Speaker 1: It's a Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast special report. The Lapsed Fan presents the Complete hull Cogan, a real American story brought to you by Garage Beer you.
Speaker 2: Know around here Lately. Boss is part of the Complete Hulled Cogan. It's kind of felt like Sweet Home Alabama, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: It has starting to feel right at home in the Gulf Coast. And just as soon as we're getting comfortable, much like Terry Blaya did in nineteen seventy nine, it's time to move on. Yeah, I agree. I mean, listen, listen. We're not here to make people comfortable, all right, We're here to make people feel uncomfortable, And as soon as they feel a sense of normality, it's time to produce abnormality, for better or worse. Terry Boulaya always knew when he was overstaying his welcome, right, I'll be he was. He was pretty good at it, Like well, he wasn't as good as as Terry Funk, but he had his moments. That's right. That's a great point. Yeah, Well, perhaps if Terry struck gold in New York like Hogan did, he wouldn't have left either on such a rapid clip. But yes, you're right, that is an interesting contrast. But we have to we have to put a bow on this thing. Last time we were with you on the Complete Hulk Hogan. Hogan had just wrestled Harley Race at the Rip Hughes Football Stadium in Dothan, Alabama for the NWA World Heavyweight Title, a match that ended when Austin Idol got up on the apron snapped a flash photograph and Hogan's eyes blinded him and caused him to get rolled up one, two three. According to Ron Fuller, I mean, there's not enough for you in there, and what I just said at all the things it says, I don't know what to tell you at this point in the journey there. There's too much going on right there. And I would say definitely a lot of fear, a lot of fear, a lot of concern, you know, photographers to roll ups. It's getting real, it's getting real for hul Covid. Yeah. Yeah, he's already starting to learn to look out of the corner of his eye. And I think there's a lot to be said. I mean, the thesis basically is everything you think Hulkkein figured out as his career unfolded he did in the first six months in Alabama. Yeah, in one way or another, he downloaded all he needed to download about the characteristics, the Austin Idel stuff that he lifted. But there's a home stretch here for the Alabama run. Chronologically, it gets a little complicated because at the same time he's working in parallel in Memphis around this time, almost as frequently. But as we discussed last time, when he steps into the ring against Harley Race in July nineteen seventy nine in doth And, he'd already essentially communicated to booker Louis Tillette and owner Ron Fuller that he was moving on. Ron Fuller, of course, as we mentioned, is sort of put the blame on Toilette for not putting a strap on Hogan earlier and making him feel like he was going to be a centerpiece of the promotion and thus very susceptible to an offer from Jerry Jarrett and Company up in Memphis for a bit more money and perhaps a bit more spotlight. So Hogan has already made it clear before he steps into the ring with Harley Race, according to Ron Fuller, that he's not long for the world, And so we have to take a look at how Hogan played out the string because when you hear that, you might think it was sort of a hard stop. And after he fails to defeat Hardly for the championship, he hasn't really seen in the territory. Again, that is not the case. In addition to Memphis, he goes to work for Georgia, and these are two offices that didn't necessarily have adversarial relationships with Ron Fuller in Southeast. It's not like when he went to these two territories he would never be welcomed back again. In fact, he even goes to New York to the WWWF and comes back to work a couple of some shows. Now Alabama by the close of nineteen seventy nine. Yes, wow, Bob Armstrong, of course, a long time staple in the area, father of the road Dog for those among temporary fans. Yeah yeah, ends up back in sort of the power circle with Southeastern Championship Wrestling, and they work a bit of a program to close out nineteen seventy nine, and I think an extreme serendipity it all ends on what of all nights for Hogan and Alabama, but Christmas nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So we're going to take you through to that here on this week's episode. Of course, the complete hull Kogan as you know by now made possible not only by your incredible support on Patreon, but also our friends at Garage Beer, fastest growing beer brand in the US Crisp crushable and brewed for good times, no nonsense, four percent ABV lagger, ninety five calories, three grands of carbs, two crowd favorite varieties, Classic and Lime. Go to drink Garagebeer dot Com for their beer finder and support them this holiday season, and you know it toasts the new year. Let's ring in twenty twenty six, Yeah, with a cold garage beer. Absolutely, when the when the ball drops, head to the garage. Yeah. And when they leaned into TLF, all of a sudden the awards started pouring in on their side of the house. Think not, I think not. So it's been terrific to have their support as we do really what it takes and spend what it takes to really dig and on earth as much as can be said about as we've talked about Boss, a criminally underdocumented part of Hulkgan's life in times you know the more we the more we dig into it, the more it's It's really shocking that people have not really talked about it as much as as they should have. It's a real shame, Like what do you what are you doing? You're missing out? I mean, listen, I'm grateful, you know, if we're uncovering some stuff that maybe had been covered for quite a while. So I'll take that. But you know what, the fuck the fact that Hogan verse Harley in July of nineteen eighty and doth in nineteen eighty seventy nine in Dothan filled this football stadium the only time, according to Ron Fuller, that this territory had a stadium scale show, and not a single photograph exists of that show, let alone the match between Harley and Hogan. Yep, just sets my mind into a tizzy. I mean it's just, you know, I guess all we can count on are these snippets of fans who have posted things on Facebook or forums over the years that that bore witness, Right, I mean, that's the best we can hope for, right, boss, the best we can hope for. Well, we'll see about that. But the complete Hull Coogan continues two unfold and is mentioned he had just hustled with Harley Race. I did sort of parrot something that Ron Fuller said about the match that I'm going to reel in on this episode. And this is thanks to the homie Matt, who was quick to point out immediately that in fact, Hogan verse Harley seventy nine dothen yes, was not the only time that Hull Cogan challenged for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Fuck, turn your attention please, if you could, to your chat window and observe. Tell the folks what you see. Hold on here, what do you see? What? Describe? Describe? Well, the first thing, obviously, you know, your eye goes right to the fact that you got Hull Cogan wearing yellow and red. By the way, yes, yellow and red. That's key. He is giving a roundhouse right too, uh uh Harley Race, who's holding the the NWA title. It says right there up in the ever left corner, Harley Race versus Hull Cogan, but down on the lower left hand corner. This is what's kind of a little this is this is this is interesting. Is a lot of Japanese characters or some kind of Asian cash and say I mean, I'm assuming Japan because wrestling is in Japan. I don't know, but yeah, a lot of Japanese characters saying something. I don't know what, but it's saying something. So I imagine this happened in Japan. You know what. No, the photo ran in a Japanese magazine only, oh my god, I won't say only, but it ran. What we have here is a photo from a Japanese magazine. No, what you're looking at with Harley Race to your point holding the license plate NWA World Title belt, the one that we just can't allow our minds to put in the same space time continuum as Hull Camanium. Yes, what you were looking at is Hulk Hogan wearing the red and yellow Yes, going for the NWA World title in October nineteen eighty three in Saint Louis. What how yep? Take your time? I mean, okay, so I'm trying to think here eighty three. I mean, wouldn't have he wouldn't he been working for VERN sort of yes, but not exclusively. He's going to Japan all the time, and Saint Louis was a very close confident on office to Vern, just like it was to Fritz. You know, but I but I thought that, you know, why would I mean, I guess if you're not if he's not exclusive to Verne, then he's okay. But something Why would Verne let somebody go down to n WA territory when he was very anti NWA. I but what makes you say he's anti NWA. Well, he made his own fucking company because he didn't get the NWA championshop. You go back to the fifties, Yeah, I got you. Yeah, I think by now he's kind of over that for the most part. I mean, he has his own world champion. But guys like Bockwinkle and Toura many others were allowed to go to Keel auditorium shows and work for Sam much Nick and Larry Matti sick. Yeah, just like you know, well, I guess Fritz never really split off from the NWA in a clean breakaway until the late eighties. Yeah, but you know, when it was time to start pushing the boys, they went where to Saint Louis Television, particularly David von Erik to meet Harley in that handicapped matches we talked about in a lamentable tragedy. I just it's one thing to say that Hulk Hogan challenged Charlie Race for the NBA Championship the same year he came back to WWF to start the whole Camania run, but with that belt. But it's another thing to say he was wearing the red and yellow. I can't. I can't accept that Hogan wore red and yellow trunks before January nineteen eighty four. Well did he? Or I should say December eighty three didn't? He didn't. Didn't he wear red and yellow for that that Super Sunday match? Was it red? And Well? It was, but I think that the trunks were red if I'm not mistaken when I picture Hogan and Awa, and I'm sure you know it's very at everybody's fingertips to pull up counter examples, but I don't know. Man. When I heard about this match, before I saw the pick, I'm like, Okay, it's going to be him, and like, you know, light blue trunks wrestling Harley, Right, yeah, right, No, he's wearing red and yellow. He's wearing it's exactly like he did in WWA. That's that's nuts. There were two matches in October of nineteen eighty three, and it's really fascinating because where do they go right when he's well a whole on a second, Actually, no, that I'm thinking about it, he's not working for VERN. He is, Yeah, he is. He's working for Vern. Yeah, because the shows that he know shows after giving his notice were Christmas Time eighty three and that's when he shows up in Wow in New York. But well, where does he do it? Let's not forget where were the television tapings happening the very first time Hulk Hogan came back from the ABA Saint Louis Chase tell So that adds a whole new context of how the Saint Louis fans that saw Hulkogan make a surprise return with just a couple of days left in nineteen eighty three to the WWF, they would have seen him in that city at Keel going for the world title a few months before that against Harley Race. So keep that in mind when you take in that famous footage of him returning in December ety three, and in what the Saint Louis fans had thought about this guy. He wasn't this distant guy that they may have remembered when he wrestled in seventy nine and eighty for the WWWF that they would have just seen him under the auspices of Sam Muchnick and the NWA. So Jesus I thought it was highly appropriate to rein in that. Admittedly, the speculation from Ron Fuller that that may have been in seventy nine, Hogan's only NBA Championship shot just another example of how much there still is to learn as we go through this chronology about Hulk Cogan. It's absolutely oh, I'm I mean, it's just it's almost it's borderline unacceptable, right, Okay, the border line unacceptable because of the magnitude of his career. You think, if there's one wrestler that I have a handle on the biggest things he did, it's Hult COVID and you don't even have forty percent of it. Yeah, right, exactly, because he did he did so much more before he went full time for the McMahons that then we can handle handle. I mean, it's one thing to look through a chronological list of his matches, but when you see the pictures and you get the texture, and you hear the testimonials from people who were fortunate enough to lay eyes on the things that he was doing, that do not survive on videotape or even still photography. That's a whole different matter. And looking back on the match in Dothan against Harley, Ron said in his podcast that they were trying to figure out how to see all these people in this stadium. It was a football field, wasn't as secure as a typical wrestling arena was. And so what do you have to worry about? I mean, all of a sudden, you've got to worry about people finding ways to sneak in. I mean, think about a high school football stadium. There's a million ways in that motherfucker who's exactly no less than Terry the Hulk Boulder wanted a full security plan. Ah, but I mean I could there must have been hundreds of people that did not pay and found a way into that stadium for this match. Oh, I would imagine I'm listening it. I mean, I don't know high school football stadium. I figured that's pretty easy to fucking oh. And Ron Fuller said his podcast you remembers asking announcer slash businessman businessman, I should say a promoter Charlie Platt, who helped with a lot of his logistics. How many people do you think the Ripheus Stadium is going to hold? And he recalls plat say about eight thousand, and Fuller said, I trusted that was an accurate figure. And that night he's sitting at home. He just wrestled in Knoxville, where the war is in full tilt. So Ron Fuller is spending all of his time there, not down in Dothan. And he had his cousin Royley well chandled the box office down there, waiting for the call. Ron's waiting for the call from down there to see how many people they did. Comes in seventy eight hundred people, two thousand more fans that had ever attended an event in Dothan. Wow, he said, you get to keep this in mind. If basically eight thousand people were at the stadium and fifty thousand people lived in Dothan, think about what you're saying there. Yeah, I mean that's not to say everybody in that stadium is from Dothan. There are plenty of shots on the territory. There were a couple hour drive. But still, I mean, when you really it's one thing to say these territories, these old school territories used to put thousands in the building or every every week. It's another when you step back and say, well, the population wasn't that big. That's remarkable. That's like the only thing going on in town. No wonder, these territories, in these areas that didn't have professional sports teams thrive so much, right right, of course, of course, because you know they got nothing else to do. That's much easier to convince you in a city like that that wrestling is kind of like the prestige night out, you know, like the thing, the sporting event that has the most consequence. I think that's often overlooked when people talk about why, uh these people were, you know, chanting and reacting to these matches like they were real, These old ladies and these adults you see in the audience in the territorial days and equal in greater parts than you see children. That's what Hulk Hogan did at w w F, of course, is switch the demographics to primar ely kids. But before that it's adults. They were looking for blood, They're looking for pieces of ship to get their asses handed to them by good old boys, and that works, right. I mean, you know, end of the week, you know, it's a perfect time everyone's everyone just got through a hard week at work, and they they want to they wanna to release, to say the least. Yeah, And the thing is they have not. They have not they have nothing else going on. There's no other sport, so like, I don't know, man like if if there's not you know, three major professional sports teams in my city, or even a collegiate sport that's convenient to get to to speak of a lot easier to just say, you know what, even wrestling's phone. Yeah, I'm going to take it seriously because I don't really have a lot more on the way of sport entertainment options here. I don't know, I don't have a lot going on in my life, right, I mean just they're not going on around me, not my life, but just no in my life. I gotta treat something like it's real. Oh my god. But Ron Fuller starts getting calls from Louis Toillette and it's deep French accent. Louis sounds extremely upset. Ron said, I could hardly get him to calm down. He was ecstatic. The crowd was way over ten thousand. Actually he was as he estimated, Rather that the crowd was way over ten thousand, well, seventy eight hundred. There had been a fucking revolt backstage because the wrestlers were all pissed off with their pay and assume that someone had stolen thousands from them, and the wrestlers because when they assessed it an eyeballed it. They said, there's no way, there's only seventy eight hundred people. That's what you have to remember about, you know, the double edged sword of doing too well in this territory in this era. Yes, just like we talked about the idea that Ron Fuller didn't want the photographers from the national wrestling magazines covering this stuff while we have such a dearth of pictures of Terry doing his thing down there. It's because that would spread national awareness of how much money they were actually making and cause all kinds of fucking headaches when people start adding up how much they should be owed, or their promoters start salivating at the prospect of stealing these wrestlers who are filling buildings in this sort of low key territory. And this is part and parcel. I think of that same psychology of like, yeah, we want to go big, but I mean Ron Fuller refers to it its podcast. It's always been the kiss of death to have a huge crowd and a new location like that. Can you imagine doing a crowd like that and the first way you choose to describe it is the kiss of death. Yes, I wonder hull Kgan doesn't remem this fondly, you know, you know, no wonder people didn't talk about this for years and years and years because all this intrigue swirling around, these wrestlers breaking off and running opposition, everyone bitching and covetching about the size of the crowd and if they're getting screwed in the payoff, alleging people skimming money off the gate. It's all this negative shit, you know. It's like everyone's succeeding despite themselves. And the second you do something really big, my god, do you have a headache on your hands? Right? He said? The wrestler's eyes get big when they see crowd like that, And so Ron trying to put this fire out, gets Charlie Platt and the phone and they ask himate how many people are on the field. It's one thing to say how many people are in the seats and the bleachers, how many people on the field, but four hundred, and they said that stadium would have been full if they were sitting out there. Gordon Soley actually came to the show, if you can believe that. Wow. Gordon Soley had done about a year on television in the territory, working side by side with Charlie Platt, kind of in an interregnant period before he became again the voice of a WTBS superstation wrestling for Georgia Championship, and he had presented Charlie Platt during the show with an award from the National Wrestling Alliance as the best new television wrestling commentator in America. So that was certainly a proud moment for Charlie Platt and one for the Alabama wrestling fans to remember fondly. It doesn't get any more through and through Alabama than Charlie Platt. He spent his whole life in that state and working in television and radio. So he was one of those you know, sort of like Dave Brown and Lance Russell and Memphis so many other examples Bob Coddles we talked about. These are people who were part of the community above and beyond the fact that they were the wrestling announcer part of the local news station, for example, or the local news radio station above and beyond the fact that they were wrestling announcers. And Ron Fuller says in his podcast This Night, Hogan Harley should have catapulted the territory into one of the best in the country. Should have caught us on fire. But instead this controversy over the size of the crowd did just the opposite. Yep, did just the opposite. What lessons being learned here? Boss? Do you think for a young Terry bolea browler, I don't know who to trust me more? Dude, right? I mean I filled this house too definitely not fill the house, but that I'm told I didn't fill a house, brother, and I filled the house too much, dude, or a stand brother. You want me to sell out, Dude, I sold out. That's a lot too much. Kind of freaked me out. Freaking me out as and felt this betrayed since Eddie Graham told him it was fake and that Matt Tudor broke his leg for no reason. I don't say any or or when Mike Graham did anything. I know hadn't been this betrayed since Mike Graham didn't call him on his birthday every year since nineteen sixty five. So yeah, fuller'sa's. Call after call came in from wrestlers after the show, all with the same complaint, and finally Ron just had to stop taking their calls around midnight because it's just getting so ridiculous. And Ron said, you know, looking back, I shouldn't have worked a wrestling show in Knoxville that night. I should have taken myself off that card, put the war to the side for a minute, and I could have been down there in person and Dothan and straightened a lot of this out instead of you know the fact that his absence seemed to make things even worse because nobody feels like they're talking to the person that can make it right. You know, they're just dealing with middlemen like Louis Tillette. Looking back round, Fuller simply said the Knoxville War cost him everything and that this match was the high point of Gulf Coast Wrestling, the Knoxville War, the Knoxville Five. That's right, but's a go. As for Harley, he would go on, He would go on to continue raining, I think we know this. Harley's got a ways to go before starr K eighty three when he really passes the torch. Here's how he looked and sounded. This is Harley late August, Okay, just a month after doing this match with Terry Bulla and Dothan Alabama, back with the Strap making the towns, including this promo that survives from nineteen seventy nine down in Houston for Paul Bosh, I think.
Speaker 5: He told you off.
Speaker 6: Telling somebody off and doing something about It's two different things. I happen to be World's heavyweight champion. You don't win this by garbage. You don't win this by standing here, running your big mouth and proving to everyone that you can talk louder than they can. The talk ends and the action begins in that squared circle. Now you get your big overstuff carcass in there anytime you feel fit, Daddy, because this is on the line to any living human being and wrestling. And I think you know what I'm talking about, mister Bosh. I just proved it all over again. I am now three times World's heavyweight champion, and I can truthfully say I can beat any man in the world, and that includes that big over stuffed water buffalo.
Speaker 3: Well, the over stuff to wall of the Buffalo. Evidently such a point on World's champion Harley Race. But it is true that Bruce of Brody is better than he's ever been. But Harley Race looks like he is in top condition right now.
Speaker 2: And of course coming off an angle where Bruiser Brodie called him out and they were working a program. But that's what Harley sounded like in seventy nine. That's some swag right there. Oh yeah, he's singing. He's wrapping the whole thing about being the top guy and the top dog. Right after just thinking back, thinking back to yes, the people that Terry Boleya may have rubbed the wrong way inadvertently coming up in Florida. Guess who got his ass right in line to work Harley for the championship after Terry Bowlea did this kind of business with Harley and doth And guess who all of a sudden was right at the front. Mike Graham, Dusty Rhodes. That all come on within a month, within a month and a half, within a month and a half of Hogan selling the show out with Harley, Dusty Rhodes defeats Harley Race to become NWA World Heavyweight Champion August twenty first, nineteen seventy nine, in Tampa, Florida for the first time. Baby, I'm going through around waiting, Daddy. I gotta get my I think ione else was doing some business. Baby, I gotta take care of bet to my fail you say, oh, don't overextraplate that. That's ridiculous. It was just his time the rate. No yet he lost the belt five days later. Back to Harley's Oh, Dustin's I refuse to not connect those dots because Dusty sent You know, Dusty was pretty much running the territory with Mike Graham. I'm part of me, Eddie Graham. They sent Jack and Jerry Briscoe to that show. They worked underneath Hartley versus Rays, Hartley versus bolea Boulder. Can't claim they didn't know, can't claim Dusty didn't know that Terry was doing this kind of business. Here's maybe some reconnaissance. Maybe the brisk Goes engaged in some kind of reconnaissance, maybe engaged in some kind of you know, retroactive you know, damage control around letting this guy slip through their fingers in seventy seven. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud here, boss.
Speaker 7: I mean, look that they knew what they had though, you know they knew what they had. What it is, yeah, you know, they just they you know, they're just just a coincidence, is what it is. It's not there's no all right, I'm glad you know what, Why are you putting conspiracy theory?
Speaker 2: It's not conspiracy theory. I'm just glad you reached the reasonable conclusion. It's just a it's just a happenstance. And you know, and and and you know, Dusty, it was it was just time, you know, for five for five days. Well you got to get that first time, and you know that's what matters. Just get that first time in the bag. Talk to me, Talk to me, daddy. How did they do down in and Well, I'll tell you, gosh, I really was. I couldn't believe it. I mean this Tury Bowley and we had come through this stadium like I hadn't seen. The people were up. They wanted to see a being Harley. I couldn't believe it, Dusty, I gotta tell you, wait, wait, what do you think the bull thought? I was saying, Daddy with his who he is? I mean you he didn't hesitate to make sure he never worked the Armory. There has truly Armory Wall. Then fucking Jimmy Stewing on the phone, Jimmy stew what are you doing on the phone, baby, I'll be talking about the Brith Goes. Daddy, I'm asking you to elevate your game and do a Dusty that's passive aggressive about Terry Boley doing this kind of business and making his way to negotiating a world title run.
Speaker 7: Well, I just got you know, if I'm the daddy, he's the thing, baby, but the Terry Bully if he hits the problem with Terry Boulet. You know what I'm saying, the thing if you see what he's trying to do, he's trying to take things to a different level. Baby, that we're not that that that that that's going outside n w A.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying. It's a it's a territor.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 2: But what he did it he's taking under the own hands, Baby, that he wants to take that belt and take out NBA, make it own Terry Bowley promotion. Baby, trying to do Daddy, he's turned with the t B A all right, baby, Terry Bowl affociations. All right, So the baby, I gotta we gotta play it faith, Baby, we gotta play it faith. And I'm telling you right now, the best way we do things, okay, the best way we do things right now, we give people what they want, the American Bean broth the road, NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Your only thing at the time is now to call our favor in a barnette of all time. Now, I'm just saying, daddy, because you look, you look, baby, I'm concerned about the NBA. You consider out the NBA. We got Terry Bowley doing things that ain't never been done before because they shouldn't be done, right, Why why not? Why shouldn't they be done? Because Daddy, he's he's breaking traditional. Baby, Well about NBA, it's all about tradition, and that's not that we can Yes, we can evolve tradition, Baby, New traditions come and go every Christmas. There's a new tradition in the road. Half, Baby, that's what happened. But the thing is deaddy when don't break ranks like.
Speaker 8: Terry Boley, because pretty soon it's not gonna be the NWA Championship, It's gonna be the Terry Ballet Championship.
Speaker 2: The TBA Championship by t BD is more like it. I can't. I mean, the Dream immediately plugs himself in, immediately pulls rank Oh and gets the strap. I'm sorry, I just have to connect the dots.
Speaker 4: I have to.
Speaker 2: That's tremendous. I mean, that is absolutely I mean, listen, you think about you think about Dusty at that time, right, and that's what he was all about. He was all about, you know, taking advantage of that kind of stuff. He was he was all about getting ahead of somebody else that might become the top babyface. Yes, you know, and that's that's survival instinct and wrestling. But he was you know, especially you know Crocket Television. The country saw it in late eighties, mid to late eighties, particularly mid eighties when when Flair started to become more popular in those TBS studios than him, and he was a fucking basket case. He didn't know what to do when people we were cheering the flash right and the heeled mannerisms of Flair, and he starts, Dusty starts desperately wearing like fur coats on TBS, like mink fur coat to try to like out out glisten Ric Flair when he's supposed to be, you know, when the straight bunk house cowboy, you know, counter image to Ric Flair's playboy image, was supposed to be his whole bread and butter, and now here he is trying to wear like Louis Vuitton bags on TBS. It's too mud so so Dusty wasn't the only one that Terry Bullay is starting to leave in the dust. Back in Florida. We cannot forget that Bob Rup, who were on Fuller would say is the architect of this whole Knoxville exodus, even though you know, Ronnie Garvin was was double the star. Roup was in the area and in fact held Ron Fuller's belt. Ron Fuller later sued Ronnie Garvin to get back possession of the Southeastern Championship belt that he had. We'll have some fun with that a little later. But but Bob Roup too, and certainly it's going to be difficult for Hope to stick around. He you know, is he gonna go? Does he have any loyalty, any affinity for for Bob Rup, who was who was certainly around then a top guys in terms of a shooter and a trainer as well as a wrestler in Florida when he first started to break in. I don't know, I mean, fortunately for us, mister Rup not too long ago started podcast The Wrestling Stoop, and I would like to play now for you. Wrestling Stoop correct his recollection looking back on first encountering Terry bully Uh and how it all ended up as it regards their relationship and why let's say Knoxville was not was not going to be Terry Bullay's choice over Ron Fuller, and why pretty much skipping town uh seemed probably like the best decision for him during this promotional war.
Speaker 5: So one day I came out, I was getting ready to leave, and Uh, this guy, this big bond guy with long hair and wearing a tank top and beds, had a necklace of bees and bes do his wrists and came right up to my car and uh knocked on the window. I put my wonder down and says, hey man, he says, I'm going to be I'm going to be here Tuesday to work out with you. Yeah. I just talked to Eddie Graham. He's gonna he's gonna have me work out with you. And uh, uh I said, okay, uh yeah, I said, I have an idea that let me. Let me get back to you on that hang around here a minute. So I went back inside. I asked Eddie about it. I said, what's that about? And h He's said yeah, he said that guys are hippie. He said, uh, hair and everything. He said. I hate him. He said, h, you know, I want you to I want you to stress him. So uh, okay, I went back.
Speaker 2: I went back.
Speaker 5: I told Terry he had addition himself as Terry Boulet. I said, hey, uh, I just checked.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: He wants me to do is discourage you. He's not ready to give you a break of any kind. He wants me to stress the hell out of you. I said, I'm not going to be here, so if you come down here, I'm not going to be here. Well, he seemed to appreciate that he was working at Terry Dad. He was working in a band. He was a bass player in a band, and he was working there in Tampa at the time. And and over the next couple of weeks, I actually went h once. I went by myself. Another time I took my girlfriend and later became my wife, and we went out and listened to him play, and we danced a few times to his music. Another time he played in Sarasota, I went out there on a weekend night that we were we weren't wrestling. I went out and listened to him play. So, you know, I had some little association with him, and then I left. When I left Florida a few years later. A couple three years later, he had been broken into the business. Uh, and I was working. I was booking in Knoxville. I got a call from a guy named Terry Gibbs who had worked for me.
Speaker 2: And I used to talk to Terry a lot in the late nineties, right.
Speaker 5: And Terry called me and he says, hey, Bob, He said, uh, Terry, Terry Bully is looking for work. He said, he's been working out. He took a year off. He's been working out with the waist. He's enormous, you know, he's amongers. Said he look great. He said, can you book him? And I said no, I said, Terry, Uh, I said, Now, Terry was down in Tampa at the time. He took a week off. I said, Terry, do you want me to do you want me to give you your notice? He said, know, why would you do that. The only way I can hire somebody else is I have to get rid of somebody. I said, we don't have any wrestlers on it our programmed that don't work every night, so you know, if you want to, I don't have room for him, I says. What I'll try to do, though, Louis to Leette was booking pasta Cola, and so I said, what I'll do is I'll call Louis and see if Louis can get a man down there. And I did call Louis. I told him about him. Then apparently I'm not sure, but I think that he actually worked there for Louis.
Speaker 2: So Barbara doesn't even know while he's doing what he's doing in Knoxville that Terry Bulay, this guy he remembers, you know, showing mercy to when Eddie Graham wanted to stretch this hippie out of the business. Is not only working for Louis to Lett on the other side of Ron Fuller's territorial map, but he's also fucking wrestling Harley Race for the world title. And Barbrup has no idea. He didn't even know that Louis to Lay took him on. So that's even that's even more dramatic that people even within the business didn't know necessarily what Terry Bullay was doing. It's wild. So add that to the soup of the origin stories of how Terry ended up down there. You know, apparently Bob Rup was offered first DIBs with Terry Gibbs, of all people, being the intermediary that was, you know, testing the waters to see if Rupe might book this guy. And and no, he didn't really have a spot. And so he according to Bob Roup, I mean, he doesn't like pat himself on the back for this, So I feel like he kind of probably is telling the truth because I don't think he realized the significance of this. He doesn't know what Terry Blay did in the territory. He ends up referring Bolea instead to Louis Tillette, Hogan has mentioned. In prior episodes of The Khalet Hulk, Cogan and his book gives credit to superstar Billy Graham for the referral. Other times it seems to be Bob Orton that had something to do with it, or Bob Rup, I think, if I remember correctly from that episode, Ed Leslie in his book does give credit to to Bob Rupe in some way for making the connection, But I mean that's wrestling, man. Like you're just when someone becomes a big enough deal that everyone's going to ask you about them for years and years and years, you end up concocting a story that's probably sixty percent the truth, that you repeat so often that you forget where you took liberties with the truth. Just put yourself, you know, kind of in a position to not, like we talked about with Jerry Briscoe, to not be seen as someone who missed this, can't miss starr And so it's so crazy. Yeah, that's first frustrating. It's like it is you think Terry's the only one fabricating things. Fabricating is a strong word, but you know, just not caring enough to remember like who called who first? Because at the time he's a nobody, you know, why would you remember it. But now that he's so big, you're being asked about him so many times, and the truth is you weren't paying anywhere near enough attention to recall the precise details because he wasn't a big enough deal, right, So we're stuck with these stories that contradict each other about who called who first, but it's possible. It's no different than when you did under the cinemat for Rocky three, right, And it's like who actually gave Hogan the fucking phone call to come to be.
