Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits you wop right in the quizzer.
Speaker 2: I'm David Flora and I'm Annie Flora, and we're here to un teach you more about trivia. Oh bys, As you can tell already.
Speaker 1: By the fact that you forgot your own.
Speaker 2: Name, the best joke of all is on me.
Speaker 1: We have an April Fool's episode here. This is not serious trivia, so sorry. If you're new to the show and looking for that, go to one episode before this, or one episode after this, or many others yes that aren't named April Fools.
Speaker 2: This is our nonsense episode, so for those of you up for some nonsense.
Speaker 1: We have it.
Speaker 2: It is for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is our annual fun one. We allow ourselves one fun day a year and this is it. But hopefully it's entertaining to you, so we hope you enjoy it and don't forget. We have Live Zoom Trivia on Saturday, April the eleventh, at noon mountain time. If you need the link let us know. Otherwise, kick back and have some fun.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna dive right into it.
Speaker 2: Round one question one true or false? This sentence is false. Question two. If you time traveled and took a copy of Hamlet to Shakespeare before he wrote it, and he copied it and claimed it, and it reproduced until it ends up back in the bookstore where you buy it to take back to Shakespeare who wrote Hamlet? Question three. Greek King Theseus put his famed ship in a museum, and as the wood rotted, it was replaced until it was all new. Was the new ship still the ship of Theseus? Question four? In a hotel with an infinite number of rooms, with an infinite number of guests, is there any vacancy for new guests?
Speaker 1: And now?
Speaker 2: The answer is to round one? Question one, True or false? This sentence is false. If you said true, the statement is false contradiction. If you said false, the statement is true. Contradiction.
Speaker 1: It's a classic liar's paradox.
Speaker 2: Question two. If you time traveled and took a copy of Hamlet to Shakespeare before he wrote it, and he copied it and claimed it, and it reproduced until it ends up back in the bookstore where you buy it to take back to Shakespeare who wrote Hamlet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't know who's the first to do it in that scenario, it's called the bootstrap paradox. Pull yourself up.
Speaker 2: By your bootstraps, by your time machine bootstraps. Question three. Greek King Theseus put his fame ship in a museum, and as the wood rotted, it was replaced until it was new. Was the new ship still the ship of Theseus?
Speaker 1: What do you think any.
Speaker 2: Sure? Why not?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, there's no clear answer to that one, Like.
Speaker 2: All good trivia, Thank you Wanda vision. Question four. In a hotel with infinite number of rooms with an infinite number of guests, is there any vacancy for new guests? The trick to solving this problem is to make a mapping from our accountable infinite set of rooms to another countable infinite set of rooms that leaves us with an extra unoccupied room.
Speaker 1: It is possible to incorporate infinite guests because you have infinite rooms, and you either move people to the next room over to accommodate the next guest, or if there's an infinite you multiply whatever room they're in by itself, or in Room one's case, you double it, and so they all move into even numbered rooms, and all the odd numbered rooms accommodate the infinite guests.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: It's hard to think about it.
Speaker 2: I would hate to stay at that hotel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine the walk to breakfast. Round two. Question five, Assuming the idea that what you have not lost you have, when did you lose your horns? Question six? An adjective is autological if it describes itself. An adjective is heterological if it does not describe itself. Is heterological a heterological word? Question seven? Is it possible to know that you know nothing? Question eight? True or false? It is opposite day today and now they answers to round two. Question five, Assuming the idea that what you have not lost you have, when did you lose your horns? Well, if you have not lost your horns, you must have horns. If you did lose your horns, you had horns.
Speaker 2: No matter what we're letting you know, you have horns.
Speaker 1: Question six? Is heterological a heterological word? If you said no, that means heterological is autological? That means, since heterological does not describe itself, it is a contradiction. If you said yes, then heterological is heterological and it does not describe itself, and so heterological is not heterological and therefore would be a contradiction. Question seven, is it possible to know that you know nothing? If you said yes, then you know something. That's a contradiction. If you said no, how would you know? That's a contradiction. That's attributed to Socrates, but it was It's mostly attributed to what Plato said about what Socrates.
Speaker 2: Said, so we know nothing about who actually said it.
Speaker 1: Dun Dunn. Question eight. True or false? It's opposite day today. If it's true, then the statement's false. If it's false, then the statement's false. That's like the liar paradox.
Speaker 2: That's it for the first half, which means it's time for the bang bang round. You will have thirty seconds to say nothing at all. Your tips are now.
Speaker 1: And that's time. You had thirty seconds to say nothing at all. If you said nothing at all, you are correct. However, if you said nothing at all, you are incorrect.
Speaker 2: You're still listening.
Speaker 1: If you said yes, you're incorrect.
