Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: On Capitol Hill.
Speaker 1: The Secret Service at the center of the House's investigation into the first assassination tempt of former President Trump. That investigation now will be expanding to include a second where we kick off swamp watch.
Speaker 3: Swamp is horrible, The government doesn't work.
Speaker 4: Man, well, make us like a reality TV show, A bad noose, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 5: Hey, Joey, A town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 3: Still a swamp. I have a watch of Malarkey. Boy said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 2: I said, Oh, that's so hope keep you.
Speaker 4: Know the thing, well, uh, The head of the US Secret Service has suggested that the acting Director of the US Secret Service.
Speaker 3: Says that we need help.
Speaker 4: We need help from Congress to make sure that people don't get, you know, assassinated.
Speaker 6: Our folks are rising to this moment.
Speaker 3: Frame will require actually.
Speaker 6: All of us to be able to have good conversations and make sure that we're getting the Secret Service where it needs to be and I'm confident that we will achieve that.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the problem.
Speaker 1: There was no communication between the Secret Service and this spur of the moment decision for the former president to play a round of golf. They said that it wasn't on his official schedule, and stop short of saying we didn't have time to do a sweep of the golf course.
Speaker 2: But a golf course and doing a sweep of it should be something.
Speaker 1: That the Secret Service can get together right away, last minute, right and like you said earlier, if that means telling the former president, hey, you we're going to have to push back your tea time ninety minutes, then that's what they're going to have to do. There seems to be a lack of communication for whatever reason and why he was able to be there for twelve hours. We heard from the FBI that this guy started staking out golf course at about two am on Sunday. Twelve hours later, as Trump was golfing, a Secret Service agent walking the perimeter sees the semi automatic rifle poking.
Speaker 2: Through the shrubbery. He fires at him.
Speaker 1: This guy takes off and was later arrested by local law enforcement. Pretending just to be going about his day driving like anybody else on the road. But there's so many questions about this, like how did he know Trump would be there if he got And that plays into my conspiracy theory about this, not that Trump just needed attention, and that somebody in the inner channel back channeled and found this guy and kind of led him and manipulated him to get out there. Because it wasn't on an official schedule. The Secret Service didn't even know Trump was going to be there, So how did this guy know? And the only thing I can think of is if he got there at two am just because he's a crazy person and wanted to be close to something Trump and it happened to be his golf course and he could get access to and then he sees maybe much ado about, you know, he sees much of a presence, a sudden police presence there.
Speaker 2: Then he just stays there too.
Speaker 4: There's two things about it, and I'm not shooting holes in your theory at all. The knowledge that we have that he was there for twelve hours, to be technically correct, his phone was there for twelve hours. Now that could have meant that he even I mean doesn't again, it doesn't pull the rugout from your conspiracy theory.
Speaker 3: Maybe he just put his stuff there and was going to come back.
Speaker 4: The other thing is that, yes, the addition of around a golf was not on the calendar. Who was not on the schedule last minute decision or early morning decision whenever the president made that decision to go out and hit the links. But he plays golf regularly on Sundays. That's kind of a that's a known thing for him. And I don't know if this guy did enough research to find that out and maybe just take a shot in the dark, pardon the pun, he was going to end up on the golf course.
Speaker 3: It's also very common.
Speaker 4: I don't know how common it is for Trump, but it was pretty common for Bush and Obama to start around to golf but not finished. They'd get out there and they'd do six holes or nine holes or whatever, but they wouldn't play all eighteen.
Speaker 3: Now, granted he was on, he was on the way out.
Speaker 4: He was still playing I think fifth hole, sixth hole somewhere in there when this happened. But there's still I mean, John Kennedy, the Senator out of Louisiana, had suggested we need more answers than the Secret Service needs money, Yes, exactly, And I think that's a great way to put it, because there's so much of this. If you look at the layout specifically of this golf course, it's surrounded on four sides basically by thoroughfares, by big five lane roads, and it's not that hard to get a couple of Secret Service SUVs or local law enforcement out there, just to slowly right along the perimeter of the golf course on the outside of the fence.
Speaker 1: And if he had come out and said, you know what, we're spread really thin. We've got a sitting president, we've got a sitting vice president running for president, and a former president running for president, and we don't have the manpower, so we need more money.
Speaker 2: That would be one thing. But he did not say that.
Speaker 1: He just came out and said it wasn't on the official schedule, sir.
