Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. It's time for swamp watch. Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 2: The government's work man's.
Speaker 3: Gonna make us like a reality TV shoot bag who always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: Ay Jo, a town all too clearly built on a swamp in so many ways, spill a swamp back to watch Malarkey.
Speaker 2: Boy said, drained and swamp. I said, oh, that's so he keep wash.
Speaker 1: You know things. So just to put a bow on the eating animals in Ohio thing, the Haitian immigrants eating dogs and cats and ducks from neighborhood ponds. I know you shielded yourself from this. I just want to talk for a minute about why it was a big deal. Because of a Biden administration program, this town of Springfield, Ohio has been flooded with immigrants, and what's happening is they're absorbing all the services that the people there that were there before are now not having access to. It's a legitimate concern, it's a legitimate problem. It's a way to bring up the border it's a way to bring up the Biden administration and the Republican's idea that it has failed in terms of protecting America first, communities and having the services for Americans first. And it is a popular topic, and and the border is a big issue with independent voters, the voters that Trump needs to woo right and those couple of all important swing states, And the fact that he did not seize on that and doubled down on the animals was the big unforced air and the missed opportunity to drive home that point.
Speaker 3: That was actually a point I mentioned. I didn't see the debate Tuesday night. I watched it yesterday while sitting in the airport, embarrassed, Like I tried to shield everybody else from my stupidity having to watch it for work. Right, But that was actually a point in the debate where I went back and I rewound it to see President Trump did mention. He talked about Springfield and ducks and pets and cats and things. I mean, but that was almost literally what he said. He didn't get into details about what the expect, what the story was about. He just said Springfield, Ohio, Aurora, Colorado, and those are two different stories that stem from the same problem. In Aurora, Colorado, it's the violent Venezuelan gang that was supposedly taking over an apartment complex in Springfield, Ohio or other places in Ohio.
Speaker 2: Was you know, people eating pets and things like that.
Speaker 3: But all he had to do was just the tiniest bit of explanation about what he was saying, and I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Or just leave that out, well, lease the pets out and just say, actually, I'm glad you bring that up and spin What we should be talking about is in Springfield, Ohio, it's a community overrun, oversaturated with people that the Biden administration put there and to the detriment of providing cer for the people that were there before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to You're right, you don't have to get into the details of why people are freaking out, whether it's true or not. It's just the fact that there is a problem. The stem of that problem, the root of that problem is that the lack of control at the border. Now, the other big issue that has come up, of course, is that and I don't even like to say it in this way because I feel like it's giving way too much weight to it. But it is an important thing, and that is Taylor Swift endorsed Kamala Harris. What that means is there's a bunch of people fourteen year olds can't vote, but there's a bunch of people who pay attention to what Taylor Swift says.
Speaker 1: Well, it's at eighteen to twenty four year old voting blocks. She's very big with that with that community.
Speaker 3: It's not and it's that it's the demographic of that age group, but it's also the geography I should say of She's a Pennsylvania girl.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's the all important state. I mean, if this election, can you imagine this, if this election comes down to Pennsylvania and we're all watching election Night and the polls are showing that eighteen to twenty four year olds came out in records in Pennsylvania, that effectively is saying that Taylor Swift picked the president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an awful place to be. I mean that the idea that.
Speaker 1: The idea that anyone has that much swing male, female, young, old, whatever, that one person, one figure in the entire country has that much sway, that is incredible.
Speaker 2: And I think there's a there's a role that she can play.
Speaker 3: When it comes to anybody with that much power, with that much popular popularity, what.
Speaker 1: Is spider what's a spider Man quote? With great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's every superhero.
Speaker 3: But yes, that's I mean, that's the thing is and she has to know that now she people are going to vote so simply based on what she says.
Speaker 2: That's an awful thing. That is an awful, awful thing.
Speaker 3: But she wields this crazy amount of power in these demographics and the geographics, you know, like we said with Pennsylvania, that's a little terrifying that an election could be decided by somebody who.
Speaker 1: Just won a VMA many many VMAs. Many now holds the record I think for vmavma's I think.
Speaker 3: So is there any actual video part of the Music Awards that they actually or was it video Slash Music Awards?
Speaker 1: I don't know. But you know what video I can't get out of my mind is that Chris Stapleton I Think I Love You video that we played before you went on vacation.
