Speaker 1: Teenage years for a lot of us, are filled with angst and rebellion. Thankfully, it's usually a stage of our life that we grow out of as we begin to take a closer look at our future. For sixteen year old Adrian Reynolds, that was the exact stage of life that she was in. She was working on bettering herself and her future. That is, until her future was taken away by someone whose idea of bettering their own life meant taking someone else's. My name's Ben and I'm Nicole.
Speaker 2: And you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Warning the following podcasts and material in for a mature audience. Listener discretion is advised. Okay, that was smooth. How I did that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I didn't get the memo. I also have one that was not smooth.
Speaker 1: Keep it going, Keep going there, you go. Wow, your delicate fingers.
Speaker 2: I'm pouring an over ice because it's warm we have Okay, Can I just say something? Can I just well, this isn't really a show though, This is just me talking about alcohol. Okay, but we are brewery, which I'm sure we've talked about. One of our breweries, Trench, they have a.
Speaker 1: Peach iced tea.
Speaker 2: That is literally so good next level. So if you're local, like fucking go buy a case.
Speaker 1: They probably already know about it if they're local, because I'm pretty sure our entire city is obsessed with oh.
Speaker 2: Just obsessed like it. It puts some twisted teata like shame.
Speaker 1: Oh wholeheartedly, whole hard.
Speaker 2: Not that anything's wrong with twisted tea. We do drink that as well, but this is just like, wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's fantastic. I'm kind of jealous. I mean, I have a trench beer, but I'm kind of jealous that I'm not drinking the iced tea.
Speaker 2: So it is very dangerous though, because it literally is like I'm just drinking a peach iced tea, like non alcoholic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very peachy too, but like not too sweet either, So it's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: While we're recording this episode, we are in the middle of a thunderstorm right now. The rain has currently ceased, but being in a tiny home with a tin roof, there is a high chance and a high probability that you're gonna hear some rain pick up during this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now might just be a good time, but I have a feeling it could come back. It might, but it is also very good that we're getting rain.
Speaker 1: Yes, tackle those wildfires a little bit. Yeah, so this is a good thing. Let's just hope that lightning and thunder fuck off just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, can stay well for the next few days. I have photo shoots that I needed to stop for soon.
Speaker 1: Do you know what else can stay? What are fantastic patrons? Yes, we had Victoria Bond be our only patrons sign up last week. She joined the big list of patrons getting all that awesome exclusive content. So thank you Victoria for joining us over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the awesome exclusive content right now is chickens pretty much just chickens, just kidding. We post a lot of stuff on there, but right now it's our chickens are kind of all consuming, so.
Speaker 1: They are all consuming, but they're finally getting settled in the coops. All built, almost all built, The run's all done, and it's it's kind of like just moving on with life now with chickens. Yeah, you're gonna overfill that.
Speaker 2: No, that was I like, that was epic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't pick it up now, you got to? Oh I could, Okay, Okay, are you gonna spill? Don't don't do it. Don't do it. Oh that was so close. Well done though, there we go. She almost just spilt all over her laugh I was confidence is key.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what do you got in store for us today? I haven't even asked you what you've been working on.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a requested case that I pulled off our discord server. This is the case of Adrian lay Reynolds.
Speaker 2: Nice, Okay, I have no idea what this is about.
Speaker 1: Well, you're about to find all about it. Find out all about it. There you go. That that sentence made sentence.
Speaker 2: I swear a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: That sentence was a lot of nonsense. But it's about to make sense. How's that?
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: You kind of recovered, kind of recovered. But I'll deal with that now. I'll take it. Thank you. Okay, So you ready for it?
Speaker 2: I am ready for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. Well. Adrian lay Reynolds was born on September twelfth in nineteen eighty eight. She was born to a single mother in El Dorado, Arkansas. Now, unfortunately, her mother was not in a position to keep a child, so she was put up for adoption. Okay, so she was adopted by a man named Tony Reynolds. So, as Adrian entered her teenage years, her father would eventually remarry and move to East Moloyne, Illinois, while she continued to live with her mother in Texas. So as I kind of eluded with the whole angsty rebellion teenage phase and the intro education became a bit of a struggle for Adrian. Now I can relate to that because that was kind of me and my teenage years. Education was not my forte. I did not want to study, did not want to hunt her down do my things. There was other things that way rather be doing. And so by the age of her being sixteen, she was kind of not doing so well. She actually didn't earn a single high school credit towards her diploma, so rather than focusing on her study, she would find solace and hanging out with friends, smoking weed, harboring a deep dislike for school pretty much just all around.
Speaker 2: I think that's a pretty common probably argument in households with teenagers.
Speaker 1: Hey what exactly, Well.
Speaker 2: Just trying to get kids to like focus on their schooling. But yeah, it's kind of it's an interesting age, really, because there's so many other things you could be doing and you don't really necessarily see the importance of like high school at that moment.
