Speaker 1: You know what my favorite kind of movie is is the is the generic action blockbuster that clearly doesn't have sequel potential.
Speaker 2: That is your favorite kind of movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, honest to God. And I'll say this, I mean this from the bottom of my heart. One of my favorite movies of all time is Four Brothers because you go into it. I saw it in theaters. I felt like my heart was beating a mile a minute.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you my Four Brothers. Yeah, hit me with this. Okay, so I'm in this. Obviously, not a lot of people like this is not like a big budget no you know film.
Speaker 1: No. I think my friends and I were the only people in the theater.
Speaker 2: I want to come off and say I am not racist. Yeah, that's always a good start. These things actually happened and sparsely attended. It wasn't even opening weekend. Yeah, so I don't know. There's probably like thirty forty people in there, right. Yeah. And there's a scene where I think it's Garrett headliner Mark Wahlberg lifts up the bed and there's all these this ammunition. Yeah. Ok, yeah, this guy clearly black, sitting two rows in front of me, probably about eight or nine seats over. He goes, whoa that looked like my house, which I thought was funny. Okay, there is another guy. He may or may not have been with him. It was coming from the same spot. And this is this is so Wisconsin. He's on his phone, like not even trying to hide the conversation like it was just like.
Speaker 1: A normal talking.
Speaker 2: I mean, like and not like this, but he's trying to like like he was talking just casually, like if he's like out in public or was in his house or whatever. And finally, some Wisconsin guy in the most Wisconsin accent you could imagine, he turns around and I didn't see him, but I know he turned around because how his voice is coming. And he goes, hey, get off your phone, like super loud, and I'm like, oh my god. And then the guy just kept talking for another few seconds. Then I hear him go here goes say something like hang on or hold on, and then he just says kind of loud, louder than on his phone, but not really. He goes, man, shuts your bitch ass up. And I was like, and I was like, I will never forget what I saw. Four brothers. It was tremendous and then everybody laughed when he said that. Of course, of course that pulls the whole thing together.
Speaker 1: And like to me, like, I've seen that movie, like you described that scene, I can see it perfectly because I've seen that movie way too much.
Speaker 2: I would say proud, because it's on TV a lot. I bet I've seen it like fifteen.
Speaker 1: Times, easy, easy, and I just absolutely love it. I'd even include, just from this podcast, running Man, just a generic action movie. You could technically get a sequel out of that one. But I love that genre of film because when it's done right.
Speaker 2: You could get a sequel out of Four Brothers.
Speaker 1: You won't though, well, I mean I'm gonna be called three Brothers spoiler alert.
Speaker 2: No, because then there's like another long lost Oh we didn't know he was our brother, and I'm trying to think who that Who that would be Glenn Powell and like, oh my god, you were our brother too. Yeah, And you could definitely do like somebody obviously took over like chowelte Cha four, like somebody took over his cri. Yeah sure, Victor Sweet, Yeah yeah, Victor Sweet. And you could definitely make a sequel on now it's been too long and it won't happen, but I could. Yeah, I could see it.
Speaker 1: It's just a one off. It's just a solid ninety minutes of fun movie that was experience ninety minutes, though it wasn't one hundred and twenty, you know what I mean. The guy, I don't know that it was one hundred. I'll look it up later. But my point is is that we watched Normal, and I am including this flick in that pantheon of movies where it's a ninety one minute experience. Yeah, tells a very nice, self included story. Yes, you could get a sequel out of it.
Speaker 2: Technically you say original too, Because I'm watching this movie, Ben, Yeah, I'm like, am I in the right theater? Like for how it opened? Oh? Yeah, you know, I'm like, this is this is really weird now. I remember then. I was thinking back to the trailer and I'm like, okay, wait, there was something going on here with the Japanese like that that this is not, you know, because it's set obviously. Normal is set in the fictional town of Normal, Minnesota, which is a very small, po dunk, classic stereotypical Midwestern town right well on paper, on paper, that's that's that's where it's set. And then at you know, things you start to understand like, okay, this is not your average run of the mill, meat and potatoes, midwestern town. And then the Japanese I remember in the in the trailer, like the last part of the trailer, like the button on the trailer was were these Japanese business guys with the pager And I'm like, Okay, something's going on, you know what I mean, Like and I forgot about that when I was watching this nice story. Yes, super original to me. I agree that there's been nothing. I mean, I can't remember a film that was done that had that kind of twist to it.
Speaker 1: I I'm one hundred percent on board with you. And I loved their efforts at foreshadowing, like there's so much of this because you know, because you've seen the trailer, you know something's amiss in the town. And like they're just driving through the town and they're like, thanks for the eighteen point six million to build this. Yes, yeah, I'm justlexic to rebuild this.
Speaker 2: Uh, this town hall, the town really came together.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it's like and then they never bring it up again. It's just like bop there's a locker with a bunch of locks on. He's like, yeah, it's stumper moovers, like the old fashioned kind. And I'm sitting there because I'm not an outdoorsy guy. I'm like, I wonder why you got a lock stumper movers. I'm excited, like you definitely it's piqued your interest. You know you're gonna see that locker again. But they don't talk about it for an hour, and you're just like, it's just such a fun way to do a half hour where it really it lulls you into the boring small town life kind of in the movie in a way that was still but I found it engaging. I wasn't bored. I wasn't like, man, this is dragging. I was like, I can tell everybody is being vague about stuff and weird things are happening. But the main character, Bob Odenkirk aka Ulysses just kind of he's then he just goes about his business and you find out why that is.
Speaker 2: Things with a suspicious eye like court, he can tell something's amiss. The other thing too when you talk about him. Perfect character for the build up too, because you want like he's an interim sheriff number one. I didn't realize that was a thing like an interim sheriff like that. I mean, I knew if something happens to a sheriff, you obviously have to have somebody assume the position, But I didn't realize that was something you could do where he was like a quasi career interim sheriff or is this but like this is what he did. He looked for interim interim sheriff ships or whatever you call him. And the other thing, ben aren't the laws different in every little municipality. How does he know what to enforce when he's got to learn it anyway? So that to me kind of was intriguing to me, like who does this? What happened to him to cause him to want to do this? He's like sixty in this film. This is the time when you're settling in for your last little stint of your career, stint of your career, right, like you shouldn't be going out and seeking so so clearly something was going on with him. We saw some backstory, which I'm gonna ask you off air because I don't know if I completely understood everything, and I don't want to ruin. I got a little touch and go for me as well. I think I never understand like his backstory. Yeah, okay, we'll talk off there about that. But yeah, but but my whole point was like, while this was a super slow burn, at least for the first forty five minutes, that's a half hour, half hour is probably accurate. First it was super slow burn, but it was an intriguing slow burn because it was, like you said, was building up the layers of Okay, we're getting you to ask these questions and we will answer them later, which they did. Yeah, for the most part, I don't. I don't have any lingering questions really, no, not at all.
Speaker 1: And it was just done in an entertaining and engaging way. So you're watching Bob Odenkirk get driven around by and I have at least most of the cast in front of your Billy Glellan is his partner.
Speaker 2: The who I thought, you know, who I thought that was at first was oh, I can't think of his name now. He was in he plays a cowboy or like a he was in Cana irritate me because I know him from Fear of the Walking Dead. But I know you don't. Yeah, yeah, no, I'll just I'll you tell me more. I'm gonna look this guy up and I'm gonna and then you're gonna be like, oh yeah, he does kind of look like him even talk like him too.
