Speaker 1: In this episode, we talk about former Bangladesh Prime Minister Shehai Casina, who conducted her first virtual media interaction since her auster and said that she will return to her country. We also talk about the Cast census and how cast data will be recorded in an open ended manner instead of having a pre defined list to choose from.
Speaker 2: But first we talk about.
Speaker 1: An Indian Express investigation into a new government fund meant to support India's deep tech ambitions. Hi, I am Aherikan Nanda and you are listening to three things the in an Express news show. It was last year that the government set up a fund to provide financial support to companies and startups working on cutting edge research in critical technology areas such as AI, semiconductors, quantum technology, robotics, healthcare and even defense. This was the Research Development and Innovation Fund. Now, the government has introduce used funds and schemes for similar purposes in the past as well. But what stood out about the RDI fund was the size of its corpus.
Speaker 3: It created a corpus of rupees one lack corore and its focus was these deep tech companies, the companies that were engaged in research and development in these deep tech areas.
Speaker 1: That's the intet expresses Amitapsinha, who writes on science and tech for the paper, and he says a fund like this is particularly important for the sector because it is inherently high risk.
Speaker 3: These companies are trying to create technologies for the future and there are very high chances of failure, because of which these companies often find it very difficult to raise money from the markets in a normal manner. Because our venture capital ecosystem is not that mature, it's still very risk overs and therefore these companies often find it very difficult to raise resources.
Speaker 1: And so this is why the government stepped in and decided to provide low cost loans to these companies for an extended period of time. And in its first round, the RDI Fund approved almost twenty two hundred corore in soft loans to twenty two private companies. But our investigation by the Indien Expresses found that fifteen of these twenty two companies have investment links to seven members of the fund's selection committee. In fact, together these firms received about sixty two percent of the total amount cleared. So to understand what exactly did the investigation find and what safeguards are needed when public money is routed through panels made up for private sector experts. My colleague Shasharma talks to The Indien Express's Amitabsina, who led this investigation for the paper.
Speaker 2: With the at a glance, this investigation is about the links between the people deciding where this public money goes and the companies that ultimately received it. So could you help us understand what the investigation found.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: So, the first round of funding from the RDI fund was recently completed thirtieth of April, and in that round, twenty two companies were selected for funding and loans worth a total of about twenty two hundred corores were finalized across all these companies. Now, the selected companies are all quite credible. A lot of them have actually already made a name for themselves. Several of them are pretty well known from this space sector, from healthcare, from in the quantum technologies sector. But there was a red flag, and the red flag was that fifteen of these twenty two selected companies were those in which one or more selection committee members had financial stakes. Now this selection committee members are from the private sector themselves, so theyre all are quite repute. And some of them recognizable names from the private sector. In fact, most of them are from the same technology ecosystem from which the startup applicants also come right. So, and this was done deliberately. It was thought that people who know that ecosystem would be the best to choose their right kind of companies. So it was deliberately done. But what happened was that this led to a sort of a conflict of interest kind of situation.
Speaker 2: And so did this system anticipate these kinds of conflicts?
Speaker 3: Yes, this kind of situation was very well foreseen, and there were rules to deal with no conflict of interest, and following those rules, in fact, the members, all those members who had a conflict of interest, they declared that interest and recused themselves from the evaluation process of these companies. So, to be fair, there was no wrongdoing that happened in this round, but there was still a red flag. There was still question marks because the problem was if so many companies, if fifteen of twenty two selected companies and that's almost like seventy percent of the companies had links with the selection committee members, you know, that can possibly have, you know, lead to a situation when people start doubting the process itself or that can create doubts in the system. So especially no, if you imagine companies that did not get selected, for example, now there is a possibility that they begin suspecting that they did not make it, mainly because they did not have anyone in the selection panel. So again not saying that this happened, but there is sort of a systemic vulnerability which the investigation was trying to highlight that optically this did not seem right and.
Speaker 2: Amob as you mentioned earlier, that it isn't that these companies were necessarily undeserving or that the panel members manipulated the process. So when we talk about a conflict of interest in this case, what exactly do we mean?
