Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's news radio Madison.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. My name is Dan Ray.
Speaker 3: I'm the host of Nightside, back after a three nights off. Actually want to thank Gary Tangway, who is kind of enough to sit in for me this week Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, which allowed me to spend a little family time away from the microphone, which is always a little bittersweet. I like the microphone, but I like the family too. So we'll well, I'm back and I will tell you that you are listening to somewhat of a historic program tonight. This is my four thousandth edition of Nightside since I was sure well, thank you very much, Digital studio audience appreciate that very much. So we have a very special guest coming up at nine o'clock tonight, Josh Kraft, who has just announced his campaign for mayor here in Boston. He'll be challenging the incumbent mayor.
Speaker 4: Wu and a little bit later on tonight aty ten o'clock, going to talk about this trial balloon that President Trump has floated, question about whether or not, in my opinion, he's a little bit out.
Speaker 2: Over his ski.
Speaker 3: He's talking about the US going in and basic taking possession of the guys a strip. We'll get to all of that, but first we have four really interesting guests, and two of whom are going to deal with the Super Bowl, which is this well about seventy two hours from now.
Speaker 2: They'll be playing Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
Speaker 3: It's coming at us like a freight train with us. As Jack wicktor Jack is USA Today's resident consumer travel reporter. A little bit of a oxymoronic comment, Resident consumer travel reporter, you shouldn't be a resident. You should be traveling all the time.
Speaker 5: Hi, Zach Hoyer, Hey, I'm good. Thanks and congrats on four thousand episodes. That's a big milestone.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. It's about eighteen years. We're in the middle of eighteen years. I did thirty one years in TV here in Boston at WBCTV, and now have tacked on about eighteen years and who knows, maybe another couple of years as well. But we want to talk about the Super Bowl. So, first of all, Consumer Travel Reporter, that's great. Give us a little bit of information about your beat, because once we have folks on the program, I know many of our listeners like to follow them. What is the beat like, you do more than just the Super Bowl, I'm sure, because that is only a once a year event.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah. So, as my title suggests, I cover travel pretty broadly, and I'm actually really lucky. We have a great travel team at USA today. I'm one of four travel reporters, and we really look at all kinds of things about the industry and how they affect the regular traveler. My primary focus is aviation, which obviously for a number of reasons, has been kind of top of the news cycle recently. Sadly, but yeah, yeah, sadly, definitely. But we're here to talk about the Super Bowl, and we also all myself and all of my colleagues cover you know, vacations and trends in the industry and kind of everything the traveler needs to know. So I'm happy to talk about the Super Bowl and in the future about other travel topics.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely well.
Speaker 3: You know, we used to think of it as the the the annual postseason appearance of the Patriots, but for the last few years it hasn't quite worked out that way. I've had the privilege of attending two Super Bowls as a fan. Didn't didn't work them it didn't work them. But there First of all, there's still some cheap flights in hotels. There may be people who listening tonight anywhere in the thirty or so states thirty eight states that hear our voice, some of which are a lot closer to New Orleans than perhaps people would realize. If someone happens to come into possession of a couple of tickets out, it's going to be an arm of the lake to get to. You know, it's obviously at seventy two hours before the game. But what what advice would you have someone The people who are already booked and on their way, they don't need your advice.
Speaker 2: But if all of a.
Speaker 3: Sudden someone called one of my listeners and said, hey, I got two tickets to the Super Bowl. I can't get there for whatever reason. They're yours if you want them. What what's the advice you give? Last minute flights and hotel arrangements. How you got the ticket, someone's got the tickets.
Speaker 2: How do you think?
