Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the audio broadcast ministry of Pastor Rick Warren. Today we begin a series called forty Days in the Word. In these messages, Pastor Rick shares practical Bible study tools that will reignite your passion for God's Word and revolutionize your life as you grow closer to Jesus. First, we're excited to let you know that very generous friends of Daily Hope have stepped forward with a special fifty thousand dollars matching grant that means any gift you give to help Daily Hope share God's Word with people everywhere will be double. So contact us right away, go to Pastorick dot com or text the Word Daily to eight hundred, six hundred, five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part one of a message called Building My Life on the Bible.
Speaker 2: Jesus ended the Sermon on the Mound, the most famous sermon in the Bible, by telling a story, and he says this, There was two guys who went out and they both built homes, and they built them on different foundations. One guy went out and built his house on solid rock on that foundation, and the other guy went out and he built his house on sand. His foundation was sand. He said, Then unexpected rogue winds came, the trials in the storms of life, and a tsunami hit those homes, and the winds came, and the floods rose, and the winds beat against it, and the rains came down, and the house that was built on the shifting foundation of sand collapsed. But the house that was built on solid rock was able to withstand the storms of life, Jesus says in this After saying this story, he says this in Matthew seven thirty four twenty four. Everyone who hears these words of mine, that's the word of God, that's the Bible. Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice, and we're going to teach you how to do that, is like that wise man who built his house on the rock. So this weekend, to start us off, before we get into forty days, I want us to look at how do you do that? How do you build your life on the Bible so that you're building on solid rock, so that when the storms and trials and difficulties of your life come inevitably, that you'll be able to handle it. If you are not built on solid rock, on the foundation of something that doesn't shift, you're gonna crumble. You can't build your life on the opinions of others. You can't build your life on popular opinion. You can't build your life on culture. You must build on unchanging truth. If you have a Bible, I want you to open to James chapter one, the Book of James.
Speaker 3: Chapter one.
Speaker 2: We're going to look at verses nineteen down to verse twenty five, and I want to as we prepare for forty days in the world, to look at this subject on how do I build my life on the Bible. The answer to that is to look at the way that God wired you and shaped you.
Speaker 3: God gave you.
Speaker 2: Five senses here smell, see, taste, and touch everything you know. Everything you experience in life comes through one of those five senses. That's how you encounter life, and God wants you to learn to encounter the Bible with every one of your senses.
Speaker 3: We're going to look at this today.
Speaker 2: And these are all found in James chapter one, verses nineteen to twenty five.
Speaker 3: Now, if you're.
Speaker 2: Taking notes, the first way that I build my life on the Bible is this, I receive it with my ears.
Speaker 3: I receive it with my ears.
Speaker 2: We're talking about hearing the Bible, hearing the word of God, hearing God speak to you. The Bible tells us in Romans ten seventeen. Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message.
Speaker 3: Is heard through the Word of Christ.
Speaker 2: Every time you hear your pastor teach a message, you hear a Bible teacher, you hear a study on the radio. When you're hearing the word, your faith is being built. You're doing this first one right now. You're listening to the Word of God being taught, and that builds your faith. Faith comes by hearing the message, and the message comes through the Word of Christ. Now let's look and see what James says about this. James, Chapter one, verse nineteen. Everyone should be quick to listen. Circle that quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and evil that is so prevalent, and humbly accept. Circle that accept the word planted in you, which can save you. It is the word of God that saves us. If you don't hear the good news. You can't be saved. Now, he says, be quick to listen. That's using my ears, and he says accept the word. So in this passage, it's teaching us that I must receive it with my ears. Now, this interesting word, accept the word. The word in Greek decam i literally is a hospitality term. It means to welcome a stranger. It means to welcome the word. We welcome you, Lord, we welcome your word. Come on in. I'm wide open. It is an attitude of acceptance. And if you're going to get the Bible in your life, you've got to start with.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm wide open.
Speaker 2: I got an attitude of acceptance. I welcome the word. I accept the word planted in me. Now, it says planet.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: Often through the Bible, the scripture is compared to a seed, and the seed is the Word of God, and the soil is our hearts. The parable of the soler that Jesus told teaches this story, and he says that receiving the word is actually the seed being planted in your life.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm a gardener.
