Speaker 1: This is Dan Caples and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Our guest has been in the ring a lot longer than that. Really happy to have Pete Boyles with us, and we first started talking this afternoon about this pet peeve of mine. Of all these buildings and roadways paid for by all of us, being named after politicians, why not name them after our true heroes who have given their lives for us or otherwise accomplished something truly physically courageous and heroic. And Pete's been trying for a long time now to get a certain stretch of Adams Street named after ellen Burg. And so the conversation has rolled from there. So Pete, appreciate you staying for another segment.
Speaker 2: Danny, I love working with you the topic and I thought of something during the break. Remember when Donald Trump is recently he wanted to rename Veterans Day the Victory Day for World War One, a way to celebrate the N'say's military victory. And he began at the first part of them. I think it was for part of May. The Victory Day for World War Two is pushing. I think it was May eighth to move that day, and Veterans Day's at federal holiday. But all these different shifts that are taking place right now, I don't know how comfortable I am, But I'm an old guy. So what do you do with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, I am all for a major shift towards just honoring a lot of people who don't normally get honored, even some names we don't know. So anything that furthers that great. If we're talking about Veterans Day in particular, I'd hate to mess with Veterans Day, just because it's such a part of our culture and our history right now, right and everybody knows what it means. But yeah, the individual folks, I think we need to see change on that in Colorado right now. I mean, who else would you want to name things? After? We know Alan Berg is on your list. I agree with you completely on that.
Speaker 2: But we're talking about some judges that we both know or knew. Yes, how about how about sports guys? I mean we talked about Dick Connor, but in essence, he's the media guy. Yeah, John Elway, I mean, uh.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a that's a great question. But it's stupid to me to even say that, because that's one of the reasons that you're the man is you've been you ask these provocative questions and fearlessly. You know, when it comes to sports, Pete might take at least would be it can't just be x's and o's. It asked to be somebody who also represents those values, right, that that has that level of character, et cetera. So the our instant thought up here was kind of Peyton Manning. And that's no knock on anybody else, but but who else from the sports world.
Speaker 2: You know, there's been some great old prize fight that that fought in Denver in the forties and fifties. Corky Gonzalez was one of them. Cowboy Ruben Shanks was another one. I'm kind of a history geek about boxing. Uh, late great ron Lyle was one. So what do we do with those guys? What do we do?
Speaker 1: You know that the first thing you do is name something after Cowboy Ruben Shanks just because of the name, right, everybody will want a house on that street.
Speaker 2: But I gotta pay you something. Uh, there're the guy's ducked him, you know. And yeah, they didn't want to fight. They didn't want to fight cowboys.
Speaker 1: For the record, I know nothing about his lifestyle. But but Pete, this has kind of insane. Right. How does Colorado not have any street or building named after John Elway? Right? Come on, I mean you talk about probably and listen, I've had my disagreements with him and my many agreements, But you talk about somebody who has just kind of transformed Denver and Colorado as a sports town. There's got to be something named after Elway.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Elway probably to a high degree of probability, along with some people that you and I know, Lee Larson, John Beek, and Roger Odden. They built that new stadium that man built John Elway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, went.