Speaker 1: Yet, and nowadays there's so many distractions, video game, cell phones, social media, you name it. This worrisome situation, though, led her mother, who she was living with at the time, to believe that a change was necessary to help Adrian find a better path in life and kind of better herself. Right, So the decision was made to send her to live with her adoptive father and stepmother, which was Tony who of course was the original individual to adopt her, and Joan Reynolds in Illinois. So despite not being this perfect angel, not being the perfect student in school, Adrian's presence was cherished by her father and stepmother, who saw her as a spirited and vibrant young woman. Beyond her tough exterior, she was known for her sweetness, her care for others, and she had a remarkable talent as.
Speaker 2: Singing Okay, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Which I'm super jealous of. I love to sing, but I'm horrible at it.
Speaker 2: That is one thing I think if you could change about yourself, it would be to have that talent Hey.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would love to be able to sing, But you.
Speaker 2: Can't be good at everything, Ben, I know, I know, I'm not angry. You're pretty much good at everything else. That's like one thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I would say that, but thank you. I appreciate it. So Adrian's dream, of course, was to become a singer, but the pursuit of such aspirations often seems out of reach for many people, especially at that age. Like singing or being a musician or whatever is generally like the top of stardom. There's so much competition out there, sort of thing, right, So, in the fall of two thousand and five, Adrian embarked on a new journey by enrolling in the Blackhawks College Outreach program with the goal of obtaining her ged So this achievement would serve as a stepping stone towards fulfilling her ultimate des desire of joining the United States Marine Corps. Okay, so this was kind of her new goal. Instead, she kind of realized that the chances of becoming a singer were relatively slim. I'm not going to sit here and say you should never follow your dreams, but I kind of understand what she's saying, you know, so, yeah, this was kind of her next best thing. I'm going to go finish off my education and I'm going to join the Marines. Okay, good for her, Yeah, definitely. So she settled in Illinois with her father, like I said, and Adrian was determined to turn her life around and strive for a brighter and better future for herself. This was just a new chapter in her life for a fresh start. She was determined to build this meaningful future. Her dedication to joining the Marines after graduation was fueled by her determination to excel now at her studies. As she attended college, Adrian finally experienced true friendship when she began attending here. So she was not only just beginning to find friendship, but she was beginning to find that she was relatively popular, something that she had yearned for but never really found. So, alongside her other qualities, Adrian proudly identified as a devoted quote juggalo. Do you know what that is?
Speaker 2: Oh? My goodness, I've definitely heard of that term, but I can't recall.
Speaker 1: So a juggalo is someone who is a passionate follower of the rap group insane clown posse. Oh, shit.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, I have no ight, I've never heard that. Then I was thinking someone else.
Speaker 1: You're probably thinking jigalow, which is a male sex worker. Yes, it was a term for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, So juggalo.
Speaker 1: Juggalo is basically a follower of this rap group insane clown Posse. Oh okay, yeah, so I actually I used to listen to some of their tunes back in the day. I was never a Juggalo, mind you, but some of their tunes are actually pretty pretty entertaining. They're usually very dark and morbid and contained murder and that sort of stuff, but also like very circus like, and they're very clown ish. They got like clown makeup on black and white paint and all this sort of stuff. So she was a jugg a very devout follower of this fan of this group.
Speaker 2: Is that like a self devoted term?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay. Well, the band, I think, calls their fans their Juggalos and take on that, so then.
Speaker 2: You kind of decide, like you're that that hardcore of a fan, you're going to adopt that name exactly.
Speaker 1: So during her time at this alternative college, Adrian cross paths with two fellow classmates Sarah and Colb and Corey Gregory in two thousand and five. So, although Sarah and Corey shared a close bond, their relationship was platonic, despite a history between them, which I'll touch on a little bit later. As a fellow Juggalo, Corey immediately connected with Adrian and he introduced her to Sarah, who was also a Juggalo. Okay, so they quickly became absolutely best friends. The trio spent a lot of time together, both within school premises and off school premises in their own spare time.
Speaker 2: Was this can I just ask one very side not quick question, Yes, was this band like really popular?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Relatively speaking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I just think this is I mean, that's a great marketing strategy to like basically have people devote themselves to the name. I just I don't think I've ever heard of them. I maybe have to listen to a song and I would recall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably not. They were never like on the radio or anything. They were a very niche band, but they were relatively quite well known, okay, Like I think Eminem even had like a beef with them and stuff like this, like like yeah, they were up there, Okay, but I do want to say this, the fact that they're like clown and murderous and all this sort of stuff, they actually do like a lot for their community. They donate a lot of money, and they actually have like really good intentions. They're really good people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 1: It is. It's a little fun fact if anyone needed to know that about the insane clown posse. They're actually really good people. Good So Sarah Coleb was one of the friends that she met, and Sarah was born on April twenty third, nineteen eighty eight. Sarah was a very popular girl with a unique style, sporting black streaks in her hair, multiple face piercings, and a punky goth appearance to go along with her her Juggalo identity. So, like Adrian, Sarah faced challenges in school, which eventually had led her to the Outreach Center.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: On the other hand, Corey Gregory was born on November two, nineteen eighty seven. He was described as a shy and soft spoken individual. He found solace in being his true self around Sarah, and though they were once romantically involved, that aspect of the relationship had now ended. Sarah had a new boyfriend now and it was evident to Corey that they were just friends at this point. So despite this change, Corey and Sarah remained inseparable, often skipping class to enjoy music, share moments while smoking weed together, you know, just going off having fun, being really good, tight friends.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's impressive, because I feel like that would be a bit hard to do after you were like romantically involved.