Speaker 1: So they're they're driving around the town, they're basically going through some of the most generic officer calls you can possibly imagine. Dispute at a hardware store. One woman's knitting and she doesn't like the color of yarn.
Speaker 2: It's almost that they center, like like like and then and then owen Kirk's like, look, I can't help you, And I figured like, oh, it's because he wasn't the one who centered, But no, he couldn't tell the difference between the colors. That's why he couldn't help her.
Speaker 1: And also which also like, can I just say they highlight that he's color blind in that scene, and I was like, Oh, I wonder how that that's going to come into play later in the movie. It has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. It's just a one off line there. But like it does all these it really does a great job of world building and very quickly, especially if you're familiar with smaller town life, like I came from the city in Appleton is by no means small relative to this. I believe it was a town of eighteen hundred people, is what they end up saying. So this is extra small, especially if living listening to us anywhere here in the Fox Valley. But I think they do a really good job of painting the Midwest in a very accurate light. Like that was what I was sitting there. I was questioning myself while I was watching it because small town, yeah, because I was like, I was like, would I get as much out of this if I still lived in Pittsburgh. Like I personally have always found Fargo to be overrated. I almost want to watch it again now now that I have almost four years of Midwest living under my belt, and watch it again and see if I noticed the little idiosyncrasies this. I think like I did not expect. I didn't know what to expect from this, and I think that's why I equate it to Four Brothers. I'm like, yeah, action movie, something in town. Sure you guys want to go see that, I'll go see it. This is one of those as well. Not a cold day in hell in a world where off topic doesn't exist, am I in theaters watching this movie. It would have went right over my radar. I would have caught it later when it was on HBO or something. Oh, Bob Odenkirkson, this, let's see what that's about. And we kind of go from there. But between the trailer and the cast, there's enough pieces there. But I'm so happy I went to go see it because it's just like one of those unique pieces. I saw a little bit of a lot of movies. Like you said, it was unique, Like there were moments where I was like, oh, this reminds me of assault on Precinc thirteen. This reminds me of Fargo. This reminds me.
Speaker 2: Of this, And I was kind of running down the list. Nobody come up at all.
Speaker 1: No, the trailer made it look like nobody. He was not equipped for what was happening. This was more like John McClain's style in a situation.
Speaker 2: Hey, exactly, Yeah, because in Nobody he was like you expect, well, I mean it's back. You were surprised to learn how talented he was as far as I don't say espionage, but like you know, he was equipped and trained.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, combat, all these different knickknacks, all that.
Speaker 2: Just totally different in this film where he is not only not trained for that kind of stuff, Yeah, he's not pretty indifferent towards it quite frankly. Yes. That was the other thing too, where I think there was a line in the movie something about like why he ended up the first place. Yeah, it was because he he was very kind of las fair about his gig and being a sheriff to begin with. Yeah, okay, I want to bring this up. Garrett Dilla Hunt is who is the actor I'm talking about. He looked a lot like the deputy sheriff that was driving him around. Garrett Dilla Hunt was in No Country for Old Men. He was in the assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford. Did you see that movie? I didn't, dude. That is a great movie. He was. He played a sheriff in Winter's Bone with Bitch, Yes, totally twelve Years of Slave. He was in that one as well. He was Army of the Dead where the crawdads sing red right hand, and then he's in a bunch of other stuff. That's that's coming up. He was in an episode of X Files. Uh he did. Uh. He was on Deadwood for several seasons.
Speaker 1: I can't believe he's that guy an Army of the Dead. Not in a million years, I know exactly. Have you seen Army of the Dead on Netflix? Not in a million years. He's like the bad guy running alongside the woman. He's huge in that and he is so simple.
Speaker 2: So you have him, you see him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, do you see the similarity in the moment though?
Speaker 2: Right? So? So this, Oh that's not that guy? Okay, yes, but he does play like a lot of these, like these kind of simpleton characters. Yeah, very but he's a talented as squeaky jacket, right so so, and speaking of the cast, excuse me, excuse me? So once I realized that it wasn't him, I'm like, well, who else is in this? Now? We talked about Henry Winkler was in this. I forgot Lena Hetty is in this movie too. I didn't even know she was in Game of Thrones obviously, and she was in three hundred right, And the first thing I thought of when I'm seeing her play in this film with that accent, what happened to her career? Oh? Really? I mean, I don't understand how you go from three hundred Ben and Game of Thrones to doing this character, which, by the way, not a lot of screen time for her in this film, and it was so unlike, you know what she has played before. And it's fine if it's if you're like Nicholas Cage where you're purposefully doing this. But I'm trying to think, like, God, what else has she been in lately? Lately?
Speaker 1: Not so much but in the game. See, that's just it. Sometimes people just get lucky. She was the wife in the first Purge movie, which was like twenty twelve. She's the bad guy in Dread from I want to say also twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Did you see that one with Carl Urban.
Speaker 1: No, that's the remake right, yeah? Ooh, well you're suggesting one to me. That's one that you absolutely have to see. Okay, I watched that anytime it's on. I would file that into the Four Brothers. That was more sequel bait. But we'll never get it.
Speaker 2: But by the way, because I don't think we'll get on this topic maybe until we may not get on this the rest of this episode, we talked about doing Mortal Kombat too. Oh yeah, absolutely, did you see who the star of that movie is? Yeah? And did you see who he's playing. Yeah, that's old news. How do we get a fifty three year old Carl Urban playing John Johnny Cage. I don't know how that's gonna work anyway, you know it could work. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Well, that movie review is coming in like two ish weeks. But but all that being said, like she's had her roles, but I think a lot of times, like you have your one shots and then a lot of times you're that person. Not to say that she's not a good actress. I think she could do other things if she wanted to. I thought she did well in this movie. No one other than Bob O, Like who had more screen time her Henry Winkler. Maybe Henry Winkler buy a hair, but really not that much. And I'd say her screen time was much more monologuey, like Henry Winkler was playing off of other characters, where she would go on these long diet tribes about her past or what it's like in the town and all these things. It felt like Game of Thrones moments in some ways, the way that she went talk.
Speaker 2: At Midwestern Game of Throne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I was even sitting there because obviously Game of Thrones is We're ways removed from that at this point, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, is that Surce? Like? It is Circe Like it was like one of those kind of mind She had that line where I mean, again, not to keep harping on this, but oden Kirk asked her for a drink or yeah, do you have a drink on you? And she goes, well, what kind of a bartender would I be if I get it? And I'm like, Jesus, yeah right, Like you're not coming back from this. I mean, I don't. I don't know. You didn't think I was good? No, I mean it was. It shouldn't have been her. I just expect more from her from from an acting But.
Speaker 1: As soon as I saw her in the movie, I'm like, well, she's a bad guy, like you know what I mean, because you.
Speaker 2: Know, I didn't. I didn't get that, and I want to touch on that in a little bit, but I didn't get that at all, because okay, fine, but I would This was so out of left field from her to for me to see her playing this role that to me, all bets were off, Like Okay, maybe she's a she's a good person, she's a good guy. Maybe I don't know what to expect at this point. And quite frankly, and I don't know if we're spoiling anything here. We might be that scene in the prison with her. I still didn't know really not, I mean, like until the very end where you kind of find out where her loyalties lie. Yeah, I still didn't know at that point.
Speaker 1: Like anyway, Yeah, can you understand by the because when we did our teas for this on my show and I said it's a mix of Truman Show and and nobody like, I don't see Truman Show.
