Speaker 1: Oh this is it. This is what it looks and feels like. Boss on on Ona con con con conk.
Speaker 2: Come king our first show after the death of Hull Coogan, man in our last before we take the stage August third, Comedy Village, Times Square, High Noon, in between nights one and two of Summer Slam. Yes, and it's as if you know, the gods delivered upon us a perverse, a perversely perfect set of circumstances going into the show because we had a feedback show, we wanted to clear the mailbag out. But man, is it going to have a whole lot more punch after the death of.
Speaker 1: Hull Cogan, a whole different can of worms now, Jesus, you.
Speaker 2: Know, folks who are in the moat tier on Patreon would have heard us sharing the call with each other as JP got to me first on the death of Hull Cogan.
Speaker 1: It's a rarity these days, absolutely shocked.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: We've course shared with you audio of our appearance on the Josh Nason Wrestling Observer show punch Out, where we talked the day of the news about hul Cogan and what his passing means to wrestling fans of our vintage. In particular the type of wrestling fans that would you know, cast their lot with TLF. So we've said a lot, but it feels like we're just kind of getting started.
Speaker 1: Where are you at? You know, it's it's a it's it's hard. It's very hard, you know. I I've definitely had some difficulty separating the man from the character. Yep. And there's you know, because there's definitely obviously there is so much you know, people are going razy co razy on social media everywhere in regards to you know, this guy's a piece of shit. You know, he's not really worth your time and he's not worth remembering. And it's like, Okay, I I just can't because to me, that's just a little too narrow. I don't have to celebrate the man, but I will celebrate the character and how I felt about him, yeah, during my youth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's an all kind of mature on that front.
Speaker 1: It's hard. I mean there there there are some times where it feels like it's just it's very black and white in regards to whether or not you should celebrate someone. Obviously, we know he's he tainted his legacy without a doubt over the last several years longer even, I mean the last like fifteen years, he's really just tainted his legacy with just stupid, stupid stuff and and and and really just showing who he kind of really is as he got older. But but I also can't deny the fact that the character had an impact on me when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: The fact that we have to underplay that, you know, it's like had an impact, had an impact.
Speaker 1: It the only reason a podcast like this exists. Yeah, right, I mean that that's that's it. That's it. And so I I I I do feel like it's okay too to eulogize the right word.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel especially comfortable because no one's done more than we have to lay this man's flaws barrel exactly exactly everything you know about the particulars, not just the broad strokes, but the particulars, about all that stuff with with the the tape recorded racist comments and the sex tape and all that stuff. All that is you know what happened with Nick and the jailhouse phone tape said, that's you know, the deep texture of it, because you listen to this podcast TNH in particular, So you can't say we haven't done our penance on on that part of the the legacy. For lack of a better word, you know, my god, I just watched the smack down. It's like they gave him less of a tribute than Chris ben Waugh. Now, of course, I know that's not fair, but considering.
Speaker 1: I mean, you'd think they'd give him a whole show. I mean, that's what I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Old Cogan would have gotten a whole show if not for all the racism stuff, for sure. And he would have gotten a whole show if he wasn't Boots so vociferously coming back years after that whole scandal. That's it's not just that it happened and he said these things.
Speaker 1: It's that I mean, it's also that he goes that that that he shows support for Trump. There's just this that's true. That was an extra that's right. That did add spice to the soup for sure. At the end, I think, you know, it's like, you know, a flare comes out and kind of kind of still gets cheered and stuff. It's like the verdicts in folks, Okay, racism is worse than sexual assault. I'm sorry to report that being the case, people still advocate for Chris Menoir in the Hall of Fame. So apparently racism is even worse than murder. I guess so.
Speaker 2: But the you know, the death fault Cogan puts a lot of important things on the table, but for us in particular, obviously, it's I think it's going to be a matter boss looking back between lapsed fan before when you know, laps fan when Hogan was alive, and lapsed fan when Hogan had passed.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, it really is. I mean it's it's it's still a weird thing. Like honestly, I'll I'm the the mornings since I'm walking my dog in the morning, and it just kind of hits me while I'm walking the dog. You know, it's almost like I almost can't believe it. You know, I thought for sure he'd sold his soul to the devil so badly, he was going to last a long time. But I guess only one person what he embraced Christ as a savior. He was on the way down, you know. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: It was when he was, you know, involved in all kinds of ignominious stuff that he seemed to be surviving despite all odds. I mean, the guy I've said it a hundred times. You know, hul Cogan should have been the one right off in the sunset, and he had the messiest fucking post wrestling life one could possibly imagine in terms of all he built up from the wealth of capturing our imaginations all those years that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just goes to show you that none of them really can good luck, you know, like stone Cold was probably stone Cold in the Rock were probably the best cases, but then they ruined it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, Rock still littling it. He still needs it, he still needs wrestling. Yeah, I know he's not sure. John still needs wrestling. I mean, this whole retirement tour, like, I mean, come on, they should have been done participating in anything on screen with the W tow from an angle and match perspective, both of those guys consider the success they've had in Hollywood. They should have been done ten years ago. Yes, they should not. Still Rock should have been done. Rocks should have been done in in in ninety four, in two thousand and four. Yes, when they didn't renew was contract, you should have been done. They should not still need whatever it is performing in WW gives them, but they do. And so here we are yep. And of course the questions have come in what are we going to do as a podcast? You know, we've set this standard around tribute shows and uh, you know, appropriately appropriately tipping our cap to people that have been influential. You can't you can't get bigger than Hull Cogan on that front at all, because you can't get bigger than Hull cogu.
Speaker 1: And we have done so much already in the archives. I mean, there is so much that's that's part of the that is part of the problem, you know for us anyway, is that there is so much that's done. I mean, so much of his his career, so much of his life has been covered by us.
Speaker 2: So here's what we can tell you since the day we started The Lapsed Fan a little over ten years ago, covering SummerSlam nineteen ninety one. Interestingly, that's right, that's right, Hulkamania, with all its brilliance and warts, has washed over this podcast. So it was the decade prior for JP and I as we huddled in a dorm room chortling about Hulk Hogan's masterful politics and limpooning his paranoia as he had returned to WW and instantly seamlessly remade ww in his image all over again. Yeah, giving us the red and yellow back before we realized we wanted it again.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So it was the decade even before that, as we came of age, children of the tail end of Hulkamania and the Hasbro era, piecing together the decade of Hogan that we missed as toddlers, piecing together how this shiny jacked charisma machine came to be by begging our parents to go to the video store and rent yet another Holisem video drawn in by a video jacket cover art of Hogan juxtaposed with the foe of the day. I always wondered what the decade after hul Cogan's death would look like around these parts, a podcast like this, a wrestling industry like this, a society like this. Whenever that time came, I felt relatively certain we would have covered it all. For what was the initial spark behind even doing the Lapsed fan if not to have a reason to go back and watch Hull Cogan matches right, I mean seriously, and to compare our notes with each other on set matches. And it turned out compare our notes not only with each other, but with thousands of lapsed fans across the world on what Hogan was, how he'd find a way to our hearts, and how he taught us the dark arts of staying relevant and never missing a trick. Yes, but then we thought, wait a minute, this is the lapsed fan we unapologetically stew in the juices of the past. It's true, that's where the subtled truth is after all, And for hull Cogan, now there will be no more violent twists and turns on what seemed like an annual basis completely upended our sense of what hul Conkin's legacy will even be. I know, no more beer launches or wired taps, or political rallies or abrupt religiosity or shunned grandchildren or tearful ex wives that we know of or who knows you know? Or how about banished best friends to account for you. No more extra logs on the bonfire of apologies that you have to make and personal belief provis those you have to issue before celebrating the man Hulk Hogan performed for the audience that was in front of him, whether it was one to one via his son through a jailhouse glass or a surreptitious recording to another man's wife discussing who his daughter was dating, or before a reality show crew of probably like ten people who totally took over his Tampa mance, or before five hundred thousand people at WrestleMania three yep. To spend time trying to parse out who the real Hulk Cogan was is missing the whole point. Hulk was whoever he needed to be, as the vicissitudes of celebrity threw him curveball after curveball, and we at TLF we need hulky Mania is still run wild in a real weird way, at least for the next little while. If Hull Cogan washed over everything we have done to date, then we're in the privileged position to say that will continue with an even greater focus and commitment to pinning down why this guy was central to so much. As much as we've covered in tremendous detail about Hulkogan, from his first WWF title win to his Awa and Japan exploits with Bockwinkle and Mudha, to the first Saturday Nights Made Event and his role and becoming his whole role in Saturday Nights Made Event and becoming a thing, to his pivotal role in the George of Horrin and Vince mcmann's steroid trials yep. To the nineteen ninety four Bash of the Beach just last Time, his WWW and his nineteen ninety six Bash of the Beach w W Hill Turn and his two thousand Bashes at the Beach legal showdown with Vince Russeau. And how about f U N B. Hulk Yes to the rise and fall of the nWo and the rise and fall of TNA with him involved, to the first Nitro and Postumania and Last Nightro and this incredible film career I'm going to get there, okay, and a Gawker trial, every single one of his movies under the cinemat, a series that in fact started with Santa with Muscles, it did started with Hulk.
Speaker 1: Look at that. I mean, that's it starts with Hulkogan all the.
Speaker 2: Way through to the Secret Agent Club, including that to literally getting on a plane, literally getting on a plane to Detroit, yep, so that we could walk the rubble of the Pontiac Silver Dome in search of clarity as to why hul Cogan was such an avatar for all we had and all we lost of all that upon his passing on July twenty fourth, at the age of seventy one. We were inundated with pay per views shows and topics that we didn't get to before Hulk passed. Everybody wanted to know, Hey, you know, what about this show?
Speaker 1: What about that one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you know, it would have been unthinkable standing here on the death of Hulkgan when we first started TLF that we would have anything left to do about Hulkogen. Yeah, it just seemed like that's all we were here to do was just watch Hulkogan right again in a lot of ways, but the cast evolved and people asked different things of us, and we asked different things of ourselves. So in fact, a lot of well to Zeric Bischoff's analogy apples have been yet to be clicked from the tree. Ogan's contributions were so vast that even after doing this for a decade, we still have tapes to pull off the video store shelf, don't we, Boss.
Speaker 1: I mean more than you'd think. You know, you'd think that we would have we would have covered more, but we did not.
Speaker 2: We still have nooks and crannies, nicks and crannies to collar in before we can lay the Hulkster to rest around these parts presenting. Going forward, we're going to be calling the Complete Hulk Hogan, our wholehearted attempt to systematically cover everything about Hulk Hogan that we never got to when he was here on this earth with us, from his earliest days wrestling in Florida, Alabama, Memphis, and Georgia to his first tours of Japan and winning the inaugural i WGP title against Antonio and ok to all of those Saturday Night's main events, and has anyone who listened to our Tnh's Journey or our Bash of the Beach ninety four episode can attest we've occasionally been overtaken by a feeling that we're getting a last chance to say goodbye to Hulk Hogan. These things came out of nowhere, but seemed to uncandidly be followed by real life twists and turns. I mean, Boss, we did Bash at the Beach ninety four. The fake Hogan dies. The guy who dresses up like him dies, I know, I mean that guy who's followed him around for for forever. You know, he was at WrestleMania seven. He's at Bash.
Speaker 1: The beach. This guy goes followed Hulk Hogan everywhere. I even know his name.
Speaker 2: That's it, Yeah, his face and that Hulk himself. The day our deep dive of Bash at the Beach ninety four dropped, completing our coverage of really the last real monumental thing in a lot of ways that he did that we haven't covered yet.
Speaker 1: Hit the feed.
Speaker 2: He died that day, and we were inspired to do it because because of the chatter that he might be in more ill health than his immediate circle would let on publicly. We thought, let's do this, but I did not expect it to happen and click in So dare I say poetically, but there we stood, mouths agape, jaws dropped that the way it did end up playing out, and what it means going forward, We've occasionally been, like I said, overtaken by a feeling that we're getting a last chance to say goodbye to this guy. And this starts all the way back when Oh my God, JP to me. It's part of the same thing when we both devised a caricature of Hulk in our heads. Is someone obsessed with visual pinfalls, Yes, And what happened once we created that whole idea in our mind that this is Hulk Hogan's sort of personality, that he just by all means is trying to prevent anyone from ever seeing him with his shoulders down on the floor, even in public, even in any and that he has to grab pinfalls on anybody who could be a threat to his torch. As we decided to put it, yep.
Speaker 1: What happened.
Speaker 2: We sat down to watch raw YEP, and they beat the shit out of the Rock building up WrestleMania eighteen. The nWo did, and he still had to get the visual pinfall. He gets it, He gets it, He pins the rock and Scott Hall counts the three. We watched in hyper real amazement as hul Cocain insisted uncovering Rock for a visual three count with no ref wasn't a match.
Speaker 1: It was an angle. Yeah, but it's it's kind of like that what happened last week? You know, kind of interesting.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 1: What if I kind of like lay down on you, dude, and you, you know, we gotta do the three count?
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you obviously it's not a match, brother, but what if he kind of like, what if he had something it's a heat, dude, Heat brother. So we're talking about heat and heat to you know, WrestleMania, brother, because I know, I know for sure, No DJ, I know for sure. Man, they are gonna boo the hell out of me in Toronto. Yeah, they never liked me in Toronto. Dude.
Speaker 2: He gets all that, he gets heaped with all that praise for doing the honors for Dwayne and Toronto. Yet he comes He's WW champion in a month running the whole fucking show and he got a one two three on Rock on television before the thing even happened. Yeah, yep, for what that's worth. But to see that happen as if we wished it into existence, and then to see halt pass when we get the sudden kind of cosmic signal that we really ought to do this show. Now it's July Bash of the Beach July. It just it just made a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And here we are, I think, equally amazed as we were back when we watched that Monday Night Raw and he pinned the rock for no reason.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, no question. I got to say.
Speaker 2: It feels like we've said goodbye to Hull, Cogan and all he meant to our generation time and time again on the lapsed fan. But we can take as long to say goodbye as we damn well please. This will be about filling the gaps, because amazingly there are many. Or to settle the score. Yep, we're all to settle it all.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: The big event yep, wrestle Fest. How about the very first Survivor series at ninet eighty six, right, how about the nineteen eighty eight Summer Slammer the Megapowers take on the Megabusks. How about the nineteen eighty nine Royal Rumble where the fateful Ready Savagehull Coke and Wrestleminia five man event was set up. How about we look at all the Saturday night's main events. How about we go to WCW and do all the stuff from ninety six before he turned heel super Brawl. What about Halloween Havoc that year where he had turned heel and had the wig on his head?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How about super Brawl the next year? How about Bashes at the Beach with Dennis Rodman, which he of course was absolutely instrumental and making happen in ninety seven and ninety eight. What about when he tried to go back to the red and yellow in ninety nine at Fall Brawl against Sting.
Speaker 1: Well, exactly what about that? What about made if any Sting? What about Fall Brawl? What was it?
Speaker 2: The type AI strap deathmatch in March two thousand against Flair?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 4: The what it was?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah? Put the poo poo? Yeah, one of those Kevin Sullivan words.
Speaker 2: What are those Kevin Sullivan Encyclopedia Britannica given, yeah, right, the final pay per view match he had with Flair? What about the XWF experiment and yes and yes?
Speaker 1: What about the two thousand and two return, what about Backlash and Judgment Day and King of the Ring? What about what about No Way Out nWo? All over that show? I mean, looks listen that memory. They even did it. No Way Out nWo right there, No Way Out. It's like the show was made for them back in nineteenninety eight, Backlash O five or Summer Slam O six against Randy Orton. So many moments in between. For the shows I just listed, and perhaps more, you can expect traditional lapsed fan shows about each and every one of these events. So it's not just going to be as we've done with the other tributes, just Hogan's match, We're just gonna do the events that ought to have been done about hul Cogan as we would.
Speaker 2: Have before he passed. We're just going to use that as our orienting principle for as long as it takes in show selection going forward. As part of the complete Hulk Hogan. Now, of course, we will do the episodes that aren't just built him around an event, but built around time periods. We're going to go systematically a year through year, and this will be a chance to do things that people have asked us to do for years. When we come up to a wrestlingmania that we've already covered as part of the thirty Week Journey, and so much more has come out subsequent to those recordings as to the context and potential research around those events, this will be our chance. Hulk Hogan will once again be the reason that we check so many boxes that the lapsed fan is thirsty four. It's be a chance to do all that. There's be a chance to get into so much more than we had at our disposal when we did Star K ninety seven, for instance, against staying and all that's been said since discovered and uncovered sense about the nature of that debacle all the way along the way, we hope to fill in gaps and if nothing else, we will be happy when our time on the earth is over that the lapsed fan catalog will have been the absolute quintessential guide to Hulk Hoges's career. Yes, but the shows I just listed and perhaps more again, those traditional treatments coming your way, but we know because Hogan is so central to them. Even if we do these shows in the traditional way we do pay per view events, they'll be about paying tribute to Hulk as well. Maybe not as gratuitously, but every time we do one of these events that are built around houlk Cogan in the main event, and there are so many across WWFNWCW, you'll get the sense that this is, even if not directly a tribute to Hulk Hogan in a way. We'll be systematic about this, making sure the full Hogan era is a purportly emblazoned in the catalog. And folks, we need your help because we can only see so far out in the distance. You know what's coming. You felt the power of Hulcay and you just like the rest of us. Tell us what you remember about the most significant moments along the way by emailing us God yes, please at the lapsed maan at gmail dot com. After all, it may be quite a while before we do another feedback episode, So get that feedback in. Tell us where along the way from the birth of Terry Boleya to the death of Terry Boleya, we absolutely must pause to reflect on significant things he did said appearances he may doesn't have to be matches, doesn't have to be big pay per view events, doesn't even needn't necessarily have to be television. Whatever it is that impacted you about Hulkgan and all of his time in the business, let us know about it so that as we go systematically year through year, we can make note of it and again reach our potential as the place that Hulkgin's the biggest wrestling legacy we can imagine, is fully ensconced. So let's send us not only printed, you know, typed emails, but also audio testimony. Remember that from the good old days we see these kind of audio clips during the WrestleMania journey of people just recollecting verbally what it all meant. Make sure we don't miss anything, any little nugget that you feel like you uniquely may remember about Hulk Hogan, anything he said done, send it to us, tell us what it's connected to, and we'll try to make the complete Hulk Cogan as much about your memories as it is about ours. Absolutely, we may lose other giants along the way while doing this. We are fully cognizant of that. We may lose Rick Flair in the middle of this. Maybe we may lose Vince McMahon in the middle of this. Maybe paying tribute to them in the main feed, we'll just have to take a back seat to the Holster. The truth is, for us, we wouldn't care nearly as much about a Vince McMahon or Rick Flair, or Kevin Nash or Alex Luger or Bob Bckland, or a Sergent Slaughter, or a Jake Roberts or a Brett Hart. How even Vince Russeau, Eric Bischoff, Brutus Beefcake, Jimmy Hart, any of the other subjects we may be called upon to pay tribute to during the course of the complete hul Hogan. Any of these people we may be called on to reflect on during this duration. If it wasn't for Hulk Cogan, we probably wouldn't be called upon to tribute for them. The complete Hulk Hogan will be in recognition of that fact, they'll have to wait because Hulk goes on last brother, and damn dude, it's got creative control, and Hulp must pose. We'll do all the shows, all of them. Everything we've done to date has stealed us for this, all of us in the Tlef Solar System to rise to this challenge uniquely, and when it's over for us, it'll feel something like the completion of a life's work in every sense of the word.
Speaker 1: Can I get a hoof Heller my brother, brother brother? And it's oh shit? And that wasn't exciting And it's part.
Speaker 2: Of this uh you know, wall to wall coverage. It's like a state funeral. You know that's going to last a year and a half. I don't even know how long it's going to be.
Speaker 1: I listen if it if it last, I mean, look, I I I know a number of these things are gonna last. I mean this this is the even obviously, including like you know, the show list that we've come up with is is just kind of it's just the shows, and it's not like the episodes in between right where we're going to be doing things, you know, like you know, because if you look at it, there's there's not We have no shows in nineteen ninety one ninety three. It doesn't mean that there's stuff that didn't happen. Yes, that we haven't talked about exactly, you know. So it's like these are these are all there, this is this is going to be a very a very very ambitious, lengthy girthy thick. I don't tribute. I suppose.
Speaker 2: Sure it's an exercise and unfinished Yes, you're fuck my life. It's an exercise and unfinished business. And I think our hope is that when it's done, you'll be able to look at the TLF catalog and say, well, you know, they did Survivors Series eighty seven. It was part of the whole contribute, but it stands as the Survivors Series nineteen eighty seven episode they would have done even if it wasn't for Hull Co con Tribute vibes.
Speaker 1: So that's the idea.
Speaker 2: There's so many shows that people have wanted us to do, so many shows that people cross their fingers and hope we'll get to one day. And they almost all involve hul Cogan, they really do, so let's fucking do them, yep, you know. And that's another reason to do the call out for audio. It's like, you know, the hopper and stuff people might have to look if this is one of your shows, just send us that fucking audio, you know, because this is going to be this is going to be the mission here. This is going to be the orienting principle, Like let's really let's really make sure that there's nothing of significance that hull Cogan really did that doesn't live and breathe in the TLF archives because it makes all the sense in the world. And I can't wait to see the twists and turns ahead because already having to scratched the surface with our cabal of folks, this is there's some stuff in here, man, that we didn't even know we wanted to know about hul Cogan. We didn't even know we could know about hull Cogan. That's to come. I mean, what we know about Stirling Golden, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean?
Speaker 2: We know it's a punchline, right, I know very little Eich side of Jimmy Barnett calling him that, well, after he fucking retired the gimmick you watch like Hogan and Andre mix it up in Alabama before they ever went to New York. Please, yes, how did he become Hulk Hogan? We can nail it down, yes, And we have already so much done that it's that much more attackable. You know, if we if he died on year one of the show, oh my god, we'd be like, what do.
Speaker 1: We fucking do? I mean? You have right?
Speaker 2: I mean the whole just called the lapsed hul Cogan. Right, Well, that's what it would have been. And frankly, we probably just wouldn't have done it. We probably, no, we can't just you know what I mean, we would have just bounced around more and just done an episode in recognition, like we did with so many that passed along the way. But I think because we've done so much already, we know that there aren't these massive mountains still to climb. It's it's kind of like those. What we have to do is document the valleys. The peaks are already in the catalog, right, all the research is done and it's all there. From the trial to TNH to bash it, the each to his WWF jump from Awa to the Super Sunday A w A stuff. It's already in there, all the WrestleMania's, the Sid come Back all that stuff or the Sid Retirement, all the movies are in the Under the Cinemat archive on Patreon yep. So it's like, you know what, I think this works. I think this probably is the appropriate time to go whole hog on Hogan one last time because we've done so many of the huge monumental things that it actually feels attackable instead of something that we should shy away from. You know what you want from us, and we're going to give it to you, but we're going to give it to you exactly how we want to give it to you. Yes, as we always have, and in that fashion, as we've you know, turned over in our minds, the different ways that we can rise to This particular occasion coming up is mentioned already August third of the Comedy Village and Times Square TLF takes the stage one more time as the lapsed Fan invades Times Square and thanks to so many members of the Solar System who we know are going to be joining us in NYC, we thought to ourselves this must be in recognition of what we've learned. We can't just go forward with the show that we planned before at Absolute Crown Jewel and the Lapsed Crown falls out. So announcing here and we want you to bring your best if you come and join us at the Comedy Village, a vigil for Halcochen will be part of our live noontime Sunday, August third Comedy Village Extravaganza. Come with your memories and be prepared because I know a lot of members of the Lapsed Fan Solar System, in particular the Rogues Gallery Oh Yes, are going to come with their deepest and most sentimental reflections as well for losing the Hulkster and what it means to have lost the Haltster. So a very special time expected. Tickets still available Comedy Village dot com. We'd love to see you there, and we're going to do it right, and we're going to send the Halster off at least from a live show the.
