Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of November twenty fifth, we're discussing the fourth episode of the new season of Shrinking. It is called Made You Look and daddy issues are yeah emerging once again.
Speaker 3: Here in this episode we have the.
Speaker 2: Obvious Sean and his dad issues and that spills over into Paul as surrogate dad to Jimmy and real dad to his daughter Meg.
Speaker 3: Who shows up in this episode.
Speaker 2: And we have Charlie and Brian.
Speaker 3: Brian decides, you know, trying.
Speaker 1: To problematical fathering the next generation.
Speaker 2: Right, right, we have Derek being the dad figure to Gabby and Brian.
Speaker 1: I want to Derek. Everybody wants to Derek.
Speaker 2: We and then we had Brian. Even we had another Brett Goldstein. Oh yeah, sing here once again he knows where Jimmy lives.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well I guess he had Ellis's wallet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: So I figured that's how he knew. Yes, but yeah, I'm interested to see where that goes. I think we're going to get more of it in the next episode, obviously. But Goldstein's really very good in this, you know, yes, exuding non hate ability, no right, as opposed to like, we have a case study of Donnie, who, whether he's guilty of anything or not, you hate his living guts, yes, absolutely, and this guy who killed the wife and mother of the main characters. But look at that face. Yeah, he seems really sad about it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a lot of a lot.
Speaker 1: Of good casting, a lot of therapy going on, a lot of dad a lot of parenting going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, both in terms of.
Speaker 2: You know, parenting parents, parenting their actual children, and then people observing those parents right trying to learn from them or trying to learn what not to do from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So did I liked the new Derek that that showed up. That was cute?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jean of him Nim and Wayne's junior, I.
Speaker 2: Believe him and Gabby flirting in the driveway was adorable.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're flirting has been great. I really think that this will be a good a good direction we're going in the whole thing with Gabby and her sister and her mother. Though it's going to provide us with good parenting material, just seems like a little like more of the same. But okay, and I do wonder what's going to happen with Sean and his dad. I mean, I think it's good that they're working together because then they're going to have to work together. Yeah, whatever the thing is. But did the dad just quit his john Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good question. Yeah, it seemed like the dad had an entire other job, so it's just like.
Speaker 1: And like in a managerial way, like he was working at Wendy's.
Speaker 2: I hope he didn't quit his job for this.
Speaker 1: Day off because it's a couple of vacations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because, you know, for for Sean's sake, I hope it doesn't last forever and Sean can get back to doing it the way he likes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I think Liz would buy back in yeah, but yeah, I just it's you don't from our parenting point of view, I really want the dad to be the bad guy. I really would like him to not come back and say you're living with your therapist and what is the matter with you and do things that are going to set Sean off. I would like him to take a step back and go, yeah, he told me he was in trouble, but I didn't listen and have a good you know. As with every show in the world, of course, but this one particularly, people could just sit down and talk to each other works out real well. Apparently Sean and Liz had to go to Paul's office to be able to sit down and talk to each other, and it worked out real well. So could Sean and his dad just have a conversation, hopefully not in the food truck where, you know, but just you know, to admit that mistakes were made and that Sean is doing his best. I really don't want to go back to where he's going into a white hot rage and hitting people even if they deserve it. So hmm, I hope that the dad seeing him go into Jimmy's house seemed to be preparing for him to get on his high horse when talking to his son again, and I do you not want?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And what was the dad even doing there?
Speaker 1: You know, like what and how did he get how did he get there.
Speaker 2: Sean?
Speaker 1: Or well, I mean Sean might have his address on something if that's his official residence for the moment and his mailing address, then he might have had that address on something, right or Liz, you know, he could have been going to Liz's house and seeing Sean walking in. So it's not necessarily weird, but I just didn't like it because it seems to be setting something up that I don't want to see. So let's hope the dad has not shown himself to be an irredeemable jerk. He's shown himself to just maybe be trying trying in the way that he knows how to try, which is not what Seawn needs. So please, for the sake of all parents out there were watching this and win saying, please let the dad be good. Please let the dad do a good thing, let him be okay. Yeah, yeah, I just I think we've come to the end of this tension and it needs to resolve. Yeah, and she just like, now make and just to tell her dad, Oh yeah, how you like how you didn't raise me for a teen years.
Speaker 3: You know, they got a joking.
Speaker 1: They're joking back and forth. Yeah, they got there, they got their issues, but it's not a big thing. You know, he flew across the country to watch your son's school play and now it's all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that was thanks to the influence of doctor Julie, who wasn't in this episode.
Speaker 1: No, I missed her, me too. This sounds like next episode we're going to get the ex wife, so right, I mean played by Kelly Bishop.
Speaker 2: This show, Like, let's have another new character, like you know what I mean, Like we got the second Derek we got yes, I mean this season obviously we've got Brett Goldstein's character.