Speaker 2: Can you kind of see where I got? Okay, did I say I couldn't see Truman Show? I said, you said Truman Show. Yeah, I didn't really, and then you booted that out Fargo. I didn't. And honestly, like the first thirty minutes of it, yeah, I mean I wouldn't compare it to a Cohen Brothers movie, but it had that kind of it kind of had that setup, you know. And uh, then as I'm watching it, like that first scene at the bank, when Ulysses is going into the bank, that's the point I'm like, oh, I see what Ben's saying. Yeah, there is there's a Truman Show aspect to.
Speaker 1: This, yeah, which which I definitely appreciated it. It has a very good way of having a mystery for half the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry not to interrupt. The other one that I totally thought about when I was watching this, Yeah, Hot Fuzz from with Simon peg and Who's never Remember You're right, Yeah, you're right, Nick Frost, I think was the other name. Yeah, I'm like, dude, this is like, like I mean, we said Fargo, Truman Show and nobody, but nobody's kind and to me, Hot Fuzz I think after seeing this is probably the most the most apt comparison. Yeah, it's like Hot Fuzz without the comedy, although there was some kind there's definitely some funny parts. It will have you in a cell phone conversations with Henry Winkler. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a couple of moments that I found funny. There's a couple of emotional moments.
Speaker 2: But what was.
Speaker 1: Impressive with this movie is it's very easy to set up a mystery, it's very difficult to pay off a mystery. And this when like the big plot twist comes thirty to thirty five minutes into the film and it kind of plays out. I don't want to say, like a generic action, but you're because like there are still some fun twists as the movie goes from there, but it's much more formulaic than what you're used to, but it still feels fresh and exciting and fun, and it never stays too long. Like at one point, I thought the rest of the movie was going to be in the bank, and I was like, this is going to be like assault on Precinct thirteen. It's gonna be unlikely allies coming together against another entity that wants to take them out. And then five minutes later they're out of the bank and I'm like, oh, yeah, well, I wonder what's gonna happen here. And then you start kind of revisiting all these characters that you met at the beginning of the movie, but in an entirely different light. I'm like, oh, this is fun. And then the unlikely Allies part ways. I'm like, well wait a minute, and like so they do a fun way of keeping me every ten minutes thinking I know where we're headed for the rest of the movie, only to take me down a different path, which I definitely appreciate when you kind of pull those U turns with the last fifteen minutes being like, Oh, get the hell out of here. They're gonna pull this off. So that's a very interesting conversation in and of itself.
Speaker 2: The other two allies that you're speaking of, were you as surprised as I was. I guess you can't answer that because you don't know how surprised I was. But I was pretty surprised that how they finish their story those two.
Speaker 1: Again, I thought they were going to be more involved. I didn't think, well, I don't want to say that because I don't want to give anything away, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, I well, I don't I don't think you're giving anything away. Well, I was about to say something that I think would okay, But I was surprised to see how when the film ended, and I think back to all the characters, and I think about those two characters and like, well, that's kind of a weird way to tie off the story with those two. Yeah, you know, yeah it is. But it's one of those things sometimes, you know, we talk about you mentioned it at the top, the layering of setting you up for stuff that you should be paying attention to this because they will come up later. Yeah, And sometimes I think you need not saying that this applies, but I'm saying that it could apply in this movie or other films, that you need these red herrings where things that you you think are something but maybe aren't something, and then things that you think are just throw away things like oh wait, well that's yeah, that's a callback. Yeah, which I think if it's just all callbacks are all red herrings, that's not enjoyable.
Speaker 1: You got to have, which the color Blind one never came back, but I never talking about There is another moment about about certain decorations that comes up that absolutely is relevant later in the movie. So they kind of pulled that off there. And I will say Brendan Fletcher plays the dude of the Unlikely Allies. There's a woman, yeah, Lori and Keith Yeah, and then Rena Jolly. Brendan Fletcher. I'm sure he's done other movies that are absolute trash, but he is in the movie Rampage, which is basically like a hyper realistic shooter movie, which is a bit much.
Speaker 2: That's the Rock Are you talking about the one with the rock?
Speaker 1: No page No, No, that's like based on the video game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is like a movie that was probably has a budget of like forty seven dollars, oh okay, and like he's basically just a disgruntled early twenty something that buys a bunch of guns, puts on body armor, and does some pretty horrific things, but like if you're in the mood for that. But then he's also in Freddie Versus Jason, and he has kind of carved a niche out himself and being in these movies that you've never heard of that always end up surprising you with like how much fun you have watching them. And anytime I see that guy in a movie, I'm like, you know what, I'm at least gonna try it, because he never lets me down, and he strikes me as the type that will never be a lead and never like make it in mainstream Hollywood. But he takes the craft of acting very seriously and I love that about him, And anytime I see him in anything, I'm like, cool, let's see, let's see where this is going from here. So as soon as I saw him, I'm like, oh, this is gonna be a good movie, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You know? I okay, so obviously I never saw Rampage. Yeah, okay, Well, at least not that rampage. Yeah. By the way, there's three of them. By the way, I've seen all three. Rampage one, Rampage two. Yeah. So I have to mention this too off topic. From one of the other companies I work with, he had this tournament called the Early Rampage Tournament, and I was calling it the Early Rampage Tournament rampage over and over and over and over on purpose, Yeah, because I thought that's what it was. Oh no, okay, wait, so you weren't being funny. No, that's that's even funnier. Okay. So guy, a guy who's watching this on YouTube hits me up on x and he says, Bulky, it's rampage. It's not rampage. I'm like, this guy's full of it. And I looked it up on Merriam Webster and it didn't even have a second like what's a rampage? Like in your mind? What did you think you were saying rampage? Like like, you know, I thought rampage was the verb and rampage was the noun. And yeah, see you're laughing like like and and to me, this was like, dude, forty six years on this planet. Yeah, I always thought it was that way, so he called me out. So now anytime I see that word, it's like, uh, like one of those it all comes back to Marvel, one of those scissors that ebony Ma was putting into those points I was putting in a doctor.
Speaker 1: Sat never see that word through any other light again, Yeah, it might have changed my my reaction to the word now going forward and all.
Speaker 2: That, I don't know anybody who is on my side. Yeah, but I've been saying we've had this early rampage tournament for two years. One guy has called me out on it. Yeah, like, and this includes people I work with that.
Speaker 1: See, but you need that. I was an intensive purpose guy when I was nineteen years old and someone humiliated me in public fashion about he's like intensive purpose. Ben described to me what an intensive purpose is.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that caught me up. Uh yeah, well yeah.
Speaker 1: And so but after that, now anytime I hear it, I'm like, Okay, Drew was a bit of a jag, but I'm glad he did that to me because now I'm not thirty eight still saying it because people are too polite.
