Speaker 1: All right, what is going on?
Speaker 2: It is drivetime. It's a Thursday afternoon. It's about nine minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: It's like a chamber of commerce day.
Speaker 2: Outside it's seventy five degrees, it's sunny, beautiful, looks like we have a great weekend ahead, and as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the ride. Spence check, it's behind the mic. That's Porter Larsen behind the glass today producing the program. You've got a lot to do with jam packed on this Thursday afternoon, Thursday Night Football. You can hear it on your home with the NFL in this market. That's US ESPN seven hundred, the New York Football Jets host the New.
Speaker 1: England Patriots six fifteen.
Speaker 2: Tonight is your kick Amazon Prime, so you can be you can be a grown up like me and get Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: You can be a childlike quarter and steal it from your mother.
Speaker 2: So you can watch football either way. I'm not judging. That's just the dynamic tonight. As Thursday Night Football gets going, we are high speed ahead to an a week and I should say massive weekend in the world of college football. We're gonna get to all the storylines. How we doing, guys, how we doing?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: Fans? We uh a little nervous about this weekend.
Speaker 2: A lot of you panicked when the Vegas line moved last night, and it moved very rapidly.
Speaker 1: Something's up.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying something's not up, but I don't know if that's something.
Speaker 1: Is Cam Risey not going to Stillwater? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people are talking about that, as the Vegas line moved rapidly last night. When we said good night at six o'clock yesterday on a Wednesday, the Utah Utes were a two point favorite over Oklahoma State in Stillwater. As we sit here today, Oklahoma State is a two point five point favorite. For you math experts out there, that's a four and a half point swing in a matter of hours.
Speaker 1: That's not nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying, you know, I'm not saying that there isn't anything going on. I remind you last year, despite being trolled on the interwebs by losers who use the Internet to feel brave, I'm the one that gave you the info that Cam and Bryant we're not gonna play all year.
Speaker 1: That was about week three or four, caught a.
Speaker 2: Lot of pushback from it, caught a lot of heat from it, but I was right, And as I can tell you today, I've done the best I could to get some info for the situation coming up on Saturday and Stillwater and everyone I talked to he says he's going.
Speaker 1: Everyone I talked to, he says he's playing. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a weird, weird dynamic for a line to move that much. So we're gonna get into it today. We're gonna get you ready for this Utah game coming up. YU has a challenging task of their own on Saturday night in Provo as Kansas State rolls into town. Kansas State at the number thirteen team in the country. I am of the opinion that this conference, despite the parody throughout the majority of it, is top heavy with two teams I think one case State, I think the other's Utah. Right now, Kansas ctatey six point five point favorite, that line is held pretty still and the over unders forty eight point five. Just over a week away from the Utah Hockey Club getting rolling pre season style the Saint Louis Blues, and then they'll be home to take on the La Kings. I'm laughing because I just never thought I'd be talking about these teams that I grew up watching and coming to Salt Lake City play. NHL Hockey Media Day was yesterday. So excited for pro hockey to land here at our market. And we are about two weeks away from Jazz training camp.
Speaker 1: How about that.
Speaker 2: We got a little bit of everything going on, a little bit of everything going on. Shout out to our little old soccer club who could ral saw Lake a three to two win over FC Dallas last night in Sandy and Anderson Julio brace soccer term race as a soccer term. That's two goals and RSL was able to hold on three to two. Robert Turbin, Big Show, Big Hour, Aaron rogerc Mee, Spence, check at Zach Guy, Porter Larson, how is your Thursday afternoon?
Speaker 4: Thursday's gone well, Spencer, and we got football today, so obviously we're looking forward to that. I don't know how much maybe you are looking forward to it, but of course Jet's Patriots tonight and looking forward to a really really good weekend of college football in the market as well, with both a game we'll be watching on the road and a game that hopefully a bunch of folks in the market can get to Dan and Probo.
Speaker 2: All right, our first guest right out of the gates will be Robert Turbin. Once upon a time, a really good running back for Utah State played pro football as well. But before we get to Robert on a Thursday, courtesy of our good friends, you're good friends too. At Standard Restaurant Supply. Standard Restaurant Supply is your local tailgate headquarters. Get everything you need to make your tailgate epic. Standard carries everything from serving dishes to start out a propain, portable barbecues, and much more. Standard Restaurant Supply is open to the public and conveniently located at thirty five hundred south West Temple and online Standard Restaurant dot com. Get the best tailgate in town with Standard Restaurant Supply. On a Thursday afternoon, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check. It's on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply. Your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 2: All right, so when we said good night last night six o'clock on a Wednesday, the University of Utah was a two point favorite over Oklahoma State heading into the game coming up in just a couple of days now about twenty four hours or excuse me, forty eight hours away as we sit here currently ish at boone Pickens Stadium.
Speaker 1: Two o'clock PM is your kickoff on the.
Speaker 2: Mountains on the Mountain time Zone, and then the TV coverage will be on Fox. Our pregame coverage for the radio side, we'll begin at ten o'clock with Porter Larsen. I'll hand it over to Bill Riley and Scott Mitchell and Stevenson Sylvester for the call. So of course, as always as you're home of the Utes, you can hear the game on this radio station. So last night, round eight nine o'clock I get like four or five texts right away, Hey is Cam playing on Saturday. I'm like, well, I think so that's what everybody is under the impression that Cameron will be back under center. Every conversation I've had every report, I've read.
Speaker 1: Every show I've listened to.
Speaker 2: Everyone seems to be operating off the premise that cam is playing on Saturday in Stillwater.
Speaker 1: However, well, we'll kind of take a little trip into.
Speaker 2: The Doloreate and go back a year a year ago on this show, it was about this time, week three or week four, where after all of the Dog and Ponty show every single week, from the coaches and the players up there, it's like, hey, yeah, we're preparing this if he's gonna play. At some point we're like, dude, what's the deal?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And I want to be clear, like, until coach Wit and his staff are mandated by the conference or college football to report injuries side note, they should be, but they're not. And until they are, I get this game now as a media member and somebody who's covering the team and trying to speak to the community about what we can expect. It drives me crazy. But nobody gives a rip about that. We all care about Utah Football winning football games. So it is to the you know, the benefit of coach with his staff in Utah football to keep the opponents guessing, and certainly with the component of simply how important camera it is to Utah football. I mean, look, Isaac looked good last week, all right, but that's Utah stated respect. This is a different beast in Stillwater, it's a different stadium in Stillwater. And if Isaac Wilson is under center on Saturday, I don't know that Utah can.
Speaker 1: Get that done. That's not a knock on him.
Speaker 2: It would be Isaac's first experience on the road in the Big twelve in a scenario and an environment like that. It's different than average stadium, it's different the logan, it's different than any of the high school stadiums he's played in. This would be the very definition of drinking from a fire hose and baptism by fire if Isaac Wilson is under centered against Oklahoma State. So anyway, I get these text messages and I'm like, why are people texting me asking if cam's gonna play?
Speaker 1: And then they all said the same thing. Look at the line.
Speaker 2: So I signed off air last night, six o'clock, Utah two point favorite.
Speaker 1: I get home, walk the dog, have some dinner, come home.
Speaker 2: Within about two hours, two and a half hours, the line went from Utah Favored by two to Oklahoma State, favored by two and a half. You don't see that very often. It doesn't mean nothing. Typically, if a line's gonna move, it'll move half a point, maybe one point. It doesn't move four and a half points in the matter of a couple of hours unless something's up.
Speaker 1: So let's discuss who knows what it is. Okay, let's be clear. I don't. I'm not reporting anything.
Speaker 2: I kicked the tires on a bunch of people today, including the source who gave me that Cam and Brandt were going to sit all of last year. That I told you about week three or four, angering youte fans on the internet.
Speaker 1: But whatever, I was right, I stand by it.
Speaker 2: And I got nothing on Cam on Saturday other than the walking line we received from the team and the institution that he's good to go. I listened to a couple of podcasts this morning, a couple of shows this morning previewing the weekend head in college football. They all talked about a massive game in Stillwater. Because there are a ton of really good games on the slate, this is one of the top three or four regardless of conference. Okay, because there's so much on the line, I do believe the winner of this game puts themselves in i'll just call the proverbial driver's seat to do something special in conference play, UTA schedule is favorable this year. Utah left out a little bit with some of the scheduling stuff. Okase did two a little bit, But they're up against KSE State next week, who I think right now is the second best team of the conference, next to the youth. A lot on the line, a lot at stake, and everybody who's previewing this game, everybody who's writing about this game, everybody who's talking about this game is talking about it with the understanding that Cam is expected to be under center. However, that line moving doesn't mean nothing. I don't know what it means. It could mean that somebody got some inside info that Cameron is not going to play. For it to move for and a half points means something significant happened. It could also be sharks and wise guys and really you know, really intense gamblers who have massive bank rolls deciding that once it did move that much to Utah, they felt better about putting their money to move the line towards Okay State.
Speaker 1: That could be on the table. But for it to move for and a half points. That's seven figures.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a massive, massive bet from a shark or a wise guy that decided he liked the line and decided he was going to throw a bunch of chedder on it. But I can't sit here today and tell you I know exactly what's going on. So we'll move on from it and essentially talk about this game through the prison and through the lens of Cam under center, because that's what I've been told. I can't, you know, it can't pontificate on possibilities that are just out there.
Speaker 1: We have to talk about the information that we have, and that is Cam.
Speaker 2: We'll play, and if Cam does play, I'm starting to feel like this could be a comfortable ish type win for Utah. So Oklahoma State on defense has been bad. Now they've got athletes, they've got size up front. I actually, and Porter, this won't surprise you. Grinding on tape last night of Tulsa OKC. Tulsa's defensive line was blowing Oklahoma State's offensive line off the line.
Speaker 1: They were pushing them back.
Speaker 2: And Tulsa's defensive line doesn't have close to what Utah's defensive line has. However, it's on the other side where I think if you're okay State, you got to be really concerned about a Utah offense.
Speaker 1: If if if Cameron Rising's under center.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma State has given up the third most explosive plays in college football this year. They've given up twenty five plays of twenty yards or more. Arkansas had eight. They should have lost that Arkansas game if you watch it. Okay State needed a miracle to come back. But they stay clean defensively. They're a bit of a sieve right now. They're really underperforming. I mean again, they smoke Tulsa, but they give up thirty one to Arkansas.
