Speaker 1: Ah ah.
Speaker 2: Of you.
Speaker 1: Okay man, what what's so funny? You've got fun Factor Two old gamers reviewing old video game magazine reviews. I'm Ty Shelter, He's Aiden Moher, and we're two professional writers who grew up loving the video games and video game magazines of the nineteen eighties, nineteen nineties, and two thousands. Every episode we take a critical look back on the games media that, for better and for worse, inspired us to do what we do. First, go to funfactor pod dot com, follow the show on your podcatcher of choice. Leave us a rating review on iTunes, Spotify, or or wherever you get your media. We'll read the best, kindest, funniest and most insightful ones on the air in our letter section. Please consider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers, the unlock ad free episodes, bonus episodes, and the members only channels of our discord. Just go to Funfactor pod dot com and I promise you cannot miss the sign up widget on our homepage. Then help us spread the word shut us out on blue Sky, at funfactor pod dot com and everywhere else at fun Factor Pod. Oh boy, Ty, I've been waiting for this moment.
Speaker 3: On today's episode, we're gonna discuss another one of the most beloved games of.
Speaker 1: All time, another one, another one. Can you believe it?
Speaker 3: We've done Halo. I've got another Doom episode cooking for the future. You know, can't have too many of those. We can never have too many Doom episodes. And of course, we covered a bunch of personal favorites last season, like Krono Trigger and Carnage Heart. Carnage Heart with issue one to five a game Former, which is still in January two thousand and two, we have not left the very first month of this of this new season's timeframe. We're finally covering a game I love to talk about and very publicly dislike against public sentiment, It's.
Speaker 1: Final Fantasy X. We'll get my thoughts on. We'll get to my thoughts and on soon. Yeah, yeah, I intend to. And two's a whole different thing.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask Ty, like, what are some popular games that just didn't work for you personally?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because, like we've said, part of my whole thing, my fascination with critique and games media, especially at this time, is discovering my own taste, discovering taste as a concept, you know, like what is objectively good and what is like what I like and what I don't like? Right, So I there, you know, I didn't buy games that I didn't think I would, at least like if not love and I figured that out. But there were a lot of popular games around this time and game franchises we've talked about before, and I don't want to linger too more long on the ones I've already talked about a lot, but like you know, Virtue a fighter for me, where the hook is like realism, ye, but the graphics couldn't be less realistic, you know, like just graphically it was just so is to look at, and the designs weren't interesting to me, and like they're like, oh yeah, theoretically there's all this like depth and realism, but like yeah, okay, too normal looking people trying to do like real judo moves on each other. It's just like that's not a video game to me, even if it was perfectly realistic or photo realistic, which the new leaked Virtual Fighter video like wow, yeah that looks great, Bease are a little more interesting, but like for me, I just this is just no same thing. I think fighting games must be hit or miss for me, because I was thinking about this and Teken was another one where I was like, okay, so this looks repellent. It's two D fighting with three D graphics. The camera, especially tech in one, where like the camera angle would just like swing around and smash cut from angle to angle. You know, you're playing all of a sudden the cameras just from another angle. I'm like, okay, that looks dramatic in a fighting movie, but like, I can't play this game this way. So I detested Techon. I know lots of people love Tecan, but like.
Speaker 3: To me, I just Techan is one of the few fighting franchises that I like enjoyed quite a bit.
Speaker 1: On the PlayStation.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but probably for the exact opposite reasons. A lot of people, like you're liked it or disliked it, Like I liked that it was kind of mashy and chaotic and like.
Speaker 1: Sure but sure yeah, And I'll say I still haven't given Dragon Quest a real shot, oh because I just can't get away from you know, and as much as I like to be oh, like, I like gameplay, you know, like back at this time. This was the big thing gameplay like interactivity, like that's the real thing is you know, the focus on graphics is yeah, is too. But like also like I want to be inspired to play a game. I want to spend time in the world. I want to find the character it's interesting and intriguing. And like Dragon Quest, maybe I got spoiled by starting with Chrono Trigger, but like you know, because that was like really my introduction too JRPGs. Like I look at Dragon Quest, and every dragon Quest ever makes me just go wow, this looks like shitty Chrono Trigger, Like it just looks like like like like you know, here's all these characters, you know, minakes and stuff, and they put out the oh people like oh that's my boy discount Goku and like the oh my girls discount Goku.
Speaker 3: It was They're designed by Toria No I know, like like right, well, and that's I think that's why I like I like Chrono Trigger because so many of the designs are like Okay, Toriyama gave us the starting point and then we built on it, versus like Okay, this is just Toriyama doing this Toriyama thing, and like all non dragon Balls, like I like I love dragon Ball, but like a lot of non Dragonball Toriama stuff is sometimes like, you know, it's wildly hit or missed for me, whether it's like, oh, this is just Toriyama cranking out his thing and all the Dragon Quest character designs, like just like it just doesn't look compelling to me, so I'm I should give.
Speaker 1: It a fair shot. Two things.
Speaker 3: One great Chrono Trigger anecdote. If you've read my book Fight Magic Items, you probably know it. But a curator Yama famously did the character design and like created like visual design for Chrono Trigger, but all he provided for the characters was them from the front, So he only drew them from the front, did not draw like three sixties of their back or their sides, and so the pixel artists had to like basically make it up based on his his designs from the front. And my understanding is, like we've seen all the key art from Chrono Trigger, the art that's on the cover, like the concept epic ye flying through, you know, the speeding up for the time warp. I I think all that concept art is all Toriyama actually did for Chrono Trigger, and then everything else was the pixel artists and stuff following up. Second of all, tie, everything that you like most about Chrono Trigger is its dragon Quest DNA. That makes sense and so like if you like like the characters and the story beats and the structure and all of that is so dragon Quest that a lot of people call Chrono Trigger the best Final Fantasy game. To me, it feels more like a dragon Quest game than it does a Final Fantasy game. If I had to split hairs.
Speaker 1: So give it a shot.
Speaker 3: We can talk off air about some of the good starting points eight eleven five if you have access to it.
Speaker 1: Oh, very good. Interesting. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Another game series for me, which I almost chose for this episode actually is Grand Theft Auto. I actually played more of the first two games. Did you know there's a Grand Theft Auto one and two? Ty I missed out on the PS two entries. Like a friend had Vice City, I think one of my brother's friends and would bring it over, So.
Speaker 1: I like dabbled it a little, but didn't play it too much.
Speaker 3: I just liked my RPGs, and that's what I was playing when I finally decided to give the series a shot.
Speaker 1: With GTA four, I just couldn't really get.
Speaker 3: Past the ludo narrative dissonance of the story about an immigrant seeking a new life in America to escape the violence in his home country, who then just immediately goes on this like sociopathic crime spree. And so there was this like divergence between the gameplay, which was classic grand theft auto and story beats. They were so far apart in those terms. That was just sort of the end of the series for me. I just never really.
Speaker 1: Could get past that dissonance.
Speaker 3: And I just can get fun sandbox experiences in a lot of other ways, in a lot of other games, And so it's just, you know, if I want zany samdbox experience, I can play goat Simulators three or one whatever, and it's ridiculous, and I spend forty five minutes and then get bored of the sandbox gameplay and move on without the tension, the bad tension, the bad friction of that narrative dissonance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for me, you know, we've talked about this a little bit before. My dad mom split when I was one, and my dad very quickly remarried and converted to born again evangelicalism. So every other like once a week and then every other weekend like go over for dinner on week once a week, and then I'd spent every other weekend with them, and so I was getting the stereotypical eighties nineties evangelical parenting experience half you know, twenty percent of the time. And then I would come back home to my mom, who's a lapsed Catholic, dabbling in uh, you know, wu wu stuff, yoga, astrology, the taro, all that kind of stuff, and so like I'm getting like like whiplash, and then so trying to find my own moral compass, Like you know, Vice City. My best friend met in college had Vice City and we were roommates for both in and out of college for a couple of years. So you play Vice City and it'd be this mix of like, oh, wow, that's so cool and like, oh I don't like that. Yeah, okay, I do like that, but I feel really guilty about it, you know, Like it's this like like constant tension between like, yeah, this is exactly what I want to do. No, that's actually GROSSA Oh that's do I think that's gross? Or is that my stepmom and dad like in my head telling me it's you know, and so like, uh four, I didn't really like five. I didn't play until the Pandemic, which I think I've brought up before. You had your multiplayer like multiplayer, yeah, yeah, doing the the pists the I keep wanting to say Cabo San Lucas because that's what it's it's based off of, right, it's but it's an island like that drug Kingpin and you got to go and do your heist team and like that was an incredibly fun experience. And then even outside of those heist missions, some of the sandbox stuff was wild. Did I tell the story about the Big Inferno? I think I've heard it maybe off air before, but I don't think you've ever told it on the show. Okay, so real quick, we're doing these these heist missions, right, and the idea is you have to go do a bunch of missions in the city to get like body armor or weapons or whatever. And there's multiple different ways you can crash this drug Kingpin's island, up to and including using a Russian submarine bought off surplus. Once you buy that, you can sneak in and swim in through the sewer grade. Right, So it's super cool, but you have to do these prep missions and the more prep missions you do, the easier the actual run is. And so we were doing one of the prep missions and we had a helicopter park our helicopter. We go inside, we shoot up these guys, We take their guns and you know, bullet bests, and we come out and everything is on fire. Everything is on fire, just total conflagration, like two blocks, all the cars are on fire, our helicopter is on fire. Well, I should say, while we're in the mission, all of our quest markers disappear and I'm like, what is going on? And then we come outside and everything's on fire, and we're like so we start walking around. We're on you know, Mike around live Chat, like I'm over here, like our helicopters destroyed, all these cars are destroyed. A couple other people are walking around, you know, We're like what happened? And we slowly pieced together that two that a commercial airliner and a private plane. Oh no, all NPCs, yeah, right, like just in the world collided in mid air above our heads, landed on the streets, blew up all of everybody's stuff, including our helicopter, which is a required thing to run from thing to thing, and like boom, our quest failed because our helicopter got destroyed. Yeah, while you like doing something completely different, Yeah, yeah, and so does the emergent Sandbox gameplay. The world lost track of two planes and they just collided together, and like unbelievable, just the fact there's so many levels of like emergent things happening. We were all just like, I can't even be bad. That's incredible and so still years later, years later, So and like that, like you say that sort.
