Speaker 1: Time now for Edmund O'Brien as.
Speaker 2: Johnny Dollar. Why in the world are you down here, Donard?
Speaker 3: You can't leave for.
Speaker 2: Forty five minutes, and I'm taking a quick refresher course in ancient history. You're sending me out to find a missing archaeologist, aren't you. Well. I want to be able to talk his language in case I find him alive.
Speaker 1: Edmund O'Brien in a transcribed Adventure of the Man with the Action Packed Expense account America's fabulous freelance insurance investigator.
Speaker 2: Yours truly, Johnny Dalla expense account submitted by special Investigator Johnny Dollar to Great Corinthian Life and Liability Company, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of my expenditures during my investigation of the disappearance of Bruce Lampet, the archaeologist who never should have left his tomb. Expense account Item one seven dollars and fifty cents railway and taxi fare from my Hertford apartment to Room three seventeen Bright Arms, New York City, a hotel who's front rooms had a depressing view of an eighty first Street mortuary.
Speaker 4: Miss Lambert, Yes, please come in mister Dollar.
Speaker 2: She was tall, without awkwardness, had the physique of an athlete, but still with softness, and a golden tan made her seem out of place, set against the snow heaped on the sill outside the windows.
Speaker 4: Thank you for coming, mister Dollar. I realized that mine was a rather unusual request to make of an insurance company.
Speaker 2: At all, Miss Lambert. The company doesn't want to lose a policy holder anymore than you want to lose a brother. But there are a lot of good private detectives in New York.
Speaker 4: I couldn't afford one. I had thought of notifying police, but I realized that Bruce's case would be just one of many. To their they're so impersonal. If there's a chance of any notoriety.
Speaker 2: Miss Lambert, if you mean that, for some reason, you'd rather the police didn't find him, you'd better tell me about it.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course I was going to. I don't see how it could make any difference. Please sit down.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'd better start way back at the beginning. Huh. That would be in Egypt, wouldn't it.
Speaker 4: Yes, in the desert, some hundred miles west of Thebes. My brother's an archaeologist and he'd uncovered some ruins. It was quite an important discovery, something about the Twelfth dynasty. I I don't know much about it. You were with him, yes, I didn't spend much time at the excavation side. I stayed in the village. But the reason the police might make it difficult is that Rose discovered some relics that he didn't declare to the authorities.
Speaker 2: There you mean he swiped them?
Speaker 4: And if you're in the habit of using extreme bluntness, I suppose you could put it that way. All right, I'm please, mister Dollard, this is quite unpleasant for m If Bruce had stolen all the relics, you wouldn't expect it to make any difference in how I felt about his disappearance, would you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm afraid I can't do anything for you. I've got to know these things that I'm gonna help him.
Speaker 4: Wait, I'm I'm sorry. I'll tell you everything I know.
Speaker 2: Alright. What were those relics that your brother didn't declare?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not sure how many there were. And there was some statuary in obsidian head of some old king. And then there was a scarab it was supposed to have been the official seal of this king.
Speaker 2: You know how valuable this stuff is. I'm afraid that it.
Speaker 4: Might be very valuable in some circles. That's what I was afraid of, that someone harmed Bruce or even But there's so many things to be afraid of 'em. He isn't strong, maybe even his mind. He was injured quite severely in a traffic accident in Alexandria just before we left Egypt. I've got to find out what could have happened to it?
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, we we can't find out this way. What does your brother look like? A light or dark?
Speaker 4: Here's a snap shot.
Speaker 2: M He's blonde.
Speaker 4: His hair is straight and was quite long when I last saw him.
Speaker 2: And that was four days ago.
Speaker 4: Yes, they are ship docked. I was arranging for my luggage. He just disappeared.
Speaker 2: What else? What's his bill? Slight? Medium, heavy, slight? I'd say, what about his clothes?
Speaker 4: Well, he was wearing a dark blue suit and a gray overcoat. The right sleeve of both would be empty because his right arm and shoulder and a cast.
Speaker 2: Uh huh a traffic accident.
Speaker 4: Yes, both were fractured. I wish I were able to be more help but I've told you everything I know. He just vanished.
Speaker 2: Did he Did he have any enemies that you know of?
Speaker 4: No, there's not even that. I can't let myself lose hope. But what can we do? How do you start looking for somebody with so little to go on?
