Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services in sure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Absolutely everybody, Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on.
Speaker 3: The Thursday.
Speaker 4: Welcome.
Speaker 5: You have year.
Speaker 6: BigGAN Zalla Binger's in here at Del's home. You know I'm here, I can I can show up once a month.
Speaker 5: And brought along Greg Hanson from the daily start from nineteen eighty two and today.
Speaker 6: You know, I was thinking, I mean, this is like one hundred and twenty years of Tucson sports knowledge sitting at this table right here.
Speaker 5: That that and two dollars will give us a two dollars Is that?
Speaker 6: Is that a compliment or is that a well?
Speaker 2: The guy that puts us over the edge is Greg forty five, but my thirty eight year forty two. That's right.
Speaker 6: So we're here at casino. Del sold the sole sports sports book. We've got Greg Hanson joining us for the two hours. Greg obviously got nothing better to do with his life than hang with us for a while.
Speaker 2: Right, you can't use the mile. You can't do miles on this trip here for your taxes. Yeah, okay, but.
Speaker 6: We're gonna be here for a couple hours leading into the first college football semi final tonight Notre Dame and UH and Penn State. There's also another game tomorrow and then the NFL playoffs get started this weekend. So if you're inclined to come and hang out watch the big screens here, put a little wager down. This is a great place to do that. It's a it's a great venue. I love it here. Might stick around for a little while after the show. Yeah, that's that's a smart move. It starts at five thirty. Yeah, the game starts at five thirty.
Speaker 2: Starts a five thirty, so you know, you might linger and have some fun of a cocktail. And we have some some sales here right right, We've got we've got some specials to talk about. Let me let me get him up here because Veronica kindly sent him over. But as always, they've got uh, they got some some great uh some great names for some.
Speaker 6: Of the for some of the specials. So Sunshow is still there, Sunshae, let me fight. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: The the the drinks of the of the weekend are let me see where are they?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: I don't have that anyway, but there's some UFC stuff going on on Saturday as well. Uh, you can do all the all the betting on on kiosk here is if you don't feel like saying the line, or if you're like me, you like to go to the window, get a piece of paper, uh and watch your and watch your uh uh watch your game win. So but we are gonna be here for a couple of hours as we are once a month, and then we're gonna do this again one more time as we head into the Super Bowl next next month.
Speaker 2: So yeah, sure, a lot of fun. Hey, a big day to day at you A right? U A football kind of they're trying to save save the future, so good, good moves, guys. What do you think I mean? I think so oh.
Speaker 5: I thought it would be a stand up double if they hired the Boise State defensive coordinator who I thought was in the in the pitcher and they end up getting Joe Salavea is there assistant head coach and elevate Danny Gonzalez to defensive coordinator former head coach in New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Right, I think it's more like a home run. I agree, And here's here's the things that, you know. I've come to.
Speaker 6: The realization that, you know, the football offseason, people want to get caught up in who's getting recruited, who's in the portal, who's coming out of the portal, who are they getting who are the recruits. You're not going to know anything about this team until you see them on the field in September. Don't you think, I mean anymore, you can't. You can't even glean anything from spring practice. You think you got good guys, and you don't know if you like the guys. I mean, who thought as he was going to be good last year?
Speaker 2: Not me, not you?
Speaker 5: Right, So that's the best example. Nobody knew they were going to be good because they're a picked last right. And that's so.
Speaker 2: Do you think if you win the portal? If you win the portal and what winning means, I don't know? Right, Well, that's the question. You win, You win the portal, and then you win in September. Yeah, I mean, but here's the thing. You don't know if you've won the portal, Well, you don't know, you know. I Mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 6: I remember when Bill Bill Norton left, Okay, guy came from he came in from Georgia, had a great year with a you know, on the defensive line. I saw camp Scataboo make a format out of him in you know, in the in the bowl game or in the playoff game last week.
Speaker 2: You know at Texas. How many plays did he play? Maybe eight? Ten plays? Sure he's get he played about five plays per game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, I'm sure he got a bunch of money to do that. But you know, Arizona loses a guy and how good was he? He was great for Arizona, but was he Texas good? Apparently not? So you don't know, Steve, I think I think, you know, Arizona maybe getting all these guys. There's the receiver they got yesterday from Chattanooga, you know, an All American FCS guy. He might be Jacob Colling, or he might be we don't know, somebody else. And that's the weird thing is that we're not going to know. Do we see these guys on the field?
Speaker 2: Greg, would you happen to know, and I don't know if you want to disclose, but would you happen to know what the the NIL budget? If there is a budget? And what would you guess? All right here?
Speaker 5: I talked last week to Gary Bernardi, head recruiting coach here for like seven years. His son's now the offensive line coach at West Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky Kentucky came after one of their alignement. Gary said they offered him three hundred thousand and he turned it down. He was going to stick with his buddies. They appealed to him. Two weeks later, Kentucky offered him five hundred thousand, and he left. Wow, I believe that one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 7: We can Play's going to tell you that because his son told him that, you know, you got our first gem. All right, So if Kentucky's paying five hundred thousand for a Western Kentucky offensive lineman, right, it's outrageous.
