Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast, Monster House.
Speaker 2: Presents Monster Talks, a proud member of the Airwave Media Podcast Network, home of such shows as the Daily Meditation podcast. I Know what scares you and when things go wrong. If you'd like to advertise on the show, contact sales at advertisedcast dot com. I find burial practices fascinating. If you haven't traveled the world or haven't read about them, you might be tempted to think that they're all about the same, but no. From vaults and mausoleums to urns, to sky burials to tombs, the number of ways in which humans have chosen to preserve the memory of the dead as a phnopoly of approaches, sometimes focused on remembering the individual is a departed loved one. In other times and places, on preservation of the corpse is almost a half deity to be supplicated. Some cultures have duties that are due the dead, and some religions hold that the dead are just empty containers and less important than the souls that once inhabited them. But there is an almost universal cultural fear around the places where we store the remains of our dead. You are listening to Monster talk the Science show about monsters, which I'm betting means you're not one of the normal ones. I bet a good chunk of our listeners, like your hosts, not only aren't afraid of graveyards, but find them fascinating places to visit by day and by night. Some cemeteries, like Highgate in London are pair loches in Paris are shaded cities of the dead, with their own streets and a distinct atmosphere of decaying beauty. These places have as many stories as they have bones. But sometimes in our travels we find small, neglected cemeteries with rusted gates and tall weeds where flowers might adorn a more frequently visited plot, and these places also collect stories and Out on the high plains of Colorado, one such place as Silver Cliff Cemetery. Now they say that people have been seeing ghost lights there since the silver rush of the eighteen eighties. They say, even on a cloudy night, you could see the blue flames hopping around between the old monuments. It's too good of a story to not have a look, right. Well, my co host Karen and her husband Matt went to have a look. You might be surprised to hear that, even though they're very skeptical people, they saw them too.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: A giant, hairy creature, part Ape, part Matt in Larkness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake and the Highlands of scott It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster t.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. We're gonna hop right into our chat with Karen and regular guest Matt Baxter. But I wanted to front load by saying Karen has a new book out. I've put a link to it in the show notes. It's all about the history of the word bitch, and looks to be the sort of fun book that's both a fascinating history of a word, a topic that's near and dear to word lovers, and also an amusingly rude kind of title that makes for a fun read in public places. So check the show notes for a linked to Bitch, and also to a book where some of Tonight's research is explain in detail. One of my favorite books Karen's written, and that is haunting America. I think you'll enjoy both of those. Monstertle, Hey, Matt, Hey, Karen, Welcome back to Monster Talk. Is another week, another exciting talk about strange and paranormal and paranormal adjacent, monster adjacent and monsters. Hey, I was looking for you for what we've been talking about this week, and I realized somehow, and I don't know how we did this. We seem to have talked about this investigation you guys did on this cemetery several times on YouTube, but I don't think we've actually done like a thorough episode about your investigation. And this is work that you did which showed up been haunting America and it's really interesting. It has weird parallels to one of my first cases I ever did with other people and skepticism and so like, this is great. So let's talk about the Silver Cliff Cemetery in your investigation, and I hope if you don't mind, could we start out with sort of talking about why it's spooky, what's the legend, like, what is this, where is it and what's it all about.
Speaker 5: There's a lot to unpack here and this is a story. It's really one of those ones that keeps coming up again and again. Just when you think, Okay, well we have the answer to this, we've debunked this, we've got the solution to the claims, it just seems to resurface, and it's almost as though that information, the truth is now there. So Silvercliff Cemetery. So we're in Colorado and Matt and I have continued to hear about this little cemetery. It's really out in the middle of nowhere, I guess it's where is it, Matt? Probably about three hours drive from Denver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, approximately, I would say.
Speaker 5: So. It's right next to this town called Westcliffe, and it's purported to have the countries most haunted, if not the world's most haunted cemetery. So when I think about cemeteries, I tend to think about those big ones like maybe Saint Louis Cemetery in New Orleans, the one that Marie Leveaux would frequent I think about places like Resurrection Cemetery in Chicago as well, and a Hollywood Cemetery in LA with the ghosts of celebrities and things like that. So I was a little mystified as to why this place had this reputation for being so haunted, and so Matt and I became very interested in this topic and really did an investigation that took quite some time. This goes back ten eleven years now, and we went to this place and we went in different climates, different seasons as well, so that we could really try to figure out what was going on there. And ultimately the answer, the solution was right in front of us. But it was an interesting tale just to get to that point. So, Matt, do you want to begin by telling everyone a little bit a bit about the stories that have taken place surreting cemetery.