Speaker 2: That is not an excuse.
Speaker 4: We know that the state of Florida is also looking at its own investigation. Ron DeSantis, the governor, made the announcement yesterday.
Speaker 7: I'm signing an executive order assigning the case involving the attempt at assassination a former President Donald Trump to the Office of statewide prosecutor under the supervision of Attorney General Ashley Moody. The suspect, Ryan routhe has believed of committed state law violations across multiple judicial circuits in the state.
Speaker 4: And DeSantis made a point I mentioned this earlier. He said, it's he is not comfortable with the FBI and the Department of Justice doing the investigation into these assassination attempts when they're also going after Trump in their own criminal.
Speaker 3: Investigations against him.
Speaker 4: So now, the guy who did this, the guy who was arrested for this, has an arrest record that goes back to the eighties and was a complete weirdo, a complete crazy person. That doesn't absolve the Secret Service of their responsibility to protect even from the crazies.
Speaker 3: I also have information.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know what it is. I know what it is.
Speaker 3: What is what is it?
Speaker 2: It's the news and Bruce, we have a news.
Speaker 4: And Bruise coming up next week. As a matter of fact, Bjay's restaurant in Brue House at one sixty sixty Beach Boulevard one six zero six zero Beach Boulevard, right there at Beach and Eden Jurch, just off the four h five Freeway once again. That is a really really fun place to do a News and Bruce in Huntington again Thursday. We're going to do it on Thursday. We have a special event coming a week after that also.
Speaker 2: So we're doing both of those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, is it? Okay?
Speaker 2: No, that's great.
Speaker 1: The last I heard we were doing one or the other, and I like to know that we're doing both.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you we're doing next Thursday for sure, okay. And I believe we're also doing something special the week after that, but we will. We'll get into that a little bit later.
Speaker 2: But could you like your Jeopardy question?
Speaker 4: Our News and Bruce coming up Thursday, BJ's Restaurant and brew House on Beach Boulevard in Huntington.
Speaker 1: Beach Double initial guys for six hundred dollars initial guys, JJ Star Trek Beyond producer.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, who's JJ abrams ding ding Ding?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one, double double Okay. I like that. Bottom of the hour.
Speaker 4: We'll get into this story today about how scientists to figure out how many chemicals enter our bodies from food packaging.
Speaker 2: Oh, that sounds great, and West I.
Speaker 3: Think in the last I don't know.
Speaker 4: Month, I've thought more about food packaging than at any other time in my life.
Speaker 2: Why is that I have?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're finally affecting me. Maybe the microplastics are taking over my brain.
Speaker 2: Well, like, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Well, the reason I think of it is we all grew up with tupperware, right, or some knockoff version of it. We always had this, you know, pressed plastic stuff that we kept our food in and then we'd heat it up in that stuff, in the microwave of it and all that, and never thought twice about whether or not any of the stuff from the plastic was getting into our food. It didn't make any sense, Like we we couldn't see it on a microscopic level. We thought, well, that's a hard surface, there's no way that it's going to leach anything into my food.
Speaker 3: And we go about eating our food.
Speaker 2: We ate so much plastic, we ate everything.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing is we now see these stories about microplastics showing up in food, in baby formula, in fish.
Speaker 3: How could it not be in our bodies?
Speaker 4: And it's in you know, those plastics exist in all kinds of different wrapping and packaging et cetera. Even if you go to the highest end markets, you know, you go to Arawan, or you go to Trader Joe's, or you go to Whole Foods or something Gelson's, there's plenty of plastic packaging that still exists in those places that could be part of the problem. Anyway, I don't know why, but I have thought about that more and we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about that more? Or the Golden Bachelorette premiering tomorrow more? Has it been plastics or Golden Bachelorette premiere?
Speaker 4: I honestly didn't know that that. I thought that had already started.
Speaker 2: We're going to.
Speaker 1: Watch that together though, right like we're gonna I mean, not together in the same room.
Speaker 2: But you will keep on top of all of that.
Speaker 4: Probably will because I had such To be honest, I did have fun watching the Golden Bachelor.
Speaker 2: I know it's more fun when they're are age, it's more fun. And I did.
Speaker 1: Twenty something year old who don't know how to get they're just uninteresting.
Speaker 4: I did, And I did like the woman who has become the Golden Bachelor. She dropped out of the last last year's season early. What did you like about her.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just thought that she was She seemed normal, she seemed realistic compared to some of the other women. So we're in the middle of a swamp watch talking about what's going on in DC, specifically, of course, uh the ongoing discussions about the Secret Service and its responsibility.
Speaker 3: It's primary responsibility when it comes to.
Speaker 4: Protection of dignitaries, and in this case, their biggest protection detail the president's presidents, multiple of the United States, and presidential candidates and former presidents, all of which combined to give you Donald Trump. And I discussed you know that this guy supposedly had a the potential gunman. I guess you could say, because he didn't actually get off a shot, that he was crazy by all intents and purposes. He had a massively long criminal history. He was trying to fight on behalf of Ukraine, which could be honorable in and of itself, but it's also one of those things where if you're going to actually do it, there takes a certain amount of crazy to actually get on a plane and go into a war zone like that. There is also neighbors who said that he would keep a horse in his house, that he was a hoarder that he would that he was just an odd duck to begin with, So which raises the question that I don't know the answer to. Somebody in the Secret Service might what is the bigger threat? Is the bigger threat that crazy loaner like this guy was, like that kid in Butler, Pennsylvania appeared to be or is it an organized kill team coming in from somewhere else where if they wanted to an Iranian backed group of mercenaries whatever wherever, wanted to target the president and simply had patience that golf course was the softest of targets.
Speaker 1: Well, we have talked about this before and the types of threats and the types of shooters and the you know, all the backgrounds that goes into that.
Speaker 2: The answer is both all of the above.
Speaker 1: There they're all threats, foreign backed people that are that are here already living here legally, the crazy guy in his basement with half purple hair.
Speaker 2: It's all a.
Speaker 1: Problem, which is why you need to have a robust secret service. And I do think it was a win for them that they were able to spot this this gun through the shrubbery, but the excuse of it wasn't on his official schedule to me is just something I cannot compute. If he decides at the last minute game time decision he's going to go play a game of golf, then the first call from whoever is with the president is to the The Secret Service should be in the car. The Secret Service should be there. They're all hands on deck right away.
Speaker 3: Step one, sweep the course.
Speaker 2: Step one, sweep the course exactly. That would be the first thing you did, What the hell are they doing?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 6: Want?
Speaker 1: I want like a play by play, detailed list of a time stamp of what happened following the knowledge that he was going to be out there.
Speaker 2: It's very convenient that we're not hearing that.
Speaker 4: Speaking of campaign stuff, Vice President Harris scheduled to appear today in Philadelphia, and in fact she's going to be interviewed by three members of the National Association of Black Journalists. If you remember, that was the sit down that former President Trump was in when he suggested that she had been black, but only for a few years, because before that she identified as Indian. He is holding. Former President Trump is holding a town hall event in Flint, Michigan. I saw earlier that Jadie Vance was also in Michigan. So that's what's going on on the camp paint trail.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next Tasty Tuesday, could it be we're going to talk about plastic and food packaging. If plastic doesn't taste good, you don't know that, you've probably had a lot of plastic.
Speaker 2: I bet you.
Speaker 1: I bet you encountered some tupperware cleaning out your parents' house that you remember as a youth, because my mom still has plastic bowls and things that I remember as a youth.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean.
Speaker 1: We we we just kind of made some headway. The last time I was up there cleaning out the spice drawer, the spy the spice rack had spices from the seventies, and I was like, we got to get we got to go through this. We're going to get this done.
Speaker 3: You hold on to it long enough and it's become it's going to become a treasure, like you know.
Speaker 1: And I did kind of feel bad throwing some of that stuff out like this, this spice has been in this home longer than I've been alive.
Speaker 3: That's always That's always very sly.
Speaker 2: From a company that went fumed in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 4: Again, I don't know if I can trace this to anything specific, if it was a story I read, a conversation I had. But I've been much more aware of the kinds of packaging that our food comes in, and especially things like you know, heating up leftovers and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And there's a new study that came out.
Speaker 4: This was researchers in Switzerland, Switzerland and other countries, but based there in Switzerland, discovered that about of the fourteen thousand known chemicals that go into food packaging. Of the fourteen thousand, about thirty six hundred of them, almost a quarter of them have been found in our bodies blood samples, hair samples, breast, milk, et cetera that I hear packaging.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's just how much from goldfish?
Speaker 3: That's what I thought.