Speaker 1: Way it ought to be done.
Speaker 2: I think we can, yes, and already you know, of all the Hogan shows we've already done. We'd also encourage you to reach out and say, hey, you missed this. You missed that because we weren't always so as anybody knows, it's listened to us from the beginning research heavy. So there's a lot of things that we probably could have said about Hull Cogin and things that have come out about hul COVID around some of these events that we didn't say or we didn't commit.
Speaker 1: To the record. Yeah, and we're gonna you know, and it's a convenient thing too, that we're gonna kind of be touching upon every single year, you know, every single year that we've done, and so it is a good time to kind of fill in any holes in that regard that that we might have might have missed or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, yeah, I'll be uh, I'll be perfectly happy if the first ten years of TLF is understanding all of the intrigue around Hull Cogan in the second half is just getting all that whole coke and stuff rewatched and just figuring out what it all meant. I mean, why not that that that's that's the only thing that feels appropriate right now. But I guess we will see you August third, next summer with you from Times Square. Of course, we'll also have our Summer Slam in twenty twenty five, two night live call up for patrons. I know you're looking forward to that, Boss, We're.
Speaker 1: Going to be doing. Oh yes, wonderful doing a.
Speaker 2: Rarely seen both co chairs in the same room live call. It's been some time, that is true. I don't recall the last time we've done a live call in person.
Speaker 1: Ever. When have we done one?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the very first one was WrestleMania thirty four at.
Speaker 1: Twas Oh that's true, all right, that counts, I suppose, but not really.
Speaker 2: We did the one you know when you were living in Jersey before we went out. That wasn't for WrestleMania, but that was like NXT or whatever, the weekend of the Hall of Fame stuff. We were in the same room watching some of that. But no, I mean, with the exception of the ones where we're live in the arena trying to do live calls with screat fans everywhere.
Speaker 1: Right, this is a return to form and kind of be very fascinating. This will be like be like watching WrestleMania twenty two in the dorm room exactly, So you want eighteen in the dorm room right on that on that stream such as back then, Oh my god, it's like the image changed every six seconds, so ridiculous. But we still knew Hogan the Rock was a classic. We still were going nuts. Did we did? Yes? We did? Uh we that's insane. The best we could do. We didn't have the ability to order cable pay per view in the dorms back then, and we didn't. Why did we go? Do we not know about the Hoots? I guess we did not know about the Hoots yet? Nope, okay, just a crying shame. But it was that run crazy that we're finally going to get be able to get into as part of the complete Hulkgan that two thousand and two run that really solidified our our habitual wrestling watching together there in so many ways. So we have the whole stort of thing for that as well. But yeah, so you want to make sure a Patreon dot com Slash the Lapse fan is locked and loaded that you're correct on that front, because live calls are coming, a lot of content is coming, of course, under the cinemat's back rocking. We just you know, if we're going to do Bash at the Beach ninety four and Gene and heenan are going to mention having done a movie called Time Master that we have never even heard of. You better believe that shit got fast tracked, because that's why Under the Cinemat exists. You're damn fucking right. That's what we do. That's how we fucking roll and listen. I'll tell you what was?
Speaker 3: What was? What?
Speaker 1: What did you learn? What was the most important thing you learned during Time Master?
Speaker 2: I think more than anything, it's at the Dutch angle keeps the film interesting to watch.
Speaker 1: This is an example of a Dutch angle. Because of the canted angle of the camera, it remains interesting to watch. It remains interesting. I mean, you have no idea. If that annoyed you, that means that means it was interesting to begin with, of course, and it has remained interesting thanks to the cleverness and the industriousness. Like the director who you just heard from patting himself on the back. If that annoyed you, you have no idea how much more it could annoy you If you listen to this entire episode of Under the Cinemat, probably the second worst movie we've ever watched. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: The director's kids are in there. They do not belong on a big screen at all. They are not actors.
Speaker 1: No, nope, nope. It's it is a it is it is. It is a masturbatory opus. Yes correct, you know, uh, that's what it was. And it's just it's a it's a it's a travesty, you know, because what what what travesty? That's a travesty. What it really came down to is this, This is why it bothered me. Okay, it came down to the fact that the you know, you look at you look at almighty thor Okay, yes, that is obviously an awful movie with awful visual effects, with awful performances, with awful everything, but not a lot of money was spent. And you can tell that a lot of money was spent on this movie, not necessarily hundreds of millions of dollars, but way more than was spend an Almighty four, no question. And that, to me is what's so awful about it, is that you spend that much money and you come up with that piece of shit. But hey, you know, that's what I'm the cinema's for.
Speaker 2: And Heenan and Jean's role is just fantastically fleeting. I mean it's just yes, for no reason they're in the movie. It's tremendous to see it. Really, I mean, there is no reason for them to be in the movie at all. The fact that they never mentioned it in all the shoot interviews they did.
Speaker 1: Later in life.
Speaker 2: I bet I could find anyway, I know tells you all you need to know. You would think their one film credit would be something that they tout. You know, yeah, I don't even mention it. Nope, it's horrible and it's available under the cinema. You're damn right as is since the last time we were with you on a mailbag show. Fucking epics like Jaws and Spotlight. I mean, folks, yes, I mean, I don't know what to tell you besides like, get on the fucking boat. Because cinemat is putting things down history right now. We're finding wrestling connections and these all time classics once upon a time in the West, yep. These are what we call proofs of concept.
Speaker 1: And and and also I'll tell you you know, one of one of my favorite things, specifically over the last year has been finding people that we don't know anything about that have a wrestling connection, that are wrestlers that are involved in the business that they're just they're involved in a way that you know, it's, for lack of a better term, they're just not it's it's too small, Like their contribution is important, but it's also not something that's going to be written about right on websites and newspapers and and to be able to find them and talk with them and and uh, you know, from Tony Van Silva last year to to Glenn Glenn Cain huge, you know, like it's it's it's to me that it offers a whole different perspective and opens different uh possibilities indoors and and and and knowledge about the wrestling business and in ways you know that at least for me, I would never I would never have thought we would have ever gone into on this show. Yes, you know, ye like I would have never thought we would have We would be we would be talking about the you know, the the various British styles of professional wrestlers, useraate and and stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been such a unique way to get at historical figures in the business that never would make sense for the way we do the main show. But you know, they make one movie appearance and we're on our way, and that is the case for a lot of turn of the century wrestlers, international wrestlers. To your point, you just think about, like during Carni's or Forever, getting acquainted with uh, you know, the wrestlers in those movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you're you're to Tanaka brother yep, I mean, and so many that we Peter by No, it's right, that's right, I mean, and and then again, and so many that we didn't even we didn't even know, no clue, you know that we didn't even we didn't even uh hadn't even remember the wrestling bear from Octopussy, Like, what the fuck, what's happening here? Okay, wrestling Bear just crazy. It's it's it's it's so much fun. It's it's it's so much fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's great to see it really hit astride And that's available for your Patreon dollar exclusively for the the executive producer tier and above. Of course, we're rocking and rolling on the pro wrestling teas and chopped teas for us as we continue rolling out merch and it's it was actually kind of heartening to see upon the passing of the Hulkster focusing. You know what, I need that brother shirt, Hey, I love it to Steve and Chris who we saw grab at. The Lapsed Wrestling Association shirt and the a w A format, of course, are a lot of the reason we went on the Life and Death of a w A Journey Boss was because we just couldn't. We needed to satisfy our curiosity about Hogan before coming of.
Speaker 1: Course, I mean right, and seeing that that that legendary matchup between he and Bockwinkle, you know, like that's just it was crazy. There's so much more to available to us now than there was ten years ago. By the way, speaking of Hogan too, by the way, you know, I forgot that this shirt even up, you said, Progrestling Teas dot Com slash slabs fan. I'm digging that creative that's up now, that is available, uh, you know for your purchase.
Speaker 2: Brother, Brother, Brother, and I agree, needless to say, wow, so very very much there for you. When it comes to SHWAG, when it comes to items that pay unique tribute, think of the section eleven sub paragraphe You know, yes, these are things that say at all about Hulk that no one even was saying brother question mark stop the boots, So stop the boots sign at atn n XT one time. I mean, folks, Oh, you're welcome, okay, Hulk, you're welcome. Solar system, You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Hide the ball, you hide the ball shirt one too, thro and only fly fly the flag, folks, fly the flag t n H. I mean, it's all there, your powers. That one, that's a weird one. Would be surprise. I'd be surprised if we moved many units of that one. You've been talking to Frank. It's a huge ques It's I came about the parrot. But I have no fucking idea why. Oh, I mean, just answer the question.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That's that's exactly it what I mean.
Speaker 2: So progressingts dot com slash lapsed fan for your T shirt needs chop tease, the lapsed fan for hoodies and all kinds.
Speaker 1: Of other things. We got the f U n B three sixteen shirt. Fuck you got that right.
Speaker 2: It's like a it's like a tour. Hulk Cogan's life and times are our apparel stores and so much more so. We would love to hey look forward to seeing some folks uh in New York City wearing some lap swag as well.
Speaker 1: That would be highly.
Speaker 2: Appropriate and maybe indeed I'll I'll wear my brother the shirt. Oh yeah, you better bring that jacket. Oh you got to bring that fucking chop tease Varsity only the only the the vaniest among us can yes, gobble that one up before limited supplies ran out. That's like a fucking that's like a piece of history in the wild, right. So, uh, cameo is rocking for your for your needs the lapsed Fan, and it's rogues gallery of characters available to you that way. With you know so much birthdays and holidays coming up on the holidays, you don't want to avail yourself of our availability on on cameo. And uh, like I said, live calls up the wazoo, including a very successful experiment that we did with the a W Live calls for the Hall in Show where Mama Sorrow joined us. Yes, we did available still a la carte purchased per match and thanks to all that supported that that experiment. We really enjoyed it and feel like it really really came together nicely. So those are still available at patreon dot com slash lapsed Fan.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the Terry the Terry Yaki brother shirt, Terry Aki brother Ichi ban Ichi ban ye Ichiban. It's it's all there, It's it's the whole hull. Thanks so much. I I just forgot. I forgot about some of these shirts. It's chop A Mania even like Udi Mania and truck Hogan Harukamania, the Japanese yah so stupid. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting here. I'm looking at a canvas piece that Chroma Slamb did of me, surrounded by a bunch of wrestlers, including Hulk Hogan. I'm looking at a wall hanging from Tom Fleming, the former w w f R department employee that we had on and mural that he did for the lobby of Titan Towers with the whole dead center. I'm looking at a Hulk Hogan has bro redone to look like Cidy dy Udy Mania courtesy of our friends down in Florida. Gonna come see us soon. I got a Hulk Hogan fucking uh what do you call it? Three D printed headphone thing here with his mustache's.
Speaker 1: He's everywhere he is.
Speaker 2: Bookcase, the bookcase is screaming at me with all kinds of Hogan stuff.
Speaker 1: Remember remember he was. He was listed as a John Doe in Uh, yes, the rules and we have rules, do rule rules. I was going through some of Crova Slamsulk shirt Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I was going through some of the Chroma Slamb's Journey art that he's done. You've seen on our ex account when we post like the list of episodes like we just did for t n H. He's always got such a wonderful like of the journey in one image and that's and that's the trial of his life. It's Hogan in a ring with dough rules on his shirt, striking a pose. And I was like, oh yeah, dough rules because he was referred to as John Doe in the George Hornan trial because they wanted to avoid publicity around him and putting things on file in court that would create more of a media stir.
Speaker 1: So tremendous, So tremendous.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, what did you say to me before we started recording? He said, Hulk Coogan's dead. Yeah, said it again? Why did you say it again?
Speaker 1: I I because it's not real yet, was it ever. That's a good point. That's a good point. We don't know if he's really dead. Just remember that could mean his death. I meant justice his life real, but his life real. We don't know is his death reeal, We don't know? You know.
Speaker 2: The thing I know from Hulk his life is a series of runs and run ins. We're about to embark on one more run for the hulksterre here with.
Speaker 1: The and what about what about? You know? Maybe he's on that island that we always use to talk about, brother, at Hawaiian Island where you know people go when they quote unquote die brother, brother, brother, May you be there? I don't know? You tell me I know? Brother? Great point. So what the fuck is up?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: What you know about it? Nothing? Nothing down. Let's go to the mail bag. What do you say?
Speaker 2: Let's do it last time for the Holster to begin with at least this is the summer mail bag, and we'll be going through as we go and give shout outs to folks that we know will be joining us at a comedy village as well, who've been kind enough to let us know, like count on me pal, they they answered the bell as far as sending a little confirmation our way. So Chris, I want to thank you very much and look forward to uh, he's coming to his third live show, wow, expecting it to be a doozy Dave Murray. This is our practice on these meil back shows. We also want to thank folks who have since the last time we mailbagged, pledged to us on Patreon and decided that we're worth actual money. So thank you very much to us, to Dave Murray for his pledge. Shout out to Austin who's going to be taking a bus from the DC area to make the show. These folks are not going anywhere near MetLife. Okay, that's what I love. That's what I fucking love.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, oh, so Ww's coming, So we'll do the show and we'll get the fans like well, actually most of them are just coming to see us.
Speaker 2: I know, it's hard to believe. That's the fucking truth. Andrew on Patreon in light of SummerSlam ninety one being added to the vault, Yeah, this WW vault thing, we got.
Speaker 1: Our eye on that. Okay, can we talk about that real quick?
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, I don't know where they found the person behind that or the people behind that, but you, sir, have our fucking endorsement, and that's hard to say, because we you know, I set a high bar for.
Speaker 1: That ship, and you have our attention. Best way to put it all right, like we are all these great American bashes, fucking the I just they have a Sunday Night Slam show. Those shows have not been available before. Sunday Night Slam has not been available before the network. What the fuck? They're getting dirty?
Speaker 2: They're getting dirty and LATAs SummerSlam ninety one are very first show being added to the vault. In hul Cogan's passing, I re listened to episode one. You two start the death toll early on because ten dead is a big number. Ten dead, that's a big number. God, they're ten dead in that show, on that show. Yes, there were ten dead when we did it.
Speaker 1: You think about it.
Speaker 2: Now, he says, gentlemen, I must report that in July of twenty twenty five, some eleven years later, we now stand at twenty three dead. Oh no, we have added Butch Virgil, Animal, Bobby Heenan, Renee Gulay, Pat Patterson, Howard Finkel, Roddy Piper, gene Oakerland, General Adnan, Colonel Mustafa sid Justice, and Hulk Hogan to the list. By my account, he writes there now officially more dead and than alive from the Slams ninety one. Whoa I repeat, he writes, more dead than alive. The one thing we must hold on too in these times is that the warlord could be the last man standing, God.
Speaker 1: Willing, God willing. Can do you believe that? That's no, I can't believe that. Actually, that's hard. That's hard to hate to hear.
Speaker 2: It just never never occurred to me when we started doing this that, yeah, we might do it through everybody leaving.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It just seemed like they were timeless and we'll just revisit it and it'll be great. Are they ever gonna die?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Why would they. Let's get to what Jeff had to say, Boss if you can. Hey, guys, I'll get to Hogan in a minute. But a quick thought on Gene and Heenan. This recent mini journey has been just as much about them as Hogan. Well, Hogan brought you in the door. The humor of those two kept you hooked in those weeks in those week two week programs build the built to the next time you saw a Hulk on TV. Gene and Bobby were like your uncle and grandpa, like when your dad would take you to breakfast and meet with the men of the family without mom and grandma around. The jokes were a little dirty, a little crass, but never anything too far. You snickered because you got the joke and were allowed to laugh without having to explain how you knew that joke was funny. It's true. It's a good point. I can never I don't know, I never really got. I don't think I had breakfast. And I would have never had breakfast my grandfather and my dad alone because that just would have been okay, that would have been awful. That went awful. My grandfather was much nicer to his grandchildren than he was to his own. Kids understood so like it just would not have happened. It would never happened. But I appreciate the sentiment. I definitely had moments where my I can remember something like the early dirty jokes my dad would share, like just you know, it's like, oh, my shit, like you you understand that. In my mind, it was like it was like it wasn't like how do I know that, It's like how.
Speaker 3: Do you know that?
Speaker 1: Old man?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's a that's a funny, that's a funny say. Anyway, So on to Hogan. I don't remember a day where I wasn't a Hulk of maniac. Based on your conversations, I assume I am two or three years younger than you both. I don't and remember anyone sitting me in front of the TV and saying, this is wrestling. This is Hulk Hogan. He is the good guy. Just always seemed like wrestling was on TV and Hulk was my favorite. It's strange because my parents weren't wrestling fans. My dad was very much the I'm not I'm not watching this Fike stuff type. But I always remember having the Hulk Hogan wrestling buddy, the Hogan l JN, the Hogan has bro hell. There's photos of my fourth birthday and the Hulk Hogan cake, And like you, I know, I watched Hogan and Warrior as a kid, but I have no idea if it was live or VHS someone or VHS someone put on for me. But I'll never forget how strange it was to see the face paint worn off Warriors face. That's it, you know that. That's probably one of the most unsettling things as a wrestling fan when you're a kid when you know that a wrestler has face paint and then you see it kind of chip away throughout the course of the match, and instead it's like no, no, no, no, no no no, why yeah, why are you doing that? Didn't one time and wrestle mamia say like, is he losing his skin? Like you didn't understand that it was paint? Yes? Right, oh awful. I continue to love wrestling in the Bread era. However, like most, I became lapsed by ninety five ninety six. But baseball was as much to blame as anything else. My summers were devoted into playing baseball. But when I got back to school in nineteen ninety six, the kids were talking about WCW. I knew WCW, would never really watch it. However, Raise or Ramone and Diesel were now partners with Hulk Hogan, and they were bad guys and they use their real names. I don't know about Hollywood Terry Blaya. That wouldn't Yeah, I understand that I was hooked again. I had to see this. That's actually fucking funny. Hollywood, Hollywood Blaya, it's pretty awesome. Instead of Bollywood it's Balaya. Would well, oh, my god, No, Bollywood blaya. That's funny. Yeah, that's fucking funny. Bollywood Bulaya. Okay, there's a shirt. I'm gonna do that one I had. I had to see this. Hold on, What is fuck's going on? Here? Oh? Sorry? A program came up and all of a sudden just said I'm closing now, just letting you know that I'm You've ignored me long enough, so I'm going to close. Okay, thanks program. For better or worse. I was hooked on wrestling through two thousand and two ish, when life, dating, and a social life was more important than continuing to watch wrestling. I often wonder if it was healthy for me to be a wrestling fan, for any of us to be wrestling fans. It's not. No, that's an easy one. Okay, it's not healthy. It's it's a it's a it's a it's a drug addiction. It's a bad addiction. It's it's gonna listen, Being a wrestling fan is going to cause you way more harm than good. When being frustrated by the product makes you watch it more, that's when you know, right exactly. The millennials who didn't watch wrestling weren't conditioned to terms like jobber, mid Carter, main eventor preserving your spot. It definitely had a negative effect, as I often worried about not being a Maine venter in real life, when most well adjusted people weren't worried about this kind of dumb Carnie ship. You gotta have a little bit of that Carnie in yet I wasn't gonna come in Andy, Let's fucking go. Jim knows, Jeene fucking knows knows.
Speaker 2: Exactly how to handle it. I want you to know that when we did the Patterson What's up? Boss, that was him. That was when we recorded Pat Patterson himself saying that is you saying brother?
Speaker 1: Not because kind of sounds like him. He kind of sounds like him for real. That's why I did it out. Oh my god, I don't think he's ever said brother like that, like just that calmly.
Speaker 2: That's from the Wonderful Crumbslam mash up where he goes omelets knobs, omelets knobs, Brother, what brother, dude?
Speaker 1: There some vegies of those almost dude, excuse me, he said a lot there, which was a little almostude. What you put some veggies in those almost dude? Knobs Veggies brother.
Speaker 2: And we asked Brian Kobbs to his face, what Hulk likes for breakfast? Because of all this ship.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of thing. I mean, poor fucking crippled Brian Knobs. Okay, let's think about that. What kind of podcast is this? Remember that when we asked him that question. Just tell us what he likes for. I don't know what do you ask me this for. It's a culinary it's a culinary podcast.
Speaker 2: We do a podcast about what wrestlers eat. That's a great that'd be a great like excuse stastic.
Speaker 1: Food question, would it? Would we we specialize in wrestler cuisines. Is when you think about the Ahmed Johnson interview we did, what do you remember? I just remember sausage and cheese, sausage and cheesy from fucking seven to eleven sitting on his desk there, Oh my god, Johnson, what a trip. And of course meat sauce. You know you can't that's it now, the great sauce, sausage and cheese and omelets. There we go with that. That's the name of that's the name of the wrestler Wrestlers Eating podcast. Right, there was a corner. Before Hogan died, I thought to send you an email asking the question quote, does it used to be better? Include Turner employees being embarrassed to sell ad space during wrestling? Yes, yes it does, Yes, it does. Okay. The fact that they're okay with that is not Is this not okay? All right? Like they need to be miserable wanting to sell ad space to pro wrestling like I want to talk to the people. Yes, Oh my god, are they really bringing this ship? Oh my god? Our number one program is what wait wait, I'm sorry. You know you said this aw thing. I thought it was something legit. It's it's it's like that fake wrestling. Is that WrestleMania stuff? You're bringing WrestleMania to Turner Again, that's a way to put it. Well, we are about for the audience, but they don't actually own WrestleMania. But that's a whole different thing. Oh you get I can give you this this that my mom one point asked a question about ask me a question how she didn't understand that WrestleMania was a show owned by w WH Like she thought WrestleMania was like a brand essentially and that and that you know, oh, did did does oh does vins mick Man work for WrestleMania? Oh my god, Yes, while it was gonna take a long time. Mom Oh, it was amazing. Does it used to be better? Include sponsors in mainstream media avoiding wrestling like it was some kind of disease, Yes, yes it does. Those are the days we're find for. Yes. Hogan is the story of America Ronald Reagan to today. The faux patriotism of the of the nineteen eighties, followed by the shades of gray of the nineties that spilled over into the two thousands, the reality show era, and the damage of that era we still feel today. The quote everyone has a camera era hubbada, Oh yeah, hubbada, that's all he puts down in parenthes. Hbbada has to be out of retirement, hubbout who That followed the quote everyone needs to react to the headlines era, followed by this trash fire we stare into on a daily basis. Go, Jeff, Yeah, I'm jealous of the adult fan who sat in the crowd at WrestleMania three, the fan who only knew that Andrea the Giant was a character who turned on Hulk Hogan and now he asked to pay for what he did. He didn't know their real names, their real lives, whether they were shitheads or not. He went to WrestleMania, had a great time, and didn't think about his life for a few hours. He wasn't required to have an opinion or feel guilty for supporting these awful people. I feel warmness to my childhood again when I think about Hulk. But you cannot reflect on the fact that one of the last images of him healthy is a Donald Trump's shirt. Damn fucking right. This is again. This is the conundrum. This is the conundrum. Okay, you can't watch the tribute and not think about Triple H and Stephanie working with RFK Junior, a man whose health policies are making it harder for future patients to survive what Triple H survived with his heart. You can't think of friends who are going to be negatively affected by Linda McMahon. Also to note, I don't really spend time on social media or read it, but the people sitting around waiting to gatekeep other people's mourning is fucking gross. Yeah. I agree with that too, So Hulk. I've been listening to the Laps fan. Oh so Hulk. I've been listening to a LAPS fan for more than ten years, and every penny I've given you is worth it. From the beginning, what I've loved about this podcast is how it unlocked those memories of the birthday where I got my Hasbro ring and a huge collection of figures. How my grandma would call my mom in the summer to tell her to turn on Regis and Kathy Lee so I could see the wrestlers who got interviewed, and how I love this goofy form of entertainment. Thanks for everything. I can't wait to hear this mail box. Thank you Jeff for getting things started with some smoke. Damn right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of that. A turnover of eras, the turnover of the nature of the country all it's all there in hul Cogan Caleb Hamilton, we want to thank you very much for bumping up your pledge and sure hope you enjoy the vip tire on Patreon. Matt Anderson, welcome to the executive producer tear. Do enjoy under the cinemat and all else what privileges you too? Yep, Andrew is a good point in Patreon he writes, this is another part of the reason why you should pledge. I mean, some of the smartest, most insightful comments you'll see on the topics to Jore the pay per views we live call everything are on our Patreon feed. You've got to see the comments people put underneath these audiophiles. He writes, I invite you to imagine a world where most things stay the same, but Jeane and Heenan stay. Jeane is interviewing the Rock on Raw. Heenan is on the call instead of Lawlor. Forget it, what are we talking? I mean, that's just that I can't. I can't even I can't you fathom I can't. It's it's it's it's like what.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Row. I don't mind telling you, I'm here with my God. Can you imagine.