Speaker 2: Well, the one that made you cry.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's so powerful. Have you guys seen this video? Oh my gosh, it's incredible.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. It made my wife cry too. Yeah, yeah, a bunch of pansies.
Speaker 3: We were talking about this Taylor Swift endorsement of Kamala Harris for president and what it means.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 3: It may feel disgusting in terms of the idea that pop artists are now having such an outsized influence when it comes to elections, but it's a fact of life.
Speaker 2: It is something that goes on. So she endorses Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: She signs her little post Childless Cat Lady, which of course was a dig. It's something that Jade Vance said a while ago. And he said, and this I think is an important part to remember. Jd Vance said that Taylor Swift is fundamentally disconnected from the problems of most Americans.
Speaker 1: He is fundamentally disconnected. Just watch him try to order donuts at the donut shop.
Speaker 2: I mean, just because he's awkward, the idea that.
Speaker 1: He's an elite and he's trying to pretend like I was fooled. I read his book. I thought he was that guy. But everything I've seen in this campaign cycle, he is like a Gavin Newsom. He doesn't live in the real world. She doesn't need Taylor Swift doesn't either, But that's kind of throwing rocks when you live in a glass house.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 3: We admire Taylor Swift's music, but I don't think most Americans, whether they like her music or fans of her or not, are going to be influenced by billionaire This is ironic part of it. It's going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans. Now that I think on it, say is face like you said, is probably true. I don't know how much she knows about the interests and problems of people who drive to work five.
Speaker 2: Six, sometimes seven days a week.
Speaker 3: They've got to pay their mortgage, they don't know where the rent is coming from.
Speaker 2: They struggle to pay for groceries.
Speaker 1: Jade Vans is worth up to ten million dollars. So again, you don't get to make that argument. That's like a Mitt Romney thing. Just back off, just sit this one out.
Speaker 3: Well, the part I didn't that didn't seem to make sense was he's talking about a billionaire celebrity, a billionaire celebrity who may.
Speaker 2: Not know what's going on in the real world.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump, you can also argue that.
Speaker 2: That's Donald Trump. I mean, people have that.
Speaker 3: It's been the complaint that a lot of people have about him. He may not know what the price of grocery.
Speaker 1: I say, exactly right, I'm so glad you said that, because I was just gonna say. That's what bothered me at that debate is we're all realizing how bad inflation is every time we go to the supermarket. And it's been that way for three four years, which happened to be the years that Biden's been in the White House. And if you just drove home that point in the debate, like, hey, this is how much milk has cost versus how much it costs four years ago, bacon, whatever, just everyday things, the shrink flation, the things that we actually see every time we go to the market. If he just stuck to that, it would have been so.
Speaker 2: Powerful, Which is proof.
Speaker 3: I mean, to make Jade Vance's point about a celebrity billionaire not knowing what goes on on a daily basis, that's his own boss. I mean, his boss is maybe in that same boat, and that was not the right criticism for him to have.
Speaker 2: It should have been.
Speaker 3: Hey, Taylor Swift is great at writing music, she's horrible at picking men. Whatever she wants to, you know, whatever criticism he wants to make about her personality. But then encourage the people who would be influenced by her endorsement, do your homework. Figure out what they really believe, what politicians really believe it. Don't just take an endorsement from somebody who you think is a strong artists as the reason that they should be chosen, that you should choose the same person they do.
Speaker 1: Do you think he agrees to a second debate, and do you think he's going to be able to get away with doing a Fox News debate because of the whole three on one narrative around ABC News and what happened to his day.
Speaker 2: I do think it does add some fire to that the possibility. But he's got to be able.
Speaker 3: First of all, someone has to convince him that that was not a good debate performance.
Speaker 1: No one is going to convince it. I don't think that's not his mentality.
Speaker 3: It was, I mean, just objectively, was not a good debate performance. He's done much better. I don't know if it was the complete one eighty I saw somewhere that it was Kamala Harris's version of what Donald Trump did to Joe Biden with that she did to Donald tr that was not what it was. But if someone doesn't get to him and say, hey, you've got a mess that you got to clean up, you can do it better, I don't know if that's a if somebody has that ability to get to him make that point to him. New poll shows Kamala Harris widening her lead over Donald Trump after the debate.
Speaker 2: This new poll from Reuter's and.
Speaker 3: IPSOS shows that Kamala Harris expanded her lead over Donald Trump following the debate. Voters overwhelmingly had said that she did better than he did, at least in terms of the debate itself.
