Speaker 1: It's nice eye.
Speaker 2: Undoing Razy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: All right, I remember before coming up here on a Tuesday night. I'm very happy with tonight's show. I want you to know I don't say that all the time, but I think that. My last guest, uh, Lou Ferrante. Again, the book is just you know, if you're interested in you organized crime and all of that, it is a real must read. It's a trilogy. There's one called Rise of the Empire, Rise of Empire, borgata is the uh uh is is one of the words, but Rise of Empire, and then this was Clash of the Titans, a history of the American mafia, and the other is Autumn of Empire. So if you're into interested and again, Lou Ferranti is a fabulous guest. And uh, he's just somebody who knows what he's talking about, which is which is an important thing to be a guest on this program. I want to thank John Featherstone. During the nine o'clock hour, we had a long and a very interesting conversation about abuses that have gone on in the Massachusetts shelter system. And I think the Governor's office, Governor Heally's going to have a lot of explaining to do about this what she knew when she knew it. And if you read both the Globe and the Herald this morning tomorrow morning, I think you'll see a lot more information about a report that the State Republican Party has been able to bring to the light of public a public day. Put it like that, bring it to the light of day. Now I want to talk about Donald Trump. Look, today is the seventh of January, and two weeks from now, Donald Trump will be president of these United States. His election was certified yesterday. We talked about that last night. I was kind of surprised so many people didn't pick up on what I was trying to say last night. But that's okay. I think that we will hopefully always look back. And however you felt about the twenty twenty election that what happened on January sixth in twenty twenty one is an anomaly that should never be repeated in this country again in my opinion, but we'll push that aside. Today President Trump held something of a news conference in his own style, and of course his style is to talk quite a bit in sort of a statement, opening statement, or whatever you want to call it. The Boston Globe has already posted an interesting article written by Kendall Wright, from wales and windmills in Massachusetts to the Next Thing to Panama Canal. Five takeaways from Trump's press conference. Obviously, we will say President elect Trump. So we have a little bit of what the President had to say today, and I'd like to focus because I think that there's some substance in what he's talking about, whether you agree or disagree, certainly the whales and the windmills situation. He says that he will stop windmills. At the same time, Joe Biden is attempting to stop literally all offshore drilling around anywhere around the United States. But let us start with the first of three bites from the president because each of these bites, these sound bites have some interesting some interest in The first one is about a minute long, and he talks about Greenland and the Panama Canal. He's questioned by a reporter and it's interesting. I mean, he takes the question and he responds to the question, which I think, whether you like Donald Trump or not, is going to be a little different from what we've dealt with in the last four years. This is cut number eighteen, Rob Can you assure.
Speaker 4: The world that as you try to get control of these areas, you are not going to use military or economic coercion?
Speaker 1: No, can you tell us a little bit about what your plan is. Are you going to negotiate a new treaty?
Speaker 5: Are you going to ask the Canadians to hold the vote?
Speaker 3: What does the strategy?
Speaker 4: I can't assure you. You're talking about Panama and Greenland. No, I can't assure you on either of those two. But I can say this, we need them for economic security. The Panama Canal was built for a military I'm not going to commit to that now.
Speaker 3: It might be that you'll have to do something.
Speaker 4: Look, the Panama Canal is vital to our country. It's being operated by China. China, and we gave the Panama Canal to Panama. We didn't give it to China, and they've abused it. They've abused that gift that should have never been made. By the way, giving the Panama Canal is why Jimmy Carter lost the election. In my opinion, more so maybe than the hostages.
Speaker 3: I don't think we ever should have given away the Panama Canal, and I still don't understand why it happened. It is a very important access point between the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean. Now the globe, as is their right. They pointed out that it's run The Panama Canal is run by two companies. A Hong Kong company manages two ports at the canal entrance. But any subsidiary of a Hong Kong company is not functioning without some oversight from the Chinese government. And China has made a lot of military footprints in certain parts of South and Central America, and that is something that I think Trump it would be it would be a good thing for us to regain control of the Panama Canal. And as the President X says, we built it, not you and me, but our ancestors built it, and at great cost financially and also the cost of deaths, thousands of deaths from malaria. So that's Donald Trump of the Panama Canal. He's a little bit more on the Panama Canal, and I'd love to know if you agree or disagree with him. I don't think Panama remember remember Noriega. Noriega was the dictator in Panama that after we had given the canal. George Bush administration was in charge of taking him out, and he eventually stood trial in Miami for all sorts of criminal charges. This is Donald Trump cut eighteen A.
Speaker 4: Please rob talking about Panama and Greenland. No, I can't assure you on either of those two, but I can say this, we need them for economic security. The Panama Canal was built for a military I'm not going to commit to that now. It might be that he'll have to do something. Look, the Panama Canal is vital to our country. It's being operated by China. China, and we gave the Panama Canal to Panama. We didn't give it to China, and they've abused it. They've abused that gift that should have never been made. By the way, giving the Panama Canal is why Jimmy Carter lost the election, in my opinion, more so maybe than the hostages.
Speaker 3: So again, I think you're going to hear a lot about that. And by the way, Manuel Noriega, who died in two thou and seventeen, lived a pretty long life. He was in prison when he died. He ran Panama from nineteen eighty three to nineteen eighty nine, and he had an interesting relationship with members of the US Intelligence Services beginning way back in the nineteen fifties, and was at a point in time according to information I'm looking at here an intelligence source for the Central Intelligence Agency. But things turned and he eventually was was taken out of power by it was the Bush administration, and then he eventually was tried and convicted of drugging weapons charges here in the United States. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe he died in jail. So pretty tough end to a life that was it's interesting, to say the least, okay. And then the other comment that the President Trump of President elect Trump made today was again his demand, I guess would be the best way to describe it, his demand that the Gaza, the hostages and Gaza Gaza be released. This is cut nineteen.
Speaker 4: All hell will break out if those hostages aren't back.
Speaker 3: I don't want to hurt your negotiation.
Speaker 4: If they're not back by the time I get into office, all hell will break out in the Middle East, and it will not be good for Hamas and it will not be good, frankly, for anyone. All hell will break out. I don't have to say anymore, but that's what it is. And they should have given them back a long time. They should have never taken them. They should have never been the attack of October seventh. People forget that, but there was, and many people are killed. They're no longer hostages.
Speaker 3: So that's one that I think as of January twenty first, two weeks from today, if those hostages are still being held captive in Gaza, I think there'll be a lot of questions that will be asked of the then president currently the president elect. By the way, just a quick clarification on Noriega. Noriega was in prison self of a brain hemorrhage during surgery, and he had been under house arrest, and he died in two thousand and seven at the age of eighty three. So I think let's get the Panama Canal back. I think that there's ways in which that could be negotiated. Now Greenland, I don't understand that one, but maybe some of you do. So let's look ahead. Later on this week, we will certainly on Thursday, be talking about Jimmy Carter, President Carter. That will be a national day of morning on Thursday, as I'm sure you know, and we will also have as a guest on that night at nine o'clock Harvey Silverglade to talk about how much surveillance our country should be able to do on ISIS related sites. We talked about that a week ago and someone had said that love to know what Harvey Silverglade thought. And we will hear from Harvey Silverglade at nine o'clock on that issue on Thursday night, and then probably on Thursday night spend a lot of the time later on talking about the life and times of Jimmy Carter. If you like to talk about President elect Trump, and I want to know what do you think about Panama. I say, let's take Panama back, Let's try to do it through negotiations. But I think that we have a manifested destiny, a Moro doctorate here that exists in America, and Panama certainly falls under that, and I think that Donald Trump is aware of that. I think also the idea year of purchasing Greenland or working having access in Greenland. Also, I think that there's sort of a manifest destiny concept of that it is in our hemisphere and the northern hemisphere Canada. I don't think that Canada's Canada will become the fifty first state, but I do think that there's a way in which we can have a US Canadian alliance more formal, perhaps even closer in terms of both economic and military. So I think there are ways in which Donald Trump in his four years second term, that he can be proactive on international issues. And who knows, he may He may surprise some people pleasantly, or he may fall back into his pattern in practice of his first term and alienate people. It's interesting today I guess that Meta has decided to take down the concept of fact checkers after Mark Zuckerberg met with President elect Trump. A lot of the high tech billionaires are contributing substantial sums to the inauguration. I think Donald Trump is arriving in Washington with to a much warmer reception than he received eight years ago in twenty seventeen. So we're going to talk about President Electrump, what he wants to accomplish. Are you concerned? Are you optimistic? Two weeks from right now, Donald Trump will be the forty seventh president of the United States. We'll get to phone calls right after the break six seven, two, five, four ten thirty one line there six seven ninth free, one ten thirty always looking to hear from folks locally, but also we invite you to call if you're listening far away, love to know what the feeling is in your part of the country as we approach the inauguration of the forty seventh President of the United States. Coming back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to the Phone's gonna go to Glenn and Brighton. First up, Glenn, welcome, you were first this our Nightside. Glenna, run ahead.