Speaker 3: Right, So, as we discussed, the companies that have been selected are quite credible, some of them well known as well. Also the people in this selection panel, they are pretty well known people. So you know, this matter actually came up in the Raja Saba also for discussion and it was brought in the Raja Saba by Congress MP Praveen Chakaworthy and even Praveen Chakroworthy when we were talking to him, he said, you know, he's absolutely casting no aspersions on any individual or any company. There was nothing that has happened in the first round of funding which can be described as wrongdoing. What he was highlighting and what the purpose of the investigation also was pointed to a systemic vulnerability and to explore with you know, additional safeguards were required to be put in place because we are dealing with public money. A large amount of public money is at stake. And although you know, mandatory recusal transparency is the standard practice in conflict of interest kind of situations, and that is also is very well addressed here. But because this is about public money, should there be extra guard rails that need to be put in place. So that is the where the debate is that, you know, should we have more safeguards when we are dealing with public money because this conflict of interest kind of situations they arise. You know, they are pretty common in the corporate world as well, and that's the standard practice to deal with them is to recuse yourself from the decision making process. But here we are dealing with public money, and that's the debate all about.
Speaker 2: Right, the rules require members to mandatorily recuse themselves from the entire process of evaluation of companies in which they or their immediate families or their funds have any interest in. And you know, this brings us to an obvious dilemma. I heard. So, if you want the country's best deep tech investors or entrepreneurs deciding which technologies to fund, aren't those same people almost inevitably going to have connections across this ecosystem because India's deep tech ecosystem remains relatively small.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. So that's the argument that is being given the fact that if you want the best people to select these companies, and the best people are part of that same ecosystem, they have known that ecosystem for a very long time, they have been part of it, they have backed these companies, they have invested in these companies, so they know these companies very well. And you have picked these people to select the company. So obviously these people would have connections in that ecosystem, they would know these companies, and they would have financial interest in these companies. So the precise reason for which you picked them to be part of this election panel would lead to this kind of conflict of interest situation. So, because this was inevitable and a lot of members. We spoke to all these people concerned, and we've also spoken to the government officials everyone who was concerned with this process, and all of them said that this kind of situation was no anticipated and it was very well foreseen that such a situation would arise, and that's why conflict of interest rules were the first rules that were drafted when they were creating, you know, this process. So it was very well anticipated, and you know, the member said, we knew that such a thing would happen, and therefore we have taken care to ensure that there is transparency and there are very strict rules, you know, recusing yourself and disclosing your interests and so amitov.
Speaker 2: If disclosure and ricusal aren't considered sufficient, what would a stronger system actually look like without stripping the Committee of the industry expertise it needs.
Speaker 3: Now, after the investigation came out, you know, the government also reacted very swiftly, and then they tried to explain why some additional safeguards were already in place, and then they said, look, we select the companies with a super majority. Super majority meaning you know, at least two thirds majority of the selection committee members. So only if two thirds majority agrees, then only a company is selected. So even if two or three people have doubts about a company, and these doubts can be about anything, these doubts can be about, you know, the financial interests of other members of the committee, then the company is not chosen. They also spoke about the fact that, you know, if any of these Selection Committee members, if they own a company, or they operate a company, or if they have substantial you know, stake in a company, those companies are not even eligible to become an applicant. Similarly, if they have any operational role in a company, then that company would not be eligible. In fact, you know, the second round of funding has now been finalized, and yesterday we came to know and we put out a story today in the newspaper that in the second round of funding, thirteen companies have been recommended for getting loans from our DII fund, and only one of them has is such that it has financial links with one of the Selection Committee members. As we go forward, you know, the list of companies which get selected will make it clear how transparent and how trustworthy this process is. But as of now, the investigation did the job of just pointing a red flag on a systemic vulnerability, so that you know people there and people outside also become aware of what is happening with a very important fund, with a flagship initiative of the government. People become aware and the people within the system also realize that there is scrutiny, that somebody is looking over them and therefore everything functions as per proper laid down norms.
Speaker 1: And next we shift our focus to ousted Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheik Hasina, who last week held her first virtual media interaction after feeling from the country two years ago.
