Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of October twenty first, we are continuing with Lost, Season one, episode sixteen Outlaws could be a bad cake. But no, no, it's about Sawyer. Oh my goodness, is this a sad episode?
Speaker 2: It really is?
Speaker 1: It really is. I mean, we've been encouraged to see Sawyer is somewhat of a figure of fun except for the last flashback episode he was in. But man, yeah, bummer of a backstory, although it does bring up some interesting things, does it not so well? First, in the first flashback, we actually see the thing we had previously heard about of his father killing his mother and then himself, and we find that little Sawyer was under the bed watching it all yikes. And then we see him again in the flashbacks in Australia at a bar. Who should happen to be at that bar? Yes, he said, fella, it's Christian Shepherd, father of Jack, father of Jack talking about his son and what a great guy his son is, and how much he admires his son, and how he could just get up right now and go call his son and tell him that. But he's not gonna bum right to the end is question show. But he gives he, you know, very nicely, gives Sawyer the advice that he should go do that thing that he's reluctant to do, which in this case is killing kill Perry.
Speaker 2: Kill a guy because he thinks it's the bad Sawyer.
Speaker 1: But do you not at least ask questions first? Do you not at least say the say the name before you shoot him? Yeah?
Speaker 2: He really he really got scammed by this guy who he.
Speaker 1: Did not trust at all, so Robert Patrick there for a brief appearance as a villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, he knew he couldn't stand that guy as soon as he walked in, as soon as he saw him. So but why he immediately took his word for it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Jack's dad talked him into it.
Speaker 2: But before that he believed the other guy enough to get off to us Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, that's true. Oh man, yes, stupid, Yeah that was you know, things just get worse and worse for Sawyer. And then after that he crashed on an island, which actually he's probably probably that's one of the best periods of his life has been just sitting under a tarp. I know, he's and boarding things and making you know, people hate him. But he can't even have that now because a bore that is maybe symbolic of something is harassing him, taking his tart, messing up his stuff, knocking him into the mud.
Speaker 3: Yes, and just out of spite.
Speaker 1: Life is a bore, is Sawyer's experience. But he's even in his dreams, poor Sawyer. And Kate is going to help him catch this boar and get justice. But they pause for a while to play the cheapest bit of plot development possible. We want to get to these people's backstories a little faster than we have. I know, they could sit around and play I never seriously, Now, we know that Kate and Sawyer both killed a man.
Speaker 3: But we already basically knew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we didn't know Sawyers, but we were seeing that in the flashback anyway. Yeah, and we knew Kate did, right, She's already admitted to that, So yeah, there was no need. But I guess now they each know.
Speaker 1: Do they We really think they would sit around doing never mind? Yeah, it's Mystery Island. Anything can happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know, in terms of parenting lessons, there's a very good parenting lesson in this, which is to tell your kids you love them. You know, at least Sawyer got that from his mom before she was shot, But I don't think Jack ever got that from either parent. If Christian had picked up that phone and said what he was going to say, Jack probably wouldn't be lost on Mystery Island.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it makes a big difference. The actions that you take can put your children on bad paths. Yes, shooting your family and not telling your kid, Hey, you're a good man. I respect that. Even though you know, stuck a knife in my back. I still I respect that I deserve that knife.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did, he did.
Speaker 1: He absolutely did so. And the fact that he at least, when talking to a stranger in a bar, can say that he thinks that Jack did the right thing. But walk over to the phone man, go god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know. Otherwise you end up in a coffin on an island and your son is who knows what the going.
Speaker 2: On, right, your son is forced to be the island papa to this group weirdos in this.
Speaker 1: Very would have been so much easier. I mean, I don't know what the timeline is. If Jack was in US. Was Jack going to Australia to get his dead dad or was he going to get his dad who was drunk and having problems. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I think it was that he was going to get him and before he arrived the dad died, right, yes, because the mom was like, you have to go there and get him. Yeah, And then by the time he got there, he kind of missed missed his chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, it's just the road not taken so much better. You would probably still be alive. Jack would not be on an island. At the very least, you would have gotten a nice burial and you know, a modest service I'm sure which all the nurses came in went yes, in the ground anyway, So this was this was fraught. Yeah, managed to make us feel sorry for Sawyer. Yes, no small deed, right. And the whispering in the uh Sawyer has now heard. The whispering in the jungle that Saya had pretty much convinced himself was just in his head, right, So now he's like a corn right, I wanted to be crazy. Now it's real. It was whispering to him the same thing that uh, the guy said when he was dying. It'll come back around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is pretty pretty ominous.
Speaker 1: It's pretty it's pretty around now. I mean yeah, I think it's come around already. I don't think he even needed the bore. I think he pretty she was suffering. Yeah, oh well.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that was very like you know, he read the script before he got shot to have that line at the ready.
Speaker 1: You know, lost Apedia says that he also says, you're going to pay. I think I was going to pay something about paying, and that was going to be the whispered line, but they changed it. So maybe they went back in in post and had him say that, Okay, he's dying. You could just put a few phrases in. It's not like his lips are going to be moving around, right, And.
Speaker 2: Let's also make sure it's pouring buckets of rain at the same time, so that we can draw some parallels between Australia and the mystery island.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it could. It could be the shrimp stand on the island for a Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we also got to meet a little baby pig, a baby boar.
Speaker 1: Yes, a baby boar, and Sawyer in the and kills zero bores. That's right, you can't do it this time. He's come on, Ay, he's not sure it's the right boar. What if he kills the wrong boar?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is your name?
Speaker 4: Sawyer?
Speaker 2: I mean, no one felt any compunction about eating any of the previous boars. But this one, why this one gets a special pass? I do not know.
Speaker 1: Well, you know he's got issues, possibly the bar as well, but definitely Sawyer. Sure boris like there's a guy chasing me through a jungle trying to kill me and everybody else. All my relatives are gone, the babies.
Speaker 3: It's just this baby. Don't hurt my baby. He didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 1: He was in a box on that plane being shipped back to us, to the US, to a boor collector, and I want him on this island. People are hunting me. Oh well, yeah.
Speaker 4: My goodness.
Speaker 2: Did get a glimpse of Walt playing with playing with Vincent.
Speaker 1: Yes, playing with Brian's dog.
Speaker 2: Yes, Michael working on a raft apparently, And the Seeds have.
Speaker 3: Recruited at least one other person.
Speaker 2: That was Scott slash Steve Steve slash Scott whichever one you.
Speaker 1: Yep. I did find those guys in IMDb, but they were uncredited. So but actually it is on some somebody's IMDb okay, and also appropos to our discussion of only murders in the building. Griffin Dunn is now appropriately credited. He's no longer the nameless mystery person even on that episode.
Speaker 2: Ah, so they just waited until.
Speaker 1: The fix was in to not put it in early. I don't know about.
Speaker 2: This, do we know?
Speaker 1: Do we know that IMDb gets paid off by producers to wait?
Speaker 4: I guess not.
Speaker 1: Maybe they don't get the info.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just wink wink.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So there's a lot of people wandering around in the jungle, yeah this episode, which seems like a bad idea. They need to have like trackers or something. Well, there's some way to identify themselves as friendlies before they come upon one another. Now that there are guns, well, Jack has all the guns again theoretically, but does he though, yeah, I know who knows who else may have done when yes, I wouldn't not.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't feel too confident about that. So Charlie buried Ethan, and they did really focus on his dead hand, Yes they did.
Speaker 1: What was that.
Speaker 2: I mean, was that just supposed to be like, yes, he's really dead, or like I was waiting for that hand to move. I was definitely thinking it was going to be grabbing Charlie by the neck at any moment, but apparently No.
Speaker 1: It was weird because I couldn't remember who it was they were burying, because they buried the other guys and it's who else died I couldn't remember. And then he starts talking to somebody else about it, so or somebody Yeah, anyway, he mentions it right, I felt like he had to bury him because he killed him. Nobody else feels like they have to bury him. When are they just going to leave the rotten corpse sitting yeah, out in the open for the animals to eat. What was the plan here? Why is Charlie the only one who thinks, oh, put this guy in some dirt? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have thought they all would have been real happy to not have to look at that guy, you know, just to feel like he's six feet under you know.