Speaker 2: Before I answered the question, we started at the beginning again. The second run through was pretty much like the first, But disappearance from a foreign ship in the port of New York is not as easy as the telling of it. I left the troubled marsha checked into an eighth floor room in the Brighton Arms, where a phone call told me the north Fleet had already sailed. No hope of information there, so I headed for the US Customs office. Good afternoon, it's a Nixon yesh. My name is Dollar. I'm an insurance investigator. The girl outside said you could help me. I'd like to get some information on a passenger who arrived from Alexandria on the north Fleet. In north Fleet, Well, i'd have to know o the day of arrival and the name of the line. It was four days ago they'd made it. Uh, that would make it the twentieth It's a British ship in north Fleet. Uh. What was the passenger's name planted Bruce Lamber the uh clarony luggage through customer Bruce slamberd Yump witnessed the examination of one piece of luggage, suitcase, personal effects, one piece of statu where he purchased in Alexandria and no duty. Uh what address did he give you, Bruce Lambert?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: No street number? A hotel the Brighton arm right now, Well, don't count on that expense account item two thirty dollars, which would my id cod helped him press the cab drivers who worked the entrance to the pier where the north Fleet at docked. Checking these caves took the whole afternoon, and midway through it, I realized I wasn't the only one interested in that particular hackstand. I wasn't sure at what moment I had actually noticed him. He was doing a very bad job of hiding behind a journal American on the other side of the street. All I could see was the lower half of an overcoat, the same of some razor sharp trousers with some pointed shoes. But I began to feel his eyes looking at me as I went on with my questioning that finally paid off through the mouth of driver number seven eighty two.
Speaker 6: You know, you meet all canes in this business. Some you forget and some others you remember.
Speaker 2: Now, well, do you remember a guy with his arm and shoulder in a cast?
Speaker 6: And something you learn in this business that's to read people's faces. You get to know a deadbeat before he gets a chance to dead beat you, and you catch on if the guy is scared of something.
Speaker 2: Well, if he was afraid of something, it's not me. He's been reported missing by his sister. I've been hired to find him. How much is ten bucks by? You know?
Speaker 6: Maybe he don't want to be fouled, Is that what you think? Sure he paid me more to climb up than you often.
Speaker 2: I've got more. What are you going to do with him? I want to talk to him. I want to find out if he's all right. If he wants to stay lost, that's his business, not mine. I was twenty five.
Speaker 6: Get in, my boy, get very far from here.
Speaker 2: Our destination turned out to be an old red brick hotel near very ninth Street between tenth and eleventh Avenue, and it occurred to me that as an archaeologist, Lambert was running through to form. He even used some ruins to hold up in. One five dollar bill brought the information from the room clerk that Lambert was out of his room, and another bought a pass key that let me in. The first thing to catch my eye when I switched down the light was a black piece of statuary shining dully on a chipped bureau, A crowned head with exaggerated features, sculptured and obsidian. I posed myself this riddle. If it was so valuable, why didn't Lambert take better care of it? But before I had a chance to try for the answer, a foot nudged The door opened behind me. As might be expected, it was wearing a pointed shoe, and was followed into the room by a slight yellow ivory skinned band who rather resembled the black statue. I must thank you for leaving us to the hiding pace. Where is he? All that depends on who he's hiding from. It looks like it's you. Perhaps it is that you do not know where he is. Yeah, perhaps I followed your taxi after you talked with those drivers. That was very smart. Where did you think I expected you to go? What's your interest in? Lambert?
Speaker 5: You were employed by the girl to find him. How much does.
Speaker 2: She pay you? I never talk money with a stranger.
Speaker 5: And perhaps we will not be strangers for long. The point of importance is that you have not yet found him. Mister Drummond will pay you two thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: To do so. Mister Drummond is generous, But what makes you so sure. I haven't found Lambert because he is not here, but that only means he's someplace else.
Speaker 5: Please, I have no wish for violence.
Speaker 2: And put that thing away. And the first place, gunfire, even in this neighborhood, is gonna bring the law. The second place, it's a lady's gun, one of those handbag jobs you know you ought to be ashamed of yourself for carrying.
Speaker 5: Please, I have no wish to use it, and get.
Speaker 2: Rid of it. I hate little men who try to play bully. There was more than that behind my fist. I figured I could learn to know him better if he was quietly stretched out on the floor. I was half right. An Egyptian passport told me that his name was Ammon Hixas, hometown Alexandria. There was nothing else I could turn Hixsas over to the police. On an assault charge. Or I could wait until he woke up and try knocking some information out of him. But I didn't do either. I left him there in the lobby. I gave a message to the room clerk for Lambert, telling him to stay out of his room when he came back, and to phone me at the bright Uns. Who is it, Dollar?