Speaker 3: First you got a panic for a little while. Then once you calm down, what do you do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I guess, like say or prayer over your credit card or something. Because to be perfectly honest with you and your listeners. This close into departure for flights, and this close into booking around a major event for hotels, you're going to be pretty hard pressed to find a deal. That said, there are ways that you can at least be sure that you're getting the best deal possible. If you use a tool like Google Flights or Expedia, which has some price prediction tools built in, it'll at least show you how fares compare in terms of the flights available and kind of in terms of historical trends. Again, when you're booking just a couple of days before departure, that is typically when flights are the most expensive. But if you can be a little flexible about your itinerary, you know, if you're willing to take that early morning flight to New Orleans, or you're willing to have a layover somewhere that may be a little inconvenient, you may be able to find a better deal that way. And similar with hotels, the hotels that are closest to the stadium are probably going to be the ones that are most expensive or the least likely to have availability. So if you're looking for a deal on your lodging. You're going to want to look in the surrounding area, kind of the suburbs and the exurbs of New Orleans, and.
Speaker 2: Zach, I'm thinking Mississippi.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, it's possible. Yeah, out in fly Dell or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean if you got if you got the tickets, that's that.
Speaker 2: That is for sure.
Speaker 3: Obviously security is going to be heightened there as a result of what happened the morning of New Year's when you know, fifteen people died in that horrific attack for which we have no understanding why or reasons, a terrorist attack on Bourbon Street.
Speaker 2: But New Orleans is a fun city. Uh, it's you know, they say it never sleeps.
Speaker 3: In New York City never sleeps.
Speaker 2: Neither does No Orleans fall.
Speaker 5: So, uh, that's absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Have you been to a Super Bowl before, Zach.
Speaker 5: Or No, I have not. But actually, the nice thing about USA today specifically, and I have to do a little plug here, is even if you can't make it to the big Game, which I can't make it this year, we have a way that you can still sort of participate and feel like you're part of the community and part of the action. You know, one of the biggest to try options to watching the Super Bowl from home, obviously beyond the game itself, is the commercials, And so if you want to take part in that and feel like you're part of the community, you can register at admeter dot USA today dot com and voting is open And this is one of the biggest polls to register which commercials people like to see the most during the Super Bowl and the winner of our Super Bowl the ad super Bowl is going to be posted Monday after the game, and registration is open if you want to be a voter, So if you can't make it down to New Orleans, you can still participate and feel like you're part of the community around the game.
Speaker 3: Now, do you folks have previews at USA Today on that website of the ads or do people have to watch and sit there and take notes eagleide during the run up to the game and during the game?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you know, it's going to be best to like watch the commercials during the game. That's when you're going to kind of get the best part of the experience by watching it during the game.
Speaker 3: That yeah, all right, Well again, I love the well, you know what I love about not going to Super Bowl having gone to two is when I watch you go home, I can get a beer. I don't have to wear a wine and I figured out that the beers cost about a buck. Okay, the Super Bowl they're like twenty bucks of beer, you know, and for some reason they don't taste this question anyway.
Speaker 5: Hey, look, that's true, and you know, I do want to just make one quick correction to what I just said. You can actually definitely watch the ads on our website at ad meter dot USA today dot com. But I think for the better experience to really feel like you're getting that communal spirit is to watch it during the game.
Speaker 2: Ad Meter at USA Today. Is that the deal is.
Speaker 5: That admeter dot USA Today.
Speaker 3: Dot com, dot USA Today dot com. Okay, great, we'll get it right. No one will ever be able to beat the Clydesdale ad. So I mean, I have a friend of mine who worked on that ad, just a fellow named Brian Sweeney. It's in a brilliant, brilliant ad.
Speaker 2: Zach enjoyed it very much. Hope to have you back.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, thank you so much again. Really appreciate you having me on and congrast some more time on four thousand shows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you very much. And by the way, I do love USA Today whenever I am on the road and also when i'm home. But when I'm on the road, particularly when there's a USA Today in the hotel, it makes you feel like you're at home.
Speaker 2: So keep on keeping on, Okay, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 3: We get back on to talk about a mere more philosophical subject. Is American democracy working for all Americans? A new national survey will evaluate how Americans perceive an experienced democracy for the next hundred years.
Speaker 2: If I'm reading this properly, I believe i am.
Speaker 3: We talk with Brad Rourke, who's the chief external affairs officer of a group called the Kettering Foundation. Back on night's side. This is a Monday night. This is not a Monday night for me, but a Thursday night for you. February sixth, the anniversary, the forty seventh anniversary of the Blizzard of seventy eight. We should probably talk about that maybe a little bit tonight as well. I remember that storm really well, and probably some of you do as well. We'll get back to a more conversation here and again Josh Kraft candidate for mayor coming up at nine oh five tonight on Nightside. Back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back.