Speaker 2: Messed up, It's just messed up. Yeah, who's going to go for what? Right? I saw yesterday in a story where he is eleven. I guess from the issue the quarterback his estimation is three million, three million for him?
Speaker 5: Who who in Phoenix is going to give him three million dollars.
Speaker 6: Or if it's three million, he's going to go if that's his market price in ASU doesn't give it to him and somebody else does.
Speaker 2: That's where he's going to go. That's what his value is. And he's staying so so he's just one man. He's just one guy.
Speaker 5: How did he get so out of whack so fast? I don't know the price of winning has gone to.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean what I mean, everybody, we all heard, whether it's true or not, that cam Ward got two million dollars in Miami. I mean, what's a what's a college? I look, we're doing get off my lawn kind of stuff here. But it's amazing that that the market is at. I mean, you know, we had Mberto Lopez on when you know it started, when when all this you know came fruition with you know, uh Team AC and all those guys staying and Umberto had you know, signed a contract with him with Team Act to do stuff for him. He didn't disclose how much he got, but you had to be it had to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 5: In the same with right, That's why he's still here. Probably, yeah, well this is this is this thing.
Speaker 2: And you know them, Greg, I know a few of them, the people with the money.
Speaker 5: Shouldn't you or wouldn't you have buyer's remorse. Oh and if you got to renew it this coming year, it goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, are you saying I paid this for that and you asking for more? And what if they're not any good? That's it. You know.
Speaker 6: Let's let's say you entice a guy from Chattanooga to come here, say okay, we're gonna give you X.
Speaker 2: Then he comes here and he socks. You know, what do you think about that investment?
Speaker 6: And what do you think about that investment the next time you get asked to make it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I hey, I'm god, I don't have any money. No one's calling me, no one's calling me.
Speaker 5: His performance was not worth one hundred thousand dollars that last year, Probably got paid more, probably get more of this coming year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, you hope that the new the new offensive coordinator you know, can can fix that. And you know, you like to think that, you know, a youthful guy with a youthful look at how offenses worked, that might get Fefeeda's value back up. But then again, you know what about what happens after that? And and and if you were if you were the one, whoever it is in Tucson, that's paying nor Fefeita. You know, he's got the tuss on in your National Airport ad that he's doing and stuff like that. Uh, you know, if you're paying no Affida, you know, are you paying him again this year based on what he did last year? I mean, as a businessman, you'd think that wasn't a good investment. But on the other hand, if you think he's got potential, then maybe they maybe it is.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking Arizona's budget for NIL football isn't that huge because the players are getting are from low level schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mercy, Yeah, Chattanooga. Yeah. You just hope that they're good. You just hope that they're good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, and and and you know, you hear you hear coaches talk about the fact that I'd rather have a kid from a winning group.
Speaker 2: Of four an FCS program.
Speaker 6: He's got two years under his belt than a high school kid that we think we think might be good but as yet to be hitting the mouth in the college game. And that those guys, you know, you'll they'll take that experience over over somebody brand new, And you take your chances with those guys.
Speaker 2: Gif you do both this, Okay, so you got this team and you're the coach. Now, I'm curious, Greg, if a coach or to pastor president from other schools are here have told you I don't like coaching in this situation. The kids will making one fifty fifty add more, and here I am having to yell at them and tell them and by blah blah, and they're probably saying in their mind, shut the hell.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how does the UCLA basketball players bringing in two fifty think about what Mick Cronan said about him last night?
Speaker 2: Exactly, you don't want me to play for you even more? Ad there. I would have fired him yesterday. But his payouts too much? Is it? Really?
Speaker 6: Who would come to play for him? We've been saying that for years, Greg, but they keep coming.
Speaker 2: There are averaging fifty nine points a game at UCLA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're averaging fifty five hundred fans per home game. And if he hadn't inherited Homi Hawky has and Tyger Campbell, he would have been fired already.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know. That was crazy. So I got off the subject there, but you know, but agree, Steve.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is it's turned everything upside down, and we know that, and and that's the way it is.
Speaker 2: But you just wonder, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Maybe we'll see, we'll see things figure themselves out when the whole revenue sharing things starts, you know, in the in the fall or in the summer.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: And that's what a lot of people are saying, is that, Okay, when everybody's paying out of their coffers, you know, how does it change and how important does nil come?
Speaker 2: Is it still going to be important?
Speaker 6: Are you still going to have to go get nil money for guys on top of what the school is paying.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no question that's going to probably be the case. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think of Ohio stand and all those linemen. They're paying five hundred thousand dollars age. I mean in the coach we were paying.
