Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Home on KFI, the house whisper Dean Sharp.
Speaker 2: Good morning Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: So this week on Home on KFI, we're going to be sharing concrete facts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, nice one, thank you.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you're talking about concrete.
Speaker 2: Sunday, we're talking all about concrete. I'm going to have a special in studio guest, one of the finest concrete contractors in southern California, and we're just going to be talking all things concrete. It's something that affects everybody. Homeowners have all sorts of questions about their concrete in all its various forms around their house. So we're going to try and elucidate some interesting facts about concrete, also teach you a few things about where it goes, how it works, and then answer all those pesky questions about what's wrong with the concrete house.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, I had a really good friend, in fact, we called him Concrete Dave when I lived up in Oregon, and he obviously did concrete work. And it's really an art, like you can be good at concrete or you can be bad. So hopefully you're going to be giving tips on how to do it good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. It absolutely is an art. It's one of those things where you know, I've understood the steps and the science of it and the processes and the prep work, but I never, I have never in my career gotten involved in the actual finishing and forming of concrete because it's truly a craft and it takes that. It takes that ten thousand hours of just you know, hand dexterity and in order to get it right, and it makes all the difference in the world.
Speaker 1: And because if you don't do it right, what are some of the bad things that are going to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing about concrete is that you's it's kind of like baking in a strange world. Concrete is a recipe. It's a mixture of four things, essentially of basically cement Portland cement aggregates, two kinds of aggregates, rocks like gravel and sand, and then water and the ratio of those ingredients put together. As soon as you mix them together, there's this thermogenic process in which it heats up and it starts to activate and bind together. And the timing of it, just like putting a mixture of dough in the oven is or cake batter probably a better analogy. It's just critical as to when it happens, how it happens, and all the conditions around it, including the weather and the temperature on that day, and if you got one shot at getting it right, because it's a synthetic stone, and when it sets, it's it's pretty much done and there's no turning back from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the other thing it's cool about concrete is I think more and more people are using but it's not only a utilitarian thing like for driveways but in house foundations, but now they're using it to make your house and to use it. I've seen some beautiful like concrete countertops and that kind of stuff too. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's an entire world of esthetic concrete. Concrete countertops for a while, you know, a few years back, we're just kind of a novelty. Now they are just simply one of the options that any homeowner could embrace as far as you know, redoing a kitchen or a bathroom or anything like that. But they still are largely sort of in the dark as to mystery of how you get that thing finished just the right way.
Speaker 1: Okay, the world of concrete is the focus of Home on KFI this Sunday, and on Saturday you're going to be talking about This is something that's affecting thousands right now, and that's builders being allowed to permit their own projects. So you can listen to Dean Sharp this weekend six to eight on Saturday, nine to noon on Sunday right here on KFI. Always great information. Thanks so much, Dean.
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy,