Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, Trump has kind of floated the idea of maybe backing out of the ABC News debate. On September tenth is where we kick off Swamp Watch.
Speaker 2: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 3: The government doesn't work.
Speaker 4: Mann, make this like a reality TV show, A bad noos.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 4: Hey, Joey, A town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 3: I have a watch of Malarkey.
Speaker 1: Boy, he said, Drained the Swamp.
Speaker 3: I said, oh that's so he keeppph.
Speaker 5: You know the thing, we can't have another dummy as a president.
Speaker 4: Okay, if we can't have another dummy as a president, all right. He was asked if he wants these microphones muted. If you remember during the CNN debate with Joe Biden back in June, when the candidate that wasn't speaking it wasn't his turn, the candidate's microphone would be turned off. That's what and this is the weird math in my head, but that's what the Trunk campaign wants in the September tenth debate is microphones that get turned off.
Speaker 6: Would you want the microphone muted in the debate whenever you're out speaking?
Speaker 5: We agree to the same rules.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 5: I'd rather have it probably on. But the agreement was that it would be the same as it.
Speaker 2: Was last time.
Speaker 5: In that case, it was muted. I didn't like it the last time, but it worked out fine. When asked Biden how it worked out, it was fine. And I think it should be the same. We agreed to the same rules, same rules, the same specifications, and I.
Speaker 3: Think that's probably what it should be. But they're trying to change it.
Speaker 5: The truth is they're trying to get out of it because she doesn't want a debate. She's not a good debater, she's not a smart person. She doesn't want a debate.
Speaker 1: You said this morning that you think that the Harris camp Pain wants the mic to stay unmuted so that they catch him losing it, being unhinged off the cuff, and it's not going to be good for him. That's kind of what his people love, but this isn't really for his people.
Speaker 3: Is it.
Speaker 1: It's for the swing states and the still undecided voters.
Speaker 3: Well, I think her.
Speaker 4: Listen, she didn't get any votes for president, and her best debate moment was when she said to Joe Biden, who would eventually choose her to be his running mate, that she was that little girl. You remember that the whole thing about bussing, and basically she was insinuating that Joe Biden was racist because of his support for bussing or it was an It was a moment. It didn't help her in her presidential run back then, but it was a moment that made its way into the sort of the viral sphere of what is presidential politics. I think that's the only thing I can think is that they would want another moment like that where where Trump kind of gets flustered. He's saying things like she's lying, she's lying in the middle of her answer, so that she can have that moment where she puts her finger up and says, excuse me, I'm speaking now.
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with the Angus Reid Institute? Never heard it, nor have I. It's a nonprofit research organization. It conducted a survey as the DNC formally nominated her as the presidential candidate, and the Angus Reid Institute found that she has extended her lead over former President Trump. They say that the national poll reveals a growing generational and demographic divide in voter preferences. She holds a substantial lead among thirteen eighteen to thirty four year olds, fifty nine percent favor Harris compared to thirty percent for Trump. It's even more pronounced among Black voters, she leads sixty seven percent to sixteen percent. And Hispanic voters she's really he'd been able to claw back some of the voters that abandon Biden, some of the Hispanic voting block. She maintains a fifty seven percent edge over his thirty three percent the poll.
Speaker 3: There was another poll.
Speaker 4: Fairleigh Dickinson University came out their relatively.
Speaker 1: Well regarded poll, the sixteen seat exactly. I only know them from basketball.
Speaker 4: They came out with a poll that suggested it was released on Friday, that said that Harris has a seven point lead nationally. Again, a nationwide pole like that isn't going to be what decides this. This is going to be state by state and we're going to get into more battleground issues. But you've got to throw in the RFK Junior if it makes an impact. We'll see in the next few days the RFK Junior suspending his campaign, throwing his weight behind Donald Trump. He is speaking of President former President Trump is speaking before the National Guard right now, and he just called up former Democratic Congress Will and Tulci Gabbard.
Speaker 3: Up to the stage. Two.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she's officially endorsed him.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the exact relationship is, but I know that she's been much more supportive of him than she was of Kamala Harris or Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next, let's get down to dollars and cents. How much is the Harris campaign raised in the post coming out party. We'll tell you about it.
Speaker 4: And Gavin Newsom on a podcast, uh oh said the quiet part out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at you your hip quiet part out loud.
Speaker 3: Well, he was very de muorus, very mindful.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, who are you?
Speaker 3: I'm a TikToker now sorry, I'll take that back.
Speaker 1: Jen wrote to us if Kamala wanted the mics unmuted, it would be so she will be interrupted. Because the more she's being interrupted, the less she's speaking, A major win for someone who notoriously can't speak clearly or effectively.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting take, I do. It's weird to me that that's even an issue. I mean, the idea of turning on and off the microphones, because we saw this leading up to the debate at the end of June's comparisons to previous debates where you know, like Mitt Romney and Barack Obama were very gentlemanly, you know, nice to each other. Disagreed, but were nice to each other. And how different that is. Gavin Newsom was in Chicago last week. He of course, was the one who made the announcement for the California delegates to push Kamala Harris over the top that she needed to secure the nomination. Looked like he was giving that speech through gritted teeth. He has been caught, I think that might be the right word, caught joking about the process by which Kamala Harris was chosen to take over. It seemed logical, right, It seemed like a logical choice that the vice presidential candidate would be the one who took over for the president on the campaign.
Speaker 2: But she was not.
Speaker 4: I mean remember in say February, March April, we were talking about her not even being a likable candidate, and then when it happens where Biden steps down and she's chosen. It's weird how everybody coalesced behind her so quickly. Well, Gavin Newsom was on a podcast called Pod Save America last week and when he was they asked jokingly about this very compact switch process whereby Biden steps down, Kamala Harris has chosen as the anointed one.
Speaker 1: There's an intangible it's different.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about the switch?
Speaker 2: I mean this switch.
Speaker 6: Now, we went through a very open process, very inclusive process.
Speaker 2: It was bottom up.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know that.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I've been told.
Speaker 3: Yes, the primary.
Speaker 2: Very very fast.
Speaker 1: It was a primary that thirty minutes convention between tweets and amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been amazing, But it is What is amazing is how unified everybody is.
Speaker 1: The facade is crumbling.
Speaker 3: It is so weird. That whole exchange was very weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, and I got to point out the fact that we were talking to some people at the convention who off the air were telling us, how thin skinned he is, and how this is not going over well, and he is pissed off, and the fact that he was left out and that he got that stupid assignment to, you know, be the face.
Speaker 4: Of the delegation. Oh man, he's mad. What's interesting is the way that that is being written up. One of the Newsweek articles said that he was simply joking about how Vice President Kamala Harris was chosen to be the nominee, but it didn't mention anything about the line where he says, that's what I've been told to say. Newsweek doesn't mention that at all. A couple other different writeups of it do include that line where that's what he was told to say. Kamala Harris did see that polling boot. She also saw a fundraising boost. The Harris campaign says it has raised five hundred and forty million dollars for its election fight, no problems getting supporters to open their wallets since July twenty first, of course, which was when Biden said that he was going to step down. Campaign chair Jen O'Malley Dylan wrote in a memo that was released by the campaign just before the acceptance speech Thursday night, they officially crossed the five hundred million dollar mark, and immediately after the speech, she says, we saw our best fundraising hour since launch day, which is expected, right. I mean, that kind of momentum, that kind of honeymoon period is exactly what we were expecting going into or I should say, coming out of. Now that we're at the end of it, coming out of that convention, when is.
Speaker 1: The interview happening? When is that going to happen?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe a rumor that it's NBC, but I don't I have seen anything specific on that.
Speaker 1: Charlemagne the God joins us. Now, we were hoping to hook up with you when we were in Chicago, but I guess we just missed each other. Not like anyone was busy or anything all week.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, it was a pretty I came in Wednesday and Thursday THO it was a pretty hectic forty eight out.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this, what are the odds that you are the first interview that Kamala Harris agrees to sit down for.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think we all already lost that. Bet.
Speaker 6: I think, well, if if I saw correctly, Herrington Walls are sitting down with NBC News this week, So I'm not mistaken. But if you mean like a one on one with me and Kamala, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell you what those odds are.
Speaker 4: You were one of the people who was advocating make sure she did get out there and do one of these long form, long form interviews.
Speaker 3: Why why was that so important?
Speaker 2: Do you think? Well, I think what she.
Speaker 6: Did the first three weeks was incredible, you know, as far as her ground game, Like you know, I think I think going and doing that first made a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: I thought it was important just because that.