Speaker 2: The other or one of the other ones. A family guy does this with there's a like a monologue that Stewart not a monologue, but there's a piece of dialogue where Stewiet like goes off and names like seven or eight of those phrases. Yeah, and he mentions all of the sudden, which I haven't heard before, all of the sudden, Yeah, all of us sudden. I was here, but apparently some people say all of the sudden. And then the one that really got me. And this is another one, and I'll correct people to this day. A whole another whatever. Yeah, oh, a whole another No, a whole nother yeah, ano, there's not a word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a whole other person, a whole other, whole another whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a Midwestern thing. Take it for granted is another one as well. Yeah, that was like that was Take it for granted was like pre high school for me not to sound like douchey or whatever, but that one has not. I have an officer over here. Well listen correct me. Okay, I mean Jesus forty six years and I finally had somebody called me am I that big of a douche that people like to see me mispronounced stuff like that. Yeah, maybe like, oh, he's in media. Maybe we should just let it happen or something they said that. I don't know, but anyway, I don't know how we got on this. Yeah, it's what I want. I enjoy his performance in anything. You know what he looks like? And have you noticed this in commercials? I see in commercials like for laundry, detergent, beer, food, whatever, some of these casting agencies or these casting directors, I think are picking actors who look like big name actors. Have you noticed it? And and uh, and obviously that's cool because it's like, hey, Brad Pitt's advertising for this, but really it's it's just Michael Sherlock. But he looks happening to have this resemblance to Brad Pitt. This guy and I couldn't place it, but he looks like a bigger named actor. He looks like maybe it's a conglomerate of like actors who look like they've done bigger things before. So I'm watching this and and I'm like, God, that guy has to have been into something I've seen before. And I went and I looked at him, like nothing's really standing out, and so I'm thinking, like, he just looks like a guy who is like a bigger, like a more of an A list actor or whatever. Yeah, so we both have different interpretations what kind of work this guy does, but I think yours is probably closer to in reality.
Speaker 1: And I do maintain he's definitely not a lists like, he's not at all. It's just but you can tell he tries, and I'm all four people, I'd rather watch him try and not be as good as like an Anthony Hopkins who's clearly mailing it in, you know what I mean, Like i'd take that in the day of the week. And you've got to have these hungry actors. We exactly And while we're talking about mailing it in. And it pains me to say this, but I'm gonna I'm gonna preface it. I love Henry Winkler in Barry. I think he deserved all the accolades that he got.
Speaker 2: Did you ever win an Emmy for that? He did?
Speaker 1: It was his first Emmy ever. It was a big deal. Wow, Like he was he was very emotional. I've heard he's a very nice guy in real life. Like I really do like Henry Winkler in anything I see him, and he really does just play the same character.
Speaker 2: The bronze fawn statue. I have not got to do that good to know it's I don't, don't ask me worry. I think it's in the Old third Ward district. But it's literally a statue of Arthur Fonzarelli from Happiness of Course, and it's bronzed and he's just doing the thumbs up.
Speaker 1: What else would he be doing, I'll do jumping a shark maybe good one. Yeah, I'm a bridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they screwed up, so yeah, he But I'm just gonna say it, like it just felt like he was playing himself as a mayor, like as a corrupt mayor.
Speaker 2: Essentially, was he corrupt? Yeah, yeah, he was corrupt. Yeah. I don't know. I don't I don't know if I especially coming from you, I'm surprised that.
Speaker 1: Well, Okay, let me say this because this is actually and I meant to do a monologue about this on my show today and I forgot, which means I'll just do it tomorrow. But but like, there are towns, without giving too much away here, there are towns in western PA, like New Kensington is one that I'm sure you have never heard of.
Speaker 2: No Old Kensington though in the fifties.
Speaker 1: In the fifties and sixties, it was a town that paralleled Pittsburgh like they were growing handed and what was propping New Kensington up was mob money. And then eventually the mob got busted and New Kensington is now a place that you don't want to go and there's not a lot of opportunity for growth there and things like that are going on in New Kensington. Crime ridden, Yeah, it's crime ridden. It's just there's no more money that's being invested in it as opposed to a town that gets sixteen point eight million to pump into a new town hall. And it really shows me, like I think there's very large kernels of truth, not necessarily to this specific story in the way that it's crash, Yeah, but the same principles of a lot of these towns, a lot of the ones that end up dying, because that's one of the major themes is small towns trying to find relevance and staying afloat in a country where it's becoming more and more difficult to do that. Once the one major industry closes down, a lot of the towns that size that do find themselves propped up often are doing so through questionable means, and as those means, if you hold up a newspaper that says mob busted at New Kensington, clean Streets going forward, that's a victory in the eyes of a lot of people. And then since then it's been a downward trajectory ever since, and they kind of play with that theme quite a bit. So I say on that to say, maybe corrupt not the not the correct word, but it's corrupt on paper at the very least. If you show a newspaper what was that, you'd be like, Oh, that guy's gotta go.
Speaker 2: But if you saw the aftermath from the decision, be like, wow, well there, I mean, there's criminal activity that's inarguable. Yeah, okay, But at the same time we have to consider and and maybe I thought this would be a bigger issue with you the morals that go behind the decision, and you know, it goes back to not And for anybody listening, I'm not saying this is what happens in the movie. This is just the first analogy that pops up. Where you're in your college ethics class or high school ethics class or whatever it is, it is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread? To feed your starving family, right, And so I think that's that's sort of like the question people would ask in a similar situation, that it's not all. Now, I have this guy I work with commit his real name is Bryce. We call him binary Bryce because it's either this or it's that. There's no spectrum that exists. Oh, I thought he was confused about his no no, no, no no. It is either the best thing in the world or the worst thing in the world, and there is nothing in between. Sure, there's nothing in me. And so I think with when you bring ethics into this, there there's like you don't know, and quite frankly me a person who is a weak man who I've I don't know if I've said this on this podcast, I say it on my fantasy football stuff all the time. I'm a weak man. I change my mind on stuff like this all the time, from day to day, you know. And I don't Again, the decisions that certain characters had to make in this movie, I'm sure we're not easy ones, you know. And and so now, when when it came to be the execution of the result of those decisions, I'm with you, it got pretty heavy handed, and it got not heavy handed, but it got it got pretty I don't know. Maybe that's why you didn't have as big of an issue with it, because a lot of the people in this film turned out to be not great people. Yeah, and then it got very cartoonish at the end, which we'll talk about. But my whole thing was, I guess maybe perhaps I was lingering on that idea a little bit more than you did, and maybe more so than the filmmakers wanted you to.
Speaker 1: And also more so just like the whole reason why Bob Odenkirk has to come like eventually lines are crossed even off camera that it's like, Okay, maybe you had the right intentions, maybe you had these ultimate goals, but you obviously allowed it to go to a point because in a town of eighteen hundred people, you're never going to get eighteen hundred people on board.
Speaker 2: That you can get pretty close.
Speaker 1: You got pretty close, but you're never gonna get all eighteen hundred people.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing, too, is like with some of the people who are good, some of the people who are bad. I think somebody said one of the characters said, oh, we still have some stragglers or something like that. MM hmm. When it came to people getting on board or whatever, and I'm like, oh, I under who have we met some of these stragglers already? Okay, where was I going to go with this next point? Oden Kirk's character, I think, ulysses, this is a story about him. This is not a story about the town. This is this is a part of his life, and it's a part of what made him who he was. I am surprised, given what had happened, at least to the level I understand it in his career as a sheriff. I was surprised, mildly surprised that this was the thing that sort of turned him into John McClain, normal's John McClain. I thought that was that was weird to me, that like, oh, okay, so this is what's what's going to get him activated. I don't know. I thought that was a little bizarre that he was fight or flight. I feel like, yeah, but he had his character had always chosen basically almost always chosen I guess flight. Oh yeah, he was not a fighter, And to me this was kind of a weird thing.