Speaker 1: You know, I think so too. But I think there's a certain dynamic between them, which I don't get into a whole lot. I do touch on it a little bit here, but I might as well talk about it now. Corey, I think, as far as this case goes, he still was very interested in Sarah, so he was hoping for something to spark up again, right, I mean, they were still good friends, but he also wanted more, right, Okay, And as I kind of already mentioned, Sarah was quite popular, so she really liked the attention. So it was kind of a dynamic where they're friends, but hey, he wants her and she likes the fact that he still wants her.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really tough, yeah for him mostly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. Yeah, So the dynamic between those two did take a little bit of a new turn when Adrian would, you know, come into the group is kind of like a new fresh energy in their lives sort of thing, and Sarah's a tension actually would shift from Corey giving her all this attention because he kind of wants her to now Adrian, which kind of triggered a little bit of like a bit of jealousy between some of them. But anyways, Sarah was unapologetic about her feelings because she wanted to pursue a romantic connection with Adrian. So the two kind of did have a little bit of a candid exchange in letters discussing Sarah's bisexuality and Adrian's curiosities about her own bisexual identity. So despite the potential and apparent romantic involvement between two, they did not ever become an official couple, as Sarah still did actually have a boyfriend. She was in a relationship Okay, So meanwhile, Adrian would begin dating other boys as well, but her growing closeness with Sarah led to a shift in the dynamics that Sarah found rather unsettling. Sarah was quite accustomed to being the center of attention, as I kind of already alluded to with Corey.
Speaker 2: But she likes that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she was adorned by good looking boys and you know, now she noticed some of them were showing the interest in Adrian instead. Uh oh yeah, so that kind of put this whole like jealousy mix back and forth in there again.
Speaker 2: Yikes. Yeah, I'm like that can't be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's kind of this quasi love triangle esque thing that's going on because Corey wants Sarah. Sarah used to date Corey, and Sarah likes the attention from Corey, and Sarah and Adrian kind of like each other. But Sarah's got a boyfriend, and so Adrian's now dating other people, and Sarah is not liking the attention that Adrian is getting.
Speaker 2: Okay, I actually followed that, I'm a little impressed with myself.
Speaker 1: Well it gets even one step to shit, okay, because Sarah's anger and jealousy began to intensify in unexpected turnative events when Adrian even asked Corey out on a date.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So here we go. Yeah exactly, it's a full circle. Now. Corey had been devoted to Sarah, following her around basically like a puppy dog, putting around a pedestal, making you know, her everything feel good and all that sort of thing. Yeah, and this situation basically brought everything to a breaking point, leading to a heated argument between Sarah and Adrian. Sarah's feelings of hatred towards Adrian grew intensified with each passing day, and You're resorted to making many dirogatory comments about her promiscuity, I will say around the school.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, So she just couldn't handle this.
Speaker 1: She could not. Now, there was a report of them having an argument and kind of you know, fixing things up a little bit here, and they were friends again, but one way or another they would end up having a rather severe argument and getting to that point again where they're not friends anymore.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure it would like even after some sort of argument, it probably wouldn't have been the same.
Speaker 1: Right, So No, I don't think so. I think it was like an initial argument, they kind of patched things up, but they were still rather on edge, and then yeah, the argument just kind of intensified and it happened again sort of thing. And I mean Adrian did have like some desperate attempts to kind of like mend their friendship and reconcile. She really did want to be friends with Sarah and Corey, right, this was a new thing. She didn't really have many friends before, so this is a whole new experience for her, right, and she really actually cherished these friendships. So she was really trying to reconcile and make sure everything was okay. But at this point, Sarah remained rather furious and was determined to make Adriane's life quite miserable.
Speaker 2: At this point, Wow, so like really not a true friend.
Speaker 1: No, not aug of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they probably would have been true friends if Sarah was still the number one popular then the hottest, like you know that sort of yeah, mean girl's status.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just I don't love that, no at all.
Speaker 1: Neither do I. Sarah would actually even claim to have written in her journal about her intentions to kill Adrian.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she would have conversations with some classmates, but her friends and classmates just kind of brushed this off as a joke. Ah yeah, not really realizing the gravity of the situation or her emotions.
