Speaker 1: You're listenings KFI AM six forty, the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App and now Handle on the news.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, here's not Bill Handle. This is the most flattering thing anybody's ever said about. Very nice, Happy Saint Patrick's Day. What could be the last of all Saint Patrick's Days as we know it?
Speaker 4: Did you know that? To Amy King? Happy Saint Patrick's Day?
Speaker 5: I do Saint patricks Day? But why could it be the last? We know it?
Speaker 4: This is all it? Why the terriff war? That's it.
Speaker 3: No more Saint Patrick's Day, No more Guinness Bears, no more Jamison, no more Bailey's Irish cream, which may or may not be in my coffee this morning, because who's gonna pay twenty five dollars for a Guinness when you could get domestic beer for a lot less for about fifty That's more than that. That's right, So that'll be it. This is it, This is the last Saint Patrick's Day. Might as well welcome the snakes back into England. Here they come all because of the terraform.
Speaker 6: Uh do you know that there there are no snakes in Ireland?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Did I say England. I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Oh did you say England?
Speaker 3: No, okay, it's early, it's Monday, and I'll give a crap.
Speaker 4: H Do you know why there are no snakes in Ireland?
Speaker 5: Because it's an island.
Speaker 4: It's St Patrick. That's why.
Speaker 5: No, there are no snakes.
Speaker 6: But the legend is that Saint Patrick banished them. It's symbolic of driving out pagan practices.
Speaker 5: Not real, it's not literal.
Speaker 4: I like to think of him as like the pied Piper of Ireland. Yep. Now maybe you've got some sort of.
Speaker 3: Literary interpretation of the snakes being Pagan's are some nonsense. But the reason that there are no snakes in I is because of the Saint Patrick, who is not otherwise you're a heathen.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, so we're off to.
Speaker 4: A good start.
Speaker 5: We are.
Speaker 6: I got I've got my list of fifty fun facts that I was using on wake up call.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I know what I'm talking about here. I googled it.
Speaker 4: And you're wearing the green and everything else, the one green.
Speaker 5: Thing I have in my closet.
Speaker 4: Very good? All right? Are we ready to do this? H? Marillan handle on the news.
Speaker 5: Sure, all right up.
Speaker 4: First, all we got is it a constitutional crisis.
Speaker 3: You heard Ammy King talking about this during Wake Up called Trump administration transferring hundreds of immigrants to l Salvador, even as a federal judge said, don't do that now. Trump invoked the eighteenth century Wartime Declaration saying that the Venezuelan gang members were war criminals. And so, as a US district judge told the Trump administration, now, you can't do that because you didn't declare war and this isn't a war time thing, they said, quick, get him on the plane, get him over international waters, and then the judge can't say anything, according to the Salvadorian president, who then tweeted, because that's what we do now, he said, and I'm quoting Oopsie too late. So the Salvadorian president is a Trump ally. He agreed to house the three hundred immigrants for a year. How much does it cost us to house three hundred immigrants for one year in El Salvador is six million dollars, So we got that going for us. Marco Rubio negotiated an earlier deal to house the immigrants for six million.
Speaker 4: What a steal, he said.
Speaker 3: We sent over two hundred and fifty alien enemy members of am I saying this right trend de Aragua, which sounded fancy, didn't it.
Speaker 4: Nice job, Thank you.
Speaker 3: El Salvador has agreed to hold those and what Marco Rubio said is hold them in their vain, very good jails at a fair price.
Speaker 4: That will also save our taxpayer dollars.
Speaker 3: So off they go over the sea using the Alien Enemies Act of seventeen ninety eight. The last time we use that was for Japanese American internment camps, so that always goes over. Really well, American history of using this act is it's really shown that we've learned a lot in the last two hundred and fifty years. The ACLU filed the lawsuit which led to the temporary restraining order which restrained nothing. ACLU was asking the government whether the removals to El Salvador were in defiance of the court, and of course the Trump administration says, nope, they were already over the air, and the court doesn't have jurisdiction over us. So they are deciding what rules they want to follow, and they're basically acting a little bit like teenagers. Imagine that your parents say you can't go out for the night. And so you go and you grab dad's keys and you jump in car, and then you head to your your friend's party. And then your parents call you and they say, we told you that you can't go to that party and you can't use the car, and you say, I'm already in the car and I'm already on the way, so you can't really stop me now. So that's what we've done there.