Speaker 1: To but I mean, really think about it, Like the the inciting incident was him walking into the You know, is that in the trailer, the part that yeah, okay, when he's walking into the bank robbery to try and negotiate a pretty tense deal where they're nervous about hostages. Think about what's happening while he walks into that building, Like when that is what's happening. I feel like at that point, most people, like, don't get me wrong, my flight instinct kicks in. If I'm in like a saw trap, I'm like, you know, what just killed me. I'm not digging my eye out with a scalpel. But in this situation, I'm like, Okay, it's either that or me. Let's see what happens here and we'll go from there. Like I think any normal person, I think he needed that kind of money.
Speaker 2: Think about the odds. Oh yeah, I mean, and like I guess flight was not really an option here. Yeah, it would have been, well, it was, actually it was. It was offered to him by Henry Winkler pretty early on in the plot. But he didn't know, but he didn't know the level of what was going on with normal at that point.
Speaker 1: No, but he said to him, He's like, I can't get out of here live He's like, well, you could if you just do this, and he was like, oh, well, I'm not going to do that. That's true, And so assuming you trust that that would be the case, and I think it would be because I think Dead Cops is a pretty hard thing to and they would have explained it away, but it's a hard thing to explain away.
Speaker 2: You'd rather not have to deal with that there. Speaking of explaining it away, what did you make of the plan that was concocted towards the end of this film. Yeah, we've been using the term cartoonish quite a bit. I'll be real.
Speaker 1: I like, I want to say what it reminds me of, but I feel like that would give away what.
Speaker 2: Happened is cartoonish. Then don't say it is cartoonish, not apt.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is. But in the right hands, I think it could have been done well. Like was the ending to Django unchained cartoonish? I don't think so. Like, I don't look at that as a cartoonish ending, and I'd argue it's just.
Speaker 2: Like that was that was that was to me? That was. That was a little bit different though, because you're talking about literally a slave who had obviously literally a slave, but a slave who had literally nothing right. And this was all about redemption, revenge. That's what the whole thing was about. And so you see this and Django Unchained is an epic epic film, right, and this is kind of.
Speaker 1: But I'd argue that even makes the ending to that movie stand out even more than it does.
Speaker 2: Again, well it should this. Oh hold on, hold on, I'm saying the ending to Django Unchained had to be super epic, Okay, like like you can't have a soft ending to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this film right here, Yeah, I don't want to define it as a slow burn, but it definitely it's not like it's a ton of action, but like it has its moments.
Speaker 2: But for this, yeah, yeah I thought it was. There was a ton dude. The last Yeah, the last half. No, I would even say more than that. Yeah, I would say at least fifty minutes. Yeah. Again, I don't again I want to sound like I'm saying it was boring at all. It apps wasn't. But the first thirty minutes was like there was a lot of expositions. Yeah, right, and maybe necessary, maybe not, but it didn't stick. And I and I think that's because we we've talked about this before. What was the movie It's Caught Stealing, Yeah, I think it was Caught Stealing. Yeah. And we brought this up with a couple of films where it seems like it's got all the makings right and and then you like, your appetizer's good, the salad's good, the drinks are great, and you get to the main course and there's just god, this should have been so much better if you put all the effort into the into the preamble of this film and of this, of this fictional meal I'm talking about. You got to be able to get the entree right. And to me or the dessert, I guess as it were, to me like this felt like a little rushed right. It felt like there there should have been a little bit more. Now. I don't know what you know, shooting was like and maybe you know, they only had so much time and the budget they ran out of, but I don't know, but it just seemed like this was a little hand to gottish to like, Okay, here's what we're gonna do. And and I'm like, you know, kind of like looking around, like really this is the solution here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't agree with you more and what sticks out most.
Speaker 3: And in my opinion, I'm like, I don't know if I want to say dumbest, but like I really do, like I don't understand why it was in the movie what part when they place a bet on whether or not the plan will work, he's.
Speaker 1: Like you a betting man, He's like I am. He's like, well, I'll bet the lay one hundred bucks, meaning I think the plan will fail. And at the end of the movies like, I owe you a hundred bucks, and there's no why was any of that.
Speaker 2: Movie that was just cheeky and fun. I don't think I wouldn't read too much into it, but like to bring it back to Marvel, when Samuel L.
Speaker 1: Jackson says to Steve Rogers in the First Avengers, I'll bet you ten bucks I can show you something you haven't seen, and then like forty minutes later, the ship turns into an aircraft and he just like discreetly hands him a ten dollars bill and they really don't mention anything else about it. That's how you pull that off. Like this was such a heavy handed like I will bet you money that this will happen. Oh well, I will accept that bet that this happens, and then the plan goes away. It goes He's like, oh, you owe me money for this plan. I mean it's same thing. No, it's the dumbest. It was so stupid.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was like, that was dumb. I don't know why this is in the movie. I thought that was funny. I don't think the difference it stuck out to me between the example that you gave him what happens in this movie. I don't think the difference is that this deep yawning chasm that you're thinking.
Speaker 2: It is exactly as yawning as it is.
Speaker 1: It's about to send me on a rampage. I can't I I like, I can't wait till someone else sees the movie. Somebody please back me up on this because it just sticks out. It's just like to bring it back to cot stealing. It reminds me of somebody thinking they're being clever. It reminds me of a stupid person's idea of being clever. Okay, but I'm like this, I don't know why this is in the movie. Like, there was no man betting beforehand. It's not like this is playing off as something that happened earlier in the movie, because the whole bet. If they would have placed the bet thirty minutes into the movie and then paid it off ninety minutes in, I'd be like, Okay, that's a fun thing. They placed the bet ten minutes before the bet was paid off, and I was like, what was the point of any of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a stupid well I mean okay, So for you, it's the time, the running time that between said bet, right.
Speaker 1: Just like it, because like the bets placed in Avengers, when he's punching the bag, yeah, that's the first thing you see him in, and then you meet all the other Avengers. There's enough time for you to forget that a bet even happened. And then it turns into a plane and he doesn't even say anything. He walks up sides a ten dollars bet, Fury looks at it like, nods his head, and then they keep talking.
Speaker 2: They don't even mention it. That's how that's that's rewarding really active viewers. Right, So here's here's what your problem is. You are a filetman, young connoisseur, and you're looking down on the people that can enjoy a good cheeseburger bun. That's what it is. That's not even a cheeseburger. That's like you freaking scraped some I don't even know how it's not. It's not it's not. You may I understand why you don't like it. To me, it wasn't that big of a deal. But we didn't make me hate it. It made me stink of like why did any of that happen? Yeah, that was that was completely It's not like you dragged on. It's like thirty seconds total of screen time. Like even the pie scene, it's like, oh, I got to try those pies.
Speaker 1: That ah, that was better. Yeah, because then he's like, I'm gonna eat that pie now. Like they don't really draw attention to it. They just show me in the pies.
Speaker 2: Like you're you're wow. I don't want to ruin it now. Yeah, but that was one thing when when that was sort of the seed was planted in my mind. I feel like like, ever since we started doing this show, I need to have like a notepad yeah and say that for weeks and write down things that I think are going to be meaningful later on and see how many of them actually and and you know, kind of at a certain point, Ben, I don't want to keep track because I like forgetting them and then remember that in the moment, oh suther Than like, well they haven't brought up this color blind thing yet. You know. It's so I don't know. I don't want to. We kind of knew we were getting going into this, did Yeah. I mean the level of quality I should say, okay, yeah, the level of quality storyline, I didn't know what we were getting, yeah, but the level of quality I had certain expectations. Yeah, So to see some of this stuff. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much, because it's like, yeah, whatever, and it's do we know who the director was? Did you have that up? No? Hold on one second, Yeah, And I did not. Normally I pay attention to this kind of stuff, and for whatever reason I didn't on this film. I don't know if this guy Ben Wheatley Wheatly, what is it? What else is he done?
