Speaker 1: Now here's nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, five o'clock on a Friday, Let's do it. We've got a hell of a weekend coming up. I'm looking here. The college football playoff, of course, starts today Notre Dame in Indiana, and then we will have the other three games tomorrow. But there's no snow. I guess the snow melted they get did they clear it out? I mean I thought we were going to get a football game that had snow. I mean maybe. I mean, I'm looking here, Rick Bose. It's just tweeted out of a picture about twenty minutes ago. In fact, he's got a video here too, because he is boots on the ground up there in South Bend covering this for WDRB. And there's no snow. I mean, there's like some snow you can see, like on the seats, but maybe it got warm enough to where it melts it or maybe they just got rid of it. But that I won't lie. That does sort of damp in a little bit of the of the hype for me. I mean, it's gonna be a great game, and I'm hoping Indiana can pull off the upset. But yeah, I was the picture that Notre Dame football Twitter account posted with the snowman were looking the stadium and the field that it just covered in snow. That was awesome to see, But it feels like years ago. Now. Yeah, I guess I don't know. I guess it. I guess it melted because there's no I mean, I don't know what the actual temperature is. In fact, I'm gonna look it up now because I'm very curious South Bend current temperature.
Speaker 3: I mean, when it was snow in earlier, it was freezing here, and I've noticed it's not as cold as it was, but it was wendy too, so.
Speaker 2: The highest thirty two. So maybe that just got it to I don't know, who knows, but either way should be a I mean, I hope it's a good game, and I'm hoping Indiana wins. But I think the Hoosiers, understandably so, are a tough team for a lot of people to figure out. But if you just now joined in, I just I think I talked about it in the four o'clock hour. I think if you were wanting and maybe you just don't want to, I don't know, but if you were wanting to believe Indiana could could could pull off an upset and get one win in this playoff. If you're somebody that wants to believe that Notre Dames of fraud, and you hope they get embarrassed, because anytime they make any playoff championship, two team, four team, twelve team, they get embarrassed. I just feel like the Indiana is the kind of team you could believe that would do it in Indiana. You know, regardless if they lose tonight, they still were a good team this year. And I hate that for Indiana fans because they truly could lose tonight in a close game and have no win. We're speaking of as far as, like you know, resume signature a team that you beat that other people think is good. But it still wouldn't take away the fact that they just would have gone eleven and two and you know, one of the best seasons they'll ever have. I mean, like I would hate that. You know, I guess more than you can't control the people are gonna say what they're gonna say, you have literally no control over it. But I know a win here against Notre Dame would would actually solidify the Hoosiers to a lot of people and you know, people can act like they don't care about that kind of stuff, but you do, right. I mean, like the same people who who try to like get their fan base to really embrace us against the world, We don't care what anybody thinks, when I know you do care, Like that's why you're saying us against the world, because you think everybody's out to get you, and really they don't. They're not that worried about you. But anyways, we'll get back into these matchups this weekend coming up shortly. I do want to once again give props to Danny buspom Kelly and the Louisville volleyball team as they have advanced to the national championship game and the way that thing played out last night was awesome. I mean it was. Volleyball itself has become so awesome to watch on TV. I don't seek it out, but if it's on, I'll find myself locked in. And of course when Louisville volleyball is in a big match with a really good team like you know, the postseason, like they've been, I mean, it's it's something that even if I'm not in front of a TV like I had it on my phone last night watching at the dinner table with my wife. She was a volleyball player herself in high school, so we were watching and it was exciting. But then once we left to leave dinner to go to put shak, which was a lot of fun. By the way, we had it or they had it on the TV as soon as we got there, and I was following and you know, keeping up with it throughout. But when I left the restaurant, it was like, yeah, you know this this man. I didn't well be because Pittsburgh's already beat you twice. They're really really good. Of the number one overall seed in the country for a reason, and they were playing really well. But then man Louisville caught a run and ran away with it. I mean just really just kind of took over and it was it was awesome to see. We also played some sound earlier. If you missed it, you can check out on the podcast Pat Kelsey talking about just you know, not only given props and praise to Danny buspom Kelly in the volleyball program, but I mean he's become like a super fan and you know, you could tell it's genuine that's not just somebody who wanted to come to a press conference and say congrats ladies, best of luck to you. Go get it. He was breaking down the game and think trying to think of nicknames for players, and just really really good stuff to see from you know when it and I also talked about this a little bit earlier as well. When you have your coaches on campus all supporting one another, kind of sharing good positive energy, that doesn't mean anything when it comes to like winning, like you got to win, and this won't correlate to like I mean, I guess it could be healthy for your program, but it certainly can only help you when it comes to like your fans and your your base, right when they see other coaches supporting other programs within the university. Uh, and it's legit, it's genuine, like that's that's what you want, all right. Uh, let's see, I want to go to text line by way two six five three zero seven ninety is the number if you guys would like to would like to text in. And I didn't plan to go back here, but here we are, so I don't even remember how it got started. Oh yeah, I was talking about my wife because she's prepared she's prepared the home today because we are we are hosting a Christmas event tonight with her side of the family, my in laws looking forward to having them. And you know, she took the day off work and she's been cleaning the house, mopping the floors, I mean, making sure the house is in as best shape as possible. And I was just kind of saying, you know, I was kind of saying, how whenever she's in that mode, I just try to stay out of her way, because you know, she's it's a very serious thing for her. I feel like if I'm near her and she's cleaning up something that she feels like is dirty because of me, Like you know, then you know, maybe the twoilet seed or something like that, or like when I leave my beer cans in the shower, like you know, she I just don't want to be near her where she can either hit me or you know, yell at me, because you know, she's right, I shouldn't leave beer cans in the shower. But what you know, I'm a man.