Speaker 1: They give up eight big plays.
Speaker 2: They've given up eight plays of over twenty yards, which is excuse me, twenty five plays of over twenty yards on defense, which is the third worst in the country. Now, where it gets tricky is if on the other side, cameras not under center. Because if that's the case, I can see a little bit of an attack where it is run heavy, kill the clock, keep Bowman and Gordon on the sideline, and try to get out of dodge with like a thirteen to ten win or something. Because I just don't know that you can count on a freshman quarterback to roll into a place like Picking Stadium and still water and just sling it like you did, you know in.
Speaker 1: The second ALFA against Utah State.
Speaker 2: So if we get any information about this, we'll bring it to you for sure. Like I said, the line moving was weird, I'm not saying that it's not. I just can't tell you what it means because I don't have any intel, And we'll just kind of have to wait until Saturday to see what it looks like. All right, KSE State in Provo coming up Saturday night. Love the way the schedule is kind of playing out. You can watch the ute game, you can grab some dinner, and they get ready for a late kick in Provo at eight point thirty where BYU welcomes in k State. This line has state steady. K State is a six point five point favorite. The over unders forty eight point five, so it's a late kick. If you're driving down there, godspeed man, you're gonna be home at three am if you live up here. If you're down there, maybe grab some swig and you enjoy your evening.
Speaker 6: For me.
Speaker 2: For BYU, this would be a massive, massive win. For them in my opinion, based off of how I feel they've kind offer so far. Still with a bunch of questions to be asked about whether or not that defense second year under J Hill.
Speaker 1: Of course Kilani as the head coach.
Speaker 2: It looks like a defense that is coached by J Hill and coached by Kilanie. But how real is it based off the competition that we've seen so far Southern Illinois, I still.
Speaker 1: Give them a ton of credit. We're going to talk to a Rod about this.
Speaker 2: The road win at SMU, they smoked a really bad Wyoming team.
Speaker 1: K State is different. They bullied Arizona.
Speaker 2: Watching that game, I was extremely impressed Avery Johnson, dual threat quarterback. If BYU's defense can look like it has for the first three weeks, they got a puncher's chance here. This is on the offense. I know we'll ask a Rod about the running back help or health. I should say last week against Wyoming they were without their first two choice running backs and LJ. Martin and Hinckley Rapati. So we'll see if Miles Davis gets a little run. But to me, this comes down to BYUS quarterback. Jake Retzloff has to be better. Has to take care of the football, has to get up and down, you know, when it comes to completely bottling up Kansas State.
Speaker 1: I think that's a lot to ask.
Speaker 2: In your defense, I think Jake's gonna have to really put it one of the best performances of his career out there coming up in provo for BYU to get to win. However, Porter the most under talked about element of BYUK States, and my reporting is indicated coming up on Saturday night, they are going to have the original maple flavored cougar tails, but they are offering a special Vanella frosting addition. Stop it of cougar tails on Saturday night, and when BYU offers the special edition cougartail, I have a hard time picking against him. It seems like there's gonna be a lot of motivation.
Speaker 1: And you said vanilla Vanella frosting.
Speaker 4: I might have to make a trip just for a cougartail for the football as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's be clear, Big twelve football as well. There's also new packaging for the cougartail. Okay, yeah, tell me about it. Well, that's all there is. It's vanilla frosting and it's new packaging.
Speaker 4: It sounds exciting.
Speaker 2: I think you got to pick Cougar's if they're going with the new cougartail.
Speaker 4: I'm going to pick the Wildcats, but I might go eat a.
Speaker 2: Cougar till all right, fair enough, So two massive games coming up this weekend. Excited to learn a little bit more about Utah. Excited to learn a little more about BYU.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up on the other side, more college football.
Speaker 2: Robert Turbin, one of the best ever doing at Utah State, was on the broadcast for Utah State Utah week ago. We'll bring in Robert today, Big show, Big big hour with Buller and Monson, BYU offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick, and we'll say good night at six on a Thursday.
Speaker 1: So keep it right here.
Speaker 2: Big weekend of college football ahead, Massive weekend at college football ahead, both locally and nationally.
Speaker 1: Some great games on the schedule.
Speaker 2: Utah Heads and still Water CEE, Oklahoma State on Saturday afternoon. And then it's BYU's turn to welcome in k State. Our next guests joins us a couple of times a year if we're lucky, if the schedules line up. The offensive coordinator of the BYU Cougars Aaron Roderick on a Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Ay, Rod, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 3: The intro song, that's a good touch.
Speaker 7: Like it.
Speaker 1: That's your gig. That's your song.
Speaker 2: Because I remember, I think the first time I had John, like five years ago or something, I'm like, give me the band, you said, drive by.
Speaker 1: So every time we have you on, that's your bed.
Speaker 6: I love it. Nice job.
Speaker 1: You you seen them lately?
Speaker 3: I have, yeah, yeah, saw them the summer.
Speaker 2: Did you see the show up here? Because I went to the show up here in Salt Lake. You were at that show?
Speaker 1: Okay? I was, yep, very nice, good time, very nice.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, we're not here to talk music, hey Rod. We're here to talk football. And you guys are three and oh. So here's why I want to start. You were three and oh a year ago. What gives you confidence that this three and oh is different than last year's three and oh?
Speaker 3: Just we have a more experienced team, a lot of guys that went through some tough, tough times last year, and just you know, I think we're more prepared to deal with what's ahead of us town. I mean, we've got a tough road ahead for sure. No one's saying it's not tough. But I think we're just built a lot, We have a little more depth, and we just we just what we went through last year. I think there's a lot of lessons you could learn from that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have a tough road ahead. We'll get to that in the moment.
Speaker 2: But before we do, of course, there was a battle for the quarterback starting job that was run by one by Jake Rhet's laugh. How close was that leading up to the start of the year and what ultimately gave Jake the nod over Behannon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Gary I thought did a good job in camp. The longer camp went, Gary just kept getting better and better. He you know, he got the chance to play at Wyoming last week and that was the first snaps he'd had and I think October tenth, if I'm correct, it was October of twenty twenty two is the last time played in the game, and so his injury was really serious. And he's just since he got here, he's just slowly been getting a little more healthy and a little more healthy. And then so towards the end of camp he was starting to throw the ball better and starting to look like he could actually challenge to start. Then Jake hab pretty much won the job and established himself. But Gary's getting better every day, and we have a lot of confidence in him and no fear at all to play him as if we need to.
Speaker 2: So, as I've heard you talk about, as I've heard Collotte talk about, we talked about on this show. I think anybody who covers BYU football talks about it. We saw four starts from Jake last year. We've seen three this year. There are certainly dynamite moments that indicate he's got what it takes for you guys, to do what you want to do. Then there are moments where they're just mistakes that can't happen. As you said yourself a week ago, there were I think four fumbles a year ago, and then Wyoming rolls around, he throws the pick and we're going here we go again, and ultimately he settles in.
Speaker 1: But how do you coach that?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously you don't want turnovers, No coach loves turnovers, But how do you coach that?
Speaker 1: How does he get better at that?
Speaker 3: Well, we're trying to eliminate the the egregious ones. You know there was a couple of mistakes in the SMU game that were, you know, sort of gave us all PTSD from a year ago. The interception in the Wyoming game. We were throwing a one on one matchup to one of our best players against one of their players that we wanted to attack. He under threw the ball just a little bit. I thought Cody sort of could have reacted a little better and at least broken it up, like you can live with one of those. They intercepted the ball and they have the ball in the one yard line. Our defense goes three and out and we get the ball four plays later and plus territory again and then we score a touchdown. So there's not all turnovers are exactly the same. But Jake is sort of he reminds me a lot of what Zach Wilson went through when he was a young player, and he had moments as like just he was brilliant and you could just see the talent and the arm talent, and then there were times where he just had to grow, you know. And I think Jake started seven games and I think we're going through that process with him. But it's getting better every game.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's move over to the running back room. Let's get an update here. Hinkley, Rapati, LJ. Martin, two very capable backs. I understand they're banged up. So I've said this to you before. If I had a running back named Miles Davis, he'd play every snap for me just based off his name.
Speaker 1: But I'm just I'm a radio guy. I'm not a coach.
Speaker 2: So talk about how you're handling the health situation and the depth you have in that running back room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had Miles has stepped up and played well. We had Enichnawaheene stepped up and played well against SMU, and then last week we had se Anymore and Polkai Huwanga houn a step up and both of those guys played well.
Speaker 1: So I have.
Speaker 3: Confidence in those guys. It's not going to be a one guy gets thirty carries kind of game. We're going to play those guys to their strengths and and we'll use them as we see fit. But I have confidence in all of them, and Harvey's done a great job getting those guys ready to play.
Speaker 1: So up this up this way, Rod.
Speaker 2: As you know, Utah has a real weapon in bran Keathy, who they moved around in a bunch of different ways, and it feels like you're using Chase. And we caught up with Chase at Big twelve media days in Vegas, and you know, a great kid, really good interviewer, obviously a veteran presence for you guys. Seems like you're utilizing him in a much more nuanced way than you did a year ago. Is that fair to say? And what can you say about the way he started the year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're using him. He's kind of playing a really similar role to what Puka played for us a couple of years ago. Or Puka lined up everywhere, did everything. And you know, I'm not saying Chase is the same guy, but he is a very complete player and we can do a lot of different things with him. So yes, and he's a veteran now, so there's publy no limits on where he can line up, what he can do. And uh so yeah, you're that's I'm glad you noticed that because that is true.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, he's I wanted to follow up with this.
Speaker 2: It appears that he has evolved as a playmaker that can do more things than he just did a year or two ago.
Speaker 1: And these are young people. Of course, they are going to evolve and improve.
Speaker 2: But what specifically did you see leading up to the season, whether it's camp or whatever, it is that has motivated you to use him in so many different nuanced ways.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, he's he's long, he's six four, and Chase can run. I mean he's not just a possession guy. He can he can get down the field, take the top off the defense. He's really good runner with the ball in his hands. He breaks tackles, he makes people miss. So we get him the ball in the Jets sweep game, we get him the ball on shallow crosses, and try to get him the ball in the open field where he can run with it, and he's just yeah, he's just improved overall. And then he's he's one of the best I've ever coached that making the catch when it's a contested catch. I mean, he doesn't have to be open to make the play. And so there's just a lot of different things we can do with him, and I think his confidence is just growing every week.