Speaker 1: Definitely, But maybe this has to happen because he's going to come back or something like that. I can't remember. I'm not saying this is a spoiler. I honestly can't remember. Okay, but anything seems possible. So, you know, he buries the guy and then he goes and takes a walk with the girl.
Speaker 2: He does have a brief detour to get some therapy from said.
Speaker 1: That's right, Hey, you know, killing somebody can kind of mess you up. Were you aware?
Speaker 3: Just you're not alone? He really isn't.
Speaker 2: I mean by these what sixteen episodes in and a lot of people have killed a lot of other people.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think they have a support group, you know, sit around the fire and talk about there are various murders, like only murderers on the island. Yeah, oh man, this is true. If you were just just like a regular civilian who had never done anything interesting in your life, you might be saying, maybe we could find another camp. Although you know, I think you do probably want to stay by the murderers and on their good side.
Speaker 4: Should somebody, yes, definitely figure out who they are and.
Speaker 1: Of all the murderers, which ones do I want to align myself with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, as they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep, yep. No Boon in this episode, but only his footsteps, because I think Case said that Swayer was following Boone for a while, and Lock also not a good day for him.
Speaker 2: Locke wanders in at a tell a parable at an opportune time and serve up some coffee.
Speaker 3: That he found.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. That's you know, I guess, biggers, campy choosers. You take whatever's been dropped out of an airplane and then has been sitting there for who knows how heat on by how many animals.
Speaker 3: A month I believe is how long.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter how you you know, it's it's still good.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're gonna put it in some boiling hot water, so that's right.
Speaker 3: It'll yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: People watching this who are super super specific about their coffee or just reeling. Yeah, you must start it in an airtised container in a climate controlled area. Shouldn't be in the sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gonna be awful.
Speaker 1: You know, there's not a Starbucks on the island, so they gotta do what they gotta do.
Speaker 2: No, just just the hair salon and.
Speaker 1: The dog rumor, you know, the day spot might have a coffee bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll probably get yourself a lot there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Claire's been going there too. There's her hair is looking yes, looking good. Yes, that's not that's not island care. That's not a beach com that's that's uh.
Speaker 3: That's not sleeping in a cave hair.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. Oh well, you know what, we don't really want to see them as scraggly as they would be.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, they would be disgusting.
Speaker 1: It really would. We will, we will take our little allowances for you know, entertaining TV shows. We don't want to be We don't want to be worried about them. For those things. We want to be worried about them, for the many, many ways they've screwed up their lives leading to this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that has brought them to this to this point, Oh dear. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh there's that moment at the end where Sawyer has an opportunity to say, hey, I met your dad in a bar. Oh yes, and he doesn't, although would Jack believe him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna file that away for another.
Speaker 1: I recognized by that little catchphrase you used that the man I met in the bar was your father and he said what a good guy he thought you were.
Speaker 2: And he was Yeah, there's no way Sawyer's given that to Jack.
Speaker 1: And also even if you had, Jack would have said, yeah, right right, sure you did, Bunny, What are you trying to get over on me now?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So it wouldn't have worked, but just for a second, looks like you thought about it. And my husband had pointed out that the year that this show was on is the year that the Red Sox did in fact go to the World Series, so kind of messed up their catchphrase. But yeah, I think they write in something about it later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love that they were already we don't know what time of year.
Speaker 1: This was like, it's like a good place with the Jaguars being the running joke, and then oh yeah he did. They did go to the super Bowl, So you gotta watch it sports, use the sports and al than Jez, you'll never know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we'll get you.
Speaker 1: So next Tuesday we will continue on with season one, episode seventeen of Lost dot dot dot in Translation. So who do you guess are gonna have the flashback system?
Speaker 2: Could it be Sun or Gin? Yes?
Speaker 1: I believe it is a Gin flashback episode. All right, and uh an allusion to one of my favorite movies, Lost in Translation.
Speaker 3: It is a good one.
Speaker 1: Yes, we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the building. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop, slash mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.