Speaker 6: He said two million, he said yeah, he said they had no twenty million, twelve twelve something, you know, multiple millions you know for for uh in nil for that team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense when you're trying to buy a championship and you may not even buy the championship, Well, you still got to win some games. Win some games.
Speaker 5: That's the other thing to get the players guess what they still have to be coached. Yeah, don't end me the coaches, and you better be damn good if you're a coach, because guess what, your your your length of stay is not good unless you're winning. That was the case before, but now it's now it's quickly.
Speaker 6: Well, let me throw this out there from a from a basketball standpoint, at a UFA basketball standpoint. You know the top that I have with, you know the you know the people that I hang with and stuff. A lot of discussion about how Arizona has suddenly flipped a switch or something and that and what it and the way the way we're diagnosing it is that you know, the three guards out there, love love, Bradley and and uh and kJ Lewis just didn't seem to be on the same page. And all of a sudden something happened, and maybe Tommy Lloyd said if I'm Tommy and said, Okay, I don't know how much money you guys are making, or maybe I do know how much, but you're not going to keep making that money if you guys don't get your stuff together and start playing together better. Right your you know your NBA stock and you guys are trying to It looked to us like they're each one of those guys was trying to get his own and that seemed there was just a lot of dysfunction in the way they they ran around.
Speaker 2: That's what your group is like, call it just came up and that's what we came up with.
Speaker 6: And that and and that each was trying to get his own, whether it was to get in the NBA, whether it was to make more money or whatever, and it wasn't working there they're four and five, and maybe Tom got to them and said, guys, whatever you think you're doing, it's not working.
Speaker 2: And something happened.
Speaker 6: That's how we've diagnosed what's happened with this team over the last several games.
Speaker 2: I have a different thought, But what's your thoughts. You can't take the money away from them, right, you can't take it away from them.
Speaker 6: But if you're crappy, you're not going to make a bunch more money next year because if you're Caleb Love, you're not getting get drafted or kJ Lewis or whatever. And if you stay, who's going to give you money if your team doesn't make NC double a tournament?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean kJ Lewis next year would be in New.
Speaker 6: Mexico right right that And so I'd like to think that somewhere along the line, whether it was Tommy or somebody else, said, you guys got it.
Speaker 2: You guys got to work this out. So the group that you hang with a few of them ten maybe I was give you ten have said this team has gotten better, Yes, the better. See, in my thoughts, maybe they played teams that they're just better than bingo bingo, and guess what they'll They'll play the next two teams better than they are. You know, they're better than But when the teams like Iowa State in the Houston's an not that come in, you're gonna say, well, they're not as good. Well, they're just they're playing better teams. But the teams okay, West Virginia, West Virginia kicked a living crap out of them, though there was a one off I could have been a one off, but that's one.
Speaker 6: But that's my point, Steve, is that they were playing like crap during all that time. But you know, you know Wisconsin and and and uh and you see, I mean you see Las turned out to be not a very good team.
Speaker 2: That they that they.
Speaker 5: Lost for Michigan is a pretty damn good play team as well. I don't know you were going to agree with me for a Right before the Cincinnati game, I went down their schedule and went, I wish I was a place where I could bet, because they're not any good. They've beaten nobody. Yeah, they've beaten nobody. So I wasn't surprised when Arizona pounded them. Yeah, and I looked at West Virginia's and I know they didn't have their guy. Yeah, they didn't have their guy, and that to me, it was a big difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, I don't know, but they but Steve, it's still looks better.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no question. It looks better what they're doing there.
Speaker 6: There seems to be you know, I remember last time we talked about this, you know, I said that it looks like chaos over there, and and and it just looks better now.
Speaker 2: No, it does look better. They're playing better together, at least part the Naked eye or whatever. But we gotta go. We gotta go. Before we go, we're gonna have Greg for two hours, right right, We're gonna have eron Torres at four seven.
Speaker 6: Eritor is gonna join us at four seventeen on the phone. We're here at Soul Sports sports Book at Casino Del Soul. If you've got some burning questions or we had something you wanted to ask Greg Hansen for your entire life, he's here and he's gonna have to answer.
Speaker 2: Step up and answer right there. You can't leave.
Speaker 6: We've got to attached to the headphones, all right, So stick around. We're gonna be back and we'll have some more talk with with Greg Ansen.
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 8: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, two world class entertainment to a luxurious reason.
Speaker 9: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 9: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Enterprise of fascoa.
Speaker 10: Yuki try The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the.
Speaker 2: Equipment you need to reach your.
Speaker 12: Goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 13: Lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of will Not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 14: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from.
Speaker 9: Don't forget your corporate apparel.
Speaker 14: For a great sharp look into our twenty five visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 15: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation, visit volte team dot com. That's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three h eight seven, arizon A b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity. Got to commitment to Lyndrixson Credit greats and available loan programs or subtic to change with um notice.