Speaker 2: He was thinking about this when I was watching the Wyoming game. I mean, Chase, Darius Lasseter, Cody Epps and I could keep going. You guys have a ton of different weapons, you know, whether it's tight ends, wide outs, or what have you. I mean, you really have a bunch of different guys that have been in the program for a while, some new guys who are in the program for the first time with the transfer window and stuff. But it does feel like whether it's Jake or whether it's Gary, there are quite a few options. When a room is that crowded, is it iron sharp and iron? Iron sharpens iron. You got to compete for the reps. I mean, as the offensive coordinator, how do you eat so many mouths?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not always easy. I mean, those guys all want the ball, they all want to play. That's part of Fesse's job and Kevin Gilbride's job to use those guys as they see fit and try to you know. But it's part of being a team though, too, is understanding that if everybody's a threat and everybody's part of the offense, and we're harder to defend as a team. And I do believe we're we're a lot more skilled than maybe a lot of people think. We have good skilled players here, and our wide receiver play has been really good for several years now. I think Vestis does a great job with those guys, and we've recruited well there, so it's nice to have those guys. And I think we're executing much better now than we were a year ago, and so hopefully we can keep growing and and you know, execute on Saturday night because we're going against a really good team this Saturday.
Speaker 2: What we had you on a year ago. Also, Klada as well hopped on the show. We talked about what appeared to be I guess the way I'll say it gently is some inconsistency with the offensive line right a year ago. Do you feel like that's been better a rod Through three games.
Speaker 3: It's been better, and it's it's it's a work in progress. You're right, it was that was it was a problem a year ago, and we did not execute as a team well enough last year, but especially as an off of the line. So far through three games, run game has shown improvement. And it's nowhere near where we want to get to, but we've been improving our past. Protection has been solid, and that group is playing much better than a year ago. We still have a lot of long way to go, but I'm proud of those guys for how they've done up to this point, and we just got to keep you know, stay humble, and just keep working to correct our mistakes and keep getting becoming a tighter unit each week.
Speaker 2: I know that Wyoming was your most recent opponent, but I want to go back to SMU because before that game, all week on this show, and I know you're a daily listener, so thank you for that.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you what you already heard. But on this show, whether it was just my take or.
Speaker 2: Interviewing people, I don't think people fully understand how big that win was.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you weren't able to get.
Speaker 2: SMU, you were going to have to get Wyoming and then find four conference wins to go bowing. Not saying you can't do that, but how big was that? How big was that win? What was to feel like in the locker room after you guys just gotted that thing out and came home with the dub.
Speaker 3: It was huge and we were twelve point underdogs or eleven point underdogs on the road and SMU has dudes. Man, those that's that team. That team can play with anybody in our conference. I've been through this conference now for a year that's a good football team. They're gonna they're gonna win some games this year in the ACC, and especially on defense, they have two guys that are supposed to be really high draft picks. I thought they were very good. We didn't play great on offense, but it was a great win to get because we answered. We kept answering the bell and finding ways to get the ball in the end zone while they kept kicking field goals. They kicked five field goals. We found a way to get the ball in the end zone twice and then got a game winning field goal after a fourth and one conversion. So I just thought our team showed a lot of character. And so even though you leave the field thinking feeling like, oh gosh, we should have played better, sometimes those kind of wins are really helpful later in the season when you're in these type ball games that we're going to be in in conference play.
Speaker 2: I thought it was gutty, man, I really thought it was gutty. I was impressed that you guys came back with that when to your point, you were a double digit underdog. All right, hey, Rod, here's a little yeah, here's a little analysis for you.
Speaker 1: Kse State's all right. This is a good team.
Speaker 2: They bullied Arizona in a way that kind of even caught me off guard. So k State rolls into Provo Saturday night. It's a late one, it's gonna be eight thirty, that's on ESPN. As you study tape on Kansas State, what stands out most just how big is this task in front of you coming up on Saturday night?
Speaker 3: Well, it's huge. Case State is a team that they're not going to beat themselves. They're gonna they don't make mistakes, they do everything right. They are squared away in all three phases. You know, when when people watch us on film, our opponents watch us on film, I hope that they feel the same way about us that I feel when I watch Kansas State play, Like they do everything right. They play really hard, the people are in the right gap, they're covering the right guy, they're using the right technique on special teams, the same thing on offense, same thing. And so to win a game like this, you have to do everything right, and you can't. You can't just give them anything, you know by it. It's going to be a game that I think is just going to come down to who makes the fewest mistakes and they're a very tough team, and I'm looking forward to the challenge, but I also understand what we're up against. They're very good football club.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you are hyper focused on your game and I wouldn't expect anything other than that. But you do have experience going to Stillwater and playing at Okay State, which is what Utah does Saturday afternoon. What can you tell us about that experience? What are youth fans in for? What is the youth football team in for?
Speaker 3: Well, just I would say it's similar to almost all the road games in the Big Twelve. It was a different experience, much different than the Pack twelve. You're you know, Pac twelve. Everything was like a one hour flight. You're mostly going to destinations that are pretty nice and you're excited to be there, and short drive on game day to a stadium that may or may not be very intimidating. In the Big twelve, there's you know, every every flight's two three hours. You're staying in some sort of small town motel type thing that's usually like an hour drive to the game on game day, and then you get there and there's tailgators for miles and it's rocking, and so I think just that's sort of just well, a lot of the road games with Big twelve are like that, and they're they're tough road troops. Now the Utes, shoot, the Utes are awesome and they'll be ready for it. They're they're they had a good team and they're not gonna be caught off guard by any of that. But that is it is a different experience going on the road in the Big twelve than the Pac twelve as far as like just how the travel goes, your food, your your your day, your game day operation leading up to kick off. But there is a little bit of an adjustment there.
Speaker 2: Since we're in the space with the Utes, and you're familiar with this coaching staff, you're familiar with this programs, and you and I haven't spoken in this space for about a year or so. I wonder what your reaction was when you found out that you were once again going to be conference peers with Utah.
Speaker 1: When the news came down, Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm excited about it. I think adding another great team to our conference just makes it better, you know, And so I'm excited about it. I mean, we're we're in a weird, weird world of constant change. You never know what's gonna happen from year to year right now, but I think that our league is very good this year. And you know there's just right now. I'm just folks, not on Kansas State, but I definitely think the more good teams.
Speaker 1: The better, for sure.
Speaker 2: And before I sat you loose, I'm gonna ask you the same question I asked Kilani at Big twelve media days. How have you guys acclimated to this new reality of transfer portal of nil? I mean, Kevin Young and his staff are getting a lot of money, getting a lot of support, and obviously a lot a lot of that's coming from Ryan. Ryan Smith's basketball guy. And I you know, I'm a fan of yours. I'm a fan of Kilaune. I want you guys to get the resources you need to compete and keep up with the Joneses in college football. What's it been like down in Provo with the ever changing landscape of college football? How have you guys adjusted and adapted so far?
Speaker 3: I feel like we're very competitive with that stuff. I mean, our players are doing very well. And one thing that I know that is true of this place is when our players are you know, when there's something whether it's an il money or something like that, when there's when there's something that's promised or contracted by it. And I'm not involved in this stuff, I know that it's it's very important here that the players to the university they get what they were told they were going to get. And I know that that's not always the case a lot of places in college football where you hear these astronomical numbers about things and then a guy gets there and he doesn't play a lot as well as they had hoped, and also and that just comes to an end. And then you've heard those stories that some of these some of these places, and but I think we're I don't know all the details of all that, but I feel like we're very competitive. I feel like if we go after a big time recruit, we can get in the game with just about anybody. We're not we're not a place that's ever going to be like probably the best offer, but we're we're competitive and we're in the mix. And then we have to focus on our other competitive advantages or other reasons for why a guy would want to come here.
Speaker 1: You golfing at all you're swinging a golf club these days or is it all coaching?
Speaker 3: All head down, elball?
Speaker 2: All all right, Well I just was because Colani is saying he's getting better, and I need somebody to give me proof that they're actually seeing he is.
Speaker 3: He is getting better. Yeah, he's improved. All yeah, Well, look I appreciate the one fest is the best golf front our set ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah, well look man, you just want to make sure you're balancing out life a little bit. But then I realize you're a coach and you guys do not know how to do that.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate your time. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: I try to get in a run. You know, if I try to run every day, that's my that's my little moment a piece.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well look well we'll set you loose. You know, we're always pulling for you. For you up here. Good luck against k State and continued success.
Speaker 3: Okay, great talking, thank you?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers, offensive coordinator for BYU. It's a big weekend college football, both in state and nationally. First, it's Utah, Okay State and Stillwater. Love this when you can actually watch both games because Utah Okay State two o'clock, then byu K State eight thirty.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: That is a late late tip, late late kick for folks driving down to Provo. If you're coming from Salt Laker up north, you're not gonna be home intel like four am. So best of luck with that. But of course always pulling for our guy a Rod Klonne. Those guys down in Provo, great dudes. Hopefully they can pull it off. All right, more coming up next on a Thursday show Keep it right here on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 5: For fifteen years, the Big Show dominated the Utah sports talk airwaves. First it was Craig Bowler, Jack and Gordon Monson, followed by Spence Check its in Monson. Now all three are reunited on the Drive. It's time for the Big Show Hour on the Drive at Spence check Its exclusively on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: All right, it is time for the Big Show Big Hour. We do it every Thursday. Sometimes we're in studio, sometimes we're not.
Speaker 1: Today we are not.
Speaker 2: It's brought to you by Big O'tires get our Healthy Car Special for fifty nine to ninety five, which includes a conventional oil change, Jackson alignments, breaks batteries and more over fifty locally owned and operated locations in Utah. Visit Big o'tires dot com to find a location near you. All right, batting leadoff today, the better half of the big Show. Let's call it how it is, the TV voice of the Utah Jazz, the legend around here, the great Craig Bowler, Jack Bowler. Happy Thursday afternoon, sir, how are.
Speaker 8: You spans them? Great? How you doing?
Speaker 1: We're good, man, We're good. It's a big weekend coming up.
