Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Dave America. I'm Dan Pfeiffer. Joining me today is former senior advisor to President Obama David Oxelron.
Speaker 2: You all know Ax.
Speaker 1: Maybe you've heard him on this pod, listen to either of his shows, Hacks on Tap or The Ax Files, or you'd likely see him on CNN. AX is an all around expert that can speak to anything in democratic politics. I asked as to come on the show because I wanted to talk to someone smart about the midterms, both what the map looks like for the Dems after a series of devastating court rulings and what he thinks of some of the candidates running up and down the ballot. I also wanted to talk to him about messaging, namely how some of the party's leading voices and likely twenty twenty eight candidates are talking about the administration and if their theories of the case are actually any good. We shared a great and wide ranging conversation, which we'll get to in a minute, but before we do. If you're a friend of the pod subscriber, which if you aren't, you should be, you can now buy tickets for this year's Crooked con There's a special pre sale just for subscribers. But if you're not a subscriber because you hate pro democracy media and love listening to podcast ads, you can buy cricket com tickets next week, starting on May nineteenth. Either way, it'll be a big fun party right after the midterms. No Member fifth to seventh in Washington, d C. Go to cricketcom dot com for more details, including how to become a friend of the pot subscriber. All right, let's get to the show. Here's David oxlrond. What about What did you make of what happened in Maine? Because that seems to be sort of indicative of a shift in the party, a shift in what people are looking for, maybe a sense of the Senate leadership or the establishment is at least in that race and not was not in touch with what the voters wanted.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of factors here. One is that I think we're in an anti establishment moment, and that's true in both parties. I think there is a real jaundice about the status quo. You know, I mentioned earlier. You know, seventy percent of people in polling say the system is rigged, is corrupt, and rigged against them. I think there is a sense that Washington, you know, when you'll remember back in the day, Dan, when Barack Obama ran. One of the reasons he won was because his campaign was a full out critique of Washington generally, not just the Republicans, but Democrats as well, and the sort of red, red, blue, who's up, who's down kind of struggle for power that had nothing to do with people's lives lives of principal concerns. I think we're back there again, and so establishment candidates are at a disadvantage. And jam Mills is a perfectly good person and served honorably, was very much the establishment candidate, and she had the she had the stamp of Senator Schumer on her to certify that she was the establishment candidate, and she was. She have been seventy nine years old when she got sworn in. So part of the other discontent people feel after two octogenarian presidents is with you know, the gerontocracy in Washington, which also speaks to establishment politics. People don't feel like the folks in Washington are in touch with their lives or focused on their lives. And I think Trump has exacerbated it because he ran contending that he was and then you know, and now we were into you know, ballrooms and monuments, and you know, graft on a scale we've never seen before. This is one place where he says, nobody's ever seen anything like this before. He's right about this, Nobody's ever seen corruption at this scale before. And so people feel betrayed, you know, you know, those who voted for him or who had some hope for him, And all of this I think makes a candidate like Platner in Maine, you know, appealing because he's a grassroots guy. He seems to be speaking the language and living the life of people who feel unrepresented. And I mean, but it was stunning the degree to which he was able to take that, you know, by storm, I mean just literally blow the incumbent governor out of the race. You know, I actually wonder a little bit if he would have been better served by her hanging around for a while.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent agree with that. You know, there was no need to start for it his for I'm not surprised Platner one. I was very frustrated at the DSCC and Shumor for endorsing Mills to begin with, for these all the reasons you said, just the idea that we were just going to decide from on high end Washington that our best chance against Susan Collins was a seventy nine year old establishment politician. And I say that someone who likes Shanet Mills and interviewed her on the shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no she's not. She's but it's just it's.
Speaker 1: The it's the model everyone rejected last time, and Platner turned out to be. You know, I certainly thought he would definitely win prior to all the online posts, and then thought he you know, he navigated that well enough to survive and then knock her out of the water. But he would have been much better off if this had gone to the just to beat her, you delay the general election by another month instead. Now he's already got negatives against him from you know, Prosy's a concert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't blame her, though. She ran out of money, and I'm not sure that she was that eager to hang around just to let him claim the trophy, you know. So the thing, one other thing I think this underscores, and you know this from your own career, don't let yourself get talked into running for an office you don't want to run for because it's never going to end well, you're not going to be an effective candidate. Uh you know, I mean Platner. By the time she dropped out, he had done I think more than fifty town hall meetings in the state She had done I think zero, you know. And if if you guys have a huge listenership. So if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me.
Speaker 1: It's a nuver closer to zero than fifty. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, there's no doubt about it. Yes, And uh, you know, you know he's hungry for this, and and he's eager for it, and he's young, and he's you know, going after it, and so getting drafted against your will is a is a bad way to enter a race. Don't back into a race.
Speaker 1: Another race the Democrats are very excited about and very interested in is Texas. Our old boss made his first campaign appearance of the cycle, getting some tacos with James tell Errico and Gina hit A hosta who's running for governor. Trump weighed in on the race on his way back from China on Air Force One. Let's take a listen to what he had to say.
Speaker 3: The Democrats have a weird A weird can today six genders. I really hate it. On Jesus, I mean, this guy his man news with his mask from relatively recently, and he's a vegan. He's a vegan. All of a sudden, he's not a vegan. He's a vegan home now, all of a sudden, he's Texas doesn't like vegans. I do believe either one of them will easily win the race. I think that the candidate the Democrats have in Texas is a very lawed, very weak. I think he's a pathetic candidate, especially for Texas.
Speaker 2: You know that that Shakespeare thinking about that doth protests too much. But you know what's interesting about the dynamic in the Republican primary is that the the folks who want John Cornyn uh there there, they'll say privately that they think taller Eco's too left for Texas. They've got plenty of stuff they can take them out. Uh, But they're not saying anything because right now, what they're saying is tall Rico can win unless we knock Paxson out of the Paxton out of the race. If Paxton wins, tallar Rico can win. Once this primary is over, they're going to open up on him, and they're going to along the contours of what Trump is saying. I'm sure he was briefed. A bunch of his guys are working on the Corning campaign, but interestingly, he has an endorsed Corning. I trust that when Tallarico went out for tacos that he had beef for chicken.
Speaker 1: Is that not a vegan as Trump?
Speaker 2: Yes, not a van not a vegan. Did he say did I hear that right? That he's bad on Jesus or something? What did he say that?
Speaker 1: He said he had a hit on Jesus, which references I think I'm guessing here, which shows I'm way too online. The great question. I think it was at the same time he said the six genders thing. I don't I don't really know, but this is there have been some clips from a speech he gave in twenty twenty I imagine or right after that, that have been going around. I think Trump has obviously seen those and he is doing it. But I'm not sure the idea that James Hillary's anti Jesus is going to sell.
