Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello everyone, thank you all for joining us. As always, just let me start some follow up with some questions and have some comments. Rabbi Ari Yankin, I showed you we saw that video of this guy, this non Jewish guy. He comes into a house, Hasidic house and he videos the shop is meals and I was wondering about this, and Rabbi Incin emails me that that it's now this sort of thing is becoming it's a weak hit there, but it's becoming more normative. And he called my attention to something called the Pisca chewvos, which really doesn't talk about that per se as a head there. It talks about if the non jew does it on it seems to be on his own, and if he wants to sell it to the Jews and that's why he's doing it, is that permissible it's malocus, but actually bring him in. But on the other hand, of course, if you have it set up and you don't, you don't actually invite the non Jew in like let's say it's automatic. We have to ask ourself. What's the isser maybe if it's being done automatically, but in terms of it becoming popular ink and who if you don't know him, you can hook him up. He's written some very nice alaka works. He says, they do it in Uman so lo and behold, I look up. I go on the internet and I'm trying to find uh videos of Uman, and first I find this, and this is reason enough why not to go to Uman? Now perhaps in a description of why you should go to Uman from Breslov dot Org, it explains, I'll just read it to you the last paragraph. You can read the whole thing if you want.
Speaker 3: Oops.
Speaker 2: The rebbe felt now the Rebby's Rebnachmann that it's the most important thing to be with him in Russias Shana, as Ashem gifted him to understand the essence of Russiashana as no one else did. He said that he can fix things for people on Russia Shana that no one else can. So Rebnachmann can fix things. And then it says, in that case, even if one feels that the Davi and Uman won't be as good for him or the amenity stink or the people or the travel and discomfort will be challenging for him. He is still best off spending the holiday with the rebbe because the rebbe will make sure to help him take care of what he needs to do with us, what he needs to do with Ushem for the new year. So in other words, you go there and the rebby will make sure with God that everything's okay. Now that's I guess what you call do recheljamesing. But okay, if you're going to go to Uman, this is a video took place. Notice they say video by non Jew, but they hire the nan ju to take this video. And here you go. So there you go. You got uh And I told you the other Hasidic groups have done this. So I can't say whether this is going to become normative, but it's definitely uh strange and uh. Like I said, you people can do their bar mitzvas, then automatically they can set it up. Some people email me about the philosophy of the Rombam. I want to call your attention to something which isn't total in motion, but hold on where it is about. I don't know what here it was. I think it was two thousand and six. There is something in Canada called KATSTV, some television there, and they decided to do a whole thirty teen parts series on the ram Bomb on his thirteen principles, one show about each principle. And it's a bit of a strange thing because they combine it with like a game that these young people are playing. But they who they interview on it myself. They spent hours and hours at my house because we have to go through all thirteen principles. They interviewed. It's from Toronto. They interviewed Rabbi. See some of the videos I uploaded these all to this thing in Toronto used to be called Kosher Tube and then I guess that closed down and Kosher Tube put it on YouTube. But the audio was perfect. The video is not always so Rebbi. It's not Bridowitz, who I don't know, but very good you have Rabbi. Unfortunately, Rebbi lape Tropper, he had a bit of a scandal after this David Novak show him Karmi. I heched from Toronto and I think, oh and Mayor Schiller, and I have to say, if anyone's interested, it's only there about forty minutes long, twenty minutes long each one and if you cut out the game at the beginning of the end, there each fifteen minutes. And what I find really interesting in this it's called CRADO thirteen, is even though you have let's say Donovaka myself are the academics, I guess Krame's in the middle, and then you have the rabbis, with the exception of Trapper, we all say basically the same thing. So I think it's a very good example of where the both the academics and the traditionalists. And I do have to say I've never met him, but Rebby bridowit's from Toronto. He comes across very very insightful. So anyone's interested, very nice. Two more things I want to show you. I want one more thing I want to show you, and then I want to read you something and then we'll be back to where we are. I showed you ask class. I couldn't find it. I wanted to show you one more video. But before I do that, I was showing you these videos of the schools and someone mentioned Ravvadia permits if it's not live music, and I sort of agreed, but it's not really true. I misspoke. In fact, it's the response that we saw earlier on in the book from his son, where originally Revavadia said it's a problem if you know what the woman looks like, but then he retracted and said, that's not a problem. The problem is only if you've seen her live. But the Sun says, and it doesn't matter whether it's Shirahaya or Bahakata, because look, let's be realistic. If you're watching a video, that's the same thing. So Revvadia does not permit to watching, you know, the live live shows. So I showed you some of these things, the one I was looking for. Just I'll show you quickly here and I'll stop it. I don't need to show you any more of this. But this takes place, like I said, at one of the Yeshiva High school. Okay, so because someone said they didn't see boys and girls together. Now, after the class, I was thinking, this is my alma mater, JAYC. And I'm thinking that a lot of these schools would have no problem with these events. But I know, having gone to this school, this isn't the sort of thing jac and certainly the school in Waterbury. So what's going on here? So I spoke to my son, who is one of the organizers and just so cool, we have a Claire. This is a different sort of event, although it's host to that one of the Yeshivas and others were none of the students, even though they're organized and all the parents come in and they have a whole program and they list them by school. It's not like a basketball game where you're in a league and JAYC or Frish has a team has a school. These are students from the schools, so it's not an official entry, let's say, from jay Z or from the other schools. So in that sense, it's a little less radical because you can't really say that all these schools are giving their impromator and maybe some of the schools, if their kids won, they might not even advertise it. So you're gonna say, so, why don't they shut it down? What are you gonna do? You know, you're gonna make a big deal about it. You're gonna tell the students they can't go. Yeah, if it was a more eighty school, I guess. But so it's a big event, but these are not official entries from the schools. Now, one of you emailed me, so what do I think about it? You know, my son's in it. I told you last class. I'm not crazy about it because I think they should do Jewish music. The girls singing, they have their postgame, they have their whole lot of justifications. I'm not talking about that. I think the real issue is that, you know, well, the singing, the Najewish music getting so into it. That's a culture that's really not our culture. And uh it's uh, but it's an ever ending thing. In the fifties, parents didn't like the music that the kids listened to. Sports is a bigger problem. The kids get all crazy about these sports things. It's a never ending issue. That's the issue. In the modern nor Thoughts world. The Charadim have their own issues. But what are you gonna do. I'm not I'm not the principal. Uh. So there you go. Years ago, young Israels, you used to actually have dances for the young people because they wanted them to have some of you. Probably your parents might maybe might have met that Young Israel dances. I know someone who told me that his parents met at a Young Israel dance. Uh. The idea was that you keep them from going to the clubs and meeting non Jews or irreligious Jews. So uh, that's that's part of our history. And finally I want to read you something from our friend or tomat hochmerbar lebu He. Then it takes us back just one final comment about the issue with the co Zenberger Rebby, and he says as follows, and this would be the last thing we do. While listening in class thirty five to your comparison of the Kouisenberger Rebbe to Pharakhan, I never compared them, but I instinctively felt that there was a difference, but couldn't verbalize it. From your comment in the last class, I realized that others were disturbed by it, and you were aware of that, but nevertheless you still couldn't verbalize what it was. It struck me later what it was. And he's trying to say the difference. He goes