Speaker 3: That's a big thing. But like they're not stopping. No, I'm bringing it more people.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, yep. Well let's you know, hang out comedy. That's what I wanted to be, So more folks can come hang out. That's fine. Some of them were kind of coming and going. So, you know, if if Charlie's going to be in it more, if Derek's Derek definitely is going to be in it more since he's now on the opening credits, the Derek yes, Ted mc yes, delightful. Yes, in all uses. But at the same time, while y'all adults are dealing with your stuff, the kids are messed up, and somebody noticed the kids are messed up. I am at least happy that when we saw that. Indeed, Alice and Connor went beyond kissing. At least this time the music Q was making bad decisions over and over and over again. Not make mistakes, It's okay making bad decisions. Yeah, yes, Indeed, why were they in his room? Why would they not have gone to her room? I don't know, just because the publy jokes of uh.
Speaker 2: You know, of Derek, ye dear.
Speaker 1: And uh Summer sort of suspects something weird is going on, which is very understandable, because they were looking all kinds of uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they looked very guilty.
Speaker 1: No poker faces on these kids.
Speaker 2: At least they are aligned in that this was a mistake and we don't want Summer to know, at least it seems.
Speaker 1: And do we think that that will work for them?
Speaker 3: No, I definitely don't think it will work for them.
Speaker 2: But at least it's not like he's all, you know, back to mooning off over her and right, yeah, she and she knows she messed up.
Speaker 1: And although I do think that if she had said, oh, thank goodness, this is what I wanted all along, he would have been fine with it. So's you know, he's he's uh a malleable.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, yes, he's he's easily influenced.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, as long as somebody's having sex with me. I don't really right moon over whoever is uh? Hear me? At the moment. That's actually a very a very cute character, and the actor does well with it. I like him, just just sort of like I. Yes, indeed, So how do we feel about the plot line of fairly shortly after getting married, one spouse saying, oh, by the way, did I mention that I want kids and I want them right now and I want them very badly? Oh? I didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that seems Charlie was getting into some technicalities like oh yeah, you said you didn't want kids, and I said I didn't mind or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know he was.
Speaker 2: He was definitely trying to be like, well, I didn't agree to that specifically, I don't know he was.
Speaker 1: He was, But that is something that you say when you are dating, and then when you decide to get married, that is when you say, hey, you know how I said this. I really think that you should know that I meant that and we should figure that out. Yeah, but like Charlie seems like a very charming dude. But that's not good. No, don't do.
Speaker 2: That because most people, well, I mean, he may have sort of assumed that what would happen what happened would happen, which was that he'd be able to change Brian's mind, which again, is not a good way to start off.
Speaker 1: Your marriage, your marriage, or your parenthood either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You know that's dicey.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope it works out for them, but not I wanted to. I liked that character and would prefer him not be that sort of manipulative right eye that he turns out to be. Yeah, but we didn't really know him that well last season. No, so, and I mean Brian's for not wanting one. Also not.
Speaker 2: Exactly said in cement, but right and fairly common right, like exactly I didn't have the parenting I wanted or needed, so therefore I don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: Right, This is the kind of thing that you should maybe talk to a therapist about.
Speaker 3: A good thing.
Speaker 2: He knows a couple.
Speaker 1: But I was thinking there was like at least two therapists at this discussion of Oh, yeah, just be a dad you a little bit, it'll be great Anderson, should they not be saying, hey, buddy, this is a complicated issue. It has deep roots in your psyche and your family history. I have a time open, right, how much money I.
Speaker 3: Swing by the office?
Speaker 2: Goes, We're gonna get it.
Speaker 1: Or you could just sit in the break room and we'll come here. Go yeah, with you.
Speaker 2: We are frequently available in the breakroom as long as you bring some ice cream. Well, next week we will discuss the fifth episode of season two. It is called Honesty Era. So hey, oh, people.
Speaker 3: Talking to each other maybe telling about that.
Speaker 2: We'll find out.
Speaker 1: So, in other words, no more.
Speaker 2: Lies exactly, but is it going to be as effective as yeah? Good question.
Speaker 3: Well we'll find out. We but we will see you back here tomorrow for.
Speaker 1: Us could have really used a therapist. Can I mention they got a doctor? They couldn't have a psychologist there too, because that person could have racked up some billable hours.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it'll just be a little sign saying daddy issues question mark, come see.
Speaker 2: Me, Come see me.
Speaker 3: My schedule is my calendar.
Speaker 1: Is clear like a Lucy van Pelt.
Speaker 2: The doctor is in.
Speaker 1: Sorry anyway, wrong show.
Speaker 2: So yeah, next week it'll be Honesty Era on Shrinking. That's next Wednesday, and we'll see you here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.