Speaker 1: It's time for your weekly fis of wrestling nostalgia. When we look at wrestling's past eras from the Attitude era, this is a reality era.
Speaker 2: I'd like to think, then maybe this company will be better.
Speaker 3: After Vince McMahon's dead, But the.
Speaker 2: Fact is it's it's gonna get taken over by his idiotic daughter and his dupest son in law and the rest of his stupid family.
Speaker 1: Here's the dad here on the WWE podcast.
Speaker 2: Guys, welcome to the wrestling nostalgia portion of the WWE Podcast is Sunday, March twenty fourth, twenty nineteen. Want to welcome you to the show. I'm always excited about this show for the week. The wrestling nostalgia portion of the show, really, I don't know. I mean, I love reviewing Raw and SmackDown, especially now that we're rolling into WrestleMania season. There is no shortage of things to talk about there. But there's just something special about the wrestling nostalgia portion that I do. And maybe it's because of just that it's a nostalgia and maybe it's me living in the past a bit from the memories that brought me into wrestling, the memories that I go back to on YouTube, the memories that I go back to on the WWE network, And there are times when you know, I live for the glory days, and I think we're all at times guilty of that, for better or worse. I mean, when you go back to your roots and you go back to what brought you to the dance, it reminds you why you're a fan, and no memory serves me better for this purpose. And then the one I'm sharing with you guys today, And I can't say it's my favorite memory, because, as Jim Ross always says, it's like picking your favorite child. I mean, I don't know how you pick a favorite moment. This is one of my favorites, but just because it's the first one that I really have doesn't mean it's my favorite. But it is up there wherever that may be, in my top five list or whatever. And it brought me in, it captured captivated me as a at the time, a oh my gosh, let me do the math, a twelve year old fan, very naive to the product, very new, and not educated whatsoever on what professional wrestling was. And this is, of course, what I'm talking about, is the very first hell in a cell with Sean Michaels versus the Undertaker.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Walk you guys through a little bit of what I was thinking looking back then, and of course give you guys some audio from that time. The audio equality is not the best that I'm gonna pull you, guys, but you'll get a sense of reliving that moment if you haven't done it already. And many new fans out there, guys, I highly recommend that you go take listen or watch this match. It is just so perfectly done. The story is just superb, and you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching this match. It is just awesome, and not just because it's the first, but there are two pros in there doing what they do best, and that's telling a.
Speaker 3: Hell of a story.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna get to all of that, all of it, and but before I do, I just want to set the table, guys, if you've never listened to me before. This is the WWE Podcast, and I do a show too, sometimes three times a week, and as WrestleMania creeps closer, I may get more towards that three or more, maybe more shows a week because as the final shows close into WrestleMania, there will be, no doubt, no shortage of talking points. And I also notice that WWE on their homepage is I don't know if they're taking a poll on who should main event WrestleMania, whether it's Seth Rollins and brock Lesner or the triple threat for the Women's Raw Women's Championship. Now, I agree that there was only one main event, but WWE loves to press the narrative every year that you'll be in a main event or it's one of the main events. BS, there's one main event, you want to know what that main event is, the one that goes on last. Don't give me a main event. Main event is a singular term. Main event means there's one. Main event means you are the show. Main event means you are the lasting image as they show goes off the air a lah, you are the main event. It's never main events. That's not a plural. If you think it's a plural term, you have been you have been influenced by the corporate speak of WWE. It is not a plural term. So guys, thank you once again for joining me. You could find me everywhere that you have audio whether you have Android, whether you have Apple, it really doesn't matter. And I also encourage you to go ahead and give me if you think I deserve it, a five star review on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It's really helping me move up in the rankings. I run to thank all of you who have done so. It is one of the best and most free way to help out the show, and it's noticed and it's appreciated. Also, if you guys don't like ads, I know that you have some people, Well you've got a lot of ads on your show. Well that's what keeps the lights on in this show. That's what you know, really is the life bread of this show is are the sponsors. And I want to thank the sponsors. But if you don't want to hear them, you just want me, you just want my audio, and you don't want to hear all the extra stuff, then cool. You can head over to patreon dot com slash WWE podcast and you can get this show one hundred percent ad free and it's only a dollar a month to start a dollar and you can remove every single ad. Every show that I do is ad free on Patreon, So head over there and if you want that link and you don't want to write it down, just go to my Twitter feed at the WWE podcast you can click on that link right in the bio and head over to Patreon dot com and get yourself an ad free experience of the show that I know many of you probably want. I know ads are sometimes a bit of an inconvenience, but you got to remember it is what keeps this show rolling. Doing a podcast is not a free gig. Trust me, it's not a free deal. There are expenses that come with it, and it helps support those expenses. So anyway, guys, I'm going to take a very very small, small break, and you're not gonna You're gonna want to stick around. And the reason we want to stick around is because this is one of my favorite memories. It is something I'm very passionate about. This is this match, and I'm gonna give you us some audio from it, and of course my opinions and my thoughts and memories from twenty two years ago. Man twenty two years ago. So guys, stay with me on the other side, all of that coming your way.
Speaker 4: Go listen, download and subscribe to porn Talk Defeat the Porn Monster. Porntalk is hosted by Powerful Eric and can be found on iTunes, YouTube, and the website porntalk dot org. And the porn Habit Reclaim your Power. It's not just a show about breaking addictions. It's about breaking belief systems. We are bound by self imposed and societal chains. Break the chains. Get empowered now with porn Talk again. That's p O r n t a l K. Can be found today porntalk dot org, stream it on Apple podcast. Learn more about the host at the website powerful Eric dot com. And to be clear, it's not just about addiction recovery. It's about making a great life and being the best version of yourself. Learn more, stream today, share with your social networks as well. That's porn Talk. End the porn Habit. Reclaim your power with porn Talk, go listen, download and subscribe today. You can also follow on Instagram that Powerful Underscore Eric.
Speaker 2: Now, right, guys, welcome back, thank you for sticking with me here, and let's get to some audio from the nineteen ninety seven pay per view entitled bad Blood October fifth, nineteen ninety seven. And this was again something that I'll let you guys listen to real quick justice.
Speaker 3: Here I don't know. It was Michaels who edits to turn to begin with will they undertake your strikes? Michael, Michael does the Tombston.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, I'm gonna I'm gonna positive right here. And the reason I'm gonna positive is because there's a second part to this, and that is Caine's debut, which was absolutely amazing, perfectly done, awesome story. Paul Bear, who is was the manager of the Undertaker, had been saying for weeks and months that his younger brother Kane is still alive from a fire that had happened when they were children at a funeral home, and and the Undertaker didn't believe it. Paul Barre continue to insist that Caine was alive, and allah, we have Paul Bart producing Cain at this pay per view, costing the Undertaker the match. As you know, we all know. I don't think it's spoilers at this point, but Cain debuted man. Will he ever be the Undertaker?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But man, was he a monster in his own right. I don't think he should have been compared to the Undertaker. And the reason I say that is because there is nobody like the Undertaker. When Cain debuted, he was a complete monster, ripped the door off the cell, ends up tombstoning the Undertaker, and from there it produced a program for the Undertaker and Caine to face each other at WrestleMania A fourteen. It was just, oh my gosh. And when you look and when you guys heard that chair shot from Kine or from Undertaker to Sean Michaels, that was one of the most just flush brutal chair shots. Michaels is covered in blood. He cut himself perfectly. The story leading up to this because to me, that is so important. They had a series of matches before this that psychologically made sense to put these two in a cell. They had a one on one match, they had a I believe a lumberjack match at Ground Zero, the pay per view before this, in which it ended in a no contest and Michaels is able to escape. So their third match should be a hell in a cell. It wasn't just a a pay per view built into the schedule of the year that we now have, which and the mystique of the cell is all but gone. And it's not only gone because of the fact that it's just built into the schedule and whatever rivalries happen to be going on at that time, they're going to put them in the cell. It's it's that the stories don't warrant. They don't warrant the cell. These two, of course are Hall of famers, but the story was perfect. And then having the loss to the Undertaker or the loss to Shawn Michaels at the hands of Cain was just it was a just a moment. And I at that time, I was twelve years old.