Speaker 7: On the movie exactly? And not only that, but everyone else said they were going to be in the movie first. Right, you know there's all that, Yeah, exactly. Everyone wants to take credit and everyone wants to have been there first.
Speaker 2: Well, since we're here, I mean, let's get Bob RUP's perspective on the whole hero matsuita thing. He was one voice that we didn't really include in what happened between Hogan and Metsuda, and Rupe has an interesting angle on it because he was somebody that did He gramm used in much the same way to try to discourage people they didn't think would have the heart to respect the business from coming back and trying more. And I think Bob Roop as a shooter, as a high level Olympic caliber wrestler in his own right, has a pretty interesting perspective on why you would do something like this to a young wrestler or a young hopeful.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, the one about Hu Boll Terry, whatever you want to call it. And he didn't come back right away. He stayed. He smartened up. He realized they weren't you know, he wasn't, so he came back later. But that ankle thing, that ankle thing that the Hero did with him, he did it with me too, the first thing, the first time we worked out. Uh, he did it with me and I where I'm down in the referee position, where I'm on my knees and my hands on the mat like it's an amateur U referee posis and it's called and Hero stood behind me. And then one when he to go, he dropped his knee on the back of my ankle, like on the Achilles tendon, which the bat in itself could have break the Killes tendon. Then what I turned sideways with it because in wrestling, one thing you learned to do is you go, you know, you go with the pressure. You don't go against it, you go with it. So I had I turned so they didn't hurt my ankle. He reached down, I grabbed my toe. Well, I had turned to facing by this time, I mean the face backwards. My body was between us. But he was close enough, I reached out and grabbed his hair. I struck my thumb on his eye and I didn't press hard, but I him know, if you fall up a mincle, you're going to have a different outlook, and at a very near future, if you're going to have a very different outlook on things. And he let go immediately and within five seconds he started teaching me how to hook. That was the last thing that he ever tried. That was that was like initiation, and that's what he did to hook and see if he could defend himself. Okay, and he couldn't. If you know how to defend yourself at all, you know how to avoid that when when they do that, you know what to do. If you don't know how to defend yourself, well then you get hurt. And so that's what the test was. Also there's another part to it. Terry had no value to them at the time. You know, they know they had a lot of big muscular guys that never did, you know, never did anything. But what is another test to see if he was hurt, will he come back? And so that was it was like a double test. Can you defend himself? And if he can't, if you want to come back and learn how to defend himself.
Speaker 2: And that's what was going That's what was going on. He's wrestling podcast.
Speaker 1: He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno, JP Soro.
Speaker 2: And as big as he was in seventy seven or seventy six, whatever we're talking about, he was nowhere near as big as he would be by the time. You know, Ron Fuller and Louis Tillette can't deny that this guy. You got to put this guy in front of people. Look at the size of this motherfucker. Yeah. Right, of course. It's about the Royds, brother, It's about the Royds, way before Vince McMahon Junior decided that this is what a wrestler looks like. A brother, I never did Royds, dude, I've never. I don't abuse steroids. I don't do steroids deal currently. I don't deal steroids. I certainly don't. I certainly don't inject steroids. You bock to seven a corner on that one, man, What I do? How do you take them? Then? If you don't inject them? What eat? I don't do them? So how could I What are you saying? Brother? Well, I'm saying Plan B. I'm saying since last time we were with you, when we talked about the Plan B tape, I hope that's still ringing in your head, as they call the business fraud, and it's been bringing my head every everything you fucking played it. She can't believe your ears when you when you hear it. It's like when they say when they say that, I like, I've never been in a in a legitimate match. Everything that I've done has been fraudulent. So good it's it's it's absolutely it's it's amazing. It's absolutely amazing. A little more color on that from Bob Roops podcast in terms of explaining why they did that, which I didn't really appreciate it first. So this isn't something that they're doing to counteract Ron Fuller stopping them from going independent like a sort of damicles. This was a little later. This is like nineteen eighty and they did this because the NWA had marshaled so many resources to crush them when they try to run their shows, you know, bringing in big time star power from around the country to do shows on the same night in the same city that Bob RUP's Upstart group was trying to run and just doing all kinds of things to fuck with them that they thought, according to Bob Rupe, that doing a tape like this was almost like a last ditch effort, like the last bit of leverage they possibly could have to stop the NWA power structure from fucking with them, you know, like maybe, if worse comes to worse, if we tell them there's a tape where we all say it's vague and when give it to the news, you'll back off and let us actually try to survive here running our own wrestling operation. It didn't happen, but was That was the mentality of the tape was they were all ready on an island. These guys had already failed in their attempt to break off and run opposition, so it doesn't mean the battle is over in the court room. However, of course, this goes well beyond Terry Bolea departing the Gulf Coast, but eventually, if you can believe it, Ron Fuller sues Ronnie Garvin over a lot of the fallout from this, including the fact that ron Garvin had taken that the Southeastern Belt is mentioned, and also the idea it's so convoluted and We don't need to get into all of it because it has nothing to do with bolea, but it's just too delicious that basically, like Ronnie Garvin wanted money to buy another boat, and so concocted a thing where they did like a the winner of a television tournament they used to call it the Bayliner Boat tournaments would win a boat, and he's booked to win it, and Fuller is in court having to testify about predetermining the matches. Ron Garvin used to like to tell a story that Fuller, you know, basically let him win the case and go home with the be yeah, because he didn't want to admit in court that wrestling was fake. Meanwhile, there's a great book out there called Professional Wrestling in the Law, Legal Battles from the ring to the courtroom where he pulled the filings, and Ron Fuller is totally in court saying that it was completely predetermined and that Ron Governor was booked to win the whole thing. But I just want to give you a little flavor because this is sort of like the fumes of all of this intrigue that's happening while Terry Bullay is in the territory up in Knoxville, and this is like, this is sort of like a whiff of the absurd end it all came to. This is from nineteen eighty at a Knoxville boss that sent you a clipping. I think you ought to just start reading that headline loud and proud. I think we know who is editing this paper. Oh brother, hold on, Oh should have forgot that picture. There, there we go, Judge pins fake wrestling scheme? Fake wrestling scheme? Is that redundant? Yes, it's not redundant if you have such a fucking disdain for wrestling that you have to let it drip through your headline. Read come on, put it in. Put it in right there. How about Judge Penn's wrestling scheme? Just no, no scheme gets across the idea that no, it does not, No, it does not. The word has to be in the headline, Boss, it's gotta be fake to be in the headline. It's gotta be fucking fake, your stupid fuck chancellor, Chancellor. Yeah, that's the Corederick Boss. Frederick D. McDonald today denounced from the bench what was described in his court as a fixed wrestling tournament with the winner of a luxury boat determined before the tournament. I forbid, I love this.
Speaker 7: His ruling came in a complaint brought by NWA Southeastern Wrestling Incorporated against wrestler Ronnie Garvin. Ronald Welch, who wrestles under the name ron Fuller, is a principal stockholder in Southeastern, which promotes wrestling here.
Speaker 2: Which, as we talked about, Ron Fuller absolutely did not want in the local press the disclosure that he was in fact the owner. The question is the question here is should the court to Tennessee be used to carry out contracts for fixed wrestling matches? Chancellor McDonald said, sounds good to be I'd love to spare witness to that. We don't think the court should be a part of such arrangements. The public will lose all confidence in us if we decide this case between two phony wrestlers. The public will assume we're a work, I'll say, and then the whole justice system in the whole world is gone fuck. The issue in the suit was twelve thousand dollars, which Welch said he gave to Garvin as a down payment on a twenty seven foot bay liner boat and trailer. Southeastern filed suit June sixth, nineteen seventy nine for recovery of the twelve thousand dollars from Garvin, and asked that the boat be seized for it by the court. The order was issued by the court. Evidence today showed that Southeastern entered in an agreement with Garvin in which there would be a wrestling tournament with the boat and trailer as a prize, yes and in which it was further agreed that Garvin would win the tournament and the boat. Testimonies showed that Garvin had agreed to repay the twelve thousand dollars when he had sold another boat but not sold the Headlock. Apparently, Southeastern contended when it got the court order to seize the boat, that Garvin was going to Tokyo to wrestle. Garvin's attorney argued, quote the doctrine the doctor in the Unclean hams Unclean Hands of Stone, saying Southeastern should not come to court with a complaint resulting from an illicit agreement. Chancellor McDonald said Garvin's agreement was to win the tournament and win the boat. He said the plaintiff argue that the tournament was Garvin's idea. We will leave the parties exactly where they were before the lawsuit. Chancellor McDonald said the doctrine of unclean hands applies to the plaintiff as well as the defendant. He ruled that Garvin would gain possession of the boat. I don't give a shit. Was this a w I mean, I gonna know probably what you all do is so so so what you all do is fake? All right, it doesn't exist. It's not a real thing. So I don't give a shit. Who gets what? Just fucking let this Garvin bastard take the damn boat. Judge Mischler, it was hardly the first, hardly the first. Judge Mitchler is an archetype. He's not an individual. Okay, I'm a I'm a Chancellor of this court. I do not need to be handled with fake, fake lawsuits. Okay, how do I know? I know y'all ain't gonna get together and have a big steak dinner and a big laugh about this when I'm a big done wasting the court time?
Speaker 7: How do I know you're not wasting my time? How do I know that this is all a real complaint? How do I know that I'm not being dragged into one of your bullshit wrestling starlines.
Speaker 2: You got cameras here? I don't know, but I'll tell you I will not be abused. I will not be abused. Who is that again? When they said that, oh yeah, it was the judge in the Ron Fuller Ron Garvin lawsuit? What episode the complete holl cokein episode three thousand or whatever it is? And now bailiff, excuse me? Who who do I see over there listening up against the courtroom door? Who's silhouette? Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Mister? Is that mister Bolea? Is that a Bowley over there? Is that that I heard about him? Bring him into this courtroom, sir, standing here? You can't be standing outside. He's dropping on proceedings. What business do you have before this court? And this issue?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 9: I said?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Who are you? He says, He says what. Terry says what and the judge goes what.
Speaker 5: The judge.
Speaker 2: Answer the question, mister Bola, well.
Speaker 1: What do you?
Speaker 3: What do you?
Speaker 2: What are you asking me? I'm sorry, did you not hear me?
Speaker 9: I said?
Speaker 2: Who the fuck are you? He's already gone to New York, but he comes back for this trial because he's terrified of what might be said. Brother, I'm just I'm just I just happened to be walking through. Brother. You're walking through where the build the building to the territory, territory. I'm just on my way out, Brother, I'm on my way out. I'm going to New York. Dude, No way, you're going to New York right now. You are in contempt, sir, You are in contempt of this court room. I didn't brother, I just was walking through. Dude, I was walking through. Brother. You just think you could just roll up here and just you know, well, brother, what you say? Roll up? Dude?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Brother? Who you rolling up? Dude? No? I you rolled up your dumb bitch from the bench because of the dumb bitch tremendous. Ron Fuller's like laughing. Arrest that son of a bitch and you put him in handcuffs and you get him in jail now where he.
Speaker 9: Can be pinned down?
Speaker 2: What what you'll be pinned down? He doesn't get rock getting the rest, and he cares about taking a fall because he doesn't. He's he thinks this court could very well be another put on from Ron Fuller. You know you're gonna be you, sir, are gonna be pinned down by the law. Brother, Dude, I've never bro Dude, I don't understand clearly he's looking left to right. It's like these these these like court officers have their hands on their handcuffs, on their belt. I'm just walking through. Dude. Well, when to live on the beach again, I can and Boss, the brilliant thing of it is, he would only be the first Terry to put his ear up to a courtroom door. You damn fucking right. And it all came full circle, Boss for Bob Rup and Terry bolea some time later and here he uh some parting thoughts, I guess you could say on this little extra snippet of the Bob Roop Terry Bowleio dynamic.
Speaker 5: We were there. We went out clubbing. Uh maybe later that night, or maybe it was a night before. I went out to club to get a beer and I saw him and, uh, you know, you look great, humongous. I walked up to him, you know, and like I say, I known him. I for as far as I knew, everything I'd done for him had been positive. I walked up to him to like to say hi. He just stubbed me. He was talking to some girl. He just stubbed me like I was invisible, you know, So I just turned around walked away. And I've never had any use for him ever since. I mean, you know, that's fine. You know, when I think about it, I thought that perhaps he didn't want to be remembered before he'd become a star by this time. Sure, yeah, so he didn't want to be reminded of his days when he wasn't a star.
Speaker 2: I think that's a very very key insight from Bob Rup, right, I think group, yes, it's only fair, right if you don't see a star in Terry Boleo when he before he became a star. He doesn't want to give you the satisfaction of acting like you saw that. It's funny. It's funny, like right, it's the exact opposite of those who didn't see it, you know, it's like it's ugh, it such a fucking yeah, they're also fucking phony. It's so annoying, it is. It is really annoying. And I just just delight in the fact that at some point, after hitting a big hulk ran into Bob Roup after you know, cow towing to him at the Imperial Room when he was in the band trying to get into wrestling, and now Hulk is in the position of acting like Bob Roup doesn't exist. And exactly, I think he kept a very strict and very carefully attended to tallly of people who fit that category. Did our subject to joor Terry Bulay, Absolutely he did. He is not he is not letting anyone off the hook. It was well boss, a hell of a way to make a living. As the Pensacola Journal here so adequately and aptly chronicled, we always like when we visit a new territory on the lapsed fan and get a flavor of it to pull, you know, the prototypical people come to the matches and these parts, and yeah, here are three old ladies describing why they come to this thing. And here's us asking them if they know it's fake. And here's us asking a wrestler if it's fake in the locker room and taking a picture of someone lacing their boots. In this case, Austin Idel Hogan's a foe at the time in the territory gets the honors. But as we wrap up the Alabama leg of our journey and the Alabama leg of Terry Boley's journey. It's perhaps extremely appropriate that we bring you this article from the Sports section of the Pensacola Journal on June twenty eighth, nineteen seventy nine, just as Terry Bolea was ramping up to challenge for the World Championship.
Speaker 7: Hell of a Way to Make a Living by Jerry Shreiver. I remember one time these two guys were wrestling in a car about a car about the winner would receive a new car. It was real physical, bloody match, and the winner was really battered up. After the fight, he threw himself on the hood of the car and was laying they're bleeding. I saw people go up to the car and run their fingers through the blood and lick it and then say, Ha, that's not blood. He's faking it. He's using a blood capsule or something. It really hurts these guys when you when people yell fake.
Speaker 2: Just months before, this person said the same thing in the court of law. Mister Roy welchlch professional wrestler and consultant. So Welch not run Oh sorry, Roy Welch. Sorry now Roy? Is is he a professional wrestler and a professional consultant? Or is he a professional wrestler consultant. I don't know.
Speaker 7: That's a great that's a great question. Just a consultant is like, does he consult outside of wrestling?
Speaker 2: That's the question. Tells me, probably not, But we're about to find out. Roy Welch is worried, and for good reason. In just an hour until the main event on Tuesday's professional wrestling card at the Municipal Auditorium, and Welch has learned that The Hulk, a crowd favorite who was supposed to challenge Beautiful Austin Idol for the Gulf Coast Championship, has canceled out Brother leg Injury. Brother What due to a leg injury sustained the night before. Nervously running his fingers through his shiny black hair, the man in charge of the night's festivities confronts this latest slipped gear in the pro wrestling Merry Go Round. Well, these are things that set your program back, but it can't be helped, he says, disappointedly. Welch is one of the men committed to the success of pro wrestling in Pensacola, and he feels he is just on the brink of attaining it. So he's on the brink of attaining success. Yes, apparently it's been the opposite so far, I guess okay, But there are always the setbacks, skepticism, skepticism, skepticism from sports purists, rival outlaw promoters. Yeah, sure, injuries. The crowd tonight is respectable, but many seats are given out as charity to the underprivileged, and there is always the rent. I've got to go see if I can round somebody up. I usually bring my wrestling out there with me just in case, but I didn't tonight. I might have to send somebody for it, he says. The crowd takes the announcement of the cancelation well, except for a persistent course of boo birds in the back who chant give us her money back. Yes, this veteran crowd knows that unexpected lineup changes are part of the carnival like atmosphere of pro wrestling. They also know that whoever is in charge of the entertainment tonight will come up with some behemoth for the idol to bounce off the ropes and slam onto the plywood with a banchy cry. After all, that's what they came for. Professional wrestling. It's rough and tumble, it's melodramatic, bordering on farcical. It's more authentic than some people give it credit for. It ordering on bordering on bordering on farcical. It's inconsistent. It's fun.
Speaker 7: There is money to be made, and because of that, it's a serious business and the hell of a way to make a living. Take Charlie, not his real name, but a feature on the Tuesday Night Card, a professional wrestler for thirteen plus years who has been here and back and looks it. The hairline is receding and the middrift bulge is slowly advancing on his still powerful frame. At thirty six, he's won his share of titles and now he's hoping to squeeze maybe five or eight more years out of his body. Then he wants to hang it up and go back to being a chemical salesman. Oh, this is definitely sales. This is definitely hell co good.
Speaker 2: My name's Charlie. Dude, chemicals you're talking about? Dude, I don't you know chemicals? So you know, well, it's a it's a it's a Well then what I don't I don't sail things. That's something I mean by sail is the same kind of round up chemicals that said uh got involved with after.
Speaker 7: He's just starting on his second marriage, after his hectic lifestyle finally caved in his first marriage, which lasted nineteen years. I'm gonna go different page here to continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next file. It does say the works in the top left, which I think is just hilarious and it's very funny.
Speaker 7: Traveling around all the traveling around all the time, it started to get a little aggravating, especially with this gas thing, he said, as he held tightly against his stomach. It puts a strain on a marriage trying to keep two households.
Speaker 2: What well, that's another way of saying it puts a strain on a marriage to have two wives. I guess. I guess.
Speaker 7: Surveying the crowd, which hasn't changed much over the years, he observes ninety percent of people are blood Thursday. You know, after thirteen years, you just sort of ignore them when they scream at you and holler nasty things. I just go out there to win matches and put money in my pocket. My advice is something starting out good luck. I wouldn't steer anyone away from it.
Speaker 2: Though. It gets in your blood and the more you wrestle. The more you want to wrestle, it's a hell of a way to make a living. Now, then there's Austin Idel, a sweetheart of a guy who is the top bill tonight. He uses Las Vegas cool from every pore of his granite superstructure, even though he's from Tampa and indeed that's where he was born. All some folks.
Speaker 7: A man who cultivates the image of a superstar, he is not all that arrogant, simply secure in the knowledge that he has made it as intelligent, physically, tough and disciplined as most other pro athletes. He is living somewhere in the one hundred fifty thousand dollars plus annual income bracket, yet he has virtually unrecognized outside his profession.
Speaker 2: No matter he quote worked my hide off to get where he is, and now he reaps the rewards. Everybody loves the idol. He stays flexed, actually really good twenty one in biceps. It's a very glamorous life I lead, but it's also tough metally and physically. I thrive on glimmer and glamour. I'm single and I wouldn't have it any other way. Man, I can just about pick what I want. It's hard to let that kind of thing go. And I go to Vegas about once a week, walk down the strip, play with the girls, pull a few handles. You know, there is no form, no theory to get into the top. Either you have the ability to put fannies in the seats or you don't. Everybody loves the idol, his body, the glib tongue, whatever you know, Babe. Sometimes I yearn for the media exposure that other pro athletes are getting. If I could just get on the damn Tonight Show, I know I could make it boom one shot on Johnny Carson and everybody would know the idol that maybe if Johnny quits, I can take his place. N When I quit, I'm going back to Vegas and follow and follow the sun. Finally, there is Rick Field, still trying to get out Joe Rogan today to this day. By the way, o Ustin, I will remember you saying, why doesn't Joe invite the real deal on if Hogan's going to a show and give me credit for all the gimmicks.
Speaker 7: Finally, there is Rick Fields down to the bottom of the hill, a relative youngster on his way up waiting and waiting for a shot at the top. I've been in wrestling about five years professionally, but it's been in the family for years.
Speaker 2: I got my schooling from my father. I didn't go to the AAU route like most of the guys, and it hasn't been an overnight thing. I swept floors, put up signs, took take its referee, you name it, I'd done it.
Speaker 7: I'm in this thing to win the world championship. That's my goal. That's what everybody wants. You have to keep building up wins. The main thing for me. You gotta keep building up houses so people can say, oh, you know this guy's a draw, then I'll give them the title.
Speaker 2: The main thing for me is to keep my nose clean and and keeping God in good condition. Watch and learn and something will come my way. Is it worth it? Nothing's worth it unless you love it. You gotta remember we don't get unemployment or workmen's compensation, no retirement. We have our health and our bodies. I wrestled with broken ribs, pulled muscles. I remember one time I was working on my car and the radiator blew up and scalded me. I get some second and third degrees burns on my ribs and chest. The next night I wrestled before thirty seven thousand people in the New Orleans super Dome. It was great.
Speaker 7: Roy Welch's calmer. Now a replacement has been found for the Hulk, and the show will go on as planned. But people will get their kicks, the wrestlers will pocket their earnings, and everyone will go home satisfied tonight, next week and the next fifty weeks after that, the pro wrestling Merry Go Round never stops.
Speaker 2: Everyone will pocket their earnings. That's right. How wild is that that this reporter shows up on a show that Terry just not going to make that one brother and Austin Idols left there with no opponent, yep, pretending to be the A side when the first, the first sentence of the whole article is about how the Hult couldn't make it, and people are chanting refund in the back of the building. I think I don't know, man, if my math is right. As far as when this happened, this would have been shortly after Terry Bullay made it very clear to Louis Toilllett and run Fuller that he was going to Memphis and he wasn't happy, and you know he's going to do the Harley match, but it would be after a bit of an extended absence, or at least relative to how frequently he was working a prolonged absence. So this is probably one of those leg injuries of convenience boss, if nothing else, it's being captured in this article. Yep, I imagine that. So we got a flavor of the locker room and the talent and the logistical rigamarole that went into making Gulf Coast Wrestling. We also have a little sidebar here in the fans, as promised. So let's get a little bit more acquainted with the vox popular eye of Gulf Coast. Oh yes, indeed, let me go back here. Got start from the beginning here because that was the other one too, right, starts the yeah for fan attics. It gets rid of their frustration. They come to the matches because they want to blow off some steam, that's right. The large woman in the lavender tent dress was seated front row center in the for the Tuesday Night wrestling card. She frequently was up and out of her out of her chair during every match, trying her darnedess to call the referees attention to the dirty work going on behind his back. Oh damn bad wrestlers them, those main ones, disdained. Barbara Williamson referred to the mass Gladiator's tag team the obvious bad guys.
Speaker 7: Wrestlings are sparked. They shouldn't hurt one another. Oh she's my mom, This is my mom.
Speaker 2: Every region has one. Yep, she exclaimed, still rot up over the bloodshed of the previous match. Williamson of Pensacola was just one enthusiast among the large crowd at the Municipal Auditorium where professional wrestling packs the men every Tuesday night. I do this every week. I got carried away during Williamson said during one of her calmer moments between falls. A mother of eight, she had three of her younger children in tow I've been coming to the wrestling matches off and on. Where did she have the rest of the hospital. I hope ah.
Speaker 7: I just pictured a fucking carving toad by yeah, and I watched it on TV whenever it down. She said her favorite wrestler is the Hulk and almost unanimous favorite with the women in the audience. Listen to that, you've never seen him, she asked.
Speaker 2: In surprise. He's just big. He has got big shoulders, she said, cupping her hands over above her own. And he's good looking, and in plain English, he's a gentleman a wrestling in plain English. I thought she was gonna say he's hot, you know, I know, right, So hey, there there goes my whole theory that no one ever saw Terry Bulea as a sex symbol. Ever, Uh huh, this woman did. And she's packing it in, Barbara Williamson, She fucking she loves it. She needs it. Is that her with the extra larch coke in her hand? I think so, yes, it is? And is Barbara Williams look at her, Oh my god, looks she looks on my aunt Martha. She looks like she's in for a scump, like a legit character. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, a wrestler who's a gentleman. The true terms seem to conflict, so Williamson explained, he's so considering it. If someone gets hurt in the ring, he'll come out and help him. As the lights went down and the next match was introduced, Williamson pointed to the Platinum Blonde entering the ring, Austin idel watch this guy, she said. He thinks he's great, but he's too conceited. He bleaches his hair.
Speaker 2: I hate to break it to you. Yeah right, Barbara, but uh so does the Hulk. My lady Idols seem to be getting into early trouble with Ron Slinker, his behemoth of an opponent. The flashy blonde was down on his knees, begging Slinker for mercy. I am that.
Speaker 7: I imagine some of this is fake, Williamson conceded her eyes. All they do it just to get the fans going, but I still enjoy it. The whole family enjoys that. It gets rid of frustrations. All this hollering and carrying on takes it all out of you. The weekly wrestling is something she can get truly involved in, keeping up with the flamboyant personalities, the grudge matches, the title contenders. If you go to a movie, you go to it and it's over with. But this is every week. Williamson said, So it's like television then, right, Yeah, who's ever heard of that format?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right. Surveying the crowd, the wrestling fans seem to span the generation gap. Two slender girls from Mobile one a frosted blonde. The other brunette positioned themselves early in seats on the aisle right next to the wrestler's entrance. They were dressed to kill, as a male observer put it, decked out in tight blue jeans.
Speaker 7: Sleeky bleff I think we know I they're there. Yeah, exactly, and an over abundance of eye makeup. They would blend right in and at a rock concert, but among the Tuesday night wrestling crowd, they stood out. The girls sat sipping cokes and snorting coke and throwing occasional anxious glances over their shoulders to the dressing room entrance as they answered questions.
Speaker 2: Imagine slipping that in the article to see if the editor noticed sipping and snorting coke? Yes, can I just take a second? Two boss, if you don't mind. Yes, Yes, we don't talk enough about this. This is a Tuesday night. Yes, they went to work and they're going to work. Yes, not always the weekend, like you said, it's right. Can you imagine being in a routine in your life? Ever, as long as we've been wrestling fans wherever, there's a school night every week where you go to the matches. I would I would, I would have lost my mind as every week. I would have loved it. Such a different experience of pro wrestling than we got to have. Yep, yep, Oh, it'd be fucking amazing. I used to come all the time. Yeah, I know, and then you had eight kids, said Robin Waltman, seventeen. But I've just started to coming here again. She and her friend have made the hours drive every week for the past five weeks. We had to use my daddy's call, she said, but he doesn't mind as long as we feel it up. A referee for the night's program who used to date Waltman's sister, introduce them to their family their favorite wrestlers. He put in a good wood for me. Oh, Waltman said, with a giggle. The girls were hoping for a brief chat with one of them when the competitors came to the dressing room door to watch the match is preceding their own. It's more interesting when you know the guys, said Waltman. You don't want to get you don't. You don't want them to get hurt. Last week, a blonde hair dude, one of her favorites, came out to the ring came out of the Ring of Redhead all bloody. I didn't want to watch, but she did along with the rest of the crowd, because blood and guts time is the most exciting time for the fans. Yes, I get excited about this. Oh my god, it really makes me mad when the bad guys beat up on the good guys. I tell you what, you don't want to be around when I get that excited. Oh my arms, my arms, a swinging, a holler, and I slap whoever's next to me. What we're slapping to fill her up? What exactly?
Speaker 7: Waltman's companion, eighteen year old Kathy Welch, nodded in agreement, having been on the receiving end of her of her friend's excitement more than once eighteen ye but she's been lucky to get away with just a few bruises. One wrestling fan was let fortunate. A few months ago. I threw a coke on a guy and a mobile, Waltman said, with a grin. I didn't mean to, but I get too excited. I guess the cup just flew out of my hand. I didn't soak him, but share got him wet.
Speaker 2: They found a fucking gem in this crowd. Jesus Christ, she's fucking money. Well, Jo seemed a bit more reserved, but the whole thing acknowledged that some of the action in the ring is fake. Again, go to the arena and just ask these people if they know it's fake. Please come back with quotes. Yeah, most of it is sat up, but it's still a lot fun, she said. I sit around and watch the people. It's really fun. They go crazy. Among the more passive spectators was Eric Chaffin, an eight year old clad in a Superman T shirt clutching his autograph book Bigpen and thirty one Cents, was at the wrestling matches for only the second time. He paused in the midst of a dash to the dressing room door to catch a retreating wrestler. I've only got two autograss but I want them all, he said enthusiastically.
Speaker 9: I tell you secret, I start backstage to get auto grasps.
Speaker 7: As the crowd roared to the action in the ring, Eric struck his fingers in his ears. But though it hurts my ears, he explained, nevertheless, he enjoys watching the sport. I like it when they have to double team matches and I like it when the Hawk jumps in the ring.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm jumping. I'm not jumping, dude. I wonder what he meant when the Hulk jumps in the ring. He wants me to make a safe Yeah. Would he want to join them when he gets bigger?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 2: Huh, he said with conviction.
Speaker 9: I'm not going.
Speaker 2: I'm not getting punch in the nose. But I might join the fire department square and burn my ass off. What the doesn't ask? No, no, it doesn't say that. But I might join the fire.
Speaker 7: Department and squad bloring boring, yep, Annie made Lucer of Pensacola, who gave her age as seventy one.
Speaker 2: I gave her age as you know, another way of writing that is just seventy one. Yeah, right, exactly. But apparently someone doesn't believe that she's save one, but he believes that other girl's eighteen.
Speaker 7: Interesting exactly was that with her personal lap and her cane by her side.
Speaker 9: You're not seventy one, you're seventy, Saven.
Speaker 7: Interjected her companion, Katie Goldsby, also Pensacola.
Speaker 2: A couple of tricks from the wrestlers.
Speaker 7: Yeah right, we identified herself as being seventy six and soon to be seventy seven.
Speaker 2: I love what I love wrestling, said Lucer quietly. I'm managining. I've been coming to see it for ten to twelve years. I get so nervous before man, she's she continued, holding up her hand to show how it was shaking. I'm afraid those we'll get all broken out right, but I'll get over it.
Speaker 7: It doesn't make me nervous, her friend said with pep, I've seen it all happen there. As the next match got underway, Goldsby bounced on the edge of her seat, clapping and laughing, while Lucer sat calmly. I couldn't tell you if they were hurting each other, but it looks like they some that they come up hurt sometimes, that's the idea. I couldn't tell you if they're hurting each other, but it looks like they come up hurt sometimes, said Lucer. She leaned over and spoke confidently, pointing to the masked man in the ring. He pulled something out of his pocket.
Speaker 2: Right sure enough, the.
Speaker 7: Gladiator had hidden something hard, an illegal puller, in his knee pad, and he proceeded to mangle his opponent using unfair using this unfair advantage. But the good guy's triumphed in a wild and wooly finish.
Speaker 2: I that's why, that's why I like about this, said the sprightly Goldsby.
Speaker 9: I just like anything that's exciting, Just like that was.
Speaker 2: It looked like it would.
Speaker 9: Turn out one way, and it turned out the other way.
Speaker 2: Luca's thirty seven year old daughter walked over to see if her mother wanted a hot dog. A hardcore wrestling fan, Carol Margallis and her husband often drive to Dothan for the wrestling in addition to catching the weekly event in Pensacola. It is a good, clean sport, Margallis said, and it's exciting. You never know what will happen next. Some of it's put on, some of it, but sometimes the wrestlers get mad and go to it. Like last week when the Hulk got hurt. That was real blood. I tasted it myself. I rubbed it all over my pussy because I love the Hulk. This isn't an amazing He's not even on the show, and every single quote is about the Hulk. He was ninety four, remember, no shit. I know this guy's over like a motherfucker and as a beloved babyface. Yep, exactly, exactly. He is already the only guy anybody cares about. It's amazing. Yep. The daughter was suffering from a cold, which impaired her hollering ability. Fortunately we don't have that problem. Yes, you damn right. I have to admit. It takes with the thut out of it not being able to holler. She said.
Speaker 7: She takes her wrestling seriously, having been a student of it since about the age of thirteen. I get excited, but I try to control it, she said, nowt to do. About six weeks ago, there was a boy who got so excited he had a heart attack and died right here, just sixty years old. Margolis said, shaking her head at in amazement. It was when the Hulk was wrestling.
Speaker 2: Although the tragedy, Although the tragedy, Although that tragedy, plus another story she related about an older man suffering a stroke and dying on the spot at a match, seemed to have shaken her up and hasn't dimmed her enthusiasm. I love it as long as I could come. I'll be here, excuse me, And that's as long as I come in the morning.
Speaker 7: I get off, I'll be here and then seem not And that seems to sum up the spirit of the wrestling fans.
Speaker 2: Damn, oh god, that's fucking funny. I just yeah, I mean, it's it's all there. I mean, that's that's pretty much the story of the territory. That's the story of the people that Hulk so appealed to, so appealed to from the very very beginning. And it's it's really too much to handle to think that one of those people that you were just reading about Boss would later be sitting in front of their televisions in nineteen eighty four and see that guy that they remember. Yeh be Madison Square Garden Toast of the Town MTV. What a legited position to be in, Oh for sure. So, as mentioned, Bob Armstrong is making his way back into the territory. He was kind of in and out. This will be relevant when we talk about how Hulk's final days and the territory went. So, you know, a couple of weeks before he wrestled Harley, this appeared in the Press Register. Professional Wrestling takes place Wednesday, Mobile's Expo haul opening bell sounding eight thirty pm in the main event. Popular Bob Armstrong returns to Mobile to challenge for the Gulf Coast Wrestling Championship. He'll meet the current champion, Austin Idl. Terry the Hulk Boulder beat Idle last week, but it was on a disqualification and the title cannot change hands on that kind of decision. The King of the Cobra Hold from Atlanta makes his first appearance in the city, taking on Terry Latham. The bonus money in this match will be a one thousand dollars and more details. Doors open at seven pm. How about this From the Mobile Register of June twenty seventh, nineteen seventy nine. A star Studed card will be featured Wednesday night when wrestling is held at Expo Hall, Bell time eight thirty main event Gulf Coast Championship match sending Austin Idl the champion against challenger Bob Armstrong, a great favorite in Mobile. I do wonder and Ron doesn't knock about this if maybe Bob Armstrong's returned to the territory was accelerated by word coming through that Terry Boulder wasn't long for the area. They seem to be a coincident. Things that are happening here. In a thousand dollars match, the King of the Cobra Hold from Atlanta will take on Terry to Latham. If during the bat Latham can break out of the Cobra hold at any time, he will win the one thousand dollars. And in a five hundred dollars half the price challenge match, Terry the Hulk Boulder will battle Herb Calvert. That's definitely a step down. That's definitely the match you booked Terry. Then after he tells who he's leaving yep. If Culvert wins, he picks up the five hundred dollars offered in Boulder's challenge. About this from the Mobile Press. June twenty seventh, Austin Idol, the Gulf Coast Champion, will meet Bob Armstrong in a title bout to highlight Tonight's wrestling program at Mobile's Expo Hall. Other matches on the card, which starts at eight thirty, will have the Superstar taking on Terry Latham, Terry Boulder battling Herb Calvert, the Gladiator screting off with Ron Slinker, Rickey Fields meeting Eddie Sullivan, and Peter Bonet tangling with Roy Welch. Here's a nice print ad Wednesday ex bohon Gulf Coast titled out It'll be Bomb Armstrong versus Austin Idol, King of the Cobra Hold meets Terry Latham. That is a picture of Ox Baker, but it does not say Ox Baker, so I don't know what that's about. That's fucking wacky. There's the five hundred dollars challenge. Instead of being referred to as Terry Boulder as he is in the print article, in this ad, he's still referred to as the l Hulk El Hulk. That's exactly right. Let's fast forward a bit here. It's a Pensacola and it's actually Panama City, Florida. This is June twenty eighth. Idol defends wrestling title Austin Idol, who bills himself is the world's highest paid wrestler. We'll defend his Gulf Coast back in their Gulf Coast Southeastern Championship Belt against Ron Slinger tonight at bowl Are Wrestling Arena. Starting time of the program has been changed to eight thirty PM. Terry the Hulk the Hulk in parenthesis this time. Boulder six foot six, two hundred ninety five pound giant will wressell Herb Calvert, who has challenged everybody within shooting distance. Pardon me shouting distance. Just want to see if you were paying attention there, brother. The Simoons will take on Terry Latham. What we'll take will take on the Infernos. Rather in a tag team battle, Terry Latham will wrestle Letty Sullivan and Rickey Fields will face the newcomer Pierre Billy Spears, who has managed first one tag team and then another, has fallen out with his latest proteges. So it's Splitsville between the Samoans and Billy Spears Boss. That's big news down a Gulf coast. Big news. That's absolutely big news. Now finds himself. The article reads, in the unemployed ranks. Wow, he will be on hand tonight to get another team or wrestler to manage. So that's presumptuous intrigued down there as Austin Idol starts to take kind of I don't know, some more top billing more than anything else. What does become of Billy Spears boss? Let's take a look at this nineteen seventy nine July twenty sixth article. This appeared in the News Herald, Northwest Florida's Watchful newspaper. I don't know what this is about, but it sounds like we got some caf is abe into the piz apern. Mister unemployed is getting a little death in down in golf coaches. Wrestler charged in case. Billy Spears, a well known professional wrestler, was arrested Thursday afternoon for allegedly hiring an undercovered deputy sheriff to have a fellow wrestler named Sheriff Tullus Easterling, said Spears, whose real name is William Fletcher Spearman, thirty seven of two hundred and two oh one Pensacola Beach Road Golf Breeze, paid the deputy one hundred.
Speaker 7: And fifty dollars in cash and told him that he and unnamed associates wanted wrestler Austin Idel beaten severely enough to be unable to work.
Speaker 2: I do not know how to interpret this article. I don't know either. I mean, his full addresses in there, his real name is in there. I mean, did they work an angle and just the cops arrested him like they took it seriously. I don't know. Maybe did he really? I mean, Austin Idel had a ton of enemies, so most people hated the fucking guy. Did he really? Maybe try and get someone to fuck him up? I don't know, Billy, I don't know. What do you say? Spears?
Speaker 7: Spears, Ashling said, agreed to pay the undercover deputy two hundred dollars more after the attack on Idol. According to the sheriff, Spears specifically mentioned breaking one of Idol's arms or legs and damaging his face. Both Spears and Idol were scheduled to wrestle in Panama City Thursday night, not necessarily against each other. Spears, who will appear in county court today, was being held to the county jail late Thursday and missed the match. Easter Link said Spears is charged under a Florida law making it illegal for a person to solicit or conspire with someone to commit an offense. Spears is charged with conspiras aspiring to commit an aggravated assault and could face up to five years in state prison. The wrestler was arrested at six pm and the Panama City Mall parking lot moments after allegedly.
Speaker 2: Giving the cash to the deputy. I love it. That sounds somewhat legit. I love it. I love the fact that I can't tell. Yeah, me too, I mean, what the fuck is going on here? Yeah? William? Are you that on here? Bill? Are you that forlorn about losing the Hulk as a client? Billy spears action continues. Go over to this Southern Exposure article here, Boss. This is from a magazine nineteen seventy nine, October First Together. Just as Terry the Hulk Boulder decides to split, they run a full glossy article here. You can scroll up from probably what appears to you until you see Terry Boulder with his mushroom cloud chest here and a picture of Ox Baker there at the top. Southern Exposure Tonight the Hulk versus Ox Baker? Can you reforce the quote from professional wrestling fan Mike Broughton right there in the poll quote from the Tomka Alabama.
Speaker 7: From Tatanka Alabama's or you said, That's what I said? Yes, I love action, I love fighting. I just say big enough. If I was, I'd be a mad with him. I believe it's mostly fake.
Speaker 2: About seventy five percent they get mad at each other every once in a while, but I think a lot of it is strictly put on. But I just like the action, so just to see him get whipped the bad ones. I'm here every week. This is my reserved seat right here. This article originally appearing in Southern Exposure, volume seven, number three. I love action, I love fighting, Mike said, eightline. Dothan. This is the Wiregrass region, gently rolling farmland with sandy soil and a tropical sun. The Gulf of Mexico is only ninety miles away. Peanuts are the main crop, and the National Peanut Festival. Did you know this, boss? The National Peanut Festival is in Dothan. Yes, we talked about it actually as we did. Good thing and when I good memory, Yep, when I when I looked up Dothan on Wikipedia, that's when we're going to remember. That's when we're going. Yep, that's right, exactly. Every fall many of the regions people still make their living farming, and on Friday nights they may come into town to the Houston County Farm Center for an evening of entertainment. The center is a giant barn, windowless, unair conditioned, and hot on two sides, banks of concrete bleachers reach to the roof. The center of the arena is open with a dull red dirt floor modeled by tobacco spit and spilled cokes and littered with cigarette butts and peanut holls. A layer of blue smoke drifts across the room. Why is the smoke blue? Several rows of folding metal chairs are arranged in a square out in the dirt floor. As much of the setting is drab concrete, dirt and metal, all the color is concentrated in the middle of the arena and a wrestling ring of blue canvas and red, white and blue ropes brilliantly lighted by a row of television lamps red white and blue ropes boss from the very beginning for Terry bullamb Wow. For eighteen years, the farmers from the Dothan area have been coming to this ring on Friday nights to watch professional wrestling. In the years before that, reaching back to the nineteen thirties, they came to older arenas part athletic competition, in part soap proper wrestling is the honest, yeah, really early, way to really early to be making that connection. Pro wrestling is the only sport many of these fans know to our point earlier, and they are intensely loyal and enthusiastic. The Farm Center will see about five thousand fans, and on a May night earlier this year, fifteen hundred more who wanted in to see the Andre the Giant seven four, four hundred and eighty five pounds were turned away at the door by fire marshals. I wonder who his opponent was that night, bomm The fans had come to that night to cheer Andre, who some call the Gentle Giant because he is a good guy and the wrestling ring, good and eveler are distinct, and the fans pour into the arena to cheer the good guys in a jeer and curse the back ones. Generalizations are dangerous at MISS Wrestling promoter Dick Stein, born of Montgomery, but quote, it is mostly your blacks and your poor whites who come out here wow. On a given night, the audience may include a handful of white collar types such as Houston County Probate Judge R. J. Stembridge, a front row regular, and the two women from Panama City, Florida, who drive up every Friday night come in the ringside wearing evening dresses check into the motel where some of the wrestler's study and spend center a poolside chatting with the behinders who were pounding opponents in the ring the night before and pounding them in the hotel the night before. Ring rats getting pounded breathlessly, full mount.
Speaker 9: They're all whore.