Speaker 2: In fact, you could call me a farmer, because I garden massive scale. And what I do is I've learned that you can take the exact same seed and plant it in three different locations, and in one you're going to get giant tomatoes, In another you're going to get little tomatoes, and others you're not going to get anything. What's the difference. The difference is not the seed. The difference is the soil. The soil must be prepared for the seed. You got to mulch it, you got to break it up, you got to put some fertilizer in there, maybe a little miracle grow if you want to do that. You got to get it. The soil has to be prepared. This is the same thing for you here to hear God, your heart has to be prepared. You see, if you come to church and you've got up late, and you rushed in and you couldn't find a parking spot, and you were all frustrated and it was raining, and you got in and you were just really in an irritating mood, and they said, okay, God, I'm ready for you.
Speaker 3: Talk to me.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna hear God's voice. You're not in a receptive mood. That's why you can take two people to church. Sit them side by side, want to walk on and goes man, that was powerful. I really that that gave me a lot to think about. And the other person going, I didn't get anything out of that. What's the difference? Heart preparation? Now, for good reception, this passage teaches you have to have four attitudes. You remember when televisions used to have antenna's on them and you would kind of move the antenna's around to get good reception.
Speaker 3: We don't do that anymore now we do. Can you hear me? Now? Can you hear me? Now? Can you hear me now? Okay?
Speaker 2: And you're looking for good reception in order for you to hear God. Now you got to have good reception, and the Bible says that's a matter of your herd attitude. Write down these four attitudes. First, it says, I must be quiet for good reception. To hear God speak to me, I've got to be quiet. It says, be quick to listen and slow to speak. Now, you know, Kay has told me many times, Rick, when you're talking, you're not listening. At least I think that's what she said. You gotta be quiet. You can't hear God if you're talking Okay, number two, I gotta be calm, it says, and slow to become angry, be quick to listen to slow to speak, slow to become angry.
Speaker 3: Why in the world is it talking about anger?
Speaker 2: We're going to talking about the Bible here because you don't hear much when you're angry.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: Pastor Rick says the Bible isn't meant to just inform us, It's meant to transform us. That's why it's so important to study God's Word. Maybe you've never studied the Bible and you don't even know where to start, or maybe read the Bible every day, but you're not getting all God has for you out of the time you spend with him. That's why Pastor Rick created a very special Bible study called forty Days in the Word. This life changing resource will ignite your past for God's Word and revolutionize your relationship with Jesus. The forty Days in the Word Study Kid includes six video sessions on DVD and a two hundred and six page, two color workbook. In the workbook, you'll find six easy to learn methods for reading and meditating on Scripture. These are the very methods Pastor Rick uses in his own personal daily quiet time. You'll also find interactive journaling pages and Bible verse cards with the twenty Bible versus every believer should memorize. There's even a special section called how can we know the Bible Came from God? And a guide for choosing which translation of the Bible is right for you. Will send you a copy of the Forty Days in the Word Study Kid to say thanks for your gift to help more people learn, love and live God's Word through Daily Hope. By the way, right now, when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the Hope of Jesus to a hurting world, generous friends of Daily Hope are going to match your gift up to fifty thousand dollars. But you only have till midnight on June thirtieth to make your gift go twice as far. Go to Pastor Rick dot com or call eight hundred six hundred at five zero zero four, and as a special thank you, we'll send you the forty days in the word Bible steady Kit. Again, that's Pastor Rick dot com or call eight hundred and six hundred at five zero zero four.
Speaker 1: Now let's get back to today's lesson. Here on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope.
Speaker 2: You see, if you come to church and you've got up late, and you rushed in and you couldn't find a parking spot, and you were all frustrated and it was raining, and you got in and you were just really in an irritating mood. They said, Okay, God, I'm ready for you talk to me. You're not gonna hear God's voice. You're not in a receptive mood. That's why you can take two people to church, them side by side, want to walk on and goes man. That was powerful. I really that gave me a lot to think about. And the other person going, I didn't get anything out of that. What's the difference? Heart preparation? Now for good reception, this passage teaches you have to have four attitudes. You remember when televisions used to have antenna's on them and you would kind of move the antenna's around to get good reception. We don't do that anymore now we do. Can you hear me now? Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Now? Can you hear me now? Okay?