Speaker 3: Of emergent gameplay of like the gameplay is, the story is, the narrative is really compelling, Like I do really like that and I enjoy it and stuff like Fallout three, Like I have so many fun stories that happened because of just like the way you know, the gameplay unfolded, right, and that's unique to like my experience, and that's cool. But GTA was just never doing that for me. I also think it's interesting that specifically it took multiplayer for you to find your sort of fit with that series, Like I've found myself just drifting away from a lot of the major like non Nintendo Triple A releases these days in favor of smaller titles, any games, like I'm playing Yoshi. Right now, I'm playing Mina the Hollower. But you know, I got caught up in the Blueprints hype last year. That was a big hyped up and.
Speaker 1: We're doing it now. It's swollen four of the five of us now, yes, every time I played Blueprints, we have to have four of us.
Speaker 3: And it's so good. So you know, I'm not immune to hype. But like something like Pragmata and Marathon just have completely passed me by. And like, for you, multiplayer was the key that unlocked Grand Theft Auto, but I've just found it so hard to get into like any multiplayer focused games. Like my friends were really into hell Divers too, and I played a little bit with them, but just the time commitment of being there reliably and stuff is just so so tricky.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I want to play something like Marathon, and Andrew and Chat is saying, like Marathon has a free.
Speaker 1: Week coming up from June second to June ninth.
Speaker 3: That's cool, Like I'll probably give it a shot because it looks cool, but it's just like my schedule just doesn't really allow for those multiplayer games. So stuff like MMOs, I like, Wow, I like Funanci fourteen but I can play.
Speaker 1: Those on my schedule the way I play them. Yes, never got into like graide groups and stuff like that, guilds because I'm just it's just too hard for me to like chunk out parts of my life that other people are kind of relying on me for. That's what my kids do exactly, and you know, your whole season. You know, we got we had kids early, but our youngest graduates from high school tomorrow. So that is incredible that that brings graduate of schedule stuff. Thank you, thank you. They're they're crushing it. They're going to state fourth third generation Michigan State on my wife's side, fourth generation Michigan State on my side. Spartans. I went Spartans. That's hey, yeah, so that's that's it's pretty cool. But then also, you know, it's like the season of your life where like you can't do stuff because of kids. It's like, all right, cool, I'm gonna have from when i'm you know, forty five, forty six, forty seven up through dead, like have raid groups. Yeah, right, I think about that because my kids are quite a bit younger than yours. My illness isn't even close to graduating high school and I do think, like I look at you know, my parents and my in laws, and I'm like, oh, okay, Like we will get back to a point where I can like go do stuff with my wife, just the two of us, and like, you know, where I can have time where like you know, every Tuesday and Thursday I spend time. Maybe it's playing magic cards with my friends, or maybe it's getting into like a multiplayer game more seriously, but you know for sure, and then off it's worth it. Like family life is awesome, but it is like does make it hard? Yeah, and then when your kids get older, you're doing stuff together. You're playing prints.
Speaker 3: Together, you know, wather and that sort of. Yes, that's my raid group, right like it is playing with my kids. They're like they're my my friend group for multiplayer games, playing Mario Kart, or we're playing Animal Crossing, or even just sitting down like hanging out while they're playing Tomodachi Life and they're showing me their island and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it is still there, just in a different way. I suppose. All right, well, folks, we could go on like this forever, but we have an issue to look at. We have a review to do. It is time to open the cover and get started. If you're not already a member of fun Factor Ultra watching us stream this session live in the chat, getting ad free episodes, hang tight through this break. When we come back, we will flip through which is here? Is it? Game in Former number one oh five from January two thousand and two. Game in Former number one oh five from January two thousand and two, and they're really the final fantasy. Welcome back to fun Factor, where two old gamers review old video game magazine reviews. Of course we want you to review us. Do we get a full five point zero in fun Factor? Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts and we'll read the best, funniest, kindest, and most entertaining ones on the air. All Bright Aiden, What is the deal with Game Informer?
Speaker 3: All right, so Game Informer as we know it was popularized. I guess it started life as like a newsletter for Game Stop or Babbage's I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: The American fun coland brands fun co Land.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, but uh, Progressing is just one of the most important iconic gaming mags ever. And now they're like an indie operation which is really cool. You know, a lot of respect for that. And they've been around forever as well, which is the other import thing, Like, unlike the other magazines that have like come and gone and reached a peak like EGM but then disappeared, like Game Informer has just been around forever and so they've covered everything. This issue number one oh five from January two thousand and two has had on the cover, which I think is pretty cool. This issue has a page count of one hundred and twenty six, which is starting to catch up with what this era looks like. In the mid nineties, Game Informer was kind of slim when you had three hundred plus page count and stuff like EGM. But this issue, you know, at one hundred and twenty six, with like feature editorial, lots of reviews, quite a few ads, feels pretty matched up with its contemporaries. Number of games reviewed in this issue fifty six Jesus.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, that's a lot, a lot.
Speaker 3: Number of systems reviewed for is even higher, like a zillion because there's a Breakout review on page one hundred and seventy one and seventeen and they list it as a multi platform game and Breakout has been on pretty much every console of all time. But otherwise, more realistically, it's eleven. So we have PC, Dreamcast, GameCube, PlayStation two, game Boy Advance, Xbox, PlayStation one, SNS Apple two, E Sega CD, and Genesis. Wow, a lot of reviews, a lot of systems.
Speaker 1: So they've got a retro I mean, I'm assuming we'll get there, but yeah, like that's that's fascinating. Yeah, So they have a section at the back which is like retro coverage and then retro reviews, and that's where we get the not the PlayStation but the SNS Apple two, E Sega CD and Genesis reviews and the breakout review of course.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a lot of reviews. Looking at the masthead, which starts on page seventeen.
Speaker 1: Jason Wft and Chat, I just wanted to say so, I worked at Gamestat from twenty six to twenty twelve, and I remember Gaming four as the quote magazine they give you to try to justify the monthly discount subscription. Yeah, and yeah, we talked about that. I think our first Game Informer issue or I'm sorry, I did it. I did it. Our first Game in Former episode was the one with the Carnage Heart review. I think in season one, yes, episode fourteen, and it was the same thing where it was like, you know, I kind of missed the peak Game Informer, like yeah, like mid twenty tens, late twenty tens, early twenty twenties, Oh, this is the best magazine going. And everybody's like, oh, Game Informer the goat the best magazine, And I was like, oh, that was like the thing they just tried to sell you at the game store when you're buying games. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, then that was always my impression because I couldn't really it was hard to get it in Canada, like you got it was at eb games sometimes, but it wasn't what I had access to, and so I just thought of it as you know, basically like promo pr which I kind of was. But looking back, I think we've both been surprised that the content is actually really strong, especially the like non critical stuff like there's we'll get to it, but there's like a fantastic feature on here in Obasak Gucci in this issue.
Speaker 1: That stuff was always really good.
Speaker 3: Nice, Okay, So on page seventeen, we've got the masthead.
Speaker 1: We'll get to it for in a second. Because I don't want to spoil what's coming up in the flip.
Speaker 3: But we've got the mass heead kicking off with publisher Kathy Preston, Games Media Hall of Famer Andy McNamara as the Eice, who we've previously.
Speaker 1: Mentioned on episodes.
Speaker 3: Right under Andy, We've got editors Andrew Reiner, Matt Hegelson, Christian Broger, Justin Leeper, Matthew Cato, and John Storm. Then there's the mascot Arthur, who's a dog, I guess, Art director Thomas Bleston, production director Curtis fun and production assistant Rachel Gillies round out the Masthead. It's pretty small considering like the number of reviews in this issue, and really the reviewers are Andy Reiner, Matt Christian, Justin and Cato, So like small review crew, small overall Masthead for like a pretty content rich magazine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if I'm remembering from the first one we did, basically from like ninety five on, there's like no turnover at this magazine. Yeah, it's like, you know, if the short tenured people were there for like fourteen years, you know, it's the same real tight nucleus of people almost start to finish once again. My once an episode lament about how we got into games media at the wrong time time. Yes, yes, but as we flip I think we're ready for the flip through. Yeah, you're ready flip through.
Speaker 3: So on the cover, we've got a pretty striking image and like pretty striking cover, I would say, feet a bunch of the recognizable like key art portraits from Final Fantasy ten. So these are the character portraits you see everywhere but the remix and like you know, like photoshopped or whatever into a way that puts Titus, you know, front and center.
Speaker 1: Feeling is pretty bold.
Speaker 3: It's low on text, just hyping up all the Final Fantasy ten coverage, including quote, complete strategy guide with weapons, sum locations, first review, interviews with development team, and a look at its place in history.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool. My girl Ricu is consigned to a depressingly tiny portion of this. Yeah yeah, talking before this is Game Informer. I should go back and look at the kind of the spread of covers because they didn't have a big in house art team, so their covers tended to range from wildly strong to pretty weak. Yeah, based on how strong the art they were using. Because it's usually official assets or something that was commissioned or whatever from from the PI team, so they usually are pretty good at laying out graphics provided by somebody else. Yes is a perfect example. And notably they're not using in game artwork here, you.
Speaker 3: Know, which which helps, I think. But it's also funny because you can see like you know, glow effect on Oron or on Oran and Tiitus his hair, so you know that they were like clipping this out of like larger art right. They weren't handling like transparent PNGs, so they had some rough edges that they had to like, you know, mask which you know I do all the time I do for our YouTube thumbnails. Get those rough edges and see put a border around.
Speaker 1: It and they go away.
Speaker 3: But all in all, I would say it's a pretty striking cover. Tucked right above the game for Um, tucked right above the magazine's title quite easily lost, which would be like the big feature for most issues of other magazines is a tagline for the quote tenth Annual Video Game Awards, which are not the Killies. This is game in four long running video game.
Speaker 1: Awards, which we will get to later.
Speaker 3: It's all like, you know, exceptionally clean owing I think likely to its corporate ties, not needing to compete against other gaming mags on the grocery store shelves, you know, So they weren't trying to cram everything on the cover and say, hey, we're the most important of these magazines by us, not the other ones. And that's always been Game Informers thing as they've gotten older, and now now that they're indie, their covers are super clean, even though they are in books, you know, bookstore bookshelves. They don't have that Ebie games or game stop tie anymore where they're being handed out with like edge cards or whatever. But they've still gone with that super clean look with like beautiful art. And I would say that cover art is like a strength of current Game Informer issues as like an ongoing magazine that still exists. And of course their cover stories are always big news.
