Speaker 1: Happy Memorial Day, almost to say Memorial Day.
Speaker 2: We are we're taking a break on Memorial Day and we're gonna.
Speaker 1: We're taking a point break, a point break this Memorial Day, and we.
Speaker 2: Are gonna re release an old episode. I'm gonna I'm gonna re edit it because now sometimes when I look back at the old episodes, I hear mistakes Erica, and they make me crazy.
Speaker 1: I bet they do. I bet they do.
Speaker 2: They make me crazy. So this is a new edit on the point, not new material, but it's a new edit of old material.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, Okay, thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, It's a little.
Speaker 1: Summer treat for you all. I just all I remember, really is how much fun we had recording this episode. I don't really remember the episode itself very well.
Speaker 2: I remember, I believe. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think this is the first movie that we ever proclaimed to have everything.
Speaker 1: It has everything. I think is this also my first ten?
Speaker 2: Uh? No? I don't know, do you remember. I don't remember what I gave it.
Speaker 1: I definitely gave it a ten. I remember giving it a ten.
Speaker 2: See that I thought, I thought that we would have rated it really high. But then I was like, but it's a it's a basically all white sausage fest. Like, I'm guessing we've tried to make hay out of the fact that is fractionally Asian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that count fault. I don't care. In awesomeness, it's a thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm guessing we gave it like a seven. And then but we're like, but guys, it's a twelve for enjoyment.
Speaker 1: I think I gave it a ten.
Speaker 2: You think you gave it a ten.
Speaker 1: I think I gave it. You probably gave it a seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, I remember, I'm I'm that's what I'm thinking. I said, like a seven, and then with caveats how awesome it is. But Eric, I do have a treat for you, because back in those days, we didn't talk about the movie's tagline. So would you like to know what the tagline for point Break was?
Speaker 1: Via condio?
Speaker 2: Sadly it was not, Ah, the tagline for point Break was twenty seven banks in three years, anything to catch the perfect wave.
Speaker 1: No, that's dumb.
Speaker 2: It's dumb. Now.
Speaker 1: Also, if you haven't already seen the movie, you're like, huh, huh huh. Although that is the energy you want to go into this movie with If I'm being honest, you want to come in with what what? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, Wow. They couldn't possibly do more than one drop from an airplane.
Speaker 2: He's doing two.
Speaker 1: Here's two skydiving scenes.
Speaker 2: All right, everyone, Happy Memorial Day, enjoy point break.
Speaker 1: I am a summer FBI agent for psychic still a thing.
Speaker 2: I would love an explanation.
Speaker 1: I was walking down Bleeker the other day in the West Village and there is a psychic storefront on Bleeker in the West Vilag? Like, how who who pays these people? How much money do you have to make to maintain a business on Bleeker in the West Like the fucking gap had to close.
Speaker 2: You know what, because grifters get the job done.
Speaker 1: I guess. I mean a grift is a grift that is at to me that there are still like several high end locations in this city where there are fucking psychics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will peer into your future.
Speaker 1: For one thousand dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had a psychic reading?
Speaker 1: Once? Yes, I was in New Orleans and like doing the touristy thing where like you pass someone who like does tarot card reading and I don't remember the reading. What I remember is the man who was doing the reading had all these like marks on his knuckles, like.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait wait wait wait, hang on, hang hang on, hang on, hang on, hang on. Hand a man was doing your tarot card reading. That is automatic disqualification.
Speaker 1: No, Paul, this is the twentieth first century. Men can do things. Now.
Speaker 2: I have never had my tarot cards read. But if I did and I walked into a tarot card shop and a man came out with a deck of cards, I would leave.
Speaker 1: You are disgusting. Men can do things to Paul. That's why we had the women's mark.
Speaker 2: I have never met people more obtuse and unable to view the future than men.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. The guy had these like tattoos on his knuckles, and like, while he's shuffling the cards or whatever, I'm like, what's the what are those tattoos? And he's like, that's one for every year I was in prison.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, I'm Paul America, and this is that aged.
Speaker 1: Well, yesterday's pop culture today.
Speaker 2: Tonight after a glass of wine would be more accurate for this one.
Speaker 1: That's right, it is nighttime.
Speaker 2: In Brooklyn, and we have both had some wine.
Speaker 1: And this is the greatest movie we have ever discussed, so it's perfect, Paul, what film are we covering today? Point Break nineteen ninety one's point fucking Break.
Speaker 2: An American action film directed by.
Speaker 1: Hi Catherine big Ala.
Speaker 2: Future Oscar Award winner for Best Director, the only woman to ever win that award. Hey, listeners, future Paul here again. This was recorded in twenty nineteen. What I just said was accurate at the time, but you know since then. Welcome to the club, Chloe Ja Chloe Joao. I'm not sure to say her last name. Welcome to the club, Jane Campion. Love that Catherine Bigelow was not alone here any longer. And place your bets on how many of these I'm gonna have to do in the course of this episode. All right, back to the show, Catherine Bigelow.
Speaker 1: However, air horns sound, I can't do them.
Speaker 2: I was making a fireworks out.
Speaker 1: I was doing the air hoorn, but that's not right.
Speaker 2: Point Break was written by W. Peter Eiliff. It stars Patrick Swayzee, Keanu Reeves, Lori Petty, and Gary Busey.
Speaker 1: I mean, has a better trio, has a better quartet of actors ever? Been listening. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: This is this is a true for the ages.
Speaker 2: I love Patrick Swayze, but when he is the best actor in your movie, that might not be the best thing.
Speaker 1: No, or is it? Is it the best thing?
Speaker 2: Because he is significantly better than these other reactors?
Speaker 1: Shut your dirty face, Shut up, Gary Busey is perfect. There was a remake Up Point Break, released in twenty fifteen. I didn't see it, did you?
Speaker 2: I didn't, but I read up on it. It got some very negative reviews. Oh it has a ten percent critical rating and a twenty nine percent audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Yeah, yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, this movie doesn't need a remake. No, No, movie is already it. It doesn't need to reach you know what.
Speaker 2: This movie needs a re release in theaters. I would go see this movie in.
Speaker 1: IMAX one hundred percent. Yeah, okay. The film was nearly produced in nineteen eighty six, with Ridley Scott directing. Actually, that could have been really good too. Matthew broad Rick, No, Johnny Depp, Val Kilmer, and Charlie Sheen were all reportedly considered for Johnny Utah. Val Kilmer actually Kilmer could play the Patrick swayzey role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could do either one.
Speaker 1: He could do either one. He's actually excellent. Other potential titles for the film include Johnny Utah and Writers on the Storm, both excellent.
Speaker 2: I would have watched both.
Speaker 1: This movie should have been called point break colon Writers on the Storm colin exclamation point.
Speaker 2: The film was nominated for three MTV Movie Awards is prestigious, including Best Action Sequence for the second jump out of the Plane and Most Desirable Male for both Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayzee, which Reeves won.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to admit I haven't seen an MTV Movie Award in quite some time. Is there still a Most Desirable Male?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That seems old timing to me.
Speaker 2: But I mean, we did Cruel Intentions and they won Best Kiss, so that.
Speaker 1: Was that I get though. Yeah, most desirable it's.
Speaker 2: It's not like it's also mail. Not man, it's.
Speaker 1: Also just the way it's it's most desirable mail sounds like something your grandmother would say to you about, like, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Signed most desirable mail in your great.
Speaker 1: Hi, I find him the most desirable.
Speaker 2: Okay, listeners, it's me again. Future Paul here. I can't believe we didn't do a deeper dive into this when we had the chance the MTV Movie Award for Most Desirable Mail just to teaser, we're going to get into this in the next Patreon episode. Everyone, if you want to hear about it, sign up for the Patreon. This is excellent stuff. Okay, back to the show.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and three, a theatrical production called Point Break Live premiered. Each performance features an audience member in the role of Johnny Utah, who reads his or her lines off of laminated cards and is led around by a stage crew member. Paul, guess what, Yeah, I saw you did? I did oh at a theater in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 1: It was hilarious?
Speaker 2: Was it because it's a spoof?
Speaker 1: The dude, the dude who did Gary Busey was like, perfect, Okay, that's all I really remember. It's a spoof. Yeah, it's like it's one of those silly Yeah, it's actually I saw it before I saw the movie, okay, which was but still fucking funny as hell.
Speaker 2: Point Break has a sixty nine percent critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a seventy nine percent audience.
Speaker 1: Audience score should be one hundred.
Speaker 2: One hundred and ten hundred. They should have broken the meter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should have broken the internet. Come the fuck on. Sixty nine is perfect?
Speaker 2: Sixty nine is perfect. I am not as in love with the movie as you.
Speaker 1: You're wrong.
Speaker 2: I love it. I've actually think this might be one where I wind up loving it more at the end of this than I do right now. But I would say, like a solid ninety percent on the audience score is correct a hundred.
Speaker 1: Name a more entertaining movie than this one. You can't You fucking can't.
Speaker 2: The Lost Boys no answer to everything.
Speaker 1: This is better, This is more. This is a more entertaining film than The Lost Boys. I stand by.
Speaker 2: That podcast over there.
Speaker 1: It's also very gay.
Speaker 2: Paul, Well, you don't have to tell me that it could have been gayer, and we're gonna get into how it could have.
Speaker 1: Been it could have been gayer, all right, Paul, When did you first see the genius at his point break?
Speaker 2: I first saw this movie twenty four hours ago.
Speaker 1: And have you have you been changed forever? Has your molecular structure been totally altered by the experience?
Speaker 2: You know what? My biggest takeaway from it was was a I love Patrick Swaythey but b Keanu Reeves has had this like keynnaissance over the laste last like a year or so. And he's just like truly one of the most beloved performers in Hollywood. Like no one has a bad thing to say about him. He's apparently just a really truly wonderful person. Gee but love Yeah, and I forgot how bad of an actor he is. She is. I mean, you should do a double header with this in Showgirls like that. It's that level of like what the fuck is going on at certain points. We're gonna get to the synopsis soon, and the synopsis is perfect.