Speaker 3: We are talking this segment with Brad Rourke, and the big question is is America is American democracy working?
Speaker 2: Brad? Welcome to night Said, how.
Speaker 6: Are you, Dan?
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me here.
Speaker 2: So tell us about your foundations called the Kettering Foundation.
Speaker 7: Tell us a little bit Thereah, yeah, absolutely where the I work for the Charles F. Kettering Foundation. Where a nonprofit, nonpartisan operating foundation. We're based in Dayton, Ohio, but we also have offices in Washington, d C. We're partnering with Gallup to do a new survey that we're calling the Democracy for All Projects. And I'm really happy to be talking about that with you.
Speaker 2: So it sounds somewhat amorphous to me. Can you make it a little bit?
Speaker 3: You know, when I Richard Charles Keering Foundation, I was wondering if it was related to the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, but obviously not.
Speaker 2: Is it the same family by any chance at all?
Speaker 7: It is where we were founded by Charles F. Kettering, who was an inventor in Dayton in the early nineteen hundreds, invented, among other things, the electric car starter, which went on to power the entire automobile industry. So if you drove to work, you have Charles F.
Speaker 3: Kettering to think, Okay, so that's what you I just wanted to make that connection.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure and they didn't want to ask it. But I'm glad we made it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I guess Sloan is now going to do for the next hundred years an annual survey is that?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Gallup is we were We were parted with Gallup, which is you know, no no one, no one does surveys better. And what we're focusing on is, you know, as as you and everybody knows, Americans trust and uh feeling about institutions right now, it's at an all time low. It's been going down, down, down for for decades and decades and decades, and so so America's Americans feel that like democracy is not working for them, but there's disagreement about why they feel that way and and what that means to them. And so this Democracy for All project is trying to get at understanding with more detail and more nuanced how it is that Americans are experiencing the democracy that we all share and what goes into these feelings that they have. And we'll do it on a yearly basis so that we can have an ongoing understanding of how people feel and more importantly, why they feel that way.
Speaker 3: As someone who has been around for a while, just to qualify myself, I worked for many years as a television reporter here in Boston at the CBS affiliate, and I've been doing a talk show for eighteen years. I first got excited about government when I had a really good Civics teacher in the ninth grade named mister Daugherty at Boston Latin School in the nineteen sixties. Okay, now I've aged myself dated myself for you, but I don't think the average American understands because Civics is no longer taught in high schools most high schools across America. They don't even understand what democracy means or how this government is supposed to work. The concept of checks and balances and things like that. I've looked at this graph that I believe Gallup has, which was in one of your stories that talked about how they from nineteen eighty four to I guess nineteen ninety one, but sixty percent of the people in the country were satisfied with democracy. It plummeted in nineteen ninety two around the time of the Bill Clinton election when George Bush was turned out of office, came back a little bit under Clinton, stayed pretty well under Clinton, and since two thousand has been on a downward trajectory to where it hit rock bottom in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: You're familiar with.
Speaker 3: The graph, and I'm just trying to say, yes, I am.
Speaker 2: I could put a graph over that which would be the arrival.
Speaker 3: Of social media in this country. And I think that most young people have no concept. And I know I'm going to sound like a you know, get off my law on Clint Eastwood type guy here, but I think there's no coincidence that the dissatisfaction with democracy results from the fact that people don't understand it, and the reason they don't understand that it's not taught in schools, and people find themselves in these silos, these philosophical silos liberal conservative, right wing, left wing, Democrat, Republican on social media. So I'm thrilled that big theory at you tell me why I'm wrong.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you're wrong when you're right. I mean, you may well have a good point at about a piece of it. But it's also true that you know, you can you can probably lay a lot of different graphs over that one graph and and get a lot of other similar correlations as well. So it's probably fair to say that that, yes, the fragmentation of media and social media may have something to do with that, but also there might be other factors that work as well. And what we're really trying to do with this work and by really trying to ask a different set of questions about how it is that people's daily lives affect the way they see their government and institutions around them, that we're trying to like recreate that connection that your old Civics teacher had, which was which was figuring out ways in which people's you know, daily lives and everyday experience goes into how it is they feel about about the society and which they live. So we're trying to get past these sort of textbook definitions which are not incorrect, but trying to get past the traditional textbook definitions of democracy which has been evolving on the planet for hundreds of years, and get at today and moving forward, how it is that people are experiencing it, and how it is they're experiencing there, you know, the struggles and opportunities that they're facing in their community with the people around them.
Speaker 3: Right in a country of three hundred and thirty million or so people, I'm sure that there's a myriad of viewpoints. You said that, I kin't think of another graph that I could overlay this because your graph, the company graph, runs from nineteen eighty four when there was very little social media, to today when we're all overwhelmed by it. I just see this. I mean, to me, this graft is really clear. Do you think that civics? I'll ask you the question, Brad, do you think that there should be an effort in this country to teach civics. I'm just talking about, you know, the rules of the road, what a democracy, Our democracy is about. There are other democracies in you know, ancient Greek rece which are a little different than ours. But if you don't understand the democracy in which you live and which you're blessed to live, how can you possibly appreciate it if you don't understand it.
Speaker 7: I think us as you point out that, you know what what the experts might call civic knowledge is also you know, at an all time low, people need to know how it is the system works, and also they need to know how it affects them in their daily lives. I keep going back to that, but I think it's important that you know. It's one thing to say, oh, the you know, the how how it is I feel about the you know, the institution of Congress or the Supreme Court is you know, and and how that all works and how a bill becomes a lot that is super important. Don't mean to diminish that in any way. But it's also important to know that, you know, we in our neighborhood, on our block or in our town, are we together make up democracy? And so when we solve problems together, and and and and you know, I'm faced with a challenge and my neighbors come to my aid, that's democracy too. And I've got to we want to see if there's a way that we can see if people understand and see how it is that daily life can add up to democracy. Not to diminish anything about about the structures that go into it, which are which are critically important, and and the civic knowledge that people have. But there's another another aspect to it, and it's one that we think has been.
Speaker 3: Oh, throw one more rejoinder at you, that I'll let you go, and that is that. Yeah, I think what you described as accurate. Many people today live in America. They don't know who lives next door to them, they don't know who lives in the in the building with them.
Speaker 8: And I think part of that is the amount of time we're all spending on social media that we don't have time to We do not make time to interact with our neighbors and find out that the lady that lives.
Speaker 2: Up the street lives in a wheelchair and she might.
Speaker 3: Need some help to to cut her a long, to cut her lawn, and to shovel her sidewalk. So anyway, you and I could do an hour on this, We could go on the road and could we could have a pretty good conversation about this, because.
Speaker 7: I dan I'd love to. I hope that's an invitation.
Speaker 2: Well have you back?
Speaker 3: I mean that's seriously, I really mean that the place that I'm coming from is.
Speaker 2: Deeply felt, deeply felt. And I look at this and I think this is a hugely huge.
Speaker 3: Project, and I commend you and the Kettering Foundation and Gallop for partnering in this one. But I just think that until we bring civics back to every high school student, every junior high school student across America and make that an important part of our public education system, which was founded by Horace Mann here in Massachusetts, we're doomed to an ignorant populace about the way the way the system under which you live functions and operates. I just I firmly, so firmly believe it. I know I've been an antagonistic host, and for that I apologize, Brad, but you more than held your own.
Speaker 2: But I'd love to have you back for a.
Speaker 7: Longer, Count Dan, Dan, I'd love to be back. This was a piece of cake. I've really enjoyed talking to you. Let me tell your viewers we're going to be releasing the results of the survey in the fall. They can learn more by going to gallop dot com Flash Democracy. And I really hope that we'll continue this dialogue.
Speaker 3: I will, I'll have my producer get in touch with you folks, and maybe we'll do a longer version. We do hours with with you know, phone calls with our guests as well. This segment is intended to be a briefer ten or eight or nine or ten minute exposition, and you just happen to catch me on something I feel really strongly about. Thanks Brad, appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much, Dan appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So okay, good night, get back.
Speaker 3: We will pick up one other topic and this is very important, just as democracy is, and that is food safety. At your super Bowl get together this weekend, we're going to talk with the USDA food safety expert.
Speaker 1: You're on Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks Madison. We are continuing with our eight o'clock Nightside news update, and of course one of the big news stories this weekend, perhaps the biggest story will be the Super Bowl and many of us will be having Super Bowl get together with our get togethers with our family and friends. And joining us now is jesse Garcia. He's a usa DA United States Department of Agriculture food Safety expert. Jesse Garcia. Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 5: Good evening, Dan, how are.
Speaker 2: You, sir, hope everything's well with you.
Speaker 6: I'm doing everybody.
Speaker 9: We're very busy, I'll bet you.
Speaker 2: I bet you are.
Speaker 3: This is a big, big, big weekend forget togethers and Super Bowl parties, and of course everybody's going to be bringing their favorite dishes or whatever. But but this is a big problem food born illnesses, and you're going to tell us how to, if not eliminate them, at least minimize for food born illnesses.
Speaker 2: What tips do you have, Jesse, Yes, sir.
Speaker 9: The USKA reminds party hosts to keep those pizzas, hamburgers, and chicken wings out of the danger zone this Sunday. Avoid keeping perishable food out for more than two hours without heating or cooling sources. Remember, perishable food that stays out for too long at room temperature allows back to here to quickly multiply two unhealthy levels. So here's some tips. If you want to keep your food out from four hours or longer, make sure to have cold and heating sources available on that buffday table. Cold foods like dairy based dips and daily meat dishes. They should be placed on top of bowls of ice to keep them chilled at forty degrees are below. Hot items like pizza, chicken, wings, and chili should be kept heated in warming trays, flow cookers, and shaping dishes at one hundred forty degrees or more. Well, yeah, we have an alternative.
Speaker 2: Yeah before you, let me just jump in.
Speaker 3: When you talk about pizza, I mean, if you gotta have pizza, you want to make sure pizza is nice and warm as far as I'm concerned. I mean, you grab a piece of pizza and it's ice cold, it's not nearly as good to eat. So does that aspect I interrupted? Did Jesse go ahead? You had a few more points, go.
Speaker 9: Ahead, Yes, we have an alternative. If you don't have all those nice uh things to keep hot or stuff cold, we have an alternative called the half time rule, which means bring out the first set of portions that kickoff and during the time show, bring up the second string of your bussey for the remainder of the game. By bringing food out in stages, this allows you to have food out for less than two hours. So split those portions into two and bring them out at different times of the game.
Speaker 3: Those that's a very practical suggestion because you put out a huge spread and if half of it remains there. You know, it could become an every second half sometimes happens at super Bowl games. Uh yeah, that's that's that's really a great idea when when you really think, when you think about it. I had there been any studies done jesse on. We know that that people tend to call in sick on Super Bowl Monday, the day after the Super Bowl, but we assume that probably has to do maybe with things like alcohol consumption or wine, beer, et cetera. Has there been any study done on how many people end up with, you know, problems from food born illnesses.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get a.
Speaker 3: New descriptive here, jessup, but I think people know exactly what we're talking about. What is there is there an increase in food born illness problems on Saturday, Sunday evening or Monday morning.
