Speaker 1: We're pretty similar in our views, and we're both pretty oh we're both very good looking. So yes, this is actually Christi Kafer sitting in for Andy Connell. And no doubt you've heard this voice before. I've been I've been on air.
Speaker 2: Different stations, different times, probably for the.
Speaker 1: Last ten years, sometimes with a mic partner, sometimes without.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I'm just I guess a scene but not heard. I guess you could say.
Speaker 1: I'm a columnist for the Denver Post and I'm also on Channel twelves Colorado Inside Out.
Speaker 2: The program that you wish you saw. If you can get.
Speaker 1: Channel twelve here in Denver, definitely check us out or check.
Speaker 2: It out on the web. It is.
Speaker 1: It's a good little program, just a half hour some news insiders talking about the news, and yeah, I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: Also, I've got a substack.
Speaker 1: If you say, well, hey, I'm not a subscriber to the Denver Post but still like to read what you have to say, go on over to substack dot com. Type in CHRISTA Kaefer and it'll pull up my column posts there just a couple of days after it posts in the Denver Post.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: A little about me, and you can follow me on at Krista Kaifer and all.
Speaker 2: Those fabulous topics we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 1: I've posted a little something something up there on that Twitter account. Got some fun stuff ahead, But I want to give a quick shout out.
Speaker 2: They're not paying me to do this. I just want to do this because I love these guys.
Speaker 1: Carl's Canine Crew in Colorado Springs. It's a place where you you can adopt a dog, or you can foster a dog. You know, maybe you're not ready to have a dog. My favorite dog in the world passed away a couple of years ago. I'm not quite ready to own, but I am fostering, and I'm fostering the cutest dog ever, Cata Hula and pitt.
Speaker 2: Her name is Mocha.
Speaker 1: And yes, if you're looking for a dog and you're like, you know, I want a dog that's super cute and can hunt grasshoppers, yeah, I feeling you could trade her to hunt all kinds of things. She definitely wants to hunt. And yeah, check out Mocha over there Carl's Canine Crew. That's Carl with a k Qnaine with the Z and Crew with a K or you can just foster. Give that dog chance at there forever home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, forever get it, get it, get.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, enough with that, we're gonna move on to the show. My text line is five six six nine. Oh, if you want to weigh on, wag in way in, way on, whatever, whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to do. Topics for today include.
Speaker 1: It's Colorado's birthday, talk a little bit about what we like about the state and what we don't like so much. I am a Colorado native. I actually have a bank I got when I was let's see, six years old. It's it was like the was it the bi centennial and it's like a little liberty bell bank. I still have it. But we are the centennial state for a reason. We became a state in eighteen seventy six, so you know, kind of like seventeen seventy six, and yeah, that's why we're the centennial state. Anyway, we have a birthday today. It's not the big birthday. I think the big birthday is next year. And yeah, I remember the governor was going to build that silly bridge to nowhere to see what to.
Speaker 2: Celebrate the birthday.
Speaker 1: But we got to figure out a better way to blow a few million dollars in taxpayer revenue on the state's birthday.
Speaker 2: I say, hey, how about you.
Speaker 1: Just mail us each a check and we'll call it good. Also, when was the last time you saw a really funny movie.
Speaker 2: At the movie theater?
Speaker 1: Not on TV, not streaming, not off your phone, not off your tablet, actually saw it in the theater?
Speaker 2: And if you're thinking, not a lot used to go to.
Speaker 1: Comedies all the time back in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 2: But not so much now.
Speaker 1: There's actually a reason for that. Wall Street Journal ways in don't know why you should also think about seeing the Naked Gun reboots with Liam Neeson.
Speaker 2: I am, I'm down for that.
Speaker 1: Also why we should give Congressman Kate Gabe Evans a break, why NPR should be defunded, and how the left keeps the American majority leaning right. Yeah, hey, thanks for the assist out there, lefties. There's a reason why the nation has moved rightward, and it's because.
Speaker 2: Of some of the silly stuff you do.
Speaker 1: And I say this as as basically a moderate.
Speaker 2: I know some of you're like, oh, she's a moderate.
Speaker 1: I'm turning it off now, But you know, there's a handful of us out there moderate's on the air.
Speaker 2: I'm a moderate, righty, I am a Republican, but.
Speaker 1: I gotta think the left sometimes you guys do something so silly it keeps keeps the nation moving right. And I'm probably more libertarian than than conservative.
Speaker 2: Kind of like Ross, kind of like me Andy.
Speaker 1: I'm super pro life though, so I don't know where that puts me somewhere in there. But anyway, let's start off with the birthday. Five six six nine zero is.
Speaker 2: The text line.
Speaker 1: And before I forget, want to give a little shout out to Zach, who is the producer behind the glass, making it all, making it all happen. Just a moment ago, saw Shannon, one of my favorite producers here at KOA and I said, Hey, Shannon, can you give me a favorite He says, does.
Speaker 2: Does it involve fleeing the state in a stolen car?
Speaker 1: And I was like, well, yeah, you hit it on the you hit it on the head, and that you know, in addition to the question I'm about to throw out about the state, if you want to answer this question, you can. If you were to flee the state in a stolen car, what will them make in the model? I say this because if I was going to flee the state in a stolen car, it would be a Chevy Chevelle Malibu convertible Blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I'm flaying the state in a stolen car, that's what I'm going to be driving.
Speaker 2: Anyway. The question is.
Speaker 1: This, given that it is the state's ber Day, whether you're a native or not, what do you like about the state? What do you don't like about the states? I say, this is a native, right, So I'm looking back over I'm not going to say how many years I've lived here, but looking back over the years, the decades, there's some things that I really like, some things that have happened to the state that I think are really really quite nice.
Speaker 2: Other things not so much.
Speaker 1: And here's one of the not so much things. It's the crime rate still pretty high in this state, especially the city of Denver, Denver, I just saw a report by the common in the Common Sense Institute found that in most categories, crime is up from it last year. The Mayor of Denver's correct, homicide is down.
Speaker 2: That's that's good.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's nice to stay alive, but other crimes are up. And I got to say it's a it's an issue. So my sister, she and my niece go, I think it was just the bookstore. Somebody steals their bikes.
Speaker 2: It's a vagrant camp that's down the street.
Speaker 1: A bunch of vagrants that steal bikes and do drugs and drink and live in tents near the walmart and takes their bikes. So my sister calls. She calls the cops. She also calls a friend. She says, you know, they just took our bikes. Well, the friend finds the one bike, takes it from the vagrant and and you know, but get throws it in the in the truck and drives away. By then the cops show up and she says, see that bike over there, that's my bike. I know the combination of the lock. That's my bike. Those people took it. Can can you help me get it back?
Speaker 2: And the police are like, no, not so much, not unless we know the VEN number.
Speaker 1: If we knew the VIN number, if you had the VEN number, maybe we could get the bike back. Who knows the VIN number of the bike. I don't know the VEN number of my car.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know the VIN number of anything. I certainly don't know it for my bikes. But she's like, yeah, I could describe the bike. I can tell you the bikelock combination. We can walk thirty feet over there, I can get my bike back, and the police refuse to do anything.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this means that my sister and I need to go vigilante or what, but it is. It's an issue I think about. I have an uncle that was run over by a drunk driver. They know who the drunk driver was. It's one of three drunk people in a car random over left him for dead, broke something like thirty bones, he said, I don't know how many surgeries. He's lucky to be alive. They know who the culprits are. Two and a half years later, I guess where those culprits are. They're still out and about, still driving, Yeah, still doing all the things that us free people do. They are not behind bars even though they are guilty of a drunken hit and run. It just yeah, the crime in this city and the fact that some folks are are gonna get you know, are getting away with it is just really really sickening. Getting some stuff coming in on the coming in on the text line.
Speaker 2: Five six six nine to zero. And yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Person says, the problem is that smart, strong people, rather than move away than stay and fight it enables you need to cut the cancer out.
Speaker 2: I can't say that word on the air, but yeah, there.
Speaker 1: Is something to be said about people leaving the state of Colorado instead of fighting it.
Speaker 2: But that said, there's still quite a few people who are fighting it.
Speaker 1: I think about the Centennial Institute, the Independence Institute, the Common Sense Institute. There are a number of organizations that are fighting the good fight, trying to move, trying to move the state back in the direction that it needs to go. Oh this is nice, this person says, so nice to hear your voice, and please wish Mandy well, I can do.
Speaker 2: That for you.
Speaker 1: Can certainly do that for you. Other things coming in on five six six nine to zero. Love traveling the state, this person says, nature is amazing. Not so much the cost of living in Colorado. Yeah, that is an issue as well. In addition to crime, which I just talked a bit about. How about this little nugget that I just read, the number one city. This is based on a report using Zillow, which sell it as like a home buying website home selling website. The cities with the highest number of for sale listings with price reductions, meaning that people want to sell their house, they want to get out of here. They put their house up there, they're optimistic, They're like, yeah, this house will go for a lot, and then a couple of weeks go by, maybe a month goes by, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got to drop the price.
Speaker 1: And what city is number one when it comes to having to reduce the price of your house before you can sell it.
Speaker 2: It would be Denver. Kind of scary.
Speaker 1: The article goes on to say, and I have it up on my Twitter. You follow Twitter, you can see it there. The actual article that yeah, the Denver, Raleigh, Dallas, Nashville, Phoenix, those are all the below lights, if you will, the cities that have the most amount of listings with dropped prices. That all of these cities went to a pandemic boom. People came here, they wanted to work remotely, They thought, yeah, Denver's a great city, moved in, bought a house, and now are thinking about going elsewhere.
Speaker 2: And honestly, I don't think a day goes by that I don't think about going elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Whether it's the traffic. I think that's an issue. The crime rate. The cost of living is astronaut between my mortgage and my healthcare payment, like one of those Colorado Healthcare marketplace plans between the two of those, and that's most of my income right there. And so it's the cost of living, crime and traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes me want to go. And I remember, I remember when.
Speaker 1: We could ski on the weekends, or for that matter, hike on the weekends. Now I work weekends now, so I guess I don't have that option.