Speaker 1: Let's see here and wh there we go? English? She's an English filmmaker. Maybe that's why it felt weird. High Rise with Tom Hiddleston. The Meg two, which I've never actually gotten the whole way through. Meg one was good though, movie called hill List that looks like I should probably see it just based on the cover, and then a bunch of crap we've definitely never heard of Sightseers a field in England, something called free Fire in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: How old is he? But but bu fifty three?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, he looks like he has about a dozen or so titles to his name and really nothing outside of Meg going Blockbusters something called Rebecca.
Speaker 2: Hold on, did he do Meg and Meg too? Nope?
Speaker 1: Just Meg two, which I found to be uh sucky compared to the first.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean that's I'm trying to think. Is that the resort one? Yeah? Yeah, it's cool. End Yeah, I just like it. When you take it to the next level, that's great stuff. Did you see?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've gotten to the ending. If I'm gonna be honest, I think I just get distracted. I'm like, all right, I'm checked out at this at this point because like one of my biggest fears in life, like in the first Meg, when the when the freakin' what do you call that? The giant squid just like drapes a tentacle over like that is like, if you like tried to pluck some of my greatest fears, like love crafty and horror is the horror that cuts to my soul, and like when that happens, I'm like, like the idea of riding in a tiny submarine and a part of the ocean that no one's ever been to is absolutely the worst conceivable place.
Speaker 2: Especially what was the thing where the people just died. Oh yeah that was a while ago, but well then yeah not just.
Speaker 1: But like yeah, years bionaires to the submarine and it just impressed. It'll never convince me that wasn't sabotage. But anyway, what the hell is sabotage? Like like some the dude was a multi billionaire and they have like some ready or not two style hyjiinks going on behind the scenes, you know what i mean. Like I'm sure they're like, oh I heard he's going in a submarine. This is our perfect time to make it look like an accident, you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 2: To take over the fortune or whatever whenever, Yeah, out of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's competition over the other. Like it's just a suspicious way to die, That's all I'm saying. This is why you just shouldn't be going to the bottom of the ocean anyway.
Speaker 2: You call it a suspicious way to die? Yeah, I call it six people going in a very tiny submersible that already had issues with it. Apparently we phoned out later, right, I'm sure going to the bottom of the ocean, you call it suspicious way to die? I say death wish. I mean, you are you're kind of asking for you know, I.
Speaker 1: Got Isn't that James Cameron has like a bit of a heart on for her, you know, wanting to die at the bottom of the ocean apparently because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did the abyss he did.
Speaker 1: He searched the remains of the Titan himself. Then he turned that into a film too, I believe.
Speaker 2: And I never saw the second event or not Avengers Avatar.
Speaker 1: Which we successfully avoided the third one as well for the purpose And by the way.
Speaker 2: Like do you hear all these people to clamoring like right now, like, oh my god Avatar III? Yeah, no, no one's saying that. No. Have you have you seen it? Yeah? I mean I told you my experience of the first one. Yeah, I just was falling asleep. I didn't care for it. I never really wanted to watch the second one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but in any event, so I already forgot the guy's name, Ben Wheatley. I would argue this was his best movie. Have you never seen you know, eighty percent of his filmography. I would argue he was.
Speaker 2: He ever nominated for any like British Directing Awards or anything, for anything? Not because I mean some of these could be like, you know, critically acclaimed it across the pond, and then you know they just never.
Speaker 1: So, to be fair to your point, under notable work, kill List, sightseers, a field in England, high Rise free Fire in the Meg are listed for notable work. So so he did do the Meg two? Oh sorry, the Meg two? Want to be clear?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, kill list intrigues me, Like that's the only one that I'm interested in doing. Any I liked it a lot. I don't know too much about it except that it that this sub kept recommending mixes Folkhore and marriage drama.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm out you like the roses? I did? Yeah, I did, but that was more for comedic purposes, That's sure. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Although I like together If you didn't see that with Dave Franco and Alison Brie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have seen clips. Yeah, I know what happens. Yeah, I knew that this was not going to be a pleasant watch. Yeah, so I decided that I would just find out what happened in it. Well you do that for every movie, not every movie the movie there, I've never done it with a Marvel movie. Okay, Well, yeah that's right. I mean, if I know I'm going to see it, ain't no way. I mean like I'm avoiding the internet period, you know. But no, so that together movie. So they're they're married in real life? Oh really, Yeah, Alison Brie and Dave Franco are real life husband and wife. They got sued. I think I told you this. They got sued, oh for stealing the blog, for stealing the plot. Yeah, bastards. Yeah, I don't know what the result of that lossuit was. I'm sure they paid that guy off. And then I think a Dave Franco in twenty one Jump Street, right, sure, and super Bad. Not that he was in super Bad a ton but I and the Magic movies. Then now you see me. You know, I don't want to see him in a horror movie, much less with Alison Brie. One of the darlings of community. Yeah, and who is the Macy's holiday spokesperson, But like, I don't want to see that ye where they're like, weird stuff is happening. I'm sure you loved it. It is not my cup of tea. Now, if you would have suggested it, yeah, we would have watched it. But but that.
Speaker 1: Was Yeah, I think I watched it during the tenure of this show, and I was just like, I'm not going to bring this one because you make some concessions for me.
Speaker 2: There was another there was another film that actually came out right around that same time, and I think you saw it too, The Substance. No, it wasn't the Substance, but it was another film that had something to do. It was like a horror. I wouldn't say romance. It was something of the same ilk where it was like these two partners that were having issues and bad stuff started happening to them, but not what it was happening. Yeah, sure, and together, but there was something and I can't remember what it was besides the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, in any event, so I think we kind of took a shot on this director and again, like again, I don't want it to sound like the ending was sloppy. There's moments this is your run of the mill average. I compared it to the style of Four Brothers and that it's a random action movie you expect nothing from and when those pleasantly surprise you, in my opinion, it hits harder. You mentioned it as well during the tease, you're like, with no expectations. That's oftentimes when you're just like, oh, I actually enjoyed that. And I think that really plays into the hands, like we almost might be doing it a disservice, but being like, actually, there there's a lot to like in this movie, because you know, we went into like this could absolutely suck the.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering, I'm thinking out loud here, and we've talked about sloppy endings in the past, Ben, is this an US problem where where we watch something, we view something and we're expecting certain things or or hoping for certain things, and when something falls not necessarily flat, but falls differently than what we had hoped for. Is that the fault of the filmmaker is that the fault of us.
Speaker 1: I think ending things is very difficult. It's what makes stuff like Breaking Bad so awesome. Is that you're like, Wow, I don't know that a perfect ending could exist, and here we are, and like so, so I just think this is a matter of you've written yourself into this situation.
Speaker 2: How can you get out of it?
Speaker 1: And then I think this falls more into the vein of Game of Thrones because you don't. I think the worst thing you can be in filmmaking is predictable, and with so much media out there today, it's just like, Okay, we've seen bank heist movies, We've seen you know, violence movies, and so many different ways. How can we take this in a direction that you definitely haven't seen done before in a movie, And.
Speaker 2: That was what they tried to do here. That's a good point, and you take a risk.