Speaker 9: Did you know?
Speaker 16: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 9: And trading card games.
Speaker 16: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit the East Breedway and discover white collectors everywhere.
Speaker 9: The show tad cars for their passion.
Speaker 17: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than memory. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score.
Speaker 9: You can borrow better with premid.
Speaker 17: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one rate Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 11: Got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Knosports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch your league baseball talent from around the globe. Feel the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China, and Columbia take the field.
Speaker 18: Whether you're a lifelong fan or just looking for an unforgettable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March. Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait. Visit World Baseballclassic dot com or SASTFA dot com that's SASFA dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism. In film thirty.
Speaker 19: Basis Eye on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty, I want to take part in the show called up Steam Now went five to two oh four one six seventy four for d.
Speaker 5: Hey, well, let's playing the ball here.
Speaker 2: Is we got a guy head, pretty good head.
Speaker 3: You won't.
Speaker 5: Who your three sports people of the year wi Gang Weber number one? Really okay?
Speaker 2: V John Robinson number two? Okay? And the Laney Snell Okay, okay, Wolfgang? Because did he he didn't win another one?
Speaker 18: Did he?
Speaker 2: Four in a row?
Speaker 3: Plus?
Speaker 5: Okay, I got seven hundred and seventy four wins. He's taking that aparts. Is one more than Dick McConnell in basketball, and McConnell plays so many more games.
Speaker 2: Plus you know soccer. See, yeah, that guy's a he's the he's the grandfather of soccer and Tucson. He's about eighty something seventy eight seventy eight, okay, almost as old as you. That was cheap. I'm sorry you walked to Julian.
Speaker 6: Remind everybody we're here at Soul Sports Sports Book at Casino Del Soul. Would love for you if you came over here in the next couple of hours. Will be here till five o'clock leading into the college football playoff game will be run on ESPN tonight.
Speaker 2: Noted Dame in Penn State. But I you know, I didn't get a chance to read it. Are we in it? In what top one hundred. Like you said, what I was just receiving. There's a different list for you. J there's a different list you quit.
Speaker 6: So I look, dude, I'm in my third or fifth year of stat keeping. It doesn't that count for something? Wait till the Pima College Sports Hall Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so we're talking to football obviously. Let me ask you a question. This is here question gree Uh, you're still doing columns for the Star and doing kind of the profiles Wendy just on Sunday, how would how would you have handled this year's football season? Critical?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 5: Insight? How would you have handled it? Because they were not any good? They were bad? I mean they were historically and you can lie to me here, but but I'm asking you a serious question. I'm glad I wasn't on it regularly because I really liked Dino Babors. Anybody who's been around him, Yeah, that guy's the first smart, smarty and he just mailed it in. He did buy out.
Speaker 2: Babors came in and did Kevin someone and I I didn't have.
Speaker 6: To write about that, and I and I that's how I kind of felt like, any man, this is the offense you ran in the you know, in the late nineties, and it doesn't work anymore. That's not how it works anymore. And and and the thing was that they persisted with that the whole nothing changed from game to game.
Speaker 2: You know, he had not called play since two thousand in a two Wow.
Speaker 5: Suddenly twenty two years later he's calling plays here. Yeah, yeah, that's not good.
Speaker 2: That's not good. Whose feet do you put that at Brendan's feet?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 6: For doing that and thinking that Babers was gonna good or did Babers convince him I can do this?
Speaker 5: Well maybe a little bit about it. The Babors called me, I would said wow, I would have thought, yeah, how could we get a better guy than this Syracuse head coach? And then if you look at his background, though Syracuse was off looks at one ear, he did well bowling Green and they did well this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah without his hand, wins without him. So so you talk about Babors, what about Brennan though you know him, you've done it for a long time. He came in and he was not dynamic. I mean, that's no better where I could find. It was just non dynamic. How would have that been?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: He had no edge to him. He had no presence. This is my opinion. Yeah, of course, now you're you're I think you're right.
Speaker 5: TV cameras a few times they showed him. He looked just like a spectator. How often do you see a head coach who are just standing there and okay, so that's what he's done this year. Don't you think, against whatever odds, that he has to change that. If you can't be that again, the.
Speaker 2: New athletic director, she's not gonna let that go on again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, yeah, you can't be Mike Stoops. But you there's today. In today's you know, college sports world, appearances are more important than they used to be. You can't be Dick Tomy on the sidelines anymore, which is what Brent Brannan was.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would see Dick, you know, get fired up a time, you know, and we can see Brent Brennan get fired up once in a while. But you're right, Dick would walk the sidelines and you say, who's doing the coaching right? And now they were good and you know a lot of times and so you thought, okay, he's got guys. But in this case, you know that the offense was so terrible, and you just didn't feel like Brennan was in control of that.
Speaker 2: For some reason.