Speaker 3: I guess the gut to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So she just gets in her zone. And I was telling, you know, it's telling. I was just talking about how you know, I stay out of her way, and you know, she's great, she's she's awesome. And somebody texted in and said, hey, Nick, can you help me help me out with this? I called my wife a trophy wife and she hit me upside the head and I thought I was giving her a compliment. And I think she thinks I insulted her. And he wanted me to, like, I guess say he won, but I had to, you know, trust the good old fashioned Google machine. And apparently trophy wife is a it is seen as something that can be viewed as here's what it says. A trophy wife as a wife who is seen as a status symbol for her husband, often in a derogatory way. Well, we have a woman who has texted him and said, I think you got it right. I wouldn't necessarily say derogatory, but if my husband referred to me as his trophy wife, I would assume he's referring to me as his possession and not really valuing me as a human being. Well, I hear you. I mean I've learned about this today because I don't I don't use that phray. I've never called my wife my trophy wife. I've never thought about it, but if I did, I would think I was being nice and here I would be acting like my wife is my possession and not a human being that you know has feelings and you know I love. How about don't say we don't help you out on here, fel I mean, maybe you guys all realize it's not something you should you should say to your wife, and and we're the ones learning on the fly here that you know we don't that we shouldn't say that. But are you with me? I mean, Austin, did you ever if you heard somebody refer to a woman as a trophy wife, or a husband refer to his wife as a trophy wife, would you have thought that that meant like would you have thought that it was derogatory?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, now hearing like the actual definition of it, I can't understand.
Speaker 2: I thought I knew the definition, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: I just I just always kind of thought, maybe that's because I'm not smart anyways, But you're just calling like your wife a trophy, like trophies are good, yeah, nice and shiny, something that I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something that everybody wanted but you got.
Speaker 3: But I guess it's something that they probably. I guess under that context, it's like someone that you you show off and that is just for you to like, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe it can be viewed as like you're you're it's only for the looks, but at the end of the day, like it's still a compliment, you know what I mean, Like you can be a trophy because I think you're hot and you're awesome and I love showing you off. But like it doesn't mean I don't value you and your feelings and you as a human. I mean, like attraction is is is at least a component. In fact, it's a major component when it comes to a lot of relationships. As we continue this this uh romantic you know, dating type show, which is not really what we're trying to do. But here we are Austin. You got you, you got engaged with the weekend. You asked the question. She said, yes, we congratulated you. Did you ever have any any like was there ever a moment where you who were worried like what She'd say, No, not when you bought the ring and knew you were doing it. You thought there was no scenario, she'd say, no, correct yes.
Speaker 3: I think I was more worried that she might not think that the timing and everything the surrounding was as romantic and everything that she wanted.
Speaker 1: It to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the reason I ask is because once I saw your big news, I was thinking, I like, there's no like I was gonna say, like she said yes, congrats. But then I thought, like a lot of people still say that, like she said yes. I mean, technically she does have to say yes. Yeah. But I think like now this day and age, ninety nine percent of men at any age that are proposing drop into the knee. They've bought the ring. They're doing it because they one know she's gonna say yes and wants to get married, or maybe they've been pressured to propose for a while. Not saying either of those things were your situation, but like, I don't know a guy that has ever been told no when proposing. I know it's happened, and I really can't envision. I just feel like you'd have to have like a I don't know, like I feel like you have a really bad read on your partner if you were proposing and they say no right exactly.