Speaker 4: Oh just a second, he is there? Any news? Did you learn anything, mister Dollar? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I made some progress. I met Ammon Hixs. You told me a brother didn't have any enemies. That little Egyptian is out looking for him with a gun. Why'd you lie to me?
Speaker 4: I have no right to ask you to believe me now.
Speaker 2: That's so true, But I wish you would.
Speaker 4: Please come here and sit down.
Speaker 2: Oh no, thanks, You sit there, and I'll stand here. I I think I'll be less inclined to believe you from here.
Speaker 4: That's not fair. I know I wasn't fair with you either.
Speaker 2: I won't to be.
Speaker 4: But there are some things I just can't tell you. Why not I can't tell you that?
Speaker 2: I oh nuts. Women like you make everything tougher than it should be. You demand all, but you give nothing. You ask to be trusted and you won't trust. You make yourselves look soft. When you're as hot as steel. You've got warmth, but you you only turn it on when you're get something out of it. You're wrong.
Speaker 4: I was trying to help him or us. I had to lie.
Speaker 2: Look, I started this thing wanting to help you. Uh, there was something personal about it. But you wanted me to do things your way and not mind. Well we just stopped doing that alone.
Speaker 5: Just go away, go back to heart, but forget you wherever here.
Speaker 2: I wish I could. And I'm working for an insurance company looking for a missing policyholder. Well, I'll be up in my room if you decide to help me find it.
Speaker 7: Mm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is this mister Dollar? That's right?
Speaker 3: This is Bruce Lambert. I got your message to call or are you now? Not so fast? There were two attempts on my life while I was on my way here from Alexandria. I'm not anxious to tell anybody where I am. How did you get into this?
Speaker 2: Marsha called your insurance company when you took a run out. They hired me. Good for Marcia? Is she all right? Well that depends on your point of view. I suppose she's being the helpful sister to you, But for me, she's done nothing but act mysterious. I don't get it. You won't tell the truth about you. I hope you do better.
Speaker 3: She told you she was my sister.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she did. Why shouldn't she.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't see why she do that.
Speaker 2: She isn't your sister.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: I don't understand it. She's my fiance. I don't understand it at all. Where is she? I better talk to her.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea, Room three seventeen, brighton arms. I'll be there with her, waiting for you, which, in a way was how it worked out, except that I waited for him in the corridor outside her room. I left Marsha where I found it. She was on the bathroom floor, where she died from wounds inflicted by the proverbial blunt instrument, and where her eyes had died with her.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, we will return to the second act of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: But first.
Speaker 1: And now, with our star Edmond O'Brien, we returned to the second act of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 2: Ruse lamba, Yeah, it's alright. I'm Dollar didn't take you on and get here. Where's your phone from? Just around the corner bar? Why do you wask where's Marsha? Marsha's dead. I don't believe you. I wanna go in there. She isn't dead. Let me in there. Come on, use your head when ye there's nothing? Oh you're on. I'm sorry. Look, you don't wanna go in there. Believe me, you don't. There's nothing you can do for her. Sh she can't be dead. She can't be Come on, where? Wh wh why? I want you to come up to my room with me. You've gotta do two things. Hurst give me every reason you can think of why this should have happened. And then before the police get here, you had better start rehearsing the story of your own. Now I'm at the first hole in marsha stories that she wasn't in thieves while you were working on your ruins. That's right. I didn't even know her.
Speaker 8: Then I met her in the hospital in Alexandria after my accident.
Speaker 2: I was there for two months. You see. She was my nurse. But she did know about the relics, that statue and the scarab that I haven't seen. Oh yes, yes, here it is this is the scarab.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, she knew we talked about my little deceit.
Speaker 2: Well, how little is it really? You talk about two attempts on your life. Now we have actual murder. You'd better let me have that scab. Oh yes, yes, of course. But surely you don't think the relics are at the bottom of this. They're rare, but not valuable enough for this unless someone knows more about them than I do. I doubt that I have made a pharaoh study of a twelfth dynasty and king Amendem at the third it's a carving his head. What do you know about a man named Ammon Hixas and another whose last name is Drummond.
Speaker 3: Hixos Ammon Hixas.
Speaker 2: You know him? Does it ring any canna of a bell?
Speaker 8: No, I I I'm afraid not.
Speaker 2: Drummond means nothing. M alright, let's try the two attempts on your life? What about then?