Speaker 6: It is off to you feeling a little shaky this morning. Maybe it's because there was an earthquake. Magnitude three point nine. Earthquake shook the Malibu area last night, hit at eight seventeen. It was a I mentioned three point nine about eight miles northeast of Westlake Village, nine miles north of a Thousand Oaks felt in Thousand Oaks, Montabello, Carson Moore Park, cam Mario. Someone wrote on Facebook that they felt it in Long Beach. This was the third Sunday in a row that an earthquake has struck Ellie County.
Speaker 5: So maybe it's becoming a weekly thing. Oh okay, no damage, your injuries.
Speaker 3: Kind of like setting clocks, sort of a reminder everybody, just get on it. Do you ever run into that guy that can feel in an earthquake, doesn't matter where it is, they go, did you feel it? I worked with a guy in San Diego that was like that, we could have an earthquake that would hit in Berego Springs and he'd come in and go I felt that one, and you go it was like a two point one eighty miles away, and he's like, ah, I'm pretty sure I felt that. No, there's always that guy though. I could feel it. I could feel it. Did you have marathon fever over the weekend?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know I did not? Yeah, I mean either, but twenty six thousand people did?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 3: Good for them, But I mean what we got like ten million people in the metro area and twenty six thousand. It's all licked mustard, all right. So it wasn't American that won the LA Marathon, first one to do so in more than thirty years, second largest field in race history. It was what's the guy's name, Matt Richmond or is it Rickman?
Speaker 5: I think it's Illinois? Okay, did you hear this? It was only the second time he'd ever run a marathon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think he cheated. Yeah, I'm gonna be the first to say it. I'm probably not supposed to say that, but I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he did.
Speaker 5: I think you just skipped a leg of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably stopped, got some starbucks, came as everybody was headed back.
Speaker 4: That's what I would have done.
Speaker 3: His time two minutes, excuse me, two hours, seven minutes, fifty six seconds.
Speaker 4: Pretty quick. That put him, uh full three minutes.
Speaker 3: Two minutes and fifty nine seconds for you that want to at me, full three minutes ahead of the Kenyon.
Speaker 4: So I don't know. We just have some uh.
Speaker 3: Some savant marathon or who's hanging out on the sidelines and just decides it's going to jump in and then.
Speaker 4: Win the thing.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't you think that this guy would have been running long distance in high school and track and would have continued to follow and then probably long distance running in college or.
Speaker 4: Something of the sort. It wouldn't be his second marathon. Ever.
Speaker 3: Something fishy is going on. I'm calling my shot right now. Something fishy is going on with this. You want to believe, but I'm too much of a realist. Something fishy is going on. I got nothing else to say about that.
Speaker 6: How about congratulations to Savannah Barry from Bakersfield. She was third in the women's race.
Speaker 3: Oh well that's great, right, Yeah, I think that's fantastic.
Speaker 5: We never do well, US doesn't do well in running.
Speaker 3: And she finished third behind an Ethiopian and a Kenyan.
Speaker 4: Yes, so hers is legit, yep.
Speaker 5: Okay because the guy won, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And nobody beats the Kenyans or the Ethiopians and marathons, okay, especially in their second one. And he just got off the couch and decided to run the marathon. No, I don't buy it.
Speaker 6: Okay, We're gonna play a little of you get this, we get that. Negotiators working to end the Rush Ukraine War say they have talked about dividing up certain assets. President Trump said he plans to speak to Russia's President Putin on Tuesday. The Kremlin has confirmed that. Trump said, I think we're doing pretty well with Russia, and so we'll see if we have something to announce, maybe by tuesday. And he made his comments on board Air Force one while he was just flying back to mar A Lago.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. So what does that mean, Jimmy King?
Speaker 3: Does that mean that we're we're just going through in divvying up Ukraine.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty good deal.
Speaker 3: I mean, we didn't have to fire a single a shot and we're gonna end up with half of Ukraine?
Speaker 4: Is that what I'm hearing from this?
Speaker 5: I don't think we get Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're gonna get their minerals one way or another.
Speaker 5: I think we're going to get their minerals.
Speaker 3: We are going to get their minerals. That's exactly what's gonna happen. Ukraine didn't want the deal. Zelensky leaves the White House and Trump says, Okay, I'm gonna go talk to Putin.