if someone teaches and preaches hatred, before condemning the person, we must ask if there is a positive purpose to it and if it can cause harm for anyone, And then he goes on to explain that the difference is the Kousenberger red was atzodig. I never said otherwise, and that the reason for preaching hatred is because he wanted to separate Jews from the non Jews, so Jews wouldn't look to the non Jewics world and be attracted to it, and nothing ever would come from it in terms of Jews harming non Jews. And then he goes on to say this isn't true when dealing with Pharikhan and Sharpton, et cetera, et cetera. So I accept that, after all, I never compared them. All I said was that I understand why in the black community, when they see certain good things said by Phara, can they it's hard for them to condemn. And I said, we also have issues like that. I never was comparing them. And you know, if they feel that certain figures teach them Black pride a good message, et cetera, I wish they'd condemn them. But I'm saying I understand why it's harder. Perhaps, of course I'll repeat what I said. It's a terrybook enough to hatred and you can get the same message otherwise. But I understand and and and then he goes on to say that Sharpton, you know, he encouraged the Crown Heights riots and all that. Believe me, I know well about the Crown Heights riots. If anyone wants to read about them, you can read this book, the only book written about it, by Edward Shapiro, none other than my father. Unfortunately, if you look, you can't get it anymore. We have some copies if anyone wants it. I think I have some copies. We might be sent to you. But it's it's it's a rare book now, but you can certainly buy it. You can get it from your local library, and you can read all about the Crown Heights riots, which those of us in New York area live through them. So when you know when you can make in comparison. And it doesn't mean that any of these rabbis are the equivalent of those maneuvolume. It's just that I was trying to set this, you know, put up that we also have a problem sometimes that we feel loyalty to people. Even your local rabbi might say something inappropriate, you feel loyal to them. So it's not so simple. Everyone says, condemn condemned. Life is more complicated. Okay, everyone, let us pick up. We're deep into the rom bamb although we'll be done with him in a few minutes. As far as these classes go, of course, we hope that you have a lifetime of learning. We spoke of some interesting things last class. It's funny I just saw a Rabbi Masus. In his weekly Torstoot number one ninety nine, he also deals with this idea of that the tora is on different levels. He discusses this section eighteen, why the tora says eye and takatai and why does it say an eye for an eye? Why not just say monetary things? And he says that this way when children are growing up, when they learn it and they hear an eye for an eye, it actually stays with them. And if you told them money, momone, it wouldn't have such an effect. And really, I think he might be right. We instinctivating eye for an eye, But then we have to think, well, actually it's a mumone. But the impression of the words eye for an eye stay with us. Maybe maybe that's a reason or not. We were speaking about the rumbam and views of anthropomorphism. Let me show you this. The language in the rumbam, the iva godolin. The tovi me menu that greater and better than the rumbam. I said, it comes from Tanach and I found it. It's whereas this here in First Kings chapter two. It's in Pasaglama bays. This is where the phrase comes from, Sadiki Vitovi Menu. So the arrival uses the word gadolivetovin Menu. I mentioned that you are sa but not just. I also found it's in the canessas Nola. They say Gudolin Vetovimi. Men who you know had this idea that God is a physical form, naming Godoli Vetovin from us we had people not that greater than a rumbam. But that's not the shot I do want to Oh, and I quoted the riaz As of trony As, also saying that some sages of the Talmud, he thinks even thought that I mistakenly said Isaiah of Tronni the elder. Actually riaz is the younger. There's two of them. But I want to show you something because it's a sponsor last week by the Zolsbachs. I want to show you something from Amsterdam. Before I get to that, let me show you something else. This idea that God doesn't have a physical form, believe it or not, we have a number of images of God as a physical form, not that people anyone believed God had a physical form, and let's say in the sixteenth century, seventeenth or eighteenth. But strangely enough, from our perspective, you have people who portrayed God as a physical form in books and other things. So here's a safer. It's called Oh, this is the Tour Augsburg fifteen forty. Look at the bottom of the safer. Here. If you look on the left side, that is that's God, and it's the creation of the world. And you look on the right side, that is God creating Adam and Eve. Now this is a non Jewish image. This is a non Jewish plate. I know it's a non Jewish plate for the simple reason is that the Jews. Jews read right to left. If you look at this, it's left to right.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The first scene is on the left, creation of the world. Then comes creation of Adam and Eve. No Jewish Jewish artists whatever do left to right, they do right to left. But this is a Jewish publisher and they chose to use this on the title page. Here's another book sixteen ninety eight. Here binga mean this title page has been reprinted in a number astarum. If you go to the lower right hand corner and I enlarge it it's easier to see here it is. It's it's Jacob's dreams, supposed to be an ancient, ancient Canaan Kanan, but in the background it looks more like seventeenth century Germany. But here you have the angel on the ladder. Remember the angels are coming, going up and coming down, and lookas at the top of the ladder none other than God. And if there's another example, I give in my book. But the reason I mentioned is because I want to show you something from Amsterdam. This is in the Jewish cemetery in Amsterdam, one of the Jewish cemeteries. And what you have here, I can't click on it if i'm large, and it doesn't really end large. This is an image. His name was Samuel. So the image on the Schmuel, the image on the tombstone is God. Remember when God appeared to Schmuel and Shiloh I spoke to him. That's what the image is here and there where my cursor is over, that is an image of God. And this is actually a grief in image. And the other thing's just pictures. I don't know if they're actually us, sir, But this should be us, sir, it's a graven image of God, unless maybe you assume that it's only if you think God has an image, you can't make an image of them. But this is in the cemetery in Amsterdam that does. They have this image here, very very strange. So we do have examples. We have a Katubas and others where people really portrayed God in a physical form, which the rumbump would be outraged by.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 2: Now, the last thing we were doing, I introduced you to this idea of e kharim. Principle of principles of faith? Can they be decided by major rule? Can you change your mind? Can principles of faith change? Let me show you something else here, something which the rombomb would never agree with. And it's very here. Here's a this is a bad book. Actually it's called you tesk a slave and right that this is right at the beginning of the book. Well actually no, page fifty four, he says, before the time of the rombamb it was not cathedra, it was not heresy to think that God had a form. Low kamla Achras, who's mazo? He steered after he says, no, not anymore and after it was explained by the Rambum and others that God doesn't, then it's then it's heresy. And then he goes on to say, just like, well, Hasidus used to be okay to say that Hasidus is not part of the terb, but today you can't. But the ram Bomb is the first one to say that this is absolute nonsense. It never was permissible to think God had a physical form. Mob. But that's uh, there's there's this idea that the the mugget of it says that when the Rumbam said God doesn't have a physical form, and all sorts of great stages were sent to gehet them, and when the Rivad came and said that godoli Vetovian men who they didn't know any better than the pearly gates than the doors of heaven of hell were opened, and the uh no, no, actually he says. I think he says the Sadinkan were in heaven were removed from heaven, and then that's what he says. Uh. And then when the Rivad gave his criticism, the pearly gates were open and they were pushed back in again. But uh, that this is not the ram Bum's conception and as I said, for the rum bomb, dog was eternal. And then I said that even his opponents, the way they refute the rom Bam is they they give examples from tonight Ramaram Wu disagree with him. And if you find it, I'm over who disagrees with the what the raalm Mom says? That means that the Rombum's incorrect. They don't say, well, it used to be acceptable and now it's not.