Speaker 5: Today, I speak not only as someone who had the honor of Serbi Banglades five times as a Prime minister, but also as the daughter of the father of the Nationaman. I speak as someone who has spare her life the people of Bangladesh. I was forced away from my country, but I was never separated from my paper before I speak.
Speaker 1: In this interaction, which took place at the Foreign Correspondence Club of South Asia in New Delhi, she talked about her plans to return to her country, stand with its people and help improve their lives.
Speaker 3: This was the first media interaction where outsted Bangladesh Prime Minister shik Hasina, who's been living in India for the last two years. She addressed the media and took questions.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian Express's diplomatic affairs editor, Shubuji Troi.
Speaker 3: And she timed it with the fifth of August, the day she kind of fled Bangladesh two years ago in the face of protests and violent protests in her country against her and her government.
Speaker 4: So that was sort of important moment.
Speaker 3: The fact that she chose to speak out and also answer questions. Some questions, she also dodged some questions, But overall, this interaction that took place at the Foreign Correspondence Club of South Asia, I think that was a significant political move from her, I mean considering that two years have passed since she fled her home country, so that I think was the most remarkable thing. And then obviously during their question answer also she and her son Saji was Joi, who had joined her from the US. She was an audio mode, whereas her son Saji Joi who joined from the US where he lives, and he was on video mode as well. So that's how this particular interaction took place on fifth of August.
Speaker 1: Now hasina stay in India has already had an impact on relations between India and Bangladesh. Bangladesh had, in fact raised concerns about Hasina holding such a media interaction, while India ahead of the event made it clear that it was being organized by a private entity and that the government had no role in it. But will this incident further strange ties between the two countries and what is the significance of Hassina's statements. To answer these questions, we speak to Shubaji in this segment. Shubiji, why do you think Hassina has held this media interaction Now? It's been two years since she fled Bangladesh, So why was the press conference conducted now?
Speaker 3: So you know, last time she spoke was through a video recorded message. A similar interaction at the same venue at sec Forum Correspondence Club where an audio recorded message was played out in January this year, just about a month before the elections took place in Bangladesh, and at that point in time, her pitch was that you know, Awami League has been banned from contesting the polls and it should be now that the elections have taken place without the participation of the Awami League which is her party, and BNP which is led by Tarik Rahman who is now the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, has taken charge and a few months have rolled by.
Speaker 4: I think she is now trying.
Speaker 3: To position herself and her party for contesting the elections in the future next time.
Speaker 4: Whenever the elections take place. It's a five year.
Speaker 3: Term that Tarik Rahman has, so still there is a lot of time to come. But I think the fact that the first few months has been challenging economically for Bangladesh and the Bangladesh government has faced economic challenges because of the rise in oil prices, gas prices in the country because of the war in West Asia. So I think she's trying to look at this as an opportune moment where she could to start her political campaign for a comeback in the next set of elections that will take place in Bangladesh about five years from now.
Speaker 1: And during the event, she mentioned that she has plans of returning to Bangladesh. So what significance does her statement hold.
Speaker 3: Well, Nierika, she said that she plans to return to her country and that is Bangladesh and stand with its people and help improve their lives now you know. She has said this once before in an interview to Reuters in July this year last month, but this is the first time she made it sort of in a much more public platform answering questions. When she was asked about when does she plan to return, she indicated that December is the month that she's looking at because December is, as we all know is She said that it's a vic month of victory, is a victory month for Bangladesh, essentially referencing and alluding to the nineteen seventy one War of Liberation of Bangladesh, which is the India Pakistan War as well, where on December sixteenth, Bangladesh was liberated. I mean basically East Pakistan was liberated from West Pakistan and Bangladesh was formed.
Speaker 4: So she indicated that as the timeline.