Speaker 5: To me, he looks more like a head football coach and Jed Fish, but Fish would hold a play calling sheet up in front of his face, he put on headphones, he'd wear Advisor, and suddenly he looked.
Speaker 2: Like a coach. People thought he was doing something when he was thought he.
Speaker 5: Was calling, didn't have earphones on, nothing, to the point where people were getting pissed at his wearing those lays.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so if it's not I'm Brent, and he has to have assistance who are very capable, right, who are the if he's the CEO, if you will, because that's what Jed kind of was or whatever, so we thought that his assistants had to be carrying the shimp.
Speaker 5: The one thing I would say about Brandon how he's changed since the season ended, is he fired the defensive line coach, Joe Simalo, who'd been with him for seven years at San Jose State, and it's about the nicest man you've ever met. He had to fire him in the last couple of days so that he finally had to do a real, real hard thing. Instead of just riding it out with his.
Speaker 6: Boy and realizing that he can't just come here and load up with his friends and coach in in in in the FBS at the FBS level, at the Power four level. You know that maybe those guys and and I think you know he said this a couple of times, maybe this coaching staff got in over its head. Now you hope that in the year, the year of experience that they have, that they've they've figured some of those things out. But that's what it seemed like to me, like they were in over their heads and didn't realize just like players do. Right, You come from high school and you're playing at the U of A and you realize the holy hell, you know, so.
Speaker 2: How do you how do you overcome that? If that's who you are, that's the thing that's my question.
Speaker 6: Like everybody else, you grow into your job, you know, Brent Brandan, it's not too old to learn and grow into a job.
Speaker 2: And but the question is can he and will he do that?
Speaker 5: Look at the look at the unchangeable guys, Rich Rodriguez, right, didn't hasn't changed, won't change.
Speaker 2: So it'sohn Brannan. You can't be like Rich Rodriguez. Right, it's certainly, I mean for thinking this.
Speaker 6: He's been told this, yes, sure by somebody, whether it's the ad, whether it's been a booster, a supporter, or whatever it said. Brent, you got to look like you're in the middle of all of this, and the way you look last year isn't going to work anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is not just about him too, though. Now you have kids who are here to play for you, and all of a sudden, this is strange. This is a different guy that wasn't here last year. You know, your parents. You just either you're a good parent or you're a bad parent. And you come in the next year and think, all of a sudden you have the belt. You have the belt. The belt. Okay, but let me ask you.
Speaker 6: Were you a better parent from the time you went your kids were born to when they were ten, they were fifteen, to they were twenty or were you the same parent the whole week?
Speaker 2: Probably the same parent. Yeah, I thought I grew as it. I didn't know crap about raising kids. No, I thought I did. I was came from the school of my dad. Give him a look and that fixed thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, see I came from the school of my dad too and said, you know, I'm not going to that school as a parent, right and and so you do you do things differently. And you know what, It's funny because I'm different as a grandfather to that little course, to that little rat.
Speaker 2: That we've got that I woke to Mike. That kid can get away with anything. That's that's the obvious book.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your parents, your kids were saying you never did that bus Yeah wait wait wait, I did that and I got in trouble. No, you didn't get in trouble that. You never got in trouble. You. I'm gonna show you trouble. I'll show you trouble. To my point is, it's a different dynamic. How is he going to change when you have another fifty forty guys who stayed here and have and played for you. Now they have to play different because the different coach. Uh, he's up against it. I just think he's up against it. Sure, he's up against it. But I have a good example. Rich Rodriguez Hard twenty twelve. Jose Alive is on the leftover staff, I mean an icon and football. Rich Rod tells him to buzz off didn't hire him, brings in his own guy, sixty six year old Bill Krolic, remember coach a defensive line.
Speaker 5: He was awful, He wouldn't recruit. I saw him at the Tucson Airport one night, just randomly. He everything was an f bomb. Just got back from f and Frozno, what a waste of eff and time? Sent me out there to recruit somebody. And then rich Rod fired him finally four years later, but by then Salive was a star at Oregon.
Speaker 2: So at least.
Speaker 5: Brannan now brings back Salive, a guy when he's, you know, an industry standard and has to fire his buddy.
Speaker 6: Yes, And I think that I think that says a lot about again, your growth, as you know, in a job like that, where he's come to the realization that I got to get guys who can coach, not guys who are just my friends.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a loyal to. He'll have to And I think I said this arrest us to the guys in the studio this week. How many wins minimal does he have to win this year this coming year? Seven minimalis that's a that's a tall task, Jake.
Speaker 6: He's still got players he's still got the most important position that you have to have, and that's a quarterback who who has shown that he can be really good.
Speaker 2: I think he's I mean maybe it's six. Maybe it's getting to a bowl game.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably right though, But is he is he? Is it gonna happen? Seven? Oh? It can.