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I spoke about the rs isiaf Troni that he uses this uh as well. Nevertheless, we do find examples if you look through the writings, especially in a hero name, of where they do decide dogma in a fashion which I think would have been incomprehensible to the medievals. The most famous examples were Moha Sofa, the Hustom sofa. He discusses an interesting passage and my second son Hedrin, Son Hedrin, you have paraphelic. There's a Rabbi Hilo. Now don't be confused. There is Hillo with SHAMAI and then there's a Rabbi Hilo. We don't know who this Rabbi hill was, if he's a tana or an a mora Orbach thinks he's an a mora. Others think he's a tana. The early stages, we say God old me raban Shimo. They didn't need the titles. The most Urbain knows of the title. So hill and Sham I don't need a title. Rabbi Hillo is someone else. No titles are interesting, I think Toronto. I know they're big beane Akiva people. We never grow up in a pekiva, so they're gonna be upset with me. But I like bin Akiva. I send my kids there even though I have a growing up. But there's something which really has always bothered me. They call themselves Beniya Kiva. Who's a kiva? Kiva's and amarritz Kive us a nobody, he's not an exemplar. Then he goes away to Yeshiva and he comes back after many years and he's Rabbi Akiva. We look to Rabbi Akiva. It should be been a Rabbi Akiva. We don't want to be ben a Akiva Kiva, like I said, was we don't want to be. The whole story is to show you that Akiva before he went to Achieva, wasn't nobody Now he's a somebody and uh so, uh why they call up in a akiva? Said a rabbi Akiva. I've always had a problem with that. But Robbie Hillo in the Kamara says an amazing statement, there is no Mashiah for for Jews because all the promises we're all using Jaesus with Skio. So here you have one of the m Rhyme or maybe Atana saying there's no mashia and he's criticized. There another Amoa or Atana says to him, you know, gotcha forgive you for saying it. But he says it, and he's given the title and he's not thrown out or anything at least it seems uh according to so then how how can you say that, uh, this is a heredic? How could he have this position? Well, the this is already discussed by Radiose Falbo, Ravelce Falbo and the Sefrey car and discussed Verhilla's position. Look, if is a dogma, how can Rabbi Hillell say this and go against the dogma inards? He doesn't say that it used to be not a dogma, now it is. He gives two uh explanations. First, revios Albo says, it's not a principle of faith. It's a true idea, but it's not an e car. That if you deny it your heretic. Then he gives another reason, which we've heard already. He says that it is an e car. But if you make a mistake unintentionally based upon your authentic reading of Torah, you're not regarded as a heretic. So Rabbi Hillo, according to the second reading, what he said is heresy, but he's not a heretic because it's unintentional. And we already saw that. That's a major idea. In revioce Albo that this idea of unintentional heresy. But Hustom Sulver is completely different approach. He says that no known here doesn't accept either of those approaches. He says that off Hillo advanced his opinion before the matter was decided. Hellically, in the days of a Hillo, you could adopt both positions. Later, however, the decision ruling was made. It's not clear when this is, but I guess by the time of the Amraic period that machiach is a dogma and therefore to subsequently believe it is heretical, and it is a dogma, but it wasn't yet a dogma in the days of a Hillo, and therefore of Hillo was permitted to have this approach. This is the exact opposite of what I said the rumbums approaches. And the hustom Soffer compares this to the Talmud speaks about how in certain areas you could do one thing on shoppas you couldn't do another area. Or for example, I can give my own example. He doesn't mention this, but in the days of the Tanaim you could eat in certain places you could eat let's say, chicken and milk. It hadn't yet been formulated as an absolute rule binding everyone. Uh. And that's what the Hussm Solfur says that until the binding decision, the dogmas were flexible and you could adopt different opinions. But once there was an authoritative ruling, then it became there's everyone must fall in line. Now, such a position is not concerned with eternal truths. It assumes that the rabbis determine what the obligatory beliefs are. And I already mentioned some of the problems with this. That that means that yesterday it could be a dogma, and tomorrow you could have a different dogma. Of course, the hustom Sulfur makes it like any other Horoic dispute, but it's it's different in the sense thattes are about practice. The example is the hustom Solfur brings how there was a dispute and now there's no dispute. You can still think that you're right. You just have to follow the majority of the sages in practice. But here we're speaking about it just a matter of thought. So if you if a Hillo used used to think that machiach there's no machia, and now they say, well, you have to believe otherwise, then you're it's really not parallel to La because you're telling you you can't even think he's correct, and it does create difficulties. The rombum i can't imagine a ram I'm ever agreeing with this, Well, he doesn't. The Rombam says explicitly that when something's been demonstrated, doesn't matter how many people, if you look can guide to fifteen, how many people you know come to agree with you, And he says it's correctness will not be weakened if everyone disagreed. That's what the Rombum says. He says, if you have the truth, the fact that everyone disagrees won't change that. In fact, that's the whole idea of mysel As Rayos. If you have the truth, even if the sun Hedron says something, if the sen Hendron's wrong, the sun Heedron's wrong. Also the custom Choffer's position would uh would put you in a situation that you can be obliged to believe something that's not true, because if the majority of the stage is, for example, were to decide that got in a physical form, you're supposed to assume that it's We understand that in Halaha you have to listen to the sages, but no one assumes that that's true necessarily with a capital T. That's the lesson of the Oven of Nachnei story. If you remember the Oven of Achnai story, which God himself calls out as it were, that that rebby Lazer's right and Rebiashua says Veba shamayam he and the idea is that Ramusha finds to take ok Degrasmosha in the introduction he explains, is that we try to the best of our ability to find out what the halaha is. But the tour has been given to humans to come up with the solutions. It could be caught by shamayah. This isn't what the original intent is. But that's what Kutisborach who wants us to do to it's given to us. We don't have a pope who uh you know, if we have a prophet who gets a message. The Rambam says, if prophet comes to you and says the lahas as follows, because I got a prophecy, we don't pay attention, So it's a it's the Hustomer Suffers's position is not really in line uh with the Rambamb position. That's what I would say. There are earlier sources, however, that agree with the husbinsoft For on non dogmatic matter issues. I said this in my article that is on just general ideological logical issues deciding one way or another, because but then you're not dealing with dogma. You're just dealing with basically how you should instruct people to live, how you instruct people to believe things like that, But it's not dogma. But the Husban Softfer's position has become quite popular and it gets to the old question is there a suck in matters and non a locked matters? And the more you move to the right, the more you find people who want to have all sorts of suck teing on all sorts of areas. And yet you will find out you find again and again people also on the right wing will say things like costa show and to say that this is not true, you can't be accepted because the rabba meld it. For example, Rabbis has a piece about divine providence the rambam and not just the rhmbam. Many of every shown him, hell, there's no divine providence on let's say, animals. It's just like a general providence, not individual providence. That's a rama's position. But the Baal Shamptov held otherwise, and many people say that today you have to believe that there's divine providence on everything. And so Mazus has a piece where he says, well, how can you say that the rambamba disagrees, you can't throw the ramam out, to which I guess you could reply, who says you can't throw the rambam out? If the majority of the sages today say that we have a different opinion, then you can throw the Rambam out. But if you look at people like grab Mazous or Fisher, all the people deal with Makshova. They assume that some people the Rmbam d Ramban, they're so great that by definition, if the Ramban says something, if the Rumbam says something, it doesn't matter. You can have all the sages in the world today saying otherwise, we can't get rid of the rhmbamb. The Rahmbam by definition, his views remain valid. That doesn't mean they're correct views. That doesn't mean that we should teach these views. But if anyone holds them, is the views, you can't say that he's a heretic or out of the fold for holding it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's seems to me that so who gets that who gets put on that pedestal, Not the raw Bog, the Rambamb, the Ramban, the major major figures. But I see that according to the Hosmo sofa in theory, at least you should be able to push the rom bomb out also if the majority. Okay, very good hot Com Simon game on. Now we're on Simon Kola mcdalod. We're on to eighty nine, So we have about eighty pages left and now we're going into the letters. We have a bunch of letters to Rabbi Mazous and then we hit some new figures. Let's show you a couple other things about Rabbi Mazou's let's see get rid of this. I where is it here? Okay? So I'm mention the other day his uh when he starts to share, which they do now in his house they play Arabic music, but it wasn't shown. I saw on the uh. The sound was an audien to see the screen. So this if you're looking for a community that still tries to observe their old Tunisian ways. So this is the sort of music we play for you. There's a whole tradition of Arabic music peo team with the Arabic tunes. Now the Yeshiva there on Mazou's runs is called kise Rachamme, which if you can't count all the branches would be the largest Sparti Yeshiva probably five or six branches. And they have every year peo team, that is, if you have every every year, they have a big thing called a hilula in memory of his father who was killed r Mazus and Tunis in nineteen seventy one, I believe by a Palestinian tears. And it's at the huge place in Tel Aviv. They get about seven thousand people. It's the largest event of its sort. This year they couldn't have it, so they had it on zoom. You had rabbis there speaking, but they had entertainment. So just to give you a sense of how it's different, and for example, a regular ashkenazak Alradioeshiva, I'm going to show you a few things they said. By the way, there were hundreds of thousands of people watching it. Perhaps for what I'll show you what I won't show you, but i'll tell you because they removed something from the video. But just here, just to give you an example of just to show you a couple of things which I think are interesting. As I said, because you want to see it in the Ashkenazic world, so you could well, first you have to watch it on the internet. But so here was the evil. It was the last month, as you do. So the video, if you watch it for the two hours, it's de ray tora, it's speeches and it's music. What is amazing to me, and I'm very upset. And this is maybe why it had one hundreds and thousand people. Is that in the original video, which I watched the day after was put up, I'm watching it and all of a sudden, I hear a singer that I've never heard of, and he's not singing traditional music like this. He's singing like modern music with like good messages though, And I was shocked, and I looked him up and it's this guy. I don't know if any of you know him, Yishairibo. Apparently he's very popular. I don't know him. You can listen to his music. He was singing, and for Di Yeshiva to have a person like that singing, I found very unusual. But they took it out. I guess people complain that, but they they they took it out. Now, if you continue in the i hula it, I'll show you two other things that you'll never see at an Ashkenak Yeshiva annual dinner. So for example, here this you will never ever see what I'm gonna show you now in Israel.
Speaker 3: And you know, become a missiles.
Speaker 2: So the idea that you would have, uh, you know, someone like Natanyahu, a non Orthodox figure speaking to Iseshiva dinner. Already you see the difference in this Fardiman Ashai that they have more of a connection to the state than you would have. And especially to listen to what Rabbi Mazous. You might not like Mazou says because nothing who's in big trouble now, but those who know Hebrew can hear what he says. You never would have Anshanza gros Shiva speak this way. I don't even know if Natan was wearing a keepa here, it doesn't look like it. Uh, he speaks for a few minutes. Listen to Rebe Mazou's.
Speaker 4: Espec is halfway, alcohol is umb.
Speaker 2: What he said for those that are saying is that those uh that nothing else should go up and those who are opposing him they should go down. So already you see a difference. Uh this far team are much more connected to the the the the state you know is Fardic family. He's always have people who go to the army. It's a very different approach, even though they dress in black. Just how you dress doesn't mean, uh, you're a Radi like we think of. Hey, if you go into the yu based measures. Today you have lots of people in black suits and black hats, but they're all they all support the state of Israel and things. So this is important, if not this class, next class when we get into Rebamazoo's a very important political letter. But let's get to the letters here. Simon ku lahmaed Dalwit his letter to me, we deal more with for Michelle m Roth. I've shown that we've spoken about Rom Michel and Roth. I don't want to get it into more details. Here's a let me show you a picture of ver michelam Roth. You can read about him. When Ramor Shapiro started issue as lame l Blin, he asked Ramyor Rev Michelle and Roth to uh prepare a curriculum, which I never followed because there was a much broader curriculum than in traditional Yeshivo. He suffered, Actually he lost. I think it was a city of chernovits. He well, he did not get the rabbinic position because he refused to uh give up his Mizrachi allegiances. Sometimes they ask you, for example, I Noah of Sternbach was given the dadis. He had to make sure that his it was his granddaughters won't go to Besakov anymore. But the Rev. Michilam refused to do that. But the letter focuses on something else, really, and that's I I raised a question, and in his response h Rabbi Mazouz mentions something that writ Va I mentioned that we spoke about this already there. Of michelam Roth doesn't think that the rit Va would really criticize the Rombam so harshly and call his views, you know, approaching heresy. But in the Ritva wrote a book called the safers he Karn, which is defense of the Rambamb on the Romba from the Romban's criticism, and there were but for some reason, Ramazous says he doesn't understand how this happens. At one place in this book, the Ritva harshly criticizes the Rambam, and what's the criticism the Rambam? In the Martin Vuhim says that the reason Lushiana kodash is called Hebrews called Lushiana kodesh is because there are no words for the sexual act and no words for sexual organs and uh, and the Ritva doesn't like this at all. What rama Zeus says, he says, I remember now. He says that this he calls this view that of the Rambama. I just mentioned yesh boshemet's me not that it has like a taint of heresy. And then he says, but I don't know what me notes is here and the Ramban incidentally, he disagrees. The Ramban has a different reason that Ramban says it's called Rushia Kodash because the Torah was given in it uh and he says that Ramban quotes this view of the Rambam. He disagrees. He doesn't say it's me newt. As I point out in the notes there, Ramazou's memory was incorrect. Although the the right ritva is critical of the Ramo Zoo, He says lily, he says, God forbid that I should follow this view, and that God should Yaha perlo should. He speaks very strongly against the Rambam. But the word shechemitz me no, it doesn't appear here. It appears in a book called the Garrata Kodash. If you look in the Kiss Rumban. This is a work that was attributed to Rumband the Igirisa codish is called the Holy Letter. It wasn't written by the Rumban. We think it was written by Joe Chikatila. You can see an English translation of it. This is a book. See the Rambamb develops the idea that this quote quotes Aristotle, that he says the sense of touch is a disgrace for us. The Rambamb speaks as a very ascetic approach. His approach and the more no vouchim is that of course you have to have children, so you have to have sexual relations. But the more you can avoid this the better, and that we're really embarrassed by this. It's a disgrace, but it's a necessary disgrace, but it's not a positive thing. And it's a necessary thing so that the humanity can continue. Uh So, the Arisa codish the holy idea of the Garisakodash is that no, this, it could be holy if it's done properly. God gave us to us. There's nothing to be ashamed of. And he calls this a taint of heresy, that this is based on Greek ideas of the sense of touch. The Greeks, they put all the focus on the spirituality versus the physicality, and the Agarisa Kodesh sees this view of the rambamb as a completely Greek view, totally feign to Jewish ideas. It is far and when you think about all we always speak about positive attitude of sexuality and everything. We don't mention the roalm bomb and been a Rambam and others. We have enormous asceticism and judaism that we've pushed out as an article explaining you know, he's being realistic. He's saying, look, we've pushed it out because it doesn't fit in with us today. But you can find plenty of sources. Read the kids are one day what he says, it's scary stuff. I