Speaker 5: Wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy? It's the lapsed fan. He's the lapsed fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnasio and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 1: Just so's the point that you've been made several times like all right, coming up? I got stone Cold Steve alson on a hotline.
Speaker 2: We know Hogan made it feel like it's supposed to feel, but he was on T once every two months. Yeah, okay, Yes, it was the stick men like Gene and Bobby and Gorilla and the rest, Vince, Jesse, Piper perfect, these people that would be the through line. They would be the scene setters, they would be the soundtrack Lord al Sean Mooney. I'm not saying everyone was great at their job. I'm just saying that we could receive everything on kind of an equal level. Things were all Everything to us was interesting to a point because those people were the voices of it. Yeah, gave so many wrestlers had starts in terms of getting our attention because it was the same voice that proclaimed magic when hul Cogan part of the curtain or sprung into action via Jesse Ventura or Bobby Heenan hyperventilating at the presence of a Hull Cogan. Paul writes on Patreon co Chairs, I don't believe you've covered Clash the Champions twenty six heen and ww debut. Yes, we were wondering about that during our batch of the Beach ninety four show, right, But he makes a good point. We may have played the audio shared in this episode was.
Speaker 1: Well, it was also with the time Time Master as well, because I've played the class right and I didn't well, I wasn't sure if we'd covered it.
Speaker 2: It was while covering Suberbral four, which was Heenes's first w stub pay per view, that we touched on and probably played the audio of that debut. And Ram Mansou, thank you very much for increasing your pledge. Appreciate the vote of confidence. Matt wants us to know that what we should do for the Hogan Tribute is redo the first nine manias. It's the only Hogan story we haven't done properly. Well, I think in some ways we can kind of do that because yeah, I don't think people want us to deep dive the three hour plus broadcasts again, but there probably is some things when going systematically year through yearth with life and times of Hull Code and that we can say in and around WrestleManias. We were just talking about this, think about Saturgnite's main event and how so many of those set up WrestleMania's right exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a lot of stuff and in the main event shows as well, you know, the live Friday night broadcast on NBC. You know there's a lot of stuff that we that we can we can use to help fill in blanks in regards to those and not necessarily. I've never I've never thought, even even shows as far back as summer some ninety one, I've never thought to myself, Oh, we should go back and redo it. Redoing it? I don't think that doesn't work for me?
Speaker 2: Brother, No, no, not quite, not quite in the and then this is a way to kind of do that without having to literally read these shows. Right, I think what will be will be great is and I'm realizing this as I talk. I probably should have realized this earlier, but it would be great if folks could just share us their top ten shows, like what are the ten pay per views or events that could be television specials that we absolutely must give the traditional lapse treatment to as part of this journey. And that is to say shows we haven't done before top ten because we've come up with a list of how many was it like thirty or something like that. Yeah, but that's just a spitballing going chronologically through what we know we haven't done. But we want to put it on you with much more restrictions. We want you to be the ones to decide instead of just boiling the ocean, if you really had to edit down the absolute essential, whole cocin, what are the shows that we haven't done that we should deep dive in traditional format? That I think is a key part of charting our course here. So among the many things we're asking you to send to the lapsed fan at gmail dot com are those lists, and we'll compare and contrast them. Of course, we're not going to commit to doing any one person's list, but if we see echoes across the list's boss, I think it's pretty safe to say yes, that show should be on it.
Speaker 1: Agreed, b C.
Speaker 2: We want to thank you very much for your pledge. Meyermania, thanks very much for all your support in your recent increase in pledge. Dorian writes on Patreon, it's part of me that doesn't want this episode to end. He's talking about what else Bash at the Beach nineteen ninety four Ye, in the wake of Hulkogan's passing. We've got a whole other round of comments on that episode because the new poignancy brought to it, he writes. Once it's over, there will never be an episode that will feel like this.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the death toll will take a long time to get used to with Hogan in it. Yes, yep, have you adjusted? No, Mike, I mean listen, can you imagine? Can you imagine like I mean, the the first show get when we get to the first show on this Hogan tribute that includes a death toll, He'll be on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's it's weird. It's weird, it's it's it's borderline unacceptable.
Speaker 2: I think we'd be comfortable by now, but we're actually entering the least comfortable phase we've ever been in. Yeah, oh yeah, Mike writes subject line hoof Hey, coach chairs or hope you and yours are doing well. Good luck with August third and with how you proceed following the death of all Cogan. I'm sure you'll give myself and the rest of the LAPS fan solar system the best content tributing terry that is humanly possible. That said, you have welcomed ideas, and wilst I don't think my ideas are going to touch what YouTube geniuses will create for us lapsed fans, here goes eighties WWF. Crazy as this sounds, I feel like there is no need to go into too much detail into peak Hogan fame. TLF is, in and of itself, a Hogan tribute, always has been, and will continue to be one going forward. Every time you revisit the next set of three Colisseum tapes, you will teach us more about the Holtster. At that time, you will also still have at least four eighties pay per views to Deep Dive, not to mention Saturday Night's main event shows you can use to teach us more about Terry Hulk Cogan. I just think, is the next few years of TLF unfold, you could honor this part of his career life just by doing TLF business as usual. Yeah, I think that's what we're saying. Yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's kind of it'll feel.
Speaker 2: Like we're just picking shows like we always do, but we'll just bias shows that Hulk Cogan was a part of, which is a lot of the ones that people want us to do anyway.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: He then writes seventies Slash two thousand and two WWFE run with the above in mind, I suggest rewatching key moments from No Way Out two thousand and two T and H style. It works when you both watch matches and segments during the episode. You've done it for Terry, Sid Virgil, et cetera, and it was mostly how you structured TNH. The only other thing I could think of is covering some seventy stuff that you may have access to. Don't know if you have his Heel run original match with Andrea et cetera. Well, we'll see about that. Awa. I know you both love the Aaba Journey way back when and it started with Hogan leaving. Perhaps there are a few big matches you may have access to that could be good to be included.
Speaker 1: We you know, I did stumble upon something. Oh really, if you have mischief in your voice, I do, I do. I mean, I don't mind telling you right now that I forgot that I downloaded a while back. Ah an aw a tape from nineteen ninety the Best of Hull Cogan. Oh yeah, so we've got a lot of We've got some Hull Cogan stuff in there, like at least an hour's worth of Hull Cogan and stuff that, you know, probably stuff we haven't seen before. Probably yep, I'm sure they have the Bachwinkle match, but other stuff we haven't seen before.
Speaker 2: You know, I know that exact tape, and I'm trying to remember where along the way we incorporated that. It was probably the I know what it was. It was when we did the nineteen eighty four Genuarly ninetety four Madison Square Garden Show where he beats Iron Cheek.
Speaker 1: For the title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, went through that tape a bit and try to, you know, pick out some of the the last vestiges of Hull Comania and in AWA because I know that Ye Eric Bischoff in a green screen, right is the MC.
Speaker 1: For thatsh Off right right, It's like it's it's crazy. It's well, it's just crazy. How it's It's like, it's it's it's it's it's wild because obviously they can do it, they own the footage. How they were just trying to cash Oh yeah, ride.
Speaker 2: The wave because you know, somewhere in his mind, vern's like I made the fucking guy because the first time anyone said Hull Camania he was in the A w A. I mean, the first whole Camania t shirt was in the AWA. To deal with that reality, I mean, they put him in the ring and he was just so over as a baby face after Rocky three, that their original plans to have him be a mount monster heel managed by Johnny Valiant went right out the fucking window within a matter of months because after Rocky three he was just too fucking over. He was too the fans wanted him to be a good guy just so badly that they just went with it, and thus the whole coach and we all know was born. He writes, simply, put on, like Sid Terry Funk, Virgil Sabu would Hall, I don't think you need to keep doing show after show until you feel he's fully tributed. I feel like you'd be tributing him for several years to come. Yeah, it'll feel ograntic in that way. I know exactly what it means, perhaps until the cast comes to an end years down the line. Thanks for indulging my message is ever Thank you for the asked. You guys are a gift. Well, thank you, Mike, thanks for your support and for taking the time to write in some very insightful stuff there.
Speaker 1: Nick.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for joining that mote tier for only the bravest among us, and we understand it's a plunge. Sure, what a way to express support for what we do. And what a way to say, you know what this actually can be if you come real enough, you actually can make money. You know, like it's not just some like bullshit like you know, crying for penny stuff. It's like, no, you guys are doing something that deserves to be compensated like any high level production. And that's that's what's up, and that's the proof, and that's why people to this day just knocking our doors out of nowhere like hey, I saw, yeah, I know it.
Speaker 1: You saw you saw the Patreont number. I know its just saw Nick.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for your pledge. Welcome to the Executive Producer tier, my friend. We appreciated Morgan Cameron. A lot of these folks jumped up because of the call we made available, the call between the Boss and I sharing the news of all covens passing. That available exclusively in the MOTE tier. So we want to thank the the new arrivals there. So that's Morgan included. Thank you very much for your momp. Jacob had a great email. We're going on and on about what we should do about Hogan, and we put a next post out there and an Instagram post asking people what we should do. Jacob just wrote, you should do an episode about hul Cogan. Thanks, I think we got that covered great.
Speaker 1: I think that's great.
Speaker 2: Tyler writes, I'm sure you're inundated with emails, so I'll keep this brief. I feel Backlash O two needs to be part of the Hogan coverage. Something tells me, Boss, when we get those top ten lists, Backlash OH two is going to be on most of them.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be very, very, very popular.
Speaker 2: There's nothing more hul Cogan than the way he came back into that company and within a month Triple H was like losing to him. Triple H, the guy who could manufacture any circumstance he wanted to stay on top, the ultimate manipulator of circumstance, had to fall and pray at the knees of the Holkster. So satisfying to see happen in so many ways. He has to win that Stris app one final time. Tyler writes, Also, one show I've wanted needed for years now. Yeah, man, every show people have needed is going to be in this ho contribute. I think, right, I really have our time thinking about one of the real big we've needed this one for year shows that won't fit into what we're about to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, and it's funny again, like you said, it's it's it's interesting how all these shows are Hull Hogan. It's about Hull Cogan. It's not really you know, there aren't really other shows that people need that aren't Hogan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's what they need about it is yep, as they know us at Hogan works, and so they just want all of it, you know, and we can only get to so much as the years have turned. Paul E cautiously writes on Patreon, Lap serendipity. Indeed, while if anyone was deserving a full journey as Hogan, the nineteen ninety four Bash at the Beach episode is a great sendoff for the Hulkster, and the chairman did an admirable job without knowing the eventual weait this episode would carry. I look forward to the decade long retrospective there about to unleash and unsuspecting but completely prepared Solar system. That's another thing. It's nice to know bosses, we know they're ready for it, you know, we know we've earned their trust by doing things like this for other wrestlers in the past or other subjects in the past, we would I think we probably would have been a little hesitant in those early days if Hogan died in twenty fifteen, to turn the whole thing over to a Hogan Michi.
Speaker 1: I also think too, you know. You know what what I think also helps is is I think why these tributes. I think why we feel comfortable doing tributes that can go long, forever and forever or for whatever need, you know, like doing you know what six months of Terry Funk. The reason we can do that is because we also have so much you know, already already locked and loaded in the chain totally from the past, you know. Yeah. So it's like we've we we built up credibility, We've built up confidence, and so it it can you know, it'll.
Speaker 2: I mean I get motivated to climb a mountain, but I get even more motivated to fill in you know what I mean, things that happen.
Speaker 1: Oh took care of that, to care of that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like the huge peaks the valleys are now about to be agressed. As I said, absolutely, I look forward to the decade long retrospective. Prepared Jack's closing statement, Paul writes of quote, Hulk Hogan is still Hulk Cogan and everything is going to be all right. Was perfect, that is in fact the last thing I said.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's freaking crazy that he died after that. Yeah, unreal. Well, we have a retrospective here from Gareth. This one is so great.
Speaker 2: This would have been one that really would have been lovely to land in our mailbox. As we went to the tail end of TNH, we're going along boss and we realize, my god, Hulk Cogan's last match was on some untelevised UK swing that they did in the Blue White Impact Wrestling days. I just can't where he just came out and you know, his T shirt and wind pants and sneakers and you know, technically participated in a match, and that that was the final wrestling match of Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 1: Ish.
Speaker 2: It's part of why we had that kind of half melancholy, half celebratory feeling when he died, because we did ten H and we know that he did not go out as Hull Cogan should have gone out in the wrestling business, not even close.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, I mean again again, it's like they don't let themselves do that. Apparently, not they don't allow themselves. I mean it's also it is it is hard. There aren't many people. There aren't many. Jerry Seinfeld's right, there aren't many, No, really are you know, David where Letterman. You know these guys who who who say, you know what, now is the time and they have the balls actually followed through with it because you look at you look at actors like even Sean John Stewart came back for more. He had a great send off. But even then, like think about people who retire a lot of times, they retire against Sean Connery after a movie tanks, right, you know, Gene Hackman, same thing, Like, here are these legendary actors who you want to almost go out, you know, on an Academy Award type movie, a movie where they win an Oscar or a movie that makes billions and billions of dollars. But they don't. They go out when something sucks. That's when they're kind of in the like that's it's it's the it's it's ballsy to actually go out on a high note. Yeah, you know, it's balls y. Yeah, because you don't overstay. You're welcome, and that's a very difficult thing. To get right right anyway, Dear co Chairs, the idea of having come on board just a little too late has always been an overwhelmingly overwhelming feeling for me when it comes to wrestling. Being around the same age as the co chairs, wrestling was always on my radar, although too young to remember barely anything as it was canceled in nineteen eighty eight. My grandmother was a huge fan of World of Sport British Wrestling on TV. Another thing we've done a decent amount of Under the Cinemat, only because of Under the Cinemat, only because of Under the Cinemat and Pat Roach, you know, specifically, if I remember correctly, he was on on the last episode of the Wrestling I think we you know, and he talks about it in his book and he did a speech and everything, and I think we played it. We remember this, yeah, yeah, yeah, we played an interview. Yeah, but a bit of And I was aware of the existence of WWE from the snippets i'd managed to catch on my aunt's house as they had Sky Television, but try as I did, my parents would not get us that prized satellite dish, so WW on free TV and whatever tapes I could beg Borrow and Steal were my only exposure as the final as the final years of w hul Comania war on, Yet everyone knew that Hulk Hogan was the man, and finally, around my ninth birthday in May nine ninety three, had happened. Oh man, I feel like I know where this is going. My parents were going to get Sky TV, yes, mainly as my dad wanted to watch Premier League football soccer, but it didn't matter. Having stayed overnight in my aunt's house to watch Wrestlmania nine live, Oh my god, it was finally happening. I could watch WWETV every single week from home, also taping every single show to watch again at my grandparents' house with my grandfather, who maintained that wrestling was a shoot until the day he died in two thousand and one. I don't care the way you say over that. All right, I'm gonna tell you right now, Yes, it's fucking real. Those stupid cunts over in America telling you it's not real. It's fucking real. It can't possibly be real. It's real. Niceably, I love that. But as soon as I hit Gold, Disasters struck, wrestling was rapidly losing interest my school friends, who were all swapping wrestling stickers and having schooler discussions about SummerSlam and Surviversaries ninety two. We're moving on by night. By SummerSlam nineteen ninety three, I was barely the only kid still watching, and even worse, the stars I was so desperate to watch were disappearing week by week. Who the fuck are men on a mission? Why is the MOUNTI now called Jacques? Where the real stars like Warrior Gune? And why isn't Macho Man wrestling anymore? But it was Hulk, but it was okay. Hulk was the WWE champion and the rest I could live with. We know the rest, and Hulk was gone by SummerSlam. That's the funny thing. I just love that he's not gone by SummerSlam. To me, No, he's gone by King of the RG. Oh yeah, but because he's in the UK, that's the last summer but not him. Yep, exactly. The house shows they were promoting on Sky against Yokozuna led to nothing on TV. Yep, Hulk popped up in WW but it wasn't the same. Yes, it was better than nothing, but this wasn't what I wanted. Even if me and Jeene and Heenan were there to keep him company. Over here in Europe, the steroid trial didn't make the headlines at all, so it was all so confusing. I wanted Hulk in the WWE. God damn it. I wanted it to be nineteen ninety two, WW Forever the stars I'd been deprived of all under the WW banner, just like I've longed for the nineties. Trump trundled on and I tried to catch up on the nineteen eighties and very early nineties stuff that I'd missed by way of borrowing or buying whatever Colisseum video releases I could get my hands on. Traveling to watch WB or even WW wrestling shows wasn't an option growing up in rural Wales. Traveling to England's big cities just wasn't something you did. But as we know, by twenty ten, Hogan was in TNA, the promotion I've been most closely following since the mid two thousands. Man, you poor son of a bit.
Speaker 2: That's why TNA was so big in the UK. It was a chance for this generation to experience a lot of those stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah yuess So as adults and with Hulk on the poster and now working and in a position of having disposable income, it was a no brainer. But little did I know that a house show at Manchester Arena in January twenty twelve was to be the Big Man's final match ever. Attending the show with a friend having only expected a Hogan promo, the show wore on, but come mean of end time, still no appearance. Was he going to even show up? A six man tag? And I of the Tigers started to play as hulk Amnia was displayed on the big screen. Fuck. No one had seen Hulk come out to I of the Tiger since around eighty six. I was a kid again. Never before or since have I regressed so much to the extent that I was a nine year old kid again, transfixed on the TV as Hulk Hogan waltzed out with his disgusting black eye at WrestleMania. I mean, think about this too, Okay, remember remember.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 1: What WrestleMania thirty five? Thirty five? The one I went to in uh yeah, the last one went to Yeah? Okay, And I and I you know, the first match we know is gonna be They're going to open with uh with Seth and Brock, and I decided I didn't care that much, and I'm gonna go get my kid some some you know, a shirt or a toy or something like that. But then as I'm walking, as I'm walking down from our nosebleed seats, and I leave the arena for two seconds, and then all of a sudden, Real American comes blaring on and I run back up to our seat so we can record that ship because I knew and I'm not gonna miss hul Kogan in WrestleMania, no fucking way, exactly exactly. I mean, that's why listen if you listen to our Saturday Night's main event coverage from this past whatever it was December, you listen to that. Were we not excited at first to see Hulk Cocain? Oh yeah, the moment that the music hit, we scream, we go crazy, and then it slowly dawns on you that, oh wait a minute, this is the same guy who's a piece of shit. It's weird. It's a very weird thing. Because again, this is this is this is the this is the problem with being a wrestling fan because it is hard. It is hard at times to differentiate the man from the character, or the woman from the character or whatever, and that is that that's that's the that's the that's a huge issue, huge issue. Well, so many of them are the same and so many of them are not. The thing is. But the thing is, though, is that you can forgive the character. The character can be forgiven pretty easily. The human being behind it. Not always because the character you know, you love or you hate based on what they do in the ring on TV. You don't judge per se the character like you do the human being. I'm not gonna judge. Listen, the Whole Cogan character that I grew up with on on on as a kid in late ninety one and early ninety two, he didn't have sex at all. So there's no way there would be a sex tape because he's an a sexual individual. Okay, no wrestler had sex. In my mind, like I didn't even think about it. And there was no way that Whole Cogan was a racist, and there was no way that that Whole Cogan would support anybody who would destroy the or try to destroy the country. But that's not Terry Burlett, that's Hull Cogan. That's the character hul Cogan that that's that's the weird, that's that's that again, that's the problem. That is the problem because because they're so because we because that they're that they there was such that that blending of the fiction and the reality in wrestling, there that there has been because you got to begin. You know, they insist on on on portraying everything as a shoot. It's why you can't. It's why you know, you can watch say, okay, Star Wars, or you can watch a James Bond movie and you don't have to. You don't even I don't even know the politics of the guys who played James Bond. I don't know. I just know James Bond. I don't know you know, Sean con I mean outside of his tex stuff that we've talked about, you know, but in terms of you know, I mean, we know, we know, but it's like I don't whether I agree, it doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of James Bond. James Bond is James Bond. I'm gonna love the movie. That's that's the difference, is that they blurred the lines so much that it is hard for wrestling fans. It's hard, and it's even harder for people who aren't wrestling fans. Two understand why wrestling fans, no matter where they are on the political social spectrum, why they can be why they'd want to pay tribute to this person Because we're not paying tribute to Terry Blea. We're paying tribute to the character of Hulk Hogan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And to have fans decided us whether they can be two different people, and the fans decided in his case they can't be. If the fans don't boo when he comes out as Hull Cogan. After all this, we would be perfectly within our rights to receive him as we receive James Bond instead of Sean Connery. Yep, it's that live audience component that makes the difference.
Speaker 1: I think of what he allen but it's but it's also but it's also too because think about it like this, James James Bond wouldn't come out and support Donald Trump. Well no, I mean he's not a real person. Hulk Cogan is not a real person. Well we know that for sure, But you know what I mean, Like again, this is this is where the problem is is that is that is that people when you see Terry Blea out on the campaign with you know, I'm at that at the fucking Republican National Convention with fucking Donald Trump, which just like we saw the rock at the Republican National Convention in two thousand, right right, when you see these guys there, it becomes even more confusing.
Speaker 2: It doesn't because the conventions buying the character, right, and they're willing to sell the character. Like it would be the same exact thing. On the other way, like if if James you also wouldn't see James Bond come out for the Democratic National Convention for abomba, that'd be just absurd, Like what does James Bond being on the stage.
Speaker 1: It would it would be completely absurd.
Speaker 2: Like Trump, Trump is one of those introduce He's one of those gimmicks. You know, there is there is a He's a gimmick. And so of course it makes sense that he's got room under the tent for these half gimmick things, because that's that's how he became a bajillionaire.