Speaker 2: Round three. Question nine. A town has one barber who shaved all those and those only who do not shave themselves? Does the barber shave himself? Question ten is an arrow fired into the air in motion? Question eleven. A man trying to sell a spear in a shield claimed that his spear could pierce any shield, and then claim that his shield was unpierceable. What would happen if he were to take his spear to strike his shield? Question twelve? Is it possible to get from point A to point B? And now the answers to round three? Question nine. The town has one barber who shaves all those and those only who do not shave themselves. Does the barber shave himself? The barber cannot shave himself, as he only shaves those who do not shave themselves. Thus, if he shaves himself, he ceases to be the barber specified. Conversely, if the barber does not shave himself, then he fits into the group of people who the specified barber would shave, and thus has that barber. He must shave himself. What a life? Question ten? Is an arrow fired into the air in motion? For the arrow to be considered to be moving, it has to be continually repositioning itself from the place where it is now to any place where it currently isn't at any one durationless instant of time, the arrow is neither moving to where it is nor to where it is not. If time is entirely composed of instance, then motion is impossible.
Speaker 1: Take that arrow, if you take a picture of it in the air, it's it's not me in motion. And you just imagine with time, every instant is a snapshot. It doesn't move.
Speaker 2: Question eleven. A man trying to sell a spear and a shield claimed that his spear could pierce any shield, and then claim that his shield wasn't pierceable. What would happen if he were to take a spear to strike his shield? Wouldn't you like to know?
Speaker 1: That's the classic unstoppable force meeting an immovable object. What gives?
Speaker 2: What? Oh?
Speaker 1: The point is you're wrong?
Speaker 2: Question twelve. Is it possible to get from point A to point B? No, to get there, one must get halfway there. Before that, one must get halfway to halfway. Before that, one must get halfway to halfway to halfway, and so on indefinitely, thus never reaching point B, sorry, never getting there.
Speaker 1: A couple of those are some Zeno's paradoxes. You know, Greek.
Speaker 2: Phloosphah Achilles in the tortoise or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is this follows on the heels of that but yeah, it's kind of like if you need to get from here to there, then you have to get halfway there first, but then you have to get halfway to that first, and then you get halfway to that, so it just keeps going and going and you never really get there. But you know, that's more of a thought experiment. Round four, Question thirteen. If Pinocchio says, my nose grows longer, now does it? Fourteen? Can a society truly be tolerant of everything? Question fifteen? Will you answer the next question the same as you answer this one? Question sixteen? Do you love? Quiz? Quiz? Bang? Bang? And now the answers a Round four question thirteen. If Pinocchio says, my nose grows longer, now does it? That's the same paradox as the liar's paradox. The sentence is false because if the nose does grow, he didn't lie, and that's a contradiction. But if his nose doesn't grow, he lied, and that's a contradiction, and it grows. Question fourteen Can a society truly be tolerate and of everything? That would suppose tolerance of intolerance, which would eventually erode or destroy, said tolerance through oppressive practices. So if you are tolerant of intolerance, they're gonna take you over. They're gonna get rid of you.
Speaker 2: Yep, sorry, you tried.
Speaker 1: This is a political philosophy, right, It's one of those things that people like to try to weaponize, usually the intolerant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question fifteen, will you answer the next question the same as you answer this one? Just looking for a yes or no on this because it leads to question sixteen? Do you love quiz quis bang bang? If you said yes to the previous question, then you must answer yes to this than if you said no to the previous question, then you must answer yes to this one because it's different than the answer you gave. And you love us.
Speaker 2: Yay, thanks for loving us. Forced love is the best love. And that's it for the regular rounds? Or is it, which means it's time for the big bag round? It is. We'll name an object. Do you tell us if it's proof we're living in a simulation? Here we go, trombone, chair, pumpkin, testosterone, airport, snow battle damage, he man beans on toast, and now the answers to the big bang round.
Speaker 1: Trombone, Yes, that's proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: Chair.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's proof we're living in simulation. Pumpkin, Yes, that's proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: Testosterone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: Airport.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's proof we're living in a simulation snow. Yes, that's proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: Battle damage he man, Yes.
Speaker 1: That's proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: Beans on toast.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's definitely proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoyed those trivia paradoxical questions, and we hope you got them all right.
Speaker 1: A lot of these if you look them up, I mean, if you search paradoxes, you'll you'll come across these. It's very fun to look at and think about. Some of them are just straight up there's I don't think there's really a good answer unless you change the question itself, like the liar paradox, the sentence is false. And some of them have been used, you know, just in philosophy or in thought experiments. They span all kinds of genres, from politics, physics, chemistry, to time travel, economics, logic, math. That they're paradox is everywhere and they're fun to think about. Some of them are pretty silly, like the getting from point A to point B kind of thing, but some of them are pretty elegant. And that Zeno, the Greek Zeno, came up with a few of those and is a fascinating figure. And it's just a fun, fun way to think about reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, paradoxes are fun because they they're just fun thought experiments. Fun.
Speaker 1: It's is a paradox proof we're living in a simulation.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. Well, we hope everyone enjoys the rest of your April falls.
Speaker 1: We will have our regular episodes back next week and again Live Zoom Trivia is on April eleventh at noon mountain time, and that's it's standard day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no joke.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Everybody, Stay safe out there, keep staying safe. And for this special episode of Quiz Quiz bank Bang, I've been David Flora.
Speaker 2: I've been Andy Flora. Here's looking at you, Quiz