Speaker 2: I guess, Oh my gosh. And that's so often that people just kind of like brush it off. I feel like us on the other hand, I think everyone's like, oh, to murder me, so I just run around trying to avoid me.
Speaker 1: That's true. But I'm sitting here thinking of an angsty teenager listening to murderous rap music all the time. I can see that being off the cuff kind of conversation. For example, if you look at a teenage boy playing Call of Duty on his freak in PlayStation or Xbox or computer whatever, he's telling people, got to fucking kill you, like all the time. Yeah, it's not usually something that you say with any weight behind it, I suppose, and I do honestly think that, And this might be something that people don't agree with. I do think that Sarah wrote that in her journal without any weight behind I don't think she had any intention of killing.
Speaker 2: Her Okay, so well, yeah, you have a lot of emotions when you're a teenager, and you don't really quite grasp what to the extent things mean necessarily, right exactly? So yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 1: It would be. On January twenty first, two thousand and five, Adrian received an invitation from Sarah and Corey to have lunch and discuss their friendship. Whether they're going to patch things up or or what. They're like, Hey, let's go for lunch. Let's sort some things out, right.
Speaker 2: And at this point, is Corey and Sarah still like friends?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They they tight, okay, so willing to resolve any issues. Adrian accepted the offer and joined them in Sarah's car, which Corey was driving. So Corey drove to the nearby Taco Bell and during the ride, of course, the conversations began, right, you know, the topics of the friendship. You know, you did this to anger me or whatever. With that sort of conversation, you know, tempers usually rise and tensions flare, right, And that's exactly what happened. During the drive, tension was rising between both Sarah and Adrian, which led to quite a heated argument. So upon arrival at their destination of the Taco Bell, the situation had escalated even further and the argument turned into a physical altercation in the backseat of the car, which was quickly spiraling out of control.
Speaker 2: Ohly shit.
Speaker 1: Sarah and Adrian were now in a full out, violent fistfight. Punches were being thrown, and it was increasing in intensity. Corey had parked the car and he was trying to intervene, but his intervention was a little different. He, being so devout to Sarah, wanted to support Sarah, so he restrained Adrian. He held her down.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? Seriously? Yes, Oh my gosh. For some reason, I wasn't expecting that at all. I was thinking he was going to like help break them up.
Speaker 1: No, he held Adrian down. Oh, and Sarah then reached for and grabbed a All I could really find a description was this was a wooden implement she had for protection in her car. I'm assuming this is somewhat of like a small baseball batter or a fish bunker or a club of some sort. And she began using this wooden implement to strike Adrian repeatedly.
Speaker 2: Who yeah, yeah, Like I'm I feel like all like hot and bothered here right now. That's brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and he's just pinning her down and let what happened?
Speaker 2: I can let you go on a little bit. But I also have this feeling that this lunch idea wasn't necessarily a reconciliation per se.
Speaker 1: I don't know, if I think about it, Why would they have driven to a taco bell in the middle of day lunchtime. This is a very populated area. If they had other intentions, I don't think they would have gone here. Okay, at least if they didn't have intentions, I don't think it would have been here and now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so. So.
Speaker 1: Adriaan was now being pinned down as another person was assaulting her. It's terrible, but that's exactly what she was going through. She was overpowered and she stood no chance. Sarah, after beating her with the wooden implement, then resorted to using her own belt in the altercation. She wrapped the belt around Adrian's neck and began to strangle her. Slowly. As she tightened the belts around her neck, she watched the life fade from Adrian's eyes until finally it led to her tragic death in the back seat of that car. Whoa, she strangled her to death?
Speaker 2: Holy shit? Yeah wow, I am actually like sweating right now because for some reason, this is making me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: This one pisses me off on a few different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, it's it seems just so unfucking necessary.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all over a popularity contest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, it's almost hard to just fathom.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, wow, I can't believe that they actually went to the point where they killed her, Like I don't I don't know why, but I was not fucking expecting that.
Speaker 1: Well, And one detail I do want to talk about here is that this whole fatal occurrence did occur midday in a busy fast food establishment parking lot, yet there was no one who saw anything. What how Hell, here's the thing. This was January twenty first, right, Any witness present in this Taco Bell parking lot that day could not provide a clear account of the events due to the car windows fogging up from the winter air, obscuring the view of the interior.
Speaker 2: Yep, Okay, well guess that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, us living up in the north, anyone who lives in colder temperatures, you understand the winter, those windows with a cold outside and your breath or warm inside, it fogs up fast.
Speaker 2: And honestly, like in that situation, I feel like anyone would kind of they'd see it. They wouldn't necessarily try to look because you would probably think that there's like teenagers having sex in there or something.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it was. Yeah, some people did see that something was happening in this car, and they literally like dismissed it as teenagers fooling around in some aspects, shape or form, whether it's rough housing or sex or who knows what.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, Like, I don't think they would have gone to a place where they thought that they were murdering no one in there.