Speaker 3: Well, like Karen said, it's near a town called Westcliffe, which actually is a sister town to a town called Silvercliff. They're right next to each other, they're practically the same town. But the reason one is called Silvercliff is because there was an amazing silver mining rush there back in the late eighteen hundreds and that's when supposedly the legend started, when people started getting buried in the cemetery around that time in the eighteen eighties, that there were these strange sort of floating blue lights and they thought that they were like lanterns, you know, from inside the mines that someone was carrying, but it became very creepy, and it's like, you know, you you've kind of got these these old tales of this this, these are these lights out out in the cemetery. And then you know, we here in this day and age, we hear that National Geographic actually went out and did an investigation out there and.
Speaker 6: They saw them.
Speaker 3: They in their investigation, they saw the lights. They proved that they were there, and you know it's.
Speaker 6: In an.
Speaker 3: Issue of National Geographic August nineteen sixty nine. So how can you argue with that? I mean, that's some that's a great, great place to start, you know with with oh, this must be real. Just happens to turn out that, you know, it wasn't an investigation.
Speaker 5: The stories that are coming out of the cemetery really change over the years. So, as Matt said, originally you've got the idea of this a bright light, maybe a blue light typically or a white light, through to multi colored lights, red lights and green lights, and lights that bounce around the cemetery. A lot of stories seem to resemble tales of will of the wisps and spoop lights. So you really have a lot of folklore that's intersecting with this story and feeding into it, and as Matt said, claims that maybe these lights came from miners, or there was a young girl who was buried in the cemetery and the lights are coming from her somehow. So all of these different stories, but miners, miners, both both kind and ultimately you were told, well, this has been researched, This has been investigated by none other than National Geographics. So obviously this is factual. This is true. Something strange is going on here. So what's interesting is that the New York Times had actually covered the case a few years before National Geographic. People do talk about that as well. There's just a little article and I've got a clipping that I'll read out from the New York Times. The legends say that the dancing lights were first seen in the pre dawn hours of a bitter winter day in eighteen eighty A small group of miners were returning to Silver Cliff after a riproaring party in the nearby mining town of Rosita. They were still a bit unsteady of foot after the festivities and were laughing as they recalled the raucous highlights of the dance hall social Their route back to Silvercliff, took them past the old cemetery, and here, as they passed the place, one of the miners stopped, grasped the arm of a companion and pointed into the burial ground. They're flickering on the carved surface for freshly raised tombstone was a blue flame. The miners stared with fascination for a while, a very short while, and with less stagger and more speed, headed quickly for nearby Silver Cliff. So, yeah, we have that story, and then that's followed by the story of National Geographics. So you have this idea of it being I don't know, maybe a long form piece or a research piece, and the National Geographic don't really do those kinds of scholarly investigations. But the information on silver Cliff is a lot shorter than we're led to believe, and it's just this little PostScript. Really, So do you.
Speaker 2: Remember when we were talking about the most haunted cities and there was one that was listed in the Guinness Booker World Records and we looked and it was just like a little like a little paragraph blurb thing was it was completely not well this is yeah, yeah, two paragraph but still I just reminded me.