Speaker 2: Back to back. He built that, He built that stadium.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think John Elway did so much to bring us together. And I'm still pissed at him over the tebow stuff. Sorry, kids, still upset, But but Elway, he was so good, better than he gets credit for that bound people together in this whole Rocky Mountain region more than anything else other than people's faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, I remember, I mean, who would you think we have Let's see, Mother Caprini's there, you know, you know who I always loved with shape you and I yeah, yeah, reserve than anybody for the first American pope.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, he would have been perfect. Yeah. But in terms of naming, going back to the judge thing, and I'm sure people are gagging right now because Daniel a lawyer, you're trying to kiss up. And I'm just telling you there are certain judges who did so much good for this community. They they gave up an awful lot of money, because all these judges could be earning millions over the course of their career and they give that up to do this important judge work. But like you mentioned judge Mage, right, I mean, and in a certain at a certain point, Pete, don't you think And I think this should include teachers, police, firefighters, people from military. But we should have big things named after at least one person from from each of these kind of heroic categories. And I think one of those categories should be judge.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, what's the purpose of naming something after? You ask yourself? The Navy does it with ships, you know, I suspect, well, the Air Air Force does it with with fields. I mean with there's you know, places air Force installations named after great great men, pilots, heads of this, heads of that, and so you know, what, what what? What's the basis? And I think in a city, I think you're right, there has to be something that's directly connected to civil pride, to making progress on you know, something that was really hard for people to deal with. We were talking about Native Americans and what happened to the Native Americans to talking about the custom the battlefield when you and I were kids, and a bar that might one of the many bars my father drank in had that dia drama dry. I think they're called dioramas Custer at the little Big Horn on the hill, buck skins, the I think they're coat maybe pistols killing Native Americans isn't true, not even close. And I thought to the Aero Flynn that Custer was a hero. No he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and so what do we do with yeah? No, Well, on the positive side of it, I think something has to be named after Bill McCartney because he had a guy who not only transformed the sports landscape, but but stood for some very important principles. I mean for me as a Christian, I think, and for many people as Christians. He was just a tremendous role model. But he also accomplished the sports thing.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't know him well Wood he paid, he paid, he was and he I mean, how about for Steve.
Speaker 1: Raims, Oh man, he's a stud. He named a lance and Steve is a stud. There is no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: I'm so thrilled to him on the air. We're riding together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because because you know, on air one day I said, hey, you know, I'm going to be doing a lot of trials. Let's add we have great feelings, but let's add some more folks. And a lot of people said, Steve reams. And I'm glad they did. I'm glad they did it. You know, I was just you just said something that made me think of a funny story. But I've got to filter it through a break and see if i can tell it without getting fired. So so I'll work on that one for a second. But Pete, it's a you know, we have people lighting up the lines to talk to you. Can you hang in there for another segment. Of course, Yeah, yeah, no, let's do that because Peepoyles are a special guest, and we're talking obviously about okay, naming stuff, building streets, et cetera. Who should we be naming things after? Get specific? And should we be taking any of these down? Because whether I like them or not, nothing, nothing should be named after a living politician. You're on the Dan Capla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dankaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Lines on fire for very good reason. Peete Boyles is with us. If you're new to the area, Pete is a true radio icon and so great to have them with us. We're talking about something lighter but still having important today, the naming of buildings, roadways, et cetera. And who do we need to name what after him? What name should come down? I say, none of this stuff should be named after living politicians. Pete. Let's go to the phone lines. Lots of people want to talk to Pete. Let's start with how about Brad in Highland's Ranch. You're on the Dan Kapla Show with Pete Boyles.
Speaker 4: Welcome Brad, Doctor Dan Kaplis I like that now on right?
Speaker 1: Hi, boy I hope everybody does, especially my wife.
Speaker 4: Hi, mister Boyles, talk to you man several times.
Speaker 2: I'm real quickly.
Speaker 4: I just want to talk to you guys about the state sport of Colorado, which is pack burrow racing. We raced hockeys in the mountains. A little history. In nineteen fifty one, a young lady lined up with her burrow named Pill. But she had to have facial hair, and so she cut off some golden blocks of her granddaughter's hair gluted on her face and she ran from fair Play to Leadville. That's the first woman to ever run a marathon in nineteen fifty one. Wow, they say missus Schwartz at the Boston at sea level in nineteen sixty seven. We have had over one hundred women run marathon distances here in Colorado since nineteen fifty one. You can find the stories in the New York Times. She has a book, she has a children's book. She's in the Women's Hall of Fame. Edna Miller.
Speaker 3: Edna Miller.
Speaker 1: So your thought, Brad, as we named something after Edna Miller.
