Speaker 1: Here is your channel on first warning weather forecasts. Scattered showers storms included up until midday. They don't be mostly Sunday with a high eighty overnight low sixty four is from clouds eighty six with sunny skies tomorrow and overnight low sixty eight with a few clouds seventy two degrees. Right now, it's time for a traffic update from the UC down tramps in the center.
Speaker 2: Right now, over one hundred thouyeh are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donations and u see health dot com slayers transplant. He spend two seventy five Bruisan cleared the accident at Moustella left lanes open again. Traffic looking for months much better from seven to forty seven. Elsewhere highway traffic and pretty good shape with no means time delays. It all shot ingram on fifty five krs the talk.
Speaker 1: Station eight thirty fifty five KRCD talk station. It being Thursday is the time of week I certainly look forward to. It's a discussion with iHeartMedia aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. Welcome, back, my friend. Love having you on the show. Good morning.
Speaker 3: If I sound bummed, it's because the stock markets closed today, so I'm kind of lost.
Speaker 1: June teenth and a happy Juneteenth. All those folks out there that are celebrating the very important holiday can't discount the importance of it. Flipping over aviation is I want to start with the Air India plane crash. Obviously that this story broke last week when we were talking, and the timing couldn't have been better in light of the tragedy. Of course, we had very little information at the time, a lot of speculation, and I've seen swirling speculation since then. Have we learned anything specifically about the cause, the nature of the crash, or anything else along those lines, Jay Ratliff.
Speaker 3: We have a little bit more of brand, not much. The good news is both black boxes have been recorded. The we've been recovered the cockpit voice recorder is was the last one that they found. This was one that if it's not been damaged by the fire, the heat, the magnetic tapes that make up the black box, they're going to be able to hear the pilot's conversations back and forth. They're going to hear the alarms in the cockpit, they're going to hear the discussions on trying to solve the problem at hand. The first black box they found was the flight data recorder. That's going to give them all the instrument readings, all the headings when things were changed, what was operational, what was malfunctioning. Those black boxes are going to be critical given the fact that we don't have sadly the flight crew to interview to talk to that type of thing with everybody but one soul on board perishing, so that's important. The other thing that they were able to determine is apparently the RAM, the RAM air turbine was deployed. This is a little propeller thing that is designed on these aircraft that if there's a power loss, it drops down in this propeller speed that turns it almost the speed of sound, and it provides some basic electrical power to the flight deck. So that issue it is in essence, yeah, it was. It was deployed and from some of the pictures, apparently it was down. Now that's a critical piece of data because if we're interpreting that right, that would mean that they were experiencing some sort of a power issue and that would make sense from the standpoint that you and I remember we're talking about, why in the world was the landing gear down? Yeah, because typically as the airplane takes off within fifty feet, they rotate, they come off the ground the and the gear is immediately retracted because then it becomes more of an aerodynamic aircraft, easier to take off. All that, although the fact if it was down doesn't mean that it would cause the airplane to crash, But if there was a hydraulic problem where they had engine power issues, you would not have the power required to retract the gear, So that might explain the fact that the crew was fighting some sort of a lack of power issues. So right now, that's kind of some of the leading thoughts, And of course the investigation. Normally about a week to ten days after the black boxes are received, the investigated bodies will provide some sort of an initial update letting us know if the black boxes had any information, are they still going to be good to look at, And then about thirty days after we get another update, and then typically nothing until the final report eight to twelve months out. So with seventy nine airlines around the world using these Boeing Dreamliners a nearly twelve hundred of them flying around. If there's any sort of a mechanical concern, we need to find out what it is as quickly as we can, because you know you've got that. But you know, this isn't like a Boeing Max issue. This is not a new airplane that just rolled out with a lot of new upgrades and software packages. This is an airplane that's been flown five million times, more than a billion passengers over the last fourteen fifteen years with no serious issues like this. So it's a completely different than what we had before. But you know, obviously some big concerns and we got to find out what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to ask, maybe it sounds like a stupid question to you, but if there was an electrical problem, and would that cause both engines to shut down completely? I mean that interconnected, that a complete electrical outage would prevent the engines from operating.