Speaker 4: We'll figure out who gets what in Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Putin Cannavili ports We're gonna take the minrows and the Ukrainians canna have the dirt. That's what's gonna happen. You watch, you watch we are we are divvying up Ukraine, and everybody's gonna go in and just grab what they want.
Speaker 4: It's a pillaging that's happening right now.
Speaker 3: You watch. It's marked my words. I'm a real bitter turd this morning, aren't I?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Why are you so grumpy of Saint Patrick's day? Supposed to be happy? Magically delicious and all that.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Back to Marillan Handle on the news. Right, I'm not missing anything, am I?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 3: No, you got it Ben A while since I can a been a while since I've sat.
Speaker 4: In this chair. We've got a storm system.
Speaker 3: If you have never experienced or tornado or heard the sirens go off, it's a hell of a lot of fun, unless, of course, it hits you. Powerful storm system tearing across the United States pois to move offshore into the Atlantic on Monday, devastation left in its weight. Thirty nine people eyed and storm related incidents, including Missouri, which had the highest death toll, followed by Kansas, most of Alabama severely impact. At least three died in Alabama. So this continues to rip around. And then we had the tornado and Pico rivera last week, right, So that was a that was an EF zero.
Speaker 6: It was still like I think it was eighty five mile per hour wins, knocked down a bunch of trees and that kind of stuff, but nothing nothing.
Speaker 3: In Arkansas they hit an EF F four wins in an EF four peak at one hundred and seventy miles an hour, So take your take your eighty five that we had in Pico and then double that that's what.
Speaker 4: They had going on. Holy cow, those are EF fours. I love this.
Speaker 3: One hundred and seventy mile per hour winds has killed dozens of people, and I love the writing that we get from CNN. Tornadoes have EF four strength are labeled as violent and can be devastating.
Speaker 4: Thanks CNN, that's very helpful.
Speaker 3: I Without that sentence, I never would have known that the EF four tornado that killed everybody and knocked over trees and devastated houses and through cars like they were softballs was a violence.
Speaker 4: So thank you c Well done on that one.
Speaker 5: Don't miss.
Speaker 6: With the US, US airstrikes have bombarded Yemen, targeting and taking out several leaders of the Iranian backed Hooties. White House National Security Advisor Mike Walls says that this was an overwhelming response that actually targeted multiple Hoothy leaders and took them out. The difference here is one going after the Houthi leadership and two holding Iran responsible. He says, Iran should be on notice.
Speaker 4: So does this mean that we are headed to war with Iran.
Speaker 3: It feels like somebody's itching for war, and we start attacking in Yemen. And this is so important because the Arabian Peninsula, of course is Uh is so key to the shipping lane through the Red Sea and then ultimately up through the canal in Egypt and the Suez Canal there, which of course became blocked and a couple of years ago, and when that became blocked, we know what that did to supply chains and everything else.
Speaker 4: Became a real mess. So now we seem to be.
Speaker 3: Itching to fight with Iran, and we say, well, we're gonna stop Iran from having nuclear weapons. Somebody should put a deal in place. It stops Iran from developing nuclear weapons. Somebody should have done this years ago. And so I guess we're working on that now and letting know, letting Iran know that hell will rain down upon you like nothing you have ever seen before. I don't know if anybody who has ever seen hell rain out before, but if they have, then this will be more hell raining down than they've ever seen before.
Speaker 4: It'll be hell rain times two is what we're looking for.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, oil prices in the United States, I guess what they're gonna do after we start attacking things in the Middle East, Just give it a shot. What do you think is gonna happen to oil prices when we pick fights in the Middle East?
Speaker 4: Will come as a shock to you. They went up Yep, the.
Speaker 3: United States vowing to keep attacking Yemen's huties until the Irano Line Group ends the assault on shipping Chinese economic data fueling hopes of higher demand for oil as well.
Speaker 4: And so what does that mean?
Speaker 3: That means Brent futures up sixty three cents, up over seventy one dollars a barrel. US Texas crewed futures up sixty two cents. That's up the too sixty seven to eighty a barrel. So if you thought gas prices were expensive, now you're gonna remember this as the good old days.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 3: I am really on just a role of just pessimism today, aren't I. This is not this is not Don't let me do Monday mornings anymore, guys, Just don't me doing. Yeah, I'm just grumpy as I'll get out here. Holy cow, I'll doom and gloom. I don't want to think you had anything else to say about that oil is going up no, we started attacking.
Speaker 4: Oil goes up.