Speaker 2: No. I'm sure that he would love to have that conversation directly with the president, you know, you can't like violate like many of the major ten commandments and then start going after someone else over there. Christianity, you know, I mean, I mean tall Urico is clearly very you know, serious about his faith, and that's one of the reasons he is where he is because that's translated really well. And he you know, he has he has preached the gospel of the brotherhood of man, and people who are so tired of all this conflict are responding to him. So we'll see what happens. Look, I think Texas is hard. You and I have gone through campaigns together where we held out hope for states like Missouri at one point, and and it always turned out to be fools gold. And the question is that the case here. One of the wild cards in Texas is that, you know, Trump won a solid victory there, but it was with a lot of Hispanic votes, particularly in South Texas.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The the two biggest losses in terms of support for Trump have been among Hispanics and young people. You know, Hispanic voters. I think they're very sensitive to economic issues. There are a working class constituency in the main UH and I think the the in South Texas, I think they were eager for border border control, they weren't eager to be racially profiled. And I think because of all the stuff that Ice has done, combined with the economic stuff, he has completely delta way the advantages that he gained among Hispanic voters. That puts Texas more in play. It also means that they're probably not going to capture all the seats they thought they were going to capture when they jerry mandered the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Texas is interesting. I think Tallarico is a uniquely talented candidate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very good.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: I think if anyone can do it, it's James Talerico in this year, particularly against Paxton. He you know, the the Latino numbers you print out are very notable. Pew as a poll out today which shows that Trump's appropriating among Latino Trump voters is down thirty points since election Day twenty twenty four, which is you know that that's a big chunk of voters. You know, we saw this in the primary. Right, it's a primary, but tall Rico got more primary votes than Kamala Harriscott votes in you know, sometimes my Magicatuto two or three and some of these Rio Grand Valley counties, she got two or three times number votes Kama Harris gott on election day in twenty twenty four. So there's obviously some persuasions. And this is not just turn out. There's some persuasion happening here because a lot of these people, these these Latinos that voted for Trump were registered Democrats. So it's interesting.
Speaker 2: No, I was going to say, just on the Hispanic issue, I think one of the reasons Trump Trump is harping on him and you know in Christ is that I think it's very advantageous for Talla Rico to be able to go into churches across Texas, including Hispanic churches, and as fluent as he is in scripture. And so I think Trump is trying to chip away, chip away at that.
Speaker 1: What were you going to say, I was going to say, I was gonna ask you about the decision to have Obama comeing to Texas for him, like and is a race where he's got to win. You know, Trump won Texas by thirteen. I think he's got to get a bunch of people to pull the lever for Trump to vote for him. Do you think springing Obama was a good move.
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't seen his numbers in Texas, but my guess is that looking at his numbers nationally, they're not they're not bad. And there is a you know, Obama's not campaigning that much for candidates at this juncture. I'm sure you will, but there is a stature thing. It kind of elevates uh tall Rico in the race, and he may just want to, you know, because of the whole vagan thing. As you said, Trump said, maybe he just wanted a guy who really appreciated a good beef taco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I look, I think also, I imagine I'd have to look at it, imagine that Obama's numbers with Latino voters, even Latino voters who voted for Trump, are quite good. And so with like Tallerco's smart, his campaigns be run by smart people. They're they're not just doing this because it's good for TikTok views, like they obviously have look at their data that suggests that with their target voters, Obama is a plus and the other. It's not like there are a bunch of Republicans who are going to stay home because they're mad at Trump and all the sudden back. Obama shows up for Tacos one day in May, like, okay, we're turning out.
Speaker 2: One last thing on this. I mean, one of the reasons Trump's going after tall Ico is because it seems pretty clear that he's decided to stay out of this race. There was a presumption that he was going to endorse John Cornyn as the most likely candidate to win. He's now been convinced that either of them can win. But the Paxton question is really an open one because he's a guy who's absolutely freighted with scandal, and while he's very popular with the Republican base, he could be very vulnerable with some traditional Republican voters in the suburbs around the big cities there. I don't think Obama's going to play badly with those voters. I don't think it's going to hurt Tallarico to have him there with those with those voters. So we'll see. But I will say, I mean, because of the Fool's gold ps PTSD, I have, you know, I'm looking, you know, I look at Iowa, for example, and I'm wondering, is Iowa ultimately going to be a better shot than Texas? Is Alaska? With Mary Peltola and the rank choice voting system against a very weak incumbent in Sullivan. Does that give you a better chance. Here's the thing when you know you have to win a couple of states where Trump won by double digits in any case, and you want as many opportunities as possible, So Democrats can turn to Alaska, to Iowa, to Texas even and I think it's the longest of them, but even Nebraska, you know, where you have an independent candidate supported by Democrats who did very well in a Trump landslide last time against Ricketts, the senator, the Incombing senator, former governor. You know, I think that there's a better than fifty to fifty chance that Democrats can piece it together, assuming that the wave is what we think the wave could be. And remember the wave is more important in these Senate races. You know, they may piece districts together to hold down the House margin, but statewide, you know harder.
Speaker 4: Podsea of America is brought to you by Fast Growing Trees. Fast Growing Trees is America's largest online nursery, with thousands of trees and plants for every space and every climate, and they make it easy to get plants that actually work for your yard, delivered right to your door. Okay, we can sense a little skepticism about ordering live vegetation online. Joina skeptical. But the proof is in the planting, sure is, they said to their line was the proof is in the plants. No, no, No, proof is in the pudding. So the proof is in the planting. You're right, Tommy, I nailed that. Fast Growing Trees that punch up was free has shipping plants onto a literal science. Every plant is handpicked and carefully inspected, and their packaging is designed specifically to keep them secure in transit so they don't get damaged. They even have a lab where they test the best packaging materials to protect against cold, heat, humidity, and more so, when your plants arrived, they look like you just bought them at the local nursery. Plus, every order is backed by their alive and thrive guarantee, so in the off chance you have issues with the delivery, you are covered right now. Fast Growing Trees has deals on spring planting essentials and listeners. To get an additional twenty percent off your first order with a code crooked at checkout. That's twenty percent off at Fast Growing Trees dot Com with the code Crooked. Terms and conditions may apply.
Speaker 5: Today's show is sponsored by Strawberry dot Me. Thinking about switching jobs? Oh no, I was not expecting that. I'm going to ask yourself these questions.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 5: Am I growing or showing No, I'm one. Am I growing or just repeating the same experience over?
Speaker 2: Definitely the latter.
Speaker 1: That's a tough one.
Speaker 6: OK.
Speaker 4: Let's go to two.
Speaker 5: Do I feel energized by my work? Or am I constantly drained in counting the hours until it's over?
Speaker 7: Boy?
Speaker 4: I feel very I feel drained. It's choice Friday.
Speaker 5: Do I know what my next career move should be? Or am I just hoping something better shows up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean yeah.
Speaker 5: If you think it might be time for change, you should talk to a career coach. Through Strawberry dot me.
Speaker 2: They can get me on Rogan.
Speaker 4: Their coaches work with.
Speaker 5: You one on one to understand your strain, identify your gaps, and build a clear roadmap toward a career you're actually excited about, Like when Tommy appears on Tucker Carlson's and takes over for him. Because the biggest risk isn't making the wrong move it's staying stuck without a plan. Take control of your future at Strawberry dot me slash cricket today and get fifty percent off your first coaching session. That's Strawberry dot me slash Cricket.