Speaker 2: And you know this is your alma mater, k State rolling into Provo for the first time since what like seventy nine? Did you ever think your alma mater was gonna be playing college football in this state?
Speaker 8: Huge surprise and really a treat. I had plans to be there, but the games at a thirty. I thought it was gonna be at noon. It seems like I have this problem many times. But ESPN made it a primetimer at Lease on the West Coast in the Mountain time zone as a primetimer at eight thirty, So I have another commitment. Sadly at night I'll be able to watch. Well, i'll record it, but I'll probably be able to see the second half live, but man, I wanted to be in Provo. Got a lot of friends in town, and I told them they will love the scenery and the feel, the vibe at Lovella eded Word Stadium. It's a special place and it's it's gonna be a fun game. I tell you, the crowd in Provo is great. They're gonna find that one day. I believe it's twenty twenty sixth maybe or was it twenty seven that BYU will be in Manhattan, so they're gonna get a taste of what Aggieville and just a great feel of fans in Manhattan as well.
Speaker 2: Had a chance to interview Chris Climb in Big twelve media Day. Very impressive, very impressive guy. Yeah, and I gotta say, Craig, like they bullied Arizona, like Arizona they suffocated them, like it wasn't even a fair fight. Arizona top twenty team at the time. What do you think byus in for as K State rolls into pro Bo is a six point five point favorite.
Speaker 8: Now, well, I'd say if people are going to say you're just talking up State because you went there, but no, this is a good football team. This program has come a long way led by Bill Snyder years ago, and they continue to build. You know what, every football team wants to have the tradition and just a way of how they play the game. And I think they do it, you know with lesser you know, five star players, Spence. Look, they go out and find threes and fours and guys who want to play the game. They work high level hard of getting to that to that level, and I'm proud of them, I really am. Look, Avery Johnson's a young kid, the quarterback for k State. He'll be twenty next month November two, and just a sophomore. But I thought he really came into his own last week as as you know, sort the O line D line for k State Avery fast. You know, it's really the first taste I've had of him a full type of game situation where you know, he was you know, going high level, high motor, but he get on the edge and he's working on his passing game. And I think that's one thing Kialan He's probably looking at this week. How do you keep him between the tackles and force him to throw the ball because he's not that experience with the passing game. He's I think he's starting to show signs of that, but his legs are really his best attribute right now.
Speaker 2: So ultimately you brought up the lad kick, it's an eight thirty kick, and that is you know, it's the you know, it's a necessary evil as it pertains to where the Big twelve is on the hierarchy of television executives picking teams for prime windows.
Speaker 1: It is primetime on the West coast.
Speaker 2: But it is way too late for folks back east to really stay up and watch. I wonder if from your vantage point, case State rolls in there's already altitude, that place is going to be going crazy eight thirty. The night games in Provo are fun. Man, those kids show up and show out, so it's going to be loud. What sort of complications do you think this for Alma Mater? The fact that they're probably not going to be done until the Sabbath begins.
Speaker 8: I love that, you know they won't mind playing after midnight. Look, I think that's okay. I don't think b YU is gonna pull their players off the off the field either if it goes late. But you know, I think the altitude will be a bit of a blast I mean, you know, they'll have to get used to it first quarter. I'm always a believer Spence covering teams over the years, they always talk about how do you start games, especially on the roads. Six and a half point favorites. Okay, any coach will take that, but don't get over confident with that spread, by the way, And look, I think any home team is always worth three points, no matter how good or how bad you are. But I think it's the way you start. Look, just go in, do your thing, don't don't turn the ball over. And I know BYU's defense probably will try to blitz this young quarterback and force him to make mistake. Look, Klanie is very very good in game planning in my opinion, and I think you know, they know his strengths and weaknesses, and they want to rattle this guy on the road. Uh, And I get it. And so don't throw a pick, you know, try to establish a run game and let your offensive line help you. And I think BYU and Utah, excuse me, b YU and k State Uh both these both these teams are strong upfront, and I think the test for b Yu, in my opinion, is the physical play of what the Big twelve brings and I think that's the first taste for the Cougars in a way how they saw uh, you know, they saw teams prior Baylor. Uh. But I think it's going to be interesting to see how everyone responds as this season really kicks off in conference play.
Speaker 2: So last thing here, and I just want to make sure this doesn't change your opinion on the outcome of the game or how it's going to play out.
Speaker 1: But my sources Craig in that Saturday night.
Speaker 2: In Provo, the good folks down at BYU will roll out, Yes, indeed your classic maple Cougar tails. But attendant to it, they're planning on releasing a very limited edition vanilla frosting cougartail. Does that change your view on how this game is going to play out?
Speaker 1: On Saturday?
Speaker 8: I saw that. I saw that. You know what, if I was there, I would definitely be taste. That'd be a tasty treat, to be honest with you, the original If I'm not mistaken, where will the original frosting be? And then the lighter cougartail. Is that in the front or the front of the tail?
Speaker 1: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: But I'm also told that they're releasing limited edition new packaging for their cougar tails. So I'm only bringing this up, Craig because but it also feels like this is an underreported element because those students are going to be even more fired up after consuming, you know, this new cougartail scenario. Maybe that is something that you need to tell your alma mater about.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm going to make a phone call. The sugar high will be a you know, it be insane, Spence, as you know that concerns me. You know, sugar, you know, but you have to be careful too. That sugar high wears off, you know, after a while, So yes, be prepared for a while crop and it could swim up down It could, It could could. But I'm anxious for these guys that I know to come into town, Spence, I really am.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: They always say what you been down doing on Utah a these years. That's well you're gonna get You're gonna get your first taste of really what the mountains and the night feel at Lavelle Edwards Stadium feels like, Uh, you know, I did ten years of BYU football and basketball, and I've always been in awe of both stadiums by the way up on the hill and down and that team down south. As people love to kid each other, but I mean, really, we're lucky to have two really incredible stadiums of high maggnot now in the Big twelve. That will, I think radiate a lot of positive vibes for people outside the state who are getting their first taste of what's going on here Big twelve football man. Right now, it's rolling multiple teams in the top twenty, top twenty five, and I'm excited about it, and I think BYU fans should this should be a fun game. Could be decided by a field goal, could be decided by a turnover. But the six and a half points I'll take. But pay State has to make sure early they understand what they're up against, a great crowd, very physical football team, and just don't give yourself, you know, don't turn the ball over and try to establish a run game. I sound like a coach, but that's the way it plays out, especially on the road.
Speaker 1: All right over to the utes, Greg.
Speaker 2: Something something's cooking, Okay, something's going on here. I don't know what, all right, So it's just really odd to see a line swing four and a half points in a matter of just a couple of hours.
Speaker 1: That rarely happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when we signed off air last night at six, Utah was a two point favorite, and then went home, walked the dog, grab some food, and suddenly I get like four texts simultaneously, and they all said the same thing. Is cam playing on Saturday? And I said, well, I think so, you know, like we don't know, and I want to be clear. Until the conference mandates Kyle and his staff to report injuries, I totally understand why they don't. It drives me crazy, but I get it. You know, the competitive advantage of keeping your opponent on its heels.
Speaker 1: I understand that.
Speaker 2: I do think college football will eventually adopt the pro model where we will get an injury report and that does away with the ambiguity. But until we are there, I understand why they do this. I can't speak to why that line moved four and a half points in a matter of hours, but that means something, Craig, I don't know what it means, but it means something.
Speaker 8: Look today, am I right? Two and a half? That's where we're.
Speaker 1: That's that's where we are. That's where we are to that.
Speaker 8: It's interesting, isn't it the Cam Rising factor? I mean, would you say that's probably it?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's either somebody in Vegas got a tip the Cam's not playing, because it can't be that like Karenne Read is out, because a four and a half point swing indicates like a big time injury to somebody that really moves the needle, which would be a quarterback. All due respect to Karenna that we want him back to. It either means that somebody got some information that maybe Cam is out, or when the line moved towards the utes to two points, some shark or some wise guy laid down a seven figure bet, you know, and and and to move the It's one of those two things. Unless I'm missing something.
Speaker 8: Well, I would think it has to be big money bet. I mean, unless something's happened in practice, because all indications point that the laceration on the right hand at Cam Rising wasn't as serious as some people thought, and that Cam would be playing. But look, I think you have to look at the history of Cam and the way that the youths have handled his injuries in the past, very very quiet up until game time and they really never spent last year early were upfront until maybe what was it Week five, Week six, that this wasn't going to happen for Cam to play. So what I've learned in college football, in the pros or whatever it may be, I'm not convinced until I see it, And so I think maybe again, Vegas maybe knows something. That's what they do. They make a lot of money in this bet game, and these guys are on top of it. How they get that information is beyond me. But maybe again it's just the way it works itself out. But it's either big on Utah that drove it, or they know something about Cam that we don't. I don't think it's Keepy nobody else right that would really turn the dial down into Oklahoma State's favor.
Speaker 2: Now, a four and a half swing in like two and a half hours is a quarterback injury or big money.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else it could be.
Speaker 2: But let's move off that, Craig, and let me ask you, since you and I last spoke, we did see Utah for the first time in twelve years. Go up to Logan. They got to win over Utah State. It wasn't pretty, it was rough for the start, but specifically focusing on Isaac Wilson, I thought the young man met the moment after a tough start. I thought he really stepped up. I thought he answered some questions. What did you see from Utah's backup quarterback last Saturday?
Speaker 8: Well, confidence came his way and that's what they were waiting for. And I thought, honestly, you got to say that with Kyle and Andy and the way they kind of game planned it, I thought they put a lot of confidence into him. I thought he found you know, after a little maybe slow, shaky, you know, first couple of series. I thought he just played great. I mean they put it on him again. Offensive line, strong, d line, played their game, and I think Isaac really found some confidence and who he is eighteen years young. That's a tough transition from high school to college, believe me. And you know, the speed of the game is real. These guys all run fast, they hit harder, and they're smart. And I think I was impressed. You know, I wasn't sure before that game, but he as a game continued on, I thought, Spence, I don't know what you saw, but I thought I just saw building confidence and flow and that's where the game kind of just came to him, and I was happy for him either. You know, fans can get on you pretty quick, and it happens in the NFL, and you see guys get binged, right, But I thought Isaac stood up and said, Hey, that's why I'm here, and that's that's why you name me the number two quarterback behind camp.