Speaker 6: But you know I and I say that only because a SU you're just right using them. Yeah, I mean their case study. They were because because year before last they were not only not good, they were really, really really bad. You look at what Arizona did to them. I mean that was that was you know, determine that we using my kids. That was Saint Gregory against Greenfields right in basketball, you'd beat him eighty to four. That's what that That's that's who as U was. And then they flipped it in one year. So it can be done.
Speaker 2: Give me a number.
Speaker 5: You know, they played Kansas State and that third game, I win the first two. If they can beat Kansas State here, that would give them three, and I think they could win three more to get into six. I wouldn't go beyond six right now. I mean I've been in this room once when Arizona's in Vegas as are one and a half, and my buddy put a lot of money on Arizona winning.
Speaker 2: Two and we didn't get it. Don't say anything that seven seven is a tough time. Well, I think the way he posts the question is what what do I think fans will be? Okay? Well, no, no, no, I don't care about fans. I'm telling you, Desiree, she's the way I think.
Speaker 6: I think if he wins six and it's a good six, right, maybe they have a surprise win, right. Uh, you know some you know, I don't want to cause a statement when we thought the Utah game was a statement win last year and it turned out to just be what should have happened. Right, But you know, you you beat uh, you know, you beat b y u or and then you beat as here or whatever. I think six wins will work. Seven wins might not be enough if it's a bad seven, right. So, but I think if they get to a bowl game, we're coming off of four of a four and eight year, you know, he gets more time.
Speaker 5: The key component here is Desiree. Yeah, because she didn't hire him, m hm, you don't know what she thinks of him. Maybe she has a guy in mind. She loved Marcus Royal, she hired at U and OLV and has no issues coordinator. Maybe she's just not gonna Maybe she won't be willing to go to the next actually are to them, and she has yet to make the mark with something like that. Well again, and I agree that. I mean, if he has a losing season next year, he's gone. I would I mean he was almost gone this year, right after one year.
Speaker 2: There's some there's some questions about it. Yeah, so we got to go right Yeah, where we are we do?
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, we're gonna take our break. We're here at Soul Sports Sportsbook. We're gonna coming up after the break, Jeffrey Lynnheimer, the manager of the sports book, will join us. We'll talk some more of the gambling stuff going on here at the book. If you want to come by it. It's a great venue, a great place to watch, great place to eat, great place to drink and have fun. You got the Nordre Dame Penn State College football playoff game coming on at five point thirty, so stick around ward.
Speaker 2: It's all sports sports book. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lut. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 20: Hi, this is former Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your Italian Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot Arizona Health to lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement. How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial data available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate.
Speaker 9: You need to prepare for the career you want.
Speaker 14: PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 9: Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 5: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a fender vender or a leaky roofed, they've got you don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Tempble or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Army Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand Tuyson.
Speaker 14: It's time for the Call of Guarden Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson can Quisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its fest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and coet So live in concert at Rito Park the Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences, benefiting Colo Rectal Cancer awareness in Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fall Bomb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 19: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 5: Hey, welcome back to Way on the Ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Rivera. I have my eye on day gonzolate. I have to Now we have Jeffrey Linndheimer, the manager here at sol Sport. What's that I think having Jeff.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much and I hope all you you and all your listeners at a great.
Speaker 4: Christmas in New Years this place rocking for New Year's Yes, absolutely, they were rocking and rolling in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I bet good time. Yes it was.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, you had that that postponement of the of the night game that day. How did that affect things or did it just get you more in the book of since they played it the next day.
Speaker 4: Well, our house rules state that football games must be played on the date.
Speaker 3: Uh and scheduled venue.
Speaker 4: So actually, anybody that bet that up until the post bone and just had no action on that game, so they have to re buy it exactly and then and then the uh uh the corrected date went up at about noon.
Speaker 3: On New Year's Day, and everybody that betted after that of course had action.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, how are you gonna settle out?
Speaker 6: You got a similar thing coming up right with the possibility that that rams uh uh, the Rams Minnesota Minnesota game might have moved to Phoenix.
Speaker 2: What happens there?
Speaker 3: I heard about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Rams Rams uh many might get moved uh to Monday and possibly a change of you. So uh again, if you you bet it and and uh what Sunday is the is the date. If it gets postponed, it will be no action. But that's just the way it happens sometimes.
Speaker 2: Is that rules here or everywhere?
Speaker 3: That's rules here.
Speaker 4: Each individual sportsbook will have their own uh house roles on that one. But if they do change the venue, I would expect the points spread on that one to change. Right now, You've got Vikings a one and a half point favorite. They go to a neutral site, you might see the Rams getting two and a half possibly even three of the dog favorite or something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, So how how has the action been on on the playoffs? Has that been a boon for you guys for the college football playoffs for you know, more more interest, more activity on on those particular games as opposed to bowl games in the past.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Now that we're down to the final four, we're getting a lot of action on on on on all sides, all four of those teams.