Speaker 3: You're talking about two independently operating systems. That's kind of what I was hoping failure. It's like a trillion to one possibility. The only reason typically that you'd have a dual engine failure would be if a you had a bird ingestion, which apparently did not happen, even though some people are still leaning to that like we did with the miracle on the Huston. But you know, one of the things you and I talked about last Thursday was when I first saw that video of the aircraft, there was no signs of aircraft to stress. There wasn't any smoke coming out of the engines, no sparks, no flames, the things you would typically see if there was an ingestion of any kind that would cause the aircraft engine to start to malfunction. The engines apparently had you know, no smoke or anything like that. And the other thing would be fuel contamination if you had water in the fuel or something like that that has happened before, that would cause the engines to not operate. But most of the time you wouldn't be able to take off, you wouldn't have the.
Speaker 1: Power to do right.
Speaker 3: So that's also kind of a well it's a theory, but and really, right now, that's all we have is a bunch of theories to try to explain this. Because this is the worst disaster we've had in two decades, and to have an airplane just fall out of the sky like that is horrific and it's also something that typically doesn't happen. And that's why the investigators are going to be you know, the Indian officials are going to be charge the National Transportation Safety Board and Boeing is going to be there to assist, and those investigators are going to try to do, like we say all the time, honor the lives of those that were lost by finding out what happened, and Brian, I'm confident they will and we'll learn from it make aviation safer as a result. But right now there's no clear cut indication of what caused those engines to simply not provide the thrust that's required to get that airplane off the ground.
Speaker 1: Hopefully were revealed by the black boxes. Will continue with Jay Rattleff after these brief words, if you can stick around fifty five the talk station open. Aye is a financial abomination. I heart media aviation expert. Yeah, Jay, I was just thinking about you. Normally I get some email from you after our conversation telling me how much money you made during our conversation trade and stocks and your stock method. Yeah, daytrade fund dot com, but not today. I know. Let's get ready to start off with that. It's like, wait a second, you already got that.
Speaker 3: Same But I'm sure to say TGI I am because you know our group, my students. I love Mondays because you can't trade stocks on the weekend. But yeah, I don't think TG I am is going to be a phrase it's going to catch on to too easily.
Speaker 1: You can sell them at daytrade fund dot com.
Speaker 3: You gotta yeah, I mean, but nobody's gonna love Mondays other than than those of us who use the market languages.
Speaker 1: Amen, brother, real quick here. You may have said this already. I know you said. The investigation of the Air India plash crashes, it's going to be a year before they reach final conclusions or something. How long do you think it's going to be before the general public has an understanding of what the black boxes suggest that the conversations are reporting on, you know, various components or information that's on those black boxes.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking within the next week. I'm hoping before you and I talk again next Thursday, there will be some sort of of an announcement because they've had the black boxes for several days and the first question is are we going to be able to use these for answers, and I think that's something that they're going to come out with in the next few days and say, hey, the good news is they're not damaged past the point of us being able to retrieve the data that we need, and that's certainly going to be good news. And of course the next question is going to be what are you finding out? And they may or may not give an indication of what the investigation is beginning to uncover. And that's the reason that the National Transfertation Safety for I call them an all star team here in the United States. They're so good at what they do, Briant that they allow the evidence to dictate the course of the investigation. None of the investigative teams is going to go into this thinking, well, this is what we think happened, and let's look for evidence to support that they've learned. Because of how good they are, we're going to allow the evidence to dictate what we look at and look for the sequence of events that could have led to this type of tragedy taking place. And you know, when you have so much video that captures this horrific event, it's a the mindset of so many people around the world, and you know, we want answers and we want him now, but that takes.
Speaker 1: Time, certainly. Well again, hopefully we'll have something sooner rather than later on that because we are all wildly curious a coffee spill. I mean, it's like the McDonald's case. Woman spills coffee on herself and ends up getting millions of dollars. And we got an airline flight attendants spilling coffee on a passenger and enter a lawsuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this happened two years ago, and typically they have two years to.
Speaker 1: File the court the lawsuit.
Speaker 3: And yep, this happened on I think with Scandinavian Airlines or Sitting International Airline where the coffee was spilled, and the woman is suing for ten million dollars for all these things that have happened to her. And the ps to this is the husband is suing for one million dollars because he's lost the services of his wife. Now, Brian, I almost stopped reading at that point because I didn't want to know much more past at but yeah, he is also doing for a million dollars for those reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm guessing it landed in her lap.