Speaker 2: But I won't ski on the weekend.
Speaker 1: You could give me a free lift ticket to Copper Mountain, my favorite, my favorite resort, for a weekend, and I wouldn't go. I wouldn't go because by the time you get up there, you've been in traffic for multiple hours. Now you're going to wait in lift lines over and over and over again. You're gonna get in about five runs before you go home.
Speaker 2: If you decide to buy lunch there as.
Speaker 1: Opposed to packet, you're looking at twenty bucks for a tiny cup of chile.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: I will I'll ski any other day of the week, but Saturday and Sunday is out and some of that matter. You know, camping, hiking, all of that on the weekends is nearly impossible. You're a better bet going up to Wyoming then to stick around here. So yeah, between the crime rate, the traffic, the weekends, it is, it's not as much fun as it was twenty years ago, let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: But you know, there's still some good things. I will say this.
Speaker 1: As compared to the rest the Colorado of my youth. I don't know why my computer is malfunctioning here, sorry, little inside.
Speaker 2: We have better restaurants now, I mean, do you remember do you remember.
Speaker 1: Nineteen seventies, nineteen eighties Denver, Denver Metro you had like the Chinese restaurant, all of those diners maybe I remember, you know, I think it.
Speaker 2: Was Benny Hannah.
Speaker 1: You could go to White Fence Farm, which I think was good in theory.
Speaker 2: I think their food was terrible.
Speaker 1: Old Kasabanita which was fun, but the food was kind of in edible, I mean except for the soapo peas.
Speaker 2: So yeah, not the best food. Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you wanted to go somewhere interesting, you had to go downtown.
Speaker 2: Well, now you don't have to.
Speaker 1: Every little part of the metro area now has a cute little main street.
Speaker 2: I don't go downtown anymore.
Speaker 1: If I want to take friends that are out of town somewhere fun, go to Littleton's.
Speaker 2: Main street, go to Parker's main street.
Speaker 1: By the way, Parker's got a great, really great farmers market on Sundays.
Speaker 2: You should check it out. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: But I mean, there's farmers' markets everywhere. There's cute little town centers everywhere. There's really no need to go downtown unless you want to see a play. But even there, Parker has a culture center, Littleton's got a cute little playhouse, or Vada Center's got some really great acts. So you don't even have to go downtown to go to the to go see a play. You could just go somewhere regionally. And that's better than in nineteen seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: Growing up, growing up.
Speaker 1: I remember Littleton, which has got like the cutest main street ever. It was so seedy, all these empty storefronts. Now it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Golden.
Speaker 1: Golden's got a great, you know, great little main street, a lot of fun stuff.
Speaker 2: So this person says, by the way.
Speaker 1: I will not go downtown unless I have my concealed carry on me.
Speaker 2: It's too dangerous. Hey, I get it, I get it. You just don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, the chances of something happening are pretty low. I guess depending on when you're down there.
Speaker 2: Two am.
Speaker 1: Maybe problematic, but it is. It's sketchy. It's totally sketchy. It's totally sketchy. Let's see, Uh what else? AWE so nice to hear you, christer Richard the elk hunter. Yes, Richard brought me some elk. I made an announcement when I was on the air.
Speaker 2: Sometime last year.
Speaker 1: I was like, if anyone wants to give me, you know, anyone who hunts wants to give me something delicious, I will certainly take it off your hands. We're not in a hunting season yet, but you can even give me, like if you I love I love goose.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know I'm tangenting here.
Speaker 1: I love goose, And you can actually just drop off goose or ducks.
Speaker 2: You don't even have to they don't have to skin them or clean them.
Speaker 1: I'll do all that. It's fine. And somebody took me up on it. Richard did and he gave me some elk meat. Elk meat is like better than beef. It's thelish So thanks a lot. I definitely appreciate it. Other folks talking about the cost of living making it hard to live here, having to work two jobs, Yeah I get that.
Speaker 2: I think I worked like five jobs, this.
Speaker 1: Person said before COVID, I didn't need to work two jobs on top of my retirement pay. This person also loves the outdoor stuff, hunting, fishing, backpacking, and yeah, I get it. It is absolutely gorgeous. On the more important question.
Speaker 2: Than I asked, I asked the question of what do you like what do you don't like about the state? Which is turning? It's what are we turning?
Speaker 1: We're turning ninety nine? I guess today. State was founded in eighteen seventy six. Am, I, I'm not doing the math right on that. I think it's No.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm not doing the math right on that here? Do I actually think it is?
Speaker 1: Anyway, we were admitted by as the thirty eighth state in eighteen seventy six.
Speaker 2: And we're having a birthday.
Speaker 1: I asked what do you love about the state, what do you hate about the state?
Speaker 2: And some good answers on that. I also asked if you were.
Speaker 1: To flee the state in a stolen automobile, but what would it be And.
Speaker 2: This person said, if I had to split the state, it would be in a vintage white El Dorado convertible. Nice. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: I would have a fleet of old cars if I had the money, I would have like a true Mini, you know those little not the new Mini Mini, but the old Minis which were like the size of you know, not much bigger than you know, a human body, teeny tiny cars. I would have an El Camino because she's just so hideous.
Speaker 2: I love them, and.
Speaker 1: It would have to be like a really hideous shade of brown. I have an El Camino. I would have a Chevy Chevelle Malibu convertible. I'd have an old Ford truck. Yeah, there's so many great old cars out there. I used to have a muscle car and I loved hearing that engine per it. H. There's nothing like a car that can do zero to sixty and six seconds. And I will say this for those electric cars. I do not have an electric car, mostly because I don't have what seventy thousand dollars to drop on a new vehicle, especially when that you know, when the battery dies, kind of the car's done.
Speaker 2: I don't need that.
Speaker 1: But I did get to try one of those teslas.
Speaker 2: And it was zero to sixty and three seconds. There's somebody who likes a little speed. It wasn't too bad. Yeah, it wasn't too bad. Hey, we're gonna take a break now when we.
Speaker 1: Get back, let's maybe switch subjects.
Speaker 2: I like this birthday subject. We may return to it later on in the show.
Speaker 1: But I also liked the idea of when was the last time you saw a funny movie? And are you thinking about going to see the reboot of Naked Gun?
Speaker 2: And I mentioned den royno. What was Denver like back in the nineteen seventies and eighties?
Speaker 1: It was it was not all that everybody littered, everybody smoked cigarettes. The only nice, you know, really nice restaurant downtown was the Magic Pan. There weren't nearly as many wonderful trails and great nature things as they are now, got nearly as many nice little main streets, but it also wasn't super expensive and.
Speaker 2: You know, riddled with crime either some good, some bad.
Speaker 1: But back in the eighties, when Naked Gun came out. It was truly one of the most hilarious movies. When you think about the last couple of years, when was the last time you saw a funny movie? I mean, and I'm not talking on one that was just a little bit witty, Like I mean, technically, Deadpool is not it's not a comedy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's a superhero movie. It's also wonderfully funny. Some of my favorite movies or Deadpool movies. But I'm talking to the movie.
Speaker 1: That is billed purely as a comedy, not a film that is like an action film with some funny stuff in it, like Logan Lucky or Nice Guys. Like they're primarily action movies with some The last time you went to an actual comedy didn't stream it went to the theater.
Speaker 2: Think back five, six, six, nine. Oh, we're gonna take a quick break. When we get.
Speaker 1: Back, let's talk about funny movies.
Speaker 2: This is Christy Kafer.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting in for Mandy Connell and you're listening to eight fifty KOA. This is Christy Kafer filling in. You can check me out at Christa Kaefer.
Speaker 2: On Twitter or check out my sub stack.
Speaker 1: I actually reprint my columns, my Denver Post columns. There you can subscribe. I also, you know, I'll give you some stuff for free. So whatever whatever you need to do, appreciate appreciate the support either way. Somebody just texted and said, hey, when are you going to get to your next show? I used to have my own show, and tell you what, it was a lot of fun. But it is a privilege to sub in for Mandy times I saw and for Ross, both of whom are just fantastic human beings. So great to be here as what was the movie you last saw? The last funny, funny movie you saw in theaters? And not funny as an incidentally funny or like an action movie, but kind of humorous.
Speaker 2: I'll bring a Deadpool again.
Speaker 1: I love Deadpool, but it's technically a super movie, superhero movie.
Speaker 2: I love, you know. I love action movies that have.
Speaker 1: Some humor in them, but they're not comedies primarily, they're action movies. In fact, I right now I'm watching the movie Nobody, which is my favorite movie. I think I'm seeing it for the tenth time on Amazon. I'd love that movie. Not only is it funny, it's full of action, it's just it's just it's just a lot of fun. But it wasn't billed as a comedy.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's an action movie that is also kind of ironically funny. Last funny movie you saw in the theater. Also, if you were going to flee the state and a stolen car, what would be what would be that stolen car? I said, I flee the state in a Chevy Chavelle Malibu convertible with.
Speaker 2: The top down. Obviously.
Speaker 1: This person said they're going to escape Colorado in a shell a Shelby four to twenty seven corbaal No, sorry, Cobra, good grief, I gotta get glasses, Cobra. Yes, the Shelbury Cobra is a beautiful, beautiful car, so you, Lilia, that's a very very good choice there. Another person said they're going to flee in a in a loaded Brinks truck Jason very clever. Yes, I guess if you're going to flee the state in a stolen vehicle, running off with a couple of mill in the back of the truck is definitely.
Speaker 2: The way to go. As for funny movies, and you'll see where I'm going here.
Speaker 1: This person says, last movie they saw was the Austin Power movies. Those were absolutely hilarious.
Speaker 2: What is that? It's like twenty years ago?
Speaker 1: Right? Another person said the Monty Python.
Speaker 2: And the Holy Grail.
Speaker 1: I think we're looking at what nineteen seventy nine on that, and speaking of dates, I have to I will correct myself. I don't know why I said the state was one hundred years old. I think I'm having math atrophy, like I used to be able to do math, but not anymore. It's like I hit a certain age and lost the ability. It's slame. But a bunch of people texted and they were like, hey, for it's a we're one hundred and forty nine years old.