Speaker 3: We're getting bets on them.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: And tonight's game, we have Notre Dame slight favorite over Penn State and they're about a one point favorite and.
Speaker 3: The total is forty five. So I can tell you the sharp money on the under in that game I heard tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of that.
Speaker 6: It's forty five and a half or something like that.
Speaker 4: Went from forty five, it came back to under forty forty five. And I'm here in Notre Dame's looking to run on the ball. So there's some smart money on that side. But you know, forty five is alone enough totally. It can go over that just by accident. So that's why that's why they call it gambling. That Texas game was under the other day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure this place was pretty packed for the ESHU game given the situation.
Speaker 4: Oh that was crazy. That was an insane game. And what a comeback by Asu they had. They were down sixteen with about eight and a half left touchdowns to to two point conversions.
Speaker 3: Then too missed.
Speaker 4: Field goals right by a Texas kicker, and and then uh and then it looks like they had it.
Speaker 3: It was fourth a SU had it. It was fourth and thirteen and.
Speaker 4: Not just probably a probably a four to five to one favorite at that point for fourth and thirteen and and and they got the protection the kid through a touchdown pass and then the first play after that it was another twenty five yard pass and then that was it.
Speaker 5: This might be a dumb question just pertending to that specifically. We know there's a lot of issue people here to go up to tempted to go to school, so the action is different than the Wildcats. Then with the issue, how is it different?
Speaker 18: There is it?
Speaker 3: Oh? It was, it got It got pretty heated in here.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of you know, Texas fans and a SU fans, and uh, yeah, it got it got pretty crazy and for a.
Speaker 2: Little bit security, Now do you guys do live betting here in the games? Absolutely game betting.
Speaker 4: You do absolutely in game betting, uh, even while while the balls and you know what, while there's a drive going on, and of course during the commercial breaks as well, there's uh the lines constantly getting updated.
Speaker 6: Well, let me ask you about that, and if you in mind, I ask him the question on this, do you guys monitor here and do you change do you decide whether you change a line or not? Or do you follow somebody out there that you know? Do you just do you keep an eye on all of it? I mean, what what would cause you to change a line on a game? Uh that you're doing here?
Speaker 4: Well, we have somebody handling the uh the line part of it, moving the lines. I will call them to adjust the line based on on on my experience and and uh what I know about a game and what other lines are out there. Sometimes I'll call and I'll have them adjust the line, and uh I control the uh how much we take on it? It's uh gambling is the formula is edge times volume and the edge that that has to do with uh the spreads we offer and the markets on these games, and then the volume that's uh that's how much good bets. So I'm gonna I'm gonna control the volume part most part, and uh.
Speaker 2: That didn't go out on the air. So so just you talk about all that stuff. I wanted to ask you about the thing that Jay was so intrigued about last time we were with you, is the lines that don't involve teams playing against each oldren I forgot, like you can bet order Dame against Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cross game matchups, yes, you know, yeah that that we have those and as well as all kinds of player props in uh the pro sports. We can't offer player sports in college of uh player props in college of course, but yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Were taking some taking some plays on the on that RAMS game.
Speaker 4: It's uh gonna be very interesting this weekend with the the two l A teams because uh, personally, when I when I see teams that have something extra to play for, like these two l A teams and they're gonna be playing with their town in mind, and uh that's uh that's a very formidable uh force to go up against. And uh usually they're playing those teams or I won't play it.
Speaker 6: You know, we all hear about these massive bets that get put put down in you know, some of the Vegas casinos and whatnot. Uh what what size of a bet would it take for you to say, Okay, we've got to move a line, you know, based on one bet?
Speaker 2: Is is there a number?
Speaker 3: It's not how much we take that moves the line, it's who we take it from that moves the line.
Speaker 9: I might what does that mean?
Speaker 4: It means if a person is uh generally sharper, okay, and you know who they are, Yes, sir, Now.
Speaker 3: Your customer, that's another customer.
Speaker 4: I mean, we might take one hundred thousand dollars bet on a halftime total and not even move it.
Speaker 6: So so if Steve walks in right throws one hundred g's down on a bed, you're not going to do anything.
Speaker 2: You're okay, We're gonna take your money. That's Stay, that's.
Speaker 3: That Stave will take a hundred large from it. My friend Stayed.
Speaker 4: This other Steve I know will take about five hundred from me because he's one of the sharpest guys.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The funny thing is you know who these people are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an important part of the process.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm bad, I bet. Yeah. You get nervous when games like big games happen when you get that this is what you do. But do you get nervous?
Speaker 4: I mean it's exciting, you know, and you want to win. I get emotionally involved. Then again, heck, yeah, I don't. I don't call it nervousness. I call it excitement. And then uh, and sometimes I get disappointed and and and I can get upset, but uh, I let that last for about ten to fifteen minutes, and then I'm and.
Speaker 2: I just gas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thousands and thousands, as.
Speaker 2: We say, you know, take the next bus, that's.