Speaker 1: What about What did you make of what happened in Maine? Because that seems to be sort of indicative of a shift in the party, a shift in what people are looking for, maybe a sense of the Senate leadership or the establishment is at least in that race, and that was not in touch with the voters wanted.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of factors here. One is that I think we're in an anti establishment moment, and that's true in both parties. I think there is a real jaundice about the status quo. You know, I mentioned earlier. You know, seventy percent of people in polling say the system is corrupt and rigged against them. I think there is a sense that Washington. You know, when you'll remember back in the day, Dan, when Barack Obama ran, one of the reasons he won was because his campaign was a full out critique of Washington generally, not just the Republicans, but Democrats as well, and the sort of red red blue, Who's up, Who's down? Kind of struggle for power that had nothing to do with people's lives. Lives are print concerns. I think we're back there again, and so establishment candidates are at a disadvantage. And jam Mills is a perfectly good person and has served honorably. Was very much the establishment candidate, and she had the she had the stamp of Senator Schumer on her to certify that she was the establishment candidate, and she was. She would have been seventy nine years old when she got sworn in. So part of the other discontent people feel after two octogenarian presidents is with you know, the gerontocracy in Washington, which also speaks to establishment politics. People don't feel like the folks in Washington are in touch with their lives or focused on their lives. And I think Trump has exacerbated it because he ran contending that he was and then you know, and now we were into you know, ballrooms and monuments and you know, graft on a scale we've never seen before. This is one place where he says, nobody's ever seen anything like this before. He's right about this, Nobody's ever seen corruption at this scale before. And so people feel betrayed, you know, you know, those who voted for him or who had some hope for him, And all of this I think makes a candidate like Platner in Maine, you know, appealing because he's a grassroots guy. He seems to be speaking the language and living the life of people who feel unrepresented. And I mean, but it was stunning the degree to which he was able to take that, you know, by storm, I mean just literally blow the incumbent governor out of the race. You know, I actually wonder a little bit if he would have been better served by her hanging around for a while.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent agree with that there was no need to start for it his for I'm not surprised Platner won. I was very frustrated at the DSCC and tumor for endorsing Mills to begin with, for these other reasons. You said, just the idea that we were just going to decide from on high in Washington that our best chance against Susan Collins was a seventy nine year old establishing politician. And I say that someone who likes Shannet Mills and interviewed her on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Joe, No, she's not. She's but it's just it's the.
Speaker 1: It's the model everyone rejected last time, and Platner turned out to be. You know, I certainly thought he would definitely win prior to all the online posts, and then thought he you know, he navigated that well enough to survive and then knock her out of the water. But he would have been much better off if this had gone to the ends to beat her, you delay the general election by another month instead. Now he's already got negatives against him from you know, prosus a consumper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't blame her, though she ran out of money, and I'm not sure that she was that eager to hang around just to let him claim the trophy, you know. So the thing one other thing I think this underscores, and you know this from your own career, don't let yourself get talked into running for an office you don't want to run for because it's never going to end well. You're not going to be an effective candidate, you know, I mean Platner. By the time she dropped out, he had done I think more than fifty town hall meetings in the state. She had done I think zero, you know, and if if you guys have a huge listenership. So if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me.
Speaker 1: It's a number closer to zero than fifty. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, there's no doubt about it. Yes, And you know, you know he's hungry for this and and he's eager for it, and he's young, and he's you know, going after it, and so getting drafted against your will is a is a bad way to enter a race. Don't back into a race.
Speaker 1: Another race the Democrats are very excited about and very interested in is Texas. Our old boss made his first campaign appearance of the cycle, getting some tacos with James tell Rico and Gina hit, a host who's running for governor. Trump wided on the race on his way back from China on Air Force One. Let's take a listen to what he had to say.
Speaker 3: The Democrats have a weird a weird can today, six genders, a real hate on Jesus. Yeah, I mean this guy his bad news with his mask from relatively recently. And he's a vegan. He's a vegan. All of a sudden, he's not a vegan. He's a vegan hole now, all of a sudden. He said, Texas doesn't like vegans. I do believe either one of them will easily win the race. And I think that the candidate the Democrats have in Texas is a very flawed, very weak. I think he's a pathetic candidate, especially for.
Speaker 2: You know that that Shakespeare thinking about that doc protests too much. But you know what's interesting about the dynamic in the Republican primary is that the folks who want John cornynh there, they'll say privately that they think tall Ico's too left for Texas. They've got plenty of stuff they can take them out, but they're not saying anything because right now, what they're saying is tall Ico can win unless we knock Paxton out of the Paxton out of the race. If Paxton wins, tall Ico can win. Once this primary is over, they're going to open up on him and they're going to along the contours of what Trump is saying. I'm sure he was briefed. A bunch of his guys are working on the Corning campaign. But interestingly, he has an endorsed Cornin. I trust that when Tallarico went out for tacos that he had beefer chicken.
Speaker 1: Is that not a vegan as Trump, Yes, not a vagan talking.
Speaker 2: About not a vegan. Did he say did I hear that right? That he's bad on Jesus or something? What did he say that?
Speaker 1: He said he had a hit on Jesus, which references I think I'm guessing here, which shows I'm way too online. The great question. I think it was at the same time he said the six genders thing. I don't I don't really know, but this is there have been some clips from a speech he gave in twenty twenty I imagine or right after that that had been going around. I think Trump has obviously seen those and he is doing it. But I'm not sure the idea that James Hillary goes anti Jesus is going to sell.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sure that he would love to have that conversation directly with the president. You know, you can't like violate like many of the major ten commandments and then start going after someone else over there. Christianity, you know, I mean, I I mean tall Rico is clearly very you know, serious about his faith and that's one of the reasons he is where he is because that's translated really well and he you know, he has he has preached the gospel of the brotherhood of man, and people who are so tired of all this conflict are responding to him. So we'll see what happens. Look, I think Texas is hard. You and I have gone through campaigns together where we held out hope for states like Missouri at one point, and it always turned out to be fools gold. And the question is that the case here. One of the wild cards in Texas is that, you know, Trump won a solid victory there, but it was with a lot of Hispanic votes, particularly in South Texas. The two biggest losses in terms of support for Trump have been among Hispanics and young people. You know, Hispanic voters. I think they're very sensitive to economic issues. There were a working class constituency in the main uh and I think that the U in South Texas. I think they were eager for border border control. They weren't eager to be racially profiled. And h I think because of all the stuff that Ice has done, combined with the economic stuff, he has completely dealt away the advantages that he gained among Hispanic voters. That puts Texas more in play. It also means that they're probably not going to capture all the seats they thought they were going to capture when they jerry mandered the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Texas is interesting. I think Talarriico is a uniquely talented candidate.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's very good. He is, he is. I think if anyone can do it, it's James Talerico in this year, particularly against Paxton. He you know, they his The Latino numbers you print out are very notable. P has a phole out today which shows that Trump's rating among Latino Trump voters is down thirty points since election day twenty twenty four, which is you know that that's a big chunk of voters. You know, we saw this in the primary. Right, it's a primary, but tall Rico got more primary votes than Kamala Harriscott votes. And you know sometimes I Matigntuto two or three and some of these Rio Grand Valley counties she got two or three times time votes Kamala Harriscott on election day in twenty twenty four. So there's obviously some persuasions and this is not just turn out. There's some persuasion happening here because a lot of these people, these these Latinos have voted for Trump were registered Democrats. So it's it's interesting now.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, just on the Hispanic issue, I think one of the reasons Trump Trump is harping on him and you know in Christ is that I think it's very advantageous for tall Rico to be able to go into churches across Texas, including Hispanic churches and as flu as he is in scripture. And so I think Trump is trying to chip away, chip away at that.