Speaker 2: Do the math? Yes, we are one hundred and forty nine years old.
Speaker 1: And well, I was like, I meant talking a little bit about what we liked and didn't like about the state. Moving on, although I am keeping the question as to what you would flee the state in?
Speaker 2: What stolen car would you flee the state in?
Speaker 1: And of course I am in no way advocating auto grand auto theft, although stealing Chevy Chavelle Malibu and fleeing the state is is kind of an attractive option. I also like a bitchin Camaro. It'd be nice, it'd be nice. This person says that black trans am stolen from the movie bannedit.
Speaker 2: Hey, good call. So the reason I bring up.
Speaker 1: The last funny movie is there was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal and I read the Wall Street Journal every morning online talking about how comedies are actually a little bit of a risk. I know it sounds strange, but a little bit of a risk for these producers, Like they're pretty sure if they put out a big, you know, Jurassic Park style movie.
Speaker 2: Someone's gonna go see it.
Speaker 1: But comedy is you don't really know if they're funny until they're out. Like you could put a movie out there that's supposed to be hilarious and everyone's like, eh, I thought it was kind of funny. Like I just recently watched that South Park episode the new instead of reboot for the season, her debut for the season, and I was like, I thought it was a little cringey, actually, But if you produce comedy, you don't know, You don't know if a crowd's going to find it funny.
Speaker 2: You may think it's hilarious and the audience is.
Speaker 1: Like eh, So it's a big risk, especially nowadays when we all have kind of different ideas as to what's funny.
Speaker 2: Some people are easily offended.
Speaker 1: It takes a risk, and so they're putting out fewer and fewer comedies. They're doing, you know, they're putting humor into kids movies, they're putting humor into action movies, that kind of thing. But they're not releasing big comedies into the theater.
Speaker 2: You can catch them online. They go right to streaming.
Speaker 1: But the studios take a big risk when they go for a big comedy. And so we're talking about the newest it's the reboot of the Naked Gun movie. Of course they have to go see it. I absolutely love Liam Neeson and some are saying he's really the only guy that could do Leslie Nelson the original And why was Leslie Nelson's so good at it? Is he could play that character, Frank was it Drummond totally seriously and he could do it with a straight face. Well, it turns out Liam Neeson ken as well, he can play that character with a straight face.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go see it.
Speaker 1: As I thought about it, how many you know, when was the last time I saw a funny movie. I thought Game Night back in twenty eighteen was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: See if I could do the math now? Seven years ago I laughed.
Speaker 1: Uproariously at Bride'smaids, Bride'smaids.
Speaker 2: That that is a very very funny movie.
Speaker 1: But you know, I just there's not a lot of and we're talking, you know, laugh.
Speaker 2: Until you hurt kinds of movies.
Speaker 1: I really like Death of Stalin if you like a little like a little ironic humor, a little U that's really But I didn't see it in the theater, so it's streaming.
Speaker 2: And you don't take much of a.
Speaker 1: Risk when you watch a movie on your iPhone on your TV set.
Speaker 2: Did you get halfway through it?
Speaker 1: You're like meh, or maybe you're doing something else in cleaning the kitchen, whatever, it's not much of a risk. But if you're gonna pay what is it now, fifteen bucks, you know, another fifteen for the popcorn. If you're gonna do that, you want to make sure that it's pretty damn funny.
Speaker 2: What have you seen recently that you thought was funny?
Speaker 1: Let me know five six, six, nine, Oh, this person says, I'm hesitant to see Liam Neeson in comedy because I just I love him. But yeahl I'm sure it's good. I love him. You know what I love about him is that he hit.
Speaker 2: His stride in movies.
Speaker 1: I think in his late fifties early sixties, is probably in his early seventies now. And he's brilliant, funny. You know, he's badass. I think I've seen that movie taken like ten times because I love it so much. And yeah, I absolutely love it, and I love that he's doing this. I love that he can comedy because a lot of folks, a lot of folks can't. This person says, I love the bus scene and nobody they're fleeing the state in a BMW of Z four. Ooh, nice choice for I mean, it's not an old car, but it's a nice choice. This person's leaving in a Mercedes bus.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You know, I think having a folks Way, and I think about the fleet of ANTIQ cars I would own. Volkswagen Bus would be in there. I don't know if i'd want to flee the state because uh yeah, I'm not sure we'd actually make it out of the state. This person said the last really funny movie they saw was The banshees of in Shearion highly recommend we have to check that out. I guess Nobody Too comes out in two weeks. I hope it says good. I hope it's as good as the first one, because the first one is brilliant. Everything about it, like the direction, the acting, the chaos. It just now you kind of see what kind of movies I like. When people are like, oh, Christa, you need to go see this very serious drama about the family confronting cancer, I'm like, well, I already lived that, So we're gonna go with no. But I will go see action films. Love action films. They have a little humor in them.
Speaker 2: Even better. We're gonn take a break now. But before we hit that brake, I gotta say.
Speaker 1: This person's saying they're going to flee in a sixty nine Musting Cobra Jet four twenty nine. Yeah, anything Mustang is beautiful. I used to have a Mustang and but you know, here's the thing is, it has to be a stick shift. I'm a big fan of stick shifts anyway, but if you're gonna have a.
Speaker 2: Fast car, you have to have I guess got to be a stick shift.
Speaker 1: This person says, flee in a ranger side by side with.
Speaker 2: A beer in hand.
Speaker 1: Hey is, if you got to break the law, you gotta go big, Christakabeer. I'm sitting in for Mandy Connell. We are listening to eight fifty Kowa.
Speaker 2: I'll be back in a jiff.
Speaker 1: For I am sitting in for Mandy Connell and she's doing great. I just just got a little update. So anyway, it's great. It's great to be here, great to great to have you listening, thanks so much, and great to have Zach behind the glass helping out. I definitely appreciate it. This person says, I've been going to flee the state and the car is stolen. I would want it to be under the radar. So how about a two thousand super U who'd be looking for that?
Speaker 2: Hey man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right leaving the state in a flashy convertible muscle car.
Speaker 2: You know, just a style?
Speaker 1: Right, Really isn't the wisest choice if you're going to flee in a stolen car, really should be like, you know, an old think is, can you get an old Subaru without like, you know, free Tibet sticker on it or coexists sticker?
Speaker 2: On it.
Speaker 1: I think, doesn't that come with the Subaru. It just seems to me that they all have that talking a little bit about you know, was the last time we saw a funny movie?
Speaker 2: And it's kind of a lighthearted subject.
Speaker 1: We'll get into something a little heavier in the next hour, but yeah, it's it takes a lot of risk for studio to produce.
Speaker 2: A big comedy.
Speaker 1: And that's why when you think back, you're getting people texting me right now at five six six and I know saying yeah, back in the seventies, I saw.
Speaker 2: This, it was hilarious. The eighties, I saw this, it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: But not a lot of folks saying, you know, last week I saw something, or even last year. And that's because the studios have been very reluctant to produce big comedies and put them into the movie theater.
Speaker 2: Most of the time they go straight to streaming.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think Happy Gilmour too went straight to streaming. And Adam Sandler is one of the most funny human beings live, but if his stuff is going right to streaming, you know, you know, there's a little bit of a risk for.
Speaker 2: Studios to put out big comedies.
Speaker 1: Especially in an age when people get should alway say a little offended, a little easily.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know why I don't get offended more easily. It looks like fun. You know.
Speaker 1: People who get offended, they always have something to be upset about. They always feel righteous, they always feel this, you know, righteous anger.
Speaker 2: Like I'm offended, super offended.
Speaker 1: I just feel like I'm missing out because I don't get offended very easily, so I'll try harder. I guess this person mentions Blazing Saddles. Yeah, Blazing Saddles is truly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. In fact, every now and again, I just want to say, excuse me while I whip this out. Okay, if you're young and you're tuning in, you're like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't get it.
Speaker 1: You got to watch Blazing Saddles unless you're one of the easily offended, and then it's probably not a film for you because it's satire. It's actually making fun of racism. But if you go into it like looking for racism and you don't realize that it's satire, it may not be the movie for you.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing.
Speaker 1: About satire is satire is really only for people who get satire. You know, I mentioned Death of Stalin one being one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. You gotta get satire. You gotta love satire to love that movie. Otherwise it's not the film for you. And I love all comedy satire. I love stupid, stupid movies. I think I'm gonna really like Naked Gun because I like if it's stupid, I like it.
Speaker 2: Watch plenty of that on my.
Speaker 1: Smartphone, plenty of stupid little videos with people doing stupid things.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I like all kinds of humor.
Speaker 1: But you know, I get why it is it is difficult for studios to contemplate a serious, high budget comedy. When we get back, we're going to take a break. Let's swim on over into the deep.
Speaker 2: Side of the pool and talk about a couple of things for the next hour.
Speaker 1: Why the left keeps the American majority leaning right, why we should give Congressman gave Evans a little break, and why NPR should be defunded. And I say, this is somebody who's like an NPR junkie. I love NPR, but there's no reason they or for that matter. Call around a public radio or any of these public websites. At websites, radio stations or television shows should really get a dime of taxpayer funding, and they're primarily funded through private donations.
Speaker 2: But let's go all private. I think that's a little bit better.
Speaker 1: I say, this is somebody who's working for a competitor that comes.
Speaker 2: Up with all of its own money, and that would be eight p fifty k away. This is Chris A. Gaper.
Speaker 1: I'm sebbing in for Mandy Connell and you're listening to the best station ever.
Speaker 2: I turned one hundred years old.