Speaker 5: You're happy New Year.
Speaker 3: By the way, Happy New Year to you as well.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: As a Trump supporter, I'm with him on one issue and against him on the other. I'm with him on Panama totally. In fact, I didn't know I owed Joanne from walking him an apology. I didn't know he gave away. I remember Steve Velli. She told him he's Jimmy's not liberal, He's just lame. And then I got mad and said, you're leaving for Colin Carter Lane. But now I didn't know. I must have missed that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know President Carter decided to give control of the Panama Canal to the Panamanian government, and I don't think there was much that we received in return for it. And it might have been that was a period of time when post Vietnam and we were kind of pulling our horns in from around the world. There was a time in which we were looking very much inward in this country. And that I heard we only got a dollar. I don't know if that's true or not. But well, as I say, gave it away, so we got a dollar. So so you're in favor of Panama. But what about if Denmark wants to sell us Greenland.
Speaker 5: The problem I have with that is, and I know why he wants to sell it. They sell it. I mean, I know why Trump wants it because he's afraid that China might get it or Russia might get it. The problem is with our deficit, with our debt. I hate to say that I'm more isolationist than Trump right now. We need Greenland like a whole in the head. We can't take care of our home with veterans, you know we can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, my god, Well, I do think you have to look at if that opportunity presented itself. I think you got to look at that and say, okay, would that be in our best interest? RUC. Remember when Secretary of State Seward bought Alaska. I'm sure in that days the people say, oh, it was called Seward's folly. Remember, I know you weren't alied back then. But no, eighteen sixty seven, the investment in Alaska turned out pretty well, that's true.
Speaker 5: No, it might it's it's I mean, it's a gamble. It might work. No, fine, I mean then, I mean Greenlay is not known for MS thirteen and crimes, and well it only has about I.
Speaker 3: Think I read something tonight and early is about fifty six thousand. I think it was a sparsely settled country. There's no tubt about that. Sparsely say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I and I like his idea of calling New Mexico is in America.
Speaker 3: He's talking about talking about the Gulf of Mexico called the Golf of America.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Golf of Mexico.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you do that. I mean, I don't know if it's a you know, map makers or whomever decides when something's named. I guess we could start to call anything we wanted to call it. But I don't know if if even a bill passing Congress signed by the President would be recognized by I don't know, that's it I have. If anybody knows the answer to that question. I'm kind of curious about that. I mean, yeah, yeah, all right, Brian, appreciate it, Benn Glenn.
Speaker 5: What am I saying, Brian?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I was just reading. I just looked here that a young guy who pitched to the Baltimore Orioles. Apparently he was pronounced dead today. He's only thirty seven years old. I mean, Brian Mattoose. I remember him as a left handed pitcher for the Orioles, and it just came across the wires. You know baseball, Well, I do know baseball, and I remember Matoose. He's very effective left handed pitcher, you know, not you know, a Hall of Famer by any stretch of the imagination, had some good seasons with the Orioles.
Speaker 5: You know. One more quick thing. I hope we do listed this year. I know it's not you know, we didn't do it last year.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know. We're still working trying to do something with the Winnkers. Okay, keep that in mind, all right, all right, talk to you lady. Thanks, Thanks Glenn. Thanks all right, let me go to Gary Wuober and Gary next on nights. I go right ahead, I'll.
Speaker 6: Make it fast and I'll try to stay on subject. Shake, rattle and roll. That's what Trump is all about now that he's president and so forth. I'm sure you're impressed with everything he's doing, Dan, because I mean, I remember you and sun No talking like Gray and nobody ever even talking about tariffs. What do you think about him just attacking the tariffs?
Speaker 3: What do I think about Trump attacking the tariffs?
Speaker 6: She said, yeah, yeah, being aggressive to make sure the United States makes money.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the economists argue about that all the time. By the way, Dons soon that I'm going to believe that everything that Donald Trump does it's a good idea. I want to give him a chance to be successful as a president. Okay, And I still very much admire Chris Sanunu, who's a great guy. Was a great governor. I think was the best governor in the country. So you're never going to going to talk me off my admiration of my friendship for Kris Sanunu. But but when whatever Donald Trump does wants to try to do, we'll look at it. I mean, I don't think we're going to invade Greenland. I don't even think we're necessarily going to invade Panama. I think that we have the ability economic to say that Panama, look, we gave you this for a dollar, and there's a new sheriff in town, there's a new administration in town. We want control of the Panama Canal back. You can still, We're not going to bankrupt the country down there, but we want to make sure that we control access to the Panama Canal and not companies that are owned by by China or that that are licensed by China.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we eric, you know.
Speaker 3: So that's all I'm saying. Let's se let's see how he does. I hope he's successful, because if he's successful, it's going to be good for you, good for me, good for our families, good for everyone, simple as that. I hope that Joe Biden would have been successful. He was not.
Speaker 6: He was not now as we know, he was a pushover for a president. And let me just make these two comments and then I'll go when you said about comments and so on, I just want to defend you right now. I am all sup port of about Trump, but he's also a stumbag when he puts down the new as a governor of New Hampshion. Remember he says he's doing a bad job. He said that, You remember that, Yeah, yeah, yeah, very good. Last point two years ago or in the last couple of years, Trudeau was putting him down, and next thing you know, he's how did they tessel two weeks ago? And now he resigned?
Speaker 5: What do you think of that? Dan?
Speaker 3: I'm delighted to see Justin Trudeau resigned because I hope that the Conservatives in Canada can elect a new prime minister. I guess the parliament up there has been recessed or put in limbo until sometime in March. He has yet to resign his prime minister. He's resigned as the head of the Liberal Party in Canada. But I think that his reign in Canada, his time in Canada has kind of been coincidental with Joe Biden's, and I think they had both failures. I wish there was another Brian mulrooney in Canada who would step forward, who was a great prime minister and who worked very well with Ronald Reagan a with George Bush. We need presidents and prime ministers to be on the same page. And if we get a conservative prime minister in Canada who's willing to work with Donald Trump, Canada will remain free and independent. It is a you know, it's it's really ruled by the King of England, as I'm sure you know. So it's not going to become the fifty first state. But economically, we can have agreements with Canada, which are you know, favorite nation trade status and all of that which can make Canada stronger and make us stronger. There's a lot of there's a lot that can be done. In my opinion, nothing would have worked between Trump and Trudeau. Simple is that the only.
Speaker 6: Thing that had in nuclear times. So we say that Happy days here again.
Speaker 3: No, that's a democratic theme song that was for Franklin Roosevelt. Because no, no, no, you cat you can you can. You can just sing the y MCA song and it'll be all said. Okay, thanks Gary, good night, all right, we'll keep rolling here. If you can take Gary off, that's great. We'll take a quick break here. It's eleven thirty two or a couple of minutes late for the news. Got one line that just failed. If you want to call in and talk about This is the first time we talked about President elect and Trump at what he's going to do, and he talked today about it. He chose the seventh of January, the day after the electors had confirmed to be president, and it did. It went. It went very well yesterday. And I've said before and I'll say it again, I congratulate Vice President Harris. I'm sure it was not one of her favorite moments, but she handled herself very well. And let us hope that forever more transitions of power in this country remain peaceful. We don't need to talk about that more tonight, but if you like to talk about what we're talking about tonight six, we'll get you through. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: You're on night Side.
Speaker 1: Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay. Back to the phones is go to Dot and Medford. Dot is a big fan of Donald Trump. Go ahead, Dot.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, listen, Dan. I'm just calling to wish you and your family a wonderful, happy, healthy New Year you Dot, as well as as one to Glenn to my favorite Klawa. I always like to listen to Glenn all right, he's a good guy. But anyway, did you ever take a cruise on the Panama Canal.
Speaker 3: Never have never have transgressed the Panama Canal.
Speaker 7: No, I did not have you. Yes, and you would enjoy it. You'd enjoy that. And the worst thing we ever did was give that up. We never should have given it up.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, how long did it take you to get across the Panama Canal? And how long is that is? That trip?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I mean I was having it. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time, but.
Speaker 3: You probably would have a libation.
Speaker 7: I was having a very good time. But also the captain of the ship actually turned the ship around in the canal to chase dolphins.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, how can you turn the ship down?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, you get in different areas of the canal. It's very wide, okay, you know it's it's not just a canal all the way through, So you get in areas where there's a lot of water. So he could turn to oh you should take that, you should do take a trip with the listeners. They would love it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a thought, that's a thought. How long ago did you go through the Panama Canal?
Speaker 7: If I could ask, oh, oh it's been it's been twenty twenty five years. Anyway, that's okay, that's okay. But anyway, it was wonderful and I think I was thinking, I wonder if you ever did it.
Speaker 3: Nope, never did it. I've never been to pan although my godfather, who I never met, who had been a friend of my my father growing up, lived in Panama. Oh really my godfather and my godmother, who I never met, were my godparents.
Speaker 7: Wow. Wow, that's interesting by the time, and you got to put that in your bucket list. But you know, I totally agree with Trump about the Panama Canal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure I've got a shirt I'm wearing on inauguration day. Whoa, it's cool.
Speaker 3: What does it say?
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 7: Trump?
Speaker 5: Trump?
Speaker 7: A big Trump shirt. And I know a lot of my neighbors are going to go, yee.
Speaker 3: That's okay. You can celebrate. You can celebrate.
Speaker 7: I'm going to be celebrating. Hey, listen, I didn't think we were going to do it, but we did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, yeah, you were in about seventy seven million other people. Yeah, today that I think that he finally they figured out he got about seventy seven million votes.
Speaker 7: Yes, I made it. Was I was amazed myself.
Speaker 3: I was amazed by the way I'm looking at the Panama Canal here and you're right, oh yeah, it's it does have some area.
Speaker 8: Where it has well the areas.
Speaker 7: That's a lot of water. Yeah, what you get out of that canal? And have you ever taken that?
Speaker 3: How about this? It says the length of the shoreline of the Panama Canal is about forty miles. I didn't really realize that.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I mean it's a it's a great it's a great trip.
Speaker 3: And it says it says from the deep water in the Atlantic, which is the Caribbean Sea to deep water in the Pacific, it's about fifty miles.
Speaker 7: Whoa, oh hey, put it on your bucket list. But you know, another very interesting canal to travel on is the Erie Canal.
Speaker 3: Never been on that one either, Well, you got it.
Speaker 7: You go up these laws, you go walks and I went with Elda Hostel and uh we had two speakers a day. It was fabulous.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've been on cruises river cruises in Europe on the Rhine and on the Danube River where you have locks and you go along and.
Speaker 7: It's very interesting.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. The ship, so it gets locked and then it goes down, and then the water brings you back up and you continue on your way.
Speaker 7: It's great and that's how the Eerie Canal is. But also the Mississippi River. Have you ever taken a cruise?
Speaker 3: No? No, I've certainly seen the Mississippi River, but never had a cruise.
Speaker 7: My husband and I we went on every trip they gave all the way up to Minneapolis, and then we did the Ohio River, which was lovely. We enjoyed River Bowden.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have seen the Ohio River. It runs right by Louisville, Kentucky. So I can tell you that I've seen the Ohio River, but I've never been on the Ohio River. Dot. Thank you very much. Cruising cruising with Dot here.
Speaker 7: On nice with Dan.
Speaker 3: Now all right, thanks Doc, doctor you soon, good time you too?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Happy New Year. Let me go next to Joe and Lynn. Joe, welcome, next to Nisaca.
Speaker 8: Right ahead, Thank you Dan. I have to agree with Glenn. Glenn and Dot, I hope, I'm I know you like me as a caller. Can I take a double victory lap here?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 8: Before we get into the electoral votes, I said two hundred and eighty five. There were three over three hundred, and I hope I before late to meet. Yeah, I hope I get a WBC bag. And I'm so glodd No, we gave, we gave away.
Speaker 3: There was a guy that picked three point fifteen and that's that's who got the bang.
Speaker 8: Okay, yep, oh, well next time maybe if I'm still here. I agree with Glenn, uh, we should take the canal back, but we should stay out of Greenland unless we're gonna drill and stay out of Canada. There's too much duty and there's too many problems Greenland alone. If we want to help them, help them. But Trump doesn't need to start buying this and change in the Gulf of Mexico's name. Just leave things alone.