Speaker 1: I wonder bull.
Speaker 2: I was listening to your old buddy Joel Klatt his podcast this morning, and he broke down Utah Okay States and he said, any he wasn't reporting this, but he referenced that there's a feeling and he would know. I mean, he's pretty plugged in in the scene of college football. There's a feeling this could be wits last year. I don't know if it is. It is a topic in this marketplace Taale as old as time, because at times Kyle will drop hints, like when he came on the show just a couple of years ago asked what my father was up to. I said, he's basically retired, spending time with the grandkids, and Kyle said, well, that's gonna be me soon, And of course people freaked out, like, oh, does that mean he's done. I don't know what he's done. He's got a couple of years left on his deal. But if Utah football wins the Big Twelve, if they go to the CFP and for the first time as a head coach, Kyle has a legitimate chance to really play for a national championship. Do you think that motivates him to look back and say, I was here from the Whack to the Mountain West Conference. I was here from the mount West Conference to the Pac twelve. We won, We won Mountain West Conference championships, we won Fiesta Bowls, Sugar Bowl, we won Pac twelve championships, we went to a couple of Rose Bulls, and now I had a chance to play for a national championship. First of all, what a resume, I mean, my goodness, you know I'll start to finish. Second of all, do you think that might be enough for with to say, you know what, I don't know what else I can do. I did the best I could. I left it better than when I found it. Give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think a lot of players always think they'll walk off the field once they won a Super Bowl, but then all of a sudden the hunger of the game returns, and it's hard to leave Spence. I think it'll be hard for for Wit to leave, no matter when. I mean, it's in his blood, it's in his DNA about right. And he always he had chances to make a jump from here or there. Probably had an NFL call once or twice. He's kind of hinted on that. But he loves it here and what a magnificent job and really transitioning from Whack to Mountain West now to Big twelve Pac twelve, Big twelve and man, he has your What you just read Spence is a resume that very though coaches possess. The one thing that's missing. If he would have I'll tell you what, if he would have put won of those two Rose Bowls, he may have stepped down then maybe, But you know, he keeps coming back thinking that this is a good team he's put together and he has there's so many weapons if they stay healthy. Does he walk away? Man, family may have something to say about that. Probably, yeah, it's time, But you know what, he loves this game and there's a lot of talent. And if he does leave, Morgan Scaley's the one most from all indications will be the one to what would you say, Spence benefit in a big way. I don't think there'd be much of a t the schools. When you have winning program and have very good conference, with a great fan base and the hell of a stadium, that's gonna, you know, keep this program down if at all. So if Wit decides he's earned it, he maybe maybe some people try to convince him to stay one in a while longer. I'm not sure he's well paid. We know that probably one of the highest paid employees in the state of Utah, I'm not mistaken. So if he walks, he earns it right. But I could see him sticking around to enjoy it. But maybe the time has come. Only he knows or very few people, very few people in a circle knows.
Speaker 2: All right, Craig, before I say you lose, I mean we have been very football centric and I cover everything that goes on, So we do hockey.
Speaker 1: We'll do a little RSL.
Speaker 2: The Utah Jazz start their camp in what, yeah, like two weeks away.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is why this time of year is so fun. Just in a matter of days.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, we'll be able to really cover all of the local products that I enjoy covering. I mean, that's kind of what this show is about. We're not one product centric. We cover everything that we have going on here and do the best we can to be fair and all that stuff. But as Jazz Camp approaches, you know, another year with Craig butlerjack behind the microphone. Is this the time of year where you start to get excited? Is this the type of year where you start to get antsy?
Speaker 1: What are your what are your thoughts on the Jazz being back in just a matter.
Speaker 8: Of a couple of weeks all the above. A week from Monday the thirtieth is the the big day where the team and our staff get together and the media has a chance to really get all the all the interviews out of the way and a chance to kind of get to know a lot of new faces. Spence, yeah, some of the players around and they call it open court right now. And then the Jazz get to work and we actually start the preseason in about two weeks time, which I can't believe against New Zealand the Breakers at home, and before you know it, it's here and hockey started what yesterday with their their camp. So this city is growing, and the eyes will be interesting for me to see where the eyes are concentrated on hockey or whether it's the NBA. And of course, look what's going on with football. I mean, the Big twelve has a lot of eyes on it and obviously a lot of eyes on Utah at the moment. So man, it's a great time. It's a great time for you know, Salt Lake City, Utah fans to see what's going on Jazz fans. A lot of questions spent though that I have to get answered as a broadcaster, as I watched this team grow very young, two straight years of three well five number one picks in one second round with Philipowski, the big big kid on a duke and then you know, what do you do with JC and what do you do with Collins?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 8: And Sexton is he going to be a starter? My guess is yes. And the growth of Kyante and Taylor Hendrix, all those things come into play. But I'm most interested too to see what Walker Tessler becomes in year three, Big t and most NBA players will tell you that year three is kind of the jumping off point that either you find out who you are or the Jazz may move on who knows, But I think it's a big year. I mean for a lot of players, but for Walker. With Pilapowski in the camp, it's going to be pushed. But I think there's there's those three guys. Keante's got to turn down his turnovers, Taylor's got to grow with confidence and strength, and Walker's just got to find himself on who he wants to be. Can he find a face up game to the basket or is he just going to put the ball down like Rudy did on top of the rim? Is he a good defender? Can he run the floor? Absolutely? But there's always these questions Spence, and that's what I'm looking forward to. And I'm anxious also to get to know the game of hockey better. To me, that's important for this fan base to give it some time. Some fans already know out you know, the outsiders don't, but I think they're going to be hungry to understand what hockey is all about in the physical play that comes with it. I think it's going to be damn fun.
Speaker 2: All right, Bowler, thanks for the time, my friend, and have a great weekend. And the weather's supposed to beautiful, so Hopefully you have something fun planned and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Sir.
Speaker 8: Hey, well, you tell Gordo man I I kind of miss him.
Speaker 1: I will tell him.
Speaker 2: I will tell him that you miss him, but I will not say that we miss him.
Speaker 1: I will say that you miss him. Is that fair?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 8: Well, let me backpedal on that. I'm not sure I do.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll be reunited soon, buddy, Okay, I'll keep the great Craig Bowlerjack TV Voice the Utah Jazz brought to you today by Big Oh Tires. Get our Healthy Car Special for fifty nine to ninety five, which includes a conventional oil change, checks on alignments, breaks, batteries, and more.
Speaker 1: We want to keep our.
Speaker 2: Customers safe on the road and help them save money on tires and service. There's always something on sale at Big Old Tires. Stopping any of our fifty locally owned and operated locations in Utah or schedule an apployment online. We know tires and service can be an unexpected spence, so Big Od Tires wants to make sure you have financing options to keep your vehicle on tiptop shape. We have no credit needed financing options to fit any budget and any situation. Big o Tires has over fifty locally owned and operate locations in Utah. Is it Big o'tires dot Com to find a location near you. The Big Show, Big Hour continues brought to you by Big O' Tires.
Speaker 1: Get our Healthy Car Special for.
Speaker 2: Fifty nine to ninety five, which includes a conventional oil change, checks out, alignments, breaks, batteries, and more. Visit Big o'tires dot com to find a location near you. Joining me now, my buddy, saw Lake Tribune author Gordon Monson on a Thursday afternoon saw La Tribune writer excuse me, Gordo, Happy Thursday?
Speaker 1: How we doing that?
Speaker 6: Was the best sports talk host in the market.
Speaker 1: That's very kind of you, Gordon.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you saying that, and I just want to get your take right out of the gates about what you just witnessed in the UAFA Champions League game between AS Monaco and FC Barcelona.
Speaker 6: Uh. Preposterous, ridiculous, I mean I can't even find the right words. Just shocking.
Speaker 2: Huh Okay, any specific element of the game that was preposterous and shocking just.
Speaker 6: Because of a bad form And I didn't see, you know, I didn't see. I didn't see the action I thought I was going to see. I thought that the game was lethargic and the Paul movements shucked and I mean it just it was. It was sloppier than I thought.
Speaker 2: Huh, Okay, you know reports have in front of me are talking about what a clean, fast paced game it was and now entertaining it was for the audience.
Speaker 1: You must have seen something different with your keen eye.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you say, they say each his own filby crew, their own eyeballs, and look, all I can tell you is what my brain tells me that that's sure.
Speaker 2: Sure, beauty is in the eye of the Gordop. All right, let's start with Utah. So last week, Utah goes up to Logan for the first time in twelve years.
Speaker 1: And they handled their business. But it was a little shaky at the start.
Speaker 2: But I want to hone in on Isaac Wilson, who I've been talking about all week is as a young man who I thought Gordon really met in the moment after a shaky start, What did you see from Utah's QB two.
Speaker 6: Well, you saw the growth during the game. Early on, it looked like more of the same what we've slipped between seen earlier. But as time went on, he seemed to settle in and I thought they allowed him to show what he's got and I think that emboldened him and made him a better quarterback. I'll say it this way. I don't think there's any doubt that Isaac Wilson is going to be a really good quarterback. He still has stuff to learn, and once he does that, then I think the arm talent he has is going to show itself off, and Utah's future quarterback looks and really good. Shit.
Speaker 2: I really felt like a general sigh of relief in this community based off of just how unprepared they were a year ago to handle the injuries to their quarterbacks. And I say that plural because it was Cam and Brandon, but it has to be a huge sigh of relief because here's the thing, Gordon, I mean, look, none of us want Cameron to be injured. None of us want him to get hurt. We want him to be healthy, we want him to play all year. But if I asked you to bet the sizeable Gordon Monks and Salt Lake Tribune paycheck on whether or not Cam is going to play in every game this year.
Speaker 1: My guess is you would bet it that he won't. I mean, we have the data.
Speaker 2: It's hard to stay you know, optimistic, even though we want him to stay healthy, it's hard to be optimistic about him playing every single game. So I still believe if they want to win the Big Twelve, they need Cam under center. But at least ute fans know that there's a kid waiting in the wings where it doesn't look as catastrophic it did a year ago when it was Bryson, Nate and Bryce and the Nate like. They do have a plan in place this year, and I think that's a great sign.
Speaker 6: All true spence, every bit of it, and I think he'll get better. The problem for Isaac Wilson will be if he is called upon in the game or two moving forward, he's probably going to face a better team than Utah State. I know there are a lot of compliments passed around about what the Aggies and the way they played in their toughness and all that sort of thing. Kyle talked a lot about that, but really that's not relative to what they will face in the Big Twelve. That is not a comparable football team, and so he'll have to. He'll he will get better, but his opposition will get better as well. So we'll see how that all works itself out. But he's the kind of quarterback that will benefit greatly from watching Cam play in the meantime. And if he does that his attention, that's the part of this game that I think really will come around, and that's the part that needs to come around. So good news for the Uts on that front, no other way to say so.
Speaker 2: Some tenuous storylines have emerged over the past, you know, twelve to sixteen hours here Gordo with Utah high speed ahead to still Water to take on Oklahoma State. And when we signed off last night at six o'clock, Utah was a two point favorites. And then, as I've talked about all day on the show, I go home, I walk the dog, I get some dinner, and then I get four tech simultaneously that say the same thing, which is is Cam playing on Saturday. I'm like, well, I think that he is. But here's the deal. In about two and a half hours, Gordon, the line went from Utah favored by two to Oklahoma State favored by two and a half. It was a four and a half point swing over a matter of two two and a half hours. That doesn't mean nothing. Now, it doesn't mean Cam is not playing. But what do you make of just the way the line has switched over to the direction of the Cowboys and whether or not you fans should be concerned.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know the answer to the question with any exactness, but I think your instincts are pretty good, Spence, And that is somewhat concerning, because when you have the kind of injury that Cam had, you know that thing can be bothersome and a lot of it. It's kind of like a golfer who you know, you think a finger problem or whatever, but when you're gripping the club, as you know, as a season golfer, you know that could really bother you. And when you're delivering a football that is this sounds funny to say, but it's got grains in it and it tears away at the fingers sometimes and can cause real problems for somebody who has something like that. So, Man, I thought he was going to play. I thought he was going to play for sure, but I'm not so sure anymore. And if he doesn't play, I think this is going to be the toughest game. You need to play the toughest opponent they play all year because they don't play Kansas State. They don't play Kansas and so I mean, this is it. And so if he can't go, that means he really can't go, because you if they're going to leave him in any of their regular season games, this is the one they meet him the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if if he doesn't play on Saturday, he's properly hurt. And I can already feel the general consensus in the market of oh, here we go again. Now, let's be very clear. We don't know whether or not Cam's going to be under center. I don't If I had the guest today, I would say that he is, because that's what I've been told. And I'm the one that they told everybody last year that Cam and Brandt weren't playing all year long after two or three weeks and caught a ton of heat.
Speaker 1: But do you feel like.
Speaker 2: Gordon, because I've heard a lot of people talk this way this week, do you feel like if Utah goes to Stillwater gets it down against ok State, that puts them in the driver's seat to potentially win the conference.
Speaker 1: Even though it's only week four.
Speaker 6: Yes, I do, I do agree with that. And Spence, going back to last years, you were miss you were just making mistakes. You were misled. You were misled, and a lot of people were misled. They made it sound like, oh, it's just around the corner. It's just around the corner. And that was the longest, biggest corner I've ever seen. And of course you never ended up playing. And so that was not foolishness on your part. That was what everyone on the inside saw it, and then it didn't work out that way. So but if the US get this game on the road against the Cowboys, you know they're gonna have to They're gonna I mean, the Cowboys slowly been average at one hundred and twelve yards on the crowd. So as much as Oregon scaley and Cowboy, they can't talk about stopping the run, and that team so important to them. It is important to them, and they happen to have the Cowboys have a very good running back, but they are loading up all kinds of minds, all kinds of yardage on on through the air, and so the back half of that Utah defense is gonna have to play well and I thought what we saw against Utah State showed some vulnerabilities that I didn't think we would see. However, there's the mental side of the game too, and who you're playing. I am absolutely sure that the Utes are fired up to play this game in still Water, so I don't think you'll have any laps in focus or concentration against this kind of opponent to be physically good enough to shut that attag down.
Speaker 2: Tell me from the perspective of a season journalist like yourself. I said this earlier, intel the conference or college football excuse me, mandates that you report injuries. I understand why Kyle and his staff do what they do now, as somebody who covers the team and tries to talk to the community about the storylines, it drives me nuts that we have to deal with this.
Speaker 1: But what do you make of the.
Speaker 2: Dynamic in college football juxtaposed to the pros where you have to submit the injury report, where a lot of schools, including the Utes, just don't say a word in order to not tip their hand to the opponent.
Speaker 6: While all of college football is moving towards the professional model, and some of those things are maybe unfortunate. Some people see it like that. But this is one that they should change, and I think they will change. It needs to change. There's too great an interest, there's too much, there's too much riding on these games for guys not to be honest about who's going to be available, because that makes a huge difference. Obviously, a guy like Cam Rising, Are you kidding me that he's not available? Yes, you have a different way of looking at a football game. I think that's only fair. It's not just fair to the gamblers. It's fair to the fans, it's fair to the media, it's fair to everybody who loves college football. Tell the truth about who's going to be available. Who is it? Yeah, the NFL does that, right.
Speaker 2: Since we're in the space, I'll just ask you if it isn't Cameron, if we are, if we're sitting down on the couch, if we got the TV fired up and Utah, let's say they get the opening kick, they receive it, return it and boom first first in ten Utah and then out runs eleven and not seven, and it's Isaac can not Cam? Do you think they can go get That would be a big upset on the road with a true freshman in stillwater. Do you think Utah can get this game if it's not Cam and it is Isaac.
Speaker 6: I think it'll be much more difficult. And if I were Obama State and I saw Isaac Wilson come out on that field, I would do everything I could to disrupt him and hurry him up and make him feel uncomfortable, because the strength of his game is when he does get comfortable and he sits back in that pocket and he can look around and find his targets. So if I'm the Cowboys, if I see Isaac Wilson on the field, I'm going to do everything I can to to make him not just nervous but incapable at times of delivering the football.
Speaker 2: All Right, one more Utah storyline, then we'll move over to BYU. You were the guy that hopped on the show last week and said, quote, Wyoming sucks end quote, and you appear to be right, but I wanted to get your take on this.
Speaker 1: I was listening. We just talked to Bowler.
Speaker 2: I asked him this question because Joe Klatt, who Craig worked with for a number of years on the college football side.
Speaker 1: His podcast today.
Speaker 2: This is kind of his weekend preview pod, and Joel's one of the college football guys I like to listen to.
Speaker 1: I think he's really bright.
Speaker 2: And he previewed Okay, stay Utah, and then he went on a little Kyle Whittingham diatribe where he talked about and I want to get your take on this, because the topic of when will Kyle retire is not new in the marketplace, and part of it is because he drops hints here or there about not wanting to coach past sixty five, or on my show a couple of years ago when he asked what my dad is up to these days and I said he's kind of retired, spending time with the grandkids.
Speaker 1: He said, that's going to be me soon.
Speaker 2: Like Kyle does drop little tidbits and hints, you know, kind of chumming the water a little bit. But if Utah wins the Big Twelve this year, if they go go to the CFP and for the first time, coach wit has a chance to coach a team that really has a shot to win a championship. I don't think they're Texas or Ohio State or whatever, but you understand the spirit of the question, that will mean Kyle was here from the Whack to the Mountain West, winning Mount West Conference championships. From the Mount West to the PAC twelve winning Pac twelve championships, and going to the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl and then the Cherry on top of the Sunday is a CFP appearance and winning the big twelve year one. It is easy to surmise that that might be enough for a guy to look at the path behind him and say, man I did all I could. So that was kind of Joel's thinking earlier today. I wonder what you think about this. If if Utah is able to do all that, do you think this might be coach WIT's sponsong.
Speaker 6: All good logic there, because those of us who know Kyle have been talking to him about.
Speaker 7: This and it's not a drop easy.
Speaker 6: He sincere in what he's saying, and his reasons for talking about retiring are good ones. He talks about family and listening time with them and being able to do things with his grandkids and he hasn't been able to. These are all noble reasons for him to go. He's a better football coach now than he's ever been. He's got a great program going. The whole thing is moving forward, and so some people would say, well, why would you leave this, Well, he's got other things that he might do is more important, and he's already accomplished all this stuff that you talked about. And if they do go to the playoff this year, if I were on a scale from zero to ten, ten being most likely if they go to a college playoff and situation and represent themselves, well I would put that number about an age.
Speaker 2: All let's move over to BYU. Do you want to spend any time on the Wyoming game. You're the one that came on air last Thursday and said Wyoming sucks, b why you should roll?
Speaker 1: You were right, and they did give.
Speaker 7: Me your.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's exactly and Wyoming's not good. And Colisataki said afterward, you know, in so many words, he said, we probably should have won by more, but he felt good about what's happening with the team moving forward. But it's so hard to judge how good they are against that kind of opponent. I mean, that team is not good. And one thing that my covering college football through years has taught me is that the caliber of competition you're going up against is this is not exactly rocket science but it makes a huge, huge difference. Kansas State's a terrific team who and they can move the ball on the ground. They've got a quarterback who's a dual threat guy, and those are the kinds of quarterbacks who have caused BYU a lot of trouble in the past. Wyoming just didn't have the firepower to slow BYU down and the way it was necessary, even on their home field. So yeah, a nice win by BYU. But this week, this week is when we really start to learn about the Cougars.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: The defense through three games has been like last year was so weird. I'm watching BYU football, I'm like, wait a second, your head coach is Klonie Satakea. You just hired Jay Hill and you're like last in the nation in sacks. It was really strange. So they've flipped that this year and they have been really good defensively. Have you seen enough from BYU on defense to believe that on that side of the ball they can hang on Saturday night against a really physical Case State team.
Speaker 6: My number one question, well maybe probably number two, behind the quarterback situation about BYU is can they pressure the quarterback and you just address that. They surprised me in that regard. Klannie told me they were going to be able to do that, and I wasn't sure I believed him, But that is the best way to stop a gifted quarterback. Now this kids are going up against on Saturday night. You can pressure him, but he's mobile enough to move around, and so I don't know how that's going to go. But that defense is going to have to be stellar for the Cougars to get a chance to win that game, and they've got to stop They've got to stop that around game because I think KSE State is averaging like almost two hundred and seventy two hundred and sixty yards a game on the ground, and so will they be able to do that well? The run defense has been pretty good thus far. We'll see how it does against a really quality.