Speaker 2: So that's one thing.
Speaker 3: Chris Christy not a surprise, another one of these guys that you can take their endorsement, but you better do your own homework.
Speaker 2: Chris Christy endorsed Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: And Hamburgers and Hamburgers. Doesn't he seem like somebody all kidding aside? Though, Chris Christie, somebody that you'd want to go out with and have some Hamburgers.
Speaker 3: He would know the best place to get the worst hamburger I mean, and I mean it'd be messy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would just you would smell like a hamburger for four days after you ate that day.
Speaker 1: I want to smell like a hamburger.
Speaker 3: That's well, I'm sure there's somebody that would still put hamburgers on you.
Speaker 1: That's I don't have to make it weird.
Speaker 2: I'm the one.
Speaker 3: But again, we are live today at BJ's Restaurant at Brue House in Cerritos, and as.
Speaker 2: Always, we picked the ones that are easy to get to.
Speaker 3: We're right off the six oh five freeway, so it's a there's plenty of parking, so come on out. We'll be here until one o'clock. Grab that Sweet Pig pizza or the Spicy Pig peas a trade.
Speaker 1: About BJ's what they're always just like, right off the freeway.
Speaker 2: Right, most of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really easy to get to and the fun to stick around. You could spend all day here if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Sure an earthquake hit.
Speaker 3: Southern California, a couple of them this morning, and preliminary four point seven magnitude quakes centered along pch in Malibu. Just before seven thirty, there was an aftershock about a three at about nine to thirty today. And then somebody was concerned about Debora Mark and her reaction to the earthquake, which I thought was pretty great.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon. I am so glad that eighteen is back on. Man, the eighteen is back. We're gonna get them, can you get them?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 3: Second thing, just want to know if Deborah Mark is okay with this earthquake.
Speaker 2: First thing, I felt the bedshake. I was just getting up and I was like, I wonder.
Speaker 1: How it's a shower with conditioner in my hair? Okay, So yeah, it was very scary. And I saw my two dogs running to the shower door and I said, it's okay, girls, it's okay.
Speaker 2: As I'm shaking, shaking, shaking.
Speaker 1: Debora's making a lot of dreams come true right now. I just be honest. I know, TM, I that's great that that's like one of my worst fears is something happens if you're in the shower or the bathtub and you're just like, oh my god, and you gotta get out, you gotta find your clothes and my hair.
Speaker 3: I was thinking out of my hair.
Speaker 2: That is great. I mean, at least you're clean.
Speaker 3: You're cleaning yourself, right, I mean that was that arguments, not a farm animal.
Speaker 1: You make it sound weird. You're cleaning yourself.
Speaker 3: I mean you could be caught listening to Shannon Sharp's Instagram live or something over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: It was twice, it played twice.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like once was enough.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did too, but the phone just kept reboating.
Speaker 2: Uh, sure it did. That's what you told your husband.
Speaker 1: Well over the last decade, people in El Paso, El Paso Wins if you will, Texas, traveling on the trans Mountain Road, hiking through Smugglers Pass, they could catch a glimpse of a piece of beautiful nature, A white goat with curling horns on those rugged slopes, a beautiful, majestic goat. Locals loved the goat so much that they named him. What did they name him? They named him Bob. What else would you name a beautiful goat in nature? They confirmed back in twenty fifteen that Bob was a domestic and now feral goat. That Bob didn't like being fenced in. No, Bob wanted freedom and liberty. Bob was an American goat. He escaped. They think from a nearby farm, or maybe intentionally released on the side of the road, just given away. Maybe Bob got too big. At the time, the agencies were not going to make any plans to relocate Bob because it would be difficult and dangerous for both Bob and the wildlife officials. Bob's a big goat with the big horns. Well, goat relocation efforts began because there is a big problem with a bacteria that's been killing goats. So they tried to row Bob and he did not survive the roping. What Bob died, He did not did not make it to the farm.
Speaker 2: This is the story story that you've told today.
Speaker 1: The story is really a tale of freedom and liberty and America and Bob, instead of being fenced in on that farm, he chose to go to the freedom in the sky because he that's how much he wanted to be a free goat.
Speaker 2: Where's John bon Jovi when you need him?
Speaker 1: You don't think it was a beautiful story of freedom? No?
Speaker 2: No, he choked to death when they roped him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I didn't have to doing.