Speaker 2: You open the fucking hotel door and it looks like someone's drilling for oil. That is that a wrestler? Is that a wrestler mounted on a ring rat? Or is that an oil? Derek? You getting that ass, Larry. These are exceptions, and the average wrestling crowd is made up of the kind of working keybom whose peopbops in the parking lot where bumper stickers with messages such as I fight poverty, I work BROTHERER what. Dothan's fans are probably typical in these respects, and nationally millions more share their passion. The National Wrestling Alliance claims that for the six years from nineteen seventy two to nineteen seventy seven, professional wrestling drew two hundred and nineteen million paying customers, and that same period, the NABA says college football drew one hundred ninety eight million, Major League Baseball one hundred ninety five million, Pro football eighty three eighty three million, and basketball fifty seven million. The wrestling season, of course, is fifty two weeks long. I'm sorry what I know. I mean also, you know it's kind of funny, I mean, taking consideration this though. Okay, professional wrestling is going every week. Yes, okay. College football has like a couple months in the season. That's why they draw more people exactly the wrestling season. Our season never ends. Matches are promoting countless towns and cities so small other sports would never give them a second thought. And estimated sixty percent of the national attendance is in the South and arena's like dopans. The price of an average wrestling ticket is four dollars, and the annual paid gate for the industry is estimated between one hundred and million and one hundred and fifty million. Whether sport or entertainment. Wow, this guy's progressive with the word choice here. Professional wrestling is big business. It is also a closed business in many ways of family business. At one time, promoters in almost every city in North Alabama and Tennessee were related by blood or marriage, and you don't say at Many of the wrestlers and promoters active today got into the business through their families or in laws. Dick Steinborn, for example, is the son of Milo Steinborn, who was a living legend in the wrestling world. A German, Milo went to see as a young boy and was in Australia in World War One began. He was interned there with other German nationals and a prisoner of war camp. There was nothing else to do, so the men organized themselves in a prison intramurals. Every day, the prisoners wrestled and lifted weights. When the war was over and Milo Steinborn was released, he was a perfectly proportioned and perfectly developed young man of tremendous strength. In nineteen twenty, he stowed away on a ship for New York City and eventually made his way to Philadelphia, penniless and friendless. In Philly, one day, Milo visited a gym where a weightlifting contest was in progress. Brother Milo realized he had been picking up more weight in the pow camp than these world champions were handling, so he entered the competition and astounded the other lifters, the spectators, and the press, which had a field Day with the man off the streets with the superhuman strength. Sounds like Terry Bowley to me, I don't know. Yep, yep, Milos Steinborn was discovered. We go through the twenties, we go through promoters hitting new markets. We go through through Milo having two sons, with Vivian Henry and Dick Steinborn. We talk about Dick being the son who loved wrestling, the stink and the sweat of filthy dressing rooms, and then we quote Ox Baker, God help us, who says the following. A wrestling fan is not like a football fan. They are more vicious, more sadistic. They want to see the bad guys out there, ranning and raving. They won't come to see anything else. You can have the NCAA finals and college wrestling and you can't even get a crowd. It won't even make the papers. In most places. People want action, and we're professionals. We're geared to it, so we give it to them. When there's blood out there, it's real blood. That is something they could say, that's a funny one. That is something they could say. Yep, they could say that. I didn't say how it was drawn, but it's our blood. I've had teeth knocked out, my knees are boogered up, my wrist has been broken. But when there's blood out there, it's real blood. It's our blood. I've taken razors and just running across my fast Wait, you said, what again? Stick take?
Speaker 7: I take rusty metal and I stick it in my face to give you blood.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do.
Speaker 2: How does that make you feel? Well? Still, Baker acknowledges that there are limits to the slugging wrestlers can do to one another night after night. We do have agreement amongst ourselves. This is an interesting one. Wow, this is Bot Baker talking. Wrestlers know they have to restrain themselves. Wrestlers say this means not that matches are pre arranged and rehearsed, but that to fit the schedule and to please the crowd, the wrestling may be mixed with soap opera. Quote. Say we're on TV and it's an hour program. Now I can beat my opponent in forty five seconds, but the promoter may tell me, okay, ox, I need seven minutes, So I'll entertain the people for seven minutes before I put the man down. It's a good one. Wrestlers also have an incentive to win consistently and to build up a reputation because their earnings depend on it. A wrestler who can do preliminary bouts every night may earn as much as forty thousand dollars a year if he is willing to travel enough, but a main event wrestler like Ox Baker will earn three to three hundred to seven hundred dollars for fifteen minutes of work at the Houston County farm Center before a bigger crowd is evenings, pay may run as high as two grand. It is the money, Baker says, that is in the back of every wrestler's mind when all the ranting and raving and posturing for the crowd has ended. That's why wrestlers don't get tough together after matches. We're like except you, Oxy, according to ed Leslie, were fucking pal around with Terry Bullay and the wide open public. We're like Magawity challenge coming at each other, and the fans wouldn't understand it if they saw us later being friendly. At the farm Center, for example, there are two dressing rooms with the word white painted out but still visible over the door to each Wow look at that hadn't been too long since segregation there, boss, huh, I guess, oh yeah. The word white still. And the good guys use one and the bad guys use the other. The wrestlers who stay at the sherit and motor in and doth and I'll take rooms on the same wing. But a good guy generally will associate only with other wrestlers of the same image. Some wrestlers then work out and stay in shape and try to get stronger so they can be more effective in the ring and at the bank. Some work out because they like it. Back at Gary's gym, Steinborn's face is twisted with pain as he finishes a set of reps and leaps up. The body wants it. The body says thank you every time you do it. The body loves it. He says wow. And Jesse Ventura isn't even in the territory yet. Across are you ready for this? I want you to read this, okay, across the room, Terry the Hulk Boulder Bold are by the way, not like he's actually spells it is in pain too. He's already in pain. He's in pain. He is sitting on a bench with his arms on a little padded shelf built for curling. Terry has reached the sixth of ten repetitions in his set of curls, and he is almost crying in the effort to finish. Wrestler Ron Slinker, Boulder's friend and road roommate, is counting, yelling encouragement, and standing ready to take the weight if needed. Weightlifting can be done to increase strength to or to increase what bodybuilders call definition or the prominent appearance of the muscles. Boulder does a little bit of both. Steinborn's chest, arms and thighs ripple with hardness and power, but Boulders body bulges and swells with knots of muscle. During his workout, Boulder constantly watches himself in the mirrors which lines the gymnasium walls. He flexes his great tan brother, he noticed dude tanned body and studies at deciding which exercise he needs to do to next next to bring out some muscle not quite as defined as the rest. His body and his ring nickname the Hulk, are Boulder's trademarks, and they have made him the crowd favored and a main event wrestler in only four years. The sign outside the farm Castle flashes with his name Center Farm Center flashes with his name tonight. The Hulk versus ox Baker Terry is six' three and weighs three hundred. Pounds his blonde hair's shoulder, length and he wears a sweeping. Mustache the hair on his chest is shaved into a geometric, pattern which tapers to a point and disappears into his wrestling. Trunks what what are? You geometric? Power what's going? On is a geometric Pat what are you talking? About you telling my thermos shaped? Cock?
Speaker 7: Brother in the arena before his, Matches terrible stand in the corridor near the dress, rooms surrounded by young, women some of them girls, really who flirt with him and who sometimes reach out furtively to stroke the muscles in his arms and back and.
Speaker 2: Crotch young girls come up and, say how CAN i marry a? Wrestler they think the wrestlers are, Gods they really, do Says Sheila. Steinborn you wonder if your husband pays attention when these women get dressed up in their son to best week after week and sit at ringside hoping to be. Noticed but that's just part of the. Business the older guys are used to. It it's nothing to, Them so they let the young guys get the. Glory but the ones who are just getting in the business sometimes it goes to their. Heads you wonder how well they can handle. It wrestling wives must also cope with the pressures of frequent moves and the regular absences of their, husbands sometimes as much as four or five days a. Week the wives of athletes and other sports, baseball for, example frequently band together for. Support but miss stein now that's not going to happen with wrestling, wives no. Way Miss steinborne says that rarely happens with the wives of. Wrestlers so they outline so much of the rigors of the, road despite the fact that these guys barely have to travel anywhere between towns relative to what the business is about to. Become three nights, later In, Montgomery calvert will demolish two more challengers and progrest the wrong, slinker a crowd favorite will show up at ringside with five hundred dollars of his own, money Asking calvert why if he's so tough he won't take on another. Wrestler but that's In montgomery and doth and three. Challengers despite the ease with which they are defeated or congratulated by others in the. Crowd Joey matthews joins his buddies in the, stands and, one grinning, broadly speaks of, hell, boy why didn't you call. Me i'd have thrown you my knife or pistol or. Something. Shit we could have used that five hundred dollars in the race, car could have bought a new. Radiator you're gonna try him again next. Week i'm seriously considering, It joey, Says, Well i'll work you out all week so you'll be in shape this.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 2: Boy, Shit i'm thinking about trying that mother. MYSELF i like the the s bombs in. Here that's this is a real fucking uh. Magazine. Yep so they go, through you, know kind of the promotional structure of, things and how the matchmaker will try to bring in outside wrestlers Like Ox baker because of his size and strength and why he's well. KNOWN i was not the best looking guy in the. World, see so the fans were going to dislike me from the, beginning AND i figured why not take advantage of. It so he shaved his, head grew a, mustache which makes him look even, fiercer and he cultivated an image as a. Killer AND i noticed how through all this and all the descriptions Of Terry boulegh And, boulder he's not interviewed at. All he doesn't have a word to. Write he's not. There he's not. There baker probably couldn't change his image if he wanted, to because it is so well set in the minds of the. Fans melan frightening and he's. Frightening, yeah good luck ever being anything but a fucking killer with that look on your. Face Melanie kaepner Of daleville is sixty seven and has been in an institution and in an. Institution she has been an institution at The Dothan arena for two. Decades in an institution at The Dothan, arena she Gives Ox backer howl from the minute he enters the. Arena she gets up from a ringside, seat walks right next to the, ropes Calling baker profane names names she would never order outside this arena until he over the ropes and shakes this giant fist at. Her the site is almost, comical the huge man towering over the little white haired. Women, Later Miss kaepner is telling some other people what she thinks Of Oz. Baker you, know he's killed two. Men she, says, Yes terry is about to kill his future In, alabama but not before making these. Articles this is The News, Herald Panama. City this is flash forwarding all the way To october, now so there's basically like a period between the race match and the fall Where boulder kind of disappears and works primarily In, memphis which is the next leg of our journey here on The Complete hulk. Cogin but By october he's back around and articles like this are. Running Wrestling Slate, HIT a ten round boxing bout Between Eddie mansfield And Kevin sullivan will feature tonight's professional wrestling card At Bowl Air Wrestling. Arena the two wrestlers have a feud going and decided to settle it by donning. Gloves each will have a second in his. Corner the main event will Pitt Owk's baker against the HEF D terry The Hulk, boulder who is six six and weighs two Hundred now he's two hundred eighty five pounds? Boss what was he? Last? Yet he's? ALL i, mean he's he was three hundred. Pounds he was north of. Three, Yeah baker has had things his own way here in The hull copes to change that and a special tag team, event The assassins will team up Against Roy welch And Jerry. Stubbs the opening matches EIGHT pm pits The hunter against Newcomer. Billiteo no idea who that?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: So what is the? Name? Beltio B I L L I T.
Speaker 9: O i don't.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah i've never heard of that. One no. Clue There's. Nolitio There's Terry bolidio right there with The now he's got rid of the single at now look at. Him he's got the chest here, going but he's got the straight. Tights Sunday Night southeast title match The Hulk champ sixty, seven three hundred. Pounds now he's three hundred pounds, First Ox baker coming to The Municipal. Auditorium. Wow ten rounds of boxing Between sullivan And mansfield on the car is. Well now by this, point as you flash forward Here boss To october thirty, first nineteen seventy, nine thing gets things get very confusing because to Hear Ron fuller tell at a big part of the Reason Terry bolea bolted From memphis was because he wasn't belted in the territory and he took that is something that was significant and something that if this promotion had a future in mind for, him they would have given a belt a long time. Ago so we leaves, yeh according To Ron fuller's kind of chronology of, things and admittedly he may talk more about the fall as the year goes on in his. Podcast but all of a, sudden not only Is Terry boleya back In southeastern but he is The Golf Coast. Champion let's read this article here From halloween of seventy nine in The Press. Register hulk defends wrestling title Against Professor Toro tanaka and, yes one Word saka is one word Lowercase Tanaka. Tartonaka oh my. God Professor Torotonaka wrestling returns To mobile for the first time Since Hurricane Frederick wednesday night of The Expo Hall. Wow bell time is eight. Pm maybe that's why they weren't. Shows Hurricane frederick wrecked the whole fucking. Area there we.
Speaker 10: Go THE Huk Golf Coast champion will Be Professor. Taratanaka in the main, Event Taratanaka googles for the title against the six seven three Pound hulk and a special six man challenge about with a no disqualification rule of. Effect The assassin And Tom shaft Meet Jerry, Stubbs Barb armstrong And Robert fuller in a single. Feature Eddie, mansfield who has come a long way and the wrestling, world will Meet Kevin. Sullivan Jimmy, golden who hasn't been In mobile for a, while will meet the Super, pro And Norville austin Meets Bob. Owen's Roy welch Meets Troy graham in a one fall. About Expo hall opens at six thirty.
Speaker 2: Pm my, God So Toro tanaka is in the territory with one, name never seen anything like, it and there he is The Hulk Gulf Coast, champion smiling with the with The Terry bulaya, hair with the chest hair going the mushroom cloud look ye and, Yes Hurricane frederick was vicious just looking it. Up now called one of the most destructive storms ever Hit alabama on The Central Gulf, coast made Landfill september of that. Year over ninety percent Of mobile lost, power no shit some for. Weeks it's sort of like a Before frederick and After frederick thing for folks from that. Area twelve on the death toll two point three billion dollars in nineteen seventy nineteen seventy nine dollars in. Damage that's, catastrophic to say the very, least and just just threw everything into a. Tizzy so we'll see if The hulkster can get the area back on its. Feet there it Is Gulf Coast Title, Match Wrestling Expo, hall EIGHT, Pm Gulf Coast Title match The Hulk champion Versus Professor Toro. Tanaka now again to my point on an earlier, episode remember HOW i was saying that Those bible like title match histories never Had hulk winning this belt or anything like. That, YEAH i don't know who he want it. From he must have want it From Austin, idol because the last thing the newspaper clippings told us Was hulk Beat Austin idol in a non title, match and that was pissed him. Off, honestly that must have. Been it's not Unlike awkwinkle in eighty. Three, yeah, YEAH i. Know it's seriously the same type of thing into a situation where his reign is supposed to begin and they get cute with, it and pretty soon he wants to fucking. LEAVE i, mean you, know can you blame? Him you, know he wants he wants to win a fucking world title and there and they're denying. Him there's wrestling set tonight at Ex Bo. Hall wrestling comes back To Mobile wednesday night At Expo, hall with the starting time set for eight. Pm mobile promoters have strived to Bring mobile fans a top notch card and. Wrestling due To Hurricane frederick has been absent From mobile for over two, months but it's set to. Return The Halt Gulf Coast wrestling title holder puts up his belt against the challenge Of professor all In caps all In Caps professor Towards naka in a title, match with both men battling for the coveted. Championship in a special challenge, match The assassins And Tom shaft will face the popular favorites Mob Up Bob Armstrong Robert. Fuller So robert's, back that's. Interesting the brother Of Ron, Fuller Colonel Rob, parker is done Booking memphis, apparently And Jerry, Stubbs Eddie mansfield Will, Mee Kevin salvan and a few bout another, Matches Jimmy golden will meet the Super pro in a single. Match NorVa austin Wrestled Bob owens in a one fallbout And Roy welch Faces Troy graham in a singles. Encounter and there was some storm damage that hit the auditorium. Itself it wasn't just you, know the city environs that took, damage in, fact the building where the territory would have their matches and mobile. Damage here's an Article boss from The Mobile Register november, second nineteen seventy. Nine Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Damaged storm damaged roofs on The Mobile Meansial auditorium complex leaked badly during heavy Rains wednesday, night compounding problems for the staff and probably causing more interior. Damage auditorium MANAGER. W. C buddy cluis.
