Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of home on Cafi our house whisper, it's Dean Sharp morning, Dean, good morning, Amy. Did you notice that the sound just went down?
Speaker 2: Yes, I noticed that everything got quieter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let's talk about sound in your home, because you might not think about it much, but just you know, there are sound treatments that can make things great or not so great in the home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, noise, noise pollution something that in recent years, actually we've come to understand much much better than ever before. It used to be noise was just a thing that was very subjective, right. Some people love the idea, like I love the noise of the city. I don't think I could do without it. Other people are like, no, no, no, no, no, I need it nice and quiet. And it used to, you know, be sort of a very very subjective thing. What noise was to you, noise was to me music, and vice versa. But a lot of research has happened in the last few years. The American Public Health Association has actually decided that they've changed their definition of noise to unwanted or harmful sounds because we now know that chronic noise, even at low levels, not about volume, just about noise can cause stress, sleep disruption, pardiovascular disease, all sorts of metabolical disturbances. So it's gotten more important than ever when it comes to home construction and home life to get the noise quieted down. So Sunday we're taking a deep dive. We're going to talk about getting control of sound around your house. Some of it is sound proofing, some of it is being able to get inside your home and not hear all of what's going on outside. Other things you can't control quite as much. You may be in your backyard and you may be near traffic noises. We're going to talk about sound masking, which is overlaying one sound on top of another and giving you a new point of focus so that the noise that's in the background doesn't sound like noise anymore and it doesn't affect you in the same way. It's really fascinating stuff, and it's very helpful no matter where you live.
Speaker 1: So more noise could actually be better.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, here's an example. The sound of moving water, okay, of running water in your house. It just so happens that moving water shares most frequencies with the sound of traffic, right, okay, So if you lay over the sound of moving water in your yard and there's traffic in the background, and yet now you've got a water feature in which your brain actually focuses on ooh, I see the water falling right there, and I hear all of this sound. The fact of the matter is it all computes as moving water. None of it computes as traffic in the background. And that is not a stressor to the brain. That is a piece of stress relieving a sound to the brain.
Speaker 1: So you flew yourself into thinking that you live by a.
Speaker 2: River exactly exactly, and it's exactly one right, And and it's that's the difference between pleasant sounds and noise. It has to do with what we're conditioned to to understand as a stressor versus something that is pleasant and safety giving.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then are there different noises that correlate with different sounds, Like you said that there's the traffic with the water, is there like something else that you can like, go, oh, well, there's birds and that goes with this sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And birds song is not so much a mask as it is something that should be present in order for you know, to have your stress levels drop in your yard. One of the things that we're going for when it comes to a home is not one hundred percent sound proofing, because it has turns out that absolute silence not the most stress free thing to be in, because you and I are inheritors of millions of years of adaptation in which when we walk outside or we open up a window, we want to hear the sound of bird song, because birds are the first things to go silent when there's trouble.
Speaker 1: Canary and the coal mine stuff.
Speaker 2: Exactly when there's a fire nearby, if there are predators nearby, if there's any kind of danger nearby, the birds get silent. And so absolute science as silence, is actually a little unnerving. So our real goal is to reduce noise, increase the levels of sound that bring us joy, and get control of it all, whether we're inside, outside or so on.
Speaker 1: And Deane's going to tell you all about that, and as he said, take a deep dive into getting control of sound. That's Sunday from nine to noon right here on KFI, and then you're also on Tomorrow morning from six to eight am, again right here on KFI. It's our house whisper Dean Sharp. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean so easy to find you have a wonderful day, Dean, thank you too. We thank you. Time to get in your business now with Blue