Speaker 1: No, I've seen some suspicious behavior in vehicles before, and usually I'm like, someone's having some fun. I'm not usually jumping towards someone's dying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I can't blame any pedestrian for not intervening by any means.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So later prosecutors would never actually really know the full story of what happened inside this car because there's no witnesses. All they could really do was take accounts of people inside the car, and they would eventually a little bit of a spoiler alert, but they would eventually learn details from individuals in the car, and they are trusting that yes, it was a wooden implement and it belt as I described. Okay, Okay, So that is the official story on record, regardless of the exact details though, whether it was on record or what actually happened to what people thought they saw or didn't see. Both Sarah and Corey were now responsible for Adrian Reynolds brutal beating and strangulation leading to a tragic situation, and they now had her body on their hands, so they did decided to get the vehicle started and they drove a little ways away from the Taco bell to a more private area to discuss what they needed to do. From there, they stuffed Adrian's body into the trunk of the car and they decided they need to dispose of her by taking her to a farm that was owned by Sarah's grandparents.
Speaker 2: Oh that's like so smart, right, Yeah, Like, honestly, that's so logical. I can't fucking believe.
Speaker 1: It makes so much Everything they do here makes so much sense. Trust me, you're gonna get more pissed. I guarantee it. So, while they're driving out to Sarah's family farm, Adrian's family was now growing concern about her whereabouts. It was a little later in the day by now, and Adrian hadn't turned up for her shift at work and they had no idea where she was, so her family reported her missing and police began searching for any sign of her, unfortunately to no avail. So as hours turned into days and a couple days were going by the search continued and numerous flyers were being passed out around town, posted across the city on light poles, telephone poles, on business windows, you name it, anywhere, mailboxes. No one, not even Adriane's school friends, recalled seeing her on the day she disappeared. However, a few days later, an anonymous tip led authorities to the Talk Go Bell parking lot where Adrian was supposedly spotted.
Speaker 2: Okay, so someone did see her.
Speaker 1: Someone did see her. So the investigation quickly honed in on Sarah and Corey, the last two people who were seen with Adrian. Police brought them in for questioning, and initially they both maintained their innocence. They never spoke about the incident in the car. They're just like, yeah, no, no, we didn't do shit. Yeah we saw her, we were with her, but no, we didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling though, that you would have been able to like read them like a book kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Probably, yeah, especially like younger kids are not generally the best at hiding emotions, are lying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and did they actually talk every little detail through about if they got caught, what they're going to say and stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, they didn't. Yeah, no, so be cause Sarah claimed that they had dropped Adrian off at the nearby Victimolds after a minor argument, stating that they'd made up by the time they dropped her off, and Corey provided a slightly contrasting narrative stating that the group had picked up Adrian with the intention of Sarah and her reconciling their differences, and according to him, there was a minor argument, but they managed to resolve it over lunch where they ate, and then after the meal, Adrian requested to be dropped off Adam McDonald's, so Corey saying, yeah, they sorted it out over lunch, whereas Sarah's like, no, we sorted it out, didn't eat, and then dropped her off so she can go have lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly can't say that's surprising to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was not not a lot. I mean, there was consistencies, but it wasn't fully consistent to what they were saying. However, the weight of the guilt was weighing heavy on Corey's conscience.
Speaker 2: Okay, I knew it was going to be Corey, he knew it was gonna be. I knew it was going to be Cory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which of course set him apart from Sarah because Sarah didn't seem like she was going to be cracking. So the burden of the whole secret became unbearable, and during the police interrogation, Corey finally broke down and confessed the whole horrifying truth. So he revealed that the week earlier, Sarah had been beaten and strangled or sorry, Sarah had beaten and strangled Adrian my bad in the backseat of the car, and together they had dismembered and disposed of her body.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, they actually went to the extent where they dismembered her body.
Speaker 1: Yes, holy shit. Before we get into that, I do want to recount a conversation with Brett Gregory, who's Corey's father. So he stated, quote, he started crying, and I started asking him questions, and he started breaking down. He started crying more, so I knew something was up. I just couldn't even say anything. I just cried and hugged him, and he says, mom, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. At that point, my heart was so broken. I didn't even have words. I said, did something happen to her in that car and he started shaking his head. Yes, he couldn't talk. I said, did she get hurt in the car? He shook his head yes. I said did she get hurt bad? He said really, really a lot. I said, is she dead? He shook his head yes. I said, well, where's she at? He just couldn't He just couldn't talk.
Speaker 2: Holy that that's heavy, Like that's brutal, right, that makes me like want to solve my face off.
Speaker 1: That's a conversation between a father and son step by step figuring out that he killed his friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, I mean, because that's the thing, like you see, like Adrian was the victim, right, yes, but then there's other victims always in like in crimes and stuff too, that don't necessarily get like recognized, I suppose. But yeah, like imagine being a parent. Your kid made the one of the worst decisions that you could ever have made, like really fucked up. Oh yeah, and like their life is gonna be like overaltered to to yeah, like a state of being over almost. Yeah, so brutal.