Speaker 5: Whatever fate evers me, I will return to my people. I cannot stay away while my Pilabit county men are suffering. I know I may be detained, I may be sent to pision, they may try to reinforce verts issue in fabricated cases. But fear cannot decide my duty to the people my life.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously this has created quite a ripple in Bangladesh, and we have to see how this sort of plays out politically because she faces several charges. She faces death sentence in Bangladesh for essentially ordering the shooting of the protesters and killing of protesters in Bangladesh. You know, according to different estimates. I mean, the Bangladesh government's estimate says eight hundred people were killed. Un estimate says fourteen hundred people were killed, but it needless to say it's in that range. So the large number of people were killed or they died during the protest. And so she faces these grave charges. So we have to see how this plays out, how her statement plays out in Bangladesh, and whether she's actually able to return to Bangladesh.
Speaker 1: And what kind of a reaction has Bangladesh had to this media event and her statement.
Speaker 3: So Hasina's statement was about twenty three minutes and then again I think fifteen twenty minutes of Q and A was there. Well, she answered some of the questions and she kind of said that she talked about Bangladesh's crisis and political crisis and law and order situation and all of that. So a statement has been rejected by the Bangladesh government.
Speaker 4: And manager government in fact.
Speaker 3: Raised it issued a pretty strong statement saying that their outraged, they deeply regret that in spite of concerns conveyed to the Indian government and about the likely ramifications of this media and traction, it was.
Speaker 4: Allowed to be held.
Speaker 3: So I think the senses that in Hakka, although the press conference was barred from being broadcast in Bangladesh using their draconian media censorship laws, that in fact the Hakka has sort of faced earlier as well, Asina herself had blocked similar press conferences or media statements are broadcast by Tarik Rahman, who was in London back in the day for about seventeen years. So the Tarik Rahman government used the same laws to block Hasina's press conference to be broadcast in the media on fifth of August. Nevertheless, I think people have heard her through different channels and different ways.
Speaker 1: And Shubiji the fact that this event took place in Delhi, how could that impact India Bangladest relations.
Speaker 3: So there has been a sense of disquiet and concern in Dhaka, as have gathered after talking to people there that people in the government and the political establishment feel that this only reinforces the belief that India is pro Awami League, is pro Hasina and is unable to reconcile to the new political realities where BNP and JAMA are the two major political players, and Bangladesh had forewarned in the Indian government that they should not allow this to happen. But the Indian government's position has been that it does not endorse the views. It is not organizing those views. It is being done by a private entity. There's no government control in it. But many in Bangladesh government view this as sort of allowing this presconsience to happen. They perceived this as like couldn't have happened without the support or the blessings of the Indian government.
Speaker 4: Now we don't know whether that's correct or not, but.
Speaker 3: It's fair to say that, you know, the fact that she's been living here for the last two years and this is the first time she spoke out. The impression is that the Indian government had sort of, if not you know, saying it, but at least they were aware of the fact that what kind of reaction it would generate from Dhaka. So many in Dhaka view this as a misstep at a time when the Tarakrahman government and New Delhi trying to repair tie. And this also puts the possible visit by Tarak Rahman for the Brick Summit in September Injio party. So we'll have to see how the Indian government is able to navigate and get past this Deitler challenge that this particular episode has thrown up.
Speaker 1: And in the last two years has the relationship between the two countries improved at all? What trajectory did the relationship follow after Hassena was ousted?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, after Hassina was ousted, the interim government was raised the issue of her extradition back to Bangladesh and the Indian government has not responded to that officially, essentially not responding it positively so far. So that created some bit of tension between India and Bangladesh.
Speaker 4: And also we saw, you know, some sort of.
Speaker 3: Political persecution and revenge was the order of the day. There was a law and order situation in Bangladesh where Awami League.
Speaker 4: Supporters were targeted.
Speaker 3: Which included some Hindus as well, and the Indian government under the BJP had raised the issue with Bangladesh. However, I mean things did not sort of change dramatically in the one and a half years and that Prosor Mahmad Yunus, the Nobel Laureate was in charge, was leading the interim government post.
Speaker 4: Elections in Bangladesh.