Speaker 1: I know, and and again but but but what I'm what I'm saying though, is that it this because I'm again, I just keep thinking of so many people who I'm friends with who have posted things who are like, how can people feel this way about about this this this this you know, awful human band? And it's like, because I don't feel that way. For Terry Blea Wolverine isn't gonna get caught on a wire tap, making Slight have to worry about it exactly, you know, don't get to have that. You're not going to catch Batman on a fucking sex tape, all right, Batman's not gonna sue Gawker, you know, like like this, this is and and and so it's just it's it's it's so it's so bizarre and it's so crazy. Like all the wrestlers have done fucked up ship. You know, this is the one that just you can't you can't get around it. You know, you can't like no, you know what I mean, you can't not bring it up. We can't talk around it. No, No, all these other you know, not all of these, but there's so many wrestlers. There's so much fucked up shit.
Speaker 2: Like you could lay out the fact pattern of like Savage and Liz in a way where you're like whoa or like Savagen of course his relationship with Stephanie Beller's Gorge George and the taping her and stuff. You this was just about any carne motherfucker. Really, It's just that Hogan had a wire tap.
Speaker 1: But uh, you know, his is just a key.
Speaker 2: We can't have nice things because Hull Cogan should have been something we could take to the grave. Yeah, just like Superman, Spider Man anything like that. But whatever, No, Gareth, Gareth, Gareth went out there. Gareth was watching as Hull Cogan came out in the UK.
Speaker 1: Yep, yes he was. Uh, here we go. So I kidding in Uh, finally, in my late twenties, I was expecting what I'd seen hundreds of thousands of American and Canadian kids being able to do with huge envy. At the time, the match or any star rating was inconsequential. The fact was that I'd finally seen Hulk Hogan wrestle. A year later, the Big Man was back for TV taping, even showing up for a meet and greet, which allowed me to briefly shake Hogan's absolutely massive hand and get a photo taken with the icon. I had no idea at the time that this was his last match. Why would it be, Why would it be in a six man tag in front of forty two hundred fans and a house show in England. Surely TNA or even WWE would promote one final match, but as the year years wore on, it became clear that this wouldn't happen. Fast forward to twenty twenty five probably speaks volumes about his chaotic private life that my first thought upon reading the initial reports of Hulk Hogan's death were, Oh, this is more, This is more Bubba the love sponge bullshit. When I saw the w B tweeted, it hit home and my first thought was just sadness. Sadness about how the greatest career in wrestling had disintegrated to him being booed in his last w B appearance, how his family unit had been ripped apart, and his well, I would say, he'll he allowed it to be ripped it apart. Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, like his infidelity. It was a big thing here, folks. It wasn't just that it was ripped apart. He did a he was a I'm not saying he was completely at fault, but he had a big fucking part in it, big fucking part. And his death being subject to joy and ridicule by a large chunk of your wrestling twitterati. I found a lot of the reaction to be largely dependent on age and when you were a fan. Absolutely, of course, absolutely, that's of course, you know, if you don't, if you didn't grow up with him, of course why would you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't have anything to lose by saying fuck that guy, if you don't have any like personal conflict like that, of course it's easy to say that guy sucks, Like, shut the fuck up, right, You don't have to, you don't have to deal with the fact that, like he was so formational, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right right, get it, Crispin Juan Guerrero for example, or most of those, most of those hailed as the best technical wrestlers never did anything for me. I've never really cared about match quality, and I've always been more interested in all the bullshit surrounding the actual in ring action as a kid. To this day, I find matches longer than ten minutes without a major story to be a chore to watch. So with my taste firmly matching what hul Comania offered, I wouldn't have become a wrestling fan at all. Were it not for Hulk Hogan. Clearly, Terry Bulay the man was a different matter. His usual humorous and sometimes problematic lies were beyond even what you'd expect from a jock who spent twenty five years hammering cocaine and steroids and having his brain battered three hundred days a year. Also held racist views and was caught on tape making comments that couldn't be construed as anything else. But forgive me if I'm not shocked that an academicallylimited man from Florida who grew up during the late sixties and early seventies held personal views that I wouldn't agree with and would consider distasteful. His views, or most of his values, couldn't be further from mine, and at hazard that these particular comments were probably tame compared to anything we'd have heard in the w W dressing room during the nineteen eighties. Yet even Brett Hard has gone on record, as have dozens of others, on how great he was with Make a Wish kids and kids wanting autographs, usually going well beyond the call of duty. At least he didn't go beyond the call of duchie. That'd be a little worse and while his mantra wasn't backed up by his personal actions, I'd like to think that they had some sort of positive positive impact on millions upon millions of children growing up in the nineteen eighties in nineteen nineties, due to his sheer celebrity, he was and will always be held under the microscope to a degree that his contemporary He's probably managed to escape. A deeply complicated man in figure, but worthy of a nuanced look back in the fashion that I know that only the lapsed universe can. There are millions of forty to fifty year olds who, deep inside their younger selves, are more than a little sad. Since the twenty fourth of July, thank you co Chairs for the memories, thank you for the inspiration, and thank you for Hull Commania. That's wonderful, one of the best emails. Thank you ever. That right there is the best ever. That says it all.
Speaker 2: And to have been there for that last match they didn't realize it was the last match is so befitting a.
Speaker 1: Whole only only forty two hundred people, Well for TNA, that's double their highest No I know, but I'm saying like there are They're like, that's a handful of people, Like, can you think about all the people who've seen Hulk Hogan, Like, not many people were there. It's a it's an elite group who were there for Hulk Hogan's final match. And I like that nuance he pointed out, which I don't think I ever appreciated, which was that people came to the arena knowing that Hulk Hogan was there. He was advertised as appearing, but everyone came and expecting an interview segment or some kind of angle, and so you don't see him the whole show. That's part of why it gets such a big pop when he comes out, because that clip is out there. It's like fancam though, because it wasn't a TV taping When he gets such a massive pop, Eye the Tiger, it's Gareth points out, it's because people had gone all night not seeing Hulk and thought, well, maybe he's not gonna show. Yeah, right, and then here he comes and it ends up being a match. And I'm sure in his head, we'll do this a couple more times, three more times. If I feel up to it, I'll just go out there and what part of a match? How many times he fucking said I'm getting murdered for Wrestlmania. Brother around, well he is.
Speaker 2: He's never gonna close that door because he doesn't know what kind of check Vince is going to dangle. We spent a lot of time during the teenage journey getting into something that isn't really talked about enough, and he talks a lot about it during his Laser Spine lawsuit deposition about how Vince was making serious offer for him to come in and wrestle John Cena in like two thousand and what six maybe or seven or eight. Yeah, Yeah, there was there was serious son treaties about doing that. It was part of the leverage he had to get a good deal out of TNA, was that Vince was still actively interested in putting him in the ring against John Cena for a big WrestleMania event. You know, Vince has always been so fixated on this idea of Hulk being the Babe Ruth character that you know, but he's a living Babe Ruth. He's not just the Babe Ruth. He also someone that occasionally, right, I know, I know, but Vince saw this vision of him as a guy who occasionally would actually show up and play for the Yankees. You know once a year, right, and how great could that be? While also limiting the way.
Speaker 1: You imagine if that was a thing in baseball, like legends should come back for like one goal ted Ted Williams is chirogenically preserved.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's true. Maybe one day we'll see it. You'll walk back out there. Travis writes, Hey, boys, When I think of my discovery of the Holkstore as a child and the magic of being a little kid trying to figure out when I could ever actually see this man wrestle on TEA, one show comes to mind Saturday Night's main event. There were thirty thirty Saturday Nights main events in the Hull Comania era. Hulk wrestle on twenty six of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, you didn't wait.
Speaker 2: To see what you guys come up with, whatever it may be. Yeah, that's gonna be a tough one. We've spent a lot of time talking about how we dress Saturday Night's main event as part of what will come to be called the Complete hulll Cogan. I think you can expect us to definitely touch on them as we go, but we also don't really want to do a Saturday Night's main event journey and call it a tribute to Hulk Hogan, which.
Speaker 1: It would be, I mean, would also be here for like another decade, like the next decade of TLF, would be all all.
Speaker 2: The reasons to elongate this. That would be a pretty weak one. But we'll talk about and watch the matches, you know. The balance we want to strike is the way we did Lapsed Funk, where we watch key moments as they go, but we don't ever do an entire event really and traditional TLF, where entire events is what you want, you know, and we can do both with Helkovin, we can do both. And so just because we talk about a Saturday Nights main event that Hulk cogn main event and perhaps even watch said match, doesn't mean we covered that whole Saturday Night's main event and that therefore it will never never be eligible for Deep Divage at some other point. So that's what I'd say, and that won't be the case for everyone, But we'll be very selective around Saturday's main event, Clash of the Champions, you know, things that he did that were big and memorable, But at the same time, it just adds so many more potential events to the Deep Dive list again top ten and if you want to put a Saturday Night's main event on there be my guest, because like I said, we won't deep dive any of them. I know what Saturday Nights Made events are on my short list. If we were to go hull Hog, I think we all do yes. Jojosmanios, thank you very much for your pledge. Welcome into the Solar system. We deeply appreciate your patronage and support. Noe, thanks very much for bumping up to that mote tier. Presumably get a taste to that faithful call. Jordan, thank you very much for joining in the VIP tier. Tony writes, greetings co chairs, A longtime fan, and I just heard you're taking ideas for the Hogan tribute, So I'm just gonna spitball some stuff. You guys have done such a thorough job covering Hogan's in ring and movie career, but you haven't covered the Hulk Cogan and the wrestling Bootman.
Speaker 1: We did a little bit, but I guess we haven't called him the fucking full CD.
Speaker 2: This shit is truly horrible. He says he did this with Julie Hart and it's the worst shit you've ever listened to, And that's just one song.
Speaker 1: Other ideas a.
Speaker 2: Lapsed funeral the universe of Laps characters Hey now, oh, Saint Editor at the Gate laps To Hogan gets to the Pearly Gates, but is greeted by the lapsed editor, who rolls him up from behind for the one two three Wow Wow Heaven doesn't work for me. Brother laps To. Hogan makes it to Heaven, but immediately throws a fit when he goes into God's Lapsed Fritz office and sees he's been booked to lose to David von Eirek. He refuses to do the job and insists on invoking his creative control clause. God Lapsed Fritz reminds Hogan that he sent his boy to die for our sins, so Hogan has to job. After all, Heavy needed a champion. How might that sound, Boss? As far as Fritz go, Oh God.
Speaker 1: Sunday, August third, at noon, the Lapse fan take go ahead. I just want to say, and my boy, I shut my boy down. He died for our sins. He lived seventy five years and twenty five and I think it's time you do the job. I'm in the year sad Hope live in seventy one. Fritz, Betsy, I think you lived twenty five years and seventy one, so it works in reverse order. I see, I thought I thought he would lived one hundred and forty some days years. Well, brother, I just want to say, dude, I understand where you're coming from.
Speaker 5: Brother.
Speaker 1: I want to just kind of like get on the same page with the big man upstairs, dude. But here's where I'm thinking, Brother. What I'm not digging, dude, is this kind of you know, like we're talking about who's going over who's so I just want to know. So what I have, brother. You know what I kind of agreed upon, dude, and I could have sworn the you know you signed this with me, brother, but that it was for a long time dude, that when the time came where Hule Cogan was going to kind of make that big trip upstairs, Dude, I have this contract signed by the by the good, by the Holy Father Almighty brother, saying that I do have creative control over anything that goes on in heaven. So let's kind of get on the same page too, because I'm not going to play hide the ball anymore with the big Man.
Speaker 2: Brother Contiac Heaven Dome, laps Tope Lapstoken reunites with laps Andre for Heaven Mania three, but this time laps Andre gets to slam Lapstog and his laps Tooken does the job. He finally finds peace in putting someone else over. Love you guys, love this.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, listen that that that would be that right there? If if if if? That would be hull Cogan's version of hell is having to lose to everybody over and over and over again. That's that's that's his version of l How many AI images did we get of him covering Yokozuna in Heaven? Yeah? Well what about the inverse? Read everyone he put out he gets their win back. CJ.
Speaker 2: Want to thank you very much for bumping up to the MOTE tier. We very much appreciate that. Great to see Tom going to be joining us. Several Toms actually are going to be joining us coming up in New York, so we appreciate that. Ao t D thank you very much for joining the VIP tier.
Speaker 1: We appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Ness or Aka Sam writes to us here a relative to hul Cogan as seen as he writes here by a two thousands kid. There's a perspective you don't get on too often, so Boss, if you could please regale the solar system.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, I've been a fan since discovering your show in twenty fourteen on Reddit during the Mania Journey, but have never written in. But with the death of the most famous wrestler ever to live, as well as the possibly the main protagonist of the lapsed fan these eleven years, I just have to send something in. I was born in nineteen ninety nine, well past the glory days of Jocomania, and I became a fan in early two thousand and five, around the time Batista I turned on Triple H and began his hunt for the world title. It was in this fateful year of two thousand and five where I was infected with the curse of wrestling fandom. That he was born in nine ninety nine, even a fan since he was fifteen years old of our show. That's something I don't think about this. I don't people that got into our show when they were kind of like teenagers, not even late barely high school, barely high school. That's bizarre, that's wild. I need to know more about that. Honestly, I was infected with the curse of Wrestling phantom that Hulk Hogan came onto my radar for the first time. Most people would probably point to Hogan Knows Best or his program with Hbka as to what might make a new fan to take notice of Hogan in two thousand and five. That's a weird thing to think about, too. What's that the idea that you're not that you've never really someone his age, never seen Hull Cogan, and you get introduced to Hull Cogan via his reality show. It's fucking ridiculous. It's ridiculous. It's it's it's it's perverse.
Speaker 2: One of the key realizations we had during Bash at the Peach ninety four was like you said, whole Cogan really to you, in terms of when you became a fan ninety one, is more of a WCW wrestler than a.
Speaker 1: W W exactly that that that's that is so true. That is so unbelievable. It's weird, you know, Like I always I equate so much more with him in w CW, so so far to for for this guy, for Sam, he equates the reality show guy. Yeah, that's just that's wild, you know, and that's so so wacky. I mean, it's the same thing with with people. It's it's it's hard to think about the fact that that that John Seen has been wrestling so long that people who were like the kids who were fans of him when everyone was booing him are adults today. God, Like, that's the thing, Like you think about an eleven year old kid who was at WrestleMania twenty Wrestlming twenty three in Detroit, you know where I'm proclaiming, yes, you know, and they're agreeing with me that you need see seven two thousand and seven. They're now twenty eight years old, twenty eight years on the pushing thirty right, So like, again, those are the fans who are not booing John Cena now that he started. Hell, they're the ones who didn't want to see a heel turn. I'm having trust some weird man in trouble with this. Yes, yes, it's a very it's it's really it's a hard thing to fathom honestly, that you know, especially too when you when you think about the fact that we were adults for the beginning of John Cena's career and now it's twenty three years later, So that's just you know, there we are a little bit. Where was I there? Oh? Here? Most people know Hogan's the best or his program with HBK as to what might make a new FanTac note of vocal gum in two thousand and five. But what got me intrigued by the Hulkster was the SmackDown Versus Raw two thousand and six video game that came out at the end of the year. If you have ever played that game I have, you might remember that, unlike every other wrestler on the roster that only had one playable character model, Hogan had three different characters, those being nineteen eighties Hogan, Hollywood Hogan, and two thousands Hogan. To my six year old mind, the fact that Hogan had three characters in my favorite wrestling game while everyone else had only one automatically slatted him above everyone. Sure, it makes sense, and from that point on I figured out. I figured he must have been a god compared to the rest of the mere mortals. He was, he was im mortal. That childhood impression is stuck with me until I discovered your show. I lapsed in twenty ten after the retirement of Shawn Michaels and didn't think about wrestling again until twenty fourteen when I stumbled on the Squared Circle subridit, which is where I found you after someone posts about your interviews with Uncle Dave. It is this unrelenting odyssey that you have taken us on for the past eleven years that has taken Hulkogan from being an almighty being graced all my being, an almighty being that graced my PlayStation two and filled me with wonder at the seemingly mythical world of wrestling before my birth, to being little more than a living stuck even when he's at his peak, whether it's documenting him taking eighties pop culture by storm in the WrestleMania Journey documentary, his fight to get back his ninety percent from Vernon the a Toba, his case making testimony in the trial of his life, the Bash two thousand, collision with Russo, the Cherry on the Hull Hogan shit Sunday that was TNH, or even a random show that he has nothing to do with. This show has deconstructed and reconstructed the very idea of Alkgogan correct. Despite it all, I can I can also say that I never would have gained whatever appreciation that I do for the man without the cast your deep Dives or the Mania six match with Warrior, the Mania eighteen match with Rock, the ninety six Bash Heel Turn, all the shows during the high water marks of the nWo really opened my eyes to the fact that Terry Bella had other worldly abilities that we will likely never see again in the world. A professional wrestling we can be and we have been. Yep, that's right. Obviously, the last decade and a half hasn't been kind to the Hulkster with his many sordid adventures that were expertly and hilariously chronicled in TNH. But honestly, what can you expect. Artists, creative types, or entertainers throughout all of human history have constantly shown just about every negative and anti social, anti social trait that you can imagine, And when you are dealing with the dregs of the entertainment world that is professional wrestling, I think you're fooling yourself to expect anything different from these guys. Professional wrestling, especially in the era that Hogan broke in but still to this day, is a business of lying, manipulation, bullying, scheming, drugs, and easy women. Oh correct, Oh, probably some easy men too. Let's not you know, an easy non binary folks. Let's not just fuckingone's getting off everyone exactly. Listen, everyone's getting off, everyone's getting laid, everyone's exactly. Everyone is just out for themselves, all wrapped up in a nomadic existence where you have perfectly good reason to be in a different city or state from one night to the next. It should be no surprise to anyone that Hogan or many of the men of his ilk warrant exactly paragon. It's a virtue, I guess. To try and wrap up my rambling, I can say that for Hull Cogan is many things to many people. He's an icon of the glory years of wrestling. He's probably responsible for more people becoming wrestling fans than any other wrestler ever. He was possibly the most charismatic force ever in the business. He was maybe the greatest worker ever in his ability to push an issue and get people invested in his matches. He was selfish, he was self centered. He lied as easy as an normal person breathes. He was in many ways a piece of shit. But here at the end of his life, I think the answer for me is simply that Hull Cogan is a joke that will never stop being funny. You're well right there. It's proof of what he said exactly yours and lapsed, Sam PSU rest in peace, Ozzy. As a lifelong Black Sabbath fan, the news of his death ruined my week and really lessened the impact of Hogan's death for me. Once he hears this, I'm sure Terry will be trying to get some of the heat back in the afterlife. You brother, what why do you follow Hulk Hogan? Oz Izzy Yo Yo oz Izzy? Brother? What's going on? Dude?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 1: Dude? You know what? Brother?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What's it is? Dude? What do you do?
Speaker 2: Because you came on before me and I went on last at Wrestlingia to brother, we got to redo that in terms of our death. Brother, you get a count? Why are you follow me up in the in the the the Everlasting Life, Dude was going on the three which of the three sil cast locations did you die?
Speaker 1: Your brother? Brother? Wait a minut it to you get a name with Saint Peter. Brother, brother, brother, brother, you've been talking? What did you what happened to the gates?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 1: What did what happened? How did you get in here?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 1: Who let you in? Saint Peter let you in? Dude? Mhm, Ozzy is characteristic sign itself. Whoa whoa, whoa whoa whoa Dude, that's redonaldising back in, brother. I'm not trying to create any tension between you know, me and the is Oz brother. Pull the nose up on this thing, namely the coke table that you're on. Uh, Hogan and Ozzy Jordan, Ozzy and Hogan and Ozzie and Harry again, Ossie and Hogan Jordan. Greetings co chairs.
Speaker 2: As Terry has died today, I'm sure you're formulating how you'll cover the event accordingly. Obviously, the vast majority of the important bits in his career have already been deep dived. And I think you even said during the T and H journey how the entire life of DLF has in many ways been the Hull Cogan journey. In any event, I look forward to whatever you come up with, and decided to share some random thoughts that had come to mind with his death. A quick preface. I never had the real nostalgia for fandom for the man, or fandom for the man. I started watching WWF as a kid around nineteen ninety nine, it was only vaguely aware of him as a WCW guys video games. Is that you can't you can't write, You don't other one don't you don't you don't you know? Being a fan in ninety nine does not do. Of course, I can understand why you would not be a fan. You can imagine Hogan coming back out in The Red and Yellow Boss in the Fall of ninety nine on Nitro and a bunch of the audience being like, what is this? What am I supposed to be excited about here? That the Hull Cogan wing these different colors?
Speaker 1: Why are people caring about this?
Speaker 2: Da of him as a ww guy through video games? Since I didn't watch ww my first actual exposure to Hull Cogan was in the two thousand and two run and never resonated much childhood me. I didn't dislike him per se, but it just wasn't a character that I found particularly engaging twelve year old and me also thought a leg drop was not the best. I lapsed around two thousand and five oh six and really didn't think about Hulk Hogan and wrestling broadly for many years. My childhood fandom generally didn't involve any of the backstage gossip, so I was unaware of Terry's fuckery until getting into wrestling podcasts like your Own many years later. That also came around the same time as the Gawker trial and learning that Terry was a racist scumback. I appreciate TF over the years trying to crystallize why Hogan was the critical success he was, while also lampooning the man appropriately for the absolute ghoul that Terry Bolla was. It has been interesting seeing much of the Internet shitting on Terry in the wake of his death. Another thing TLF has done over the years is show how wrestling is often a microcosm of society, especially in the United States in the last few years in particular, been impossible to ignore how much of the social contract he writes of society is torn is actually its own form of k fabe. People are expected to fill a role society is to find for them, and are expected not to think, only to happily consume. The biggest possible social misstep often seems to be that if you dare break the cafe bellution and call shenanigans on the actual often pitiful state of affairs.
Speaker 1: But I digress.
Speaker 2: My final thoughts on Terry. It is fitting that those few left who still lionize him view themselves, and by extension, their idolized version of America as the nineteen eighties Hull cogin character as the valiant good guy, strong, righteous, courageous, standing up for the greater good. Sad reality is, though those few lefts still lionizing him seem to actually very much have the same character as actual Terry bo lea dishonest, conniving, hateful, bigoted, cowardly, ultimately pathetic. Sadly, America's actual values and action seem to mirror Terry bo Lea far more than they mirror the Hull coke and heroic ideal. I look forward to whatever you guys come up with. It is hard to believe there is much more to uncover about Terry than you guys have already touched on, but I know the cast usually finds a way to on earth new truths. Jordan, Well, thanks, I wouldn't say there is a lot to unearthed. I don't think that's what we're about now on this one. No, No, this one's just about saying what needs to Be said, this one's about appreciation a critical assessment as much as it is about you know, we've we've spent a lot of time talking about Terry Bolea. It might be time now to just talk about whole COVID, just saying we've earned that, right, Yeah, Nicholas Newbe, thanks very much for doubling ear pledge. We appreciate that and hope you enjoy all the benefits that you're entitled to. Caleb Bright's doer Co Chairs. This is my first email, long overdue. I became a fan of TLF in twenty twenty one when I stumbled across the Crispno episode. I thought it was in for a grim true crime deep dive. What I got with something else, entirely a mad, brilliant dissection of the business that instantly hooked me and never let go. I know you're both Hasbro kids. I was born in ninety one, no pay per view, no rented wrestling tapes, just broadcast TV until two thousand. For me, wrestling with something you found, Yeah, I have memories of shotgun Saturday Night, WCW Saturday Night, maybe even a foggy glimpse.