Speaker 6: Okay, speaking of doom and gloomy twisters aren't the only killers. Fifty nine people were killed and one hundred and fifty five others were hurt when a fire broke out in a nightclub in North Macedonia. Happened at the Pulse nightclub over the weekend early morning hours of Sunday. Everybody killed just between sixteen and twenty four years old. Of course it was a nightclub. This has happened before. It looks like pyrotechnics used for lighting effects on stage at the concert is what started the fire that quickly spread to the entire club and filled it with thick smoke and fifty nine people killed.
Speaker 4: There are a couple of things about this that are horrific.
Speaker 3: First of all, we've had nightclub disasters like this in the United States and it's.
Speaker 4: Devastating, horrible.
Speaker 3: I don't want to take anything away from the pain that the people they are feeling. Okay, also have to think this, if I were to ask, if I were to pull Americans and I were to say on what continent is Macedonia, how many would get it right? Not even like near what other country? Just on what continent is Macedonia? How many do you think we get it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: Not many?
Speaker 4: Not many? No, not many?
Speaker 5: Is it on Africa? I don't know where it is?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I wasn't going to call you out, but I genuinely had.
Speaker 4: To google it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, No, it squeezed between Bulgaria and Albania. It is just north of Greece, so it is a European country. Yep, yep, there it is. Who there you go.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to south of Kosovo.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was not going to call you out. I'm happy with letting everybody know what a boob I am.
Speaker 5: But my geography is back in my high school brain.
Speaker 3: I would have thought I would have gassed Africa too. That would have been it would have been yeah, north Macedonia. Yep, just north of Greece. Now we know, which is why again we don't even know where it is, which is why so few Americans are even going to pay attention.
Speaker 6: To that, which is keep out because is really a bad one.
Speaker 4: It is a terrible one. All right.
Speaker 3: We've got the Peruvian fishermen. Why would Peruvian fishermen be in the news. You will find out.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: In Peruvian Fishermen News, digging into the Peruvian Fisherman Weekly, there was a Peruvian fisherman who evidently didn't make it back when he was supposed to, and he was just floating in the Pacific Ocean for ninety five days.
Speaker 4: Three months at sea, he was lost.
Speaker 3: Maximo Castro, sixty one years old, set off on his fishing boat in December. Bad weather caused him to stray off his course lose direction. He was found March eleventh by an Ecuadorian fishing boat in the waters off the coast of northern Peru.
Speaker 4: Heavily dehydrated. You think in critical condition, they said.
Speaker 3: After his rescue, he told media in a tearful interview that he managed to survive by drinking rain water that he collected on the boat and eating insects, birds, and a turtle. He went fifteen days without eating. How long would you go before you decided I'm gonna have to eat something?
Speaker 5: The turtle maybe forever?
Speaker 3: Oh see, turtle would have been the first one i'd grabbed. Yeah, okay, they just feel like they're a lot slower. It would have been harder for me to catch a bird, I think, but he caught birds somehow fish.
Speaker 4: I don't know why you didn't fish fishing gear? You would? How do you? How are you a fisherman with no fishing gear?
Speaker 6: Oh well there's that. Huh Yeah, see now I would eat the sushi.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's just a really, really bad fisherman.
Speaker 3: Peru's worst fisherman found alive after floating at sea for ninety five days, living on insects, birds and turtle. Why didn't you eat fish? He was asked, Never thought of it, replied Castro made that up. So anyway, he's back sixty one years old. Would a gen zer have survived ninety five days at sea?
Speaker 4: Anybody? Anybody? Not even a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's your chance to bag on a younger generation if you want. Just go ahead. Yeah no, they would. Oh my god, my style signal has gone. This would be so many clicks if I could TikTok this, but they didn't. Okay, Off to you, Amy.
Speaker 5: Your home insurance looks like it's going to go up.
Speaker 6: We had been hearing about this, but State Farm asked for that twenty two percent rate hike because of the devastation from the wildfires and their their higher cost and California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Laura has provisionally accepted the.
Speaker 5: Request for the twenty two percent rate hike.
Speaker 6: He said it'll be fully approved only if the company can justify it with data in a public hearing.
Speaker 5: That's happening. Happening in April.
Speaker 6: Laura also said, hey, State Farm, you gotta quit stopping the renewals, and also wants an infusion of five hundred million dollars from its parent company to help stabilize finances.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, yet, did you see the condition that they have to put on this is that I love this.