Speaker 1: What were you going to say, I was going to say, I was going to ask you about the decision to have Obama come to Texas for him, Like, is a race where he's got to win. You know, Trump won Texas by thirteen. I think he's got to get a bunch of people who pull the lever for Trump to vote for him. Do you think springing Obama was a good move?
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't seen his numbers in Texas, but my guess is that looking at his numbers nationally, they're not They're not bad. And there is a you know, Obama's not campaigning that much for candidates at this juncture. I'm sure you will, but there is a stature thing. It kind of elevates uh Tallarico in the race, and he may just want to, you know, because of the whole vagan thing. As you said, Trump said, maybe he just wanted a guy who really appreciated a good beef taco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I look, I think I think also, I imagine I'd have to look at it. I imagine that Obama's numbers with Latino voters, even Latino voters who've voted for Trump, are quite good. And so with like Tylerico's smart, his campaigns be run by smart people. They're they're not just doing this because it's good for TikTok views, like they obviously look at their data to suggests that with their target voters, Obama is a plus and the other. It's not like there are a bunch of Republicans who are going to stay home because they're mad a Trump and all the sudden back Obama shows up for tacos one day in May, like, okay, we're turning out.
Speaker 2: One last thing on this. I mean. One of the reasons Trump's going after tall Rico is because it seems pretty clear that he's decided to stay out of this race. There was a presumption that he was going to endorse John Cornyn as the most likely candidate to win. He's now been convinced that either of them can win. But the Paxton question is really an open one because he's a guy who's absolutely freighted with scandal, and while he's very popular with the republic and base, he could be very vulnerable with some traditional Republican voters in the suburbs around the big cities there. I don't think Obama's going to play badly with those voters. I don't think it's going to hurt Tallery to have them there with those with those voters. So we'll see. But I will say, I mean, because of the Fool's Gold ps PTSD, I have, you know, I'm looking, you know, I look at Iowa for example, and I'm wondering, is Iowa ultimately going to be a better shot than Texas is Alaska with Mary Peltola and the rank choice voting system against a very weak incumbent in Sullivan? Does that give you a better chance. Here's the thing. When you you know you have to win a couple of states where Trump won by double digits in any case, and you want as many opportunities as possible. So Democrats can turn to a law to Iowa to Texas even and I think it's the longest of them, but even Nebraska, you know, where you have an independent candidate supported by Democrats who did very well in a Trump landslide last time against Ricketts, the senator, the incumbent senator, former governor. You know, I think that there's a better than fifty to fifty chance that Democrats can piece it together, assuming that the wave is what we think the wave could be. And remember, the wave is more important in these Senate races. You know, they may peace districts together to hold down the House margin, but statewide, you know, harder.
Speaker 4: Positive America is brought to you by Tommy John. What do you love about Tommy John. Well, it's not just the surgery anymore. You know what it is, not just your two hosts right here. It's yes, it's an Undies brand, that's right, and they actually love they have all kinds of actually undergarments to get t shirts and all sorts of great stuff. They Well, here's what you like about Tommy John. Their underwear. They're soft and they're durable, they're breathable, and they're lightweight for all day comfort. Suffocating no, no, They've got a curved pouch. It's designed for comfort and control. The support and flatter your natural shape. You feel your there's your natural shape. Flatter It flatters the hell out of what I got. The stay put waistband and chairs. Your Tommy John's won't roll, bunch, pinch, or leave marks, and their unique quick draw fly provides a horizontal opening for fast, easy access when nature calls. Here's the thing about Tommy John. I bet you have sitting in your drawer right now a bunch of old, disgusting underwear that is like a year past its prime. This is what you do. You go to the drawer, you take the underwear, you throw it out, you put it all in the trash, and then you go to Tommy John dot com and you buy it all again. Maybe you buy it first, wait till it arrives, then throughout your other underwear, else your Otherwise you're gonna be a commando for the period.
Speaker 2: Here's what you do.
Speaker 4: Go to Tommy John dot com today save twenty five percent off your first order with the code Crooked Comfort Perfected. Just use code crooked at check out and upgrade your essentials today Tommy john dot com save twenty five percent on your first order with the code crooked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the SENTI map is I mean, it's challenging, and so it's kind of shocking and it says everything that we'd be sitting here now and you'd say it's a coin flip that we take the senator. Maybe even a little bit better than a coin flip when I look at it, you just if you're just doing like most likely scenarios, Like I'm sure I would probably pick Alaska of the Texas, Ohio, Iowa, Alaska. Probably I'd pick Alaska just because of the fact that Mary Pottol was one in that state before there is ranked choice voting. Dan Sullivan is particularly unpopular. And then you know, I think maybe Ohio, Yeah, and then the other so I think Ohio.
Speaker 2: I you know, shared Brown came pretty close last time, as Trump was carrying the state by double digits, and he's running against the senator who was appointed, who's never run on his own statewide, and who doesn't have a you know, a huge image in the state. So he's going to be more associated with Trump just by dint of of having no real profile. I mean, he'll try and be He was DeWine's guy. He'll try and run that way, but he can't run away from Trump. Trump won't allow him. And it's very hard, as you know, to run away from an incumbent president anyway, So you know, and shared shared Brown was was a economic populist before economic populism was cool. So I think, you know, I'm not sure that I would rate Alaska over Ohio, but I think that the most likely combination if Democrats are to take the Senate would be North Carolina, Maine, Ohio, and Alaska.
Speaker 1: I'm sort of stipulating Maine in North Carolina as must wins because winning three of the other four is hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he platter is going to you saw a David French wrote a very tough column in the New York Times this week about him, and I mean not that people read that, but that was the tenor of what he You know, they're going to go back at him with more ferocity. And but Susan Collins, you know, after all this time and given the nature of the Times, is is a is a really vulnerable candidate, you know, So we'll see for all the reasons we discussed earlier.
Speaker 1: It's Susan Collins thing is interesting because she has been like she is a Republican in a state the Democrats win by nine points. Should beat her, should have beaten her in twenty twenty. She's very tough to beat. She's been fortunate enough to be able to avoid some of the worst votes this time around because of the Senate margin.
Speaker 2: They cut her loose to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she didn't have to vite for over the beautiful bill. She got to take a pass on some of the worst cabinet appointments. But she still is a republican democratic state and one who represents status quo. You know, it's gonna be a very fascinating race. And the question is, you know, you and I both know the folks working on that race is ken Platner with staying what will be a massive amount of scrutiny, some of it from his own side, because the people a pretty pissed about how this race played out and every possible dollar dumped on his head with some of the nastiest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, I think you know time, time will tell about that. Yeah. I heard someone told me about a focus group in that state, and someone was talking about Susan Collins and they said she's bipartis she's only bipartisan when it doesn't count. Uh, And I think that's something that some of a lot of voters there kind of into it. And you know, she didn't vote for all of Trump's Supreme Court nominees, but she voted for some.