Speaker 1: Opponent, and you reference this.
Speaker 2: So for me, I feel like I've seen enough from BYU's defense and the respect I have for Jay and Kolani to believe that physically they can hang with most teams in the Big twelve. KSE State might be an exception, but I think Byu is going to be fine that way.
Speaker 1: To me, Gordon. This is a Jake retzov game.
Speaker 2: This is if BYU wants to win on Saturday in provo home field advantage, their quarterback has to be better than he has been, not just so far this year, but four stars last year. Like in my opinion, U y, you're about a touchdown underdog for them to pull off the upset at home.
Speaker 1: This is a Jake retz laf game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and no turnovers are a very few mistakes. He's got to be an intelligent, proficient quarterbacks because they're gonna have to keep up with k State because kse State is going to move the ball and they're going to gobble up yardies on the ground. Even with that BYU defense, I mean, these things they're connected. Is that by defense can keep k State off the field offensively, then that will give obviously Jake where it's a lot more opportunity to move the ball for the Cougars. And you know, I mean, I'm willing to give him a little slack. I'm willing to let him grow into that role because it's not an easy role. But when you're going up against this kind of opponent and all the fiddle faddling is done now you go out. You got to go out and be real and play good football. It's go time for BYU. Even though they do feel comfortable because they're playing on their home field, and they should, I mean, that is an advantage, but against this quality of an opponent, they're going to have to play their best game of the season by far.
Speaker 1: And you should probably know this, Gordon.
Speaker 2: On Saturday night, the BYU, the whoever's in charge of the game promotions, they've announced that they are offering the traditional maple glaze cougartail, but for Saturday night, which is also a whiteout, which is also known as Monday in Provo, they are offering a cougar tail with vanilla frosting too. Does that change your opinion on how the game will go on Saturday?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's the cougar's all the way. I mean, who wouldn't want that. It's been a long time. It's been a long time since I've had a cougar tail. But that sounds inviting to me. And you know what happens is and you know how it is in Provo, so utilize sugar in order to create energy because they can't really turn to other substances without breaking the honor code, so they go heavy on the sugar. It's probably less healthy than the things that are prohibited, but it's going to fire that crowd up, and maybe it'll fire up the actual players on the field too.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, all right, my friend, I appreciate your time today, save travels, and we'll get you back in the studio soon.
Speaker 6: Okay, alrighty next week we'll see you the.
Speaker 2: Great Gordon Monson from the Solid Tribune, my co host of The Big Show for seven years, Different time, different place. Appreciate Gordo's time on this Thursday afternoon. All right, Porter will be live pregame coverage Utah football coming up Saturday, starting at six thirty am.
Speaker 1: Is that six seven am? What is it? We'll be on at ten am, ten am.
Speaker 4: We'll be on ten am this week.
Speaker 1: Who's on with you? Jordan win Nie.
Speaker 4: Bye this week a guy who's well, let's say, pretty qualified to talk about quarterback ify situation. So well we'll get to all of that with our guys.
Speaker 1: And you will be bout time pub Jordan Landing.
Speaker 4: Bout time pub Jordan landing out there in West Jordan, So come by, say hello and grab some food and we'll have some tickets and tailgate stuff and a bunch of stuff to give away. So talking football, grabbing some wings and going from there.
Speaker 2: Saturday ten am, Porter Larsen Jordan Win check out the bout Time Pub location at Jordan Landing, so definitely check that out. Bout Time Pub is the place to watch well anything, NBA, NFL, UFC, NHL, you tell you it's football. Make bout Time your place for sports or even brunch. All food made from scratch, new mocktails for those of you who don't participate in partaking in alcohol.
Speaker 1: More TVs than tables.
Speaker 2: All bout Time TVs have their own receivers so they have all the games going live. So their locations are in Ogden, Late West Valley, West Jordan, Sandy Tula, Herman, Bluffdale, Lehigh and Vineyard, Utah. Sports bars celebrating our fifteen year anniversary. As Porter mentioned in House Smoke Wings build your own Bloody Mary Bar ten am to two pm during brunch, so check them out. Bout timepub dot com is where you get more information. The Big Show, Big Hour is brought to you today. Bye Big o'tires. Get our healthy car Special for fifty nine to ninety five, which includes a conventional oil change, checks on alignments, breaks, batteries, and more. Want to keep our customers safe on the road and help them save money on tires and service. There's always something on sale at Big O'tires, stopping any of our fifty locally owned and operated locations in Utah.
Speaker 1: Schedule and appointment online.
Speaker 2: Visit Big o'tires dot com to find a location near you. I will get back to some Utah football too, but joining me now. Did a great job on the broadcast, one of the best to ever do it at Utah State.
Speaker 1: He's a Super Bowl champ.
Speaker 2: Robert Turbin on the Drive on a Thursday, Robert, how you doing many?
Speaker 7: What's up man? I'm doing great. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time, so give us an updoate on what you're doing now. It seems like you're really busy. Like I said, you really go to the broadcasting stuff. How busy does that keep you? And what else do you have going on?
Speaker 7: Well? I appreciate that very much. It means a lot. You know, I started calling games for CBS in twenty twenty two, and you know, I've just done my best to try to build from there. My first year I did eight games, and last season I did eleven, and this year I've got a full slate of thirteen, including the Conference USA championship game at the end of the year. So not looking too far ahead, but certainly excited about that and all of these opportunities. I'm doing a little bit of what you're doing as well, a little radio action with Serious XM. I've got two of my own shows, and one of those shows being the Tailgate Show INFROL Radio Channel eighty eight every Sunday morning at nine Eastern times. Obviously, I'm in California, so I got to be up early and get you know, got my big cup of coffee to get the energy right to be fired up to do that. You know, still affiliated with the Seahawks and work about a game a month for their broadcast and uh and yeah, man, you know, just just trying to build my broadcasting career as much as possible. The last thing I'll say is you're in Sacramento where I live now Channel thirteen CBS, I'll do I'll do postgame analysis for them in regard to the forty nine ers of Raiders, just because that's the market here in this in this region of California. So it's been a fun ride, man, and just doing my best best to build it every year.
Speaker 1: All right, man, good stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, best of luck, and if you ever want to hop on to get some reps, of course, I always would love to interview a former Super Bowl champ.
Speaker 1: So you have a home here.
Speaker 2: But I wonder, Robert, what your impressions were last week of the Utah Utah State game and specifically what you saw from Utah's young quarterback to the true freshman Isaac Wilson.
Speaker 7: Well, I think Isaac showed that he's certainly going to be the future for Utah at quarterback. Now, you know, I know, like Kyle Whittingham, is big on competition, so he certainly won't be just handed the keys to the car. When that opportunity persists itself, He'll have to earn it. But he certainly displayed a lot of good things against Utah State last weekend. And I think the best part about his game, you know, outside of the physicality that he brings, you know from a throwing standpoint, be an actor and stuff like that. But you know, I thought, hey, his ability to be able to fight through adversity was a thing that stood out to me. You know, it wasn't like he played great against Baylor the week before when he got his opportunity, and it was a little bit of a slow start against Utah State, but he overcame that and you really saw him in the pocket look left, punk, fake, come back right, throw the ball on time, accurate, and he just started doing that throughout the entirety, well not the entire game, but mostly in the second half, but you started to see a lot of it, really that back half of the second quarter where he just boom a little shoulder stake that touchdown, he threw the money Parks in the end zone, he completely faked out Ike Larson with just a little slight pump fake to the right, I mean just a little shoulder and then boom came back to his left and was on target to money Parks in the end zone right there for the touchdown. So just seeing those things developed throughout the game was the most impressive part, and I think he's got a really broad future.
Speaker 2: So away from the quarterback position, what else on the and we'll get to the Utah State stuff in a minute, but what else on the Utah side most stood out to you.
Speaker 1: I mean, they were able to run the football.
Speaker 2: With Makai Bernard. I thought Utah State looked pretty good early. There was a lot of nervous youth fans after that early start from Utah State. But other than Isaac Wilson, Robert, what were some of your takeaways from watching Utah play last week.
Speaker 7: You know, one of the guys that stood out to me on the defensive side for Utah was Cameron Calhoun. You're talking about a freshman with not a lot of playing experience obviously at the you know, at the FBS level, and you know there were some moments in there where he got beat, but again, it was just this resilient mentality that you saw throughout a number of guys in the game. You recognize that Zamiah Vaughn, who was obviously the veteran corner for Utah, he was matched up with Jalen Royals throughout the entire game before he got injured. So that was a game plan for Kyle waiting him and Utah going into the game, and Cameron Holme was gonna have to supplement that. But it was going to be a challenge for him because he's just a freshman and Utah State like to put the ball in the air, and I thought he answered the call really well. So he's a guy that stood out to me. Uh in in that football game. Van Fillinger, I thought, did a nice job consistently putting pressure on the quarterback, particularly in the second half, getting his hands up and knocking the ball down. He's a he's a veteran player. He's been around this program a while, but I never got to see him play, you know, up close like that. I thought he was I thought he was really impressive. And so those are two guys that you know, I think on the defensive side. And then and then and then you mentioned it. I mean, the run game speaks for itself with Mackay Bernard and Mike Mitchell, just their ability to stay with it uh and uh and be able to close out games when they need to. They've done that consistently. Uh so far A little bit a little a little disappointed in Dijon Stanley, I'll lad, but I'm visiting a kid though that had a great potential. I thought he just had a bad I mean every now and then, he just had a bad You have an off day, And I thought Stanley just had an off day, a couple of drops. You know, his seat weren't under him, stumbling over his own feet, something wouldn't really see normally from him. But still a young player, a lot of potential, and this team has a lot of potential to go for in a big twelve.
Speaker 1: So your alma mater looked ready to go early.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Bryson Barnes played down here for a for a couple of different years, so you know, he knows the scheme, he knows the personnel, and threw.
Speaker 1: A couple of picks.
Speaker 2: But did you believe early on when Utah State took that lead that we were potentially in for an upset? What was your what was your confidence lever early on when Utah State came out and punched u TI right in the mouth.