Speaker 6: Was literally the only thing they were they were using against her. But I mean it made sense to wait until after the Democratic National Convention because you know, you go to the DNC, you do your speech, you know, you lay out your you know, agenda. What she hadn't been doing at those pepperalities even paying attention like you know, just her wanting to rebuild the middle class and you know, having every everybody have the opportunity to own the home, everybody had the opportunity to own a small.
Speaker 2: Business, putting more money into working class. So she had she had been saying those things at the rallies.
Speaker 6: But you know, saying that at the DNC it hit different. You know, everybody gets to hear it. They know that's what she stands for. So now when she's going out doing her interviews, is just about her explaining those those positions. I think if she would have probably did interviews over the last three weeks, everybody would have been asking her about President Biden.
Speaker 2: And you know, why didn't you speak up?
Speaker 6: You know in regards to President Biden condition how long did y'all you know, know or think that he wasn't able to you know, carry on.
Speaker 2: I think it would have been a lot of that. Now is really more so about.
Speaker 6: Her, her and her agenda when she when she goes out there and does it her interviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I heard your take on when Biden stepped down. What was your reaction to that?
Speaker 2: Oh? My take was about time I had.
Speaker 6: I've been saying this for the past year and a half, Like I've been saying this on every platform I've been on, whether it was Brekdays Club, whether it was The Daily Show, and I was catching a lot of flag for it. I said it back in December, I said that, you know, President Biden not getting no younger, you know, he's not getting a new running mate, you know, because that was another criticism. They wanted him to potentially cook or pick a new running mate, which I never agreed with. But I was just like, Yo, he's not getting no younger and he's not getting.
Speaker 2: A new running mate.
Speaker 6: So it's just like, yo, do us all the biggest favor and step down. Because another question that I was asking for the past year some change, is the Biden Harris ticket a winnable ticket. November twenty twenty four, I just.
Speaker 2: Felt like it wasn't.
Speaker 6: I felt like all the polls and everything was pointing to you know, President Biden getting his ass kicked, you know, come November. And so I think that they absolutely positively made the right decision. I did an interview with John Carl on This Week ABC earlier this year, and I said, he needs to be leaning on the Vice President Moore, he needs to be leaning on hysterrogates like Governor Joshapiro and Governor Whitmerton and Governor Wes Moore and more.
Speaker 2: I set that back in February.
Speaker 6: So when he stepped down, I was just like, finally about time, because I'm not a political pundit in no way, shape or form, nor of my political political strategists. I'm just the person who has some eyes and some ears.
Speaker 2: So I can see that.
Speaker 6: Come that he wasn't the person that should be running. I don't know why people are way smarter than me who get paid to do that couldn't see it. So I was glad that he probably said that.
Speaker 4: We're talking with Charlottage and the God of course, host of the radio show The Breakfast Club, author of a new book, by the way, coming out, Get Honest or Die, Lion, small talk socks, and we'll talk about that coming up in a little bit. But I wanted to ask you more about this Joe Biden thing, so we had talked about it too. We talked about, hey, wait a minute, this guy's showing signs of decline. Whether it's cognitive, whether it's physical, whatever it is, it's declined, and no one seems to be acknowledging it. Do you feel like the party or the White House was deceptive in the way they talked about the condition of the president.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna say it was deceptive. I just thought that they were pretty delusional, and I really think they were underestimating Donald Trump yet again, same way the underestimated Donald Trump and twenty sixteen, same way, you know, they underestimated them slightly in twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty, even though Biden President Biden did win.
Speaker 6: I just felt like they were underestimating again, especially even more so now because they're looking like, oh, this guy's got you know, all of these criminal charges, he's been in peached twice, Like there's no way the American people whatever, you know, they're vote for him again. The poles were saying otherwise. So I think that you know, even if you know President Biden was showing slight signs of decline, can't sit here and act like he wasn't doing some good things, you know, while he was in office. And I think that they thought that that was going to carry them over until they realized that, hey, no, it's not. Seventy percent of Americans said they did not want a Biden Trump rematch.
Speaker 2: One in four.
Speaker 6: Americans said they had unfavorable views of both Biden and Trump. Nicki Haley was absolutely correct when she said the first party to get rid of their eighty year old candidate is going to be the party that winted this election. I don't know if that's going to necessarily be the case, but if you look at it, you know, the way it's trending right now, Poles say it will be, you know, so so we'll see, you know. But I don't know if they were deceptive as much as they were just you know, delusional and more so just underestimating underestimating Donald Trump. That's that's that's what I really believe. That's un estimating Trump.