Speaker 1: I can't fucking wait. We'll talk more about Cannu later.
Speaker 2: When did you first see the movie?
Speaker 1: So weirdly, not when it came out, not even when I was a teenager, not even when I was I think I was like thirty.
Speaker 2: I think that maybe actually been the perfect time for you to have seen it.
Speaker 1: Because what happened was a friend was visiting from out of town. She was staying at my house. I was in the shower, I came out of the shower. She is watching Point Break on my TV, and I'm like is this that movie about the surfers? And she was like, I'm sorry, have you never seen Point Break? And I was like no, and She's like, you would fucking love this movie. And I like recorded her to something and I watched it by myself on like a Sunday afternoon, and by the end, I was standing up from the couch like yelling at the TV and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I love this movie. It inspired you, it lifted you to your feet.
Speaker 1: It is cardiovascular activity for me watching this movie.
Speaker 2: It is a true standing ovation.
Speaker 1: Truly, I feel like Stefan when I'm talking about this movie. This movie has everything. We'll get into that later, but like she, I bless that friend, because she's right, this is my kind of movie. And so I saw at that time. I hadn't seen it again though since yesterday, Oh my god, I watched it second time yesterday. Paul I was the one who did the like synopsis breakdown for us this time. Normally I can watch the movie and just type as I'm watching it. It took me three hours to watch this movie because I refuse to look down from the screen. I had to pause it to like write my notes and write what's happening and then like start up again. And then at one point my roommate walks in and I was like, oh my god, you have to watch this movie. Guys. Watch point break. Yeah, you know what, this is a really short episode. Just watch a point break ten out of ten?
Speaker 2: Bye? Oh? Do you have an actual synopsis for the movie?
Speaker 1: I do? Actual synopsis? Is this movie is perfect?
Speaker 2: You guys? I think Erica likes the movie. Listeners, I have a spoiler. Erica likes the movie.
Speaker 1: What's the synopsis? What's the actual iTunes synopsis?
Speaker 2: Oh right, Oh, I forgot to read that part. Okay, iTunes synopsis. Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze Star and the NonStop action thriller about an FBI agent lured by the Rush when he goes undercover to unmask a band of thrill seeking surfers who rob banks to fund their addiction to pulling off the most daring score, surviving the greatest danger, and riding the biggest wave. Point break, mic drop. That is one sentence.
Speaker 1: You're right, it is. That's how the movie feels, though. It is like someone took a deep breath and just started talking and didn't stop for two hours.
Speaker 2: This is the best synopsis we have ever encountered, because it's also just bad English, which also works at the movie.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, yep, yep, yep, yep. It's got everything. It's got FBI agents, it's got undercover, undercover cops.
Speaker 2: Thrill seeking surfers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rob Banks, Banks, addiction to pulling off.
Speaker 2: Scores, surviving great dangers.
Speaker 1: I'd love it. This movie is perfect. All right, stick around. We're gonna talk about point fucking.
Speaker 2: Break and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back. We're gonna talk point break.
Speaker 2: We sure are. I think I might be. I might be more of an audience member of this one. Erica can't sit still. She's like wiggling in her seat like someone is tickling her.
Speaker 1: It's the memory of the movie tickling me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So this movie opens on a slow motion shot of people surfing at dawn. It's ecstatic, it's almost spiritual.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're joking, but it really is. The shots of people surfing in the ocean in this movie are genuinely stunning.
Speaker 1: Genuinely so. Catherine Bigelow is a legit director. Yeah, she's She's made some silly movies, this this being the pinnacle of.
Speaker 2: Her sing one of them, but like she.
Speaker 1: Still brings her a game. She's like, I know how to tell a story. I know good structure. I know how to get you to like all the characters, even the bad ones. I know about a charismatic villain. I know about cinematography, like the movie's beautiful top to bottom. So juxtaposed with those like slow motion shots of like surfers are like images of Keanu Reeves in the rain at Quantico.
Speaker 2: Not in the rain in a downpour any months suit.
Speaker 1: So we're getting at here is Keanu Reeves in a wet T shirt and like slicked back hair looking hot as fuck? Yeah he really does at Quantico. At like marksmanship training the FBI, he gets one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But the marksmanship training he has to shoot these like cardboard cutouts that they look like like characters in a carnival. Like this can't be what Quantico training looks like?
Speaker 1: What if it is?
Speaker 2: It looks like he's shooting character from the children's game Guess who.
Speaker 1: They're all bad guys. You all deserve to get shot. Yeah, he gets on.
Speaker 2: So we know that Johnny Utah is a good marksman.
Speaker 1: We do know that, and we also show his name is Johnny Utah.
Speaker 2: Not John Utah, not Jonathan.
Speaker 1: Utah, not Jonathan Taylor Utah, Johnny Utah. This is a movie with a character who's a main character is unronically named Johnny Utah, who is ironically from Ohio and who is a quarterback, like a star athlete from college football, and all the other characters recognize him when they see him because he was like what was his name, Johnny Manziel or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like like Johnny unitas college quarterbacks. Yeah, hey, listeners, me again, Future Paul. I think this is the last one in this episode. I was just thinking about the fact that we have Johnny Utah who is canonically a football quarterback, and that relates to bo both Charlie Baltimore from Long Kiss, good Night for the naming convention and also Flash Gordon of Flash Gordon for the quarterbacking. And what an amazing movie we would have if Charlie Baltimore and Johnny Utah and Flash Gordon teamed up to save the world. Okay, back to the show, all right.
Speaker 1: Then we next joined Johnny on his first day at the FBI's la Field office. We meet his director, Ben Harp, played.
Speaker 2: By John C.
Speaker 1: Mcinley, who you might know from Scrubs. He was the I can't remember the character's name, the mean doctor on Scrubs.
Speaker 2: Dude, doctor Cox.
Speaker 1: Well done, my friend, thank you. Harp is showing him around. He's warning him that he doesn't care for guff. He doesn't care for people going off on their own, no renegades in his field. He likes data, he likes good investigative work. They run the Bank Robbery Division. La County has the most bank robberies of anywhere in the world, over thirteen hundred and last year alone.
Speaker 2: Go big or go home is what you say.
Speaker 1: And for some reason, he immediately hates Johnny. Everyone hates him the second they meet.
Speaker 2: Him, and like you've given a hint that he's kind of like an arrogant dick, but like he's actually not acting like that to anybody. It's like when they walk away, he makes like an Erican comment. But why does everyone hate this guy? He looks like Keanu Reeves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they keep calling him a blue flame, a blue flame from Quantico. Listen, kid, I don't care about your hot shot Quantico Quantico training here, You're just nobody. You're lower than low at the investigative office in La so Harp is a total dick. This will come back later in the film. It will also his dickishness makes him the worst FBI agent. We're gonna talk about that later.
Speaker 2: So we meet Johnny's partner, Angelo Pappis now Erica. When you hear the name Angelo Pappis, yep, do you perhaps picture someone Mediterranean and.
Speaker 1: Al Pacino perhaps, Yeah, Joe Peshi.
Speaker 2: Something like that, A DeNiro, A Paul Sorvino, Yes.
Speaker 1: Paul who plays Angelo Pappus in this film. Gary Busey, Gary fucking Bucy.
Speaker 2: This is another And so now we're at another FBI training session. Although this is not a quantico. This is just training that the agents have to do. Yeah, that they have to dive into a pool blindfolded and retrieve bricks from the bottom of the pool.
Speaker 1: Yep, what is the purpose? What's funny is even the character in the movie is like, well, I do bank robberies.
Speaker 2: Why the fuck do I have to do this?
Speaker 1: I understand why I have to learn this at all. Is it an excuse to have Gary Busey and in his bathing suit because I don't need it. I'm fine with that. I don't need that either. So, yeah, he's introduced to Johnny. He doesn't realize Johnny is his partner yet and he's like, Ah, I'm getting some new shit fucking ar blah blah blah blahah partner, some asshole from Quantico. And Johnny's like, yeah, that sounds terrible. And then someone's like, oh, hey, Papas, I see you met your new partner Johnny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he takes off the blindfold e man. So we cut to a bank robbery. It's midday and it's four men and they're all wearing suits and the masks of ex presidents. They're Reagan, Nixon, Johnson, and Carter.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this because if they in twenty fifteen, when they remade the movie where they, I guess it wouldn't have been in this one yet, but like it would have been like Trump, Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, which just makes the whole thing a lot weirder and sadder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so these guys are pros. They're in and out, they avoid all the traps. The guy playing Nixon takes the time to actually do a Nixon impersonation.
Speaker 1: Yes, that shows a professional. Yeah, that's shows someone who cares about the character.
Speaker 2: Development, takes his job seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of the character he's portraying. Yeah, they're in and out in ninety seconds. They know to avoid the die packs. They never hit the vault. They only hit the cash registers because they're not greedy. They're just trying to get in and out. So these robbers have been foiling the FBI for three years. They've hit twenty seven banks in three years. There's no leads, No one has any idea who these four are.
Speaker 2: Is there any example in modern times of like a crew of bank robbers being this successful.
Speaker 1: Not that I don't even know of bank robberies.
Speaker 2: No, me either.
Speaker 1: I feel like they don't even make the news if they even happen anymore. Has there been a bank robbery in the last decade.
Speaker 2: There must have been, I just haven't heard of it me either.
Speaker 1: It's not even like on my top one hundred fears. I guess it is over ATMs now caught in a bank robbery.
Speaker 2: So as they're leaving, Nixon bends over moons the hostages thank you on each thanking you on his cheeks. Yes, butt report, Uh huh, it's a good butt.
Speaker 1: It's a fine butt.
Speaker 2: Good spring back, yep, spring back. The clapping gets a nice ripple going.
Speaker 1: Also, they do have a close up of it later because it's a freeze frame at the FBI office.
Speaker 2: As I'm looking at the footage and you can't not see his butthole.
Speaker 1: This movie has everything. It even has Buttholes, has Gary Busey, it has Keanu Reeves, it has Buttholes, It has Jimmy Carter masks. All right. So, so after the robbery. Post robbery, we're at the bank, Papas is downloading Johnny on like who who this gang is and the fact that they've been foiling the FBI for three years, and the other FBI agents that are there are kind of like ribbing Pappis because he apparently has some theory as to who these people are. And they're like, you're such a fucking idiot for having a theory and being a cup I hate you. He suck everyone in this movie because he hates everyone on contact. It's so ridiculous. He's like, how dare you try to do your job, you asshole. So after they hit the bank, they dumped the car, the getaway car on Mulholland Drive, and Johnny volunteers him and Papas to go look at the getaway car. Papas is annoyed as fuck. He's like, I just want to go home, Like we're never gonna catch these guys. Their ghosts. Don't forget about it. Man, it's Chinatown. And Ken's like, Hey, I know you're dead inside, but I'm not. I'm Keanu Reeves. I'm wide eyed and hopeful about the world right and I would actually like to do my fucking job. And he kind of riles up Papus. He calls him like a washed up Vietnam vet, which I forgot was a thing you could say to someone in the eighties, which doesn't feel like it's okay to say that, but they want to.
Speaker 2: They start screaming at each other, like this is a full dick swinging contest. And we are seven minutes into this movie. We've already had a butthole, We've already in bead of robbery. This movie is throwing everything at the wall to see what stick.
Speaker 1: But also like they've known each other for four hours at this point, like and they're just already fucking screaming at each other. It's like the FBI office is run by prison rules. You just beat someone up on the first day.
Speaker 2: If one of them was a woman, they would fuck by the end of this movie.
Speaker 1: A hundred percent. By the end of the scene, perhaps ye. So Johnny riles up Papus enough to get him to like him. Suddenly he's like, all right, can't I see what you're doing? And I like your moxie. So they become friendly and he's like, all right, so tell me your theory. I know the other cops are dismissive of your theory, but what is your theory? And Pappus is like their surfers. And at first Johnny's like, Okay, maybe you're stupid and old, and he's like, no, no, listen to listen to the facts. And there are this compelling evidence there was surf wax found in one of the crime scenes. There's tan lines on the met you can see through the masks enough to see some tan lines also on the butt cheeks.
Speaker 2: On the butt cheeks, that's what the tandline he's referring to. That's that's when we get the butthole. Look at this tan line. I'm like, how can I look at the tan line when that thing is winking at me?
Speaker 1: Like giving me the old brown wink. Yeah, and these robberies follow like a geographical pattern that surfers follow, like itinerant surfers that go up and down the coast depending on where like the good surf is.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So that's why he has a theory that these are surfers like a gang. And Johnny's like, you know what compelling, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they decide they're going to send Johnny undercover. We know he's an ex quarterback, he's very athletic. They figure he'll be able to learn how to.
Speaker 1: Surf twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he goes and he buys a surfboard from an insufferable child.
Speaker 1: It's baby Kristin Stewart, right, that is, that's actually not actually but that kid looks so much like baby Christin Stewart.
Speaker 2: I saw a Kulkin, but I can see Kristin stew like.
Speaker 1: Like a Stuart Culkin hybrid. Yeah, created in the lab out on the paramount lot.
Speaker 2: PAPIs just tells him about their surf tribe. So like basically there are groups of guys who surf together and they kind of stick to their own group.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they all have like different, like almost gangs, Like they have different personalities. You can't just walk up to the beach and like try to be friends with them. You have to break into the crowd. So a couple of exchanges at the surf shop, the little kid is like, it is so nice that you're trying something new at your age, at your advanced age, and Keanu Reyes is like, I'm twenty five, and then he starts to surf and he's terrible at it. He's like almost breaks his neck. When I was twenty five, Paul, what did you try surfing?
Speaker 2: Did you really?
Speaker 1: And it's so hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so so hard.
Speaker 1: I never felt more seen by a movie. I was like, no, get out of the water.
Speaker 2: You really are too old for this.
Speaker 1: You if you haven't learned it by now, it's too late. Have you ever tried surfing?
Speaker 2: I haven't. Every every summer my nephews go and they take lessons and they see if I want to go, and I'm always like no, it's so very difficult.
Speaker 1: The boards are heavy, oh yeah, and so like your arms get tired and then you have to it's like skateboarding on water. You have to have enough balance to stay out. I found it to be impossible, so I was like, yes, I understand this movie on another level.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he's trying to surf. He basically almost drowns because he's just trying. He doesn't get any lessons or anything. He just goes out there to try to do it, and he's saved by Tyler played by Lori Petty.
Speaker 1: Yep, the romantic interest in this film is Lori Petty.
Speaker 2: Lori Petty has this weird energy that really works for some things and really doesn't work in others. And I can't tell if it works in this or not.
Speaker 1: I kind of think it does.
Speaker 2: I'm leaning towards it does, because the whole movie is so bizarre that the fact that she's like always on the upbeat rather than the downbeat, it kind of works. Yes, Like, and she also from a certain angle, she has her hair chopped really short and it's dyed black and it makes her eyes pop. And from a certain angle she looks just like Courton Cox.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. She's also it's a quirky choice. Yeah, Like I like it, Like they could have gone with like a blonde bombshell or like a beach bunny or and she.
Speaker 2: Does look strong which is nice.
Speaker 1: She looks like a tomboy. Yeah, and I think she does an excellent job in the movie. I think she's very convincing. Yeah, but you're right, her energy is weird. Kanu reeves also energy. It's like a whole group of actors who have weird fucking energy, and none of them are on the same wavelength the whole movie.
Speaker 2: Everyone's going off in their own direction, being like I got this, follow me, guys, guys, hey, hey, where's everyone? All?
Speaker 1: Read one one word of the script and they're like done.
Speaker 2: I got it, surfing them in. So she yells at in for being a reckless newbie. She leaves him on the shore, but he gets her license plate and he tracks her and he's trying to figure out a way to get in with her. Basically, yes, and he finds out that both of her parents died in a plane crash when she was twenty.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: His reaction to this is got it, got it.
Speaker 1: I know, it's very cop like.
Speaker 2: It is real weird.
Speaker 1: It's very like he's a cop, right, and so he's like just doing what he has to do to get get shit done. It's intense and like cutthroat. Also here quick I'm gonna do it with a quick thank you to the actress who plays the FBI data analyst in the scene, because she's very She's given like two lines, but she has decided to make this character sexually, voracious and queer. She's like obsessed with Lori Petty. As soon as she hears about her, she's like, ooh, she's got black hair and blue eyes. Good choice, Utah, And she's like, she's like trying to pal around with him being one of the guys. I fucking love this actress and this character. It's this is it. You won't see her again, but envy fucking pay of the movie.
Speaker 2: So Johnny tracks Tyler down. He gives her a story about how both of his parents died and how he realized he was living out the goals that they had set for him and now he has to live his own life and he has this calling to be a.
Speaker 1: Surfer, right Like, he decided to move to the West Coast and he's never seen the ocean in his life and suddenly he can't get enough of the ocean. It's just dumb enough that it works on her because she's like, again, it's Keanu Reeves but also it's smart because he peppers in like real information about himself, so that if anyone did any type of searching on him, they'd be like, oh, yeah, Johnny Utah used to play football, went to law school, blah blah blah. Of course, he leaves out the part about being an FBI agent, so she agrees to help him. She's like, I'll give you one surf lesson because she's like he's like broken through her like tough girl exterior. She's like, be here at six am tomorrow. If you're even a minute late, I'm out. This is why I could never be a surfer, Paul, aside from the fact that it's really hard and I'm very lazy. You have to do it early in.
Speaker 2: The morning, and apparently it's time sensitive. You can't be late.
Speaker 1: Gross gross ew ew. Any sport that you have to do before the sun comes up pass, hard, pass.
Speaker 2: So this montage is fairly extended, And at this point in the movie, I am thinking, where the fuck is my Patrick Swayzey.
Speaker 1: Because we kind of have blown past it, like really quick through the beginning of the movie, but we're like thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where is Patrick? I know he's in the movie, where is he give him to me?
Speaker 1: Now, every time we say there is a montage, it is an eight minute montage. So that first montage of Canner reeves like almost dying surfing, and again now this one, they're like a full five minutes each.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all beautifully shot.
Speaker 1: There's something really like hypnotic about the movie. Yeah, I love I love this movie. So Paul who should appear as they're gliding through the water and Johnny looks into the ocean. My Patrick, Patrick Swayze is this peak Patrick Swayze.
Speaker 2: No, Johnny Castle is peak Patrick Swazey.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna disagree with you.
Speaker 2: I'm not going indeed be hearing arguments. You are allowed to express an incorrect opinion.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to disagree with you because there's something about beech bum Patrick swayzey that is so appealing. The tan, the like stubble, the longer hair, the fact that he wears literally the dumbest outfits of anyone in the whole movie but makes them work.
Speaker 2: Make them sexiest.
Speaker 1: Holy shit. Yeah, he wears like Palazzo pants at one point, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, would do.
Speaker 1: He wears one of those dumb sweatshirts that like all the kids who thinks they're they're white kids who think they're Rostafarians where and he makes it look hot Yep, impossible, Patrick Swayzey. It looks like he's doing his own stunts.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. When I was doing research for the movie, they all three of them learned how to surf. And Patrick Swayze, I think extra said wind up breaking like four ribs doing it oo like he was doing. I don't know that he's doing all like the super difficult stuff. But like most of the shots of them surfing in the movie are the actual actors surfing.
Speaker 1: Wow? Yet because there's a scene is Gore just shot of him like with the water kind of cascading over him as he's gliding through like a tunnel and you can see clearly it's Patrick Swayze's face.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful, I.
Speaker 1: Mean stunning, and like he's a dancer, right, so he knows how to move his body to maximum effect to like create a look and damn.
Speaker 2: So he runs up and he just plants one on Tyler right in front of Johnny.
Speaker 1: But first before let's talk about like he sees body but his name is body. Patrick Swayzey. Johnny sees Body and immediately is like, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my pants are tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like he is into Body, right.
Speaker 2: Like I'm talking about his erection.
Speaker 1: He's like entranced, and which as we all should be, because Body is stunningly he's a surf of God. Yeah, but like I just want to mention that because from the jump, these two are obsessed with each other.
Speaker 2: Continue, So Body runs up, He kisses Tyler right in front of right in front of Johnny says, oh, are you replacing me? And she asks, well, where have you been? And he brushes it off. And so clearly they have a history, but doesn't seem like they're actually currently dating. They maybe used to sleep together or something. Yeah, this is not like, oh I've been caught cheating situation. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She says at one point, oh, yeah, I know him, that's Body, and then she talks about him and how he's like a she doesn't say surf junkie. She says something like he's looking for the ultimate ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's intense, he'll do anything to get the perfect wave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so she knows about him. So, but the two men start sizing each other up, kind of like hmm, okay, hmm okay, and then Johnny catches a football that someone throws and there's no like, hey, do you want to play with us? They just cut to a scene of all of them playing football on the beat.
Speaker 2: They also cut to a scene that's clearly hours later, because it goes to a full night with a bonfire. I can only assume that Body and Johnny fucked in the sand during that time.
Speaker 1: Let's say, yes, behind the dunes on top of their surfboards.
Speaker 2: So they're playing, and at a certain point, Johnny winds up tackling Body into the surf.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because Johnny is so clearly better than everyone else, but in like a hilariously like they are way overmatched the whole team. He tackles like seven guys to get to Body, who has the ball, and then like tackles him in the in the ocean. Yeah, and they all get They wind up all wet and tangled with each other. Yeah, And some of the other guys are like, yo, man's that wasn't cool, And Body's like, no, it's fine. Don't you guys recognize him? That's Johnny Utah. As soon as he says that, all the other guys are like, oh, dude, from the Rose Bowl two years ago.
Speaker 2: We find out he had to sustained a career ending injury on his knee, which is the only reason he didn't go to the NFL. Yeah, just the idea that these beach bums would care enough about college football.
Speaker 1: That is true. That's not two cultures that I feel like mixed.
Speaker 2: We don't see these guys watch TV the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Or give a fuck about any.
Speaker 2: Sort I think other than surfing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's so. That is weird. But maybe that's like their winter thing because they can't surf in the winter, so they watch college football. Sure, let's do that.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, so they kind of accept Johnny into their tribe at that point. Cut to the FBI office. Johnny springs his surfboard. By the way, you should mention is magenta.
Speaker 1: It iss. It is commented on by every real surfer in the movie. They're all like, well, that's that's quite a board you have there. He bought like the dumbest gurliest. It's like magenta and has like a sun sunrise on it or something. It's not good. No, he brings his board to the office. There's a scene where harp. The director like reams him and pop Us out for wasting their time on surfers when like, apparently two weeks have passed and these guys have already hit two more banks, so they're getting nowhere with these like spending their days at the beach. And he's just like, he's such an asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love when a character is just an unredeemable asshole for no reason. McGinley plays it so perfectly.
Speaker 2: Oh, he is one of our great assholes on film. Not as great as the asshole we saw earlier, but close close.
Speaker 1: All right. So he reams them out. So basically they're they're in hot water with the FBI, but they get a break in the case. One of the guards at one of the banks that these guys hit in the last two weeks got some hair off of one of the guys, off of one of the bank robbers, and the hare has traces of certain toxins that you find it like chemical spills. So this actually does enhance the theory that these are surfers, because these are people who spend a lot of time in the water. So now he hit a scene where Johnny and Papus go up and down the coast to like beaches that have been closed because of chemical spills. Yeah, and the steel hair from surfers.
Speaker 2: Papus does it by literally just clipping the hair off their heads.
Speaker 1: Like he finds two guys on the beach that are smoking weed, I think, and he's like, I'm a cop and they're like, oh fuck, we're in trouble. He's like, nope, I'm just gonna need your hair, and he literally just cuts the hair and walks away.
Speaker 2: And Johnny like pretends this other guy has like a bug on him and he just rips some hair out of his head. He's like, oh, I got the bug? What is happening.
Speaker 1: Also, Johnny his undercover undercover Personona here is Ted from Bill and Ted. He's like, dude, I got the bug. And I was like, oh my god. I needed to hear that voice so badly in this movie. I'm so glad he did it. He doesn't do it again, which is unfortun Yeah, but we do get a littlettle taste of Bill Yeah from Bill and Dead.
Speaker 2: So Johnny starts surfing at the beach, Pappus does the steak out, So Papas is like the guy his backup, Yeah, and Johnny pisses off a local surf group that we later find out are surf Nazis. Yeah, do you know where else we saw surf Nazis?
Speaker 1: The Lost Boys? Are these twin films?
Speaker 2: They are?
Speaker 1: Is this the Romulus and Remiss for movies? Should we end the podcast after this?
Speaker 2: We've peaked When they said surf Nazis, I just about fell off the couch from a seated position. These are the people who get killed by the Lost Boys and the Lost Boys.
Speaker 1: Yes, so this is a tribe of asshole surf like meth head surfers.
Speaker 2: Did you catch who one of them is?
Speaker 1: Anthony Ketis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This movie has everything. It has chemical spills, it has surfboards, it has the lead singer to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And you know what, he's not bad, No, he's fine. It's one of the better like musical musical.
Speaker 2: I mean he's asked to do very little.
Speaker 1: Like when a musician is like in a movie sometimes they're just they stick out, and he actually fits in beautifully.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a weird scene where so Johnny goes to surf at this beach that they have now determined is the beach where these guys hang out, and he's like accosted by all the locals. They're they're like, there's one guy that actually punches him in the face and says politeness is key man. And he's punching him in the face because I guess Johnny got in his way while they were surfing. Then Johnny goes to have We're treated to an amazing shot of Cannon Reeves under like a water as he's like washing himself.
Speaker 2: On the beach, sadly still in a wet suit, still.
Speaker 1: In a wetsuit, but that's okay because we're about to get a shirtless Patrick sways and four of the surf Nazis like circle him and they're like, we don't like outsiders in our in our on our little beach, and he's like, fuck off, I'm not afraid of you. They don't know they're talking to an FBI agent, and they just start to kick the shit out of him, and he fights back pretty hard in his defense. But then body comes in like a angel.
Speaker 2: Again. We have karate, we have like kicks. It's not like a it's not like a It.
Speaker 1: Felt like the heat had just done the movie Roadhouse and like Patrick Swayzey and like the and like Catherine Bigelow was like, can you still remember those Roadhouse moves? Because I don't want to have to get into a choreographer.
Speaker 2: Yeah for this, you.
Speaker 1: Want to just do it yourself. And he's like fuck yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I also like, I wouldn't recommend kicking someone with a bare foot unless you really know what you're doing. I mean, easy way to break a toe.
Speaker 1: Patrick Swayzey knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So shirtless sex god Patrick Swayzey comes in and the two of them take on the entire surf Nazi game and win and win. So then they're leaving the beach and as they're leaving the beach, Pappas comes in. He's Undercover two and he's like, hey, have you guys seen my dog or whatever? And Patrick Swayzey's like, oh not. Patrick Swayzey Canneryves is like no, but you might want to ask those four guys on the beach there like signaling to his partner, I think we found our crew of bank robbers. And then we're treated to like another like scene of body and Johnny falling in love as they walked to the car, and Body starts to talk about his like his spiritual quest and that's why he surfs, and how like guys like that don't understand it. They might enjoy the sport of surfing, but they'll all they want to do is get radical, which I love early nineties lingo. All they care about is getting radical, man, and they don't understand that, like surfing is about being one with the earth. Blah blah blah blah. I could barely listen to it. Like if he did not look like Patrick Swayzey, I'd be like, fuck off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But they're also kind of setting him up to be this cult of personality like that that he's supposed to have this charisma that is almost irresistible. Yes, And I mean.
Speaker 1: I think Patrick's rale.
Speaker 2: Pulls it off pretty well.
Speaker 1: He's like a guru. He's like, he's like a shitty Charles Manson guru.
Speaker 2: Right. So Body invites Johnny over to his house that night because he's having a party in his pants. Before that, Johnny and Pappus are tailing the surf Nazis. They find out they have a history of violent crime and.
Speaker 1: They're lots of drug offenses.
Speaker 2: Yeap. So they put a detail on their house and they get a warrant to raid the house. Yeah, next morning.
Speaker 1: The plan is to by by morning the warrant should come through and the FBI is going to raid the house.
Speaker 2: This is incredibly shoddy detective work.
Speaker 1: I know literally, like they're kind of dicks. So they're probably are bank robbers, yeah, forget the fact that these guys are clearly like all mentally ill, yeah, and probably couldn't pull off a complicated bank run.
Speaker 2: Don't even check the whereabouts, like, come on a little more. I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a theme in this film. There's a lot of real shoddy police work.
Speaker 2: So Johnny goes to the party Tyler's with him. There are fire eaters at this party.
Speaker 1: There are fire This movie has everything. It has fire eaters, it has it has Lori Petty in a really really cute velvet dress. It has Patrick Swayzey eating a line out of a woman's mouth.
Speaker 2: Its everyone's talking about riding the big Wave. Body tells Johnny that once every fifty years is a winter storm off of Antarctica that creates the largest surf man has ever seen off of Bell's beach in Australia and that he intends to ride and possibly die in it next year.
Speaker 1: That's like the greatest, the greatest way to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's so funny too, is I love this movie, but if I met any of these characters in real life, I'd hate them on site.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I pushed them into traffic immediately immediately.
Speaker 1: Who's the one character you think you could be friends with in this movie? I'm gonna go with the FBI analyst lady.
Speaker 2: I think I could be friends with Tyler.
Speaker 1: She's a lot.
Speaker 2: She's a lot, but at least is holding down a job and like, I mean, she likes surfing. We wouldn't have a lot in common, but she seems like to generally basically have her shit together.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough. Also, she's the aside from Johnny, she's the only person in this tribe that doesn't have like a weird, dumb, fake made name. Literally, everyone's like, my name's Roach, my name's I don't know, win, Romit, wind Hammer, I don't know what would your surf name be?
Speaker 2: Oh oh well, my first thought is maybe, like, because everyone would know that I'm scared of sharks, they would just call me shark. So when they the people just keep yelling shark at me while I was in the ocean.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're you're anticipating your friends being dicks.
Speaker 2: Or maybe they'd call me because Glee famously said that dolphins are gay sharks, So maybe I would be dolphins.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice. I like that.
Speaker 2: What would yours be?
Speaker 1: Mine would be hump back because I would rule the ocean. And also I have a terrible hump on my back. That would be fine. Okay, so you okay, So Tyler, I like the only two like people we could that are not insufferable, or the only two women.
Speaker 2: In the movie. Only two.
Speaker 1: This movie does not pass the Bechtel test.
Speaker 2: Oh it doesn't even try to.
Speaker 1: No, there's literally one female character with a name. And then we have the data analyst lady who's just given me life.
Speaker 2: And the surf not yetes.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, they're coming up. Tyler's bored with all their casual attitudes about dying in the ocean, because remember she's someone who's experienced death, and she's like, you know what, guys, it's not so cool. So she goes in the house and Johnny comes after her. They're just kind of like chatting about about Body and about how like intense this all, this whole situation is. And Body comes in and he's like, I have an idea. You guys follow me, and he takes them out for a midnight surf and Johnny is very smartly terrified. He's like, oh, I can't even surf in the day during daylight, Like I'm gonna die out here. He keeps saying, I'm gonna die out here. I don't want to do this Lori. Petty's character kind of is like it's fine, you'll be okay. Body like swims up next to him and in his sexy Patrick's swayzy voice is like just listen to the water Man and Johnny's like okay, and then they surf together, and that's I think the moment Johnny falls in love with surfing, right, and well, he's already been in love with Body. He'd been Johnny ben Body that made no sense. But he's like now fully in love with surfing. He's like ecstatic. He has this like amazing like like new Lisa on life because he's found surfing. Look, I gets if you're into surfing, cool, yeah, cool cool cool, But like they treat surfing in this movie like Heroin.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Johnny comes back to the beach and Lori Petty is like, Wow, you look like a totally different person. You look so happy. She's like, normally you have a scowl on your face, like you're doing some kind of class projects, which is excellent writing because he really is doing a class project. The other surfers kind of leave the exaus they realize that, like there's something happening between Tyler and Johnny, and they leave, and Tyler and Johnny stay and bone on the beach.
Speaker 2: Yep. Wake up the next morning and Johnny realizes he's late for the raid that he set up.
Speaker 1: There's a very sexy moment where he knows he's late, but he can't stop kissing her anyway.
Speaker 2: Even though they just slept on the beach in morning breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care. It's Cannon Reeves, Canna Reeves being sexy. This is the first time, honestly that I've gotten Kennu Reeves. I've always loved him as an actor. I think he's so entertaining. I've never understood the sexiness this time yesterday, yesterday night, watching this movie, I was like, yes, I get it.
Speaker 2: He's very sexy in this movie. Yeah, So he gets to the raid. As the raid progresses, we realize that the surf Nazis have like a full arsenal of guns in their house. The raid goes south very quickly, immediately immediately that there is a lot of gunfire. Surf Nazis are getting killed. One of the surf Nazi yats, their girlfriend is in the shower and she starts beating up Johnny fully nude.
Speaker 1: Yes, also one of the At one point, one of the surf Nazis like takes his own girlfriend hostage because he's trying to get the fuck out of the house and there's FBI agents everywhere, and he's like, I'll kill the bitch, you swear. Yeah, And that's the one Papa shoots in the head. Yeah, it goes south because Johnny is trying to signal the other FBI agents to that, like there's an arsenal in the house, get like ab abort, abort, But the guy next door is mowing his.
Speaker 2: Lawn Chekhov's loannemower, like the lawnmower.
Speaker 1: So loud that an FBI agent is incapable of telling his crew to like abhor mission on a very dangerous raid, and I'm like, I think the FBI should maybe have some better equipment or perhaps tell the gentleman to not mow his lawn. Yeah, at quite this moment.
Speaker 2: There's gonna have to be a lot of gunfire.
Speaker 1: I feel like no one did any research on the FBI before they wrote.
Speaker 2: This movie terribly planned raid.
Speaker 1: They just were like, yeah, whatever, they're in the FBI. This all makes sense. Shut up, don't ask questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they managed to get out of the out of the surf Nazi raid unscathed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: At one point, Johnny's head is being held right up against the lawnmower. It's the coolest fuck shot.
Speaker 2: I actually watched through my fingers because I thought I didn't think he was going to get going to lawnmower, but I thought the guy fighting it was yeah, and I didn't want to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair, that would have been gnarly. Yeah, it's a cool shot. And like, of course Papa saves him and like gets the guy. So some of the surf Nazis die. All the FBI agents survive, but they can't celebrate because they find no evidence that these are their bank robbers. No masks anywhere and a special Agent D of the DEA played uncredited by Tom Sizemore, is.
Speaker 2: That Tom Sizemore, Tom size Moore. I did not recognize him.
Speaker 1: He shows up and he reams them out because he has been undercover with the surf Nazis for fucking months because they are meth traffickers and he was trying to get to the main meth trafficker through them, And now the fucking raide is ruined. And this this is the thing. Another thing about like TV shows about cops and movies about cops is like when they don't work together. Yeah, and there's always that scene where they're like, just because you tried to arrest these guys, you ruined my case. And I'm like, why don't you guys talk to each other.
Speaker 2: This movie has everything. It has meth traffickers, It has lawnmowers, It has surf nazi ets fully naked beating the shit at FBI he.
Speaker 1: It has Tom Sizemore, It has Anthony keat Is getting shot in the foot and a closeup of him screaming.
Speaker 2: So we cut to Johnny in bed with Tyler. It's one of those shots where it's an air shot and he's she's kind of croll up sleeping next to him, and he's just staring at the ceiling. He's very upset. His confidence has clearly been shaken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the first person he saw who was like those are the bank robbers turned out and didn't do any further research and not be the bank robbers. Who could have seen that coming Paul.
Speaker 2: So the buzzer rings and it's Body and the crew and they all go surfing, and Johnny sees how Body and all of his friends are like a team. They're like a well oiled machine. And then while surfing, one of the guys pulls down his pants and moons his friends.
Speaker 1: And Johnny suddenly like it all clicks yep, and he's like, hey, this group works really well together and they have a charismatic, smart leader and.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, I've seen that butthole.
Speaker 1: So he puts eight and eight together and comes up with sixteen because he had the answer in front of him. All. It's like the OZ sometimes the answers in front of you the whole time.
Speaker 2: It's inside you.
Speaker 1: It's inside you.
Speaker 2: So he tells Papus his theory. Body and the guys, the ex presidents he's been tailing Body. So we have a time jump here because it goes right from that to like a scene with him and Papas and he is telling him he's been telling body, body's been going to this bank. He thinks he's casing the bank. He's sure this is the next hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also Body is ready to like move on for the summer because he's cleaned out his house. So they've really got to get to them at this next robbery or else they're going to lose them for like a year. So we cut to them sticking out the bank. It's it's ten thirty in the morning. Man, this is Keanu as Papa's is like, I'm starving.
Speaker 2: It sets him to get two full sized meatball subs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not one for each of them.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine the heartburn?
Speaker 1: Two for just you at ten to thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: Oh God.
Speaker 1: So he's like, go, hey, Nuby, go get me a sandwich. And he's fine. So Keanu Reeves goes to like the sandwich Kiosk to get this enormous amount of food at ten thirty in the morning. He's ordering a ton of food. As he's ordering, it.
Speaker 2: Comes to seven dollars and forty eight cents.
Speaker 1: Oh I miss that. Oh my god, does it really? Oh I got tacos earlier today they were ten dollars. So while he's ordering the food, in the background, we can see the car pulling up to the bank and the four bank robbers getting out right and going into the bank real quietly. By the time he returns to the car, they're still in the bank. They see them leaving the bank, so now they're like, oh shit, chase, Chase, Chase. So they give chase. So there's a car chase through the streets of La with the bank robbers, the ex presidents in one car and Papa's and Johnny Utah.
Speaker 2: And the other.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite part of a whole movie. This top to bottom of everything that's about to happen is fucking awesome. Okay, So they start in a car chase. Papa's is shooting at their car and like they're shooting back at them. Then they both accidentally run over those like spikes in the road like they're trying to they're trying to jump into like a parking area, and all their tires are blown out on both cars. They're still driving. They're driving on like naked tires to like a local gas station where they steal a car and they get in the car and they're like, come on, body man, get in the car. We gotta hurry.
Speaker 2: They don't say body.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right. They don't say body, right, because the audience is not supposed to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't know who it is. Could be anyone, could.
Speaker 1: Be anyone with Patrick Swayzey's voice in that Reagan mask, Yeah, who's the ringleader of this gang?
Speaker 2: And body excuse me? Reagan?
Speaker 1: Reagan.
Speaker 2: Reagan wants to destroy the car, so he douses it in gasoline.
Speaker 1: And then he takes the gas pump and creates a flamethrower out of the gas pump and it is awesome.
Speaker 2: He lights the car on fire, and then from over the flaming car appears a leaping Keanu reeves. Yes, the other car takes off. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're like, well, so we can't save him. So they take off in their car and now Reagan is being chased by Johnny on foot. What proceeds to happen is this amazing chase scene that takes like five minutes. It's long, and they're going through like a neighborhood in Los Angeles, and they're going in and out of people's backyards. And my favorite moment of the whole movie comes when at one point there's like a pit bull on a porch and and Reagan picks it up and throws it and Johnny utah.
Speaker 2: He's actually like waiting for him to appear, and then just like tosses the dog at.
Speaker 1: Him, tosses a pitbull at him. Paul, this movie has everything. It has flamethrowers, it has Reagan masks, it has someone throwing a pitbull at someone else. Johnny deflects the pitbull. There's there's an unfortunate like offscreen a sound effect when we hear it going where it's been hurt, which that's not great. Don't do that in movies. The pitple did get like a bite at Johnny's face, so he has some cuts on his face. Now the chase continues and they go to the La Aqueduct, which we've seen this before in Terminator Too.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: The director of that film was married to the director of this film.
Speaker 2: Du Dun du Dundun. Maybe they filmed on the same day, aren't they released the same year?
Speaker 1: Possibly oh Man what like, I love Terminator too. This is a far better.
Speaker 2: So Reagan slides down into the aqueduct. First, he's running across. Johnny follows in. He lands wrong. We've heard about his bum knee and he can't get up. Yeah, And he takes out his gun and he sees Reagan climbing the fence and he takes aim.
Speaker 1: There's a slow close up of Reagan's eye.
Speaker 2: A crystal blue eye through the mask, and he's looking at Johnny, and Johnny's looking at Reagan, and Johnny shouts his fury to the heavens and fires his gun into the sky. He can't shoot his friend, friend.
Speaker 1: He can't shoot his friend. He remember, he's an expert marksman.
Speaker 2: I know this.
Speaker 1: He could have taken him down, but he can't do it. We should have mentioned earlier in this far earlier at the bank when the when they first start chasing them, one of the other robbers almost shoots Johnny and body stops him Reagan, ha, and Reagan stops him so like, it's quid pro quo in a way. You saved my life, now I'm gonna save yours. That is an iconic moment. I love that moment. With Keanu Reeves screaming at the sky and just like unloading his gun at the sky.
Speaker 2: It's also something this will come up later in the movie too, but like to have these enormous, almost Greek tragedy like moments of like emotion in a movie, you have to have an actor that can pull it off.
Speaker 1: And Keanu Reeves can't pull it off.
Speaker 2: He cannot. It is just it is funny for the wrong reasons, but it's wonderful for the right ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, it's so good, all right. So cut to the FBI office. He's his knees banged up, his banged up, His knee is all like bandaged up. Papus is like, so curious that you unloaded your entire weapon and managed not to hit this guy once, even though you're an expert marksman, I don't believe you. And he's like, look, you're getting too close. You can't treat these people as friends. Remember they are bank robbers, and he's like okay, And then he immediately goes to Tyler's.
Speaker 2: House, yes, and she's cleaning his wounds, and he almost confesses to her that he's an FBI agent, but she clearly thinks he's going to tell her that he's in love with her.
Speaker 1: She does that thing I love in movies when someone's about to confess something and she's like, sh you don't have to tell me anything.
Speaker 2: It's not time for this plot point to be revealed.
Speaker 1: Yet every time that happens in a movie, I'm like, you know what, maybe just to let him say whatever he's gonna say.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we cut back to the beach to Body in the gang. This is Is this the first scene sons Keanu reeves in the entire movie? Yeah? Yes, every other he is in every other scene of this movie. Yeah. Wow, this is the confirmation we learned the secret. It actually was Body under the Ragan mass what it was Gramet and Nathaniel and Roach and the other.
Speaker 1: That's another thing, like and Rosie and Body and Roach and Daniel. I like to think that that is actually still a fake name, Like he chose his surf name to be Nathaniel, but his real name is like Jonathan.
Speaker 2: So they all want to quit, They want to get out of dodge or kill Johnny. Body talks them down. He says, this is about more than money. They're showing the rest of the society that society they're dead inside and they're truly living. And he said, I know how to deal with Johnny.
Speaker 1: He has this line that actually struck a chord with me because I'm like now older than these characters and have a day job, like an office job, where he's like, we're just telling these people living in their in their in their metal coffins and they're they're they're tried out husks at their offices, but wow, dead they are. Meanwhile, we're really living. And I'm like, okay, okay, body shut up.
Speaker 2: Man, Okay, So this scene, if just it's our job to critique this scene doesn't work for me.
Speaker 1: Paul, what what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Because I don't see I don't understand the philosophy that he's purporting, Like if they were stealing the money and then like giving.
Speaker 1: It to the poor, No, they're stealing it so they can, like.
Speaker 2: So they can support their lifestyle, so they can so they can follow the waves. Yeah, and he's trying to make it sound noble and it isn't. And I don't think the movie's doing the homework to be like make it seem that body knows that, or if he doesn't know that, what is his actual take on. It is my thing.
Speaker 1: I think he believes his bullshit.
Speaker 2: You think he believes bullshit?
Speaker 1: I do because I think he thinks his life is more noble. It's very matrixy actually if you think about it, like he took the other pill, and he sees like he understands that the world is all fake, it's all insure. At one point when they're robbing those banks at the beginning, he's like, this is not worth dying for. When someone tries to be a hero, he's like, the insurance company will take care of you. So he thinks they're just like gaming the system. He's still a stone cold sociopath, as we are going to see later in the film, but at this point I'm still on the like all right, And also I think the movie is trying to him a little bit by like having him not want to kill Johnny. Although it takes a turn. It takes a little bit of a turn.
Speaker 2: It's in a minute. Yeah, it's it's very odd. Okay, let's keep going. So Tyler finds out john is an FBI agent. How does she confront him about that?
Speaker 1: She wakes him up from a dead sleep by shooting a gun next to his face.
Speaker 2: That is literally the start of a monologue in the Cell Block Tango from Chicago A.
Speaker 1: He had it coming, he had it. He was an FBI agent. He lied about his parents for some reason. Have Lori Petty wearing a shirt that's like open, like they had just had sex. Yeah, and she went through his They don't explain how she discovered he's an FBI agent. She just found his badge, I think in my mind. Also, though I'm sure body said something. He called her up and he's like, hey, girl, could you go through your boyfriend's back pocket for me? I think I love something in there.
Speaker 2: I mean that kind of makes sense because it cuts from Body saying I know how to deal with him to this scene. Yeah, so body is setting something in motion.
Speaker 1: It would seem that way. That's actually not what's happening. So this movie okay, fine, this movie might not be perfect.
Speaker 2: It's not structurally perfect, it's entertainingly perfect.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So he apologizes. She's freaked out. She's like, are your parents even dead? Or was that a fucking line? And he's like, my parents are alive. They live in Ohio. I am one hundred percent on Tyler's side.
Speaker 2: He never speak to him me again.
Speaker 1: Yeah ever Ever, so she runs off. We get like a little bit of a scene where he keeps calling her over and over, and there's a great line here where Keanu's like, look, I'm really sorry, okay, but I care about you. And then he puts the phone down and he's like, why can't I ever say what I feel? It's so amazing. So he's trying to win Tyler back. Meanwhile, like no one's concerned about the fact that, like body in the gang knows where he lives, right, he's not under any kind of protection. He doesn't go like into the office.
Speaker 2: He has a bum knee. He can't run, he can't run away.
Speaker 1: I can't protect himself really, And of course what should happen. Body and the gang show up to his door and they're like pretending they don't know it's him. They're like, uh, hey man, and of course he has to also pretend he doesn't know it's them. It's just very funny. And they're like, hey man, we want to try something with you. We want to do something extra special, and he's like, ummm no, maybe not.
Speaker 2: They're like good, I'm.
Speaker 1: Good, and he's like really quickly hiding his FBI badge and like trying to get to his gun, but he can't get he can't reach his gun in time, and they're like, no, no, it'll be great, it'll be totally amazing. He's like, look, I have a bum knee. I can't go surfing right now. And they're like, no, no, don't worry. You won't need your knee for this.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 1: Where do they take him?
Speaker 2: They take him to a plane and they're all going to go skydiving.
Speaker 1: Skydiving. Is this the only skydiving sequence?
Speaker 2: Certainly not in this film. This movie has everything. It has multiple skydiving sequences. It has bum knees, it has guns being emptied into pillows next to sleeping boyfriends.
Speaker 1: It has Keanu. He was talking about his feelings, so okay, yeah, they go skydiving. There's a funny scene in the I think it's funny in the airplane where like body pnds him like a parachute and he's like, I packed it myself, and Johnny's like, how good are you at packing parachutes? And he's like, oh, do you want to trade? I thought of Vizzini from Princess Bride. He says, you want to trade. I'll give you mine, and he's like he's like, I don't know if I trust this one either. And then all the boys are like, you want to take my pack, you can use my pack, and they all do like Russian roulette with these parachutes. So Johnny's like, fuck it, okay, they must all legitimately be packed, So he decides to go for it, so he jumps out of an airplane with them. There is a like three minute scene of them like gliding through the air.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna make Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves and like all these other actors actually do this stunt, you're gonna use that footage, Yeah, because they really did this stunt. So they're just like gliding through the air. It's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful. It is The cinematography again, is just stunning.
Speaker 1: A former circle. They hold hands in the air and form a circle and then break apart and then they all pull their shoots. There's a funny moment between Body and Johnny where he's like.
Speaker 2: Well, they're hugging each other.
Speaker 1: They're hugging each other, and he's like, all right, you gotta pull your shoe He's like, I'll pull it when you pull yours. Which Hello. Finally they pull their shoots. They're all down on the ground. I'm like, where is this going? I'm like, are they going to adopt him anyway and try to lure him to the dark side?
Speaker 2: I thought they were That's where I thought it was going.
Speaker 1: That seemed to be where it was going. That is not where it is going.
Speaker 2: It surely is not.
Speaker 1: It takes a hard turn right now. What happens next?
Speaker 2: Paul so Body says, coming to the van, I have something I want to show you, and he plays in the video and on the video is Tyler tied up to a chair and next to her is Rosie with a knife. Rosie we haven't talked about yet. He's played by Lee turg Lee Turkison fantastic character actor.
Speaker 1: Also was in Wayne's World.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, playing a very different version of a very similar character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like the Wayn's World characters meaner older brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rosie is kind of been hanging around the outskirts the movie, but he's not a surfer. He just hangs out with those guys, becausen't We don't ever see him surfing with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like a little bit their muscle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Patrick Swayze is basically like, you're gonna do what I tell you because if I don't show up where I'm supposed to be at three pm, Rosie's gonna kill Tyler.
Speaker 1: So for the next six hours, you are my prisoner. You have to do everything I say.
Speaker 2: Escalates very quickly.
Speaker 1: And like Keanu Reeves is like like furious, and he's like, let her go, man, And then my favorite line in the entire movie comes up. Oh no, my second favorite line. So they're in the back of the van and they're about to do another bank robbery. They're like, you have to do it with us, man, and so they give him a kevlar vest and an empty gun, and he's like, I am an FBI agent. This movie has everything. It has Keanu Reeves saying I am an FBI agent. So they don't give him a president mask, which is I think shitty because I'm sure there's a JFK mask somewhere. Yeah, they don't give it. And also, no one got a Gerald Ford mask. Come on, poor Ford, No one remembers him, no one cares about Ford. They make him go into the bank, show his face to the cameras and everything with a loaded gun, very Patty Hurst. They start their normal robbery routine. Ninety seconds, hit the hit the drawers, blah blah blah. Body decides to go off script. Body's kind of losing it at this point.
Speaker 2: This was a point in the movie where I was like, why is he going off script? I wish the movie had done a little bit more work to be like, why is the reason he wants to go into the vault now? Because he's been very kind of cold and calculating up until up until now about this. So something is making him.
Speaker 1: Could it be his friend's betrayal?
Speaker 2: It's making him reckless?
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I think that's what it is. The movie. We're doing a lot of work for the movie. It hasn't really done enough, I think, to establish that these two are so still. It hasn't close that, Like the betrayal is like a thing for him, like you met him a month ago. But yeah, he's losing his mind because his friend betrayed him.
Speaker 2: I think, right, that's I think that's what it's positing. Yeah, but I think the movie could have spelled that out a little bit more. If you're not going to be able to show me it. Then you should have told me.
Speaker 1: It or made them lovers. I'm serious, just get them lovers. So I mean, I wouldn't be mad if I.
Speaker 2: Made the Remake's where it would be going.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah. So right, So suddenly he switches the script and he's like, go for the vault, and the other guys are like, whoa what are you talking about. He's like, go for the fucking vault. We have thirty seconds go. So they go for the vault. But now it's taking too long. Now they're getting reckless. Now there's not enough crowd control because Keanu's not about to fucking shoot the crowd. There's an off duty cop is one of the hostages. He takes out his gun and tries to be a hero. It starts a full fucking firefight. He shoots Keanu and he shoots Body, but both of them are wearing Kevlar vests so they survive. Then he shoots which one is that gram at the baby baby one? He shoots him in the neck, so he bleeds out and dies. And at that point, Body, who's never actually in the car. Right on the way here, Body was espousing another bullshit philosophy to Keanu about how like he never has to hurt anybody because he uses like his mental power over them to like not hurt them, blah blah blah, and Keanu is at this point, Johnny's like, I'm not buying any more of your bullshit, your guru bullshit. He loses his mind and shoots the cop and then he and the gang leave. They leave Johnny in the bank and they cold cock him on the way out.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's unconscious.
Speaker 1: Johnny comes to and he's being arrested by his boss for bank robbery and like expecsory to murder again wild why he is an undercover agent?
Speaker 2: The video would show that he didn't shoot anybody, and then the robbers hit him in the head on the way out, and that.
Speaker 1: He's being pretty much dragged in there against his will.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't he cover his face?
Speaker 1: This makes no sense, but that's part of the term of the PHO, I think. And he's like, you're under arrest, utah, And at this point Papus is like, you know what, fuck you and he punches the director in the face.
Speaker 2: Knocks him out with one punch and is like, let's get out of here. Let's get those guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, So then they go off. Johnny knows where they're going because he heard their plan. They're heading to Santamana Airport, go to Santa Monica Airport. The only thing is Papa's we can't hurt them or arrest them because they have a hostage and we need to protect her. Papas is not happy about it, but he's gonna do it anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, it's gonna listen to listen to his young protege.
Speaker 1: So they get to the airport and it all escalates very quickly. Body and Johnny get into like a John dickswinging content. Johnny does this like Kennery's this is amazing, I'm not armed twirl Yeah. He's like, I'm not armed, and he does like a full like I don't know ballet enough, but like.
Speaker 2: A PK turn basically yes, and.
Speaker 1: He's like I'm not armed, and I'm like that was hot. Do that again. Body's gonna basically hijack this plane and take it to Mexico.
Speaker 2: The pilot pops out a couple times, be like I'm not doing it, and he's like, get back in there. You're taking us to Mexico. The Pilot's like, okay, ok So it all goes south very quickly, right, there's a standoff, firefight breaks out and essentially Papus kills Nathaniel and shoots Roach and he gets killed himself. Yes, okay. When Papas gets shot and kill, Keanu is asked to shout the word no. Yeah. It's another one of those Greek tragedy moments where you have to have like the engine behind it or else. It just sounds hollow, and it sounds so hollow. It just it just lands as a joke. It's just I laughed, yes, And I mean the body count on this movie is skyrocketing in the last five minutes and I'm laughing at like one of the main characters being murdered.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, so there's a there's like a scene where Nathaniel like kind of dies in Bodie's arms and body gets so angry and he basically forces Johnny onto the plane with him, which this decision I especially don't understand. Yeah, he forces Johnny onto the plane. He gets Roach, he's wounded, who's deeply wounded and is bleeding out, and Johnny's like leave him. He's dying, like's if he stays at the airport, he'll get medical attention. Yeah, and he's they're like, fuck off, man. He puts a parachute on roach. Body does he puts a parachute on himself. He tells the pilot to fly them over Mexico. They jump out of the airplane and they leave Johnny there with a gun. For some I don't understand any of their motivation, any of body's motivation.
Speaker 2: And it's a big gun too. It's like one of those Western like a long.
Speaker 1: Nozzle three fifty seven magnum or whatever. It's like a dirty, hairy gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He like throws the gun at Johnny before he like jumps off the plane. Before that happens, Johnny is like, okay, they have Rosie like on the on the walkie talking and he's like, tell him to let Tyler go. You don't know that your parachute's going to open. At least let Tyler go before anything else. I'm already dead anyway. For some reason, Body's like fuck you, man, and he won't do it. My theory is Body is so in love with Johnny and he's now jealous that, like Johnny has this girlfriend.
Speaker 2: He kind of wants Tyler to die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I can't have him, No, one can't exactly. So he jumps out of the airplane and then, in the greatest moment in the movie, Keanner Reads jumps after him with no parachute. He takes the gun and he dives in the air, chasing after the criminal that He's like, it's like an FBI agent thing where he's like, no, I have to get my criminal. I have to make this arrest.
Speaker 2: He lands on the top of Body in midair and they're grappling in midair, face to face, centimeters from their lips meeting.
Speaker 1: A and Johnny's like, pull the cord, man, because they're getting close to the ground, and Body's like, Nope, you can't hold the gun and pull the cord. You drop the gun and you pull the cord. Basically, they're playing chicken again, and Johnny finally drops his gun, pulls the cord. They still land really hard because they waited too long to pull the cord. Johnny's ne goes out again. It's fucking me. Body makes a clean getaway. Roach is already dead before he hits the ground. Rosie is waiting for them. He lets Tyler go j lingerie. Tyler runs to Johnny. I will say, here's the caveat to the you lied to me about your dead parents thing. If the person then tracks you to Mexico to rescue you from your kidnapper, I might give him a second chance.
Speaker 2: Fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: He can't fuck up again, but I'm gonna give him a second chance, which she seems to do.
Speaker 2: It's a two strike situation.
Speaker 1: So she hugs him. She's so thrilled, and the two and Body and Rosie drive off, leaving Tyler and Johnny in the Mexican desert.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the desert, no one knows where they are. Papus his dad, He's not even gonna be looking for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so sure, sure, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Months later we cut I think a year later even.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kannarooves. His hair is longer now, so you know, time is passed.
Speaker 2: He looks less attractive of the longer hair. He should have kept it. Disagree.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's that is an unfortunate opinion. All right, we'll just do with that what we have to.
Speaker 2: Yep, he's at Bell's Beach in Australia. Yeah, there's a massive storm there, just like Body said there would be it's the fifty year storm.
Speaker 1: A bunch of surfers are leaving the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're basically like, if you go out there, you're dead. Yeah. And he walks up and he finds body contemplating the ocean. His hair has been cut. This entire I don't feel like we've given enough attention to Patrick Swayzey's hair. This entire movie is.
Speaker 1: His glorious mane of sun kissed hair.
Speaker 2: Like a lion. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know who wears a sun tan very well, Paul Patrick. This movie has everything.
Speaker 2: So they get into a fight. They start literally beating the shit of each other on the speech during this very strong storm.
Speaker 1: It is like it is like King Lear. Yeah, they're fighting in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kanu, by the way, is wearing like head to toe denim, so that has to be uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Keanu and Body gets the better of him.