Speaker 8: Well, h they happened on the nights of the seventeenth and the eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Both of them could have been.
Speaker 8: Accidental, except that, well, the same small man stood near me both times.
Speaker 2: It would be too much for me to hope you you could describe him, I said, well if he was dark. Well, both times I was on the promenade deck and something heavy was thrown or pushed from the deck above. I reported the second one, and the ship's officer apologized for the carelessness. Which you thought enough of it to disappear? Oh, well, I certainly did instead of going to the police. Yes, oh, I suppose it was wrong, but you must understand I was desperate. Well, we'd better go down to the third floor. I I hope the police think more of your story than I do. In twenty minutes, Room three seventeen really looked like a murder scene. The place was swarming with New York's finest white with fingerprint powder, and blinding with flash flows. The lieutenant to whom I made my statement looked as if he thought I was as crazy as I thought everybody else in the mess was. But then he changed his mind. Holla, hey, where is that insurance stake? Uh? Here, I am in the bathroom. Oh there you are all?
Speaker 9: Yeah, find as soon as I noticed something, what'd you say that name was? I'm in uh uh Hixes? Yeah, Well, I guess there aren't too many ways to spill that one, so this must be it. Pill box. Let me see that prescription from Alexandria.
Speaker 2: Doctor, I'm in Hixes.
Speaker 9: We'll put a trace around that phone number you took off the first thing in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, are you gonna take Lambert in for questioning?
Speaker 9: I guess we'd better Routie.
Speaker 2: He's clear as far as I can see. We'll do something that me. Will it? Have your doctors run a test of that plastic cast of his and call me in my room. Huh A test for what I'll just look it over. It would make a handy blunt instrument, if nothing else. Expensive gun item three seven fifty A few late cocktails, a rare steak, and coffee in the Brighton Arms dining room, after which I picked up an armful of extra editions so I could catch up on what I'd been doing. I self operated my way to the eighth floor and started toward my room. I was looking forward to a hot shower, but I didn't get it. I was still looking forward put into a familiar gun muzzle. This is the gun, ayes, mister Della, May I introduce myself, Sir Garrett Drummond, at your service. Our meeting has been postponed too long. Well there's a difference of opinion on that you will please open your door? How can I refuse? Who's that pine sized invitation you're still carrying after you, sir? And I need to remind you that my friend here is prepared for any rash move up on your part. Look, I'm tired. I don't have a rash move left in me. Close the door, emont. I suggest that you sit there, mister Dollery in that unsightly straight backed chair. Thanks a lot. And now, sir, I shall plunge right to the point. There is that scoundrel Bruce Lambert. Well, I think I just decided that I don't know. We we have no wish for violent you always say that with a gun in your hand. Well, let's get started. You make your pitch, I'll make my refusal, and we'll see where we go from there. I have already met what I consider to be a generous offer for so unimportant a bit of information as merely the whereabouts of Lambert two thousand dollars. But if it will expedite matters, I am prepared to expand my offer by another thousand. I'm the sponsor, you bid the greedier, I guess what makes Lambert so important to the problem which is entirely out of your province? My boy, how much do you know of Egyptian legend? Sir?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, more than a dollar's worth. Pity the fascinating subject, well, Sir, Bruce. Lambert has in his possession a certain object of great importance, both culturally and economically. Certain landowners in Egypt hold it in such high esteem, Sir, that as a reward for its return to them, they would throw open to exploitation untapped oil fields, the richness of which would shake the very foundations of world economy? Are they shaky enough as it is? My boy? Think what it would mean to a civilization fast approaching the depletion of its petroleum sources. New horizon, Sir, A brave new world. Lambert owes to us all relinquishment of this object so that it may serve humanity. You're right, and it may be easier than you think. A splendid sir. Where is he? Which relic? Is it? The black statue your playmate could have picked up for free? It is king I might have met scareb that I would discuss with Lambert. I demand to know where he is. Why waste time on him. I've got the scarab. I find that most difficult to believe, mister Dollar. Well, no, no, no, keep your hands away from your buckets, Ammon will say to the trouble, Ammon.
Speaker 5: These remains too, mister Dollar.
Speaker 2: My wish is called peaceful, sure right coat pocket, he speaks truly, Garret here he's the matter, Garret. You don't have that brave New world look anymore. Ah, I should be the first to admit so that the lie has been put to the tail I created upon this useless geekll but mister Dollar, now, but we are forced to fall back upon the truth. I remind you that it sometimes hurts. Your position has not. But the desk knows. I'm up here, answered mister Dollar. But be cautious. Unfortunately, I do not share Ramon's a version to violence.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Dollar, that's right, this is Lieutenant Black. Say was that a hunch you had about that cast of Lambert's?