Speaker 2: Just the guy you want in. Charge it sounds like his name is clueless where you got him on the? Horn guess is the combined impact Of Hurricane, frederick which tore parts of roof off the main, arena the theater And Expo hall and the rains will cost more than one million dollars to. Repair on top of, that cluis noted the entertainment complex will lose revenue by having to cancel some events and turn down. Others severe roof damage has forced the staff to Close Expo hall until repairs can be. Completed he.
Speaker 7: Said events and the other sections of the entertainment complex will be held as scheduled unless inclement weather forces and impromptu, cancelation he. Said hours after rains Ceased, thursday water continued to drip from numerous points inside the. Buildings clewis appeared most concerned about the central sound system ceiling title to ceiling, TILES a number of seats and four four hundred thousand dollars worth of. Drapes four hundred thousand dollars worth of Drape that's a lot of, drapes, buddy that's a lot of fucking drapes in the. Arena all the drapes were soaked and may have to be, replaced he, specked and water dripped from the sound system's, cage which is suspended from the arena.
Speaker 2: Ceiling get the, Point just read. That read the caption here on the. Photo, okay oh, god it's a catch can it's a Water it's a bucket catching water from the leaky. Ceiling it's a can catching. Catches you got that, Right but they push ahead In mobile Come. November professional wrestling will Return wednesday night At Mobile's Expo Hall Bell time eight. Pm program was scheduled for last week but was washed out by a. Storm they had a lot pressure Toward. Tonaka now it's two, words The Gulf Coast Wrestling. Champion you reading What i'm reading? Here mm. Hmm Wasn't hulk the? Champion? Yep apparently not. Anymore Did hulk lose The Gulf Wow Coast championship again and he's Wrestling Tony Atlas in the main event Is, tanaka, which of Course Ron fuller said in his podcast is the guy they rushed to bring in when the big muscle man The hulk had given him. NOTICE a fifteen man Battle royal is also on the. Program Last man in The ring earns a twenty five hundred dollars bonus six man taged. Him elimination bout sends The assassins And Tom shaft Against Robert, Fuller Kevin sullivan And Jerry stubbs notice. Qualifications other. Bouts Roy welch Meets Jimmy gold And Troy. Graham i'm gonna try to do My Ron. Fuller here all bouts Of Royal welch Meeting Jimmy, Golan Troy graham square and off with a super pro And Bob owens facing The. Mongolian the doors opened EX Ba hall six point thirty p. M as noted, here last week's Canceled halloween daycard at Ex Ball hall due to the storm had A hulk as The Gulf Coast champion defending Against Toro. Chanaka why Does tanaka now have the? Belt what? Happened that's the. Question where are the? Answers? YEP i mean the fact that title histories are incomplete For hulk Fucking hogan doesn't say a lot for title. Histories according to not the WAY i see, THINGS i don't know about, You, ALABAMA Nwa Southeastern Championship Civic, coliseum here's a card for, you taped fist. Match now we're starting to see this Is. Knoxville this is this is not Only. Knoxville this appears to be, yes this is their answer to the Outlaw knoxville. Group. Hmm But Hulk hogan has already left and gone To, georgia which of course will cover in focus on a future leg of The Complete Hulk Cogan journey and gone on A tbs working For Olie anderson And Jimmy barnett and Renamed Sterling golden because look who appears right here on This knoxville, card right Whe Ron fuller ran all those months That Terry boulder was. There Special Attraction Sterling golden The Wrestling hall Versus Pierre Lefevre Lefevre Lefevre la Freev The Wrestling. HULK i see that as being quite. SIGNIFICANT i think you stopped calling him The hulk and start calling him the Wrestling hulk because a certain letter On Marvel masthead arrives at the. Office, yes SO i definitely whenever they say, that pay very close. Attention but elsewhere it's a tape fist, match Brass knuckles, Rules Dick, Slater Paul orndorf Versus Ox baker and The angel managed By Gorgeous George, junior who is back in From memphis about a thousand dollars. Challenge look who's back in the. Area David schultz and the Future Midnight express Wrestler Dennis, Condrey Robert, Ronfuller MISTER, Usa Tony, atlas And, yes special attraction Startling golden right here In. Knoxville but boss. Come On november, eleventh this article hits The Knoxville News. Standard looks like we have a new owner in. Town In Southeast. Wrestling this reminds me of that period on the lamentable tragedy Of World Class Championship. Wrestling we're suddenly Like Bo bright and these like Random dallas. People we're in the paper buying interests From fritz Fim. Eric that tells you there's not much time. Left that tells you a drain is. Circle tell us About Bob. Polk, oh, yes he's the Lap Fall wrestling.
Speaker 1: Podcast he's The Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast With jack And carno AND Jp.
Speaker 7: SORO i THINK i read part of this article on The Incredible hulk episode, actually But i'm glad to revisit.
Speaker 2: Here Bob polk buys Se.
Speaker 7: Wrestling Bob, polk who has a background in the sporting goods, business, coaching and, insurance has accepted a new. Challenge the former web schools standout in football and. Basketball together a group of investors to Buy Southeast Wrestling incorporated From Ron welch And Don, Curtis, Jacksonville, florida key investors Are Fred ward And James.
Speaker 2: Barnett you got, it so he sticked the front person And Jimmy. Barnett Fred ward was the one of The atlanta area. Promoters you mean Actor Fred ward From Tremor's you got to redo that joke, too SUCCESSFUL tv wrestling promoters In. Atlanta the new group will be known As Southeastern Wrestling. Corporation so it went From Southeastern Wrestling incorporated To Southeastern Wrestling. Corporation you, know to avoid, Confusion, yes you. Know there are two THINGS i hope to accomplish in the, broways Said polk thirty, three nineteen sixty EIGHT ut graduate and history masters in nineteen seventy. One, first said we should bring to the top wrestling town across the Country Tony, Atlas Stirling, Glodin, sterling Gold, Stirring golden three twenty pounds and known as The Wrestling hulk And Harley. Race, SECOND i hope to return something to the community through civic work myself and the. WRESTLERS a new wrestling group will have an office On. MAGNOLIA i forgot's, sakes no hold, on, SORRY i accidentally close. It we're seeing. Here if you're not picking it up is the group That Ron fuller Sells knoxville. Too he throws up his hands and says fuck this and sells the you, know not Just. Knoxville he sells his company To Jimmy, barnett, who of course was the big power broker and as we've discussed on The Black saturday, episodes a strong shareholder and kind of a in some ways before he clashed With, oli sort of like a controlling. Shareholder he was THE nba secretary and he booked the. Champion you. Know he was the one you called to get dates on the world. Champion he was the one that elected the ten percent champions fee and parceled it out. Respectively and now he And Fred ward have Taken Ron fuller's. Territory they've bought it from, him and so it starts to connect a little. Bit while all of a sudden in The, Fall Terry boleya is coming back around the. Area while this article hadn't hit the press, yet and perhaps the sale hadn't been fully, consummated wouldn't surprise me to know that it was pretty well understood and in the air on the fall of seventy nine That ron was looking to get out and in fact sell to somebody That Sterling golden had gone to work, for Or Terry boleya had gone to work for and been renamed a re Christened Sterling. Golden and now all of a sudden in this part of the, territory the newspapers or chocol block with mentions Of Sterling golden. Again so it comes back. Around that's kind of Why boulder's first exit from the territory is a bit of a head. Fake it's more like he Leaves Louis toillette than he Leaves. SOUTHEASTERN i got. You let me see. Here so the New Rusting group will have an office On Magnolia avenue Near sh'll how Chill Howie. Park let's Let's THATCHER Tv productions and Public, relations And Charlie bauer promoter will continue with the organization. Quote he goes there will be no change in admission prices or location of m.
Speaker 7: Matches for a moment, THERE i thought he said there will be no charge in admission.
Speaker 2: Prices good thing that wasn't a. Typo. Man you imagine the fucking confusion caused by that, one.
Speaker 7: Said, polk former assistant coach and football and basketball at BIT a lot other. Keep every time they Say, polk they fucking list another like accomplishment that.
Speaker 2: Another right you? Know and web school before establishing a sporting good. Store, ah, YES i can do sports BECAUSE i run a sporting good. Store Tara matsuda thought so.
Speaker 7: Ye, polk who has worked part time in wrestling in the past few, years was employed By Brotus Clay anderson And. Associates Bortus clay Aren't anderson And associates before embarking on his new.
Speaker 2: Well how Fitting it's holidays and The Territory boss look at. This, Thursday november twenty, Second Knoxville New, Sentinel Hartley race is coming back to. Headline there will be no turkeys on The Thanksgiving night wrestling card At Civic coliseum Because Harley race will take On Dix slater in the main. Event slater won a local elimination tournament for the right to Meet. Race Ron fuller continue to Meet. RACE i don't, Know Dick slater And race don't really tend to make it a. Combination Ron fuller continues his feud With sterling The Wrestling, Hulk Golden sterling The Wrestling hulk in Parenthesis golden and another match In David Schultzen Dennis condrey take On Pierre Lea feyere And Jerry roberts in the tag team. Highlight the other two matches complete the eight thirty. Cards there it is, tonight eight thirty, Pm Civic Coliseum Fan Appreciation, night no increase in. Prices the posters, says, wow what a special treat for. Us of course has mentioned race For slater with special Ref Don curtis and in the special grudge Match boss in my eyes deceiving. Me It's Ron fuller versus who The Wrestling Hulk? Golden but another fucking Type oh for the. Ages can you Pronounce stertlewig s t e r L i W g ster slug the Wrestling? Golden this is a combination Of Jim hellwig And Sterling. GOLDEN i guess The Wrestling Hulk golden Versus Ron Fuller southeastern tag, Titles david Schultzon Denz Condre champions Versus Jerry roberts And Pierre la. FIV i can't say the name And i'm just gonna deal with. It Sterling golden still. HERE i wonder if there was like A i wonder if they got a, refund if they misspelled the wrestler's, name AND i wonder and, uh you, know the promoter figured out like a kickback to the to the person who wrote the ad so they would get a piece of the refund so they could get a discount on the. Ad because there's way too many spelling area it's really, bad just about every time there's one of. Them Knoxville News, Sentinel november twenty. Eighth All Star Championship wrestling Now All, Star, yes was the name of the group That Bob orton and The Knoxville five split off and. Created and look who they're attracting to the. Territory makes sense out of this for? ME i guess it's because they're still running As All Star, wrestling even Though barnett now is pretty much consolidated power and they're on their absolute last. Legs but you don't hear a lot about. This they're still going to market As All star at the W Knox. Auditorium But Sterling golden's on the, card, Yes and not only is he on the, card he's Wrestling bob Rup that's, right in A hulk. Challenge, now you tell me if there's A hulk challenge for five Grand bob rup and The hulk Sterling. Golden how is The southeastern title match list that above also? HAPPENING i don't. KNOW i Guess bob is working double duty and who's he wrestling besides The hull Working All star? Risks and like? IT i like. IT i like it a. Lot he don't do your right, Now Bob. Roop you're looking at one, man one man coming in taking care of a, business doing it the way THAT i, do because that is the. Way uh. Huh The Macho, Man Windy savage likes. IT i do like. That he started with you're looking at one. Man he was always big on not stating the. Obvious that's one thing we can say About Rainy. Savage BUT i, can't, OKAY i, mean this has got to be. It this has got to be the first, time maybe In, memphis but That Hulk hogan And Macho Man Ready savage are on the same. Card. Yeah Hers, Day november twenty, ninth nineteen seventy. Nine knox that it's crazy because The outlaw group is kind of fading away and kind of getting subsumed By. Atlanta another thing that happens in nineteen seventy, Nine absolutely, right but there's still secial traction still tells you where they, stood as The NO Dq No Time limit tag match puts the five hundred Pound Man Mountain dean And Ronnie garvin Versus Bob Orton junior And Professor Boris. Malenko we of course in The, Malanko orton And garvin part of The Knoxville, five but the See Bob roup Versus Sterling golden on the card is. Amazing Terry Terry, gibbs that supposed intermediary getting a book down there Facing Barry, Oh Barry. Orton. Wow no FROM Wwf STARS wwf shows to, Come Southeastern Friday Night, coliseum The Don, show and the absolutely The Donna Hue. Show most, specifically most Memorably november, thirtieth seventy, Nine Friday, night eight Thirty, Coliseum Southeastern heavyweight Titled Dix Slator champion Versus Ernie Ladd, Challenger Tony atlas Versus Sterling Golden mass in nineteen and seventy nine and the return match for The southeastern tag Titles David, Chelton Dennis Condrey champions Versus lathiev And Jerry. Roberts take a look at the next. Damage there's a big Old Dick slater throwing a heavy elbow terry bowlet slash sterling. Golden you know it's sterling golden for the most. Part if he's now wearing long trunks but not a single et right right chest hair is, shaved but it's skin tight, pants not, trunks and no straps over the. Shoulder but he's got the white wrist tape dialed. In yes he. Does he's Working Dix slater and we're turning to seehim. Melding and what's most amazing is that we haven't talked about the Last Hulk hogan Versus, andre The giant match In Gulf Coast. Southeastern take a look at. This here we are by the end of nineteen seventy, Nine andrea And hulk are mixing it up, again And hulk is he's got a different coat of pain. On take a look at The, hulk the state of The hulk here it appears not that we can tell why he's got the belt. Back, yeah he has the belt that's The Southeastern championship with the, red white and blue color designed to. It hulks in skin tight white long, pants red knee, pads red boots And i'm not sure how to feel about.
Speaker 7: THAT i, mean you, know it's definitely an uncomfortable. Feeling, yeah, WHY i, mean he. SHOULDN'T i, mean actually it kind of looks like two thousand and Two Hulk, hogan it, does you, know he almost you, know it's too bad that there's not the The Strawberry banana frapp going.