think growing up and seeing that. Ravoensin says that it doesn't work with us today. So there's another tradition. But to say it's not part of our tradition. We have more than one tradition. But so the Agarisa Kodish, though, is a strong affirmer of the holiness of physicality done properly. God gave it to us. It's and it shouldn't be viewed the germ. By the way, the Gherasidim are complete ascetics. It's I don't need to be so explicit here, but J. Benny Brown has a whole article on this. They are as ascetic as you can be once you have and once and for some of them, once you have children, complete ascetisis and the rest of your life. And don't tell me, well, what about the katuba says that a man has to do for his wife? Because they have an answer to that, They say, well, she's mojo. She she like, do we really ask her? But so there are trends of asceticism in the Jewish tradition. Incidentally, I have my own hoop on this one. If I ever writ my reduce Tam Jays, Rebbie Hellman's heard it. This is my one of my redution, my few reduce my terrope. Because I really think if you ever get a clarial you think is right, you remember it and this is and I I thought of this only when I started studying world religions, because you study world religions, then you see that Islam doesn't have it. But all the other religions, obviously Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, they all have this idea, and other religions of asceticism of celibacy because they have this conception that physicality you have this this binary thing here you have the spirituality and your physicality, and we of course want to be spiritual, so therefore we have to remove ourselves from physicality. You can't get rid of fancy food, fancy close materialism, food out, and of course sexual relations. So you have the whole trend to celibacy. That explains I think though, why we have a mitzvah prow or what do you need a mitza for? Everyone's gonna have children anyway, because had it not been for the Mitzvah, we too would have developed a celibate class. We would have been just like old time Catholicism, where they would have said that for the super Paulias, for the special ones, then they do the there do the celibis life because they have to get close to God. And for the rest of us, well, we're gonna have families. The only way to prevent this, to make sure that even the rabbi with the big beard and that tsadi, that he too would have a family life, is to make it amizvah, because if he didn't make it Amidstvah, we too, naturally would have developed what we believe to be this phony, false ideology, that complete celibacy. That that's we wouldn't have had it. So we couldn't have that because it's a mitzvah. But I have to say, if I want to be honest, we can't have that because there's aha. But we got close. If you look at the Gerasidim and you look at some others, it's not what we tell the young people today about marriage, joining together husband and wife, et cetera. Much Rather, we like to look at the arisakodash because that seems much more in line with UH than the modern message. And that's not I don't think, that's not that's not inauthentic. I'm not saying anything absolute. But for us, the message to the Arisa Kodish is the only one that's works. If you're with the geras team, fine, it's a different message, and that's Simon Kufamed Dahalodamed. Hey, I don't need to go into the details. It's Alcio corresponds to with Mazou's about a certain matter. But I had sent him a book. I sent him this book, and I sent him a number of books by Shan Lieberman. That's why you thought I worked at seminary. I don't know. Maybe he didn't think I was full time, but I don't know. If you know this book Rambam, it's it's not a big book, but d Rambam wrote a work on the Jerusalem Tomwood, which is like a riff. It's a helloic work on the Jerusalem Tomwood. We don't have the whole thing. We only have sections of its, small sections on Brocho. It comes from the Ganso. If those who are interested in the Ganesa, there's a wonderful thing on vimeo. It's called from the From Cairo to the Cloud, the World of the Kiraganza, and I've been watching it. The problem is I can't give you. He needs a password, and like if your shull did it, then you can have a password. I can't give it to you, but if you can have access to it. It's from a few years ago. It's really really very nice, with great interviews and all about the Chiroganese. Incredible story. But they so here you have and from the rombum's own handwriting. Mind you you have pictures of it in the back, the Rumbum's own handwriting. So I sent it to him and he comments to me first of all that it's great what Rashaul Lieberman did to put this together. And then he calls attention to the fact that in the back there's an article by Moshe Letzsky. Mosha Ltzky was an expert in handwriting, and he wrote about the Rumbums handwriting, a long page of the RUMs handwriting, and in his discussion Ramazous mentions this because this is relative. Ramazous, this is in a big dispute with Professor Havlin at Bari Laude. There's a safe for Torah which has a colophon on it, and afterwards that says it's written by the Ron, not in the safe for to itself, I think connected to it. It's written by the Ron Ormiss him of Jerona, and he believes it's as thinks it's authentic, and Professor Havlin thinks it's it's phony. That is that the Dron didn't write it. That is a few hundred years after the run, and it's written in the I think it's the calophone and a certain script. Whatever it is, it's they argue about that. Now what Ski mentions that the Rambam wrote in three type of scripts. First of all, he says that families had scripts. Father would teach a son and they would teach them a certain script. And if you look at the Rahmbum script, it's it's a certain unique type of script, but just three scripts. You have the this square script, like say for Torah. Everyone would write that like in a holy book. But then you have also private stuff when the ram was writing for himself before he quote publishes his work. Then you have a different script. And then you have a third script where you when he's writing by himself. It's what we call katav Rabani or Rashi. Rashi didn't invent this script. Rashian never used this, but he looks very much like in the Middle East they would even write like that. And finally there's the kava we call cursive script or melek they call it. So then he talks about the three types of scripts. So why do I mention this. It's really only a side point because a lot of people don't realize unless you look at I won't say medieval because you look at medieval Ashkenazac Man Hebrew, and you could read it no problem. You look at that sea scrolls, you can read it. The people who are with me in Italy where it called. I showed them on the wall something in Italy where you could read it. It's from medieval times, that's not a problem. But in certain places they developed a certain type of cursive script. Let me show you some examples, and it's you could see millions of examples of this, but you really you need to learn it's called I think it's what I think to bring out the solid trail. So here, for instance, is what you find in It's not Arabic script. It's mostly found let's say, in Turkey and others, but also Jdayo Arabic. I shouldn't say that to day Breck as well. So look at these letters.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: I have a better page here. So you have an olive we know Alif f Roshi's square. That's the Olif, and that's the Bayse, and this is the Gimo doll it I guess looks a bit of it. Hey doesn't look anything like it. So when you see these type of when you see manuscripts, I have to say that I've published a number of things for manuscript When I'm looking like i'd go to JTS and I looked at the manuscripts. Since even you'd see nineteenth century stuff like that, I immediately would say, nope, skip onto something else, because it's too difficult unless you I didn't grow up with it. I have a nice little book here published by Rabbi Mazuza's Yeshiva, which is it's called combos Azaha. It's it's a workbook to teach you the script, and you can do all the exercises to learn how to to write and read this script. But since I'm not using manuscripts written in that script. But have you ever see, for instance, the manuscript of the City Rehmed or loads and loads on the front of this booklet here it has examples from the Rita and all these others and all the Swarda kadoli and listen. I can't read any of it. I once read a bit of it because I had to. I had to go back to compare all that. I guess if I practiced enough, i'd be able to. But so different Hebrew scripts. I know that it's strange. Many of us have seen the old old Hebrew. That's a proto Hebrew which they wrote in the days of Razali, which doesn't look like ours, but it's the same language. It's just a different script. That's all you can. You can say olive can look like anything, Bass can look like anything. There's no tarashaba peh that in the cursive script that the bays has to look a certain way. So, as I said, we know that Rambam wrote in three different scripts. The next letter is KUKAMTVOV, page two ninety one.
Speaker 4: And this is a.
Speaker 2: Short letter. I a few years back, there was a there was the great translators. You have the Ibin ti Bone family, schmool Ibin ti Bone in France, but his father in Provence, I should say his father is judah Ibin Tibon. They come from France. They come from Spain and then make their way over to to uh northern to southern France. We we saw hold on, let me see it, I believe for the people who were with us. Yeah, yeah, okay, I got it here. I'm gonna put it up for you. This will bring back some memories. I think it just occurred to me those who came with me to Spain. Do you remember in Granada I took you with the statue of judah Ibit Tibon and the father of translators. There, that's the statue. It's it's it's it's right by the hotel we stay at, and I don't think the average person knows what it is. But there's a statue in Granada of Umi Bau of Judah Ibn Ti Bone because Uh, that's that's where he came from. He came from uh Uh Granada, but then he moved went to uh to France southern province. So they are the great translators. And we know Yuda Inindi Bone did translations bon alsocial. The famous one, obviously is the Rambum the Manavuchin. The Rambam says about schmull Ivan ty Bone that he understands my secrets more than anyone else. And it's a pretty significant statement because schmull Iman ty Bone was what we call a radical interpreter of the Mournevuchi. He was not a traditional he was a radical interpreter. And Rabik Kafech doesn't like Ibn t Bone's translation. So you could ask, well, how could rak not like iban Ti Bone's translation? The rambamiself testified to it. Well, Rakavick says he didn't really testify to it. The iban t Bone sent him a few passages and the Rama said, oh, very nice. That doesn't mean he and then says from kamics per sective Ebin t Bone's not a Haraic scholar. So therefore the things he misunderstands in the Rambum, I think most scholars these are experts in the Arabic. Think that Rebei kafech has U stretched this too much, that Ibn t Bone's translation is is uh is very good. In fact, Ibin t Bone created certain terms and Hebrew words he brought into the Hebrew language because he needed to translate it. Now, his father wrote an ethical will for him. An ethical will is something people write towards the end of their lives, not a we have wills where you give money and ethical wills where you're you're giving your guidance for your family. Israel Abraham's translated many of these, and the title of the book is called Jewish Ethical Wills, and you can read all these, all these ethical wills, even the Rambum. They say he has an ethical will. But we know this is not real. It's not authentic. It's uh at wish. We think it it's not authentic. But what I wrote to around Mazous is that in the ethical will it's called Arita Mussar of who they've been borne to his son Schmuol. He says as follows, don't be stubborn to hold onto your opinion even if you know you are correct. Rather give into the robbing the majority and don't dispute with them. So I wrote to Mazou's, who considers himself a follower of the Spanish tradition and can't get any better than these two great translators. I said, this doesn't make sense. Apparently, it saysn't a ton don't loos agree? You're not supposed to be afraid. If a rabbi he's afraid, we don't like that. He has to stand up and speak the truth, even if everyone's going to oppose him. I say, did the rombomb or a vud you're safe? Did they give give in to other people just because when they knew that they were correct, just because everyone's disagreeing with them. No, I already just told you what the Rambam said that the truth. It doesn't stop being the truth even if most of the entire world disagrees with you. So I said, well, what do you think about this? How could you and depone and tell his son, when he's trying to teach a son the proper way to live, that give in to others if they're the majority. No, I would stand up for your your rightful opinion. Otherwise we're going to have majority to dictainership of the majority. And he says to me Zoharah, and I said, what you say is correct. He greases, but he says, apparently at this time with schmul minity, Bon was still quite young and his father was worried that he would cause kin of a sinna jealousy and hatred, just like what happened to have Shamble Ivann Gabirol. They were, it's reported the Gamirol who was so amazing, what a great poet, that people were jealous of him and h people. When people are jealous, they try to destroy you. And uh so he said his stats. He's giving a suggestion that maybe his father was so worried that it would cause him trouble since he's young, that he's telling him, keep your mind to take to yourself. And then he says, even Ravad Josef in his youth, remember, I said, Ravod Joseaf, he stood up for the truth that he knew it. He didn't care the controversy. It says even Ravad Josif in his youth, when he in his youth, when he fought against the Beni Schlai, he doesn't really completely sentence. He says also a vodios If in his youth when he argued with the Beni Schaikia, do what you need to put in there is that it created an enormous controversy. It did. Some people burnt were a Vadiosiv's book. Here was a young guy like in twenty in his early twenties, and he's going around to the various Iraqi shoals and saying, you don't have to listen to the Beni schlaik listen to these. We're in the land of Israel. The Beni Schlai for them was the final authority, and he was telling them you don't listen to them. So that created a big controversy. There are people who wanted to put him in hey Rem but then rem Mozou says, as follows. When you write a book, you have to put forth your opinion. Yes it should be says bad denwt to zero. Put it forth carefully with sensitivity, but don't cover up the truth. When you write a book, you have to be truthful. And ravad yose I guess he's saying that maybe you're a vadiosif I shouldn't gone to the different shoals and preached against the Beni Schlai. But when you write, you have to write the truth. You can't give in, and in over time the truth will be revealed, because the truth always stands. And then we get to Kuflamazion and this will be the last one we do. It's just a few lines. I uh Rebemazous has been subject to great attacks by people. I will show you next class what says about him. But even before that, great attacks because in his evening Saturday nights you are he's quoting Beolic. He's quoting, often to reject them, but sometimes just quoting their poetry. He likes to quote. He's quoted the Masmid. If you haven't read the Masmid of Biolic, it's such a wonderful thing. I mean, then Revie used to quote this. If you grow up in the Ashkenazic world, it's not so problematic. But today here Beolic, oh the big heretic, and he's quoting other all these sources so there's a whole literature against him to they even banned. They put his sitter under harem and here let me show you. I don't know if you've seen this sitter ever, the Ishmatsliech sitter, very popular sitter, but they changed certain things. He corrects the gersos when he thinks they're mistaken. So it has oscam here from by Vosner and from other people here, uh, from a Vadio safe but still in this Spardic world there's there's a whole extremist element uh that came out of Ashkenazkyeshiva. So they've attacked him a lot. So I uh, I sent him some stuff about Biallack, because Biolock is not just all bad. When Biallck came to Israel, first of I wrote the Masmid, which is a great portrayal of the version Shiva. Second, when he came to Israel, he wasn't I wouldn't call him religious, but he was very much in favor of Schabas in the public sphere. And in a sense they said he did a certain type of chuva. So it's not like he's He's not Schernikovsky or Bertashevsky, who were complete, the atheists and heretics and all that. Biollock is much more complicated. So I sent him some things. I sent him how Reviewscoobromsky his relationship with Ballock. They