Speaker 2: Body's holding his head underwater. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Body's actually like about to kill Johnny, or at least some do Johnny. And then Johnny grabs his handcuffs and handcuffs himself to body, which I think was his intention the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yep, he just didn't want Body to get away again. No.
Speaker 1: There's even a line at one point where body's like, you're gonna lose your man this time. So body's like no. So just as Johnny handcuffs himself to body, a couple of helicopters arrived with a bunch of cops, Australian cops swarming the beach or coming down the beach, and Body's like, you can't do this to me, man, I'm never gonna survive if I have to be put in a cage. Let me ride one more wave, let me go out there, and then they cut to the ocean and it is a comically like it is a two hundred fIF fucking wave. It's a tsunami heading towards them, and he's like, let me go, man, let me ride this one more wave. I've got to do it. And like the cops are swarming this beach and they're both they're both drenched and they both look incredibly attractive, and Keanu goes via a kundos, which is my actual favorite line in the room.
Speaker 2: He says it with less inflection than what you used to. It's he says via con.
Speaker 1: He doesn't say dios correctly though, like he's good Dios manages to really really ring, ring all the Spanish out of that word.
Speaker 2: It's almost via con.
Speaker 1: Via condos dios, and he unhandcuffs Patrick Swayzey body goes off into the ocean. All the cops are like, what have you done? And then one cop says, well, we'll just get him when he comes back. And they're all watching him surf except for Keanu, who's turned away at this point. And he throws his FBI badge in the ocean and he goes He's not coming back from this one.
Speaker 2: End of movie.
Speaker 1: I love this movie.
Speaker 2: It's perfect stick around. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and we're going to ring a little more love out of point break with some random observations Erica, what you got?
Speaker 1: One of my favorite Harp lines is, uh, I guess we must have ourselves an asshole shortage. Huh. This is his boss. You know what, when you start a new job, if in the first ten minutes your boss is like, you're an asshole, just leave, don't you know what. I don't need this.
Speaker 2: It's not worth it.
Speaker 1: It's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Something else is Harp says to him on his first days. I know you young, dumb and full of cumb is nice? Is something straight men say to each other.
Speaker 1: I feel like this movie was written by like, I don't know who the writer is, but this movie was like written as a gay allegory and he doesn't understand straight talk at all, and it's like just winging it. That line, by the way, that I was looking for h with body. At the end, when he's about to jump off the airplane, he goes, looks like, this time you won't be getting your man this game we both lose. I'm like, if that's not a confession of love, I don't know what the fuck is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is at one point Kean who has to say, the name's Johnny Utah.
Speaker 1: The name's Johnny Utah.
Speaker 2: Of course it is, dear.
Speaker 1: The fashion report isn't great. Keanu blessedly just really has to wear like a T shirt and jean the whole movies, he suit. He looks great. As discussed, Patrick Swayzey can make anything work. Poor Lori Petty does a lot of the heavy lifting with the nineties clothing, and at one point they have her wearing jean shorts with no underwear because she changes on the beach and jean shorts but with no underwear, and I'm like, oh her, her lady is getting get all toro. I don't care for this wet jean shorts.
Speaker 2: There's a part on the beach where they have to light up the campfire and they have like a bottle of kerosene or gasoline or something, and than just opening it and dumping the kerosene on the fire, they have to take a gigantic bowie knife and like cut it open and then pour it in. This movie has everything.
Speaker 1: It doesn't it feel like a fever dream like you're talking about. It's a stuff on sketch. This movie has every It has the guy from Scrubs. It has Gary Busey.
Speaker 2: The first skydive in a moment of perfect camp I don't know if you notice this. It goes by very quickly. Bodie is the first person to jump out of the plane and Patrick Swayzey does it in a perfect pike position.
Speaker 1: Yes he does, Yes, yes he does. Patrick Swayzey is so good. You're right, he is the best actor in the movie. But well, you know, I would actually argue that Gary Busey does an excellent job to get like he does the part he's meant to play, right, But Patrick Swayzey brings so much like joy to this character. He's great, He's really something. Other line that I I was like, what the fuck? It's same. It's in the FBI office when when Pappus is telling Johnny about the gang and he's like, then they're gone. They vanish like a virgin on prom night. I don't like that. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: When in the plane during the right before the last dive, when body is about to like load the dying roach out of the plane and his last words, his last line of the movie is I'll see you in hell, Johnny. Ah, these are not hippies. These surfers are not peace loving.
Speaker 1: That's right, because Johnny's like, I hope you enjoyed dying in midair roach, Fuck you man.
Speaker 2: I have one more. We didn't talk about the scene much, but the scene right before Johnny and Tyler sleep together on the beach. She must have been so comfortable. What a wonderful first night together. They have them like in the ocean on their surfboards and they start making out in the ocean. I swear there is a moment where you can actually see Lori Petty's lips trembling. If you think about how cold they must have been, sure, sitting in the ocean at night. The shot is beautiful, gorgeous, breathtaking, but they must have been freezing cold. Yeah, and they're going for the kiss and I swear you can see her lips just like trembling is just be like, I'm so fucking cold. This shot better be it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this better looks so good? Paul, how are we going to rate.
Speaker 2: Point break one to ten?
Speaker 1: Buttholes one to ten via condiosis.
Speaker 2: One to ten. This movie has everything.
Speaker 1: This movie has everything, Paul. Would you like to go first?
Speaker 2: Or shall I? You know what? You go first? I want you to have this moment.
Speaker 1: Ten out of ten. This might be my first.
Speaker 2: Ten out of ten. It's not death becomes Her Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So here's the thing. Is it a good movie? No, here's a shit. It's directed by a woman, it stars an Asian man. There's not that many other people of color. But I'll give it. But that level of diversity for nineteen nine one was astounding. As it is, it's ridiculous. It is so entertaining. Ten out of motherfucking tens, this movie has everything.
Speaker 2: This is a good time to point out that many people forget that Keanu Reeves is Asian of Asian descent. We should say everyone should be required to say Keanu Reeves is a person of color and Catherine Zida Jones is not. Keanu Reeves is a person of color and Katherine Zida Jones is not. Okay, I'm not quite as high as the movie as you are. I really enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun. Everything you said, who cares? Is it a good movie? No, but it's a fun movie.
Speaker 1: It's the best. It's so fun, it's.
Speaker 2: So entertaining, it's it's what the phrase popcorn entertainment was created for. Like, it's dumb and Keanu Reeves is bad in it.
Speaker 1: It's young, dumb and full of cos.
Speaker 2: There it is. I'm gonna give it an eight. I'm gonna given an eight out of ten. This movie has everything. I think it goes really violent at the end, and I actually think if they had made Body believe in his own bullshit enough that he really didn't like, like if they turned him into a sociopath, and I think he would have been more interesting as a person of feeling who actually like bought his own shit a little bit more. Yeah, because in the beginning, when you think that's what he is, I find him more compelling. In the end, when they have him go full villain, I actually find him less compelling. And I should we should stop saying sociopath because like, like they have him not care.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's pretty much a sociopath, right.
Speaker 2: I just mean I don't know exactly what the diagnosis is and don't want to use the word incorrectly.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I mean he just he is very he's like a cult leader, right, so he's more interested in his own cult of personality than he is in anyone else's feeling. Well maybe I don't know. Maybe he loves Johnny, Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 2: Well, and he seems to love like his guys, like his his his followers.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: And now I'm just writing a different movie, so whatever. But like, I think it would have held together at the end more if like if they were going to kill all these guys, like have him start to go wrong because his followers are being killed. What if the first guy was killed before he told him to go for the vault. Let that amp up, so you see him start to lose control, as opposed to him just being like, I'm going to kill this girl, this woman that I used to sleep with.
Speaker 1: I don't think he ever had any intention of killing her.
Speaker 2: I think the movie wants you to believe he will, though, Well, he said I couldn't do it. That's why I have Rosie there. He'll cut her like a fish, that's true. So he's definitely putting her in danger, or he certainly wants Johnny to think he is. Yeah, so it kind of falls apart a little bit at the end. For me, this is structural shit on a movie that you should not think about. Structural shit.
Speaker 1: I was actually just thinking about this too, And there's so much toxic masculinity in the film that the silliness of it I think actually takes a lot of the edge off. Yeah, because it could have been really hard to watch with the like no female characters. All the guys are like these dick swinging like all the FBI agents are like insufferable. Of the surf Nazis are insufferable. This gang of ex Presidents is pretty insufferable most of the movie, except for Body. But the silliness really takes the edge off of all of that. Yeah, and so like you're like, I don't, I like, like I could watch these FBI agents scream at each other all day. Yeah, because I don't take them seriously at all. So I know that's certainly not the intention, but that is the result, and I kind of love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, So I'm gonna stick like eight out of ten. This movie has everything. No palate cleanser.
Speaker 1: Do you need a palate cleanser?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. It's exactly what it is. It it doesn't try to be anything other than what it is. We have broken it down for you if it sounds like something you would like. It is streaming for free on Showtime right now. It's fun. It's a fun, fun movie. Watch it on a plane. Actually, don't watch it on a plane because you want to be able to see the shots of the ocean, which really are I think could have been award winning. Yeah, like they're gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no palate cleansers here either, surprise.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else that we have to say about this movie?
Speaker 1: This movie has everything. It has someone throwing a pit bull at someone else.
Speaker 2: It has Patrick Swayzey doing a full pike at eight thousand feet.
Speaker 1: It has Patrick Swayzey's glorious mane of sunkissed hair.
Speaker 2: It has Keanu Reeves yelling no.
Speaker 1: It has baby Kristen Stewart.
Speaker 2: It has a hot magenta surfboard.
Speaker 1: It has Keanu Reeves saying I am.
Speaker 2: An FBI agent, and it has buttles.
Speaker 1: Johnny Utah says to Tyler, what's he searching for? And she goes the ride, the ultimate ride.
Speaker 2: Johnny'll give him the Ultimate ride, Yes, he will,