Speaker 1: I can agree with that, though, I can. I can identify with that, because that's how it was for me too. Yes, it was like up until I started, until up until that fateful Sunday after Survivor's SERI and before Tuesday and Texas. I I it was something that I found. I didn't I didn't seek it out all the time. I found it, and I I that that that was it. I founded several times and just didn't continue to watch until that one that one time. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 5: The fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the laps Fan. He's an lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and carn Seo MJP Soro.
Speaker 2: I have memories of shot etcetera. Okay, and maybe even a foggy glimpse of VCW airing on some cursed local channel at one am. I couldn't tell you what year, what channel, only that it felt like forbidden magic. I became a diehard when SmackDown hit UPN and once we got satellite in two thousand, it was over.
Speaker 1: I was in.
Speaker 2: I lived at the tail end of the attitude Ura and beyond. Like many in the Solar System, I eventually became lapsed for me. It was when WWE fumbled the Nexus angle. I came back for sparks Punk pulled me in with the pipe bomb, only for them to blow that too. Anyway, I digress. I know the POD's been running since twenty fourteen. I know you've covered a lot of Hogan, but let's be real. You are both better now than you've ever been. The craft is sharper, the perspective richer. There's more information now, more hindsight, more meat on the bone than ever before. The time is right. And I'm just gonna say it. If Sabu qualified for a journey, and by God, I'll cook and qualifies, don't be bitches, he writes. This is the journey to end all journeys, the big one, the main event, the final boss, and if I may the last fan may be just a tiny little podcast, but if you inject some hull cog and rocket fuel into this thing, if you ride the lightning bolt of Hulkelemania, I truly believe you can pull the nose up. This is the pivot, the resurrection, the one that gets us back on track.
Speaker 1: Good. So don't hide the ball, don't act like we've heard it all because we haven't. Not like this. This isn't the journey we want. This is the journey we fucking need and only you two can do it.
Speaker 3: Justice.
Speaker 1: Do it for the Solar System, do it for whole Comania. Oh, they do it for the Rock.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure do it for He'll be listening. I did note in his Instagram story reflecting on WrestleMania eighteen after Hulk COVID's passing that Rock was sure to refer to his match with Hulk as the main event of WrestleMania eighteen. Nice fuck you to Triple H. Yeah right at Triple H, by the way, who insisted on narrating and voicing over the Hull Co contribute package on SmackDown.
Speaker 1: Like, well, you know it's Triple H. After all, Triple A and Triple H.
Speaker 2: It's the only guy talking on the stage when they're all standing out there for the ten bell salute.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. He's such a fucking egomaniac. It's like, it's really it's it's really pathetic. You know the insecurity is there, man? Yeah, like you know it it it used to be. I mean, at least it's not obviously as it's that's the thing. It's when when when it was happening, you know, in the early two thousands, it was infuriating because he was ruining everybody who had possibility, correct, right, everybody who had possibility was stuck.
Speaker 2: In this ultra art and this guy is going to rise, maybe he'll be the guy to excite us, and then Triple H beats.
Speaker 1: Him, right, and and then he they become he becomes the guy that excites us and we're ready for it, and he ruins it by beating you know. It just was so so awful. But now now that here he is, he's you know, I want to just he's the boss, all right. I'm just gonna he's the boss. And it's like you don't need to do that anymore, Like you don't need to be the center of attention, you don't need to be up there, So what are you doing? And he's just it's just pathetic. It says it is pathetic. I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree that there might be some like you know, and strategy as far as like let me continue to be the cafe boss to the fans so that they want me around, and there's never like a movement to try to get rid of me and unseat me, but insisting on being in every wrestle Mania commercial and the curtain drops on the first Netflix, like, we don't need that, we don't need you like reminding us that you had something to do with this. You know, just let it play. Yeah it be I know, And he's sometimes really good about that, but other times it's just so sad. You just you wonder, like, you know, if he's just constantly just looking over his shoulder about Dwayne, and you know what I mean, he'll take any opportunity to get in front of the bar, tell.
Speaker 1: Them, well, I said, you can always lod your shoulder, brother, because you know who's coming with from behind.
Speaker 2: That's the legacy health leaves right Ross Hamrick, thank you very much for your pledge. Welcome into the solar system, Bryce writes, the day of the patron Saint of Hoof Dies, I pay my tithes to the co chairs, to bump my ass to the fucking moat, tear to stand vigil amongst the masses, listening to the call. This may be right, it's the call of calls. It felt that way. I will tell you that it felt that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean the only one that I can feel might be bigger is the Vince McMahon one, if and when that happens.
Speaker 2: President of what, thank you very much for bumping up your pledge, President of taking care of the CoA chairs. That's what you're the president of. Joseph Neubauer, thanks for pumping up your pledge all the way to the mote tier John and Bristol, England, gentlemen, you've done it all, from the Journey through a WA right up to SummerSlam two thousand and five and almost everything in between, the Manias, Rent, Slams, Rumbles, Survivors Series, WCW and beyond TNA Thunderdome. What's left is a fitting tribute to probably the most memorable wrestler of our time, Backlash two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: That one's got to be in here.
Speaker 2: I think we've settled on that one. You may even leave that one off your top ten because that's pretty much done and dusted. Yeah, right, one last run with the title the last man to b WWF Champion WWF.
Speaker 1: That is not WWE Holy sh take care of that. Take take your time with that, Take your time with it. I never fucking even thought of that. That's un fucking believable brother brother brother. Wait. Wait, so he's the I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna break my own k fabe here. Okay, so he's the last WWF champion and the first WWE champion Brother brother brother because it happened in the middle, right, happened in the middle of his fucking thing, I am. I mean, listen, it's been twenty three years and I'm just realizing that it was.
Speaker 2: It was amazing that all the started to transpire just as we arrived at our caricature version of this guy, that second decade of Holthoven fandom that we both went through together.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: And not just like you said, like WWF gives way to WWE. He's back and he's holding the belt all over again. Hilarious.
Speaker 1: That's why I say this guy's a legend man, Like we all know that he captivated us in the eighties and nineties, But when this guy was able to come back and get the strap on him, like this guy's oh, you can't. You can't question this guy how he moves. When that happened. Yeah, listen, there's.
Speaker 2: Because he could barely I mean, he could do some stuff, but he could barely move compared to like, you know, eighties Hulk Hogan amazing one last run with the title. The Political Chess played to take the title from Triple As just thirty days after his crowning glory at Many eighteen. I know, think about that too. Triple Ah had just won the title in the show closing bout against Christ Jericho, right and a month later. The only thing the only thing that makes sense for the company to do is have him lose it to Hulk Cogan. Isn't that amazing? Oh Mania eighteen JP said it best on the Batch of the Beach ninety four show. Hulk was always a step ahead. The game went on last in Toronto, but Hulk had already written the manual in nineteen eighty five and perfected it for eight WrestleManias in a row. He knew what he was doing against the Rock. He timed his change to the red and yellow to perfection, rode the wave and stood atop the mountain, breathing rare air. That one last time, it must have been just like the old times. For a fleeting moment, Vincent haulk back on top. Perhaps both knew it wouldn't last. Maybe in their heart of hearts, they just hoped it would back last two thousand and two, one last run one two THROUGHNOI.
Speaker 1: He I'm yeah, I'm so. The official change happened on May sixth, two thousand and two, dead in the middle of Hulk Hogan's.
Speaker 2: I Rememberment Judgment Day two thousand and two was the first WWE pay per view.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I remember. I can remember the first time I heard them say WWE, and I was mortified. Oh god, it was horrible. I remember being just totally.
Speaker 2: Like, what the fuck, because like, wa, you dying and everything, and that being the reason that had a lot to do with jumping the shark right there. When they changed the names, people were like, I'm just not going no, I'm not going to watch this and and be triggered every time they say w W instead of WWF. But we're getting to that point, by the way, don't forget. We're getting to that point where it's going to be longer, longer than it was WWF.
Speaker 1: So just remember that. Just remember that it's that it is going to be more w W than WWF. Okay, and I wonder why we're relapsed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the Realist Solar System members in the room, Christian Rights Co Chairs. Well, we knew this day would come. Kind of ironic, especially considering Vince recently stated his plans to create a new entertainment platform and conglomerate which will focus exclusively.
Speaker 1: Again, Wait a minute, Wait a minute, it is longer. Oh we're there, yeah, because the the the I'm trying to look here. Oh no, no, no, no, well yeah we are. Actually In March of nineteen seventy nine it became WWF, went from Worldwide Wrestling Federation w WF, and then twenty three years later, twenty three let's see here, twenty three and two months later it became w W And now may it's listen, we're there now, we're at the even point. It's now done. Now you can't fucking say shit, okay, it's always been ww Now you can't argue that. All right, it's overs up. Time's over. Times up, motherfuckers. Well, John Steen's retirement year is when we realize it's always been w W.
Speaker 2: If he rides it off, right, he rides it off at the sunset, that permanent switchover, it's over. Well, we knew this day would come, Christian rights kind of erotic, especially considering Vince recently stated his plans to create a new entertainment platform and conglomerate which will focus exclusively on both pre and future determined points of bottle of contact in the simulated presentation of artificial intelligence and technological engineering on a hybrid level.
Speaker 1: Yes, what we are. We're currently in the process of building the Vince McMahon owns Hulkamania entertainment companies. That's what we have. The mcmanonmania Animania has been running wild these years. Mcmanamony has been running while mcmannamania is the only mania that exists still and Vince rules, thank you for.
Speaker 2: This, thank you for your time, thank you for your attention in this matter. But again we all knew this day would come Christian rights. So since Hulcymanea is officially and forever dead, this the vinst rules, Vince, and this is the decade of lapsed. I propose you have a top ten greatest matches of the career of Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 1: That's all I have.
Speaker 2: Like that O W in my school newspaper article about Hogan's turning heel at Batch of the Beach. I never liked Hogan he was the shits. No, but really, what do you think about a ten Greatest Matches tribute? Looking forward to whatever you guys do, I'm sure it'll make the Hulster proud, boss.
Speaker 1: What do you think to find ten greatest? We have to find the prapifications for ten greatest, like ten greatest in terms of in ring match quality or ten greatest in terms of this is my favorite, yes, anything else. It's up to you. What would you pick? I would have to say greatest in terms of favorite, like, because that to me is what is what matters. What would they be? Because if it's if it's greatest, god, top ten I mean, in no particular order, just to make it easier, yeah, I mean, oh god, um, I mean first of all, Rumble ninety one always the top, that's number one, still my favorite. Can watch it and just be thrilled. Consider that a Hogan match? I do, I do, I will because he won it. If he didn't win with that's like Flared Knights Rumble match, Yeah right it is. I mean, look, Hogan Slaughter. I love Hogan Slaughter. I could watch that all the time. I could watch it all the time. The Hogan Savage for sure, But Hogan Flair. I mean, listen, Hogan Flair, Hogan Flair, Halloween, Havoc, no question, Hogan Savage, Hogan Savage. Five. Yes, I don't even know where I'm at. Five. Yeah, that's five. Okay. My number one is Hogan Warrior. Yeah, what's your number one? Hogan Warrior. Sure, that's where really did it all? Yeah, really showed the full breath of what he meant and what he could do. Actually, I should say my favorite is actually probably the one I saw live. That's actually my favorite one, follow by romandinety one ninety one. Stuff is just gold to me, always will be, always will be. Like watching the build up to WrestleMania seven, a couple a couple of shows of that just so amazing. Oh and the fucking Serenus main event master too. Yeah I've never actually seen it, so it doesn't do anything for me, but yeah, the stuff that I watched early as a kid, that stuff's my favorite. And definitely some Bash some some w CW stuff. I mean, like I said, Hogan Flair in the Cage is easily up there. Probably Hogan Piper at Starcade. Sure, you know, because it meant something to me. Like watching that. When I'm watching it live, I gotta go Hogan Andre. Yeah, Hogan Andre's on there. I mean, you can't not put Hogan Andre on there. It's gotta be. It's my number two. But I'm going to Shay Stadium. Oh really, no, brother, Yeah, yeah, it's a match in Japan. I mean that's the thing that that's a great match. Like, but that's way, it's hard, like I don't have the nostalgic feel for it, Like I don't like to sit there and well to the television right, like in terms of work rate. Yeah, that in the moon of match is some of the best shit ever.
Speaker 2: The Goldberg match, the you know what it loses, it tends to be some of the best stuff. Even the match on Nitro. Yeah, I had a joke, man, not a joke. Good fucking stuff got the people out of their fucking minds.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And look the Rock match. It's fucking amazing. Yeah, it's great and achievement on a level I never would have expected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's it's it's yeah. I'd have to really, I mean, honestly, those are the ones on top of my head. I'd have to really think about it a little more, but like.
Speaker 2: Hit all, you had all the high points. There were some sneaky ones in there. I think that we could include, but that's pretty much it. The mooda match is good in Japan, the uh Yeah, as far as ninety two, not much, although I remember it so fondly.
Speaker 1: Well see again for me. But also you know what, I love the Sid match. Yeah, you know, like it didn't end right, but I love the Sid match. That feud is iconic for me.
Speaker 2: And we go back to those savage matches from eighty five. We were just watching, like that's some of the best hoga and stuff you're gonna find. Yes, Ogan in Valentine, Hogan in Morocco, and when he first gets the strap, it's good stuff. He's out there really going for it, you know, trying to make it, try to deserve the position of top guy in the business, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh and also the ninety ninety survivisary stuff, both of them, both his match with the whole communis versus the natural disasters, but also the final MATCHSS survival equally ninety rumble yep, that was my That's someone I rented a hundred times, not ninety one. Yeah, what can you say? Can you say? Yeah? And he did write this.
Speaker 2: Christian did write this piece in his high school newspaper that he shared with us, which I think is so fucking hilarious. Hulk Cogan has an agenda. The situation involving Hulk Cogan in the New World Order, cleverly named the nWo, is taking on a whole new perspective in the world of professional wrestling. For those of you who are not aware of the changes in ww World Championship Wrestling or with Hulkogan, let me give a little insight. As of August, the man Hulk Cogan is now the nWo slash WCW World Heavyweight Champion. This came after he claimed that himself and his two new friends, Scott holland Kevin Nash would take over WCW and would call it the nWo. That's interesting, so he read that as they're going to rename WCW, THENWO, that's interesting. The way he won the title was very surprising. Indeed, after beating the champion, the Giant, and stirred to South Dakota. After he finished the Giant, he took the belt and hit him in the head to score the pinfall. He then took black spray paint and wrote the three letters nWo on the gold title. However, this article is not on how he won the title, yet, it is on what he's planning on doing with the championship and how it will affect the progress of the nWo and namely his two friends holland Nash. In any professional sport, there is at the end of a season a team or a person who was called champion. Everyone in every team struggles to one day call themselves champion. Yet in the world of hul Cogan, only he can be called such a name. As for holland Nash, if they don't portray Hulkgan now, they'll never be able to be the champion of WCW. Look him wanting nan w out of collapse on itself. That's pretty wid The reason for such an outrageous statement is to show to the world that Hogan is not only a shallow person, but to let his partners know that Hogan is planning on holding onto that title for as long as it takes, even if it means never giving them a title. Shot Man Hallan nashould have read this high school newspaper man, they would be coming around the corner, strange.
Speaker 1: Fucking booked, rebooked, the whole, fucking uh, the whole.
Speaker 2: Completely strange as it may seem, this happens all the time in wrestling. Someone's friend becomes champion and the relationship falls straight downhill. This card back in nineteen ninety when Sting was a member of the Four Horsemen, the Four Horsemen were a lot like the nWo are today. They always beat up who they wanted to, and they own the World heavyweight title. Sting is very much like Holland Nash. He wanted to know what the ten pounds of gold felt like. However, Sting was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He broke the eleventh Commandment and asked then champion Rickclair to give him a title match. He left the ring with a broken leg. The result was quite clear. Never be friends with the champion, because sooner or later you'll be bitter enemies.
Speaker 1: Like that, there we go.
Speaker 2: Maybe holland Nash are at the wrong place the wrong time. Also, it would be nothing for Hogan to grant someone else's shot, but these are supposed to be the men to help him keep the title. The nWo is no doubt a force to be reckoned with and Hogan does have some pretty good wrestlers by his side, but for how long? The only things that will hurt his title reign or, arrogance, a big mouth, and a cold heart. He's displaying those factors at this point in time. Yet when the smoke clears and Hogan walks out of that arena, he'll look back and once again be alone. Holy shit, Wow, that's fucking that works in a lot of ways. Kudos Christian. That's good stuff. Man pulling up an old scan that he had of his high school newspaper.
Speaker 1: That's wild. That's fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the top ten ideas well. Martin Zamora, Thanks very much for bumping up your pledge to get that moat tear taste. We deeply appreciated. Isaiah. Isaiah, thank you so very much. Christian also asks you think Savage decked Hogan in the eye as soon as he saw him in heaven. Another thing Christian.
Speaker 1: Wrote some I've seen some funny AI drawings of like Hogan being welcomed by by people in Heaven. I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, no no no, listen, they're going after him, all right, nobody's up there like thrilled to see him. You know, I mean assuming he goes up to heaven anyway. Listen, I mean assuming assuming any pro wrestler is in heaven. We talked about the Big Man for a lot of years to not earn the admission. Yeah, but he also screwed a lot of people down here on Well, none of the wrestlers are going to be up there. If that's disqualifying, Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't think I can't imagine a single wrestler ever getting up to Heaven.
Speaker 2: Christian also wrote on one of the posts about Hogan's passing, I quote from Vince McMahon, I will be the last one standing. Oh is that not coming to us? That's the way it's going to be, my dev thank you very much for your increase in pledge. We deeply appreciate that. Cliff writes to us brothers back last two thousand and two, Hogan's last world title in Triple H versus the real Triple H. He's calling for Josh. We want to thank you very much for bumping up to the mote tier. Andrew Wright suggestions one deep dive his first title reign, including the arena title defenses that are out there. Yeah, a lot of those have been done in the Coliseum collection actually, but it's a hell of an idea. You know, how much can we can we observe of Hogan's original title run that wasn't on a quote day preview yep, the whole Comedia Colisseum videos in order I will say that we're not going to do those. Those are the Coliseum collection. Yeah, I agree, So those and I'm sure to a large will do the matches that are on those tapes anyway. I mean, I mean, well some of them, some yes, some know, there's definitely certain a lot of shit in there on those tapes that aren't on pay per views or big shows. I don't think I ever saw a sertain has made event on a whole comedia.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not always get a fucking but the point is, the complete Hull Cochin journey does not have to be a pay per view or TV show. It could be some random show on Philly that was on PRISM, you know. And I also, you know, I also think I don't I don't personally want to do every Hulk Hogan show. I want there to be some down the line, you know. But I think the idea of filling in the gaps of the major stuff is crucial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know what what counts as major, And he also calls for the missing pay per views in SNM's Yeah, I think we're all we all kind of got there together somehow, some way. We're making suggestions in isolation, but when you put them together in vacuums, but when you put them together, it's like, Yeah, this is kind of the cross current of what everybody's saying. Zach just says, just started in seventy five and go to twenty twenty five, one episode each year. Easier said than done, but that's pretty much what we're gonna do. Absolutely, so many people got the news while they were listening to the Bash at the Beach ninety four episode. I just can't believe that, but that's how we ended up. And yes, Zach, I did.
Speaker 1: Make a mistake saying that Hulk Hogan's attorney was Howard Hughes. I was sitting there, Howard Hughes maybe a little. I was like, I don't know about that, but okay, his name it's Henry Holmes. I thought it was Henry Holmes Holmes rather double a Stu Wright.
Speaker 2: Hello, a quick note. How about a piece on how the World News reported Hogan's death. This is the World News in the UK, for example in the UK, and it was on the main BBC six o'clock news, which is probably the highest profile. It wasn't as important as the cricket score, but was more pressing than the weather. They highlighted Rocky and the WWE, but also mentioned the Gawker stuff and summed it all up with Hogan's endorsement of Donald Trump. I'd be keen on seeing how India, Japan, America, in fact any country handled the news. I'm obviously not going to seek it out myself, but you asked for suggestions.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank yous to. This is a good idea.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure how we thread that in, but I think it is interesting to note. I know that Fumisaido did a show for Wrestling Observer on what Hogan meant to Japan, which I'm looking forward to checking out. Fumi, you might recall from the Lapsed Funk series, has really nice beat on not only how wrestlers are received in his native Japan, but having lived in the States for years and being fluent in English, he also understands how to explain that to an American wrestling audience, you know, and translate what the cultural impact is. So I look forward to getting his sense of how Hogan's career in passing was received in Japan but other countries. It's tough to say the UK is great because, as so many of our listeners are in the UK have pointed out to us, the steroid trial didn't hurt him over there. There's a reason that he starts leaning in with the Wrestling boot Band and talking about Wembley in the UK A whole hell of a lot after that ww Front ends right, Tony writes, greeting's co chairs, I'm sure you're getting pounded with suggestions regarding what to do with the potential Hulk tribute, but I didn't want to throw out a couple of suggestions. One guess what he says selfishly, I attended this show. Wow he attended? Oh I need I need information on that one when we come to it in about have to contribute to his story or two regarding the feelings in the arena that night and after Hulk beat Triple eights, that was a fascinating show. Don't waste any time, Tony, get it to us now, Get it to us now, or get started on it now. Two Saturday's Made Event July nineteen ninety. This was the first show I ever attended and it had Hulk's return interview since being.
Speaker 1: Injured by earthquake. What was it you meet the date again? July nineteen ninety before SummerSlam. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: This was the first show I ever attended and had Hulk's return interviews since being injured by earthquake.
Speaker 1: That was a huge show for me. I mean you want to talk about you know, Cornerstone. It was the first WWS pay per.
Speaker 2: View I ever watched Summer Slam ninety plus it has that tribute package before the interview, which now seems really poignant. I still have so many memories from this show. There are many others, including the big event SummerSlam eighty eight ninety eight, No pardon me, SummerSlam eighty eight, Hex Survivors Series eighty seven. Yeah, but I would love to hear the coverage you gentlemen would provide for two shows I hold near and dear. Thanks for hearing me out, thank you for the memories, thank you for the inspiration, and thank you proclamania. Thank you rollers there you go, SNMA July ninety. Probably we'll say a lot about Hogan. It's not a match, but that segment ought to be in there somewhere. Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Steve says, I was just sitting in my tent at a music festival, so I've been cut off from the world a bit. Today.
Speaker 2: My son sent me a text message a short while ago. Hulk Hogan has died. Fuck me dictionary definition of end of an era, without doubt, the greatest pro wrestler of all time. I'm going to keep this brief. May send more thoughts when I'm home next week, but I saw your tweet about oh bit coverage and any suggestions we may have. My suggestion, deep dive the entire Mega Powers arc. It's the protheosis of the art in my opinion. Dig up every match, every promo, every magazine article, and go deepen that ass on the Megapowers month's worth of shows there to do it justice, but it deserves it. It's the best angle ever and personally was my favorite formative rather wrestling experience.