Speaker 3: I think there's been outreach by the two sides, so there's been some improvement, some positive movement. For example, Vida services have been brought back in the last few months, although not in full throttle like it used to be pre twenty twenty four, pre August twenty twenty four. But no, nevertheless it has restarted. But you know, there are a number of river share water sharing packs that are said to be the renewed the one in Ganga Ganga Water Treaty sharing treaty needs to be renewed this year. Also, the Tista Water Sharing Pact has been in limbo for almost two decades now, and you know the trade restrictions are in place, so there are no new projects that have started between the two sides. So overall the relationship is still was limping back to normal.
Speaker 4: See, but I think there's a long.
Speaker 3: Way to go and an episode like this definitely plays a role and definitely casts a shadow on the trajectory of the relationship.
Speaker 1: So Shiubiji in this situation, what is India's next move, what does it need to be careful about and how is it expected to proceed going ahead?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there is sort of there are different ways that India could follow and the Indian government has to take a call on that. Well, right now, it has given Hasina a shelter and refuge in India, no questions asked about that, and the Indian government, according to Asina's son Joy himself, has been giving a pretty good treatment at treating her like what he called like a head of state with full services and security. And that is sort of a thing that will continue, is my sense. But you know, many experts your field and the analysis that Delhi probably is trying to create a leverage by using the form of PM and her ste statements and her silences to gain some diplomatic quid pro quae quo in negotiations on trade, water, economy, politics, security and range of tricky areas. With Bangladesh, there is a template with other political leaders being given asylum. I mean I want to politically, but I mean high profile leaders. So for example, in India, if you remember the Tibetan leader and his holiness, the Dalai Lama. He's been given refuge since the late fifties and it has angered annoyed China, but nevertheless India has continued to give him and the Tibetan community in a refuge. And there's a whole Tibetan community here and we'll love to see whether the Indian government also takes a similar approach with Shee Casina.
Speaker 4: But it will be.
Speaker 3: A sort of a tough task because in this kind of situation where Shee Casina's political future lies in going back or to Bangladesh or letting her children like her son, her daughter, who are also politically involved and have political ambitions for them to go back. So in future we have to see how it plays out.
Speaker 1: And in the end we talk about the cast census to be conducted alongside the population enumeration phase of the census. The Indian expresses Deepimantivari reported that there is a strong general of India has decided to use an open ended question on cast rather than a drop down menu for the same This format is likely to produce results similar to the twenty eleven exercise, when the Social Economic and Cast Census was conducted sources in the Ministry of Home Affairs said enumerators will simply ask people to state their cast and record the answer verbatim, without attempting to classify surnames, subcasts, or other responses into broader cast categories. Population enumeration, along with cast senses, will be conducted across the country in February next year. However, in hilly and snowbound areas, the exercise will begin from the first of September this year to avoid difficulties during the winter months. The decision comes after the RGI considered using a drop down menu drawing from the Central and state lists of casts, particularly for the other backward classes or the OBCs. The census already uses a drop down menu for recording notified schedule casts and schedule tribe communities, that is, the SC and the ST communities. However, when the open ended question on cast method was used for the twenty eleven socioeconomic and caste senses, the exercise had failed to produce usable cast data, largely because of poor data quality, the absence of a standardized cast tertistry, and flaws in operational design. Since respondents could self report cast names without verification, the exercise generated and administrative nightmare. The final data set contained over forty lack distinct cast names compared with four thousand, one forty seven casts recorded in the last comprehensive cost census in nineteen thirty one. But the government maintains that an open ended response is the only way to conduct the exercise without the state itself becoming an arbiter of cost identities. An MATEUR official told Deep Demand that census is not a verification exercise. It is only a recording exercise. It does not ask for evidence against your claims. The decision also addresses a concern raised by the RSS and sections of the Sung Parivar over the use of existing central and state caste lists. They had argued that relying on such lists could further entrench what they view as a cost architecture institutionalized under British rule. The choice of an open ended format, however, leaves the government with the challenge to convert millions of individual responses into reliable, standardized cast data without appearing to determine or alter what respondents have reported. You were listening to Three Things by the Indian Express. Today's episode was edited and mixed by Surish Bawar and produced by Ichas Sharma and me Nihari Kananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we'll like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indianexpress dot com.