had correspondents, and there's a bunch of Godolin who knew I'm sure of Dovid Lifschitz. Maybe if they'll meet him. He apparently knew Hebrew literature very well, but Abromsky knew Biolic literature very well. I sent him some of this stuff, and I sent him about some of the history of Biallock. So he writes as follows, and one with this. I think it's a little naive when he writes, but he says, I read everything. People are like this, that is like Biollic, that there so is torn between Emuna and Fira. That is Biallock. You know, one minute he's speaking very piously, he's calling back his youth, and the next minute, you know, you see stuff heretical stuff in one of his Later on, we'll see in the book Ballack published something that the Russian censor refused to print because uh, it's heretical. You know, the Russian censor is saying it's heretical against God, this is after the big pagram. We'll get to that. But then he said, nasee morador, you know they're there. We're gonna are we supposed to turn people at Biallak who's safe? Tim Are we now supposed to start looking to him as a guidance. So Rebazus will quote him if he has a good line or a good thing, but not that he can be a leader. But then he says, caval shalohayahgunda the goner vomans like going cook. He says, it's unfortunate that at the beginning of the days of the hoscal Uh we didn't have people like Ravadio Safe and of Cook, because then everything would have turned out okay. There wouldn't have been a split in a nation because they would have been able to keep the people in the fold with their ideas. Okay, now that this is quite naigi. First of all, there's no question Ravadio Safe has done enormous things. He brought He created a toros society in Stardic world. If you go back to the nineteen fifties and sixties, there's like one yeshiva. He didn't have anything as farta tourist society. It's all from him, and he created many many balichuva. But to say that the European hoscal these are secular, educated people. These are people who want entree into Europe. The idea that Revad Josefe would be he doesn't there's no language, he doesn't speak their language, So that wouldn't have worked. Riff Cook, It's more interesting because Cook Cook, I don't think any one individual. With the rise of modernity, you're gonna have people who attracted the new ideas and they're gonna leave. But we know that there were great figures. If you look in Germany shimpshar uff Al Hirsch when he comes on the scene, there is very little attrition among the Orthodox world, and it's precisely due to him and his philosophy. If you look at eighteen hundred, the Orthodox dominate all the cities, not obviously the towns. Fifty years later they're the minority. Why is that, because, as Hirsch pointed out, these rabbis didn't know how to respond to the times. They they were responding like they were living in Warsaw Villna two one years before. They need Torndero Heretzin Tora needs to respond to the new circumstances. But once the Hersheyan idea gets going, there's very little attrition. So yes, had you had a person like Riff Cook, maybe you would have. You did not have an Eastern europe A Shimphan Ruffle Art. If you had, maybe things would have been different. Risseael Solantre tried, but you wouldn't have solved everyone. But the idea is important that had there been an and I would reviser. Zeus said in the beginning years of the state, had you had a Ravad Josef who could appeal to the masses listen to my classes on him, you wouldn't have had these people came to Israel. They came from Morocco. Many of them are religious. They came from not all of them, because with the French already they they stopped being They came from Yemen. They all were religious, and then they fell into a secular society. They're not secular, but they were influenced. Many of them, not show Marschabas. We know the history. Had you had a figure like Ravad Yosefe to give them pride and teach them, then it would have been different. But not in hoscalo, hoscalo, you need arough cook type figure.
Speaker 1: So with that we end for.
Speaker 2: Tonight next class, we're going to pick up with what I believe is an important historical document when they write the history of the Yahad party in Israel, their failure. I think people will use this letter and we'll hear about listening to Wagner music and some a lot of things. We have about six more letters, the Ramban Mosha Kunitz.
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 2: Moscule? You should shine? The mosculum should shine because zoa hurricis moscule always a bad word. What about Gilgel? Is Gilgel really a doctrine reincarnation? So we have all sorts of good stuff coming up. Well, let me now, oh it's already nine thirty three. Let me get to the comments. Everyone. Thank you all for your comments and questions. As always, I love the fact that I learned so much from the comments. Albara sent the link I said that the I said this before we got on that this Werdiger, who's the CEO of the Agora Si SrAl. He goes to the Super Bowl every year. Janin says, this reminds me of modern non denominational Protestant ministers. And congregations. I'm not sure what that was referring to. So right in Felix says, where's Revdi say? It's for minutes. It's a coo issue. Even if he knows what she looks like, he says it it's in the book in y b oh Mare in his in the early beone where he says, if you know what she looks like from a picture, you can't. But then in the later ya be o Mayor he says, no, if you just know from a picture, and and it's explained in the book by revolv Ram. If you just know what you look for her a picture, it's not h it doesn't count. You have to have been with her in person. That's where he says. He says, he says, you have to rayem Riosa. So does that mean if you saw her on TV because that's sort of like in person. I don't know. He doesn't explain that. But that's a retraction. That's an important retraction of revolv Ramiosef explains, so we studied this earlier in the collect course, that that his father changed the position on that bride Witz is not from Toronto. Oh yeah, this is not it's Eliwits. You're right. Sorry, sorry, I get confused. Thank you, Nat. He's he's I think he runs uh a chateaua now uh no, no in Israel, yes, bride wits. I think he runs. I forget someone, all right in one of them. Yes, it's so, it's a bride wits. And I just want to say again how impressed I was by h L I never met, but uh, in general, how impressed I am that the academics and the rabbis are saying basically the same thing. That so, uh yeah, they're brothers. Okay, yeah, I don't know either of them. David Eisen says that, yeah, this was just released yesterday. I think the real giving an explanation for an eye to eye for an eye, and the Rove doesn't here deal with the fact that in the Morna Vuim basically says that it should be an eye for an eye, but and and the explanation people usually give is that because in theory, that's what we should do, but we we can't because it's not gonna be uh, it's not gonna be equal. That's what the Gomoras says, that if my eye is good and your eye is bad. But the rev you can he get the link Ruby selli achik. You're not watching him. It's just an audio. But whoever set it up set it up so that he sort of moves and it's in Yiddish. Uh. The reve has A has a great Yiddish yes so bora sites the godomi raban chimo Uh. The expressionismonim no no, the is fardimo. Also use peo team. As far as I know of, Mazuza is the term peo team. Filk says Iribo is great. I why do they remove Rebo? I think only because it doesn't it's it's like modern music. And for Yeshiva, I'm assuming that's why. But Felix says, Yeshiva guys listening to these days, that's the sort of thing that would be great. At my school every year they have like a musical thing. So you have someone like Yshairibo we had, We've had all these type of modern like religious type of singers. But I have to say I had never heard of him. And Davis is how is Romusu's