Speaker 9: There haven't been any studies, but I want to remind folks that food born illness is no joke. What we normally call food poisoning. It mirrors sometimes flu symptoms. They don't actually hit you quickly. They might wait a day or two, or it might happen sudden. You never know that their diarrhea, nausea, headache, fever so it hits you, and then if it hits you severely, you need to go see a doctor as soon as possible. The CDC estimates that forty eight million people get sick each year with food born illness, and unfortunately, one hundred and twenty eight thousand are hospitalized and three thousand people actually die from groutborn. He'll just it's put born and illnesses in the United States. So it's no joke. Let's wash our hands before and after we touch raw meat and poultry. Let's cook those items that we're cooking to the safe internal temperatures. And let me share those temperatures with you right now. Either you're cooking meat, whole beef, pork, or lamb, it has to cook to one hundred and forty five degrees fahrenheit. Any type of ground meats like sausages, hot dogs, and hamburgers sliders, they have to cook to one hundred and sixty and any type of poultry, whether it be turkey, burger or chicken wings, you have to cook them to a hundred and sixty five degrees. And if you're going to be reheating anything that's already been cooked, like you said that pizza that that delivered and you have to put it away because your guests are not there, and when you're ready to reheat it, make sure you reheat to one hundred and sixty five. So it's a lot of having to deal with a lot of dishes, especially during Super Bowl when everybody brings their own dishes. So make sure that you have your Futo marmeter available, your seeding sources and cooling sources, and try to have a good pardon.
Speaker 2: You kind of have a game plan.
Speaker 3: Just like the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles have to have a game plan. You have to have a game plan, particular if you're hosting. Anyway, Jesse, appreciate the thoroughness of your presentation. You gave us a lot of information. I hope everybody at least grabbed a little bit of it. And everybody has a great Saturday, or rather Sunday afternoon and evening, and may the best team win. Thanks so much, Jesse, appreciate your time.
Speaker 9: Thank you, have a good night.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. We get back.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about a love story. It's an interesting love story. We're going to talk with the former governor Marty Schreiber, former governor of Wisconsin, whose wife passed a couple of years ago suffering from Alzheimer's and his book is My two Elane's Learning, Coping and Surviving as an Alzheimer's caregiver. And I think that says it all. Looking forward to talking with Governor Marty Schreiber, former governor of the state of Wisconsin, and what he and his wife went through together right after this break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the window World night Side Studios. I' WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: I am delighted to welcome to Nightside the former governor of Wisconsin, Marty Schreiber. He's an author Alzheimer's caretaker of his wife Elaine. Governor Schreiber, welcome to Nightside, sir.
Speaker 6: How are you well, Dan, Good evening too, and what an honor for me to be with you. Thank you so very very much.
Speaker 2: Well, this may not be the first time we were together. Come.
Speaker 3: You were governor of Wisconsin in the summer of nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 6: Correct, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Did you attend the Governor's conference that summer in Louisville, Kentucky. I did, I'll be I was there as a reporter.
Speaker 3: We met at the time, but Ed King was the governor of Massachusetts at the time, and I remember his first his first Governor's conference, and we went down to Louisville, Kentucky. It was first time ever had a chance to meet Bill Clinton.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I just looked it up and I saw you became governor in nineteen seventy nineteen seventy seven when Pat Lucy resigned, I believe to run as John Anderson's running mate.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, first, he's right. He spent some time as ambassador of the Mexico and then he resigned that position to run as vice president with John Anderson.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, you're right. I forgot about the ambassadorship to Mexico. So let's talk about your wonderful wife Lane. I haven't read the book, but I've read the excerpts of the book, and this is a real love story, Governor, and I got to tell you, having seen you know the ravages of Alzheimer's, my hat's off to you, sir, for how much you cared for your wife, who is now pasted sadly. But boy, when you promised you know till death do your part, you kept that promise, Governor, and I just on behalf of a lot of people, men and women. Thank you for that courage, and tell us about the book My Two Elanes, Learning, Coping and Surviving is an Alzheimer's caregiver.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, thank you first of all. So the book My Two Elaines really tells the whole story. And the first Elaine is this wonderful girl I met when I was a freshman in high school and fell in love with right away. And four children and thirteen grandchildren now nine great grandchildren, my friend, my advisor, and my companion, everything that you would ever want in a life's partner. Everything. The second Elaine began to appear when the first Elane was sixty three years old, and it was certainly the same body in the beginning, the same person, but that person back then as second Elaine, began to get lost going to and from places she had been going to and from for ten years. She was a great cook and sometimes would mess up recipes so badly that she would cry. She would come up with stories that just never occurred. So that was a second Elane. And what I found over the period of almost twenty years of being her caregiver. I found that if there was one thing worse than Alzheimer's DAN, it's ignorance of the disease and ignorance of the disease by the medical profession and others who don't understand that when there is a diagnosis of Alzheimer's, there are two patients, a person who was ill and the caregiver. A caregiver has a forty percent chance of dying before their loved one because of stress related illness. A caregiver has a sixty percent higher death rate than non caregivers because of the very emotional, strong toll that this disease takes from the caregiver as they see their loved one pass away a little bit every day, and as they try and cope with the frustration and the anger and the grieving. And so I wrote the book because I wanted to try and help people on their journey.