Speaker 4: I told you this.
Speaker 2: I was twelve years old, and I'm thinking that this is the you know, I kind of know it's fake. I had a friend who introduced me to it, introduced me to wrestling. And I'll say his name because there's the odds of him listening. I mean, who cares. His name was Derek Adams and I went to a Catholic school with him, and he introduced me to wrestling. And when he told me about it, he yeah, how cool it was, and you know, he let me know that that's, you know, fake, But I was looking at it and I was like, are you sure this is fake? You know, like these guys were laying in each other and I was watching this rivalry between Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker, and they were so convincing. The story was so convincing. And I remember, and I was just watching the promo video of the workers who were brought in flown in from all over the country to build the cell and they had this really just dramatic music in the background and it's never been done before. It was just amazing, and it is just an example of what you can do with great storytelling. And yes, it didn't hurt that these two are all star Hall of Fame, first ballot Hall of Famers, I mean, of course, but it was just in the match itself, of course, where you had Undertaker dominate Shawn Michaels for the majority of the match, a couple of hope spots for Sean getting some offense, and you know, one of the standout moments for me is when Sean hit that sweet Chin music on Undertaker. An Undertaker sold it for about three seconds and then sat up and then Michael's just went ballistic. Didn't know what to do. It was good timing for a referee who had just taken a bump to escape the cage. Escapes the cage or excuse me, the cell escapes the cell and then ends up taking a bump about halfway up the cell, off of the cell into in the announced tables, and just so well done. Michael's bloodied. I mean, he looked like a million bucks. And I mean that as a compliment. I don't mean that facetiously sarcastically. Shawn Michaels caught himself just perfectly for that crimson mask, as they say, and it just added to the drama. And I missed the blood once in a while, I really do. I miss the blood. And I know that that's not going to create ratings in and of itself. I know that's a PG environment now, But sometimes blood is warranted, and in this case, it was absolutely warranted based on how hot their feud was. And you're in hell in a cell, so it made total sense. And it happened when undertaker catapulted Shawn Michael's into the outside of the cell when they eventually made it to the outside. And if you watch, you can actually see Shawn Michael's cutting himself as he's being catapulted into the cell. But you know, I just try to suspend my disbelief there and pretend that didn't happen. But it was Again, guys, I just can't say enough about this match. You know, was it a five star classic by today's standards? No? Not by today's standards. That we have now re kind of rejiggered or reconstructed our five star rating system. In other words, what we as fans think of as five star matches. Now you'd look back and go, really, Matt, this is a you think this is a five star match. Well, here's the difference between then and now. Now we look at five star matches as only what happens inside the ring. How many cool flips and flops somebody can do in near falls we can have versus back then, when things the pace was slower and the story was better. Do you wonder that last line the story was better. Stories and storytelling can make up for a lackluster physical portion.
Speaker 3: Of the match.
Speaker 2: And you may, you know, you may go back and again, you're probably those of you who haven't seen it gonna think that I'm crazy for thinking that's a five star match. But in my mind it was not, just because it's nostalgia, so I, you know, kind of artificially inflate my perception of what it was back then because it was just so cool. But no, it was because it was just one of those perfect stories. I mean, look how Undertaker and Sean did it WrestleMania twenty five that many believe save that WrestleMania that was a classic. They are just peanut butter and jelly when they get in there. Their styles compliment each other. They wouldn't need twenty nineteen, but they did back in two thousand and nine when they face each other at WrestleMania twenty five and then obviously in nineteen ninety seven collision that they had at Bad Blood. So again, you guys, I just I love it. I'd highly recommend it anybody to go take a look and it just trust me when I say this, though, you can't look at it and judge it by today's standards because the product has changed so much in twenty two years that your ideology and your idea of what a five star match is evolves, and what it is now may not be what it was back then, at least in your mind, but in real time, in that era, in that moment, it was one of the best matches I've ever seen, especially in Number one. Main reason is a story it told, which is all we want to do, right. I mean, that's what professional wrestling is. So highly recommend you guys check it out and I'll leave it at that. So I'm going to take one more quick break. But on the other side, guys, I know this is the wrestling, this Stallenge show, and it is by all means it is. But on the other side, I'm going to get to some comments about WrestleMania, some news coming out, injury reports, that kind of stuff. Just give you guys a little bit of an update. I know RAW is tomorrow night, so obviously we'll have a lot more talking points to discuss and then smack down live on Tuesday night. So on the other side, guys, I'm going to get to more current events. So stay right here, go.
Speaker 4: Listen, download and subscribe to porn Talk Defeat the Porn Monster. Porn Talk is hosted by Powerful Eric and could be found on iTunes, YouTube, and the website porntalk dot org and the porn Habit Reclaim Your Power. It's not just a show about breaking addictions, it's about breaking belief systems. We are bound by self imposed and societal chains. Break the chains. It empowered now with porn Talk again, that's p O r n t a l K. It can be found today porntalk dot org, stream it on Apple podcast. Learn more about the host at the website powerful Eric dot com. And to be clear, it's not just about addiction recovery. It's about making a great life and being the best version of yourself. Learn more, stream today, share it with your social networks as well. That's porn Talk and the porn Habit. Reclaim your power with porn Talk. Go listen, download and subscribe today. You can also follow on Instagram that Powerful underscore Eric.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, so listen. I just came across this awesome podcast. I am a podcast snob and this is one that you have to check out. It is the fastest growing cigar show in the nation. It's called cigar Talk. It has the best interviews, cigar reviews, and the best giveaways from cigar enthusiasts to the cigar affectionado. They have something for everyone, So go grab yourself a cigar and tune into cigar Talk. It's available on iTunes, Anchor, and Spotify, and you can also find them at cigar talkpodcast dot com. All right, welcome back, Thank you guys for sticking with me. Some little news I want to go over here is this whole controversy of Kurt Angle in the fans being outraged that Baron Corbin was his selection for his final opponent at WrestleMania thirty five. And I give you, guys my opinion on this in my show last time, and while I'm not thrilled with it, I don't think anybody's thrilled with it. And now, guys, this is of course, assuming that this is going to stick. WW could very well may switch his opponent out for as we all hope John Cena or another opponent of his choosing that is much more high profile. And I'm sorry, deserving of a WrestleMania spot with the guy this is Kurt freaking Angle, I mean the Olympic gold meda. I don't care if you think that his TNA days tarnished his WWE legacy. It hasn't, it is not, And Kurt Angle is deserving of more than Baron Corbyn. That's again, Baron Corbin's just not anywhere near Kurt Angle's level of accomplishment and having him at WrestleMania face Kurt Angle for in his final match just to me, while storyline wise, I will fully admit makes sense. It's not a WrestleMania makes sense moment. This is a this needs to be a feel good moment for Kurt, who needs just to tap somebody out and right off into the sunset and call it a career. I think that's what it needs to be. And I just hope it's not Baron Corbyn, but I'll watch if it's Baron Corbyn, you know, a watch. But I'm not outraged like most fans are. I'm not freaking out. I'm just kind of disappointed that it's like, oh, okay, it makes sense, but I'm sorry, Baron Corbyn is not big enough, you know, I'm not sorry. Corbyn is not a big name, end of subject, and it's not WrestleMania worthy. So that's that. And again that's one of the few times you guys will hear me say that it's not worth even the storyline to have a guy in there, but it's it is Kurt Angle's last match, so that kind of washes out that. But some late breaking news that Kurt Angle is going to be facing aj Styles on SmackDown Live this week. That's a channel changer. I mean, these two have a story history in TNA. There's no doubt that the ability of AJ styles far out weighs Kurt Angle at this point in his career. So it'll be interesting to see how these two mesh. I think that they will mesh. Just find the problem is Kurt Angle is, you know, two and a half steps slower than he was. His body has got a thousand miles on it. I said, that's not a whole lot, about one hundred thousand miles on it. And he is just he just father time has gotten to him and injuries and everything else. You know, he's taken probably you know, hundreds of thousands of pumps in his career. I mean, it's just called time to call it. But it'd be interesting and cool to see Kurt face AJ Styles and what I'm sure will end up being a some kind of non finish as Randy Orton may interject himself in in the match, and as you know, we probably won't get a finish that smells of a of a non finish. So that was just some late breaking news on the kurd Angle front. And you know some of the things I want to talk about it. You know, I talked quickly on the blood I know, I don't need blood, but sometimes man blood just adds to the story, even if it's by accident. Think about what happened with Brock Leathern at WrestleMania a couple of years ago. Think about what happened to Becky Lynch more recently, when she accidentally got her face busted open by Nia Jacks. It was an iconic moment. Becky has sold thousands of shirts by that accident.
Speaker 3: It just makes sense.
Speaker 2: So kind I'm just kind of scrolling through the news feed, and I was earlier too as well. You know, I hate to dwell on this Triple Threat match. I really do. I really really don't like to dwell on Triple Threat because, as I said, I've kind of come to terms with the Triple Threat, so as many hours as I've spent ranting on the fact that the triple thread is just stupid. It's stupid. I understand it, but they still think it's stupid, you know, I'm I don't want to say I'm bored by this. I just don't know what to think about it anymore. And not because I want one on one we all know that, but but because the storyline is just so convolutedly ridiculous, and again it's filled with arrests and non life threatening ongoing forever injuries by Becky Lynch and Ronda going quote rogue and calling out the business and trying to get attention by calling wrestling fake. Well, that gets you attention, but that's not good attention. Attention is good attention?
Speaker 3: No, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: That's what fools tell you. That's what fools tell you. So you know, if she's trying to create a buzz, will she created a buzz and also buried the rest of the roster for calling wrestling fake, you know, and WWE trying to create Becky version two point zero by having Charlotte go crazy and try to basically duplicate the success of Becky by having Charlotte turn into that dark character who just went that crazy on Ronda at Survivors Series. And it just was, I don't this whole build, And I know there's a couple of weeks ago, but why put the fans through this. I'm not following the logic. I know they have time to fill, but this could have been a very straightforward match. Straightforward is not always bad. Sometimes having too many people in the room with creative can create mayhem. You ever heard the analogy too many cooks in the kitchen. Well, I think that this is a victim of that. But I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm starting to get bored by it. And boy, has Becky Lynch cooled off? You?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 2: Listen to my last show, I gave you reasons why and reasons why I thought. I think and still believe that WWE is intentionally cooling off Becky Lynch. Yeah, intentionally, yes, I said intentionally. So again, guys, Tomorrow, Monday Night Raw should be very telling. We have a SmackDown Live that I'm looking forward to as well with Kurdan in aj styles. And we are creeping closer and closer to WrestleMania, which is fourteen days away. Two weeks until WrestleMania. And of course, for those of you who are baseball fans, Opening Day it seems really early this year. Typically it's not until the first week April March twenty eighth. Oh, you know, they're going to be playing in snow. Some teams are going to be playing in snow. It's just I don't know why it needs to start this starlier. I love baseball, but boy does it feel early this year, March madness is going on. There's just if you're a sports fan, everything's heating up. It is a great time to be a sports fan. Baseball, basketball, wrestling. I mean it is a it's a cool time to pay attention to sports. So well, guys, thank you for sticking with me here. I will be back later this week Wednesday night. You know why, I know exactly Wednesday night because I will be traveling and I'll have a hotel room myself, which means I can do it in a quiet space and I will be able to deliver a raw and SmackDown live review show with only at that time, what do I have? How many days to WrestleMania. We're going to count down here, folks, eleven days to wrestle Mania at that point, it's coming quick. But thank you guys for joining me. And don't go anywhere though, because I just have a couple last words from the sponsors of the show. I think you'll enjoy these quick mentions and then you can head out into the sunset. But thank you guys for listening, and please give me that five star rating and review if you think I deserve it. Wink wink. And I will be back later this week with Raw and SmackDown. Until then, take care, I'll talk to you next.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to the WWE podcast. Don't forget to subscribe on your favorite podcast app so you don't miss a show, or head to WWE podcast dot com and for all of these shows add free head over to Patreon dot com slash WWE podcast. Until then, We'll see you next time.