Speaker 1: So Corey's absolutely chilling confession because I mean, your eyes are watery as fuck right now.
Speaker 2: I could hardly listen to that all hit.
Speaker 1: It would continue to unfold in questioning as he described the horrific aftermath of their actions, and this is where they actually understand the details of the beating and the strangulation. So when he described this, he described when they arrived at the farm in the secluded spot detailed, they decided they were going to try and dispose of their friend's remains. So quote, we poured gasoline on her and lit her on fire, Corey revealed. When asked about the details, he admitted to being the one who poured the gasoline on the tarp that was covering Adrian's body, and they used a buttane lighter to set the fire ablaze while Sarah stood beside him, seeking comfort as tears streamed down her face. However, the plan didn't exactly go as expected. Adrian didn't turn to ash as they hoped, instead of simply burning the evidence where they were as they were hoping. They were left with a macabre dilemma of what to do next because Adrian's body was still completely there was just she now had some severe burns on herself.
Speaker 2: They literally thought that it would just be like cremating her.
Speaker 1: Yes, really, hey, I don't think pouring gas on a steak would cremate a steak, Like you're going to see her and burn and chart, but it's not doing anything internally or all the way through. So yeah, tarp and gasoline they thought was going to just cremate her, not even close. So Corey and Sarah contemplated cutting up Adrian's body to dispose of her, but Sarah wasn't going to do it, and Corey and Corey refused, unable to bear the idea of cutting her up. Okay, okay, In their desperation, they came up with an idea. They sought the assistance of another friend by the name of Nathan Goddet, someone who had a very dark fascination with blood, gore, and violence.
Speaker 2: Holy okay, I'm just like, now, yeah, you almost think this shit's wrapping up and it's not.
Speaker 1: Nope. So the following day, with Nathan now in tow, they returned back to the farm. Armed with Nathan and his grandfather's hacksaw. Whoa, Nathan began to dismember Adrian's body piece by piece.
Speaker 2: Okay, was this fucking Nathan guy friends with her as well?
Speaker 1: I don't know if he was friends with Adrian or not he would have known her. I'm assuming, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am just like, what the actual fuck at this point? Oh yeah, he actually went and fucking helped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, yeah, he just went and just began hacking her body up while the other two just sat back and watched.
Speaker 2: Good god. Okay.
Speaker 1: So, once Adrian's remains were in more manageable pieces, I guess as a way to describe it, they discarded torso and legs in a nearby ravine before grabbing a meal at McDonald's and then proceeding to the nearby local Blackhawk Historic site, where they buried remains. The rest of the remains several feet below a manhole cover.
Speaker 2: They went and had some fucking chicken nuggets with plum sauce. After they did.
Speaker 1: That show if they had nuggets and plum sauce, that is so fucked. Yeah. They butchered their friends, disposed of half her remains, went to McDonald's for lunch, and then continued the rest. Holy shit, Yeah, how can you say that you even have a conscience, let alone a fucking stomach to eat lunch in a situation like that. That is fucked.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the fucking warning for this one. Here. I was just like Lotti da da da, sitting down. I don't know why I'm Lati da like, of course shit's going down here.
Speaker 1: But holy crap, Well your reaction is pretty much the reaction the whole investigation team went. Corey was confessing this in the interrogation.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, Like, I don't even know if someone's confessing shit like this. I just don't actually think. I've always thought I could be an investigator, but I don't know if I could, because I don't think I could have like a poker face during that shit.
Speaker 1: You don't have a poker face. Now you look fucking pissed.
Speaker 2: I'm very uncomfortable, very agitated, and pissed.
Speaker 1: Yes, rightfully so. So after the whole confession in the interrogation, the police now know what happened, what's going on. Corey would lead police to the Blackhawk Historical Site where they uncovered Adrian's severed arms and head, and then to Sarah's grandparents farm where they found her legs and partially charred Torso. So the investigator's police now have their suspects. They had a confession, and they now had remains. However, one crucial detail remained concealed in Corey's testimony, a detail that I actually already did divults the involvement of the friend Nathan. Corey didn't initially tell investigators about him. Really, it was only through Nathan's grandmother that the police learned his role in this whole gruesome incident.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm surprised by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she contacted authorities concerned about a bloody hacksaw she found in her basement, jeez, which pointed towards her grandson's involvement, And when questioning Corey about it, he was like, oh, yeah, he yeah, here's how his involvement went. And then he divulged that piece of information. Sorry for being a little bit off track with that events, but it seemed more right to tell you his involvement earlier.