Speaker 1: But he's the ones accounted for sure.
Speaker 2: As it pointed out to someone that's you know, you can you can remove a tattoo, but you can't remove a Supreme Court justice. So you know that we'll see how they goes. It'll be a fascinating, fascinating race. But I'm assuming that that Platner wins the race in the end.
Speaker 1: That's that's my hope for sure. You know, both in the House in the Senate, everyone keeps saying that the campaigns about affordability, affordability, affordability, affordability, Like obviously just saying the word affordability is not actually a message. Although you know, some Democrats have the habit of reading the stage diructions instead of the script, and so they're just saying affordability. Ever, again, is a message around affordability and not this need to be bigger than that. What do you think Democrats should be saying, well, I think I think that we have structural issues in our economy.
Speaker 2: We've got the affordability issue is hitting people hard, but people have been you know, kind of bobbing in the water and not gaining for a long time, and the polarity in our economy gets worse, and AI is going to turbocharge that, at least in the short run, maybe in the long run. And I really think I don't know that it's necessary to win in November. There are there are discrete things you could propose in order to win it in this November, But as I said, it's largely a referendum. Anybody who runs for president better have a much bigger vision about how you reform a system that was broken before. I've always you know, I think it's a mistake to assume that when you run in twenty eight that the message could be We're just going to kind of restore everything that Trump knocked down, because people weren't that happy with the system before he knocked it down. I mean, they didn't feel they were being well served, and you know, they felt the system was corrupt, they felt was rigged against them, they felt that they weren't getting ahead and that's you know, it requires big structural kinds of answers that you know, to not only to to put some equity into the system, but also to genuinely try and reform a system that is you know, since our you remember when our boss warned people about Citizens United in twenty ten and Justice Alito was deeply offended by that and shook his head on the floor. Everything he said has happened. I mean, we are awash in money and dark money and pernicious influence, and it's it all conspires against working people. So campaign finance reform is really important. We also have to think, I think democrats. You know, what strikes me, Dan is that we have this battle going on between the great ideas of the nineteenth century and the great ideas of the twentieth century. You know, you know, tariffs and no civil service and so on from the nineteenth century, and then you know sort of ROOSEVELTI and structures in the twentieth century. And we're in the twenty first century, and we ought to be thinking about how do we solve the problems of today using the tools of today, and not be wetted to the old ways of doing things, be wetted to creating a country in which people can work hard and get ahead, and where we can deal with some of our most pressing problems. But don't assume that the way we approach them in the twentieth century is necessarily the way we have to approach them now. I think there's a lot of room for a genuinely reform oriented candidate who has some vision for the future to move this country. I also, now you put the quarter in, you're getting ten plays.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: But you know, I've been thinking a lot about this election, and no two elections are alike. But if you were going to say, well, what is this election most like, it goes back to one that you will not remember but I do, which is the election of nineteen seventy six. Who's the first election I ever voted in, when right after Watergate, and the country was stunned by what happened in Watergate, by the corruption of Richard Nixon, and and by the way, you know, there was a real politicization of the Justice Department of the CIA of a lot of these I mean, it was it was somewhat analogous to what we're facing today. People wanted a cleansing. They wanted to give Washington in an angioplasty. They wanted a fresh start, and that's how Jimmy Carter emerged. In nineteen seventy six. No one would have known who Jimmy Carter was at this point, and he became the nominee of the party and he won. I don't know who that person is, but I think that two things. Qualities of character are going to be very important. Empathy, decency, honesty, integrity, humility, all the qualities that Trump doesn't have are going to be prized in twenty twenty eight. And the second thing is I think being an outsider who's willing to really challenge orthodoxy in Washington, challenge the institutions on behalf of people is going to be a candidate who's well received.
Speaker 1: This is a perfect segue to what I want to get to because we're gonna have a little fun here. I'm going to play some clips from some twenty eight potential twenty eight contenders and get your take on them, but as messengers what they're saying. But before we get to that, I want to you sat down with AOC at the Institute of Politics before a live audience one of her answers went quite viral. I'm going to play it for audience. I'm gonna ask you about it.
Speaker 7: It was very clear this was a veiled threat. Right, So the elite saying, if you want this job, you just stepped out of line. They assumed that my ambition is positional. They assume that my ambition is a title or a seat, And my ambition is way bigger than that. My ambition is to change this country. Presidents come and go, Senate House seats, selected officials come and go. But single payer health cares forever, a living wage is forever, workers rite for forever, women's right.
Speaker 1: So a couple of questions on this. Did that answer was a worsh ark test for people about whether she was going to run for president or not run for president. I wanted to see what do you how did you take that? Do you think that means she's planning on running for president and planning run for the Senate doesn't yet know?
Speaker 2: First of all, let me say I thought it was a really powerful answer. You know, I heard Favreau say the other day that if you want to run for president, you better know what you believe, and what she was saying there is. I'm not in politics for a job. I'm in politics for goals that might impact positively on people's lives, the kind of people who I grew up with, the kind of people live all over this country. And I think she really means it, and I think that authenticity is really powerful. That said, if you you know, she said other things in this answer and elsewhere in this kind of conversation that made me think she really isn't hungering for that job. And if I were her, what I would be thinking is I want to have an impact, and I'm not ready to sideline myself. The chances of anyone getting elected president, no matter how good they are, are limited. And you know, she's thirty six years old. Now, she'll be thirty eight. She could walk into that Senate seat in New York. And interestingly, with this crowd of young people, I said, you know, some people would like to see you run for president, and a bunch of them cheered, and I said, others would like to see you run for Senator Schumer's seat in New York. Louder cheers.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell they were cheering for her to run for senator or cheering for the fact that you said Schumer was up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was definitely a combination of those two things. You know, she's got a high class problem here. She'd get a lot of votes if she ran for president. But I think the way I interpret what she said is I'm going to go where I think I can continue this fight for those things that I believe in and have the most impact I can have right now. And that led me to conclude that she is more likely headed to the Senate race than to the presidential race. I mean nothing, she told me nothing, but was reading between the lines. I would be more surprised if she ran for president than if she ran for the Senate. And you and I both know that she would not be one of one hundred if she went to the Senate. She you know, she would. You know, when Barack Obama went to the Senate, he was you know, number whatever, ninety nine, ninety eight in the Senate, but he was not the ninety eighth member of the Senate. People were always interested in what he had to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she I have seen. I worked for as you have as well, worked for many politicians who were planning to run for president. Who got this question for the years releading up to the actual announcement, and the general approach is to just start muttering words until the until the the question Sto's paying attention, and they're terrible at it. And this is the mean, I say this, without any hesitation, the best answer I've ever seen if anyone asked that question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well, you know, I mean, it really does help to be motivated by doing something, then by being something. I mean, the world of politics devising these into these two cohorts. The people who run because they want to be something, and that's the larger cohort, and then the smaller, more admirable and the more impactful cohort are the people who run for office because they want to do something. And that doesn't mean they don't have personal ambition, but but you really, you know, honestly, I would say this anybody runs for president. It's too damn hard to do it. I don't mean just to win, but it's such an arduous thing to do. Don't do it unless you know why you're doing it, and just you know, and if you think that it's such a prize to live in a gilded prison, you're making a mistake. You know, no one ever will no one ever will feel sorry for a president of the United States. But you do change your life forever, and it's not all positive. I mean, you basically give up your you know, a lot to do it. I you know, I think I'm not saying that she won't run, and I'm not saying that she won't run some day, but based on what I heard, and if I were betting on it, I would bet that she's going to the one place and not the other.
Speaker 1: I had the same impression that she was, that he clearly the people who have wanted to be president since they were seventeen years old. She said, thats it's obviously the answer. And she's clearly not one of those people.
Speaker 2: She said that. She said, I'm not one of these people who have been planning my my, you know, planning my campaign for an office since I was seven, seven years old, she said, you know, you we all remember her when she the night she got elected to or nominated to the Congress, and she was in her headquarters in a billiards hall and the Bronx with some supporters around her, with her hand over her mouth and her eyes wide open, watching these returns come in. She was as surprised as anybody.
Speaker 1: Whatever she decides. When I think when she first came to Congress, she was clearly one of the best communicators in terms of how you communicate, Like she understood the modern media environment better than almost anyone in Congress, which is not saying a ton but you know, she's doing Instagram live, she's on social media. She knows how to do it. But I think in the last couple of years she's also become the best, one of the best messengers in the party. Like about what she actually says like is very it's very powerful.
Speaker 2: And her she came there, she was the youngest woman ever elected to the House. I think we've watched her mature as a political leader during those eight years. I think that process is ongoing, you know, and I think she knows that too. But she's an impressive person. The reason that she is so good, Yes, she knows how to use social media and modern media. But the thing that you can't teach and the thing you can't buy, is the ability to communicate authentically and to give people a sense that you're talking honestly with them. That's what great, great political leaders do, and she has that quality. So that's a hell of a thing to build on.
Speaker 5: Potzeve America is brought to you by Built. We can all agree that housing is expensive. Rent, mortgage doesn't matter which one you're paying. It stings every month. Sounds like the California debates. We've been watching governors speriously. But Built can make it feel a little better. Let me explain. Built started out rewarding members on their rent. Now, as of twenty twenty six, Built members can also earn points on mortgage payments wherever they live. Every housing payment earns you points. You can use toward flights with top travel partners like United and Hyatt, lift rides, Amazon dot Com purchases so much more. You can use it for fitness classes. You can use it for parking. There's gift cards at over one hundred and twenty brands. You can use it for as a down payment on a home, student loan balances, a different restaurants. But here's what I think is the most underrated part doill Members also get access to a neighborhood concierge. It can make restaurant reservations, book fitness classes, and find new local spots, all while being rewarded at more than forty five thousand Merchant Partners. It's like having a personal assistant baked in to where you live.
Speaker 4: I don't think you should bake your personal assistant.
Speaker 5: I don't think so either, But I would like a neighborhood neighborhood concierge.
Speaker 4: That would be nice. I wondered you could use your built points from your rent to go to a restaurant before you go see rent? Oh wow, physical. So do you see in Boston like I did when you were in like middle school?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did.
Speaker 4: It was like the only play I'd seen in my life. That one song. That's all I've grasped from that, The Candle's one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's simple anyway, what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Build? Yeah, there it is, there it is.
Speaker 5: It's a math problem. It's simple being a renter and now owning a home is better with built. Join the membership for where you live at join built dot com, slash crooked. That's j O I N B I L T dot com slash crooked. Make sure to use r U r L so they know we sent you.
Speaker 1: M All right, let's let's watch some other people see what it suits you think about. I'm gonna start with John asoff who may or may not run for presidenty, but he's only has to win re election to Georgia. First, let's take a look at one of his recent rally is.
Speaker 8: How does American politics really work? It's coin operated money, goes in, favors come out. It's been running on secret money, corporate money, billionaire money. Both sides, both sides, Citizens United. Was the worst court decision in modern American history.
Speaker 2: From my Hymn book there, Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: What do you think about him as a communicator?
Speaker 2: You know, he's a great communicator. I haven't seen him as most of the time when I see him, he's behind a podium. Uh. And you know there are other elements of communication, and I haven't seen a lot of that. Although I just spoke to someone someone you and I both know who saw him at an event. You may have been at the same event because I think it was out West, and said he was really really good and kind of off the cuff interaction with people and so on. Listen, I take him seriously, you know, if you if you believe what I said earlier about the kind of candidate who will do well, he checks a lot of those boxes and he hasn't been even though he is a senator, he has not been there long enough to be sort of corrupted in people's minds as a kind of fact, as a practitioner of inside the beltwegh politics, which he is not. So you know, I mean as a quick turnaround, he's young, but I think youth also is an advantage in this election because after two presidents who were in their eighties, I think people are going to be really looking for a more youthful candidate.
Speaker 1: You raise an interesting point, because I think he is the best speech giver that I've seen in a while. He you know, there's a whole generation of politicians sort of raised on Obama who speak like Obama, and I think he does the best. Like you can see it in the tone. You know, he has some of the same pause, as the same cadence, but it doesn't look like Obama karaoke, which something.
Speaker 2: Apparently Yeah, yeah, we've seen that too. He apparently does a lot of writing, you know, Obama. You know, he had great speech writers. You work with some of them, but they would tell you that, you know, they would give him a product that was in good shape and then he would buff it up or add things that took it from one level to the next. And he because of that, he was familiar, he felt organic to the copy he was reading. So I think he has he has that. But the other thing that people don't appreciate about Obama, and you would because you travel around with him, like you know those eighty seven days we spent in Iowa where he was you know, doing six eight you know, stops a day more, even in small venues, interacting with people. He was very good at that. You know, you have to Running for president is a decathlon. It's not just one event. So you can be great at you know, pole vaulting, but you still have to you know, throw the javelin. And so the test of campaigns is how do you do all do you do all the events well enough to win? So I don't know that about us off, but he's certainly a promising, promising politician.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see him, you know, I mean this is a very selfer refar. I want to say, but like, what, like, can you pass the podcast test? Can he sitting like shoot, like I was just watching a clip of a bomb. Well, I mean, well he's been on our podcast. He's done fine. But it's like, it's not really, can you come on positive America, hacks on topics, can you go on Rogan or all? You can you relate to people on a cultural, personal level, that's not just politics.
Speaker 2: The test that Vice President Harris wouldn't take.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all right, let's do the next one is some unfamiliar to all of us. Pete, But to judge there is.
Speaker 9: A powerful American majority for change and for the things we believe in, because right now you got this administration that's created the illusion that their positions are supported by most Americans, and it's just not true. Most Americans agree that we should be taxing the wealthy more, not giving giant task cuts to billion Most Americans think it is no that we're being told we can't have nice things like rural hospitals and good roads and fully funded public schools. At the same time that you've got billionaires paying a lower tax rate than the nurses in those hospitals and the workers who work on those roads, and the teachers who teach in those schools.