Speaker 1: They always get big exclusives, Yes they do.
Speaker 3: And so that was like I think access was what Game Informer did best, and we're seeing that here. You know, they're just like we got fun wenesay t we got everything you want, buy us.
Speaker 1: Pick us up. But let's get through the actual flip through.
Speaker 3: Now we're gonna make a very brief stop on pages five and six to appreciate you boy, Connecticut again as always, and then we're gonna skip right past that.
Speaker 1: Wait, oh god, I'll go back on. I want to know because I kind of keep this up on my side. Also, one last note on the ridiculous of the Connecticut h note that all of the speed lines are in one direction and none of the wheels. Oh yeah, going direction like we're not really yeah, like you wouldn't like there's no hope of rolling in that notion. That figured very funny. Okay, that's a good poll. That's that's good time. I did not notice that this isn't even possible, even sort of even in the fiction where this is something possible and cool. Yeah, just terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if those speed lines are going in that direction, she is not. She's she's having a tough, tough.
Speaker 1: Sliding on her knee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Okay, skipping pass Connecticut, we have the greatest three D fighter of all time, in her Life three as.
Speaker 1: Pronounced by Xbox Official Magazine. Yes, that's right, Exam, shout out to ox M. Here we have the masthead that I skipped reading earlier on page eighteen. We have the editors Forum, which is you know, we have Andy McNamara's editorial as I see, but several of the other editors, Ryan or Matt Christian Justin Cato all also get sort of a little blog style editorial area, yeah, to write whatever they want to write about. And I think that's a pretty cute and good.
Speaker 3: Idea, something I would love to have seen other magazines do.
Speaker 1: Whenever I meet one of my thousands of fans out in public, they usually start our conversation with one question, aren't you that guy from ER? Great? Thank you Matt the original gamer excellent, good stuff. There are two Matts that must be Matt Hegelson. Which guy from R does he look like? I don't know er.
Speaker 3: But in any case, and it's nice too, because you know Cato's is like referring to his call him from the month previous and stuff. So just a cool little idea to give each editors sort of editorial space to talk about whatever they want, the same way that an eic usually does. Andy mcmarra says, like, you know, in his editorial he talks about getting hate mail, which was interesting, and so he uses to talk about the GameCube.
Speaker 1: But we are going to carry on.
Speaker 3: To page in my script, it says page twelve. What we have already past page twelve, so it must be page twenty two. Let's see here we go. Yes, page we have early aughts mainstay Jason Biggs playing PlayStation two, and I swear to god ty this is the exact same photo we saw in a previous episode.
Speaker 1: This is also just.
Speaker 3: Another reminder of how hard they were trying to link video games to celebrity culture in the early aughts. But like, besides Biggs, David Spade, Monica Geller, and her husband David Arquette. I think that cas her Eye, but he's not a celebrity. He's like, he's like, he's the Sony guy. I don't know who any of these people are.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, Alicia Keys, which is Alicia Keys, was.
Speaker 3: A pretty good get for like a Sony PS two anniversary party. But she's also not even there to play video Um she's performing.
Speaker 1: Calling these a list stars a bit of a stretch relatively relatively yeah, like again from by video game party standards. Yeah, it's just like the American Pie cast. Like, I don't know, it's just fine and it's funny how much they wanted to like Friend of the Show pandemoniums Digital Pictures, Yes, retrospective which eight and a half hours that you absolutely should make time for incredible stuff. The way that Digital Pictures was edging around Hollywood and interfacing with Hollywood and getting all these you know, fascinating stuff.
Speaker 3: Try hard, right, like to move into that picture moving picture space, I guess movies rather than like kind of being their own thing. And I think it's good that we've gotten away from that. You know, we have lots of celebrity voice actors you know, likednesses, but I'm glad.
Speaker 1: That we got gone away from that area.
Speaker 3: Page twenty six features some letter art of Captain America that would make Rob Leifel proud. More notably, however, it's from I believe the first person I actually recognized from the letter section of.
Speaker 1: One of these magazines.
Speaker 3: All Tassi, who sent this in is a Forbes games journalist with many reviews listed on Open Critics. Whoo, yeah, I'm assuming it's the same polastic but uh but yeah, pretty pretty neat to actually recognize a name in and amongst all of this.
Speaker 1: Okay, can we see the Cano versus PaRappa? Oh? Yes, okay, here we go, I can that's fantastic. Here we go, look at that. That's pretty good. That is in like Simpsons style style. I guess, yeah, it's a pretty good Simpsons stuff. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah.
Speaker 1: I like the big hole, like the three D hole in his chest and stuff. It's like pretty slick, pretty slick, some other good. I don't not sure what that one is. An Italian to bring a spear to an X fight. I don't remember any spear carrying Italians in a case.
Speaker 3: Always let yeah, I always love the The envelope art and Paul Tassi being in there was in interesting. We are going to keep going to page thirty for GI News, which I assume stands for gastro Intestinal News.
Speaker 1: First to step on your joke from the script. It got me. Oh my gosh, that's great. Uh.
Speaker 3: It's one of the pictures here. This is about the Xboxing.
Speaker 1: Game cube Blanche.
Speaker 3: One photo here has Bill Gates slumming it with the normies, presumably holding back some diarrhea or something. We have Minnesota's first Xbox owner, Jim Heitke, who definitely looks like he's holding back some squirts. Oh yeah, and a GameStop employee so nauseous their hair has turned Xbox green.
Speaker 1: A lot of GI news, a lot of gastro intestinal news in this issue. Yes, then later here he really this looks like this guy definitely camped out for thirty six. Oh oh yeah, this is our thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's in rough shape man. Yeah, and his reward for that is an Xbox.
Speaker 3: He did get Halo, one of the great There's some like subversive advertising.
Speaker 1: I missed this when I was writing my script. But if we zoom in down the air, what do we have? What do we have? David Former? Oh? Nice, like recursive advertising. It's cool. It's fun to watch coverage of the Xbox and GameCube launch. They have a little, you know, interview with Bill Gates, though I don't know if it's an actual interview. Yeah, it's an interview with.
Speaker 3: Bill Gates, and then talk about Microsoft pushes PlayStation three and a rendering of the PlayStation three, which is quite funny looking on page thirty two in the middle of this orange bar with a baby beside it, we have Developer Top five with Victor Ireland. Oh, it seems like a list of the least Victor Ireland games of all time. Known for working designs and RPGs like ARC's Lad on the opposite page here as an ad Lunar and all of that. Victor Ireland lists top ten is SSX, Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal Black Ego and Clinoa too, which just not what I would have expected from Victor Ireland.
Speaker 1: Hey, I mean they're bangers. Twisted Metal Black is The rest are good.
Speaker 3: The rest are absolutely good. But page thirty six we have news of SNK shutting down, which is weird because SNK is famously still around and the subject of much controversy these days. They were, of course, there were acquisitions and all sorts of weird stuff that have happened since, but it is interesting to go black and look at you know.
Speaker 1: Here's a quote here.
Speaker 3: It says, quote it is with deepest grief that in the autumn of two thousand and one SNK will close the company history in its business. We'd like to take this as an opportunity to thank each and every one of you if you're continuous and helping assistance rendered to SNK since its incorporation in Japan and July nineteen seventy eight, s and K still around outlived pretty much every gaming mag except a game Informer here yeah, page forty where kind of passed the new section, and this kicks off a terrific, beautiful retrospective of Final Fantasy and Hero Nobu's Sokka Gucci's work, which like, honestly I would love to spend a whole episode just looking at this. These first two pages, there's a nice, you know, nice cover art there with you know, box art.
Speaker 1: Of Saka Gucci's games.
Speaker 3: And then as we move on, we have like a developer interview that's sort of editorialized with okay, you know, looking at Final Fantasy, but you know ten, the development of Fanensi ten, I suppose, but it has you know, director Yoshi no Kase, artist Tetsuya Nomura, and it just kind of looks at fan ten's development and tries to tell that story. It's it's pretty short, but it's it's full of good stuff, and the screenshots as well.
Speaker 1: Are looking really slick.
Speaker 3: So just a nicely laid out feature area looking at Fan Fantasy ten, which links into of course, this issue's big review.
Speaker 1: Pretty wild, how strong it would still be to get a sit down with you to say no more yeah about history of Final Fantasy. Yeah, now right? How relevant that would still be Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I I've done interviews with the Fun Fantasy team, but they're definitely focused on whatever game they're putting out now. Yeah, and so like, yes, you would get access for Fanoanzi ten, but getting like the ability to ask questions about the series pass and contextualizing stuff and not talking directly about like marketable Final Fantasy ten aspects would be really hard.
Speaker 1: I think I've read multiple people talk about yeah today, like if you want to talk to hear In Nobu Saka Gucci, yeah, you get one non whatever moble game he's working on. Question Chris Kohler, who is like longtime games journalists for Wired and Kotaku, like friend of retronauts, like like he has access and he's covered games for a long time and now he works for Digital Eclipse. He wrote a book for.
Speaker 3: Boss Fight Books about Final Fanci five, and like all of his Hero and Obu Saka Gucci quotes like directly Final Fancy five come from like uh interview he hosted on like on stage where he basically just like he was talking to Saka Guji about something and then just started peppering him with like specific Financi history and Financi five questions, and that was the only way he could get sak Gucci on record about these older games, because a lot of it is so kind of gate kept by pr and stuff nowadays.
Speaker 2: Man h.
Speaker 3: So you know, pretty cool little spot. And you're also getting, like with Catase and Noma, you're getting such a strong look into the people who sort of took over Final Fantasy because Sakagucci of course left not long after this when the Spirits Within crashed, And so you know, you're getting to see the people who took Fan Fantasy ten and move the series forward, which we'll get to in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Page forty four.
Speaker 3: We have the other big feature, which is their quote games of two thousand and one not top games, not best games.
Speaker 1: These are games. There are games of two thousand and one. Presumably this top ten represents a ranked hierarchical scale of the best games of the year.
Speaker 3: We have Star Wars Rogue leader for the game, Cuban number ten, Halo shockingly low at number nine, barely a game of two thousand and one, barely a game of two thousand and one, which is pretty wild. Number eight Legend Zelda, Oracle of Ages. Heck yeah, good game, better than Halo, better than probably is better. I don't love the capcom Zelda's on game Boy Color, but it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Number seven Devin Way Cry, number six, Max Pain, Number five Twisted Metal Black, which again like for me, Twisted Metal Blacks one on this list, and I'm like, I don't know if that age great at number five, not to say, you know, I don't even know if it's holds up well, but it's not, you know, Devil Way Cry, Halo, Max Pain, Like, these are games that like really kind.
Speaker 1: Of stand out in the history of this period. We have number four Grand Turismo three A spec which is a great game, one of the best of the series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, like you know, Twisted Metal Black is up against some heavy hitters. The top three Tony Hawk prosk three one and two are of my favorites, but you know three is great as well. Number two Grand Theft Auto three, one of the biggest games of all time, best sleeper game of the year, Advance Wars fabulous, pick love it. Number one Metal Your Solid two Sons of Liberty, which I like it because like Metal Your Solid two, Like you know, as we discussed in the episode it was divisive because of you know, it's big rug poll and what it did for the series and stuff. But I think it holds up really well. And I think that of all the games on this list, to me, it's the best outside of maybe maybe Halo is is number one in hindsight, but and you know with the caveat that, I'm not big on Grand Theft Auto R.
Speaker 1: Do you think of this list? Tie, Yeah, no, it's good. It's also I meant to check exactly when Vice City was released, yeah, because to me, Vice City was just the way more culturally, Like GTA three was a big hit, no question, but Vice Cities when it kind of became that was the sensation. Yeah, you know, the Miami Vice vibes, the soundtrack, Raleiota, all that stuff was like that was huge. Yeah. And then again GT three A was gigantic. I think it was even a packing game. They made a separate PS two bundle, right, yeah, GTA three and so like I'm not GTA three, Grand Turismo three A spec yeah GT three three as yeah, yeah there go, so like, don't don't look down on that as one as a huge one in history as well. But also it's very funny getting this like Oscars Vibes where it's like, oh, yes, the Best Picture of the Year was released in New York and LA on December fourteenth, and uh, you normals can go see it now in the middle of February, you know, like, okay, right, totally whatever.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: The Games of two thousand and one where all these games that came out before Christmas. Yeah, pretty pretty packed for sure, Blunder of the Year, Xbox Controller, like it's wild and even then, you know, like they were covering the Xbox launch. In this episode, after the Top ten, which is full of bangers, we have a ton of previews and ads for some like incredibly mid Games, TI Reckless, Yagger, Spider Man, the movie Air Blade. There's Yagger, Malice Cat's.
Speaker 3: Tail cat being spelled with the K tails being spelled T A L E. So like double pons.
Speaker 1: Okay, is this Jaeger like Chuck Yeger? I bet that's what it's. That's I don't even know who Chuck Yagger is. So I use a famous American test pilot. He was the first guy to break the speed of sound. Okay, I guess, so I like, which is real dumb because I was like nineteen sixty four. Yeah, oh yeah, space like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is tie in the future, just a little bit off. Chuck Yeger broke the sound barrier in nineteen forty seven in the Bell X one, which memory serves was basically a rocket with wings dropped from a glider plane and then sh yeah. Jeger flew a lot of other experimental test flights for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics MECCA, which later became NASA. He essentually promoted up to Brigadier General et cetera, et cetera. Great man of history. Chuck Yeger, yeehaw, whip crack.
Speaker 3: You kind of see how you have like you know, you would have had boomer execs kind of like drawn to stories like that, right, whereas like now twenty years later, I you know, we have all these debates about like who's this game for, why is it referencing this or that or whatever. It's like, well, because a bunch of millennials are making it in gen X are the ones that are approving it. So it's interesting to see sort of that those generational like stories persevering. We've got Command and Conquer, Renegade Blood Omen two.
Speaker 1: Finally a banger in Silent Build two Restless Dreams, but it also gets a small preview.
Speaker 3: So, like, the thing that really stands out to me is that with all the like all time classics we're released and reviewed in this period, like Halo, like Metal Gear, Solitude, like Grand Theft, Auto three, like ten, the future release schedule, at least according to this issue is like pretty pretty soft. Yeah, And I feel like we had some I feel like we had some better previews in other magazines because this is our fourth January two thousand.
Speaker 1: And two we're looking at. And I know Reckless was in Xbox Official Magazine, but they also had and here's Xbox Official Magazine, right, They had a bunch of other exclusive previews and stuff. They had the fighting game that didn't have a game part yet for the characters and vibes. They had the was It Enclave, the one with the ten ADP graphics. You know, they had like a bunch of stuff in their previews that this doesn't have. And also is Andy McNamara's noted up front of the letter from the editor, they didn't have a GameCube DevKit that could play third party games, so they weren't they don't have any GameCube coverage either, so that kind of put them way behind on some of these previews, which makes interestingly, and I'm sure it's still wasn't like hey, mega massive, gigantic Christmas season and then nothing after is not that surprising, But also it looks worse in this magazine than any of the other issues we've looked at.
Speaker 3: You sort of in that like dead zone because E three was, you know, like in that announcement period sort of in the late spring, we were starting to get into that cyclical like area where they were starting to control messaging a little bit more. I think I'd be curious and then to look at some of the Christmas issues like we'll get there later in the season, like from later in this year, like yes, what were some of the big releases this year.
Speaker 1: That weren't kind of covered here? Okay, Well, no matter how great or not the writing is in these classic game magazines, our favorite writing to read is yours. We come back from this ad break, we will read your reviews of our reviews of classic video game magazine reviews break here on fun Factor. We've got mailed. As promised, we always review the best one. Funny is kindness and most entertaining five star Apple podcast reviews on the air. Bonus points if you say who your favorite host is and why, Double bonus points if it's aiden. Of course, we also look at your YouTube comments. We try to reply as quickly as we can because we love the interaction that you guys always have great comments. Jason Wfde is always there chatting it up in the YouTube comments as well, which we super appreciate. Aidan, we have a review five stars on Apple podcast from Georgie Boys Acts. Title is a retro podcast that's different in all the right ways, magnificent. We love it for all of the gaming schmucks who rush to their local newstand or mailbox to read their beloved gaming rags. This show is for you. There is a ton of passion and a lot of expertise here from folks who are doing it for the love of the game, and one hundred x better than any slop fueled vintage post being fed to you by the algorithm. Not bad.
Speaker 3: Love it, I love it, and just shout out for Georgie and Press Pause Radio which Georgie hosts fabulous podcast looking at and covering video games. Also great streams on Twitch, and Georgie has one of the most impressive retro setups I've ever seen. I was looking at some pictures and it's like.
Speaker 1: You know, I've got a pretty good setup.
Speaker 3: I got nothing on Georgie impressive stuff. So having readers like Georgie and friends of the show like Georgie writing those reviews is like it.
Speaker 1: Honestly means the world. It makes my day and my week. So thanks so much, well, thank you so much to Georgie Boys Act. Check out Georgie's podcast again, leave rating, leave review wherever you get your media. Apple Podcasts is probably the best in terms of you know, algorithm and whatnot for us. But just talking on YouTube sharing or wherever on Twitch with aiden it streaming super cool. We appreciate all of it, and we will get back to the game and performer right here on fun Factor. We're having five stars worth of five stars out of fun today. If you are two again, please leave rating, a review wherever you get your podcast. We super appreciate it. Make sure to shout us out on social media because spreading the word hand to hand, mouth to ear is how we get ears and eyeballs on the work that we're doing. We love to do it. We want to do it for as many of you as we can. It is time to review. Game informers review of Wait, which one are we doing? Final Fantasy ten?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I was like we did the big preview walk through interview thing and that I was like, wait, this is Final Fantasy ten. Okay, Final Fantasy t review format go.
Speaker 3: Up front Gaming Former seems to use a pretty straightforward review system.
Speaker 1: There are six reviewers. They have a ten point scale, but it's actually it uses quarter marks.
Speaker 3: So like ten point two five to ten point five, so it's actually like, I think a forty point scale. Most games have a primary reviewer rating the game on that ten point scale with quarter points. Ten is Perfection, one of the best games of all time. Nine is worth owning. Eight Steve worth drop off.
Speaker 1: Steep drop off for sure, for sure, eight is worth playing, seven is worth renting, and six is limited appeal It is worth renting.
Speaker 3: I kind of like this though, I'd like being like, yeah, play this, but like, don't invest too much money into it.
Speaker 1: It's worth your time and not your money. Even below though, is just is garbage quote unquote garbage. So really it's a six point scale. Ten nine, eight, seven, six, five and below, but it has quarter.
Speaker 3: Points, so it's really like twenty four point scale. Our twenty point scale. Is it like ten with quarter points? Ten, three, six with quarter points, five and below has quarter points but they don't matter.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Math's not my thing. It's weird, it's complex. Don't do this. People don't do this. Don't do this.
Speaker 3: Games receive either a full length review, which is what we'll look at with ten, accompanied by a score, small scoreless breakout capsule comments for quote, concept, graphics, sound, playability, entertainment, and replay value, and then another scored second opinion capsule review. So in some ways, very similar to like what we were seeing in game players in the late ninety where you had a main reviewer, you had a second opinion, you had some like specific metrics, and then an overall score. The difference being there's no weighted scoring happening between the playability, entertainment, replay value stuff and the main review score. It's just one number. It's there's a lot going on here.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean cool. This is pretty standard with the bullet points and pulling out graphics, sound whatever. I like that they haven't done it into a, well, these all score, these facets all have to be scored individually, and then we have some extremely Matthew math way to pile that up into a true objective overall score, because as we've talked about a lot of times, there are some very clear examples where that is not what's actually happening. They're giving it a score and then reverse engineering. But yeah, like you say, the six point basically five star six star scale, perfection worth owning, worth playing, worth renting, limited appeal, and garbage, and then the other the whole bottom half of the scale is just for decoration. In a sense, it makes a sense that it's probably you know, the most accurate way of describing the metacritic. Yeah, Like, I all know what a ten is, we all know what a nine is, we all know what eight is, we all know what a seven is. I still think for me, the eight is worth playing. I would give any eight a worth buying, right, Like to me, like, even for doing this scale, the stop the drop off from ten is Perfection one of the best games of all time to nine is yeah, this is worth the money if you pay for it. Like that seems like a gigantic drop off to me. And I'm gonna bet that they don't stick that close to that actual scale, just like last month's Xbox Official magazine and.
Speaker 3: Like even like the way to describe a nine quote. Fans of the genre should definitely enjoy this game, but even those who don't normally like this type of game may find.
Speaker 1: Themselves getting hooked. For me, that like describes a seven. Right, Yeah, it's like it's good.
Speaker 3: Going to appeal to people who love this genre, but it's weird enough that it might appeal to people outside of that.
Speaker 1: Like, so.
Speaker 3: You know, I think they try to add a lot of words to like this numerical scale that just muddies the water.
Speaker 1: A little bit more. Yeah, yeah, let's get onto the review fouan ten.
Speaker 3: It's right here on the opposite page the cover, I guess of the review section Fanansi ten. It has the iconic key art of Titus and Una in the Pond, which is one of the like great moments in fan Fantasy ten. But even as somebody who doesn't love Fananasa ten one of the great moments I think in kind of video game narrative history. It also lists and announces the game in a month Fananzi ten says quote with an undying devotion to changing the way people perceive role playing games. Squaresoft has completely altered the status quote for rbg's in Foal Fantasy ten from spoken dialogue to combat innovations. Nothing can prepare you for the adventure ahead. Fan Fantasy ten is a landmark release in one of Square's finest.
Speaker 1: Titles to date.
Speaker 3: No byline on that, but presumably written by either whoever edits the review section or the reviewer themselves. And here we go, fo when is he ten? So we have a main review written by Ryner. It's on the left hand page. It's a full like textual review. It's pretty chunky, I'd say, probably like two hundred and fifty three hundred words, bordered by some great screenshots from the game, including cutscene stuff but also gameplay stuff.
Speaker 1: Looks really good.
Speaker 3: On the opposite page we have a lot more screenshots, some key art of Kamari, like a poll quote, and then on the far right column we have the bottom line score, which was a nine point seventy five out of ten, putting it firmly in the worth buying category, but not in the best games of all time category. And then we have the pull out like capsule section with concept so it says quote the first talkie in the series, featuring hours of spoken dialogue, realistic motion captured animation, and highly detailed CG cutscenes graphics nothing short of a visual tour to force. Sound arguably nobu Uimatsu's best soundtrack to date. It is excellent playability. The refined combat system allows players to rotate party members, level up summons, and customize weapons. Entertainment is the quest is as linear as they come, which I'm glad to see them. Like mention, yet additional story material, bonus battles, and hidden weapons can be obtained through through side quests. The replay values listed as moderately high. And then we have a second opinion.
Speaker 1: Score from Justin which is also a nine point seven five. Before we really dig into this review, though, let's put a pause on things for a second because I want to skip ahead. So this is nine point seventy five. This is almost a perfect score from game and former. Yes, I want to skip ahead to page eighty eight to look at what the opposite looks like. We have a one star review, a one out of ten review here forv oh P, released by Ubisoft on the PlayStation. Can you read this one out of ten review from Matt for me time?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Sure. If there were such a thing as game developer fraternities, i'd suspect VIP was the product of a rush week prank at the Ubisoft campus. Like the show it's based on, the game is so indescribably bad that it's almost good in its own weird way. Actually it's not. It's not. In fact, it's absolutely horrible. It looks worse than Pam's new boyfriend kid Rock after a bottle of Jack Daniels. Imagine Parapa meets Shrek fairy Tale, freaked down in high heels, and then start running. Perhaps someday you'll find the Citagarage shield for fifty cents. If you do, I'd pick it up as a cheap reminder of just how bad games can be.
Speaker 3: Vicious yikes, Parapa catching some strays? Was this a rhythm game? I barely know what VIP is. It was like a Charlie's Angel type like show with Pamela Anderson, right, I think, yeah, I assume that's why she's mentioned. I think that's her in the picture.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't really remember the show, but Parapa catch strays is like that's not fair. But in any case, yeah, I would say correct me if I'm wrong, Ti or Chat. A one out of ten is like as rare as a as a ten out of ten and maybe had probably rare.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah right, Like especially when they're like anything five or below is garbage. This a one, Yeah, Like that's terrible, Like that's bad.
Speaker 3: Like when you go to like the lowest of the low, like we have Twisted Metal Small Brawl here, it got a three? What else do we have track on the Xbox, which of course was compared favorably in one of the previous episodes we did. They were like, hey, this was all World munch Is Odyssey, and they're like, this doesn't look as good as Shrek. It got a two out of ten. Let's see if we have any other like super low scores here.
Speaker 1: We don't want to. That's more using the whole scale than yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's what I wanted wanted to look at, is like they have the scale and it's so reductive in the way that it looks at like sub five scores, but then it actually uses some of the full scale as well, which is weird, just very strange all around. It's a Soldier of Fortune Gold got a four, Stunt GP got a four, Jeremy mc grath's Supercross World got a four, Mummy Returns got two point five, So like they're using that scale under five but then lumping it all into something so like it what really is the difference between a two point five and a four?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Also a quick shout out to the podcast Behind the Bastards. All of it's great, but they're like multi part episode on the guy behind Soldier of Fortune magazine Peak. It's so good. That's very very funny. Love it.
Speaker 3: Get back to the review itself, page seventy four. Reiner is the lead reviewer on this with his textual review like taking up the first whole page, like I said, and it is pretty beefy, Like I think it's pretty solid in terms of the way that it doesn't just give a rundown of like, oh, here's how you play the game, or it's not even really like a Buyer's Guard review, which I.
Speaker 1: Like a lot. Can you read his opening statement for me kay. With each passing Final Fantasy release, Squaresoft continues to improve upon perfection, not only setting a new standard for role playing games, but for video games as a whole. Without question, Final Fantasy ten is Sakagucci's most ambitious project yet, and as a radical departure from the formula we've become accustomed to tapping into every facet of the PlayStation two architecture, the development team has completely revolutionized every aspect within the storytelling. This may sound trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it's the biggest change the series has ever made. Before we get to my thoughts on this, because I have some what's your experience with FO ten time? Yeah, played it, mostly loved it. I was terrified of the voice acting it was. It was fine, It was pretty good For those of you who don't know, I haven't done true professional video work for games, but I actually have been involved in radio, especially since I was a little kid. My mom worked in advertising, and so hey, I was a little kid who could read with inflections, so I got to do a bunch of local radio ads. I was the Gladstone's Carpet kid here in Lansing, Michigan for a while. That was pretty rad. So like, I have a little experience with that, and one of my best friends in high school growing up. Dave Beeson is actually a professional voiceover actor and coach, so like, again have a little experience with us, and so it was like, hey, this was pretty darn good. You're also involved in theater as well. Yes, so like but but my friend Dave at the time when this came out, recognized Orn's voice actor just from dialogue, like he ca like he listened. He's like, oh, that's so and so. Oh did you know he played so and so? Like what you know that's the same No, way, that's the same guy. And we like looked it up and it was he knew it, knew I was right, Oh, okay, all right, so this is this is pretty good. And I'll say I too, spent the first like ten or twelve hours of the game just okay, like but like when do I get to like the overworld, Like when do I get to like pick where I'm going? What do you when? When am I going to get you know? And it wasn't until the very end of the game where it was like, okay, cool, here's the airship.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean you still only get like nodes on our list too, Yeah, you don't get free travel. So it it was like far, Like I was like waiting for it, and then it wasn't happening, and I was really thrown by, Oh wait, this whole thing is just linear, right, It's just okay. But then it was. It was really good. The story was really good. The graphics were incredible, the music was incredible, the acting was good. And I, being a sports ball guy, loved blitz Ball. I love blitz baugh. Lots of people hated blitz ball. I love blitz Ball. It wasn't perfect by a long shot, but like, it was fun and intriguing enough that like, I really liked it, and it games like the Captain Subasa series, which was probably at least a significant piece of the inspiration for it, has evolved into today we're a lot more familiar with the idea of a sports game that's arkadie and you have like battle anime moves and you know that kind of thing. So I think if you readd sport the blitz Ball today, even as like a standalone thing, I think it could go crazy. My big problem with ten was that I'm an I don't want to say I'm a dumb dumb. I'm a little bit of a dumb dumb In that sometimes I'm you know, even when I'm reading books, I get really wrapped up emotionally in the beat to beat moments, and I can miss you know, I'm often not thinking of it structurally, and especially when I was younger, right Like I'm older, I've been more involved in like publishing and stuff and story you know, story crafting, story writing and critique and that kind of thing. So I'm a little bit better at being more analytical when I consume stories like this. But I I was really thrown by the game's ending. Some of the sign posting of what was going on. I missed and or went huh and then forgot, you know, or like filed away as like what I so that ending. I really did not find it satisfying or good at all. And also, I'll hedge this in a second. My friend Dave beat it and then said, oh yeah, you kind of there's a good ending. You kind of got the bad ending. You have the one hundred percent to get the good ending. And every time I tell that anecdote, people come jumping at me and go, oh no, no, no, no, you're wrong. You're thinking of Final Fantasy ten too, And I'm like, uh no, no, no, no, this was before ten two was released. This is when ten was brand new and we played it. I don't know where he got that idea or what. I don't know, but like I spent that was theerra right of like right, yeah apart, so like think yeah, so I was, oh, you got to like get the strategy guide one hundred percent. And I don't even know if that's true or not, because at the time I was kind of like, hey, that's blowney right like, and I was so pet I hate the idea of you got to buy the strategy guide to play the game and have a good experience. Yeah, so that made me furious. It made me not want to revisit it, which I still really haven't. Yeah, and shading into ten too, I bought ten two played through the intro sequence, which I was like, well, this was not what I was expecting at all. But you know, now that I think about it, if a bunch of teenagers saved the world, yeah, what would they do. They'd become teen celebrities, which are what pops the I mean, I guess okay, I was. I was fine with that. The next thing that happens is the all bed come up out of the ocean speaking all BED and it's untranslated and you have to go find all the Allbed dictionaries again. And that is when I rage quit, took the disc out of the PS two and never played it again and still haven't because I was just like, no, I cannot deal with strategy Guide collectith on nonsense like this being front and center over exploration and story and role playing.
Speaker 3: So ultimately, after mention like two of your three party members, one of them is just straight up all bad and the other one is like half all BED, so like you should just going to be that Yeah, yeah, you can just speak that language.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was just like yeah, Like I was like, I did this already. I did this already. I think I got like twenty four out of twenty six or something, and I first played three of ten and I was like, this is insane, this is ridiculous. I'm not doing this again. But overall, I thought ten was a fantastic push forward in a lot of ways. Presentation was incredible. I thought the story really worked, and honestly it even though I hated the ending at the time, I bet if I replayed it I would appreciate it a little bit more. Yeah, And I think even though it wasn't the story wasn't what I wanted out of the game, I think it held a lot more true character wise start to finish than something like seven or eight, right, where the characters are true to themselves, the core conflicts of the story set up at the beginning carry all the way through, in contrast to something like Chrono Cross, which would have been you know, contemporary, like a year before, two years before, where it's like, you know, Kid shows up as like, all right, we're radical dreamers and then radical Dreamers are not mentioned again the entire game, right, like that kind of stuff, where you know, this is a cohesive start to finish plot. Yeah, character a lot in this game, like they're kind of tied inextricably. Yes, And I would say that nine does it as well, but seven is like does it to a degree, right, Like Cloud and his relationships form the core of the story. But but you're, yeah, I see it. So there's there's plenty of moments in seven where you're like, I don't really understand what's going on. This is not the same Cloud that was talking two hours ago, you know, and this and like that's that itself was part of the story, but even knowing that, it still doesn't feel coherent start to finish in the same way that ten does. Yeah, totally. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've talked about FO ten a lot, and like I, as somebody with a background in like criticism, uh, specifically with books and narrative, like, I do think about the structural elements of the game a lot, and I do like the ending because of that. But I think that Fan Fansi ten, especially at its beginning, has so many structural issues that undermine what's going on that I think it's interesting that you sort of like blame blindness to structural issues as like one of the reasons you have issue with the game despite liking a lot of it, Whereas for me, I'm like, oh no, the structural issues are the reason why the game.
Speaker 1: Doesn't work very well. But in any case, I want to get back to what Ryiner said in the beginning of his review, because I think, and this is going to sound weird as somebody who doesn't really care for Fan Fancy ten, I think he's very superlative, but objectively he's pretty accurate in what he says. Fan Fantasy ten was Saku Gucci's most ambitious project. It did change the series fundamentally, and it tapped into PlayStation two's potential from like a presentation standpoint. But and this is like where I usually get myself into trouble when discussing fan fanacy ten. I think most those elements actually hurt the series long term, and I think that the series benefited from creative constraints. I think the move into like a higher fidelity virtual medium took away from sort of the emergent gameplay that we talked about earlier, where like you being in the game in the world is a big part of the story too. Hey, this is sort.
Speaker 3: Of like a linear long movie that you can play, but playing is really.
Speaker 1: Just going from cut scene to cut to scene to cut scene to cut scene, and that is what Foalancy thirteen is heavily criticized for being a hallway simulator. It's all there in Fouanci ten, though, like all the things that are I think at issue with like modern final fantasies started here with ten, and so like when Ryaner says all of those things, like yeah, it was ambitious, Like Sakagucci did always want to make movies, and this was his kind of first step towards that, but it's also when we got into this higher fidelity area that started causing series delays with future Final Fantasy games, and then Sakagucci leaving after this when he made a lot of these dramatic presentational and structural changes to the series, then left the remaining team with this idea that they had to like reinvent the wheel over and over and over again with every new game, which was not the case with Early Final Fantasy. Right like Early Final Fantasy was iterative and they'd make changes within structures that already worked.
Speaker 3: Right ATB was introduced in Final Fantasy four, and it stuck with the series through Final Fancy nine because it worked.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 3: They changed the level up or the character building mechanics within that. Foosi six changed the structure of the game, but kept ATB. FINANSI seven introduced more like linear storytelling to a degree, but you know had the material system which offered a lot of customization. You know, they were recognizable from one another, But Fantanaci ten being so different, I think created this impression that it needed to be so different to be a Final Fantasy, and I think that that comes into a weakness of the later games that have led to some of these major delays, and like, I love games that have come after Fan Fansi ten. I love fan Fansi twelve. It's fabulous. I even have a soft spot for fan Fantasy fifteen, which is very flawed. But I think that long term the series would have been better off if it hadn't felt like it had to chase Fowanzi ten, if it had recognized fan Fansi ten as like one version of Final Fantasy and that fan Fanasy can be anything else. And I think that we're also seeing the RPG scene with stuff like Claib's You're going back and looking at some of that early like not even early, but like late nineties RPG games play and being like, oh, hey, this wasn't like a compromise.
Speaker 1: This was a good piece of game design, and that's worth exploring more.
Speaker 3: It doesn't like we don't have to throw out the past to make something great for the future. And I think that all started with Famasi ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And during the Final Fantasy eight retrospective post show with Lord Drew by, very good friend of the show, one of the friendliest friends of the show. Yes, really helped me appreciate how a little bit the Squaresoft at this point saka Gucci and those you know, this started in the eighties. Here we are in two thousand and one, two thousand and two, and they've been building on what they started twenty years ago, right, fifteen years ago, yeah, and iterating on this in a lot of ways. And then then their audience has been playing too, right. So for me, like the first YARPG I played was Chrono Trigger, which in some ways is like the apex of the sixteen bit JRPG form right, So I'm just getting into this stuff, and I'm getting into this stuff as soon as the creators and mainstream audience are like, hey, it's time for something new. We're kind of bored with these formulas, right, And so like the the magicite stuff in six led to the material stuff in seven, a lot of the similar things. Right, eight, they're like, we need to totally break this.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Nine is kind of back to basics in some ways, but changes some other stuff. You know, some of these other you know, non mainline final Fantasy games. You know, Cronocrosses combat system is brilliant and a big departure, right, So they're like, how do we change this up? How do we make this more realistic, less realistic, more magic, less magic, more character action, more you know, abstract like they're trying different stuff and ten system is built into this more movie like system, right, this more like we're going in this direction of you're controlling characters and then they're doing stuff and you're seeing and it looks like a movie, right, And we're heading towards the final Fantasy seven remake series to an extent sixteen too, right, So like that's like a cool creative decision by this team, many of many core members which are still involved in either the remake series or the mainline development. So like I get that, but also, like you say, there's lots of other indies and people who grew up our age, our generation are a little above or below, going, hey, here are these forgotten evolutionary paths here, let's iterate on. Let's go back to late sixteen bit, early thirty two bit, and you know, let's build from there, not in this way. That's that's movie like an action like and you know that's valid too, right, So and let's I'm going to read a little bit from Rhynan's review here My only complaint has to do with the structure of the quest. The Final Fantasy games are traditionally linear, but this one redefines the term. You cannot backtrack until later in the game, and overworld has been completely removed. You simply move from location to location via a cursor on a map. I don't know about you, but I always enjoyed having the freedom to leisurely move about the world, perhaps on the back of a chocobo. You can't do this anymore. Every environment is completely sectioned off from the others. Sadly, you don't even get to take control of the airship. And even the last sentence of their reviews, even if you don't approve of all the changes Squaresoft has installed, I'm sure you're sure you'll agree. Final Fantasy ten is a breakthrough release, a visionary tale, and a masterpiece for the ages. And for me, like, I don't want to be like a Star Wars person, like you don't even get to take control of the airship, you know, but like that rush of yo, we got the airship, let's go, and like the music, Oh this is the airship music. Oh it's good. It's like it's a big part of the series, and it's a big part of that final fantasy, like this is the fantasy, this is the thing. Oh it's it's on. Now it's popped off. You really get the whole world at your fingertips, right, you really have you know, the world has opened up for you, you know, and you get that moment when you leave the first town. A lot of times you go into the overworld, you see the map, you're like, oh, man, like, look at all these possibilities, right, and like, even though you're moving through the world of ten, the possibilities are opening up in front of you and they're cool. You you can only think about what am I going to get shown next? Not where can I go next? Or what can I do next? And so like that's that is definitely a lessening of that sense of fantasy and adventure for me.
Speaker 3: There's like a lot less agency within the game than what you've come to expect from the series. And they tried to like compensate for the linear story by having the battle system where you can like swap characters in and out. They all have strains like walk as strong against fine enemies, you know, oron can cut through like armored enemies. But even that becomes linear because every battle enemy configuration has an optimal strategy for how to address it and like which order to bring your characters in, which skills to use that even like like because I recently played through Financi ten again like last year on the Switch, and it's like even combat boss battles are fun, but combat in the overworld becomes just as linear as the regular game. There's no agency, there's the best way to do this, and you can't take out flying enemies with anyone except Waka, so you have to bring him in.
Speaker 1: There's not like builds.
Speaker 3: And I think Final Fantasy seven and it's kind of touch on what I think you're saying the Followanzi seven remake. I think it's so successful that series because it understands like the emotional resonance that Final Fantasy has had with players, and it realizes that like not like nostalgia bait wise, but like leaving mid Guar, which has very like leaving Midguar, which is very like closed and claustrop phobic, it retain that sense of like you step out of calm in Rebirth and you get this big open field that feels endlessly explorable, and that was so compelling, and they did it in a new way with new tech. It's not a world map in the same way, but it gives you that same feeling that's so compelling. And I think that the other thing worth noting is Famac ten came out in two thousand and one. Financi seven came out in two or nineteen ninety seven, Yeah, four years. You know, Final FanTac nine came out less than a year before ten, and so when you have a condensed right release schedule like that, like that's insane, right, Yeah, yeah, sure, there's probably like from between ninety seven and two thousand and two, there was only.
Speaker 1: One year that did not have a mainline Final Fantasy release.
Speaker 3: Ninety seven had Fonantasy seven, ninety eight had no Final Fantasy eight came out in ninety nine. Nine in two thousand and ten had Follansi ten or sorry, two thousand and one had Followanci ten, two thousand and two had Final Fantasy eleven. When you have that condensed release schedule and Followanci ten comes out and does something very different Because seven eight nine on the PlayStation were very similar. They had different like character mechanics, but otherwise very very similar in structure, in gameplay.
Speaker 1: And expectations.
Speaker 3: Ten was a big change from all of that. So it was eleven, but when you get them basically every year, having something that's a little different like ten probably would have felt I would have appreciated it more if we had gotten eleven a year later and it was a regular Final Fantasy game, or even you know, in two thousand and three we had gotten a regular Final Fantasy game. But you actually had to wait at this point now five years for the next mainline single player Final Fancy, which was twelve, which was also.
Speaker 1: Very you know different. Worked for me, didn't work for a lot of people, and all of a sudden you're like, oh, I waited all this time, and this is weird and not what I expected. Right, Yeah, finan Fantasys sixteen came out three years ago, so there's already been more of a gap, you know, between Final Fantasy sixteen and now than there was between Fooanzi eight and Finz ten, and so like, you know, when you get into this release schedule, it's like, oh, we have to blow everybody's minds.
Speaker 3: We're going to like create something new. Final Fantasy reinvents itself with every with every iteration, like you don't have access to like a strong base of players. And Final Fantasy is struggling to reach younger players because it doesn't have an identity. It doesn't have kids who grew up like with it as part of the childhood because it's so long between releases, Like Fansis fifteen came out twenty sixteen, seven years after thirteen, So like every seven years, a new Final Fantasy comes out, and so a kid, a teenager might play one Final Fantasy before the age of fifteen, which is wild, right, And so then the idea that they even care that you're rebuilding the identity of the series between games is like such a fallacy.
Speaker 1: Give them something really good.
Speaker 3: It's what Dragon Quest does, right, And like Dragon Quests, I get it, it's ceiling in North America on sales is lower, but like it knows its identity and it has huge gaps between releases now, but you know what you're getting with Phonaz twelve or drag Quest twelve when it comes out in twenty twenty eight or whenever at this point. And I think that like Final Fantasy got into this period of success during the PlayStation that kind of gave it too much confidence that it could do whatever it wanted or whatever it needed to. Final Fantasy ten being so different and such a big success kind of feeding into this idea of like, oh okay, we can like you know, we have this responsibility now to reinvent ourselves and it's going to work every time. But when thirteen and fifteen and even twelve and sixteen, like, there has not been a beloved Final Fantasy since ten. You know, there there have been ones that people like uh following preven is like passionately defended by people like me, but there aren't like universally loved Final fantasies. Ten was the last one, and and ten is when they started changing up the formula every time. And so what you know, Ryan are saying that that's a straint that like this is pursuing Sakaguci's ambitions.
Speaker 1: Zacagucci left after this game.
Speaker 3: But he wraps up, and this is what I wanted to talk about too, is Ryaner wraps up his review saying even if you don't approve, and sir, I should go back and say, this is part of the reason I think this is a strong review f ten for the time because he book ends his superlative opening with like this contrast to close out the review, so quote, even if you don't approve of all the changes that Squaresoft has installed, I'm sure you'll agree that Final Fantasy ten is a break through release, a visionary tale, and a masterpiece for the ages. Again, I think this is a spot on read of the game. It changes a lot, and that does not work for a lot of people. It doesn't work for me, and I've been you know, very open about why that is on Blue Sky and on other podcasts and stuff. But it is beloved and it did introduce a lot of people to the genre, to the series as the first game. Everything that came after it, though, was has been so fuddled up that I think they just like lost momentum and they needed to recognize that, like, hey, we could do this like fast release schedule and make a lot like changes to the series on the PlayStation because our development time was you know, quite a bit shorter. But like when you're releasing games every seven years, you need a stronger identity. And I think that they missed. Squares Off missed that and miss seeing that when ten was such a big success and then they launched into an MMO.
Speaker 1: You've got to be You've got to be each you know, And well this is the trap of the Triple A five six, seven year dev cycle, yeah, which is like each new Elder Scrolls game has to be so much mind bow blowingly better than the last and better than anything else on the market, right, But like, but does it so? Like because like, what are the biggest color? It is the same game every year. Kids just play Fortnite and Rodblocks they play literally play the same game all the time.
Speaker 3: And so like the idea of having to reinvent yourself or one up yourself rather than building iteratively on it on yourself, I think it's just so such a disingenuous, like capitalist idea. I you know, I've been playing the Life Is Strange games and so I played Reunion, which came out this year, and it was sort of like the wrap up conclusion to the trilogy with Max and and Chloe, And it was kind of panned by a lot of people because it reuses so many assets from Double Exposure, which came out a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: But for me, I was like, this is good, Like reuse stuff, build stuff, and use it multiple times. Yes, Street Fighter did it right, Like they weren't redoing their backgrounds with every like new release, right, not until you got a big major release like reuse this stuff. Final Fancy seven Remake Trilogy is what it is because they keep the team around and they're leaning on the work they've already done, and so they were able to release Rebirth in like four years and it's been fabulous, right, And so you know, we look at where Final Fantasy has had a beloved sort of almost unanimously universally loved game, and that's the seven remake, right.
Speaker 3: It's not devisive the way sixteen or fifteen or thirteen were. Final Fancy fourteen is also beloved as a mainline release, but it's an MMO and it literally has done the same thing the whole time.
Speaker 1: Well actually that's I guess that's another story, but that is a story, yeah, because they did completely redo fourteen, but the successful version of fourteen is just the same thing, and it builds off what I'll was already there, and I just think we see I'm glad. Ryaner pointed out, like, hey, this game changes a lot that might not be for you, but it is going to have a big impact and that's exactly what ten did, which I think is good. Yeah, I will say I do think that there is some of that reinvention. Like you said, it was iterative from one to two, from two to three to three to four to four to five, and it was. But it's they also, you know, tried to push the envelope, tried to push boundaries, you know, in the specific areas, though in specific areas it never changed everything at once, right right, well, And I think that's also the hardware is limiting too, right where you're like, okay, the nes how many times can you go back to the well and push boundaries sns? Yeah, you go back to the well, push boundaries. Right now You're like, well, now I've got streaming video, and now I've got streaming audio, and now I've got Internet, you know, like what can I do? The possibilities become gigantic and so then and that's where the creative restraints are so important for this series exactly exactly so I think I think for me, and like you say, I mean a lot of Zelda has mastered this, you know, uh operat of Time to Majora's Mask, Breath of the Wildest Tears of the Kingdom. Nintendo has been doing this. Hey, yeah, cool, let's take these assets and now that we have the assets, let's rebuild a new game, new mechanics on top of it. So that all makes sense to me. And obviously I think you can't go me bringing up this this epic triple a dev tent pole like seven eight year time. I don't think you can do that. I don't think that's sustainable. I don't think it's possible to you know, again, because the starfield, right, you can't start eight or nine years out and go We're gonna be revolutionarily ahead of the game in every single way right now. Okay, well ten years, ten years later, it's going to catch up with you or like, stuff that you thought was unbelievably revolutionary will be old news to ten years, or some of it will say, you know, it's going to be all over the place. You can't project out that far, you can't take that long. You can't keep an audience waiting that long. And yeah, I would love if we were on Final Fantasy twenty five at this point and everybody has their favorites, you know, and it's not just okay, what's your favorite? Is is it? Six? Seven, eight or nine, yeah, you know, and then you know, if you want to get really saucy, you can say four or five, right, like you know, like your best right. Yeah. So that's where I'm saying, like it would be cool, and then each one can play towards different audiences being play with different stuff. So like I would love to live in a world where it's still more like that. Maybe that's where we're going. Yeah, and maybe fourteen, you know, And I think for us, the price of investing in fourteen because there's so many great stories and so many things in Final Fantasy lore and Final Fantasy moments that fourteen officionados are like, you guys are missing out on all the best Final Fantasy of the last decade because you haven't been playing fourteen. It's like, all right, cool, well, I just need to sink four hundred hours into it to get none of it happens in the main story quest also, which is like yeah, like yeah, yea yeah yeah. So like it's that's the thing where it's like they've siloed off a bunch of that stuff in that online world, and then like if it has a persistent younger fan base, it's in fourteen and how many of them are going and playing the mainline stuff, I don't know. So it's they're they're in an odd situation and I wish they would get to you more it or if stuffing get.
Speaker 3: And like, it's not like Square doesn't do it. Octopath is hugely successful. It doesn't sell like and I from squares perspective, it only sells a million copies or whatever, like, still huge numbers, but it doesn't sell fifteen million like Falomanzi sixteen does. And so from a you know, monetary perspective, I know, Folowanzi fifteen like hugely problematic development cycle took forever to come out, right what seven years right between thirteen and fifteen, But it also made back its costs on a first day of sales, and so like from a business perspective, that's a success for the people who hold the pursonring at Squaresoft, even if it's the wrong lesson to take. You know, we see a lot of this iterative stuff at Square, which works really well. You know, life is strange as a Square game, right like, yes, and that's my recent example of iterative sort of like game development Octopath as well, like they do it, and I think that Final Fantasy's original strength when it was like when it was at its peak, was because of iterative design, not because of reinventing itself. And now we get into this place where every Final Fantasy has its own creative team and like lead visionary. You know the guy responsible for follan Fantasy fourteen's huge success, right Yoship, He led Phone Fantsay sixteen, and it didn't do anything that fan Fancay fourteen does well. And you get into that like Star Wars sequel trilogy issue, where you have a different vision at the top for every movie or every game, and then it just never cohesive and it doesn't feel like there's a through line of like this is what makes this a Final Fantasy. And I think that's just really problematic. And it all, in my opinion, started here in Folanzi ten, and I think bryaner Like does a good job of recognizing what the game does well, but also where some of its divisive elements, like the linearity.
Speaker 1: Really come into play. Yeah, so what do we think and actually should we talk about Justin's second opinion? I think we should since it's there, you know, do review the review and then not talk about this the second opinion here. It's from Justin. I was skeptical at the thought of another Final Fantasy. I've played on the US released games and they've all rocked the house, but my enthusiasm has been waning. Silly me. That's fascinating to me that after nine, you're a viewer at a major gaming magazine, you're like, maybe they don't need to make another Final Fantasy. Yeah, like nine fell that flat for you? Wow, Okay, but I guess he said they've all rocked the house. But my enthusiasm has been waiting, Like I've seen this enough. This is kind of what I was hinting at before, too, Right, Like, if you're thirty eight, when Final Fantasy nine comes out and then they're okay, cool, here's ten, you're like, Hey, maybe I don't want another variation on this formula, right, Yeah, this could be the greatest Final Fantasy, if not RPG, of all time. For once a game in the genre has a truly unique setup, no experience, and no weapon stats may seem sacriligious at first, but f F ten's sphere good and weapon customization put them to shame. Storytelling is vastly improved with the wealth of speech past, tense voiceovers, and shockingly superb cut scenes. However, things were a bit too linear. With apologies to DA three, I must say f F ten has some of the hottest women in video games. Parenthetically pathetic, but it must be said close for emphesis. Unlike writer, I find it refreshing that Titus is not the typical hero. It makes them that much more real. No other game will bring role playing to the masses like Final Fantasy ten pick it up, whoever you are justin also nine point seventy five. I it just kind of stupidly endearing to me. It's like, look, I know this is pathetic for me to say, I have to say it anyway. He calls himself out on it, like and so, but but overall like yeah, cool, Like hey, this totally blew away the old formula and I love that. Ye's great and so like, okay, that that's cool. But the thing is here, the other No other game will bring role playing to the masses like Final Fantasy X. But this is something that's been itching in the back of my mind. Like part of the problem with the linearity is you this is the least role playing that you get to do. You're not tightest. Titus is tightest because he's talking and there's his voice. You're not Waka, you're not Lulu, You're you're not any of these characters because they're all talking, right, and you're watching it, so the role playing, and you don't get as many choices to like how are you playing these characters? Right, and some of the things that people talk about with like Red Dead two, where you're like, yeah, cool, I have this unbelievable amount of agency and freedom and nonlinearity and I can do whatever, and then I get in a cut scene, Oh and here's some guy who is not acting or talking or making choices like I've been making.
Speaker 3: As aresp my criticism GTA four, right, Like that's what I had to do. I didn't have agency in the world because I had to play through missions in a certain way that didn't match what I thought the character should be. Yes, And I think, like the thing that frustrates me about especially like Justin's second opinion, but also in Reiner's review as well, is they keep criticizing it for being linear narratively and structurally, but then like Justin's like Glazing the Sphere Grid, which is super linear, right, Like and weapon customization is like pretty simple, it's not. Yeah, like Fonanzi nine had the same thing where you kind of like it's not the same aim, but you like combine weapons and items to like make new items. But like weapon customization in ten doesn't really have a huge impact. And then the sphere Gorid is linear until you get into there's the international edition that creates nonlinear sphere grid, so everybody's like Camari. They start at the middle and you could make Titus of Black Mage and you could make or On like a White Mage and stuff like that, which is cool, but that's not.
Speaker 1: The game they're reviewing here.
Speaker 3: The same thing happened with twelve that it had the license board and it was quite linear in the original release, and then the international release had like nonlinear almost like a job system, and it got way better.
Speaker 1: So like you can't say.
Speaker 3: The stories to linear, but I love the sphere grid when the sphere grid is essentially super linear too until the very end, when you can like hop around and customize a little bit, or you build super inefficiently and try to get your characters into like different classes early, but like that's just gonna hobble you in the game, you're not. You can't really do that. It's not realistic, and so like you can't have both. You can't say it's too linear in the story, but then kind of glaze a system that of character building that's just as linear as anything else.
Speaker 1: All right, should we review it? Let's do it. What do you think, Ty? What do you give? Reiner and Justin's review of Final Fantasy X. Yeah, we'll got a two page spread, eases up the whole two pages, A bunch of great screenshots, and it's kind of a mix of like iconic moments. I think they're well framed and well cropped, well selected. Right, you get a taste of most of the characters, some of the big monster design is super super cool. And then the text is not a ton of text, but it's really well written. It covers all the bases, and I think it properly frames the game in the history of the franchise and acknowledges what people might want in the expectations, acknowledges where it varies from that, and then goes hey, like, but whether this is to your taste or is not, it's undeniably just an incredible achievement in terms of development and production and putting the money on the screen, right, And I think that's right. And the second opinion, like, I agree with it less in terms of oh do I think it's it's in line with my taste, but it is I think it all it's a more emotional and more it's a useful second opinion, right, because it's it's probably less thoughtful, more emotional and I think reflective of what a lot of more casual and I'm trying I'm literally not using that as a derogatory term, but like what it's like, this brings role playing to the masses. You know, if you weren't already on board or you're younger, and you're like, what's Final Fantasy about? Right, Like a Final Fantasy seven broke RPGs out to the masses. Final Fantasy ten was just simply a mega triple A game with all of the anticipation and then bam, it blasted everything out of the water. So it's like, you know, nine, I love nine. It may be my favorite of the series, but also it slow rolls you at the beginning. You know you're not getting the big gosh, wow, oh man, I'm playing the hottest PlayStation two game. Of the year, you know, like and ten does ten gives you? This is a Triple A game, This is a major revolutionary title. It's doing things nothing's ever done. Yeah, and you're gonna be like Jah on the floor the whole time, even if you don't like digging into systems and numbers, and you don't enjoy wandering around on a map, and you don't get that same rush of role playing and fantasy that that nerds like, every person who likes video games will like this for the most part. Yeah, So I'm gonna give this review. We've been scoring high lately, we have. Yeah, And I think this is partly partly due to how magazines have grown up since nineteen ninety five. We're in two thousand and two. Right, there's a lot less you know, amateurist writing. There's a lot less you know, one reviewer going off on a tangent. Especially for Triple A releases like this, We're getting a lot more panels, We're getting a lot more thoughtful and a lot more considered. And also these magazines are also explicitly or not more behold in two corporate interests.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, there's more money in the magazines. There's more advertising in the magazines. There are either official ties or unofficial ties to the retail sales of the game, and they're more a part of the pr apparatus than they were in nineteen ninety five. Right, So, like there's a certain minimum standard that's got to be held, and this holds it. So I'm probably gonna give this eight point seventy five blitz balls out of ten, eight points seven five bliss balls out of ten. I think I think I'm coming in just a little bit lower than you, admitting.
Speaker 3: Though that that's because of also like subjective reasons for that. I think that I like that Ryaner recognizes some of the changes that have been you know, that in hindsight, were negatives for the series. But I do think that he did so in a way that recognized, you know, also with hindsight, the impact that this game would have on players and new players. Like I recognize that I'm the outlier in my opinion here, but I also you know, I feel like, without necessarily, I feel like, without necessarily questioning why the game needed to change its formula so much and how and why that might have been to appeal to casual users, I would have liked to have seen maybe a little bit more of like hey why did they do this? Not just like a value witch of like hey this changed a lot and.
Speaker 1: It's really cool. But it's all very subjective. I get that.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna come in I think a little bit lower than you just with a straight eight out of eight blitz balls out of ten, I think, I'll be honest. Justin's like second opinion brings it probably down a little bit because I think there's just some contradictory stuff in there. I think Ryaner is a little more spot on, and like I said, I agree with him, especially objectively, even.
Speaker 1: If not subjectively in how he shared the game. Yeah. Sure, and I would like it'd be cool if we had a little more text also for some of these, especially for a cover review. Yeah, we've seen other magazines at this time are giving three pages. Yeah you know, or there's no strategy your tips, which again.
Speaker 3: Is sorry, there is strategy though, and so like if we continue on, there's a huge strategy guide.
Speaker 1: Oh oh okay, okay, right, so like like a that makes sense, yeah, going through like basically the whole game as well. Geez, so like Gigantic and that's where that access comes from like I'm not even saying I like I don't even say I like that. That's not even necessarily a positive for me, but it is something I was just noting, Like, yeah, if you're doing a cover review, other magazines at this point are giving even more than a two page spread, and they are going through page that they used for just key RT Oh it's just the Heart and the Month Game of the Month award.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so and like just I think that what's interesting too is, like I talk about context and wanting to understand context here. They did do that feature on the game with the hero and Obuzaka Gucci stuff with the development team interview, but they just didn't like link it all together. And that probably comes back to the fact that, like at the end of the day, Game Informer was trying to sell video games, right their parent company one of them to sell video games. I don't think the staff writers weren't necessarily doing that, but that was all the purpose was not necessarily to provide like high level cultural criticism.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean by this era, that's probably changed a little bit or is changing, right, but it's yeah, it's something that's always in the back of your mind. Yeah, totally all right. That is our review of Game Informers review of Final Fantasy ten. Did we get it right? Leave a review review, Leave our review a review at Apple Podcasts, posted as a comment on YouTube, and we will read the best ones on air. Hey, go ahead and pass the show around to all your friends. Look, it's third grade and we're on the playground. Shout us out on blue Sky at Funfactor pod dot com, everywhere else at fun Factor Pod Special. Thanks as always to Millennium Felk for all our amazing original music. Check out his work and it's incredible Windows ninety five website at Millennium fa lck dot com. Unlike these old magazines, you won't have to wait a whole month for your next installment. We drop new episodes every two weeks, So go to Funfactor pod dot com to follow our your podcastch er choice, Please consider becoming a member of fun Factor Ultra, our premium tiers that unlock ad free episodes, bonus episodes, and members only channel of our discord where we dropped the super secret links to live recording sessions of these episodes. Just like our friends joined us today in check and members talking with us, adding comments and we, you know, mix it up on air, which is super cool. We'll just go to fun Factor pod dot com. I promise we'll not miss the sign up with you on our whole page. If you do, you and we will have a maximum score in fun Factor.
Speaker 4: Well I went to the wrong magazine. What happened? That wasn't that wasn't helpful? Oh my gosh, one second, no, it just crashed.
Speaker 1: Oh dear. Every like reader has its own like problem especial quicks, specially delightful exactly. Uh So, like this one that I use is called yak Reader. It's fabulous, except it will let me change magazines like I don't want to like if I'm in the middle of a magazine in the reader, like I don't want to go to the previous issue. Guys like yeah, the last one I tried. It'll scroll to the next one in your collection. Yeah, because it's built for comic book like the actual comic reader format, right, yeah, And so it's like scrolling is if I quick like zip the scroll wheel, which I like to use on my track, and it just zips past the last patient onto the next essue like whoaha, no, no, no, no, no, no, back back back back back, back, back back back. Uh. And that's the same. This yak reader is fabulous, it's so good. Uh, but it is also made for manga and comics, not magazines. And so yeah, like, so we I did it again? Stop doing that okay. Ah, it's like when I click on the edges, I try to turn that off to Okay, I will stop using my mouse for to share this, Okay, at least it's not crashing my.
Speaker 3: Riverside stream like last time. Okay, so screen share, yes, and then I will just so ty, you will have to remove my my clickies. I gotta I've got a clickie keyboard, but I'll try to click.
Speaker 1: And then talk. Cool. Okay, there we go, it's back. Hey hey, okay, so click in the middle. So where were we? Uh some metroid art that's not very metroidy ah yeah, some more and I don't recognize and.
Speaker 3: Uh, next up is the review, so we're done with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we actually do. I'll do a throw. We actually do have a review to read, so, uh I can I can throw to break and then we can do the read the review. Yeah, sure, like an Apple podcast review of us? Oh nice? Okay, cool?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Cool? I think I think ten for me. Sure. With each fiddlesticks, I was reading it from your script at first. Then I wanted to make sure because there's yeah, there's a missing and improve. It just improved, and I was like, hold on, is that. Oh yeah. I did try to go through and clean it up because it was kind of worries, and then I went ahead and like, okay, now I tried to blow it up in the reader and I a screw myself. Okay,