Speaker 3: What you gotta do. Yeah, but sometimes they just disappoint us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Does it ever feel to you like it's your money that's going in and out of here?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: I mean you're managing the business, so you know, your job and all these things rely on you know, you're doing a good business here.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see it that way?
Speaker 6: As you know, I know it's not your money, but do you feel like it may be, you know, because you have a stake in it?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, what what other way is there to feel about it? I want to do the best uh for the book and the uh Paskwayaki tribe. They brought me in here to do to do a job, and I take it very seriously. Yes, yes, sir.
Speaker 2: How many times in a year and there's thousands of game that you want to turn all that stuff you see after the game he said, you know what, guys, that was just a bad line and we kind of knew it, but we couldn't do any with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you can't force the public to bet a certain way that that you want on a game, and you just, uh, but a sports book is gonna hold the percentage they deserve at the end of the at the end of the day, through thousands and thousands of decisions, yeah, you know, and you're gonna be heavy on all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 3: Rarely are you actually balanced on a game.
Speaker 4: But it's, uh, it's the thousands and thousands of decisions that that just even things out.
Speaker 2: Okay, So as a I know sometimes gamble, I guess you would call me. Yeah, that's what I would.
Speaker 14: We we all.
Speaker 6: We always hear about you know. We obviously don't take this advice, but you know, we we get told all the time. The parlays are the sucker bets, you know, but people like those because it's like, okay, make one bed, I got two games and stuff like that, as opposed to just betting X amount on X game or x over under whatever.
Speaker 2: Is that a true statement?
Speaker 3: No, it parlays.
Speaker 4: Actually, you can beat a joint pretty good with the parlays if you have edges and all the selections on the parlays, because the parlay increases volume. So if you're winning at a high percentage, actually, uh, once you reach a certain percentage of over fifty percent, your parlays will bring you a better return than straight that's well, because you're increasing your volume because of the money.
Speaker 2: Snow, well the number would be like fifty five percent, right, if you're you're picking fifty five to fifty six percent.
Speaker 4: Straight bets, if you want to break even, you got to hit about fifty three percent, that's right.
Speaker 3: But if you're hitting a higher percentage than that, parlays can be pretty can work out for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be living with the If you're kind of splitting out, you know, then yeah, straight bet may might might be the way to go.
Speaker 5: But so so here we are in the playoffs with the college and we have the playoffs with the NFL the next few weeks, maybe a month or whatever.
Speaker 2: Before the Super Bowl? Is this the best time of year with.
Speaker 4: It's it's certainly is one of the best times as far as UH, betting interest and and and fan interest goes. And this this this year in college football, this, this is gonna be a great. Uh, it's gonna be a great next couple of weeks. You know, you got Ohio State six tomorrow over Texas, and then uh, they're going to play the winner over the Notre Dame Penn State game. I saw projected lines for all the matchups, and uh.
Speaker 3: This looks like the best.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Texas looks like the best chance to get Ohio State out of there this week as a five and a half six point dog, because they're projecting Ohio State to be seven and a half over a Notre Dame and an eight and a half point favorite over Penn State if they match up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be Yeah, teachers, looks fantastic. I already gave the point. Yeah, yeah, of course, don't tell me what you picked.
Speaker 6: All right, we're here with Jeffrey Lennheimer from the manager of the Soul Sports sports book here at the Casino Del Sold.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey, we all we love the knowledge. Man.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it makes me a better gamber, but I love the knowledge. And I don't know if you sleep. But do you sleep, because you're probably here all the.
Speaker 3: Time, all means by all means, do I sleep? Yes, sir, my second favorite past.
Speaker 6: All right, we can't let you get away with that asking about your daughter and her baseball team.
Speaker 2: How's that going?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, fantastic. In fact, they were they were out in Los Angeles. Uh, she was out there with their ball girls in a tournament and that was a New Year's Eve. And then it's crazy to think that, Uh, what's happened?
Speaker 3: Right left?
Speaker 2: Then awful stuff over there right Well, Jeffer, thanks for being with us again as always, appreciate it, man, and thanks for having us here. We love it. We love being here. There's a lot of fun, my pleasure, gentlemen. Good to see you, bless you on your listeners, Thank you, Thanks you.
Speaker 6: Jeffrey Lennheimer from the Soul Sports Sports Book. Uh, we're about to go to break with this. If we've got another hour here. Our buddy Vic is over here, all geared up in Arizona gear old school a block a over there on on.
Speaker 2: Uh, just good question. Good question. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, and Greg Hanson is going to be back after the break, we're gonna talk some more about you know, some football break break. I'm a working mon dude. We already talked about it exactly with some breaking you. So stick around here, Soul Sports Sports Book. If we got another hour, if you want to come and hang with us for a little bit, we'll be here. Greg Hanson is going to get back with us, and uh we'll kick it around for another hour. So stick around