Speaker 2: What do you make a peek well look in many I've said this before. He is as bright and thoughtful as anybody I've I've seen since Barack Obama in terms of his ability to sort of think in interesting ways and positive arguments in ways that really are clear and thoughtful. And he's he's a very very talented guy. And I really I like him a lot. I mean, and I think he's underrated in this, you know. I mean when you hear conversations, he's not people don't talk about him, but you know, every time you look at a poll and some of its name recognition, yes, but he's he's well regarded by Democrats, and the things he's articulating out there kind of they square up with some of the things I'm saying. He's talking about renewal, not restoration. He's talking about reform, you know, like basic fundamental reforms. You know. Now, you know, I don't know whether experience of the Biden administration is advantageous or not. Maybe not.
Speaker 1: I guess net neutral at best, my guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I wonder. I haven't never had this conversation with him, whether if he had to do it all over again, whether he would have opted for that he might be in better position than he was. You know, there's always this question about an openly gay man running. Is America Wave for that. And look, the one thing that he did not prove in twenty twenty was that he could win black votes. And that is a really essential task for anybody to get through this process. You know, Black voters in the South in particular are really really important. And so you know, there are there are questions, but the talent is is undeniable. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think PiZZ and Chrop is smart. I saw him an event recently and he just he's so good off the coff He's so good answering questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he does the pod, he passes the pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all those things. The thing that was always the I think, not like the black voters is like the mass you can't it's just im you can't win the math as such, with primaries across the South, the way delegates rellocated, there's no way to do it. That's why Obama one, It's why Hillary. But the thing about Pete's communication in twenty twenty was it always felt to me like a little bit at a remove, like he was so good and so polished that you know, it's just like there was this distance between.
Speaker 2: I think, really, I think it's an important observation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I will say when he was on CNBC a few weeks ago and he was arguing with Joe cernin I thought it was some of the best people Like people will go on He'll he'll get every word exactly right on Fox News and he'll stuff shun handing into a verbial locker or whatever else, and it's incredible. But he when he was almost Joe Curna, like, he showed like a real he was so frustrated and so angered by the stupidity of in the unfairness of what Crinan was saying that it was really was like a that was one of his most authentic moments. I thought it was quite quite good and I think maybe indicative, Like his life has changed a lot since twenty twenty. Right, He's had he's got married, he's got kids, he's like been he's been through times, and so I think, you know, I think I'll I'll be very interested to see how he's involved Candida this time around, because if so, he was real potential and he benefits from the fact the New Hampshire is probably the first state and it's a place where he has a great base of strength.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and continues to poll well, uh, don't underestimate the value of having run the track before. You know, he knows, or just to use another sports analogy, he knows the lay of the Greens. And running for president is not like running for any other office. So he knows the pressures of it, he knows the cadence of it. He knows, he knows this stuff. That is a valuable asset.
Speaker 1: All right, let's look at Andy Basher, the governor of Kentucky.
Speaker 6: You've seen how some of this speak has crept into the Democratic Party, and we sound like we're talking down to people. We've got to talk to people and not at them. You know, Kentucky got hit by that opioid epidemic as hard as anybody, but maybe West Virginia. I mean, we've all lost people we love and care about. I didn't lose one to substance use disorder. I lost them all to addiction. If we want to push back against this president and what he's doing to snap, trying to hold hungry people hostage for political gain, it can't be that they'll be food insecurity. It's got to be that they'll go hungry. We got to communicate to people in the values that they know and how they would talk to each other.
Speaker 1: Electability is obviously going to be a huge issue for Democrats, as it was in twenty twenty. No one has a better electability story than Yeah, this year, what do you make of him?
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, again, going back to the things I told you before, I mean, you have to look at him because he's an outsider. He's also a guy who, by the way, can go into those black churches and in a compelling way, and you know, and in terms of empathy, most of the time when we've seen him over the last eight years, it's because his state has been beset by some natural disaster or you know, in some cases a horrific gun incident. And he's really really good at that. He's great at expressing empathy. I sort of agree with what he said there. The thing I would say is, it's not just about the language that we use. It's about and I've said this a lot of times, my objection to Democrats since the Democrat Party has become a kind of metropolitan, college educated party is we're still a party of working people, or see us see ourselves that way. But we approach them like missionaries and anthropologists, and we show up and we say we're here to help you become more like us, And the implied message is that what you do really isn't as important as what we do, except dan when we have a pandemic, and then we're home and we're making our living on our computer, and they're out there caring for us, protecting us, making things, shipping things, and doing everything it takes to keep the country going. And then we go out on our balconies and we bang our pots and we say you're the essential worker until the pandemic's over, and then they sort of become invisible again. So I think it's more. It's about more than just the language. We fundamentally have to think about how we value people in our society.
Speaker 1: All right, last one we'll do is penns Vania Governor Josh Shapiro.
Speaker 10: We have an opportunity to have a real debate within our party about what we stand for, about what our affirmative vision is. It has to be about what we are going to do to make people's lives better. And I think that that is a debate that our party hasn't had for a good long while, and that debate is not only going to help the Democratic Party. I think it's going to be healthy for this country. And what I can tell you for sure is that I want to be a part of that debate, bring the common sense, sensibility of what we do in Pennsylvania to that conversation.
Speaker 1: Lake Bashir Shapiro has won the key sat of Pennslvania. He's likely going to win it again by a very large margin, which will boltar Reo selectability case. What do you make Shapiro look?
Speaker 2: He's a very talented and very smart and what he said I obviously I obviously agree with. He's one of the guys who he can slide into sort of pigeon Obama from time to time, and he's taken a lot of criticism for it. He can be a little irascible, and for him, I think the important thing is to be real. He's so smart and politically savvy that sometimes you feel like he's giving the politically savvy, well manicured answer and you don't know what you don't see the person behind it. So those would be the concerns that I'd raised. But look, I thought, you know, I thought he should have been the vice presidential candidate, and in twenty twenty four, probably good for him that he wasn't, but I think highly of him, and he's got some good stories to tell. That story about the sort of wreck pace at which they repaired the fallen bridge in Pennsylvania is a metaphor for something that Democrats need to struggle with is if you're the party of government, how do you assure people that government can work? And he's got some examples to underscore. He also Dan has he's forged a relationship with working class voters and rural communities in his state. You know, I think he does approach those voters respectfully and has built alliances there that I think is very useful and important and instructive. So you know, again, you've got a good assortment there. I know what, you only have a short period of time, so you can't put all one hundred and six aspirants up there, but that's a pretty strong assortment of Canaida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know this Shapiro, It's probably not discussed enough how popular he is in Pennsylvania. Being a popular governor Pennsylvania is not an easy thing to do. This is a state at the Donald try is one twice it has moved away from Democrats as we we have moved away from Pennsylvania demographically as a party, he he basically has a coalition that combines the New versus the Democratic Party with his college educated suburbanites outside of the color counties around Philadelphia, with some of the numbers that Democrats like Obama and Clinton had in the rural parts of the state in the great, the great expanse between Pennsylvania and between Philly and Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: And let me ask let me ask you a question. And based on you know your you've got your finger on the pulse of of of the left and the party. You know, the question that comes up oftentimes from Jews and I'm Jewish, is well, kind of can a Jew get elected given the antipathy toward Israel now and now he's been a very strong critic of bb NET and Yaho. But how big an issue is that?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 2: I think that's an insuperable barrier for democratic canis. I don't, but but you would know better.