Speaker 2: What he loved. Gasping for breath. Awful.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the otters.
Speaker 3: No, No, I thought you were going to do the story about Crisco the Goat at the Big Goat mascot at Table Rock Lake.
Speaker 1: Oh does he does he survive well?
Speaker 3: And this is a guy in Arkansas, so we're the Missouri Arkansas border and they have he's a legend in that they have made Chrisco the Mountain Goat the unofficial mascot of their town, with like blankets and pillows and t shirts and everything with Crisco's picture on it. He escaped capture originally because he was part of a pack of goats that was going through and destroying people's gardens. And then he made it out like the rare cow that escapes from the stockyard, and they put him on a pasture somewhere, let him live out his days instead of being one of those great Chris Christie style hamburgers that you get to eat.
Speaker 2: So here's the otter story, and this is like otters like otters.
Speaker 3: A woman was jogging through Tanjung Aaru Recreational Park in Saba, Malaysia.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 1: I thought that was in China.
Speaker 2: Otters in Malaysia.
Speaker 1: Well, they've got otters everywhere.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that she was beset by at least eight otters.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by beset?
Speaker 2: They attacked her? Was it a.
Speaker 1: Was this like the dolphins that that dolphin in Tokyo? No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, no, nothing Shannon sharp about this?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, No, no, this.
Speaker 3: Was but look at this picture of this woman after having that attacked by then. She's got blood coming off of her head everywhere, arms are bloodied. It looks like she had a little accident right there because she was probably a little frightened.
Speaker 1: Do you think she pee?
Speaker 2: I do? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh she did. Yeah, that's definitely.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the way that you get orders off of you if that's what they're doing, is they're attacking.
Speaker 1: Those are big, They look violent.
Speaker 2: Those are bigger than my dog. Yes, that's what.
Speaker 1: Your dog is like a pocket pet.
Speaker 3: The victim was transported to a hospital. Wildlife team was dispatched to the park to keep tabs on the otters and make sure that they weren't going to do it again. The otters visit at the park before without incident, and they said that the attack was because of a change in behavior because visitors were feeding the otters, which you're not supposed to.
Speaker 1: Can't do that. They don't feed the animals.
Speaker 2: They get used to humans.
Speaker 1: They don't know where to get the food from.
Speaker 3: If you stop coming by, then they get an attitude and they think, well, she let me have the food.
Speaker 2: How come you didn't let me have the food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they've become aggressive, Dana, which is why you don't adopt a squirrel and bottle feed it. Did you know that ninety percent of the world see otters live in coastal Alaska. No, now you do. You can use that for what you learn this week on The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty one, a resident in Singapore had to be hospitalized after being accosted by a gang of otters that bid him twenty six times in ten seconds.
Speaker 1: Does it say what makes them agitated? Is it just pac mentality?
Speaker 3: Gavin Newsom? Yeah, Gavin Newsom really makes otters mad.
Speaker 1: I bet.
Speaker 2: That guy. The New York says that this guy was utterly devastated.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that. New York posted.
Speaker 1: Can I use this power source?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's no reason why I would want my computer plugged in.
Speaker 1: Yours is already charged.
Speaker 3: Gary Channon Live today, Like we said at the Bjay's Restaurant in brew House, still to come. In this show, we're going to do all of our trending stories at the top of the hour of the stuff that's been going on. You can actually watch that on Instagram Live. As a matter of fact, we're going to bring you the live mechanisms of technology.
Speaker 2: And it's not going to be anything like Shannon Sharp's Instagram Live.
Speaker 3: A couple of earthquakes this morning, that four point seven that hit what seven point thirty while Deborah Mark was in the shower and then conditioner in her hair, conditioner fully in her hair, leaving her to.
Speaker 1: Wonder will she be able to rinse the conditioner out.
Speaker 2: I still never heard if she ever did.
Speaker 1: I did, okay, very quickly, very.
Speaker 2: Quickly, and to walk with heavy hair the into work today.