Speaker 3: You know, I've seen the videos as someone proposing at like I guess not so ideal situations like at games and stuff, and then the girls sitting there going like no, no, like get off your knee and stuff like that. But I'd never ran into or experienced being friends with anybody that has like got down on one knee and was ready to risk that moment and them just be like no, not right now. I know that would be pretty embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I've gotten I know people who've gotten engaged and then the wedding was off. Yes, that and that can be a variety of things, obviously, but maybe like maybe the girl, because I think this is there's a better chance the girl says yes and then like then she tries to figure out how she can get out of it than her telling you if it would take a lot to tell me if you're just being honest, you're being honest. Yeah, But if somebody's on one knee and they're asking you to to to marry, I mean, I know, I know, I know girls who have said yes to like I mean, I don't mean in high school, I knew a few girls that that I'm pretty sure they said yes to their prom day because they didn't have the hard to say no they didn't really want to go with them. They were like dating. I mean, if you can't say no to a prom date because you feel like they would let them down, imagine. I mean again, marriage is much bit different and much bigger than going to prom. But I feel like it would just be hard to tell somebody no. But hey, if you're being honest, at least.
Speaker 3: You're you know.
Speaker 2: And I also feel like if you've proposed once and they still want to be with you but they don't want to get married, or they just say they don't want to get married yet, like you ain't going back on one knee again, right, Like you can't take it imentually taking it twice, that would be really really it'd be really, really tough. I think for most dudes, when you think about proposing, you think about how can I pull off the proposal the best way. It's not about the worry of yes or no. It's like, well, she think this was a sweet way? Will she be surprised that kind of stuff? Was your fiance?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Was she surprised? Yes, she was? She was.
Speaker 3: I think she had She told me she had an idea was going to be that weekend either that or was going to be on Christmas morning, And to be honest, I never even thought about the Christmas morning thing. I think that would have been cool too, but the area that we were at was a little bit more romantic, and obviously we had a person there to like help kind of like record it coordinated. Yeah, I had had to smarten the guy up.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations once again. Did you tell your family ahead of time?
Speaker 3: I told h Well, my dad kind of helped me co sign for the ring, so I had to get a loan.
Speaker 2: For the ring. He knew, he knew.
Speaker 3: He told me sadly not to tell my mom because my mom would have overthought and freaked out. He thought that she would have said something like said something to her and spoiled the surprise. And so I told my mom the day before. And I don't know if this is still a thing, dude, Like, do people still ask like the father for permission? Did you have to do that?
Speaker 2: So I don't know if it's still a thing. I don't know that I had to. I don't believe my father in law would have thought anything of it if I didn't, but I but I did just and just told him and and it was pretty straightforward, and that's what it was. I feel like, man for for if that's still a thing, which I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. If that's still a thing, I can see that being a you know, maybe not like something you're worried is gonna say no. I would imagine if you're going to propose to a woman and you feel like she's gonna say yes, and you probably have somewhat of a relationship with her father, it's probably not going to be totally surprised. But like, that's that's a that's more of a nerve wrecking thing for me than anything else. I sure not about is she gonna say yes or no? But like what's what's her dad gonna say?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know if it's if it's when my sister, When my sister was proposed to uh, I'm pretty sure the first thing she said was not yes or no, but did you ask my dad? And that's such a her thing. But I kind of again, I don't know a lot of people that have gotten married recently, and the people that I do know that have been married somewhat recently, they've been together a really long time. So like it could be more of a formal like actually, it could be more of a formal like I'm not asking, but I'm telling you. You know what I mean, right, because like when you're when you're very very much grow like when you're you're in your thirties, like you don't need permission. Yeah, So again it's more of a formality of like letting you know, no baby dad said no. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like maybe next time we didn't clean room. Maybe if you really really like I want to be with a woman, but you don't want to make that commitment, maybe you can just like get on her dad's bad side and just blame it all on him like I would ask you, but you know, could be cool with it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's the easy way out. Guys. If you're in one of those relationships where you're kind of finding it hard to break off, just piss off their dad and then try to ask them can I marry camera.