Speaker 5: Hardly some kind of investigation or academic paper or anything like that. Just a footnote really, in an article called Colorado the Rockies Pot of Gold by Edward Lyneham in the August nineteen sixty nine. As Matt said, so I'll read the little section because it's not that long. Eerie lights away to explanation. I recall quite vividly the last such town I visited before leaving Colorado, a place called Silver Cliff in the Wet Mountain valley west of Pueblo. Today it counts about one hundred and ten year round residents, where once five thousand lived. Be sure to get thereafter dark. A fellow camper from Kansas had told me, and drive out to the old cemetery, you'll see something mighty strange. We'd bounced about a mile out of Silver Cliff across Pitch Black Prairie when Bill Klein, who runs the local campground, told me to pull up and switch my headlights off. Do you believe it? I asked him about the lights in the graveyard. I've seen plenty of them. This is a good night for them. Overcast, no mood. We climbed out beside the old burying ground, and for long minutes I strained to see something anything. Slowly vague outlines of grave markers emerged in ragged rose. There. Bill's voice was quiet, almost a whisper, And over there I saw them, too, dim round spots of blue white light glowed ethereally among the graves. I found another and stepped forward for a better look. They vanished. For fifteen minutes, we walked about the place, pursuing one will of the wisp, then another. I aimed my flashlight at one eerie glow and switched it on. It revealed only a tombstone. Again, that's not any kind of in depth investigation. It's just a footnote and really just recounting the folklore. And so I think that it kind of gives us a hint at what's going on as well. They're talking about these lights in the cemetery, and what happens right at the end the fellow aims is flashlight at one of these glows, and there's a tombstone. So I think if we want to talk about spoilers, that really spoils what's going on when.
Speaker 2: Is quite a spoiler and anchored right there at such an early date. Yeah, Yeah, exactly it is, and.
Speaker 5: Even though they say eerie lights a weight explanation. So then we go back to a skeptical inquirer piece and I don't have it handy, but I think it goes back to maybe the nineteen eighties or nineteen nineties, and the fellow who writes the article does come up with the solution for what's going on here, that it's reflections of lights on tombstones. But again, the source of what's going on is right in front of us. Even though so many articles have come out, no one's been able to figure out what exactly was going on on. Well, they figured out what's going on, but they haven't found out that the source tells us, you know, what was really happening. But you've got other scientific theories out there too, Matt. Do you want to talk a little bit to some of.
Speaker 3: Those, like.
Speaker 5: Fireflies and phosphorescence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's lots of different theories and and and you know scientific things that could be happening, And there's there's lots of reasons that.
Speaker 6: You could see something.
Speaker 3: Phosphorescent out there, such as decaying wood sometimes can become fastphorescent.
Speaker 5: From all crosses.
Speaker 3: Fox fire, and so you know, there's lots of different possibilities, none of them I think would be consistent.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. But maybe it doesn't need.
Speaker 6: To be right. Maybe maybe it doesn't.
Speaker 3: You only need one person, one thing at one time for it to be all.
Speaker 5: Even with the explanation that we have though, it could truly be different people seeing different things. So even though we know what happened, it's possible that at other times, other people saw different things. That's a really good point.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, you know, Karen and I we did go out there three different times and just to try to really figure out what people were seeing.
Speaker 5: Because we're not well, we're not well as much time to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: One time was in the dead of winter and it was.
Speaker 5: Very cold and knowing and I see and yeah, miserable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it really was.
Speaker 5: We camped out to see the lights.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we saw them.
Speaker 2: Did you did you sleep in the cemetery or outside the cemetery? We didn't sleep, Oh, I see, Well that's hot.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 2: The point is.
Speaker 3: It was really interesting though, because we were really watching for any possibility, and that particular night it wasn't overcast, it was just freezing.
Speaker 6: We did see the lights.
Speaker 3: We went up there in the summertime and we did catch some overcast, you know, so we couldn't blame the stars reflecting off of the headstones and that we still could see them.
Speaker 5: There's another theory too that we haven't touched upon. That some people will say it's something called prisoner's cinema. So people are in solitary confinement or maybe in a cave or something like that.
Speaker 2: You're in a very pre deprivation situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, it is yet and almost akin to sneezing and when you see stars and bright lights. But people certainly go out to Silver Cliff to this day trying to see something, and at a night where there are very few stars or there's no light, you could very easily pull yourself into thinking that you're seeing something.
Speaker 3: Well, the key words there is trying to see something. So it is pretty easy to see something out there if you're really trying, And the sensory deprivation aspect of it is can it happen very easily. The whole thing about it is when you're having a sensory deprivation sort of experience and you're out there in the dark, there's a certain look to it, and you can kind of tell that, oh, this is not real. This is you know, my eyes are playing with me because I'm in the dark. But you know, if you're really needing to kind of, you know, play into your own bias, then you can ignore those obvious things.
Speaker 6: But that's still not it.
Speaker 3: That's still not what was causing the lights that we were seeing.