Speaker 2: Govin how long has the book been out? Is this some relatively recently published?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 6: I self published the book back maybe around twenty thirteen, and then Hyper Publishing picked up the book about three years ago because they felt it was so important nationwide that they felt that that book should should should have a nationwide audience. And so that my two wayl ange with Harper's has been out, as I said, about three years. And what the feedback that I get from the book is just such gratitude because what I try to do in the book is point out to think things I should have known, things that could have done better, And people have told me that it has helped them so much on their journey as they were trying to take care of their loved one well governor.
Speaker 3: The thing that to me is interesting is that I don't think that anyone can understand the amount of stress pressures demians that are put upon a caregiver until they become a caregiver. I've never been a caregiver in that circumstance, but I've had friends and family who have found themselves in that circumstance. And even while that's going on, it's difficult for the non caregiver to even begin to appreciate what the caregiver is dealing with. And I mean that honestly when I say caregivers like you and others, we have to become more supportive of people who find themselves in that situation. You know, in the latter years of a relationship and when someone like you stays as loyal and as supportive, you know to your lifelong partner, this has to be a special place that happened for both of you. And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Well, thank you.
Speaker 6: It's tough, and my heart goes out to every caregiver and in talking to caregivers to try and have them understand that to go for help is a sign of courage. To ask for help means you're not giving up, and many caregivers just want to do it by themselves. They don't want to ask for help. Or what happens is they start off as a loving spouse, caring, loving and they morphed into a caregiver, but they don't know that they're morphing into a caregiver, and because of that, they're not aware of the grieving that they're going through. They are getting angry and upset because their loved one is doing silly, crazy things that they told them not to do for twenty different times, and all that anxiety builds up, and then the guilt steps in because here I love this person and I'm getting angry with them, and now there's guilt associated with it, and so it keeps on mounting and mounting. So caregivers please understand that if you love your one who is ill, and if you love your children and grandchildren, you've got to take care of yourself because your loved one once and here this disease twenty years ago could not be cured or prevented. Today, as we talk on February sixth, it cannot not be cured or prevented. So that's a dismal a forecast. But what we can do is make the determination to help our loved one live their best life possible. And how do we do that by joining their world but also making sure that the caregiver lives their best life possible because if they don't, there court could be useless to the one they love the most.
Speaker 3: Governor Marty Schriber, thank you for your inspiration, thank you for your courage, thank you for your honesty. The book My Two Elanes Learning Coping and Surviving as an Alzheimer's care Caregiver is available. I assume correct me if I'm wrong through Amazon bookstores. I assume Amazon is always the easiest place.
Speaker 2: To find a book. My Tools.
Speaker 6: Alzheimer's Caregiver, Yes, Alzheimer I mean, Amazon is good. We have a website my two elanes dot com, and your your audience may want to take look at that, just to give a further insight. And I stress so much the importance of letting go of the person who once was so you can now embrace the person who now is difficult.
Speaker 3: So well, I said, Governor Shiverer, Thank you so much for your service to the people of Wisconsin and to the to the to the love that you showed both of your lanes. Thanks again, Governor. I hope to meet you someday.
Speaker 6: Dan, thank you very much. I'm grateful for the opportunity to visit with you.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks again. We will hopefully talk again when we come back. We're going to talk with Mayoral aspirin Josh Kraft to be taking your phone calls as well. Again, feel free to join the conversation. I'll speak with him for probably a couple of segments and introduce him to you, and then we'll open up those phone lines. My name is Dan Ray, and this is the four thousandth edition of Night Side