Speaker 2: On so this is Not terry The Hulk. Boulder this as The Knox One New sentinel tells Us december, eighth nineteen seventy, Nine sterling The Hulk golden won by. Disqualification, yes That's roondre The giant and the main event Of Friday Night wrestling at The Civic. Coliseum so that's Why Ron fuller talks about the two matches That hulk had With andre in the spring of nineteen seventy, nine as there were only two meetings in the territory because by the time they hook it back up In, knoxville you, Know fuller's out and so much has. Changed, yeah The giant had dumped The. Hulk the article reads from the ring When Dick, slater who was upset by The hulk last, week charged from the dressing room and began to beat The hulk with a, chair resulting in The giant's disqualification due to outside interference and other. Matches Jerry roberts Beats Terry. ORRANGE i don't think It's Terry. ORNDORF i could be. Wrong that's WHAT i haven't heard. Before, yeah that was him when he turned baby face After WrestleMania won nothing DO i. THINK i just bear with, me. BROTHER i think what you should, do, dude is instead of a WHOLE maniai, brother not your baby. Face he shouldn't Be paul Or. DWARF i think you should Be terry On. ORNDWARF i am. DUDE i, mean come, on you, KNOW i think it's a good way to, go. Brother it does say later here in this. Article so later In Paul oorendwarf Beat David, Scheldt Stennis condrey and the. Grappler. Wow SO i don't. Know maybe there was A Terry orndorff THAT i don't know. About could have been knocks only a. Sentinel here's another article from the same programs of the day Before Andrea Wrestling hulk meeting main. Event the biggest man in wrestling seven foot, four four hundred and eighty five Pound andre The giant And hulk. Begins by the, Way boss undoubtedly reading these articles his LIFELONG i don't want to say, phobia but his lifelong you, know, obsessive compulsive thing about try to do everything he can to overtake his rival's. Numbers Headlines Friday night of The Civic. Colisseum his opponent is six foot, six three hundred ten Pounds sterling the Wrestling Hulk golden AND i can't wait to get more into this time period because After hulk leaves and then kind of comes back, around they take The Hulk Andre show on the road The Wow, yeah Consider dothan AND i think it Was, montgomery the other match The Maris, pensacola The Petri. Dish, okay they figured it. Out this thing draws, well this thing draws, big And Ron fuller was not the only promoter to notice this be prepared for way Before WrestleMania three and before Even Shay, stadium The hulk Versus andre to headline major cities all Over North america and Eventually. JAPAN i can't handle that ride and out of The. Coliseum battle of The giants seven foot, four forty five pound under The, giant big ass picture Of andre to his massive mit versus six foot, six three hundred ten pounds sterling gold in the Wrestling. HULK i mean you're looking at you're looking at the raw material of The WrestleMania three promotional. Campaign it absolutely is right. Here, seriously it's seventy nine they're already promoting it is sort of a a special. Attraction it's not even, like you, Know terry the Hult, boulder who's risen to prominence here, locally is going to welcome the international superstar under The giant and see if he can test his. Will he's not the local, boy you. Know terry is the other side of The this marquee sort of freak show that when it comes to town is kind of a special attraction match on the order of AN nba title. Match so now he's kind of elevated a little bit visa dere and that he's not the underdog hoping to prove himself Against. Andre he's the guy that you want to see Test andre in your. Town and, man are they learning their lesson about this being the money? Match And i'm Sure Vince junr wherever he's, sitting is paying very close attention to this as. Well here's a card that was dug out by The Homie matt From december, thirteenth seventy. Nine Southeastern Championship wrestling In. Knoxville Southeastern Tag Team, Title schultzen contry Versus Orn dwarf An Atlas Southeastern title, Match Sterling golden Versus Dick. Slater some wow is The southeastern title that he has there on his waist and you see it off to the right as. Well Sterling golden Versus Dick. Slater here's a post from The Wrestling Classic sport mentioning how the title switched around around this point in. Time this fan Remembers hogan Is Sterling golden won The southeastern title From Dick slater On december, first nineteen seventy, nine worked his FIRST wwwf matches a few weeks, later and went back and dropped the title To Bob armstrong On Christmas. Night so we're worthy about to see to cap off The alabama leg of the Complete Hull Cogan, journey Is hogan coming back to do The Christmas day honors after he's already gone To New york and been on their. Television that's, Insane really is. Wild you don't really think of their being kind of a anything except The awa In japan on the other side of Hul cogan leaving For New. York but there is a lot more to say than you might, think Because Southeastern Championship wrestling presents a Card Christmas, day and how as we ride up on Our christmas here in twenty twenty. Five, Boss i'm sure they never could have guessed Back Christmas night nineteen seventy nine to The Civic coliseum And knoxville that we'd be doing something called a podcast about.
Speaker 9: It i'm sure.
Speaker 2: Not but what A christmas night that must have been at THE. AH i can't. Imagine that must have been. Crazy three thirty Pm bell. Time you like that On Christmas? Day a three thirty? START i, do. WELL i don't. Know now too early, early you gonna Have christmas dinner? FIRST i see that's. True maybe be home For christmas? Dinner? Maybe, yeah maybe that's that could. Be that could be. True Southeastern Heavyweight title, Sterling Golden Wrestling hulk and Quotes Wrestling Hulk. Champion they must be saying wrestling Because marvel got. Pissed they have to be all of a, sudden they must they have to. Be in, fact he's probably Called Sterling golden because when he got To NATIONAL tbs they were, like we, can't, no we can't call you The. Hulk that's. Ridiculous it's so obviously Versus Bob, armstrong as well as A Texas Death match falls count anywhere in the. Building dick's later teams Of Paul arndoor Versus David schuls And Dennis condrey a seven girl over The Tarboro Battle royal fifteen hundred bucks to the, winter and in a special challenge, match It's Buzz sawyer with one ze Versus Ox. Baker snippet if like, task that's, right here's little sippet from The Knoxville New, Sentinel december twenty, Fifth Christmas, day nineteen seventy. Nine wake, up open the presence with the, kids have your uh your a chicory coffee or, whatever and fried squarel down, there whatever, else whatever. Else Truman capote used to eat his a young boy when he woke up And Bob, armstrong, GEEZ i can't BELIEVE i missed the Whole christmas memory. Connection there's you, Know Truman Capote's Christmas memory one of the Great christmas short. Stories ever written all about A christmas that these wrestling fans attending the arenas in nineteen seventy nine in this part of the country would have would have remembered and identified earth the smell of fruitcake wafting through the coming out of the chimney amazing. Times Bob armstrong is back For christmas. Wrestling the headline reads local Favorite Bob, armstrong or as it, Reads Arman strong arm n another check cashed has returned To knoxville to Challenge sterling the Wrestling hulk in Parenthesis golden in a special wrestling Show christmas afternoon At Civic. Coliseum Dix slater And Paul orndorf Meet David, Chulton Dennis, contry and the main event Of Texas Tag Team deathmatch seven lady Wrestlers lyne And over The Tarborough Battle, royal with the loan survivor taking home the fifteen hundred dollars. Prize In, Ox baker Faces Buzz all You I'S thna call Him Buzz lawyer in a challenge. Match so here it is fast forward one tick. Oh this is the only other match that survivest the f out of. Here they have this. Match they have this match we have to bring to a conclusion The Gulf coast. Section so much has, happened we're going to push back the timeline a little. Bit BUT i figured With christmas right around the corner and this match happening In, christmas this Is Terry bulat saying goodbye to The rings Of alabama against the stalwart of the area in none other Than Bob. Armstrong my, friend are you? Ready i'm ready. NOW i don't know how and why this one. Survived i'm pretty sure we're hitting a time period where George Championship WRESTLING tbs would air highlights from other affiliated. Territories knoxville having been bought By Jim barnett And Fred ward would definitely be one of. Them AND i think what we're seeing is not some match, that like The Hogan andre arm wrestling, match happened to survive in the personal collection of some. Guy man if only some podcast out there one day could get to the bottom of that, one, yeah, Seriously but in, fact this was a match that happened to be from the, area that aired on another television show that while you, know Complete Georgia championship doesn't exist as. Either. Before of, course the proliferation of. VCRs there is a fair amount Of georgia from nineteen. Eighty we watched a bit of it In getting The essence Of Austin idol earlier on The Complete Hull. Cogan and now because of, THAT i believe we are the. Beneficiaries we get to See Terry boulder mix it up with the Old Man Christmas night nineteen seventy. Nine what a year it's been For Terry bolat and what a way it ends playing in three two.
Speaker 4: One and you, KNOW i think the key to this film is We i've looked at this film a couple of times and watched the.
Speaker 2: Watch let's that're on the. Call look At, hogan look at, him look at. Him he's on film clearly long yellow trunks and pressed collar and, elbow AND i think slow methodical working of the arm by the jew frowed bottomed Arm.
Speaker 5: Sean he couldn't man handle Larm strong the way he. Has other restaurers are in The southeastern area Farm.
Speaker 2: Strong armstrong wearing a single major, yes is looking like Fucking Richard. Simmons he really.
Speaker 4: Does the bomb has that, speed that and he has it the bird and when in that respect to the extra eighty or.
Speaker 2: Ninety he was.
Speaker 4: Spotty The Big man was used against, him opposed to being.
Speaker 2: His compress lock to the arm Wringer hogan digging knees and elbows in the corner.
Speaker 4: The whole by surprise on the whole boom Driving armstrong into that fla in the corner of the.
Speaker 2: Buckling and The.
Speaker 4: Big man was, tough was very cautious Of armstrong.
Speaker 2: Elbow brother here comes No brody drop and cover By Sterling golden gets too a.
Speaker 4: Way But bob is still in the ball. Game you, know you can never Yet bob in the position for that.
Speaker 2: Golden. Squeeze he's got red and. Yellow it's just not where it has to. Be you, Ready, wow drops the. LEGS i was able to stay away from. IT i think the cover uh And Bob armstrong cans leg drop in nineteen seventy. Nine you want to mention That bob was unable To he hasn't perfected the.
Speaker 4: Movie definitely back and back in a big way as you're going to.
Speaker 2: See on this, bill and landed more with the back of his uh calf on the face than the Figh and when he came and he had one thing In Wow championship ducks the. Line bob throws a big, right bringing the Sterling golden down all.
Speaker 4: Fours top wrestling talent that we've seen in The southeastern area over the. Years bob has been the champion in the.
Speaker 2: Past golden is. Reeling look at himself in the.
Speaker 4: Area and you can see one because mister perpetual, Motion bob is always in gear and it's always high.
Speaker 2: Gear oh grabs the Where?
Speaker 5: Armstrong Because armstrong had been stuff in my.
Speaker 2: Finger he had things his way olden. Thought he had things his own. Way indeed less.
Speaker 4: Across the back of the.
Speaker 2: Neck there he can vantage throw his arms strung over the top. Rope look how the lights come up?
Speaker 4: There, no, YEAH i, agree was unable to save the whole.
Speaker 2: Tide right, back O'Connor roll, up Fun strong rolls up for the free body.
Speaker 4: Press so we Have southeast.
Speaker 2: Jauary how Happy bob is he as.
Speaker 4: That belt high in the, air kisses his glades around the coliseum with. It so we'll be Having bob on the program next. Week you'll be you'll be seeing him in a reaction for quite some time now because we've got a new, champion a great one and he's back and ready to.
Speaker 5: Go i'm.
Speaker 2: Sweet wow so Long Sterling golden just thoughts there overall on seeing him mixing it Up Christmas night seventy, NINE i mean it's it's it's. WILD i, mean there there are he's still a little you, know he's not there, yet but there's still a lot of elements of Of, hogan you, know you besides the, leg besides, that you, know even the way you know when he loses and, stuff and it reminds me of how he would lose as a, heel you. Know and he kind of liked his oh, brother and he gets down on his knees and he's like looking into the, crowd, like why, BROTHER i didn't do? It. Dude, yeah he had reserves to call on when he Was. Hollywood, yeah, yeah, yeah for. Sure and the punches and stuff like there were just there's a lot of. It there's a lot of it. There he just there was like a little bit of a lack of follow through that he would develop the punches and. Stuff, WELL i think of the back elbows and stuff that he did, There like there was it just kind of was a little it didn't feel, Complete, yes unlike a certain, JOURNEY i could, mention but if you think we're, complete my, friend we've only just. Begun look At Terry. Boulder it was nice knowing the THE Nwa southeastern heavyweight. Champion it was nice knowing as chest. Hair it was nice knowing. Him and look at look at those yellow trunks on That southeastern. Belt too, little too, late but we certainly Get Terry bully strapping himself up a little. Bit we even get us and mentions in the paper as somebody that's interacting with some of the local. Athletes here from The News journal In, Pensacola gainesville Date. Line Danny, fike sophomore Tackled university Of, florida spent last summer lifting weights with a couple of theatrical athletes own As Ron slinker And terry Foldat Jesus. Christ so he's now officially a theatrical athlete in their prof As Danny fike says from The university Of Florida. Tackle they're professional WRESTLERS i worked out with at The Pensacola Health, club Said, fike who played On Pine Forest High School state for a runner up from seventy to seventy. EIGHT i know they act kind of crazy in the, ring but they're pretty down to earth guys out of the. Ring AND i know one THING i wouldn't want to mess with them in the. Ring slinker And boulder must be the hiss and boo bad guys who'll do anything, mean dirty and low down to gain an unfair. Advantage otherwise they wouldn't want to mess With Danny. Fike this Columnist Billy mitchell, writes so last vestiges perhaps of the Name Terry, boulder and it's traveling in an area that he LEFT i think way more of an imprint on than he had any right to. Expect M Ron, fuller it's off to court to try to get the belt back and the boat if he's lucky From Ron. Garvin and it's really never going to be the same in this part of the countries it regards professional. Wrestling but for the last few months that it was the same for the last few months where you could go down there Typical. Hugan he comes in and he gets built up to be on this, megastar and then when he, leaves it's, like oh, shit like the whole thing goes to. Shit lessons being, Learned lessons being, learned For Terry boleya and all who employ and book him going, forward and there will be a litany of said. Folks but the raw material is. Here we've done our level best to bring it to life for you here in The Complete Hulkoke and never let it be said That Terry Boleya's Gulf coast history is under documented. Anymore it Was, andre it Was, harley it Was Ox baker And Austin. Idol it was so much of the. Signatures the first hint and whiff of the signatures that would define his career was the beginning of The andre. Feud it is the beginning of calling this, man This Terry. Boleya from The Infinity's end band In, tampa The, hulk As Lou forigno lights up television screens across the country with his portrayal of The Incredible. HULK i think things are. SET i Think Hulk Cogan boss is prepared to be. Born let the new year bring that to you and yours here on The Complete Hulk hogan and The Lapsed. Fan we've got a couple of more legs of the nineteen seventy nine journey to get acquainted. With Because terry The Hulpe boulder made imprints In, memphis he made imprints In, atlanta and yes he would soon make imprints In New. York we leave you for, now coming off The Christmas night victory Of Bob, armstrong and wish you and yours a happy holiday two thousand and twenty. Five And i'm left, Wishing boss that ALL i want to get under the tree this year is someone that can help me see what these fans In, dothan In montgomery And mobile And, pensacola and in so many other areas on The Gulf coast we're able to witness As terry The Hulk boulder morphs Into Hulk. Cocain don't know who that could, be but maybe they'll be under the tree this, Year god willing you, Know Charlie, Platt, yes, sir how are? You? Sir next time on The Complete Old cogan