Speaker 7: Well, I expect that. I expected Utah State to come out fast and you know, sort of have this uh you know, this energy about him to start the football game. The crowd was into it. There's a there's a quite a few a few players who transferred from Utah and who are now at Utah State. So I sort of expected them to have a fast start. And the other thing, too, was I mean, think about how the game finished for Utah against Baylor. I mean the second half, you could almost, even when good things are happening, after Camp Horizon was injured, you could really hear like a pit. I mean, the energy was just out of the stadium. The energy was out of the sideline. They were able to finish the game, but it kind of felt like they just sort of squeezed by to finish it and there was no energy. So it trickled into the start of Utah State where Utah just didn't have the energy there to start the game. And we spoke to colwitting hand before and I mean, obviously Utah's never overlooking anybody, but you know, it wasn't like Utah State is a team anymore that you know us to be honest about it, that Utah wants to play year in, year out anymore. You know, they they they've moved on to different things and they have different aspirations for their program, and so you know, from that standpoint, you know, maybe there was some you know, just the slow start. I think maybe some slight overlooking, especially with the Big Twelve opening, the Big Twelve coming up this week against Hey, maybe looking overlooking the Utah date a little bit, But at the end of the day, I felt like Utah was going to find their stride as they did, and find a way to pull it out in the second half. As they did. They took the lead before the end of the first half, and you know, I felt like it was it was kind of going to be their games from there. But I do give a lot of credit to Utah State. They did get it within seven right before they start of the fourth quarter, and so they fought that Utah was just the the better team that day.
Speaker 2: You know, Russul Feizon pulled his best Robert Turbin and went for a buck fifteen against a really good defense. I wonder what your take is, Robert on why Utah staid was able to find so much success on the ground against a defense that typically is very, very very good against the run. And then what Utah needs to do better coming up on Saturday against the guy who won the Doak Walker a year ago.
Speaker 7: Oli Gordon, that's a good question. I got a chance to talk to razul Fezar before the game, and you know, I just toilet said, look, you know, if you want to have some success today against this defense, you're going to have to attack these guys downhill, north and south. I mean, the minute you can get north, the second you can get north, getting north, and that is going to sort of be the formula for you and this run game to have success. And I think he did that, and I think this in general for Utah State was able to have some success against Utah because they they played the game vertical. Utah State, when you watch them, a lot of the things that they like to do offensively is east and west. It's lateral. It's the quick screens out wide to the wide receivers down the sideline. Hopefully they can make a guy miss and and make a make a play, you know. Down the field. It's it's the edge runs to the running back trying to get to the outside and you know, hopefully they're you know, they can beat them with speed and and I just felt like that wasn't going to do anything impactful against Utah and it didn't. Uh, And so because they had a more vertical game plan, that felt like, you know, they they had some success. So Utah didn't have to really uh sort of uh, you know, shape up a little bit within the middle of their defense. I think they're strong on the edges, uh, but they were. You know, Utah State was able to find some some success in between the two guards, specifically that you taught decent and the decincive tackles. And so they're gonna have to be a little bit more stout, maybe commit more, you know, people to the box. It's difficult to do that against Utah State because you know they're such a spread out team, but you know, if they can commit next to defender in there in the box, I think Utah can have a better day defending the run against Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: I know you don't live here anymore, Robert, but I am curious to get your take on how connected you remain to Utah State and other Utah State alums, and what your reaction is, and what the reaction is of great players like yourself who played here and stay connected to the program. About the chaos that ensued in Logan this offseason, costing Blake Anderson his job, Jerry Bovee and others let go, and Nate Dryling, while on a European trip with his wife, found out that he is now the head coach.
Speaker 1: As he was at a pub insk in Ireland. I believe.
Speaker 2: So it's just been a bizarre you know, five six months up there. What's the thought of Utah State Alum.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it has been and coach Nate Driling is you know, has been excellent, you know, to be able to step up in here. I believe he was in Ireland with his wife, but you know, to be able to step up and take on this role and this challenge and the and the kids that really responded very well to him. He only one player since he took over, transferred away from the program, and so that lets you know, and tells you a lot about coach Nate Driling and you know how he presents himself with the team thinks about him. But I am still very well connected to Utah State. I care about the university a lot. Obviously, it you know, it raised me, you know, in a way without the you know, the coaching and and uh, you know some of the people that I were able to connect with, some of the people who helped me throughout my collegiate career. Uh, there's no professional career for me. And so that goes from not just people in the football facility, but folks who live in Logan, you know, the actual community who were always there to lend a helping hand if and when needed, whether it was a summer job where there was like my car breaking down or something like that. I mean, all kinds of examples that I can go through, so very well connected. I'm developing a nice relationship with Diana, who's the new athletic director. Jered Bovey was a good, good friend of mine. I thought Coach Anderson was an awesome, awesome person, and him and I would talk, you know, on occasion, I can talk to my own coach, Coach Anderson, who actually came to sell me up in the booth actually at the game. So the connection and the love is very strong. It's there. It's unfortunate that all of these things and these events happened in the way that they did this off season, but you know, those are also things that aren't in my control. But what I can control is to continue to support the university the best way that I can, and that's what I try to do.
Speaker 2: All right, well said, I want to move back over to Utah. I want to ask you a question about Cameron Rising. You know QB one around here and you're a guy that played at the highest level, and you played at the highest level as a running back where you had the ball in your hand and very big, physical, large men were trying to kill you while you were running with the football. So the conversation around here, Robert has been now for a number of months, like when Cam gets back and what he's healthy. We've heard coach win, We've heard coach loud, We've heard the coaching and staff and other people around here saying that they have really done everything they can to try to help him understand how important he is to them and therefore get out of trouble. Is it possible to learn that when you are a competitive guy like Cameron Rising, and when you are a physical football player like Cam who plays a quarterback position with a lot of competitive fire, can you relearn how to play that position in order to keep yourself as safe as possible. Because we're three games in, he's already missed a game, and there's some conversation about what's next.
Speaker 1: So give me your thoughts on that, Robert.
Speaker 7: Will you Yeah, you can absolutely absolutely learn it. If you're intentional about learning something, you will. One of the examples I can give is Josh Allen, who is starting quarterback for the Buffalo those obviously believe you with to Wyoming sect me if I'm wrong, But you know his early years, I mean, he was just you know, throwing his shoulder head down, you know, wanted to impose his physicality on defenders. But when you watch him now, now there's still a certain level of athletics that he plays with and it's natural. But when he gets into space and he sees defenders, he slides. Josh Allen slides now when you watch. And so if you're intentional about playing the game a certain way, of course you can learn it. You absolutely can. And so came rising. He's just got to want that. He's got to want that for himself. But I can tell you this, if he doesn't, this is going to continue to be the result for him. Because the fact of the matter is, no matter how great of a quarterback you are, or how big or strong you are training or running back, you don't train the same way in the off season like a linebacker or a strong safety. You're not throwing the same type of weights around, You're not doing the same type of drills, You're not preparing for the same type of physicality to endure through an entire football season. Quarterbacks are dropping back, they're going through cones and are throwing the football as they should be doing, and therefore you need to slide. So if he's more intentional about having a long career and a healthy career, he'll fix this will no longer be an issue moving forward.
Speaker 2: All right, Robert, before I said you loose, you know, a big game for Utah on Saturday, as we've discussed against Oklahoma State Vegas. Has Utah's the favorite to win the Big Twelve. The media have picked them to win the Big Twelve as well, the Robert Turmin tick. What has to happen generally speaking, for Utah to get this done, win the Big Twelve and go to the CFP.
Speaker 1: How does it play out?
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, it's a great question obviously. Are you asking about just this game against Oklahoma State of the Big Twelve in general?
Speaker 2: The Big Twelve in general all seasons? Like, what has to happen for Utah to win the conference?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, cam Rise is gonna have to stay healthy number one, because he is a really good he's a great playmaker.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 7: That's gonna have to happen. Secondly, you know this running game this one two with Micai Bernard continue to be really really efficient. I mean, this is going to have to be the meat potatoes of their offense, you know, for them to have success control the clock and be able to play the type of offense that they want to. But this is all going to be about defense for me with Utah if they want to continue to if they want to win the Big Club this season. Takeaways on defense, being able to get pressure on the quarterback on a consistent basis, the combination of those two things, and then obviously stopping to run if you want to add a third wrinkle in there. But the defense is going to have to play like a top ten defense in my opinion for them to be Big twelve champions at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: All right, man, well good stuff. You want to call this weekend? Where can our listeners go find you?
Speaker 1: Coming up at?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 7: I'm actually off this weekend and my son is turning eight. So we've got a dragon Ball the themed birthday party going on on Saturday. So I'll be doing the dad thing this weekend, but the following week I will be in Wyoming. Speaking of Wyoming, they'll take on Air Force at home and I'll be on the call for that one.
Speaker 1: Well, enjoy the dad stuff. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Mine just turned twenty three, Roberts, so you're gonna blink and he's gonna be out of the house.
Speaker 1: So enjoy while you.
Speaker 7: Can, all right, I will. That's great advice, all right.
Speaker 2: The great Robert Turbin one of the best ever. Do it to Utah State and won a Super Bowl with Seattle. Now he's doing some broadcasting. He's really good at it. Hopefully he gets some more opportunities. Is on Twitter at Robert Jay. Turbin is where you find them. Want to tell you about my friends at Prize Picks before we catch a break. Prize Picks as America's number one daily fantasy sports app with over five million active members. Easiest and most exciting way to play daily fantasy sports. Unlike other apps, on Prize Picks, it's just to you against the numbers. All you do is pick more or less on two to six player stat projections and watch the winnings roll in. They're giving you one win, so just take it right out of the gates. One Caleb Williams passing yard gets you one win on Prize Picks every week in September.
Speaker 1: That's right, only.
Speaker 2: One Caleb Williams passing yard gets you an automatic win every week in September. Now take advantage of it on Prize Picks because it's gone when September ends. Download the Prize Picks up today and use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get a fifty dollars bonus instantly when you play only five dollars. That's promo code ESPN seven hundred on Prize Picks to get fifty dollars instantly when you play only five dollars. You don't even need to win to receive the fifty dollars bonus. It's guaranteed with our friends at Prize Picks. Run your game