Speaker 3: I hope someone can tell me how. I mean. I'm assumed that there must be some sort of world Association of cartographers, which are map people, you know, how the name Gulf of Mexico is named. I kind of imagined that that there has to be some sort of I mean, it's called the Atlantic Ocean, I get it, but I never thought about, well, yeah, who named it the Atlantic Ocean? Who named it the Pacific Ocean? Is it going to be that name forever? Can then can it be changed? I don't know. I don't have an answer to that.
Speaker 8: Maybe one of our listeners can call up and let us know.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping, Joe, you never know a lot of smart people out there tonight. Thank you for calling. You have a great new year, and I wish your good health for the balance.
Speaker 8: Where is Panama located? Panama can I where is Panama?
Speaker 1: Actually?
Speaker 3: Panama Canal is in Central America?
Speaker 8: Oh, Cent, that's where it is.
Speaker 3: Okay, I gotta go, Jo, Thank you much, Talk to you soon. Have a great night. Six seven two, five, four ten thirty, triple eight nine to nine, ten thirty. There's one line at six one seven ninety three one ten thirty coming right back on nightside. And if someone has an answer for me, I'd really appreciate it. How are bodies of water such as the Gulf of Mexico, the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, the Mediterranean? Is there some official how do you change the name? Donald Trump says he wants to change the name of the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America. Sounds like a great idea to me, But how do you do that. I don't. I kind of imagine just simple Act of Congress that the President signs it. We'll figure it out. Coming back on night Side.
Speaker 2: Now, back to Dan Way live from the Window World night Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Still trying to figure out who names bodies of water around the world. Okay, we got some pack lines. Get everybody in Paul and Plymouth, Paul next on Nightsig go ahead, sir, I.
Speaker 1: Get uh listen. I just wanted to kind of discuss Greenland for a minute. Sure, because in regards to our earlier guest you had there was discussing the Titanic. We all think that the Titanic sunk way up there Greenland, and so you know in the North Atlantic it was so cold, but it actually sunk south of Boston. It was about a thousand miles out off of the coast of Plymouth and the Boorn Line. Yeah. So anyways, I just want to, uh to tell you that. And the other thing is I think that you know, mister Trump, uh, he's just restating American keviedy in the Western Hemisphere in response to Vladimir Putin doing the same thing over in Russia. So I think it's good. It's you know, we need someone some strong leadership there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well it's gonna be a little different, that's for sure. By the way, Greenland I mentioned earlier, it has a it is one of the least densely populated regions in the world. It only has fifty six thousand people. That's less of a population than probably well Boston has more than that. But I don't know that. There's too many cities even in Massachusetts that have more than fifty six thousand. You know, that's that that's probably the size of I don't know. I'm guessing I want to say something like Strifield or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Turymouth is I think Tumous is pushing seventy thousands.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, then in that case, you're right Plymouth. Maybe we'll figure out Greenland's population is fifty six thousand. Let me see the popular I'll get the population of Plymouth, Massachusetts for you. What do you think it is how much.
Speaker 1: I'd say, I'd say it's probably pushing seventy thousand somewhere around this, but it might be in the high sixties.
Speaker 3: Let's see. Hopefully we come up here. Population town Plymouth, Massachusetts, sixty six thousand, five and thirty seven.
Speaker 1: Ding Ding Ding.
Speaker 3: You're a winner. You are a winner. And by the way, you have more people in Plymouth than they have in the entire country of the entire nation of Greenland Green How about that. We've come up with that, we've followed, we've taken care of that. That's a good one. Hey, thanks so much, Paul, thank you.
Speaker 1: Hey listen, Yeah, I think you might have to consult a man named Americo fast Beauty about renaming the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 3: I don't know, and I think he's dead, so we'll have to figure out some of his ancestors. Thanks Paul, of a great one.
Speaker 1: Goodness.
Speaker 3: Now let me go to my friend Pete in South Carolina. Pete, how are you tonight?
Speaker 1: I did am fine, Dan, Happy New Year to you.
Speaker 3: Right back at you, Happy new Year. I hope all is well for you in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: All is well, And I have three things and I'm going to do boom boom boom, because you know, I know you. I'm late ahead number one. Number one. I know you complain or people talk about Michelle lou And the only time I stood up and said, Bravo to her. Was when she played Rhapsody in Blue with the Boston Pops. She was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Good for her.
Speaker 1: He played piano solo. I love that piece of music. She was wonderful.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Second, you got to go to Panama fair enough. And because now even though it's it's in deterioration, it's not that deteriorated. I stuck my hand off the boat and touched the concrete as it was going up one of the one of the gates. It was a wonderful experience. And last but not least, I am so glad to see that our future president is making moves right now in front of the world, in front of the American people, that he's going to do it, and I think he will.
Speaker 3: Well, let's see what happens. I mean, we're not going to go to war with Panama, but I think it might be. I think that economically we could offer Panama some inducements to give us back control of the Panama Canal.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it was a wonderful experience. And there's a great book it's called The Path between the Seas and it was written by David McCollough.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, great, David was a guest in this program, the late great David McCullough, Bill.
Speaker 1: Speaking, And one more thing, and I'll let you go because I can always call back later. The other guest that often that you had, and I can't remember his name right now, but he wrote the book on Adam the Lawyer. It's escaping me.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean John Adams, John, No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Currently he wrote the book. It was supposed to be a college thesis.
Speaker 3: You know what, Pete, call me back, call me back sometime later this week. You'll think of it. I'm blanket on it too, but I got other callers. I gotta go. This is not good.
Speaker 1: It was a great book, and I thank you for that. Okay again, Happy new Year, and we will be in touch.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks appreciated. Let me go to Bill and Easton. Bill want to get you and a couple more in Go ahead, Bill.
Speaker 9: And it's the process of renaming that body of water is more informal than we think. Googler, not that question anymore. But he's going to get all the federal agencies on the same page, FAA, Military, etcetera.
Speaker 1: No problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, wait a second, how do you then get the rest of the world to comply.
Speaker 9: You don't know, because Rio Grande River is called Rio Bravo by Mexican This is a political thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, got good, Okay, that could be fine. That's fine. That well, thank you very much.
Speaker 9: So it's three other examples. Burma we is, people try to rename it me and mok the yeah spelling of Turkey Turkey, Mount McKinley, Denali. And we have a new town of Massachusetts in nineteen ninety six a Quinna used to be gay ahead, that's correct.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying that can be done internally. I assumed that that would have been done by the state legislature or something like that. I think, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Not the state. We control a good portion of a belf of Mexico, as does Mexico in Cuba, believe it or not, has international rights an not a portion of it if Yeah, a big deal. Yeah, it's all They're trying to throw us out of Honduras too, because you know, it's all is the immigration, you know.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 9: So you had great information.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. I knew someone else there would help us out. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Okay, welcome Dan.
Speaker 3: Thanks palp uh Rob, what who gets some time? My two minute warning? Where are we? Two minutes?
Speaker 1: Right? Now?
Speaker 3: Here we go get Kevin and Lowell. Kevin, gotta be quick, go ahead, you've called late. I'll give you a few seconds. Go ahead, let Kevin.
Speaker 10: Yep, sorry about that, Dan for Colin late, So I'll make it quick. I think if we buy Mexico instead, then we can name the Golf of Mexico Golf of America. I think, yeah, maybe that would be an option. I don't but for real, I don't see why we should buy Greenland. I'm pretty sure other things could be worked out. And uh, I do hope to get those radio tips from your second time caller. Now and I'm called the.
Speaker 3: Other day you sent you You left me a voicemail, right, Kevin, Yes, yes, I do me a favorite, Kevin. Leave your number with Rob. It's as simple. It's as simple as that. And I'll give you a call at some point. Be more than happy. But leave your number with Rob.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, YEPA thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna give the final word tonight to Christine from Dadhim. Christine only got about twenty seconds for you. What can you do?
Speaker 1: With it.
Speaker 11: I was reading that the Gulf of Mexico in the last six centuries has been renamed in the last six centuries, but it would be hot to the nabigational issues if they changed it. That's what they say of the sale is.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I don't know why that would be. It would seem to me that if you change the name, you changed the name. We'll do some more research on this. We'll do some more Christine, thank you for that suggestion. Okay, thanks, talk soon, good night, good night. All right, we're done for the night. I want to thank Rob, want to thank Maria, want to thank all the callers, and want to thank everybody who is listening. Tonight. I will be on Facebook at Nightside with Dan Ray. You can like me on Instagram, you can follow us on Twitter w at WBZ Nightside All and as always, all dogs, all cots, all pets go to heaven. That's what my pal Charlie Ray is, who passed fifteen years ago, and where all your pets are who passed loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see the again. Hope to see you again tomorrow night on Night's Side. My name is Dan Ray. Thanks for listening, have a great Wednesday. Everybody