Speaker 1: Doing that though, because like sometimes you take there's a reason why things are cliche because they work. But like at the same time, when you're critical of something, I don't want the cliches. I say, take your shot, and I will always commend. That's why I'm being so nice to this movie. I will commend taking a shot and missing versus playing it safe and being boring. That's what I absolutely That's why I watched the horror movies with one hundred dollars budgets, because like, you know what, maybe I'll see something here that I've never seen before, Whereas you know, you watch your fourth Conjuring movie, You're like, I know what I'm getting out of this. And so because it works people, Yeah, it makes a billion freaking dollars every time it comes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think another issue I had with the ending I was channeling Kill Bill Volume one, sure how that ended, Yeah, And I thought there was going to be more of, not a tribute to that, but I thought there was gonna be more similarities to that where rather than just kind of what it devolved to at the end. But again, I think that's a me problem because I was hoping that I would see something that I had enjoyed before, and perhaps if I would have seen it in the same way, I wouldn't have been enjoyed it as much, Right, And being different sometimes requires The thing I get hung up on is being different shouldn't mean being sloppy, you know. Yeah, And maybe I'm just expecting too much of everybody who makes a film nowadays, but I was a little bit disappointed.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean it doesn't reach the depths like the worst ending of the existence of off topic was the ending to him like I've never Oh my god, I was just so mad when I was walking out of that theater because I expected so much out of that movie. It looked like I was and I thought there were some cool components. This doesn't reach that level. It's just slapstick in a movie that Buying Large does have its slapstick moments, for sure, But that was the first time that it really felt full blown, just like okay, like I'm here for it. It actually was reminiscent of Ready or Not in a lot of ways. It's just like, yeah, that's true. That's a good point too. There's movies that treat death with a little more I don't want to say respect, because you don't have to do it that way. It's just like you kind of have to commit to one or the other. And this one felt like it wanted to have its cake and eat it too. Yeah, And I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then they shoehorn in.
Speaker 1: I wanted to save this till the end because I didn't want people to shut off the podcast as soon as you say this, but they definitely shoot like shoehorned in, like a gender identity message in there in that the second half of the movie as well, and I'm just like, what does any of.
Speaker 2: This have to do? Hold on? What was the gender identity?
Speaker 1: Like the daughter of the four the share is like I self identified as non binary. They don't say it in as many words, but like she very clearly was in the middle of transitioning and they even at one point say, well, this is the new normal.
Speaker 2: See, this is this is the I didn't even pick up on that. I think that was on purpose.
Speaker 1: And I'm sitting there and I'm just like, man, like, I don't know why any of this has to be in here it all and they just kind of leaned into it.
Speaker 2: Obviously it didn't resonate with you. I promised you, Yeah, I promise was there. I was okay, I mean I wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker 1: And then so like then I'm sitting there and I'm like, so what does this ending have to do with?
Speaker 2: Like what are they trying to tell me with this ending? And I just can't figure it out. My mom My mom has said this about certain things that she watches now compared to forty years ago, even twenty years ago, where different things are shoehorned in for seemingly no. Yeah, like I'm fine like putting stuff in. Yeah, yeah, it just felt like extra. Yeah, so and I don't know, maybe maybe that's something. Hey, if you want this film made, you have to put this in.
Speaker 1: Now that I think about it, I think I figured out why you were confused about the part you want to talk to me about off the air, So we'll get into that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I don't think it's what you think it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe all right, but I mean I've said about all I have to say about h Yeah, we can. I've been going back and forth even while talking to you. I was prepared to go as high as seven and a half and prepared to drop as low as six. And I think at the end of the day, I'll just split the diff and go six point five. That's not the difference, well, because it's important to be six point seven six, six point seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, halfway between six and seven a half. Yeah, I was gonna give it a seven. So I'm glad that you went a little bit lower me because I think I did. Yeah. Then, because I think I enjoyed this a little bit. Yeah, I think we both like this was fun. Yes, exactly, it's your favorite kind of movie. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It was a pleasant surprise for something that I wouldn't expect him. By the way, like I include Precinct thirteen on them as well, even though that's a classic. But like I'm just like, ah, it's just it's just it's fun. I'm like, oh, I'm engaged right until until the end. Unfortunately for this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely. It really it really sucks you in with the questions you start asking yourself and and then obviously when the twist happens, and then the resolution and the final part of the story. It had all the elements.
Speaker 1: Well like let's be real, uh, Mark Wahlberg emerging in the bright whiteness on the on the Frozen Lake at the end of Four Brothers that he knocks out Victor Sweet and he goes put him in the hole, Like that's stupid, and I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. That's my point is, like, you know, when when Victor Sweet's like, oh, who's gonna take me on? Who's in it? We all know it was all about the entrance. This is like a I've been watching a lot of pro wrestlings lately. It was all about the entrance. It's all about the pomp and the circumstance of him, but objectively cartoonish. Yeah, but we love it, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And so like it's a fine line, I guess, is my point. And this one just went too far the other way. And and to me, that's why I love these kind of movies. It's just just like, oh, and we'll never see normal too, We'll never see three Brothers?
Speaker 2: Did you hear? By the way of this? I read this John Malkovich, and I can't remember who the director was. They shot a movie called one hundred Years. They shot it in Oh yeah, it's in a time capsule, who whatever, and it's not gonna be released till twenty one to fifteen. Yeah, we'll never see that, right. Does that irritate you as much as it irritates me? Yeah? No, a whole for one hundred years from now, and they're gonna have no respect for it or not one hundred years now, we're like ninety years away. Ah well, I don't know about that. Maybe I do. People, you've seen how society is devolving. Nobody's gonna care about a John Malkovich, whoever the director it's a well known director too. By the way, I guess i'd like you.
Speaker 1: You'd have to struggle to get me to watch a movie, just a regular movie.
Speaker 2: From nineteen twenty six. That's definitely you can't compare the two because because filmmaking is is so different.
Speaker 1: Now do you hear how you sound? You're telling me in a hundred years. Marvel just fired their entire special effects crew and they said, yeah, Doomsday is gonna have a ton of AI special effects. Yeah, And like you're telling me they're not gonna, did you can? I actually I'm segueing now, Yeah, Marvel fired like that. This is what sucks is I'm very good at ignoring major companies, like I don't buy stuff off Amazon. Like my one weakness is Disney, and I love this Marvel stuff. They fired Disney in twenty twenty five made thirty five billion dollars in profit. They fired one thousand people off of their spec effects crew, including Andy Park, who has been included in every single Marvel movie, creating essentially the visual identity of the MCU from twenty ten until twenty sixteen, over thirty movies, a dozen or so TV shows. Andy Park's names on every single one of them, and they fired him last week and that just sucks. That just sucks because he's an important part of it, all of the process. They want to start using AI, They're going to have freelance video special effects people. They no longer have a dedicated team, laid off a thousand people. Obviously they all matter, but this guy really created some of the best things in my opinion like that, like in terms of movies that I enjoy seeing and the idea that nowhere in the Guardians of the Galaxy might not look the way that it does were he not there giving his insight into what it is and they just cast him aside. I hope DC picked him up already because I hope he gets back in the industry.
Speaker 2: James Gunn probably has a lot of relationships I would imagine from I would have to think so and so.
Speaker 1: But like that kind of you kind of segue me there saying that things won't change a bunch in one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Oh they will, but that's even going to prove my point more like like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the people won't care. I kind of see what you're getting from there, but I'm pissed about it.