Speaker 1: It's what got me on the hook. Brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that has good stuff, man, Yeah, yeah, shout outs to Josh, who gave a lot of the outlines of that list that I read out there just a while ago. On the show of Unaddressed Hogan Episodes, Anthony writes, I've been a loyalty LF fan since the beginning. You may recognize me from Twitter. I'm beginning begging you rather to please cover the Colisseum video release Hulcymania three in your t to Hogan, he's begging us, boss. Wow, I don't know begging. It's the entire Hogan and Entre feud from beginning to eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's the best Colosseum release in my opinion, and the best WWF home video release other than because Stone Cold said so. Looking forward to everything you do. Thank you for your consideration, Anthony, I love it. I think we're gonna have to let you down there. But we'll see, we'll see, I mean.
Speaker 1: But I'll say, you know, it might be it might be something to like. At least go through and take a look at some of the stuff that isn't you know, maybe not seen as much, you know, there's sure. That's what I always love about the the Colisseum videos is that they have stuff that was airing at the time that a lot of times they haven't put up on the network for sure. Whatever you know, there's a lot that's true.
Speaker 2: DJ Smithy, thanks very much for bumping up your pledge to the MOAT tier level. We deeply appreciate that side of support. Christian did the same thing before mentioned Chris Lucky want to thank you very much for making it our lucky day. Josh, thank you very much. Jimmy, thank you very much. These fuckers said, you know what mote is for me?
Speaker 1: Matt.
Speaker 2: Matt just wrote a single subject brother, It's all, he wrote in response to our call for suggestions webinar. Thank you very much for your increase in pledge. Scott Michael said, also, know what happened.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago today?
Speaker 2: The recording of Hogan saying racist shit was leaked. He died on the tenth anniversary of that. He also says, the most fucked up thing about this is as soon as I heard the news, my immediate thought was wondering who was going to make the call first. That's that's what we do, That's what people think now. Also, I bet Hogan gets cremated because there's going to be a clause in his will prohibiting anyone.
Speaker 1: From burying him. Of course, listen, come on, Amber, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Nobody can bury Hulk that mote tier taste. Travis Wilcox, thank you for that generous increase in pledge. Jim Grant, Welcome in to the TLF Patreon solar system. Chris g same to you. We really appreciate it. Mick Arsenal, Welcome in, my friend, and thank you for the pledge. Nathan writes my whole life, I imagine I would feel bad and sad for his passing. I wanted him to be good and worthy. I tried so hard to keep him in that column. Even after the sex tape, with the racism, I still wanted to believe he was remorseful and trying to be better. Then last year he just doubled down on the heat. I more than the idea of Hulk Cogan, who died twenty years ago. Terry Bulay is either lucky there is no hell or he's there now. Did I still shed tears? Yes, it's a lot we'll put Yeah. I mean again, Matt, that's kind of it, like it's it's a hard it's a very hard thing.
Speaker 1: It's not It's not black and white like like he was in nWo Right, Daniel Beasley, thank you very much for bouncing up to the motier. We appreciate it. Chris Calamito, Welcome in, my friend, and thanks for the pledge. Same to you, Charles Spina. We really appreciate your support on Patreon. Jerome Cussen, same goes for you, my friend. Thank you very much. Dirty Non sent us a message co Chairs. Hulk Cogin passed away today. A constant in my life as a wrestling fan was Hul Cocin. My earliest memories of wrestling were Hulk on Saturday Night's Made Event. I was on his side when the Mega Powers erupted, and I was with him during the Ultimate Challenge. Me and my wife's entrance music at my wedding was Voodoo Child. Recent years have made being a fan of Hulk problematic, and I thank the co Chairs for helping us the Solar System process what it means to be a wrestling fan and a fan of Hulk Hogan. This fucking cast is the only true chronicle of the life of Terry Boleup. We know this man inside and out without ever meeting him. It definitely hurts inside, but I know the co chairs will be there. Thank you for hul comania. David writes, holy shit listening to the one two three as Hogan wins the title from Flair when I find out from a text message that he has died, m oregan, damn man. The upcoming journey the co chairs are about to take us on is going to be one for the ages. Rip Hulk. May you no longer worry about being rolled up from behind? Yeah? He still listen. That's that's far from over, far from over, absolutely absolutely far from over. Well, well you've been well, you've been giving on. Jesus. Dude keeps looking at me. Brother, what what dude? Is he uprotherer is the Christ Child tring? Roam me up, dude. I'm dude, I'm on to dig that voodoo child.
Speaker 2: Andrew nails it. He just writes, OMG Bash of the Beach ninety four episode anticipated this.
Speaker 1: I have no words.
Speaker 2: You two spoke this into reality. Mike writes, Hogan being at paid mouthpiece for Orlando's tourism reminds me of Antonio and OKI's later years as a diplomat, where he was essentially paid to read a script for whatever country he was visiting. Yes, this is my point. Hulk is for sale. It's not new, Yes, exactly exactly. Pulk performs for the audience in front of him.
Speaker 1: He's been for sales and see got in the professional wrestling.
Speaker 2: That's correct, But he's ironically where he hardly ever sold, right, Alan, thank you very much for your pledge and welcome into the TLF solar system at the Eptier. No less, Kirk wants us to know quote wrestling school again again, never has been, never will be. So so much for those remarks during the Bash of the Beach ninety four broadcast, Wrestling's cool again.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm sorry you know that is, without a doubt, one of the worst fucking things I've ever heard. The world is watching now? What the world is watching?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Hey, Wrestling's cool again? No new news.
Speaker 2: Now we're pushing on the mail bag side a little bit just before the news came out about Hull Cogen and some of the comments we got on a Batch of the Beach episode before that was the overwhelming sentiment. Sean writes, Shaq would already qualify for Under the Cinemat due to his tag match against Cody at aw because we talked about how Shak's participation in Bashed at the Beach qualifies like Blue Chips and other movies like that.
Speaker 1: Well also, I mean, I was gonna say also his TNA stuff too, So I don't even know he had a match he wrestled Code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that a tag match cod during the can Denis towards the tail end. They may have had fans back. Yeah, that was a big deal. They were supposed to involve a Brandy but she got hurt, so they had a h oh my god, what is it?
Speaker 1: Red? What's her first name? I forgot her name?
Speaker 2: Team with a Red bashing team with Cody, Shaq would already qualify for UTC. Yep, I'm sure there must be a story behind the match that never happened. In him and Big Show, which was teased a few times in w Yeah, they wanted to put together Shaquilla and Neil versus Big Show for WrestleMania one year, but it didn't happen. And then Shaq was in that Battle Royal, so he definitely counts there.
Speaker 1: He was in there. He in Dallas, He's done plenty twenty, totally qualified. So also Regal talked about facing a nook. Yeah, we talked about why Steve Regal and Andok had a confrontation on the Bash of the Beach broadcast. Yes, and Sean notes that Regal talked about facing a nook in his short lived podcast, apparently in OKI's retirement. Tourtali was about facing wrestlers of all different styles and he wanted a Wigan snake Pit trained heavyweight, of which Regal could meet the criteria. So there you go. Wow, I'll throw back to Billy Robinson that I'm that.
Speaker 2: I have no doubt Corey wants to take issue. Come on, boys, Jesse said it over and over, and I vehemently agree. Jim Brenzel had the greatest drop kick in the world, full stop, never matched. No, that's not an open and shutcase to you. No, I don't like uh Brunzell's a fucking piece of shit. Perfect, That's perfect, no question.
Speaker 1: Wait, the way he held the hand under the chin before he launched, yep, the way, the way like he had just a perfect standing drop kick, and he would he would get incredible height and he would connect so brilliantly. No, I just I also, I just don't like Jim Brenze, like I can't. I don't the face is tough. I don't face is tough. I don't like looking at him, and I don't. I don't just don't enjoy his matches that much, So go fuck himself.
Speaker 2: This, of course, from our Best of WWF Volume eight coverage in the Colisseum Collection. Corey also writes, because we're talking about when Brett and jim had first formed a tag team, Brett and Jim had time together, he informs us in Calgary and the WWF Nightheart was with Jimmy, and that was when Bundy was still with Jimmy. They even teased a Bundy Knightheart tag team. This is right when Brett was transitioning from Cowboy Brett Hard. I remember WWF he started as cowboy bred Hart.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is suppressed, and.
Speaker 2: The commentators were noticing his heel tactics in the ring, even though he hadn't really officially gone bad yet. The Heart Foundation formed very quickly after that. Corey's always the best at remembering those when we were two years old, stuff that they just lose to time unless you are watching week to week. Will Randolph want to thank you very much for bumping up your pledge same to you, Ah Richard. That's a deeply appreciated doubling of that coinage to your co chairs Jeremy, thank you very much, Cody writes to mine in Tampa. No, you're in contempt. Nice one of the one of the better moments.
Speaker 1: That was so fucking great.
Speaker 2: John writes, co chairman, longtime listener and Patreon member here. Haven't written in a while, but in light of the conversation about Thunder and Paradise ter in the Bash of the Beach ninety four episode, I felt it necessary to change. I'll cut right to the chase. Within the last two years, I've managed to watch every episode of Thunder and Paradise on YouTube. I'm sorry I have a particular nostalgia connection at that time period when wrestling overlap with another interest of mine, Disney World. They learned not long ago the show is not only filmed on sound stages at the park, but also in the parks. There were entire episodes filmed on the Indiana Jones Stunt show stage, and in the episode they do the stunts that they do in the actual Disney show and the Morocco Pavilion at Epcot. The living sees Aquarium and Epcot, and there's literally an episode where they just go to the Magic Kingdom. Not only that, but there are so many wrestlers in it, from Beefcake Brutus to Jim Knightheart Tuggers, Terry Funk, Jimmy Hart, Gian Gonzales, not to mention, Sting had a season long story arc as the primary heel. I know you guys are tough on it, and rightfully so, because it's pretty terrible, but it's very much in that so bad it's good category and takes me back to pretty good place mentally.
Speaker 1: Boss do with Thunder and Paradise Journey. This is the playlist on YouTube, he gives us with love the episodes. Wow, it's there. Well, take a look at it. I don't know if I'm I don't know if I can care, but that's a lot I have. Listen, I have plans. Although we'll see that's a tantalizing remark.
Speaker 2: They did it few two partters. He writes that I think we're released as DVD movies. I recommended episodes. Yeah that I that I that I know I would actually be down with doing movies. I don't think like yeah, like there because like the I mean we did the original one, which was done as a movie. How many episodes are there there?
Speaker 1: Well, no, they really actually it's not I mean it's it's it's not awful, right, you know, it's it's twenty twenty two episodes, which we could probably do, you know, like the problem I'll tell you what the problem with the problem with TV shows And this is what I what I discovered during Twin Peaks is that there's not a lot written about the creation of individual episodes. It's about the show as a whole. And so while it's you know, like it was, it was it was actually it was hard to kind of figure out what to say for what episodes for the Twin Peaks, for the David Lynch tribute, because we're squeezing. I was trying to get, you know, eight episodes of television into what four episodes of the show, and so it's it's just it's just hard because they it's just it's not as you know, you've got a longer span of time where a lot of stuff's happening at the same time versus a movie. It's like, you know, from this period to this period, everyone's focusing on this movie or at least I can find information about focusing on this movie, but doing a whole show is is that That's been That's been one of the one of the reasons why I've been a little bit apprehensive for doing full on seasons and why the Twin Peaks one. Doing seven episodes was better, was easier, you know, because there was ways to space it out. But you know, maybe doing one of the one of the TV movies on it'll be about it in addition to you know what I'm thinking about out But that's interesting. I didn't think about that. Yeah, I'm not opposed to it. I'm not opposed to it.
Speaker 2: He recommends episode six and seven, a two parter that mostly takes place in Epcot's Morocco and the Indian and Jones stunt show. It's technically really bad TV. I won't beat around the Bush brother, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it on a purely nostalgic level. It also features Tuggers. Lastly, if you want to see Hogan, oh my god, that's big. If you want to see Hogan thirsty as fuck, I'm ruining this match with the Jaqura Show. In nineteen ninety seven, as well as a very random rat music video with the Quebecer's watched the first ten minutes of this Thank you for the link. You can find it as ww fancam footage. That was the night that a Hogan got rolled up by Chakra Shou in the middle of the Hollywood Hogan run.
Speaker 1: It might be interesting to do you know, because we did do the I know, we did the first, the first the pilot of Thunder and Paradise for the main show, that it might be interesting. I was thinking the series finale is also a two part a two part episode, so that might be maybe something to consider it too fascinating. I'm sufficiently intrigued. I'm intrigued. I'm definitely intrigued by you do you think, especially because it's not a full on especially because it is like a you know, I forget that there weren't multiple seasons. It was just one season with you know, all right, well I will I'll take him in consideration. Here's her turning. I can hear him. Here's turning. Yeah, I know the man gears are turning. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sorry it was Greg not John that brought us that missus huge doubles Cross there talked about Hasbro's We talked about Hasbro signing with WCW maybe in ninety one or ninety four or whatever when they left WWF. Yeah, and someone made a good point like, Hasbro isn't about the fucking steroid shit. You know they must have been like, fuck this, Yeah, we don't want to make a tour steroid monster, right, Ryan Rights, I would.
Speaker 1: Have left it.
Speaker 2: Ninety five ninety eight w CW was my favorite motion. I think I get the idea Hasbro wanted to get away from wrestling because of the steroids stuff. Yes, me too, Ryan, But what about Evader Hasbro at ninety five?
Speaker 1: What about but what about the what about? What about the cash? All right? Listen, yes they may be avoid Listen, you're you're you're treating toy companies as if morals outweigh the dolls.
Speaker 2: W W was hoovering up everything else. W WW had they brought the slim GYM sponsorship over, like why not just call Hasbro?
Speaker 1: Man? I know, because they decided to do the fucking LJM ripoffs and the Star which just were not good.
Speaker 2: And can you imagine thinking yourself as a Hasbro kid, right, and think of you being aware that Hogan goes to WCW and to your point, thinking Hogan was more w CW wrestler.
Speaker 1: They came out with I Hasbros. I dreamed. Listen, when I was a kid, I dreamed that I would eventually have a Hasbro with Hogan with the bright you know, almost me on yellow hulks your shirt. Like I dreamed that that was going to happen, Like, oh my god, Like this is going to be crazy. We're going to get a whole new I said, there's no reason not to. Like I really equated Hasbro with Hogan, And I said, and especially when I realized that they weren't coming out with anymore and they were like nowhere to be found in the toy stores, it's like, well, maybe WW will do the right thing. They didn't, but I hoped, yes, I mean cause it's kind of funny they did. You know, those the second wave of figures were kind of like Hasbro's but they were still big and they were clunky and stupid, you know, because they did have They didn't come out with a second wave of those WCW figures where they were harder plastic. They weren't the rubber and they did do like moves and stuff like they oddly did the Hasbros. But just they weren't good hasbros. You know, yeah, they kind of took a stab at it. But I invite you to consider a stunning Steve Austin Hasbro. I would have gotten, oh listen, I would have had it, no question in my pocket. Done, purchased, Thank you, Okay, thank you, happy purchased, well put. I love it so much, Matthew, thank you very much. Yeah, because I'm looking I'm looking at them like, yeah, like the ninety six, I'm looking at a Hogan one that was the hard plastic with like movable things, was still very much like the idiotic LJN ripoffs, but there was I don't know, like try me press button, like there was a button out pressed. Now I don't know what the fuck is going on here, but you know, again, nice things we can't done purchased, not a problem. Love it, Matthew Lenetis. Thank you very much for that pledge. We appreciate it. Welcome in.
Speaker 2: Craig writes, hull Kogi's is less than an hour from me, and I just found out it existed, and I'm pretty sure to create followed up with a next post that we retweeted of the actress sign yeah his brother the door in the window too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Christopher writes, you know that idea of w W Hasbros's genius. Can't believe ws W never did that or at least copy the styling. Bree wrts. This is a great point, you know when we go through the uh the Randy Savage on Radio WWF Knock and Hull Cogan with Jim Ross. Yes, we did that on the March to the Mains nine. We forgot that we did it again. That's why Master of the Phone came off as so fucking epic, because I think that's.
Speaker 1: Where it came from. That's fucking funny. In case you don't know what it's like to have cast it. As long as we've cast that's yeah right.
Speaker 2: Jeff writes, I don't know about you guys, but I always protect my brand by having sex with my friend's wife and spewing racial epithets. Ryan Wright's hell co chairs Love and Bash ninety four shows between discussions and parts one and two plus reflecting a bit and what would happened two years later at the same event. Sadly it appears the Orlando Arena is gone, but Ocean Center is still there from the ninety six event. Any future pilgrimage plans at the Ocean Center? Hey, or have you guys been either location in the past?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I have not been to the Ocean Center or the Orlando Arena, No never. I did go to the Fort hesserli Armory in Tampa one time, though, just to look look at the window. Yeah, I've always just look in the wind closly going on. And you don't hear me tell the story where I got so close to the glass so I could see inside, and then I realized there was shit smeared on the glass right in front of my face.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's all horrible.
Speaker 2: I've always thought of WCW getting the Hasbro deal too, starting in ninety five. It would have been so much better than the ostms. That's original San Francisco toymakers, right. I think maybe Hasbro wanted out of wrestling altogether after the steroids scandals. But today, with all the Hasbro style figures being made by Mattell and boutique companies, ww Hasbro's do now exist to some extent, and I really hope many more come in the next few years. Does Boss Man still collect the Mattel retros? Has he started up with any of the ones from the Batique brands? Boss the what, Yes, Yes, I I I have I do. I I got the Kurt Fuller one at UH at Comic Con last year in New York. I do want a bunch of them. They are so cool. I just you know, there's a part of me that's like a part of me that's like the apartment. It's like, yeah, fucking really. But then there's like, I don't know, know, it's We're at that point, man, We've gotten all the nostalgic charge we can get out of this stuff, you know, cod COVID just.
Speaker 1: Like like they did a fucking a whole bunch of They did a whole bunch of uh like one of the like they have some really cool Savage ones, And I'm like, oh, man, Like it's like, because you know the one thing that I I I am always bummed about with with again this is this is this is this is a unique thing being a ninety one WWE fan like coming into matt Era because everyone for the most part loves Randy Savage from the late eighties with the robe, the headband, the regular wrestling trunks, right, I don't like that. I like the fully clothed Savage from nineteen ninety two. That's, you know, the Savage who was wearing clothes because he was embarrassed about his lack of steroid body. That to me is quintessential Randy Savage. And the only Randy Savage they made at hasbro of Like that is awful. Right, it's one of the pushdown ones. You know, the hat on his head, You get the hat on his head to get the make him looking right, the fucking with you, I know. But now they've got people, they've done some of those that look like that, like they've got hold together. They got Savage. I shut up, I mean you do, that's what you want? I know, I do.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: They get Savage in his WrestleMania eight attire, like it's it's so great and they got one like hey, they just just as amazing these retro figures. They do a great job with them. Somebody say it like it's so unfortunate that they do a great job with them, because I can't just dismiss it, get right, because I want it now. And it's like, come on, I can't forty yes, except there have so many. I've seen the studio. I know, I know it's a mess, and I love them and I want more. Let's fucking go. You want to talk about the sickness, No, that's it is. It's the sickness of having this. Look. I'm going to send you. I'm going to send you one here. Look this, this is like this is what they they make now in these things, and like they're just so great looking, you know, opening Savage in his WrestleMania to go okay, oh fuck, it looks incredible. Rights, it kind of does look like Steve Williams about the head, though, man, I don't care. It's it's the color of the and it's the fact that it's you know, uh sleeves, the sleeves are tasseled and yeah, yeah, it's all those things. And look at this other one, like these two here, like they just they look so great, they really are. And and so it just what position does that put you in? Exactly? Like what are you supposed to do with this? Holy shit? Here's here's another one like this is like, this is this is the problem. Hold on, I'm going to send you this one. Now, this is the problem. He says, this is, this is, this is the problem. These are the problems that that you know, these people put on adults like me who just you know, don't want to be an adult, right, you know this is that was fucking perfect, perfect delivery. This one, now, this is just fucking fantastic, Like this is the uh, this is the Mall's version of Zoro, of one that I remember reading a night Like that's what he is, that fucking People magazine, the Mall's version of Zora. I'll never forget that People magually not knowing who Randy Savage is and calling him the Mall's version of Zoro. Idiots, fucking morons, like he's got checkered floor for an outfit. Yeah, Like, I just why are you doing these things? Man? Why are you making them so great? Just it's a curse. It's a curse. And the thing is, you know, I'll tell you what, I definitely have an easier time buying them if they didn't cost forty bucks.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to say, like one of the best parts of the Unwrappiding every Christmas is when we split the bounty at the end and see your face be like, I'll take that one, like you know you want it.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I'll have it. I I'll have to have that. Fine, fine, all right, I'll take that one. Just fucking don't say anything about this. I just I just kind of really want it. I just want it. When I assess it, I want all Like listen, I want them all. I know is that art like like like they say, collect them all? Yeah, I want them all. All right, I want them all. Where do we go from here? But I can't. Right, they have they they have a series of bulldog ones too, like they've got they've got whoever, you know, I don't know all the companies that do them, but they got so many different companies that are making these these these you know, Mack Hasbros. And there was one. They're there there they have they have nineteen ninety four British bulldog, so with the the biker shorts and the unbraided hair. You know they've got they got a ninety five ninety six bulldog. I think they got one with yeah, short hair, and I think they got one with Diana. Okay, they've got one. They've got a a ninety seven bulldogs with the Heart Foundation vastly.
Speaker 2: Supposed to do with this man, right, like an emergency. It's not just that they had they made one more bulldog and I can get a different bulldog Hasbro we had do they make six of them? And they're all money?
Speaker 1: They made them all, they made them all all money. They just they just yeah, because they're right, just fuck.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Do they ever make any Hogan offshoots? That would be very complicated from licensing perspective, And I don't think Yeah. I don't think they ever did, because it's uh yeah, Marvel has something to say about that, right. Ryan also writes, also, do you think Fins thought at one point Hogan would be back in ninety four to the FED? I mean they did keep selling his merchant the magazine pretty late in the ninety three, plus he had Hasbro figure and then Standard Line that year, plus the mail away for Christmas ninety three. Anyway, thanks guys, and thank you for whole comania. Well, I wouldn't be surprised. It's a great bulldog. I wouldn't be surprised. I'm gonna show that the back here too. Look at the back the back of our foundations. That's perfect, absolutely perfect. I mean, what the we're looking at the guy who won the European title. You know, we're looking at the guy who, right, you know, who mattered, and I gotta spend forty bucks to get it? Okay, well there it goes right out the window.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I can't. I can't there there there there are certain things I can't, you know, explain to my wife.
Speaker 2: That's the real stressor of it all, exactly exactly what it is, like I you can't explain it to yourself. I mean you can, but it's still not good enough for a reason. Right, And so I was like, where did what is this thing? Where did you spend forty bucks at this?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: You don't?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hold it and look at it. But but you understand, like you know, my office, I just gotta have a match with I gotta you know, I gotta have a match with Sean Michaels. An emergency European you know, European forty is an emergency. It is Listen, it's a major problem, like a major problem. Like there, yeah, call the authorities.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, I think they would have run all that stuff for Hogan's merch just to clear out inventory. Anyway, that's he was with the company till like late August technically, so there's that too. We just didn't see it in the States. Yeah, I think Vince probably thought Hulk would come back. I mean, one of the things we covered during Bash of the Beach was Vince had matching rights and there was conversations. It wasn't like Vince was like, fuck, you go to sign whatever you want with ww I don't want to hear about it. They were back and forth until the end, and I just think that, you know, the stuff in ninety three does indicate that that Vince saw the future with them together. I just don't think he thought it would take as long as it did. Zach asks, can we get a Hulk HOGI shirt?