Speaker 2: Why do you ask all? If it was? It was a good one.
Speaker 9: The doctors won't let us take it off, but we cut into it. It was put on in three layers. The middle one was wrapped narcotics. Yeah, don't be so modest dollar, there must be three hundred thousand bucks worth.
Speaker 3: Now, sometimes it's a whole month before we get that much.
Speaker 9: Looks like the work of your friend, doctor Ramon Hixsas. Yeah, I'll wake up dollar. I want to check Lambert's.
Speaker 2: Statement with yours.
Speaker 9: I'll have you there in ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, Okay. I commend you, sir upon your show of intelligence. Who was it the police they're looking for, Lambert? Oh, and what did they give as their reason? Narcotics? The story of a man bound from America who cracked up in a car, and while he was unconscious of being patched, said narcotics were put in his cast by a doctor Ammon Hixas, probably assisted by a nurse named Marsha. But there's no proof, Ammon, We who waste no time on evasion. Yes, we use the boy a courageous scheme, But for that silly goose of a girl, she was the true conspirator and the traitor as well. She having a fall in love with the guy. Are the romantic Atlantic crossing? An empty proposal of marriage suddenly becomes more important than actual coin of the realm. But enough of that, the police are looking for him and aunt teeth, So am I very is he? I don't know, Ammon, call his hotel in thirty ninth Street. No wait, my friend, the police must be watching that, are they, mister Dollan, Well, that's where his personal things are. If I were the police, I'd be watching. Yes, we seem to find ourselves in such a position that we must at least pretend to see ee two eyes. Uh, very well, we shall wait here. The chips are down, so to speech, Ammon, years gonna take the pistol into the bathroom medial with the door slightly ajar, you shall have a splendid command of the arena as it were years.
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 2: And remember the stakes are high.
Speaker 5: Yes, get it, and I will remember.
Speaker 2: No, mister Diller, Which seemed that little roommains but to waiting. The waiting was more than the Drummond settled himself on the bed and facing the door, his pudgy hands folded over his bulging waist. I was still in the desk chair, facing him as usual. The police were late. Twenty minutes passed before we heard the knock on the door. You guess, mister Doller. Come, we shall go to the door together. Now keep your back to me. It's your party, Drummond, come in, Lambert got Lambert.
Speaker 9: The police haven't shooting, I haven't listen down.
Speaker 2: Drummond's wound wasn't half as excruciating as his call for help. The doctor's report that his shoulder will be in a cast that as soon as the State of New York can gather a jury, he will stand trial on the charge of first degree murder. The body of Amen Hicks's was taken to the mall. As an insurance company, you are probably less interested in that than in the fate of your policy holder, Bruce Lambert. That's explained an expense account item for two hundred and eighty dollars hospital bill paid in advance in view of the possibility that there may be others interested in that three hundred thousand dollar cash of narcotics. He has to carry around with him until his arm is okay. I thought it would be safer to keep him under wraps. Oh, by the way, while he was lying there helpless, I sold him a policy for you covering the scab and that carved head. Expense account total four hundred and fifty six dollars and ninety cents. Yours truly Johnny Dolla.
Speaker 1: Yours Truly Johnny Dollar stars Edmund O'Brien in the title role and is written by Paul Dudley and Gildawd with music by Leith Stevens. Edmund O'Brien can currently be seen starring in Harry M. Popkins United Artists Production DA. Featured in our cast were Virginia Gregg, Janevello, Ed Begley, John Dayner and Pat mcgeon. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is produced and directed by Hime del Vai. Join us again next week when Edmund O'Brien returns in another adventure of.
Speaker 2: Yours Truly Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 1: Fifty four thousand dollars is burning a little old hole in that little old jackpot of singing again this week, just waiting for somebody to light up the right answer and drop the cash and prizes in his lap or her lap. Dan Seymour gives the gals the same chance he gives the fellas when he starts putting in those calls from coast to coast. So be listing this Saturday when sing it again and the fifty four thousand dollars phantom boys come your way. On most of these same CBS station. This program was transcribed in Hollywood, Roy Rowan speaking, this is CBS where yours truly. Johnny Dollar meets Adventure every Friday night the Columbia Broadcasting System