Speaker 4: They're gonna get their twenty two percent rate.
Speaker 3: Hike only if the company can justify it with data in a public hearing. Well, of course they're gonna justify it. They're gonna come out, they're gonna take their lumps, and what's gonna happen is we're gonna shame State Farm. They're gonna get their twenty two percent rate hike. Your home insurance rates are gonna go up, but only after there's a couple of hours that we get to.
Speaker 4: Shame State Farm. That's it.
Speaker 5: Shame.
Speaker 4: He's making them do the walk of shame.
Speaker 5: Shame, shame, shame.
Speaker 3: And this is after there was that surreptitiously recorded exec from State Farm that said, yeah, I mean, we're gonna tell them twenty two percent rate hike and they don't get it. We're gonna tell them that we're gonna drop a bunch of drop a bunch of policies. They basically admitted privately. Of course they aren'tother being recorded that it's all a game that they're playing.
Speaker 4: It's all a game.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get our rate hike, and all we have to do is threaten to drop insurance. The state doesn't have any leverage because that fair plan is totally broke, and so State Farm goes, all right, I'll tell you what, Yeah, you give us our twenty two percent rate hike, and we'll hang on and not drop anybody for a year. But come April of next year, we're gonna do this dance again. They're gonna say, oh, well, you know, we had that new fire. There'll be something else, something else will burn. We had that new fire. Oh you know that fire over the summer, and when that fire hit, well, you know we're gonna have to raise those rates.
Speaker 4: Again. We just can't afford it.
Speaker 3: You can't keep going back to our parent company for another five hundred million, I mean five hundred million here, five hundred million there. It really starts to add up what this dance is going to play out. You watch how this plays out. How frustrated I am? Why am I so grumpy today? Amy King? I should not be this grumpy too early?
Speaker 5: But you know it's Monday, all right, we're gonna give it.
Speaker 4: We're gonna give it a case on the Monday.
Speaker 2: So you're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KF I am six forty are we?
Speaker 4: Are we moving on here? Did you?
Speaker 6: Yes? I usually wait till Handle introduces that he's doing Handle on the News, which is Meryl for Handle on.
Speaker 4: Meryl on the News on Handle on the News.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, I've got this has got to cheer you up, cast a cheer and all of you.
Speaker 5: It has to cheer you up. Ted Lasso is coming.
Speaker 6: Back, in my humble opinion, best show on TV in years, and they announced that season four is on the way. They didn't say exactly when or exactly who's going to be back, but Jason sideikis of course, Yeah, so did confirm it and he's going to come back. And if you remember the end of season three when when Rebecca was presented with an idea to start up a women's soccer team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, her and Keeley, right, they were going to do the women's team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So apparently he's going to coach it because at the end of season three he went back to the States.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right. He wanted to be by his son and all that stuff. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, so I know that that Sideikis was on with the Kelsey Brothers on their podcast and he was talking about this and they asked him will it be in the United States and he said, you're asking too many.
Speaker 4: Questions and down on that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we don't know if it's back here or if he is going back there. But my understanding is that Brett Goldstein is going to come back as an executive producer. You would assume that he would be back on the show as well. That is the guy that plays Roy Kent on the program.
Speaker 5: He better be back on the shows.
Speaker 4: How do you not love it? Hannah Wattingham, I believe is coming back.
Speaker 5: They haven't confirmed. They haven't confirmed a lot of them. There's just lots of rumbling, but.
Speaker 3: I'm guessing, okay, because I'm all from you know what I love the most about ted Lasso because I agree with you, one of the best shows.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put it up.
Speaker 3: There in the UH probably the top five shows in the last ten years. And we had We've had some pretty decent programming as the streamers were kind of fighting for the last ten years, so there's been decent programming. I've said before, I think Apple puts out really good stuff.
Speaker 4: Their quality over quantity.
Speaker 3: So many the others, the Netflix and the Hulu's and the Disneys and the Paramounts and all these others, they're they're throwing out as much as they can, and there's some gems in there, don't get me wrong, but they're throwing out a ton of quantity, whereas Apple goes, let's do quality. So you end up with severance, and you end up with slow horses, and you end up with UH for all Mankind and UH in ted Lasso. So really great stuff. What I found the most in interesting about ted Lasso. And you feel free to disagree if you want, but so many shows that we think of as being really really good are kind of gritty, and there seems to be almost a it's a very real tone, but it's always people dealing with a certain darkness, whereas ted Lasso deals with his demons. But you feel better at the end of the show. You don't feel exhausted like when I watch The Bear. I'm exhausted at the end of an episode, right, I am worn out ted Lasso. I just I can't wait to see more of this guy. I can't wait to see more of these people and the things that they're dealing with and the foils and all that other stuff.