Speaker 1: Please? I don't know if we'll get in trouble for that one, but maybe it depends on how we Possibly it's possible to do sis right.
Speaker 2: That's how I experienced most of the Hogan era. I started watching wrestling wrestling at WrestleMania seven. My brother reunted the pay per view tapes from eighty five to ninety and I caught up as best I could. That's why I have a soft spot for the new generation, because I'm like the Hogan era. I experience it week to week as it happened. Yes, exactly, Vinces and Andrew writes, he says competitive organization instead of competitor. I thought that was a great catch, because to call it a competitor is to put him on a pedestal of actually being somebody that you know, competes for your business. But if you call it a competitive organization, that makes it sound like a group that wants to think of itself as being competitive in nature, but doesn't quite rise to the level of you calling it your competitor, which I think is just That's as Vince McMahon as it gets the difference between competitor and competitive organization.
Speaker 1: The terminology is key, key, all right.
Speaker 2: Daniel just thrilled by the latest edition of Wrestle Mammia with Mama Sorrow and the Moat Tier on the Ultimate Warrior Versus Knobs episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't listened to this one yet, but Daniel says Mama Sorrow and her moral commentary on this one was worse a five am start to the day.
Speaker 1: Do you know what he's talking about? I listen, listen. It wouldn't be a Wrestle Mammy without my mom's moral commentary. But I I don't actually recall what specifically.
Speaker 3: Oh man, this is.
Speaker 1: That's tremendously that's just what awaits you, right yep, oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Under the the mote tier. It's it's really fucking amazing. Anybody who got a taste of Mama Sorrow as part of our a w O Lacard live calls, you know what's going on. And that's the thing about Wrestle Mamia. Man, there ain't nothing more consistent in the Labstand solar system than that Monday Wrestle Mammia drop. Oh yes, you can set your watch to it, boss.
Speaker 1: You can. You can listen every Monday, every Monday.
Speaker 3: This is you know.
Speaker 1: This is why I have heard comments in the past about about like wait when was this recorded? Well, you know, we got a we got a record and batch, so we are we are months and months and months ahead of time. So I mean I can tell you right now that there are shows loaded until the beginning of next summer.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's how we roll. I think that pretty much says it all. Joshua fairly said it all by putting that VIP pledge on the table and joining us on that corner of things. Andrew writes The beauty of TLF as that they'll come across one small trait that tells you everything. For Eric Bischoff, it's that he's a man who loves to take meetings. For most of us, of us, I think, you know, taking a meeting is is a step towards a goal.
Speaker 1: It's not the goal. But I think with Eric it's probably the goal. It is the goal.
Speaker 2: He just he just closes that surface after a zoom meeting man, and he's like, oh, that's a honest day's.
Speaker 1: Worker there, he's he is so fucking thrilled, so fucking thrilled with a day.
Speaker 2: Andrew continues, the peak of his life was when he had a secretary. He could utter the phrase set up a meeting with blank. Two, he set up a meeting with Oh, he loves it, he loves it. Ah, I want to vomit.
Speaker 1: They're meeting takers. I mean they're fine. Yeah, yeah, Well, brother Mike wants us to know that.
Speaker 2: Regarding Jimmy Hart's value, we spend a bit of time in the Bash of the Beach Show wondering why Hulk Cochin tap Jimmy on the show. He says, Bruce Ritchard has talked about Jimmy helping with things that weren't his job title and being happy to do it. He did many of the wrestler's themes with Jim Johnston agent's matches despite that not being his responsibility.
Speaker 1: That I know that I'm fine with. It's it's it's actually having the ability to manage somebody's career and like the day to day life that's different than anyways. He maybe he goes into that. No, that's about the sum of it.
Speaker 2: He also said, you know, always being early before everybody else, and I guess maybe you know, managing someone's career when you're hul Coagan, all that really takes is making sure he gets where's supposed to be on time, and people he doesn't want to talk to or kept away from him. And I bet Jimmy Hard can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, but like in terms of yeah, I it just it just seems like again, you know, I know, I know that Jimmy Hart's got some credibility in other places, and I know that he's worked on he used to work on the theme songs and stuff like that. But yeah, but to be able to like basically be the go to person for somebody, you know, like you know, the filter to me that that that like I just needed. I want to know more about like where where he learned that trade, where he became respected or was well known enough to be like, yeah, you know what, Jimmy Hart's the guy we need. So in the same way, you know, like any of these guys, it's not even just Jimmy Hard, any of these guys Like where did that? Why? Why did that happen? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's interesting to see Jimmy Hard on the stage on the SmackDown tribute, you know, front and center, dagging his eyes, crying his eyes out. I mean, this guy made his whole thing about being Hulk Hogan's hype man basically, and I don't know, maybe one day he saw Hulk do something he shouldn't have been doing, and Hulk's warmed his secrecy in exchange for a lifetime job. That's the kind of thing that tends to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that either.
Speaker 2: Putting that potential on the table as well, Stephen writes, you know, I imagine a major grip gripe that Hogan sent Jimmy to Eric with was people standing behind him and lingering for a second.
Speaker 1: I've been here for a while, dude. One thing I've really you know, and they don't do it this way in New York. I'm just saying, I'm just saying, Listen, I'm just saying, was a very very you know that was heard a lot. That was heard a lot by Eric Bischoff. Right, I'm just saying by Hulk Hogan, they could have been his third book. Eric, Hulk's just saying again, brother, you know, I'm just saying, dude, you know right, you do, brother, you do you dude. I'm not trying to criticize. I'm not trying to tell you what better, brother, But I'm just saying, I'm just saying, dude, that in New York they did it better.
Speaker 5: Fan Wrestling podcast the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's an Lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno and Jpro.
Speaker 2: So, you know, if you want to say that, if you want to ignore my suggestion, just know you're little leaguing yourself.
Speaker 1: Visa VI. The real wrestling in New York. That's basically, I just don't want you to be a bitch, all right, I don't want you to be perceived as a bitch. Like you know, all those guys know they're going to say, you know, what's up with that, Eric, he's a bitch. Oh, they're gonna say that, Terry. Well, I'm trying nothing about that.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, trying to prevent them from saying it. Okay, all right, well I'll just say one to the head. Appears you failed like a pile driver. Thank you very much for that increase to the eptre Bez writes, the co chairs don't just do impressions. They almost seemed to become the person. I felt like I was really listening to Ready Savage talking to Jim Ross. Well, you felt like it was Ready Savage talking to somebody. I'm not sure that jed our impression was there, Yeah, but we appreciate that. That that's part of the magic. You're going to see with your own two eyes. August third, a comedy village in New York. It's damn right, You're damn fucking right. It's one thing to hear it, friends, but to see to see it. Pop visually. I think is something that anyone who's come to one of our live shows before Convouts for is being worth the price of admission alone. Yeah, Steve says being a fan. Became a fan in late two thousand and one. So I witnessed the Attitude era initially completely through tape and DVD. So I invite you to think about you know, we just want to talk about how we became acquainted with the eighties Hulkamania through tape. Yes, what about people who became familiar with the Attitude era through tape?
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean that's just that's that's painful. I mean that's painful. I mean I just don't imagine how you could do it. It's so much, so much more volume of stuff. Yeah, like how do you weekly tell it? It's insane weekly television. But also just the idea that if you're watching, you know, I had to watch four pay per views to get a whole w B year, but you have to get twelve to fourteen depending on UK shows. If that interest you, absolutely right. So that's I don't know, man, that's rough.
Speaker 2: That's a whole Yeah, that's a whole steeper hill than we ever had to climb to get up to date. That's for damn sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Steve also notes because of the progressing Illustrated article that we read from on our Bash at the Beach ninety four episode that had Hogan and Flair on the cover and got all the buzz started. Yes, Bill Watts of all people, was quoted in there about how big it would be if Hulkan Rick could come together and do a promotional vehicle together. And Steve makes a great point in saying that Bill Watts is quoted about the Hogan jump, as he spent a good twenty minutes of each mid eighties episode of Mid South calling Hogan a poor actor and a fraud.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was going off on Hogan back then, and it's funny, but that's the wrestling business. Hogan, who face recently joined the mote tier, and we want to thank him very much. Tony Gelder will see you. We'll see you in fucking New York. Oh yeah, Tim, we'll see you, he says, good afternoon, gentlemen. Submitted for your approval is my receipt for a purchase of a ticket to your show at Comedy Village. Because this is and always continues to be not a fucking game.
Speaker 1: Damn right.
Speaker 2: He had missed out on the previous installments of t F branded Comedic Prophetic Live Entertainment Experienced vehicles. But that ends August third. You have been in my years and up my ass through some of the most difficult years of my life. And now it's time to do the right thing, he writes, and take the ride down to pay proper tribute at the Church of the Lapsed. So shall it be written, So shall it be done?
Speaker 1: You bay, there we go, and now we're talking some sweet ten commandments there brother, thank you both for eleven years of lapse to see you there.
Speaker 2: We'll see you there. Very excited about this, very much called four. Oh yes, James writes. My nominees for most irrelevant ljnfigure? Yes, who did we pick? For those who might not have caught it yet?
Speaker 1: For LJN figure? Oh god, who it was? Somebody we had outback jack win? Maybe I think outback Jack one. Have you considered SD Jones? You know, the thing about st. Jones is that he was at WRESTLINGIA one. Oh my god, So do that qualify something?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: That makes him a little bit different, But it's valid. It's it's not a bad thing.
Speaker 2: It reports St Jones even had a variation figure, which I did not know. That's not okay, that's not okay to do two different Yeah, what do you who's buying it?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Yeah? One one is enough with SD okay? And what was our final verdict on the most what the fuck? Has Bro's? Probably skinny? We it was skinner it was it might have been Repo man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that one really hit me too. That they came on someone else else is a good one. Someone came with a new foundation Jim knightheart. Oh yeah, Actually, you know, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Guys? You know weird? I mean, because yeah, you know that's not that's not bad, because you know he was new foundation for like what two months? It was old foundation by the time it hit the shell exactly, it really was. It was who gives a fuck foundation by the time it hit the shelves. Let me tell you I made that. I made my herd foundation. You even drew on, did you? I drew I drew a black tank top on him with a sharpie so that he could look more like Brett, so I could have my heart foundation. You needed heart foundation? Yeah, yeah, that was the exciting part about having Jim Nightheart. I never found O one hard until you know, much later in life. What a travesty that there wasn't a Brett Hasbro till as late as there was. I know, what are they thinking? Why wasn't there a Brette Hasbro in ninety one? I don't know, that's really strange to me. It's ridiculous, honestly, Like he that seems like a like a like just an easy and easy, an easy one. You know, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I know if I think hard enough about the calendar as far as when they were together, but maybe not. Why would there be Rockers demolition with Crush? Why would there be a Legion of Doom? Why would there be all these Hasbro tag teams and not a Heart Foundation one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they didn't start doing it. I guess it's interesting too, you know when when the when the Hasbro's first came out in nineteen ninety, you know, it's funny that they had demolition they did that they beat basically at SummerSlam, I know, so they didn't have the they didn't have the Crush one yet TI ninety one that's true. In nineteen ninety, it was it was just acts and smashing the single like. They didn't have a tag team set. It was just the single figures.
Speaker 2: But still, oh really, let's make a rhythm and blues tag team. Even though the hammered Valentine figure never hit the shelves before, we make a hard foundation.
Speaker 1: It's very it's strange, it's so.
Speaker 2: Strange, unacceptable, Chuck writes, listening to each of the a la carte in order. I think it was towards the end of Tony Mercedes I realized that this match, being the greatest live call of all time was inevitable, and anticipation only grew from there. Somehow it still exceeded all my expectations all time classic. Yeah, it was once that one was over, I'm like, all right, this was a good idea, especially when Tony berries her face and Sasha's crotch and your mom has.
Speaker 1: To react to that. Oh yes, listen, there there are some beautiful, beautiful, beautiful things.
Speaker 2: How about the Dominio's points. I wasn't expecting the majority of this call to be Mama Sorrow calling out the legality and values of America. Then JP saying quote because they signed a contract and it was notarized. That's why how this is okay. Of course, referring to Adam Page getting stabbing John Moxley in the head.
Speaker 1: Of the foot because it's not her eyes, it's fucking I do get such great pleasure in just trying to just talk about legalities in regards to wrestling, that they signed away their rights because when they decided to do this match, and therefore that's why everything they do is legal. That's why you can't call the police and you.
Speaker 2: Talk to her as if, like everyone else in society understands this about the nature of contractual law and combats.
Speaker 1: Why don't you mom right?
Speaker 2: Sorry, if we've got to go through CIVIX one on one, I guess we'll do it. Julian Wilson, thank you for joining the EPTRE. We appreciate the cake. Matt Anderson, we appreciate you son. Frank Kirshner, thank.
Speaker 1: You so much. What about Adam Baum did he not have a He did? He had a hasbro.
Speaker 2: You know what, he was a big enough, colorful enough, he had a push. He wasn't like a permanent job or like Skinner and repel Man. Yeah, I think that's what's so weird about it is these aren't guys that had winning streaks, These guys that really you would watch WWF television and get excited about what they were going to do next.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't get with all the options they had while they picked certain guys that that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Listen, I agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you how about we make a Skinner toy before Brett Hart toy for instance, or a.
Speaker 1: Berserker right, great one Berserker one? And also, you know, listen, I think, why didn't Tito have one years before? Why to El Matador? Yeah, why isn't there a strike Force one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I bet if we looked at it hard enough, there's probably a two month period where they decided on most of the line and who was on TV, and that two month period is who got figures. And it's just totally arbitrary. It doesn't stretch as far left to right.
Speaker 1: But I guess I guess what makes like the ones like Skinner and what and repel Man is that you know, you think if Skinner's run really is from fall of ninety one up until WrestleMania with a little fucking couple of things here and there. The same thing with Repo Man, like well repe Man at least I guess went to SummerSlam. But like these figures came out like in ninety three. That's what makes it even weirder is that they may I mean, I know it probably took a little bit longer to make sure to make the figures, but like the they came out. I'm going to get the exact dates here because I need to know now. It just it's just wacky to me that that that that they came out so late. They got the oh yeah, hear this so serious? This is serious. Series I don't know when Series three came out, but not so series Series five. Series five is Skinner now that came out in ninety three, maybe even ninety four, ninety three. I'm gonna say, like late ninety three, that had Virgil the war I mean, these guys are gone. Virgil the Warlord, the MOUNDI Irwin the Model, Rick Martel had one, don't forget it, had one well after he was gone. Yeah, that's just what the weird thing is. The you know, the flare one was well after he was gone.
Speaker 2: Bizarre, very bizarre. They must have been they must have been deeply frustrated at Hasbro. They get this figure on the shelves so that they think is going to sell and the guy's gout of the company. Yep, even if it's a main event. Guy, you think you're safe there? Well, yeah, the mysteries of the Hasbro world. Indeed, now you asked one point, like you got to split the gum out. If you're wrestling, you can't put chewing gum. It makes it too fake. Remember when what we're talking about that? Yes, yes, Well the homie Scott Michael had a good point. He said, The one thing I'll say in defensive gum chewing is that it has been a game changer for me and my asthma lungs. If I'm doing card or an intense workout, my throat dries up quickly by breathing is ass and then I start coughing. Chewing gum helps me to keep the saliva going and almost keeps makes me feel like I can breathe normally.
Speaker 1: Listen. That I totally get. But I'm talking about being in a fight. Oh yeah, yeah, well he says, you're in a fight, are you chewing gum? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably not, even if you're afraid you're going to gag. But the thing is the mouthpiece, like you can't. That's the thing about I'm thinking to fight sports. Of course, something in a boxing running right, he says. You know, now, I mean, if I was in a real fight, I probably wouldn't be chewing in case I get knocked out and ended up choking on that shit. But none of these dudes are in real fights.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is I mean, it is true, but that's the whole point that they're supposed to be pretend that they're in real fights.
Speaker 2: But I will tend differently in the future at wrestlers chewing gum if it does indeed help, you know, prevent gagging and stuff. Because I remember there was one UFC fighter, I think he never made it anywhere, but he was on he was on one of the old fighter reality shows, and the guy could not keep the mouthpiece in. He just gagged every time he had the mouthpiece. He was it was a huge issue because my mouthpiece falls out. The referees kind of obliged to stop the fight and put it back in. That's supposed to, you know, not only help protect you against knockouts and keep your jaw flex, but you know, you lose all your fucking teeth and two fights you don't have that thing in your in your mouth. It was like it was a disaster. They had to like stop the fight like a hundred times, and it was like, how do we know he's not doing it on purpose? You know, it's crazy. So that's there are wrestlers out there who would get you know, that dry mouth or have trouble breathing, even though it does make it look fake. I guess it's it's either true gum or don't make a living as a pro wrestler.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I guess it.
Speaker 2: So the homie butt stuff and Heen and I think they should bring in a wrestler to be l A Knight's stag partner and call him La Day. You could call the team the La Times. Oh, that's definitely a team. Jack Coil get into thank you. He also things I think jelly Rolls whole marketing employee is I've been through some tough times and I have tattoos to show for it. He says, if you're a covering metha crack cocaine addict and you've done some jail time, Jelly Roll is your guy, especially if you want to come out and like, you know, if you want to come out and just like stop other people from get becoming addicts, you know, like save people, you know.
Speaker 1: If that's great, just stay out of the wrestling ring.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're ready for any ready for him at to wrestle at Summerslim. You know about this, right, No, he's been doing angles with Logan, Paul and smack Down every week. He's been throwing four arms, he's been getting physical. No, he's been doing he's doing the Tennessee twang on the promos.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, Logan. I think you're a bitch Loogan. Oh man, just why why is he doing this?
Speaker 2: And like or loves being associated with a real celebrity you know, of course he does. And I don't know if this will change by the time we get to a live call. But they put McIntyre in as as Paul's partner for the match, and then McIntyre goes home to England or the UK for a wedding and due to passport issues, he's stuck in the country and he probably can't make it to Summer Slam.
Speaker 1: That I did, I did see that one. I did see that.
Speaker 2: That's modern wrestling, man, What the fuck? There's always some stupid bullshit. If someone getting hurt doing a totally basic move, you know, some like arbitrary reason that, like something that you're you're built up to look forward to, totally doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: It's so ridiculous. Wait, why are you letting the guys go to weddings? It's a good question. Why are you doing that? I thought I'd go to a wedding the week before sommer slab. All right, well maybe it was as good pal I'm sure as Bal was happy he was there. Yeah, but now the fans what are what the fans?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 2: Now we're not gonna get who on the live call, which is definitely a loss for everybody. Brent Ericson, thank you very much for bumping up to the moat tier. That's a big veiny move of you, and we noticed it. James Cordy, thanks you very much for your support on patreon dot com slash the lapsed fans. Same to you, Caleb him and Chris Erba, thank you very much for your respective pledges. Kevin writes most WTFLJN. He submits out back Jack at LJN he proudly owns. So there's a vote for that. Adam writes modern day ted arcity looks like he knows too much about the dark Web.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that. Zach wants to know. You know who else changed the locks? Barry Oberwitzah. Zach also writes.
Speaker 2: He's the one who's wtf Hasbro's high energy Jim in the anvil? So that's where that came from. Okay, so put them one in the category there. And he also says Dan Spivey would be walking and in the middle of his walk it starts pouring rain. He doesn't change his gait or pace in the slightest, just a tiny smile forms on his face. Yes, he says, Spivey talking like he just discovered the concept of free will. And a BWF magazine interview is pretty outstanding. That's available to you as part of the Colosseum collection Best of the Wwfelony Mate and the Short Lived Attempt to Make Dan Spivey Well, Dan Hogan and Jeff wonders, is that blonde Dan Spivey or Martin short playing Jackie Rogers Junior? Is that Wayla Mercy? Or is it Walton Goggins. I mean, which is a great point, Joe writes co chairs listening to the new Colosseum collection when talking about if Dan Spivey became Dan Hogan. As I was painting my garage and I almost fell off a ladder because I have an uncle with that name and who, despite giving me ship for the last thirty three years about my love of scripted athletics, bought me my first galubes in nineteen nins right, shout out to uncle jo uncle Dan.
Speaker 1: Hogan, Dan Hogan, that would have been the name. That would have been the name for Spivey, kind of like Evad Sullivan. You know, I know, I'll like to introduce you brother to my uncle Dan Hogan. Dude, what did he have a nephew? Nephew Horace Hogan?
Speaker 2: And yeah, oh man, just fucking we talked about We talked about Rusty Brooks for the one and only time because he's in a coliseum wrestling Hulk Hogan in a ten second TV match before Randy Savage jumps Hulk, and Greg writes two things about Rusty Brooks. One, the WWF often booked him on Florida shows because he provided or rented out the ring to them.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. That's interesting. Wow.
Speaker 2: And he also portrayed a Mario character in i w CCW called super Duper Mario. Oh no, and that those are some unfortunate YouTube videos if you can find them, let me tell you that. Oh the ladies and gentlemen. Rusty Brooks, Okay, we've definitely checked that box Rus Brooks. Rustin is exactly washer wonders. Has there ever been a more different contract two gimmicks in the same body as laps dance bivey and lapsed Whale and Mercy Aby lapsed dolely and lapsed Doly.
Speaker 1: That's that's that is definitely true. So that's definitely true.
Speaker 2: But you know who isn't kind of two faced and who comes off consistently in just exactly one way every single time, no matter what you say to him?
Speaker 1: Who Zach brought it to us?
Speaker 3: This is w w E Hall of Famer Tito Santana giving a shout out to Jack as me by Zach.
Speaker 4: So you're right back in the nineties the body Jesse Ventura used to say, I used to sell tacos in Tijuana. Well, Jesse was a great commentator and a great wrestler who did say that? Plus a bunch of other stuff, But no, Jack, I was born in Mission, Texas.
Speaker 1: I was a migrant. I worked in the fields. I wish I was a good cook. I wish I could cook in Schilada's like my mom, But I can't.
Speaker 3: My mom, Mexican mom, wouldn't let the boys do anything in the kitchen. She did everything for us.
Speaker 1: May she rest in peace.
Speaker 4: So you're right, Jesse, the body which ends up to be a really good friend of mine.
Speaker 1: I hope I answered your question, Jack, I.
Speaker 2: Can only what I like to do is like reverse engineer what the questions were, because I see the answers before I see the questions. Yes, and he must have asked him like, did you did you grow up in Mexico selling tacos?
Speaker 1: Were you ever a taco vendor?
Speaker 3: Esse?
Speaker 1: Jesse Ventura clanned? And can you make uncolentary Enchiladas? I guess are very good? I guess that's a great question. Really. I mean, if there's one thing I didn't know about you? So do you make? Do you make Enchilada's? Big fan of Enchilada's since I started living down in Mexico. Hey, Hey, Hey, Chico. Hey, now wait just a minute, now, wait, just you're gonna tell me. You're gonna tell me Chevani that Chico Santana never sold tacos in Tijuana. I wasn't born yesterday. I wasn't I wasn't born in Mexico, but I do live there. William says, sids epidermous fluid contains baby oil, vienna juice warmed, not gelatinous, as if it was heated in the microwave, round up and infield dirt. I mean it's round round is a tough, tough one that one hits I I you know, and I also think part of it is to of Sid's skin. You know, when you cook a hot dog a little too long and then you let it sit out and it gets all shrivey and like tough and crunchy. Gross. Right now, that's part of it right there, that Sid.