Speaker 1: I believe fantastic getting the nod from Zach. Let's take a break. I'll be back in a jiff, and you're like, who the heck is that? Normally I am seen but not heard. That's because I'm a Denver Post columnist, although I do occasionally do radio or television. You can check me out on Channel twelve here in Denver. I'm on Colorado inside Out usually once a month, and I've got a sub stack. I've also got you. Get to check me out on Twitter at CHRISTA Kaefer. I posted the cutest thing. It was a whole bunch of bunnies, wild bunnies that jumped up on a trampoline and they're like jumping away. It's just really cute. So I, you know, I do some cute stuff on there. I do some serious stuff. I do some some fun stuff. You know, let's do social media. Check me out five six six nine zero. Also check out Carl's Canine Crew. It's the organization that I foster my dog through, and I just think they're super And if you lived.
Speaker 2: Within an hour of Colorado Springs, you can foster a dog. You certainly check them out their.
Speaker 1: Adoption at the dogs they have available for adoption, including the wonderful little picnics that I'm fostering right now.
Speaker 2: Who would love to find a loving family.
Speaker 1: So I did promise that I would wait on over to the deeper end of the pool.
Speaker 2: As I've been, I've.
Speaker 1: Been kind of keeping it on a little light, lighter weight topics. I did ask the super important question, you could flee the state and a stolen automobile with that automobile, And you know, that question is just going to stay open for the rest of the show, regardless of what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Because I've gotten some great, great answers.
Speaker 1: At the Larean a nineteen ninety eight astro van.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see VW Bus.
Speaker 1: And oh, here's one I like in nineteen seventy Pontiac trans Am white was blue interior with you in the passenger seat.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do like that. I got admit. I like muscle cars, always have, always will. And also a.
Speaker 1: Sixty four T Bird, a long, sleek, classy look and automobile. This person's favorite car of all time. And it was the first model car kit I built when I was a kid. Oh that's that's a great story, Steve, thanks for mentioning it. I mentioned I am going to wade over to some serious topics. And you know, Trump and Trump administration got a lot of heat. Congress got a lot of heat, mainly from the left, on the decision to rescind funding that had been set aside for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds NPR National Public Radio.
Speaker 2: It's local affiliates.
Speaker 1: Here in the you know here it's called out a public radio, a lot of real stations as well, plus PBS, and you know, as somebody who really loves Colorado public radio listens, I've donated, I've been on the program a number of times, so different programs on Call Out a public radio. Back when I lived in DC, I was on NPR a couple of times, which really, I'm gonna do my NPR voice. It's funny because when you get interviewed by these folks, you immediately go into the voice. It's it's uncanny. You're just sitting there in the interview room, You're you're normally, you know, like me, it's you know.
Speaker 2: Talking away.
Speaker 1: The mic goes on and they say and welcome back to NPR, and then all of a sudden you're talking in that same cadence.
Speaker 2: It's very eerie.
Speaker 1: But yes, I I could do the NPR voice.
Speaker 2: Like ookos to do BBC voice if I want to, But you know.
Speaker 1: We're gonna stick to the talk show host and talk show host voice. Here's why I think it should be no longer publicly funded. And you know, truth be told, it's not all public funding. In fact, it's only a small amount. It's a bit more in the rural areas. But they spend a lot of time and a lot of work raising money from private contributors, from foundations.
Speaker 2: From companies.
Speaker 1: They raise a lot of their own money but they don't raise all of their money the way we do here at a fifty KOA. They get a little bit of a handout, and that handout comes from taxpayers.
Speaker 2: The point of my column.
Speaker 1: Was this is it's not fair to stations that have to fund their fund everything like KOA to know that a competing station is getting a handout.
Speaker 2: That's not fair, and it's also not fair to.
Speaker 1: Taxpayers, of which roughly half are conservative and NPR, CPR the other affiliates i've ever heard they're left leaning. Now, they don't always know they're left leaning. They're not trying to be left leaning. I think it's their worldview. Don't think there's a whole lot of conservatives around to say, you know, you could have put this a little different, could have been a little more neutral.
Speaker 2: There's no one around to call them on it.
Speaker 1: And you know, if you're in a place where everyone's right wing, there's going to be no one there to call anyone out on being right wing and maybe not seeing the left's perspective. I think the reason that NPR and its local affiliates are left leaning is because everyone that works there is left leaning. Their audience is more left leaning than not, and so there's no one out there to say, hey, you know, you could have done things a little differently, and you know, just because I think it's important to have examples, I provided some examples in my column stories I had heard on as NPR, and I listened to NPR every week because I'm one of those people that, like I said, I don't get offended very easily, and I'm a big believer in what my old Mike partner used to say, which is, you eat the meat, you throw away the bones.
Speaker 2: I can listen to just about anything.
Speaker 1: Keep what I think is valuable, toss out what I think is unvaluable. I see the left leaning, but I still like the programming, still like the people who do it, still learn a lot, But you know, toss out the stuff I don't agree with, and that's fine, I hope if you're tuning in now, you're bigeing the same thing like I like kfer On some stuff, other stuff not so much.
Speaker 2: Just toss those bones out the window.
Speaker 1: But it's everything from the examples they provide to the language that they use that is left leaning and therefore not fair to taxpayers on the right that are having to fund it. I don't want taxpayers on the left to fund any of the conservative stations or a station that's kind of in the middle like this one. I think that when you have to raise your own money, you're not going to coerce money out of people that.
Speaker 2: Don't agree with you. It's just not fair.
Speaker 1: And one of the examples I provided there was a story about these Trump accounts. Therefore, I guess you had a child within the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: You can get this account. There's some money in it, you can add to it, and I oppose it.
Speaker 1: I think it's we're already what thirty seven trillion dollars in debt. We don't need new programs, we don't need to be spending anything beyond weriorty spending, and then that's too much. I don't support the Trump accounts. I did not support the so called Big Beautiful Bill, which I think is the stupidest name for a bill.
Speaker 2: I didn't support it.
Speaker 1: That said, when they did the story about these accounts, they had a whole bunch of people way in and give their comments, and I listened to every single commenter. These were just ordinary people commenting on the Trump accounts. Every single one of them opposed the accounts. Well, that's just not good journalism. You don't just pick one side and feature it. I learned that in high school journalism class. Ideally they should have had half of those examples, or even a third. I mean, just so some examples of people saying, yeah, I love these accounts.
Speaker 2: I think they're a great idea. Fare's fair.
Speaker 1: You can't just feature your own side. And then there's the fact that they always, uh, you know, they I don't know, they seem to mischaracterize what Republicans think mischaracterized. You know, I think about Terry Gross always just sort of laughing about you know, oh those Republicans or oh those evangelicals, like you don't make fun of people like a large group of people. I think that's called prejudice, and maybe you had to avoid it. But yeah, I've heard pro lifers mischaracterized. And you know, I'm sure people will say, well, hey, right wing radio consistently mischaracterizes the left. Fox News mischaracterizes the left. Sure, yeah, that's is true, that is true. But I'm not forcing taxpayers on the left side of the political spec from to subsidize the show that I'm on. Right now, If you don't like Fox News, you don't like conservative radio. You don't have to listen, and you don't have to pay a dime towards it. That's my feelings on NPR. Maybe you've got a feeling on it as well.
Speaker 3: My uh.
Speaker 2: Tax foone here is five six six nine.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's see this person says a nineteen ninety six Chevy Hm. Yeah, okay, I like it. I like it, good afternoon. I feel the same way about NPR. This person text in.
Speaker 2: And let's see.
Speaker 1: Uh person amos is not apparently a fan of the of Mandy, probably not a fan of me as well. That says, I happen to turn it here because I usually watch and listen to Tom Martino. But find your voice calming. So I'm just hanging out and listening to you.
Speaker 2: Well, good job. Well thanks, maybe I should have thanks for saying that. Maybe I ought to.
Speaker 1: Have a jazz show and welcome back to smooth Jazz.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Chris de Kaefer and.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be listening to a little riff by trombone player.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I could do that. I could do that.
Speaker 1: Maybe some jazz station out there is looking for a voice with a calming, sweet voice.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Another person said I should said more often. Yeah, this is a I love the love that's coming in. Yeah. I guess to me what it comes down to it is, I just don't want people to have to subsidize stuff that they disagree with.
Speaker 2: And I know there is there's always going to be some of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, right now, my dollars are going to all kinds of things I don't agree with, especially here in Colorado. But when it comes to news, there really shouldn't be a government news station. It should all be independent news and commentary. If you like it, listen you don't like it, don't listen you don't like it, don't fund it you like it, fund it, fund the uh, you know, patronize the different businesses that contribute to eight fifty k away, or to call it out of public radio. Patronize those businesses you can donate. I've donated to call her out of public radio, even though I'm you know, I'm a person decidedly of the right, but I learn a lot enjoy the programming.
Speaker 2: I've got a good classical station as well.
Speaker 1: So I definitely think though that it's time to pull the plug and make these stations genuinely independent. And here's the deal. I think about some of the PBS channels, I have no doubt they can also survive without public funding. It's going to be a little tougher for like a Channel twelve, but they do great work.
Speaker 2: I think they can raise the money.
Speaker 1: And Channel six, that's the one that has you know, Sesame Street, which is you know, merchandise alone, probably could fund the whole thing. How many you know you could buy all kinds of Sesame Street merchandise and that all goes to that can all go to the television station that produces it. So I'm not afraid these things are going to go away overnight. I am glad, however, that we're moving to a more fair system.
Speaker 2: All this is sweet.
Speaker 1: You could you could absolutely do jazz. Glad to hear that you're filling in for Mandy, rooting for you.
Speaker 2: Today, and happy belated birthday, thanks Angela. I am that's a friend of mine. Yes, friends are allowed to text in here at five six six.
Speaker 1: And I know we're talking a little bit about defunding public radio and why that was such a controversy, but also the question is still out there if you were to flee the state and steal in car.
Speaker 2: What would it be? I absolutely love this answer.
Speaker 1: I'd leave the state in and ask to Martin Vintage twelve at one hundred and ninety five miles per hour.
Speaker 2: That's fast, you know. I took my old Mustang up to one hundred once.
Speaker 1: I know, like cou could have got it, could have gone faster, but I would have felt so bad if I had hurt somebody, So I tended to maximize the speed at lower speeds, like I would head out from the stop light and.
Speaker 2: Hit sixty and six seconds.
Speaker 1: But I didn't have a tendency to take it over like ninety five, justly because I thought, h what if I what if I hurt somebody by having a little too much fun behind behind the wheel.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: This person says, can you do the NPR voice for the Christmas treat?
Speaker 2: Everybody knows that comedy Shwitty Falls? Is it Alec Baldwin?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I definitely. I don't think I could do that comedy piece, but I absolutely love.
Speaker 2: That little skit.
Speaker 1: It's a Saturday Night Live skit about public radio that is quite fun. This person says, you have to pay a dime if you have cable or satellite TV. I stream. I guess I do pay for Amazon for those television shows. But if you're going to watch it, you like it, that's awesome, you should be paying for it. If you don't want to pay for it, you shouldn't have to pay for it. And I think that's true for public radio, public television. This person says, I know it's not public money, but do you think customers should have to subsidize Fox in their cable and satellite bills?
Speaker 2: You know, it's a package deal.
Speaker 1: If you get Fox, you're also getting CNN, You're also getting MSNBC.
Speaker 2: You're getting all of those channels, and you're already agreeing to that.
Speaker 1: When you sign up for cable. There's a reason I don't have cable have I just stream? I stream Saddle, I stream Amazon. And when a new version of Stranger Things, when the news the new season for that pops up on Netflix, I will subscribe to Netflix for a while till I burn through the stuff I want to watch, then I'll stop. And I actually think that is kind of the direction that we're headed. We are you know, people are very individualized in their entertainment. They have those options through podcasts, through radio stations, through things that they subscribe to on television, and kind of getting away from.
Speaker 2: Kind of big.
Speaker 1: Public packages where everybody gets the same thing.
Speaker 2: And it's strange for those.
Speaker 1: Of us who have been around for a while because I remember, and I know a number of you do.
Speaker 2: Do you do as well? Do you remember? You know in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: We'll finish out this segment and move to something a little different for the next one. But you turned on TV, you had, you know, the three stations four, seven, and nine, you had twelve and six and channel two.
Speaker 2: What is that? It's math again?
Speaker 1: Two four seven, nine, six and twelve seven stations And we didn't have a remote control, so like you would get up and change the channel yourself, and that was it. And when the president was on, I mean most of those stations were running the president and whatever you were going to watch, like Dukes of Hazzard you didn't.
Speaker 2: Get to watch because the President was on.
Speaker 1: It was really interesting, but it was a public that, even though there were differences and opinion, it was a public that was sort of served.
Speaker 2: By the same institutions.
Speaker 1: Everyone watched kind of the same movies, listen to the same radio programs, watched the same channels, and yeah, there was a lot of content that really wasn't that good. I'm looking up at a screen right now and it's a daytime drama, which I didn't even know there were any of those left, But yeah, soap opera's.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like there was a lot of great stuff on, but.
Speaker 1: It had a kind of cultural homogenizing effect on the population. Now that we're moving into very individualized entertainment, I think we're going to see a kind of continuous fracturing. I don't think that that's all bad or all good. Got a lot of great variety out there, a lot of great stuff. We don't all have to watch the same thing. You can just watch what you want to watch. But we also miss some of that homogenizing that made American culture, and I kind of miss that.
Speaker 2: I gotta admit. This is Christaker.
Speaker 1: I'm setting in for Mandy Connell, and you are listening to eight fifty kowa.
Speaker 2: Your comments when we get back, and.
Speaker 1: We're talking a little bit about a column I wrote a couple weeks ago about why NPR NCPR, another public station, should.
Speaker 2: Not get any more tax payer money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say, this is somebody who really enjoys their programming.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's just not fair.
Speaker 1: It's not fair that folks on the right should have to fund something that is decidedly left. Got an interesting text at five six six, and I know this person said they got a good laugh out of me saying that Kowa was middle of the road. Well, I would say it's middle of the road in the sense that our newscasts are pretty neutral. Our talk show hosts are to the right for sure. You know, Ross, Mandy Me were definitely to the right. But if you tune in to Marty len in the morning, he's pretty neutral. And the you know, the folks that come in and give the updates on the hour, they're they're pretty neutral. It's those of us that are commentators that are to the right. And that's the thing about being a commentator. I'm a columnist. I do opinion, that's all I do. I don't occasionally, I mean, I may end up going back to writing wine reviews for Westward those were not political. I guess that's the closest I've come in a long time to actually writing a news story.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not a journalist. I'm a commentator. I write commentary, and so I can be as far left, far right, farceentriest. People start calling myself a farceentriest. I am kind of a center right gal, but I get to be very obvious and very open with my opinion, which is kind of fun. I just wish the folks over at Colorado Public Radio and NPR, all of.
Speaker 2: Whom are you know.
Speaker 1: They're very solid journalists on one side. They do, they work hard, they do really good programming.
Speaker 2: But they need to stop. They need to stop being so lefty.
Speaker 1: It's pretty alienating to a lot of folks on the right, and it's not fair to taxpayers. I don't want taxpayers on the left to pay for stuff on the right either. I think these things can be privatized, raise all of their own money.
Speaker 2: They already raise a lot of their own money as is. They can raise the rest of it.
Speaker 1: For sure, And it looks like, based on the fact that the money's been rescinded, that's exactly what they're going to have to do. One of the things that I asked at the top of the hour, actually the beginning of the show, little aside from politics, is if you could flee the state in a stolen car, what would it be? And this person said, a nineteen twenty seven Ammial car amilcar G sorry CGSS convertible with me in the passenger seat. And I guess this is the game Cock doc is who this person goes by, And I'm gonna have to look up that kind of car. I love. I just love old cars. I think they are a lot of fun and it is I'm not a big fan of breaking the law, but if I was going to flee the state and is still in car, it would definitely have to be a Chevy Chavelle Malibu convertible blue with white interior, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just sounds like a fun thing to think about.
Speaker 1: Let's see, this person says Corrado of Morning News is very liberal, especially Marty can't tell with Gina.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't. I do know Marty a bit.
Speaker 1: I think he's a great he just does a great job on the air, and he's just a really neat guy too.
Speaker 2: But I've heard that allegation before.
Speaker 1: I do feel like it's it's still very much worth listening to, regardless of if you think whether these folks lean one way or the other. But I definitely learn a lot. When I tune in in the morning, I see this person says, I read your stuff all the time. I enjoyed even when I disagree with you, not too often. And you do have a great voice. That is a very nice thing to say.
Speaker 2: And it is fun. It's fun to be on the air.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. So I write for the Denver Post, which is a left leaning paper, and so most of the people that read me are to the left of me, not all. And the number one thing that people say when they recognize me in public is, hey, love your column. Don't always agree with you, or don't often agree with you, or almost never agree with you, but I love your column, and it's always it's always quite quite gratifying. This person said the government only funded NPR two to three percent. If donors want to give their money to support radio stations, what's wrong with that? I yeah, I think for the other ninety percent, it's great, and it is true.
Speaker 2: NPR is not it's only.
Speaker 1: It's just a relatively small percentage of their budget. I think all of their budget should be privately raised from businesses, foundations, and from and I've been one of those doners.
Speaker 2: On occasion. I think the quality, I love the quality.
Speaker 1: I learn a lot, but I also recognize that it is left leaning, and it's everything from the language that they use. I mean, if you're going to say undocumented immigrant, well, I mean, I don't have my passport on me right now, and I guess I'm undocumented. I mean, why not say person living in the country illegally. That's a neutral way to put it. You say undocumented, it sounds like a euphemism, like the only thing that.
Speaker 2: They just forgot their paperwork. They didn't. They didn't forget their paperwork.
Speaker 1: They came over the border and are staying here without authorization. Doesn't mean that they can't be awesome people, great workers. I've known people working in this country illegally that was super people. I've known Americans who have gone abroad and worked illegally, super people, but what they did was illegal. So I think, why not just say person living in the USA illegally or working in the US illegally. It's neutral or by the worst euphemism I've heard yet, I'll.
Speaker 2: Just give two examples.
Speaker 1: Uh, sex assigned at birth, like it's some arbitrary thing. I saw my niece get born which is an awesome experience. And it's not like when she you know, came out, doctors picked her up and they were like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should go with girl boy. Flip a coin.
Speaker 1: Let's assign. Let's assign, assign this baby as sex. You know, what do you what do you think? No, it was pretty darn obvious she was a girl, and she got she was listed as a girl, not because some doctor arbitrarily picked one or the other, but because biologically she is female. And that is that is the case for the vast majority of births. It's not some arbitrary decision by parents and the doctor to be like, I don't know, you want a boy, you want a girl?
Speaker 2: What do you want to do? Let's assign something.
Speaker 1: No, the person and the doctor, the parents looked at the baby, and in the vast majority of cases, it's pretty obvious boy or girl, right there are a hand you know, occasionally somebody is born intersex, which means that they have X Y chromosomes but may have been due to developmental issues born without male organs. Usually those babies are girls and will grow up to be women. It is, you know, it's just it's a genetic anomaly. At some point during development, baby gets hormones, baby developed parts. Some babies are resistant to their own hormones and they don't develop the parts. Those are the people for which there is some ambiguity, and you know, it's difficult.
Speaker 2: It's a difficult situation.
Speaker 1: But the vast majority of people are born male or female.
Speaker 2: They're not a sign find a sex at birth. That's absurd.
Speaker 1: The other euphemism I don't care for that I hear on public radio is reproductive rights. Everyone has quote unquote reproductive rights. You want to make a baby and you're a fertile age, you can make a baby.
Speaker 2: You don't want to make a baby, you can use birth control.
Speaker 1: I don't have reproductive freedom now because I'm in metopause. I'm not free to have a kid. I guess I could do. You know, some kind of hear much older women having babies because they do artificial insemination, and I guess it is technically possible, but I guess I lost my reproductive freedom when I turned forty five.
Speaker 2: But it's an absurd thing.
Speaker 1: What they're referring to is the so called right to take the life of an unborn child.
Speaker 2: That's not reproductive rights.
Speaker 1: That that's abortion, and you know you could be for it, you can be against it.
Speaker 2: But let's just leave the e amism's aside.
Speaker 1: And I guess if I were to advise public radio, Hey, you want to do a bit of job not alienating your funders your listeners. Pick some neutral language. Stop picking terms that only the left will love. Okay, all right, a couple other awesome cars to feel to flee the state with. If you're thinking about fleeing the state in a stolen car, I would. I'm not recommending it, and I'm not recommending you steal a car. I'm just saying I was going to leave the leave the state in a a in a still in vehicle. This person says they would flee the state on their own two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Harley Davidson, Electra.
Speaker 1: Glide, M I like it, And uh yeah, we'll hit a couple of more of those when we get back from this break. Also, let's we might just milk this topick a little bit longer. But I'm also thinking, hey, why not talk about why we should give Congressman Gabe Evans a break.
Speaker 2: I'd like to give him a break. I'll see what you think this is Christa k Fir.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting in for Ko, sitting in for Mandy Connell. You're listening to a fifty koa folks would flee with if they had a chance to steal.
Speaker 2: A car and flee the state.
Speaker 1: Not that I'm recommending it, but this person said, a nineteen fifty seven Chevy.
Speaker 2: Two door hardtop red with cream top. I like it.
Speaker 1: This person says, a Lamborghini or any car that goes five miles faster, five miles power faster than the state patrol practical, I like it. So a couple of folks that brought up an interesting story that just popped up on the Denver Post, and.
Speaker 2: Over the break, I was reading.
Speaker 1: Up about it just so I could give comment no doubt, like you, you may have been in the dark. Luckily, a person listener texted me a link was able to check it out, and then another person wrote in saying, what do you think of the Denver Post docsing do better, Denver, so do better, Denver's interests, do better?
Speaker 2: Denvers on Twitter do better? And then d NVR and what they do is.
Speaker 1: They post pictures of people just being nasty around Denver homeless camps, people doing drugs, fighting, you know, drugged out.
Speaker 2: They post these.
Speaker 1: Things also, I guess things that are critical of the mayor. Denver post Shelby Bradberry got a put together story kind of talking about who these folks are. I guess one of them is, let's see a mother in Arizona, former Colorado Coalition for the Homeless, employee who lives in New Mexico, and a local public school teacher among the people involved with Do Better Denver, a controversial social media account that stokes outrage online by featuring images of homeless people, public drug use, and crime in Denver. And it goes on to talk about why this isn't journalism, why it's just stoking outrage, why it's selective and doesn't have the accountability of a newspaper. And I would say to that, well, yeah, it's a social media it's not billing itself as a newspaper. It is being influential in showing that there's some pretty lame things happening around Denver.
Speaker 2: And I think all of us have.
Speaker 1: Seen it, right, I remember I got to see I guess this person was having a pants free moment, A dude on drugs who just happened to emerge from his tent without any pants on, and yeah, I got to see that. I'm just I guess glad he didn't turn around, because I would have seen even more stuff I didn't want to see, and I don't appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I went to Starbucks the other day and went in.
Speaker 1: To get a to get a a frappuccino, and the door was locked, and somebody came and let me in. Well, it turns out it was because a vagrant. And I'm not going to use the NPR term unhoused. This guy's problems did not have to do with the fact that he couldn't afford mortgage. He was on drugs, he was attacking customers. He did not attack me. When I saw him sitting there. He was having a full on conversation with about five people who didn't exist. And when the Starbucks manager called the police and said there's a vagrant who was attacking customers, all the police could say because they're busy, and I get that, but they said, well, just lock the doors and try to keep your customers safe. We'll get there when we get there, and they didn't get there while I was there. Meanwhile, there is this person who is obviously on drugs, obviously dangerous. So I don't have a problem with people revealing this stuff. You know, this is a website revealing lawlessness, nobody's nobody has comments of different experts at journalism schools of why this isn't real journalism, it's not meant to be.
Speaker 2: It's an influential social.
Speaker 1: Media site revealing the dark side of Denver. I don't have a problem with it, Nor do I have a problem with the fact that the Denver Post investigated a popular social media site and went on to talk about some of the folks that administer it. Apparently they've all denied being the administrators of the anonymps account.
Speaker 2: So maybe they are, maybe they aren't. But you know, I guess I don't have a.
Speaker 1: Problem with what they do, and I don't have a problem with the Denver Post reporting about what they do. I will say that it is a problem that we have people using drugs publicly, people being naked publicly, people doing things like I sometimes have you had to see people either carnally involved, my poor sweet niece had to see that, or people in various states of undress. I've seen people peeing, I've seen people doing other things, and I shouldn't have to see that. Honestly, I think these folks, a lot of them, need to be in an institution.
Speaker 2: Where they can get better.
Speaker 1: And I definitely agree with the Trump administration's executive order encouraging that there are people who are mentally ill, people who are savagely addicted to substances, who are doing things in public that the rest of us.
Speaker 2: That what I have to deal with.
Speaker 1: And so no, I don't have a problem with a social media site that is.
Speaker 2: Revealing the dark side of Denver. When we get back, let's talk a little bit about the.
Speaker 1: Kind of hot water that Gabe Evans got in why think, you know, maybe it's not as hot as it was characterized, and also how the left keeps the American majority leaning right. Thanks guys, you're doing a great job. This is Christy Kaye for sitting in for Mandy Connell. You're listening to eight fifty k away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just if you're just tuning in, You're like, who the heck is that.
Speaker 1: I'm normally a Denver Post columnist, although I do sub here on the area there for Ross or Mandy, and then.
Speaker 2: I'm on Channel twelve Colorado Inside Out.
Speaker 1: It's a nice little like half hour program that comes on on Channel twelve Friday nights, So I guess, I guess that'd be today at eight o'clock and I'm not on this week.
Speaker 2: But it's just it's a nice program.
Speaker 1: It's different people in the media talking about current events. And yeah, Kyle Dyer, she's fantastic formerly with Channel nine, is the host and just a great gal. So you know, ten in check it out. You can also check it out online. Just watch it on your cell phone if you want to, which is usually the way. I don't even know if I could get Channel twelve on my television.
Speaker 2: I watched it on my cell phone, So there you go. I said, I was going to move to a different topic.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give a little tease, a little snippet of my column that you can check on Sunday, and then turn back to the issue we were talking about, just because over the break a lot of interesting texts came in and I thought, I can't leave this.
Speaker 2: I can't leave this particular topic.
Speaker 1: Talking about the do Better Denver doxing, which is kind of interesting. And then we'll talk about one of the dumbest things I think the far left has done recently and why their antics tend to make people want to move to the right.
Speaker 2: So we'll hit that, but fuzzle first a little little.
Speaker 1: Teas for my column on this Sunday, and that is the congressman gave. Evans caught a lot of heat earlier this week when it turns out that the story he'd been telling about his grandfather was not altogether true. Colorado news Line, a lefty website, found out that he had missed some things about his grandfather's story. So when he would talk about his grandfather coming to this country and doing it the right way, doing it legally, yes, he was legalized, but before he became a citizen, he actually crossed the border as a young child illegally, and you know.
Speaker 2: Just got the left with like, yeah, he's lying, he's lying. How do you know he just wasn't mistaken.
Speaker 1: And that is the whole point of my column, which is, sometimes we believe things about our families that simply aren't true.
Speaker 2: I was under the.
Speaker 1: Impression that my family, for example, had never owned slaves.
Speaker 2: My side of the family came here pretty recently.
Speaker 1: My mom's side of the family most of them emigrated to Pennsylvania, which is an early state to make slavery illegal.
Speaker 2: I had a.
Speaker 1: Particular relative, a great great great something grandpa that was captured, was fighting for the North, captured by the South, spent time in Andersonville, one of the worst prison camps of the South. And so it's just kind of under the impression that, yeah, we never owned slaves. Well, as it turned out, my cousin did a little research, and yeah, go back far enough, we have a both a slave owner and a slave in the family.
Speaker 2: Because the slave owner had a.
Speaker 1: Child with one of the slaves, and that would be my great great great great great grandpa.
Speaker 2: And so there you go. Something I didn't know, I now know.
Speaker 1: So you'll never hear me say the words my family never owned slaves. In fact, if you go back, probably all of our families did, because every society, every pre Christian society, had slavery in it. People were captured in war, they were kept as slaves. It is an abhorrent practice, something done through the ages. Very happy to say that it's not being done legally anywhere in the world today. And what made it particularly egregious here in this country is that we talked a lot about freedom, put a lot of it into our Declaration of Independence, into our constitution, and yet enslaved a large group of citizens. And well, they weren't given citizenship, they weren't considered citizens. But the treatment of other human beings of black Americans, both during the time of slavery and during the time of segregation is abhorrent, especially for a country that holds up as one of its founding values. Now that said, I'm circling back to Congressman Gabe Evans. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know and he hasn't actually said it since, so I think once he found out, he stopped saying it. And every single one of us he's probably thought one thing or another about our extended family, got it wrong, found up different, decided to you know, learn, you live and learn right, you live and learn. So that's that's what my Denver Post column is about this Sunday, and I recommend it, but of course why would I not recommend it.
Speaker 2: It's my column. I do want to return to the.
Speaker 1: Denver Post, though, and this do better Denver social media site. I don't know if it's a Twitter site, or if it is uh Instagram, maybe it's both. I'm not cool enough for Instagram safe to say.
Speaker 2: Somebody just texted in, said.
Speaker 1: The big uproar over the Shelley Bradberry Denver post piece is the quote unquote doxing of the three contributors to Do Better Denver, as originally warned by Do Better Denver. It looks like brad Bury did speak to the three, However, it is not clear whether those three gave permission to release their names if it is possible via the law to withhold names, since they filled CORER requests.
Speaker 2: Regardless of what's.
Speaker 1: Legal, was it the right thing to do to dox these three people? And one of the listeners did send over the article a link to the article the articles who is Do Better Denver?
Speaker 2: Meet?
Speaker 1: Three women feeding information to Denver's loudest social media critic.
Speaker 2: Two of the.
Speaker 1: People connected to Do Better Denver live outside Colorado. All three deny being administrators of the anonymous account. Goes on to describe the account as showing the dark side of Denver, people behaving badly, either in a drunken or drugs stupor vagrance camps with people passed out, trash here's something on fire.
Speaker 2: People just it is.
Speaker 1: It's the dark and sad side of Denver. The article goes on to say that it has something like one hundred and forty four thousand followers across Instagram and Twitter, and that it's, you know, violates the norms of what would be considered a good journalism. Well, I don't think it's actually trying. And here's where I would disagree with the writer of the article is that it's not trying to be journalistic. It's a social media influencer. It's showing the dark side of Denver. It's showing that we have to as hard working Denver rights or people who live in the Denver metro these are the kinds of things we have to contect with thanks to some of the policies that enable this behavior. As for do I think it's okay to reveal the names of the women behind Do Better Denver? I will save that answer. We've got a quick break. When we get back, I will I'll mention what I think and also hit your text at five six six. And I know this is Christa Kafer. I'm sitting in for Mandy Connell.
Speaker 3: You're listening to eight fifty koa bru.
Speaker 1: I don't know about the do Better Denver piece in the Denver Post.
Speaker 2: Talking a little bit about.
Speaker 1: Journalism in general, I mentioned a story written by Colorado Newsline about Gabe Evans and the fact that he was wrong about some points or left out some points about his grandfather story. His grandfather emigrated here from Mexico, came as a young child, was later legalized. And this person says, hey, you know James Woodruff, He's the one that wrote the story.
Speaker 2: Did the Gabe Evans story with contempt?
Speaker 1: Well, of course it's the partisan press, right, So Colorado News Line is a left, pretty far left leaning investigative news outlet.
Speaker 2: That's what they do.
Speaker 1: They go after Republicans kind of like if you go over to Complete Colorado and look at some of the great journalism there, and very trustworthy, good journalism, but it's on the right.
Speaker 2: I happen to think that we need all of we need all of this.
Speaker 1: We actually, you know, politicians don't keep themselves accountable.
Speaker 2: You have to have.
Speaker 1: Different journalistic outlets who are able to look at things and investigate things.
Speaker 2: And yeah, do I think.
Speaker 1: They should have given Gabe Evans the benefit of the day out that he just didn't know.
Speaker 2: About his family's past.
Speaker 1: Yes, would I expect them to give him any grace?
Speaker 2: No, they're a far left newspaper.
Speaker 1: They do some fine investigative work, but don't expect any grace for Republicans in the same way. Pop on over to Fox News and see if you find any grace for Democrats.
Speaker 2: Don't think you're going to find any there.
Speaker 1: Still, they do some valuable investigatory work, and as somebody who reads both, I.
Speaker 2: Appreciate what I get there.
Speaker 1: That said, my Denver Post column this Sunday is about why we should cut gabevs and some slack. We don't always know everything about our families, and we find out and then it changes our personal narrative.
Speaker 2: It's just the way it is. This person says, no, wonder you defended the piece about do Better Denver. I support journalism. I support I don't.
Speaker 1: I just heard about Denver Better or do Better Denver.
Speaker 2: I just heard about it, and I guess I support what they do.
Speaker 1: They're revealing a dark side of Denver, side of Denver that should be revealed.
Speaker 2: A lot of us have seen it.
Speaker 1: We've had to see people in various states of undress, people who are clearly on drugs.
Speaker 2: And I got to say this, if.
Speaker 1: You're giving money to beggars on the side of the street, it's kind of your fault they're there.
Speaker 2: If they weren't.
Speaker 1: Getting that money, that free money, that free food, those folks would have.
Speaker 2: To go to a rehab center.
Speaker 1: And there are a number of places that'll take them in Denver Rescue with one of them, they'd have to go over there, get some help, get sober, get a job, And as long as they're getting your free pocket change, they're not going to have to do that. So you want someone to blame for the dark side of Denver, that's kind of who I blame people who give them money, you know. And the fact that they get some government handouts too, is it's not good. I appreciate the administration most recent executive order encouraging these folks, encouraging states to commit some of these folks to involuntary.
Speaker 2: Institute his institution. Can I say this word or not it is Friday.
Speaker 1: Commit these folks to institutions where they can get the help they need. I can guarantee the guy that was having a full on conversation with five people who weren't there that I saw at star that I saw at Starbucks, I can guarantee that guy's problem isn't that he's quote unquote unhoused. He was on drugs and probably as a mental illness and should be somewhere where he can get help. And simply putting these folks up in a free hotel room isn't getting them the.
Speaker 2: Help they need. And we have to.
Speaker 1: See these folks, you know, in a variety. Like I said, I had to see a guy that was having a pants free moment. I just thank my lucky stars he did not turn around.
Speaker 2: Last thing I.
Speaker 1: Need to see is the front side. It was bad enough, I got to see the back. Another person text in. I wonder if the mayor was involved in influencing the Denver Posts to do this. There are rumors he asked the Denver Posts to investigate. Do better, Denver. You know, I can't say one way or the other. I will say that Denver Post has every right to investigate an influential media influencer, and they did that investigation found that some of those folks don't live here in Colorado, and I don't have a problem with that either.
Speaker 2: Denver should do better.
Speaker 1: We have people with no pants on who are believing themselves in the middle of the street.
Speaker 2: As one text let me know that they had to see that.
Speaker 1: I don't consider it doxing, and I said, I would answer that question, is it fair to dox them?
Speaker 2: I don't think I wouldn't call it doxing.
Speaker 1: I would say that they gave their names, it didn't give their address. In my mind, doxing is the giving of addresses so that bad people can, you know, threaten them.
Speaker 2: I've gotten death threats. I know what that's like.
Speaker 1: I don't want anyone to know my address, and I would be very angry if a newspaper, website, et cetera let people know where I lived, as it would put me in harm's way. The Denver Post piece did not do that, simply commented on the people who are behind the anonymous social influencing social media accounts. I thinks that what they're doing is a service getting this information out. I also think the article from the Denver Post provides a service lets us know who these people are.
Speaker 2: So I guess you could say I support both.
Speaker 1: Let's see this person says, these newspapers sure like to dogs people unnecessarily a couple decades ago, the now defunct Rocky Mountain News published an online searchable database of state employee salaries. We knew our salaries were public knowledge, but that was uncalled for.
Speaker 2: It made our job as managers really tough.
Speaker 1: Explaining why certain employees were paid at different rates had to do with the timing of employment dates and years of service.
Speaker 2: What a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see why that would be a nightmare. Yeah, there's certain things that if you know them, they don't necessarily need to be public. If they are public, then people you know, whether it's salary information, whether it is people's home addresses.
Speaker 2: There are simply things that do not need to be made public. And I don't think we should know the addresses of people, but names. I think that that was probably okay.
Speaker 1: Disagree with me if you would like five six, six, and I know I'd.
Speaker 2: Love to hear what you think.
Speaker 1: Also, before we hit our next brave, we got a little longer segment here. Want to give little shout out to the left for helping the nation move right now and again the far left does something that makes me roll my eyes so hard I could actually get like an eye injury. And this week you know, I'm doing a little show prep this morning, and I thought, what what can I talk about that I can winge about that's not super heavy? Something something really stupid that somebody has done. And lo and behold, the Far Left reveals it and here's here it is. So there's an actress. I guess she was in a show called Euphoria. My sister really liked that show named Sidney Sweeney. She's she's pretty, She's a pretty gal. She's got a kind of a Marilyn Monroe figure. And she did some commercials for American Eagle Jeans in which she jokes about having good genes good jeans as in jeans the clothing, but also good jeans in terms of her genetic makeup, which gives her the beautiful face and figure.
Speaker 2: That she has. It was cute. It was a little kind of.
Speaker 1: Riff on a word. It's just jeans, you know, things you wear. And I guess the Far Left went nuts. I'm sorry, so I stubbed.
Speaker 2: Is it ever a break? Oh?
Speaker 1: I you know what I didn't realize I had. Huh, I had a break and then a break. Okay, forgive me. I am the fillin host after all. And it is Friday, and I didn't get a lot of sleep. There's my excuse. We'll talk a little more about that subject, plus continuing thoughts on do you Better Denver when we get back from this break. Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: I know it's you tune in to hear your host.
Speaker 1: And there's another voice so off, one about journalism. Gave Evans's story do Denver do better? Denver story? What the Denver Post did? Was it doxing?
Speaker 2: And I need to correct I misspoke.
Speaker 1: I was reading what a texture had put in about wondering if the mayor was involved in influencing the Denver Post to do it do this. Also said there there are rumors he asked the Denver Police Department, not the Denver Post, but DPD, not just dp Yes, Kayfer, put your glasses on to investigate.
Speaker 2: Do better Denver? I don't know. I can't speak to that rumor.
Speaker 1: Another person says, hey, it is doxing because they are non public figures.
Speaker 2: And another person said.
Speaker 1: Hey, once you know the names, you can certainly look up the addresses and that makes them a target.
Speaker 2: Hey, I think that's fair. I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: And there may be some who knows some kind of legal consequences, as another person predicts, you know what, I think looking at people who are behind a particular social media campaign is fair game for journalists. So I will defend both Do Better Denver, which highlights the dark side of Denver, as well as the Denver Post. We're talking about what, you know, who's behind it. I think that's that's all fair. But I I take the disagreements, you know, I think that's fair too. I'm also talking about what what sort of stupid thing? You know. I wanted to find at least one stupid thing to harp on something stupid that the left has done that you know, keeps the American public moving right and lo and behold, I did happen to find it.
Speaker 2: It's actually low hanging fruit, and that is.
Speaker 1: There was an ad This is for Eagle American Eagle genes. This very pretty actress, her name is Sydney Sweeney. She did a little kind of you know, a little riff in the commercial about having good jeans, good jeans as in the American Eagle jeens, the fabric, the the you know, the pants she was wearing, as well as having good jeans, which you know, she's quite beautiful, so clearly she has pretty good jeens. Well, so the far left decides that the ad is racist because it's saying that blonde, blue eyed, yeah, the blonde, blue eyed white woman. Somehow having her in the commercial quote sends a message that certain types of heritage are better than others.
Speaker 2: I don't see that. I think it was just a cute.
Speaker 1: Little ad about you know, pretty actress who says, yeah, can I say I've got good jeans, jeans that she's wearing jeans that make her beautiful. I don't think it means that other kinds of beauty are inferior, are less than the kind of beauty embodied by this particular actress. Well, when the left gets itself into a tizzy over something like this, starts pointing their finger and saying, oh, but.
Speaker 2: It's just so racist.
Speaker 1: You can't have a blonde actress advocating for genes and using a double entendre for genes. It causes the American public to go, say, what, really, it's a commercial about genes. And I tend to agree with somebody quoted in this article saying, well that when they flip out like that, it encourages people to vote for people like Trump, and I tend to think that that's true as well. When you overreact and say really silly things like calling everyone racist, it tends to make people will go, well, hey, if that's what you think, I am fine, here's how.
Speaker 2: I'm going to vote.
Speaker 1: And I have to say that I appreciate some of the cultural correction that has taken place under this administration. I have both good and bad things to say about the current administration.
Speaker 2: I'll spare you the bad and simply stick.
Speaker 1: With the good for the remaining a few minutes of the show, And one of them is I'm glad that we are making a cultural correction on a number of points. No, boys should not be using the girl's bathroom. No men should not be competing against women in women's sports.
Speaker 2: Thank you Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Administration, Thank you President Donald Trump for pushing away from this idea that biological sex does not matter. Yes, it matters, And if a man wants to live as a woman or a woman wants to live as a man, that's their life, their choice. But it doesn't change my right to associate with other women in sports, associate with other women when it comes to locker rooms and bathrooms, doesn't change the right of my niece to be in a high school where she has a bathroom and a locker room that is reserved only for biological girls. It doesn't change the rights of true biological women and girls. We still retain our rights even when someone decides they want to live as the opposite sex. And actually I have a friend that's done that. He is living as a woman. Still a really great economist, so I enjoy hearing his insights about the economy.
Speaker 2: But I am not going to call him a woman. If we don't see each other that often, so it's probably not going to come up.
Speaker 1: But I appreciate that cultural pushback.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the fact that there's a sense that.
Speaker 1: People who are living on the street who are clearly meant ill, that those people need to be in institutions. That's something that the Trump administration just put a directive out about. I appreciate that because I don't want to see somebody who's mentally ill, and yeah, the guy with no pants.
Speaker 2: On, there's a good chance there's some mental illness there.
Speaker 1: Not judging it, just saying that that person would be better served in an institution than on the streets. So there's there's some cultural pushback that I appreciate, and the.
Speaker 2: Idea that no, we do not live in.
Speaker 1: A horrible racist country where commercial with a blonde actress is somehow signifying that American eagle is racist, or jeans are racist, or advertising as racist.
Speaker 2: And you know, how about reserve.
Speaker 1: Comments about racist for like actual racist, which do exist and should be called out. But that commercial is not like that. And when the left winges over people's genes, it only causes the rest of the people to go, yeah, okay, no thanks, no thanks.
Speaker 2: Getting a couple of comments on.
Speaker 1: Give me a couple of comments on this topic, I hit a few of them.
Speaker 2: Says.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that maybe the Sweeney commercial was the first of many, and wouldn't the left feel really bad if they put a beautiful black woman or a beautiful Hispanic woman in the later commercials. Yeah, if it was a series of commercials showing beautiful women saying yeah, I've got good jeans, you know, and who knows, for all we know the pushback they've gotten, they'll stop running these ads.
Speaker 2: The act is is that.
Speaker 1: All human beings are beautiful, all human beings are unique. One of my favorite things to watch I'll give them a little shout out every morning.
Speaker 2: I tried to watch a video. It's through Facebook.
Speaker 1: It's called Born Different, and it's people who are born with genetic anomalies that make their lives pretty tough, but it's about them overcoming. Maybe they were born without arms and legs, maybe they were born with.
Speaker 2: Bones that break really easily.
Speaker 1: Maybe they are born with you know, prigeria or a condition that will seriously shorten their life and the quality of that life. And I love watching how these beautiful people overcome those difficulties to live their lives. Some cases, get married, have children, go to school. And if you want to widen your definition of what is beautiful, of what is brave, of what is inspiring, I would highly recommend these videos. I watch them every morning because I want to get my own attitude straight. I have got a chronic health condition that's not a lot of fun and I want to have a good attitude about it, and these videos help me get a good attitude. I'm one of those people that just things, you know, human beings are beautiful, become in all different shades, all different sizes. Sometimes what is a great heartache to somebody being born with a disability is in fact what brings out the greatest beauty of that person through their strength, their endurance, their overcoming And it's quite inspirational to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite inspirational. A couple other comments.
Speaker 1: Let's see who went ultra woke about the Sweeney Jeans.
Speaker 2: Let's talk to them. You know, I don't know if it was a New York Times, I don't know who it was.
Speaker 1: I just I read about the backlash to the backlash and thought, who in the world complains about an actress in a gene commercial. Well, I guess you could say I'm complaining about the people who are comple about the people in the commercials. So I guess that makes me part of the conversation. This person says, I liked your show today. You make coaching points, and you don't scream at me. I don't know that I have the energy to scream.
Speaker 2: I think that's I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to figure out when I lost my capacity for screaming and outrage. And I don't know if it's chronic pain that took it out of me, but I just don't have it in me to to scream, to be completely outraged.
Speaker 2: I you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Obviously offended by human evil and the painful, horrible things that people inflict on one another, war, starvation, things like that. But I'm no longer as I never really was that capable. But I've lost what limited capacity I have to be outraged. And I don't even know that I can scream. I'm trying to think about what would make it. I guess falling out of an airplane probably do it.
Speaker 2: I don't scream at spiders. Actually like spiders. I like snakes.
Speaker 1: I like dogs that other people find scary, you know, big german shepherds and pit bulls.
Speaker 2: I just don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't get fear easily either, not to say there aren't some things out there that are pretty scary.
Speaker 2: I just not much for screaming.
Speaker 1: So let's see, we had all of our subjects today. Let's see if I will say this. I hit it earlier in the show, and that was a happy birthday. Colorado. Colorado turns one hundred and forty nine. Obviously, the state goes back farther than that. It was a territory. Before that that it was the home to various native tribes, but as a state, it is now one hundred and forty nine years old, and there's still some things I absolutely love about that's the state, and I think I will end the show with thoughts on that. If you have thoughts on what you love about this about the state, or we want to go on a thing or two that you don't like about it, that's fine as well.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, having lived here almost my entire life.
Speaker 1: I was on the East Coast for nine years, but I was born and raised here. The things that I like about where we've gone as a state. Number one, we have better restaurants than we ever had back in the nineteen seventies. Back in the nineteen seventies, you know, there was Benny Hannah, there was I guess the Yum Yum Tree. As listener pointed out earlier, there was the Magic Pan, but a lot of it was just diners. And now there is every kind of delicious food, especially if you go out to Aurora, east of Denver. Aurora has some of the best ethnic food, different restaurants from around the world. It is really I've quite a soft space in my heart for Aurora and all of the delicious food that you can find there.
Speaker 2: So got better food, it's cleaner, Back in.
Speaker 1: The nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties, all of us littered. And it's not like we were littering and feeling bad about it. We were just littering and feeling good about it. Frankly, I remember as a teenager just tossing whole bags of McDonald's trash out the window, not to mention cigarette butts, not to mention, you know, I blow my nose, throw that out the window, and it doesn't even occur to me that it was a bad thing to do. Nowadays, I will chase a flying receipt that has come out of my purse. I will, you know, chase it around my car as the wind blows it so as not to litter. I do not litter. I don't like littering. I you know, on top of that at all, I compost. I'm just very sensitive about reusing and trash and recycling and definitely not into littering. So we have a cleaner city, which I appreciate. All of our you know, little main streets are really cute now. Used to be that a lot of these little main streets had kind of gone dark, you know, people moved out to the suburbs, left a lot of these main streets they at empty storefronts or you know ced bars now downtown Littleton, downtown, Parker, downtown, Golden there's all of these little great downtown's, little city centers. So even newer city centers like Southlands or Bellmar that are just fun, fun, community, fun, sense of community. A lot of regional theaters, just you know, good times.
Speaker 2: A lot of a lot of farmers' markets. You could make it out this weekend.
Speaker 1: There's a great farmers market at Parker on Sundays, a lot of other farmers'.
Speaker 2: Markets, great fresh food.
Speaker 1: Didn't have that as a kid. You wanted those fresh peaches.
Speaker 2: You made that.
Speaker 1: Drive to the Grand Junction, you picked up your beaches there. Now you can get them here. So these are good points about the city of my birth and now, of course we could talk about the homelessness. We could talk about, you know, the crime rate being quite a bit higher. We could talk about the fact that traffic is well, it's shortened my life.
Speaker 2: Put it that way. I was trying to get to my birthday dinner.
Speaker 1: I had a birthday, I turned forty five again earlier this week, and a train on a set of tracks I didn't even know we're operable. That just a train basically stuck on Santa fe Like, who thought that was smart?
Speaker 2: During rush hour? That is trained to sit there.
Speaker 1: But usually it's not trains, it's cars, it's accidents, it's people doing stupid things. It's just the fact that we don't have big enough ros. I don't know what is but the traffic is mind blowingly annoying.
Speaker 2: But I want to I want to leave on a positive point.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of a lot of good things, a lot of good people, a lot of good trails, a lot of good bike trails, hiking trails, you know, sports teams, restaurants for the most part, traffic aside, crime aside. I would say Denver is a better place than the city that I grew up in. See I said, I don't on a positive note, I got to do it. I also want to say thanks to Zach behind the glass. He did a great job today. Appreciate that. And also just thank you Mandy Connell for allowing me to sub It has been an absolute pleasure. And finally I want to say thank you to all of you listeners. I know, trust me,