Speaker 2: And you're looking for good reception in order for you to hear God. Now, you got to have good reception, and the Bible says that's a matter of your heart attitude. Write down these four attitudes. First, it says, I must be quiet for good reception to hear God speak to me, I've got to be quiet. It says, be quick to listen and slow to speak.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, Kay has told me many times, Rick, when you're talking, you're not listening at least I think that's what she said. You gotta be quiet. You can't hear God if you're talking.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Number two, I gotta be calm, it says, and slow to become angry. Be quick to listen to to speak slow to become angry. Why the world is it talking about anger? We're going to talking about the Bible here, because you don't hear much when you're angry. We don't hear much when we're upset, we don't hear. We can't really hear what somebody else is saying. When we are irritated, when we're angry, when we're uptight, When you are emotionally upset, you're defensive. On the other hand, when you are emotionally relaxed, you're quiet and you're calm, you can really hear what the other person is saying. And the same thing is true in getting into the Bible. You got to be quiet and you got to be calm. If you're going to let God speak to you in the Bible, you can be God. I got five minutes here, talk to me really quick.
Speaker 3: D d da da da.
Speaker 2: I gotta go see you later. Frantic, you're gonna you're not gonna hear God speak to you. The Bible says, be still and know that I am God. My translation to that is sit down and shut up, be quiet, and be calm. By the way, I read this week that listening actually lowers your blood pressure and speaking raises your blood pressure. So if you need to lower your blood pressure, you ought to do a little bit more listening. I need to be calm and I need to be quiet. The third thing is I need to be clean. In other words, I can't have any junk in my life. And he's sin piled up if I expect to hear God speak to me. The third thing he says is get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent. He's saying, here, before you do the seeding, you gotta do some weeding. In other words, when I go out to plant a garden. But I don't just go out and start planting seeds. The first thing, I break up the soil. I get out all the dirt clods and ate all the rocks. I pull out all the weeds. I get that soil really ready, so it's clean, it's not full of junk. And I get it all ready for the soil. And he says, get rid of two things. Get rid of filth and get rid of evil. That's interesting this word filth in the Greek riperion. You know what it is, The word for earwax. Yeah, that's the stuff on the end of that que tip. That's gross. He says, get rid of all the earwacks. You know what he's saying here. The point is, I can't hear God If I got junk in my ear, I mentally blocked.
Speaker 3: I can't Is it God never speaks to me?
Speaker 2: Well, you probably got ear wax, emotional, spiritual, mental, ethical earwax. You can't hear God because you got junk in your life.
Speaker 3: It plugs up the sound. He says.
Speaker 2: Get rid of the filth, get rid of the evil, which is anything we know in our lives that is wrong. He says, you get rid of that before you come to me. Going back to this gardening thing, I really when I garden, I get dirty. I really actually like being in the mud, and I like getting muddy all over. And the crazy thing is is, after a day of you know, gardening and stuff like that and being totally muddy, I'll come up and Key goes, you take off all those clothes where you're going to come in the house. You're not bringing those filthy clothes in my house. Now, I think this is totally unreasonable, okay, But she doesn't want me tracking across the carpet manure. I don't know why, okay. And so she says, you know, you clean this up before you can meet with God. You need to take out some emotional garbage. You need to take out some spiritual garbage. You need to get rid of the stuff that stinks in your life. You're not going to hear God. If it's if your mind's filled with pornography, or resentment, or jealousy or any other junk.
Speaker 3: In your life, you can't hear God.
Speaker 2: Now, how do I take out the garbage?
Speaker 3: Spiritually?
Speaker 2: The Bible calls it confession. Confession simply means to agree with God that was wrong. God, You're right and I was wrong. When you say that, that's confession. When you look at something, Lord, it was wrong for me to say that to my kids. It was wrong for me to act that way toward those people.
Speaker 3: It was wrong.
Speaker 2: That's called confession. Confession means to speak the same God. I just agree with you. You're right and I'm wrong. And that's how you clean out the garbage. So I get calm, I get quiet, and I get clean. The fourth thing I need is I need to be humble. Humble, That's the fourth thing he says. He says, humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
Speaker 3: And what does it mean? To be humble?
Speaker 2: Means say ready to do whatever God tells me from his word. If I come with a prideful attitude, God, you tell me what you want me to do, and then I'll decide whether I'm going to do it or not.
Speaker 3: That ain't going to work. I come humbly.
Speaker 2: Now, these are the spiritual hearing aids for the first way to get God's word in your life. I receive, I accept. I receive God's word through my ears. I hear it, and I hear it by being calm and quiet and clean and humble. Now, that's a good way to get the Word of God in your life. But if that's the only way, you're not growing very much because you forget ninety five percent of what you hear within seventy two hours. That's why I always encourage you to write take notes, because by Wednesday you would have forgotten everything I've said. Basically, So, hearing is a good way to get the Word of God in your life, but you forget ninety five percent of it. So you've got to move to the deeper ways.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The second way to build my life on the Bible is to read it with my eyes. I receive it with my ears, but I read it with my eyes.