Speaker 1: I don't believe being Jewish as it is a barrier that cannot be overcome for democratic candidate. I think that any Democratic cant is going to have to have a vociferous criticism of the net Yahu government is going to have to take very strong positions that would have seemed impossible a few years ago about conditions on aid to Israel, about funding the Golden Dome. I mean, even are you're very you're close friend, my old boss rom Emmanuel came out suggesting he would not be for that. Like I think, what you cannot be seen. You don't want to be seen in a democratic primary as the pro net Yahoo candidate or the APAC candidate, or someone who's associated with the Biden's administration's position or policy on Gaza. So I think he can do it, but it's gonna those are gonna be tricky waters for him to navigate, given some of the ways in which he's approsed those issues in his past. Well, let me say he's the change is rhet eric and recent. You know, yeah, well, I mean, you know one thing you said quite a agree with. The attitudes have shifted in ways we wouldn't have predicted, because BB has done things we never would have you know, predicted, perhaps we could ever should have, but his the way he prosecuted.
Speaker 2: The war in Gaza. You know, I say this as as a Jew. It's you know, I was horrified and angered by what happened on October seventh. But that doesn't mean that I don't grieve for the children of Gaza and that I'm not repulsed by the way that that unfolded. And I don't think you're going to find candidate's Jewish or not who who don't agree with that. One interesting thing is that they have an election in Israel in October bb and new may be gone by the time this campaign begins in earnest, and you wonder whether whether that changes anything.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, it's a very open question of what the world will look like when these candidates actually have to go get votes in New Hampshire whatever other states. In the early part of the calendar in early twenty twenty eight, I did not play a clip from Kamala Harris. If you had asked me two or three months ago, I would have put the strong odds against her running. I think in the recent months she's been out there more, she's been doing more things that suggest that maybe she's seriously thinking about running. What do you make of that?
Speaker 2: I don't know what to make of it. I mean, she obviously is making noises as if she's going to run, and you know, once you run for president, especially when you come as close as she did, especially under the circumstances. She did very hard to look around and say why not me? But I also don't think America is going to and Democrats are going going to ultimately go for the back to the future candidate. You know, there's a lot of there are a lot of seared memories of twenty four and a lot of it don't have to do with her, but with her boss, you know, in the White House. But you know, it didn't end well. There are a lot of Democrats who were hoping that it would, and part of it did have to do with her inability or reluctance to do the things that you have to do at that level. You know, go on those podcasts, be real, be open, and of course the answer on the view under the withering interrogation of the of the people on the view to not be able to answer the question that I think any sort of competent candidate for at any level would know how to answer when asked, did you you know, is there anything you would have done differently? She didn't have to say yes these things. She could have said, I'm grateful for the opportunity gave me. I'm not going to critique him here. I'm here to tell you I'm not running for the to be the second term of Joe Biden, running to be the first term of Kamala Harrison. I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I mean, there are a million ways to have answered that question. She just couldn't find any of them. And those are the moments that define campaigns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it's from her perspective right as you came very close. You know, she believes, as in many people in the campaign, that given more time, she might have actually won that race, or if she had not been thrust it, if she had a chance to actually just not run at all and she'd want a primary, she could have maybe actually won. Know, way didn't answer that counterfactual, but you look at you know, one way. She's leading in all the polls right now. And now you and I know and everyone knows that oftentimes the person leading in the polls at the beginning is leading by dint of name recognition and nothing else, and that falls pretty quickly, like I did for Rudy Giuliani in two thousand and eight, Joe Lieberman in two thousand and four. But it still is true that you're not winning the Democratic nomination without running up the score with black voters across the South. And you look at that field right now, and she's the candidate best position to do that. So you could she could make an argument to herself about how she could win that nomination. Now the question will be, you know. And this was I think the experience John Carry had when he was thinking of running again in two thousand and eight, as he was all ready to go, picked up the phone, started calling all his old supporter and they were like, and Donory, I'm with Biden, I'm with that, I'm with Hillary, I'm with O Momma, with Edwards. And she might have a similar you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, and not just probably, you know, from what I understand, not just not just supporters and donors, but even some key staff. You know. Look, I respect her, and she got thrust into a really difficult position, but I just don't see this. And I yeah, I mean, I do think she's the beneficiary of early name recognition on this issue. She she may well do, you know, really well with African American voters in the South. But I keep thinking back to twenty nineteen when she was a co front runner with Joe Biden when she entered the race, and she never made it to Iowa, and her numbers in those southern states weren't that good. So I don't know, I uh, it's you know, there's one. I just don't have enough information to note. But I don't think I think she's going to receive some tough, tough news from some of the people whose support perhaps she was counting on anyone.
Speaker 1: I didn't mention that you have your eye on.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's kind of uncanny because you you you listed a bunch of folks who you know. Look, I got two guys from Illinois, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna I was looking for a good Rom clip to play at the end for you. But I don't want look.
Speaker 2: Look Rom Rom. You know, I would say that Gavin knew Some won the presidential primary of twenty twenty five. I think Rom is doing pretty well in twenty twenty six, at least with opinion elites. I mean, he's he's he's throwing out a bunch of ideas. He's really aggressive, you know, and we'll see where that takes him. Governor Pritsker is running for re election, but it seems pretty clear to me that he's headed in that direction, and he's shown a lot more serious political chops than I would have expected when he first ran for office. He's and he does have affection among some among the Democratic base. You probably hear it in your own And he's got obviously he's got the advantage of resources. So you know, I wouldn't draw him out of the out of the circle. You know, rumors emanate from Washington at Corey Booker might run again. He didn't do that well in twenty twenty, but he's got talents, he's got gifts, and in an election that may be about sort of character and kind of you know, to borrow Biden's phrase, though no one should use it, the soul of America, which honestly is going to be important in twenty twenty eight. You know, he's he's a guy who can speak to that. But I you know, I don't know if he can, you know, do appreciably better than he did. But I'm also like open to someone we haven't you know, someone coming from somewhere we don't even know. Like I said, this is this is a thing an election that's grooved for an outsider. And it may be you know, you hear about Mark Cuban, you hear other people mention, So who knows? Who knows? I remember calling John Stewart. And in twenty nineteen, after Zelensky got elected President of Ukraine, Beef Zelensky became, you know, the wartime leader, the Churchill of our time. Uh. And I said to John, John, you know, short Jewish comedians, they're all the rage right now. Uh. So you know, don't don't count him out.
Speaker 1: All right, That's I think it's a great place to leave it. John Stewart for President Rod thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Always great to see in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Absolutely thanks.
Speaker 7: Dan.
Speaker 5: Positive America is a Crooked media production. Our show was produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcot, Jordan Canter, Charlottelandis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East