Speaker 1: How did you I think the convention went. I mean, we've talked about how it was kind of like a scripted, choreographed movie that they put on, right, and that there's not a lot of surprises this day and age when you get to those conventions. But there is some knock on the DNC for focusing on celebrities and not everyday Americans that need the Democrats to win.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's the case. They didn't have any more celebrities than the RNC had. They might have had more popular celebrities. I mean, the RNC had Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that L. Holgan's from like nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I mean it's the same. I mean, no, I love Oprah, but Oprah's from the eighties nineties as well. Like, I mean, it's just it's the same type of energy. Who do they have on the stage, Like Keenan Thompson was out there right, who else?
Speaker 2: Kerry Washington.
Speaker 6: I don't think it was a celebrit really driven is people are making.
Speaker 2: It out to be.
Speaker 6: And I mean, you know, people like Carry Washington, They've been at every DNC convention that as far as far as I can remember. I mean, just be sitting at home, Washington on television. This is the first convention I have actually went to. But I don't, I don't. I don't think it was celebrity driven. And it just sounds kind of crazy for anybody, you know. That's that's that's part of the GOP to be talking about folks being celebrity driven when the executive producer of Celebrity Apprentice.
Speaker 2: Is the nominee.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump is an actual celebrity, actual reality show star. So it just seems kind of scrange to say that the DNC is focused on celebrity. Uh.
Speaker 4: You can order Charlemagne's book called Get Honest or Die Lion, Why Small Talk Sucks?
Speaker 3: What's this book about?
Speaker 2: Man? Exactly?
Speaker 6: What the title says, you know, you know, I went away on a.
Speaker 2: Spiritual retreat earlier this year, and you.
Speaker 6: Know, one of the things that came up from me because it's just the way that I try to live my life, and it was just kind of like a reinforcement of a value that I have. And it's like, stop lying to yourself and stop volunteer you're in those lives to other people. Because when I was young, my dad would always tell me, you're not.
Speaker 2: Lying to yourself. You're not lying to me. When you lie, you're lying to yourself.
Speaker 6: And I just think, like that's like the ultimate form.
Speaker 2: Of delusion, Like, you know, there's no bigger lack of self awareness and look in the mirror every day and you.
Speaker 6: Know, tell yourself a complete and total lie. So I'm just challenging people to, you know, wake up and be the most honest versions of themselves. You know, don't lie to yourself. When you can do that, then it'll be easy to not lie to other the other people. And then you know, the why Small talks up is exactly that.
Speaker 3: Why what if someone what if.
Speaker 1: Someone's an a hole? Though, don't don't you should? They should lie to themselves in the mirror and talk themselves into not being an ahole.
Speaker 6: No, they gotta they should tell themselves they're ahole. First, you gotta look in the mirror and say, I'm an a hole.
Speaker 2: I'm a complete douche. You know, this is why nobody likes me. Things aren't working out for me because it's me. I am the problem, Teller Swift.
Speaker 6: It's me the problem. Literally, you have to be completely honest with yourself and then you'll you'll be able to correct some things.
Speaker 2: That's actually, you know, a great point.
Speaker 6: Like you know, you you have to look in the mirror and see what's.
Speaker 2: Wrong with you, like the mirror.
Speaker 6: We tend to make it work one way, right, Like we can look in the mirror and check on.
Speaker 2: Everything that's absolutely correct.
Speaker 6: But can you look in the mirror and see what's wrong, like you've seen it. There's somebody walking around right now with an outfit that they had no business leaving the house, and they looked in the mirror and saw it. But they convinced themselves and looked good. But everybody else is seeing them and they're like, why would you leave the house.
Speaker 2: Dressed like that? They could have just been honest with themselves before they left out.
Speaker 6: No nobody else would have to tell them.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm going to be self conscious for the rest of the week.
Speaker 4: We missed it. We sure would have loved to have met you in Chicago. But thanks for taking time for us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: History was made just a short time ago in baseball. Danny Jansen became the first player in Major League Baseball history to play for.
Speaker 3: Both teams in one game.
Speaker 4: Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays started a game back on June twenty sixth, and it got interrupted because of rain. Danny Jansen was at bat for the Blue Jays when the game was suspended. About a month later, he was traded to the Red Sox, so he started well, started the continuation of the game behind the plate as the catcher for the Blue Jay or for the Red Sox, and then the Blue Jays had to have a pinch hitter come in and finish his at back.