Speaker 4: Metals, volatile organic compounds PERR, and polychloro accals.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to say that substances.
Speaker 2: I think you nailed that.
Speaker 4: Valleys many others known to disrupt our indocrine system cause cancer and other diseases.
Speaker 2: So we should just eat from the ground like Deborah does.
Speaker 4: Well, there is something to be said about that, isn't there. I mean, there's a sure even if you're going to something like a farmer's market. You would regularly have a farmer's market, or you have a produce place that you go to, or you trust the local grocery store and the produce that they have. There's something to be said about simply getting your food and either taking it out of the plastic that it comes in, or never putting it in the plastic. We've grown accustomed to everything comes in plastic, and that keeps it safe and clean or dry or whatever you need to keep the elements away from it, but that those elements may be the things that are end up giving us, you know, gallbladder cancer or whatever.
Speaker 1: So have you changed your behaviors when it comes to packaged food since you've been putting more thought?
Speaker 4: I do think that I do pay attention to the I don't know if I've changed my behavior a lot, but there are things that i will do intentionally now going forward, which is, if I'm going to reheat something, I'll take it out of the plastic that even if I store it in plastic. I got those little snap where things whatever everybody else has, but I'll take it out of that before I put it in the microwave. Because they also say that high temperatures can cause some of these chemicals to leach more quickly into the food, which is why they tell you avoid putting microwave or avoid microwaving stuff in the takeout container, especially if it's that pressed foam stuff, and put it into a glass bowl or a ceramic bowl or something and do it that way, because remember, you don't remember there was a time when we didn't have microwaves.
Speaker 2: And I don't remember.
Speaker 4: The idea of reheating food was you took it out of whatever container it was stuck in the stove, put it on the stove, or put it back in the oven or something like that, and that has kind of gone by the wayside. I don't think microwaves themselves are dangerous. I'm not that guy. But the idea of putting something in a micro food in something and then in a microwave, might, you know, cause some question.
Speaker 1: I'm a little bit shocked by your take on this, cause you're kind of like, I eat dog food, I'll eat something off the floor.
Speaker 2: My stomach is made of steel.
Speaker 1: There's nothing that can hurt my immune system kind of guy.
Speaker 4: Well, I have said that I do have the gut biome of a Haitian street dog, which takes on a different connotation in the current event. But I have said, listen, I don't often I have been in situations where other people get sick eating food that I don't get sick, and we eat the same thing.
Speaker 1: And now you're worried about the plastics though, So that's fascinating to me. Jacob I think warms up his lunch in the tupperware that he brings.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Jacob is yours is glass glass. Yeah, it's a plastic lid though. Oh, you got to get rid of that plastic lid.
Speaker 4: Well, what if it's bills, Put a paper towel over the top of that.
Speaker 2: That plastic lid is going to kill you. Nice knowing you. Oh well, I hope that chicken and rice is good to do.
Speaker 3: What about that goldfish you just had?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm eating like a child because I hit up the meal room before I get here. Is free you just have like yeah, they have like snackshout like meat, jerky and goldfish.
Speaker 4: You hear that, guys, They have free stuff in other iHeart offices.
Speaker 2: No, No, this is the Chargers meal room.
Speaker 4: The Chargers meal room. What do you think so this is days old now?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, the teams at the hotel, the meal rooms open.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see what you're saying, got.
Speaker 1: Twenty four hours, so they've just got like snacks laying around there. However, to your point, they do have free snacks at Charlotte iHeart, just like they.
Speaker 2: Did in Chicago. But we do too.
Speaker 1: We have a snack drawer. Michelle manages our snack drawer at work in Burbank.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's some Michelle, that's not the company. So she does it out of the goodness of her heart. She doesn't because she's a good person. Why do you give her some money? I do give her money.
Speaker 2: Okay, good.
Speaker 3: That poor bag never stood a chance.
Speaker 4: No, it did not sound a surprise. It sounds like you're just eating the bag.
Speaker 3: Im hi hi ye.
Speaker 8: This is Heather from Oxnard. Oh my gosh, Annon, I literally laughed out loud in my car when you were talking about the spice rack and the spices being like alive, older, like longer than you were. My mom same thing right above the stove, and I would tell her about it, and she say it's still good as long as it's not moldy. Yeah, thank you guys are awesome.
Speaker 1: By I mean, when do you think those spices lost any sort of spice flavoring, because they do turn bad. I mean not bad or they're going to hurt you, but they're just not going to add any spice to whatever you're trying to say.
Speaker 3: Fights up, They're just going to taste like sawdust at some point.
Speaker 9: Gary, you're talking about the plastics and the food right now. You've got to check out the podcast A Tucker interview with Casey Means. She had a book too, called Good Energy.
Speaker 3: She's a doctor.
Speaker 9: She talks about how the processed food we're eating is just basically poisoning and poisoning us all the plastics in the packaging, in the environment.
Speaker 3: It's really good, really good.
Speaker 9: Listen, and I'm about halfway through the book and it's pretty eye opening.
Speaker 4: I haven't read the book, but I did hear that podcast that may be what to Flip the Switch and me Casey means her brother Calli means, we're both.
Speaker 3: On that podcast with Tucker Carlson. Listen. You know it's not the Tucker part that was important.
Speaker 4: It was the part that it was Casey and Calli means, but it's really good.
Speaker 6: One more, that's interesting listening to you guys talking about the attempted assassination on Trump. Gary keeps saying a crazy guy. He's a lunatic, he's crazy. Yeah, of course, Gary, that's because your party, the Republican Party, has made it possible for crazy people to go into a store and buy all the guns, all the AMMO they want. You can thank the Republican Party for this. They're the ones who want terrorists and criminals and mental patients to have AR fifteen.
Speaker 3: All right, First of all, not my party.
Speaker 4: Second of all, you cannot go into any gun store in California and just buy as much as you want. Third thing, the guy broke every law designed to keep guns away. So you're going to make a law that keeps crazy people away from guns. That's a good thing. The crazy people are not going to follow the law. That's by definition what makes them crazy to begin with. But well, let's make another law just in case, so that maybe the crazy people stop.
Speaker 3: I'm done.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about kids that have no friends.
Speaker 3: Good idea.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary and Shannon, this is Shannon for Mission Dieho. I have three kids, one who's almost nineteen in college. And he can't make friends because apparently in college friendships are not like snapchat. You can't just talk to somebody for five seconds and then not talk to them again. So he can't figure out how to make friends. And then my other two kids, who are nine and four, I have no friends now these days. Who will even let any kids.
Speaker 3: Have a sleepover.
Speaker 9: It's just non existence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard that, And what's the deal with that?
Speaker 1: I mean, those were some of the best nights of my life, laughing till my stomach hurt, eating junk food, watching horror movies and you know, just talking all night like that was some of the best times.
Speaker 4: I think it's just the ubiquity of bad stuff that's available to kids today. What do you mean without porn, horror movies, whatever thing you don't want your kid to do too early is available.
Speaker 1: Why don't you just take your kids phones or whatever, put them in a box ups, throw the kids in another room, and just give them an old fashioned television do you have to?
Speaker 3: Which is fine?
Speaker 4: I agree, but but you've got to coordinate that with where your kids are going with the parents. Are they on the same page with you like that? Because you could take your kid's phone, but there's seven other phones in that, you know, in that party.
Speaker 2: Something I can see where that would be very difficult.
Speaker 8: Good afternoon, Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 9: I can relate this topic concerning kids not having friends.
Speaker 8: I have a eleven year old daughter that.
Speaker 4: Pre COVID was a social butterfly.
Speaker 5: And then after.
Speaker 4: Almost two years you didn't go to school, came back and just could not.
Speaker 3: Make friends.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting point because we talk about the learning loss of COVID closures, right, what that did to kids in terms of being behind for math, science, writing, re that sort of.
Speaker 2: Thing, but socializing especially.
Speaker 4: I mean there's there's some key times in their team, key times fourteen that we interrupted because well.
Speaker 2: We didn't well and I didn't.
Speaker 10: I was a little bit worried about my son because they closed the schools halfway through his fifth grade year around here. That's the last year of elementary and then his first year of junior high school was spent at home, so it was a little bit rough through seventh and eighth grade. And my son's kind of nerdy, and he has friends, you know, even the nerdy guys. You find your people. You always find your people.
Speaker 4: I agree, find your people and that's important. So when we come back, we're gonna do all of our trending stories. We've got some information, more information about these pagers that were exploding in the Middle East across Lebanon.
Speaker 3: That and some true crime coming up on a Tuesday afternoon, you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.