Speaker 2: That'll speed up the process to end it. I believe, I really do, really organic all right. Uh so, before we get back into the college football playof stuff, which I want to talk about these matchups in our final segment coming up here. On the other side. We are going to be a little bit earlier today, uh, because we've got I think some women's basketball coming up. But when it comes to Louisville basketball tomorrow, a couple of people have asked about tray Ora if he's gonna play. I think Pat Kelsey actually might have said word for word that he knows tray Orra is not playing against Florida State tomorrow. But I wouldn't be shocked if he's back against North Carolina. I think that there's a real possibility that could happen, maybe even Eku, which I think that game is before Carolina. I think it is. Let me double check here, Yeah, you play. So you got two straight weeks with no games during the week obviously I had the week off this week, and then they will not play again until next Saturday when they do play Eku. So maybe that's when he is back. And I'm a little worried that that. Well, honey, people probably don't even have that high of an opinion on on trail Ray because he was one of the bigger names you heard about that did decide to transfer here to Louisville. He wasn't you know, the level of a prior or a chucky Hepburn or even a korin Johnson. He's a nice piece. I was always really high on him, and he did not necessarily live up to that in the first couple of games we saw. So what I was getting ready to say is I'm worry about like maybe I'm maybe I'm hyping him up too much, but I just I just think a guy that you know can defend and that you know can rebound and is another body like that alone is going to help you. Now how much it's going to help you, I'm not sure, but like anything you get from him is better than which is a good thing because he's not been available and you are very very thin. So I'm kind of I'm kind of cautiously optimistic that this guy could really change some things for you because he's in If you go back and look at his stats at Long Beach State, I mean, he was kind of a jack of all trades, a guy who really stuffed the stat sheet, but he made his biggest impact doing everything but scoring. However he did he did actually score. I mean, he was a guy that I mean, and I'm trying to pull up his stats here, but at Long Beach State, cater Treo ra Here's his stat line what he averaged, because it's really a rare stat line. Twelve points, eight and a half rebounds, in four and a half assists. He also had a triple double in two games last season. And this is a six foot four five forward. Like I don't I wouldn't call him a guard, but then again, like I also don't really know if i'd call him a big man, Like I guess he's just a true tweener. But he's not a shooter, so he's not really gonna help you out there. But one of the best things about him is that he knows who he is as a player, Like he's not out there trying to do something that is without that is outside of his game. And he's also not going to jack up a lot of threes, which I think now is a good thing because one, he's not a great shooter. And I thought, you know, we can all I think we can all agree they at times, they've been they've been too trigger happy with a three, despite Pat Kelsey wanting that to be really what they do and a big part of their their identity. At times he can just get a little you know, we've all you know, we watched this team. We know at times when when we see them shoot thirty plus three is a game we're thinking abou ourselves, like Jesus, we get it. But you don't have to fire it up as much as you are so you know, rebounding in defense, that stuff matters. But when it comes to his assists, I mean four and a half is not like super impressive, But I actually feel like because like if they do trust that that ability from him as far as being a distributor, I wouldn't be shocked at all if when you get into the half court and you know, you are trying to figure out what formula you have to get you a decent look, Like what can you do? Like things we've seen recently, they've they've run some direct sets for rain Smith. They let Chucky kind of, you know, pick his spots and isolate when he can, and that works at times. Terrence Edwards Junior're coming off the pick and roll really kind of figuring out, you know, you know, picking his spots as well. If Trey or can be a guy that can distribute in the half court and you know, make life a little easier for guys like Noah Waterman and Javon Hadley, or maybe he finds rain Smith in the corner for a three. I mean again, I'm cautiously optimistic that Louisville will become not a substantially better team, and it may not even show up in the points department. But I think this guy can help. And you know he's not gonna be back tomorrow, it sounds like, but soon. And you know that can help this team. Now, how much we'll have to see quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We'll tell you what the payouts are as far as what the monetary value is to be being in this college football playoff. Stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us as we we usually take you till six o'clock. We've hat it. We don't have that much time this time around, though, so we'll make the most of what we have. When it comes to tonight'skin, We've talked about this one. I think Indiana's got a chance to not just cover, but maybe win. We'll see. Maybe I'm way off and maybe the Hoosiers get humbled here. But the rest of the games, I'm starting to sense that Tennessee is becoming like a trendy upset pick. I don't know if that's if that's just because people think that Ohio State is that checked out, but I mean, you got to keep in mind that would be I mean, that would be disastrous for Ryan Day. I mean, it's already been kind of a disastrous season in a weird way for him, just because of what was invested in the roster, and and they had been getting beat by Michigan and then Harball leaves, Michigan takes a big step back, and yet they still beat you. So I have a hard time seeing that happen. And honestly, more than anything, it's because Tennessee's one of those teams that I think is pretty good, but I'm not sure how good. You know. I think they're clearly a talented team. They've got a high powered offense, but well, the hopewed offense didn't really deliver as much this year as I think they were expecting under Josh Hypel. But I just have a hard time seeing that actually