Speaker 2: She's a school teacher.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: She checks a lot to the boxes, okay, and she's like something.
Speaker 4: Heroic, something courageous. It's something never been done before.
Speaker 1: What should we name after Edna Miller? She sounds more than worthy.
Speaker 4: I think it's got to be a building. This within eyesight of I twenty five?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well, Brad, appreciate that. Thank you, my friend. Appreciate the call, one.
Speaker 2: Brad from you? Would you put at the bottom? So get your ass over the past.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen August tenth, the Bunavisa, third leg, simple crown. I'll see you in Bunavisa.
Speaker 1: I love the enthusiasts, the.
Speaker 5: Pause.
Speaker 2: Who was the sheriff? They had the sheriff? The jail is named after.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Sullivan, Sheriff Sullivan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one.
Speaker 1: Didn't he go into the jail that had his name on it? Yeah, that's like Chicago, except in Chicago they'd leave the name on it.
Speaker 2: Did you read Royko's book Boss?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: When he said he said that when you became sheriff of Cook County there and he gave you one term and somebody said why, and Daily is alleged to have said, if you can't steal nothing one term another.
Speaker 1: That the smartest move I ever saw, because I grew up on the south side, in the southwest side of Chicago, they had this, uh little junior college, well little community college built over by a shopping center on the southwest side, and then somebody had the brilliant idea to name it Richard J. Day Junior College, and it became like Harvard overnight. I mean, all the money they could pop simply spend once they named it after mayor Daily. But yeah, brilliant. It's like under armour. Can you imagine if they named under armor like sports underwear, nobody would have bought a piece. Jack in Cheyenne, You're on the Dan Kapla Show with Pete Boyles.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Danny.
Speaker 1: How you been well, I've been great. More importantly, how's Pete ben.
Speaker 2: Oho? Here Pizza National Treasure. I've always gone there. Man.
Speaker 1: How many years on air, Pete?
Speaker 2: Oh god, my daughter turned fifty and I went on fifty. I did the traffic report that morning because the tracks support a didn't show up and I was I was, that's my first day on the air, So she's not fifty. Yeah, well, what is.
Speaker 1: Your most memorable day on air? Oh?
Speaker 2: Boy, my son was born. We were working. I think there's been days where there have been very you know, frightening things, and there's been really wonderful things that happen, and you know, it's hard to put them together. Or most important person you ever met. I've met some people that, like you, point out about renaming things that no one knew who they were, and yet they were their home runs, right right, and don't have an answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you will by the end of this show, I promise you, Jack fire Away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's one mountain they haven't renamed yet, and I'm waiting for them to do it now. Pike's Peak has definitely got to be renamed. And it's obvious it's got to be renamed Obama Peak because Cebulon Pike was number one, he was never a community organizer, okay, and number two he never handed out Obama books. So I mean, I don't see how you can keep it pike Sneak anymore.
Speaker 4: That's over.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Jack, appreciate that contribute. Actually a great call. Thank you, Jack, appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well. One more. Danny and his Dinner.
Speaker 1: Oh you gotta go. Oh h you're such a historian. Tell me what you think about this idea. I think this whole Gore range thing and all of that Gore Creek. I think that's got to change because everything I read about that guy, and listen, I'm not one of these, you know, woke change the name of anybody who screwed up guys, not at all. But that guy, from everything I've read, no redeeming, you know, no actions, and he just slaughtered innocent animals all over the West.
Speaker 2: But there's a great line that historians say he was a man of his time. And when they start to go after Columbus, he was a man of his time. That's what they did. And so you want to judge him by twenty twenty five standards of the late early fourteenth century fifteenth century, it comes up short. He was a man of his time. What are you doing? I don't know. Yeah, I got two hungry guys here.
Speaker 1: I'll let you go, my friend, and then I love you. Thank you, okay, too soon? Thank you, Pete. That is a Pete Boyles kind enough to be with us.
Speaker 3: So I wonder what he was fixing up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, must have been good. It sounded like something on the grill in the background. Yeah, yeah, boy, I don't think we'll see another I don't think we'll see another like Pete. I don't think unless it's Ryan Shuling, I don't think we're going to see another dominant radio guy or gale like you know, for like from the Pete Boyles Alan Berg kind of mode. You know, Kelly and Company was so huge for so long. I just don't think you're going to see anybody dominate like that.
Speaker 7: It's a different landscape. I think people have kind of migrated to the podcast sphere. I know there are a lot of people that listen to this program, probably on a podcast format and that platform.
Speaker 3: So hey, you have to evolve.
Speaker 7: And change with the times, and if you don't do that, you're probably going to die out. So yeah, it was just a golden era of radio when Pete Boyles was hosting shows in this market.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And I mean you just there are certain people on air you just wouldn't miss, and he is one of them. An awful lot of people would never miss Mike Rosen, you know, for example. I mean, but I think Pete and aild it, Ryan. I think it's kind of the tribalization, the polarization because now back in those days, I mean with Capitalist and Solman and then some shows I did before that, we'd have all sorts of Democrats and Republicans and all this and that, but people are kind of now in their own camps. Not all, but most. Hey, I'm looking at this text, Ryan, and I've been in trial and about to start another trial, so it looks like I can miss something here, says Dan. I'm assuming you saw that the fifteen year old who killed a young woman has been deported along with his family. Is that accurate? It is?
Speaker 7: And I actually received a text from John Weaver, the father of Kitlyn, who was the young woman killed yeh as the car home by this driver, and also had a communication with John Fabricatory, who was involved in the apprehension of this young man and his family. And yes, ICE has marked them for deportation, and they posted on x about it as well, contrasting how they have handled that suchua to how Amy Padden, the DA in the eighteenth Arapo County decided to hand this kid probation just so he would not get deported.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the surprise in the plot twist. He's leaving anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now this text says, actually bend deport.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, ar Yeah, we'll follow up at.
Speaker 1: The newsroom and see if there's something we can confirm there three out three someone three A two five five, or as they say in English, three O three seven one three A two five five. You can text d A N five seven seven three nine, getting a lot of good texts, and okay, you know who should who should we name streets and buildings after? Are there any that should come down? What do you think of Pete's point that, and I not repeating verbatim, but that you have to judge people by the times they lived in. Certainly, I think no sane person could ever suggest Washington, Jefferson any of that come down. And I never would suggest that in a million years. When you talk about a guy like Gore, that Gore Range and Gore Creeks named after, et cetera. I don't see any reason why you'd leave that up here on the Dan Caplas Show.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dan Caplis Show podcast.
Speaker 1: He's fine too, They're fine. They're two really good people. I know him very well, and I don't know what that was all about, but I know him very well and they're fine. Yeah. President Trump, who has to be the funniest president of our lifetime. Ronald Reagan could tell some great jokes and deliver them very well, right, but off the cuff humor. Here's the start of that, President Trump.
Speaker 8: This week, there was a video on board a plane that showed the First Lady of France slapping her husband Emmanuel mccrump. Do you have any world leaders, world leader marital ad life, make sure the.
Speaker 1: Door remains flowing. That was not good. And I spoke to him and he's he's fine. They're fine. They're two really good people. I know. So, you know what, And that's great because not to get all philosophical and everything else, it's just true. Obviously we were created to respond to humor. Right, very few things immediately instinctively, unconsciously just open the mind and open the heart like good humor. And so I think that has served him very well. Three or three someone three eight two five five takes d a n five seven seven three nine. Pete Brle's kind enough to join us for a long time. Where Pete's been trying to get a stretch of a roadway named after ellen Berg for a long time, and it obviously should be so hopefully that will happen. But his broader conversation of what needs to be named after whom, and should any of the stuff right now come down like Paya Boulevardnay, different politics. But I like Federico Pina. I liked him when I was around him, I liked him when I had him on air. So it's nothing personal. I just think that when the taxpayers are paying hundreds of millions for these buildings and roads, we don't name them after politicians. We name them after people who've risked their life and or died for this this this city, people who come from different walks of life and represent the best of us and to this texture, says, I think we should name something after Dave Logan and Mike Rosen both. I'd support both of that, But here's my point. Here's my and Dave Logan truly just has had a special place in Colorado that nobody else has really occupied, right, just all the different things he's done so well. But I think what we need to do is, I think we need to have we need to go about this in a systematic way, and we need to identify categories, and before we do anything else, we're going to have something big named after at least one person from each category because we need something named after military here, right. We need something named after a fallen officer, we need something named after a fallen firefighter. We need something named after a heroic teacher. And there are different forms of heroism. But obviously, if Dave Sanders gave his life for his kids at Columbine, you know we we've just got to have we got to be honoring people from these different categories. And this makes my point right that the very last category that we would honor somebody out of is political. Now, if you're talking about some legendary figure, we talked to some our big time president. Sure, but I think that's what we need to do, and we need to get thoughtful about that and then talk about whether something needs to come down. Three all three someone three eight two five five the number texter for a hero. My vote is for George Brouckler, for all the major criminal trials he's handled across the decades, Columbine auroa theater and stems such a rock star that from our friend Alexa Ryan, is anybody ever admired you as much as a lefe? Said Meyers. George Brockler, And and listen, oh, George deserves all that credit.
Speaker 3: But I hope Kelsey, but close.
Speaker 1: When is the wedding? I know we have it on our calendars. I just can't remember when it is. You didn't send the invite? Did you see I got them?
Speaker 3: I got No?
Speaker 1: I know we do.
Speaker 3: You have an rs VP?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: It was sent via email, very nifty and easy.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember, because you're so excited to get it. Yeah, sorry, come, I vividly remember it coming in. But it's in October.
Speaker 3: Would be excited?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh yeah, no, we were talking about it, but I'm so surprised we didn't RSV mid October.
Speaker 3: It's around here.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: You should be able to make it.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, very much looking forward to it. I've got an almost a month long trial in September. Oh good, but we'll be out for October. Yes, yes, Dan. What about all the Olympic athletes getting roads, especially in the springs and mountains. I didn't know that, but I don't, like automatically have some problem with that or anything. But yeah, I just don't know if anybody has those details. Would love to hear them. Some Taylor Swift text because I know I was on the way to the show today, and our daughter called and said that, Actually I called her because she's in trough with me next week, and she said, Hey, just hear see Taylor bought her songs. Did you see that? Ryan? That she bought her original songs back from the company she had signed them away to when she was young.
Speaker 7: And there's been some dispute between her and the producers, right because there's like Taylor's version of all these songs that she originally had produced.
Speaker 1: You know how much she just paid to get Taylor's version back? I can only imagine what would you guess? A billion, three hundred and ninety four million. Okay, yeah, so I'm more than the third of a billion? Yeah no, no, that's yeah, yeah no. She must want those back, but but she should have them back. Hey, want to get to some hot sound of the week as well, But let me work in another call or too. Let's go to Denver, talk to a Lane. You're on the damn Capitalist Show. Welcome, Elaine. Did that become a tough name after Seinfeld started? Or maybe an even better name?
Speaker 9: You know, I didn't after Seinfeld. I really didn't get any flack about it. In fact, nobody ever brought it up. You're the probably one of the rare ones that every that ever brought it up, but thank you for the memory of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were. We were parking at a Nuggets game last month and the guy, you know, letting people into the parking lot, he had every Seinfeld character tattooed on his arms.
Speaker 9: The name was on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So what do you think and what do we name after whom?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm a Denver native. In fact, I've listened to Pete Boyles ever since he's been on the air, and you know, I remember all of his his history, he grew how he grew up, and the working in the Pennsylvania steel mills and all that. But anyway, being a Denver native, I grew up knowing a lot of people that went to that Emily griff At Opportunity School and it has served a purpose here in Denvers for a long long time. And I'm a native, so you'd think I would know the streets, but I'm not aware that there is a Griffith Street named after her. And then also, you know Elitch Gardens named for Mary Elitch. I think there's an Elitch Parkway, but it's you know, it's in the entry you get. But I don't know if they would consider a separate street away from that, away from the actually Elitch Gardens, you know, just a separate Elitch street that's not part of Elitch Parkway.
Speaker 1: What a great point. And as you were saying that, it occurred to me and guys you may know of this, it may exist. But is there a street named after Alan and Jerry Phipps, the original owners of the Broncoast.
Speaker 9: I came close to working for them. In fact, I was indirectly connected to the Phipps. There is Allen and Gerald Phipps. They had a sister who had married one of my bosses. I used to work for a guy that was in property management, so and he was connected with the Broncos due to his wife was the sister of Alan Phipps.
Speaker 1: So then yeah, small world, there's got to be something named after them. Talk about helping to shape that the trajectory of the community. Elaine, thank you for your call. Sure, yeah, appreciate that. Yeah, wow, because you think about how different Denver would be. Right because when the Phipps they brought the Broncos in in nineteen sixty and they were part of the AFL at that time, the NFL was obviously what really mattered, and then the AFL was trying to compete. And then you got to nineteen sixty eight, and then there was going to be the merger between the AFL and the NFL, and that's how you ended up, obviously with the AFC and the NFC. But here's the deal. They got to nineteen sixty eight and the NFL wouldn't not take the Denver Broncos or any AFL team unless they had a stadium of a certain size. Denver didn't, so they put it on the ballot to have a bond issue to be able to expand Mile High Stadium and in order to join the NFL. The voters voted it down. The voters voted it down, and then what happened was fans went grassroots. They literally went to the streets collecting money on street corners, going door to door having bake sales, and they raised enough money the fans did to be able to expand the stadium and keep the Denver Broncos. That's how the Broncos stayed here. But the Phipps say, is bringing this team here in the beginning and then building it up to the point they actually made it to a Super Bowl. It's got to be something named after them. So I wonder how we do this. I'm thinking about mechanically, how do we get something put into place, because it's you know, there's going to be individual control from city to city, town to town, as well as some statewide stuff. But how do we get some process in place to make sure that people who should be honored more people who should be honored get honored, because it's a real waste to not be doing that right now. I think it says something important. It says something important to kids and encourages, you know, the kind of virtue and character we want with no additional cost. You're on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Kaplass Show podcast.
Speaker 1: That song is very close to your heart, isn't it right?
Speaker 7: Oh, it's just a tradition here, and I think people are always amused by your equips within the lines there.
Speaker 3: We know that you are not looking for a new romances, not.
Speaker 1: Even close of which I try to point out each time you play the song, I think successfully, So yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you got a maid man. Oh time, you know you get that powerball ticket, you open it up, you're reading it. It's not like you're running back down to place scratch or whatever those things.
Speaker 3: I like that analogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you, Chuck and Pueblo. You're on the Dan Kapla. Sh'll welcome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dan, I just came on about five minutes ago, but I wanted to.
Speaker 1: I don't know if.
Speaker 5: Anybody had stated this earlier, but I think one of the worst travesties I've ever seen regarding somebody's name being put on either a road or an event center or whatever, is the town of Shivington down the north of Lamar.
Speaker 4: They have a town.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe it. I was doing a lot of work down.
Speaker 5: There one time, and yeah, when you drive there and you go through a town and it's named after a.
Speaker 1: Leader that took you.
Speaker 5: Know, massacre, and it's right outside well it's literally, I think it's about seven or eight miles from the site of the massacre itself. And here you go through a town that's got the name Shivington on the side of it. It's just like going to, you know, well, well, let's name a town after Hitler.
Speaker 1: Well, and obviously the good people down there don't mean to honor something bad. It just has probably been named since he was in the area and all of that stuff. But yeah, no, it's yeah, oh yeah. You know, listen, I'm not one of those guys who wants to go stripping names because we find out some people did some bad things. But to me, that and then you got away the good versus the bad. But with that guy, no way. There are certain things, as Pete Boyles's and I were talking about earlier, and this is just my perspective on it. There's certain behavior that's just a disqualifier in my mind, no matter when you lived. And I think Shivington is one of those examples.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and Governor Evans at the time too, obviously. And one thing real quick plug for Publo is one thing that's really nice. And you know, we get the bad wrap down here sometimes. But some of our major streets are named after our Medal of Honor winners down there, charl Sitter and Jerry Murphy and even Joe Martinez, he's the Medal of Honor, but he's a war hero. Of our major thoroughfares are named after war heroes. And I'm trying to think I don't remember any major roads down here that are named after politicians.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: I can't think of any.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for that, Chuck, thank you. That's exactly what I'm talking about, is listen. It doesn't cost us anything, right, the cost of a sign to just take some of the meaningless street names and change them in Chuck's example medal of honor winners. But it can be other walks of life as well. Now, obviously we have to start at the top with the people who die for us, right, So you start at the top with military, police, fire, But then you go to these other categories that are so critical to our success as a society, and people heroic in different ways, and you start mixing those names in and then it just it's all positive. It sends a positive message about what we value, what we honor. And then kids, you know, if there's a chance to teach him what does that street name mean? Not that they're going to ask you, but it's a chance to tell him. It's all upside with virtually no cost. But I do think it has to be very systematic. I have to identify each of these categories. Start by coming up with somebody really noble and admirable in each of these categories, it will not be hard. I think the one category you skip is talk radio. I don't think anybody well other than Alan Berg, right, I mean, and that's where the whole conversation started earlier, is there should be a straight street named after Elan Berg if you're new to the area. He was a fiery talk show host. I remember as a young guy listening to him, and you know, he t took on, you know, some racist and this is oversimplifying the story, and he was killed for it. And there should be a street named after Alan Burke. It doesn't mean I agreed with him on every issue or every approach he took to every call, but there should be a street named after him. You know what's kind of cool.
Speaker 10: I don't know if you've ever been down Santa Fe, but what you were talking about naming streets after a military or stretches of streets Danny Deets.
Speaker 1: Yes, Danny Deets Memorial Highway correct, and you know what I would say. And I love seeing that, Kelly, and it puts such a smile on my face every time I drive down C four seventy and see now loose it's been changed to Kendrick Castillo and that that's just honoring the best of us. But I think, like in the Danny Deets example, I love it when you have that stretch of highway, but I think it needs to be a regular street name so that when people are traveling on a street or it shows up in your Google Maps or whatever, it shows up that way. You know what I mean. Don't you think there's more to a regular street name.
Speaker 10: Well, you could name the Broncos where the stadium is John Elway Highway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, on the highway. And you know that's the thing. If you're gonna name anything after politicians, and I don't think you should, certainly not living ones. But if you're gonna name anything after anybody, I twenty five should be the Owens Expressway or something. I mean, Bill Owens made that happen. I just don't think it should be politicians, even the ones that I like. But hey, thank you everybody for the great conversation. The Texters Pete Boyles love that stretch as well. I'm in trial again next week and so you'll have a Law and Order on the dan CAPLA show. Sheriff Steve Raims lighting it up he'll be here Monday and Tuesday. As soon as the trial ends, I'll get back in studio. Look forward to that with you. Have a wonderful weekend, just tremendous weather ahead on the front range and join the Sheriff Monday on the Dan Capla Show