Speaker 1: Walmart is recalling almost ten thousand cases of apple juice. The batch of Great Value brand apple juice was found to have potentially dangerous levels of arsenic.
Speaker 3: It could cost supposed to put that in apple juice.
Speaker 1: I thought no you're not could cause minor health issues temporarily, not likely to cause serious problems. Huh. That's something you don't hear every day. Yeah, you got arsenic in your juice, but you should be fine.
Speaker 3: It's just minor. It's just minor.
Speaker 4: And then finally, the two astronauts stranded at the International Space Station will come back aboard a SpaceX capsule in February. NASA made the official announcement yesterday. A Boeing Starliner took them up in June. Took the two astronauts in June for what was supposed to be an eight day mission. There were some helium leaks malfunctioning thrusters, so instead of an eight day mission, it goes to eight months.
Speaker 1: Dale Wilcox is a guy who lives in Alesian Heights and he enjoys goats. Recently, two of his goats were taken by authorities who claim that Dale is allowing the aggressive animals to roam untethered and near other residences and that is a breach of the law. I also did not know that if goats are seized that they are then put up for adoption by the Department of Animal Services. Now that's something I could get on board with which part the adoption of the goats. Knew that was the part they're lovely creatures.
Speaker 3: Dale says that this was goat napping.
Speaker 1: He sued the city over it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he said it was all brought on because his neighbors are unhappy that he's got goats, and they do things. They do goat things like, oh, I don't know, eat the plants, climb on cars, bleat all the time.
Speaker 1: He says that they're helpful clearing the land of unwanted brush, branches, grass, things like that frosty chunky goat the color of a softly toasted marshmallow is from northern California. And then he moved to Riverside with Frosty and Frosty's new friend, Pepe. He expanded his herd further that year, adding Beatrice and Benito.
Speaker 4: And they had a baby and they named that baby a baby goat is named a kid, right, sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know why does Dale Wilcox's story receive six pages in the La Times. I guess what I do?
Speaker 3: I guess it's.
Speaker 4: Because it's a neighborhood war. I mean, he but they didn't have to do.
Speaker 3: A whole profile.
Speaker 1: You know, that's like his love of animals began. When can we have some music please? His love of animals began when he was young. He grew up with dogs, cats, a parakeet, and a parrot that lived to sixty chose a close childhood friend had a goat, and Dale learned to milk the animal. When he was at Pacific Union College in the eighties, he liked to visit a Russian great uncle who owned goats. He would drink the goat milk. I could have done without that paragraph, right, the milk part. I don't picture young Dale milking goats and drinking the milk.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: Dale says he brings those goats in from Riverside to LA to work for his business, which is like a landscaping goat scaping LA. They keep down the tall grasses and weeds. They just eat it. They just eat constantly. It's a great business plan, especially here in California when you need to make sure that you keep your weeds down around your house. He keeps a goat shed in Alleesian Heights. Does that smell like some supplies for his b rescue business? And despite the fact that he has an address in Allegian Heights. He says he lives he and the goats live in Riverside, and it's not clear how much time the animals actually spend in la but a bunch of neighbors in that Allsian Park area say, oh no, no, he's always here, as are the goats. The goats have gotten loose a half a dozen times, according to neighbor Andrew pez Terco, and Pasterco's family has had to help him round up the goats using brooms. They've also attacked the neighbors. They've climbed on top of a car and a shared driveway to eat the leaves off of an overhanging tree.
Speaker 1: Goats will get after it man, they said.
Speaker 4: The most shocking incident came one night when the neighbors were about to go to sleep. Daughter and grandhok grandkids were visiting and five goats walked into their living room. That's pretty cool. I would like that for me, he called to his wife. He was frozen in the chair. Goats were in the living room, walking slowly around, smelling things. After that, I had to clean the house because they pooped everywhere.
Speaker 1: How long were they there for?
Speaker 4: In just a couple of minutes, I suppose, but interesting maybe they felt like that was the appropriate place.
Speaker 3: You can't really housebreak a goat. I mean, I'm sure you could if you tell.
Speaker 1: You to keep it outside in some sort of you know, goat are goats shed a goat. A pen. A pen for goats and for.
Speaker 3: Goats is a good one.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, By the way, the Dodgers are going to take on the Baltimore Orioles at Dodgers Stadium, with first pitch at seven o'clock. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five seventy LA Sports. Stream all the games an HD on the iHeartRadio app. Use that keyword AM five seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of era of LA.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.