being a win for Tennessee. But maybe I'm wrong. And then Texas and Clemson. You know, Texas is believed to be like loaded with talent and they're in the playoff with you know, a good seed because you know they're good, but they're one of those teams where they also just because of how the schedules set up, you know, there's no loss that says that they're bad. I mean, they lost to Georgia twice, that was it, but they also didn't end up really playing anybody. That like was a statement. So in a weird way, we're kind of gonna get it. We're kind of geting. We're gonna get a chance to see just how like is Texas real or not because they even't had the opportunity to play a team like Clemson this year. I mean, well, I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Clemson took a step back this year and really only got in because they won their way in and they're they're the last seed in this whole thing. But yeah, I I don't I don't think Clemson will win. But I'm also kind of shocked at the spreads. As big as it is because I just don't think you know, to me, Texas is good, but I think Dabble can cover twelve and a half. I mean, maybe I'm wrong. And then the SMU Penn State game, that would is it me or has this been the game Austin that like people have talked about the least, the only thing people have mentioned that they might not sell out, Like this game has no juice at all. It's the noon game tomorrow. And I mean, probably not a good thing to be saying about a lot of these teams here, because there's nothing that says they're bad. And but but Penn State, Texas, and Indiana I think are all a SMU. They're all teams that you really can't like they beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and the teams that they lost to were all like understandable losses that didn't really put a put a stain on their resume. I do this all the time. I mean, there are there are many records in college because you only play twelve regular season games, like, there are so many instances, in so many ways, you can end up at the end of the year really not knowing if you're very good or not. And I would, and I hate that, you know, I want to know every week where my team stands. And all these teams, there's not a single one of the twelve that I think are frauds and like they're not any good, but there are you know, there are some that if you've got haters and doubters of a few of these teams, they certainly have I guess, you know, maybe not evidence that proves one way or the other, but it certainly leaves it open for doubt if a team is like as good as advertised. And maybe I'm just basing it off of the most recent performance from Texas, but man, that SEC Championship game between those two teams, I mean, it was lousy, like it well it was. It was not a good game at all. And that doesn't mean because it wasn't It wasn't like super entertaining that the teams aren't good, but like it just looked like two decent teams out there. And I know that's not the case, but like, if you didn't know that you were watching the SEC Championship game and you were just watching those two teams play, I don't think it would have been a good look for either of them. But again, maybe that was maybe that was an outlier. All right, I'm trying to to to well. I was gonna check and see if we've had If we don't have enough time to get into what I wanted to get into, but I will. I will use the little time we have to just give you another example of how you can clearly tell the Kentucky football fan base really hates their coach and they are not happy with everything. So check this out. Austin, the UK Athletics twitter account tweeted this out bb In, thank you for joining us at Krogerfield this past season. This is a reminder to please clean up tailgate areas by this weekend. Season long tailgaters, please clean up areas and remove tents. If not removed by this weekend, leftover items will be subject to removal. Which I don't think that's like a crazy thing to put out there, but it is a sign of not reading the room. Let me give you some of the responses here. I don't tailgate, but this is a reminder to polase fire the underachieving, underachieving head football coach and hire someone who cares to win for this home crowd. This says, read the room, guys should probably just clean it up and hope somebody shows up next season. Will I will, if Mark will? Can we clean up the coaching staff as well? How do you claim a season long tailgate? You have such strict rules for tailgating along. I should have read that one ahead of time that was going to go in the direction I can't go. This says, this is a reminder to get a coach who wins football games. I mean auction the trailers that are left to fund nil and Stoops's buyouts, like they hate their football program right now, and I'm kind of enjoying that. But anyways, any big plans for you this weekend other than just enjoying all the sports we're gonna have.
Speaker 3: Yep, we're gonna do that. And then any Christmas events I just said, we might go. I forget what the places called, but it's out there in like Paris Town or like that that like you walk.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, Paristown Hall area where they've got like the ice skating stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, No, it's it's something else. Maybe I'm thinking off of like River Road. It's it's like a hole lit up like guard yeah yeah, oh yeahard or something.
Speaker 2: I looked at it. I looked at it yesterday because we were gonna go and they weren't. They they're only open on the weekends. But yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. It looks beautiful and there's no better time to do it because Christmas is almost here, right.
Speaker 3: That's right. And I'm going Sunday Vikings, Vikings and Seahawks.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Girsels.
Speaker 3: It's a big Vikings bar and they're actually having some guys from U some people from the Minnesota Vikings like organization down there, and some cheerleaders because they're going out to I guess they send people out to scout some of the bars and stuff, and they should be doing some stuff, so it should be funny at the reserve tables so.
Speaker 2: They figure out, like in different cities, which place is like the watch spot. That's right, Yeah, yeah, that's really cool, good stuff. All right, We'll have a good weekend. Everybody enjoy it, and we'll be back at it on Monday right here on Sports Talk seven ninety
Speaker 1: US