Speaker 2: That's fine, but that, I mean, good for the grandma. Yeah, honestly, like that's impressive because like, I don't think that would necessarily be an easy thing for a grandma to do.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. So Yeah, anyways, this whole situation, Corey, he justified his acts, his actions as an act of protecting Sarah, a girl he deeply cared for from facing jail time. He wanted to prevent her from facing jail time. He wanted to help her and cover this up, And it was all basically an act of love, which I'm pretty sure we all kind of guess that anyways. Yeah, so once we were kind of talking into getting tried and trials. Despite efforts, Sarah was eventually tried as an adult, but her first trial ended in a mistrial on November sixteenth in two thousand and five, as the jury couldn't reach a unanimous verdict, which surprises the absolute hell out of me.
Speaker 2: I don't, yeah, what's like, what was the issue?
Speaker 1: I don't know exactly, but they could not reach a verdict. They could not all determine if she was guilty or innocent. Someone was at least on one opposing side, at least one. So in the retrial that began on February eighth, two thousand and six, Sarah was found guilty of first degree murder and concealing a homicide for three weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, first agree, Hey, yes.
Speaker 1: She received a sentence. You ready for this?
Speaker 2: M hm? Oh it's better be good fifty three years ohkay? Okay? And bars Yeah, I'm actually alright with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Corey pled guilty to the same crimes in May of two thousand and five, with his supposed minimal participation resulting in a sentence of forty five years.
Speaker 2: Whoa, uh okay, I kind of feel like that one's I don't know, that's so tough. I feel like that's a bit much considering what she got. But oh god, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So he did have an appeal, and his latest one was denied on September seventeenth, two thousand and nine, where part of his complaint revolved around seeking a lesser sentence because he was the one who led authorities to Adrian's remains. The judge basically referred to his appeal as a case of buyer's remorse because he attempted to withdraw his guilty plea and demand a new trial because he's all like, well, I led you to the remains. I should get a lesser charge. I mean, you still did the fucking crime. Yeah, And I mean, honestly, you did get a lesser charge. It's I don't know. He he didn't. He wasn't the one who pulled the trigger, but he was there. He let it happen. He pinned her down, He then hid her body, he helped someone find someone to dismember her body. Sure, he confessed later, but you still did all those fucking horrific things in the meantime.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm struggling with that when little bit because I guess, like, if it wasn't for him, or sorry, if it wasn't for Sarah, like he wouldn't have done that. But I don't know. I mean, he definitely deserves jail time one hundred percent. Yeah, But and then I just wanted to say too, I'm almost wondering if Sarah's original trial, if it was an issue of like deciding if it was like first degree versus kind of like manslaughter or something. It's just a thought in my head because like, maybe it was kind of obvious that she's guilty. I can't imagine someone thinking she's not, So maybe it was just not sure for the charge.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know, That's.
Speaker 2: That's the only way my head can go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The whole Justine system sentencing for Nathan, however, was widely deemed inadequate for the severity of his actions. So regarding that Sarah had fifty three and Corey had forty five with Nathan due to the plea bargaining at his age at the time of the crime, then received a relatively lenient sentence of what do you.
Speaker 2: Think five years?
Speaker 1: Five years in juvenile detention?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is fucked. Yeah, because if anyone I feel like is going to reoffend, potentially it could be him.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, because he just jumped in there and happily packed up a.
Speaker 2: Body like it's it's actually like terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I mean, that's pretty much what everyone else is saying. Like the whole decision was raising concerns about public safety given the potential risk associated with his release on what he fucking did. Yeah, that's everyone's concerns too. Yeah, Like he has a subsession, he no questions asked, just hacked up someone.
Speaker 2: And got a taste for this now yeah, well yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: And he's only gonna put away in juvenile attention for.
Speaker 2: Five years yep. So oh that makes me almost ill.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The case of Adrian Reynolds, of course, remains a horrific and sad story. She's a young girl who was just trying to better her life but instead lost it because of a jealous friend and a quasi love triangle.
Speaker 2: Jeez. And the fact, okay, like what happened in the back seat was like horrible, But the fact that they just man like destroyed her body, like destroyed her body for her family, if that's like what they did to it after the fact, is like is almost just as disturbing.
Speaker 1: Really, well, what was the point of dismembering her? They dumped her in locations? Cool, they didn't really cover her by any means. She was dumped in half of her was dumped in ravine on her parents, her grandparents property. Okay, if someone comes across that ravine, they're just gonna see pieces of a body. Yeah, why not just dump an entire body so there's no difference, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it was. It's like almost just so unlogical their thought process, I guess of what was going through their head. I mean, they were obviously panicking.
Speaker 1: Maybe they were just angry, you know, they just couldn't think clearly.
Speaker 2: Until their McDonald until they had.
Speaker 1: Their fucking McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so disturbing. I literally can't believe that someone would want to eat, like would be able to eat like after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Holy.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, that's the story of Adrian Reynolds.
Speaker 2: Huh, that's really really sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that one came up on our discord, so thank you for that.