Speaker 5: I love it, Oh, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 6: And what I love to about it is there is an over overarching sense of kindness. Yeah, that you just don't get in so many shows. Like there's shows that we love like Succession, Yeah, fabulous show.
Speaker 5: Hated every single character.
Speaker 6: All horrible people, and you never left like feeling good about mankind. And I always felt good about mankind at the end of a ted Lasso.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree one hundred percent. What I loved about it the most. El Tuna, Pennsylvania. I guess the police pulled a fast one on Luigi MENGIONI. That's the dude you remember him. He shot the United Healthcare Exact. So they arrested him at the McDonald's. If you'll recall the story, he shot the EXAC and took off and then they tracked him down. They found him at this McDonald's. I think one of the McDonald's workers called him in. Didn't get a raise, but called him in just the same. So what happened was when the cops arrested him, they were trying to get his DNA, and so cops did the very copy thing and they said, okay, listen, you know, we're gonna sit down, we're gonna have a talk here, We're gonna be a while.
Speaker 4: Can I get you something to eat? You want a little snack, you want to drink.
Speaker 3: And he's like, okay, because dumb, and so he accepted the snack the snack and then they said thank you very much, and then they took the snack bag and they pulled his.
Speaker 4: DNA off of it. So it used to be that you had the right to remain silent. Now you have the right to remain hungry.
Speaker 3: If ever you're being questioned by the police, don't give them your your styrofoam coffee cup, don't accept any soda from them, and if you do get a snack, put that bag right in your pocket. Don't throw the bag in the trash because they're gonna get.
Speaker 4: Your DNA off. That is advice from me, not a lawyer, because I am not a lawyer.
Speaker 3: So but I've watched a lot of legal dramas, so safe to say my advice is probably probably pretty sound.
Speaker 4: Thanks Law and Order.
Speaker 6: Putting a little star power behind a bill is Jay Leno.
Speaker 5: It's Senate Bill seven twelve. Stay.
Speaker 6: Senator Shannon Grove from Bakersfield says they're trying to bring back the old rolling exemption for a thirty five year exemption to exclude classic cars. So the smog check exemption is for car modelsineteen seventy five and older. That's been in place since two thousand and five. But under the new proposal, any car thirty five or older would be exempted. But only bona fide classics ensured as classic cars would get the exemption, not cars used for regular transportation.
Speaker 3: Okay, so if I'm driving Grandma's Delta eighty eight from nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 4: As my daily driver, I would not get the exemption.
Speaker 5: That is that's my understanding.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, I don't know how I feel about this.
Speaker 5: They've dubbed it Leno's law.
Speaker 4: All right, help me through this. I understand why Leno supports that he.
Speaker 5: Loves classic cars and he's got one hundred of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I get it, and I'm not bagging on the guy at all.
Speaker 4: But now, let's see thirty five years older. Do the math for me.
Speaker 3: Does that mean nineteen ninety Okay, nineteen ninety was thirty five years ago?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: We put this law in place though in the eighties, right, or did we put it in place that the standards nine was two thous and five is when we put the classic car exemption into place.
Speaker 6: The slug check exemption, which has been in place since two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Okay, So my point is is that we had if you remember, I didn't grow up in southern California, but what I knew of Southern California I got from my elementary school education. And I recall them telling us about how you can't see your hand in front of your face in Los Angeles because the smog is so bad, not really exaggerating that. Then showed us photos of you know, when the smog kind of sits on top of everything and how bad it was in the eighties. Yes, So now we're saying that those cars that were from the eighties that were causing a great deal of that, that's going to be cool as long as you're ensuring them properly. A little hung up on that part of it. Little hung up on the other hand, I also think if you're doing a classic car show and you have, you know, like an eighty five Camaro, that's cool car. I want that to be able to go to the car show. So I'm torn. If I were a lawmaker, I would be a bit torn on this one. Help guide me, Amy, what am I missing?
Speaker 5: I think you got it.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that guidance, exactly what I wanted. The Democrats are in total disarray. We'll tell you just how bad things are for them right now. The direction that they maybe could go is nuts.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.