Speaker 6: We were seeing, you.
Speaker 3: Know what those old miners saw, I'm sure, which is another interesting thing because we can't find any mention of any of these stories about these old miners before this little bit of information we found in a history museum down in the basement in the microfish area.
Speaker 5: And yeah, that was the interesting thing that you have these reports that allegedly go back to the eighteen eighties. So we kept hearing about these periods of time that we're being mentioned. We'd hear about the eighteen eighties, and then we'd read a lot about the nineteen twenties, so either miners in the eighteen eighties or miners or party goers in the nineteen twenties. But there were also a number of specific references too that we'll talk about nineteen fifty six. So it was kind of interesting that you have these other vague dates eighteen eighties, nineteen twenties, and then suddenly people talking about maybe April nineteen fifty six or around that timeframe, and that just seems so specific that we thought, well, we should really look into this, maybe there's something to be found here. So we went to History Colorado. I guess what would you call it? Matter kind of archives place and a museum.
Speaker 3: It's a museum, and then you know, of course the basement is where they have all these things.
Speaker 6: Archive.
Speaker 5: We went there on speaking of cold and snow, it was just a very icy, snowy day. I think a blizzard was taking It was a blizzard, yes, And so we went down there early in the morning and asked to use the microfish and went looking for There had been a number of newspapers in the area around that time, and some of them have just gone bust and over time, but one that fit the bill for being published in that area and it would have been relevant to that time, was a newspaper called the Wet Mountain Tribune. So we brought up copies of that for nineteen fifty six and for a nineteen fifty five I think fifty six to fifty seven, so we could look around that whole time frame, and it was so interesting to just go through these old newspapers and like, I know, you love this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: All I was thinking was I would love to go on a micro fishing trip for the weekend.
Speaker 3: That it was so much fun. I have to say I was totally role playing when I you know, I'm there, you know, being the detective, you know, in this very special episode of you know, of an old seventies, you know, police show, and I was just having a great time. And I looked over at Karen and the expression on her face shocked me because as she clearly found.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, what a great sailing that is.
Speaker 5: Though, Oh really, yeah, we're going through all these old trite stories about oh, mister and missus Smith drove through the area and this was their second visit, and just like these really kind of simple, basic stories about locals and visitors to the town, and just the things that were interesting at that point seemed quite dull in comparison to today. But yeah, we came across the article, so it was dated April thirteenth, nineteen fifty six, and I'm hoping, Matt, you can read the snippets of this story. It's called Silver Cliffs Cemetery ghosts carrying their own lights at night, and that headlines everything away.
Speaker 6: I love it is love the headline so clickbait. I can't believe that.
Speaker 5: It's nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 6: Yes, it was a.
Speaker 3: Very very early version of clickbait. But yeah, because one of the other headlines right next to it is fire Threaten's local ranch residents. So I will do my best to read this without stumbling too much because the print is small.
Speaker 6: But I'll do my best.
Speaker 3: Curious clustertes flock to burial ground a view unusual reflections. Traffic to the Silver Cliff Cemetery has increased at least one thousand percent during the past week, but there is no cause for alarm, or is there at least the traffic increases.
Speaker 6: Not due to an increase in.
Speaker 3: The local death rate, although some of those who have made the trip to the cemetery have expressed themselves as scared to death. It seems that one evening last week, some of the younger set of the community were taking a nocturnal ride which carried them past the cemetery. As they passed the cemetery, screams of terror came from the feminine occupants of the car as they beheld numerous eerie lights dancing about among the tes. The following day, tales of the ghostly lights were spreading rapidly through the community, and numerous were the curious ones who trekked to the cemetery. During the nights that followed. There were those who trembled with the terror as they saw the bluish lights twinkling here and there in the burial ground, And many strong men refused to leave the sanctuary of their cars, and many frightened women would take but one look, I'm going to skip down here a little bit so we can get to the spoilers. Theories as to the reason for the lights. They're still there if you want to see them, are numerous. Some advanced the theory that some mischievous youngsters had put luminous paint on the tombstones. The close examination proved that this was not true. Others said that it must be the reflection of the stars on the tombstones. But the lights are there on a cloudy night, so that theory goes awry. The most logical explanation concurred in by many is that the weird lights are reflections of the street lights of Westcliff, which cast the bluest tinge and would reflect that thus on tombstones of Silvercliff Cemetery, even though they are over a mile away. At least, the ghostly lights have provided unusual entertainment for many customites. Yeah, so, you know in the very first reference to the ghosts of Silvercliff Cemetery has the.
Speaker 6: Solution in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it should have been a one and done, you know, should have been one and done.
Speaker 5: Doesn't date back to the nineteen twenties or the eighteen eighties. It's nineteen fifty six. It was probably spotted by other people before that as well, and you know, independently, but certainly the urban legend as it's spread today dates back to that article exactly.
Speaker 2: This is classic folklore where that you know, you have a modern store in people will invent are or find just the most you know, tenuous connections to previous Absolutely, yeah, to give it historical anker. But the thing is, I think it's worth mentioning how compelling this illusion or is not an illusion, this effect of lights reflecting off of tombstones at night can be. I mean Again, one of my earliest cases working with other people was working with Kylie Surgis on a cemetery in Australia and it was the exact same thing. Ghost Hunters had gone into the cemetery and they'd videotape what looked like weird lights flying around and it really was.
Speaker 5: It really did.
Speaker 2: It looked like that. But you know, I slowed it down frame by frame and stabilized it, and it became as soon as I did that, it was obvious what they really were doing. The camera was moving and the light from the camera was reflecting off the tombstone and it really was quite eerie in what you know, without stabilizing and then oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's something worth saying. I mean, if our listeners happen to be in the area or locals, I mean, I'm sure they would know about it then, But if you get the opportunity to go and check it out, and I'm sure it's a phenomenon that, as you say, Blake occurs in lots of other cemeteries, and I think just that association with it being a cemetery and full of bodies and everything attached with that, all that those associations, it's it is just a very eerie experience.
Speaker 2: So is the church there? Is there a church adjacent to the cemetery. Is it still an active thing or is it just like a historically sort of defunct graveyard.
Speaker 3: There's no church there, but it is an active graveyard still. The problem is is there's just not much money coming into it, so it's a bit derelict at times. They don't have anyone that they can pay to be a caretaker out there. So unfortunately it can live up to its reputation as being a creepy place. But you know, the thing is is you've got this story in the newspaper, and you know they're saying that there's all sorts of theories that people are arguing about. So when that happens, people tend to make up stories just to win arguments. And one of those is that a judge had organized it. So everybody in both silver Cliff and Westcliffe shut off their lights one night for a particular amount of time, and they went out and they could still see the lights in the cemetery. And I'm thinking, at this time in history, how did he organize that?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm wondering how he could have prevented out of town is from driving through or with any other sources of lights, or.
Speaker 3: They would have had to shut off the city lights, you know, all the street lights and everything, and then in people's homes, and how did everybody get notified? And you know it doesn't make sense. No, Yeah, A great way to notify people would have been in the newspaper to say, to say, we're organizing this, But there is nothing in any of the newspapers.
Speaker 6: So yeah, we don't think this judge, Yeah, this judge did not.
Speaker 5: It would have been too difficult to orchestrate. But again that's part of the law. And it's just fascinating that, you know, I feel like we busted the story open. And I was a little irritated to discover a couple of years ago that someone that we've worked with in the past had basically taken all of our research, all of our findings as his own and said that he had done the work, he had uncovered all of this, which just isn't the case. But regardless, people haven't really paid attention to what we've come up with, and the debunking the story is still out there. There are tons of videos on you Tube of people going out there and scaring themselves. But it's really interesting to see how the folklore has morphed over the years. So nowadays the current stories. People in the past again will talk about fairy lights or spook lights, or we'll love the wisp or ghosts and other things like that. Well, nowadays they're orbs.
Speaker 2: I thought orbs was going to be one of those weird things that rose up and then everybody has sort of agreed, no, no, that's just dust, and then they go away and they think no. People are like, yeah, well, most orbs are just dust, but then some of them have faces and those are the real ones, and like, really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that logic. Yeah, but we've certainly heard things like that, haven't we met?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: One of the other problems is people get their information from seeing orbs on a video where there's actual movement. Now, the thing is is these orbs or dust can change direction very quickly. Yeah, because of the little micro air currents that we create from moving our hand gesturing dust movie. Yeah, exactly, anything we do. I did an interesting experiment where I filled a room with a fog machine fog and then videotaped how it would react as I just made tiny little movements, you know, and you know, it's quite maddening to see all the different you know, swirls and everything else that happened. And if you got just one dust particle that happens to be reflecting back to the camera, it looks like it's just dancing and doing all kinds of amazing things that a dust particle could never do. So it's gotta be a goot. So, you know, the bringing video into the whole orb of argument really dirties things up.