Westerner prime minister any different and similar? Blessing with his Stonies run politicians by Lababachreby it's no different. But again, the Labavacherebbi is not a Haredi Rosueshiva. Tell me when Revma and usually Rebbi Netsanajo or other politicians and go to the dinner in Tel Aviv. When's the last time you saw Netsan Yaho or any secular politician go to Thelevron dinner or go to the Ponavis dinner. You won't have it. They go to America's. You can see videos of Shamir walking into America's and you're not smoved, and they sing to him like he's one of the Godola you thro. But the Labavachrebbi, of course, the Lababach rebby would give the blessings. But the Olbabach Rebbi is also not in the Haredi world the way we normally think of, you say, the prime minister, politicians, Shazar. When Shazar came to America, he went to the rebbi and the rebbie of course, gave him this blessing. And there was a lot of controversy back in Israel. They said, you're the president, you shouldn't go to the rebbe. The rebbe should come to you, and they thought it was disrespectful. But Shazar. When he reverted to his youth, he was a hausted and he went to the Rebbe. He wore the hat the entire time. In his later years he became more observant than they say, so they would all the politicians, including Natanao you could see on YouTube nets now when he was the ambassador, would go to the Rebbe. But that's it's the same thing. They're not in the Haredi world. Per Se. David says that Yhai Rebo was part of an increasingly growing group of Jewish music entertainers such as lenand and Ari who had become mainstream. And his music's on a top ten playlist of secularies early radio stations, and the songs and then I looked on YouTube. These are good messages. It's like there's Christian rock and Christian music. This is Jewish music, but not like we think of like wedding type of music. It's but songs with good messages. And I was listening to him for a while. What is the name of the site about the guiness? You can't access it. If you email me, I'll send you the link, but you can only see sections of it. It's it's called from Cairo to the cloud. For those people in Toronto, the Friedberg freed there's the Freberg Institute funded by Dove Friedberg. They've created this website and all the fragments of the Guinese guiness is incredible. iPad says that as far as Eric Einstein is there a musician took inspiration for Tanach, including songs about Jacob working waiting for Rachel. Yeah, okay, I guess they took it. But are they talking? Are they singing? These singers they're not orthodox. Do they have a contemporary message? I mean, you can have a love song about Jacob working for Rajau, but that's that's not uh. And the song Yihairibo sang was like for the about the Yeshiva, It's I think that's different. David says that the true term mandated pro revoo and an urban celibacy. Then why are women is them from the smith's Okay, you know you don't need me to answer that. The reshown him already asked that, and the standard answer given is that it's dangerous. Today maybe people forget that, but in pre modern times it was quite dangerous. Many women died in childbirth. If you're ever wondering where you have these those the wicked step mother and everything. Why are therese all these wicked step mothers around? It's because women were off and dying in childbirth, and the husband then had to remarry to If he was lucky, he married the sister, because only the sister would that would be good sister of the wife. But generally they have to find some woman, uh to marry, and that's where you get the theme of the wicked stepmother. So that's what many people say. The reason is, since it it's dangerous, we didn't want to have a commandment to require women. Now, how how that is actually practical because if women are really not obligated, then apparently women they don't have that children. You could be married and she could say, well, okay, I'm going on all his birth control and you're never gonna have children. So it's a little more complicated than that, because once she gets married, we assume that she is obligated to have children because it's part of her duties as a wife. A woman can't say just because she's married, I'm not obligated and I'm not gonna have children. But what it does mean is that technically a woman is not obligated to get married because she's exempt from it. Oh and so, and finally the last thing, David says this or Sam Rabbi Bridewits, I listened to rebby Bridewits. Maybe that's the why I said Yitshak and Seelieza because in the car I like to listen to we were snowed out last Tuesday, but on Thursday, so I always listen to good stuff. I listened to her emotion talks. I don't listen to her by Weeder him. I watch because you sort of need to see it. But I listened to her emotion I listened to Wi Wechenstein. I listened to general podcasts, not Jewish Jewish ones. I'd love to listen to Glenn Lowry and John mcwarder. If you don't know John McWorter, check out John McWorter. I love him. Uh but I was listening last week to the Dovid Luhtenstein Show, and I was listening to uh Rabbi Bridewitz, who was on it. It's like Bridewits, this is just a few weeks ago, and he was speaking of vegetarianism and other things. And he's very impressive and very well spoken, and of course I'm waiting and he throws out rough cook and everything very nice. So yes, mort he says, I don't listen to Lexicon Valley. I've only listened to a few of them. I like listening to his stuff on race, race relations, anti racism, all that sort of stuff. I think he's great. Okay, uh so ot con thank you. If I recall, I don't know if I connect. You know, years ago the a good at convention. There's a whole scandal because it was Israel and they refused to invite the president of Israel because they didn't want to stand, you know, and you remember that. I was thinking about thirty five forty years ago, there's a whole well there there's been a number of scanners. I thought there was another scan. I think it was the first to go to convention, the second in Israel where they refused to put the Israeli flag up on the hotel where it was taking place at and they were told, you have to know, they want to take the flag down, and they said, no, we're not taking it down. So what they did is then they put up the flags of all the countries where people were coming from. So America, England, So the Israeli flag was only one flag among many. Yeah, that's they're not going to have. We see the Gardi world, we see part of this with the world's Zionist organization. There was a split in the is that the world's Yeah, there's split in the Garadi world because a number of leading figures in Kunier Rusher Weis said that we should be part of this because there's money and we can direct money and other things. And then there was a strong backlash or by our own fellow and even though many Godolim and Israel from the very right wing said that it's okay. And then how could it be okay you have to proclaim allegiance to Zionism. I don't think people or Zionists might not be so happy of hearing this. They said, ah, no one cares. You could just say I Bombazionist, even if you're not really a Zionist. So that the Haradian who said be part of it, they say, it's not really a declaration. But Robert Aaron Felman, you can actually see his speech at the Agoda convention attacking this position, saying that these are our principles. We will never be in the world Zionist organization because we oppose what Zionism is. So the Haredi world itself is split on how to relate. But they would never have an Israeli Prime minister speak unless he was a religious Jew. How do you spell? Mcwurder, mcwarder, mc who r t er Lexicon Valley is all about language. He's a linguist, but his show on racial issues is very entertainment.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the electron Zo, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast apt or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen