part. Have you any defense to offer?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, no, no defense.
Speaker 12: And I have no course but to put this matter into the record.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, I think I better go forward.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to be late, gentlemen.
Speaker 4: I've been very busy.
Speaker 3: We have six cases of time forward fever in Wellington.
Speaker 12: I shall assume we shall disregard all action taken in this meeting. Do I hear emotion that a committee appointed to appear before the Board of Supervisors and insist upon cancelation of the County Fair.
Speaker 4: I make such emotions all in favor.
Speaker 6: I I.
Speaker 11: Forty two cases in Wellington, twenty three cases in Palmdale, sixty eight cases in Wellington, thirty nine cases in Palmdale, four cases in Westport, but no new cases reported there since the beginning of the acdemic. Well that's the report, schulemen. I for one think we owe doctor rabbita.
Speaker 8: Might a big debt of bread atude, Daddy.
Speaker 4: There are some people to see you. People, Well send them in.
Speaker 10: I think maybe you'd better come out on the front porch. The minister's there, and well there's quite a mob of them.
Speaker 4: Huh. Oh, well, all right, good evening, doctor, good evening, Oh, good evening. Oh doctor, you've you've been among us for a long time, and you've worked hard. You never made much money, I guess because the people you worked for.
Speaker 3: Didn't have much, but you didn't care. You just kept right on working.
Speaker 4: Maybe a lot of us have been ungrateful. Maybe you think.
Speaker 3: We've forgotten, and we haven't.
Speaker 6: I have here a letter.
Speaker 3: It's a letter of thanks for all you've done. It's got four thousand signatures, doctor, almost every man, woman and child in this town. It's just to let you know that we we love you.
Speaker 6: Doctor Rabbit.
Speaker 12: Yes, Doctor Robson, in my mind and in the minds of my colleagues of the County Medical Association, you perform the most outstanding service in the history of our community. You have taught us all something, not only about medicine, but about humanity. The Westport County Medical Association, as they have delegated me to inform you that if you will honor us with your presence, you have an advance been elected president by acclamation.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 13: Hello man, I'm mighty proud of you.
Speaker 4: Dick. Well, when did you get back? Son?
Speaker 13: Got in on the afternoon train. I wanted to surprise you. I was just in time to hear the speeches.
Speaker 4: It's so good, you see. Well, I'm certainly having an exciting day.
Speaker 13: That uh, that shingle out there is too small. You know, you'll have to get a bigg one, big one. That's right, there's another name going under yours, doctor John Abbott and doctor Richard Abbot.
Speaker 4: Oh, the first thing in the morning. I've waited a long time for that.
Speaker 7: Kind of a shame. He had to die just when he was getting a little recognition.
Speaker 3: His heart was worn out, and so was he. He gave until he didn't have an ounce of strength left to give.
Speaker 9: What's in the envelope on the bottom.
Speaker 4: The money for his debts.
Speaker 3: According to his calculations, he owed the three of you two four twenty six dollars and thirty seven cents.
Speaker 4: Do you think he did? Why why don't we give the money to the charity award at the hospital? Give it?
Speaker 5: I kind of agree with you, George. Those debts should have been written off a long time ago.
Speaker 7: I guess you're right. You was a fine man. We might not have always seen eyed eye.
Speaker 5: At leastways, not until he sworks around to his way of thinking by.
Speaker 9: One means or another.
Speaker 6: But he was a fine man.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Doctor Abbitt, was a man could remember.
Speaker 1: In a moment, we'll bring back our star Lionel Barrymore. But first a word about doctors from our sponsor, Shenley Laboratories, maker of Penicil, and Shenley would like to remind you that the American standard of health is higher than that of any country in the world. We feel sure you will agree that the man who has done most to make the situation true is the American doctor. Shanley Laboratory's pledges to do all within its power to aid America's positions in their work of maintaining America's high standards of health. And now the star of to Night's play, mister Lionel Barrymore.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, to sum up the spirit of this Shanley Laboratory program. This simple and beautiful prayer of the physician, written centuries ago by my monodies, seems to me to be apt and fitting. The eternal Providence has appointed me to watch over the life and death of all thy creatures. May I always see in the patient, the fellow creature in pain. Grant me strength and opportunity always to extend the domain of my craft. Now this is the prayer of the physician. It's ages old, yet today it's as new as the hope for a peaceful way of life for all the world. May we invite you to listen again next week at this same time, when Shenley Laboratories presents The Prisoner of Shark Island, starring Zachary Scott, a great star in a great story.
Speaker 1: Good Night, a Man to Remember was produced and directed by Bill Lawns and was presented to the courtesy of ARCAP Radio Pictures produces Up Till the End of Time, starring Dorothy McGuire and Guy Madison.
Speaker 6: It was a Gene Holloway adaptation.
Speaker 1: This is Steph Graham's team for Shenley Laboratories. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System,