Speaker 2: And sorry, this was in the United States or where was this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay in the States, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: How many times are you going to say? Okay? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm very disturbed right now. I don't have anything, rightfully, So this was this was bothersome to me, this one.
Speaker 1: Why exactly was it bothersome? Just because it was so like, there's no point to this.
Speaker 2: It was just yeah, and I guess it was just like very unexpected, like it was just and ones that bother me more when it's just so like unnecessary, and not that any are necessary, but when it's just so like absurd. I don't know. This one, just this one just is hard for me to process for some reason right now.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. I mean, I'm someone who plays Devil's advocate all the time, so I try and get in the head of what someone is thinking or reasons why not that I agree with it, you know, But at least with some killers, you can get in their head and you understand their thought process as dark and stupid as it is. With this one, I can't do that. I can't understand her thought process. Boys like you, so I'm going to kill you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Sometimes teenage girls are interesting.
Speaker 1: Trust me, so can teenage boys. I think teenagers in gener yeah, are just interesting. But humans too.
Speaker 2: But I all ages, I very much. So do believe that there could have pit potentially been some ill feelings or like, I don't think that her intentions were appear when she offered to go have lunch with Adrian.
Speaker 1: To be honest, no, I don't think so either. But I don't think she had the intentions of killing her there.
Speaker 2: Maybe not killing yeah, because.
Speaker 1: Like I said, a very public place. Who's going to kill someone mid day like lunch rush we're talking here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that doesn't line up to me.
Speaker 2: But I don't really think that it was like to reconcile.
Speaker 1: Maybe not. Maybe she planned on just kicking the shit out of her or something.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Maybe she did plan on that whole altercation in the car too, but she just didn't plan on actually killing her, you know. And then as it's happening, this deep seated thing that she actually kind of really wants to happen, did you know yeah, well maybe I don't know one way, no matter how you slice it like this, it's just so fucked it doesn't make sense. There's the motive for boys think you're cute and you want to date my ex boyfriend who I am not dating anymore, and refuse to date, so I'm gonna kill you. Doesn't make any fucking sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this honestly just makes me a like not miss being a teenager and be like, actually, like pretty fine that we're not having kids, because that shit's just yeah, I can't. I don't think i'd be able to deal with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty I'd like grim.
Speaker 2: My huskies and my chickens and yeah, but honestly, kiwi oh and Kiwi sorry my chicken.
Speaker 1: It's a second thought.
Speaker 2: The chickens could raise some hell too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well chickens will probably eventually bully and pick on each other, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I'm not gonna be doing well with that anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it work.
Speaker 2: Research for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one was actually relative easy to research. I don't know why, but I just had I don't know, there was something about it that was like easy to research. The whole information out there wasn't a super accessible. I think it was just so intriguing to me, Like I was really captivated with what the fuck that I was just into the research on it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I mean, it had like a really like easy timeline to follow to ice.
Speaker 1: Of hope it did. It really did, because there's not like like the actions occurred a couple days later confession and like it all happened within like six months sort of thing as opposed to like years of time. And you know, so I think that kind of definitely helped. But I hope you guys enjoyed this episode. It is interesting.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, yeah, they even went through the court process pretty dang quickly. Really, yeah they did, honestly. Yeah, Okay, and I just wanted to say really quickly, I am finally working on an episode.
Speaker 1: It will come.
Speaker 2: It will be a little while. Yeah, this wedding season has been has been a lot so Ben has grace.
Speaker 1: Gracefully, gracious, graciously.
Speaker 2: Graciously been kind of taking the lead on the podcast. It It's been helpful.
Speaker 1: It has been so thanks. It's been fun though. So yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will be presenting at some point in the near.
Speaker 1: Fielture are you going to tell them the case you're going to do.
Speaker 2: I have hinted at this one before you have, but no, no, it's a camping related one. It's been on my list for frickin ever. I have the friggin' book that I yeah, okay, well.
Speaker 1: There you go. It's camping related one, is it? Jason vohees, No, that's a horror movie. But anyways, we hope you guys enjoyed this episode. We appreciate you guys being here, especially if you're listening to the very bitter end where we're just kind of yapping back and forth and you're enjoying a drink with us. Maybe we appreciate it. If you guys want to support us a little more, you can go ahead and check out the links down below where there's our social media, there's our website. You got Patreon, We can go support us there and get all that extra goodness content. We have YouTube where videos are starting to get uploaded on a little bit more of a regular basis, so you can check those out there, or if not, you can just chill with us here. We appreciate that too.
Speaker 2: We appreciate it all.
Speaker 1: Also, you can go ahead and give us a review if you really want. That helps the show absolutely immensely, So thank you if you have done that, and if you're going to go do that, but even still, thank you for just being here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right before this, I took a little mini video to put on Patreon of our chicken coop. Yeah, so that's going to be up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so go check out our Chicken Coop on Patreon. You can get a shout out in the next episode two.
Speaker 2: So yeah, until next week, stay Wicked.