Speaker 3: And then there was an aftershock at about nine to thirty that was pretty sizeable three point something, so some people felt that also. The fallout from the debate continues. We saw the numbers now sixty seven point one million viewers across seventeen different networks. That's well above the fifty one million who watched the CNN Trump Biden debate back in June, ABC alone brought in almost twenty million viewers, far more than the rival. The thing is, when we talk about those debates, I think there's an advertising thing where it's an ABC News. They run the debate, but everybody else gets to carry it. So you think of it, You hear it as an ABC thing, so you're going to tune into it that way. That campaign trail, of course, continues. Vice President Harris back in North Carolina today, where basically she's in a statistical tie with Donald Trump. He is in Arizona today. He narrowly lost that to Joe Biden. I remember that weird that night that we were doing that election coverage and Fox had called Arizona for Joe Biden, and everybody thought it seemed to be too early, right, so we remember that. Of course, that's going to be a must state win for Republicans this year is Arizona. And then tonight he's speaking at a campaign fundraiser at a location somewhere in LA. They said that tickets range thirty three hundred bucks up to.
Speaker 2: A quarter million.
Speaker 3: And then tomorrow morning he's hosting a press conference at his golf course in Rancho Palace Verdi's heads up to the Bay Area, just making a west coast swing for what he's doing fundraising wise.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to keep eating this.
Speaker 2: That's fine. I don't mind. You just want to listen to you eat. That's great.
Speaker 3: Because I don't know if you know this, but it's amplified in my headphones. Oh the chewing sounds that you're making.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So I want to care so bad that I know.
Speaker 2: I know, but the pizza tastes too good. I get it.
Speaker 3: There was a tech billionaire who performed the first private space walk.
Speaker 1: Did you watch this live?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I actually didn't know what was happening. I didn't either.
Speaker 1: I mean I knew what was happening, but I didn't know what time it was happening. I would have liked to watch it.
Speaker 3: Jared Isaacman teamed up with SpaceX to test the brand new spacesuits that they have developed, and it was Sarah Gillis and went out once after Isaacman came back inside the space capsule.
Speaker 2: She's an engineer for SpaceX.
Speaker 3: They said it was very simple, it was very quick in terms of space walks, It was relatively short.
Speaker 2: It was less than two hours.
Speaker 3: A lot of times if you're at NASA, they like to do it for several hours at a time because you got a lot of stuff to do when you're out there.
Speaker 1: It looked like they were inside a tesla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it is funny that I thought that as well. Yeah, just in terms of.
Speaker 1: Just the style of it and everything, the color scheme and all of it.
Speaker 3: Although I've never seen a guy crank a door open on a tesla the way he was cranking the hatch.
Speaker 2: On that thing.
Speaker 3: Usually, if you are at the International Space Station and you're NASA and you're doing a spacewalk, it takes a while. You always go in pairs, and you have a bunch of tools and stuff with you because you're out there.
Speaker 2: For doing repairs, etc.
Speaker 3: And they said that the International Space Station spacewalks can last seven to eight hours, so this was just a couple of hours. And again it was more to test out the spacesuits that they've got. I don't know why you would think the pictures were so clear. Putting them in the absolute worst conditions to test the spacesuit was the best way to do it. I'm sure they've run tests before but it let's just imagine something was wrong with that, a little penny sized hole in that thing, and that person's dead quickly.
Speaker 1: Well that's you know, with great power comes great responsibility.
Speaker 2: That seems to be the theme of the show today, Spider Man.
Speaker 3: This was the main focus of this five day flight that Isaacman paid for along with SpaceX, and they said it was years of development to because they're trying to get all of this geared towards settling Mars and other planets. We know that Elon Musk had talked about getting some sort of spacecraft to Mars within the next couple of years when the window opens. I believe he said to actually travel to Mars relatively safely.
Speaker 1: So is that going to be in our lifetime thing? You know, people on Mars and the Moon and the whole bit.
Speaker 2: Maybe people to Mars, but I don't know if people on like, I don't know, like.
Speaker 1: They're going to hang out there weekend at Mars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not going to have an expansion team on Mars. Okay, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Thanks for drilling down on what I really wanted to know.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm trying to keep the language simple and clear.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get those Venn diagrams, like Carl was saying, in the right spots, space travel, expansion, football.
Speaker 1: Right, there's this sliver there, there is a sliver, a.
Speaker 2: Bunch of stuff.
Speaker 3: We're still giving away, the gift cards, the tickets, the Chargers tickets.
Speaker 2: Uh Sweet Caroline, the musical.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is you're only going to get that if you're here at the BJ.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. That is an exit nose.
Speaker 1: You've got an hour, an hour and five minutes to make this happen.
Speaker 2: And curritos is easy to get to. Right right off to six oh five. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.