Speaker 2: There was so this. Watching this film, it got me like it's springboard me. I was, I was no Roofman. I was thinking about Roofman. And I was googling unsolved crime cases or whatever, just to like, you know, like you know, because you secretly kind of yeah, you want to secretly root for these people to get away with it. So I'm reading all this stuff and then I read something and I one thing led to another, and I was started falling in the rabbit hole of the Thomas Crown affair. Remember this film from this is almost thirty years old now. Pierce Brosnan renee Russo, I don't think I saw it. Pierce Brosnan's an art thief. Oh sure, yeah, okay, and this is a remake of Steve McQueen and I want to say, fade done away from like the fifties or sixties or whatever. And so I was I read I was reading the Wikipeda. Obviously I never saw the McQueen one. I was reading the Wikipedia on it, and I'm like, God, this sounds cool, but I guarantee if I watched it, I'm yeah, it's gonna suck you like, because I'm spoiled by modern filmmaking. You know, and and there's now there's a lot of stuff too, Like I'll go back my my dad raised me and my brother's on the Marx Brothers, Like we watched all the I thought they're hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, you know, and I was pleasantly surprised one of those channels, TMC or something did basically for an entire month just whenever you turned it on it was a Hitchcock movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's another that's classic. Yeah, that's great stuff.
Speaker 1: And not even the stuff you've heard of, Like there was a movie called Rope Rope that's it's so good and the way they shot it, they make it look like one continuous take. Yeah, and like it's very cool. And I was just like, I can't believe this is from nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 2: It was very cool to work geniuses in every generation. Yeah, it's always gonna be outliars, but yeah, by and large.
Speaker 1: Have I told you the Eric Clifton quote. No, they ask him, they say what it's like, what is it like? Because you know, he's obviously one of the greats in terms of guitar playing. They say, how do you feel looking at music today compared to what music was like? When you were making it and how far it's fallen and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 1: Well, music, He's like, here's the thing. Music today. Ninety eight percent of it is crap and two percent of it is good. He says, when I was making music, ninety eight percent of it was crap and two percent of it was good. You just remember the good part.
Speaker 2: YEP, that's a great point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: South Park played into that because they did a Stranger Thing spoof. They're like, oh, and we get to listen to eighties music and they played the worst eighties music you've ever heard, because you only think of the bangers from the eighties and they play a lot.
Speaker 2: They're like, what is this? But like this, did you see the trailer? I don't even know if it does. It come out tomorrow. Of the Tales from eighty five no netflicks. So it's an animated thing, and it's set between I think seasons one and seasons two of Stranger Things, so it's all all the normal characters, but everything's animated. My son made me watch it, lest Oh doesn't this look great? I wish it was an an animated I'm like, yeah, no kidding. I wish they could freeze these actors in time to keep them the same edge and just keep making more stranger things. That's not the way it works. But it looked it had a very AI developed five more years. It had a very what if vibe? Oh cool? Yeah, so we'll see what. I have to keep an eye out there, all right, uh next week? Yeah, okay, So there's two options here. Sure I gotta remember, make sure. Oh yeah, I remember. We have the Michael Jackson biopic. Sure is it biopic or biopic? Oh, don't even get me started. I honestly I use them interchangeably. We have not accurate, but I know one way is right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, biopic feels right, but it's also a bio picture. So I like, that's why I go back and forth on I don't know. The dude who created gifts says it's pronounced jiff.
Speaker 2: I still pronounce it jiff because that's what he.
Speaker 1: Said, right, But if I gave you a gift, you will be like, no, you didn't, you gave me a gift.
Speaker 2: That dude didn't invent jiffs.
Speaker 1: He invented jiffs anyway. So it's getting review bombed by the way. Apparently people are upset about how it kind of it doesn't really address uh, the end of his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I okay, I guess it does take us through. It's not like a Johnny Cash where it's like one part of his life or what have you. Okay, So there's.
Speaker 1: That, and if we actually watched that, we might have to go down a rabbit hole where I think he was framed.
Speaker 2: But anyway, go ahead, Yeah, do you think he was framed for? I don't think. I don't even get me going, man, I'm gonna get you going. I just answer this question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was, he acted in I don't know that he was ever found guilty. So as of right now, it's all just accusations as to what ended up happening.
Speaker 2: Okay. O. J. Simpson was found not guilty, Yeah, of murdering Nicole Brown Simpson. I know, I know. I think that's not an appropriate comparison. Why is it not appropriate? They're both innocent or they're both not guilty, right.
Speaker 1: I'm just more skeptical about one than the other, is all I'm saying. I'm like, m, this feels like character assassination. The further along ago.
Speaker 2: The King of Pop. Yeah, all right, So that's why it's getting bombed as well. I'm just saying, all right, yeah, I know it's a sensitive issue for a lot of people. Still, yeah, Okay, So there's that one and then there's the other one I mentioned, which I think intrigued you over My Dead Body Yeah with Jason Siegel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one appeals to me more because I've never been a big bye because like Landon Moore are a news Zanchory never had seen any movie. Like I'd be like, oh, clever girl. He's like, what the hell is that? And I'm like Jurassic Park. He's like, I've never seen it, Like Landing get a freaking VCR man. But but uh, he's like, oh do you see Like he never talks me about movies. He's like, did you see the Michael Jackson movies coming out? And just like I'm really not into biopics. I think I said biopics and uh and I was, and I was like, but I might be seeing it for the podcast, in which case.
Speaker 2: The other thing too, is like you had you had walk the line Joaquin Phoenix Academy Award winner, Sure, the one with Queen Bohemian Raps. Yeah, Rammy Mallick Academy Award winner, even the Elton John one with was an Angle or whatever his name is from The Watchman. No he's not. He was from Elk Kingsman whatever, that's what I meant, Kingsman, Yes, yeah. And then you had Elvis with the guy I can never he was from Once upon a time in Hollywood. I can't think of what his name is now, the guy who played Elvis in that film Academy Award winner. This, this guy playing Michael Jackson is like Michael Jackson's nephew or something like, I don't even know if he's like, well, he looks so much like him, that's yeah, yeah, which you would have Butler Butler, yeah, yeah. So so this guy and I think he is an actor, like it's not like they just got him. But his chops are are his and I should say his chops. His reputation is history to me is sketchy at best. Yeah, so to put this on him, but maybe it was destined to fail, I don't know who knows.
Speaker 1: And again, the audiences are loving it, critics are are bashing it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so critics are who's review bombing it? Then that critics okay, Then then this is just a case of them having an axe to grind about. Uh, upset with the ending, clearly well, upset with the non I mean, you don't even have to say the ending. Upset with with stuff that was not included in the story such I guess kind of is the ending. You're right. But if critics, if audiences love it, yeah, maybe it is good. I don't. Yeah, we don't have to do it. We don't.
Speaker 1: Inherently, it's much more just like essentially a rundown of his greatest hits instead of like actually being a narrative.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see that.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the way that it's being described. But a lot of people love the music, Like I could be talked to you.
Speaker 2: I love the music too, but I don't want to go see a musical. Yeah, make there are Michael Jackson musicals you can see absolutely. I'm not.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's do over my dead body. Yeah that that feels exciting anyway in that premis I think that's going to be more fun to talk about.
Speaker 2: I agree. I agree, because then yeah, no rabbit holes for me. I don't want to be like, oh, remember when when Jaffar Jackson or whatever, Remember when he did that thriller dance. Yeah, that was Yeah. Nobody wants to hear it. We don't want to talk about Yeah. Perfect.
Speaker 1: Then we got we got our solution to that, and we'll jump into that with you guys next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.