Speaker 3: I read the Bible.
Speaker 2: You cannot grow without reading the Bible. James Chapter one, verse twenty two says this down to verse twenty five, don't merely listen to the word. In other words, y'ant to listen, but don't merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves, because you're going to forget it.
Speaker 3: Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word.
Speaker 2: Of God but doesn't do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror.
Speaker 3: Now notice this mirror analogy.
Speaker 2: He says, he looks at his face the reflection in a mirror, and after looking himself, he goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. That's what happens a lot of times on Sunday. You're here a message, and by the time you get to the parking lot, you've already forgotten it. He looks in a mirror, looks at himself, but then he goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
Speaker 3: But here's the opposite.
Speaker 2: The man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, the Bible sets us free, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it. He will be blessed in what he does. Now, I want you to be blessed. I want you to be blessed in ear of your life. I want God's blessing on your family, on your work, on your finances, on your health. Now, the Bible says, if you will do these five things, you will be blessed. So let's go back and circle him. Okay, you know we talked about the first one. He said listen, but here he says, don't merely listen. He says, the man who looks intently. Circle looks intently. That's one of the ways you get blessed. That's reading the Bible. Then he says and continues to do this circle the word continue. That's reviewing the Bible. And then he says, not forgetting what he's heard, that's remembering the Bible. Circle that one, not forgetting but doing it. That's responding to the Bible. He will be blessed in what he does. To be blessed, you got to do all these So we're going to look at all of them today, and we're going to cover him in more detail during forty days in the world. But let's look at him one at a time. First, it says, the person who looks intently, what's he talking about there? He's talking about reading the Bible. But when I read it, I don't read it speed read it. When I read the Bible, I read it and I reflect on it, I think about it, I ponder it, I look intently, and it says that the person who does this is it's like looking in a mirror. You know, many times the Bible is compared to a mirror. In scripture, the Bible compares itself to a mirror. What's the purpose of a mirror? The purpose of a mirror is to evaluate ourselves. This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. If you've missed any part of this message, or if you'd like to find out more about Pastor Rick Warren in this ministry, just visit pastorick dot com, where you can listen online anytime. That's Pastor Rick with two Rs in the Middle dot com, and be sure to sign up for Rick's free daily email devotional while you're there. Rick will be back to close out our time today. But first we have some really exciting news. Generous friends of Daily Hope have offered a fifty thousand dollars matching grant. That means whatever amount you give to help share the hope of Jesus worldwide will be matched up to fifty thousand dollars, So twenty five becomes fifty one hundred dollars, becomes two hundred and five hundred dollars becomes one thousand. Whatever amount you give will be doubled by the grant. But don't wait, because this opportunity will be gone at the end of this month and will miss out on any amount left over from the grant if not matched. Here's Pastor Rick to tell you more. You know, I started Daily Hope so I could spread the good news about Jesus, not just across America, but all around the world. And we want people to know that God's word is filled with hope and truth and the power that we need to follow him every day is available to every single one. You know as well as I do, that the Word of God changes lives. It's a live it's active, and it breathes new life and new love into all of our lives. So wherever you listen to this, whether you listen on the website, whether you listen on a radio station, or whether you listen to a podcast, you're a part of the Daily Hope family, and I need your help. We could not do this without your support. Now, you know, I don't take any funds from this broadcast. We don't have any giant, million dollar donor who's giving big gifts to this. It comes from donations from listeners like you. We're one hundred percent listener funded. Would you continue to pray for this broadcast and would you continue to support us? And let write to me, let me hear from you. I absolutely love reading the stories that are sent to me, So write me, pray for me, and support this ministry, and God will blame and God will bless you, and we'll get to heaven, and we'll thank God for all the people going to be in heaven because you cared.
Speaker 1: When you give a gift to Daily Hope, you're helping share the hope of Jesus with people everywhere. And right now your gift will be doubled by the fifty thousand dollars matching grant. Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four, or you can visit Pastorrick dot com and we'll send you pastor Ricks forty days in the word study kit to say thanks again. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or Pastorick dot com. Please be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Daily Hope Ministries and your generous financial support.