Speaker 5: But it's just interesting to see the evolution of the story anyway, that it's still around, and it's really surprising how many people flock to this cemetery. I mean people all around the state, all around the country, all around the globe. When we were there, we met people from Europe and people from Asia, just people from all different kinds of places and all different backgrounds who were drawn to the place and the it's just amazing how far and wide this story has spread.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it.
Speaker 2: Is interesting that, you know, you get a cemetery full of dead people, but these legends refuse to stay buried. I mean they won't.
Speaker 6: They just keep rising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a lot more undead qualities than the corpses, right, they just keep rising from the grave again and again. You offer a solution for people who want it, you know, and I imagine most people don't because we're terrible fun ruiners. But I like knowing what's really going.
Speaker 5: A good point. Yeah, well me too, Me too. And it was really fun to piece this together and go out and to experience it in different climates, different times of year. And I mean, it's the kind of thing that people like us do, really pigheaded and determined to get to the bottom of these things, and so it was just so exciting to find that answer, that solution. But no, it hasn't really changed anything.
Speaker 2: No, but it is so glorious to find those smoking guns when you can.
Speaker 6: It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good, it really was.
Speaker 5: It was just a good feeling of satisfaction that we've done our job well and anyway, so it's just nice to know that the information's out there, as you say, if you want it.
Speaker 2: We have no air condition right now. It's in the nineties outside. We've been sleeping on the floor just trying to stay cool. And to imagine being on a snowy field on a cold night in Colorado. I would have some coffee and looking for ghost slightes. This glorious to me right now, absolutely glorious.
Speaker 6: Yes, this is the reason we brought this up. It's like knew you were suffering. It makes me so.
Speaker 5: Happy, like watching one of those videos on YouTube of rain exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we would, we would love my yard is psychologically my heart's gone from green to beige for real, Like we haven't handrat in a while.
Speaker 6: So it's bad.
Speaker 2: But hey, thank you for sharing this, thank.
Speaker 5: You for yeah, for for resurrecting this again. But it is just one of those perennial stories. It's always out there. But I would like to mention something else, and that is that when this show comes out, that's my latest book will have come out as well. Bitch, the Journey of a work.
Speaker 2: Beep it out?
Speaker 6: How scare you.
Speaker 5: Leave it in for the patrons?
Speaker 2: That's right, Your coming out really much.
Speaker 5: I hope that's our listeners who are interested in the history and the folklore and popular culture of this word will run out and grab a copy.
Speaker 2: People have been hounding you to know when it was coming out, and.
Speaker 5: I see what you did.
Speaker 6: Female hounding.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, now there mystery is curtailed. All right, this is fantastic. Thank you so much guys for sharing the story and the research. I'll put some It's okay to use these photos in the show notes. Yes, yes, fantastic.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, So if you happen to find yourself out in this particular cemetery and see lights, you know, don't be afraid. Just tune in. Remind yourself it's just on reflection, it's not that dangerous.
Speaker 5: And on that note, we'll be back soon.
Speaker 4: Monster.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Doc, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake's and I'm Karen Stolesner. You just heard Karen Stolesno and Matt Baxter tell the story of the Silvercliff Cemetery lights and how they uncovered the illuminating history behind that story. Check out the show notes for links for more details about this case and a link to Karen's book Haunting America, which has a chapter about solving this mystery. And there's also a link in the show notes to Karen's very latest book, Bitch, The Journey of a Word. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forwarge slash support. That's monster talk dot org forwarge Slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page, as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish List, which directly helps us.
Speaker 6: With our research.
Speaker 2: We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we could share our digital libraries with each other and finally, without spending any money at all. You can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys to steal a line from Stephen Frye. If you have been thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Yeh, this has been a Monster House presentation