Speaker 2: So they are from Tito Santana, thank you very much. Always good to hear from I think I think we can say, boss, it's always good to hear from Tito, right, yes, it is always, especially when it's unexpected. Christopher says, I feel like I'm having a coliseum colonoscopy and I'm not saying stop, I'm just saying more Miralaxe, and he said, fascinatingly, write this one down for the upcoming the complete Hull Cogan. Hogan did challenge for the Intercontinental.
Speaker 1: Title outside of the Wrestlmini six match in nineteen eighty one. Whoa against two Pedro Morales and none of Wow than look at that? Can we deal with that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, I cannot.
Speaker 2: Andrew noticed the lapsed editor article for the mailbag. Hello, I formally submit the attached article from the Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta, Georgia, Sunday, October twenty second, nineteen seventy eight, just around the time Hogan would have arrived down there, with the following excerpt. Today, the sport of kings has become rosslin, as practiced by the National Wrestling Alliance and other similar federations of promoters throughout the country. Wrestling today is considered by many to be more theater than sport. You ready for the quote from Atlantic Constitution Executive Sports editor Paul Body, please, As the paper notes, echoing the policies of numerous newspapers, the quote is we don't cover it because it's a feature event. It's a set script the promoters already know what the outcome will be. Oh, yes they do, Yes they do.
Speaker 1: Putting that quote in an article just amazing. I have no problem with it shadows whatsoever.
Speaker 2: To Andre who took the time to make a image of what the Dance Spivey book we suggested might look like. I don't know if you remember the title we suggested, Boss, but I don't put it in the chat while you just you just said the word right there. I need to take a good look at what a score one for a I R.
Speaker 1: On this one. I have to say, tell him, tell him what you're.
Speaker 6: Saying, tell him what you see. It got fucking wail and mercy dance Spiby sitting with his elbows on his.
Speaker 1: Knees, his his his his hands clapped together, and his like leaning on it with his chin behind him. Is the word don't underneath don't. This is the book title. Don't is this book tip? And the subtitle is long Strides and Low Ambition. Dan Spivey guy has no chance showing up on that tape when he did, no chance. None. Listen, it's totally fucked all right. Fucking shirt too. That that shirt is hilarious. I mean I'll tell you this is this is what AI is all is all about. Yeah, all right to me, this is what AI needs to be. It's this or or what you know Tim's shirt and I do. We'll text each other, you know, something will something will spawn some topic and we'll start sending each other. Yes, AI images of film composers wrestling. Oh, I can see that. I'm like John Williams, like, of course, trying to make trying to make Hans Zimmer submit in order they have a ladder match, and it's just like, it's just fucking it's so, it's just it's crazy, it's absurd. But that's that's what AI is good for. Yeah, stop taking jobs.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much it. You know what, TKO isn't good for wrestling? According to Josh from Knoxville, Tennessee, I'd like you to share his well well phrased sentiments with the Solar System boss.
Speaker 1: There you go, okay, dear CoA chairman. Since the TKO merger, WWE has become less of a wrestling company and more of a branded content wasteland designed by people who wouldn't know a wristlock from a wristwatch. It's not storytelling. It's corporate LARPing. What's LARPing? I don't know LARPing. I think it's like carping. Oh okay, let me let me take a look. Actually I don't know. And and not the fun kinda oh I see, oh I see. I uh, and not the fun kind. This is excel sheet wrestling, booked by market analysts and delivered in digestible chunks for board executives who think kay sahebe is a sushi role. I do like spreadsheet wrestling. That actually, yes, that that's that is tremendous. That's really clearly brilliant. I like I like that they're booked by market analysts. Yes, I love that. That's what it is. It's like you have stock stock market analysts who are saying, well, you know, I think this this one would really kind of boost the numbers. Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they used to laugh people off the investors calls that used to talk about the storylines, and now like right right, those people, it is basically deciding what direction it all takes.
Speaker 1: And yet, like a fool, I keep showing up. It's correcting, praying, needing, but not wwe Oh no, I need the co chairman in my ass like WW needs another grifter YouTuber overreacting to another Paul Hayman promo. I need it the way Triple H needs to treat every post pl E press conference like a super Bowl winning coat. You are the only ones reminding me that it used to mean something. You're my tether to win. This business was still run by sociopaths and not spreadsheets. And that's it. You know what, do you prefer sociopaths or spreadsheets? That's a good t shirt right there. Sociopaths over spreadsheets? Is that some That's about the sum of it, you know. There it is when a worked shoot meant something, when Danger and Carnie Magic lived under every turnbuckle. Now Cody finishes the story and it still feels like page one. Roman's off on PTO La Knights catchphrases have been focus grouped into oblivion and logan Paul Asmo become one of the most protected workers on the roster, which tells me everything I need to know about the target demographic. Right not me, It's just it's not just creative. WWE n R TKO has become a content farm, not a wrestling company. Everything is monetized, clipped packaged and forgotten. Listen, you want moments, we get metrics and the kicker. They've taken the fans completely out of the question. WWE has become a product for partners, shareholders and international media rights fans. We're the ones they fleece with fanatics hoodies and CGI lighting lightning bolts. And if you're not compliant with the narrative, you're not the target demo anymore. Ingo, So I come to you, Jack and JP. Keep me warm, keep me lapsed, keep me prolapsed, keep me deep in that audio documentary goodness, because if I have to watch WWE, pretend it's prestige television for another quarter. Oh wait till the fucking unreal show comes out. Oh man, wait for that. You know, they think they're doing the they're basically think they're doing the f one racing thing, right, like the behind the scenes, like listen, nobody cares all right, like nobody think.
Speaker 2: There was a quote I read from a Netflix guy, or I think the guy who directed it for Netflix, because it is kind of an outside person that did this project and he thinks like this is going to hook new people into WW when they realize how it all works.
Speaker 1: Behind the scenes. No, no, they're not. It's it's gonna turn What it's gonna do is it's gonna turn people who were on there on the last threads away. No, one's gonna fucking wat Why why would I want to? It's like, I mean, okay, because it's like having a weekly television show of a movie being made and then you go see the movie when it comes out, Like, I don't care. Listen, I'm fascinated by that stuff, and I would want to. I would want to, I would want to experience it, but I'm not gonna watch it. It's fucking stupid. Like, if anything, they should have made this a fictional show. Well, you know that's that would be funny. It will be I mean, right, that's the thing. It will be, guys, like help it work if a camera's on in the room. It's it's just you know.
Speaker 2: I know because I remember talking to Court Bauer about this years ago, because I I did a hit on Wrestling Observer Radio with Dave and Bryan one time because we were talking. I was talking about how this idea would I think be a way to drive subscriptions to the network.
Speaker 1: By the way, just kind I asked them to think about this. Did you ever think back in like two thousand and two that you'd ever be like, you know, doing shit with Dave? Well not, No. I corresponded with him regularly, and I interviewed him a bunch of times. But not when you were in college just reading me the observer. No, like, did you ever think you would like collaborate or whatever. No, no, no, no, no, not the odd just calling into his radio show and like emailing them and stuff. Yet right now, that's that's true. Yeah, we can't lose sight of that ten years on. You know how he came into the fold in those early WrestleMania and Star Kate episodes, and that's pretty wild to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point. But we were just talking about like in those earliest days in the network, when it was just run by WW there was no peacock, there was no guaranteed money. They were sweating every single month the subscriber number and what they'd have to report to Wall Street at the end of the quarter. They were pulling all kinds of gammicks. Remember like if you oh yeah, you get you lock in a cheaper price, if you agree not to cancel for six months, and it's like, you have no control of where whether someone cancels or not. You can't do that to people, right, You can't insist that they paid for something every month that they unless you make them sign an anual contract. But they never really wanted to do that because they were so stuck on that nine to ninety nine numbers, this like psychological thing, and they were just like constantly touting how many total hours of footage they had on there and playing all these games ye and I was like, well, what if they just, you know, what if a way to get all the people who watched Raw, which was in the millions compared to the hundreds of thousands that had the network, or at least the Nielsen ratings gave us the sense that it was in the millions anyway, if you gave them sort of like follow on shoulder programming where they actually could see how the episode of Raw that they just saw came together. Because there was so much it was becoming so clear that the network was hitting primarily people who you know, had enough of a familiarity and affinity for WW It was their core core base. It was people who might actually be interested in kind of pulling back the curtain a little bit, and I thought it would generate a lot of mainstream publicity. WW pulls back the curtain. I thought the stories wrote themselves, you know, the WWE's letting the audience into the room and stuff. Yea, all these years later, they're actually doing it. And one of the things I always wondered about as far as how to get around it is kind of like what you're saying, Like when you think about seeing someone making a movie and then going to watch the movie, that doesn't that doesn't really sound that intriguing. But if you see it after the movie comes out, like you would see a making a documentary.
Speaker 1: But that's that's one off thing. Yeah, one one off thing for one movie. That's a one off thing. Like you, yes, of course listen, I I I always love features and and and what I've always loved that like and one of my favorites of all time is the is in the The Gladiator Extended edition that came out in like two thousand and five or whatever. They had a three hour documentary and listen, that's great. But also the difference is too is that there were real stakes actually involved, whereas like and I get that there are real stakes here. But you know, there's a lot of drama that what happened on in that particular movie, And I just I just don't think a weekly television show is what the is? What the answer is A one off thing is different. If they did a two hour documentary, I think that would be interesting, Yeah, but I think having a weekly television program about how they create the fake wrestling is like, I don't know, he listened.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm wrong. I think there's a way to wrong to do it, but I don't know. The reason to the core Pauer about it was because he used to be in the writing team. We've had him on the show. He talked about Art of War Games. You used to be MLW Bookern was there. He said they were working on something like that. At one point they were kind of messing around with the pilot, and he said one of the things, if I'm remembering correctly, at hate to be misquoting him, but it was sort of like what happened was people on the writing team, especially once he used to be you know, wrestlers or television personalities, they just immediately just started trying to become the star of the show. And you actually didn't end up all getting a reflection of the organic creation process, because what's really key about that whole thing is that the real decisions are made after the meeting's over, the one to one little conversations in the hallway, right, you know, where everyone's k favoring each other in the room. So I do look forward to them pretending that the big conference table is where the real winners and losers get picked, when in reality, it's just like that's the consensus and then everyone goes in politics one to one afterwards to make last minute changes not I don't know. I don't know if Triple Ah is receptive to that or not. But we're going to see. And the idea that they the idea I think is going to drive new fans, is pretty hilarious to me. I've seen stranger things I've seen. I've seen Total Bella's drastically increase the amount of women watching RAW.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, I mean yeah, I mean listen, I'm not I'm not saying that it's not going to happen. I just I just don't see how that would do the trick to me. It just I just can't I can't picture it. I don't see it, Yeah, and maybe it will maybe maybe you will do everything you know that they're that they're fucking talking about, But it just I don't see it. Yeah, I don't see it at all.
Speaker 2: It's very I look forward to seeing how they present it because it's something I've thought about what it would look like for a long time. I thought it was going to be a lot more interesting when Vince was around, because everyone always so you really want to know what I really thought the value would be, honestly, is to be able to study the look on Vince's face and the tone of his voice when he discussed his individual talent, like that means yeah, because that to me get talent over like if people suspected from watching a show like this that Vince wasn't giving a guy affair shot, or Vince had blinders on regarding a certain talents upside because this was during the time you gotta remember, I'm talking like twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, pre aew pre evenknew Japan's resurgence. This was the time when people were just like, why are these great wrestlers getting absolutely no chance when there's only one place to really go in the entire business to make a real living, and everybody was there, you know, and that.
Speaker 1: Was kind of what I thought.
Speaker 2: The upshot of it was was like it's almost like a way to get to Vince in his mindset because of how big a hit him being on the Stone Cold podcast was, and what he said about John Moxley, what he said about Czarro, what he said about a handful of wrestlers. That really stuck with you because it was that rare opportunity to really get a pulse check from Vince on what he thought about the wrestlers right right. And I don't know, I just thought that would be fascinating now that it's now that it's like t KO and stuff and all these guys, all these guys are workers and shirts and they're not like they're not.
Speaker 1: The old cabal.
Speaker 2: I used to like that idea, you know, of like the Jerry Briscoes and those kind of guys, the Patterson sitting around tapping the desk.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it would be I think it would be drobendous if you go, you know, and making these little political uh suggestions back and forth. But now they they they do production meetings and they have these expensive conference rooms and that's not really what I mean, you know, but right, and yeah, maybe they can capture more than that. Maybe maybe they can capture more because they're kind of playing it up like we're gonna take you through how Rock Cody all that went down, and there's like there were cameras and these key moments where changes in direction were being communicated to people backstage. There's like a lot more film than we realize. Okay, I mean, whatever, Rock's gonna have something to say. These are the kind of Rock is such a documentary mark like, oh, of course he's gonna like micromanage every frame that he's in on a show like this. Gouda protoct the perception. You know, it's gonna have a just the gaudiest Versaci shirt you've ever seen in every.
Speaker 1: Oh God list. I wouldn't expect anything less. Okay, I would not expect anything less.
Speaker 2: Zach Alson makes a good point. He says, you know, when tapes were sixty dollars, You're right, no one questioned that's what they were worth. But I also didn't know of anyone who had very many tapes because it was such a premium to actually buy one. If someone bought all three tapes in eighty six from Coliseum Video would have roughly been the same cost as buying a Nintendo Entertainment says.
Speaker 1: It's true. It is very true. I don't know how that, you know, I never I never bought, you know, I copied, I rented and and I copied.
Speaker 2: And people still made bajillions of dollars off distributing vvhs and no one complained about it.
Speaker 1: I was alive. No one complained about tapes being that much. No one complained.
Speaker 2: But then course, like everything else, it becomes a race to the bottom from a price perspective. What if we made it twenty dollars, Oh yeah, well, we'll make it eighteen, we'll make it fourteen, we'll make it twelve, and then pretty soon it's just like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: We'll make it my mom.
Speaker 2: Right, making my mom exactly, and then we've know how that goes. And now everything it's not even worth two million movies on Netflix aren't even arguably worth fourteen ninety nine a month. It seems, I know, how did we get here? How did we so thoroughly devalue an individual unit of entertainment? How did we do this to ourselves? Well, were we chasing how stupid.
Speaker 1: Because it became about it became because you know, just kind of like what they're talking about. It changed. It became more about instead of about creating entertainment or art or whatever, it became about you know, when Netflix streaming okay, and it became about, well, how can we maximize membership? Yep, And that's just like what we're talking about with w how can we get more people to sign up? And then it and it became about more and more and more and more and more and more and more, and now we're overloaded with stuff. I mean, you know, there's it's funny, you know. You know, my my parents always just my mom and my grandma would always say you you don't have time to watch all the videos that you own. It's like, well I did, actually now I don't. Now there's no time, right because like there's so much shit out there. Because there's sixty prestige shows at a time that everyone tells you that you have to watch, right, I'm not watching any of them, guys, when I say I am not going to watch a single one of them, not one, because they're sixty. If there were two, like Sopranos Game of Thrones days even yep, yep lost. Yeah, I was there. I was fine participating in the office on NBC. Yeah, I was watching every week and I was fine with it because there.
Speaker 2: Weren't eighty shows that I had to watch and had to you know what I mean, But I had to. Yes, it's just not working. It's not working for anybody.
Speaker 1: It's harder. I mean, this is and and I mean it's the market's oversaturated. It's have you seen the Happy Almore sequel? No, I'm a little bitter about it. Okay, well I think that that was why I asked you. But well, I know, I know, I know, well I know, but I don't even if I told you, you know, I was. I was. I was on hold for like two or three parts. I'm not sure you told me that before. Yeah, they were gonna exa. I don't usually talk about it until well after things are done. Yes, but uh, breaking news here, folks. Yes, this is what you get by listening deep into the mailbag. Right. So, I I auditioned for a role and they put me, put me on hold. They were going to use me, and they then let me go from that role, but then put me on hold for another role, and they were like, we're gonna use like we want to use him, you know, And so I was on hold. And then I found out that MJF was in the movie and I was like, oh my god, two movies jflets because fucking cool. But then they never called me back. I never I never worked. I think I think he might have.
Speaker 2: You know, he might have said no, no, no, no, fucking hire that that's the guy he used to know about wrestling on the last movie. I did, No, he's not anywhere, get stop it, stop it. He he doesn't listen. I asked him if he watched my TV show. He said he he said to me that that he that I that I was the guy who he would watch wrestling. You know, I could make him watch wrestling again. And then he say doesn't watch, So fuck him. He knows too much. I don't doubt. I don't doubt that happened. I don't doubt that happened for a second. And Becky was on the movie.
Speaker 1: You know, I saw that. You think I'm gonna work with the lapsed fat guy on the set. But okay, so now I can go in.
Speaker 2: Yeahs an explosion of boardroom strategy in the form of a two hour movie, just trying to shoehorn every fucking person who does over a million views on reels into a movie. I've never seen anything like it. These, you know, they set up this whole conceit where like everyone's watching this big final showdown golf show, so they have all these podcasters watching like they're watching it live so they can fit them into the movie.
Speaker 1: Am I scrolling Instagram here? Or is this supposed to be a feature phone one?
Speaker 3: Am I? You know.
Speaker 2: My phone is my phone and I accept certain formats of entertainment on my phone. Why is why is the television obsessed with coming off.
Speaker 1: Like my phone? Why is every commercial vertical video? Why?
Speaker 2: Why is every cosmetics ad trying to convince me it's actually a snapchat?
Speaker 1: I'm I'm, I'm, I'm infuriated. Hor about the thought, the the people, the people who liked introduced vertical video. You know, that's when it started. That's when that's when we started losing the battle. I swear to God.
Speaker 2: Remember people used to get made fun of a vertical video? Remember that, Yes, because we still had an idea of like what you appropriate You.
Speaker 1: Know that in in when I When I get an audition, it has to be specified, like casting directors specified, do a fucking horizonal video. Do not do a vertical video for your audition.
Speaker 2: Because they're just going to look at it. They're just going to look at it on their phone while they're having a thirty dollars cappuccino.
Speaker 1: Because the fucking like you got to do a fucking you have to do a horizonal video, you cannot do vertical. They get fucking pissed. And and I just like it was lazy people who were just filming shit, you know. And it's like I've never I have never voluntarily like when I before, you kind of you know, had to now because if you if you, if you shoot horizontal for social media, they don't allow it. Basically you have to have these giant you know, the giant black bars has a fit basically a yes, you have to. It's so annoying. But I used to like say, what are you doing, Like why are you filming you know, oh, someone's getting beaten over there? Why are you filming it that way? Film it's you know, horizontal, like a fucking movie.
Speaker 2: That's that gets to the idea. And I was about to say this None of these choices that we've made in terms of how we shoot entertainment has been done with artistic goals in mind. It's all been dictated by the technology. The technology should figure out.
Speaker 1: But it's but it's also lazy. It's also laziness. It's the fact that people didn't want to you know, people were scrolling in their phones and something happens, They're just like, oh, let me get this, and they just fucking put their put their their phone up there instead of you know, doing what I would have done, which is like, oh, I got to do it for the.
Speaker 2: Reason you just said, if they don't shoot it in in vertical, then they cannot do it to social But.
Speaker 1: But but before that was a thing. Yeah, before before social made it made it the requirement, that's what people were doing. Like, people were always sending me videos vertical. I'm like, what are you doing? Like, do you do you? Have you ever watched TV like this? Exactly? Well, that's the thing. They don't care about the TV screen anymore. They Well, I know, but but I'm talking about before that, before this, Why did you do this? Why did people before it became the fad, before it became the thing you had to do. Why did you do this to begin with? Why aren't you filming like a fucking adult? Why are you filming like an ignorant, fucking piece of shit?
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that wins out right, It wents out because all people care about is that we're evolving.
Speaker 1: We're devolving, Okay, that we are. Listen, when you start filming shit vertical, you're losing the battle and you're just you're, you're, you're, you're, you're dumbing everybody down, oh very much. So you're dumbing everybody down. You're doing it, and you're also making them lazy because then they don't have to work to fucking get it to be a fucking horizontal thing. And it gets back to they're not making a movie to create art.
Speaker 2: They're making a movie to create a social sensation that they're metrics. They're trying to click back, they're trying to click their own video into the hopeless addiction that they have to vertical video scrolling. That's that's when we lost the battle, folks. You can point to a million societal things, you can point to a million political things, you can point.
Speaker 1: To whatever you want.
Speaker 2: We lost the battle when life became about flicking upwards on your phone, and it just doesn't ever fucking end. It doesn't TikTok never ever ends. And if it has the slightest hint, the slightest hint that you may be even somewhat interested in content that will drive you to an early grave, it will not stop showing it to you. Yeah, I don't understand. You know, we did it to ourselves, and we shoot our entertainment, working ourselves backwards from these arbitrary technology decisions that have nothing to do with faithfully and interestingly representing the subject of the video or the picture, or whatever the case may be. We literally just do things because that's the way Samsung and Apple decided everything's going to be displayed, two companies full of people that would wouldn't know art. If they were trapped in an art gallery for thirty years, they wouldn't be able.
Speaker 1: To find it.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying everything has to be art, but fucking movies, no TV shows, I mean, come on, folks, photographs.
Speaker 1: Right, there's just there's just I mean, I remember I read I read something there was somebody who said, you know, I think it's time we have movies. You know why don't we have a movie films vertically? Exactly what are we doing? We can just sell out inventory. We got it because it would look because it would look stupid. How about that. That's why, because it would look fucking stupid and you would be labeled a moron. That's why you don't fucking film a movie vertical. We're just old fuddy duddies, I know exactly.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, people can't watch a video for more than two and a half minutes without having a panic attack as they're bored.
Speaker 1: Right, and yet there's a fucking pro wrestler in the goddamn White House.
Speaker 2: Paul says, Yeah, our local store treated the tapes like the gold they were.
Speaker 1: That's right. You take care of those tapes or you pay a stiff penalty. Physical media hard stop. Physical media things are better. Ephemeral digital media things are worse. I I well, yes, i'll tell you what. I'll tell you what. I liked both. Yes, I liked. I liked the days when you could buy I'd go buy a Blu Ray. I liked the idea that I was forced to go buy a blue ray. Ask me too, and I would get the digital copy with it. Sure, see that that was something that I liked doing. Now I don't buy any anything, any Blu rays because I'm not going to watch a Blue ray. And this is another I'm going to watch a digital thing, you know, like yes, they're they're you know, because everything you know, I watching it on you know, Apple TV. And once I got an Apple TV, it was game over, you know, goodbye, good bye discs. I'm sorry, I loved you. I still have some forgot to have my office. I still keep a collection, you know, like their fucking antiques.
Speaker 2: And the amount of people who stopped getting paid when you stop buy those DVDs is infinite.
Speaker 1: It's it's listen, it's it's way. It's it's true. It's true. And the only reason the only reason why I allowed myself to kind of shift completely over into buying is because I was able to yes, correct, It wasn't necessarily a choice, it was a well shit, I don't need to do that anymore. Yeah, yeah you do.
Speaker 2: You definitely don't make that shift with any evil intentions. And look, the things people always get twisted about these kind of commentaries is that we somehow are suggesting that somebody is at fault for making a poor choice along the way. No, what we decry is that we had no choice.