Speaker 3: It did, and uh, she had she'd have some surgery and some other things. And you know the thought was that it was too and look, we all kind of chuckled, not chuckle, chuckle, but you know when the McDonald's lawsuit came out. But you know, we see where that went. So you never know where this is gonna gonna go. But I don't like drinking coffee on an airline because the water lines on the aircraft are not cleaned. And when you look at the making photos of these, yeah, bloods, its just no. Bring it on to yourself, please leave, leave, leave now. You don't see the flight of standing around sipping on coffee or drinking the water for a reason. And if you're not eating your bread, but you want to google some of these images, you can. But I'm I do not cherry, and I will bring our coffee on board because I will not. I'm sorry, I will not well that.
Speaker 1: You know valuable information. I do appreciate you passing along, but Lord Almighty, that has just got me completely grossed out.
Speaker 3: Give a zero for timing. I my apologies.
Speaker 1: No, no, listen, man, I made a comment about hotel rooms and how I'll never use a hotel room coffee maker, because I've seen online videos about perverts and weirdos out there and the kind of thing they do generally speaking in hotel rooms. You know, you don't want to hear about it. It grosses you out, but it's valuable information. Nonetheless, pause will.
Speaker 3: Bring you the criminal minds of you know, black lights. Yeah, see all kinds of things you would want to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll frick Jack Ratliff back for one more. We promise not to go back down that road. Eight forty five ify five cares at the talk station fifty five KRC dot com more time the channel. I will scattered storms up until midday that it'll be mostly sunny in a high of eighty, few clouds in a low sixty four overnight sunny and a high of eighty six tomorrow overnight a few clouds in a low of sixty eight, closing out at seventy three degrees. Time for final traffick chuck ingram.
Speaker 2: From the UCF Tramphings Center. Right now, over one hundred thousand feedpoort waiting in hoping for an organ transplant to save their live. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donation at uce Help dot com slash transplant clean slate on the highways thanks to the Juneteenth holiday, no accidents to deal with, not even a broken down slowing things down, and no delays either.
Speaker 1: Schuck Ingram on.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight fifty five KRC detalk station closing out a Thursday on a positive note with iHeart need the aviation expert Jay rat left pivoting over Terry Bradshaw, apparently dealing with the TSA. What's the story all about? Jay Ratlift, who was going through.
Speaker 3: An airport, was selected for secondary screening, so they pulled him off to the side. He took his shoes off, went through all of his luggage item by item by item, and then did the enhanced pat down and then took him to another room, did another pat down, and he's like, look, I'm all for security, but this is ridiculous. He cooperated, he went along with it fine, but he just didn't understand why. You know, he was the one being he said, singled out and it's a random thing. At the security checkpoint. One of the things that they do to add an extra layer of security is to introduce a random element to the screening. Every so often a passengers pulled out for that additional screening, and there's a purpose for it, and when it happens to Terry Bradshaw becomes a viral moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and you know, as is so often the case, Not that I'm racially profiling or anything, but you know, the people that they randomly select quite often the other like eighty nine year old women in wheelchairs and stuff like that. It's like, are you serious You're gonna pull something like that out and subjected to a body cavity search. Does she look like a terrorist? Does she look like someone who represents a danger to society?
Speaker 3: I mean no, But but Brian, I will say this, there's a lot of times the elderly are used to smuggle things through.
Speaker 1: By other people.
Speaker 3: So many times we're not worried about them, We're worried about you know, especially some that may maybe from a memory standpoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I get that point. I'm glad you made it, because you know, it's easy to you know, dupe the senior population that tend to be far more trust thing. And of course you could handle me like a kilo of cocaine or stuff another purse or something like that they might not even be aware that they've got it. All right, all right, fair enough, exactly, all right. Now, Skytracks apparently looking into the airlines the best in the world. Who should we be flying with? According to Skytracks, Jay.
Speaker 3: Well, let's see Cutter Caman's first, Singapore second, Tata Pacific third. And if you're interested in a see where the you know, the top US airline came in in the top twenty, Well, scroll, baby, scroll, because you're not going to find it. Someone go one to twenty. Nobody's there from the US. Is that a shocker? No, Skytracks is one of They're called the oscars of the rankings because they're the ones that they do. It's such a comprehensive. They look at customer service, maintenance, the age of fleet, there's so many things that.
Speaker 1: They look at. The water lines, Jay, the plan that.
Speaker 3: I wish they would delta came in twenty second and the next US carrier was United at fifty first word, yeah, we should be embarrassed. But airlines do not care about service, period. They care about profits, and they treat us like crap, and we keep coming back. And as I say all the time, there is zero incentive for an airline to change how they treat us because we keep coming back, we keep building up the airplanes, they keep making a billion dollars a year, whatever it happens to be. You see Delta and American and I believe United, who have changed their upgrade procedures. I'm getting so many emails from people of Delta saying, Jay, I'm a freaking flyer. I normally can upgrade from coach to first class. I'm now boarding flights being told I can't be putting first and there's five empty seats in first class because now Delta and others are like, well, you either need to burn miles or pay for that seat. They're ticking off their frequent flyers and they do not care. And that's the reason that when you take a lot of these customer service rankings, that there's no US airline that ever ever makes the top twenty from the world standpoint, which you know, we should be in the top ten, we should be dominating some of these things, and we never are.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more but your service. But let me ask you this. Your airlines in the business are making money. So are the top twenty on the list. They're in the bus some making money. That's how they exist as a transporting people via aircraft. So how is it that their business model allows them to provide such wonderful By contrast, customer service and a flight experience when we dealt or cant here.
Speaker 3: It's their focus. And when you have people that fly international airlines many times for the first time, I get emails from people around the country. Jay, Oh my gosh, I'd sitting and coach and I had more room, the food was good, that people are actually nice to me. It was a totally different experience. It's like they've been transported back forty years in time here in the United States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good time.
Speaker 3: When you were you felt appreciated. But you know, these days, it's not it's a cattle call, it's Black Friday. It's they shove you on the airplane load factors. You know, thirty years ago, forty fifty percent of the airplane was full. Now that's eighty to ninety five percent of the plane's full. You've got people trying to carry on more bags than ever, and they swing them in the aisle to making out two or three passengers at a time. And it's it's so frustrating that some people say, Jay, I just don't want to fly anymore because of the hassle. We'll take extra time and we'll drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be.
Speaker 3: Not as safe to drive. Then we'll share and I do a lot more driving than flying. We're tired of it. We instead of flying back and forth to Savannah, while we also carry a lot of stuff back and forth for some reason still, but you know, we load up the truck and away we go. H And I don't miss the flying because of the hassles that we have. And you know airlines be at Delta United, whoever. The focus on customer service has just never been there. And if it was, it was decades ago. And when I look at them now talking about how you know they want to provide the best service public, No, they don't. It's a profit oriented business. I understand that. And they're going to treat us anyway that they feel like.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, as we always end. Let's talk about hub delay. Is a good day to fly out there, Jay Ratliffe.
Speaker 3: You know Chicago's going to have some weather issues this morning, Atlanta this evening. Other than those two major hubs, which represents I don't know, seventy percent of the traffic that's going to be going through the airports today. It's going to be a pretty good day to fly across the country. But obviously if you're going to be going through either of those two hubs, get to the airport early just in case there are any problems with your high Tenori gives them, the agents a chance to address any problems and in stick them well in advance.
Speaker 1: I always enjoy our discussions, Jay Rattlff. Look for next Thursday with another round of the Aviation Report with our iHeartMedia aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. Love you brother and best of health and love your better half as well, my friend.
Speaker 3: Same to your pal. Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 1: Thanks Man eight fifty five fifty five K City Talk Station Corey Bowman full hour in studio. Vote Corey Bowman from May of the City of Cincinnati, Try something new seriously. Congressman David Taylor Immigration supporting the CBP officers a word or two about war powers considering the UH position we may find ourselves in relative to the Israel Iran situation. Podcast at five KRCY dot com. As always, thank you Joe Strecker for the work you do. Without Joe, the show don't go, Executive producer Joe Strecker. Folks, hope you have a wonderful day. Tune in tomorrow for Tech Friday with Dave Patter, and stick around because Glenn Beck's coming up next. Big things are happening. We're coming to you live right now. We'll tell you more at the top of the hour six and eighty arrest just in this one, Operation fifty five KRC, the talkstation. This reboard is sponsored by